United Airlines

"I instantly regret it"

(Japan)

Verified Review | San Francisco to Tokyo Narita. SFO lounge closed at international terminal, food was terrible, bag was lost and delivered only a day later despite a direct flight. Terrible service. Every time I use United Airlines I instantly regret it. The ground staff wasn't helpful nor friendly in SFO
RouteSan Francisco to Tokyo Narita
Date FlownOctober 2017

"not be flying them again"

Verified Review | Las Vegas to San Francisco. I purchased a last minute flight home to Las Vegas to spend time with family. Because it was so last minute, I was looking for cheap tickets and United had the best deal. I booked a 5:50 AM flight back to San Francisco in order to land and get to work. Having flowing in and out of McCarran International Airport quite frequently on early morning flights, I knew that I should be able to move through things fairly quickly. I arrived at the airport at 5:05 AM. I went to a kiosk to print my boarding pass and was stopped. United Airlines employees told me that I was too late to get on my 5:50 AM flight, and that I would have to wait in the ticketing line to rebook my flight. I kept trying to explain to them that at I still had over forty-five minutes until my flight left and that I wasn't checking any baggage, but they wouldn't listen to me. Instead, they forced me to stand in a ticketing line for 20 minutes by which point it really was too late for me to make the flight. When I got to the counter the woman rebooking me acted as though I was checking my back. When I explained that I wasn't, she got what can only be described as an "oh no" look on her face. Then, she very apologetically explained to me that a mistake had been made, and that I should have been permitted to pass through and get on the flight. Apparently, despite having tried to explain the exact same thing multiple times to the other employees they chose to stop me anyway. I had missed the cut off for passengers trying to check luggage (45 mins) but not for people just trying to print their boarding pass and go straight through to the flight (30 mins). What made it even more frustrating was that I arrived in the terminal at the gate for my first flight before it had even taken off. At that point, I should have been offered some sort of compensation for the wasted time, but United didn't give me anything. I filed an official complaint on the website, but unfortunately I don't have any proof of what actually happened, and so I don't expect that it will be resolved in my favor. I definitely will not be flying them again if I can avoid it.
RouteLas Vegas to San Francisco
Date FlownOctober 2017

"definitely do not recommend"

Verified Review | Grand Rapids to Newark. Worst customer service ever. I will not use United Airlines again.They have nothing good to offer besides a cheap flight. My luggage was destroyed and they said they were not responsible. The ac unit on the entire plane was out, nothing was offered. And on another flight my chair was broken and wouldn't stay in one position. Super uncomfortable ride. I definitely do not recommend.
RouteGrand Rapids to Newark
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"nothing negative to mention"

Verified Review | As someone who attaches a lot of value to reviews that I find online about companies, I feel compelled to share my positive experience with United Airlines. After having read a lot of the previous reviews I expected the worst, but I found a half price multi-city ticket for direct flights from Amsterdam-New York and Washington-Amsterdam with United Airlines, so decided the trip would be worth the money no matter what happened on the flight. In the end there's nothing negative I can think of to mention about my experience with United Airlines. Both flights were on time, the food was great (butternut squash pasta for example) the staff on the plane was very friendly and customer service was helpful and easy to reach. There were enough interesting movies/series on the flight to make the 8 hour flight go by really fast.
RouteAmsterdam to Washington via New York

"condescending and patronizing"

(Taiwan)

Verified Review | The flight from Taipei to Las Vegas via San Francisco was very good! Better than expected. However, dealing with United Airlines customer services is another story. We wanted to cancel our return leg of Las Vegas to San Francisco as the transfer time is too tight and did not want to miss our international flight San Francisco to Taipei. I called customer services and at first they were quite polite on the phone until they told me I had to pay a cancelation fee of US$100. So, I said OK, what if we do not cancel the flight, but just don’t board the plane? They responded by saying I would still have to pay US$100. I asked why? UA will be able to resell the seats and I am not asking for a refund. Then she started being condescending and patronizing. I was outraged by their logic and treatment. How can they call themselves customer services? They did not service this customer!
RouteTaipei to Las Vegas via San Francisco
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Will never fly them again"

Verified Review | Charlotte to Munich. I purchased a premium economy ticket through United (a Lufthansa operated flight) for approx 3000.00, get a receipt for economy, I call and they said it will be changed. Cannot check in until day of flight or pick my seat. They tell me at checkin that that is the price for economy! That is twice as much as their partner Lufthansa and 600 more than premium economy. Total rip off bait and switch, worse service. All about the money with no concern for customers. They are in the news all the time for a reason and that is because they don't have credibility. Will never fly them again!
RouteCharlotte to Munich
Date FlownOctober 2017

"thankful to the great agents"

Verified Review | Hartford to San Diego via Washington. We missed our original flight by 2 minutes. The agent on the gate got us on another flight immediately. When we got to our layover destination, we went to the customer service desk and the agent there put us on an earlier flight than originally planned. We only got to our destination 2 hours later than originally planned. I'm very thankful to the great agents who helped us out.
RouteHartford to San Diego via Washington

"Absolutely the worst!"

Verified Review | Louisville to Tulsa via Chicago. The only reason they got any stars is because no stars wasn’t an option. Absolutely the worst! I picked up my checked bag at the baggage claim. Halfway out to my car I checked to see why it was pulling funny to find that the baggage handlers had somehow managed to break the frame of duffle bag. When I got home I called to make a claim only to be told that there was no way for them to correct the issue unless I drive an hour and a half back to the airport. Southwest might treat you like cattle but at least they’ve resolved every issue I’ve ever had.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLouisville to Tulsa via Chicago
Date FlownOctober 2017

"now we are absolutely disgusted"

Verified Review | Des Moines to Orlando via Chicago. Basic Economy ticket, though my pregnant wife and I did not realize the restrictions now in place. We usually fly Delta, but booked these tickets later than usual and Delta flights from DSM were limited. I cannot believe any company would think it's is a good idea to force families or groups to not sit together. Even if there is extra room on the aircraft, they will not allow you to change seats. Tried online, tried when checking on at front desk, tried prior to boarding at the gate. These tickets were not basement bargains by any means. We were disappointed with United two years ago (last time we flew them), now we are absolutely disgusted. I don't care if you hold off on assigning seats until at the gate, for your "cheapest tickets". But if there are empty seats in the economy cabin, let families, groups, kids, parents, and couples, have the opportunity to sit next to eachother. Really, it does not matter, for you will never have our business again. And we will be strongly encouraging others to follow suit. We tried your services again expecting sub par service, and honestly were even more disappointed. Please stay away from this airline. Worst on the business, does care about it's customers. I feel sorry for the people working on this sinking ship.
RouteDes Moines to Orlando via Chicago
Date FlownOctober 2017

"unacceptable response by FA"

Verified Review | Ottawa to Washington. FA serving drinks put a full glass of juice on my six-year old son's tray. It immediately slid off onto his lap. She tossed napkins at us and got some paper towels from the FA working in the small first class cabin. The man behind my son seemed to have got some juice on his pants which passed through the back of my son's seat. The FA apologized up and down to him, advising him on how he could get some compensation and telling him how sorry she was. I was sitting there with a soaking wet six-year old. I told the FA that she put the drink down and it slid right off the tray. She proceeded to give me a lecture about how there's an indented part of the tray specifically for glasses and that when an airplane is ascending, it is on an angle - talking to me - a seasoned 1K or Global Services flier with United - as if I'm the six-year old. I found the purser and told him about the rudeness of his flying partner. He apologized profusely and said he'd speak with her. Completely unacceptable response by the FA working in the economy cabin.
AircraftEmbraer 170