United Airlines

"massive waste of precious time"

Not Verified | Manchester to Houston via Newark. Never in my life have I had a worse experience with an airline. My two flights from Houston to Manchester were both delayed by three hours, but that's not even the worst of it! My flight back from Manchester was delayed over 5 hours! It was so bad that I missed my connecting flight to Houston and had to wait an entire day for a returning flight. And just when I thought I might finally be able to go home, that flight was delayed three hours too. When we finally got on the plane it took another hour to actually take off! I missed all my plans for the day at home because I was waiting 29 hours for a returning flight, and I now hate United Airlines with a flaming passion. Whatever you do, never ever fly with United Airlines, it is a massive waste of precious time and money and the awful service is nowhere near worth it.
RouteManchester to Houston via Newark

"want to say thank you"

Not Verified | My flight from Hong Kong to Newark then Dallas. However, on July 3 the storm would not let this plane landed, they had to fly to Boston instead. Although I had some difficulties but United did take care of me although they had many people to care for. They first gave $20 meal voucher, then after a few hours they could not find new plane, they booked me to a hotel and booked me through American Airline to fly me back from Boston to Dallas the next day. This is the first time I experienced this problem, but they did take care of us. I want to say thank you.
RouteHong Kong to Dallas
Date FlownJuly 2018

"overall experience was terrible"

Trip Verified | Boston to Orlando. My overall experience was absolutely terrible, my inbound flight got delayed four times and a total of 3 hours. When I finally got to my destination and asked for help at customer service they said they couldn’t help me, not to mention that I had to wait two hours to get my suitcase worst start to my vacation ever! Wait but it’s not over getting home my flight ended up taking off late but I wasn’t surprised at all! Then getting to the airport my suitcase was put on the wrong airplane and I had to wait a hour and a half again. Overall experience was terrible and unless I can feel valued right about now I will never be riding with United and will recommend to anyone not to take that airline either.
RouteBoston to Orlando

"dishonest to charge me"

Not Verified | Flew roundtrip Chattanooga to Portland, ME I have not flown for several years, so prepared for challenges. Well, kudos to TSA recheck. Made security one big breeze. The plane in both directions were very small and had no overheads to accommodate the regulation size carryons which was included in my fare. Flying Economy Plus? Not sure, they have so many different levels depending on what a la cartes you picked! First the ticket agent in Chattanooga made me check my carry on and pay $25. When got to gate the same agent gave everyone in boarding area baggage tags to check them for free on the jetway! Did file complaint with United and they have responded to my issue with a refund, so one plus for them. But, the agent, hopefully, will be reprimanded. It was dishonest to charge me and I did not realize till I boarded plane. Return flight, we got in early. They did not have bags in jetway as we deplaned! Instead, we waited 45 minutes after 11 PM for bags to enter carousel in baggage claim. Very exhausting that time of night. Why did they not make it convenient for us to grab as we got off plane? Overall, flying pinched inside a tiny seat with little leg room was awful. the plane was 57 degrees on return flight and stewardess said they were working on - did finally begin to warm after 2 hours, just before landing. Did not partake of the free drinks and pretzels, so can't speak to snacks, seem crazy in short legs of flight. Would not look forward to flying again and booking online. Too many options you can pick from that just keep adding up and seem annoyingly presented on entire page to get you to spend more. Used to fly a lot, and will not miss it if never go again.
RouteChattanooga to Portland via Newark
Date FlownJuly 2018

"kept trying to get money from me"

Trip Verified | United's flight from Denver, 1.5 hours late. Missed airport pickup, had to pay for another ride $28. Pilot said we were waiting for mechanics to come to tighten some bolts (I do not know if he was speaking seriously). Food on board not as described on menu: hamburger had no lettuce, tomatoes, or pickles as promised. As small as it was and served bare it was just like a 99c white castle hamburger. Seats comfortable and cabin crew kind and gentle. Agent at PSP kept trying to get money from me: first he claimed I'd have to remove 3 lbs b/c suitcase was 73 lbs. He had another bag on the scale. After removing it he said I was 1lb over and I said that 23 kilos is 51 lbs. He didn't care. Then insisted I pay $25 to check a suitcase even though was making an international connexion to one of their partners, but the swarthy 20-year old doesn't know what qualifies as a connexion. I couldn't convince him or his supervisor and they refused to call a ticketing expert. I was firm and insistent but because this supervisor told me I was rude (limited vocabulary), I paid the fine. I am constantly baffled that people who hate coming into contact with the public and who have no talent for customer service seem to be hired by United again and again.
RouteDenver to New York LaGuardia
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Improvement is sorely needed"

Trip Verified | Our group was returning to the US after two weeks of international travel. At the United terminal we endured an overbooked check-in with rude ground agents. Some of our group waited for seat assignments until the plane was almost fully loaded despite the tickets being purchased a year in advance. The inflight service was just as rude as what we experienced in the terminal. Air New Zealand (the service we used in Australia and New Zealand) by comparison was staffed with a pleasant, polite and accommodating in flight crew. United needs to revisit customer service training of their entire staff. Improvement is sorely needed. Very disappointed and dissatisfied!
RouteHonolulu to San Francisco
Date FlownJuly 2018

"never flying with United again"

Not Verified | Norfolk to San Diego. Worst experience I've ever had flying. Every gate they told me to go to was wrong. I had no forewarning over the PA or on the website, flight gets delayed. These people have no care for your time and provide no real service or anything they just want your money. I'm never flying with United again. I've never had an experience this displeasing flying across the country.
RouteNorfolk to San Diego

"they just want money"

Trip Verified | Palm Springs to New York via San Francisco. You always know discourtesy is coming when the airport clerks refuse to wear their name plates. Charged me $25 for suitcase even though am making an international connexion. Agents don't know LGA and JFK are "co-terminals" in NYC and that an Intl connexion in North America is 12 hours. Although I was the only customer there they refused to call their international desk but instead called me "rude" because I was firm. I just paid the fine because I know the next step after they call you rude is to call a SWAT team to arrest you. This is usual customer service in 2018. They just want money and they want a lot of it.
RoutePalm Springs to New York via San Francisco

"don't recommend United"

Trip Verified | First time flying with United and last time. Horrible experience our flight was canceled just when we were on the plane ready to leave, not delayed, canceled! They kept giving us the runaround, they aggravate the customer even more with their senseless behavior. I don't recommend United.
RouteOrlando to Newark
Date FlownJuly 2018

"never being flying United again"

Trip Verified | Terrible customer service. My wife missed her connecting flight because of a delayed flight and had to sleep at the airport because United would not get her a hotel. Not only that, but they did not offer anything else for the inconvenience. Will never being flying United again. They do not take care of their customers at all!
RouteMemphis to Salt Lake City