United Airlines

"how inconsiderate and rude"

Trip Verified | Newark to Savannah. Extremely disappointed in my recent experience with United. I was flying back home from EWR with my carry-on dog. I had all the necessary paperwork, carrier, and I had purchased the dog a ticket as instructed (note: this was my first time flying with my dog on a United flight, I usually fly JetBlue with her). When I go to board the woman scanning my ticket said she was changing my seat for me. I said "thank you" thinking that would be a nice gesture, but I was wrong. Once on board she came on the plane and told me that I was not allowed to sit in that seat (the one she changed me to) with a pet because it had no seat in front of it to stow the animal. I asked if I could move back to my original seat and she told me no. The flight attendants, as well as other people on the plane tried to talk her into letting me change my seat and she still refused, called a manager, and proceeded to kick me off of my flight. It was the most HORRIFIC experience in my entire life. She booked me on a later flight and forgot to transfer my dog over to that ticket, so when I boarded the later flight they were giving me a difficult time having the dog. This I do understand because they didn't have a record of it. However, once we got it all sorted out and everything was fine, they attendants refused to give me any water or take my trash. It was like I never existed on the flight! I am blown away by how inconsiderate and rude United was to me. From the ticket lady to the flight attendants on my later flight. It seems that across the board they value unprofessional behavior. I am originally from NJ so I do understand the somewhat lack of compassion inside the actual airport, but that isn't something that should transfer over to the airline or flight.
RouteNewark to Savannah
Date FlownDecember 2017

"never book a flight with United again"

Trip Verified | Jackson to Aspen via Houston. I will never book a flight with United again. First I called not once but three times to verify I could carry my wedding dress on and specifically how it would be packed and the measurements of the bag which did fall into their accepted guidelines. I checked in at Jackson, MS and could not carry my dress on, or they’d charge me $50. So I had to check the bag, which I was NEVER told about a baggage charge, two of us flying, 4 bags checked - $120.00!!! Then, I understood the small aircraft to Houston, but to Aspen? Seriously? I will say the staff on the second flight was very nice but the pretzels served, all 5 of them (yes sarcasm), the pretzels were smaller than my fingernail but what really made me disgusted was when they were picking up the trash, we noticed they stacked the plastic drinking cups, trust me they were cocktail size cups, later they came by offering water & I realized they simply rinsed the cups!
RouteJackson to Aspen via Houston
Date FlownDecember 2017

"second time I have a problem"

Trip Verified | Newark to San Jose. This is the second time I have a problem with United Airlines in the past couple of months. I purchased 3 last minute one way tickets to Costa Rica directly through the airline. When I checked out there was no notifications of having to purchase an onward ticket. When I got to airport I missed my flight because I was told I needed a round trip ticket to board and the only one they had available was over $800 I’d have to purchase 3 of them right away and I couldn’t afford it. When I let the United Airlines representative know I was a Costa Rican citizen she asked if my 12 year old and 2 year old “where Costa Rican citizens as well” when I told her no she continued to ask if “they had same father, because I’d need consent from them to leave the country” I thought that question was extremely rude and felt she asked me that only because of my ethnicity due to the fact she asked if I spoke English right from the start without me even speaking! Honestly made me cry from feeling so humiliated. United Airlines should worn people when buying one way tickets and most importantly should train staff to be more courteous specially in such vulnerable situations.
RouteNewark to San Jose

"Above-average experience"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | Taipei to Las Vegas via San Francisco. Above-average experience on this airline. I originally selected this flight based on price, and was pleasantly surprised. All aircraft clean (including bathrooms) and flights on time. Good selection of entertainment. The only drawbacks were the crew was a bit hurried during the meal service on the international flights. Additionally, two different (senior) flight attendants were not sure what they were serving - one told me she didn't know what kind of noodles she was serving; another told my seatmate she had no idea what was in the omelette and handed her the ingredient list on the foil cover to read. Crew still managed to keep us fed and hydrated during the flight.
RouteTaipei to Las Vegas via San Francisco
Date FlownNovember 2017

"worst airline I have flown"

Trip Verified | Portland to Santa Rosa via San Francisco. This is by far the worst airline I have ever flown. I will not use United Airlines ever again! I did not receive notice that my flights were being delayed. Santa Rosa was fogged in, told me I could take a shuttle or drive myself to San Francisco to make my connecting flight, but would not comp the shuttle ride, even though the other airlines were and no compensation for the fact that I was only using half of the flight I paid for. On my way back to Santa Rosa from Portland they delayed my flight by 3 hours, once again with no notice sent to me, and then made my lay over in San Fran 4.5 hours. When I asked for my luggage to take another shuttle since I only live an hour and a half away, they told me I would have to wait 2 hours to get it. They said I could pick it up in Santa Rosa since it would fly with or without me on the plane. I agreed and took the shuttle to Santa Rosa. When I got to the Santa Rosa airport, I went to United and asked about picking up my bag, they said that I could not pick it up after 6pm because they were closed but could deliver my bag to me instead, they took my address name and phone number as well as my bag number. I watched them (I could see and read the screen) pull up my bag info in their system and attach it to an email with all my information and directions on delivering my bag next day to my address between 6-8pm. 6-8pm comes and call the airline, get the run around about them saying that the person I spoke to never submitted a claim, and they have no record of the email that I watched him send being sent. Had to repeatly insist on speaking to a supervisor before being put through only to end up still without any idea of when or if I'll get my luggage back. In the end, I'm out 1 day of my vacation, $64.00 on shuttles that should have been connecting flights already paid for and my luggage.
RoutePortland to Santa Rosa via San Francisco

"everything went smoothly"

Trip Verified | Atlanta to Newark. I just wanted to take the time to compliment United Airlines for the very excellent service my family and I received while we traveled to New Jersey for the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend. We flew out of Jackson/Hartsfield Atlanta airport very early in the morning on November 21 into Newark airport in New Jersey and flew home to Atlanta on November 25. Although we were prepared for and anticipated heavy traffic during those times, we were pleasantly surprised that everything went smoothly and we arrived at our destination a little earlier than expected. Both flights were smooth with just a little turbulence. The staff on both flights were friendly and on our return flight home we even received complimentary drinks and snacks which was a nice returning home luxury. We travel often due to having family on the west and east coasts and I will definitely look into picking United on future travel dates.
RouteAtlanta to Newark

"very unfriendly skies"

Trip Verified | Houston to San Diego. Terrible experience. Bait and switch when it comes to carry on luggage. Rude customer service on both ground and in flight. Tray tables and bathrooms were dirty. I will never fly United again. Very unfriendly skies. We flew with Spirit a few days before and they were much better.
RouteHouston to San Diego
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Get your act together United"

Trip Verified | I have never written a review about anything, however I have had a ridiculous amount of horrible experiences with United that have outraged me so much that now for the rest of my flying career I will avoid flying with them at all costs. I have never had issues with any other airline, it is clear that United has many problems and does not know how to deal with any of them. I have been on a flight that they overbooked by 40 people coming back from Switzerland. I have flown with them to Shanghai in the summer of 2017 and the flight was not only delayed by 13 hours but they also kept us on the plane for 8 of those hours without providing us any reasoning or even doing the simple act of giving us water. And today, my flight to Chicago was delayed so I missed my connecting flight to Hartford which I had to rebook and now that second flight is also delayed. Get your act together United, you seem to be the only airline that just can’t figure it out.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSan Francisco to Hartford
Date FlownNovember 2017

"not be flying United again"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Seattle. Had a horrible experience flying United. I had flown from Cancun (United Airlines again) to LAX and had a 3 hour layover. All my bags were carry on, so were my companions. However, upon boarding our last flight to Seattle, we were told that our bags were not carry on size. I asked for the opportunity to put it the bag sizer. I knew it would fit because I was previously asked to do this. This United employee would not allow me to do that. She just dismissed me and my companion and said that we had to check it. Very rude and unprofessional. I am on the flight now and there are empty seats and overhead space available. I will not be flying United again and nor will my companions. Very disappointed.
RouteLos Angeles to Seattle
Date FlownNovember 2017

"allowing only 1 checked baggage"

Trip Verified | Mumbai to Charlotte via Newark. United Airlines is the worst airline I have traveled, allowing only 1 checked in baggage on an international flight. One of my checked in bag came with the zipper hooks & the TSA lock missing. When I called to report this, they directed me to contact the Charlotte Airport United Airlines Baggage Counter desk that was supposed to be open from 8 AM to 12 Midnight. There was nobody there & after waiting for over 15 minutes, I went to the United counter who paged the baggage guy. This person came to the counter & was extremely rude to me. He refused to compensate for the damages. I do not intend to travel United Airlines ever again.
RouteMumbai to Charlotte via Newark