United Airlines

Customer rating from 2074 reviews

United Airlines customer review

My father and I had a reservation to fly from Boston to Sacramento. We had a connecting flight in Denver. Our flight leaving Boston was delayed 50 minutes our flight arrived in Denver at the exact time our connecting flight from Denver was leaving. United Airlines didn't hold the next plane just a few minutes and so 13 people on our plane missed the connecting flight. The next flight for Sacramento left the next morning so we went to customer service to have them reserve a hotel for us but they claimed that the error was not made by their airline and wouldn't pay for our hotel. Now we have to sit in an airport terminal all night. United Airlines is not a good airline and I won't be flying with them anymore.

United Airlines customer review

Outward journey on 30/3/2014 on flight UA 941 and inbound journey on 25/4/2014 on flight UA 17. We had a double cancellation of flights to and from LHR-EWR. Flight to LHR was cancelled but the reason remained unclear and the flight from EWR was cancelled after we were told there was a technical problem with the aircraft. Luckily they gave us hotel accommodation and taxi fares along with also breakfast and dinner vouchers. I would not recommend this airline to anyone. It caused lots of stress.

(Belgium)

Nightmare with United last week. I had a 1st class ticket Miami-Chicago on UA and Chicago-Zurich-Brussels on Swiss 3 flights on one ticket. Connecting time in Chicago 3 hours and 25 minutes. Checked-in in Miami for my UA flight and Y flight was delayed several times. Finally the plane landed. Ready for boarding and then technical failure was announced. Staff did not know if and when the plane would leave. I explained my situation and asked to be rebooked on another airline any airline in order to leave Miami since I was supposed to have a knee surgery upon my return in Brussels. UA staff refused and were not polite at all. Finally at 8pm announcement that our flight was cancelled. I had spent nearly 7 hours at that airport. I was granted a room at the Holiday Inn airport which was fine and then food vouchers at the same hotel. In total 21 USD for lunch/dinner/breakfast. One thing is for sure never again United. I was rebooked on the day after Miami/Newark/Brussels on the day after first class domestic business class long-haul. Ok but far from the Swiss service standards.
Cabin FlownFirst Class

United Airlines customer review

FRA-SFO on 747-400 this might have been a 9 or 10 star review except for the very late (over 30 minutes) delivery of bags at SFO with priority bags not apparently given any priority - service onboard was impeccable - staff were attentive and professional and did everything they could to make the long flight as comfortable as possible - UA really does need to start handing out pyjamas in F and could also make the bed softer as well as making the blankets thicker and wider if they really want passengers to get some good sleep. Food was OK nothing special - the mushroom soup in a very small cup was the best course while the beef was tough.
Cabin FlownFirst Class

United Airlines customer review

I really don't know how to express my dissatisfaction with United. I buy business class and get dumped into economy. No explanation nothing. Trite meaningless apologies are given. That's it. On my return trip the flight attendants were not very attentive in business. Once beverages were served at the beginning of the flight they disappear for the rest of the flight. The dinner meal for a 5.5 hour flight in business is a joke. A small plate of antipasto? That's an appetizer. The customer care program definitely needs improvement. Non responsive and when they do respond they ignore my complaint but do dwell on how great United is and they sincerely hope my next flight will be a good experience. United advertising is good unfortunately they only talk the talk. United has yet to learn how to walk the talk. United just frustrates me to no end.

United Airlines customer review

Horrible service rude flight attendants check in process rude. The woman told us it was not her job to do the check-in for us when we had questions and the machine would not print or accept my credit card. We were left to our own devices and were just rudely told to hurry up as we were not the only customers there. Since we booked with Lufthansa and paid regular prices and not with a cheap aircraft carrier this behaviour was outrageous! After we finally got our prints (just flight confirmations not boarding cards) we were told we would get the boarding passes at the gate. After asking a couple of times we got our boarding passes just to be told during boarding our daughter could not be seated with us because we were sitting in an emergency exit and she had to sit 7 rows behind us. The cabin attendants were not very helpful and finally we got a nice couple to swap places with us.

United Airlines customer review

April 27 2014 OKC to YYZ my connecting flight was in EWR. When I arrived at Newark I learned that my connecting flight was cancelled. The reason for cancellation - bad weather in Toronto. I asked the staff member to find me a different flight the best he could come up with was a flight for the next day! I explained that this was unacceptable. I then asked if I did accept the flight for the next day would I be given a hotel room for the night his response was no because if the flight is cancelled due to weather then the airline is not at fault and does not have to provide a room. To put the cherry on top he would not look for other flights except for the one for the next day. His suggestion was that I researched possible routes home and come speak to him later when I found another flight that was more acceptable to me. I was at a loss. I managed to acquire a flight home that same afternoon to Toronto on Air Canada. What I want to know is how is the weather in Toronto can be a problem for United airlines but not a problem for every other airline in North America. I fly several times a year I will never fly with United Airlines again.

United Airlines customer review

I flew from BTV-EWR-DFW a few months ago and it was by far the worst experience. Outbound flight to EWR was delayed 1 hour 15 minutes. The connection in EWR was missed by about 3 minutes. The customer service agent was useless and also put the blame on myself for missing the connection. I waited about 5.5 hours in what has to have been the dingiest terminal in the US (Newark's C2 concourse) for the next flight to DFW which of course was delayed. Once boarded we sat at the gate for an additional 40 minutes without any communication from the crew. The pilot then informed us that "it appears the people refuelling this thing put more in the right wing than they did in the left". We waited yet another 20 minutes for him to come back and say "to add insult to injury it appears that the APU is broken and it wouldn't be a good idea to fly without it." An hour has passed since we boarded and we finally pushed back. The inflight service was sub-par and only one beverage service was offered during the 3.5 hour flight. Overall an appalling experience on an airline that used to be enjoyable. Also if you're not flying international or a hub to hub expect a regional jet or prop plane.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy

United Airlines customer review

We flew out to San Francisco on Delta on April 27 2014 - a great flight even though we had a longer trip because of storms. The flight waited on us constantly during the long flight. On May 1 2014 we flew home on United 1278. The two stewards and one stewardess were terrible! Went up and down twice during our flight back to Atlanta. I was in a window seat and hey never spoke to me! The pilot did a good job - but did not speak loud enough.

United Airlines customer review

MSY-EWR-LIS with an open-jaw return from LHR-EWR-MSY. I must confess I tempted fate here as I didn't want to leave New Orleans too early on a Sunday so I opted for the afternoon flight that would connect in Newark with the overnight flight to Lisbon. It was a short connection window (59 minutes) but I decided to risk it. Big mistake. Once we landed - wouldn't you know it - no available gate. So we waited an additional 40 minutes on the tarmac and then another 10 at the gate waiting for someone to operate the jetway to dock with the plane. I sprint off the plane and we were the last two people on the Lisbon flight. As it turns out that flight was delayed about 25 minutes. Our luggage wasn't so fortunate. When we initially inquired upon arrival in Lisbon they said it had been sent to Frankfurt and that it would be arriving on a TAP Air flight from Frankfurt at 3.25 that afternoon after which it would be delivered to us at our hotel. We left Lisbon the next morning and checked at the airport to see where our luggage was. No idea they said - the last reported location of the bags was Frankfurt. Off we flew to Paris - without luggage. Arriving at Paris-Orly (where there is no United presence) the only help we got was from a French ground services attendant who was nice enough and took our information as to where we were staying (in Normandy) but could offer little else. We spent the next 3 nights in Normandy with no luggage and no one attempted to contact us about it. Four days later finally someone from United got a hold of us and told us our luggage had arrived at London Heathrow. Since that was our final night of the trip we just opted to pick it up at the airport the next morning upon check-in and change at the airport lest we go through the hassle of yet another botched bag delivery. Only when we arrived at LHR we were told that our bags were already sent ahead to Newark on an earlier BA flight. So here we were - at the conclusion of an 8-day trip with no luggage. At least we'd be able to collect our bags once we arrived back home in New Orleans. Our bags never made it from Newark that evening. They'd come the next day they said. Finally at 2 in the afternoon almost nine days after I'd checked in the bag I was reunited with it. In one generation United has gone from industry standard to mediocre to absolute lowest common denominator.