Turkish Airlines

"Good quality and great value"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Helsinki - Istanbul return, 6th Dec, TK1764 (B737-800) and 10th Dec, TK1761 (A321). Both flights full, on time arrival at IST and HEL despite delay upon departure. Seating slightly cramped in Economy but fine for 2½ hr flights and all seats equipped with IFE. TK seems to have kept their high quality in catering (Do & Co): full hot meals provided with drinks, very tasty meals. The cabin crews were hard working on both flights and the lady purser on TK1761 was a real star: very warm, friendly and extremely patient with the same unruly passengers who jumped up to the aisle every time the seat belt sign went on in heavy turbulence. Quite annoying but handled with care by the purser and the cabin crew on TK1761. Good quality and great value, will book again.
AircraftBoeing 737 and A321
RouteHelsinki to Istanbul

"disappointed with them"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Elazig via Istanbul. The seats are super short. It doesn't fit to my legs and my legs hurt because of the seat. Istanbul airport is totally horrible. Due to the delay of the flight, the crew doesn't speak English and they don't know what you want. As an international airport how come no one can speak proper English? Their instructions are totally different, one says this, another says that. Very disappointed with them.
RouteFrankfurt to Elazig via Istanbul

"out of pocket customer"

Trip Verified | London to Lahore via Istanbul. Cancelled my ticket with no explanation on 6/12/2017, 12 days before flying out in peak season. I have flown with them before and the experience has been OK- apart from the rude staff at the airport in Istanbul who think you've forged your passport. However after this experience its easy to know why Qatar, Emirates etc are ranked above these guys. Extremely poor. From a disappointed, out of pocket customer.
RouteLondon to Lahore via Istanbul
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"business class cabin is quite impressive"

Trip Verified | Flew business class, TK35 Istanbul to Montreal on Dec 08 2017. I must emphasize the amazing lounge in Istanbul. No wonder it was voted the best business class lounge in the world by Skytrax. We were a bit deceived though, not to be able to have a suite to relax, since our layover was 30 minutes above the 7 hours permitted as per regulations! At least we were able to use the showers after 2.5 hours on a waiting list. Best shower facilities we have ever seen in an airport business class lounge! Onboard, before take-off they offer a selection of newspapers and magazines but nothing in French! Isn’t Turkish Airlines aware that Montreal is the second largest French metropolis in the world, after Paris? Just as an example, Lufthansa flies to Montreal out of Frankfurt and Munich, their safety announcements are in German, French with English subtitles. Being respectful about these issues goes a long way. Nevertheless, the crew were professional and quite nice. The business class cabin is quite impressive! Lot’s of leg room, very comfortable seats, very large screens, quality headphones. I was able to sleep for 5 hours, which is out of the ordinary on board an aircraft for me. The food was ok, very well presented. We like these candlelight dinners which no other airlines offers to our knowledge. The negative side to this trip though is that we constantly had to beg for a glass of wine. We had just flown on Thai and Singapore and right after you sit down before take-off, they come to offer Champagne, water and juice. Not so with Turkish, they only offer a selection of 4 types of lemonade. When they take your meal order they ask if you want a glass of wine with your main course. No cocktail whatsoever before the meal is offered. If you dare ask for a glass of wine it is secretly poured behind a counter in front of the cabin. Normally with other airlines, they come to your seat and show you the bottle before they pour into your glass. You even have to tell them at some point to stop, because they offer constantly. Not so on Turkish!
RouteIstanbul to Montreal
Date FlownDecember 2017

"cannot recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | Kayseri to Istanbul. I cannot recommend this airline. After being unable to fly to Turkey due to recent US Visa restrictions, I called the company. Was told to call back two weeks later which I did and then I was told to call back again. I did. Then I was told that I must get a refund at a Turkish Airlines sales office, there are only 2 in the entire US. I complained and was told to call back. Now I am told that I can get a "refund" after cancellation and "no-show" fees are applied. This amounted to $32 euros on a $600 ticket. Apparently, they are only granting full refunds if you depart from the US. This is an absolute sham and seems set up to make the system frustrating to navigate so they can mitigate their losses. They don't seem to care.
RouteKayseri to Istanbul
Date FlownNovember 2017

"truly a horrible company"

Trip Verified | Dubai to Toronto via Istanbul. My wife encountered a problem in Istanbul that involved an airport transit visa through Canada. It took about 8 hours of our time at 5 different airport locations to eventually buy new tickets to get back the next day. Our original tickets say: “Reissue With 200 USD penalty. What I didn’t see was the fine print at the bottom: “Turkish Airlines reserves the right to change rules regarding ticket changes and refunds.”. They mean it. As bad as our personal experience was, the real reason we are so appalled is that we were there long enough to see this is the norm for them. In our single day there, we saw at least 100 other travelers going through similar things. The only solution ever offered is to purchase another ticket. We witnessed several people weeping. Many losing control and shouting. Their own personnel were screaming at customers (in a separate office area though, it was all yucks and laughing). We were lucky because we had the means to purchase new tickets. Others clearly didn’t. I don’t know what happened to some of them. One moment was very symbolic of the entire experience. Another vanquished traveler was paying $843 for a new ticket with cash. He handed an employee $845 but she of course had no change. Instead of the $5, he gave her two $1 bills. I had one in my pocket so gave it to her as well. She held my $1 bill up and pointed to the corner which had a very small piece torn off, no ink was missing, and sneered “I can’t accept this”. She did this simply because she could. We were powerless. She knew it and reveled in it. I usually only add reviews if they're positive. I understand people and businesses can have a bad day. Turkish Airlines is different. This is truly a horrible company with mean spirited employees.
RouteDubai to Toronto via Istanbul

12th December 2017 : Turkish Airlines response

Hi, we sadly read your post. We ask for you to accept our regret at the unpleasant situation your wife had experienced. The efforts of Turkish Airlines are directed towards providing our esteemed passengers with a superior level of service under present conditions. We consider our passengers' constructive criticism as the most valuable help to ameliorate our service. We apologies for failing to meet your rightful expectations and causing you dissatisfaction. In line with this, please be informed that your criticism has been conveyed to section concerned in order to achieve a more customer caring attitude. We apologise once again for the inconvenience, and with hopes that we can offer you flawless service on your subsequent travels. With our kindest regards.

"refused to honour the miles"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Istanbul. We made the reservations online as most people do nowadays and to our surprise, Turkish Airline denied the miles that were supposed to be earned for the flight taken which were clearly shown on their own reservation issued ticket. After few interchange of emails (ref tickets numbers above), they opted to remove the contact email from the website. They simple refused to honour the miles on our flight and we never received an explanation of their action. Certainly, this speaks very badly of Turkish Airlines, company that we won’t support in the future
RouteMontreal to Istanbul
Date FlownOctober 2017

12th December 2017 : Turkish Airlines response

Hi, we would like to help connect you to our Guest Relations Team to investigate the situation; so for further investigation of your unsatisfied experience, kindly leave your feedback on our feedback form bit.ly/thy_form We will surely get back to you with detailed explanation. Kind regards.

"my suitcase was left in Istanbul"

Trip Verified | Budapest to Atlanta via Istanbul. In August I flew from Budapest to Atlanta via Istanbul. The attention onboard was good as was the food. Arriving in Atlanta I found that my suitcase was left in Istanbul. After waiting for more than an hour and a half they told me that they would send it to me the next day but they only brought it to me two days later, so I had to spend 3 nights in a hotel in Atlanta and I could not go to work on Monday. The representative of the company told me to send him the receipts of the expenses he had had that within a period of 3 weeks they sent me a check for that amount. It's been over 3 months now and they have not sent me anything. They do not even answer the emails that I sent them. I think a lack of professionalism and respect towards customers.
RouteBudapest to Atlanta via Istanbul
Date FlownAugust 2017

12th December 2017 : Turkish Airlines response

Hi, we sadly read your post and would like to thank you for contacting and informing us about your experience. Turkish Airlines' aim is always to improve and offer the best service. So for further investigation of your unsatisfied experience, kindly leave your feedback on our feedback form bit.ly/thy_form so our team can reach you as soonest regarding this matter. Best regards.

"the rudest people I ever met"

Trip Verified | Kathmandu to Houston via Istanbul. I with my two little kids and old mother had a flight on November 2017. I had a layover of 19 hours so we were suppose to get hotel, but because of being American passport we didn't get hotel. I didn't mind getting hotel but they gave me lot of trouble just to give little information about the visa. I was wondering from one counter to another counter just to get right information. Staffs at the airport were the rudest people I ever met. Even the visa officers at the counter didn't give me correct information instead they yelled and behaved in a very rude way. I couldn't get hotel because I and my kids had American passport and they don't issue visa from the airport to the American. My question to the Turkish Airlines is that why they didn't mention that while I brought the ticket why they issued ticket to the American passport? I went to Turkish Airlines counter may be four time finally I got the correct answer. Staffs at the Turkish Airlines counter were also very very rude just as other staff at the airport. I ended up paying 300$ at airport hotel. I will never travel with Turkish Airlines again.
RouteKathmandu to Houston via Istanbul

12th December 2017 : Turkish Airlines response

Hi, we would like to indicate that the matter you have expressed has been cause for great regret for us. All staff members who serve in Turkish Airlines are reminded repeatedly through training programs that they must carry out their duties in accordance with rules and also must keep in consideration the satisfaction of our valued passengers. We apologize once again for the inconvenience, and with hopes that we can offer you flawless service on your subsequent travels, we are respectfully yours.

"Meal is an okay quality"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Istanbul to Madrid. Good service on board. Seats are comfortable in a configuration 2+2 and real business seat not like others where the configuration is 3+3 and the seat in the middle is not used. Meal is an okay quality, it could be better because it is a 4h30 flight.
RouteIstanbul to Madrid

12th December 2017 : Turkish Airlines response

Dear Juan, thank you for your feedback, which is really appreciated. Turkish Airlines, which has achieved its current level of success thanks to your support, aims to give you always the best service. Your valuable opinions constitute a great source of power for our efforts intended to achieve this goal.We have shared your opinions on our service quality with our relevant department. Wishing to have the privilege of accompanying you during your travels for many more years to come, please accept our regards.