TAP Portugal

"Terrible policies and customer service"

Trip Verified | I was traveling alone on a long overnight flight from New York to Lisbon (after a 12hr layover) and so prepaid an additional $30 to preselect a window seat so I would be more comfortable. However, when I got on the plane, my assigned seat was a middle seat. I reported the issue and requested a $30 refund via their website soon after the flight. 2.5 months later I received the following response: "According to our records you pre-selected and paid for seats 26J and received upon check in and on board 26F. As the seats you were assigned share the same characteristics and value as the seats you had pre-selected and paid for no refund is due." This is bogus. The seats do not have the same characteristics. For most people, the most important characteristic is whether the seat is aisle, window, or middle. Basically, they stole from me. Terrible policies and customer service.
RouteNewark to Lisbon
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"flight crew are not very welcoming"

Trip Verified | Flew TAP Portugal from Lisbon to London Heathrow. Firstly this airline has no vegetarian options. The ground staff and flight crew are not very welcoming and it is as if they are reluctantly taking us on their aircraft free of charge. The airline managed to damage our bag and we claimed a replacement. The number on the form was for Lisbon however it stated (UK national number). Be careful of this airline. Try to avoid.
RouteLisbon to London Heathrow
Date FlownOctober 2017

"service on board was good again"

Trip Verified | The flight from Berlin was delayed by an hour or so although it was the first morning flight, and the aircraft had been there all night. The breakfast offered in business class was very tasty but a bit undersized, but it was served with a smile. The big disappointment came at Lison Airport. The newly opened TAP Exercutive Lounge is closed from 7 to 23 December. These things can of course happen, but that TAP was unable or unwilling to make arrangements with ANA, the operator of the airport lounge, at its hub in Lisbon to provide for their premium customers is a disgrace. The people at the TAP transfer desk themselves were very doubtful whether TAP would refund the money we would have to pay to enter the ANA Airport Lounge. Luckily, because of the delay of the previous flight, boarding for the flight to Las Palmas began soon, and we could survive without lounge visit. The flight departed right on time. The service on the flight to Las Palmas was good. The return flight started with a 75-minute delay which, eventually, became a 150-minute delay as the aircraft needed a new slot at Las Palmas. The service on board was good again. The delay, however, meant that the original three-hour transit time became a 40-minute transit time in Lisbon. Luckily, we were picked up by ground crew and brought straight to our departure gate in a limousine. The flight to Berlin took off punctually again and even landed in Berlin approx. 40 minutes ahead of the regular arrival time. The service and crew were great again.
AircraftA319/E195
RouteBerlin to Gran Canaria via Lisbon

"they lost my luggage"

Trip Verified | Stuttgart to Miami via Lisbon. I am so disappointed. It is my first time to fly TAP Portugal they lost my luggage they can’t find it. I am so mad. My first time and I am pretty sure my last flight with this company tap Portugal.
RouteStuttgart to Miami via Lisbon
Date FlownDecember 2017

"ridiculous cabin luggage requirements"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Lisbon to Vienna. Bad boarding service with ridiculous cabin luggage requirements. Forced 90% of the traveller to put their standard sized trolley in the cargo hall. To avoid for business travellers. The cabin in the plane was far too cold but the on board service was fair.
RouteLisbon to Vienna
Date FlownDecember 2017

"TAP make life as difficult as possible"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | I travel regularly out of Lisbon generally in business class where available. Even happy to use budget airlines! This is the first time I have flown TAP, sadly I have to return to Lisbon on TAP, if I could transfer to Lufthansa I would. Ryanair, Transavia or EasyJet would have been a better option and value! My complaint to TAP - Today December 4th I have boarded TP552, LIS-MUC. Despite sending them all the details regarding my mobility scooter in advance and having several conversations regarding it I find myself with problems at Lisbon airport. It appears that TAP make life as difficult as possible for a disabled passenger causing unnecessary stress. With all other airlines I can travel with independence taking my scooter to the gate with me. As a regular traveller using many different airlines on a regular basis, including budget airlines, out of Lisbon I have always been able to use my mobility scooter through security, passport control and direct to the business lounge then on to the gate. It is no bigger than a baby buggy and folds flat just like a buggy! Today I had to wait almost 15 mins at check in for a MYWAY wheelchair to be brought. Then go with him to the out of gauge baggage riding my scooter to drop it off. I am then taken to the executive lounge without a chance to stop at any of the shops. On board I am approached by the dispatcher saying my battery needs to be removed from my scooter and I need to carry it with me! As the battery is key operated (the key removed and carried on my person) and secured in the scooter by a lock this is not necessary (ref IATA regulations 965-II /966/967) I carry the iata regulations with me and the certification that the battery is safe for travel at all times. The dispatcher goes away and eventually returns saying that this will no longer be necessary. Being told that this is a new procedure with the airline does not leave me with a lot of confidence as it is just an excuse for being uninformed. Seat - no different from economy. Uncomfortable - does not recline, only difference is the middle seat is left free. Food - who on earth serves roast beef for breakfast with a 07.55 departure? All this and at a premium price.
RouteLisbon to Munich

"poor customer service"

Trip Verified | New York to London via Lisbon. I fly between UK and US many times this year, with many different airlines such as American Airline, British Airline, Norwegian and the last flight was TAP Portugal. Really regretted choosing it and definitely will not recommend it for the following reasons. Watch out for allure price. I booked this through Chase Credit Card Reward website, the time/price seeems very good. Though very soon I found out it will charge money for even first piece of checked in luggage. Come on, international flight, who will charge that? Most company has first one free. Fine, I booked it and accepted this fact but very soon more angry problem occurs. It shows on their website if checked in online, the checked in luggage fee is $75. So I called them few days before the flight to put in the luggage request. The TAP customer service person took almost an hour to get this done due to system crash but assure me at the end this is put in. When I have my credit card ready for payment, the rep says I can pay at the airport during check in. I asked if there's any reference for this, the rep told me it's been put into my ticket number. Yet when I got to the airport, the checked in staff just told me I have to pay $90 because I did not pay in advance. I explained to them and ask them to check if any note put into the ticket in the system. They pretty much don't care and just told me they couldn't do anything about it. Since I have to go, did not bother to argue with them. After I landed on UK, I first called their customer service in Spain. The agent acknowledged they did see I call in prior to the check in, but refused to do any refund. The agent said their coworker may have mis-interpret the paid-in-advance term. Come on, your problem and I have to take the loss? She then told me I can fill up online complaint form. I did that on Nov 22th, receive an auto response email saying the complaint is received, then no update at all. Very poor customer service and system handling, and don't seem to care about reputation. During check in, if you want to change seat, any other seat will incur payment whereas most airline there's usually few seats one can interchange without additional fee. Once onboard, their service is fine but the ground service and customer service really annoys me. Won't consider this company again.
RouteNew York to London via Lisbon
Date FlownNovember 2017

"desperately trying to call the customer service"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | I do not recommend anyone flying with TAP Portugal. It is the worse company ever! Our flight to Lisbon was cancelled without any prior notice and on our return the flight was overbooked and my husband and I had no places to get in. So really, what are the chances in a million to book only 2 flights in your lifetime with TAP, and both to be affected by incompetence! I have filed a complaint online on 10 November 2017 for the cancelled flight for both of us and no news from TAP since. I have been desperately trying to call the customer service for several days, several times a day, each time waiting on the line for more than 30 minutes, with no success. Of course, all of this on my expense and on my own time! I have a life and I have a job, so why should I put so much time into this, instead of TAP fixing its customer service problems and organisation? I truly advise anyone to better book any other airline (even low costs) than TAP!
RouteBrussels to Lisbon
Date FlownOctober 2017

"2 hours and 30 minutes delay"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Lisbon to Milan. I never like to write bad comments but this time I will. We arrived to the airport and went to our gate. After the boarding time arrived they told us the flight had 30 minutes delay. When 45 minutes from departure were passed they told us to change gate and to wait there, no explanation was given. The flight took off with 2 hours and 30 minutes delay. No excuses were given by cabin staff. Awful experience.
RouteLisbon to Milan Malpensa
Date FlownDecember 2017

"ground service very unorganized"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Porto to Zurich. Ground service very unorganized, passengers don't queue and are not organized by airport officers. Staff treat passengers with hostility. I travelled hundreds of times because of my job and I can say that 90% percent of these times, I was treated like they are doing a favor to take care of what they are paid to do. Really rude and kind of arrogant that I can't recall to witness in the very best airline companies I have travelled with.
RoutePorto to Zurich