TAP Portugal

"Don't fly on this airline"

Trip Verified | Seville to Toronto via Lisbon. They charge you approx cad$100 per check in luggage each way. Can you imagine? It is an international flight, any person would naturally expect at least 1 luggage included per passenger already. Long and inefficient check in, and they overbooked. Don't fly on this airline, it will stress you out.
RouteSeville to Toronto via Lisbon
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"don't book with TAP Portugal"

Trip Verified | Rio de Janeiro to Lisbon. I booked a flight at the end of January. As my plans changed I cancelled the flight on December 10th. This should be no problem as I booked a fully refundable flight. As I paid with credit card, the time for processing the refund was stated as 7 weekdays. I've been waiting more than double the time now and still not seeing any refund! So if you're a spontaneous person changing plans from time to time don't book with TAP Portugal!
RouteRio de Janeiro to Lisbon
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"never fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Manchester to Toronto via Lisbon. Extremely rude staff at check in, apparently you need to check in online or you'll be verbally harassed by the check in staff member and threatened with losing your seat to an overbooked flight. was told that I was lucky to be let on my flight and was given the very last seat possible. funny because there were two empty seats in the row in front of me. I was charged twice for one bag to be checked, and when I asked for a receipt to confirm that the one payment didn't go through I was denied such confirmation and given a verbal assurance of "its fine don't worry about it" was sent to drop off bag without a boarding pass. when I went back to ask for the boarding pass, same employee was angry with me and acted annoyed as if I was inconveniencing her by needing a boarding pass to drop off my bag. Cabin staff were friendly and seemed to enjoy conversing with customers. too bad the ground staff ruined it for me. all in all, extremely unprofessional. Will never fly with them again. customers shouldn't be made to feel like they are an inconvenience for checking in to their flight.
RouteManchester to Toronto via Lisbon
Date FlownDecember 2017

" worst airline I ever flew"

Trip Verified | Lisbon to London. This is the worst airline I ever flew. Its poor customer service by far overshadows all other aspects of my interaction with the airline. LIS airport is poorly organized and has a second checkpoint after the duty free zone, which is clearly not obvious to have. The airline did not warn us at check-in about this checkpoint, and did not provide any help when we could not pass it fast enough. We still arrived to the gate 15 min before the departure and were denied boarding, even though the aircraft was there and had to wait to unload our luggage. About 7-8 other people were in the same position. The staff sent us to a customer support desk where we were denied service and were sent to a different desk, having to pass through passport control or security each time. Finally, we were forced to buy new tickets to take a flight. Not only no compensation was offered by the airline, but none of several TAP employees we talked to even expressed regret or apology !
RouteLisbon to London
Date FlownDecember 2017

"the last time I fly TAP"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Lisbon to Seville. I paid additional money to be seated near the front of the plane but was given another seat when I checked in on the flight. I was not even told about the seat change therefore did not realize until I was on the plane. To make matters worse, they gave out the same seat to someone else. I had to wait until everyone was boarded until I could actually sit! I was not the only person on that flight this happened to. This will be the last time I fly TAP. No one even apologized.
RouteLisbon to Seville

"the food was terrible"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Milan to Accra via Lisbon. I experienced many delays. The crew was nice but the food was terrible. And most important thing, after a quarrel with the ground attendant my hand luggage (safed with locker) was put in the hold, it was damaged.
RouteMilan to Accra via Lisbon
Date FlownNovember 2017

"TAP Portugal don't care"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | Warsaw to Lisbon. I was flying with my ferret that according to TAP can only fly in the hold because "only dogs and cats can fly in the cabin". This is to ridiculous considering a ferret has a pet passport and is smaller than most both cats and dogs. I am writing this review to warn people when travelling with TAP. After landing, I first had to wait 55 min before picking up my animal and second I noticed that his drinking water was frozen. I confronted people at the airport of Lisbon but no one cared or tried to help me. I wrote a complaint but get to reaction. When calling them they first send me from one person to another and then simply put me on hold for 45 min. I am now on the phone (for the 4th time) trying to bring my ferret back home in the cabin and no one wants to help me out (I was told by tap ground crew members that they even let rabbits fly in the cabin). So bottom line, TAP don't care and don't want to help.
RouteWarsaw to Lisbon

"lack of professionalism"

Trip Verified | Boston to Marrakech via Lisbon. I experienced significant delays, cancellations, and unexpected fees on all segments of my round trip on TAP Portugal. I am primarily disappointed by TAP’s disorganization and lack of professionalism in resolving delays and cancellations, rather than the delays and cancellations themselves. My flight from Lisbon to Marrakech was delayed for over 4 hours with no explanation or apology. The airline did not inform us that our flight would be delayed until its originally scheduled departure time, and they did not give an estimated time for departure until the flight was already delayed by 2 hours. Even after they allowed passengers to start boarding, they made priority boarding members (elderly, children, families, and people with disabilities) wait on a crowded bus in between the gate and the plane for over 20 minutes because our plane was still not ready. I thought I would be allowed to take one free checked bag, according to the TAP website (traveling from the U.S. to Morocco). My friend who arrived a few days later than me also traveling from the U.S. on TAP was allowed one free checked bag without question, but for some reason, I was required to pay a fee of $90 for my checked bag. I submitted a complaint after my flights to Marrakech but received no response. I also paid a total of $100 for my round trip seat selection, only to have my selected seat changed unexpectedly on the way back from an aisle seat next to my travel partner in a row of 2 seats to a middle seat in a row of 4 seats, 10 rows in front of my travel partner. On outbound leg of the trip, my travel partner also paid an extra fee for an Economy Comfort seat only to show up to the airport and be assigned a regular Economy seat. When I arrived to the airport 2 hours before my return flight from Marrakech to Lisbon, we were informed by other passengers that our flight to Lisbon was canceled. At no point did we ever receive any electronic updates from TAP or in person communication from a TAP representative about our canceled flight. There was no explanation or information about rescheduled departure times. We had to wait for over 2 hours in a customer service line to rebook our flights. TAP is also not certified for U.S. pre-check or Global Entry, a minor convenience compared to the rest of my travel difficulties with TAP Portugal. I will never take this airline again - if I am ever given the choice between a less expensive fare on TAP Portugal and a more expensive flight on any other airline, I will take the other airline over TAP. I have never experienced such disorganization due to a delayed or cancelled flight before.
RouteBoston to Marrakech via Lisbon

"crew was the nicest"

Trip Verified | Geneva to Sao Paulo via Lisbon. I was definately not expecting a higher level service as in some more high end airlines but I was surprised in many ways. Check in service overall very fast end efficient. The crew on the flight from Geneva to Lisbon was the nicest and smiliest I have ever seen in an airpline. Boarding process not without its troubles but overall more organized and faster than other airlines - they don't call you to board and keep you waiting oin line. On both flights they called us for boarding and ze boarded. I was assigned extra legroom seats on both flights and they were fantastic: felt wider than average and great leg room, plus support for the feet. Entetainment on board was excellent with very recent premieres. Finally, I ordered gluten free meals and had them served without questions, food was quite good and in very good quantity.
RouteGeneva to Sao Paulo via Lisbon
Date FlownDecember 2017

"stewardess was surly and unhelpful"

Trip Verified | Rio de Janeiro to Gatwick via Lisbon. If you are flying TAP do not put anything under the seat in front, no matter what they say! My wife and I boarded a flight from Rio de Janeiro. We were one of the first on and my wife placed her coat and hat under the seat in front. Unknown to us, a late-arriving passenger then spotted the items and called a stewardess, who - without asking if they belonged to anyone - took them off the plane! We did not realise what had happened until we arrived in Lisbon. The stewardess was surly and unhelpful, implying that we should have heard and understood the (Portuguese) conversation taking place in the row ahead of us. TAP have since located the items in the lost luggage at Rio de Janeiro airport but are insisting that we organise and pay for a courier to have them returned. Every time we contact TAP they insist that we must have lost the items in the airport, so every time we have to explain again the sequence of events. The fact that the stewardess thought that the items had been left by a passenger on a previous flight also shows that security standards on TAP are lax as clearly their planes are not checked properly before passengers board.
RouteRio de Janeiro to Gatwick via Lisbon