Southwest Airlines

"likely the best airline in the US"

Trip Verified | Austin to Chicago. Southwest is great at its best, middling at its worst. There are quite a few places where Southwest blows all of its American competition out of the water. No change fees, no cancellation fees, and no baggage fees. This is not found anywhere else in the US. The fares themselves are typically cheaper than other airlines, especially if booked at least one month early. Otherwise, fares are average. Customer service is quite good and the free drinks and snacks are satisfactory in today’s age. And finally, the seats on all of their planes have good legroom. One of the few negatives seems to be their increasing rate of cancellations in the past year. I’ve experienced three cancelled flights since last August, which is concerning. However, that’s not always within the airline’s control. Overall, Southwest is most likely the best airline in the US.
RouteAustin to Chicago

"a horrifying experience"

Trip Verified | I had a flight with Southwest Airlines from Chicago to Orlando. The flight was cancelled at the last moment by Southwest. It was December 29th 2017. Being peak season and no other available flight, me and my family were left stranded. I was somehow able to reach Orlando by taking another airlines and flew back from Orlando to Chicago with Southwest. I requested for a refund of the amount for the cancelled flight from Chicago to Orlando. After 5 calls and 2 months Southwest only provided me a partial refund and fails to give me an explanation for the partial refund. The customer care representatives are very nice and keep on apologizing to me for not providing me with the right refund amount but fail to provide the complete refund. Every time I call I am put on hold for at least 1 hour for them to look in the matter and talk to the refund department. It has been a horrifying experience. I just hope they do not treat other passengers in the same way.
RouteOrlando to Chicago
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"not worth losing a day of my time"

Trip Verified | We were scheduled to fly Dallas to Boston, non-stop at 11.15am, got a delayed flight notice at 9.40am of a 2 hr delay. When I inquired why, the gate attendant said ‘air traffic control hold’. I checked and there were no holds in place. After 2 hrs waiting, the gate attendant informs us the broken door repair could not be completed (eg confirming what I suspected was a previous lie re: ATC hold). A replacement plane is being flown in from Milwaukee so we now have another 2 hr delay. Some guests got upset and attendant basically told everyone that ours was the only flight to Boston so we would either have be patient or wait until tomorrow at our own expense, seriously not feeling the love or transparency. I realize cost savings with Southwest Airlines is not worth losing a day of my time. Looking to go back to American Airlines for all my future flights to Dallas.
RouteDallas to Boston
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"going to announce a delay"

Trip Verified | Nashville to Milwaukee. This last trip was just another reason why I should not deviate from my current provider. Stewardess was not forthcoming about how many seat were available staying they were booked full and grab the first seat available. So I did, big mistake as plenty of seats were still open in the back. I get to Nashville and had to then ask at our scheduled time of departure what was going on. They said we are going to announce a delay. Obviously! When I asked what was t he cause of the delay, no answer was given. I asked again and made it a little more clear. Is the delay caused by weather or mechanical. Reluctantly she said mechanical. Typically this is where the professional representative at the counter offers to make amends for the company causing the 1.5hr delay making my arrival after midnight. Not only was i not offered any miles or meal ticket, I was give a get away from my desk look.
RouteNashville to Milwaukee
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"Save an entire row or more"

Trip Verified | New Orleans to Dallas. Just found out today, it’s okay to save seats On Southwest Airlines. No worries about your low boarding pass, just get one person to check in and get an A pass, and then go save seats for everyone! Save an entire row or more it’s okay, just know the flight attendant will back you up. No worries about others (even if they paid for Early Bird Checkin), you can now save seats on Southwest.
RouteNew Orleans to Dallas
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"Customer service is outstanding"

Trip Verified | Flew Southwest Airlines from Denver to Portland. Customer service is outstanding. I had to change my flight from last night to this morning. I spent 6 min. on the phone and spent $0 for changing. They are so good to work with. Flight experience was great, the staff very helpful! Other airlines do not even compare.
RouteDenver to Portland
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"I may be heading back to Delta"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Atlanta. This trip was my first Southwest experience. Flying to Las Vegas was great, staff was friendly, plane was clean, got a great position (A30) to board and select a seat. I paid the additional fee for early check in both ways, and having booked my trip 3 months in advance, I was pleased with my position on the way and expected the same going home. Unfortunately, when it was time to check in for my flight home, I found my position was completely unsatisfactory, B22. I called Southwest to see if there was an error and was told that sometimes it just falls out that way. My issue is that if Southwest is going to take my money for early check in, there should be a guarantee for zone A boarding, OR give me an alert so I know what I’m paying for if I choose to continue. Surely if their system can assign boarding positions as flights are booked, it can alert customers when zone A is full, right? Sad to say I may be heading back to Delta after this. Drink carts and assigned seats may be worth the money after all.
RouteLas Vegas to Atlanta
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"experience has been hard and horrible"

Trip Verified | I moved from Chicago to Las Vegas. They lost two of my luggage that was filled to capacity with all of my clothes.Luckily everything of my Children’s made it to Las Vegas. Now I have flown with Southwest plenty of times, but I never traveled with majority of my belongings. Any other time I had no problems but this moving experience has been hard and horrible so far thanks to Southwest Airlines.
RouteChicago to Las Vegas
Date FlownJanuary 2018

extra $150 round trip just to bring my bike"

Trip Verified | Portland to San Francisco. The people are friendly. However, they charge for bikes. I had my bike exactly 64” which is under most airlines’ requirement of under 65”. Southwest has a max of 62”. I will not be flying this airline anymore, because it is impossible to get a bike under these dimensions unless its a folding bike. If you ride bikes seriously, take Alaska. They allow one bike FREE and have reasonable maximum dimensions I could even use a hard case. As it is, I will be paying an extra $150 round trip just to bring my bike. Ridiculous.
RoutePortland to San Francisco
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"I left my coat on the plane"

Trip Verified | Last week I flew from San Jose to Phoenix on a Southwest flight at 3:45 in the afternoon. When we got off the plane in Las Vegas I left my coat on the plane. We immediately tried to call to find out what we needed to do and figured we should probably go to the baggage claim area where the Southwest office was. We went there and of course there was no coat. We filled all the information out and have heard nothing. It's a shame that someone from Southwest would take my coat. It didn't make it a few hundred yards from the plane to the baggage claim office where the lost-and-found was. Lots of losers in this world.
RouteSan Jose to Phoenix