Southwest Airlines

"asked to pay an additional $300"

Not Verified | Chicago to Newark. The policy on switching flights needs a lot of work. Possibly start by working on a "stand by" situation. My husband arrived at the airport 5 hours before his scheduled flight. So, he decided to ask for an earlier flight but was asked to pay an additional $300 to confirm the switch. Ridiculous. Called customer service, same answer. Sat at the terminal and watched everyone board. Asked the people again, same answer. There were extra seats on the flight. What is the problem? $300.00? Way to go Southwest, way to go. You have lost all my business.
RouteChicago to Newark
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Very poor customer service"

Trip Verified | I purchased early boarding when I purchased my ticket. Needed to be in Hartford and have my bags at 12:30 to secure my ride home. In realizing that we were supposed to land at 12 I purchased upgrading boarding for $50. Well lo and behold, the flight was delayed. Their reason was that another flight was late and they were waiting for a bag? Really? You inconvenience an entire flight for one bag? We did not land in time and I missed my ride thus having to pay again to get home. I asked for a refund of the $50 and was declined, because I was able to board the plane early. (I only boarded early from A37 to A7). Very poor customer service. Not my 1st bad experience with Southwest. Will be flying other airlines from now on.
RouteLas Vegas to Hartford

"being money hungry"

Not Verified | Orlando to Las Vegas. Southwest is being money hungry and also dismissive to concerns on program and pricing changes. And they used a bait and switch method. I booked my flights some time ago and was offered the early bird check in option at an additional cost of $60 RT for my wife and I. I went back to book it and now the price is $100. When I called, I was told that the program changed at the end of August. Mind you the $60 is already a fee to get checked in early so you have a better boarding group time so you can rush on and pick your seats. The other airlines allow you to select a seat at booking so you do not have to get on the plane searching for your seat and beat out someone else like it is the last bottle of water before a hurricane. I would have saved money going with another carrier and not had to pay for the privilege of getting a better line up position to then still have to search for two seats together where we would like to sit. I talked to a few lower level staff that agreed with me that I should be able to get the original rate I was quoted at the time of booking. However, they could not help me. They did say they are getting similar feedback and it is not going over well. I called corporate at their direction and that got worse. The person at corporate was unapologetic and cold professional. She informed me that basically it is an ancillary rate and they have the right to change it at any time. She did understand my point about being offered a price on an already booked flight but was unwilling to do anything to assist. She then said they notified people by placing a disclaimer on their site for 8 days at the end of August. I had already purchased my ticket and have the app so had no reason to go back on the site. No email or reaching out to someone that already purchased. So they took what was already a junk fee for something no one else charges for and increased it to make more profit. She said well at the lower cost too many people were using it so it was not really an advantage to those buying it. And based on that feedback they felt raising the price to reduce the number of people purchasing it would make it more valuable for those buying it. I mean they could have just limited it to the first 50 people that purchase it or something like that. So buy early and get the advantage. That is how the best seat assignments work on other airlines. Instead they would thin the heard by raising the price and pricing people out in order to make it a better experience for those that can and are willing to pay. It is a greedy money grab. They sell themselves as different, and better and “we got rid of assigned seats and tickets to make fares lower.” But really it just is good marketing because they intend to get it from you on the backend. In all actuality I could have gone with another airline and saved and had seat assignments and not had to pay an extra fee. And this day and age no longer do they really have to print that many paper tickets with tickets on phone apps. At the end of the conversation I recapped that they offered a price on a confirmed booking and then changed it later without due diligence notification. I informed her that it was a bait and switch and also poor form for such a respected company. It was underhanded and not appreciated and was just raising what was already a junk fee. She then had the audacity to ask if I wanted to book the extra service I was complaining about, really?
RouteOrlando to Las Vegas
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"say it wasn't their fault"

Not Verified | Flying from San Diego to Las Vegas. Flight 2828 got pushed back until canceled. Wasn't told why the flight got canceled - rebooking agent said all i can do is reschedule for a flight in the morning. Missed my hotel check in that night and friends party. Got an email reply saying that due to weather was the flight canceled - not sure how that goes because it was clear in both cities that night. Asked Southwest Airlines to reimburse me for that one of hotel and they say they couldn't because it wasn't their fault. So last time we will fly with Southwest Airlines.
Aircraft700 Series
RouteSan Diego to Las Vegas
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"never notified of delay times"

Not Verified | We were flying from Atlanta to Milwaukee for my sister in laws wedding. Our flight was scheduled to stop in Baltimore then continue to Milwaukee. We hit a storm and understandably we were delayed. We had to stop in DC because we needed fuel and Baltimore was temporarily closed. Upon arriving at DC we were just waiting for fuel. That then turned into waiting over an hour for new pilots. During this entire time we were never notified of delay times or that the Milwaukee flight was cancelled. We finally arrived in Baltimore at 1 am and were told our flight was canceled and they rescheduled us for the morning. We went to a counter to get our boarding pass and to figure out overnight reservations. Southwest would not pay for the hotel accommodations and told us to sleep at the airport or pay for a hotel ourselves. They also couldn’t even upgrade our boarding and we are stuck boarding very last. Overall very disappointed with how Southwest handled the situation. I understand you can’t control the weather but there was zero communication once we were at DC airport. The flight attendants were very nice and encouraged us to write to Southwest.
RouteAtlanta to Milwaukee
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"fly again with Southwest"

Trip Verified | Kansas to San Diego. My son had to have an earlier flight to get to his military post and I called and they changed it without hesitation. The person I spoke to was very friendly and professional. Really made my day and my heart happy. Thanks again and will fly again with Southwest!
RouteKansas to San Diego
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"unhappy with his attitude"

Trip Verified | Baltimore to Milwaukee. Southwest has open seating policy, so passengers like to sit either on isle or next window. My wife and I found two seats and sat, a crew member said “sir sir what are you doing” while I was putting my carry on in the over head. He said there are enough room to sit somewhere else. We decided to sit since I have put our carryons. The customer sitting next to window shows unhappy face why we sat next to him! Then the crew shows face and says we go sit somewhere else while it is non of his business where we sit. Then we found another two seats available and we go sit next to someone else. The crew shows hand and face gestures to the other passenger comes and shows attitude why we asked the other passenger to let us into the two available seats. I don’t understand when they have opening seating policy the crew has any right to tell us where to sit or not and being so rude about it. My wife told him that she was unhappy with his attitude and asked his name and wished him have a good day. His response was “oh I am having a good day, you have a good day” with sarcasm. Totally dissatisfied with Southwest and its employee.
RouteBaltimore to Milwaukee
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"airline was the least helpful"

Trip Verified | La Guardia to Indianapolis. I received no call, text or email regarding my flight cancellation. After I got through to security I pulled up my boarding pass to check where to go but the information was not updated. The screens with gate information were all off and not knowing where to go I stood in line to a flight that could have potentially gotten me home hoping there may be room on it because tickets were still being sold online for it. I stood in line and the lady was rude and told me to go to a different line and that she can't help me; I explained where i need to go, that I've not gotten any communication about cancellation, that I've been waiting to figure out what's going on and they said the flight I tried to get was booked. I asked why it is allowing me to purchase a ticket online and they just shoved me to a different gate where i was on line for even longer. Due to no communication of even alerting me that the flight was cancelled via email or text, how dismissive the lady at the first gate was, having to wait additional time, contradictory information about the flight being booked, i was experiencing anxiety. There was not a single person who expressed any empathy in form of "sorry" or "let me see what we can do" - no one cared. I was told the flight will be tomorrow. I told them if i pay for the ticket boarding right next door - can i get on that flight or will I have trouble. And they kept saying i cannot book that flight even though the site was asking me to input credit card info for that same ticket. I just asked for a refund and booked a flight with a different airline. Delays and cancellations are frustrating for everyone, but this airline was the least helpful in arranging anything to help me get home. Also just about every airline alerts via text about delays or cancellations at this point. But if this is not done, turn on the screens with flight status at least.
RouteLa Guardia to Indianapolis
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"we wanted to thank you"

Trip Verified | Our child fell extremely ill a day before our business trip to Boston. We called Southwest to explain our situation of not wanting to leave our son the same day he got out of hospital. The agent was extremely helpful. She was able to not only push our flight to a much later flight she didn’t even charge us for the change fee. This is beyond the call of duty. As parents we wanted to thank you for the extra effort. We will always fly Southwest!
RouteHouston to Boston
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Very disappointed in Southwest today"

Trip Verified | Very disappointed in Southwest today. I am A List Preferred so use your company frequently. Unwarranted delays and very poor communications. We are told because the flight is not full that we will wait 1/2 hour for two passengers. Sounds like this was done to save Southwest money. No regard for the other customers getting in 1 hour late. And the crew seemed to not care less. Too busy leaving the plane to get something to eat.
RouteLas Vegas to Omaha