Southwest Airlines

"Would not fly here again"

Verified Review | New York to Dallas. Would not fly here again. They notified my hours before my flight by text message saying that they had cancelled my flight and didn't say why so I called and the gentleman said it was because of weather. So I tried rescheduling a flight since my brothers wedding was the next day but they didn't have anything left. So I was told to go to the airport which was 2 hours away and see if I could get on a flight but they just ignored me and said the fastest they could get me out was Monday and the wedding was Saturday. They were super rude and didn't care what happened to me after I stood there 2 hours to talk to someone. I ended up having to spend $500 on a flight out instead of the $150 flight I had booked months ago. It was horrible I have never been through something so stressful in my life.
RouteNew York to Dallas
Date FlownAugust 2017

"flight delayed on both my trips"

Verified Review | Seattle to Milwaukee via St. Louis. The flight itself was okay, but the flight was delayed on both my trip out and my trip back home. Very little info was shared about why and the delay out of St. Louis back to Seattle was extensive due to staffing issues. Unacceptable. You should not have to call in staff last minute. We had to wait for staff twice because the first back-up never showed. It seems every time I fly with this airline, there is a delay. I don't have this problem with other airlines and I don't know that I will fly Southwest again.
RouteSeattle to Milwaukee via St. Louis

"absolute worst experience"

Verified Review | Chicago Midway to Phoenix. I set up a vacation for my wife to go see her best friend in Arizona, this is her first time flying. Her flight was scheduled to leave from Midway airport In Chicago at 11:15am. We got there a couple hours early, got through checkout and thought we were good to go! 40 minutes before she's supposed to board, the flight got delayed and was now scheduled to leave at 1:35pm. We left to get some food and was back at the gate by 12:45. They then delay the flight to 2:35. Then just minutes later they cancel the flight! Went to the counter to ask what to do. They told us as long as the ticket had today's date we can go to terminal B17 and catch that flight. So we go to B17 and they informed us that was wrong and that they were "probably just trying to get us through the line". We then had to go stand in a different line, which we waited in that line for an hour and a half and in that time only went half way. I finally go up to the terminal attendant to ask him what we can do. He again said we need to wait in that line in hopes of being put on standby. Luckily a pilot overheard him and asked me what was going on. So I explained the story and he kindly went behind the desk and told them to change her over to that flight! I thought we were home free, but I was mistaken. He told her that instead of being a direct flight like the original flight I booked her, there would be a layover in Oakland. He said she wouldn't have to leave the plane when they go there. She called me in Oakland saying they forced her off the plane and since the pilot had the ticket she didn't have a ticket to show the attendant who was rude. So she got off the plane and tried explaining to the attendant what happened. The attendant told her "to bad cause you don't have a ticket". My wife went up to the counter panicking. The woman made a few calls and almost an hour later was able to get her on the flight to Phoenix. In Phoenix she was supposed to be picking up a rental car from Advantage (I purchased everything through southwest.com) and when I called to verify the car they said there wasn't a reservation. When I called to ask Southwest, they said they don't rent through Advantage. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they confirmed they do in fact rent through Advantage. Something apparently happened in processing the rental car so now her friend has to drive to Phoenix to pick her up. This was the absolute worst experience with Southwest.
RouteChicago Midway to Phoenix
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"will not fly Southwest again"

Verified Review | Chicago to Providence. I am not a fan of Southwest airlines. Even though they offer a lot of freebies. The seating is open seating. There is no way to actually pick a seat. When you purchase your ticket you are given A,B or C and you just board when your info is called, but you cannot choose which one you want when booking your ticket. It is terrible. I will not fly Southwest again. I was traveling with my spouse and we couldn't even sit together. Everyone who boarded ahead of us took window and aisle seat.
RouteChicago to Providence
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"you've ruined this trip"

Verified Review | Montego Bay to Baltimore. Southwest was always my preferred airline. However after this experience I am appalled by the way this situation was handled. An air traffic control tower was struck by lightning on 9/8/2017 in Jamaica. We were suppose to leave on 9/9/2017. Obviously this wasn't an option, completely understandable. But the tower was fixed late night on 9/9/2017. As we talk to others that were forced to stay at the resort ($450 a night) with us their airlines Delta, American, United, etc. were understanding and scheduled extra flights to help out and get them home to their families. But Southwests' answer to us is to bad we aren't sending extra flights forcing us to spend an extra $2000+ on a room and missing out on being paid at work. Southwests' answer is you're staying until Wednesday 9/13/2017. I guess I had the wrong assumption of this airline and stand corrected. Way to go Southwest (as sarcastic as I can be here) you've ruined this trip for my family.
RouteMontego Bay to Baltimore
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"staff on this aircraft were wonderful"

Verified Review | Flew Sacramento to San Diego with Southwest. The staff on this aircraft were wonderful! They were all so friendly, and gave excellent service. From loading all the way to unloading. They made me feel so comfortable! Thank you for making my flight so enjoyable!
RouteSacramento to San Diego
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"absolutely ruined my experience"

Verified Review | Chicago to Las Vegas. Our row was completely missed to get drink order. When the flight attendant came around to drop drinks/snacks off to other rows we asked for a drink. We got an eye roll from the flight attendant after our entire row was completely awake yet again missed in the drink order. The gentleman aside from myself and my boy friend as rudely spoken to accusing him of being asleep which he was not. My boy friend also got a drink and while the attendant did seem preoccupied with attending to other guests on the flight my boy friend gently reminded him we ordered drinks, which was followed by a rude comment and loud embarrassing response from the attendant on just how may people were on the flight and we had to wait. We would have not had said anything if he didn't seem completely dismissive with our request. I understand they are busy but the attendant's responsive was just rude. This was my first trip with southwestern and the flight started off fantastic with the attendant making jokes and my previous flight before the lay over was seamless and fantastic. This absolutely ruined my experience with Southwestern on how rude the attendant was.
RouteChicago to Las Vegas

"more than satisfactory"

Verified Review | I was unable to fly from Nashville to Dallas because of the hurricane in Texas. Southwest staff bent over backwards to help me and the outcome has been more than satisfactory. I feel very grateful for the standard of customer service.
RouteNashville to Dallas
Date FlownAugust 2017

"because we are not liable"

Verified Review | Salt Lake City to Albuquerque. Extremely upset with the service of Southwest. I am a freelance makeup artist and have to fly sometimes for jobs. Have never had a problem with Southwest until now. I check my makeup kit due to the fact I have a lot of liquids and can't have it as a carry on. I had them put a fragile sticker on just as a precaution because I packed it well and it should have been fine. I opened my kit once I get on site for my job and everything is shattered. I was reassured by numerous Southwest incident associates that since the damage was extensive and puts me out of a job I should be reimbursed. Going through months of trying to get my case looked at and have to deny jobs due to the fact my equipment is ruined they finally got back to me. "Unfortunately we will not be reimbursing you because we are not liable. Here's a voucher for your next flight" Thanks for putting me out hundred of dollars, putting me out of a job, oh! But thanks for the voucher.
RouteSalt Lake City to Albuquerque
Date FlownMay 2017

"both flights were delayed"

Verified Review | This is the second time in as many months that I have tried to fly Southwest from Burbank to Salt Lake City. Both flights were delayed a significant amount of time and no notice until 30 minutes before scheduled departure. I asked an agent if it would be okay to leave so that I didn't have to sit in the airport for 2.5 hours. He said he wouldn't advise it because the departure time can change again. When I asked if any of the times they put up mean anything he said "yes!" Obviously didn't get my sarcasm. When I asked why my flights keep getting delayed his only response was "it's the nature of the business." If that is the case, why do we have departure times at all? If this had been a one time scenario I could understand, but this seems to be happening more and more. Do not trust this airline to fly on time more than about 20% of their flights. That seems to be my average.
RouteBurbank to Salt Lake City