Southwest Airlines

"saved my entire trip"

Review by (United States)

I missed my Southwest Airlines flight from JAX to CLE because I left my wallet at home. They put me on the next flight in the morning at no extra charge. The flight attendants were very professional and courteous, and some very funny. The drinks are reasonably priced also. When I got to Cleveland, I got all the way to the baggage return, picked up my bag, waited outside for 10 minutes for my ride, and then realized I didn't have my wallet. I of course go racing back inside and find the first Southwest Airlines employee I can, because I am well beyond TSA checkpoints and can't get back to the gate. They immediately ask on the radio if they have a wallet and the radio comes over saying yes they have it asking what my last name is. They saved my entire trip.
RouteJAX to CLE
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"the best in this business"

Review by (United States)

I've flown Southwest Airlines for the past 10 years. I just returned from San Antonio, TX. An excellent flight going and coming, Both pilots were great. Flight# 3147 from San Antonio and flight attendants were top shelf employees, the best in this business - helpful, attentive and knowledgeable. Not too busy to look customers in the eye or shake hands with people. We really had a great trip and the whole process was enhanced because of these people.
RouteSTL to SAN

Review by (United States)

I will never fly Southwest again. If you have a flight that connects and leaves after 2pm you will more likely than not miss the connecting flight and be stranded overnight. They offer no assistance in that event regardless of if it was their fault or not and they will never put you on another airline. They offer frequent flights between LAX and SF Bay Area making it popular with business travelers. The problem is that they routinely cancel flights 20 minutes before departure because the flight is less than half full and then send you on a later flight 2 or 3 hours later making it impossible to schedule and attend meetings the same day. Southwest went from the very best no frills airline 10 years ago to one of the top 10 worst now. I wouldn't use any airline now unless they are a direct flight. For LAX to SF Area use Jet Blue, Virgin America or Alaska Airlines, not Southwest.
RoutePHL to LAX via Alanta

Review by (United States)

I see a lot of negative reviews and honestly in the 19 years I have flown with this airline I have had nothing but good things happen to me. I had to make an international flight in Seattle and I had no trouble at all. The reason why they have open seating is to speed up the boarding process. And yes they do pack a lot of people into planes because they do such a good job! The attendants are really wonderful about 95% of the time. I have had some okay attendants but we all have our bad days.
RouteReno to Seattle via Las Vegas
Date FlownJune 2015

Review by (United States)

Will never fly this airline again. First of all their scheduling is poor. I got a text every 3 to five minutes with multiple changes in departure time. Times moving forward and back ranging 2 hrs back to 30 min delay. The plane boarded 3 times before they actually departed. The flight itself was 20 min longer than it was supposed to be. The connecting flight departed 10 min before we landed. They tell me that this is common and they don't compensate for this situation. I will pay for extra bags and assigned seating, because I will fly with an airline that care about their customers instead of putting on a front with fancy advertising. Completely unprofessional.
RouteHouston to Norfolk

Review by (United States)

What a rotten standby policy. If Southwest has openings on flights and you want to go earlier than your scheduled flight they make you pay extra to "reschedule" your flight because technically standby is only available to those who have missed a flight! The seat is empty, you've paid for a ticket for a seat on a later flight but Southwest is unwilling to accommodate you.
RoutePortland to Tucson

Review by (United States)

The flight from Charlotte was ok, except the staff had no wings for my two daughters who were flying for the first time, and the multiple delays. There were so many problems with the return flight we had to cancel and fly back with Delta Air Lines. Southwest Airlines ground staff were not empathetic at all to the situation of our flight being canceled twice.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteBuffalo to Charlotte via Chicago

Review by (United States)

We did a round trip flight to Milwaukee from Boise. We experienced a 7 hour delay in Boise and had to stay in Vegas. They offered no help with lodging or discounted flights etc. Now on the return trip once again we have a 3 hour delay out of Denver. They are supposedly delaying our flight to accommodate passengers on a second incoming flight to Denver. I will never fly Southwest again. Pay 25 bucks a bag and go with another airline - they dropped the ball on our trip.
RouteBoise to Milwaukee

Review by (United States)

First time traveling with Southwest to PUJ from IAD. On August 15, 2015 I traveled from PUJ to MDW. Before departing the airplane, the pilot informed passengers that all flights to Washington were cancelled and to proceed to ticketing. So once I cleared customs, I went upstairs to the ticketing counter and after spending almost an hour in line, I was told my flight to IAD had been cleared. It was around 4:15pm. So they took my baggage and told me to proceed to the gate. I had to go through security again. After spending over 3 hours at the gate, I was informed again the flight had been cancelled. Customer Service said that Southwest had only two flights to IAD on 8/16 and the flights were full and they could get me on a flight on Tuesday. I understand the issue with air traffic control, however FAA stated computers were back in service at 4 pm on 8/15. Southwest only had three to four flights to IAD and my flight was at 8:55 pm. So with only four flights, Southwest could not get the later flights to IAD out? I'm stuck in an airport on standby but the only thing Southwest say is sorry, it wasn't our fault. Southwest needs to do a better job with its flights and with IAD being a major airport, more flights to and from are needed. Southwest also need to branch out to ORD and contract with other airlines to assist in situations like this. Having customers wait for three days to catch another flight without any form of compensation is unacceptable. Offering free baggages and open seating will not keep customers.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RoutePUJ to IAD

Review by (United States)

I have been flying with Southwest Airlines for the past 3 months between LAS to BUR, this is the first time my flight got delayed because of weather conditions in Las Vegas on Aug 13, the 5.05 flight. Staff have been friendly and communicating well on delays, after we boarded the flight it was delayed again for 1 hour. While we were waiting on a part I requested a glass of water, the flight attendant refused to give water even though I mentioned I needed to take my medication. Sorry Southwest this will be my last flight.
RouteBurbank to Las Vegas