Southwest Airlines

Review by (United States)

I will never fly Southwest again. If you have a flight that connects and leaves after 2pm you will more likely than not miss the connecting flight and be stranded overnight. They offer no assistance in that event regardless of if it was their fault or not and they will never put you on another airline. They offer frequent flights between LAX and SF Bay Area making it popular with business travelers. The problem is that they routinely cancel flights 20 minutes before departure because the flight is less than half full and then send you on a later flight 2 or 3 hours later making it impossible to schedule and attend meetings the same day. Southwest went from the very best no frills airline 10 years ago to one of the top 10 worst now. I wouldn't use any airline now unless they are a direct flight. For LAX to SF Area use Jet Blue, Virgin America or Alaska Airlines, not Southwest.
RoutePHL to LAX via Alanta

Review by (United States)

I see a lot of negative reviews and honestly in the 19 years I have flown with this airline I have had nothing but good things happen to me. I had to make an international flight in Seattle and I had no trouble at all. The reason why they have open seating is to speed up the boarding process. And yes they do pack a lot of people into planes because they do such a good job! The attendants are really wonderful about 95% of the time. I have had some okay attendants but we all have our bad days.
RouteReno to Seattle via Las Vegas
Date FlownJune 2015

Review by (United States)

Will never fly this airline again. First of all their scheduling is poor. I got a text every 3 to five minutes with multiple changes in departure time. Times moving forward and back ranging 2 hrs back to 30 min delay. The plane boarded 3 times before they actually departed. The flight itself was 20 min longer than it was supposed to be. The connecting flight departed 10 min before we landed. They tell me that this is common and they don't compensate for this situation. I will pay for extra bags and assigned seating, because I will fly with an airline that care about their customers instead of putting on a front with fancy advertising. Completely unprofessional.
RouteHouston to Norfolk

Review by (United States)

What a rotten standby policy. If Southwest has openings on flights and you want to go earlier than your scheduled flight they make you pay extra to "reschedule" your flight because technically standby is only available to those who have missed a flight! The seat is empty, you've paid for a ticket for a seat on a later flight but Southwest is unwilling to accommodate you.
RoutePortland to Tucson

Review by (United States)

The flight from Charlotte was ok, except the staff had no wings for my two daughters who were flying for the first time, and the multiple delays. There were so many problems with the return flight we had to cancel and fly back with Delta Air Lines. Southwest Airlines ground staff were not empathetic at all to the situation of our flight being canceled twice.
RouteBuffalo to Charlotte via Chicago

Review by (United States)

We did a round trip flight to Milwaukee from Boise. We experienced a 7 hour delay in Boise and had to stay in Vegas. They offered no help with lodging or discounted flights etc. Now on the return trip once again we have a 3 hour delay out of Denver. They are supposedly delaying our flight to accommodate passengers on a second incoming flight to Denver. I will never fly Southwest again. Pay 25 bucks a bag and go with another airline - they dropped the ball on our trip.
RouteBoise to Milwaukee

Review by (United States)

First time traveling with Southwest to PUJ from IAD. On August 15, 2015 I traveled from PUJ to MDW. Before departing the airplane, the pilot informed passengers that all flights to Washington were cancelled and to proceed to ticketing. So once I cleared customs, I went upstairs to the ticketing counter and after spending almost an hour in line, I was told my flight to IAD had been cleared. It was around 4:15pm. So they took my baggage and told me to proceed to the gate. I had to go through security again. After spending over 3 hours at the gate, I was informed again the flight had been cancelled. Customer Service said that Southwest had only two flights to IAD on 8/16 and the flights were full and they could get me on a flight on Tuesday. I understand the issue with air traffic control, however FAA stated computers were back in service at 4 pm on 8/15. Southwest only had three to four flights to IAD and my flight was at 8:55 pm. So with only four flights, Southwest could not get the later flights to IAD out? I'm stuck in an airport on standby but the only thing Southwest say is sorry, it wasn't our fault. Southwest needs to do a better job with its flights and with IAD being a major airport, more flights to and from are needed. Southwest also need to branch out to ORD and contract with other airlines to assist in situations like this. Having customers wait for three days to catch another flight without any form of compensation is unacceptable. Offering free baggages and open seating will not keep customers.
RoutePUJ to IAD

Review by (United States)

I have been flying with Southwest Airlines for the past 3 months between LAS to BUR, this is the first time my flight got delayed because of weather conditions in Las Vegas on Aug 13, the 5.05 flight. Staff have been friendly and communicating well on delays, after we boarded the flight it was delayed again for 1 hour. While we were waiting on a part I requested a glass of water, the flight attendant refused to give water even though I mentioned I needed to take my medication. Sorry Southwest this will be my last flight.
RouteBurbank to Las Vegas

Review by (United States)

Our party of 5 was early to arrive at the airport for check in. Our boarding passes indicated Section C. When boarding they call people with 'A', 'B', and 'C'. We were the only 'c's. When entering the plane, we were all looking for seats 29-33. It didn't take long to figure out these seats/rows did not exist. Over the loud speaker it was announced that they were ready to take of and 'find a seat'. If you see any empty one 'take it'. They must board you by alphabet since we had the initial 'W" as our last names. This was the same as our flight back, however we had 2 people behind us, so we were one of the last 7 passengers to board. None of us sat together on either flight. If you want to sit together you have to pay an extra $40 per person, for an assigned seat.
RouteMilwaukee to Cancun

Review by (United States)

Flightas are always delayed hours and are filthy. Just look at the window sills on every flight compared to every other airline. Black dirt rings and trash in the seat back accompany the dirty seats. If you try to get an earlier flight they want to charge a fee equal to the original ticket cost, and will not let you use you frequent flyer miles to switch flights. Southwest Airlines is a horrible airline.