Airline of the Year

Southwest Airlines

"absolute new favorite airline"

Verified Review | Buffalo to Denver via Phoenix. This was my first time flying with Southwest. I had heard that they were excellent and after my horrendous experience with AA at the beginning of my trip, I decided to switch my return flight to Southwest Airlines. Everyone from the lady at the check in counter to the flight attendants were amazing. The seats were comfortable, good IFE. The flight attendant from Phoenix to Denver was the best I have ever had on a flight and I fly several times a year. My only complaint was that my baggage was put on the wrong flight out of Phoenix into Denver but the lady at baggage claim was so kind and helpful in making sure that my baggage got back to me quickly. My absolute new favorite airline. I'm so glad I decided to fly this airline.
RouteBuffalo to Denver via Phoenix
Date FlownMay 2017

"I'm not impressed at all"

Verified Review | I flew from Raleigh to Tampa with a carry on. When heading home (full flight) I'm in A group and conveniently I'm unable to carry on the same bag which put me at the back of the line and forced to sit in the middle of two full sized men and not even able to sit with my husband. I always fly Allegiant and decided to pay more, triple more so I could get to my destination a little sooner and I'm not impressed at all. Now, we've been sitting on a hot plane for 15 minutes and they just let us know we have to headbback to the gate for maintance. I'd rather be flying Allegiant.
RouteRaleigh to Tampa
Date FlownMay 2017

"amazing customer service experience"

Unverified | Minneapolis to Washington via Chicago. I had an amazing customer service experience yesterday. My flight was delayed 40 minutes, so I landed in Chicago at 9pm. My connection boarded at 8:40, leaving at 9pm. I was sprinting from gate B3 to B7 at 9:02pm (sorry to the person who's bag I rolled over) and it was empty. Suddenly a lady comes running over "are you Rebecca?!" I can only nod yes before I bend over to catch my breath, as she barely slows to pull open the door and continues at full speed down the bridge. A flight attendant comes back with her to scan my ticket, and I thankfully board the plane and arrive home at midnight. Words cannot express how much I needed to catch that flight and not extend this trip. Thank you Southwest!
RouteMinneapolis to Washington via Chicago

"No apologies, nothing"

Verified Review | Burbank to Tucson via Las Vegas. I am writing this before I fly with them once again tomorrow because I am so disgusted. I got a notice that my flight( tonight) was delayed two hours. I couldn't get in touch with anyone for over 30 minutes. Their site said "no info." So I finally talked to a REAL person (after being tortured with stupid offers a cruise, Medic Alert and all kinds of other rubbish.) I asked if my connecting flight to Tucson was delayed. Yes, one hour, but will leave before I arrive in Vegas. "There are no flights to Tucson tonight." So I would have just sat in the airport all night? No apologies, nothing.
RouteBurbank to Tucson via Las Vegas
Date FlownMay 2017

"flight attendants knowledgeable and funny"

Verified Review | Southwest Airlines continues to do what their advertising says: the best service with the customer in mind. Flew from Phoenix, AZ to Hartford, CT. Found the prices, free luggage and no change fees terrific. Made a change over the phone with a helpful agent in a matter of minutes. With other airlines, it would have taken a lot longer and cost $100+. Also, the flight attendants were knowledgeable and funny. Now, whenever possible, I fly Southwest.
RoutePhoenix, AZ to Hartford, CT
Date FlownMay 2017

"will not use Southwest again"

Unverified | On my return flight from Atlanta we were shuttled to Chicago instead of going to straight to Detroit. They told us they would give us a voucher for the inconvenience. I did not receive my voucher and contacted them several times. They said they would email it and then I couldn't open the email. They said they would put it in the mail then I didn't receive it. Finally after booking another flight to Atlanta and paying for it, I got 2 vouchers in the mail. I tried to book another flight using the vouchers, but was told that one of them was not valid. I spent 1 hour on the phone holding for customer service and was told that the one voucher which came at the same time as the other one was the older one which they had cancelled and reissued. I felt at this point that Southwest owed me at the very least another voucher. But they were not willing to help me out for my troubles. I will not use Southwest again due to the poor customer service.
RouteDetroit to Atlanta
Date FlownOctober 2016

"reconsider flying them again"

Verified Review | Orlando to Boston via Nashville. I am very upset with the service of this airline. I have never had a problem with Southwest Airlines prior to this trip. On the way down from Boston, the plan was switched twice due to mechanical issues. Needless to say we were stuck in Logan for an additional four hours. They thought that a $100 per voucher per ticket would be okay. Absolutely wrong. We missed our connecting flight and had issues with our car rental because we were late. On our return flight, we had felt with a rude desk staff at gate 121/122. I had asked if we could use the family boarding due to the fact that one of my brothers had a fear of flying and the other, it was his second time flying. They are 17 and 13. She said nope, he's not 6 and I am not allowing it, the standards are enforced here. I told her the southwest personnel in Boston and in Baltimore understood our situation and allowed us to board with families. She said she was not allowing it what so ever. I asked for a manager she said no one was around. I then proceeded to ask for the customer care line to where she gave me a card with minimal information on it. I had to ask a second time for the number. I am very displeased with the entire trip with flying with Southwest Airlines and I will reconsider flying with them again.
RouteOrlando to Boston via Nashville
Date FlownMay 2017

"we would not fly Southwest again"

Verified Review | Midway-Chicago to Tampa, with Southwest Airlines. My husband and I haven't flown in years. Staff were friendly, but not so helpful. The boarding process was fine, until we actually got to the plane. We were unaware that there is not assigned seating. We had to separate, him in front me in back. I was very upset about this as I was already nervous about the flight to begin with. Now I had to sit with strangers. We were one of the last to board and it was obvious we were together (tickets purchased together). Not one staff member tried to help and see if they could get us seats together. The icing on the cake was the horrible uncomfortable flight between two larger men. At this point I had fully decided, we would not fly Southwest again. Fortunately this flight was only 2.5hrs. Their flights are cheap, but I will pay the extra to a different airline to be comfortable, and to sit with the people I am flying with. I did notice that they let families flying with children board first which is great! I have two children that I would want with me too, had they been traveling with us. One suggestion though, maybe couples be allowed to board after that then singles could fill in the empty seats. Or just have assigned seating.
RouteChicago Midway to Tampa
Date FlownApril 2017

"can't say I will fly them again"

Verified Review | Orange County to Louisville. When boarding my plane, Southwest Airlines requested volunteers for being bumped onto another flight, I was second in line to offer up my seat for $300. Halfway getting onto the plane (I was in the B boarding group), they called me off of the plane. Ten people had to climb over my suitcase while I got off the airplane, and I was told after getting off that they didn't need me to volunteer anymore. Angrily, I re-boarded the plane and was the last person to get on, and had to sit in the only seat available in the very back of the plane. When I got to my connecting flight, I was supposed to stay on the airplane and go to the next city. Upon landing, I was told to get off the airplane and would be moved to another plane at a different gate. This gate and plane change was not the only inconvenience, the plane would now be delayed by 2.5 hours! This would put me in at 01:40am! My husband has to work in the morning and we live nearly an hour away from the airport, so he has to come get me in the middle of the night. My original arrival time would have been at 22.50 or (10.50 pm). The ticket lady told me that the pilot forgot his passport in Cancun? I'm not sure what that has to do with why the plane was over two hours late. This infuriated me. I am a frequent customer with this airline because of their cheap fares. I get you get what you pay for. I can't say I will be flying with them again, unless I'm desperate for a cheap flight.
RouteOrange County to Louisville
Date FlownApril 2017

"very disappointed with Southwest"

Verified Review | Indianapolis to Las Vegas with Southwest Airlines. Worst flying experience I've had. Got a later flight non-stop, booked to take off at 8:45 but my flight was delayed 3 times and by the 3rd time it was because the pilot had too many flying hours. They didn't have a back up pilot until roughly 20min after the plane has landed, that backup pilot was in St. Louis. So on my non-stop flight we had to make a stop. I bought the internet and it kept going on and off, on and off. Why offer internet if you can't have a stable connection? Better yet why do you charge for it if the Internet Is poor? Ridiculous honestly, I'm very disappointed with Southwest.
RouteIndianapolis to Las Vegas