Southwest Airlines

Review by (United States) 27th July 2015

I flew Southwest 5 times in the month of July and was delayed at least 2 hours for every flight. My parents are flying home on Southwest as we speak and are delayed 3 hours. Their plane made it to the runway and now is receiving maintenance while passengers remain on the plane with no a/c. Add at least 2 hours to any trip you book with southwest. Unacceptable service.
RouteOrlando to Baltimore

Review by (United States) 27th July 2015

Flight from Seattle to San Jose - flight 923 - landed on time, but the connecting flight to Ontario - flight 4032 - scheduled to leave at 8.30pm was going to be delayed to an unknown time, as the lady behind the counter was telling us that the plane encountered mechanical problems but would post the exact departure time as soon as the plane was airborne. At exactly the same time the PA announcer explained the delay was due to fog over San Diego. Finally and after about two hours delay and the merging of the Phoenix flight with ours, we boarded heading to Ontario.
RouteSeattle to Ontario via San Jose

Review by (United States) 27th July 2015

Flight 2674 from Ontario to San Jose was delayed about 40 minutes, lady behind counter claimed delay was due to mechanical problems, suggested to carry our luggage on so we can catch up with our connecting flight -flight 862- to Seattle. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately or it could have been planned that way, the flight to Seattle, was also delayed over one hour. Was told 20 people on the same plane boarded the plane heading to Seattle.
RouteOntario to Seattle via San Jose

Review by (United States) 24th July 2015

I'm very upset that Southwest has chosen to implement this new boarding system. I'm flying with my 10y/o daughter. I checked in online and received what I thought were seat numbers. No, it was a boarding position. The flight was full and all the "A boarding positions" were taken so I couldn't even pay the extra $80 to increase the chances of my child sitting with me on the flight! I don't care where I sit on the plane, however, when I'm traveling with my 10 y/o daughter or any family, it's nice to sit with them. I would rather fly with an airline that assign seats upon check-in than to roll the dice to see if I can sit with my child. My first bag is free but to sit next to my child is $40 per ticket. Spirit Airlines doesn't even charge extra to assign seats to their passengers once they check in and Spirit charges for everything.
RouteBuffalo, NY to Dallas, TX

Review by (Mexico) 23rd July 2015

This is the first time that I've flown WN, so I didn't really know what to expect. Check in at BOS was efficient and the attendants were friendly. I opted to purchase the "early bird check in" and was slotted at A53. The aircraft was nice and clean. The FAs were friendly, and were helpful. The flight left on time, and actually landed 30 minutes ahead of schedule. I had no problem finding a seat that I liked. Based on this one experience, I would recommend and fly WN again.
RouteBoston to St. Louis

Review by (United States) 21st July 2015

On a recent flight originating from Fort Lauderdale, FL to Richmond, connecting in Atlanta, the plane arrived to the terminal on time and was expected to depart on time. After the incoming passengers exited, the person in charge of boarding made no attempt to load the plane. After a lengthy delay the passengers of flight 1505 were informed that a service technician was addressing a problem and the flight would incur a minor delay. In a confusing and poor miscommunication between the Gate personnel and the gate attendant we were given conflicting and garbled information as to new delays and would be given more updates as soon as the problem was closer to correction. I checked the Arrivals/Departures monitors and saw that numerous incoming and departing Southwest flights were being delayed by hours. Another update around 3 hours later informed us that the scheduled Flight 1505 would not be departing at all. A different plane would be assigned to Fort Lauderdale once it landed from Atlanta. This would be around 10.20 pm. We were finally asked to form a line to make arrangements for whatever Southwest could come up with. My best option was to wait until Monday to get back to Richmond. I tactfully informed the Gate Agent that that was not an option as I had a job to return to. I asked about a flight closer to Richmond, ready to be boarded. I was told that option wasn't available, and there was nothing left. Finally I asked if another flight could get us closer to Richmond, and a rental car be provided to drive the remaining distance. Again, nothing but the travel vouchers were offered. Then a option to book a flight to BWI was available, arriving at 2.00 am. No hotels were available. I again asked about car rental. I was informed Southwest didn't offer or would pay for a rental. No other airline was available either, seems SW doesn't work with anyone else either. We took the flight to BWI, and had to get a rental at 2.00 am. Arriving home at 5.00 am, and with a extreme distaste for the way Southwest treats their paying customers, we decided never to use this carrier again.
RouteFLL to RIC

Review by (United States) 20th July 2015

It's become the "usual now" I am a loyal Southwest customer, fly 2-3 weeks each month. Now delayed 3+hrs due to maintenance issues in La Guardia. That's 3 substantial, over an hour, delays in last 4 flights. Sure makes it easier to pick other airlines.
RouteNashville to Seattle

Review by (New Zealand) 16th July 2015

We were advised at Phoenix Airport that the plane would be leaving 45 mins late. Not good for us as we had to connect with an Air New Zealand flight to NZ and the arrival time would leave us rushing to check-in for this flight. Ground staff were very good and got us on to a previous flight due to leave in 20 mins. We made our connection. Earlier in the trip we flew Southwest, LA to Nashville and New Orleans to Phoenix - both flights approx 40 mins late. Also our friends from Canada flew Phoenix to Seattle, same story, about 40-45 mins late leaving. Last Monday, the 13th, our daughter flew from Las Vegas to LA. The plane left 40 mins late. With our future USA trips, we'll be re-thinking our airline travel stategy!
RoutePhoenix AZ to Los Angeles CA

Review by (United States) 15th July 2015

I was traveling alone with two children and was told I would board with the A group. Every plane was delayed. Then my returning flights home were delayed. No one could tell me why there were all these delays. Southwest is terrible all around. Then I get on my flight to Rochester only for the flight attendant to say there is no WiFi onboard. My flight was supposed to leave at 10.20pm than changed to 11.35, and I'm still sitting here after midnight.
RouteAtlanta to Baltimore via Rochester

Review by (United States) 14th July 2015

The gate/checking was in total disarray. The fare status was not updated, manual time displayed at the gate was outdated and the line was extremely long and stagnant at the gate. Passengers were not receiving adequate resolution or gate agents were not properly trained to address the situation. The gate was later changed with no communication, the boarding started with minimal communication. The flight was overbooked or consolidated with other flights and it was extremely uncomfortable. The flight did not leave at the updated delayed departure time posted. There was no communication from the staff who preferred to just talk to each other rather than the customers.
RouteLGA to LAS via Chicago