Vote Now

Southwest Airlines

"the first and last time I fly Southwest"

Verified Review | This is the first and last time I fly Southwest. I'm very dissapointed after hearing nothing but great things about the airline. I flew in from Dallas Lovefield to Phoenix Arizona for a business meeting. On my way out of Dallas I found no line. But I did find two female Southwest employees at the check in counter chatting about the night before. They were very disinterested in being engaged with me during the chek in process but they got the job done and checked my bag in, as well as print my boarding pass for me. When it came time to board I was in the B group. That was far enough back to land me in the last row by the bathroom but at least it was an aisle seat. Great since I'm 28-going on 29 weeks pregnant and I may need to get up to use the rest room. I've only flown American and Delta with assigned seats. I hate this open seating policy because the person who came to sit next to me was a large man who barely fit into the middle seat and caused for an uncomfortable ride. I had to lean out toward the aisle the entire flight. Once we landed they open the back door to reload snacks and drinks for the plane that is going on to San Diego I believe. No big deal until the plan begins to get refueled! The fumes were so strong and awful. Fast forward a day, I'm pleased to go home to Dallas, hoping for better luck with my seat this time. Unfortunately my pass says I'm in group C. Even further out from boarding than on my flight in. At our boarding time of 5.15pm we were told that the flight crew for our flight will not even land until 5.45pm, that we may begin boarding at 6.10pm to leave at 6.30pm. This is all a maybe. You would think a company would have better logistics to get their staff here earlier or on time.
RouteDallas to Phoenix

"disrespect we received"

Verified Review | Austin to Denver. There was a checkin problem and they were no help. My wife and I could not even sit together. Their pre boarding check in failed and screwed us. This is the last time I will ever use Southwest Airlines. The level of disrespect we received from their support people was beyond stupid. We paid extra for this too?
RouteAustin to Denver
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"one of the poorest experiences"

Verified Review | Oakland to Burbank. I had one of the poorest experiences in recent travel with Southwest Airlines. I found the ground crew and attendents at the gates somewhat rude and very unhelpful. I missed my flight because of a last minute gate change and when I complained about lack of proper communication the gate crew rolled her eyes and looked away. So unprofessional! Perhaps Southwest should treat its employees better so they don't act out like this in public and treat the passengers better.
RouteOakland to Burbank
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"don't like the group seating arrangement"

Verified Review | Nashville to Minneapolis. I will never fly Southwest Airlines again. Direct flight and we had a stop in Chicago? That doesn't sound like a direct flight. Got chuckled at when we questioned why. Checked in at the same time as my husband and our boarding "groups" are A and B. Therefore with the "group" seating we don't get to sit together. We could pay $80 to upgrade to preferred seating so we get first dibs on seats. If we checked in at the exact same time, tickets are linked one confirmation number why would our boarding "group" not be the same. Do not like the group seating arrangement. Will not fly this airline again.
RouteNashville to Minneapolis via Chicago
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"stupidest airline in the sky"

Unverified | Newark to Orlando. Open seating policy. I've never flown Southwest Airlines before today. In fact we're still taxiing as I write this. I was told the night before that there is an open seating policy with Southwest but until boarding I didn't quite understand what that meant. For those of you who do not know, when you check-in you are assigned a zone and a number. This is the order by which you board and from there it's general admission. Maybe that sounds fine until you travel with your wife and kid and realize that you will be forced to rely on the general good will of the 160 people who have boarded the plane ahead of you in order to sit with your family. We were not so fortunate. Even when the entire plane of passengers was bribed with free drinks for the flight, there were still no takers. I boarded the plane only to find 14 or so empty middle seats. This is my first and last flight on Southwest Airlines. The stupidest airline in the sky.
RouteEWR to MCO
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"have had 99% good experiences"

Verified Review | Reno to South Padre Island via Dallas. Great seats, excellent service, on time departure and arrival, good value. I have been flying Southwest since I was 18 (and before that, but not on my own dollar). I have the SWA Chase points card RapidRewards. I love that too. The only thing SWA does not offer is premium econ, between first class and coach, which I wish they did. Often on flights I give them my drink coupons or offer to pay and they don't let me, they will comp the drink, or a nearby passenger will share coupons. Not sure why but the people who choose to fly SWA are pretty awesome. Great baggage handling and free bags. Excellent flight change policy: it is free, and if you need to catch a flight from another airline, they will try to help, which has saved me a huge amount of stress and dollars. I have had 99% good experiences with Southwest Air. I wish they flew to Hawaii and Europe!
RouteReno to South Padre Island via Dallas
Date FlownDecember 2016

"Horrible customer service"

Verified Review | Orlando to Minneapolis via Atlanta. Worst experience flying to date. Horrible customer service, no compassion. After being taxied to the run way we were taxied back to the gate, they bumped us to another flight without giving any other options, because with the time sitting at the gate we would not make our connecting flight. We now have over 8hrs of extra time in the airport. We were not offered anything for the inconvenience and we're handed a card with a customer service phone number. When calling the number they are open Monday through Friday and we are flying on a Saturday, not helpful at all. Not once did anyone apologize for the inconvenience but instead made us feel like an inconvenience to them. I would not recommend Southwest Airlines to anyone, especially when traveling with kids.
RouteOrlando to Minneapolis
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"issue is the false advertisement"

Verified Review | Houston to Midland via Dallas. I'm disappointed because the Southwest Airlines commercials and adds state that if an emergency arises that they are always willing to work with a customer. I called Southwest, stated that we had a family emergency arise, that I had to transport my mom to the hospital. The customer agent stated she was sorry and that I needed to pay $216.00 extra for another flight. If you're going to charge people then don't tell us you would love to work with us. However inflight services by pilots and cabin crew are and have always been fantastic for me, the airline has been on time and in most cases saved 20 mins from jetway to jetway. I had one flight that was 20 mins late only because the pilots had a false engine reverse thruster alarm sound when landing from the previous flight which the mechanics corrected promptly and without incident. My only issue is the false advertisement.
RouteHOU to MAF via DAL

"Poor customer service"

Oakland to Las Vegas. I have not yet taken this flight yet, but I was rescheduled to take this March 8 flight after my March 7 flight was canceled 2 months in advance with out any reason. We cannot take a later flight as I purchased these tickets to match up with a wedding trip in Hawaii. When a customer is put at a disadvantage the company usually does something to accommodate the disadvantage they put the customer in. Southwest only offered to refund my flight. But there is no other airline that is flying to our home that late. The only offer that would be accommodating is to refund atleast partial points, or the money I had to spend to buy the points. Now my husband and I have to spend $100 on a hotel room to stay the night in oakland. I am a Southwest card-holder. Two other family members are, they only use Southwest, and that will change now. Poor customer service and an unwillingness to refund me in points even!
RouteOakland to Las Vegas
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"Disappointed in the service"

Verified Review | Louisville to Dallas via Tampa. There wasn't enough room for all carry-on bags. People forced to check personal bags including purses. Seating was first come first serve but we weren't told about that. I wasn't able to sit with my husband even after spending a good chunk of money for the tickets. Squished between two strangers for a three hour flight. Disappointed in the service.
RouteSDF to DAL via TPA