Airline of the Year

Southwest Airlines

"we were given no updates or information"

Verified Review | It was the worst flight I've ever taken. Flew from Fort Lauderdale, FL to Islip, NY. They delayed us an hour due to weather, 2 hours due to air traffic control, and then 5 hours because the pilot's hours to fly had expired and they needed to find another crew. Found a crew and then the crew cancelled at 2am. They then made me wait in a line for 3 hours to change my flight. I was in the airport for 12 hours straight and all they provided me was a mini bag of mini pretzels and 6oz water. They refused a hotel, transportation and food after keeping us in an airport for 12 hours just to cancel the flight. They expected me to travel for 24 hours straight starting at 6am. Meaning they wanted me to stay up for 48 hours straight. I get on the flight for 24 hours later, a direct flight and they delayed my 6.20pm flight until 10.45pm. I had to reschedule my flight for the following day yet again and they weren't willing to provide hotel, transportation or food once again. So my flight was initially 6.30pm from Fort Lauderdale and we were supposed to land at 9.20pm in Islip. We were given an hour delay due to weather (7.30pm-10.30pm). After the delay, we boarded the plane (7.00pm). They then proceeded to keep us on the plane for over an hour as directed by federal air traffic control (8.00pm). Then they made us sit another hour on the plane demanding that we all stay in our seats and stay buckled because they expected to depart soon (9pm). After this hour, the pilot comes on the PA system and told us that he's reached the maximum number of consecutive hours that the pilot policies allow (9.30). They took us back to the gate where we were given no updates or information for at least 2 hours (11.30). After this, they told us that they were trying to find a pilot and crew to fly the plane. They then told us that our flight would board at 12.50am. They delayed us twice more until they cancelled my flight at approximately 2am. They automatically rebooked me for a flight that would board at 8.30am in Fort Lauderdale and would bring me to Tampa. They would then give me a 10 hour layover in Tampa. I would board the 10.30pm flight to Islip and get back at approximately 1.30am. I waited in a line 3 hours to get this changed and also demanded a hotel, transportation, and food (5am). They hadn't fed us anything but a mini sized bag of mini pretzels and 6oz of water in 13 hours. They refused a hotel. They refused transportation. They refused food. They also told me that they could not change this horrible flight. I went back to them twice and harassed them before they finally put me on a flight that boarded exactly 24 hours from the one I originally had. The woman was extremely snotty and rude to me the entire time. I had to call my friend at 5 in the morning after she, her parents and my parents stayed up the entire night. My friend picked me up at 5.45am because Southwest wouldn't even provide me with a taxi.
RouteFort Lauderdale, FL to Islip, NY
Date FlownJune 2017

"last trip was very upsetting"

Verified Review | I have flown Southwest in the past and never had problems with it. However, this last trip was very upsetting due to the very rude customer service. We had a flight from Chicago to Dallas and then to El Paso which is home for us. From Chicago to Dallas as we started approaching Dallas the weather conditions became difficult and we knew we were going to have delays. It took an hour to land and I completely understand and would never complain about the fact that there are delays due to weather and also due to keeping us safe. Once we landed our next flight was delayed for about an hour. So we hung around and waited. Then it got delayed for another half hour, 45 minutes, then delayed for 15 more minutes, etc. The delays kept coming, then finally they said we were going to board. So they told us they would be ready to board but they couldn't find a pilot. This was at around 11:30 pm. So they kept saying a pilot was on his way and any minute now we will board. Around 1 am I get a notification that the flight has been cancelled. I wish it could have gotten cancelled earlier so we could make accommodations as to where to sleep. I don't understand how you don't have a pilot. And if that's the case, then please just tell us with time so we can make accommodations. People started running to Southwest counters and we were notified that only 2 counters were open. They said you can call and rebook or wait in line at the counter. I called as I waited in line and they told me they could not assist me over the phone because I had a bag checked in. When the counters opened everybody ran to the counter and I had to pick up my 5 year old who was asleep on the floor so by the time I got to the counter I was toward the end of the line. I stood in line until about 3:45 am. When it was finally my turn, the staff was extremely rude. They treated us like we should be grateful they were even lifting a finger for us. The first lady I talked to was Chinese and had broken English. As soon as I walked up she rolled her eyes at me. Before I even spoke. I felt contempt seeing as I was the one who had been standing in line close to 4 hours. But I am a nice person so I decided to smile and be polite anyway. I asked her to please rebook my flight as early as possible and she gave me 2 options: one for 7 am departure connecting at Austin which was already delayed or one for 7 pm direct flight. I told her I was skeptical about the 7 am one since it was already delayed but 7 pm is such a long time to wait when you don't have anywhere to sleep or shower and my luggage is checked in. She gave me a look of not my problem tapped her fingers on the counter and told me to pick one. I asked her if they could help accommodate us so we could sleep somewhere and at this she became very angry and told me "we aren't going to give you anything!" She treated me like I was trying to get some "advantage" of the situation. I just wanted a place to sleep, and if there's nothing to be done there is a way to state things politely. I told her I needed to think it over and I would come back but really I wanted to not be taken care of by her. I went back in line and got another representative. He was a little bit nicer but he also kept chatting to the guy next to him for long periods of time as if I wasn't there. Maybe the system was reloading or maybe he was just ignoring me. I saw a lot of people crying and I don't blame them. We slept at the airport until boarding time.
RouteChicago to El Paso via Dallas
Date FlownJune 2017

"expected better customer service"

Verified Review | Baltimore to Providence. Dissatisfied with Southwest's customer service policy. Flying today from Baltimore to Providence. Circumstances changed and trying to fly standby on an earlier flight home we were told it would be an additional $125 on a $60 flight. Watched the plane take off only half full. Would have cost them nothing to put us on that plane instead of spending 3 hours in the airport. I am a SW Rapid Rewards credit card holder and would have expected better customer service from a company that prides itself on no additional fees being their difference. Will definitely choose to use my travel cards that allow flexible flying on different airlines in the future.
RouteBaltimore to Providence
Date FlownMay 2017

"delay on return flight was 3 hours"

Verified Review | Washington to Providence. This was the first time I had flown Southwest in several years, never having had a problem in the past. This time was different! The departure flight was delayed 1.5 hours because of a "plane switch" related to a mechanical problem. While this was mildly annoying, I did not complain to any staff personnel. The delay on my return flight 2 days later was twice as long--3 hours--and for the same reason. By then, my patience was exhausted, so I asked for more information from the gate attendant. She informed me that our particular scheduled aircraft had not experienced any problem but instead had been rerouted to the west coast from Chicago to replace a plane that had been delayed for several hours while undergoing repairs, in other words, another "plane switch." That plane was instead used to ferry us to Wash., DC. Had repairs taken longer, we would have been stuck even longer in Providence, unless Southwest had decided to spread the misery even more. Southwest offered no alternative flights on other airlines nor did they offer a voucher as compensation for the delay. If their planes are so unreliable, perhaps they need to establish sharing arrangements with other airlines or keep planes in reserve for such occasions. Ground personnel were courteous but were apparently unable to offer any practical assistance or compensation for the inconvenience.
RouteWashington to Providence
Date FlownMay 2017

"absolute new favorite airline"

Verified Review | Buffalo to Denver via Phoenix. This was my first time flying with Southwest. I had heard that they were excellent and after my horrendous experience with AA at the beginning of my trip, I decided to switch my return flight to Southwest Airlines. Everyone from the lady at the check in counter to the flight attendants were amazing. The seats were comfortable, good IFE. The flight attendant from Phoenix to Denver was the best I have ever had on a flight and I fly several times a year. My only complaint was that my baggage was put on the wrong flight out of Phoenix into Denver but the lady at baggage claim was so kind and helpful in making sure that my baggage got back to me quickly. My absolute new favorite airline. I'm so glad I decided to fly this airline.
RouteBuffalo to Denver via Phoenix
Date FlownMay 2017

"I'm not impressed at all"

Verified Review | I flew from Raleigh to Tampa with a carry on. When heading home (full flight) I'm in A group and conveniently I'm unable to carry on the same bag which put me at the back of the line and forced to sit in the middle of two full sized men and not even able to sit with my husband. I always fly Allegiant and decided to pay more, triple more so I could get to my destination a little sooner and I'm not impressed at all. Now, we've been sitting on a hot plane for 15 minutes and they just let us know we have to headbback to the gate for maintance. I'd rather be flying Allegiant.
RouteRaleigh to Tampa
Date FlownMay 2017

"amazing customer service experience"

Unverified | Minneapolis to Washington via Chicago. I had an amazing customer service experience yesterday. My flight was delayed 40 minutes, so I landed in Chicago at 9pm. My connection boarded at 8:40, leaving at 9pm. I was sprinting from gate B3 to B7 at 9:02pm (sorry to the person who's bag I rolled over) and it was empty. Suddenly a lady comes running over "are you Rebecca?!" I can only nod yes before I bend over to catch my breath, as she barely slows to pull open the door and continues at full speed down the bridge. A flight attendant comes back with her to scan my ticket, and I thankfully board the plane and arrive home at midnight. Words cannot express how much I needed to catch that flight and not extend this trip. Thank you Southwest!
RouteMinneapolis to Washington via Chicago

"No apologies, nothing"

Verified Review | Burbank to Tucson via Las Vegas. I am writing this before I fly with them once again tomorrow because I am so disgusted. I got a notice that my flight( tonight) was delayed two hours. I couldn't get in touch with anyone for over 30 minutes. Their site said "no info." So I finally talked to a REAL person (after being tortured with stupid offers a cruise, Medic Alert and all kinds of other rubbish.) I asked if my connecting flight to Tucson was delayed. Yes, one hour, but will leave before I arrive in Vegas. "There are no flights to Tucson tonight." So I would have just sat in the airport all night? No apologies, nothing.
RouteBurbank to Tucson via Las Vegas
Date FlownMay 2017

"flight attendants knowledgeable and funny"

Verified Review | Southwest Airlines continues to do what their advertising says: the best service with the customer in mind. Flew from Phoenix, AZ to Hartford, CT. Found the prices, free luggage and no change fees terrific. Made a change over the phone with a helpful agent in a matter of minutes. With other airlines, it would have taken a lot longer and cost $100+. Also, the flight attendants were knowledgeable and funny. Now, whenever possible, I fly Southwest.
RoutePhoenix, AZ to Hartford, CT
Date FlownMay 2017

"will not use Southwest again"

Unverified | On my return flight from Atlanta we were shuttled to Chicago instead of going to straight to Detroit. They told us they would give us a voucher for the inconvenience. I did not receive my voucher and contacted them several times. They said they would email it and then I couldn't open the email. They said they would put it in the mail then I didn't receive it. Finally after booking another flight to Atlanta and paying for it, I got 2 vouchers in the mail. I tried to book another flight using the vouchers, but was told that one of them was not valid. I spent 1 hour on the phone holding for customer service and was told that the one voucher which came at the same time as the other one was the older one which they had cancelled and reissued. I felt at this point that Southwest owed me at the very least another voucher. But they were not willing to help me out for my troubles. I will not use Southwest again due to the poor customer service.
RouteDetroit to Atlanta