Southwest Airlines

"the service was excellent"

Not Verified | My girlfriend and I flew to Orlando for a weeks vacation. We decided to book with Southwest as they don’t charge to check bags. Everything was great. When we had our layover in San Antonio we didn’t even have to get off the plane. WiFi is available for $8 and the 2 vodka sodas I had were $7 each, great price considering most bars on the ground charge more money. Both flights to and from Orlando were on time and the service was excellent.
RouteLas Vegas to Orlando via San Antonio
Date FlownMay 2018

"not just a paycheck!"

Trip Verified | There are plenty of airline choices out there, but the past few times we have chosen Southwest because of the hospitality, great rates, and fabulous customer service. That was until today. We purchased 2 round trip tickets to go to a wedding. A couple days after booking our trip, we decided we wanted to stay a day longer, and that we would update our reservation. The website clearly stated that changing our flight would make the reservation non-refundable. It instructed that we should instead, cancel our reservation, then make a new reservation, in case anything happened and we needed to make another change. So, we cancelled the initial reservation, and booked a new one. After a couple weeks, we hadn't seen the refund for our initial purchase. I called customer service and they informed me, that apparently I had purchased a non-refundable ticket initially, and wouldn't be refunded the $650 I paid. I advised them of what the website said, they acknowledged that my understanding of the instructions ws correct, but only for "refundable" tickets. Nowhere did it prompt me that I was cancelling a non-refundable ticket, and it wasn't clearly stated during my purchase that these were non-refundable. The only place it was made known to me was in the confirmation email and even then, it was in black font, it was in a pale gray font at the very bottom. The customer service agent advised it wasn't refundable and couldn't help me. She transferred me to her supervisor who again stuck by the non-refundable label. it wasn't as if I cancelled altogether. I bought another reservation for $50 more! But they felt the need to hide behind their "policy" and not take care of a customer, who in good faith, and by instruction of the website, did what they understood they were supposed to do. Instead of help me, the agent continued to reiterate that Southwest doesn't have many policies, but this was one and I was out of luck. I told her this was unacceptable and that the right thing to do would be to honor a refund as I was still purchasing a product, and got caught up in a technicality. She apologized "that I felt that way" and offered me a customer service number to call instead. Southwest advertises, and prides themselves on their excellent "customer service", but this is a pure exploitation of a technicality and not at all the way a customer should be treated. Even after admitting that the website tole me to cancel, they refused to be of any real assistance and expect me to pay $650 for absolutely nothing. If this is how they keep their "low fares", by exploiting fine print and taking advantage of customers, I want no part of them. This may be the last time I fly Southwest. Damn shame, because they used to be the premier customer service experience, but true colors are showing. You may pay more at other airlines, but at least they might treat you like a customer and not just a paycheck!
RoutePhoenix, AZ to Columbus, OH via 1005 S Sabino Dr

"rude and cranky"

Trip Verified | Salt lake city to Houston via Oakland. All three flight attendants were rude and cranky. They didn't smile, were annoyed when you asked a question. Made the flight more uncomfortable than it already was.
RouteSalt lake city to Houston via Oakland

"worst experience ever"

Trip Verified | Sacramento to Los Angeles. The worst experience ever with this airline! Other than being delayed, they change the time of flight when delayed but they don’t care that people change plans based on that. They end up flying whenever works for them without re updating! I have had a name change and had to update my account but not possible to do on the site or app. I called the customer service and was told I had to call headquarters. I called and left voicemail but they call back when it’s convenient for them and if you’re in the middle of work, that’s it! You’ve lost your chance! I went to the agent at airport and she said she Couldn’t change the account and that I have to email the headquarters. I emailed the headquarters a week ago and nothing got done about it. I ended up having to be patted down every time at the airport and due to that I get late. I fly lax-Sacramento every week and today as I was running after having been patted down to make it to my gate they called my name for the first time I heard my name being announced and while the guy was seeing me run he gave order to close doors. couldn’t change the account and that I have to email the headquarters. I emailed the headquarters a week ago and nothing was done about it. Today as I was running after being patted down to make it to my gate they called my name for the first time I heard my name being announced and while I was looking at guy at gate in disbelief and begging him to let me go in but of course he refused. Stay away from this airline if possible. They try to make up for their deficiencies by telling their stupid jokes. In reality, rude and robotic service.
RouteSacramento to Los Angeles

"Very professional"

Not Verified | Phoenix to Reno. Very professional, would recommend! I was able to change my flight information days before with no hassle. Kind and caring staff took care of my concerns. The flight was a bit delayed but that is not something that is controlled by the airline.
RoutePhoenix to Reno
Date FlownJune 2018

"crew was extremely nice"

Trip Verified | Was on the plane with 3 kids (1 year old, 3 year old, 8 year old) and had to detour to Austin due to storms in Houston. Landed and deboarded in Austin, then reboarded and sat in the heat only to be told we had to deboard again due to having to change flight crew because a pilot timed out. Had to wait for an hour for the new crew to arrive. We were supposed to land in Houston at 1:20pm, we landed in Houston at 7:40pm. The crew was extremely nice the whole time and then this morning I received an apology email and a $100 voucher for each of us. And did not even complain once. Thank you southwest!
RouteOrlando to Houston
Date FlownJune 2018

"worst airline I’ve ever flown"

Trip Verified | Cleveland to Tampa via Dallas Ft Worth. We were supposed to leave Cleveland at 5:35, we didn’t leave until 7:05. We had a connecting flight in Atlanta to go to Tampa. We were assured several times that we would make our connecting fights. When we were about halfway to Atlanta, we were told we would be arriving at 8:30 and that flights were being held, due to the fact that our flight was a connection for the majority of the passengers. When we landed, we discovered that none of the flights were held. We went to customer service and they booked us on the first flight the next morning. They didn’t offer any apologies, were very unsympathetic, and rude. They refused to comp a hotel, so I ended up staying at the airport with my 2 year old daughter, her first flight. Her car seat was checked as baggage, so I couldn’t leave the airport if I wanted too. This is the worst airline I’ve ever flown. I will never fly this airline again, I don’t recommend them for anyone else either.
RouteCleveland to Tampa via Dallas Ft Worth

"Not impressed at all"

Trip Verified | Portland to Nashville via Baltimore. I am disappointed in this airline and never going to fly with them again. In the past few years that I’ve flown with Southwest, 2/3 of my flights have been delayed. Today, they delayed my flight so much that I can not make my connecting flight. The placed me on one of the latest flights to get to my final destination. Instead of a four hour travel time, I am now looking at 9+ hours. They couldn’t even place me on a different airline for an earlier flight. Not impressed at all.
RoutePortland to Nashville via Baltimore
Date FlownJune 2018

"delay, delay and cancellations"

Trip Verified | Flew Dallas to Los Angeles. I never thought I would write a review about airlines because delays and cancellations are part of the flying experience and are out of control by the airlines sometimes. However. I am so fed up about Southwest’s delay, delay and cancellations. Southwest are not my preferred airline because of the airport location, but I do fly Southwest when I am traveling for business. I am almost sure there is at least a delay on every trip. Today, I’m finally sick and tired of it after a cancellation followed by four delays. I am never flying Southwest after this trip!
RouteDallas to Los Angeles

"I’m very disappointed"

Trip Verified | Oakland to Orange County. 10 out of the 12 flights I had with Southwest Airlines in the past 5 months were delayed. I’m very disappointed since a chunk of my time goes to waste. I always fly out from Oakland to either SNA, Long Beach, or San Diego. I’ve been a loyal customer for 4.5 years because of its customer service experience and the 2 bags fly free on-going promotion. I don’t know how much longer I can give Southwest a “second chance”
RouteOakland to Orange County