Southwest Airlines

"attendants were rude"

Trip Verified | From the moment we got on the plane the flight attendants were rude to the customers. There is a way you can professionally communicate to your customers rather than being hateful to them. Then I had to use the ladies room in flight and the lady was rude to me directly and in front of the rest of the flight which I found very embarrassing. We fly Southwest all the time but this experience definitely tainted my view of Southwest and I will look elsewhere from here on out.
RouteHouston Hobby to Denver

"misrepresented their values"

Not Verified | La Guardia to Atlanta. Southwest promotes that you can receive travel funds for any canceled tickets. However, they make every effort to make it difficult for you to access your own money. These travel funds are not placed and visible on your account. The expiration information is unclear. Once it expires, if you are willing to hassle them they pay you the "courtesy" of charging you a $100 to access your remaining credit. I called and spoke with over 4 representatives over multiple days and was given misinformation. They will not help you with this process but require that you call back after it has expired. It then takes 4-6 weeks to process this request until you are able to access the remaining small fraction of your own money. I will utilize my remaining points and then I will not fly Southwest again. This has completely changed my impression of Southwest. I used to view them as a reasonable company with fair practices. I feel that they misrepresented their values. Delta has harsher return policies but I now appreciate them for their transparency.
RouteLa Guardia to Atlanta
Date FlownJune 2018

"Flights are always late"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Oakland. Flights are always late. I got to the airport 4 hours early because of a change in my business plans. They would not allow me on an earlier flight even though they announced at the gate there were 20 available seats. Southwest wanted to charge me $169 to change then my flight was late which they did not announce until it was boarding time. That is why as a business traveler my loyalty is to American. They accommodate a change if they can. 8 our of my past 10 flights with Southwest have been late.
RouteLas Vegas to Oakland

"great cabin service"

Trip Verified | On 7/24/18 my wife and four children were flying from West Palm Beach to Boston via Atlanta on a 8PM flight. We had just concluded a 1 week vacation. My youngest son whose is 12-years old had not been feeling well prior to boarding the flight, probably from eating too much all week/day long. Well we boarded flight 1204 and after a brief delay were air bound. Needless to say, the plane ride was not agreeing with my son, and he soon became ill. Luckily, he managed to get everything into the bags provided in the seat backs. I flagged down one of the cabin attendants and he immediately came over. This man could not have been any nicer, he made light of an embarrassing situation for my son and set him right at ease. Soon the other male attendant came over and also jumped to help. I can't say enough good things about these two guys, they were great! The one attendant in particular assigned to the rear of the plane must have came back and checked on my son at least half a dozen times, truly a nice gesture and a nicer guy! I give this airline serious props for employing caring individuals like these two men, great cabin service.
RouteWest Palm Beach to Boston via Atlanta
Date FlownJuly 2018

"leaving your customers stranded"

Trip Verified | Chicago Midway to Newark. It is irritating when you travel with an airline 5 times and a flight gets canceled every. Single. I can understand the cancellations due to the weather. I can also understand the cancelations due to "scheduled maintenance " (badly scheduled if the plane was supposed to be flying though.) What I don't understand is how thinking that leaving your customers stranded overnight at the airport is ok. It is not. Allowing the customers to reschedule "for free" for a flight the airline canceled should not even be a question much less something that gets thrown in your face. No attempt or offer was made for a hotel or another place to spend the night. No offer or attempt was made to get us back into the same boarding position we had prior to our flight being canceled due to "scheduled maintenance " Delays are irritating but at least you get where you want to. Unscheduled cancelations are not ok. Being forced to stay in the bagging area overnight because security shuts down the terminals overnight, is not ok.
RouteChicago Midway to Newark

"poor business practice"

Trip Verified | Deceptive and misrepresenting their low fares. Last minute cancellation of my original carrier, Delta, made it necessary to make an alternative flight plan. Southwest ticketing agent informed me that the flight was sold out of lower fares and only the higher fares were available. The 1 way ticket price from Indianapolis to Orlando was $414.98. Traveling with my son required 2 tickets, $829.96. Boarding the plane it was empty, hence we were lied to reqarding the availability of lower fares. We were simply gouged with the higher fare because of urgent circumstances. Called the corporate headquarters of Southwest and they gave me the story that low fares are not available for disparate last minute travelers. The attendant on the flight stated that lower fares were available for this flight as it is low demand flight. This simply is a poor business practice for an airline that markets low fares and has the deceptive image of a friendly and customer service oriented. In the future when I fly again I will try to avoid this airline.
RouteIndianapolis to Orlando

"Worst flight experience"

Trip Verified | Detroit to New York. Worst flight experience to date. I am currently stranded in Chicago with a flight to NYC from Detroit. Our first flight was delayed 4 hours and then cancelled. I got rebooked on a later flight which has now been delayed for the 3rd time. I called customer service only to be told by the supervisor that there's nothing they can do. If you want to be stuck in an airport all day with no compensation, go to Southwest. If you actually want a quality flight, avoid this airline at all costs.
RouteDetroit to New York
Date FlownAugust 2018

"not travel Southwest in future"

Not Verified | Providence to Ft Lauderdale. You check in early to get a good boarding group number (B2-4), when you get on the plane one attendant is reserving a row for someone whose other family members are at the end of the boarding line, so now the 3 people you’re traveling with can’t be seated together and have to be separated when it’s first come first serve based on boarding number. They don’t assign seats but then they reserve seats? Umm not okay and completely inappropriate. This is not the first time they have reserved seats or a row for people who checked in late and are in the end of the boarding line. I gave them a second chance and same result, so I can verify I will not travel Southwest in the future. They can keep their 1st bag free policy I rather have assigned seating and sit with who I came with!
RouteProvidence to Ft Lauderdale
Date FlownAugust 2018

"avoid them at all costs"

Trip Verified | Southwest Airlines cancelled our flight and could not get us on another for over 24 hours leaving us stranded in New York. We had no place to stay and the cheapest room we could find was over $600. Southwest said it was not their responsibility and gave us $100 vouchers to fly with them again as compensation. I am upset and disappointed at SWA’s lack of responsibility and would avoid them at all costs. They do not care about their passengers, even when it was their issue that cancels your flight.
RouteLaGuardia to Midway

"cancelled our flight"

Trip Verified | Dallas to Philadelphia. Horrible, we had a direct flight they cancelled our flight last minute gave us a connecting flight, this is the fourth time they did this to us. Seems to me [and other passengers] they sell on a direct flight and cancel the last minute. Other people we knew traveled on other airlines with direct flights they had no problems. So Southwest can not use the weather as their typical excuse
RouteDallas to Philadelphia