Southwest Airlines

"the worst flight experience"

Trip Verified | Baltimore to Panama City beach. This has been the worst flight experience with southwest and will not book again. First, after 2 months of having a flight booked they changed the schedule which had an arrival difference of 6 hrs and took over 2 hrs on the phone to have something done. Next, we arrive on time for our flight and are told the flight is delayed because there are no flight attendants available for our flight. This airline is a joke. Obviously customer service is there last priority and they act like they are doing you a favor. Thanks for the wasted vacation day southwest. You sure know how to waste someone’s time at our own expense.
RouteBaltimore to Panama City beach
Date FlownJuly 2018

" lack of customer service"

Not Verified | This will be the last time I fly with Southwest. The lack of customer service I experienced was unbelievable. They cancelled our flight and the next available flight was 10 hrs later. The woman who rescheduled our flight didnt mention that our bags had been pulled and we would need to collect them at the baggage claim. Also, when i asked about meal vouchers, they said they only give those out for mechanical issues not weather related. Southwest makes the customer feel solely responsible for fixing their idiotic mistakes. How about you take some responsibility and make the consumer feel valued and appreciated. Apparently my time isn't worth a knowledgeable employee or 1 free meal.
RouteOrlando to Baltimore
Date FlownJuly 2018

"no explanation from Southwest"

Trip Verified | Flew from BWI to DAL via HOU and then DAL to BWI. My first time flying on Southwest definitely had some odd occurrences. Flying to DAL from BWI was uneventful, but for some reason before we headed to the airport I received an email from the airline saying that our flight was late. But at the airport the check in staff said that the flight was on time. The problem came on our return flight. our flight from DAL to BWI was supposed to depart at 5:50 pm CST, but I received notification that the flight was going to be delayed by 90 minutes. At the airport the delay became two hours and then two and a half hours! There was no explanation from Southwest of why this was the case as the weather in Dallas was fine. By the time we finally took off from Dallas our flight was delayed for three hours with no explanation from Southwest why this was the case nor an apology from the crew. According to my Flightradar 24 app I was able to determine that the plane started from Phoenix, then flew to Reno, and then flew to Dallas and was delayed by two hours from the beginning. At least Southwest could've brought out a spare plane for the flight to Baltimore if they knew the airplane was behind schedule. I sent a complaint via Twitter and did receive a voucher from Southwest, but at least they should've provided more information with regards to the status of the plane.
RouteBaltimore to Dallas via Houston
Date FlownJuly 2018

"open seating is a joke"

Trip Verified | Denver to Las Vegas. This is the absolute worst airline I’ve ever given business to. Open seating is a joke unless you’re traveling alone, their app is completely worthless since you still have to go to a desktop site or kiosk at the airport, and if you are more than a 30” waist size you will be touching the other people in your row, who thanks to open seating are not your spouse/children if you aren’t in boarding group A. I understand now why the tickets were cheaper than the other airlines, it seems likely they are starving for business since I can’t imagine ever booking with Southwest again.
RouteDenver to Las Vegas
Date FlownJuly 2018

"crew was happy to be at work"

Not Verified | Portland to Florida Beaches via Baltimore. Our daughter was flying home on her birthday. As a preteen this was not her preferred date of travel but it was the best date for our family. The flight attendants not only helped make her birthday special by singing to her, but they created a special birthday crown, had the cabin turn on their call buttons lights as candles and invited the entire plane in singing happy birthday. The crew was happy to be at work even though this was their last flight after a long day.
RoutePortland to Florida Beaches via Baltimore

"Rude customer service"

Not Verified | Reno to Philadelphia via Chicago. Our flight was delayed in Reno by nearly 2 hours because of weather. Yes you cannot help that, but Southwest employees ensured us that our connecting flight in Chicago would hold for us and the rest of the people making this connection. Once we arrived in Chicago we found out the flight did not wait and the next flight was in the morning and were told our checked baggage would be there in the morning as well. After roaming the airport all night because we weren’t provided a hotel because it was weather related the time came to finally board our plane. Once I arrived in Philly I found out my baggage is missing. Rude customer service at the baggage claim by southwest. I also called Southwest baggage claims to see if they were able to track my bags. I was told that was coming in the future - why are there bar codes on our luggage if they do not track it? Why do we put our email and phone number on our bags if they don’t call you to tell you where your things are located? Straight trash. I will never fly Southwest Airlines again nor will I recommend them to anyone. Rude customer service that lies to you and doesn’t care about your stuff.
RouteReno to Philadelphia via Chicago
Date FlownJuly 2018

"never book another SW flight"

Trip Verified | You know this by far is the worst airline, yes you get 2 bags free but you have to wait for all the people that take advantage of the preboarding with 1 white pass who bring an additional 10 people. You pay extra for early bird check in still have to wait - what's the point. My flight had a 1025 pm take off we didnt leave till midnight. I will never book another SW flight. No Sorry for the inconvenience. Just Sad
RouteChicago to Tampa
Date FlownJuly 2018

" seats are ridiculously close"

Trip Verified | Providence to Orlando. Waited hour and a half before finally taxiing to take off. Then, only after we were in the air for 30 mind, they announced they forgot to mention earlier that the wifi wasn't working. The seats are ridiculously close to one another, so much so, that the tray pressed against the average adult's stomach when in the lowered position. The aisle is so narrow, even our skinny six year old daughter has difficulty walking down it facing forward. You have to shuffle sideways the entire length of the aisle. Between the aisle size and lack of space between seats, they really manage to cream as many people onboard as possible. In the bathroom, you have to hold the toilet seat in the up position, otherwise it falls down. Which makes it difficult to use the bathroom, steady yourself, and hold the seat up. The faucet of the sink sprays out so hard, it splashes onto you. Overall, it was the second worst flight I've ever been on, (and I can say with confidence that I've flown at least a hundred times on my lifetime). The only worse flight I've been on was also a Southwest flight. Between their standard policies of poor service, unassigned seats, and parts flying off their aircraft; and all of the aforementioned problems, I can't discourage using Southwest strongly enough.
RouteProvidence to Orlando

"my favorite airline"

Not Verified | I flew Southwest from Detroit to Atlanta and later Atlanta to Houston. They were fast and excellent flights. Our Atlanta to Houston flight was very bumpy and had some of the worst turbulence I've ever experienced, but that isn't the pilot's fault. The flight attendants were very nice and Southwest offers free drinks and snacks as well as a free live TV system through their WiFi page. My only complaints are their comfort and their baggage handling. My light pink suitcase came back with one side nearly black, and when I flew American a few years to Phoenix my bag was not that ruined and my Phoenix flight was a shorter trip. I haven't flown any airline besides Southwest in the last 5 years and for domestic flights I don't plan any other airline to take their spot as my favorite airline.
RouteDetroit to Houston via Atlanta
Date FlownJune 2018

"you don't get a kudos from me"

Not Verified | I fly to and from Chicago and Phoenix Az a lot since we purchased a retirement home in AZ. My mother is 85 years old and I go back and forth every month to help her with Doc appts etc, as she does not drive. I had book a roundtrip ticket to fly to Chicago for May 23, 2018 and a return flight back to Phoenix on June 16, 2018. As the time got closer my husband decided to drive to Chicago so we could stay for the summer. We have two dogs so that is why he wanted to drive. We left Phoenix on May 19th it's a 3 day drive. While on our drive I didn't want to forget to cancel the flight so I decided to do it on my cell phone. Well anyone who has a cell phone knows that when you are traveling signal is not the greatest and in some areas not at all. I tried multiple to cancel my flight on my phone but I guess due to the signal it didn't go thru. I decided to screen shot my attempt at cancelling and would try again once I was at my destination on a landline. Well I forgot. I made a mistake. While here in Illinois on the 23rd of May I received an email from Southwest stating I was a no show for my flight. I immediately got on the phone trying to explain my situation to no avail. I was told because I didn't cancel my flight It cancelled the entire reservation, which is totally not fair. I agree that they didn't have to refund my flight to Chicago, but I also lost money for the flight for June. I am a regular customer I fly Southwest a lot since 2015. I only use Southwest, I sit there and read in the magazine all these great stories, this time my story is not so great. I have tried everything possible to get this rectified and nothing. I am totally disappointed in this airline. If I could tell the world my story I would, but my advice is never book a roundtrip ticket and never try to do anything on a cell phone while traveling thru the mountains. As for forgetting to do it later, It was a mistake on my part I am human. Sorry Southwest you don't get a kudos from me!
RouteChicago to Phoenix