Southwest Airlines

"Save an entire row or more"

Trip Verified | New Orleans to Dallas. Just found out today, it’s okay to save seats On Southwest Airlines. No worries about your low boarding pass, just get one person to check in and get an A pass, and then go save seats for everyone! Save an entire row or more it’s okay, just know the flight attendant will back you up. No worries about others (even if they paid for Early Bird Checkin), you can now save seats on Southwest.
RouteNew Orleans to Dallas
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"Customer service is outstanding"

Trip Verified | Flew Southwest Airlines from Denver to Portland. Customer service is outstanding. I had to change my flight from last night to this morning. I spent 6 min. on the phone and spent $0 for changing. They are so good to work with. Flight experience was great, the staff very helpful! Other airlines do not even compare.
RouteDenver to Portland
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"I may be heading back to Delta"

Trip Verified | Las Vegas to Atlanta. This trip was my first Southwest experience. Flying to Las Vegas was great, staff was friendly, plane was clean, got a great position (A30) to board and select a seat. I paid the additional fee for early check in both ways, and having booked my trip 3 months in advance, I was pleased with my position on the way and expected the same going home. Unfortunately, when it was time to check in for my flight home, I found my position was completely unsatisfactory, B22. I called Southwest to see if there was an error and was told that sometimes it just falls out that way. My issue is that if Southwest is going to take my money for early check in, there should be a guarantee for zone A boarding, OR give me an alert so I know what I’m paying for if I choose to continue. Surely if their system can assign boarding positions as flights are booked, it can alert customers when zone A is full, right? Sad to say I may be heading back to Delta after this. Drink carts and assigned seats may be worth the money after all.
RouteLas Vegas to Atlanta
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"experience has been hard and horrible"

Trip Verified | I moved from Chicago to Las Vegas. They lost two of my luggage that was filled to capacity with all of my clothes.Luckily everything of my Children’s made it to Las Vegas. Now I have flown with Southwest plenty of times, but I never traveled with majority of my belongings. Any other time I had no problems but this moving experience has been hard and horrible so far thanks to Southwest Airlines.
RouteChicago to Las Vegas
Date FlownJanuary 2018

extra $150 round trip just to bring my bike"

Trip Verified | Portland to San Francisco. The people are friendly. However, they charge for bikes. I had my bike exactly 64” which is under most airlines’ requirement of under 65”. Southwest has a max of 62”. I will not be flying this airline anymore, because it is impossible to get a bike under these dimensions unless its a folding bike. If you ride bikes seriously, take Alaska. They allow one bike FREE and have reasonable maximum dimensions I could even use a hard case. As it is, I will be paying an extra $150 round trip just to bring my bike. Ridiculous.
RoutePortland to San Francisco
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"I left my coat on the plane"

Trip Verified | Last week I flew from San Jose to Phoenix on a Southwest flight at 3:45 in the afternoon. When we got off the plane in Las Vegas I left my coat on the plane. We immediately tried to call to find out what we needed to do and figured we should probably go to the baggage claim area where the Southwest office was. We went there and of course there was no coat. We filled all the information out and have heard nothing. It's a shame that someone from Southwest would take my coat. It didn't make it a few hundred yards from the plane to the baggage claim office where the lost-and-found was. Lots of losers in this world.
RouteSan Jose to Phoenix
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"flights are held for all connecting flights"

Trip Verified | Flew Southwest Airlines from Chicago to Hartford. Return flights are held for all connecting flights as a standard practice! This is my 5th time taking the last flight out from Chicago where they have delayed my flight so all connections coming in can make theirs. The rule here is dont plan on leaving when you expect to because you won’t. You will only leave when every passenger is accounted for - however many hours that takes! Last time I had to wait 3 hours! I paid to leave at 9pm not some arbritrary time that Southwest decides at its convenience. I will never fly out of Midway again.
RouteChicago to Hartford
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"she refused and was extremely rude"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Puerto Rico. Traveling with my family, wife son (9) daughter (13) went to sit in the exit row because my kids wanted to sit back themselves in the row behind us (not an exit row and my kids fly several time a year by themselves). We paid for early bird check in so we could choose our seat, and we done this several times before never being questioned. We were not allowed this because the flight attendant made a judgement call that in an emergency my wife and I would be conflicted and help our kids before performing our duty of opening the exit door. Even after explaining what the situation was, she refused and was extremely rude. Definitely not what I have come to expect from Southwest. I love having my judgement questioned by a complete stranger. We also checked their exit row policy and no where does it say anything about this.
RouteOrlando to Puerto Rico

"SWA's torture seating"

Trip Verified | Phoenix to Atlanta. This was the first time for me, luckily, to fly on one of the planes with the "upgraded" seats. Never again. In fact, I may never fly SWA again unless I absolutely have to. These new "seats" have pencil-thin "arm rests", without padding, meant to discourgage people from using them - and that design works: if you don't mind elbowing your neighbor, you'll get bruised from the "arm rest". The shoulder / arm area is thinner than normal, and unlike the older seat design, even very thin people, such as myself and the passenger on my one side, will be bashing elbows and rubbing legs when constantly shifting positions to try and get away from the constant pain of the seats. See, the seats have no padding. NONE. They seem to be made out of cardboard. There is not just no lumbar support or seat padding: it's shaped oddly the opposite that seating for humans dictates: the lumbar region of the seat goes back rather than forward toward your back, and the seat curves up at the part right under your upper-upper thigh (the seats are also the shortest depth of all seats). While you are hunching your shoulders forward to avoid being shoulder to shoulder with strangers, you have to bring your elbows in front of your chest and hold them there, while your lumbar region is being pushed into an outward curve by the back of the torture seat and your legs have circulation being cut off by the upward curve of the seat edge. After 30 years of flying only SWA for all domestic flights - 8+ in the past 8 months - I will not be flying with them again unless absolutely necessary. This flight was yesterday, and I am experiencing moderate neck, back, and leg pain as a direct result of SWA's torture seating.
RoutePhoenix to Atlanta
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"There is no customer service"

Trip Verified | Sacramento to Phoenix. So disappointed and won’t fly Southwest Airlines again! Customer service in Dallas is horrible. Actually that’s a contradiction. There is no customer service. Just beware, if you have a scheduling or booking problem, Southwest Airlines obviously treats customers as though customer is always wrong, they are always right and extremely inflexible. I have been disappointed with Southwest Airlines experiences in the past and flown them again, my bad. Never again. Why do the cattle call and rush to seats - I’ll travel a better airline with much better service.
RouteSacramento to Phoenix