Ryanair

Review by (United States) 6th July 2015

When we arrived (4 passengers) and waited 40 minutes to check bags, we were told that we only arranged for two bags and would have to pay for two bags. But because agent could not take payment, we needed to go to customer service to pay. She filled out a form and told us to pay and return to front of line and they would held the plane. We still had over 1.5 hours. So, we waited in line at customer service for almost an hour and was told that we owed them £20 for 2 Kilos. I informed her that it was 2 bags not 2 kilos. so, we were sent back to the baggage line to get the correct form. We went to front of line as instructed and crowd was unhappy. Our agent had left. But, we got the correct form and returned to front of customer service line, crowd was unhappy, and was told that it would be £400, that is almost $800 US dollars for 2 bags. We tried to sort that out but to no avail. We were told to read the small print over and over. So, I agreed to pay and was told it was too late, that the flight was closed. So, we had to buy new tickets on another airline at another airport. They sell you tickets at a low price and then through small print charge you for seat, printing boarding passes, extra baggage etc.
RouteLondon to Lourdes

Review by (United States) 6th July 2015

Our recent experience with Ryanair was unsatisfactory thus we cannot recommend this airline to anyone. We chose Ryanair for its low fares. The numerous fees exceeded the original cost of our tickets. While some fees are warranted, Ryanair is the only airline I have flown that charges fees to print out boarding passes. Their excess baggage weight fees are higher as well. Even more troubling is the disorganized check in and bag drop-off process and unacceptable customer service. We had to stand in one long line to drop off checked bags, another line to pay extra fees and return to the 1st line to complete the bag drop process. During this ordeal, we were met with staff who were insolent (berating us in French) and clearly had no allegiance to Ryanair (giving confusing directions). Ryanair has a lot to learn about efficiency and customer service if it wants to be the Southwest Airlines of Europe. Until then, we will fly other airlines, even if the fares are higher.
RouteBrussels to Dublin

Review by (United Kingdom) 4th July 2015

I flew out to ibiza with my husband and 2 small children for a family holiday and our flight out was terrible. I understand that a lot of people go to Ibiza to party but so do a lot travel for family holidays - it was like a party plane. There was no control of the travellers who congregated in the aisles, sat 4 to a row (3 seats) sat on arm rests, music played loudly in the row in front of us (and not good music at that). The trolley of drinks and snacks was pointless on both the flight there and back as after a few rows there was nothing left (we were in row 14) the seatbelt light was put on half way through our flight out there when there was no turbulence - I believe this was to try and seat people but when my husband attempted to take my 5 year old daughter to the toilet (whilst others were still stood I have to add) a member of staff was slightly rude and told us she couldn't go and had to sit down. Shortly after this the light was turned off. I have flown with Ryanair before and not had this problem but I would definitely consider not flying them with my children.
RouteEast Midlands to Ibiza

Review by (United Kingdom) 4th July 2015

My daughters and I were due to fly to Morocco on Sunday morning at 6am. On Saturday at midnight we realised that one ticket had the married name but passport was in maiden name. We got to airport and were first in queue for customer services, saw staff who after a bit of persuasion changed the ticket name free of charge! We cannot thank her enough for doing this and enabling us all to have the best family celebration ever. Again thank you.
RouteStansted to Morocco

Review by (United Kingdom) 3rd July 2015

Flying back from Malta to Bristol we had to check in 2 hrs before flight to print boarding passes. Explained we were not able to get online. Got to airport with time to spare, asked for assistance, Maltese staff very helpful and they tried for 30 min to get online. When they finally got on to site to check us in we were 10 min late. We got to the Ryanair desk where basically if we didn't pay 45 euros each we could not fly. Hence we paid 90 euros to print two shabby bits of paper, got to check in desk, told we had to sit separately as there were no seats left as we checked in late? Still nearly 2 hrs before flight? Got onboard and my husband had 3 seats to himself and I was 2 rows in front. 90 euros because we were 10 min late through no fault of ours.
RouteBristol to Malta

Review by (Canada) 3rd July 2015

We flew a one-way flight from London Gatwick to Cork in late May. We'd never been to London Gatwick airport, but it was a fairly pleasant experience. It was odd that the airport did not announce departure gate numbers until an hour beforehand, but it wasn't a big deal. I personally enjoyed doing some shopping and getting a bit to eat before heading to the gate. The boarding was fairly effortless, although Ryanair did not call us by seat number. This resulted in a big bulge of customers at the start of boarding, so we just sat back down and waited. The flight was on-time, We had a pleasant, short flight to Cork. Cork Airport was beautiful and it didn't look like there were many flights arriving that time - our visit through customs was brief and very friendly. It was a pleasant trip and a very inexpensive one too. Our family will definitely fly with Ryanair again!
RouteLondon Gatwick to Cork

Review by (United States) 29th June 2015

Cheap but problem on that route. Apparently Ryanair is having a labor dispute with it's baggage handlers at MAD airport. Consequently no baggage was carried on that route and I was not informed until 2 days before the flight. I was already in Europe and my bag was too large to fit in an overhead luggage compartment. I had to privately ship my bag to MAD at a much greater cost and received only the baggage charge refund. Ryanair is not a customer friendly airline. If anything goes wrong you are left to your own devices to find a solution.
RouteSantiago to Madrid

Review by (United Kingdom) 29th June 2015

Not as good as other airlines, but I guess you get what you pay for. You don't expect much from a flight with low prices. Staff seem disinterested and lack enthusiasm for their job. Inflight food is extortionate and not worth the money. Beware that unless you are in the first half of passengers at the gate then you are unlikely to be able to take your cabin baggage onboard with you and will have to put it in the hold.
RouteLiverpool to Dublin

Review by (United Kingdom) 29th June 2015

Experience was poor. We booked with Ryanair after a long time of not using them after previous bad experiences but saw the new website and various other newly replaced items and services that Ryanair use and bought tickets for return flights to Tenerife. However easier the prepayment section of the booking experience and website may be we found that once you had played the airline used all sorts of dirty tricks such as making you pay for allocated seating if you wanted to make sure your party was sitting together and charging for all sorts of other service that would be expected to be provided freely. This made the flights no cheaper than the ones that other airlines offered. The cabin - despite pictures on the internet - looked gloomy, old fashioned and dirty. Onboard food as overpriced and service was slow. The cabin crew were constantly pushing you to buy products as they are partially payed on commission. Also the main reason Ryanair is usually on time is that unlike other airlines they add an additional 10 minutes onto the actual estimated flight time.
RouteLeeds Bradford to Tenerife

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th June 2015

Created my own "connection" via Dublin to get from Glasgow to Bremen. Excellent value and only travelled with cabin baggage. Due to the time of year I assumed the flights would be busy so asked at the Bag Drop desks at both Glasgow and Dublin if they could accept by bag into the hold, which they did free of charge and with no fuss. GLA-DUB flight was slightly late due to the aircraft arriving late into Glasgow, but the next sector was on time, arriving 10 minutes early. Both flights typical Ryanair, the service being consistent. Crew on the DUB-BRE sector had more time to chat and appeared efficient. Bags arrived on time at each airport and pre-booked seats worked well. I like the calmer boarding atmosphere that allocated seating brings.
RouteGLA to BRE via DUB