Ryanair

"Ryanair behaved so unprofessionally"

(Russian Federation)

Verified Review | My two friends and I were very unlucky to fly with Ryanair during the mass strike in France this October. We were supposed to fly from Alicante to Kaunas on the 10th of October, but when we arrived to the airport it appeared that our flight was delayed. We waited for ages, then they put us to the plane, where we waited further. Then they returned us back to the airport and said that our flight was canceled due to the strike in France. Not delayed but canceled! Now we only had the option of getting back our money (which was ridiculous, since with this little money we could not possibly buy a flight with another company) or waiting while Ryanair offers us something else. We chose the last variant since we are pensioners and don't have spare money, and we especially chose Ryanair because they offer the lowest prices. We stood in the biggest queue for the whole night! Thank goodness there were 3 of us and we could substitute one another. Throughout the night Ryanair never offered us even a bottle of water! When it was finally our turn to apply for a change of flight, Ryanair offered us a flight for the 18th October! They were only were willing to pay for one night's stay for us (and this chance had already passed since that was the night we spent in the queue). How we were supposed to live until the 18th October in a foreign country apparently did not concern them. Since we needed to go to Kaunas (Lithuania) we finally managed to board a plane going to Poznan (Poland) which was the closest destination to Kaunas and flew with it. I must say that Ryanair behaved so unprofessionally through the whole situation. Not to offer water to the passengers was the last drop really. I doubt I will ever use this low-cost company again, thank goodness there are other options these days.
RouteAlicante to Kaunas
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Ryanair have really let me down"

Verified Review | Stansted to Hamburg. I booked a flight with Ryanair to go see my girlfriend, within 10 seconds of paying for my flight I realised I booked the wrong date. At this point I had just paid £75 for a flight I didn't need, thinking I might be able to change flights, I called Ryanair and asked for my flight to be changed. I called and spoke to a lovely girl and great at customer handling, I asked if she could change my flight so that I could fly the weekend before the week I booked. She looked at the flights and said as I'm in the 24 hour period I wont be charged, Great, she did say that the flights I booked totalled £66 so I would be losing out on £9, a bit annoying but not end of the world. How wrong was I, apparently Ryanair have a policy that if you need to re-book the flight, you will get charged or not is not done on the total cost of the flights, but on the individual costings of each flight and compared with the flight you originally booked. So I looked at the flights and yes my flight there was in fact more expensive than the flight there for thew following weekend, then I look at the flight back and the new flight back is £25 more expensive, so I now not only lost £10 on the total cost change going from my original flight to the new flight I have now lost another £25 because I want to change the flight. So Ryanair have now got an extra £30 out of my 10 second mishap, one mistake I shall never make again, I will never fly with Ryanair again. Ryanair are stingy when it comes to releasing cash, they have changed flight times for 3+ flight of mine in the past. Very disappointing, I never write reviews but I had to make an exception, as Ryanair have really let me down.
RouteStansted to Hamburg

"obviously don't care"

Verified Review | I recently flew Stansted to Dublin, and shortly due to fly from Dublin to Venice. I hate Ryanair. They completely avoided my repeated attempts to contact them for being overcharged and then an agent simply hung up on me while discussing the issue. They obviously don't care. And it is extremely difficult to get a hold of them by any means. Only plus side (so far), is the flight attendants were agreeable people. I think I'd rather pay more and know I'll be treated properly.
RouteStansted to Dublin

"Great value for money"

Verified Review | Barcelona to Rome. Flew with Ryanair twice. Once from England to Spain and then from Spain to Italy. I was a bit worried knowing they are a no frills budget airline. Both flights were only two hours and very comfortable. Staff were friendly. Great value for money. I would fly with them again.
RouteBarcelona to Rome

"Ryanair service is bad"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Glasgow to Sofia. My flight was delayed for 3hrs, I was stuck at the airport and waited. By the time I got to my destination, Sofia it was past midnight. Metro has stopped running, the only way to get into the city centre was via taxi. Since I’m a budget traveler, I didn’t want to waste money on the taxi, so I decided to sleep at the airport and wasted the money for the night of hostel I booked. A day or 2 after, I got an email about flight delays, and only just found out that there was an EU law that any flight delays for 3 hrs and more, the customer is entitled to a claim. I immediately submitted the claim. About a week later, Ryanair rejected my claim, saying my delay was under 3 hrs! Well, the flight was delayed 3 hrs exactly, we didn’t board until 3 hrs later, but it could have landed less than 3 hrs later, which I wouldn’t know, because I didn’t check the exact time I landed, it could be about 2hr 50min later than expected in Sofia. Ryanair also said, any flights that are delayed more than 1.5hr, customers are entitled to claim back expenses during the wait at the airport, providing receipts are provided. At the same time, they closed my case. I took this as a complaint, I asked for the exact time it landed in Sofia; asked for the reason of the delay; explained due to the delay, I lost a night at the hostel, and had to explain to them that I had to sleep at the airport; and why no one informed us there would be spending expenses for delays over 1.5hr? When I got a reply from Ryanair, the staff was not even answering any of my questions, he just repeated the same thing as the first person said, told me to submit any receipts. Also that the flight was delayed for less than 3 hrs, so I was entitled to the 3hr+ claim. I tried again, explaining this further, but once again, it was no use. They were not doing anything about it. I just wanted to warn anyone flying around Europe, if there’re any delays, make sure you check the time, and make a record of it if possible. You can always get it from the website afterwards and save a record for it, if you need any claims. If it’s delayed for less than 3 hrs, check the airline’s policy and see what you’re entitled to. Because obviously they would not just tell you the freebies you could be entitled to, to save their cost! Anyway, Ryanair service is bad, all the emails I had with them back and forth, they were terrible. A different staff reply to my email every time, just repeating the same things over and over again, and not answering to my questions. Up until now, I still have no idea what caused the delay, or the exact time the flight landed.
RouteGlasgow to Sofia
Date FlownJuly 2017

"treat customers like livestock"

Verified Review | Dublin to Stansted. I am not sure there are actually words within the English language to describe how terrible the service this airline provides. They treat their customers like livestock. In fact even livestock do not get treated like this. They cannot even tell the truth regarding what is the situation when things go wrong and have no compassion for human comforts and necessities. I honestly don't know how they continue to thrive in a world where we should be showing corporate responsibility.
RouteDublin to Stansted

"nothing good to say"

Verified Review | Manchester to Alicante, £110 per person return flights with hand luggage. If we wanted hold luggage, it was a further £90pp outbound and £80pp inbound. Outbound flight, my hand luggage had to be placed in the hold because apparently only 90 bags are allowed in the cabin. There was plenty space for many other bags in the cabin - strange procedure. Outbound flight staff were rude. Didn’t smile. Were not polite and too busy flirting and handing out their number to a group of lads rather than dealing with their other customers. Money making scam! We would have had to pay a further £27pp on both outbound and inbound to sit together. Inbound flight I was row 31 (very back) and my boyfriend was row 3 (front). What would happen if there was a potential emergency? All you would want is to be close to your loved ones or the people you have come away with. Instead I was sat in the middle and amongst a group of people who didn’t know each other. You get what you pay for. Yes, but I didn’t pay a total sum of £220 for terrible customer service, real life tinder or to be sat amongst strangers! Absolutely nothing good to say about Ryanair - will be avoiding this airline in the future.
RouteManchester to Alicante

"dumped at the airport"

Verified Review | We were told half an hour before we landed that we are goint to Trieste as fog was stopping planes to land in Zadar. After we were dumped at the airport no one from ryanair contaced us the passingers to let us know what was happening also no food or water was offered.
RouteStanstead to Zadar

"best to avoid Ryanair"

Verified Review | I booked the flights with Ryanair months ago on the basis of price and appropriate dates, only to have the goalposts moved later, so that I needed to pay for seats in order to ensure that my wife and I sat together. Later still, the cancellation farrago threw the whole holiday into doubt until Ryanair was forced to publish the lists of flights affected and we learned that our flights were still on. Then the day before we flew we received an email warning of a ban on carrying alcohol into the cabin and telling us what would happen to any alcohol bought in the "duty-free" shops. This did not affect us directly as we never buy any "duty-free" but we did wonder whether the flight was going to be full of hen and stag parties. By then, any faith we might have had in Ryanair was pretty well dispelled and we had no high hopes of the flights themselves. In the event everything went fairly smoothly. Boarding for the outward flight was handled efficiently by a single agent while the cabin crew were both pleasant and hardworking. The cabin manager, in particular, carried out her duties very responsibly (for example, not starting the safety demonstration until she was sure that she had the attention of practically everyone on board) but with good humour. There was some changing of seats before we departed, but we were only a few minutes late rolling back. We arrived early (cue the awful triumphal blast) after an uneventful journey. For the return flight, boarding was slightly delayed though it did not impact upon our actual departure time. The cabin crew again worked hard but it was difficult to hear any of their announcements, due to the speed with which they were made plus the conversation level within the cabin. The actual flight was equally uneventful and we arrived marginally early, so we had the trumpet blast again, which this time was greeted by ironic cheers. After all the various alarms beforehand, therefore, we made it there and back without any real bother, but my wife and I have still decided that we will do our best to avoid Ryanair in the future. How can you trust a company that changes the rules after you have booked, yet denies it has done so, or cancels flights on a whim and tries to wriggle out of any of the consequences? My overall rating here therefore balances out the pluses of the actual flights against the minuses of the doubts and uncertainties beforehand.
RouteManchester to Palma
Date FlownOctober 2017

"had a pleasant flight back"

Verified Review | Liverpool to Dublin. My partner and myself flew to Dublin for a day out. After going through the booking system online and reading some of the reviews online we were not looking forward to the flight. The booking system is quite obviously setup to seat people as far apart as possible so the priority seating charge can be applied to sit together, this method leaves you with a feeling of being ripped off, a fact born out in most reviews we read. I personally would prefer the £3 to be automatically applied to the fare with an option to be randomly seated for £3 less, this would leave you feeling you had a bargain instead and cut down complaints and as most people prefer to travel together the airline would probably make more from it and everyone would be happy. We recieved 3 reminder emails from ryanair prompting us to check in online and avoid the airport checkin charge which was good. We were pleasantly surprised by the flights, both journeys were on time and even landed ahead of schedule. The planes were clean and looked new and the staff were proffessional and curtious. At dublin after dropping our hire car we underestimated the time it would take to get through security as it was very busy and by the time we got through our gate was closed. After a mad run the full length of terminal 1 we got to the gate 10 minutes before take off with the gate deserted. However after jumping up and down and waving to the pilots who we could see through the windows, he instructed one of the ground crew to come and get us and bring us to the plane, cant thank him enough. We had a pleasant flight back and based on our experience would book with this airline again.
RouteLiverpool to Dublin