Ryanair

"the product is the traveller"

Trip Verified | Flew Knock to Toulouse via London Stansted. Although departures and arrivals are on time, it is a shame to report the irony of the travelers having paid for their trip at a low price. Handlugage taken as for checked lugage because there was not paid extra for it (handlugage is not checked lugage right? This forced me to wait another extra 30/40 minutes on arrival). And on the trip back, surprise, 10 euros tax per passenger to pay at Knock airport (if we wanted to have our flight). None of this was notified either by e-mail, check-in, or even booking. A disaster, the budget explodes even more. No smiling flight attendants. Without forgetting to notice the dozen calls "Ladies and gentlemen, we ask for your attention please" to announce the selling of the duty-free products (whereas one would understand there is something serious / important happening). A little quiet flight and so commercial: when it's free, the product is the traveller.
RouteKnock to Toulouse via London Stansted
Date FlownMarch 2018

"customer services very prompt"

(Slovakia)

Trip Verified | Bratislava to Bologna. The flight was cancelled, airline couldn't find any flight to enjoy trip to Bologna. They refunded within 1 day the full price of airline tickets, within 1 week every services we missed. The fastest refund we have ever experienced! Thank you. In this case have to say, customer services very prompt, quick.
RouteBratislava to Bologna

"trying to rip you off"

Trip Verified | I have just tried to check in on line for a forthcoming trip to Milan with Ryanair, having had the debacle of trying to sit together with friends - this is just not possible unless you pay extra up front again!! Thought I had solved the problem by paying an additional £6 PP Per flight for priority boarding. Only to discover that due again to their policy change this no longer includes early check in. The only way to sit together is to reserve your seats. Which is also a cheaper option than priority boarding but it doesn't tell you this when you make the booking. It is also not possible to change your Priority boarding to reserving a seat! The other point worth mentioning is that when you do book in the 4 day period before you fly, the Ryanair system seems to be designed to ensure that you are as far apart from your family as possible, which causes chaos at boarding as everyone then boards the flight and tries to sit with their family. If I have a choice Ryanair will be my last choice of carrier. No longer the cheap option they once were - they give you the distinct feeling they are trying to rip you off. Most certainly the worst of the cheap airlines! I will not use them again unless there is no other option - even if I have to pay more for the flight. Don't try to complain on the phone - they have no complaints department, just someone who keeps on telling you their policy has changed and to look at their website if you want to complain.
RouteMilan to Manchester
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Customer service is rude"

Trip Verified | Athens to Stansted. One week before trip they send me a email that they change the bag policy. I had to contact them by phone and asked them and pay for a second cabin bag for my mother with special assistance wheelchair. Customer service is rude not willing to help you out.
RouteAthens to Stansted
Date FlownAugust 2017

"don't really understand new baggage policy"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Rome to Barcelona. I don't really understand the new baggage policy, but waiting at the arrival for 30 min (that corresponds to 1/3 of the time spent on board flying) for a small luggage is ridiculous. If it's made to "oblige" the passengers to buy the priority is very sad!
RouteRome to Barcelona
Date FlownMarch 2018

"charged me for not doing online check in"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Stansted. Horrible experience. I had to pay extra to get my hand luggage on the cabin, they charged me 55€ for not doing the online check in even if I arrive 2 hours before my flight at the airport to check in. The service was poor and so slow. I won't fly with them again.
RouteMadrid to Stansted
Date FlownMarch 2018

"No customer service quality"

Trip Verified | Ryanair is the worst airline. They’re are incredibly greedy for money and cant find enough ways to steal from you. I’ve flown with them before but never again! Firstly the ticket is affordable but each bag costs £40 which means the cost of bags will exceed the ticket (so flying with a more expensive airline with more benefits and quality assurance will technically equal the money you will spend with Ryanair). Secondly, unlike every other airline it now requires you to pay £6 (yes because £80 isnt enough) for you to be able to take a small bag on board. I took a small trolley bag as I knew this was the policy and they still tagged it. My bag had no lock, was not strong enough to be put in the deck and had very delicate things inside. They only gave me time to remove my computer and all my appliances/makeup/many other products were left to be thrown away in the deck (and we both know what happens, bag breaks and all my things inside break). The best part is they only tell you about this policy in an e-mail after you buy the ticket! Yes it is written in the small letters of the terms, yet they know we don't always read it all, especially when I’ve flown with them before and never had to do it so just assumed everthing was the same. When boarding, I realise half the top shelfs were empty which means this could all have been avoided, but like I said, money tops it all for this airline. No customer service quality, terrible unhappy and unfriendly staff in the airplane. All I know is that I have given so much time and money to this airline, but you can be sure I will never fly with them again. Absolutely ridiculous.
RouteLondon Stansted to Lisbon
Date FlownMarch 2018

"staff were very nice and courteous"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Rome Ciampino with Ryanair on 2 non priority tickets. We had bought 2 seats across an aisle together as they were 2.50 each and actually the plane had plenty of empty seats so we ended up sitting together. Had they been dearer I wouldn't have bought the seats and instead more than likely sat at opposite ends of the plane due to that crazy seating algorithm that needs to go! Boarding at Dublin swift and efficient and staff were very nice and courteous on outbound flight. On time arrival into CIA. Due to not having priority boarding our bags were taken off us at the aircraft and we weren't waiting long for them at the terminal. On the way back, a similar pattern, really nice staff on board, highly efficient and pleasant. Interestingly they turned off the cabin lights and toned down the service after about an hour which was really welcome. I have to say the constant selling is tiresome but on this flights the hour and half with dimmed lighted was very pleasant and appreciated by all passengers. Small delay on take off as wind was 15 knots which was too strong under Italian aviation law but we were well updated by flight deck. More notifications as we flew right over Paris and over Heathrow I wouldn't have any problems flying Ryanair again but play by the rules. If you want an allocated seat and carry on luggage take a priority ticket. The price was good and customer service was of a good acceptable and dare I say it more enhanced than on some previous trips.
RouteDublin to Rome Ciampino

"avoiding compensation claims"

Trip Verified | Birmingham to Malaga. We've all seen the online blogs about Ryanair's reputation for avoiding compensation claims, but I experienced it first hand when they cancelled my flight to Mallorca just 6 hours before take off back in October of last year, and I lost a fortune in transfers, hotel costs, train fees, travel money etc. I thought it would be very straight forward to get compensation for something for which I was totally blameless. Not so. I contacted Ryanair with all of my proof of purchases, and got an email to say they would pay me nothing because of circumstances "which was due to a general strike, outside of our control." I contacted the Ombudsman, Aviation ADR, and they contacted Ryanair on my behalf, and received a reply saying that they still would not compensate me. I went higher up and still nothing. I am continuing to fight this. I'm not going to say I will never fly with them again, because they are cheap. But the reputation Ryanair have for abysmal customer service and compensation claims is utterly justified. If you book, make sure you are ATOL protected, because otherwise you will have one mighty battle on your hands.
RouteBirmingham to Malaga
Date FlownDecember 2017

"they would not let us through"

Trip Verified | I thought I would flag what appears to be a persistent problem for Ryanair passengers flying from Frankfurt and the lamentable response from ground crew and Frankfurt staff. Bag security takes place at the gate at Frankfurt T2, not on entering the departure lounge (only passport needed). I arrived at the gate ~50 mins before the flight departed (let's face it - at STN with Ryanair you only generally start to board ~5 mins before the departure time) to be confronted with a large queue, all for the same flight. Security did not seem unduly concerned. Far from being last in the queue unfortunately I was directed to a very slow moving parallel screening queue for Xrays etc - which did indeed leave me one of the last downstairs to the gate, where I was witness to a queue of some 20 people already arguing with the gate staff who told them they were "late" and could not board. The situation was made more ridiculous as there was a half-empty bus waiting outside, for at least 10 minutes while the team of 2 on the desk refused to let more people past. Eventually this bus departed, only for another one to turn up - again we were not allowed to board this by the gate staff. Someone else turned up and we were effectively told tough, go and re-book as they would not let us through. As a result families were split as the block was seemingly arbitrarily applied from one passenger to the next - which was appalling, moreover he had medication for his wife and they still would not let the guy through nor make any attempt to get these to him. Clearly there was no communication between security and the gate which was hugely frustrating, security was understaffed as they could not physically process the volume of passengers in the timeframe (if I were more suspicious I would think there may be some 'special arrangement' to engineer this). Moreover this happens regularly - one of the gate staff told us *45* people were denied boarding under similar circumstances the day before and a quick twitter search showed this happened at least once more this same week. Overall it was a lousy experience but it seems to be a common problem - be warned if flying Ryanair out of FRA, get to the get super early.
RouteFrankfurt to London Stansted