Ryanair

"bewildered and shocked"

Trip Verified | Flight from Stansted to Berlin 7.50am boarded late, not the end of the world but hardly perfect, 1hr later still sat on the plane, 3 hours later. It's snowing now,still on the plane - captain assures us the runway is open and we will be off momentarily. Asks the stewardess for some water to be told I would have to pay (despite EU regulation and Ryanair website explaining after 2 hours they will feed and hydrate passengers). I was told to get food we would have to go to the terminal except they wouldn't and couldn't open the door. 6 hours later the captain promises that help is on its way in the form of a staircase to take us back inside Stansted but still no sign of a staircase (unless you count the one outside the aircraft gathering snow). 6.5 hours later we depart. Finally we are in the air, bewildered and shocked that Ryanair can ask a full plane of customers to sit for over 6 hours without water, without food and without explanation.
RouteStansted to Berlin

"obnoxious pricing schemes"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to Paphos. EasyJet pricing is much more transparent and their customer service is substantially better. Ryanair seems like a good deal at first but suffers from obnoxious pricing schemes (randomly allocated seating just makes a huge mess at takeoff and serves no logistical purpose besides coercing you into paying an extra 25 Euro per person to sit next to your family) and absolutely terrible customer service that refuses to directly answer the questions you ask them. First they had a mistake on their website when I booked, causing me to pay for unnecessary priority boarding. At the airport we didn't actually get priority booking because a bus took us to the plane which was full of passengers who didn't pay for priority booking and we boarded after them. When I contacted customer service they refuse to acknowledge the initial mistake so I asked them questions about the new baggage policy which they won't answer directly, but simply copy and paste from the website (I can actually read, thanks). When I explained that I didn't even get the priority boarding that I paid for I get another copy and paste about how they are a non-refundable airline. It's impossible to have a dialogue with the customer service team because there's no way to answer on the same thread that you opened, even when I went through their complicated Contact Us menu, and try to update an existing complaint, the system said that the customer service number I've been given is not valid as it is 7 digits instead of 6. So every email I send them I have to do through a separate complaint in which I need to attach the previous emails as documents.
RouteTel Aviv to Paphos
Date FlownDecember 2017

"all started changing seats"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Milan to Madrid. I was traveling with my wife and we did the boarding online, as you are charging 4€ per seat we did the free one and it placed us at 6b and 26b which makes no sense but I understand what they are doing! There was about 15 couples on the plane and friends which all started changing seats so they could sit together, meaning more confusion. When couples buy their ticket together just let them sit together and you will make customers happy - its nice to have customers happy even at low cost services.
RouteMilan to Madrid
Date FlownDecember 2017

"really good value for money"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Prague to Stansted. Since British Airways are really expensive from Prague, this was the only early morning option. This aircraft is based in Prague and as the first flight of the day it was on time, which is important. The interior is nothing extra and I miss seat pocket, because I use it for my phone and etc, so this is thing I don't like the most on Ryanair aircraft interior, legroom is small as well, but I'm not really tall so it's alright for me and prices on board are reasonable. Boarding was quick and efficient, same for deboarding. So on this flight everything was ok and it's really good value for money.
AircraftBoeing 737 - 800
RoutePrague to Stansted
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"spent almost 8 hours in the plane"

Trip Verified | Lanzarote to Berlin. Upon boarding the pilot announced that the plane is too heavy for the fuel to be enough and so we will have to land in Frankfurt to refuel and only then continue to Berlin. An hour delay before departure in Lanzarote, after boarding. Another hour refueling in Frankfurt and in total we spent almost 8 hours in the plane for what should have been a 5 hours flight. The plane landed just 15 minutes before the 3 hours delay which would have entitled us for compensation by European law. On the plane we were never offered any kind of complimentary food or drinks. We were not offered water. The toilet door handle broke during flight which made the front toilet unusable until the refuel landing in Frankfurt. We would've chosen another company if it was possible but they're the only ones flying direct. I will also mention the flight there from Berlin was delayed two hours after boarding.
RouteLanzarote to Berlin

"positively surprised"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Podgorica to Stockholm. This airline doesn't have a very good reputation for service, so expectations were low. But since the route was perfect for me, I still chose it. And I was positively surprised. Having recently flown a major carrier I actually found the Ryanair flight better. Check in is easily done with their mobile app, and it is of course a bit annoying that you have to pay extra to choose your seat. But still a lot better than it used to be when you had to stand in line to get a decent seat. They also have a very good system for cabin luggage. Either you can pay to take it on board, otherwise they only allow a limited number of large cabin bags, the others will be placed in the hold free of charge. This makes boarding much easier, and you can actually find place for your duty free bags and coats in the plane, something that can be almost impossible on other airlines. They now also allow an extra small item, which is far better than they used to be. I was also surprised by the leg room, which was good even for me who is quite tall. Since the seatbacks cannot be reclined you don't end up with someones seatback very close to you. The next surprise was their meal service, where they served good food for low prices. I even manage to find a gluten free meal, which was easy to determine since all items were clearly marked with allergene symbols. The departure was delayed for an hour due to snow in Sweden, and before landing we had to wait more while the runway was cleared from snow. But I found all staff very professional and pleasant. Ryanair used to be an annoying airline with bad passenger service. But while other airlines are constantly deteriorating and copying the low cost airlines I am happy to say that Ryanair is getting better and better. If it wasn't for their annoying habit of seating passengers travelling together apart from each other unless they pay, I would give it a higher mark still.
RoutePodgorica to Stockholm
Date FlownDecember 2017

"any worse company than Ryanair"

(Malta)

Trip Verified | Athens to Malta. Luggage policy. Before if you added after booking the ticket was 20 euro, now they put it 40 euro. You pay the luggage and then at the airport for other people they take their luggage for free while we have paid the expensive fee. I booked and while I had the ticket confirmed and in my iPhone wallet the system showed my as off the flight and I had to re-check it. While the show the ticket they told me i had to recheck in and while there were 5 min left before the flight was closing the system wouldn't allow me to check in from the app and while I was in the office they told be to pay extra 50 euro because the had to check me in. Totally unacceptable, cannot be any worse company than Ryanair.
RouteAthens to Malta

"not happy or impressed"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Passengers travelling with children need to be aware that if you do not pay for seats Ryanair will split your family up. I have just checked in for our flight. We really don’t care where we sit on the plane but after checkiing in we selected free allocation and were offered window seats 7F, 23A and 31F they could not have been anymore far apart. When we looked at the seat map we found that next to each allocated seat were two free seats - how ridiculous and mean is this. I can’t have our nine year old sitting at the front of the aircraft in 7F next to a total stranger so we had to pay for one adult to sit next to our son. I believed that it was the law that an airline could not split children up from at least one parent. When your travelling with children and booking a ticket with Ryanair you do have to select if your travelling with children. I believed this was to stop the system splitting a child up from at least one of the parents. The child fare is the same price as an adult with Ryanair so why do you have confirm one of the passengers in the booking will be a child? Ryanair this is extremely tacky, and obviously a money spin to earn more money. Not happy or impressed how you treat families with young children, shame on you.
RoutePalma to Barcelona
Date FlownDecember 2017

"offered no help or assistance"

Trip Verified | Liverpool to Barcelona. I travelled with two kids and even though the staff could see me struggling to fold a double buggy whilst carrying a heavy bag and a baby they offered no help or assistance. Thankfully other passengers helped me to get on board. When I was on the return flight home same happened, didn't even bother to ask. At one point my daughter had dropped some pringles which we paid ridiculous amounts for and a passenger stepped on them so I couldn't pick up the little crumbs. The crew member walked past and picked up the crisps and muttered other passengers have to board this plane too you know. I just thought how rude! And also why do they not clean the aircraft between journeys! It was filthy to start with. Greasy seats and magazines on the floor! Just shows you get what you pay for. If the service was better then it would have been full marks! Also the food is so limited - for vegetarians they have a panini which is always sold out even though I've been like the second customer they've served on numerous occasions I've been on the flight.
RouteLiverpool to Barcelona
Date FlownDecember 2017

"There were many hidden costs"

Trip Verified | There were many hidden costs and I made a mistake in checking in the return flight before the first flight and had to pay 50€ per person, I was with my wife so 100€. This put a downer on the whole holiday! I dont think i will be using Ryanair again because even when i explained my mistake, the staff just laughed at it and were really blunt and miserable which made me feel even worse!
RouteBarcelona to Cologne Bonn