Lufthansa

"really need to improve the food"

Trip Verified | Flew Newark to Kiev via Frankfurt, and returned from Vienna to Newark via Frankfurt with Lufthansa. The inflight entertainment system on the trans-Atlantic flights had a decent selection of movies and music, but my screen kept freezing and crashing, and had to be reset, on both long-haul flights. The food on the EWR-FRA segment was okay, but the chicken meal on the FRA-EWR flight was absolutely horrible. Decent bar service on both long-hauls though. The European flights offered a sandwich with beer/wine/soft drinks, few airlines offer any complimentary service on short-haul flights, so that was nice. My biggest complaint would be that en-route to Kiev, my suitcase was destroyed at Frankfurt airport so I had to buy a new one upon arrival in Kiev. Also, my VIE-FRA connection was too short to be comfortable, 45 minutes to connect at a huge airport like Frankfurt is really stressful. I just barely made it to the gate a few minutes before they closed the doors. My already short connection was made even shorter due to the fact that the flight from Vienna landed what seemed like several miles from the actual terminal, and we were then treated to a 15-minute bus tour of Frankfurt airport, so I ended up literally having to run all the way to my next gate. Overall, I'd still fly LH again, they're still better than any USA-based airline, as well as better than many European ones, but as a supposed 5-star carrier, they really need to improve the food on long-haul flights, work out the glitches in the entertainment system, and take better care of passengers' luggage.
RouteNewark to Kiev Boryspil/Vienna via Frankfurt

"hard and unconfortable"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Newark to Tel Aviv via Munich. The bad service started at check in time. There was a technical issue and I was not able to get my boarding passes. So i called the call center to make sure the seats are confirmed and all i will have to do is get the boarding passes at the airport. I was assured it was ok and we had the 4 seats together. Then at the airport I found out it was not true. The seats are very hard and unconfortable. The special food we ordered was not delivered on the long flight. On the flight back we were kept on the plane for over 4 hours of delays without understanding how long it was going to take to take off. All in all a terrible experience.
RouteNewark to Tel Aviv via Munich
Date FlownAugust 2018

"missed my connecting flight"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Frankfurt. My flight out of Orlando on August 12th was delayed because of weather therefore I missed my connecting flight from Frankfurt to Split. When departing aircraft there was no help whatsoever on support of getting another connecting flight. Finally found a counter that was open with only 4 individuals working and approx. 80 people in line. After standing in line for 2.5 hours I looked up other flights going into Split and the only one left was at 1600 hours. I knew then that we would not make it if we continued to stand in the line that we were currently in. After going through customs into Germany we approached a counter that was loaded with individuals - on the other side there was only 2 lady's working so I spoke with an agent and told her my situation and she took care of us and was very helpful in explaining were we needed to go. We did make the flight thanks to her. I think Lufthansa needs to hire more people like her, excellent customer service!
RouteOrlando to Frankfurt
Date FlownAugust 2018

"arrived earlier than planned"

Trip Verified | San Jose to Munich via Frankfurt. Zero options offered for breakfast, a foil-covered scrambled egg, tomato and sausage combination. Entertainment options were pretty meh. Coming from someone who is accustomed to United levels of service, I was pleasantly surprised that Lufthansa took the time to rebook me on the next available flight when the flight delay for my first leg caused me to miss a connection. As a result, I arrived earlier than I had planned.
RouteSan Jose to Munich via Frankfurt

"seat was comfortable"

(Slovenia)

Trip Verified | Flying from Belgrade to Brussel via Munich with Lufthansa was very nice. Departure on time on both leg and the crew was friendly. Drinks and snack was for free. The seat was comfortable and the plane was clean. I would fly with them again.
RouteBelgrade to Brussels via Munich

"Boarding a mess"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | The website and mobile app work really bad for me: slow, not user-friendly, old layout, etc. Not possible to select seats for the first flight (operated by Air Dolomiti - which is Lufthansa Group), and for the return flight from LAX to Munich with a Lufthansa flight. Check in available 48 hrs before departure. Boarding a mess. Lufthansa staff doing nothing for 1h then not able to handle a proper boarding. I found the food in the airplane disgusting. Lost a luggage.
RouteLos Angeles to Munich
Date FlownAugust 2018

"Lufthansa is very professional"

(Slovenia)

Trip Verified | Very good airline. Flying from Belgrade to Brussel via Munich, I must say that Lufthansa is very professional. Clean airplane, free drink and snack. The crew were very friendly and during the flight gave us all data about our flight. I recommend using this airline.
RouteBelgrade to Brussels via Munich
Date FlownAugust 2018

"carry on was overweight"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Munich. They asked us to check our carry on because it was overweight. People were bringing in larger pieces. At the airport in Munich it took over an hour to find the luggage. Worst Economy seats on a newer plane, sure! More efficient perhaps, but avoid Lufthansa’s A350.
AircraftA350-900
RouteChicago to Munich
Date FlownAugust 2018

"would not fly with them again"

Trip Verified | We were flying from Lyon to Philadelphia through Frankfurt. We had a very short layover in Frankfurt and our flight from Lyon to Frankfurt was delayed. The pilot announced several times that the flights from Frankfurt were also delayed and not to worry. Nevertheless, we ran as quickly as possible to make our connection to Philadelphia. The gate agents practically laughed at us and said that flight was long gone. The truth was we arrived at our gate at 1:45pm, the flight was delayed until 2:10pm (according to an email I received from Lufthansa) and did not actually take off until 2:30pm (according to FlightAware). Yet, Lufthansa did nothing to get us on that plane (I assume it was out on the tarmac - the busing around the Frankfurt airport to and from the planes is ridiculous). Instead, we had to go to customer service and were re-booked on a flight the following day. Customer service actually seemed annoyed that they had to deal with us. Then to make matters worse, the customer service rep said they would book us at a nice hotel in center city so we could see Frankfurt. The hotel was no where near center city - we were in some warehouse district that was not walking distance to anything. To get to center city was a walk and two bus rides away or a 40 euro round trip taxi ride. Ridiculous! The extra 24 hours in Frankfurt was awful and I couldn't wait to get out of there. It was seriously the most money I have ever spent on an airline ticket ($1900+ per person) and the worst experience I ever had. I have flown many times and have seen airlines go out of their way to make sure the passengers make their connections. Not Lufthansa. I would not fly with them again.
RouteLyon to Philadelphia via Frankfurt

"Lufthansa delivers efficiency"

(South Korea)

Trip Verified | Seoul to Oslo via Munich. The new A350 felt some claustrophobic. For me I think almost all airlines need to work on the food. The portion is little if you are hungry for 10/11 hours. Lufthansa delivers efficiency. Munich-Oslo went smooth, nice pusher on the evening flight. I will again fly Lufthansa in the future, as I have previously done.
AircraftA350-900