Frontier Airlines

"nickel and dime you for everything"

Not Verified | Raleigh Durham to Las Vegas. The flight was not that bad. For the price I paid it was worth it. If I have anything to complain about is the cost of inflight drinks. A small bottle of water or a can of soda for $3.00? That is a bit too extreme, and, if you don’t have a debit/credit card you’re out of luck. Aside from the above issues, my biggest complaint is that the seats don’t recline and that the airline nickel and dime you for everything. I will not get used to paying for a carry on bag.
RouteRaleigh Durham to Las Vegas
Date FlownOctober 2017

"I'm done flying Frontier"

Trip Verified | Omaha to San Francisco via Denver. Couldn't get a working boarding pass. After I checked in on your website using my laptop, I never got an email confirmation with a boarding pass as I do with all other airlines. So, I logged back in to your website and went to print the boarding pass, but since I didn't have a printer, I just took a screenshot and sent that to my phone. I arrived at the airport 45 minutes before the flight with just a laptop back. I thought I'd go to the check-in counter and get a proper boarding pass just in case, but the woman said that it was closed and she had no way to print a boarding pass. I checked my phone and it was exactly 45 minutes before the departure time. So, I went to security and tried to use my screen shot of the boarding pass and we couldn't make it work. I then went back to the website using my phone and I couldn't find any way pull up the boarding pass again. TSA said they couldn't let me in with a boarding pass that would scan. So, I went back down to the check-in counter and was told again that they had no way to print a boarding pass as they were completely locked out 45 minutes before the flight. And, the one self check-in kiosk was broken. The woman the check-in counter was absolutely unhelpful. Her only suggestion was that I buy a ticket for the United flight that was leaving 15 minutes later. I didn't even get a sincere apology. There was a guy standing around and I'm still not sure if he worked for Frontier or not as he didn't have a uniform, but he heard what was going on and suggested I install your app. After a few minutes getting that setup, I was finally able to get a boarding pass on my phone that worked and I made my flight just a couple of minutes before the doors closed. I've been flying 30 to 50 flights a year for the past 40 years and while I've had problems in the past, I've never seen such a complete breakdown of the check-in process as this. First, I should have received a boarding pass in my email (yes, you had the right email address and no it didn't go to my junk mail). Second, it's ridiculous that your agent can't print a boarding pass 45 minutes before a flight departs even when a customer is not checking a bag. Third, there should be at least one working kiosk that can print the pass. Fourth, there should be an obvious way to view the boarding pass on the website. I had been able to on my laptop by clicking the check-in button, but when I opened the browser on my phone, even though I had already checked in that button was disabled (I supposed again because of the 45 minute issue). I can't afford to miss flights because the airline can't figure out it's check-in system and I'm done flying Frontier.
RouteOmaha to San Francisco via Denver

"Does any airline care?"

Trip Verified | Houston to San Jose via Denver. We actually didn't fly. In Houston, we ran into a situation were all lanes of traffic were blocked. My husband had dropped his Driver's License in the San Jose International Airport, who'd sent us a picture and told us to arrive early for our return flight for extra screening on our return flight. Since the lanes were blocked, and there was no way around that, we pre-boarded while stuck on the road. After advising TSA that we would be late for our flight soon, they went into sloth-mode, calling a supervisor who didn't appear for 10 minutes. My husband provided the necessary alternative forms of ID listed on TSA's own requirements, and they proceeded to pat him down, etc. We ran, arriving at the Frontier gate to board 12 minutes before our flight was to depart. We were told the gate would close 10 min prior. There were no employees at the desk, and there was no way to reach them. We ran to the next gate and asked what to do. They told us to knock on the door to the gangway. We pounded on the door until we saw our plane take off. Then the employees came in, and we explained our situation. They offered to fly us out 2 days later. That was all they would offer. It took 2 minutes for them to make that decision, and they said they had no sister airline to accommodate us sooner. We offered to fly into San Francisco or Oakland. Still, they said, they had nothing. I called their call center at 5.40am, and spoke to another country who had nothing to offer, and didn't even check to see if there were earlier flights. This airline clearly wasn't trying to reschedule us, and did want to keep our money, which is what they did do. It doesn't behoove them to accommodate us, because they already have our money. We were forced to buy tickets on another airline for $700 in order to get home in time to meet our obligations of work and childcare in San Jose. Frontier doesn't care. TSA doesn't care. Does any airline care?
RouteHouston to San Jose via Denver

"absolutely terrible experience"

Not Verified | Orlando to Colorado Springs. From the start of this flight it was an absolute mess. I got to the airport for my 6:30 flight over 2 hours early. The line for luggage checking was ridiculously long with only 3 people checking bags. We were told only certain lines were for certain flights, but nothing was labeled so new people coming had no clue what they were supposed to do. One line they later said wasn't a line. When we got to the counter they told us we were in the wrong line (after having waited an hour). The desk staff was extremely rude and unorganized for such a large airport. Then at our gate, 20 min after boarding should have started they tell us the plane just landed from Cancun and there was a security check that would last at least 20 min. (Except the fact the plane was already at the gate 30 mins, or more before that) the flight was delayed over 45 min, for a 6:30am flight. What an absolutely terrible experience. I will never fly them again.
RouteOrlando to Colorado Springs

"they get you there"

Verified Review | Washington to Las Vegas via Denver. I describe Frontier Airlines as "they get you there". I say this because the planes are uncomfortable and the flight plans are pretty rough, especially if you are buying tickets during a promotion. The promotional times generally cover weekdays, less Friday. And the flight plans during those days generally involve stopping in Denver, which could be 1 hour or up to 3 hours. Denver airport is very big, and comfortable, but it is a pain to stopover for west-bound travel. I do recommend the cheap $20 travel insurance. There seems to be a high incidence of delays with flights. My flight from Las Vegas was delayed by a half hour because of crew issues. My flight from San Francisco the week prior was cancelled because of the pilot thinking there was a huge maintenance issue. The cancellation resulted in my wife and I getting $200 vouchers, which I guess was a result of having the travel insurance. $400 free, great. But now we have to fly with Frontier again, and I have to use the vouchers within 3 months of issuance (ugh). Frontier is a budget airline, and I get what that involves - fees for everything. I just wish that they would be a bit more focused on their budget status. Budget airline implies they want to fly as many minutes possible and be on the ground as few minutes as possible. Meaning, the quicker it takes to load the plane the more money they make since they can fly more. I would like to know if European airlines do this, but Frontier should be different from all the standard airlines and load the plane from the back first instead of by zone, mostly front first. Yes, I understand that this may result in the people who pay for seat upgrades (which are in the first 5 rows of the plane) to possibly lose the ability to stow their carry-on because of limited bin space, but perhaps they should force people who take the cheap option (like me) to check their baggage. Already there is a $5 incentive to check baggage when you buy tickets. It is usually $30 to carry-on a bag and $25 to check it. I chose to save those $5 and checked one big bag for my wife and I. They should make the incentive bigger for the cheap-minded passengers, like $15 or something because there are still too many people carrying bags on, and carry-ons slow down the boarding process. Perhaps they should setup a system wherein they limit the number of carry-on purchases based on bin space, with priority given to those who pay for seat upgrades. Like other budget airlines, everything comes at a cost - $10 for not printing a boarding pass at home (rarely enforced), cost for food on-board, cost for upgraded seats, cost for selecting a seat at check-in (if you must select a seat for free, you need to do it early and you are limited to the center seat in the last 10 rows or so). Just select no seat and let the system do it for you. The worst part of frontier is the seat. The width and the leg room are pretty standard, and the seat base cushion is fine, but the seat back is horrible. It is a layer of plastic covered by a thin layer of padding and then a thin layer of leather. And the backs don't recline. It is super uncomfortable to try sleeping. The trays are small, so good luck putting your head down. The next time I fly Frontier (which will be the last time I fly, thanks to the vouchers) I will pay for the seat upgrade to the front 5 rows which are more like Delta's seats, comfortable and they recline.
RouteWashington to Las Vegas via Denver
Date FlownNovember 2017

"thank them for the kindness"

Verified Review | I used Frontier Airlines on a round trip from Miami to Long Island return. In both directions the attention was very good. I would like to thank them for the kindness they treated us both in flight and in their kiosks at the airports. They were impeccable flights. I recommend it totally.
RouteMiami to Long Island

"Over $100 in extras"

Verified Review | Salt Lake City to Las Vegas. Do yourself a favor and spend a few extra bucks on a real airline. Frontier may seem like a deal until you have to pay to carry on a bag or to know what seat you’ll have. Over $100 in extras. The flight was late and water costs $3 for a small bottle of water.
RouteSalt Lake City to Las Vegas
Date FlownNovember 2017

"they separated my family"

Verified Review | I've flown countless times on what I've heard to be the worst airlines while in the marine corps, never really cared about comfort or TVs. Anyways I'm a veteran now flying with a car seat and a 7 month baby that I couldn't even comfort because they separated my family. This was the first and last time flying Frontier. Between last minute check-in bag fees and the treatment we received I felt I had to leave a review. Never flew on a plane that felt unsafe as soon as we took off. I stood awake my entire flight from California to Florida because the seats could not recline. The plane had no TVs for children, no free refreshments, small seats, barely any leg room, stiff hard chairs, rude staff and dirty bathrooms. We brought a car seat onto the plane and after 80% of people loaded we finally started to board and set up the car seat with two crying babies. Then we were told the car seat had to go in a window seat but I didn't have a window seat so it took them about 15 mins to find someone to move us to a seat with a window only to separate my family so the baby can be seated with his mom while I sat on another row. Last but not least out of all the airlines I've been to they always allow mothers or parents with car seats to get situated first so they can have time to set up the car seat but the rude flight attendant said "I understand but we need you to sit down and buckle your seatbelt".
RouteSan Francisco to Orlando Intl

"flight is comfortable"

Verified Review | Las Vegas to San Jose. Newer A320 between San Jose and Las Vegas. The flight is comfortable. I paid extra $20 to seat at 2nd row, but my carry-on baggage can not be put on row 2 cabinets which is reserved for row 1 seats even though there are spaces available, and row 3 cabinets are all full because passengers boarded first, I was forced to put my carry-on bag under seat and couldn't stretch my legs, or put it far away from my seat. This is the first time I couldn't use cabinets on top of my seats on an airplane after more than 40 years traveling around world, and it's the first time I take Frontier airlines.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLas Vegas to San Jose
Date FlownNovember 2017

"my experience was satisfactory"

Verified Review | This was my first time flying on Frontier from Miami to Las Vegas. They are a no frills, nothing included airline. My ticket cost was only $50, but I added the full upgrade package for another $99 which included being able to chose my seat (any seat) and free bags. Otherwise everything else is a secondary charge. They do not serve free refreshments on board and have no inflight entertainment. With that said, because I upgraded my ticket, I was able to chose one of the extra space seats in the first few rows. These are the only seats that recline on the plane, all other seats do not. Because of that, I was relatively comfortable. My flight left on time, and arrived as scheduled. The flight crew seemed friendly, although I did not need their services. Overall my experience was satisfactory. Had I been in any of the standard seats, that did not recline, I am sure my experience would have been not as pleasant. This would be the only way I fly Frontier again.
RouteMiami to Las Vegas