Frontier Airlines

Review by (Australia) 3rd July 2015

I that this is meant to be a budget carrier but there is no excuse for untrained, poor staff who don't understand basic customer service. At check in customers have to pay $30 for their carry-on cabin bag, I was informed that only one personal item was free. On boarding all luggage racks were empty for obvious reasons, welcome onboard announcement failed to advise of normal flight times, weather conditions.. Crew unsure what to say. We experienced turbulence during the flight, Captain failed to put return to seat signs on a number of times. Crew did not manage the cabin or provide any customer service thoughout the flight, no entertainment or wifi in the cabin whatsoever, no complimentary drinks.
RouteMiami to New York

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

I purchased a book to read on this trip, but could not read it going or coming because the overhead light above my seat did not work. On the trip home, I opted to watch their TV channels, but monitors on my row did not work either. Be sure to select your own seat prior to boarding, if you choose to Fly Frontier Airlines. I was randomly given a seat in front of the exit row by the clerk when I checked in. The seats directly in front of the exit row will not recline backwards, so on a late night 4-hour flight, I had to sleep in an upright position. It was very uncomfortable. You can ask for a cup of Frontier's very fine water on ice and they will give it to you at no additional charge.
RouteAtlanta to Las Vegas

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

Second delay in 4 days. First delay 4.5 hours. Second delay was going home. One hour and still waiting! Both due to mechanical issues. Bags took 30 minutes to get bags at baggage claim.
RouteChicago to Austin

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

I understood that Frontier was a low cost airline and that many "extras" had additional fees associated with them. What I didn't realize was that if you paid the fees, they would not provide the service you paid for. I chose to pay the extra fees for seat selection so that my party could sit together and my children would not have to sit next to a stranger. I booked 8 seats and chose the seats from Frontier's seat selection menu. When we arrived at the airport, the seats had been changed and we were no longer seated as a group. The agent told me there was nothing they could do about it since our seats had already been assigned to someone else. So, we were split up on our flight. I was told that not only could we not sit together, they had no power to refund the seat selection fees that had already been paid. I would have to call and talk with "Customer Relations." I have now made 3 phone calls to customer relations and spent a total of 2.5 hours on the phone. Again I am told that "customer relations is working on it". I waited and again, no call back.
RouteMCO to PDX via DEN

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

I checked into the airport 5am on the 11th June. I'm a wheelchair passenger. I was told someone would be with me shortly. I sat for almost an hour waiting. Finally a lady told me they were short staffed so I would have to wait so I waited. My flight left for New York at 6.15, I barely made my flight and I was the last one on the plane. My flight on the other hand was ok. Would fly with Frontier Airline as long as I'm not in a wheelchair.
RouteAtlanta to LaGuardia

Review by (United States) 29th June 2015

Frontier is no different from other US based airlines. Same lower quality interiors, comfort, poorer service and lack of respect for economy class passengers. Frontier goes a step forward and uses the following tactics to foster its revenues: 1) Bait and switch schedules. 2) Nickel and dime everything from seat selection, food, beverages, and carry on bags. My family booked a flight back in January for a journey in April. We thought we got a good price and a schedule that fit our needs. Few weeks later we were contacted by our travel agent to inform us that Frontier had canceled the return flight. We were offered the following choices: 1) Go on a flight the following day - Frontier would not compensate for any added expenses. 2) Cancel for no charge and rebook on another airline for an additional $400, because tickets prices had increased in the interim. We were pretty much forced to go with option 1. Also, while doing an online check-in the Frontier system pretty much "confuses" you into paying unnecessary fees. We had the foresight to skip that process during seat selection, whereby it automatically assigned us a seat without additional fees. We were not so lucky as it suckered us to pay cabin baggage fees that no one bothered to check at the gates and smarter passengers had avoided. Essentially the system threatens you will be charged more at the gate and that you are better of paying online. I'd take my chances at the gate.
RouteDFW to SLC

Review by (United States) 23rd June 2015

If you're traveling for business, or travel where you need travel to be on time and reliable don't fly Frontier Airlines. My wife and I made the mistake of booking Frontier Airlines for our honeymoon. We had our flight information changed 3 times. They changed the whole day of travel, causing us to have to reschedule our motel, they changed times on us and then on the week of my wedding when we had enough other things going on they changed our flight times just a few days before we left. I called to ask them about this and they offered no explanation. I can't imagine using them again when I need a reliable flight.
RouteDIA to CUN

Review by (United States) 22nd June 2015

I compared Frontier with other airlines before purchasing my ticket. I paid $253 for a round-trip ticket from Washington-Dulles to Orland- which included upcharges for a seats $40 ($20 each way) and a checked bag fee of $50 ($25 each way). I checked in and boarded without a problem. The seats are incredibly thin and hard. I was in row 6 and the seats don't recline. There are no TVs in the headrest and no inflight entertainment. I arrived to the airport for the flight back extremely early as the rest of my family was driving back and Frontier only has only one flight departing Orlando at 8:40PM. Around 8, I was texting my parents in DC and they told me they lost power because of a storm. There was no agent at the gate to tell us the status of our flight. At 8:30 there was still no gate agent. Then with no announcement and no gate agent present, the flight went from saying "on time" to 11:40PM. People started to get panicky. A little after 9PM finally a gate agent comes up and gets on the loud speaker and says "Your flight has been cancelled, please see an agent to rebook your flight." I went back to check-in and the agents were confused. "We didn't know the flight was cancelled. We're just finding out like you. You need to call customer service." Since there is only one departing flight per day, I knew the rebooking situation would be bleak. So, I decided to get a hotel room rather than spend 24hrs in the airport. It was after 10PM before I checked in. I then spent over an hour on the phone with customer service, who rebooked me on the 8:40PM flight for the following night. But the thought of spending another 10hrs+ in the airport literally brought me to tears. So I booked a one-way ticket on US Airways to DCA. Attempting to save $100, ended up costing me more than $340 - not to mention meals while I was waiting. In the end Frontier credited me $56 to use on a future fare, which I will never use because I'm never flying with them again.
RouteWashington-Dulles to Orlando International

Review by (United States) 20th June 2015

First time on Frontier, Tampa to Cleveland. Went "Classic" which included free bag check-in, assigned seat (in "Stretch Seating", aisles 1-4), and Zone 1 boarding. Inbound aircraft was late. The other plane at TPA due for DEN was 3 hours late to properly rest the crew (obviously late the night before inbound). The one good thing were the seats, very comfortable and in dark green leather, with plenty of leg room, at least in the "Stretch" area. Cabin service was mediocre, $4.49 for an oversized Rice Crispie treat and a cup of coffee (and the stewardess had forgotten the coffee, granted a mistake, until being reminded, and she was very apologetic about it). Timekeeping is a problem at Frontier, this seems to be a regular thing. Would only fly them non-stop, and have contingency plans at the ready.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteTPA to CLE

Review by (United States) 18th June 2015

I have never written a review, much less a negative one, before. Frontier used to be a great airline from start to finish. Found out they were bought by Spirit, considered the rock bottom airline. I was careful to pick a good connecting airline considering baggage rates. I was gouged at check in with my large purse fee. Frontier has clearly taken on Spirit's m.o.'s.
RouteSan Diego to Denver