Frontier Airlines

"have not had one good experience"

Trip Verified | These clowns can not be on time for the life of them. I have to fly with them because of where I live. We have been sitting on the plane for 25 min with nobody getting on the speaker saying why we are not leaving. The plane was already 30 min late. I travel back and forth from Colorado Springs to Los Angeles for meetings and they have cost me a lot of money not being on time. I’ve now missed my first very meeting which has messed up my whole day. Very disappointed in the way they charge as well. It’s all itemized, your charged for a carry on, checked bag and a purse. Crazy. I have flown with them a lot and have not had one good experience. Wish it was different. I have never left a review but felt I had to.
RouteColorado Springs to Los Angeles

"a king of hidden fees"

Trip Verified | Austin to Atlanta. This is a king of hidden fees. Checked and carry on bags are all $40-60 each. To get a seat assignment you pay $11-25 per seat. Expect a long wait for checked bags. We waiting in Atlanta for 45 mins for our bags. No wifi, entertainment on the planes. This is my first and last time flying this airline. Avoid like the plague!
RouteAustin to Atlanta
Date FlownNovember 2017

"was such a bad experience"

Trip Verified | Salt Lake City to Denver. This was my first and last experience with this airline. If you are smart (which I was not-- I booked thinking it would be fine for such a short flight), don't fly this airline. Nothing was good about this airline. You get what you pay for and in this case you think you are getting a good deal, but in the end with all their charges you are not getting a good deal. The website did not work--booking for the wrong date and trying to get you to book more expensive seats when I picked a cheaper one. I finally had to leave the website and book on another website. I actually wonder if the website purposely books the wrong day so you will have to pay more money. They charge for everything, even a back pack to carry on! There was not even an agent at the gate and people were just standing there waiting to check in (8:30am). The agents at the airport were rude although the reservation agents on the phone were more professional. I never complain about poor service, but this was such a bad experience, I wanted others to know what to expect. I am sure they will not change or improve their practices as a result of this review--they are not classy enough to do that. I just want warn others before they waste money! As others have said in these reviews (I wish I had read them), fly with a real airline. There motto is something like "Economy airline done right" - that is a huge joke. It is an example of just the opposite.
RouteSalt Lake City to Denver
Date FlownNovember 2017

"not going to fly Frontier anymore"

Not Verified | Denver to Los Angeles. So I’ve flown Frontier more than a couple times and I’m military so I come from Colorado Springs. Every single time we land in LAX we still end up waiting a full 40-60 mins to even dock. Never fails, always happens every single time. Can this airline not coordinate this better? Are they just lazy? Or are they just so cheap they can’t afford more docks for their own planes. Anyways, not going to fly Frontier anymore.
RouteDenver to Los Angeles
Date FlownNovember 2017

"should be fired if not retrained"

Trip Verified | Houston to Denver. Thanksgiving November 23, 2017 5am at the ticket counter. Got there 5 mins after 45 min cut off time for check bags but still plenty of time for the flight. Houston Intercontinental terminal A is relatively close to check in and gate. Frontier told us to take our checked bags through the TSA screening. Mins pass by as they consult if they can let the bag through. After viewing the x-ray back and forth they said I had to remove 5-10 items. By the time we got the ones that we needed to discard out our terminal gates closed right in front of our eyes. We were a family of 4 along with 8 other passengers were left stranded and all accounted for in front of the gate. Now tell me how does Frontier let this happen to 12 people on Thanksgiving Day? I called 801-401-9000 (frontier customer service) and customer service rep said “This May be a special day for you but it’s just another day for us at Frontier.” That really was the tipping point. We are all looking for a good deal but if the trade off is to be treated like you're non-existent is unacceptable. Their front counter staff to the customer service support number should be fired if not retrained. When you’re at the counter and the agent is more concerned with what’s going on in her Facebook and Snapchat to even look at you in the eye, you’re in trouble.
RouteHouston to Denver
Date FlownNovember 2017

"nickel and dime you for everything"

Not Verified | Raleigh Durham to Las Vegas. The flight was not that bad. For the price I paid it was worth it. If I have anything to complain about is the cost of inflight drinks. A small bottle of water or a can of soda for $3.00? That is a bit too extreme, and, if you don’t have a debit/credit card you’re out of luck. Aside from the above issues, my biggest complaint is that the seats don’t recline and that the airline nickel and dime you for everything. I will not get used to paying for a carry on bag.
RouteRaleigh Durham to Las Vegas
Date FlownOctober 2017

"I'm done flying Frontier"

Trip Verified | Omaha to San Francisco via Denver. Couldn't get a working boarding pass. After I checked in on your website using my laptop, I never got an email confirmation with a boarding pass as I do with all other airlines. So, I logged back in to your website and went to print the boarding pass, but since I didn't have a printer, I just took a screenshot and sent that to my phone. I arrived at the airport 45 minutes before the flight with just a laptop back. I thought I'd go to the check-in counter and get a proper boarding pass just in case, but the woman said that it was closed and she had no way to print a boarding pass. I checked my phone and it was exactly 45 minutes before the departure time. So, I went to security and tried to use my screen shot of the boarding pass and we couldn't make it work. I then went back to the website using my phone and I couldn't find any way pull up the boarding pass again. TSA said they couldn't let me in with a boarding pass that would scan. So, I went back down to the check-in counter and was told again that they had no way to print a boarding pass as they were completely locked out 45 minutes before the flight. And, the one self check-in kiosk was broken. The woman the check-in counter was absolutely unhelpful. Her only suggestion was that I buy a ticket for the United flight that was leaving 15 minutes later. I didn't even get a sincere apology. There was a guy standing around and I'm still not sure if he worked for Frontier or not as he didn't have a uniform, but he heard what was going on and suggested I install your app. After a few minutes getting that setup, I was finally able to get a boarding pass on my phone that worked and I made my flight just a couple of minutes before the doors closed. I've been flying 30 to 50 flights a year for the past 40 years and while I've had problems in the past, I've never seen such a complete breakdown of the check-in process as this. First, I should have received a boarding pass in my email (yes, you had the right email address and no it didn't go to my junk mail). Second, it's ridiculous that your agent can't print a boarding pass 45 minutes before a flight departs even when a customer is not checking a bag. Third, there should be at least one working kiosk that can print the pass. Fourth, there should be an obvious way to view the boarding pass on the website. I had been able to on my laptop by clicking the check-in button, but when I opened the browser on my phone, even though I had already checked in that button was disabled (I supposed again because of the 45 minute issue). I can't afford to miss flights because the airline can't figure out it's check-in system and I'm done flying Frontier.
RouteOmaha to San Francisco via Denver

"Does any airline care?"

Trip Verified | Houston to San Jose via Denver. We actually didn't fly. In Houston, we ran into a situation were all lanes of traffic were blocked. My husband had dropped his Driver's License in the San Jose International Airport, who'd sent us a picture and told us to arrive early for our return flight for extra screening on our return flight. Since the lanes were blocked, and there was no way around that, we pre-boarded while stuck on the road. After advising TSA that we would be late for our flight soon, they went into sloth-mode, calling a supervisor who didn't appear for 10 minutes. My husband provided the necessary alternative forms of ID listed on TSA's own requirements, and they proceeded to pat him down, etc. We ran, arriving at the Frontier gate to board 12 minutes before our flight was to depart. We were told the gate would close 10 min prior. There were no employees at the desk, and there was no way to reach them. We ran to the next gate and asked what to do. They told us to knock on the door to the gangway. We pounded on the door until we saw our plane take off. Then the employees came in, and we explained our situation. They offered to fly us out 2 days later. That was all they would offer. It took 2 minutes for them to make that decision, and they said they had no sister airline to accommodate us sooner. We offered to fly into San Francisco or Oakland. Still, they said, they had nothing. I called their call center at 5.40am, and spoke to another country who had nothing to offer, and didn't even check to see if there were earlier flights. This airline clearly wasn't trying to reschedule us, and did want to keep our money, which is what they did do. It doesn't behoove them to accommodate us, because they already have our money. We were forced to buy tickets on another airline for $700 in order to get home in time to meet our obligations of work and childcare in San Jose. Frontier doesn't care. TSA doesn't care. Does any airline care?
RouteHouston to San Jose via Denver

"absolutely terrible experience"

Not Verified | Orlando to Colorado Springs. From the start of this flight it was an absolute mess. I got to the airport for my 6:30 flight over 2 hours early. The line for luggage checking was ridiculously long with only 3 people checking bags. We were told only certain lines were for certain flights, but nothing was labeled so new people coming had no clue what they were supposed to do. One line they later said wasn't a line. When we got to the counter they told us we were in the wrong line (after having waited an hour). The desk staff was extremely rude and unorganized for such a large airport. Then at our gate, 20 min after boarding should have started they tell us the plane just landed from Cancun and there was a security check that would last at least 20 min. (Except the fact the plane was already at the gate 30 mins, or more before that) the flight was delayed over 45 min, for a 6:30am flight. What an absolutely terrible experience. I will never fly them again.
RouteOrlando to Colorado Springs

"they get you there"

Verified Review | Washington to Las Vegas via Denver. I describe Frontier Airlines as "they get you there". I say this because the planes are uncomfortable and the flight plans are pretty rough, especially if you are buying tickets during a promotion. The promotional times generally cover weekdays, less Friday. And the flight plans during those days generally involve stopping in Denver, which could be 1 hour or up to 3 hours. Denver airport is very big, and comfortable, but it is a pain to stopover for west-bound travel. I do recommend the cheap $20 travel insurance. There seems to be a high incidence of delays with flights. My flight from Las Vegas was delayed by a half hour because of crew issues. My flight from San Francisco the week prior was cancelled because of the pilot thinking there was a huge maintenance issue. The cancellation resulted in my wife and I getting $200 vouchers, which I guess was a result of having the travel insurance. $400 free, great. But now we have to fly with Frontier again, and I have to use the vouchers within 3 months of issuance (ugh). Frontier is a budget airline, and I get what that involves - fees for everything. I just wish that they would be a bit more focused on their budget status. Budget airline implies they want to fly as many minutes possible and be on the ground as few minutes as possible. Meaning, the quicker it takes to load the plane the more money they make since they can fly more. I would like to know if European airlines do this, but Frontier should be different from all the standard airlines and load the plane from the back first instead of by zone, mostly front first. Yes, I understand that this may result in the people who pay for seat upgrades (which are in the first 5 rows of the plane) to possibly lose the ability to stow their carry-on because of limited bin space, but perhaps they should force people who take the cheap option (like me) to check their baggage. Already there is a $5 incentive to check baggage when you buy tickets. It is usually $30 to carry-on a bag and $25 to check it. I chose to save those $5 and checked one big bag for my wife and I. They should make the incentive bigger for the cheap-minded passengers, like $15 or something because there are still too many people carrying bags on, and carry-ons slow down the boarding process. Perhaps they should setup a system wherein they limit the number of carry-on purchases based on bin space, with priority given to those who pay for seat upgrades. Like other budget airlines, everything comes at a cost - $10 for not printing a boarding pass at home (rarely enforced), cost for food on-board, cost for upgraded seats, cost for selecting a seat at check-in (if you must select a seat for free, you need to do it early and you are limited to the center seat in the last 10 rows or so). Just select no seat and let the system do it for you. The worst part of frontier is the seat. The width and the leg room are pretty standard, and the seat base cushion is fine, but the seat back is horrible. It is a layer of plastic covered by a thin layer of padding and then a thin layer of leather. And the backs don't recline. It is super uncomfortable to try sleeping. The trays are small, so good luck putting your head down. The next time I fly Frontier (which will be the last time I fly, thanks to the vouchers) I will pay for the seat upgrade to the front 5 rows which are more like Delta's seats, comfortable and they recline.
RouteWashington to Las Vegas via Denver