Etihad Airways

"all flights delayed"

Trip Verified | Heathrow to Kochi via Abu Dhabi. Worst flight ever: I was travelling with my wife and 2 kids. The flight was delayed by an hour from London and the same when landed in Abu Dhabi. There was no buggy available to take the passengers to the next transit area. We were literally running along with other passengers as we only had 45 minutes for all the procedures. When we had finished the transit procedures we were taken to the next flight in a bus packed with people. The worst bit was the next flight was again delayed by an hour after all that hassle. On our return the case was no different with all the flights being delayed. Even on the flight we had to wait 45 minutes for the trays to be cleared after meals were served. They didn't even bother to answer the call bell. Never again!
RouteHeathrow to Kochi via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownMay 2018

"leaves a lot to be desired"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Athens via Abu Dhabi. The quality of this airline leaves a lot to be desired. Customer service is virtually non-existent. Even as a Gold member flying Business Class who had spent $25,000 on seats, I was treated by Etihad staff, with utter contempt and disdain. I flew with 6 family members, 2 of whom were infants. We spent more than $25,000 and 400,000 miles on our seats We were all in Business Class. I have been a gold member of the Etihad Guest rewards programme for 3 years. Despite repeated calls to the customer service line before we boarded, they did not manage to sit us together. Furthermore, the cabin crew did not help us to sit near each other, refusing to ask other passengers to move, even though those passengers were flying alone. The plane on the Singapore to Abu Dhabi leg has been replaced. Rather than the B787 which Etihad is quick to pretend flies on this route, it has been replaced by the aged A330, in which the business class offering is old and outdated. The plane is loud and most of all, extremely hot. When I complained about the offering, I was told that "Etihad has the right to choose which planes it flies on its routes". That is of course fine, but when you go to book the ticket online, the website clearly states you are paying for a seat on the Boeing 787. The bassinet seat I was offered for my daughter was above my head. She was able to wriggle out of it, and nearly fell out. The customer services complaints officer has totally ignored my complaints and instead has either insinuated it is my fault or has said that I should have complained on the flight to the crew.
AircraftBoeing 787 /A330
RouteSingapore to Athens via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2018

"do not recommend flying with them"

Trip Verified | Washington to Bangkok via Abu Dhabi. I decided to go with them because they were cheaper. After my first flight with them, I should've paid more for world class service from Emirates or Qatar. The staff at the check in were unfriendly, the seat recline broke which forced me to push my seat with my back the whole 12 hour flight. This gave me back pain days after. I couldn't find a flight attendant to notify about the seat. Its not just their staff that arent attentive, its their whole policy towards their less opulent customers. It is really difficult to get in contact with their customer service. To "compensate customers" for a bad flight they give something called travel credits which are worthless to you unless you want to buy another flight or buy overpriced seat selections. I do not recommend flying with them until they see the importance of all their customers and improve their product and policy.
RouteWashington to Bangkok via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownMay 2018

"nothing but cost cutting"

Trip Verified | Paris to Sydney via Abu Dhabi. Such a Disappointment. I have flown Etihad business in the past and what a fall from grace. As a frequent flyer who flies internationally at least 6 times a year and often in business, flying with Etihad is mediocre at best. 4 years ago it was fantastic and couldn't be faulted but now it is very average and nothing special. I travelled on points this time. The points for this Etihad flight are 30 - 60K more than their competitors which is a lot for their entry level business class points tickets. The crew on the CGD to ABU were average and did nothing to make you feel special. The plane was older and nothing special. The food was seriously no better than economy and in fact I have had better food in economy on other airlines in the past. The main meal I had I couldn't eat due to the meat being so full of gristle. There was so little food as well. On the flight from ABU to Sydney I asked what time breakfast was so I could set an alarm to wake up. I was told that Etihad no longer serve breakfast. The reason, 'people are on different time zones'. I said to the hostess that this is ridiculous and it was nothing but cost cutting. I also asked has management changed because something is clearly happening with this airline. I was told it is under new management and the staff are bearing the brunt of disgruntled customers. Maybe this explains why you don't see them much anymore. I must say the hostess I spoke with was really trying and stated I could I lodge a formal complaint with her. I felt that this would possibly be more effective and seeing by the amount of complaints on this site, maybe I was wrong. With regard to breakfast, you can order from the all day menu which includes pastries (2 small), cereal, egg white omelette, noodles or a steak sandwich. You cannot get a real egg omelette and breakfast is lack lustre. The main meal (beef) was so bad again it couldn't be eaten. It was as tough as a brick. I was informed this is because everything is reheated. Food is very poor. Apart from the food, the staff are not often seen like in the past. A few years ago, travelling Etihad business was a treat. Staff were attentitive & polite, food was wonderful and business was worth the money and/or points. Now it's get on, get off. Having flown Premium with another airline late last year, I can honestly state that their Premium was far more superior than Etihad's business class. C
RouteParis to Sydney via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJuly 2018

"was very disappointing"

Trip Verified | Edinburgh to Brisbane via Abu Dhabi. Our flight both ways was very disappointing. The service was poor at best, staff quite rude, food scarce and of average quality and whatever you do, don’t dare ask for a second glass of wine on what is almost a 14 hour flight! Whilst we don’t expect much flying economy, basic service, respect and food would be an expectation. It’s back to other carriers for us.
RouteEdinburgh to Brisbane via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2018

"had friendlier crews on easyJet flights"

Trip Verified | Etihad is the epitome of 'okay'. The first leg of our flight was on a tired looking A330, the cabin of which was looking decidedly dated and the IFE hardware not particularly responsive. The flight attendants were not overly friendly or helpful which was fine but they did not give the impression of working for a premium, full-service airline and I've probably had friendlier crews on easyJet flights. The best that can be said for the meal on this flight was once again, okay, nothing to complain about but nothing exciting either. Although, the use of steel cutlery is nice to see. The primary benefit of transferring at Abu Dhabi is its small size meaning that its relatively easy to get from one gate to another for connections but it was also easy to tell how cramped and crowded it would be to spend more than an hour here for a stopover as the airport certainly needs to expand to meet demand. AUH's most interesting feature is its security policy whereby hand luggage is scanned and passengers made to go through metal detectors which every, single, person seemed to be setting off, including myself, despite having nothing on me and not having had any issues at EDI. This then means being patted down in a small curtained area with an unfriendly and unspeaking member of security staff. Not only this, but once passengers arrive at their gate everyone on our outbound flight (though only certain people on our return, we were waved through without searching strangely) was having their carry-on hand searched which seemed slightly excessive giving all the security measures passengers have already been through up to that point. The next leg of the trip was on a relatively new A380 which had a modern cabin and great IFE system despite the seats being uncomfortable this felt like a much better flight. The crew were marginally more friendly than the EDI-AUH leg but still did not go out of their way to be courteous or helpful for passengers. The most disappointing thing on this flight was the food, not its quality but lack of quantity. There are no menus in economy which is fine but would have been a nice touch. We were served a dinner after takeoff of which there were only two options left so I chose the pasta which was delicious and came with a salad, roll and small pudding. But during this 13 hour flight we were only given one more 'snack' of popcorn and then a breakfast of cinnamon roll and custard before landing in Sydney, at half past five in the evening. This was not enough food for the length of flight. Our return flights were of similar quality the only issue being the check-in staff at Sydney Kingsford Smith airport. Passengers were queuing for check in as it was shown as being open for this flight on the overhead monitors however, the ground staff were all standing behind one desk chatting, laughing, hugging each other and not one desk was open yet. After standing for half an hour and a now huge queue having developed with several people going over to ask what was going on check-in finally opened. Once we eventually got to the bag-drop counter we were greeted by an unfriendly man who answered my request to print off our boarding passes with 'obviously'. Not a good impression. Overall the experience of flying with Etihad was just fine, nothing more or less but I would definitely try another carrier for a long-haul flight before ever choosing them again as even though they were the cheapest option it certainly shows.
AircraftA330 / A380
RouteEdinburgh to Sydney via Abu Dhabi

"refused lounge access"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Heathrow via Abu Dhabi. Really disappointed with the customer service I have received today with Etihad as I have been refused lounge access as a silver member. It clearly states on the website "As an Etihad Guest Silver member, you also get lounge access, priority check in, 25% extra Tier Bonus Miles and so much more." Apparently this is only in Abu Dhabi so I asked if they would make an exception today as this clearly needs rectifying on the website but was still refused. I will now return to Emirates as their customer service far outweighs that of Etihad. I'm still shocked that they wouldn't let me in as a goodwill gesture and to keep me as a loyal customer in future.
RouteBrisbane to Heathrow via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2018

"Worst airline I have traveled"

Trip Verified | Delhi to Dublin via Abu Dhabi. Worst airline I have traveled. They don’t respond to your calls they have attitude problem if you ask for water, they say go and get it yourself we are busy - and what they were doing they were busy chatting and eating bananas. The worst part came when we were about to fly back from London to India my friends 2 year old baby started crying as he was not comfortable sitting with the belt so her mother took her into her lap - the air hostesses came and started shouting that you can’t do this the baby has to sit on chair with the belt. My friend told her get the extension and let him sit on my lap but she never agreed and forcefully held the baby and strapped the belt very tightly around him and he started crying loudly because of pain but she said let him cry but he will sit like that only. So my request to you guys kindly avoid this airline because of the discourteous and unprofessional staff.
RouteDelhi to Dublin via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2018

"Emirates is much better"

Not Verified | I was really looking forward to this flight as I was trying Etihad airways for the first time .Check in at Dammam was easy and the agent assigned me the emergency exit row seat for free but the boarding was not good as we waited in the jetway for 20 mins with no air-conditioning in the 45 C heat. The aircraft in the DMM-AUH sector was an old 320. A small snack was offered on that short flight and the IFE was unresponsive which annoyed me. We landed AUH on time but the connections in AUH is horrible. Very long queue for security check and I hated this terminal. The flight to BLR was delayed by 2 hrs because the aircraft arrived late. The boarding was extremely chaotic and there was no AC in the boarding area inspire of 46 C heat along with humidity later in the day. The aircraft was a newer A321 with good touchscreens but the selection of movies is not great The cabin service was good and food was excellent along with drinks offered. The downside was that one lavatory wasn't working which led to queue across the aisle .We landed 2 hrs later than our scheduled landing time .The cabin crew were really good. I expected more from this trip. Emirates is much better in almost all aspects.
AircraftA320 / A321
RouteDammam to Bengaluru via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJuly 2018

"the worst travel experience"

Trip Verified | Well, I have to say my recent flight from Melbourne to Frankfurt with Etihad was without a doubt the worst travel experience I have had, and I travel quite a lot. Not only did they not supply my requested vegan meals on either connection, on the second leg one of the cabin crew spilled very hot coffee on me. Of course accidents can happen but despite letting them know my arm was actually burnt and I needed something for it I had to ask 3 times and wait over 20 minutes before I was brought a poultice. The flowing days my arm was red and a small section blistered. Not supplying requested vegan meals appears to be pretty standard as exactly the same thing happened on the same route almost exactly a year ago, and my colleague who flew the same route in reverse also did not have his vegan meals supplied in March of this year. A complaint to the customer service team was met with a pathetic response - 3000 air miles as compensation. But my flights were booked with Virgin Australia where my air miles are based, and they were not transferable to this program. And what kind of totally inadequate compensation is 3000 air miles to me anyway? As a Gold Velocity member I expect better of both Virgin (whose response was also inadequate) and Etihad. I will never fly Etihad again, and this will have a flow on effect to Virgin as I shift my alliance to QANTAS and affiliated airlines.
RouteMelbourne to Frankfurt via Abu Dhabi