Etihad Airways

"Awful onboard service"

Verified Review | Kathmandu to Abu Dhabi. Booked seats were gone so I had to sit separate from my wife. Awful onboard service, it took more than 1.30h. before we got something to drink. After the meal the crew dissappeared and didn't came back. Nothing was served anymore. On arrival it took more than 20 mins before we could get out of the plane so we had only 1.15 hour transfer time left. When I got into the bus my wife was forbidden to join me because they said the bus was full which wasn't. It took 20 min before she arrived at the terminal. We were just in time to get our KLM flight to Amsterdam. KLM crew immediately gave us something to drink before take off when I told them about this bad experience. Unbelieveble that Etihad is a 5 Star airline.
RouteKathmandu to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"they have gone downhill"

Verified Review | Paris to Brisbane via Abu Dhabi. I have to share the sentiment of most of the recent reviews about Etihad posted here. I was happy to get an A380 from Paris to Abu Dhabi compared to a. ageing 777-300 I flew recently and then a 787 for the second flight. Both aircraft were nice and new but the service and food were just lacking. What was particularly frustrating was that the entertainment system offers a food and drink section but it was always unavailable and never worked on either flight. Food was average and as others said I wasn’t given a choice for the second meal on the Brisbane leg of the flight. The in-flight service was very disappointing as I rarely saw the flight attendants at all and I had to press the call button just to get a tiny cup of water. I have flown other airlines that have been very attentive but Etihad seem to train their staff to do as little as possible in order to save money on snacks and beverages. The entertainment on offer is also limited compared to other airlines. I’ve been with Qantas and Emirates who have a much wider variety of films and tv shows to watch than Etihad do. What also annoyed me is that on the Paris to Brisbane leg they locked the tinting on the windows so it was really dark on the aircraft despite being daytime. I was looking forward to seeing the beautiful Western Australian coastline from my seat but was prevented from doing this by the flight crew. I was unable to edit the window settings as they had been locked out. There does seem to be an element of cost cutting at play which has resulted in poor service. I feel that Etihad may have once been a good airline but they have gone downhill. Avoid and fly with someone else.
AircraftA380 / Boeing 787
RouteParis to Brisbane via Abu Dhabi

"More cost cutting?"

Verified Review | Bangkok to Dammam via Abu Dhabi. Below the better business class experience. After 1,5 hours airborne, meal service finally commenced. Annoyingly late when you want to catch up with some sleep too. The soup was tepid and the spoon missing, had to wait another five minutes to get cabin crew's attention. The pasta was dry. No refill of glasses, made it even more dry. Had to ask again and wait another ten minutes before the wine bottle came by. No amenity bag, but ear plugs offered on request! Cost saving measure? Cabin crew seemed to be a bit inexperienced and swamped. Not visible in cabin other when rushing back and forth to seats, which may explain they were on a minimum number. More cost cutting? The Miracle lounge prior to departure was okay, rather a bar with snacks than a fully fledged business lounge. The outbound flight was okay but not any of the "wow" experiences I have had in the past with other airlines. Altogether, not overly impressed. I could recommend compared to KLM or any American airline, but compared to Singapore Airlines and Qatar Airways, no.
RouteBangkok to Dammam via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"not considering Etihad for future travel"

Verified Review | Manchester to Brisbane via Abu Dhabi. MAN-AUH in a dated Boeing 777-300. Check in at Manchester slow as many passengers were travelling with "several" bags plus a lot of "carry on" was being physically checked for weight & size. Uncomfortable seat with legroom, IFE and food just average - no idea what was on offer foodwise until given choice by flight attendant - and for 2nd meal there was no choice. Even though in transit at AUH there were still 2 security checks - 1 whilst transferring between arrival and departure areas and another at the actual gate. Abu Dhabi to Brisbane in a relatively recent 787 but again the comments re legroom, seat and food still applicable although screen for IFE on 787 a vast improvement on 777. Will not be considering Etihad for future travel.
AircraftBoeing 777-300 / 787-9
RouteManchester to Brisbane via Abu Dhabi

"incompetent boarding crew"

(Poland)

Verified Review | Abu Dhabi to Warsaw via Minsk. Most incompetent boarding crew ever. I had no check-in baggage with me on this flight. During boarding in Abu Dhabi my hand luggage was taken from me by the cabin crew due to lack of space in passengers compartment. When luggage was confiscated in Abu Dhabi I was not provided with any luggage-ticket. I did not know if the bag will land in main trunk or maybe the crew will manage to compact it somewhere in passengers compartments. Only information that I was discarded by the crew was negligible "you will find your bag after landing". After landing I approached again one crew member and asked him about my bag. He instructed me to proceed to the airport "and I will find it on the belt". I was transferring in Minsk to another airline, and there is no belt for transferring baggage. Airport staff was helpless as well. Eventually I received my baggage after two days in my destination airport after frantic private phone investigation at airlines and airports. The issue was created by negligence of Etihad staff consisting either of following: - assuming that there are no transfer passenger and sending all collected bags to final belt, not providing any receipt for collected baggage, taking no action in request to return of find missing baggage. I cannot imagine how "professional" airline as Etihad allow for such simple mistakes of the crew, eventually resulting traumatic experience of passengers. Additionally my seat had not working audio input.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Warsaw via Minsk
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Seat is quite comfortable"

Verified Review | Flew Etihad Airways from Abu Dhabi to Melbourne. Seat 41K is on the main deck, 2nd row. Due to the tapering of the plane the space on the window side is narrow. Due to the stairs to upper deck there are no middle seats, giving this row a bit more privacy and quietness. Seat is quite comfortable, although a bit narrow and could do with an extra inch of leg space. Entertainment system has a big screen with good resolution. In seat power available. Food is very average and supply is limited (just 2 meals for a 13 hours flight).
AircraftA380-800
RouteAbu Dhabi to Melbourne
Date FlownOctober 2017

"problems seem to have hit very hard"

Verified Review | Bangkok to Abu Dhabi. Flew Emirates in September, and this return on Etihad was simply awful. Their financial problems seem to have hit very hard and resulted in a poor flight. Staff seem very demoralised and unhappy and not afraid to show this in their lack of service. Service was more than on-demand - it was close to non-existent if you did not demand it several times and never seen such a lazy bunch of cabin staff. Food was in miniscule portions and not very good, and don't think about asking for pajamas, they told us that all the nice items had been cut by management after their problems. I will avoid Etihad in future.
Date FlownOctober 2017

"First class seat is such a big disappointment"

(Saudi Arabia)

Verified Review | Etihad have this system that you can bid on a flight upgrade and I decided to give this a go and got upgraded to First Class on my Melbourne to Abu Dhabi flight. Cabin had only 8 seats and you had good privacy. The staff were very professional in catering to your needs. Food was very well prepared and tasted good, you could eat whenever you needed which is a given in this class of cabin. The First class seat is such a big disappointment as its only on a par with Qatar's business class seat. No mattress was offered, no proper pillow either and these seats have aged a lot, it was very uncomfortable lying down I hardly got any sleep. Again TV on demand was only average compared to Qatar and Emirates and we are talking first class here. I don't think its worth the upgrade from the business class offering but at least you are given the chance to bid which is fun.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteMelbourne to Abu Dhabi

"Horrible economy class"

Verified Review | Sydney to Manchester via Abu Dhabi. Horrible economy class experience onboard Etihad Airways. The service was very bad, the cabin crew did not show the service standard that they should have, no menu provided. After the meal service, there are no water services. The configuration of 777W is horrible, the economy class seat was old and uncomfortable. The meals tasted alright but there is not enough food for the flight from Sydney to Abu Dhabi as the flight is around 14 hours. There is no choice for the second meal service.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteSydney to Manchester via Abu Dhabi

"worst experience ever"

Verified Review | Ho Chi Minh City to New York via Abu Dhabi. Stay, stay away from Etihad at all costs. I had one single trip booked from SGN to JFK, with worst experience ever in my almost 30 years of flying. I've read good stories and recommendations on Etihad, and conveniently there was a good flight from SGN to JFK with one stop at (Abu Dhabi) a very convenient time at 8:00pm, arriving around 10am at JFK. Flight got cancelled and booked for another flight 9 hours later: aircraft issue - understandable. I was offered hotel and rides back and forth upon my arrival at the airport - still understandable. I did not take this offer because I wanted to spend more time with my family. Due to this flight delay, my whole itinerary changed: SGN-AUH-IAD-JFK. There was another flight straight from AUH-JFK but regretfully missed by few min, but they weren't going to let me on that plane anyway - I paid for a one stop flight. I was boarding for flight from AUH and heard an Etihad staff yelling at a passenger in a line to move away? The passenger looked so dumbfounded. Extremely unprofessional behavior. Arrived and found out flight was cancelled from IAD to JFK. They did not offer me hotel (did offer a discounted rate), nor another method of ride to JFK that night. Had a meeting at work the next morning, how inconveniently arrived just a night before the meeting due to delays and cancellations. Therefore, I decided to take a train, but I had to wait for my luggage at an office, and the lady there, who was associated with JetBlue, got me on a free shuttle from IAD to JFK (Which I truly appreciated). Overall, my flight was extended by 12 hours, arrived 15+ hours later than expected, extra costs I spent at the airport. After this incidence, I requested for a refund of my ticket or at least get compensated for the cancelled flight that I never took and for the major changes (one stop flight -> two stops). They did offer me some compensation after 2 months, and I received 15,000 miles on Etihad. I can't even go anywhere with 15,000 miles. I argued that I deserve more, but they reviewed and concluded that was enough for me, they said. I received the miles just because I might be able to transfer these miles to another airlines that I take, if not, it's just going to rot there. I will never be taking Etihad again, and will strongly recommend against it. Just thinking about my experience with Etihad makes me so angry..
RouteHo Chi Minh City to New York via Abu Dhabi