Etihad Airways

"another disappointing experience"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Abu Dhabi. Yet another disappointing experience on Etihad. Even though I boarded 30 minutes before take off, the front door was closed already and I had to be in the queue with all other passengers. I was neither accompanied to my seat (2K) nor formally greeted and welcomed back on board even though this should be standard procedure when traveling First. There were neither German newspapers nor any magazines on board, finally a newspaper from the day before was offered to me. My dinner-choice was not available any more and this flying 1st class and being a platinum member with Etihad. Since I opted for fish the only offer I got was the salmon from business-class instead the cod from First. The ‘new’ amenity-kit was another disappointment. While it’s still the same cheap plastic-kit in a fake (now blue instead of black) leather look, the quality and number of items inside have been reduced and the nice little pouch containing skin care products disappeared. Not even a razor is supplied any more. It now basically contains only what the Etihad former business-class kit contained (which has been discontinued). The whole flight through I was never addressed by name, drinks have been only re-filled upon request and even for a hot towel after dinner I had to ask for. Upon arrival we could not de-board first (door 2 was opened first) and were brought late to the arrival hall in an overcrowded economy-class bus. At least passport control was fast and all my bags were on the belt when I finally arrived there.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteFrankfurt to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Very good inflight entertainment"

Trip Verified | Abu Dhabi to Paris. The aircraft took off 5 minutes before scheduled and arrived 25 minutes before scheduled landing time. So, enough time for transit in Paris Charles de Gaulle airport. Very good in flight entertainment system, should be turn on from embarkation to disembarkation. In flight meals should have been served in accordance with landing area local time, and not 1 hour after take off.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteAbu Dhabi to Paris

"A big choice of films"

Trip Verified | Paris to Abu Dhabi. The aircraft took off at time and arrived 15 min before scheduled time of arrival in Abu Dhabi. A big choice of films for inflight entertainment. In flight meal: medium taste and tray too small. Lunch served 1hr after take off and nothing before arrival (landing time at 8.10pm). The lunch could have been served in accordance with landing area local time.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteParis to Abu Dhabi

"disgraceful cost cutting"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Abu Dhabi. Worst Business Class experience ever! To begin with, Etihad hands out amenity kits to its business class passengers on select routes only, BKK-AUH not being one of those routes. What a disgraceful cost cutting measure. Meal service was lousy. The main dish was lukewarm, my wine glass not refilled once and when the flight attendant took my plate away, she did not even ask if I wanted cheese or dessert. Same flight attendant had to be reminded to return my garment bag to me after landing which she had stored in a closet before take-off. I have been flying with Etihad for many years now. The decline from first to last in class is truly amazing. I am beginning to understand the deeper meaning of their slogan "flying re-imagined"!
RouteBangkok to Abu Dhabi

"overall great experience"

Trip Verified | Ho Chi Minh City to Edinburgh via Abu Dhabi. I was very impressed with Etihad Airways. The flight was delayed due to weather, so I missed my connecting flight (also Etihad Airways) but the airline had re-routed me onto another flight to reach our destination. My baggage arrived at my final destination on time, without any issues, despite the delays, missed connections, change of route etc. The staff were very friendly,. The seats were comfortable, food was good, and overall great experience! Would fly with them again.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Edinburgh via Abu Dhabi

Etihad Airways customer review

Trip Verified | Mumbai to Johannesburg via Abu Dhabi with my parents. The flight Mumbai to Abu Dhabi was supposed to be operated by Jet airways at around 5:05 am. The flight was cancelled due to the runway problem caused by heavy rainfall in Mumbai. After informing, both the airlines tried to avoid the issue by sending us to the counters of other airways. The only thing Etihad did just provide us the customer care phone number in India. I came to know the customer care was unable to re-schedule the tickets until they receive the confirmed report about the flight cancellation from their partner airways (Jet). We really surprised after knowing that customer service can only re-schedule the tickets in normal office hour, even after such kind of emergency. We managed to receive the re-scheduled tickets after 5 hours. Meanwhile, I sent an email to Etihad for the re-scheduled tickets at 6:50 am. Till today, I did not get any response. I lodged the complaint to the Etihad feedback) on 10th Oct 2017. I received the reply on 13th Oct from the Etihad guest relation officer who insisted me to liaise directly with Jet Airways (Note that I lodged the complaint to Jet airways on 3rd Oct and were not interested to discuss the concerns I raised. I am waiting for the correspondence from Etihad till today but Etihad is trying to ignore the issue and insisting to deal with their partner airline. 2. My parents were returning from Cape Town on 31st Oct 2017 and reached Mumbai on 1st Nov 2017. The wheelchair facilities were booked for them in Johannesburg and Abu Dhabi airport for transfer. They did not get the facilities in Abu Dhabi airport. We are waiting for the response from Etihad after lodging the complaint on 5th Nov 2017.
RouteMumbai to Johannesburg via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"more like 3 stars?"

Verified Review | Sydney to Paris via Abu Dhabi. How does Etihad get 5 stars rating, when their true standards are more like 3 stars? I chose them because they were the cheapest ticket (even less than China South Airlines!), but wish I had paid more. Seats were truly cramped, and the aircraft looked tattered but worse it was quite dirty. Bathrooms were disgusting near the end of the second flight. Food portions very small and cabin attendants seemed very unhappy to be serving (or not!). Used Qatar Airways last February and they are so much better.
RouteSydney to Paris via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2017

"needs to improve the cleanliness"

Verified Review | New York to Colombo return via Abu Dhabi. Colombo to Abu Dhabi on a small A320 aircraft. The economy class was over 90% full and it was very hot. I informed to a flight stewardess. She offered me another seat by the emergency exit row, which did not make any difference. Return flight from Abu Dhabi to New York was not a full flight yet it took nearly half an hour for the cabin crew to respond after hitting the button. Finally, we ended up walking to their kitchen every time we needed water. Food from JFK to AUH, the dinner was awful. Coming back to JFK from AUH, the food was excellent! Etihad did not offer me a choice of food for breakfast. Etihad needs to improve the cleanliness of their economy class cabin. Etihad could offer wifi onboard for free or at least improve the service. I purchased 5MB for 30 mins for $4.95 but it lost the connection within the first five minutes, while I still had 4.8MB left. Very disappointing!
AircraftA380 / A320
RouteNew York to Colombo via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2017

"very unhappy with this behavior"

Verified Review | Dusseldorf to Phuket via Abu Dhabi. Several people in Etihad’s customer service (by email and on the hotline) gave us different answers. This is disappointing and confusing for us. Several times their customer service confirmed to accept our ticket via email on 20.08 and hotline on 07.11 that we will able to check in. They booked us into their system (however only the return flight instead of both flights). After we called customer service on 07.11 again, Etihad employee sent us a ticket (both ways), and confirmed again that with this ticket we will be able to check into our flight. Since on 10.11. one flight was still not visible on Etihad website, we called the hotline again. We were then informed that they won't accept our ticket. We are left confused if Etihad will honor their previous promises. Also we are very unhappy with this behavior. If they make promises they should keep them. If they don't intent to keep promises then better don't make any promise at all. Now we have buy new tickets shortly before we fly, which are very expensive now, comparing to 3 months ago. I already contacted the consumer protection organisation about this topic. Also I want to warn other potential customers to be very cautious before putting trust into them by sharing my story.
RouteDusseldorf to Phuket via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2017

"No responses yet after 3 weeks"

(Slovenia)

Verified Review | Bangkok to Belgrade via Abu Dhabi. This is not review about the flight itself but the customer service and the user experience. The problem for me started when I arrived at the airport and they noticed that my wife switched my name and surname when registering the ticket. They notified me that the ticket is invalid and I cannot use it at all. I had to buy a new ticket which cost me 2x more than the one I already had. Since the problem was that only name and surname were switched, this is something that is totally unacceptable to me. When I arrived at Bangkok I tried to get in touch with the airline to learn if I can be at least partly refunded for the ticket that I was not able to use. On the web they say to contact them over Facebook page so I did. The response on the messenger took a few hours but they said to send the question over email. So I did. No responses after 5 days. I found online also the email address to where I wrote the same question. No responses yet after 3 weeks except the autoreply that they will look into my request. After not getting any response I tried also calling them. Their phone service is terrible. You are guided through multiple level of selections such as "for english press 1", "if you bought your ticket online press 1". At the deepest level you always reach a stage where they say they explain that you should find you answer somewhere else and that the call will now end. Horrible service, especially since these are all international calls. At just one of these deepest levels I was able to finally get a person to whom I was able to speak. They explained to me that the ticket cannot be refunded and that I can even be happy that they don't charge me additional money for not showing up. The last straw for my dissatisfaction with the airline was the checking in to return back home. I tried to check in online one day before and all seats were already marked as non-available. I assumed I simply need to choose the seat when I check in at the counter. I was one of the first people at the counter 4 hours before the flight. The person who checked me in was a trainee without any experience. She said that there are no seats available anymore next to the window on the two connected flights that I had with the airline. This is simply unbelievable and it's simply a way for them to charge additional money for people being able to choose seats.
RouteBangkok to Belgrade via Abu Dhabi