Etihad Airways

"never set foot on them again"

(Bahrain)

Trip Verified | Bahrain to Dublin via Abu Dhabi. Arrived at Bahrain check In due to a taxi confrontation at 16.30 for a 17.20 departure to be met at business class check in by a yawning woman swirling in her chair saying flight closed. To which I replied actually business class is 45 mins before departure, I was dutifully informed I was wrong. What would I know only being a gold member and flying them 10 years. Asked to speak to the Etihad manager, told he was busy Demanded she call him, she then did and said closed. Told to go to Economy desk manager, hauled three suitcases about another 5-6 minutes to have the manager play with his phone and say call the call centre - 16.41 flight closed. Call Centre agent very hospitable asks to speak to handling agent. Then told you can fly as you've already checked in but the bags cant, but can go on the next flight. Asked can they follow on, told no by handling agent - no communication. Long story short CC agent stated as you have already checked in tell him to place the baggage on the next flight. He refused, Then told I am a non show so ticket cancelled Called the CC 4 times, told they would call me back finally one lady took control and I was asked to pay to change the flight to a flight at 04.30 am. So in the airport for 12 hours. The cc agent reverted that the Etihad manager in Bah who never answered his phone once, stated that I was in the airport at 16.50 , basically calling me a liar. It is now 21.20 , No flght confirmed , sitting in the airport now 4 hours, no update, no flight. I will never set foot on them again, worst experience in travel in 20 years. Liars, incompetence and most unprofessional organisation in a long time. My loyalty is done, shame on you.
RouteBahrain to Dublin via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2018

"treat customers so badly"

Not Verified | I dont understand why is this day of age, with so much airline competition and Etihad constantly devaluing their brand how they can treat customers so badly. My wife and I are both Etihad Gold and have used Etihad Business Class frequently in the last 4 years. We convinced our parents to join our Etihad family account over British Airways and 1 year later the points from their flight have still not credited. You have really let us down with terrible customer service. All we get back for the last 8 months is "we apologize that its taking longer". How is it even possible for points to take nearly 1 year to credit? What happens to the expiry date if they finally turn up? It is so disappointing that I will never recommend Etihad again.
RouteJohannesburg to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownNovember 2017

"regarding carry on weight"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Abu Dhabi. Worst customer service in the check in point. They gave us a hell of time regarding carry on weight. In our flight they have these seats with better leg room and they won't let us move to it, they leave it vacant rather than giving it to us.
RouteLos Angeles to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJune 2018

"didn't help me find my bag"

Trip Verified | Abu Dhabi to Cairo. Etihad lost my bag in February and didn't try to help me find my bag or compensate me till today. I went to the airport 4 times in Cairo and 4 times in Abu Dhabi. Etihad staff in Cairo they kept telling me Abu Dhabi Staff lost it and they didn't load it from there. When I contacted Etihad staff in Abu Dhabi airport they said Etihad staff they lost it in Cairo. Shame on you - for me you lost my bag, I don't care which destination did.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Cairo
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"taken cost cutting too far"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Paris via Abu Dhabi. I have been flying to Paris every year for the last 12 years. Never have I been so hungry on the plane! Standards have gone down so much! On a 13 hr flight, we got served 1 main meal and then nothing for 7hrs. Not even a small snack. For 7hrs they did not even go around with a tray of drinks! There was nothing made available in the galley. No menu. In previous years they would hand out a menu. Not anymore. So they go around and say "Chicken or lamb" up to you to work out what it is served with. No cheese, no bread roll. This is cost cutting taken to the extreme. You will also not see any wines or spirit on the trolley, by hiding it they certainly hope to reduce cost. (Remember you have no menu to see what alcohol is on offer) Small toilet bag is now an extra at $22usd (from memory). This used to be complimentary. This was my last flight with Etihad. They have taken cost cutting too far.
RouteSydney to Paris via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownMay 2018

"flight was punctual and safe"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Abu Dhabi. Even if the Check-In was pretty fast the staff was unpolite and hard to understand. Boarding however was starting early and as a result of it it was completed 10 minutes prior departure. In my opinion the Economy of Etihad is good. Entertainment has a huge variety. The flight crew was alright however the scale is -1 since several crew members were busy checking their whatsapp messages instead of saying goodbye to the passengers upon arrival to AUH. Food was very acceptable and drinks have been served 3 times and at any time at your seat if you called them. Eventually the seat was comfortable with beyond standard space. The flight was punctual and safe.
RouteFrankfurt to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownMay 2018

"Just awful customer service"

Trip Verified | London to Mumbai via Abu Dhabi. I flew to Mumbai in February 2017 and submitted a retro claim for the air miles. This claim was submitted only 9 days after the flight but Etihad guest failed to credit the miles. When preparing for another trip to India this year I noticed only then that my guest miles were too low, the legitimate claim for my previous journey had not been applied. I rang customer services who understood my situation and could see my claim on the system, they emailed the retro claim department and suggested I do the same attaching the original claim email. I received an email saying simply that because the flight was more than 6 months ago the miles cannot be credited. I appealed; I once again attached a copy of original claim, and got exactly the same response. I spoke to customer services again. They seemed incredulous that this could not be resolved as it was their error, and they sent another message to the retro claims department. I appealed again myself. And got another email saying the claim is over 6 months old so tough luck. I complained. And received yet another email worded exactly the same as the others! No apology! No acknowledgement of their error! Not even a recognition that my claim was submitted correctly within the 6 month period! No explanation of how my legitimate claim was not processed correctly in the first place! No suggestion of how else this matter could be resolved or compensated for! Just awful customer service.
RouteLondon to Mumbai via Abu Dhabi

"crew were not friendly"

Trip Verified | Karachi to Los Angeles via Abu Dhabi. The seats were very uncomfortable and small. The food was worst. They skipped breakfast. I asked why they did not serve breakfast, there was no answer. On a 16 hour flight from Abu Dhabi to Los Angeles, they served a meal twice times and the second meal was served only at the last moment. The sandwich served between the two meals was not edible due to very poor quality. We were hungry throughout the flight. There was no backup plan. There was no fruit basket during the flight while the crew were enjoying eating fruit. The crew were not friendly and had no sense of care for the passenger. If a passenger is hungry or not able to eat their low-quality food, they had no issue.
RouteKarachi to Los Angeles via Abu Dhabi

"Very unprofessional"

Trip Verified | New York to Cairo via Abu Dhabi. Very unprofessional. They changed my checked in seats and had to fight in both flights to sit next to my wife. They put us all the way at the end of the business class next to the kitchen. 11 hours of kitchen noises / flight attendants in and out. We felt so much pressure just talking to many people in order to get your service done. Food was average. Breakfast was not offered and I guess you have to ask them. I have been through many airlines flying first and business class, I never experienced such unprofessionalism. Filed a complaint, no one even bother to contact.
RouteNew York to Cairo via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownMay 2018

"never fly with Etihad again"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Heathrow via Abu Dhabi. I am very unhappy with the airline website and their chaotic seating selection and bidding system for upgrades. I am an older flier and the seat comfort and accessibility is very important to me, but you are unable to book seats until 48 hours before take off, which I think is unacceptable. In addition to this you can bid for upgrades or neighbour free seats. We did this and were offered neighbour free seats on the Abu Dhabi to London leg of the flight, which were subsequently withdrawn. In the meantime we had paid for extra leg room seats and charged for these. On check in we did not have the extra leg room seats, and had been allocated individual seats in different sections of the cabin. The ground crew person at check in could not change this, so we were told to go to the transfer desk in Abu Dhabi where we were given the neighbour free seats we had asked for. It has since taken me 2 months to get a refund of the first seats. In general the seats were very cramped and uncomfortable, and on the first section of our journey we had no option but to sit in an ordinary seat. We are also vegetarian and I ordered an Asian vegetarian meal which is normally acceptable on most flights, however it was very poor. My husband found his lactose-ovo meal disgusting, and could not eat it. Abu Dhabi airport is also awful. It is cramped and scruffy with hardly any comfortable seating, and extortionately expensive food. I will never fly with Etihad again.
RouteBangkok to Heathrow via Abu Dhabi