Etihad Airways

"Will never use again"

Trip Verified | Riyadh to Tokyo via Abu Dhabi. Airline staff forced me to check a bag that was carry on size, resulting in a $320 baggage fee. Bag’s handle was destroyed in route, so I contacted their customer service. Representative was unhelpful and I wasn’t given so much as sky miles for my damaged bag. Will never use again.
RouteRiyadh to Tokyo via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJuly 2018

"the worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Athens to Brisbane via Abu Dhabi. Etihad has the worst customer service I have ever received. They overbooked our flight from Abu Dhabi to Brisbane, and the man who was telling us this was smirking the entire time. They were all very rude and not one person apologised for the overbooked flight. This route is a once a day flight so we had to wait over 2 hours for our bag to get back to us before they put us up in a 3 star hotel. I would never fly Etihad again based on this experience. No apology and no refund and the flight tickets were not cheap either. Avoid!
RouteAthens to Brisbane via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJuly 2018

"disgusting food, poor service"

Trip Verified | Abu Dhabi to Bangkok. This is a general review, I use Etihad quite often because it operates from my home city and the airmiles accrued through my credit card give me Gold Class membership which allows Business Class service prior to boarding the flight. About 8-10 years ago Etihad was my favourite airline edging out Emirates, Singapore and Qatar. It has steadily deteriorated since that point and for the last few years has felt like a budget airline. It feels like everything is run for the benefit of the airline and the customer is just a cash cow. It is the only airline I now that regularly boards the passengers one hour and 15 minutes before scheduled departure and is almost always late to depart. My last few flights menat that we were boarded almost two hours before take off and that makes a long haul flight that much more uncomfortable. During the two hour wait there are no refreshments and no entertainment. Two bum numbing hours without even a view out of the window as distraction. The refreshements seem to be fewer and further between, even the in seat call button frequently fails to get a response. During my last flight, the meal options were beef, chicken or vegetarian when I asked what the dishes were I was told again 'beef or chicken' I eventually established it was beef and rice or chicken and rice (I didn't ask about the vegetarian option). Airline food is universally mocked for being generally unpalatable but I remember that several years ago Etihad in-flight food as being something that I actually looked forward to. The food on my last flight (Bangkok - Abu Dhabi) was amongst the very worst I have ever had and I left all but small sample bites from the dishes. I also noticed on my last trip that Etihad are now offering an option to buy extra food items. A five star premium airline that sells snacks!! I'm sure that the decline in quality of the food and the introduction of paid for snacks is no coincidence. The entertainment system is still very good but it is switched off unceremoniously about 30 minutes before landing. Some airlines have the entertainment available from the moment you sit down until the time to leave and when I enquired why this isnt possible with Etihad I was told it was for safety reasons. Maybe Etihad have different safety regulations to other Middle East carriers but I suspect that it is so they can collect in the headsets early - which summarises the apparent Etihad policy of prioritising airline convenience over customer comfort. At every stage it seems that costs have been cut and cut and cut and has turned what once was a premium airline which was a pleasure to fly with, into a hollowed out shell with stressed staff, disgusting food, poor service, scant regard for customer comfort and an unwavering eye on the bottom line. In short a budget airline in all but name and price. Think twice before using this airline.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Bangkok
Date FlownJuly 2018

"departure and arrival was spot on"

(Saudi Arabia)

Trip Verified | Short flight from Bahrain to Abu Dhabi and the plus side was the departure and arrival was spot on so no worries on connecting flights having issues. Service inflight was quite efficient with a clean Cabin. Let’s hope scheduled timing is kept up.
RouteBahrain to Abu Dhabi

"never fly Etihad again"

Trip Verified | Abu Dhabi to London. Worst airline ever. Aircraft was way too cold. No way for any passenger to control air con. In flight entertainment was lacking, Emirates and Saudi Airlines far better! The cabin crew who were over stretched for the amount of passengers. Would never fly Etihad again. In flight meal was lacking badly. It’s a shame it won’t let me leave a 0 out of 10!
RouteAbu Dhabi to London
Date FlownJuly 2018

"baggage policy is ridiculous"

Trip Verified | London to Bangkok via Abu Dhabi. First and last time I will ever fly with Etihad. Their baggage policy is ridiculous even if you are just a little bit over the allowance they will charge you extra. It's as if they get commission on these extra charges. They weigh and add every bit of luggage you have even carrier bags that might contain a jacket! Lots of passengers packing and re-packing to meet the weight guidelines. The food selection is bad. Good entertainment system altho it suddenly stops 30 minutes before landing. All other airlines entertainment you can play right until taxiing. Avoid Etihad.
RouteLondon to Bangkok via Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJuly 2018

"considered a low cost airline"

Not Verified | I traveled Perth to Rome via Abu Dhabi at the beginning of July alone with a one year old baby. I travel to Italy once a year and i usually go with Emirates or Qatar. This time I chose Etihad mainly because of the inflight nanny service. This service wasn't available on my flight and only found out on the day I flew out. The planes were both very uncomfortable, and no comfort kit or baby toys were offered (as Emirates and Qatar do). Although I requested baby food, nothing was provided. During the flight no one of the staff came and asked if I, a mum traveling solo with a young child, needed help. (Last year Qatar flight attendants came several times making sure all was good and gave me baby food, toys and a pouch with baby lotions and nappies). The food for adults was barely edible and there was no meal choice. I think Etihad has to be considered a low cost airline not a 5-star and should definitely cost less, much less as it is so bad. Not worth the money! It cost more than Emirates and Qatar but it's worth zero compared to them. I will never choose Etihad again or recommend it.
RoutePerth to Rome via Abu Dhabi

"Very bad experience"

Trip Verified | Abu Dhabi to London. Very bad experience with Etihad. Not enough cabin crew for flight, air conditioning is not through individual vents like other A380s, cabin crew are very rude. IFE system is not up to date & not a lot of choice, no food menu offered (when compared to other Arab carriers menu offered). 4 toilets were not working on this flight. I have no intentions of flying Etihad again. Overall very poor.
RouteAbu Dhabi to London
Date FlownJuly 2018

"severely overbook all flights"

Trip Verified | Belgrade to Brisbane via Abu Dhabi. In short, Awful. 100% Do not book Etihad if you are traveling too or from Australia. So the flight from Belgrade to Abu Dhabi. Underwhelming. In flight food lacking (a meal 30mins into the 7 hour flight and no more). Upon arrival at Abu Dhabi I was told I wouldn't be on my booked flight because it was badly overbooked and I had no choice. I was also told next time to get to the airport earlier. And no, I was on another Etihad flight was not a good enough excuse. I was simply told it's policy for Etihad to severely overbook all flights involving Australia (apparently there is not legal rules in Australia against this unlike in the EU and USA). And my absolute favourite, It is not Etihad policy to take complaints unless it's an email. I begged them to talk to someone now, I told them I had work and would miss important meetings and lose money I needed to live. They told me it doesn't matter to them. After lengthy complaining I was told they could give me a gift voucher and a window seat. Pathetic. My 1 hour stop over has become 25. Not sure how I'll explain delays to work.
RouteBelgrade to Brisbane via Abu Dhabi

"all flights delayed"

Trip Verified | Heathrow to Kochi via Abu Dhabi. Worst flight ever: I was travelling with my wife and 2 kids. The flight was delayed by an hour from London and the same when landed in Abu Dhabi. There was no buggy available to take the passengers to the next transit area. We were literally running along with other passengers as we only had 45 minutes for all the procedures. When we had finished the transit procedures we were taken to the next flight in a bus packed with people. The worst bit was the next flight was again delayed by an hour after all that hassle. On our return the case was no different with all the flights being delayed. Even on the flight we had to wait 45 minutes for the trays to be cleared after meals were served. They didn't even bother to answer the call bell. Never again!
RouteHeathrow to Kochi via Abu Dhabi