China Southern Airlines

Review by (Australia)

We flew on 22/8/2015 Guangzhou to Sydney, and I have nothing but praise for the quality of the flight in the staff on the flight. On internal flights within China we felt that we were treated poorly by staff, but on this flight they went out of their way to provide us with an outstanding service. This sort of service will attract more westerners to their business class. The seats and the conversion to a very comfortable flat bed made the flight a pleasure. Plane was in excellent condition and the toilets and other amenities were clean and well kept, and food was some of the best I have experienced on an airline.

Review by (Australia)

China Southern Airlines Business class lounge in Guangzhou Baiyun Airport was extremely hot. The lounge staff explain the air conditioning was operated by the Airport company, and that China Southern Airlines have no control. It might be true, but that is not acceptable for passengers. Onboard, the business class service is okay - it could be better, more efficient and quicker response or more staff. The overall experience is not bad, good value for business class ticket.

China Southern Airlines customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

Amsterdam to Beijing with China Southern. For a 9 hours flight I found it mostly enjoyable. The food was good, leg room is fair for economy class. However, there are a few down factors, such as everyone is trying to rush on flights to get the cabin storage, and if you are not fast enough, it might run out and sometimes your carry on and your seat is very far away or sometime you have to have your suitcase checked. The online entertainment is not very entertaining. The movies are out of date. There is one more down side, which is the in-between meal snack was very limited.
Cabin FlownEconomy
RouteAmsterdam to Beijing

Review by (Australia)

Unlike our international flight with China Southern Airlines, this domestic Xi'an to Guangzhou flight was disappointing, with staff seemingly not interested. The flight was late, and the food very ordinary. If China Southern Airlines wants more western passengers, it needs to lift its standards on these domestic flights.
RouteXi'an to Guangzhou

Review by (Australia)

I flew from Guangzhou to Sydney on 20th August. The seat in Premium economy was very comfortable and the cabin crew were attentive and helpful. There was plenty of variety with the in-flight entertainment and it included the latest movies. Not many options with the meals but other than that they are quite tasty. Ground service was very efficient, it only took me 10 minutes for my luggage to arrive.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy

Review by (China)

China Southern Airlines from Guangzhou to Beijing. Flight relatively on time. Very comfortable seat in the business class of the A380. Breakfast choices were good from European to Chinese dim sum. Cabin crew were helpful. Only negative point was the waiting time before docking at the terminal seemed very long and it was not the first time this happened on my recent flights to PEK.
RouteGuangzhou to Beijing

Review by (China)

Flew the 14.5 hour non-stop from New York JFK to Guangzhou. On flights this long, being able to lay flat and sleep is a absolutely crucial. My wife and I were in seats 19C and 19D at the back of the business class cabin, and I ended up sleeping most of the time. The seat was very comfortable and roomy. Cabin service was ideal from boarding to flight and disembarkation. They struck a wonderful balance of attentiveness but invisibility.
RouteJFK to CAN

China Southern Airlines customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

Businesslike Lounge at Guangzhou - 37c outside, 37+ inside. Either no air conditioning or it was not working. Unable to stay in the lounge for long. Totally unacceptable. However lounge appeared well equipped and comfortable. Used the shower facilities which were excellent. Staff - poor levels of English, although very helpful. Excellent business cabin, flat beds very comfortable. Friendly cabin crew but English weak at times. Poor food service - food trolleys not used, individual meals appeared to be assembled by hand and delivered individually on porcelain plates. The meals took ages to be delivered and often components of the meal were cold. Because of this method of delivery some meal components were forgotten. Some of the food was very good, some only average. Previous longhaul flight to Guangzhou using Air France, this is how to do it. Inflight entertainment..equipment not user friendly, poor selection of entertainment.
AircraftAirbus 360
RouteGuangzhou to Brisbane

Review by (New Zealand)

The food was excellent, there was a great choice and well presented. The wine was New Zealand white which was great, plus other types as well. The staff very friendly, with limited English but no problem in making them understand what I wanted. The seats were great and full bed with a thick duvet, films only fair but I slept most of the time. Transfer to the lounge was quick and easy with a guide taking us through to where we should go, food, showers easy to obtain. The transfer to Boeing 787 on next flight was by mini bus, again no problem (however if disabled could be a problem).
AircraftA330 / Boeing 787
RouteAKL-LHR via CAN

China Southern Airlines customer review

Review by (United States)

My seat had a loose jack for the headphone and I asked the crew if possible to change the seat, but she started blaming me. After an hour in the air, I started to listen to turn on my iPhone for music (since the jack was not working), and staff told me I could not use this because of Chinese regulations. I pointed out that people are using laptop. She said laptop is ok but not the cell phone. I started using the laptop but of course the battery ran out quickly. Food was not good. After arriving Guangzhou, I was up for a surprise. I was supposed to transfer to the San Francisco flight, instead they asked me to go thru immigration and customs. I asked why, and the answer is you have to take a domestic flight to go to another city then catch the SFO flight from there! I did all that. Then after an hour I passed thru the immigration and security for the domestic terminal. I went outside the terminal and came back 1.5 hours later again going thru immigration/security. After landing at the domestic terminal, I had to go thru immigration/customs and immigration/security for the international. Altogether I had to go thru 4 immigration and 6 customs/security. At the airport there are no Starbucks or any place that take credit card unless you order at least 10 USD (I think that's the amount). People at the airport were not helpful at all.
Cabin FlownEconomy