China Southern Airlines

Review by (United Kingdom) 26th July 2015

Terrible delay and customer service! I went to Beijing Airport 3 hours early and wanted to change to an early flight to Guangzhou. However I was told to go different places and finally I gave it up. The plane was delayed for an hour. My flight change over time was 2 hours. Then when the plane arrived in Guangzhou, it was one hour and half delayed. No ground crew helped me although I asked the plane staff for assistance. When I got to the boarding gate for Dubai, this flight was delayed one hour and half. When it was landed in Dubai, it was two hours and half delayed. I planned three hours change over time. Unfortunately I missed my connection. I had to stay at the airport for 5 hours for one morning flight.
RouteBeijing to Dubai via Guangzhou

Review by (China) 26th July 2015

The flight attendant was very attentive. After getting on to the plane, my daughter fell asleep and missed breakfast. After she woke up, the flight attendant brought her breakfast and cake. Although it was a very long flight, and flight attendants were tired, they still treated us with respect and enthusiasm, and I really appreciated it.
RouteGuangzhou to Vancouver

Review by (China) 20th July 2015

My family and I traveled on 18th July from Guangzhou to Vancouver. Since it is our first long haul international flight, the crew were warm and patience, and assist me to complete the entry form on board. The choice of food and entertainment was very good.
RouteGuangzhou to Vancouver

Review by (China) 20th July 2015

Flew CZ321, CAN-MEL on 11/04/2015 in business class. The check-in process was quick and hassle free. In the CS lounge they provide tablet devices as a portable entertainment system which helps to kill some waiting time. Similar devices are now also handed out on short domestic flights with small aircrafts (business class w/o IFE). The CAN-MEL flight itself was decent with regular drinks run and average food options. Seats were comfortable enough to sleep in. Cabin crew were pleasant and attentive with keen eyes for details. IFE movie choices were limited and could use some updates. All in all still a good 10-hour flight experience.
RouteGuangzhou to Melbourne

Review by (United States) 14th July 2015

Guangzhou to LAX on new A380. China Southern Airlines will get you where you need to go in a safe and clean environment, staff are courteous but don't really interact. Aircraft is clean but no mood lighting. Choice of movies is limited. No ability to charge iDevices on seatbacks.
RouteCAN to LAX

Review by (United Kingdom) 14th July 2015

PVG-Xian was almost an hour late due to traffic problems but it was a smooth flight with good service from the flight attendants. A big problem was the food, it was tasteless, oily rice with pork - a let down but the airline gets you from A to B comfortably. I then flew Xi'an to Chengdu, smooth boarding and check in, sat in seat 58A in the back, recline was a little limited but the generous eg room made up for this. Served a lunch box with simple snacks such as bread, pastry etc.
AircraftBoeing 737-7/800
RouteShanghai to Chengdu via Xi'an

Review by (Australia) 13th July 2015

Recently took several flights with China Southern. First Melbourne to Xian via Guangzhou, then Chongquin to Guilin, Guilin to Melbourne via Guangzhou. All flights were on time. I found them not quite as good as Cathay, but still adequate. The entertainment (personal) was quite limited for English but still had a variety of TV sit-coms/dramas and movies. Coming back a bonus was that even for domestic-international if you have more than 6 hours wait (we had 12 hours) they put you up in a hotel room for free including transfers even during the day. You go to international check in, find G17 which is opposite the G's for check in and they check your details and then escort you onto a bus for your transit hotel. Bonus. However the seats we had 51A, 51C coming back from Guangzhou to Melbourne, mine didn't recline and my husband had NO tray table. It was removed some time some how. We mentioned this to the flight attendant who said they would be willing to let him sit somewhere else to eat. Me, well too bad. Not the greatest help. So instead of the hassle he just balanced his meal on his lap. Not really acceptable. Shame as we would have rated this airline much higher if they had done the right thing by us and let us sit in seats that had all their bits working, like a table and a recline (it was an overnight flight). The seats were hard. Without our issues I would recommend, but they could do so much better at no extra big cost.
RouteMelbourne to Xian via Guangzhou

Review by (United States) 13th July 2015

Jakarta to Guangzhou on B737-800. Aircraft in decent clean condition, IFE on each seat back. Flight departed on time, cabin crew efficient and friendly enough. Food and wine plentiful and decent.
RouteCKG to CAN

Review by (China) 13th July 2015

Left Shenyang on time, 30 minute stop in Taiyuan and continue to Kunming. Check in quick and efficient being a Skyteam Gold member. Nothing to complain about concerning CZ's service. The only nuissance is that they cannot get the priority luggage handling right. Even with priority tags my bags always arrive late on the belt. Airport issue? In general CZ is one of the better airlines in China.
RouteShenyang to Kunming

Review by (Australia) 9th July 2015

The check in process was very poor in Guangzhou. I could not find a business class check in counter. I went to a China Southern enquiry counter and the first person there was too busy on the phone. The second person I spoke to directed me to the Premium Economy check in counter where I eventually checked in at. The lounge is poor and the choice of food and beverages was not good. The aircraft was spacious and clean. There is more than adequate space and a proper lie flat seat. The service was faultless with four staff in the business class cabin. What however lets the airline down is the food. It was pretty poor. The single toilet was kept clean during the entire flight. I had trouble with the IFE and could not use it.
RouteGuangzhou to Sydney