Best Cabin Crew

China Southern Airlines

"experience was pretty fantastic"

Sydney to Vancouver via Guangzhou with China Southern Airlines, and our experience was pretty fantastic. SYD to Guangzhou on an A330 had excellent legroom and the seat was comfortable. The Boeing 787 from Guangzhou to Vancouver however was the opposite. Not enough legroom for me (185cm) and the seat cushion was non-existent, which is frankly not good enough for a 12 hour flight. Inflight entertainment was ample, despite being around 60% Chinese content (expected on a Chinese airline), with a fair amount of new movies and TV shows, as well as some older ones. Food was all edible if a little bland. Drinks were provided and there were a few juices, soft drinks, and tea to choose from, as well as water. If you need a lot of hydration, I suggest bringing a full water bottle as drinks are only served before meals unless you call a flight attendant specifically. I read complaints about cabin crew English, but many had fantastic English, and even the worst were manageable. If you want to have a long conversation about your day, best of luck to you, but asking for water or choosing the beef over the pork is simple.
AircraftA330 / Boeing 787
RouteSYD to YVR via CAN
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"upgraded to business class"

China Southern Airlines from Los Angeles to Guangzhou booked in economy class. When I checked in, ground staff told me I could upgrade to business class which I did. Some US airlines do not provide free alcoholic drinks, but China Southern provides wines and the flight attendant offered liquor to me. Although the in-flight entertainment video is not very rich, they offer a lot of Chinese programs. I had connecting flight from Guangzhou, ground staff checked my luggage for customs inspection, which allowed me to go directly to the next flight and reduce time at the airport. Overall, I rate the flight experience and cabin crew services are great.
RouteLAX to KHN via CAN
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"got an upgrade to business"

(China)

Guangzhou to Jinan with China Southern. The flight was overbooked, but as I'm a frequent flier I got an upgrade from economy to business class. The entertainment system was very nice and I liked the food provided. It was near the Chinese lunar new year, so there were more flights than usual. It took three times longer than usual to get through the security check. I think the airport and the airline should have some better procedures to handle this kind of situation.
RouteCAN to TNA

"crew were helpful"

(China)

China Southern Airlines from Los Angeles to Guangzhou, the first time on the A380, and the first time take my son back China to enjoy Spring festival. The crew were helpful and enthusiastic, the seat was very comfortable. I liked the food onboard, it was very delicious. We received a children's travel kit and my son liked it very much. Before departing in LAX, we waited a long time in the runway. I nearly missed my connecting flight..
RouteLAX to CAN
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"there was no help from airline"

(Thailand)

Bangkok to Harbin via Guangzhou and China Southern flights were good, the food exceptional. Transfer at Guangzhou to Harbin was a near disaster - with 2 hrs to transfer in Guangzhou there was no help from airline. I made the connection with literally 3 mins to spare, had to pay a cart to make it to the gate. In BKK a courtesy pass was issued for outward journey immigration fast lane, but nothing on return so stood in line at 1am with about 300 chinese travellers. For this reason probably will not travel China Southern Airlines again.
RouteBKK to HRB via CAN
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"staff were professional "

Flying from New York JFK to Guangzhou on 3rd February 2016. Very impressive service. Plenty of food, comfy seat, and landed on time. Most impressive was cabin service staff who were professional and took good care of the passengers. A bit surprised that cellphone must be turned off completely, not even flight mode permitted, and not able to listen to music off line.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteJFK to CAN
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"a very pleasant journey"

(China)

Flew Moscow to Guangzhou via Wuhan with China Southern Airlines on February 2016. Business class was quite empty, which made it possible for me to sleep well during the flight. Boarding quick and well-organized. Seats comfortable, flat-bed with generous space. Staff professional, patient and helpful. Foods and beverage sufficient, above average level. Even WUH-CAN (less than 1.5h) provided hot meals. The lounge at Wuhan Airport need to be improved. Overall a very pleasant journey.
RouteSVO to CAN via WUH
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"I would fly China Southern again"

Los Angeles to Melbourne via Guangzhou, and I was quite pleased with China Southern Airlines. The cost was well below other major carriers but the service and comfort did not suffer. Cabins were comfortable and modern, staff were courteous and spoke English when asked. Legroom was very good on the A380 and decent on the A330. Pillows, blankets, and headphones were provided free, which is better than many US carriers. Meals were good with at least two hot meals per flight and a choice of Asian or Western entrees. Beer and wine were available for free in Economy Class alongside the usual beverages. The seatback entertainment selection was large and varied. Although our layover in China was shorter, the airline offers free hotels for waits of more than 8hrs. Ground staff is on hand at the Chinese hubs to assist with transfers between flights. Our checked luggage transferred flawlessly between all legs including domestic US connections. The only minor annoyance was that Delta told us their boarding passes would work for China Southern, but we had to get new ones printed at the gate. I would fly with China Southern again.
RouteLAX to MEL via CAN

China Southern Airlines customer review

(China)

I took a flight from Guangzhou to Changchun on January 21st with China Southern Airlines. The flight attendant was very kind and professional, gave me a hot towel and some hot tea. The flight was very smooth and comfortable. After having a nice dinner and a nap, we got there. On arrival, a VIP shuttle bus.
RouteCAN to CGQ

"cut above Air Canada"

China Southern business class from Vancouver to Singapore via Guangzhou return, and we were pleasantly surprised by the Boeing 787 (first time) and the generous space in business and comfortable seats. If you are tall you may fine the bed short but okay for my 5'10. We booked directly with CZ (possibly a mistake) and needed to rebook - a middle name was omitted which did concern us - impossible to correct without penalty but we were reassured that middle names are not required on this route. Communication with the airline can be a challenge at times. Our return flight was delayed so we missed our connection and had to stay overnight in Guangzhou, where they looked after us well. Cabin staff obliging and English generally fine. Meals quite acceptable - there is a limited choice of wines, white or red - and the bar service is slow - indeed needed to ask. Did not use the entertainment systems. I consider China Southern a cut above Air Canada, certainly when compared to AC newer planes.
RouteSIN to YVR via CAN