China Southern Airlines

"wouldn't fly this airline again"

Trip Verified | London to Bangkok via Guangzhou. Departure and arrival were prompt. Staff were friendly. Bought tickets through an agent but was advised that I couldn't manage my booking online. Customer services were able to book my seats though. They said I could still check in online before the flight which I wasn't able to. The plane was dated, seats very worn and uncomfortable. I had to wrap my pillow in the blanket and sit on that which was also uncomfortable but a better alternative. Controls are on the armrest so the light kept on coming on unintentionally. Our bags were put on a later flight which we found out about when waiting at baggage reclaim in Bangkok. They told my wife this was the case but left me waiting for mine saying it would arrive. It didn't therefore they guessed it was on a later flight arriving 5 hours later. They said they'd get it to our hotel by 7pm (we arrived at midday). No explanation given. Very poor communication and service. Inflight entertainment was a bit dated. I used my tablet instead. Food was nice. We chose this airline due to very competitive prices. I wouldn't fly with this airline again.
RouteLondon to Bangkok via Guangzhou
Date FlownNovember 2017

"I could occupy three seats"

(China)

Trip Verified | Guangzhou to Vientiane. There were only about 50 passengers on this flight and I could occupy three seats in a row. Boeing 737-800 with no PTV system on the plane, so I could only use my iPad to watch a film during the flight. The crew were very friendly and helpful. The meal on the flight was not so good.
RouteGuangdong to Vientiane
Date FlownOctober 2017

"looked after carefully"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Guangzhou to Auckland. I traveled with my parents and my uncle. My father is disabled and nearly 80. My mother is nearly 80 too and my uncle is 82. All of them were looked after carefully through out the trip. I was a bit worried before the trip and ended up with really satisfying! Thanks China southern airlines.
RouteGuangzhou to Auckland
Date FlownNovember 2017

"not worth it on a long flight"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Christchurch to London via Guangzhou. Flights were on time and went without any hitches but there is a major problem with this airline, being the smallest seat pitch I have encountered even on a domestic flight let alone a long haul 12 hour flight. Even some of our taller oriental friends were struggling with it. I was fortunate to be able to move to a seat with a vacant seat adjacent and thanks to a kind person at the check-in desk at Heathrow I had a bulkhead seat on my return flight. Unless you are of below average stature I wouldn't recommend this airline, profit comes ahead of customer comfort. The flight attendants were also a bit slap-dash with the service. Coffee was pre-mixed with sugar and milk whether you like it or not, presumably to save the flight attendants a bit of time and effort. Wi-Fi is available at Guangzhou airport if you know that you have to scan your passport at a machine to get a ticket with a password, but for non techno-savvy people, it would be hard to figure out. A little cheaper than the quality airlines, but not worth it on a long flight.
RouteChristchurch to London via Guangzhou
Date FlownNovember 2017

"I missed my original connection"

Trip Verified | China Southern staff was able to reschedule me to this flight and re-route my checked-in luggage after I missed my original connection flight due to weather - they apologized for the rescheduling, helped me settled at my seat. I am a Delta SkyTeam frequent flyer and crew members greeted me warmly. Overall crew members were kind, professional and thoughtful.
RouteGuangzhou to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownNovember 2017

"The crew did a particularly good job"

Trip Verified | China Southern has two flights a day from London to Guangzhou and both use Boeing 787 that are new. I have flown this route a lot but this review is specifically to compliment the airline about the excellent service on 15 November on CZ304 (the night flight from London). China Southern in general does a great job with in-flight service and the quality of seating in business/first; where it falls short and needs a lot of work is in the ground service/transfer service in Guangzhou (which it advertises as excellent but in practice is highly deficient). The crew on CZ304 did a particularly good job and worked very hard during the flight, even by what I regard as very high standards of China Southern. I heard other passengers leave the flight complimenting the crew. Unfortunately China Southern ruins the experience of passengers with the poor way its staff handle transfers at Guangzhou airport — it’s always someone else’s problem and when there are problems, the staff seem always to be missing on the ground. But this review is of the flight itself and I don’t think of the more than 100 flights I have done in the past year or 100 or so China Southern flights in the past few years that there has been a better in-air experience.
RouteLondon to Guangzhou
Date FlownNovember 2017

"lighter seems to have been removed"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to London via Guanghzou. Really annoyed as my suitcase was open and damaged. Following landing I noticed that my suitcase does not appear closed and the locker I had was missing. In opening it I found a note from China Southern advising that they have opened my luggage due to "hazardous inflammable items". The only thing that I had in my bag was a lighter bought from Thailand. The lighter seems to have been removed. The zipper of my bag-suitcase was damaged and the bag was scratched on the side as well.
RouteBangkok to London via Guanghzou
Date FlownNovember 2017

"a lot of space in business class"

Trip Verified | Guangzhou to Los Angeles. The Boeing 777 has a lot of space in business class which helped me sleep easily. However, the entertainment onboard is not good. The onboard wifi is not available on this airline and the TV resolution is low. The flight took 12 hours with 2 meals onboard, you could make a reservation for the food. To be honest, the food could be slightly better. The cabin crew had the ability to make cocktails with efficiency. During the whole flight the crew served me with politely with a smile.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteGuangzhou to Los Angeles

"had an excellent trip"

Trip Verified | Guangzhou to Sydney. I really liked the wifi on board, and provided a very good service in the cabin, I had a light meal in the middle of the trip. I really had an excellent trip with China Southern Airlines.
RouteGuangzhou to Sydney
Date FlownNovember 2017

"food and beverage is abundant"

Trip Verified | Dubai to Urumqi via Wuhan and Guangzhou. In the return journey, they check the luggage directly to Dubai via Guangzhou, no need to take out the luggage in Guangzhou. The crew is polite and try to meet your demand in a comfortable way. The food and beverage is abundant and they provide some traditional Chinese exercising tv programme for relaxing.
AircraftA330 / Boeing 737
RouteDubai to Urumqi via Wuhan/Guangzhou

China Southern Airlines Photos

China Southern Airlines is a state-owned airline and a member of SkyTeam alliance. Its main hub airport is Guangzhou Baiyun Airport, the airline operates more than 600 passenger aircraft, including Boeing 787, Boeing 777 and Boeing 737 and Airbus A380, A330, A321, A320 and A319. China Southern Airlines fleet is ranked the largest in Asia and the fifth largest in the world.

FIRST CLASS

A380 is equipped with eight private flat-bed suites. IFE is via a 23-inch flat-screen LCD TV. Boeing 787 and A330 have 4 cocoon seats, and IFE is via a 17 or 19-inch LCD TV.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

A380 seats recline to a full flat bed. IFE is via a 15-inch flat-screen LCD TV. Boeing 787 / A330 seats recline to full flat bed with 2x2x2 cabin layout. IFE via 15-inch LCD TV.

LONG HAUL
flat_seatsFlat bed seat
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
AVODAudio / video on demand
DiningOn demand dining (*not all flights)
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

ECONOMY CLASS

China Southern Airlines cabin/seat layouts can be viewed on the Seat Map in menu below.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 31-33 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 17.2 - 17.5 ins
No WiFiOnboard WiFi
power_iconUSB power (*not all flights)
DiningComplimentary meals
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillows & blankets

LOUNGES

At Guangzhou Baiyun Airport, premium customers have use of the China Southern Airlines First and Business class lounge.

Lounge SeatingExpansive seating options
SleepingBedrooms
2_6_spacer

» China Southern Lounge reviews

SEAT MAPS

View aircraft seat maps for China Southern Airlines fleet. We have provided you a direct link to China Southern Fleet information page, where the most up-to-date information should be available.
» View Seat Maps

IFE

China Southern Airlines provides 600+ hours of entertainment programs on newest aircraft where audio/video program systems are installed.
» View latest IFE Guide

ONBOARD DINING

First Class entrée dish

Business Class beef noodle soup

FIRST CLASS : REVIEW

A modern Boeing 787 with comfortable flat bed, nice comfort attributes and amenities, reasonable IFE, attentive and friendly staff../

» Read the Flight Review