China Southern Airlines

"food was mediocre at best"

Trip Verified | Seoul to Amsterdam via Beijing. First of all my partner and I did not choose to fly with China Southern. Our flight with KLM from Seoul to Amsterdam was cancelled and the replacements issued were with CSA. Everything starts with the check in which is where the issues started. I was able to check in for the short flight Seoul to Beijing on their website but unable to book a seat for the Beijing to Amsterdam connection, my partner had no issues for both flights. In the end we did have to go to the counter and we don't have a lot of experience with the ground staff of CSA as check in was done by Korean Air in Seoul. It was an overall pleasant experience with the Korean Air staff but they were unable to book the whole trip for us (after Amsterdam we had a connecting flight home to Ireland) or make any changes to the seats selected. The flight from Seoul to Beijing was uneventful and for the short distance a snack and something to drink was included. Unfortunately the quality of the food can be improved (dry tiny sandwiches with not taste or texture). We were put in economy plus for the flight due to the short layover in Beijing to make it to our connecting flight. There was plenty of legroom but the plane was old and outdated. Unlike other people's experiences we did have staff waiting for us when we got off the plane in Beijing to help us with the luggage transfer and through Chinese security. It was actually helpful since our flight to Beijing was delayed by half an hour the process needed to be speedy (as others have stated lack of communication with passengers in regards to delays especially in this case when they were well aware that they had 4 international passengers that needed to transfers). Just be prepared to have your hand luggage turned upside down with no respect for personal belongings. I think they ran our bags through the scanner 5 times despite removing all requested items that go through the scanner separately. Initially my partner and I were supposed to be seated apart during the long flight from Beijing to Amsterdam but got lucky since so many people wanted to change seats that we eventually had chance to sit together. Compared to A380 from other airlines there was less legroom in the main deck economy area and the seats were uncomfortable so sleeping was possible just not for long. Again the food was mediocre at best. Dinner was tasteless chicken with more tasteless mash or fish and rice where only the rice and sauce were edible, the veg was pretty undercooked. At least there were a plenty of chances to get water or something else to drink. Breakfast was an omelette, okay but not great. In flight entertainment had a lot of good choices with some recent movies and there was enough to keep us busy during the flight. Only regret is no map to check flight progress and little communication of the staff with passengers where we are. For an international flight I would have hoped to have staff that has decent English unfortunately most of time it was hard to figure out where Chinese ended and English started during announcements. Our luggage made it to our final destination with no issues but we could see that both of our suitcases were opened and searched Would I recommend this airline? Probably not considering there are better airlines to choose from. Also flying via China comes with its own challenges that you need to keep in mind.
RouteSeoul to Amsterdam via Beijing
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"couldn’t find my booking"

Trip Verified | Tokyo Haneda Airport to Guangzhou. A check in staff told me that she couldn’t find my booking details in their computer system and was not able to identify my booking number despite me showing her my e-ticket and passport at the counter. Apparently, she was not able to locate my booking. She stated my ticket was not bought from their airline. At the meantime, she was impatient, unfriendly and short of professional knowledge. I’ve never had such an issue before as all my tickets were bought from a Travel Agent. I am highly disappointed that she was not able to locate a simple Airline Reservation Code from a standard e-ticket.
RouteHaneda to Guangzhou

"Nice trip in general"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Osaka via Guangzhou. Nice plane for the first route, fresh and comfortable, I had a good rest during night flight. It was a big progress of Guangzhou terminal 2, transferring was easy in this terminal. Cabin crew of the second route were friendly and nice, food was delicious and mooncake served to passenger because of the mid autumn festival. But plane used for this route was a little bit old compared with the first route. One more point, there was no WIFI connection from Guangzhou to Osaka, it is very important nowadays. I will be more satisfied if airline company could provide better hardware. Nice trip in general.
RouteSydney to Osaka via GuangZhou
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"on board service was superb"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Bangkok via Guangzhou. We were amazed how underrated China Southern is, we felt welcome the minute we checked in at LAX and invited to their lounge, we felt at home when we boarded the aircraft and greeted with a smile. The on board service was superb: food, beverages and snacks also outstanding was the flat bed and amenities that come with it, also very well organized and no hassle was our transit in Guangzhou, where we were greeted and transported in a limo bus to the terminal (business class) and escorted through a separate security check and to their very nice, clean, lounge (after a very short walk). After an hour we were off to our connecting flight and again taken on this limo bus avoiding the long walk and greeted by the charming crew and now a smaller A321 but the same quality of service and cleanliness. We’re traveling again in February next year and without hesitation choosing China Southern.
AircraftA380 / A321
RouteLos Angeles to Bangkok via Guangzhou
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"it's a pleasant flight"

(China)

Trip Verified | Guangzhou to New York JFK. Guangzhou Terminal 2 is one of the best airports I've seen. Boeing 777-300 provides good seat comfort. Cabin crew was very friendly, helpful and professional. Three meals were served during this flight and they taste good. I love the Chinese style breakfast served before landing the most. Overall, it's a pleasant flight.
RouteGuangzhou to New York
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"staff were particularly friendly"

Trip Verified | London to Melbourne via Guangzhou. My flight with China Southern exceeded all my expectations. The seats were comfortable and roomy and there was great on flight entertainment. The cabin staff were particularly friendly. All 4 flights we took with them were on time and we got our bags back each end. Could not fault!
RouteLondon to Melbourne via Guangzhou

"helpful and friendly"

Trip Verified | Shenzhen to Beijing. Staff at the check in counter was very helpful and friendly. An employee accompanied much together to the Gate and then to boarding. All in all, friendly, helpful and courteous staff at China Southern Airlines.
RouteShenzhen to Beijing

"Overall a good airline"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Tianjin via Guangzhou. The meals on these particular routes were Chinese in style; my travel companion, who rarely eats airplane food, called the meals delicious and I found the meals quite suited to a Chinese palate. The passengers on both the departure and return flight were very demanding. Despite this, the stewardesses were quick and patient in their services, providing blankets, headphones, and pillows during boarding. China Southern and Xiamen boarded their flights in an orderly fashion and organized their queues in such a way as to prevent passengers from later zones from sneaking into the front. Passengers who did so were told to line up in their queue. On my return leg from Tianjin to Guangzhou, airport staff noticed a random, irrelevant series of digits where my travel document number should have been. This was likely the fault of my travel agent whom I booked the ticket with. Regardless, the check-in staff was not able to check me in, and sent me to a China Southern kiosk to resolve the issue. In the end, the kiosk employee was able to change my ID number in the system to match my travel document so I could be checked in. One event taking away from my high opinion of China Southern was this employee's stubbornness and hesitance to change the travel document number for a low-risk individual who obviously had a valid travel document. She initially told us that it was not possible for her to do so (which was not a truthful statement), and insisted I contact my travel agent, which resulted in my friend and myself having to turn on roaming to call the travel agent back in Canada and was a huge inconvenience. After having no luck, she apparently realized that I had successfully checked into my Guangzhou to Toronto return leg and was convinced that I was legitimate, and then changed my number in the system. In hindsight, she took conservative measures, which are reasonable but in my opinion overkill for a low-risk passenger. She realized that I had little time left, and quickly finished the change and directed me to the supervisor line, which was a saving grace to the ordeal and restored some of my respect for the airline. Ultimately, this had no impact on my flight, but it was a stressful and arguably unnecessarily complicated process. Inflight entertainment has a good selection of both Chinese, international, and Hollywood movies, TV shows, music and games. This was my first time taking a shuttle bus from the gate to the plane (at Guangzhou for the departure leg). Although China Southern communicated gate changes and delays promptly and clearly, the airline did not communicate that we would be riding a shuttle bus. As a result of this, I leisurely took my time and ended up standing for the 10-minute bus ride. Partially my fault, admittedly. Conclusion: Overall, a good airline that exceeds options we have in North America.
RouteToronto to Tianjin via Guangzhou
Date FlownAugust 2018

"There was enough leg room"

Trip Verified | My flight from Shenzhen to Singapore was good overall. Ground service staff was friendly and upgraded me to premium economy. There was enough leg room at my seat. As it was a night flight, one dissatisfaction I encountered was the constant noise made by the toddler behind my seat and the constant kicking of the seats which kept me up all throughout the night. Overall, friendly staff but wish the flight would be more pleasant and comfortable.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteShenzhen to Singapore

"friendly and efficient"

Trip Verified | Our family took China Southern from Changsha to New York via Guangzhou. Terminal 2 at Guangzhou is more clean and bright than the old Terminal 1. When we got onboard the cabin attendant showed our seats location and we had three seats together. The food and drinks is just like before, no further improvements. But the midnight snack is steamed bun stuffed with barbecued roast pork, my son are obsessed by that and my husband also. The seats and cabin furniture looks cheap and out of fashion nowadays. The cabin and toilet is fresh and clean during the flight, the cabin temperature is appropriate for economy class. Cabin Attendant were friendly and efficient. We would consider this airline in the future.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteChangsha to New York via Guangzhou

China Southern Airlines Photos

China Southern Airlines is a state-owned airline and a member of SkyTeam alliance. Its main hub airport is Guangzhou Baiyun Airport, the airline operates more than 600 passenger aircraft, including Boeing 787, Boeing 777 and Boeing 737 and Airbus A380, A330, A321, A320 and A319. China Southern Airlines fleet is ranked the largest in Asia and the fifth largest in the world.

FIRST CLASS

A380 is equipped with eight private flat-bed suites. IFE is via a 23-inch flat-screen LCD TV. Boeing 787 and A330 have 4 cocoon seats, and IFE is via a 17 or 19-inch LCD TV.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

A380 seats recline to a full flat bed. IFE is via a 15-inch flat-screen LCD TV. Boeing 787 / A330 seats recline to full flat bed with 2x2x2 cabin layout. IFE via 15-inch LCD TV.

LONG HAUL
flat_seatsFlat bed seat
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
AVODAudio / video on demand
DiningOn demand dining (*not all flights)
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

ECONOMY CLASS

China Southern Airlines cabin/seat layouts can be viewed on the Seat Map in menu below.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 31-33 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 17.2 - 17.5 ins
No WiFiOnboard WiFi
power_iconUSB power (*not all flights)
DiningComplimentary meals
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillows & blankets

LOUNGES

At Guangzhou Baiyun Airport, premium customers have use of the China Southern Airlines First and Business class lounge.

Lounge SeatingExpansive seating options
SleepingBedrooms
2_6_spacer

» China Southern Lounge reviews

SEAT MAPS

View aircraft seat maps for China Southern Airlines fleet. We have provided you a direct link to China Southern Fleet information page, where the most up-to-date information should be available.
» View Seat Maps

IFE

China Southern Airlines provides 600+ hours of entertainment programs on newest aircraft where audio/video program systems are installed.
» View latest IFE Guide

ONBOARD DINING

First Class entrée dish

Business Class beef noodle soup

FIRST CLASS : REVIEW

A modern Boeing 787 with comfortable flat bed, nice comfort attributes and amenities, reasonable IFE, attentive and friendly staff../

» Read the Flight Review