China Eastern Airlines

"crew helpful and friendly"

(China)

Verified Review | Xining to Xi'an on July 9th. It was my first time to flew in first class with China Eastern Airlines. The crew were helpful and friendly. I'm not satisfied with the food because there were only two cakes and some fruit. The seat was very comfortable so I fell sleep in a short time. The inflight entertainment contained latest films.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteXining to Xi'an
Date FlownJuly 2017

"Avoid taking China Eastern"

Verified Review | New York JFK to Fuzhou via Shanghai. Avoid taking China Eastern Airlines at all cost. First of all, the flight from JFK was delayed for four hours. The scheduled departure was 4:25pm, and the plane didn't leave until 8:15pm. Upon arrive on PVG, the customers were informed that the transferred flight from Shanghai to Fuzhou has already departed. The flight from PVG to FOC is under the same flight number MU588. The flight departed as the customers are arriving at PVG. Worst of all, they don't have anything arranged for another flight until the next day.
RouteNew York to Fuzhou via Shanghai
Date FlownAugust 2017

"attendants keep shouting loudly"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Tokyo to Xian via Shanghai. The female cabin attendants keep shouting loudly to passengers seated on aisle seats "Be careful, Be careful!" as they pass by pushing food/drink wagons, instead of "Excuse me!" Their level of English proficiency is very low. Almost none of them speak Japanese, either. No information is given by China Eastern on Internet that passengers with economy tickets must pay for wine on international flights. No charge for beer, however. The flight from Xian to Shanghai on Aug. 7 was delayed more than 90 minutes; however, no explanations for the delay were made available to passengers at all. Consequently, I missed my connecting flight 539 from Shanghai to Tokyo Haneda. Again, I was left in complete limbo as to if I would be able to get on another flight. And if so, which flight? Even if I wanted to ask for somme information at the boarding gate for Haneda flight, there were no ground crew available there for two hours! Where as the Japanese keep on apologizing in such circumstances without giving enough information for delays, the Chinese never apologize whatsoever.
AircraftA330 / A320
RouteTokyo to Xian via Shanghai

"food was low quality"

Verified Review | I have never been on a more neurotic airline than China Eastern. Let me explain. For the flight from Diqing to Kunming you cannot use headphones upon take off or landing, which is absolutely ridiculous. They refused to take off in the rain which delayed my flight 6 hours. The food was low quality, but expected given the price. There is no beverage choice.
RouteDiqing to Kunming
Date FlownAugust 2017

"worth cheap price of ticket"

Verified Review | New York to Fuzhou. The crew was really nice and seats were also comfortable since it can be rotated 180 degrees. They gave us free wifi. Even though it wasnt that great you can still watch something on youtube on 240p with a vpn. The food was not that great though. For the inflight entertainment there was a selection of western and eastern movies and tv shows. The experience was worth the cheap price of the ticket.
RouteNew York to Fuzhou

"impolite and unprofessional"

Verified Review | Sydney to Beijing via Shanghai. The cabin crew was impolite and unprofessional, hostess do not speak English (and one could ignore that as well), but the airline service is just appalling. First, my connection flight was cancelled but this was written nowhere. The next available flight (Shanghai to Beijing, not exactly an uncommon route) they propose me is 5 hours after the one I had. Then, this flight was late, God knows for how long, because not only it was not signaled on the departure boards until one hour after it was meant to leave. I asked if it was possible to know more or less, I didn't needed the exact time, just if we were talking about 1 or 5 hours. Staff said that they had no idea. If you want to have an awful flying experience, I recommend China Eastern, otherwise run in the opposite direction.
RouteSydney to Beijing via Shanghai
Date FlownJuly 2017

"check in is the worst of all"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Beijing to Bangkok. Flight time is 1950 hrs. I arrived Beijing Airport at 1600 hrs. I went to check-in counter. The airline check-in officer asked me to wait till 1720 hrs for checking-in. I went to the check-in counter again at 172 0hrs, the check-in staff told me to wait till 1830hrs, saying that the flight is delayed. To my understanding, there is priority check-in for business class and first class passenger. Passengers of these priority class should be checked in, even in the flight delayed situation. They can be comfortably hosted in business lounge, not just waiting uncomfortably in all passenger waiting place. I have travelled with many airlines in business class, and I am very comfortable with their hospitality. The Beijing airport check in is the worst of all. The ground staffs have problem in communication with passengers too.
RouteBeijing to Bangkok

"emotionless but helpful"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Tokyo to Male return via Shanghai. On our way to Male all went smoothly - everything was on time, service was good, food was ok. The plane was new and clean with wide screens. On our way back though the flight to Shanghai was 5 hours late and the reason seemed to be a change of aircraft. All passengers were calm and seemed to be used to these kind of problems. We missed our connecting flight. However we were lucky and had helpful staff helping us get back to Japan on the next flight to Haneda. The staff are sometimes emotionless but helpful. I would recommend the airline but if you want to play safe with no delays and good inflight entertainment, maybe better to choose a different airline.
RouteMale to Tokyo via Shanghai

"the worst experience"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Kathmandu via Kunming. This was the worst experience in my travel history. The flight made unknown stop in Qingdao that was not listed in the ticket; makes you get out of the plane and go through security and put you back on the same plane again (whats the point?). Cannot use cell phone in airplane mode as well, but can use a laptop (dont get this logic either). Worst of all I was told that I would claim the baggage in Kathmandu (final destination) during my checking in Denver, but they made me claim the baggage in Kunming where I had to stay with my luggage for 17 hours layover. The return flight was as painful as the going one where I had to stay with my checked luggage for 12 hours in Kunming and 3 hours security check in qingdao. The flight experience is total disaster - when the flight attendant asks you to close the window and if you open in between, they come and yell at you, if they tell you open the window and if you close it, they come and yell; if you ask for additional food or drinks after the serving time, they tell you its over - and zero customer service. I never recommend anyone using China Eastern Airlines : poor customer service.
RouteSan Francisco to Kathmandu via Kunming
Date FlownJuly 2017

"staff was patient and helpful"

Verified Review | Shanghai to Toronto. A very nice experience with nice cabin environment. The staff was patient and helpful, they provided three meals include Wine and many kinds of bread .The lounge in Shanghai is one of the best I have experienced and it's new! The leg room is wider than United Airlines and Air Canada.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER