China Eastern Airlines

"much below what you expect"

Verified Review | Moscow to Xian. worst ever experience. The baggage was 3.5 days delayed! No compensation were given for the clothes I needed to buy. The customer service redirected me to the airport and stopped replying. In general, service, food, drinks are much below what you expect from business class.
RouteZurich to Xian via Moscow
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"No signs or help from ground staff"

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Toronto via Shanghai. Flight delayed from 2am to 15.00 so after complaining was transferred to Cathay Pacific (good) via Hong Kong to Kuala Lumpur. Return flight on 26 Sept. delayed from 2am to 4am and sat in departure lounge until 4am and then told to come back for 10am departure, only given $4 food voucher for burger King! We were told bad weather in Shanghai (checked online and 32 deg and raining only). So they delayed telling us to come back at 10am to avoid the 8 hour hour notice to avoid giving us hotel. Left at 10am and arrived at Shanghai 3pm, connecting flight at 12:15 pm was missed. No signs or help from ground staff. After 2 hours manged to get flight for next day at 9am via Tokyo to Toronto. Again had to queue for visa and then then for hotel. No one spoke a word of English! After another 3 hours (9pm now) put on bus to hotel 50 mins away. Arrived at 9.50 pm and after getting room got a terrible meal, and told them I need to leave by bus at 6 am. Slept at 11.45 pm but hotel manager banged on door at 4.55am telling me to check out and take bus for 5 am. No time so missed 5am bus and waited for 6.30am bus (again no food). Bus broke down 10 km from airport at 7.30am!. No explanation no instructions!. So flagged a taxi and taxi took me to wrong terminal even after I showed him the flight info! By now its 8.15am so scrambled and pushed my way through security and immigration to board plane at 8.50am. Relief but not for long - my seat screen not working. Glad to land in Tokyo (different world) and board Air Canada to Toronto, arriving 27 hours later than original flight and after traveling for 52 hours!
RouteKuala Lumpur to Toronto via Shanghai
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"worst airline I've ever flown"

Verified Review | Sydney to Hong Kong via Shanghai. By far the worst airline I've ever flown with in my life. Staff are terrible, can barely speak English, food is inedible, no spirits are available, customer care is non existent, entertainment systems are extremely poor, cabin was dirty etc Etc. We are Qantas platinum frequent flyers - we agreed to fly with China Eastern after being assured that our Platinum status points/frequent flyer points would be equal to those given on Qantas and that we would have the same level of service. This was a downright lie - no status credits, barely any points ans non existent service. I was horrified at the lack of care from the China Eastern staff - they clearly don't care about the customer, they turn the lights off as soon as the first "meals" are served and you are expected to simply be quiet for the remainder of the flight. We fly home on Tuesday and I am dreading the flight. I thought Jetstar was the most budget-style airline you could get, but CEA takes the cake. The worst part about it is that the Qantas flights were actually cheaper. I've learnt my lesson, never ever again! Avoid at all costs.
RouteSydney to Hong Kong via Shanghai
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"people smoking in the bathrooms"

Verified Review | Flew business class roundtrip from New York JFK to Shanghai. On the return trip, we had 15 hours of turbulence, the cabin was hot, and there were people smoking in the bathrooms. I notified a flight attendant and in in broken English she responded "Yes, it's ok". I was woken mid-flight and asked if I wanted meal service and was unable to get back to sleep. Unlike most airlines and business class, on China Eastern you cannot get any refreshments outside of scheduled meal times. The bathrooms ran out of toilet paper and required cleaning.
RouteNew York JFK to Shanghai
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"terrible treatment of passengers"

Verified Review | New Delhi to San Francisco via Shanghai. This was probably our worst flying experience. The worst part was our treatment in Shanghai, we had to spend 18 hours in Shanghai and the airline did not provide any food or accommodation and did not take care of food preferences on the next day flight. Worst of all, they asked for money to store out luggage for extra 18 hours as if it was our fault that were stranded there. Our flight from Delhi to Shanghai was delayed by 6 hours. We were provided food vouchers but no place to stay in a lounge. This was inconvenient, but treatment was okay. Our layover in Shanghai was only 1.5 hours, so we missed Shanghai - San Francisco flight. They put us on the next day's flight, meaning we had to stay at the airport for 18-19 hours. They did not provide any accommodation even though we asked for it repeatedly. We are from India and eat vegetarian food, and no food was provided for all 18 hours. They asked us for 13,000 INR (about 200 USD) for storing our luggage for 18 hours. That is ridiculous. We did not pay. As a result, they gave our luggage back and we had to check it in again the next day! Our preference for Shanghai to SFO was vegetarian food, but they said in the next day flight that the preference applied to last day's flight only, and they don't have any vegetarian food. So, we were without food during the flight too. I cannot recommend enough to keep away from this airline. Terrible service, and terrible treatment of passengers!
RouteNew Delhi to San Francisco via Shanghai

"meal was so poor"

(China)

Verified Review | Xi'an to Xining by MU2307 on July 6th. My seat was 7L in the first class. The seat is light color. I haven't sat in any seats like this before. The meal was so poor that it was only contain six pieces of fruit and two cakes. However, cabin crew were patient and friendly.
RouteXi'an to Xining
Date FlownJuly 2017

"attendant was very rude"

Verified Review | Beijing to Sydney via Nanjing. I checked in at about 12pm midday on 1st September at the Business Class counter in Beijing. The male attendant was very rude. He snapped at me and during the entire 10 minutes or so, he did not look me in the eye, say hello, please, thank you or good bye once. He did not smile at all, other than when he asked his assistant to explain to me that they didn't know where my bags were and that there was no lounge in Beijing. When I was boarding, I was the 2nd in line. When I reached the counter, another male ground staff member snapped at me to stand to the side. I watched as dozens of Economy class passengers passed through. When I asked what was wrong, he snapped back at me, again while looking at the table rather than at me, that Business class passengers had a VIP bus. Then when there were no economy class passengers left, he let me through. When I reached the boarding access-way we had to go down the stairs. A female ground-staff member asked for my boarding pass, and when she saw that I was a Business Class passenger she shouted to the bottom of the stairs, what I presume to be “He’s Business Class, he’s Business Class”. When I reached the bottom of the stairs I was directed away from the transport bus which was right there, to another bus about 20m away between some pylons and other things on the tarmac. The VIP bus then arrived last at the plane and we waited again for all the Economy passengers to board and I was about the last to board the plane, having been about the first in line when the gate first opened.
RouteBeijing to Sydney via Nanjing
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"our flight was cancelled"

(China)

Verified Review | We booked First class tickets from Xi'an to Shanghai. In the morning, we got message on our mobile that our flight was cancelled due to thunder shower at Shanghai and were asked to rebook our ticket. We tried almost whole morning to get connected. There was no special line for First class passengers. Then we were informed that all flights on the same days were fully booked and we had to fly on the afternoon of next day or we had to rebook the tickets at airport. We rushed to airport just to find that hundreds passengers were waiting and there was no First class counter. After long time waiting, we were given 2 options: one to fly the next afternoon and the other to fly to WUX, an airport 150km away from Shanghai. When asking possibilities to transit somewhere, I was told that MU can only fly us once to any airports we wanted and we had to pay for additional flights to PVG. What a joke! We had to accept flying to WUX. We sat in the lounge from 6PM to 2:30AM before flight took off at 3:00AM. To my most surprise, after 10:30PM, there was no staff in the lounge and there were no snacks or food any more. There were only very loud automatic announcements saying “We are sorry to announce that flight… was delayed or cancelled” repeated endlessly. Arriving at WUX, we booked a taxi to Shanghai, of course paying all costs ourselves. I recommend to take airlines other than MU should you wish to travel in China. HU and CZ are much much better. Or high speed train is another good option.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteXIY to WUX

"Very unpleasant staff"

(Russian Federation)

Verified Review | Shanghai to Moscow. The departure delayed 2 hours. All the passengers waited before a departure gate all this time with no information about a current departure time. The airline provide an extremely old plane A330-200 for a long (almost 10 hours) flight. The seats are almost broken and uncomfortable. No entertainment system like TV, international radio,veriety of music etc, except few main TV's in a main row of seats with a Chinese movie without any translation. Also radio was in Chinese? but the earphone plug was broken. Staff speaks English in intermediate level. After the take off I ask the person for changing a place, since the first row was free. She allow me to do it and I move all my stuff to a new place. After few minutes she returned and told me I must go back since this place cost additional money. Very unpleasant staff. China Eastern it is a far cry from Aeroflot I usually fly. It was my first, but definitely a last flight with this airline.
AircraftA330-200
RouteShanghai to Moscow
Date FlownAugust 2017

"crew helpful and friendly"

(China)

Verified Review | Xining to Xi'an on July 9th. It was my first time to flew in first class with China Eastern Airlines. The crew were helpful and friendly. I'm not satisfied with the food because there were only two cakes and some fruit. The seat was very comfortable so I fell sleep in a short time. The inflight entertainment contained latest films.
Cabin FlownFirst Class