China Eastern Airlines

"kindness seemed to be forced"

Trip Verified | The business class hard product is very nice. I was fortunate enough to sit in the small business class cabin near the front of the plane. There was Wifi free on the flight but it was slow and botchy. The service from the flight attendants was cold and kindness seemed to be forced.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteChicago to Shanghai
Date FlownJune 2017

"I will not fly China Eastern again"

Trip Verified | New York to Shanghai. I would discourage travelers from flying China Eastern Airlines. Their fare is cheaper than many competitors but you get what you pay for. My flight from JFK New York to Shanghai was unpleasant in many ways. First the seating area was not cleaned. There were crumbs in the arm rest. The pillow and blanket came unwrapped which makes you wonder if they cleaned it between flights. The food choices were limited. They show you the menu but two out of three choices were unavailable. Lastly, the flight attendants were absent mostly and not helpful. There were kids squatting in the middle of the aisle talking loudly during a night flight from NYC to Shanghai (mind you this was in business class where passengers were trying to get some rest or trying to get work done) and the flight attendants were nowhere in sight to help escort the kids back to their seats. Also, the flight attendants were not the friendliest. When I asked for a seltzer water I was met with annoyance then a curt hand off of the can (no cup). I will not fly China Eastern again if I can help it.
RouteNew York to Shanghai
Date FlownMarch 2018

"What a nightmare experience"

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Los Angeles via Shanghai. Ground staff in Jakarta did not tell me I should becollect my luggages at Shanghai Pudong airport, til the rude Transfer staff at Shanghai airport told me, meaning I have to exit the Immigration. They didn’t give me any paper, so the Immigration Officer lady didn’t let me out, she told me to get back to the Transfer desk ask for a boarding pass for the next flight. There were 3-4 staff at the transfer desk, no one understand what to do and directed me to the fist staff I met. That lady was still there talking on the phone again n talking to other staff, completely ignored me and other customers behind me. Finally, she left, changing shift I guess, the man gave me a piece of paper (flight itinerary). After second time in line, the Officer told me to fill in the blue paper, not the yellow given by the airlines, she pointed me to the back table, meaning I have to get it n back in line. Frustrated enough, at the third time in line, the Officer complained in Chinese and made a phone call to the Airline Transfer staff, I assume he did not give me a proper paper, took her n other staff to work on my paper, finally I got out. The trouble was not finish here. The lady at the next check in for transfer was not nice. After weight my luggage she told me to exit and go to the third floor to enter the departure gate. As I didn’t get what she said at the first time, I repeat what she said which was wrong. She yelled “go exit and go to the third floor”. What a nightmare experience at my first flight with China Eastern Airlines.
RouteJakarta to Los Angeles via Shanghai
Date FlownMarch 2018

"never recommend this airline"

(Bangladesh)

Trip Verified | Dhaka to Shenyang via Kunming. Disgusting service and the quality of the airline. Would never recommend this airline. This is by the far the worst airline i have ever took and i'm a very frequent traveler. This had a 6 hour delay before it departed. Never use this airline.
RouteDhaka to Shenyang via Kunming
Date FlownAugust 2017

"well worth the price"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Shanghai. This is the third time I have flown with china eastern in business. This time I noticed some improvements, I was offered pre departure champagne which was not the case a year ago. After departure from Toronto was offered pajamas, the service was good and food from very good. I found the crew very good and language was not a problem IFE could be better with some more choices also the remote control at my seat did not work at all but the touch screen worked so I didn't find it a big problem. The amenity kit is very basic and could use an upgrade also the seat while being very roomy and private could use a pad when using it in the bed mode. The lounge in Shanghai was deserted when I was there so was plenty of room and lots of staff there to assist you. All in all well worth the price (far less than EVA, Cathay or Korean Air).
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteToronto to Shanghai

"Do recommend it"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Manila via Shanghai. China Eastern Airline offers free on-board wifi. Besides that, food and service are good too. Their Business Class Lounge at PVG is decent in size and amenities. Do recommend it.
AircraftA330-200
RouteVancouver to Manila via Shanghai
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"flight attendants were very pleasant"

Trip Verified | I purchased ticket economy class on China Eastern for about almost half price of competing airlines, then after reading reviews was somewhat scared that I had made a big mistake, but I had no problems. People posted that flight attendants were rude with bad movies and lots flight delays and no baggage transfers, I had no issues at all. This was my third trip to the Philippines and had used two other airlines before and had delays, my trip with China Eastern went great with no delays, baggage was auto transfered, movie section good and flight attendants were very pleasant. As meals go we were served two meals and it's airline food, no worse or better than competing airlines.
RouteWashington to Cebu via Shanghai
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"cannot expect anything from them"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Prague. Flights were on time, went well, service as expected. But both of my suitcases got lost. One was received the next day but another one got held at PVG for security check. I was asked if the staff at PVG actually can destroy my lock (my suitcase is Commodore brand, meaning if they did, the whole suitcase would be destroyed!)! Then I was asked to send my suitcase key to TPE airport and that they will deliver it to PVG to open my suitcase! So I did and when they received it at TPE they told me that China Eastern staff refused to take my key to PVG with them, because the person who asked me for the key hadn't asked them before she asked me for my key! Then I was even asked to deal with this issue myself. I refused all of it, meaning to destroy my suitcase and to go personally to PVG to retrieve it! Somehow they got my key to PVG and 4 days later I finally received my suitcase, obviously no threat was inside and all of my stuff was there, even though messed up. After this horrible experience I decided to complain to China Eastern only to find out that there is no email address to complain in China. I called their Taipei office where I was given 2 strange email addresses, to one of them my email was not even delivered and I have never heard from anybody from the second email address ever. Then I found that there is an option to submit a complaint directly on the UK website of China Eastern, which I did. I complained that nobody answered my emails from China and asked them to kindly forward my complaint to the corresponding office explaining all my experience! Never heard from anybody! Submitted another complaint a week later and still till today no message from China Eastern whatsoever.Conclusion: average, mostly cheaper airline with average service aboard, until something goes wrong! Then you cannot expect anything from them at all!
RoutePRG to TPE via PVG
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"prompt with drinks and food"

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Singapore. After being initially concerned about our travel team booking me on China Eastern (prices were high due to Chinese New Year) I conceded to China Eastern. GATE: Quick and efficient. We were promptly placed on a bus to the plane. At the plane, the staff were waiting to check boarding passes (this was the only feeling of rush with passengers pushing to get onto the stairs for some reason) Boarding was friendly, they quickly identified me as a westerner and spoke decent English to welcome on board. Take off I was told to take my headphones off before take off which seems normal for China Eastern. The crew in Economy were young, but good with English. were prompt with drinks and food. They rotated the cabin with water almost every 20 minutes. Food was okay some Pork thing with rice and watermelon as the desert. Standard Economy food. IFE Screen was clear, but limited options. about 8 Blockbusters and only 10 TV options. Headphone socket was temperamental, but this seems to be the norm in economy now. I have to be honest to say it was more enjoyable than the Singapore Airlines flight I did on the way to Shanghai. In saying that, this was my first flight with China Eastern.
RouteShanghai to Singapore
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"chose because of it's low fare"

(China)

Trip Verified | I chose China Eastern from Guangzhou to Kunming mainly because of it's low fare and Kunming is the hub for China Eastern. The aircraft is Boeing 737 which is new and could provide 12 first class seats. However the cabin crew were too busy to provide a good service during the fight. The foodsin flight are too salty and the coffee is not hot enough.
Cabin FlownFirst Class