China Eastern Airlines

"disrespect to me as a customer"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Krabi to Moscow via Shanghai. Quality of service is very low. Me and my wife checked in 3 bags in Shanghai airport, but got only 2 tags. We didn't notice it at first. Then right before the flight a manager of China Eastern approached us, showed photo of one of our bags and told that due to some issues they were not able to send it with our plane. He said that there was no problem and that the bag would be sent with the next plane. When we arrived to Moscow, another manager of China Eastern met us and confirmed, that everything was okay and the bag would be sent with next plane. Sounds good, right? But since then we didn't get not only our bag - we were not able to get any information from China Eastern! Shanghai hotline doesn't work, people in Russian office know nothing and can't get any information. Eventually they just stopped answering my phone! Even baggage claim service of Sheremetyevo airport can do nothing! They send requests and get no answer from Shanghai office of China Eastern! It's is utter disrespect to me as a customer and total lack of management skills. It's been 6 days since we arrived and I'm losing faith in ever getting my bag back. And to add cherry on top of this mess - due to lack of luggage tag I wasn't able to get insurance for lost luggage. ((( Speaking about other impressions from the flight: food was good when we were going from Shanghai to Moscow, and OK when from Krabi to Shanghai. Seats were narow and not really comfortable, entertainment was OK, Wifi was poor.
RouteKrabi to Moscow via Shanghai
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"poor and unprofessional"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Brisbane via Shanghai. My baggage went missing for 15 days and the customer service provided, if you can call it that, was poor and unprofessional. When I noticed my bags were missing, I reported it at Shanghai airport. The guy at the baggage claim desk at the airport asked for my flying ticket and, while I was filling out the PIR, he took off my baggage receipts which (this I found out later on) were necessary to claim compensation for the delay. During this 15 days, I tried to call to their Shanghai base several times but nobody ever picks up the phone. After two weeks, I received a call from one of their representatives who told me they would send my bags to the airport, because they don't deliver to the customer's address. On top of that, there was no way to talk or complaint to this person because he didn't speak English, or any other language than Chinese. So, my baggage was lost more than 2 weeks, they provided no costumer service at all, and after all the inconveniences they caused, it is me who has to pay for the transport of my bags. Booking with them was a terrible mistake.
RouteMadrid to Brisbane via Shanghai
Date FlownDecember 2017

"horror stories became true"

(South Korea)

Trip Verified | Seoul to Bangkok via Shanghai since the price was around 400$ when Korean airlines were literally double for our Christmas trip. I had heard many horror stories about the Shanghai transfer process, and unfortunately, they became true. Be sure to leave enough time, at least two hours. Pudong Airport has very few gates and it seems that every plane uses a bus (even airlines like Korean Air use them). This adds about 15-20 minutes to getting to the terminal once you land. The transfer staff is very unorganized in stress, as many staff were calling for LA flights but completely ignoring anyone going to Bangkok. Tensions and tempers flared among passengers as everyone was trying to cut and get around slow people. Staff always says "hurry, hurry, go go" when there's actually not enough time. Our connection was missed because of this, and by the time we waited in line to get our new flight tickets, go through immigration and go upstairs we missed the last flight of the night. The system could be vastly improved. China Eastern did put is in a clean hotel (20 minutes from the airport by their shuttle bus), gave us a bowl of cup noodles at night (and some dumplings/soy milk in the AM). But the one thing they never did? Say sorry. The planes themselves were in clean condition, way better than I expected. Flight attendants were just ok. Nothing special, nowhere near as polite as Korean or Japanese airlines. Food was definitely subpar, about only 70% was edible on all our flights. Price is king, and you pay what you get for.
AircraftA320 / A333
RouteSeoul to Bangkok via Shanghai
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"worst airline I traveled with"

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Toronto. This was easily the worst airline I traveled with. The staff both ground and flight were rude and not accommodating. I requested vegetarian meals and was told to speak to the flight attendants. This was after trying to do this over the phone and being on hold for over 15 mins. I was also unable to do this online. When I spoke to the flight attendants they said my name isn't on the list and I won't be given any food. Finally when I was given food a all 3 times it was non vegetarian including a sandwich that had pork in it. When I asked what was in the sandwich the staff didn't seem to understand my question. In today's time where many people have allergies, health concerns, and other dietary restrictions this was ridiculous. Even general questions seemed to go unnoticed by the staff. Ground staff and check in was really unorganized. My overall experience was disappointing and in future I will not be traveling with this airline again.
RouteShanghai to Toronto
Date FlownDecember 2017

"my mother was denied boarding"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Seoul via Yantai. I purchased a round-trip ticket from Seoul to Bangkok for my mother (cannot speak English with minimum tech ability to use a Smartphone) from China Eastern Airlines official Korean website. I also purchased the same Seoul to Bangkok, but only one way as I was going back to my work in UAE after Bangkok. My flight was 3 hours earlier than my mother's return flight. The ticket I purchased for my mother had 1 stopover each way: Seoul to ShangHai Pudong, ShangHai Pudong to Bangkok, returning Bangkok to Yantai and from their to Seoul. However, on 30 Dec, when my mother wanted to check-in at the CE counter, the airline staff said that this flight goes from Bangkok to Shanghai Pudong to Yantai to Seoul, and two stopover within China is not permitted, showed a piece of paper regarding transit regulation within Mainland China, therefore boarding is not permitted. Suddenly, there was magically a new stopover at Shanghai Pudong. This makes the Shanghai to Yantai leg a domestic flight. Seven passengers including my mother was denied boarding. CE staff did not provide any assistance, closed the counter and left, leaving these passengers stranded in Bangkok Airport. None of the Korean passengers had good enough English language skill to dispute with the Airline, and nor CE spoke proper English. Disputing with them would not yield any positive results anyways since CE staff do not care at all about customer grief nor complaints. Since I had left already to Dubai, my mother was all by herself and had to seek help from two other kind Korean young men (also same ticket) to purchase another ticket using their Credit card from a different airline to go back to Korea (direct flight BKK-ICN from EastarJet). This practice is practically a scam, since this Shanghai stopover was not shown during the website search, not shown in the receipt nor the itinerary email I received. Also the information that "two stopovers within China is not allowed" cannot be verified, and we don't know if this is true. My mother had to wait nearly another 24 hours at the airport as a result. If you cannot speak Chinese, forget about everything, even if they deny for no reason. This kind of practice should not be allowed. CE may look like an excellent budget airline: 30kg checked in Baggage, full in-flight meals, spacy seats. And you will save $300~600 per trip. But when it happens, it will happen to you, and you will be delayed and stranded with no options, no assistance, no staff to talk to and helpless. There's no rating to be given when an airline leaves pax stranded. Everything becomes irrelevant.
RouteBangkok to Seoul via Yantai
Date FlownDecember 2017

"My flight was cancelled"

(Sri Lanka)

Trip Verified | Colombo to Male. My flight was cancelled for January 2018 and they have taken no action. Ticket price was 228$ and the only option they have given was refund which is 110$. Such a shame airline which has no responsibility over their customers. Even when we call the customer care ask to hold the line and it was also a money lost for us by taking international calls.
RouteColombo to Male
Date FlownDecember 2017

"cancelled my transit flight"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Tokyo to Chaoshan via Shanghai. Very not recommended China Eastern airline. My flight was a roundtrip between Tokyo and Jieyang, in the between had to transit in Shanghai. On the way to China, my flight was delayed about 1+hour and they automatically cancelled my transit flight without any explanation and guiding. I had to stay in Shanghai airport for about 7hours for the next flight. I was a bit mad at this because they should at least guide us along this but they did not, we were like running and asking around to see what can we do. Next, during the return. They arranged my flight to be about 1+hours to make a transit in Shanghai and the point is I was told that my luggage cannot be direct pick up in Tokyo during check in, which means I had only 1+hours to go through the transit progress and luggage pick up. I called the airline to ask for help because this timing is arranged by them and I got a reply said “Do Your Best”. I ran like a hell in the airport and felt disappointed in how they treat client like this. I have never thought of such a big airline gives service like this.
RouteTokyo to Chaoshan via Shanghai
Date FlownDecember 2017

"quite satisfied by my flight experience"

Trip Verified | When I read about the reviews of China Eastern before my flight, I was expecting the worst. Having only paid 375 euros for a round-trip from Hamburg (Germany) to Shenzhen (China), I wasn't expecting much either. However, I was quite satisfied by my flight experience with China Eastern. The A330 from Paris to Shanghai was quite new, had a decent inflight entertainment system and the seats had a good pitch. A little minus for the service: flight attendants weren't that friendly and there was only one round of beer for the whole plane on the 11-hours flight from Paris to Shanghai. Furthermore, there is room for improvement concerning ground service and online check-in. Reserving seats was only possible via telephone, online check-in did not work at all. Probably the biggest minus was the ground personell in Shanghai - very little English skills and very rude. There is no "western" food on China Eastern flights, however almost all meals were tasty. Another plus: I was assigned an emergency Exit seat on two of four flights. All flights were on time. All in all, I would fly China Eastern again, especially with regards to the extremely low fare that I got.
AircraftA330-200/A320
RouteParis to Shenzhen via Shanghai Pudong
Date FlownMarch 2017

"served passengers politely"

(China)

Trip Verified | Hohhot to Nanjing via Shiajiazhuang. The first route to Shijiazhuang was less than 1 hour, so the airline only provided a bottle of water. The second route from Shijiazhuang to Nanjing was almost one and a half hour, the airline provided a dinner of noodles and rice, meal was delicious. During the flight the crew served passengers politely.
RouteHohhot to Nanjing via Shijiazhuang
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Avoid this airline if you can"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Guangzhou via Shanghai. This was honestly one of the worst airlines one can experience. On my trip, I was going to Guangzhou, which required a connecting flight in Shanghai (there are 2 airport in Shanghai). On the day of, the airport informed us that they gave away our seats on the connecting flight (originally we had our tickets booked to be in the same airport) and instead made us go to the other airport called Shanghai Airlines. The flight experience was pretty standard, but the aircraft arrived 1.5 hours late, which only gave us less than 1.5 hours to check out of China Eastern Airlines to Shanghai Airlines, which is about 1 hour apart. This caused us to miss our connecting flight and it also caused our return trip home to be cancelled. We purchased new tickets to go to Guangzhou and once arrived, we attempted to get the airport to re-book our flight home, but they stated that our current return flight home was still there and even gave us a confirmation print out, so we chose not to worry about it. However, on the day of, we were informed our flight was indeed cancelled and this caused us to buy new tickets for the flight home at the last minute prices which are much more expensive. When I contacted customer service for a refund the original tickets (I assumed we couldn't get it for the new ones purchased), they said that they were unable to refund those tickets, even though it was their fault we missed the flight You would think that because there was a flight delay, they would at least given us a partial refund, but there was no refund at all. Instead of a nice cheap trip to China, I had to pay over $1,500 (last minute tickets were expensive) for a trip that should have been less that $500. Avoid this airline if you can.
RouteSan Francisco to Guangzhou via Shanghai