China Eastern Airlines

"Worst airline I've seen so far"

(South Korea)

Trip Verified | Seoul to Singapore via Shanghai. Worst airline I've seen so far. I took a flight for Christmas, they suddenly changed the departing time, so I tried to contact them on the phone and by email several times but never got any reply. I decided to give them a second chance. This time I had to fly from Seoul to Singapore transfer in Shanghai. My first flight took off 3 hours late (of course they didn't warn us in advance so I enjoyed waking up early to then wait doing nothing in the airport for 3 hours), and I was supposed to have only 2 hours to transfer, so I thought I'd miss the second flight. Thankfully, they told me the second flight was still there when I arrived. I hurried up only to find it was delayed for 3 hours too. I then got in the plane, but it didn't take off. We waited 2 hours in there, with absolutely no explanation nor apologize. The only good news is they told me there would be free wifi in the plane once it takes off, but it turns out it never worked, half due to chinese laws banning facebook and many other sites and apps, and half due to the fact their wifi was shit anyway. At the end, we landed 5 hours late, therefore arriving at 3am, meaning there was no public transportation so I had to pay for an expensive taxi, and yet still received no explanation, no apologize and no compensation. To this day I still have no idea what happened. I contacted them, but of course they didn't reply. 100% will never ever use this company, again, even if they have $1 flights.
RouteSeoul to Singapore via Shanghai
Date FlownMarch 2018

"the most incompetent airline"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Tokyo via Shanghai. This is the most incompetent airline that I have ever seen period. Me and my daughter (16 years old) were given separate seat in 3 flights! My daughter was very nervous to be alone. I had to ask a lot of people to move around to accommodate ourselves! The airplanes are so cramp that you can not move at all. In a 13 hour flight the served a dinner and for another 10 hours not a single time they offer even a glass of water. The attendants don't show up when you request! They brought the dinner roll about 30 minutes after dinner serving. There is only one person serving with cart. Our return flight from Osaka to Shanghai was delayed 3 hours and we lost the next flight to LA. The most interesting part was that there not a single cancellation from other airline. When we got to PVG airport since we were late we were going around for 30 minutes until airplane stopped far and we were transfer by bus (cold at night). Since there were so many flight canceled or delayed it took us 3 hours to get a transfer for 24 hours later. Then took us another one hour to get a bus and go to so called hotel. OMG, motel is much better than that. Our flight landed at 9 PM and we got to bed at 2 AM. The next day out flight to LA was delayed again for 2 hours. This time they said they wait for transfers! I asked them why did not you wait for us yesterday. They said we only wait for 10 people or more! About 35 people came from Bangkok to PVG (trasnfer) to go to Los Angeles but their boarding pass was only till PVG and their luggage were stranded in Shanghai because they could not leave that terminal in airport to transfer them!! This was the strangest thing I have heard.
RouteLos Angeles to Tokyo via Shanghai
Date FlownMarch 2018

"thought it a fair price"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Bangkok via Shanghai. I travelled with my 4 sons on this flight. We paid roughly $2500 per ticket and thought it a fair price for the services rendered. Flights were on schedule in both directions. Stewardess were dressed beautifully. The attention to detail was 3 star, they were efficient and always in a hurry. Didn’t take time to talk much to us. The seats were a wishbone style, 1-2-1 in business. Me being a big man 76 inches 290 lbs, I really didn’t enjoy the room for my legs in the lie flat position. My kids enjoyed their space. I would definitely fly them again.. They still need to work on smiles and a friendlier attitude. Just for comparison sake, Japan Airlines has a better customer service from stewardess and an attention to detail and very polite and humble. Price is higher but still fair for the service they render.
AircraftBoeing 777-300 ER
RouteLos Angeles to Bangkok via Shanghai

"No one speaks English"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Manila via Shanghai. Flight to Manila Clark leg was cancelled after ticket purchased. Never informed us. Chicago told us not to worry Shanghai knew of the problem and would take care of getting us to Clark. Shanghai knew nothing when arrived. No one speaks English and it took several hours to get assistance. The next day we were told Manila knew of our issue and a bus would take us to Clark. Never happened and we were stuck in Manila. No help and nobody knew anything. We had to hire an expensive van to take us to Clark. We expect something done about this horrible experience. Now we have to worry how to get back to Manila on return trip. Clark is closer but is now our problem getting home since China eastern failed in helping us.
RouteChicago to Manila via Shanghai

"service was good"

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Los Angeles, both flights were on time and service was good. The meal quality was good and food was tasty. Much better than United, Delta or American Airlines. They also provide free wifi so you can use the internet on board. Slippers were provided too. Cabin staff were helpful and polite. Lavatories were kept very clean. Legroom was 32 inches, just enough to stretch the leg. No need to pay a fee for extra leg room, like UA or AA.
RouteShanghai to Los Angeles
Date FlownMarch 2018

"kindness seemed to be forced"

Trip Verified | The business class hard product is very nice. I was fortunate enough to sit in the small business class cabin near the front of the plane. There was Wifi free on the flight but it was slow and botchy. The service from the flight attendants was cold and kindness seemed to be forced.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteChicago to Shanghai
Date FlownJune 2017

"I will not fly China Eastern again"

Trip Verified | New York to Shanghai. I would discourage travelers from flying China Eastern Airlines. Their fare is cheaper than many competitors but you get what you pay for. My flight from JFK New York to Shanghai was unpleasant in many ways. First the seating area was not cleaned. There were crumbs in the arm rest. The pillow and blanket came unwrapped which makes you wonder if they cleaned it between flights. The food choices were limited. They show you the menu but two out of three choices were unavailable. Lastly, the flight attendants were absent mostly and not helpful. There were kids squatting in the middle of the aisle talking loudly during a night flight from NYC to Shanghai (mind you this was in business class where passengers were trying to get some rest or trying to get work done) and the flight attendants were nowhere in sight to help escort the kids back to their seats. Also, the flight attendants were not the friendliest. When I asked for a seltzer water I was met with annoyance then a curt hand off of the can (no cup). I will not fly China Eastern again if I can help it.
RouteNew York to Shanghai
Date FlownMarch 2018

"What a nightmare experience"

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Los Angeles via Shanghai. Ground staff in Jakarta did not tell me I should becollect my luggages at Shanghai Pudong airport, til the rude Transfer staff at Shanghai airport told me, meaning I have to exit the Immigration. They didn’t give me any paper, so the Immigration Officer lady didn’t let me out, she told me to get back to the Transfer desk ask for a boarding pass for the next flight. There were 3-4 staff at the transfer desk, no one understand what to do and directed me to the fist staff I met. That lady was still there talking on the phone again n talking to other staff, completely ignored me and other customers behind me. Finally, she left, changing shift I guess, the man gave me a piece of paper (flight itinerary). After second time in line, the Officer told me to fill in the blue paper, not the yellow given by the airlines, she pointed me to the back table, meaning I have to get it n back in line. Frustrated enough, at the third time in line, the Officer complained in Chinese and made a phone call to the Airline Transfer staff, I assume he did not give me a proper paper, took her n other staff to work on my paper, finally I got out. The trouble was not finish here. The lady at the next check in for transfer was not nice. After weight my luggage she told me to exit and go to the third floor to enter the departure gate. As I didn’t get what she said at the first time, I repeat what she said which was wrong. She yelled “go exit and go to the third floor”. What a nightmare experience at my first flight with China Eastern Airlines.
RouteJakarta to Los Angeles via Shanghai
Date FlownMarch 2018

"never recommend this airline"

(Bangladesh)

Trip Verified | Dhaka to Shenyang via Kunming. Disgusting service and the quality of the airline. Would never recommend this airline. This is by the far the worst airline i have ever took and i'm a very frequent traveler. This had a 6 hour delay before it departed. Never use this airline.
RouteDhaka to Shenyang via Kunming
Date FlownAugust 2017

"well worth the price"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Shanghai. This is the third time I have flown with china eastern in business. This time I noticed some improvements, I was offered pre departure champagne which was not the case a year ago. After departure from Toronto was offered pajamas, the service was good and food from very good. I found the crew very good and language was not a problem IFE could be better with some more choices also the remote control at my seat did not work at all but the touch screen worked so I didn't find it a big problem. The amenity kit is very basic and could use an upgrade also the seat while being very roomy and private could use a pad when using it in the bed mode. The lounge in Shanghai was deserted when I was there so was plenty of room and lots of staff there to assist you. All in all well worth the price (far less than EVA, Cathay or Korean Air).
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER