China Eastern Airlines

"how bad this airline is"

Trip Verified | New York to Manila via Shanghai. I booked December 2017, my mistake was i read the reviews after I booked the flight. From then i kept on checking my flights online and until march 30 it was valid until i didn't see my flight from Shanghai to Manila. I called the airline right away, but their customer service cant speak enough English that the only thing they told me was “no information” 5 times. Every week i kept calling until a manager told me that my Shanghai to Manila flight was cancelled and its either they rebook my ticket or refund. But according to reviews, they dont really get the refund so i just asked for a rebook. I arrived in Shanghai in 7pm and the flight they book me going to Manila was the next day 6:55pm. I didnt argue and just accept the flight without any compensation, free hotel. I waited in the airport for almost a day without social media. After I arrived in shanghai, i didn't know that i have to get out and get a 24 hr transit since my flight will be the next day. And i couldn't check in a well because it was to early for the next day flight. I can go on and on about how bad this airline is.
RouteNew York to Manila via Shanghai
Date FlownApril 2018

"the flight wasn't too bad"

c✅ Trip Verified | vSingapore to Seoul via Shanghai. Decent flight with reasonable entertainment and price worth. I bought my tickets to 2 weeks before the trip. It was about at least SGD500 cheaper than Korea Air, Asiana and SQ during cherry blossom season in Korea. Noting that this flight was cheaper than Scoot (budget airline). This was my first flight with this airline and I was prepared for the worst and hoping that I am safe and my luggage were in the right place. Turns out that the flight wasn't too bad. Service was nice, food and drinks were ok. I have a 2hr stop over in Shanghai and everything was on time. The seats were clean. Other customers may not give you the most pleasant experience (a lot of noisy tour groups) but that is not within airline's control. They gave out pillows if you need. Blankets can be taken off plane if you want. One thing I dont like about this airline is their lack of control on how many cabin luggages a customer can bring in. So many customers brought 2 to 3 big bags that cannot even fit in cabin and a lot of customers were not able to use the cabin due to these greedy customers. It will be dangerous if this plane were to get any accident if you need to evacuate but you will probably get jammed along the way because too many luggage blocking the path. I haven't seen any other airlines allowing this before.
RouteSingapore to Seoul via Shanghai
Date FlownApril 2018

"They yelled at passengers"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Ho chi Minh via Shanghai. I traveled With my spouse and 2 little infants, I purchased children's seat and somehow they given separate seats. Two of under 2 old sons can't sit without us. System need to improve. Flight Shanghai to Ho chi Minh was delayed for 90 mins without any announcement. Ground staff need to improve. They yelled at passengers without any reason. All flight entertainment and meals was okay. Free hotels if flights layovers 12 hrs.
RouteLos Angeles to Ho chi Minh via Shanghai
Date FlownMarch 2018

"there was no entertainment"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Shanghai. Old, dirty and unfriendly. The dirt everywhere was unimaginable, probably not cleaned for years. On the 11 hour flight there was no entertainment, no screen. Staff didn’t understand when we asked for cleaning material, as we didn’t even want to touch anything on the flight
RouteHonolulu to Shanghai
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Chinese Fawlty Towers in the air"

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Melbourne. Our flight on China Eastern resulted from a delay in our original Qantas flight (delayed 8 hours) and we were able to obtain this alternative, direct flight instead. Check in was pain free. Boarding was efficient and everyone on was on board in time for our scheduled departure time. The flight pulled out on time, but it did take about 20 minuts before we were airborne (busy time at Shanghai Pudong). Staff were relatively friendly and most spoke some English. The aircraft looked new and clean. A pillow and sealed blanket provided. The leg room was quite good for economy. In flight entertainment pretty good, except for the inflight advertising that occurred following completion of each program. Good screen size. The inflight meal services was memorable (awful). The food would have to be the worst I have encountered on any airline & air staff seem to go about it all about face. The drink cart rolled out first, but before it arrived at our aisle, a hot meal was handed out. On completion of the meal, we were offered a drink. Yes please, I will have a red wine. Given about one centimetre of wine, being the end of the bottle. I did ask for a bit more (the stewardess looked shocked, but I did get another couple of centimetres). The wine was quite good. After all this, they came around and asked us if we wanted a bread roll. desert, some cut up water melon. Tea or coffee not offered. It was a bit like a Chinese Fawlty Towers in the air. I did notice a couple of (presumably) Chinese passengers eating food they had brought on board with them. Obviously they were aware of what the meal service was like. Breakfast was equally as bad as the dinner service. We arrived in Melbourne about 30 minutes ahead of the scheduled arrival time. Except for the meal services, the flight and aircraft were good.
RouteShanghai to Melbourne
Date FlownApril 2018

"Worst airline I've seen so far"

(South Korea)

Trip Verified | Seoul to Singapore via Shanghai. Worst airline I've seen so far. I took a flight for Christmas, they suddenly changed the departing time, so I tried to contact them on the phone and by email several times but never got any reply. I decided to give them a second chance. This time I had to fly from Seoul to Singapore transfer in Shanghai. My first flight took off 3 hours late (of course they didn't warn us in advance so I enjoyed waking up early to then wait doing nothing in the airport for 3 hours), and I was supposed to have only 2 hours to transfer, so I thought I'd miss the second flight. Thankfully, they told me the second flight was still there when I arrived. I hurried up only to find it was delayed for 3 hours too. I then got in the plane, but it didn't take off. We waited 2 hours in there, with absolutely no explanation nor apologize. The only good news is they told me there would be free wifi in the plane once it takes off, but it turns out it never worked, half due to chinese laws banning facebook and many other sites and apps, and half due to the fact their wifi was shit anyway. At the end, we landed 5 hours late, therefore arriving at 3am, meaning there was no public transportation so I had to pay for an expensive taxi, and yet still received no explanation, no apologize and no compensation. To this day I still have no idea what happened. I contacted them, but of course they didn't reply. 100% will never ever use this company, again, even if they have $1 flights.
RouteSeoul to Singapore via Shanghai
Date FlownMarch 2018

"the most incompetent airline"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Tokyo via Shanghai. This is the most incompetent airline that I have ever seen period. Me and my daughter (16 years old) were given separate seat in 3 flights! My daughter was very nervous to be alone. I had to ask a lot of people to move around to accommodate ourselves! The airplanes are so cramp that you can not move at all. In a 13 hour flight the served a dinner and for another 10 hours not a single time they offer even a glass of water. The attendants don't show up when you request! They brought the dinner roll about 30 minutes after dinner serving. There is only one person serving with cart. Our return flight from Osaka to Shanghai was delayed 3 hours and we lost the next flight to LA. The most interesting part was that there not a single cancellation from other airline. When we got to PVG airport since we were late we were going around for 30 minutes until airplane stopped far and we were transfer by bus (cold at night). Since there were so many flight canceled or delayed it took us 3 hours to get a transfer for 24 hours later. Then took us another one hour to get a bus and go to so called hotel. OMG, motel is much better than that. Our flight landed at 9 PM and we got to bed at 2 AM. The next day out flight to LA was delayed again for 2 hours. This time they said they wait for transfers! I asked them why did not you wait for us yesterday. They said we only wait for 10 people or more! About 35 people came from Bangkok to PVG (trasnfer) to go to Los Angeles but their boarding pass was only till PVG and their luggage were stranded in Shanghai because they could not leave that terminal in airport to transfer them!! This was the strangest thing I have heard.
RouteLos Angeles to Tokyo via Shanghai
Date FlownMarch 2018

"thought it a fair price"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Bangkok via Shanghai. I travelled with my 4 sons on this flight. We paid roughly $2500 per ticket and thought it a fair price for the services rendered. Flights were on schedule in both directions. Stewardess were dressed beautifully. The attention to detail was 3 star, they were efficient and always in a hurry. Didn’t take time to talk much to us. The seats were a wishbone style, 1-2-1 in business. Me being a big man 76 inches 290 lbs, I really didn’t enjoy the room for my legs in the lie flat position. My kids enjoyed their space. I would definitely fly them again.. They still need to work on smiles and a friendlier attitude. Just for comparison sake, Japan Airlines has a better customer service from stewardess and an attention to detail and very polite and humble. Price is higher but still fair for the service they render.
AircraftBoeing 777-300 ER
RouteLos Angeles to Bangkok via Shanghai

"No one speaks English"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Manila via Shanghai. Flight to Manila Clark leg was cancelled after ticket purchased. Never informed us. Chicago told us not to worry Shanghai knew of the problem and would take care of getting us to Clark. Shanghai knew nothing when arrived. No one speaks English and it took several hours to get assistance. The next day we were told Manila knew of our issue and a bus would take us to Clark. Never happened and we were stuck in Manila. No help and nobody knew anything. We had to hire an expensive van to take us to Clark. We expect something done about this horrible experience. Now we have to worry how to get back to Manila on return trip. Clark is closer but is now our problem getting home since China eastern failed in helping us.
RouteChicago to Manila via Shanghai

"service was good"

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Los Angeles, both flights were on time and service was good. The meal quality was good and food was tasty. Much better than United, Delta or American Airlines. They also provide free wifi so you can use the internet on board. Slippers were provided too. Cabin staff were helpful and polite. Lavatories were kept very clean. Legroom was 32 inches, just enough to stretch the leg. No need to pay a fee for extra leg room, like UA or AA.
RouteShanghai to Los Angeles