China Eastern Airlines

"well worth the price"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Shanghai. This is the third time I have flown with china eastern in business. This time I noticed some improvements, I was offered pre departure champagne which was not the case a year ago. After departure from Toronto was offered pajamas, the service was good and food from very good. I found the crew very good and language was not a problem IFE could be better with some more choices also the remote control at my seat did not work at all but the touch screen worked so I didn't find it a big problem. The amenity kit is very basic and could use an upgrade also the seat while being very roomy and private could use a pad when using it in the bed mode. The lounge in Shanghai was deserted when I was there so was plenty of room and lots of staff there to assist you. All in all well worth the price (far less than EVA, Cathay or Korean Air).
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteToronto to Shanghai

"Do recommend it"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Manila via Shanghai. China Eastern Airline offers free on-board wifi. Besides that, food and service are good too. Their Business Class Lounge at PVG is decent in size and amenities. Do recommend it.
AircraftA330-200
RouteVancouver to Manila via Shanghai
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"flight attendants were very pleasant"

Trip Verified | I purchased ticket economy class on China Eastern for about almost half price of competing airlines, then after reading reviews was somewhat scared that I had made a big mistake, but I had no problems. People posted that flight attendants were rude with bad movies and lots flight delays and no baggage transfers, I had no issues at all. This was my third trip to the Philippines and had used two other airlines before and had delays, my trip with China Eastern went great with no delays, baggage was auto transfered, movie section good and flight attendants were very pleasant. As meals go we were served two meals and it's airline food, no worse or better than competing airlines.
RouteWashington to Cebu via Shanghai
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"cannot expect anything from them"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Prague. Flights were on time, went well, service as expected. But both of my suitcases got lost. One was received the next day but another one got held at PVG for security check. I was asked if the staff at PVG actually can destroy my lock (my suitcase is Commodore brand, meaning if they did, the whole suitcase would be destroyed!)! Then I was asked to send my suitcase key to TPE airport and that they will deliver it to PVG to open my suitcase! So I did and when they received it at TPE they told me that China Eastern staff refused to take my key to PVG with them, because the person who asked me for the key hadn't asked them before she asked me for my key! Then I was even asked to deal with this issue myself. I refused all of it, meaning to destroy my suitcase and to go personally to PVG to retrieve it! Somehow they got my key to PVG and 4 days later I finally received my suitcase, obviously no threat was inside and all of my stuff was there, even though messed up. After this horrible experience I decided to complain to China Eastern only to find out that there is no email address to complain in China. I called their Taipei office where I was given 2 strange email addresses, to one of them my email was not even delivered and I have never heard from anybody from the second email address ever. Then I found that there is an option to submit a complaint directly on the UK website of China Eastern, which I did. I complained that nobody answered my emails from China and asked them to kindly forward my complaint to the corresponding office explaining all my experience! Never heard from anybody! Submitted another complaint a week later and still till today no message from China Eastern whatsoever.Conclusion: average, mostly cheaper airline with average service aboard, until something goes wrong! Then you cannot expect anything from them at all!
RoutePRG to TPE via PVG
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"prompt with drinks and food"

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Singapore. After being initially concerned about our travel team booking me on China Eastern (prices were high due to Chinese New Year) I conceded to China Eastern. GATE: Quick and efficient. We were promptly placed on a bus to the plane. At the plane, the staff were waiting to check boarding passes (this was the only feeling of rush with passengers pushing to get onto the stairs for some reason) Boarding was friendly, they quickly identified me as a westerner and spoke decent English to welcome on board. Take off I was told to take my headphones off before take off which seems normal for China Eastern. The crew in Economy were young, but good with English. were prompt with drinks and food. They rotated the cabin with water almost every 20 minutes. Food was okay some Pork thing with rice and watermelon as the desert. Standard Economy food. IFE Screen was clear, but limited options. about 8 Blockbusters and only 10 TV options. Headphone socket was temperamental, but this seems to be the norm in economy now. I have to be honest to say it was more enjoyable than the Singapore Airlines flight I did on the way to Shanghai. In saying that, this was my first flight with China Eastern.
RouteShanghai to Singapore
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"chose because of it's low fare"

(China)

Trip Verified | I chose China Eastern from Guangzhou to Kunming mainly because of it's low fare and Kunming is the hub for China Eastern. The aircraft is Boeing 737 which is new and could provide 12 first class seats. However the cabin crew were too busy to provide a good service during the fight. The foodsin flight are too salty and the coffee is not hot enough.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteGuangzhou to Kunming
Date FlownMay 2017

"this is very untrustworthy"

Trip Verified | New York to Manila via Shanghai. I tried to get my middle name to delete one letter which a 3rd party made me put on. I went to the airport to try to get this changed as it was almost impossible to get anyone on the phone live and I did not have the time to wait. When I went to the airport with all the supporting documentation they did absolutely nothing to help me on the then scaring me into thinking that I would not be allowed to get through emigration in that I should buy in additional last minute ticket at 2 to 3 times the price. I tried numerous times while on vacation to rectify the problem and all they did was talk to me like I was in the 3rd grade and did absolutely nothing to help the which was a scare tactic. Of course on the very intelligent person and did not listen to anything they said and when on my trip and took the risk and of course immigration let me pass as I hide all the supporting documentation. I write this review because not everyone has the same intellect nor experience that I have and many people get scared and to find another last minute ticket which could be 2 to 3 times the price of the original ticket which to me and again this is just my opinion but to me this is very untrustworthy and is a scam in my opinion which is my right to state.
RouteNew York to Manila via Shanghai
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Service is awful and messy"

Trip Verified | Horrible airline! I supposed to take Jan 29tth China Eastern flight from Toronto to Shanghai, (too much to describe the details of the mess). Now on Jan 30 I am still stuck in the airport waiting with all the other same people. It’s horrible! Service is awful and messy. People are getting angry because we are just told the system still not fix yet and need few more hours to fix. That means we need to wait another day. And there is no any arrangement yet. This is my first time to try China Eastern airlines, I feel very upset!
RouteToronto to Shanghai
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"worst airline I've ever flown"

Trip Verified | This is by far the worst airline I've ever flown. Flight was delayed for three hours causing me to miss my connecting flight from Shanghai to Guangzhou. The chairs were narrow with little to no leg room. Most flights allow you to use cellphone after 20-30 mins take off but phones are prohibited for the whole entire flight with this airline. After I landed in Shanghai, there was three employees to help about 70 people who needed accommodations. They just wrote a flight number on my boarding pass and told me to get my bag with no further instructions. They did provided transport to and from the airport but I almost missed it because they didn't announce that they were leaving in English, which I get that it's not a English speaking country but there were many foreigners like me that didn't understand what wasn't going on and just needed reassurance. We were driven to our hotel, more like cockroach tower, thirty mins away from the actual airport. The next morning I was driven back to the airport three hours in advance for a domestic flight. Needless to say after my first experience with China Eastern I wasn't looking forward for my trip back to Toronto with them. But oh boy, it got worst. My route was from Guangzhou to Shanghai then Toronto. On my flight was Guangzhou to Shanghai, a trip that usually take 1 hour and 30 mins took about 3 hour and 30 mins. The flight took off on time but due to some fog i Shanghai the plane landed in another airport to refuel. This was what they said and even writing it out now it made no sense. There was obviously a technical error on their end where they needed to stop at another airport to refuel. When I arrived in Shanghai, my flight to Toronto was actually delayed so I had a chance to still fly out that day. But I wasn't informed of this until after they told me to wait for my luggage, which took about 1 hour to come out, and by the time I got my luggage the flight already closed their doors. There were once again only three people to help ~40 people to redirect their flight. I was forced to stay a night again, another cockroach tower and this time even further from the airport. After all of this happened, when I was checking in, the employee was using his phone the whole time while checking me in. He was so invested on his phone that I had to tell him to give me back my passport after everything was done. This is not just one act of horrible customer service executed by china Eastern but multiple and to many paying customers.
RouteGuangzhou to Toronto via Shanghai
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"food options were all tasty"

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Sydney. A complimentary limo service from Shanghai hotel to PVG which luckily arrived early, as the queues for security at PVG seemed endless. The PVG lounge was well equipped with showers and plenty of quiet zones with charging facilities and a good range of food and beverages. Better and more quiet in the upstairs area though. On board and closed up ready to go on time and arrived in SYD a little early. Seating layout was the older 2-2-2 but OK for a good sleep with the seats flat, although the cabin was kept a little too warm for my sleeping habits. Sleep took priority over IFE so I cannot comment on that. The food options were all tasty, with good, attentive service and plenty of snacks during the flight if needed. Spirit offerings eventually had to be refused as the servings were becoming a little too frequent. Good service levels on the return international flight. This was the first flight allowing phones to be switched on in flight mode following a relaxation of the rules by the government.
AircraftA330-200