Cathay Pacific Airways

"reliable and efficient"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Manila to Hong Kong. Cathay Pacific is highly reliable and efficient. The sense of efficiency comes across from all the interaction I have had with their staff, in particular, the cabin crew who always seem to be dashing off to accomplish some urgent tasks. The seats of the plane I was on seem dated but otherwise quite comfortable. The inflight entertainment was good, with lots available to distract me for the duration of the flight. The food for this 2 hours 10 mins flight was unfortunately quite small and come in a paper bag. I have been on flights that are much shorter but had more generous food options.
RouteManila to Hong Kong
Date FlownMarch 2018

"a painful travel experience"

Trip Verified | Chennai to Los Angeles via Hong Kong. The 1:50am flight was delayed until after 5:30am, an unpleasant all night experience waiting in an Indian airport. The next flight in connection was delayed in Hong Kong. On the ground in Los Angeles 90 minutes and the first bag hasn’t arrived yet. The entire occupancy of the plane has cleared customers and is looking forlorned as the ground crew is MIA. The gentleman next to me is doing push-ups. What a painful travel experience.
RouteChennai to Los Angeles via Hong Kong
Date FlownMay 2018

"The experience was seamless"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Flew Cathay Pacific from Hong Kong to Melbourne. The flight once again operated by using A350. The aircraft was really new with HD monitors with many different movies. The cabin was dimmed once after the meal service. The cabin lighting was really warm and most of the passengers were able to sleep. Meal was served with 3 choices in dinner with a movenpick ice cream, while the breakfast was served with both English and Chinese styles. The plane was very quiet and it arrived on time. Cabin crew were really efficient offering special drinks and landing cards, which passensgers could save some time for customers and immigration. The experience was seamless where nothing can be challenged for economy class.
RouteHong Kong to Melbourne
Date FlownMay 2018

"our ground experience was unacceptable"

Trip Verified | I would have given a good rating to Cathay Pacific had it been only from the flight experience. However, our ground experience was unacceptable. We missed our connecting flight due to a delayed departure. Upon arrival in our connection airport we were short of time and when we asked for information they just told us to hurry up. We ran due to lack of a proper update and still ended up missing our flight. They put us on the next flight which was leaving 9hrs later and they didn't give us any compensation. The only thing we received was one HK$75 per person, which was not even enough to buy a meal deal at the airport.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Hanoi via Hong Kong

"efficient ground service"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Hong Kong. Very efficient ground service. Unexpectedly they also had Chinese speaking ground staff in Australian airport. Seats were great as they used to be with a wide range of movie selection on plane. Food was average but they still provided wide range of drinks and wine. The time arrived Hong Kong on time and the luggage was already well ready when we reach the luggage belt. Very pleased with the overall experience. Last but not least, the fare was really reasonable during low season.
RouteMelbourne to Hong Kong
Date FlownMay 2018

"service efficient with a smile"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Sydney. Final leg of a trip from the UK. The previous three sectors were on BA metal and this on Cathay. It was on an A330 -300 which is one of my favourite aircraft. Reasonably quiet, easy to get on and off and very comfortable to ride in. CX has always had a good product on both the hard, aircraft, side and then the soft skills. Typically Asian service, efficient and with a smile. The IFE was good with plenty of choice for a mid haul of 9 hours. I declined the breakfast service (congee, fruit or eggs) as 4 am is a bit rich and early for my palate. The fact that there was little to say about this leg is a testament to the CX product.
AircraftA330-300
RouteHong Kong to Sydney
Date FlownMay 2018

"was a terrible experience"

Trip Verified | London to Sydney via Hong Kong. What a terrible waste of money it was spending just under 1925 GBP to travel Premium Economy with Cathay Pacific. I will never fly with them again. I booked and paid in May 2017 for a Premium Economy flight to Sydney. I was flying out to Australia on 26th September 2017 and returning 25th April 2018. At 73 years of age and travelling alone, I thought that I would treat myself and incur the extra expense of being able to book my seats in advance. However when my date for return to the UK came around I was shocked to find when using online check-in the day before travel that my previously booked window seat on the 9.5 hour leg from Sydney to Hong Kong had been allocated to somebody else. I had been bumped to an aisle seat at the back of the cabin and just a couple of feet from the economy class cabin. I queried this at Sydney airport on my departure day. They were unwilling to do anything about it. I asked the lady in my previously booked seat, how she got it. She had booked 9 months after me and was not related to the person sitting next to her, so it was obviously a Cathay malfunction. At no stage did I receive any notification of the seat change. I complained to Cathay Pacific and eventually got the promise of 100USD compensation. Still waiting. That is under 4% of the ticket price. This was a terrible experience and I will not be risking a repeat of it. My advice is to avoid Cathay Pacific.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSydney to London via Hong Kong
Date FlownApril 2018

"one of my favourite airlines"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh City. CX is always one of my favourite airlines. They definitely provide the best lounges in HK International Airlines. No matter which gate is your flight going to be, there is always one good lounge next to that area. I love the international business class of CX. Their seats are very comfortable with good entertainment system. However, their food is really getting worse and worse in the last few years. It is really sad to see such a good airline to be ruined by providing bad quality of food. Compare with the new CX business class of its A350 plane. A330 is a bit old, but still, in good quality compared with most of the other airlines. The other problem of CX is almost all of their flights are delayed. My flight was delayed for almost an hour. Since one flight is delayed, all other flight of the day will be delayed.
RouteHong Kong to Ho Chi Minh City
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"experience was satisfactory"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Hong Kong. The flight was delayed for around 4 hours. Cathay Pacific did notify me the day before departure of the delay and provided a USD15 worth of meal voucher to be spent at SFO, which was just enough to cover one meal at the terminal. The in-flight experience was satisfactory: meals were delicious for economy class and the cup noodle was a must-try. The flight time was shortened and we arrived at HKG a bit earlier than expected. Baggage claim was quick: the bags were already arriving when I cleared immigration.
RouteSan Francisco to Hong Kong
Date FlownMay 2018

"meals served a bit slowly"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to San Francisco. The overall experience was satisfactory. Check-in was smooth but I could not say the same for boarding procedure. There was no line for Marco Polo Club Green Member so most people were stuck in Economy line. There was no zoned boarding procedure for a B777 economy class, which was somehow unbelievable, so you might imagine the long queue at the gate which extended further to two adjacent boarding gates. The in-flight experience was fine: meals were served a bit slowly probably due to large numbers of customised meal choice. Cabin crew were often busy rushing back and forth to deliver customised meals first before serving the rest ordinary ones. Entertainment content was very up-to-date and contained much to choose from. Pre-landing information was accurate and clear.
AircraftB777-300ER