Cathay Pacific Airways

"food is a bit hit-and-miss for me"

Verified Review | Flew from Amsterdam to Manila (via Hong Kong) and 2 months later Manila to Amsterdam (via Hong Kong). I was very excited for the first flight. I'm a tall person but the seats were still spacious enough for me on this 11 hours flight. A few days earlier before the flight I checked online to see which TV shows and movies would be available on the flight, but while on the flight I couldn't find a specific TV show that was supposed to be available, no big deal. The food is a bit hit-and-miss for me, had a very delicious fish meal on the first flight and on another flight had a beef meal that tasted like something very simple I would cook at home quickly. For dessert they will give you an ice cream. There's also noodles available at any time during the flight if you like, and some other snacks like chocolate and chips. On the short haul flights they have chicken lattice pastry, it was very delicious. Of the 4 flights I had with them, one of them was with an older plane and had no IFE, but it was only a 2 hour flight. Flight attendants of Cathay Pacific are very courteous and listen to you. Overall good experience, would fly with them again.
RouteManila to Amsterdam via Hong Kong

"a very pleasant flight"

Verified Review | Bangkok to Chicago via Hong Kong. Check in in Bangkok was a breeze, a lot of counters open. Staff were courteous and offered to check my bags all the way through to Toronto (which was my final destination but with a different airline). Boarding commenced early, and the flight was approximately 60% load, with only 2 seats in Premium Economy filled. Arrived Hong Kong on time. The only frustrating part was the walk to the other side of the terminal for my Chicago-bound flight. I got to use The Wing lounge briefly and I was impressed but the facilities, I find the lounge super busy compared to the other ones such as The Bridge. Hong Kong to Chicago on a Boeing 777-300ER. Full flight and a slightly late due to late transfer passengers. The cabin crew proactively trying to accommodate seat change requests (some families were separated throughout the plane) despite the language barrier with some passengers who neither spoke English nor Chinese or Cantonese. Catering consistent for long haul flights. The one abnormal thing I found was the timing of the meal service. There was lunch service right after take off and the dinner was served mid-flight. After that, there were no meal service at all, just cup noodles upon request. Despite the late departure, the captain made up time on route and the flight arrived Chicago half an hour earlier than schedule. Overall, a very pleasant flight and I look forward to using their service again in the winter.
AircraftA350-900 / Boeing 777-300ER
RouteBangkok to Chicago via Hong Kong
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"total of 5-6 hours of delay"

Verified Review | New York to Singapore via Hong Kong and had a total of 5-6 hours of delay, 2-3 hours each for New York to Hong Kong and Hong Kong to Singapore. I was not given sufficient explanation for the delay and only formal apologies came back every time I asked what was going on. Experiencing such delay on top of flying 21 hours is no fun and I certainly did not pay for that. Would I fly with them again? I don't think so unless it's so cheap I can fly their business at another airline's economy fare. Average service, mediocre food.
RouteNew York to Singapore via Hong Kong
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"prices are far more competitive"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | This is the third time we have flown business class from Auckland to London via Hong Kong with Cathy Pacific. The new A350 on the Auckland / Hong Kong leg makes a big difference than the old A340. The crew were most friendly and professional. The window seats for us are the best features / direct aisle access but most of all the privacy from other passengers is what you are paying for. IFE was excellent on the A350 not so clear on the 777-300. The only disappoint for me is the food presentation and quality - its not that flash and could be better. But for us, its the cost and Cathy Pacific prices are far more competitive than than the likes of Air New Zealand, why pay 7000 NZD more each to reach the same destination and sit in inferior business class with no privacy.
AircraftA350 / Boeing 777-300
RouteAuckland to London via Hong Kong
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Slept well but was hungry"

Verified Review | Manila to Gatwick via Hong Kong. My flight from Manila was supposed to depart at 21.15 but was late due to bad weather. Boarding was slow and finally took off nearly an hour late, my stewardess was so lovely and friendly, apologised for the late arrival, I was one of three passengers in business class the other two were upgraded. By the time we arrived at HK there were just 35 minutes to catch my flight to London, I had to run to get to the internal security which was at the wrong end of the airport (had to take an internal train), when I got through to my horror the gate was a good 15 minutes away, again I had to rush to the gate, no time for lounge, made it with just a few minutes spare. I am not annoyed since this was not Cathay Pacific fault. From HKG to London, the flight was very comfortable and as I said before this A350 is so superior in so many ways. But I was not happy, I am in Business class and there were only two choices of meals and I could not eat either of them, ended up having starter, bread and cheese, I am sorry but this is not good enough, I paid a hefty price and to only have two choices of meals just because it is supper only. Slept well but was hungry. Simple solution email premium passenger giving us a choice of food to reserve on the flight. There is wi-fi but I chose not to use it.
RouteManila to Gatwick via Hong Kong
Date FlownJuly 2017

"don't mind flying them again"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Denpasar via Hong Kong. Check-in process was easy, the website check-in was manageable, however, they were unable to print my boarding pass (happy to know it didn't affect my seat selection). My only other exposure to a Top 10 Airline is Singapore and therefore, most of the time, I was comparing my experiences with both airlines. Maybe it is me, but I felt the space between spaces was slightly wider on Cathay Pacific than Singapore. For economy, Cathay Pacific did not provide us with hand towels. The airplane felt a bit older, the flight from Hong Kong to Bali, the seats didn't even recline at all. They just slid down. The flight attendants were very professional in addressing these two annoying passengers, that annoyed everyone around them. They were extremely patient with those guys as well when they asked every female attendent's number. I don't mind flying them again but I just prefer newer airplanes.
RouteLos Angeles to Denpasar via Hong Kong

"IFE was awesome"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Bangkok. My original flight was delayed due to terrible weather. The ground staff was very efficient and arrangement to an earlier flight very quickly, though I have no time to enjoy the business class lounge. The food was quite okay, not good not bad. IFE was awesome and the new long haul business class seats was a flat bed and it had so much leg room.
RouteHong Kong to Bangkok
Date FlownJune 2017

"shocking customer service"

Verified Review | Flew Cathay Pacific from Melbourne to Hong Kong. Improve your current services before you introduce anything new. Biting off more you can chew by the looks of the current cut in staff and/thus the shocking customer service. Delayed flight today, then cancelled, sent to immigration, then flight was uncancelled, walk back to gate with no guidance from Cathay staff. 300 people aimlessly walking around the airport. Got to the gate, waited half an hour to find out the flight was cancelled again. Minimal to no remorse for the inconvenience which shows their lack of regard for customer satisfaction.
RouteMelbourne to Hong Kong
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Seat was very spacious"

Verified Review | Vancouver to Bangkok via Hong Kong on Canada Day. Flight from Vancouver was delayed 2 hours due to the late departure of the aircraft from its origin (New York-JFK). Ground staff in Vancouver assured me I would have time to make the connection in Hong Kong due to the shorter flight time than usual (12.25hrs on the YVR-HKG sector compared to the usual 13.00+ hrs). I was skeptical due to my past experiences with this particular itinerary. I had no choice but to keep my old connecting flight. As a Marco Polo Club Silver Member, I was entitled to use the First and Business Class lounge in Vancouver. The YVR lounge is definitely superior to some in Hong Kong due to less crowds and quality staff. The serenity and assuring gestures from the lounge staff calmed me down and depleted my anxiety about my connecting flight. Flight to Hong Kong on a Boeing 777. Seat was very spacious with several storage compartments even in Economy Class. Inflight meals were standard as per Cathay's long haul service and cabin crew worked hard to meet every need to passengers. Arrived Hong Kong an hour later than initially scheduled, only to find out my original connection was delayed by 2 hours. Although slightly devastated, I was relieved as I no longer had to run to make the flight. The Bridge lounge in Hong Kong had adequate space and serenity for me to relax and rest prior to my connecting flight. Cathay Pacific has excelled with their lounges, whether it be the space or amenities/facilities. Flight to Bangkok boarded on time with the new departure time but took almost an hour to obtain clearance from Air Traffic Control due to the busy period at Hong Kong Airport. Ultimately, flight departed Hong Kong 3 hours late and arrived Bangkok almost 4 hours late due to congestion at Bangkok Airport, resulting in a holding of almost 30 minutes. I was upgraded to Premium Economy for the Airbus A350 flight and the seat seemed a bit tighter than the ones found on the 777s, yet the amenities and more updated IFE made up for the flaws of the seat. Service was essentially the same as Economy for the short haul and crew were great throughout. Overall, despite the delays one after another, I had a great experience flying with Cathay Pacific and I look forward to using their service again soon.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER, A350-900
RouteVancouver to Bangkok via Hong Kong
Date FlownJuly 2017

"comfortable premium economy"

Verified Review | Johannesburg to Tokyo via Hong Kong. The first leg was in a comfortable premium economy seat. Legroom was better than OK and the reclined seat in front of you was not in your face. The cabin service was good and the menu had reasonable choice. The inflight entertainment was good with games and a good selection of films. The ability to charge phones and I Pods came to. The second flight was on a plane with no premium cabin and I found the economy section cramped and the seat uncomfortable. Boarding the 2 flights was organised and managed.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy