Cathay Pacific Airways

"The seat was spacious"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Adelaide. The flight was on time and smooth. The seat was spacious which I can stretch my leg fully though I am 6 feet tall. Really appreciate the meal service which provides a nice Thai style salad as the appetiser with a Malay curry chicken as main. Dessert was impressive, with cheese cakes and chocolate bars. Amenities Kit was also provided with branded body care products. Only pain point was the lacking of internet connectivity.
RouteHong Kong to Adelaide
Date FlownAugust 2018

"poorest quality airline"

Not Verified | I recently flew Dubai to Auckland via Hong Kong return and was very disappointed with the service. Traveling long haul, I figured it would be worth the extra money to go with a good airline so paid significantly more than competing airlines. Not so! The airline ran out of meals (except for fish) so gave me and a number of other guests a pot noodle snack. They also ran out of chicken and vegetarian meals on the first leg of the trip, even though we were seated in the middle rather than towards the back of the plane. Very poor planning and organization it seems since this seems to be a consistent issue. Although the food was pretty decent to be fair. My bag didn’t make the second leg of the journey despite a 15 hour layover (plenty of time). I’d been in the same clothes for 2 days and was given nothing, not even a toothbrush. I literally had the clothes on my back and travelling from 45 degrees celcius to 12 degrees, I was very, very cold! On the return journey, my husband wasn’t travelling due to a sudden death in the family. Having paid over US $3000 for the flight, I figured at least I’d have an empty seat beside me. I explained this upon check in and was told that they would be re-selling the seat which they did. I hadn’t given due notice to the cancellation due to the circumstance so I wouldn’t be getting any refund or compensation. They didn’t even upgrade me to Premium Economy or Business and there were empty seats. The customer service was astoundingly poor. “Please” and “thank you” we’re rarely reciprocated. When handing out meals, “coming through, coming through, coming through” was belted out and the attendants barged through the aisle. Moral of the story, you don’t always get what you pay for. The point of this review; choose a cheaper airline! I’ve travelled on budget airlines that offer a far superior service and have much better customer service. This is not the rant of someone who expects a stellar service and everything to be pristine. The poor service was consistent on the 4 flights I’ve taken in the last couple of weeks with Cathay Pacific. As a frequent flyer (I’ve flown to a number of countries across 5 continents in the last year just to give some idea), this really is one of the poorest quality airlines I’ve ever flown with and will be avoiding this airline at all cost in the future.
RouteAuckland to Dubai via Hong Kong
Date FlownAugust 2018

"Big fan of IFE"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Dubai to Manila via Hong Kong. As a MarcoPolo member, I feel special. Service from ground staff to cabin were amazing, crew really friendly. Big fan of IFE. Good selection of beverage.
RouteDubai to Manila via Hong Kong

"truly was cattle class"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Hong Kong. Its been many years since I flew Cathay Pacific Economy. I was a Diamond member back in the 1980's. The journey was on time. However plane was dirty, food was average to say the least. But my biggest complaint, is no leg room, this plane had previously flown in to Hong Kong from Sydney. As a medical professional the leg room supplied is below safe levels, 2 hours was uncomfortable, 9 hrs and it would have killed me. This is supposed to be a 5 star airline, act like it, 31 or 32 inch pitch is not enough. It truly was cattle class.
RouteBangkok to Hong Kong
Date FlownJuly 2018

"crew were mostly friendly"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Ho Chi Minh Cith via Hong Kong, returning Hanoi to Gatwick via Hong Kong. Fast check-in in London and Hanoi, helpful ground staff, rapid boarding, and very easy transits at HKG, which is a wonderful airport to use. The flights were on time, and were on A350s (except Hanoi-Hong Kong, which was an A330) which is a fantastic aircraft to fly in - quiet, well pressurised, sensitively lit, spacious, comfortable seats. I think only the B787 is in the same league as the A350 for passenger comfort in economy. In-flight entertainment was excellent, with a lot of new release films to choose from. I enjoyed the camera views available on the A350. In-flight food was good but nothing to write home about, although the snack bar at the back of the plane was excellent. Cabin crew were mostly friendly. The one negative was being forced to shut the window blinds after lunch on the LGW-HKG leg - departure was at 11.15am so I had no desire to sleep or be surrounded by darkness from about 2pm! Would definitely use Cathay again, but would be nice to see them use the A350 on routes to LHR, as LGW isn't the nicest airport (I doubt this will happen any time soon though due to the lack of first class on the A350).
RouteGatwick to Ho Chi Minh City via Hong Kong
Date FlownApril 2018

"not take Cathay Pacific again"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Singapore. Unfortunately took this Cathay Pacific flight in Jan 2018 from HKG to SIN during midnight, very sad news was the last minute aircraft changes due to NO reason. From A350 1x2x1 seat configurations to B777 2x3x2 seat configurations, the cabin was so narrow, very similar to economy class seats. I missed out my meal service, I understand passengers may sleep during the midnight flight, but there was no one asking about if I am okay to wake up during the meal service, after I woke up, there was no on asking if I want have some meal before the flight landed. Will not take Cathay Pacific flight again.
RouteHong Kong to Singapore
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"What a nice airline"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Hyderabad via Via Hong Kong, we had a slight delay but they apologized nicely and when we got onboard CX879 to Hong Kong the hospitality got even nicer with the flight attendants stowed your luggage in the overhead compartments. What a nice airline.
AircraftBoeing 777-300er
RouteSan Francisco to Hyderabad via Via Hong Kong
Date FlownMay 2018

"been delayed ridiculously"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Bangkok. I reckon for the past 8 flights I’ve been on with them this year, they have been delayed ridiculously (two hours). Other airlines are not affected as much it seems. The advertisement of duty free sales in the inflight entertainment system is very annoying as well as unnecessary PA announcements such as that they’re collecting donations for unicef. Their method of contacting customers regarding ticket bookings is terrible too. I was once called and sent a very vague email not mentioning the reason for contacting me. I only realised a couple of hours before a supposedly booked flight that the credit card payment didn’t go through and that was what they were calling about. Would have been nice to have mentioned it as on the email instead of saying “we tried to call you please reply when you are free” - which I did reply ASAP with no follow up. Changing flights from overseas is a problem too if you enter your asiamiles number when calling in as it directs you to an office which cannot handle ticketing! They told me to call again and not enter my number - silly.
RouteHong Kong to Bangkok

"Extremely disappointing trip"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Tel-Aviv via Hong Kong. Extremely disappointing trip. The return leg involved a side trip to Osaka, flying back via Tokyo. Aside from cramped and uncomfortable seats, I was surprised at how truly awful the food was. This was consistent across all six flights. In flight service was mixed - ranging from not very good to ok. The overall experience was the feeling that I was on a budget airline. Upgraded to premium economy on two of the long haul legs of the trip. While the seat was a lot more comfortable, the food was the same - close to inedible. I don't know why, but I expected more of Cathay. Unlikely to fly with them again.
AircraftVarious
RouteSydney to Tel-Aviv via Hong Kong
Date FlownApril 2018

"only positive thing is their legroom"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | This is my second time to take Cathay Pacific flying from Manila to San Diego via Hong Kong. The food served was really bad with an after taste not to mention the fact that the flight was 2.5 hrs delayed. We were held inside the aircraft for 2hrs and the other 30mins was due to late boarding. I wont take Cathay Pacific anymore. The only positive thing is their legroom which is more spacious than other airlines.
RouteManila to San Diego via Hong Kong