Cathay Pacific Airways

"I was not disappointed"

Verified Review | Uneventful flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong. I had some very good experiences in the past with Cathay Pacific, and this time, I was not disappointed. Seats in Economy class were comfortable, the service was friendly and efficient and the meal was tasty.
RouteBangkok to Hong Kong

"disillusioned and unhappy"

Verified Review | London to Hong Kong. It seems from this trip that Cathay Pacific have followed British Airways in cutting standards of what they give during the flight. Seat comfort is fairly standard, cramped economy class of today, but I was shocked at condition of the cabin. Many seats with damaged, torn covers, armrests dented and scratched and stains on the carpets. Worst of all is the poor food served and I would have rather a low-cost option where I could buy something decent to eat onboard. The cabin staff seemed disillusioned and unhappy in their service, and maybe they are fed up with cutbacks? Sad to see a once great airline drop to such low levels.
RouteLondon to Hong Kong

"the crew were rude"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Gatwick to Hong Kong, The A350 was a beautiful aircraft to fly on and made the long 12 hour journey much easier, a very nice plane to travel on. Cathay Pacific did not have a good style of boarding, rather than boarding economy from back to front to avoid congestion, all of economy was called at once and boarding took way too long and there was too much isle congestion. The cabin crew were not friendly or helpful at all, on most airlines I've flown the cabin crew greet you and direct you to your seat, on Cathay you get on, nothing happens and you find your own way, the crew just stood there talking. The seats were comfortable although the seat pockets on the seats were directly connected with fabric and no internal plastic, meaning whenever you or somebody else went into the seat pocket, the person in front felt it quite a lot and it was frustrating while trying to sleep. The meal options werent great, considering it was a flight from England to Asia, you'd expect there to be British style options as well as Asian, not on this flight. On dinner service the crew were rude, "what do you want" I understand their first language is not english, but being a flight from an English speaking country you'd expect there to be a little better knowledge. I noticed most people had bread rolls, I didn't get one so I asked for one, the attendant thought I was trying to get two and explained it was only one per passenger, I told her that I hadn't been given one and she didn't believe me. All in all the flight was average, but Cathay was disappointing and I wouldn't fly with them in future unless it was considerably cheaper than other options.
AircraftA350-900
RouteGatwick to Hong Kong

"The food was great"

(Philippines)

Verified Review | Manila to Amsterdam via Hong Kong. In Manila, I wasn't set to leave until 12 noon but they gave me the option to board the 8.30am flight to Hong Kong, which gave me a chance to relax a bit when I got there. The food was great for the long haul leg and the schedule was smartly done to minimise jetlag. The crew of both flights were helpful and they gave me an extra meal when I wasn't satisfied with the first round. I will fly with them again.
RouteManila to Amsterdam via Hong Kong

"crew are a bit slack"

Verified Review | Paris to Hong Kong. Well it seems the Europe run flight crew are a bit slack compared to the Sydney and HK crew. But first, the Premium Economy section toilet was broken, so we had to go way down the back of the plane and stand in long queues to use the loo. There was no salt and pepper. We asked, they said ok. It never came. We asked for water and got two cups of warm water. We were told there was no ice cream choice, chocolate or nothing, and then they served strawberry to the rear. They did not distribute immigration forms for Hong Kong, which delayed our processing, and which is inexcusable slackness. The tea is poor. The seats have a rigid divider, so when I needed to exit from my window seat I could not get past the man lying all the way back in the row in front and refusing to lift his seat for me. For all that I arrived in OK shape and had a safe and comfortable trip. Check in was efficient and friendly, I was a priority client needing a wheelchair and all of that was fine, albeit with a few reminders to the crew that a wheelchair was required on arrival in HK. I needed oxygen half way across, due to the long walk back from the loo and the struggle under the seat as described above, as I have a respiratory condition, the air was thin and I was severely oxygen depleted, and the crew were marvelous about that. The seats were very comfortable for 12 hours (unlike the business class seats, which were bad for the backside, on our trip over to Europe).
RouteParis to Hong Kong
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Mediocre meals were too salty"

Verified Review | Dusseldorf to Hong Kong. Efficient check-in and security checks at DUS. However, the waiting area for non-Schengen flights after the passport control is tiny, not big enough or have enough seats even for one A350 flight, not to mention there were also other flights to UK etc. Brand new plane, with comfortable seats. However there's no hard protection between seat pocket and seat in front, therefore when the person behind you put/take some thing in the pocket, you will feel everything. Mediocre meals were too salty. Good service by the cabin attendants but definitely not on the same level of friendliness or attentiveness compared to some other Asian airlines with 5-star rating.
AircraftA350-900
RouteDusseldorf to Hong Kong
Date FlownDecember 2016

"a seriously average airline"

Verified Review | This was my return trip after a very average trip over to Hong Kong. The service was much better, but still rushed with no attendance by the flight crew between meals. Cathay Pacific is a seriously average airline. In my previous review I suggested not wasting money on premium economy with this airline. My return trip from Hong Kong has cemented this view.
RouteHong Kong to Sydney
Date FlownOctober 2017

"service is rushed and unfriendly"

Verified Review | I really can't understand why this airline is an awarded airline. The service is rushed and unfriendly, and as a premium economy flyer, the only difference between economy seems to be priority boarding and a slightly bigger seat. It is by far the worst premium economy offering I have experienced, with my comparison being Virgin Australia, Virgin Atlantic and Qantas. My flight wasn't bad, just very average. Don't waste your money on premium economy with Cathay Pacific.
RouteSydney to Hong Kong

"Staff is not robotic"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | Kansai to Paris via Hong Kong. Everything smooth. So nice to have the feeling you are welcome on board. Comparing with some Asian carriers, you note that C class seats are more comfortable than on some airlines. Aircraft are cleaner than some Chinese airlines. IFE is more western-oriented than other. Drinks are adapted to British taste. Staff is not robotic.
RouteKansai to Paris via Hong Kong
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"very satisfying flying experience"

Verified Review | Hong Kong to New York JFK. The inbound flight from CCU arrived on time and I was able to make a smooth transfer at HKG. I found the security transfer check at HKG to be among the most civilized and rarely crowded. Before boarding, staff at tables inspected, perfunctorily, the carry on bags of all passengers. The flight arrived on schedule. Boeing 777 cabin and its 1-2-1 herring bone layout with fully flat seats is my favorite. It offers spaciousness and privacy. The entertainment system offered a large collection of films that could be accessed on an easy to use control pad. Good selection of entrees, wines, and various snacks, bathrooms kept clean, and attentive flight attendants made the flight a very pleasant experience. At JFK's Terminal 8 used by Oneworld, passport control was smooth - I used the automated passport reader and was out of the terminal in no time. Cathay Pacific delivered a very satisfying flying experience and will be my first choice when I travel on this route again.
AircraftA320 / Boeing 777-300ER