Cathay Pacific Airways

"crew are a bit slack"

Verified Review | Paris to Hong Kong. Well it seems the Europe run flight crew are a bit slack compared to the Sydney and HK crew. But first, the Premium Economy section toilet was broken, so we had to go way down the back of the plane and stand in long queues to use the loo. There was no salt and pepper. We asked, they said ok. It never came. We asked for water and got two cups of warm water. We were told there was no ice cream choice, chocolate or nothing, and then they served strawberry to the rear. They did not distribute immigration forms for Hong Kong, which delayed our processing, and which is inexcusable slackness. The tea is poor. The seats have a rigid divider, so when I needed to exit from my window seat I could not get past the man lying all the way back in the row in front and refusing to lift his seat for me. For all that I arrived in OK shape and had a safe and comfortable trip. Check in was efficient and friendly, I was a priority client needing a wheelchair and all of that was fine, albeit with a few reminders to the crew that a wheelchair was required on arrival in HK. I needed oxygen half way across, due to the long walk back from the loo and the struggle under the seat as described above, as I have a respiratory condition, the air was thin and I was severely oxygen depleted, and the crew were marvelous about that. The seats were very comfortable for 12 hours (unlike the business class seats, which were bad for the backside, on our trip over to Europe).
RouteParis to Hong Kong
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Mediocre meals were too salty"

Verified Review | Dusseldorf to Hong Kong. Efficient check-in and security checks at DUS. However, the waiting area for non-Schengen flights after the passport control is tiny, not big enough or have enough seats even for one A350 flight, not to mention there were also other flights to UK etc. Brand new plane, with comfortable seats. However there's no hard protection between seat pocket and seat in front, therefore when the person behind you put/take some thing in the pocket, you will feel everything. Mediocre meals were too salty. Good service by the cabin attendants but definitely not on the same level of friendliness or attentiveness compared to some other Asian airlines with 5-star rating.
AircraftA350-900
RouteDusseldorf to Hong Kong
Date FlownDecember 2016

"a seriously average airline"

Verified Review | This was my return trip after a very average trip over to Hong Kong. The service was much better, but still rushed with no attendance by the flight crew between meals. Cathay Pacific is a seriously average airline. In my previous review I suggested not wasting money on premium economy with this airline. My return trip from Hong Kong has cemented this view.
RouteHong Kong to Sydney
Date FlownOctober 2017

"service is rushed and unfriendly"

Verified Review | I really can't understand why this airline is an awarded airline. The service is rushed and unfriendly, and as a premium economy flyer, the only difference between economy seems to be priority boarding and a slightly bigger seat. It is by far the worst premium economy offering I have experienced, with my comparison being Virgin Australia, Virgin Atlantic and Qantas. My flight wasn't bad, just very average. Don't waste your money on premium economy with Cathay Pacific.
RouteSydney to Hong Kong

"Staff is not robotic"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | Kansai to Paris via Hong Kong. Everything smooth. So nice to have the feeling you are welcome on board. Comparing with some Asian carriers, you note that C class seats are more comfortable than on some airlines. Aircraft are cleaner than some Chinese airlines. IFE is more western-oriented than other. Drinks are adapted to British taste. Staff is not robotic.
RouteKansai to Paris via Hong Kong
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"very satisfying flying experience"

Verified Review | Hong Kong to New York JFK. The inbound flight from CCU arrived on time and I was able to make a smooth transfer at HKG. I found the security transfer check at HKG to be among the most civilized and rarely crowded. Before boarding, staff at tables inspected, perfunctorily, the carry on bags of all passengers. The flight arrived on schedule. Boeing 777 cabin and its 1-2-1 herring bone layout with fully flat seats is my favorite. It offers spaciousness and privacy. The entertainment system offered a large collection of films that could be accessed on an easy to use control pad. Good selection of entrees, wines, and various snacks, bathrooms kept clean, and attentive flight attendants made the flight a very pleasant experience. At JFK's Terminal 8 used by Oneworld, passport control was smooth - I used the automated passport reader and was out of the terminal in no time. Cathay Pacific delivered a very satisfying flying experience and will be my first choice when I travel on this route again.
AircraftA320 / Boeing 777-300ER
RouteHong Kong to New York
Date FlownOctober 2017

"I really enjoyed the trip"

Verified Review | Gatwick to Hong Kong. Having flown this airline on many occasions, this was the first time that I really enjoyed the trip. I'm not sure if it was because the aircraft was new or if it was because the inflight entertainment system was the best that I have come across or because I had a open seat next to me. The crew were really great in economy, but all in all it was a 5 star experience.
RouteGatwick to Hong Kong

"seat was comfortable"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Flew from Osaka to Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific, slightly delayed on departure but arrived ahead of the schedule. Cabin was clean, seat was comfortable with plenty of legroom in their new A350 aircraft. Cabin crew were attentive and professional even on a busy flight. Meal was somewhat overheated? I picked a chicken on rice but some rice became charred!
AircraftA350-900
RouteOsaka to Hong Kong
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"flight attendants were attentive"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Flew Taipei to Hong Kong with Cathay Pacific. Check in was smooth and the flight departed slightly ahead of schedule. The IFE was excellent with a lot of movie selection, but sadly the flight was too short so I couldn't finish the film on my flight. Cathay's new economy seats were quite good with a very sensitive touchscreen monitor and I can charge up my phone using my own USB cable. The flight attendants were attentive and I could still buy some duty-free products on such short flight. However, they served Chicken rolls as a breakfast which was quite disappointing.
RouteTaipei to Hong Kong
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"told there was no IFE or at-seat power"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Hong Kong. The outbound flight was everything a business class experience should be. On time departure and arrival, excellent cabin crew, comfortable seat, tasty food and drink and a wide range of IFE options. The return leg was very different. We boarded the aircraft slightly late to be told that there was no IFE or at-seat power throughout the whole aircraft! To compound matters we pushed back 90 minutes late and disembarked at Heathrow behind schedule by the same margin. While Cathay provided express passes to speed me through the airport to make my connection this worked until I hit "fast track" security at T5 where there were horrendous queues. I did make my connection, but only just.
RouteHong Kong to London Heathrow