Cathay Pacific Airways

"customer service is pathetic"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Los Angeles via Hong Kong. Hope you never get a delay with this airline. The customer service approach to resolving a dispute is pathetic, just a zero care factor among the ground staff. I’m $100s of dollars out of pocket for choosing this airline on top of the extra amount paid by them not being the cheapest provider out there. If you pay for a cheap airline you expect a cheap response, but I didn’t expect this with Cathay pacific.
RouteMelbourne to Los Angeles via Hong Kong
Date FlownJuly 2018

"I was not disappointed"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | This is the first time I have flown Cathay business class in many years. I have flown business class many times from Asia to the US on other carriers, but I had some One World miles soon expiring, so I decided to try Cathay. I was not disappointed. They have a very good time schedule from Bangkok to New York. As I arrived at the airport in Bangkok, I was notified my flight was going to be 1.5 hours late. This would make a tight connection in Hong Kong (less than an hour). I requested a change to an earlier flight which they happily accommodated - very good service! The staff on both flights were great, friendly, well trained, personalized service. The food was very good. IFE had a wide selection with good quality noise cancelling headphones. Both flights were on 777's. The regional flight BKK/HKG was the old model business class 2x2x2 with angled seats - comfortable enough for a 2.5 hr flight. The second leg, HKG/JFK (almost 16 hours) was on the new 777 long range version of business class 1x2x1. All individual pods, all with direct aisle access. The pods are on par with the best in the industry, lots of storage space, comfortable lie flat bed, large television screen, both electrical and USB outlets for charging, Ipad & iPhone USB interface to the television screen so you can watch your own programs on the big screen, good quality comforter. I was able to sleep uninterrupted for 8 hours on the long flight. All-in-all a great flight. Highly recommend.
AircraftBoeing 777 Long Range
RouteBangkok to New York JFK via Hong Kong
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Crew were friendly and hardworking"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Zurich to Hong Kong. The flight departed punctually. Ground service was professionally done. The aircraft was a 777-300 which was a bit older than the other long haul fleet and I was not really a fan of this aircraft. The seats are okay but not that comfortable. Headrest support was not strong enough. However, the service and food were above standards, even in economy class. Ice cream was served as dessert and fresh fruit and cup noodles were also available between meals. Crew were friendly and hardworking. The flight arrived earlier than schedule. Would fly them again even the price was slightly higher than other airlines.
AircraftB777-300ER
RouteZurich to Hong Kong
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"cabin is now more spacious"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Manila to Nagoya via Hong Kong. Haven’t flown with this airline for more than three years. They still offer exceptional service, the cabin is now more spacious with the new aircraft, including its seat legroom. The movies though are quite limited with more dramas which is quite boring.
AircraftBoeing 777-300 / 777-200
RouteManila to Nagoya via Hong Kong
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"not travel again with Cathay"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Very short space for the legs, especially in the longest route from Rome to Hong Kong. Horrible food, I’m vegetarian and chose the vegan meal, but all the snacks were full of milk (I’m lactose intolerant). For breakfast we received food that people eat for supper: for me mushroom and lentils, my husband chicken and pasta. In the return journey, in Hong Kong, we had 2 hours of delay to wait for 40 passengers of another flight, and although we had been traveling for 8 hours (Osaka to Hong Kong to Rome) we did not receive any assistance, not even a bottle of water. I think I will not travel again with Cathay.
RouteRome to Tokyo via Hong kong

"fares are quite pricey"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Okinawa via Hong Kong. My first time to fly Cathay Pacific. Flight was on time, aircraft was clean. Seating was comfortable. Food was ok, not that fantastic but ok. In flight Entertainment was awesome, lots of choices. Crew were very pleasant. I would fly Cathay Pacific again anytime, however the air fares are quite pricey. There are other airlines with the same service and yet have better air fares. The service agents at Okinawa airport are very helpful. We had to check in excess luggage and the agent helped us pack another box, no hassle. My husband also ordered a Bloody Mary, not enough booze on it, just a lot of tomato juice.
RouteLos Angeles to Okinawa via Hong Kong
Date FlownApril 2018

"meals fell a little short"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | New York to Hong Kong. Boarding for economy was rather confusing. While the announcer stated that those with seats in rows 59-72 could board, another agent instructed me and others who had seats in these rows to join a queue that did not move. (Then why did the first agent instruct us to board?) Onboard service was very good, but the meals served fell a little short of the standard one would expect from Cathay. The chicken with mashed potatoes was edible, but uninspiring, while the beef congee was too watered down. Neither meal came with condiments such as salt and pepper. Was that due to cutbacks? I've flown Cathay many times now, but this flight was not its best.
RouteNew York to Hong Kong

"never fly them again"

Not Verified | I booked "premium" economy after reviewing the amenities on the website and discussing them with a live agent. (Wait time on the telephone was over 1 hr both times I called!) The flights from JFK - Hong Kong - Siem Reap were fine and the amenities, provided. The flights from Ho Chi Minh to Hong Kong to JFK were awful. Cathay had a delay which caused me to miss my connecting flight. I was promised an upgrade by the gate agent because of the long wait I would have to endure. Upon arrival in Hong Kong, I was denied the upgrade and moved from my window seat to a center seat in the row of 5 seats. After much arguing, they miraculously found a window seat for me. They offered to provide a car in NY to transport me home which, after waiting an hour, they reneged on. However, the most disturbing issue is the advertising of amenities in "premium" economy: calf rests at the seat, separate check in and boarding lines and a champagne welcome. None of the amenities were provided. Other than being wider, the seat was no different than flying regular economy. The lines to check in and board were ridiculous and service aboard was awful. Attempts at resolving these issues have been met with a stubborn refusal to acknowledge that they did not provide a "premium" experience. Airline has no concern for customer satisfaction. I would never fly them again and certainly, do not recommend spending so much more money for "premium" when they don't deliver the product as advertised.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteHo Chi Minh to New York via Hong Kong
Date FlownMarch 2018

"cabin staff always welcoming"

Not Verified | Gatwick to Melbourne via Hong Kong. Pleased with Gatwick on lunchtime departure. Just check for South Terminal at F Gate, Nice casual boarding [unlike the demeaning line up and wait at Hong Kong]. Cabin staff always welcoming and helpful. Every seat taken - seems a Cathay method. Typically a polite crowd to travel with, majority Chinese, a few Australians and British. I had a low calorie meal on order, so got served maybe 30 minutes ahead of others and by personal delivery. Out of Gatwick the main was delicious fish - very good even if no choice and no menu. Captain message as usual on this airline was English name and well spoken. I rate this airline for having British pilots - gives me confidence in basic skills and also the ability to communicate clearly in the event of difficulties. I told myself the A350 has been in service on this route for over a year, and is used intensively, flying into Gatwick after 11 hours from HK and ready to return at lunchtime. The Cathay themed seats in aqua green are starting to look tired, as also the furniture in the toilets [Try liifting the lid and some stain on the rim]. I require several breaks from sitting as I rarely get to sleep. So I found a small space near the aft toilet where I could pass 30 minutes doing easy knee and toe exercises without being hassled by the crew. [This used to be easier on the 747 with its extra space]. The allocation of toilets was just ok, I counted five located midway and aft. The nice thing about the A350 is that it is not carrying huge numbers, easier to manage. The meals are only average, lacking some extras such as hand towel and block of real cheese. Wine [red or white] comes in a plastic glass - gone is the mini bottle. On boarding, there is no welcome juice or hot towel. The seats feel spacious but are short on supportive cushioning. I actually bolster the seat with the blanket and pillow to support low spine and thighs. The choice of movies is good but falls short of the Qatar Airways range. I enjoy checking the route out over Lowestoft and north to Denmark and the baltic states before an amazing great circle route over Russia through to China. I enjoy the live video cams showing take off and landing. Fortunately daytime on transit in Hong Kong Airport [It is depressingly closed there on night time transits] found a western style breakfast cafe. But kept wishing it was Singapore with its fantastic restaurants. From there Cathay lost points by transferring us to a tired looking B777ER and lining us up like cheap people for 30 minutes before boarding. They could do this much better. Deperture 30 minutes late was not made up. On attempted touch down in Melbourne [shown on video] the pilot aborted landing at the last moment and took off for another attempt. He blamed cross winds for this but I suspect the speed and decline were out of sync. Arrived 4 minutes late turning 11.05 pm. Just one thing to remember, on arrival at Gatwick the Cathay gate is very remote and there are no airport toilets for that sudden need, for maybe 20 minutes hard walking. Impression, love the airline its helpful crew and the route but will have to compare Qatar on price and miss the comfort of Singapore Airport. Disappointed by the B777ER on the Melbourne leg.
AircraftA350 / Boeing 777ER
RouteGatwick to Melbourne via Hong Kong

"Very disappointed"

(Sri Lanka)

Not Verified | Toronto to Colombo via Hong Kong. My flight to Hong Kong from Toronto was cancelled and the next possible flight was given after two days. When assigning accommodation, they only gave us one voucher saying it’s for all four members in my family. But when we reached the hotel, they refused to arrange the necessary rooms for us saying that we have not gotten the proper vouchers. We have been held up at the airport for more than 8hrs being business class passengers they do not give us any priority. The staff is very unprofessional and do not know how to handle a situation as such. Very disappointed in the service and will never use this airline to fly again.
RouteToronto to Colombo via Hong Kong