Cathay Pacific Airways

"Wouldn't recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | Manila to Zurich via Hong Kong. I've been flying with Cathay Pacific ever since they started offering non-stop flights to Zurich (2015) and have experienced their economy, premium economy and business classes. The seats are comfortable I like the new A350. That's it. If you're tall, you won't like the business class seats as the space for the foot area narrows significantly. The business class food is also subpar compared to other airlines. The food in all classes is not good in general. Further, the variety of (good) movie options went down significantly. There are barely any new movies and more of classics, the ones you have most likely seen already. Check out the June 2018 options if you can. Ferdinand is probably your best choice. What's the absolute worst, though, is the arrogance and unfriendliness of staff that I've experienced on numerous occasions, particularly of the floor staff. They also don't seem to coordinate/communicate between locations and are often not properly trained about giving customers the correct information. Wouldn't recommend this airline to anyone.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteManila to Zurich via Hong Kong

"been above average"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Melbourne. Hong Kong Check in was all automatic and the airport was modern and clean. Boarding on time and friendly staff greeted me. I got to my seat, which came with a blanket and pillow, take off was on time. There were three main meal options, I chose the Chicken with potatoes, which was very nice, dessert included a nice Movenpick ice cream. The IFE on was new and diverse, new movies and a very big screen. Free wifi was also included but was very slow and did not work. We landed in Melbourne on time. My experience with Cathay Pacific Airways has been above average.
AircraftA350-900
RouteHong Kong to Melbourne

"The hardware was fine"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Hong Kong. Ground service was efficient. However, some delays happened because of terrible weather. The cabin staff offered me a blanket. The hardware was fine. A dinner was served in the 3 hour flight.
RouteBangkok to Hong Kong

"below my expectations"

Trip Verified | Booked last minute as this is the cheapest flight I could find out of NYC to my home country Philippines. I chose CRK as I would not want to trouble myself getting out of MNL Airport. Last time I flew CX was in 2009 to RUH. The service and food then was great so I trusted that it would be the same or better. Flight date is 08 June. Check in was brief, pleasant. Felt at home as there were a lot Filipino staff in EWR. Airplane is new, legroom was good. In flight entertainment was great! This is a 15+ hour flight and we had 2 meals and snacks in between. I had dinner around 8 PM. We flew out 1:55 AM. Most of the restaurants near the gates were closed and besides food the airport was expensive. After supper (which was very good. I had beef, fried rice and veggies) I was still hungry. The menu said that they offer cup noodles upon request. The FA gave me another entree! As really am not able to sleep during flights, I walk around. I went to the galley at the back of the plane and they have snacks. Few hours passed, I went to the back and asked for toothbrush. I noticed that they do not provided amenity kits unless you asked. I asked for socks at the beginning of the flight. I think I asked both of these from the team lead FA. She is not smiling, very serious and does not even respond back after saying thank you. I had a feeling that she does not like serving Filipinos because she was from Hong Kong. There was an Indian flight attendant serving my area and I thought it was nice for CX to have diversity in their crew. But I was really disappointed the way this team lead FA treated me. I have read a few reviews and it feels very tight. I guess I have gotten used to western airlines that offer small chats. So snack time came and they were serving cup noodles. I am hungry so I requested for one. The FA was apologetic and told me I can only have one and I did have mine already. But other people are not even having a snack. They served breakfast late.30 mins before landing they are still serving breakfast. Overall I did not enjoy this leg of the flight. Transferred to Satellite terminal in HK. It was packed flight. Flight was delayed. Baggage was delayed. And snack was served on a paper bag. Crackers, candy and water. Not even coffee. CX went below my expectations. I guess airline services across the board is getting worse.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteNewark to Clark via Hong Kong
Date FlownJune 2018

"not worth twice the price"

(Bahamas)

Not Verified | Perth to London via Hong Kong. Decided to treat myself and booked premium economy, waste of money. Perth to Hong Kong was good, wide comfortable seats good service. Hong Kong to Heathrow was terrible, plane was old and didn't seem any better than economy, I walked to back of plane and checked. On both flights there and back, one toilet was marked 'out of order', I saw female attendance using them , had to walk to back of plane and queue to use economy toilets. Premium Economy was so similar to Economy, not worth twice the price.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RoutePerth to London via Hong Kong
Date FlownMay 2018

"Thank you Cathay Pacific"

Trip Verified | On a whim, my elderly and infirm parents decided to book themselves on a non-refundable trip from Sydney to Japan, followed by a cruise. Both require special assistance for a range of issues including hearing and visual impairments. I could not have been happier with the professional and caring way in which Cathay Pacific managed this prior to the flight, during check-in and boarding in Sydney, and while my parents were in-flight. The care they displayed was nothing short of magnificent. It was a real relief to know that my parents were in very good hands. Thank you Cathay Pacific and your wonderful team!
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteSydney to Tokyo via Hong Kong
Date FlownApril 2018

"overall is very good."

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | Jakarta to Beijing via Hong Kong. Overall its very nice airplane and the food they provide is delicious. The only problem that I that from from CGK to HKG (midnight flight) the meals is only lights (usually more than 4 hours flight is meal) and my earphone plug is not active and the cabin crew tried to fix it but not working. Also no pillow provided from start as usual so you must asked for it to the cabin crew. For the flight from Hong Kong to Beijing overall is very good.
RouteJakarta to Beijing via Hong Kong

"reliable and efficient"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Manila to Hong Kong. Cathay Pacific is highly reliable and efficient. The sense of efficiency comes across from all the interaction I have had with their staff, in particular, the cabin crew who always seem to be dashing off to accomplish some urgent tasks. The seats of the plane I was on seem dated but otherwise quite comfortable. The inflight entertainment was good, with lots available to distract me for the duration of the flight. The food for this 2 hours 10 mins flight was unfortunately quite small and come in a paper bag. I have been on flights that are much shorter but had more generous food options.
RouteManila to Hong Kong
Date FlownMarch 2018

"a painful travel experience"

Trip Verified | Chennai to Los Angeles via Hong Kong. The 1:50am flight was delayed until after 5:30am, an unpleasant all night experience waiting in an Indian airport. The next flight in connection was delayed in Hong Kong. On the ground in Los Angeles 90 minutes and the first bag hasn’t arrived yet. The entire occupancy of the plane has cleared customers and is looking forlorned as the ground crew is MIA. The gentleman next to me is doing push-ups. What a painful travel experience.
RouteChennai to Los Angeles via Hong Kong
Date FlownMay 2018

"The experience was seamless"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Flew Cathay Pacific from Hong Kong to Melbourne. The flight once again operated by using A350. The aircraft was really new with HD monitors with many different movies. The cabin was dimmed once after the meal service. The cabin lighting was really warm and most of the passengers were able to sleep. Meal was served with 3 choices in dinner with a movenpick ice cream, while the breakfast was served with both English and Chinese styles. The plane was very quiet and it arrived on time. Cabin crew were really efficient offering special drinks and landing cards, which passensgers could save some time for customers and immigration. The experience was seamless where nothing can be challenged for economy class.
RouteHong Kong to Melbourne