Best Cabin Crew

Avianca

"meals served are good"

(Belgium)

I have used Avianca in several trips, both for national trips or for transatlantic flights. In my opinion, the service in international flights is way better than the national ones. The staff onboard are usually friendly and polite. Moreover, although I don't like airline meals, I think that the meals served by Avianca are good. I would recommend to improve the space between seats for international flights and the puntuality for the national flights.
RouteMAD to PEI via BOG
Date FlownNovember 2015

"the worst travel experience"

After a long flight we were informed that due to fog the plane was unable to land in Bogota, so we were diverted to Cali where we remained on the plane for an hour without being informed of what was going to happen. Staff were unable to speak English competently and they failed to communicate with the non Spanish speaking passengers,which I found strange for an international airline? After an hour there was an announcement in Spanish that we had to disembark the plane and wait for further information. In the waiting area the staff told us nothing! We ended up waiting for 3.5 hours. My husband managed to speak to one staff member who assured him that they would inform him when the flight to Bogota was boarding and guaranteed that we would be able to get a connection flight to Costa Rica. Needless to say the staff member did not meet their obligation, we found out that there was a flight through another passenger. When we arrived in Bogota, staff told us that we were unable to get the connecting flight that was promised to us; instead we were informed that we would have to fly to San Salvador and then get a further flight to San Jose. Security in Bogota was a nightmare, they confiscated my mosquito repellent (without explanation) that was 90ml. This was particularly worrying as Columbia has had a number of Zika cases reported. When we boarded our next flight from San Salvador to San Jose, we were assured that our luggage would be waiting in San Jose. Needless to say that the airline lost my luggage and were not apologetic at all. All in all there was 7 hour delay, and the staff were terrible. This was the worst travel experience I ever had. If you are considering flying with Avianca, please think again
RouteSAL to SJO
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"onboard service satisfactory"

Flew Avianca from LIM to Cusco. Check-in area very busy at LIM airport however not too much trouble. Check-in process with ground team was efficient and assisted with changes to early flight. Boarding via coaches in priority groups. Onboard service satisfactory to short route. Seats in overwing exits row, comfortable with good legroom. Baggage claim in CUZ with no issues.
RouteLIM to CUZ
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"information was non existent"

After four Avianca flights in two weeks flying from Cartagena to Bogota we hope we never have to fly with them again. Each flight was at least two hours late. Explanation or information was non existent. Service on board was indifferent with not even a cracker offered. I have never encountered an airline like this.
RouteCTG to BOG
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"seat space was very good"

My bid to travel business class with Avianca from Mexico City to Bogota was accepted but service was so incredibly indifferent and below what I expected that I will not make a bid for the return journey. I was in row 2 and my choice of lunch from three options has already finished. Most in the cabin were upgraded at the gate (it was very obvious). In the ends the person next door gave me his choice as I could not eat anything else. It was incredibly awful, a rubbery chicken with no taste. Seat space was very good (the old business). Selection of wine was well below standard with very cheap Chilean wines. Flight attendants were friendly but never smiled and they did not offer to store jackets and coats. Check in was friendly and fast and boarding was orderly. A good service let down by the incredibly bad food.
AircraftA330-200
RouteMEX to BOG

"never fly them again"

Los Angeles to San Pedro Sula via San Salvador with Avianca. This airline would rather fly with empty seats than make a satisfied and potentially repeat customer. My connecting flight came in quite a bit earlier than expected, leaving me with 5 hours to kill at a tiny airport. I thought I might be in luck when I learned that there was an earlier flight, but when I asked them if I could standby on the earlier flight they told me that it would cost me $200. Even at the very end of boarding, when it became apparent hat there were quite a number of empty seats, they remained adamant that I would either have to pay or to wait five hours. It's this kind of interaction that makes me lose faith in humanity. I'll never fly with them again.
RouteLAX to SAP via SAL
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"not fly with them again"

Avianca offered a good deal on flying to Colombia, where several friends of mine live, so I decided to take the deal. The process of buying the tickets was somewhat difficult as their website was having problems and when I called there was a good deal of confusion and they had to call me back to let me know they would call me back again. Several times, but in the end I got the deal so no complaints. I am tall (just over 2m) and the seats are small, the head rests are against my shoulder blades and very uncomfortable. There was good in flight service for what it was and the entertainment was not bad, but whenever their was an announcement my movie would switch to spanish (I prefer English) and there was no way to fix it without restarting he movie and slowly forwarding to where I was. This happened three times and I decided to just listen to music on my phone. My connecting flight from Bogota to Armeria was odd because the airport and Avianca did not know where the plane was. There was about 40 of us being led around the airport until they found it on the otherwise of the airport, at this point I will note that besides my LAX flight each plane left and arrived and hour late, I am not sure Avianca is to blame for the confusion in Bogota though. My trip got cut short and I had to change my return flight, after explaining my situation Avianca offered to nullify the fee for changing flights which was awesome. Except that they did not and charged me the fee anyway. My return flight was three flights total, all of which I checked into window seats for, there was a problem and my itinerary was changed to four seperate flights none of which I was given window seats for anymore and was instead in middle seats each time, the Avianca staff member that changed my flights guaranteed me that they were still Windows seats. All in all I was not impressed with this airline and would not fly with them again.
RouteLAX to BOG
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"pay for a good service"

Palonegro to Medellin via Bogota. Avianca is a leading airline in the region and flying is a top-notch experience. Ground personnel courteous and helpful, organised boarding process, clean, modern and tidy airplanes with AVOD catering to all tastes with programming offered in English, Spanish and Potuguese. Departures and arrivals quite punctual as was luggage delivery. Avianca is costly to be honest, but some good deals can be found and it's better to pay for a good service.
RouteBGA to MDE via BOG

"adequate leg room"

(Greece)

All flights from Madrid to Lima via Bogota were on new aircrafts and all flights were on time. Seats were very comfortable with adequate leg room. Service was great with 2 servings of food and full service of drinks (juices, beers, alcoholic). You had to ask for salt and pepper? During the flight there were snacks, crackers and drinks available in the galleys. Staff were great, professional and some fluent in English. IFE was good but from the 58 movies most of them were outdated. On IFE there was an option were you could see the offered Menu, also you could see the connected gates on arrival (1 hour before arrival). Great flight experience.
RouteMAD to LIM via BOG
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"staff were very polite "

Los Angeles to Lima via Bogota with Avianca. The staff were very polite and helpful. They greeted and asked us if we were okay. The A330 was a great aircraft that supplied the traveler with entertainment and comfort. The meals were better than I expected, and the snacks hit the spot. My only complain would be that the aircraft didn't provide wifi service, other than that it was a great trip.
RouteLAX to LIM via BOG