Avianca

"promise wheelchair assistance"

Not Verified | Cusco to Houston via Bogota. Avianca's policy for passengers needing wheelchair assistance on tickets requiring a interline Star Alliance connection in Bogota. In our experience, you're out of luck. This policy was confirmed by multiple Avianca employees at the Avianca Lounge at El Dorado airport at approx 930pm on May 19 2018, including the manager (who was happy to provide his name to me). Specifically, Aviancas policy is that the connecting airline is responsible for getting you from the arrival gate to the connecting gate. To be clear, most connecting airlines have no presence in the international arrivals terminal and many dont have a presence in the airside terminal more than a few hours befor a flight. And it can be 750m or more of a walk (or crawl). Aviancas policy is complicated by the fact that Avianca ground staff at other airports (in our case Cusco) are unaware of this policy and will promise wheelchair assistance upon arrival. We were on a routing of CUZ-BOG-IAH medical return flight for a post emergency surgery patient. Avianca flight Full Y fare AV144 on 19May 2018. Connecting to Business Class UA 1006.
RouteCusco to Houston via Bogota
Date FlownMay 2018

"terrible experience"

Trip Verified | Miami to Cusco via Bogota. Canceled our flight upon arrival to Miami airport within the hour of arrival. There was no cancelation notice via email or phone. The customer service was the worst. My fiancé was on the phone for over 2.5 hours with no offers from Avianca to help or rectify the problem. Therefore, we missed our first day in Cusco which entailed paid for excursions and a booked hotel. Their comments were simply, “I’m sorry it happens”. Literally infuriating. There is a reason why they are cheap and the customer service is terrible. Once we actually caught our flights they were delayed on boarding and leaving the airport by an hour. Overall, terrible experience.
RouteMiami to Cusco via Bogota
Date FlownMay 2018

"Staggered and horrified"

Trip Verified | Santiago to New York via Bogota. Staggered and horrified by Avianca's non-existent service and cavalier attitude to public relations. Delayed by a total of 36 hours on a 10 hour route, with the original delay compounded by open deceit on advising both myself and my travel agent, verbally and in writing, that I had been re-booked in business class (necessary for medical reasons). On arriving at the hub in Bogota: no, we have downgraded you to economy and if you don't like it, you can wait another 17 hours. The service for passengers with a disability consists of advising you to wait till all other passengers have boarded, so you "won't be in their way", and changing your necessary aisle seat to window at their own convenience. Do all you can to avoid this airline: their own web and FB pages are a litany of unresolved complaints and refunds owed. The absolute worst experience I have ever had in 25 years of flying to and around Latin America. Atonita y enteramente molesta ante la patetica (no)respuesta de Avianca a una demora de 36 HORAS sobre un viaje de tan solo diez, con engano, mentiras y cambios ocultos de clase de servicio (de business a economy!!) de por medio. Que desgracia, que pesimas RRPP, que mala empresa. Nunca mas viajare en Avianca y fomentare que ningun/a colega lo hace tampoco
RouteSantiago to New York via Bogota

"perfunctory and sparse"

Trip Verified | Bogotá to Los Angeles. All good at check-in except my pre-assigned seat had been taken for a child whose parents were in the middle section. Additional two rows of Business seats in the front of the main cabin proved to be inferior. Lounge was OK, no better in Business than the Star Alliance Premium Lounge. Inflight service from flight attendants was perfunctory and sparse. On a flight lasting over eight hours I saw them on six occasions only. Meals were truly awful. I chose a chicken roll with vegetables for lunch, it was bland and the vegetables were just scattered on the plate. Essentially a poor economy meal served on china. It came with a miserable selection of cheeses in small portions with one meager piece of guava paste. Dessert was something called "Tiramisu", nothing like any tiramisu I have ever eaten before. Prior to landing we were served a chicken sandwich which had fused to the dish, if I received something like this at McDonald's, I would refuse it. Once we landed in LAX we engaged in a wheelchair charade that would have been comical if it not been so frustrating. There were 17 wheelchairs at the deplaning area and only four persons to push them. It was a Laurel and Hardy scenario as we see-sawed our way slowly to the Custom's area. Yes, they were not busy on a Saturday evening but it took us an hour to reach them! By the time we were through, the baggage belt had been emptied and all the ambulatory passengers were long gone. Truly a study in inefficiency and a miserable end to what had been up till then a great business trip. My suggestion, change the wheelchair assistance company and get catering from a real food service company.
RouteBogotá to Los Angeles

"providing minimal service"

Trip Verified | London to Cuzco via Bogota. Boeing 787-8 has small seats that feel like they are made from concrete. Also the seat reclines a fair distance so if the person in-front does recline you will not even have enough room to fold down the table to eat etc. The food selection on the London-Bogota leg had no choice as they had 'run out'. Most staff content with providing minimal service in Y class. The A319 leg of the trip had a much better seat than the 787 which is ironic as the 787 flight was over 11 hours. The IFE system on the A319 did not work and was shut down for the entire flight. Will be in no hurry to fly with this carrier again.
AircraftBoeing 787-8 / A319
RouteLondon to Cuzco via Bogota
Date FlownApril 2018

"on time and had decent service"

Trip Verified | Washington to San Jose via San Salvador. Avianca is what I would call an average airline. Nothing special, but gets the job done. Upon boarding you are met with a kind Spanish greeting and a very bland cabin. There were no personal TV's on board our A320, and the seats themselves were not very comfortable. During the flight from IAD-SJO we were served an overly cheesy mac & cheese and some drinks. Overall, Avianca had nothing special about it, but was still on time and had decent service.
RouteWashington to San Jose via San Salvador
Date FlownMarch 2018

"a fantastic experience"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | Bogotá to Cartagena. I was very positively impressed when I flew Avianca for Easter week. After reflecting back on this fantastic trip I noticed how badly used we were to traditional American and European carriers for the following reasons. First of all we were greeted at the airport by some extremely friendly staff members; who personally guided us to the check in zone. After a short queue at the check in zone, I was guided to the exclusive dock inside the terminal where only Avianca flights operate. This made the terminal a lot less crowded than the other dock where Latam, VivaColombia, Wingo and all the other carriers operate. The boarding process was fast and efficient and the flight departed 10 minutes before schedule and the cabin crew members were extremely polite; to the point that upon boarding the airplane I was personally greeted with my name (“good morning and welcome aboard Mr Castro” said the flight attendant). The plane was very clean and although it was one of the old members of Avianca’s fleet (built in 2011), it was as comfortable as all the other members of Avianca's fleet. To my surprise despite the flight being around 50 minutes long it had generous legroom a (I was not on a bulkhead or Exit rows), a huge seat, a personal IFE on every seat and we were given fresh fruit and a croissant on this short early morning flight. The fact that we had an inflight meal on a 50 minute flight is amazing to me as all American carriers I flew (except Delta and JetBlue) don’t even give inflight free meals on international flights that are 3 hours long. Upon arrival at Cartagena everything was as efficient as at El Dorado. My bags were some of the last ones off the plane and it only took me 10 minutes from the moment I walked off the airplane to the moment I walked off the airport doors. Overall it was a fantastic experience, I can’t wait for my next leg of the trip (back to Bogota and then to London Heathrow) to come and if you are flying to Colombia or anywhere in South America it definitely is the airline that you have to fly.
RouteBogotá to Cartagena
Date FlownMarch 2018

"failed to deliver my bags"

Trip Verified | Flew Avianca from Madrid to Bogotá. At the check in I checked an additional bag without any problem to my existing bag, as I have only been on transit. I received a new boarding pass but Avianca failed to add the priority status which I had. At the gate however I checked and was able to do the priority boarding. The flight itself was ok, no major things that made me love or hate the airline during the flight. After arriving at the destination however Avianca failed to deliver my bags and after I received them approx 24 hours later Avianca refused to give me any kind of compensation for the items I had to get to cover for one day. So overall I would not suggest to take Avianca again.
RouteMadrid to Bogotá
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"none of my fears came true"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Bogota to Medellin. I was really anxious about all the flights with Avianca after reading horrific reviews. I was sure I would lose one of my suitcases, my connecting flights or something else. Luckily none of my fears came true. All flights apart from one were on time (20 min delay on one). No luggage was lost or broken. On some flights we were changed to an earlier one because we arrived early at the airport. This would save our connecting flights in case of a delay. Long haul flights London to Bogota on a Boeing 787 with OK service/food. Legroom for a 1,93m/6ft4in like me is an issue so that's why I booked seat with extra legroom. What needs to be improved urgently is the customer service, over chat or phone. The agents have an issue with English and as a result it takes long to communicate. Furthermore seat booking MUST be made available online, not only over the phone. It takes literally AGES to confirm everything on the phone and in my case ONE of the seats was mistakenly not booked and I found out 2 days before departure and it was too late to book again according to an agent. Therefore 7/10 and would fly again.
RouteBogota to Medellin
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"used a third party company"

Trip Verified | This was by far the worse experience my family had have traveling with Avianca. We are consistent frequent business class flyers on Avianca. (4-5x per year). We were traveling with our son, a minor, for this flight also. Our usual route of travel is from New York (JFK) to Santa Marta Colombia (SMR). With a stop in Bogota. Avianca used a third party company for our flight from NYC to Bogota and it was awful (“Wamos”, was the name of the partner airline). The airplane was very old, dirty, and no entertainment system. Also the flight attendant gave us a menu with 3 choices of food, when it was time to order our food, we were told the only choice was breakfast burritos. We were amoung the first people served. Having a menu was useless. The seats were not comfortable at all. We were not able to rest. Those combinations made for a very uncomfortable, long and boring flight. Coming back home was even worse. Again Avianca used the same company to bring us back. Needless to say, it was an old airplane, poor seats, no entertainment system, and low quality food once again. The food was worse this time. We could not eat it. So we traveled uncomfortable, bored, and hungry. I understand Avianca is having some issues with their pilots and are using different ways to transport their clients. There has to be a better solution. We the customer should not have to suffer thru low quality service for the same price. Avianca should respect their clients and partner with a better company to provide the same quality service. You should not charge for a premium service when you are not delivering (what we pay for) premium service. We traveled business class for a reason. We wanted to be comfortable and rested. We will state once again, we had a horrible experience! I will not recommend travel using Avianca until they fix the problems with their pilots. Also if this service continues, we will not travel on Avianca. Avianca will lose, very, loyal business class travelers.
RouteSanta Marta to New York via Bogota