Avianca

"refund request rejected"

Trip Verified | Scheduled to fly out May 24 10.20pm. Duration of trip was 3 nights/4 days. After many confusing hours, flight cancelled. Staff couldn’t tell me if I could get a refund for my ticket. If I took the replacement flight (next day afternoon) whether I could get a refund for my ticket Despite our short vacation being cut even shorter we decided to take replacement flight. Given a nights stay (it was 2am at this point) at nearby hotel. Made the most of vacation but wanted resolution with the airline. Summary of how that went: Emailed on May 25, 10 June refund request created, 25 June refund request rejected, 27 June reason for rejection was the fact that I’d taken alternate flight. Forwarded my complaint to another department. July 7 new department said no compensation will be given. Waste of time and money and zero customer service.
RouteLos Angeles to Bogota
Date FlownMay 2018

"avoid it if possible"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | Pereira to Bucaramanga via Bogota. We were advised 24 hrs before departure that the original flight from Pereira to Bogota was cancelled for no reason. We were re-scheduled to leave four hours before. The first leg of the trip was late for no reason. The second leg of the trip was three hours late. This simple trip took 7 hours more than it should have taken. We never received explanation, a word of excuse, an extra service nor anything that would explain such changes in schedule or delays. Fly with Avianca if you must, otherwise avoid it if possible.
RoutePereira to Bucaramanga via Bogota
Date FlownJuly 2018

"the worst experience ever"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | They cancelled my TACA/Avianca flight from Havana to San Francisco via San Salvador, i told them i had a connecting flight from San Francisco to the Philippines. They never compensated and told me my flight to the Philippines is not their responsibility even if i missed it because it is with a different airline, although obviously I missed it because of their flight cancellation. This has got to be the worst experience ever. Terrible customer service.
RouteHavana to San Francisco via San Salvador
Date FlownJune 2018

"does not respect their clients"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Cali via Bogota booked for July 2018. I received and email that my flight was changed all of a sudden. The only solution they gave me was to apply for reimbursement, but I would still be charged the penalties. Avianca does not respect their clients and makes you adjust to their needs. Horrible airline. Never again will I buy from them.
RouteLos Angeles to Cali via Bogota
Date FlownJune 2018

"good price only for locals"

Not Verified | Lima to Trujillo. This airline offer good price only for locals and overcharge to international customers. Then the flight was late and I arrived later because delayed. The airplane was there yet but they didn't let me check in my luggage because they affirm that the flight was closed. How they can close a flight which airplane is behind and has not arrived yet. I requested to talk with the supervisor and ignored me saying that the supervisor was busy helping another person. I was with my 1 year old baby and my grandma of 83 years old, my daughter and husband and I was mistreated by their personnel. Ignoring my situation and condition in that moment. I came to Peru after 5 years and my day was so far pretty bad due to these people.
RouteLima to Trujillo
Date FlownJune 2018

"Luggage lost and not compensated"

Not Verified | Luggage lost and not compensated. I took a flight with them last October and at the check out they forced me to register my tent separately from my luggage. I said it would get lost because it is small but they didnt care. When I arrived at my destination, not only were both luggage and tent delayed 1 day because our flight was late, but the tent was never delivered to me. I have sent 3 messages on their client platforms, called many times and even went to their offices. Every time they acknowledge the tent is missing and file some paperwork and say I will hear from them soon. It is June and I still haven't been contacted back despite my many attempts. Clearly the tent is lost, but the company refuses to offer compensation. I trusted them with an object worth 500 euros and they lost it and haven't even tried to find it. They probably hope that by ignoring me I will stop asking for decent service, but at least I can inform other passengers about how customer service is handled by Avianca.
RouteBogota to Madrid
Date FlownOctober 2017

"I didn't have my suitcases"

Trip Verified | A really bad experience, full of miscommunication and poor customer service. It started when I landed in Rio de Janeiro and I didn't have my suitcases. The ladies at the Avianca counter told me I'd have my basic expenses reimbursed. They told me my luggage would be delivered on the following day. I explained to them that I wasn't in a hotel or in an apartment with a doorman/ receptionist. They said it'd be considered when they analyzed my situation. I had 2 choices either to picked up my luggage at the airport or wait all day for the delivery since they don't have a certain time to do that. I called Avianca on the next day to make sure my baggage would be there and the associate on the phone told me a flight from Colombia (where my suitcases were suppose to come from) had landed that morning. I headed to the airport and then the flight was delayed, no flight had landed. Later on, I sent somebody to pick up my suitcases at the airport while I was having my birthday party. After all that inconvenience, I had to struggle with Avianca for 2 months to have my transportation expenses reimbursed. The whole process was very disappointing.
RouteBogota to Rio de Janeiro
Date FlownApril 2018

"poorly run airline"

Trip Verified | My wife and I used Avianca on 5 flights within Colombia and an international flight to the USA and a r/t flight to Peru from Colombia. All five flights in Colombia were delayed by as much as 2 hours causing us to miss connections twice. All five! The Peru flight was canceled and via a much longer route we arrived a day later. The USA Miami flight was late departing and arriving and we were 15 minutes from missing a United Flight connection. I have been flying Internationally for 28 years. I have used many 3rd world airlines. Never have I experienced such an unreliable and poorly run airline.
RouteBogota to Cartagena

"everything was outstanding"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | London to Bogota. Excellent flight and everything was outstanding. From the booking, to check in at Heathrow Airport, Boarding and service during the flight. The meal from London to Bogota was very good, excellent cuisine, in fact much better than the one from Bogota to London.
RouteLondon to Bogota
Date FlownJune 2018

"Bad experience, delays, cancellations"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | New York to Bogota. Bad experience, delays, cancellations, I cannot understand how can they be part of Star Alliance. We had two huge delays on our flights to/from NYC. The first flight on May 19th had a 7h delay. The explanation a flash lightning hit the aircraft. After checking Flight Radar I noticed that our aircraft was coming from London and only arrived in Bogotá at 3am (our flight was 22.49 night before). Nobody seemed to be worried or concerned with passengers. The second flight on May 20th had a 3 hour delay, again no explanations. With this delay we missed our connection to São Paulo (GRU). Again the airline was disappointing, they did not put the passengers on the next flight, they waited so there were no seats available on the next flight, only for the following day, making us stay 24hrs in Bogotá. Seat was good, entertainment good and beverages poor.
RouteNew York to Bogota