Avianca

"not overwhelming experience"

Trip Verified | Lima to Sao Paulo. Friendly check in. Unfortunately there is no lounge (bear in mind Lima is a huge city, and there are some lounges but not for Avianca). They offer you a god and beverage coupon in a small fast food place, where food is really not good - disappointing. Boarding was not so pleasant, staff were rude (Peruvian people are normally so friendly I don't know what happened here). Old aircraft, my seat had old bottles from previous passenger. Toilet seat broken, you could not really use it. Food not good. Staff were friendly on board. Flight was on time. Seats are ok, not fully flat but ok for 5 hours flight. Overall not overwhelming experience but ok.
RouteLima to Sao Paulo

"changed without notification"

(Honduras)

Trip Verified | Tegucigalpa to San Jose via San Salvador. Original itinerary was changed without any notification. First departing flight out of TGU was delayed two hours. One bag did not arrive to original departure point (TGU). After calling the Tegucigalpa desk repeatedly I was informed the staff could not access the baggage system. I was never notified about my bag being found and returned to TGU, and upon presenting myself at the Tegucigalpa desk I was told they could not see me because it was 11:10 and they were going to leave for lunch. I was asked to come back at 3. At 3:10pm I returned and they still had no information about my luggage. Upon asking for a complaint form I was told by the Tegucigalpa desk they did not have any, and I was given a blank sheet of paper to issue a complaint in, and was told they would "enter it into the system". The online Avianca complaint system does not work, and neither does the online chat. It is a farce.
RouteTegucigalpa to San Jose via San Salvador
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"lost my connection flight"

(Panama)

Trip Verified | Panama to Boston via San Salvador. It was a terrible mistake use this airline. Flights are delayed and I lost my connection flight to Panama. They put me in another flight the next day (not even direct, with a layover in San José), and this flight was delayed too.
RoutePanama to Boston via San Salvador

"a disappointing experience"

Trip Verified | Cartagena to Medellin. This was a disappointing experience. Check in was fine and the their is a lounge for business class passengers in the Cartagena airport. However, my seat's electronic functions for changing positions did not work. None of them work so I was unable to adjust the seat. Also, the flight attendant did not ask me if I wanted any drinks or snack during the flight. He seemed to forgot where he stopped his service. I did not ask for anything but nothing was offered either.
RouteCartagena to Medellin

"the plane was changed"

Trip Verified | Cali to Madrid. We originally booked this flight because of the B787 plane. With my broken back and 6' stature of myself (and my husband) I needed the extra space. However, several months after booking, the plane was changed to some airline company we've never heard of, and our seats were separated (we were able to change the seats to be together). Although we weren't familiar with the plane, we presumed that the Avianca would give us a plane that was comparable to the Dreamliner, especially with the length of the flight. However, once onboard it quickly became apparent, that our 10 hour flight was not going to be what we booked or expected. Toilets didn't flush. My legs were actually up against the seat in front of me, and when the seat was reclined I was actually pinned in, couldn't move, and therefore the seat couldn't go all the way back. My husband ended up moving to the row across from me, just so that I could stretchout. They ran out of food - no egg meals, no milk for the cereal. No air vents for either fresh air. It was so warm and stagnant you could hardly breath, and they claimed they couldn't lower the temp. This plane had to be the worst and most uncomfortable experience of my flying career and when we paid for the Dreamliner, we are extremely disappointed. What was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime started out a complete nightmare. We have been attempting to file this complaint, however, first they could not find our locator number, so we had to find our tickets. So now we have our tickets and they can't take a complaint in English. We were finally able to file the complaint, we were granted a $200 voucher, but as of today, we've yet to see or hear anything more from Avianca. We have given them business in the past and a very large payment for these tickets but I'm afraid, if they don't care enough to follow thru with my disappointment we don't care to give them any more of our business.
RouteCali to Madrid
Date FlownMay 2018

"Overall, was a good flight"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Bogotá in Avianca on B787 in Economy. Check in was clear and efficient, but had to transfer from Terminal 3 to TBIT for Departure. Boarding went smooth, calling groups by letter. Wasn't much overhead bin space as we boarded last. Departed 5 minutes early. In-Flight Entertainment was extensive with about 15 movies and TV shows, but could be a bit glitchy during takeoff and landing. Although online they said there was WiFi, there wasn't an option connecting on board, but wasn't needed because of the great IFE. Recline was extremely good, about a good 6 inches (15 cm). Food was okay, I chose Pasta over Beef. Overall, was a good flight. A precaution is that if you would like water at other times out of the drink service and landing, you have to ask the flight attendants for it, and they do not speak too much english, so basic Spanish will most likely be needed. Arrived 30 minutes early in Bogotá. Would overall recommend Avianca.
RouteLos Angeles to Bogotá

"ruined our trip"

Trip Verified | We had a terrible experience with Avianca. We booked our flights in May to travel in August from Cusco to Puerto Maldonado in Peru. We tried to check in the night before travelling but the website was advising us to go to the check in desk to complete it. When we arrived there they said that our seats had been assigned to someone else for two reasons: first of all apparently we bought our tickets in overbooking and secondly our seats were assigned to someone else as the day before a flight was cancelled. When we asked how we could know that we bought our tickets in overbooking, as it wasn't mentioned anywhere, they confirmed that there was no way to know but we should have guessed it as the price was lower than normal?? They kept us waiting for two hours in case someone decided to postpone their flight and of course it didn't happen. Avianca offered to book the next available flight which was the day after but we had to be in Puerto Maldonato the same day, no other options, so we had to take a taxi (9 hours) to reach our destination on time. We asked for a refund and Avianca advised us to go to their headquarter in Cusco. We took a taxi and once arrived in the main office they told us that it wasn't possible for us to ask for a refund there but that we should have forwarded the request through the website. I would advise not to travel with this company, it totally ruined our trip and costed us $650 extra to reach our destination.
RouteCusco to Puerto Maldonado

"Try to avoid"

Trip Verified | Puerto Maldonado to Lima. The flight with Avianca was the first section of our return flight back to Europe and we were booked in Business Class - it was one booking, one ticket. First Avianca was not able to check our luggage through to the final destination - because we "fly with another airline then". Well, one ticket, one booking. I have never heard a story like this from another airline. We had to pick up our luggage in Lima and check-in with the next airline again. Took us one hour. And it was not for customs (there was no customs check in Lima) - as they said it is "their policy". Ridiculous. Secondly we got no meals offered - on a 3 hours flight in Business Class! And when I asked whether we could have lunch I received the same answer - it is not "their policy" to serve food. c - you are not getting what you pay for.
RoutePuerto Maldonado to Lima
Date FlownAugust 2018

"had my ticket downgraded"

Not Verified | Sao Paulo to Calgary and had my ticket downgraded without any notice. The day before my flight I tried to check in and was informed that my business class ticket had been changed to an economy ticket as Avianca had switched their aircraft. Even after calling Avianca more than 8 times to see if they could switch me to another flight or give me the ticket difference back the only solution given by them was a small compensation that could only be used on Avianca products. I paid more for a service that they are no longer offering but are still accepting payment for to only be told that the money that I could get back had to be spent with them.
RouteSao Paulo to Calgary
Date FlownAugust 2018

"very disappointed in Avianca"

Trip Verified | Bogota to Aruba. We booked our flights weeks in advance and noticed during the check in period of our return flight that we were not able to do online check in. The only message we got was to find a staff member of Avianca. At the airport after queuing for long time we were notified that the flight is overbooked. Avianca overbooks all the time, why does the employee act as if she is doing this for the first time? Avianca knew 1 day ahead that flight is overbooked, why not inform us and avoid us getting up at 4:30 am and get angry at the airport? Avianca rebooks us onto an alternative which is also sold out, costing another 15 minutes to find another option - after making a picture with the mobile phone of their computer screen that person went away to manually print our new ticket. At the counter there are 2 employees standing next to the person handling our case and she is laughing and chitchatting with them about things which are not relevant to us. Avianca allows employees at check in counters to spend so much time per customer, it is not strange that flights get even more delayed and passengers even more annoyed! We did receive the the breakfast voucher since were rebooked to a flight 10 hrs later and flight compensation EMDS. I am very disappointed in Avianca as a national airline carrier.
RouteBogota to Aruba