Vote Now

Avianca

"I am not looking forward to it"

Verified Review | Customer service or the lack of it when booking a flight. You cannot deal with these people, they just do not bother to contact you. Their chat is automated, their call centre is scripted. I have not flown with them as yet and I assure you I am not looking forward to it. They cannot be bothered to help me with a trivial dispute which was caused by an error on their webpage. Just remember once they have your money they dont give a damn anymore. I have yet to fly with them. My flight is in February. That's if I dont cancel in frustration.
RouteBogota to Cartagena
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"helping us through every step"

Verified Review | Lima to San Francisco via El Savador. A company's character is defined by how it runs its business when its customers need it the most. My review is based on one such experience where I got injured while on vacation in Machu Pichhu. Except for Avianca, all other companies I had to deal with due to the injury were a flat disappointment. The patience with which customer service talks to you, even in repeat calls, different questions, long conversations, etc. In about 15 calls only one I had to wait in queue for 2 minutes, a welcome change after dealing with customer service centers in USA where 20 minutes of wait times are a norm. The consideration they gave to me and my wife after knowing that I am injured and need to go back to hometown to get treatment due to my medical history is commendable. They booked us on next morning flights, with somebody helping us through every step at the airport. They gave us VIP lounge free for our long layover in El Savador. It was surreal to see how much they cared. I would love to fly Avianca in future with the confidence that if things go sideways, there is somebody who cares.
RouteLima to San Francisco via El Savador
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"extremely good value"

(Colombia)

Verified Review | London to Medellin via Bogota. Given the pricing of Avianca business class flight compared with the competition they are extremely good value. The new Boeing 787s have an excellent business class cabin (not that the A330 was bad). If there are drawbacks it's the food which isn't up to standard. The lounges both in Bogota and the United lounge in Heathrow are nothing special. Note the United lounge starts to close just as passengers are arriving for the Avianca flight. Service isn't world class, but cabin crew are generally pretty good. In terms of punctuality Avianca suffers domestically because of the often challenging weather. At the present time there are considerably more delays in country because of work going on at Bogota airport and elsewhere. Avianca is a stunning deal and the direct flights to and from London are excellent.
RouteLHR to MDE via BOG
Date FlownDecember 2016

"without any air conditioning"

(Colombia)

Verified Review | Bogota to Pereira, and the Avianca flight was 90 minutes late for no reason. We had to wait inside the flight for about one hour without any air conditioning, service, or minimum explanation. No clear reason as to why the delay. Only when people started to really get mad, the plane finally left.
RouteBOG to PEI
Date FlownDecember 2016

"very small selection of food"

(Estonia)

I have been flying Avianca for last 18 months, and the service has been deteriorating dramatically. On my last trip, took 3 legs of Avianca. On all legs priority boarding was not supported (I am LH Senator). I requested to have emergency row seating at check-in, and was told yes. I was not seated in emergency row on any flights. The lounge in Lima is a disaster. On LIM-BOG leg they are using B787, but the crew seemed to be working for the first time - they ran the trolley into passengers legs and my chicken was spilled on top of my shirt. When I asked the attendant to bring me a wet wipe from Business she replied I could use the paper towel. Only one drink run, together with food. Very small selection of food, no alcoholic beverages served. Two flights were late, one for 1 hour, resulting missed connection in BOG. Eventually Avianca lost my luggage, and delivered it only 24 hours later, though there are flights every hour between BOG to MED.
AircraftBoeing 787 / A320
RouteASU to MDE via LIM / BOG
Date FlownDecember 2016

"staff were not organized"

Verified Review | My flight from Chicago to Quito via San Salvador was a disaster. First part of my flight to San Salvador arrived as scheduled but from San Salvador to Quito things got sour. They canceled my flight and I had no choice but to take a flight to Lima, spend the night there and next day fly to Quito. Once we arrived in Lima, Avianca staff were not organized. It took a couple hours before we were transported to our hotel. I arrived in Quito 5 hours later than originally scheduled. My trip was only for two days so this really made things challenging. My trip returning to the US didn't get any better. I got to the airport about two and a half hours before check in. When I got there the flight to Chicago had been canceled again. I talked to Avianca at the check in counter. They gave me no reasonable excuse of the cancelation. They said they had been having problems with their planes. I noticed that several flights within Ecuador had also been canceled. This nightmare had just started. They instructed me to wait for a couple hours before checking in with American Airlines. They were able to re-route me via Miami. At that point I was just happy to be able to leave even though I would arrive 4 hours later in Chicago. When I approached the American Airlines counter, they told me that I was not in their system. Avianca had not confirmed a spot for me and another 12 people even after reassuring us that a booking had been made through American Airlines. For the next two and a half hours all we did was talk with Avianca staff. They instructed us to go from one place to another. From offices to domestic counter, back to the international departures area. They did not take it upon themselves to help us. They never offered to resolve this for us. There was a young couple with a baby, I remember. They had no sense of priority or customer service. Seems they could care less for their customers. We were all tired, hungry and very, very frustrated. It seemed no one cared or understood our frustration. After insisting with several Avianca employees time after time, American finally got me on their flight to Miami. It was a sense of relief stepping onto the plane and knowing that I would be finally going home. I promised never again to fly on Avianca.
RouteORD to UIO via SAL

"get what you pay for"

Verified Review | I flew with Avianca London to Havana return via Bogota this November. Not a nice experience. I never call assistance on a flight but on the first journey, I wanted to ask for a pen to fill in the form they gave us so I rang the bell - but no attendant came, they just ignored the bell. My suitcase arrived with one wheel missing in Havana and I was told to fill a form in at the desk. When I got there, there was no one from Avianca and I was told to wait for the lady to come, which is the least you want to do when you have been travelling for over 20hrs. After 20mins, she was still not there, I asked another airport person and she called her, then said she was on her way. But after another 10mins, the Avianca lady still wasn't there and no one could tell me where she had gone or when she would turn up at her desk. By then I gave up. On my way back yesterday, I told the Avianca manager at the check-in desk and she filled the form in for me. I did not appreciate that the manager assured me the Avianca desk was always attended and was basically insinuating that I was lying, unbelievable. Other than that, all 4 flights that I took were packed, not a single seat free and the journeys were uncomfortable. On the last Bogota to London leg, they had overbooked and some people could not get on the plane, someone told me 11 of them (they asked for volunteers to stay overnight in Bogota but did not seem to attract any takers!). That plane (Boeing 787) was very uncomfortable, seats were tiny and the heat was so unbearable I could not sleep. The only positive thing about this airline is the cheap cost compared to others companies. At the end of the day, the saying is true, you get what you pay for.
RouteHAV to LHR via BOG
Date FlownNovember 2016

"these people are idiots"

(Costa Rica)

Verified Review | The return leg of this round trip (San Jose to Chicago) was to occur Saturday, November 26 at 5:40am. We arrived at San Jose at 3:40am. A representative of Avianca stopped us as we approached the check-in windows and informed us our flight was cancelled. She would not let us approach the ticket windows, saying no one there could help us reschedule. Instead she said we must call the customer service number. After a long time on hold I reached someone at this number who informed me that no one could help us reschedule until 5:30am when the office opened. I returned to the agent with this information but she refused to let us get help from a ticket agent. We returned to our hotel room and call the number at 5:29am. We were on hold for 45 minutes. When someone answered we were told that the customer center could not help us reschedule our flight, we must do this at the airport; the airport we had been turned away from at 4am. We returned to the airport and waited in a long line where only one agent working. We were then told that we could be on the flight on Tuesday morning - 3 days later. The airline refused to take any responsibility for our accommodations and would not find us passage on another airline because, according to them, the cancellation was weather related. I live in Costa Rica and this flight was for my daughter’s return to Chicago. We had “weathered” the non-hurricane in San Isidro de General and had driven from there to SJO on Friday under sunny skies. It was sunny skies in San Jose Friday when we arrived and clear skies Saturday morning when we went to the airport. On Saturday morning when our flight was cancelled other Avianca flights were traveling from SJO to San Salvador airport. In other words there was absolutely no weather issue in Costa Rica or San Salvador or in between. It was the smirks on the agent's faces when they told us there was nothing they would do to help us that was especially galling. The idiotic run around from the airport to the phone center to the airport wasted the time when we could used to make alternate arrangements. While we waited to learn what Avianca was going to do for us alternate ticket prices skyrocketed. Why couldn't they have just told us our flight would be Tuesday morning and they would do nothing to help us at 4am when we were face to face at the airport? This critical information at 4am would have allowed us to make affordable arrangements ourselves. These people are idiots. Don’t let them ruin your trip. Any time or money savings you think you might save flying with them comes at a very high risk and for us cost.
RouteSJO to ORD via SAL

"Deplorable attitude"

(Costa Rica)

Deplorable attitude of Avianca. The San Salvador - San Jose flight is canceled due to bad weather, obviously not the fault of the airline. But it is unacceptable that they call a small group of passengers and take them to a hotel, and the others leave us like dogs at the airport. See how they survive. Shameful. Deplorable la actitud de Avianca. El vuelo San Salvador - San Jose se cancela por mal tiempo, obviamente no es culpa de la aerolínea. Pero es inaceptable que llamen a un grupo reducido de pasajeros y los lleven a un hotel, y a los demás nos dejan botados como perros en el aeropuerto. A ver cómo sobreviven. Vergonzoso.
RouteSAL to SJO
Date FlownNovember 2016

"last time I will fly with Avianca"

Verified Review | Lima to Washingto IAD via San Salvador with Avianca. I suffered from severe altitude sickness in Cusco and had to leave early to go back to Lima because of it. We first called Avianca to change the first leg of our flight to Lima and they wanted $1600. They had the same flight listed on their website for $67. We then just booked another available flight and went to Lima. The next day we called Avianca to let them know we would not need the first leg of our flight (the second part of our flight was the next day and traveled from Lima, San Salvador then IAD). They told us it would be $100 per person to still use the second part of the flight we had already paid for. I then asked to speak to a supervisor who told me it would be $200 per person. I was very frustrated by this point and said we would call back. After calling back 10 minutes later the new lady said it would be $175 per person. They are now escalating it. It should not be this hard to deal with an airline. I fly quite a bit and this is the worst experience I have ever had, this is the first and last time I will ever fly with Avianca.
RouteLIM to IAD via SAL