Airline of the Year

Avianca

"No assistance or information"

Verified Review | Bogota to Medellin. Flight to Medellin was delayed, so i couldn't catch my return flight. No assistance or information was given, unfriendly and uninterested staff, they told me to fly to Medellin and to wait what happened there. No rebooking was offered. When I arrived I got Information from TripIt that the return flight was also delayed, first 40min announced, then later 2h 45min. Other passenger also angry about information policy. Then an aircraft change was made and we arrived with 30min delay at BOG. No english Announcements at the gate. My first and last booking on Avianca.
RouteBogota to Medellin
Date FlownJune 2017

"experiencia de vuelo fue muy buena"

(Colombia)

Verified Review | Bogota to Medellin. La experiencia de vuelo fue muy buena, las personas de la sala VIP muy atentas y el servico en el lugar fue adecuado. El vuelo salió muy bien y pude llegar a mi destino sin inconvenientes. Gracias a las personas que participaron en mi proceso de viaje. ENGLISH: The flight experience was very good, the people in the VIP room attentive and the service onboard was adequate. The flight went very well and I was able to reach my destination without inconveniences. Thanks to the people who participated in my travel process.
RouteBogota to Medellin
Date FlownJune 2017

"recommend Avianca Economy class"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Montevideo via San Salvador and Bogota. The inaugural BOG – MVD direct flight was the day before my trip. Alas, my flight had to divert to ASU and wait on board for 3 hours due to inclement weather in MVD, and as a result, we weren’t served breakfast before arrival (no big deal). All flights departed on time. Do your check-in on-line in advance to select your seats, or your wait at the check-in counter could be unnecessarily long. All flight attendants were courteous, smiley, and efficient. Their English skills could improve but are sufficient. The A320’s have overhead shared screens for movies, the A319’s have individual back-seat screens with a decent selection of audio, movies, and TV shows. Seat comfort is decent. Food was mostly okay (one beef-and-rice meal was inedible even though I was hungry). On some flights you get pillows and/or blankets and/or nothing, so bring your own essentials. On the return trip, I had a tight, 30-minute stop at San Salvador, where there is a security check for flights to the USA. By the time I made it to my flight to SFO they had already boarded half of the passengers. Thankfully I had not checked any luggage, as I imagine that it wouldn’t have made that connection. I risked the tight itinerary because the ticket price was very good, but in the future I will select the stop-over in LIM instead of BOG. I have flown other airlines from the U.S. to South America, and considering prices, schedules, comfort, and service, I recommend Avianca for Economy class. On a previous flight, I learned that their Business class is really not worth the price, by a long shot (on Business class, American Airlines is far better).
AircraftA320 / A319
RouteSFO to MVD via SAL, BOG
Date FlownMay 2017

"had to wait 9 hours at the airport"

Verified Review | I am flying Avianca from Cartagena to Quito with a connection in Bogota. The first leg of the flight was delayed by three hours, allegedly because of one crew member being "unwell". The second leg of the flight from Bogota to Quito cancelled (same day) due to an alleged mechanical problem, and had to wait 9 hours at the airport for a red eye flight. All they offered was a Burger King meal. What a joke.
RouteCartagena to Quito via Bogota

"worst customer service"

Verified Review | Lima to Los Angeles via Bogota. I have never had such a poor experience as I had on Avianca today. Waiting in the Lima airport for over 2 hours just to wait to check in showed the airlines inability to function in an organized function. After speaking to 2 different Avianca agents, we were told that we needed to continue to wait in line, despite our flight being "closed." I went to the agent a third time to ask, as our flight was taking off in 30 minutes, and she told me our flight was closed and they would move us to the next plane, which would cause us to miss our connection. After fighting with a very nice agent, she was able to get our flight to "reopen" and get us on the flight. After running through the airport we got to our gate and barely made our flight. After arriving in Columbia, Avianca called my name for extra security measures. They searched me extensively and never once able to explain to me in English what they were doing or why. Once I finally got on the plane, the agent had change our seats on the next flight from an aisle and window in the front, to the far back of the plane in the middle. They have some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced.
RouteLima to Los Angeles via Bogota
Date FlownMay 2017

"this time I am disappointed"

(Colombia)

Verified Review | São Paulo to Lima. Even though I have traveled many times in Avianca this time I am disappointed. My flight start at São Paulo with and A330 to Lima, at the time that I arrive to the the airplane my seat were damaged, they recline without push the button to recline. I tell the cabin crew that my seat has this damaged, and the cabin crew were a little angry so tell to other and she said me that the only option were at the last seat of the airplane. So I accept the change of seat. But at that seat the IFE didn't works.
RouteSão Paulo to Lima
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"quality continues to decline"

Verified Review | Orlando to Sao Paulo Bogota. Avianca's quality continues to decline, from chicken and pasta and they have gone to pasta and hamburger with blue cheese. No options! The special meals are very low quality and no taste. When you compare to other airlines, you feel the big difference. Not to mention the cheap wines and lack of champagne. They offer cheap Chilean sparking wine as champagne.
AircraftA330-200
RouteOrlando to Sao Paulo Bogota
Date FlownMay 2017

"I was prevented from boarding"

Verified Review | Bogota to Santa Cruz via Lima. I checked in at Bogota El Dorado airport 3 hours before my flight to Santa Cruz Bolivia, via Lima on 8th April, Avianca officials prevented me boarding the flight as they said I was not in possession of a yellow fever certificate which was mandatory for Bolivia. I was not asked for proof of vaccination at check in. When I was prevented from boarding the aircraft I was also told that my bag had not been loaded so Avianca staff had obviously been aware of the situation for some time, but no one had contacted me while I had been in the lounge for three hours to advise me of the situation, if they had I could have obtained the vaccination at El Dorado airport during this time. Avianca made me pay to rebook my flight and I had to pay for a hotel before resuming my travel to Santa Cruz Bolivia the next day where on arrival I was told that a yellow fever vaccination was not required! I tried to speak to the duty manager for Avianca on the evening of the 8th April to ask that Avianca contribute to the rebooking and hotel but he sent a message through ground staff that he was too busy to bother with my problem.
RouteBogota to Santa Cruz via Lima
Date FlownApril 2017

"no-frills, on-time experience"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Montevideo via San Salvador and Lima return March 22. All flights were on time. Desk and gate agents were cordial and professional. Video entertainment on shared overhead screens was identical on multiple flights (other airlines vary programming on South-bound vs. North-bound flights). Most on-board meals were good but a couple were sub-standard (ie. barely warm). Announcements in English were often unintelligible, but they were fine in Spanish. The left-side rear bathroom door on the aircraft used for flight 904 from MVD to LIM on March 22 had an open gap with the doorframe, so after you sat down, you realized you were exposed to the galley. Cabin Crew were excellent across all 6 flights, unlike other airlines where they tend to disappear soon after take-off (Aerolineas Argentinas comes to mind). There are no seat-back pockets, so your knees enjoy a bit of extra leg room but you don’t have a place to store small items such as your bottle of water. Not all flights offer blankets, but all flights get very cold (so, dress accordingly). Overall, the price was right, the food, entertainment, and seat-comfort were acceptable, and the cabin crew were great. I recommend this airline to anyone who seeks a no-frills, on-time travel experience.
AircraftA319 / A320 / A330
RouteSFO to MVD via SAL/LIM
Date FlownMarch 2017

"these were all excellent flights"

Verified Review | London to Bogota, Medellin to Cartagena, Santa Marta to London via Bogota over a period of three weeks. Similar to my previous experiences with Avianca, these were all excellent flights with a decent level of service. Avianca now use the Boeing 787 on the London-Bogota route, which is probably my favourite plane to fly long haul (not that the previous A330 was bad). The tinted windows, higher pressurisation, gentle lighting and more spacious cabin of the 787s make a big difference when you are on a 10+ hour flight. Avianca cabin crew were more friendly on this occasion than previously, and the IFE offering on the Boeing 787 was also very good. Only complaint about the long-haul legs is the food: on the way out the offerings weren't too bad, but the BOG-LHR return flight featured some of the worst airline food I've had in recent years. Domestic flights were very pleasant and all ran on time. Medellin airport is unfortunately quite far out of the city, but check-in was a breeze and the trip to Cartagena takes less than an hour. Decent inflight service, with free drinks, for such a short flight. Baggage reclaim in Cartagena was rapid. On my return flight from Santa Marta to Bogota (connecting to LHR), I arrived very early at Santa Marta airport (3 hours before my flight). The friendly check-in agent offered me a seat on an earlier flight to Bogota which saved me 2 hours of sitting in Santa Marta airport, where there is absolutely nothing to do. This also saved me having to worry about rushing a connection between terminals in Bogota, and gave me plenty of time to charge my electronics and find food at BOG before my international flight. I'd continue to use Avianca for connections to Latin America: the direct LHR-BOG flight on its own is a major plus, compared to having to transfer in a US airport (with the associated hassle of US immigration and re-checking bags, etc).
AircraftBoeing 787 / A320 / A318