Airline of the Year

Avianca

"worst customer service"

Verified Review | Lima to Los Angeles via Bogota. I have never had such a poor experience as I had on Avianca today. Waiting in the Lima airport for over 2 hours just to wait to check in showed the airlines inability to function in an organized function. After speaking to 2 different Avianca agents, we were told that we needed to continue to wait in line, despite our flight being "closed." I went to the agent a third time to ask, as our flight was taking off in 30 minutes, and she told me our flight was closed and they would move us to the next plane, which would cause us to miss our connection. After fighting with a very nice agent, she was able to get our flight to "reopen" and get us on the flight. After running through the airport we got to our gate and barely made our flight. After arriving in Columbia, Avianca called my name for extra security measures. They searched me extensively and never once able to explain to me in English what they were doing or why. Once I finally got on the plane, the agent had change our seats on the next flight from an aisle and window in the front, to the far back of the plane in the middle. They have some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced.
RouteLima to Los Angeles via Bogota
Date FlownMay 2017

"this time I am disappointed"

(Colombia)

Verified Review | São Paulo to Lima. Even though I have traveled many times in Avianca this time I am disappointed. My flight start at São Paulo with and A330 to Lima, at the time that I arrive to the the airplane my seat were damaged, they recline without push the button to recline. I tell the cabin crew that my seat has this damaged, and the cabin crew were a little angry so tell to other and she said me that the only option were at the last seat of the airplane. So I accept the change of seat. But at that seat the IFE didn't works.
RouteSão Paulo to Lima
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"quality continues to decline"

Verified Review | Orlando to Sao Paulo Bogota. Avianca's quality continues to decline, from chicken and pasta and they have gone to pasta and hamburger with blue cheese. No options! The special meals are very low quality and no taste. When you compare to other airlines, you feel the big difference. Not to mention the cheap wines and lack of champagne. They offer cheap Chilean sparking wine as champagne.
AircraftA330-200
RouteOrlando to Sao Paulo Bogota
Date FlownMay 2017

"I was prevented from boarding"

Verified Review | Bogota to Santa Cruz via Lima. I checked in at Bogota El Dorado airport 3 hours before my flight to Santa Cruz Bolivia, via Lima on 8th April, Avianca officials prevented me boarding the flight as they said I was not in possession of a yellow fever certificate which was mandatory for Bolivia. I was not asked for proof of vaccination at check in. When I was prevented from boarding the aircraft I was also told that my bag had not been loaded so Avianca staff had obviously been aware of the situation for some time, but no one had contacted me while I had been in the lounge for three hours to advise me of the situation, if they had I could have obtained the vaccination at El Dorado airport during this time. Avianca made me pay to rebook my flight and I had to pay for a hotel before resuming my travel to Santa Cruz Bolivia the next day where on arrival I was told that a yellow fever vaccination was not required! I tried to speak to the duty manager for Avianca on the evening of the 8th April to ask that Avianca contribute to the rebooking and hotel but he sent a message through ground staff that he was too busy to bother with my problem.
RouteBogota to Santa Cruz via Lima
Date FlownApril 2017

"no-frills, on-time experience"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Montevideo via San Salvador and Lima return March 22. All flights were on time. Desk and gate agents were cordial and professional. Video entertainment on shared overhead screens was identical on multiple flights (other airlines vary programming on South-bound vs. North-bound flights). Most on-board meals were good but a couple were sub-standard (ie. barely warm). Announcements in English were often unintelligible, but they were fine in Spanish. The left-side rear bathroom door on the aircraft used for flight 904 from MVD to LIM on March 22 had an open gap with the doorframe, so after you sat down, you realized you were exposed to the galley. Cabin Crew were excellent across all 6 flights, unlike other airlines where they tend to disappear soon after take-off (Aerolineas Argentinas comes to mind). There are no seat-back pockets, so your knees enjoy a bit of extra leg room but you don’t have a place to store small items such as your bottle of water. Not all flights offer blankets, but all flights get very cold (so, dress accordingly). Overall, the price was right, the food, entertainment, and seat-comfort were acceptable, and the cabin crew were great. I recommend this airline to anyone who seeks a no-frills, on-time travel experience.
AircraftA319 / A320 / A330
RouteSFO to MVD via SAL/LIM
Date FlownMarch 2017

"these were all excellent flights"

Verified Review | London to Bogota, Medellin to Cartagena, Santa Marta to London via Bogota over a period of three weeks. Similar to my previous experiences with Avianca, these were all excellent flights with a decent level of service. Avianca now use the Boeing 787 on the London-Bogota route, which is probably my favourite plane to fly long haul (not that the previous A330 was bad). The tinted windows, higher pressurisation, gentle lighting and more spacious cabin of the 787s make a big difference when you are on a 10+ hour flight. Avianca cabin crew were more friendly on this occasion than previously, and the IFE offering on the Boeing 787 was also very good. Only complaint about the long-haul legs is the food: on the way out the offerings weren't too bad, but the BOG-LHR return flight featured some of the worst airline food I've had in recent years. Domestic flights were very pleasant and all ran on time. Medellin airport is unfortunately quite far out of the city, but check-in was a breeze and the trip to Cartagena takes less than an hour. Decent inflight service, with free drinks, for such a short flight. Baggage reclaim in Cartagena was rapid. On my return flight from Santa Marta to Bogota (connecting to LHR), I arrived very early at Santa Marta airport (3 hours before my flight). The friendly check-in agent offered me a seat on an earlier flight to Bogota which saved me 2 hours of sitting in Santa Marta airport, where there is absolutely nothing to do. This also saved me having to worry about rushing a connection between terminals in Bogota, and gave me plenty of time to charge my electronics and find food at BOG before my international flight. I'd continue to use Avianca for connections to Latin America: the direct LHR-BOG flight on its own is a major plus, compared to having to transfer in a US airport (with the associated hassle of US immigration and re-checking bags, etc).
AircraftBoeing 787 / A320 / A318
RouteLondon to Bogota
Date FlownMarch 2017

"lack of customer service"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to San Salvador. I could not check in 24 hours in advance because there was a glitch on the website and nobody would answer the 800 number. I tried to check in in Seattle but the man could not check me in either. He told me to check in at the desk when I arrived in Los Angeles. The Seattle to LA flight with Alaska Airlines was delayed so I had 40 minutes to get to my connecting flight on Avianca. When I arrived at the ticket counter there was nobody around so I called the 800 number. There were staff available in the office next to the ticket counter but nobody would come out to check me in and nobody would answer the 800 number. Finally, when I found their office I asked for assistance to get me on another flight but instead of helping me they sent me back to Alaska because they said it was not their fault that I was late. There were many other options for today but they didn't try much so I had to take a flight the next day. The problem I had was that Alaska Airlines was late but nobody was there to check me in and I had plenty of time to get to my connecting flight. I talked to several people in their office and nobody would help me and kept trying to have Alaska fix the problem. I felt like a ping pong ball and they are in different terminals. They would not cover my hotel room even though I could have made my flight, I begged actually. Nobody answers the 800 number which is poor customer service and they would not make an acception for an obvious lack of customer service.
RouteLos Angeles to San Salvador
Date FlownMarch 2017

"I am not looking forward to it"

Verified Review | Customer service or the lack of it when booking a flight. You cannot deal with these people, they just do not bother to contact you. Their chat is automated, their call centre is scripted. I have not flown with them as yet and I assure you I am not looking forward to it. They cannot be bothered to help me with a trivial dispute which was caused by an error on their webpage. Just remember once they have your money they dont give a damn anymore. I have yet to fly with them. My flight is in February. That's if I dont cancel in frustration.
RouteBogota to Cartagena
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"helping us through every step"

Verified Review | Lima to San Francisco via El Savador. A company's character is defined by how it runs its business when its customers need it the most. My review is based on one such experience where I got injured while on vacation in Machu Pichhu. Except for Avianca, all other companies I had to deal with due to the injury were a flat disappointment. The patience with which customer service talks to you, even in repeat calls, different questions, long conversations, etc. In about 15 calls only one I had to wait in queue for 2 minutes, a welcome change after dealing with customer service centers in USA where 20 minutes of wait times are a norm. The consideration they gave to me and my wife after knowing that I am injured and need to go back to hometown to get treatment due to my medical history is commendable. They booked us on next morning flights, with somebody helping us through every step at the airport. They gave us VIP lounge free for our long layover in El Savador. It was surreal to see how much they cared. I would love to fly Avianca in future with the confidence that if things go sideways, there is somebody who cares.
RouteLima to San Francisco via El Savador

"extremely good value"

(Colombia)

Verified Review | London to Medellin via Bogota. Given the pricing of Avianca business class flight compared with the competition they are extremely good value. The new Boeing 787s have an excellent business class cabin (not that the A330 was bad). If there are drawbacks it's the food which isn't up to standard. The lounges both in Bogota and the United lounge in Heathrow are nothing special. Note the United lounge starts to close just as passengers are arriving for the Avianca flight. Service isn't world class, but cabin crew are generally pretty good. In terms of punctuality Avianca suffers domestically because of the often challenging weather. At the present time there are considerably more delays in country because of work going on at Bogota airport and elsewhere. Avianca is a stunning deal and the direct flights to and from London are excellent.
RouteLHR to MDE via BOG