Avianca

"meals and service below average"

Review by (United States)

Guayaquil to Miami via Bogota with Avianca, which has a good fleet of newer aircraft. At check-in in Guayaquil, the gate microphone was not working. Up to 20 minutes before scheduled, the two agents at the gate never said a word to the waiting passengers a few feet away. Only when I took my boarding pass and went up to them, they scanned it and let me proceed to board. The other passengers, sensing the same, did likewise. Inflight meals and service below average. A very tough piece of beef and likewise for the chicken my wife had, not up to par with business class cabin standards. Only one of my two pieces of luggage (both tagged "priority") made it to Miami. Miami Airport is a nightmare process for US immigration, customs, luggage retrieval, and connections to other flights. It took me about 30 minutes to locate the first piece of luggage since everything was off the conveyor belt by the time we got to baggage claim, and located in small groups on the floor all around the baggage area. Walked around for another 30 minutes to confirm that the other piece was missing. The Avianca agent filled out a form that I signed and said it would be on the next flight in, and then forwarded to my final destination in NYC the next day by DHL - it was delivered by Fedex 4 days later. I am not going to say I will stop using Avianca, but I will defer to another airline if I have a choice for my intended itinerary.
RouteGYE to MIA via BOG
Date FlownAugust 2015

Review by (Colombia)

Excellent airline. New and in very good condition, clean planes with a very nice atmosphere. Flight entertainment of the highest quality. Fast check-in and baggage receipt.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteBogota to Cancun
Date FlownAugust 2015

Review by (Germany)

A few flights with AV this month between MIA and Colombia and as well domestic flights in Colombia. Very new and comfortable aircrafts, all are equipped with IFE with a good selection of films and informations about AV and the star alliance. All flights were on time, the international flights arrived before STA, good job! The service was good, on domestic flights only drinks but a hot meal was served from and to MIA. Lounges (Star Alliance Gold/ Business Class) were basic. Bad selection from food (only one sandwich or fruits), selection of drinks was ok but nothing more. But the lounges were clean and refreshed with a nice design. Security fast track only in BOG. All in all a good airline, very professional crew and FA. Highly recommended.
RouteMIA to MDE via BOG

Review by (United States)

Guayaquil to Bogota to NYC. The flight from Bogotá to New York City was one of the worst business class flights ever. The flight was delayed for over two hours in Bogotá and no one told us why or even that it was delayed. We just sat there. A plane was finally brought to the gate. The business class seats were cramped. We were not offered any refreshments until over an hour and a half into the flight. The stewardesses were very polite but not around a lot. I would never fly Avianca business class again.
RouteGuayaquil to NYC via Bogota

Review by (Bangladesh)

A good journey. Sao Paolo to Perú cabin staff are excellent. Seat is full flat 180 degrees. Food choice very good. Avianca frequent flyer program is one of best. They give many many option for redeem miles. Like air flight, Hotel, purchase from different country.
AircraftA330-200 / Embraer 190
RouteSao Paulo to Guatemala

Review by (United States)

I have flown Avianca to and from Guayaquil and always been happy with the service. The staff are friendly and helpful and for the most part my Spanishor lack thereof, has not been a problem. The planes are clean and as comfortable as they ever get in the main cabin, food has been good and I enjoy having something now and then that is more typical of South American food. The one thing that I am not happy about is that I see they have changed their schedule so that my next trip will have to have two stops instead of just the one that I have typically had in San Salvador. It looks like they are now partnering with United and I will have to fly from Chicago to Dallas or Houston and then on to San Salvador and finally to Guayaquil. I am disappointed and would like to see it go back to a one-stop flight.
RouteChicago to Guayaquil via San Salvador
Date FlownNovember 2014

Review by (United States)

Flight AV 8532 from Bogota to Baranquilla. With my Star Alliance Gold status, I was able to use the business check-in counter, which took less than 1 minute, efficient and pleasant process. They didn't bother to weigh my carry-on like some airlines. I was allowed 1 suitcase (10 kg) plus a small backpack or laptop case. There was no automatic check-in kiosks. Star Alliance Gold passengers can access the lounge for free-a nice feature. The flight departs on time. The A321 is in excellent shape, clean and well-kept, including IFE with dozens of programs at every seat even on short domestic flights. Nice leather seats. Seat pitch is reasonable. Flight attendants look sharp and professional. On this short domestic flight, refreshment is coffee or juices. I paid about $80 for a one-way one hour flight with a 7-day advance purchase.
Cabin FlownEconomy
RouteBogota (BOG) to Baranquilla (BAQ)

Review by (United States)

Flight AV 9307 from Medellin to Bogota. With my Star Alliance Gold status, I was able to use the business check-in counter, which took less than 1 minute, efficient and pleasant process. They didn't bother to weigh my carry-on like some airlines. I was allowed 1 suitcase (10 kg) plus a small backpack or laptop case. There was no automatic check-in kiosks. Star Alliance Gold passengers can access the lounge for free-a nice feature. The flight departs on time. I thought the aircraft A319 would be an antique. I was wrong. The A319 is in excellent shape, clean and well-kept, including IFE with dozens of programs at every seat even on short domestic flights. Nice leather seats. Seat pitch is reasonable. Flight attendants look sharp and professional. On this short domestic flight, refreshment is coffee or juices. I paid about $80 for a one-way one hour flight with a 7-day advance purchase. A very pleasant experience. Highly recommended.
RouteMDE to BOG

Review by (United States)

Flight AV 9761 from Baranquilla to Medellin. My first flight ever on Avianca. With my Star Alliance Gold status, I was able to use the business check-in counter, which took less than 1 minute. There was no automatic check-in kiosks. The flight departs on time. Their A320 is in excellent shape, clean and well-kept, including IFE with dozens of programs at every seat even on short domestic flights. Nice leather seats. Seat pitch is reasonable. Flight attendants look sharp and professional. On this short domestic flight, refreshment is coffee or juices. I paid about $80 for a one-way one hour flight with a 7-day advance purchase.
RouteBAQ to MDE

Review by (Bangladesh)

It was a new aircraft and very good interior. Cabin staff are gentle and polite. But the food option was not much. All over Avianca is a good airline, and I enjoyed my journey by Avianca.
RouteBogota to Sao Paulo