Avianca

"crew service: awful"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | Bogota to Santa Marta. Worst airline, 3 hours waiting to connect a flight without any reason. VIP lounge out of standards, crew service: awful, food as compensation: subway sandwich for business class. You wont like to live this experience! I prefer Latam Airlines rather than travel trough Colombia.
RouteBogota to Santa Marta
Date FlownJuly 2017

"Both of my flights delayed"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | Medellin to Cartagena. Avianca has to respect for the time of their passengers. Both of my flights today were delayed. This is the 5th time I’ve flown Avianca and they have been late 4/5 times. When I asked the staff why the flight was delayed she said I don’t understand what the problem is because it’s only 45 minutes late. Those are my 45 minutes, and I guess I’m fed up of the lack of respect of Avianca.
RouteMedellin to Cartagena
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"a flight they cancelled on me"

Trip Verified | New York to Cartagena. We booked two business class tickets for a direct fight to Cartagena that was supposed to land at noon, so we can make our boat connection to Rosario Islands. A week before our trip, we got a notice from Avianca that due to the strike, they had to reroute us through Medellin. The new flight with the layover would bring us to Cartagena at 4:30 PM which meant we would miss our boat connection. I went to the NYC office to cancel those flights and had to book a new flight with Jet Blue last minute. The agent who filled out all the cancellation forms told us it will take 6-8 weeks of the refund. At 6 weeks I called the headquarters to see what is the status of the refund. They told me to have patience and it will be more around 8 weeks. They also said they would escalate the case. At 8 weeks I called again and this time they said it will be more like 3 months to get the refund, but they reassured me they would escalate the case again. The following week I went back to the agent in NYC to see what she can do. She discovered that the claim was still pending and had been “Neglected” (her words). She told me it would serve me better to start a new claim to get new attention to the case, and she reassured me that this would not mean that I would lose my turn and have to wait another 3 months from then. At 2 months and 3 weeks I called the headquarters again, and with such chutzpah they told me my new claim was filed only a week ago and I need to wait for 90 days from the new claim to get my refund, which would mean basically 6 months from the date of the cancelled flight. As I really refused to take no for an answer, they put me through to the manager. She told me the reason the NYC agent issued me a new claim number was because there was a mistake in the way the original claim was filed and it had been rejected, not neglected. Meanwhile, nobody had bothered to call me when such rejection was done to tell me there was problem with the claim and see how we can fix it. She was also adamant that she cannot do anything else at this moment and that I will have to wait 90 more days from the filing of the new claim to see my refund. She again said she will escalate the matter, which by now we all know means nothing. She refused to give any assistance at all. Many phone calls to the headquarters and a few trips to the NYC local office, I’m still not even sure when or how I will ever get back the money from my two round trip business class seats on Avianca. They were happy to take thousands of dollars from me, changed our tickets on us without consulting us first, and now are creating all kinds of roadblocks and delay tactics in refunding the money. Even though they made a mistake in filing of the refund claim, they never bothered admitting to their mistake, nor are they taking any responsibility for a mistake that was done by their agent. Basically, they’re hoping I would just shut up and disappear so they can keep thousands of dollars for a flight they cancelled on me.
RouteNew York to Cartagena
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Terrible customer service"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | Purchased a direct flight from Bogota to Guatemala City for a business trip. Three days before the flight, received an email stating that the route had been cancelled. They offered to put me on a flight with long stopovers in San Jose and San Salvador. However, this flight sells at around $290-310. The direct flight I purchased was $510+. There were no other flights available given the lack of notice, so I had no choice but to take the overpriced flight. Felt like a bait and switch. Went two the Avianca office three times and was told I would receive a voucher for the inconvenience. This was confirmed calling the call center. I submitted requests online November 8 and did not receive any response. After 5 calls in December, still no response. After two very angry calls in late-December, finally an email. After two more angry calls in January, another email from an agent. After exchange emails for two weeks, I was told that because I completed the flight, there would be no voucher or compensation. Terrible customer service and airline.
RouteBogota to Guatemala City
Date FlownNovember 2017

"service from the FAs was pretty good"

Trip Verified | I flew with Avianca from Santiago de Chile to London via Bogota as last minute replacement to my previous flight reservation which was with Latam. I booked this flight as I got a very good deal for the business class seat. I have flown with Avianca before and I wasn’t really impressed with the plane which was old and the seat was outdated version. This time, I flew with B787 on both legs which is big improvement from the old A330. The seat configuration is similar to Cathay, AA and Qatar Airways which give all passengers direct access to aisle. This is much nicer than Latam B787 so I’m happy with the replacement flight. The check-in process was easy. I used their apps for check-in on both legs and I received the electronic boarding pass right away. The drop off point staff were also efficient. The IFE is improved version to the previous one, although the choice of movies is not on par with best airlines in the world. It didn’t bother me as I preferred to take a nap or sleep during the flight. The food was ok, nothing special. The service from the FAs was pretty good on both legs. They were all courteous and their communication skills are very good. Overall, I’m happy with the flights and I would fly with them again if the price is right.
RouteSantiago de Chile to London Heathrow via Bogota

"completely disorganised"

Trip Verified | Santa Marta to Medellin via Bogota. Booked a direct flight Santa Marta to Medellin. The airline canceled our flight and change our itinerary without notice and at last minute. We were made to get a flight that stopped in Bogota instead. We were not told that our new flight would leave an hour earlier to the one we had booked, so we almost missed the plane. Then the plane wouldn’t work and after sitting for 45 minutes waiting to take off we were told to all get off again and there would be an hour wait till we could depart. We are currently sitting at the gate waiting and it has been two hours. Our flight has now been pushed to 4pm, another two hours, which is when our connecting flight from Bogota to Medellin was meant to be. We are now going to miss our connecting flight. Never fly this airline, completely disorganised and horrible customer service.
RouteSanta Marta to Medellin via Bogota
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"the flight was a delight"

Trip Verified | This really turned into a good flight. After purchasing the flights on the 787 Avianca changed the Los Angeles - Bogota to A321 stopping at SAL which was a real bummer and I do not recommend their A321 old planes with seats that feel like you are sitting on a pallet. Anyhow, the ride back on the B787 was great! Business was 1-2-1 which is fantastic and better than US 2-2-2 set up. Cabin crew were a little rough and could use some soft skills training but they are not the worst by far. Food and drink was good, beer a bit warm. Overall the flight was a delight and the AV system and headphones are on par with other long haul carriers. I will say that Avianca does and did make changes to the itinerary several, and I mean several times, you can call them and they were nice and easy to deal with on the phone. BOG was a great place to visit and if you go, I recommend Avianca.
RouteBogota to Los Angeles
Date FlownOctober 2017

"horrible service and timing"

Trip Verified | Miami to Bogota. Horrible service and timing. I understand that over the holidays travel is congested. However, not only did Avianca changed my itinerary without notice and last minute on a round trip ticket that had been purchased 3 months in advance, but also, the airplanes I flew on looked very old and beat up. On my return flight to Miami from Bogota, originally scheduled for 2pm on January 2nd, 2018, I had to wait in line at the Bogota airport for 1 and a half hour. They did not have enough staff on the counters (about 2/3 positions empty); when I finally got to the counter at 11:00 am, I was told that I would not fly on the pm flight because it had been oversold, just like that. Unbelievable for a ticket secure over 3 months prior. I ended up leaving Bogota at 10:45 pm that night after multiple delays in a very old plane with its seats literally falling apart. What a horrible experience. Do not use this airline. I should also mention that my initial flight from Miami into Bogota was late by 5.5 hours. Apparently, this is common place with this airline.
RouteMiami to Bogota

"Cancelled without notification"

Trip Verified | San Jose to San Salvador. Cancelled flight without notification. Rebooked us in the next available flight which was one week later. Refused to give refund or compensation for hotel or meals. You’re better off setting your money on fire than buying a ticket with this airline.
RouteSan Jose to San Salvador
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"changed return flight without notice"

Trip Verified | Horrible experience on my return flight from Cali to Houston. The airline changed my return flight without notice, just received an email saying a change had occurred on my reservation. I called and they explained there was a problem on my connection so they changed it automatically. When we arrive at the airport to check in they rearranged my seating I previously had sending a minor unaccompanied. When I asked for assistance they replied if you don't want to travel, don't. I understand situations come up and things change, but I expect more.
RouteCali to Houston