Avianca

"service from the FAs was pretty good"

Trip Verified | I flew with Avianca from Santiago de Chile to London via Bogota as last minute replacement to my previous flight reservation which was with Latam. I booked this flight as I got a very good deal for the business class seat. I have flown with Avianca before and I wasn’t really impressed with the plane which was old and the seat was outdated version. This time, I flew with B787 on both legs which is big improvement from the old A330. The seat configuration is similar to Cathay, AA and Qatar Airways which give all passengers direct access to aisle. This is much nicer than Latam B787 so I’m happy with the replacement flight. The check-in process was easy. I used their apps for check-in on both legs and I received the electronic boarding pass right away. The drop off point staff were also efficient. The IFE is improved version to the previous one, although the choice of movies is not on par with best airlines in the world. It didn’t bother me as I preferred to take a nap or sleep during the flight. The food was ok, nothing special. The service from the FAs was pretty good on both legs. They were all courteous and their communication skills are very good. Overall, I’m happy with the flights and I would fly with them again if the price is right.
RouteSantiago de Chile to London Heathrow via Bogota

"completely disorganised"

Trip Verified | Santa Marta to Medellin via Bogota. Booked a direct flight Santa Marta to Medellin. The airline canceled our flight and change our itinerary without notice and at last minute. We were made to get a flight that stopped in Bogota instead. We were not told that our new flight would leave an hour earlier to the one we had booked, so we almost missed the plane. Then the plane wouldn’t work and after sitting for 45 minutes waiting to take off we were told to all get off again and there would be an hour wait till we could depart. We are currently sitting at the gate waiting and it has been two hours. Our flight has now been pushed to 4pm, another two hours, which is when our connecting flight from Bogota to Medellin was meant to be. We are now going to miss our connecting flight. Never fly this airline, completely disorganised and horrible customer service.
RouteSanta Marta to Medellin via Bogota
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"the flight was a delight"

Trip Verified | This really turned into a good flight. After purchasing the flights on the 787 Avianca changed the Los Angeles - Bogota to A321 stopping at SAL which was a real bummer and I do not recommend their A321 old planes with seats that feel like you are sitting on a pallet. Anyhow, the ride back on the B787 was great! Business was 1-2-1 which is fantastic and better than US 2-2-2 set up. Cabin crew were a little rough and could use some soft skills training but they are not the worst by far. Food and drink was good, beer a bit warm. Overall the flight was a delight and the AV system and headphones are on par with other long haul carriers. I will say that Avianca does and did make changes to the itinerary several, and I mean several times, you can call them and they were nice and easy to deal with on the phone. BOG was a great place to visit and if you go, I recommend Avianca.
RouteBogota to Los Angeles
Date FlownOctober 2017

"horrible service and timing"

Trip Verified | Miami to Bogota. Horrible service and timing. I understand that over the holidays travel is congested. However, not only did Avianca changed my itinerary without notice and last minute on a round trip ticket that had been purchased 3 months in advance, but also, the airplanes I flew on looked very old and beat up. On my return flight to Miami from Bogota, originally scheduled for 2pm on January 2nd, 2018, I had to wait in line at the Bogota airport for 1 and a half hour. They did not have enough staff on the counters (about 2/3 positions empty); when I finally got to the counter at 11:00 am, I was told that I would not fly on the pm flight because it had been oversold, just like that. Unbelievable for a ticket secure over 3 months prior. I ended up leaving Bogota at 10:45 pm that night after multiple delays in a very old plane with its seats literally falling apart. What a horrible experience. Do not use this airline. I should also mention that my initial flight from Miami into Bogota was late by 5.5 hours. Apparently, this is common place with this airline.
RouteMiami to Bogota

"Cancelled without notification"

Trip Verified | San Jose to San Salvador. Cancelled flight without notification. Rebooked us in the next available flight which was one week later. Refused to give refund or compensation for hotel or meals. You’re better off setting your money on fire than buying a ticket with this airline.
RouteSan Jose to San Salvador
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"changed return flight without notice"

Trip Verified | Horrible experience on my return flight from Cali to Houston. The airline changed my return flight without notice, just received an email saying a change had occurred on my reservation. I called and they explained there was a problem on my connection so they changed it automatically. When we arrive at the airport to check in they rearranged my seating I previously had sending a minor unaccompanied. When I asked for assistance they replied if you don't want to travel, don't. I understand situations come up and things change, but I expect more.
RouteCali to Houston
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Very efficient and pleasant staff"

(Costa Rica)

Trip Verified | A return trip from San Jose to Guatemala City, the first time I have flown with Avianca. Very efficient and pleasant staff, on check in, boarding and in the air on both flights. Comfortable seats and good legroom. The snack was not much to write home about, but it and the drinks were served in good time. It encourages me to think of using Avianca on longhaul.
RouteSan Jose de Costa Rica to Guatemala City
Date FlownDecember 2017

"these are really old planes"

Trip Verified | Washington to Lima via San Salvador. We got business class tickets for an international Avianca so my sick father would be able to lay down and be more comfortable. We paid over double per ticket for these seats and even called to make sure they were business class seats and my father would be able to lay down. Well, that was a complete lie. My parents got on their flight and the seats were only slightly larger than economy seats and certainly were not laying down. All the advertisements and information for Avianca's business class were showcasing beautiful laydown seats. What gives? Even the flight attendant was saying that these are really old planes and Avianca does not care about upgrading. My parents had four business class flights and only 1 was the real business class. We complained to Avianca and they said they can change planes up to the minute they fly so even if we buy a ticket with plane X with laydown business class seats they will change to plane Y with horrible business class seats but we still have to pay. There were coffee stains on my food tray, the blankets and pillows were not in sealed bags nor folded with an unpleasant odor. I am disgusted at the lack of care from this company and will never fly with them.
RouteWashington to Lima via San Salvador
Date FlownOctober 2017

"will never fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Cusco to Buenos Aires via Lima. Extremely poor service I received from Avianca. Yesterday morning my flight was canceled. The woman I was dealing with at the Avianca counter was not clear with instruction and I missed all my connecting flights because of it. After waiting at the airport for 3 hours dealing with this woman, I was told that my flights would have to either be canceled or rebooked to the following morning. I rebooked them but then had to purchase all new tickets for my other connecting flights, costing me a lot of money, all because of one canceled flight. I was given a phone number I was told I could call in case I needed to get a reimbursement and cancel my flights the next day. After spending all day trying to sort of how I was going to get to my final destination, I spent over an hour on the phone (using the number I was given) with 4 different Avianca representatives, trying to get a reimbursement, only to be told at the end that I needed to apply for a refund online. My whole experience with Avianca has been unprofessional, frustrating and wasting my time and money. I do not recommend using them to fly and I will never fly with them again.
RouteCusco to Buenos Aires via Lima
Date FlownNovember 2017

"staff courteous and professional"

Verified Review | Lima to Buenos Aires. This was the latest of several flights I have taken with Avianca over the past few years, and again I was very satisfied. The staff were all courteous and professional and really seemed to go the extra mile. The seats felt more comfortable than average for economy class. The in flight meal was slightly below average quality and there was no individual seat back in flight entertainment but, since it was a relatively short flight it wasn't a major problem.
RouteLima to Buenos Aires