Avianca

"Luggage lost and not compensated"

Not Verified | Luggage lost and not compensated. I took a flight with them last October and at the check out they forced me to register my tent separately from my luggage. I said it would get lost because it is small but they didnt care. When I arrived at my destination, not only were both luggage and tent delayed 1 day because our flight was late, but the tent was never delivered to me. I have sent 3 messages on their client platforms, called many times and even went to their offices. Every time they acknowledge the tent is missing and file some paperwork and say I will hear from them soon. It is June and I still haven't been contacted back despite my many attempts. Clearly the tent is lost, but the company refuses to offer compensation. I trusted them with an object worth 500 euros and they lost it and haven't even tried to find it. They probably hope that by ignoring me I will stop asking for decent service, but at least I can inform other passengers about how customer service is handled by Avianca.
RouteBogota to Madrid
Date FlownOctober 2017

"I didn't have my suitcases"

Trip Verified | A really bad experience, full of miscommunication and poor customer service. It started when I landed in Rio de Janeiro and I didn't have my suitcases. The ladies at the Avianca counter told me I'd have my basic expenses reimbursed. They told me my luggage would be delivered on the following day. I explained to them that I wasn't in a hotel or in an apartment with a doorman/ receptionist. They said it'd be considered when they analyzed my situation. I had 2 choices either to picked up my luggage at the airport or wait all day for the delivery since they don't have a certain time to do that. I called Avianca on the next day to make sure my baggage would be there and the associate on the phone told me a flight from Colombia (where my suitcases were suppose to come from) had landed that morning. I headed to the airport and then the flight was delayed, no flight had landed. Later on, I sent somebody to pick up my suitcases at the airport while I was having my birthday party. After all that inconvenience, I had to struggle with Avianca for 2 months to have my transportation expenses reimbursed. The whole process was very disappointing.
RouteBogota to Rio de Janeiro

"poorly run airline"

Trip Verified | My wife and I used Avianca on 5 flights within Colombia and an international flight to the USA and a r/t flight to Peru from Colombia. All five flights in Colombia were delayed by as much as 2 hours causing us to miss connections twice. All five! The Peru flight was canceled and via a much longer route we arrived a day later. The USA Miami flight was late departing and arriving and we were 15 minutes from missing a United Flight connection. I have been flying Internationally for 28 years. I have used many 3rd world airlines. Never have I experienced such an unreliable and poorly run airline.
RouteBogota to Cartagena
Date FlownJune 2018

"everything was outstanding"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | London to Bogota. Excellent flight and everything was outstanding. From the booking, to check in at Heathrow Airport, Boarding and service during the flight. The meal from London to Bogota was very good, excellent cuisine, in fact much better than the one from Bogota to London.
RouteLondon to Bogota
Date FlownJune 2018

"Bad experience, delays, cancellations"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | New York to Bogota. Bad experience, delays, cancellations, I cannot understand how can they be part of Star Alliance. We had two huge delays on our flights to/from NYC. The first flight on May 19th had a 7h delay. The explanation a flash lightning hit the aircraft. After checking Flight Radar I noticed that our aircraft was coming from London and only arrived in Bogotá at 3am (our flight was 22.49 night before). Nobody seemed to be worried or concerned with passengers. The second flight on May 20th had a 3 hour delay, again no explanations. With this delay we missed our connection to São Paulo (GRU). Again the airline was disappointing, they did not put the passengers on the next flight, they waited so there were no seats available on the next flight, only for the following day, making us stay 24hrs in Bogotá. Seat was good, entertainment good and beverages poor.
RouteNew York to Bogota
Date FlownMay 2018

"least they could do was upgrade me"

Trip Verified | This airline just lost a customer. After giving no notification my flight was going to be delayed, I waited for 3 hours at the gate until they told me that I was not going to make my connecting flight due to this delay. They directed me all the way back to the entrance of the airport and gave me a new ticket for a different flight at a later time. That’s two times going through security and walking around the airport to get to the gates. After spending the entire day at the airport and losing a day from my vacation, the least they could do was upgrade me to first class, which I asked both the assistant at the counter and the manager on the phone. I guess they don’t respect or value their customers.
RouteNew York to San Salvador

"promise wheelchair assistance"

Not Verified | Cusco to Houston via Bogota. Avianca's policy for passengers needing wheelchair assistance on tickets requiring a interline Star Alliance connection in Bogota. In our experience, you're out of luck. This policy was confirmed by multiple Avianca employees at the Avianca Lounge at El Dorado airport at approx 930pm on May 19 2018, including the manager (who was happy to provide his name to me). Specifically, Aviancas policy is that the connecting airline is responsible for getting you from the arrival gate to the connecting gate. To be clear, most connecting airlines have no presence in the international arrivals terminal and many dont have a presence in the airside terminal more than a few hours befor a flight. And it can be 750m or more of a walk (or crawl). Aviancas policy is complicated by the fact that Avianca ground staff at other airports (in our case Cusco) are unaware of this policy and will promise wheelchair assistance upon arrival. We were on a routing of CUZ-BOG-IAH medical return flight for a post emergency surgery patient. Avianca flight Full Y fare AV144 on 19May 2018. Connecting to Business Class UA 1006.
RouteCusco to Houston via Bogota

"terrible experience"

Trip Verified | Miami to Cusco via Bogota. Canceled our flight upon arrival to Miami airport within the hour of arrival. There was no cancelation notice via email or phone. The customer service was the worst. My fiancé was on the phone for over 2.5 hours with no offers from Avianca to help or rectify the problem. Therefore, we missed our first day in Cusco which entailed paid for excursions and a booked hotel. Their comments were simply, “I’m sorry it happens”. Literally infuriating. There is a reason why they are cheap and the customer service is terrible. Once we actually caught our flights they were delayed on boarding and leaving the airport by an hour. Overall, terrible experience.
RouteMiami to Cusco via Bogota

"Staggered and horrified"

Trip Verified | Santiago to New York via Bogota. Staggered and horrified by Avianca's non-existent service and cavalier attitude to public relations. Delayed by a total of 36 hours on a 10 hour route, with the original delay compounded by open deceit on advising both myself and my travel agent, verbally and in writing, that I had been re-booked in business class (necessary for medical reasons). On arriving at the hub in Bogota: no, we have downgraded you to economy and if you don't like it, you can wait another 17 hours. The service for passengers with a disability consists of advising you to wait till all other passengers have boarded, so you "won't be in their way", and changing your necessary aisle seat to window at their own convenience. Do all you can to avoid this airline: their own web and FB pages are a litany of unresolved complaints and refunds owed. The absolute worst experience I have ever had in 25 years of flying to and around Latin America. Atonita y enteramente molesta ante la patetica (no)respuesta de Avianca a una demora de 36 HORAS sobre un viaje de tan solo diez, con engano, mentiras y cambios ocultos de clase de servicio (de business a economy!!) de por medio. Que desgracia, que pesimas RRPP, que mala empresa. Nunca mas viajare en Avianca y fomentare que ningun/a colega lo hace tampoco
RouteSantiago to New York via Bogota

"perfunctory and sparse"

Trip Verified | Bogotá to Los Angeles. All good at check-in except my pre-assigned seat had been taken for a child whose parents were in the middle section. Additional two rows of Business seats in the front of the main cabin proved to be inferior. Lounge was OK, no better in Business than the Star Alliance Premium Lounge. Inflight service from flight attendants was perfunctory and sparse. On a flight lasting over eight hours I saw them on six occasions only. Meals were truly awful. I chose a chicken roll with vegetables for lunch, it was bland and the vegetables were just scattered on the plate. Essentially a poor economy meal served on china. It came with a miserable selection of cheeses in small portions with one meager piece of guava paste. Dessert was something called "Tiramisu", nothing like any tiramisu I have ever eaten before. Prior to landing we were served a chicken sandwich which had fused to the dish, if I received something like this at McDonald's, I would refuse it. Once we landed in LAX we engaged in a wheelchair charade that would have been comical if it not been so frustrating. There were 17 wheelchairs at the deplaning area and only four persons to push them. It was a Laurel and Hardy scenario as we see-sawed our way slowly to the Custom's area. Yes, they were not busy on a Saturday evening but it took us an hour to reach them! By the time we were through, the baggage belt had been emptied and all the ambulatory passengers were long gone. Truly a study in inefficiency and a miserable end to what had been up till then a great business trip. My suggestion, change the wheelchair assistance company and get catering from a real food service company.
RouteBogotá to Los Angeles