Avianca

"had a semi-functional seat"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Bogota. Paid in excess of US$ 500 to have my flight changed from a code-share with Wamos Air (knowing their reputation) to an Avianca operated one with the expectation that a Star Alliance Member advertising themselves as provider of premium quality flights to Latin and South America would actually provide a decent service on a 10hr+ transatlantic flight. Check in at Madrid: absolute cluster and late Departure: late (I had a connection to make in Bogota for final flight to Medellin) On the plane I had a semi-functional seat with a broken fold down tray table which resulted with my drinks in my lap. Made staff aware of it and was given a reply of "sorry we are fully booked there is nothing we can do about that." Asked to speak to the Crew Lead who was trying to be as helpful as possible which didn't however change the fact that for every drink and meal on a 10hr flight I had to stand in the galley as my tray table was clearly unserviceable. Add to that the a budget airline quality (or lack thereof) seats and in flight service insufficient for a 10hr flight with the majority of the crew being inattentive. Avianca left half of my luggage in Bogota which I then had to wait to arrive in Medellin on the next flight. I booked Avianca as a means to not having to transit through a US airport en route to Colombia which given the lack of international transit zones can be tedious at the best of times - given the choice I would rather deal with a rubber gloved TSA employee any day than ever fly Avianca again. Avianca is a sub-standard airline, providing a low quality of service, serving poor food, a limited selection of beverages for a 10hr transatlantic flight and incapable of ensuring that my luggage wastransferred correctly.
RouteMadrid to Bogota
Date FlownAugust 2018

"good service from Avianca"

Trip Verified | Cartagena to Bogota. Most of the time people will only ever leave a review when they have a bad experience I had good service from Avianca, quick response from their customer service with Regards to a potential problem, which also didn’t incur a fee which is unusual as in my experience airlines will charge you for any little thing they possibly can. Would look to use again certainly.
RouteCartagena to Bogota
Date FlownAugust 2018

"uses remote stations"

(Bolivia)

Trip Verified | Terrible experience. More often Avianca uses remote stations in Bogota, although the airport is fairly new. This time, when boarding for LPB, they took us in buses to the plane and we waited hours standing inside the bus in front of the plane before they would let us board it. Passengers were asking them to take us back to the terminal, to have something to drink, go to the toilets, etc, but they didn't listen.
RoutePanama City to La Paz via Bogota

"another great trip"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Bogotá to London. Yet another great trip with Avianca. I flew on their economy class and I had an amazing experience. We arrived into check in and we took around 5 minutes, which is amazing given that it was the time were all Avianca international flight departe. When boarding we were met by their crew and then boarded their Boeing 787. Upon arrival to our cruising altitude, meal service started with a pizza of a known Italian restaurant in Bogotá, an amazing pizza. Legroom and recline were above average for long haul flights. I had an amazing sleep in the confy seat which was quite soft . Around two hours out from London, breakfast was served. We could have a selection of cereals with a parfait yogurt, and a full colombian breakfast (scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, toasts and a colombian treat called arepa.) I went for the Colombian breakfast which was amazing as well. Our bags were delivered quickly. Overall an amazing trip.
RouteBogotá to London
Date FlownJuly 2018

"experienced the worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Upon purchasing my ticket the airline spelt my name wrong (they had my passport). When I tried to select my seat they refused to let me and said I had to go to the airport. When I tried to speak with a supervisor, I was told “they only spoke Spanish”! I needed an aisle seat and they were giving me the hardest time. On my next flight I tried to change the time and they charged me $1082. I experienced the worst customer service and I will never fly with Avianca again!
RouteCali to San Salvador

"refund request rejected"

Trip Verified | Scheduled to fly out May 24 10.20pm. Duration of trip was 3 nights/4 days. After many confusing hours, flight cancelled. Staff couldn’t tell me if I could get a refund for my ticket. If I took the replacement flight (next day afternoon) whether I could get a refund for my ticket Despite our short vacation being cut even shorter we decided to take replacement flight. Given a nights stay (it was 2am at this point) at nearby hotel. Made the most of vacation but wanted resolution with the airline. Summary of how that went: Emailed on May 25, 10 June refund request created, 25 June refund request rejected, 27 June reason for rejection was the fact that I’d taken alternate flight. Forwarded my complaint to another department. July 7 new department said no compensation will be given. Waste of time and money and zero customer service.
RouteLos Angeles to Bogota
Date FlownMay 2018

"avoid it if possible"

(Colombia)

Trip Verified | Pereira to Bucaramanga via Bogota. We were advised 24 hrs before departure that the original flight from Pereira to Bogota was cancelled for no reason. We were re-scheduled to leave four hours before. The first leg of the trip was late for no reason. The second leg of the trip was three hours late. This simple trip took 7 hours more than it should have taken. We never received explanation, a word of excuse, an extra service nor anything that would explain such changes in schedule or delays. Fly with Avianca if you must, otherwise avoid it if possible.
RoutePereira to Bucaramanga via Bogota
Date FlownJuly 2018

"the worst experience ever"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | They cancelled my TACA/Avianca flight from Havana to San Francisco via San Salvador, i told them i had a connecting flight from San Francisco to the Philippines. They never compensated and told me my flight to the Philippines is not their responsibility even if i missed it because it is with a different airline, although obviously I missed it because of their flight cancellation. This has got to be the worst experience ever. Terrible customer service.
RouteHavana to San Francisco via San Salvador
Date FlownJune 2018

"does not respect their clients"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Cali via Bogota booked for July 2018. I received and email that my flight was changed all of a sudden. The only solution they gave me was to apply for reimbursement, but I would still be charged the penalties. Avianca does not respect their clients and makes you adjust to their needs. Horrible airline. Never again will I buy from them.
RouteLos Angeles to Cali via Bogota
Date FlownJune 2018

"good price only for locals"

Not Verified | Lima to Trujillo. This airline offer good price only for locals and overcharge to international customers. Then the flight was late and I arrived later because delayed. The airplane was there yet but they didn't let me check in my luggage because they affirm that the flight was closed. How they can close a flight which airplane is behind and has not arrived yet. I requested to talk with the supervisor and ignored me saying that the supervisor was busy helping another person. I was with my 1 year old baby and my grandma of 83 years old, my daughter and husband and I was mistreated by their personnel. Ignoring my situation and condition in that moment. I came to Peru after 5 years and my day was so far pretty bad due to these people.
RouteLima to Trujillo