Air Canada

Air Canada customer review

Trip Verified | Great service on this Air Canada Express domestic Economy Flex flight, which was on time at both ends. Cabin cleanliness and cabin service were both up to snuff. Prompt drinks service and attendants that made frequent rounds. These smaller Bombardier crafts are only equipped with one bathroom and have smaller overhead bins, but having a tendency to pack light and efficiently, I had a hard time finding fault with the flight equipment. I fly AC always and fly them a several times a year, and I've always been satisfied.
AircraftBombardier Dash-8 (Q400)
RouteCalgary to Yellowknife
Date FlownDecember 2017

"The service was terrible"

Trip Verified | London to Toronto Pearson. I decided to upgrade to Premium Economy for the extra benefits. I have always travelled Air Transat Club before and thought that this might be the same or better, as it was more expensive. The service was terrible. The flight attendants seem to be in First Class and Economy and the Premium Economy gets no one. We were offered water or juice when we boarded and there was no bar service after take-off. No flight attendants were seen after take-off and close to 2 hours later, the meal came. We were given a glass of wine and refills were not offered. An hour after the meal, we were finally offered a cocktail. This should have been done before the meal service. There was one other pass of the cocktail cart when they passed out a snack before landing. I paid $3,400 return for just a larger seat. No other perks were offered and the crew were not at all pleasant. I even complained to them afterwards and just got a note thanking me for my input. I will never fly Premium Econony again as it is truly a waste of money. I do not even think I will fly Air Canada again as there Customer Service is the worst. Back to Air Transat for me.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLondon to Toronto Pearson
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Thanks for messing my day"

Trip Verified | St Johns to Houston via Toronto. My son had a game a game on Saturday December 09/2017. I have promised him that I will leave some work undone and change my flight from Sunday to Friday so that I can make it on his game on Saturday 8:00AM. I have made the change and paid the extra 524.70 $. My flight from St. John’s was delayed one hour. But was still going to make it. I have arrived to Toronto and run from the aircraft all the way to passport control which I have Global entry and that will boost the process faster. While at the passport control I still have 35 minuets and the walk to the gate is on 5 minutes. The passport control did not let me through due to my luggage was loaded off and she told me not to worry, I still have time. She said just go to the helpdesk for Air Canada which was 1 minute away. When I arrived there. I discovered that Air Canada decided to change my flight to next morning and they can’t put luggage on the plane and will not let me leave to Houston without my luggage. I have tried to explain a lot and couldn’t get them to put on that flight or any other flight that could help me to achieve my goal. And funny enough, they have told me that I was paged on my arrival gate to see if I’m going on this flight or not. This is so funny, how the heck I would know that I will be called on my arrival gate, on top of that they should’ve be expecting me running to my departure gate. They have booked me the worst hotel and have told me that I have to go to this hotel without my luggage. Normally for human being, the luggage will be needed at the hotel so that shower can be taken and changing. So they basically they don’t let me go to Houston without my luggage on the flight and would let me go to hotel without it. What make it so funny is that I’m writing this review while waiting on Saturday morning for my flight which have not arrived yet, it’s been 30 minuets already. Thanks Air Canada for messing my day and have me away from my son’s game.
RouteSt Johns to Houston via Toronto
Date FlownDecember 2017

"I was pleasantly surprised"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Brisbane. Looking to move from Canada to Australia I was happy to see a direct flight to Brisbane from Air Canada. Value for a roundtrip fare was exceptional, we booked the base economy 'Tango' fare (Y) and we picked up the round trip flight on a seat sale which cost us just under $1,000 each. This included 2 checked bags each, which really helped us as we ended up checking one of our carryon bags as we didn't need it in the cabin with us. Once at the airport, boarding was quick and efficient by the staff on the ground. We boarded and were in the air about 12:20am, 5 minutes ahead of our scheduled takeoff. We were sat in row 31, seats J & K which were exit row seats, a pillow and blanket were provided at each seat. Once the seatbelt sign was turned off meal service and drinks started right away. Options for dinner were Chicken or Beef with vegetables and potatoes. I chose chicken which was average for airplane food (Picture attached). I then browsed the entertainment selection with a post dinner drink. The entertainment had 100's of different films and sitcom option, however none had appealed to me at the time and I was fairly tired so I ended up not watching anything. The best part of the flight was the seat comfort. After dinner I put some earplugs in and went to sleep. I ended up falling asleep for a good 6 hours at which time I woke up and tried the entertainment system again to no avail, at which point I fell back asleep for a few more hours. I did have an exit row which meant I did have extra legroom, however lots of people congregate there to use the washroom that is in the centre row. Even though I had the extra legroom I was not looking forward to the 15 our flight in the middle seat, however in the end I was pleasantly surprised. About 2 hours before landing the crew came around to serve breakfast. The choices were scrambled eggs with salsa or pancakes, I choose the eggs which were not great at all, I would have choose the sweeter option. (There was another service halfway thought the flight for a light snack, however I was asleep for that service). After breakfast the crew quickly cleaned up, I changed and freshened up in the washroom which was fairly standard and had ample space to change. This one was situated in the centre of the cabin however I was told the one up front in premium economy actually had a window in the washroom. A few minutes earlier than expected we had a smooth landing in Brisbane around 9:30 am, where I felt surprisingly fresh after the 15 flight and ready to take on the day.
RouteVancouver to Brisbane

"The plane looked new"

Trip Verified | Flew Tokyo Narita to Vancouver with Air Canada. Boarding was on time and very smooth. Check in was fast, smooth, and I got the seat I had requested. The plane looked new, was very clean, and crew made sure it stayed clean throughout out the flight. Inflight entertainment was great. Lots of movies and shows to pick from. 2 meals were served on the flight and were quite decent. Best airplane food I have had thus far. I would definitely recommend long haul flights to Asia with Air Canada.
RouteTokyo to Vancouver
Date FlownNovember 2017

"staff on board all very nice"

Trip Verified | Positifs : Vols à l'heure, sièges confortables (nous avions payé pour avoir des sièges avec plus d'espace pour les jambes), personnel à bord tous très gentils. Négatifs : Les repas en vols étaient plus que médiocres. On nous a servi un bol de nouilles déshydratées avec de l'eau bouillante, un petit sandwich au jambon et deux biscuits secs pour un des repas durant le vol Toronto-Hong Kong. Et au retour, c'était le même menu. Pour le souper, nous avons eu droit à un boeuf tellement gras que ce n'était pas mangeable et comme dessert, un brownies tellement sec que le manche de ma cuillère en plastique a cassé. Pour le vol Toronto-Québec (durée de vol 1 h 40), on ne nous a rien offert à manger. Drôlement différent d'avec Bangkok Airways ou Thai Airways qui nous ont servi des repas délicieux avec des "vrais" ustensiles, et ce, même si les vols ne duraient que 1 h 30. Quand on les compare, c'est assez désolant. - Positives: Flights on time, comfortable seats (we had paid to have seats with more legroom), staff on board all very nice. Negatives: The meals in flights were more than mediocre. We were served a bowl of dehydrated noodles with boiling water, a small ham sandwich and two biscuits for one meal during the Toronto-Hong Kong flight. And on the way back, it was the same menu. For dinner, we had a beef so fat that it was not edible and as a dessert, a brownie so dry that the handle of my plastic spoon broke. For the Toronto-Quebec flight (flight time 1:40), we were not offered anything to eat. Funnily different from Bangkok Airways or Thai Airways who served us delicious meals with "real" utensils, even if the flights lasted only 1:30. When we compare them, it's pretty sad.
RouteQuebec to Bangkok via Toronto & Hong Kong

"pathetic ground handling"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Washington Dulles operated by Air Georgian. Absolutely pathetic ground handling and gate agents who had no clue about the status of the flights. Gates were changed and we flew to Dulles 4.5 hours delayed with no prior information either at the gate or screen board. All flights around us were being cancelled. Appalling lack of customer service at Air Canada's hub - Toronto Pearson. We landed at Dulles at 1.30am as the last flight into IAD. Will never fly again but wonder what better choices exist on the North American continent.
AircraftCRJ9
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteToronto to Washington Dulles
Date FlownNovember 2017

"however luggage has not arrived"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Medellin via Panama City with last sector by Copa Airlines. Flight originally planned from Toronto to Bogota and Medellin, changed by the airline to itinerary that doesn’t get me to the destination. After long discussions diverted to a flight via Panama City. Business trip however luggage has not arrived (4 days after trip still no known whereabouts). Customer service difficult to reach and frankly useless. Like listening to recorded message. Apparently luggage is still in Toronto, no acceptance of responsibility or offer to solve the issue
RouteToronto to Medellin via Panama City
Date FlownNovember 2017

"forced to pay for selecting a seat"

Trip Verified | Booked Honolulu to Ottawa via Vancouver for December. My complaint is the manner in which Air Canada has increased the price of their fares by offering reduced seat fares through travel web sites (e.g. Expedia) only to underhandedly force the purchaser to pay for selecting a seat either before or during check-in and paying for every piece of luggage. This practice is deceiving and dishonest. I have come to appreciate airlines who are forthright in their pricing practices through travel web sites and have flown many that are completely above board. It is unfortunate that we are serviced by so few airlines in Canada that this type of price gouging is allowed to continue. I will take every opportunity to fly another airline including non-domestic airlines other than fly Air Canada or its discount equivalent Rouge.
RouteHonolulu to Ottawa via Vancouver
Date FlownNovember 2017

"we booked it with a third party"

Trip Verified | The plane was super cramped and no food was offered unless you pay for it, including pretzels. Our return flight was a nightmare. We had to change our return date a day early (same flight route). The AC desk at the Portland airport has selective hours and no one there until 2 hours before the first flight out. So we had to wait 1.5 hours for staff to change the flight. The girl arrived and we were first in line (with a huge line up behind us). Staff said we booked it with a third party so we have to go through them to change anything. We asked if there was still room on the flights we were looking to retuning and she said yes. We asked if she could do anything for us, and if there is anything we can do to get on this flight. She said she can't help us and when we exhibited frustration from waiting over an hour and a half in line for a desk agent she said others are waiting too and you are holding them up! After an hour on the phone trying to change our flights, AC wanted $200 per ticket change fee and the price difference between flights which was over $1,400. No one was willing to do anything for us. This was the worst travel experience we've had with an airline. We will never fly this airline again!
RouteMontreal to Portland via Vancouver