Air Canada

"No one helped us"

Trip Verified | Phoenix to Edmonton. We arrived to PHX airport 2.5 Hours in advance, at the time of check in we were not assigned the seats as per the agent words “seats will be selected at the gate”. When arrived to the gate, no one was there, but when the agent showed up, our flight was delayed and we were assigned seats at the very back of the plane. Seats do not recline and we have a dog (which doesn’t allow us to check in online), that’s ok, we will deal with it. My husband has back injury and surgery so he has to stand up to stretch, or so we thought, they didn’t allow that either saying that it is The US law not to stand up in the lavatory area as people as walking back and forth to the washroom and this can be a safety threat. Arrived to Calgary late! At the customs they told us to pick up our bags! Wrong! The bags were going all the way through! We are running late for our connecting flight and at the Air Canada counter the Air Canada lady said “Oh no worries the boarding just started, you have plenty of time, you will be ok if you hurry. Here we go, rushing through security, being late because of their delayed flight, and when we arrived to the gate we hear: “Oh sorry guys, you didn’t make the flight, but we have you on the stand by for the next one”. Our bags are gone and we do not even know if we can get on the next flight. No one helped us. Here we go running around simply embarrassed by the way we have been treated since the moment we came up to the Air Canada counter in PHX.
RoutePhoenix to Edmonton

"I missed a connection"

Trip Verified | One of my flights got delayed for 6 hours, so I missed a connection with another airline. I was okay with it, and I proceeded to look for alternative options with the customer service staff. The rebooking agent at the airport told me she could only rebook on a flight itinerary that would take two days to reach my final destination with connecting time up to 10 hours at two different airports, even though there were a lot more options available when I searched online. There were even seats with Air Canada's star alliance partner, but she would not book me with it. She said I needed to call Air Canada help center for more help. The Air Canada connection staff at LHR were the rudest. I approached British airways desk, and they checked me in for a much better connected flight with connections of only 3 hours. Inflight service was a little better. I though the inflight entertainment is okay with a good selection of movies and TV shows, but incomparable to Middle-Eastern and even, European carriers. However, the seat was really small, and tightly packed. The food was insufficient. I don't know how Air Canada became a 4-star carrier.
RouteMontreal to London
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"Very friendly polite crew"

Trip Verified | Flew AC 548 from Vancouver to Newark. Flight on time and arrived early. Very friendly polite crew, clean plane, good experience and with no complaints except the entertainment was very limited.
RouteVictoria to Newark via Vancouver
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"the communication was abysmal"

Trip Verified | Below Standard. Chose to fly Air Canada to avoid LAX. Had been following the flight for some time, so very aware they are constantly late. Our flight was delayed due to weather, that can’t be helped, however the communication was abysmal. In total it was 5 hours, we were lucky to be in the business lounge. You don’t have to be Einstein to figure out how late a flight will be when it has to divert to Sydney to refuel. The ground staff, although pleasant, have no idea. Now to the flight. We have flown middle eastern airlines many times, so, you would reckon AC would be on a par for the price, well, you would be wrong. The food can only be described as sub standard, the service although pleasant, is what you would get in economy. When you pay big money you expect, well, better. No offer to makeup your bed, no champagne before take off, and using a trolley to deliver food. I’ll only say of the gift bag, pathetic.
AircraftDreamliner
RouteMelbourne to Vancouver
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Disorganized, dishonest, disappointing"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Geneva via Montreal. This is by far, the worst airline experience I have ever had and I have flown with many airlines. The flight was delayed not due to weather, no reason was given to passengers, no apologies. Once we reached the transfer location, even our next flight has not left. Air Canada told us we cannot get on due to the delay (but we saw the plane was still at the gate), so we had to fly the next day. Again, no apologies, customer service was rude and short. They gave us tickets for next day flight, but, we checked online, our flight did not leave until 30 minutes later! We could have enough time to catch our plane! The only reason I could think of is that they sold our seats to standbys. We were highly disappointed. They gave us dinner vouchers, $10 , but didn't tell us that it was too late for any meal. Disorganized, dishonest, disappointing. Will never use this again. Also, LAX to Montreal, 6 hour flight, no food, beverages only once. Flight attendant did not know how to smile or be nice. Avoid!
RouteLos Angeles to Geneva via Montreal
Date FlownAugust 2018

"Excellent airline service"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Vancouver. Excellent airline service, from each and every Air Canada staff member I dealt with. My drivers license expired so I had to wait for my passport to be delivered to the airport. They put me on the next flight without hesitation. I found everyone just so kind and easy to deal with. Smiling and helpful. When I returned home I left my phone on the plane and stopped a random employee who could’ve said if they find it, it will be in the lost in found (or baggage claim) instead he went on the plane to look for it for me. I travelled with Air Canada a few years ago and found the employees seemed unhappy and unhelpful. I’m happy to see the improvement! I will definitely choose Air Canada first next time I fly.
RouteEdmonton to Vancouver
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"state of their customer service"

Trip Verified | Calgary to Ft McMurray. Air Canada in flight services and reliability is typically decent. I fly with them a fair bit. What I am reviewing today is the state of their customer service. Firstly, I should mention that, at the best of time, reaching them to modify a flight requires 20 mins of waiting over the phone unless you have the altitude member number (35K and over I understand). But what I am writing to flag and rant about today is how difficult my last experience trying to obtain a justification of payment has been. The amount that was charged to my card for one of my last flights matches neither the amount I was expecting to pay nor the receipt sent to me. I initially reached the phone line and was sent to www.aircanada.com/en/customercare/ticketreceipt. I explained my request and never received any response other than a no-reply acknowledgment of my request. 6 weeks and 2 additional request (complaints) to the customer service went by. 20 days after my last follow-up, I finally receive a very helpful email that indicates that she is unable to help but that I should contact www.aircanada.com/en/customercare/ticketreceipt. 6 weeks and I am back where I started. Good evidence of a system that means to serve their customers well.
RouteCalgary to Ft McMurray

"chaotic gate experience"

Trip Verified | Brussels to Montreal on Air Canada. Our trip originated in Prague with the first leg operated by Brussels Airlines so upon landing in Brussels we proceeded to the lounge. AC uses Brussels Airlines lounge which was very crowded and had very limited food and drink options. We proceeded to the gate 30 minutes before boarding time and were met with a long queue for passport verification. When I went up to the counter to inquire if there were a separate line for business class passengers the agent simply responded by saying there was only one line and pointed to the back of it. We had somewhere in the neighbourhood of 150 passengers ahead of us and there were only two ground agents performing the checks. After 20 minutes in the line I went up again and asked why they did not have a dedicated line for premium passengers like they do at every other European airport. In a rather sarcastic tone the agent simply said “this is how we do it in Brussels”. We finally got through the line at which time I spotted the AC Concierge and immediately questioned him about the process only to be told that they do have a dedicated line for premium passengers. At this point I was getting quite agitated and asked him why it was not in effect that day. To that he simply said he did not know. We then went into the priority boarding line which was a joke as there had to be 100 people in the line. Finally the agents announced start of boarding but instead called for those in zones 3 and 4 ahead of the priority passengers. At this point the boarding became a free for all and resembled those you would see in third world airports. On board the service was great but the hard product was showing its age. Food was quite tasty but they had no red wine as they simply had not loaded enough on the inbound trip from Montreal. IFE has a reasonable selection and before landing we were served another meal which was also very tasty. Aside from the utterly chaotic gate experience it was a decent experience.
AircraftA330-300
RouteBrussels to Montreal

"no free food"

Trip Verified | Edmonton to Montréal. Old bad quality seats. Limited drinks, no free food on a flight of 4 hours. Staff not very friendly. Service is equal to low cost carries and my suitcase took 50 minutes to arrive.
AircraftAirbus
RouteEdmonton to Montréal
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"baggage has been delayed"

Trip Verified | Atlanta to Paris via Toronto. Third time my baggage has been delayed across 2 trips. It must be a systematic problem they must have. I have never experienced baggage delay ever in my many travels. Out of the 3 times, they only announced it once, meaning for two times I waited at baggage claim for 30 mins believing they had my baggage. Only by looking at the status of the baggage claim am I able to know to go to baggage services. Can't they take be proactive all the time and let people know so that they don't wait at baggage claim? I will not be flying with Air Canada again.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy