Air Canada

"50% of all flights are delayed"

Trip Verified | I have been flying Air Canada Jazz from Portland to Vancouver BC and back for the last 6 years (almost every weekend - except when I fly Alaska instead). I have been trying to fly Alaska more often. My flight is delayed again. Out of all my flights with Air Canada, almost 50% of all flights are delayed. I am wondering why that is. When Alaska has only delayed 10% at most during my 6 years going the same route. I really want Air Canada management to take a hard look at why they cannot be on time more often on the same route that Alaska does. Weather is a problem for all airlines, but it cannot account for a 50% delay record. It is unacceptable for an airline to take passenger's money and not try their best to fulfill their end of the bargain.
AircraftDash-8
RouteVancouver to Portland

"very good experience"

Verified Review | Vancouver - London Heathrow return. Nov 1-13, 2017. Overall, very good experience. Online check-in easy and quick with very easy printing of boarding passes and luggage tags at the airport kiosks. Ground staff professional. The zone boarding process can be confusing as, even though specific zones are called, passengers from other zones tend to get into line prior to being called. Ground staff don't seem to manage this boarding process well and this is not the first trip where I've encountered this issue. Planes were clean and well kept. Onboard staff were professional and efficient. Meals were tasty, which was a vast improvement over my last international trip with AC. Vancouver - London Heathrow included 1 hot meal and a very small breakfast - a slice of gingerbread and a small yogurt. This is not sufficient for a flight almost 10 hours long. London Heathrow - Vancouver included a hot meal, mid flight snack and then a hot fajita about 1.5 hours prior to landing. Frequent drink runs both flights. Overall, onboard service was efficient and well done, but not outstanding. Seats are reasonable but not overly comfortable. Onboard entertainment system worked very well both flights and there was a good variety of TV, movies and music. The only negative comment would be that AC charges for advance seat selection on Tango fares, fares are high enough without adding this extra fee. Will continue to fly Air Canada and recommend this airline.
RouteVancouver to London
Date FlownNovember 2017

"space is extremely cramped"

Verified Review | Flew Philadelphia to Toronto. I would like to begin by pointing out that at the Philadelphia International airport checking for this flight was done by United airlines personnel. Up to this point I have refrained from commenting about United based on the negative press however after experiencing the checking I have to agree with everything that is being reported. The United personnel at Philadelphia Airport were extremely rude. I am a crew member for a cruise line and normally I ask to have my bags tagged "priority", that way they arrive at the final destination, other airlines usually have no problem doing this however the United person at the counter said to me "No". At one point during the conversation I had to ask if she was having a good day and then that sort of made her realize how nasty she was being. As far as the flight I do have to say that we were up in the air for about an hour and there’s really not much to comment other than the fact that I paid for the preferred seating and there is not much difference between that and regular seat. The space is extremely cramped as you will see in the photo I have attached. The flight attendants however were very nice, the plane was clean and the flight went on without any incident. I would definitely recommend this airline but please be aware that the check-in could be done by United and that could ruin your first impression.
AircraftEmbraer 175
RoutePhiladelphia to Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2017

"They still have room for improvement"

Verified Review | Flew Toronto to Copenhagen. On this international flight and first time with Air Canada I have to mention that I am very impressed with the friendliness of the aircrew in general. The aircraft was beautiful and clean however I paid for extra legroom and I found myself next to an emergency door which I had no problem staying on however the seats did not have a movable armrest. I had a row of two for myself but I was not able to move the armrest because it was stationary. The seat also felt kind of narrow. I was served a hot meal, two snacks, plenty of drinks (alcohol beverages included) and a light breakfast. There was no Wi-Fi on this flight and the entertainment selection was mediocre with only a handful of movies and TV shows. I am a big fan of the Boeing 777 because it is spacious, relatively quiet and depending on the airline the amenities can be quite good. Overall I would definitely fly Air Canada again because they were friendly, I felt safe, and they got me to my destination on time. They still have room for improvement when it comes to the entertainment offerings, the comfort of the seat, and please do not have United personnel do your checking at the airport it ruins the first impression.
RouteToronto to Copenhagen

"An uneventful flight"

Verified Review | AC 7711, YYZ-IAH, seat 2A. An uneventful flight which in itself makes it a great flight. I precleared US Customs in Toronto which meant that I could just walk straight out of the aircraft and hop into my car without further delay. The service was quite good and the food was also very enjoyable given that it was an actual hot meal. The IFE system had monitors in the seatbacks which made it easy and functional. Overall a very pleasant experience.
AircraftERJ175
RouteToronto to Houston
Date FlownJuly 2017

"poorly trained check-in supervisors"

Verified Review | Brisbane to San Francisco via Vancouver. What an atrocious check-in experience traveling to the US. Stay away unless you're on a visa waiver, visa, permanent resident or US citizen. The check-in supervisors have zero idea how to deal with anything else and are a combination of poorly trained, arrogant, aggressive and power tripping. Two supervisors were involved and they were both the same. They don't know that other forms of US travel authority exist (a US Advance Parole combo card in this case). They had no idea how to type the Advance Parole combo card into their computer, so just wildly guessed, with one attempt before giving up. The computer then said I wasn't cleared to fly, because they'd typed in garbage data, which they insisted was what was going to happen "because we don't have the authority to override the system". Instead of just saying "I'm not sure how to process this card, let me call someone who can help me" their *first* opening approach is to say "we have to offload you because you don't have a visa or permanent resident card and that's what our systems require". No attempt to solve the problem and understand. Utter aggressive refusal to let me explain what an Advance Parole card is and that I am indeed allowed to fly to the US, you just have to call someone who knows what this card is. Literally I was trying to show them my phone and get them to read a paragraph from a US government website explaining what an Advance Parole combo card was and that it grants travel authority. They refused to read it - "I don't care what that says because we have to do what the computer says and it says to offload you". No matter that the computer only said that because they didn't know how to type this card in! Finally they call US immigration, after about 20 minutes of telling me they are going to offload me and aggression. They keep calling the combo card an "Employment Authorization Document". It has that in big print along the top, and the Advance Parole part in little print along the bottom. I keep trying to explain that it's a 2-in-1 combo card and to read the sentence on the bottom when talking to US immigration. "We know what to say". US Immigration answers, they refuse to read the bottom of the card, calling it an Employment Authorization Document and looking at me smugly. After many minutes on the phone the person on the other end finally asks them what is on the bottom of the card and they read it out with a grimace. About 30 minutes in after countless threats of offloading and one threat of calling airport police "because we don't like you" I am cleared to fly. They don't say a word to me, refuse to look at me. Just pass my passport to a check-in counter worker and say "he's cleared to fly". The in-flight experience was great, a near new Boeing 787. It was all destroyed by those power tripping poorly trained check-in supervisors who shouldn't be anywhere near a customer facing role.
RouteBrisbane to San Francisco via Vancouver

"abhorrent customer service"

Verified Review | Vancouver to Baltimore via Toronto, and my bag went missing. I transferred planes in Toronto. I left Vancouver Oct. 3rd. My bag never showed up in Baltimore. I immediately placed a baggage claim report with an Air Canada representative at the airport (which took over an hour as their were no representatives at the kiosk and no one picked up when I called repeatedly; I had to call the 1-800 customer service hotline to get them to contact a representative at the airport). I was told they'd send my bag through to my hotel where I was staying for work for a week. My bag never turned up; I called and emailed multiple times daily to no avail. I had to purchase all new work clothing, shoes, toiletries etc. It is now more than a month later and I have home in Vancouver. Since then I've travelled on several flights for work and have several more this year. I still do not have an answer from air Canada. It has been like pulling teeth trying to get ahold of anyone that could help. My baggage number is still under "locating" and I have filed claims for "delayed" baggage as you cannot file "lost" status until they tell you it cannot be found. I filled my "delayed" claims the day I arrived home to Vancouver Oct 10th. I have made numerous calls, Facebook posts, instagram posts, twitter posts, and emails to customer service, baggage claims, and whoever else I could find to contact. And I still have ZERO answers on where my bag is, if it will be found, if I will be reimbursed. Or if I will even be reimbursed for the $50 I paid to check the luggage (the money I paid to have someone lose my bag). I have been clear that I understand mistakes happen and it is not the loss of property that has me truly disgruntled (although this is a nightmare when on a business trip). In fact it is the lack of communication and the abhorrent customer service that has left me shocked and upset.
RouteVancouver to Baltimore via Toronto
Date FlownOctober 2017

"would not recommend this airline"

Verified Review | Dallas to Toronto with Air Canada and onward to Vienna with Austrian Airlines. My flight was canceled and it took 7 hours on the phone to rebook my flights. The customer service was very hard to reach and I was on hold for a very long time before I got someone to talk to, and after. I would not recommend this airline.
RouteDallas to Vienna via Toronto

"staff are incapable"

Verified Review | I travel globally at least once a month. I have never experienced this bad service from any airline. Firstly I could not check on online. When I tried to check in at the airport, they did not understand that I am a European resident, with a valid blue card. Took 45 minutes to sort out. Never happened before in my tavels. I felt Air Canada staff were confused as I have a South African passport. Then worst yet, the boarding of the plane! Have never seen anything worse! The zones dont work, people are agressive. The staff are incapable. Really this airline is the worst ever. Avoid!
RouteToronto to Munich
Date FlownNovember 2017

"have staff who don’t know the rules"

Verified Review | Booked to fly Madrid to San Francisco via Toronto. Unless you are an American, European or Canadian do yourself a favor and do not fly Air Canada. They have staff who don’t know the rules and would do everything possible to disrupt your journey. I had a valid ETA to fly through Canada to go to US (final destination) but the staff in Madrid had no idea how the visa works and their solution was to tell me to go to a Canadian consulate because I made the mistake of flying Air Canada.
RouteMadrid to San Francisco via Toronto