Air Canada

"a subject of itinerary change"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Wellington via Sydney. I booked the ticket for my mother to travel Wellington, New Zealand from Vancouver, Canada. I booked in mid-February to travel in April beginning. My mother is old and has limited English. So i want her to travel hassle free for her vacation. The reason I choose air Canada 1) Price wise i can save about 150$ compared to the next cheap flight 2) I don't want to transit at Auckland because she needs to take a bus between international arrival and local departure at Auckland. 3) Air Canada's transit at Sydney only 3 hours and she can clear the bags at Wellington. My mother is Canadian and she doesn't require an ETA or transit visa to Australia if she has less than 8 hours transit. Exactly two days before the travel, we have received an email from Air Canada with a subject of itinerary change. No information inside the email except the itinerary. As per the new itinerary, transit at Sydney become 10 hours from just 3.5 hours. Same day evening we called the Air Canada to seek the reason. The person came to the phone didn't tell the reason. He just says the transit changed. Then we request for accommodation but he refused. Finally, we request the food voucher as a compensation for their possible mistake. He said they can provide that at the airport. ultimately its a useless conversation for us.( Nothing provided at the airport at the end.) Then only we realized my mother required an ETA or transit visa to Australia. Transit visa is free but it could take up to 5 days to get it. So we apply for ETA and luckily we received almost immediately. As per there website, this could take up to 12 hours sometime. We were not happy about Air Canada's behavior. So on the same day, we file a complaint with Air Canada and asked them to reply immediately since the next day my mother was flying. It is now almost 5 days and my mother in New Zealand for 3 days. But no reply from Air Canada until now. Money wise we are not losing anything but this was making us nervous. Unnecessary stress. Especially my mother. 150$ is lots of money. But I think next time I won't worry about even 500$.
RouteVancouver to Wellington via Sydney

"extremely positive experience"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Laguardia. Had an extremely positive experience with Air Canada and their staff. After high winds left us grounded for 8 hours, they accommodated my Party of 4 and helped us all get on another flight together as soon as possible. Due to late arrival at our destination they allowed us to change our flight back to Toronto by a day and had a great conversation with Air Canada staff over phone! Thanks Air Canada!! Cant wait to fly to Spain with you in July!
RouteToronto to Laguardia
Date FlownApril 2018

"paying the price big time"

Trip Verified | I was supposed to be on flight from San Francisco to Calgary. They cancelled flight and said there were no other flights to Calgary for the day, that I had no choice but to fly to Toronto and then back to Calgary. Still stuck in Toronto and have since found out there were two other flights that went to Calgary on schedule. I avoid Air Canada at all costs but was stuck on this trip - paying the price big time.
RouteSan Francisco to Calgary
Date FlownApril 2018

"no compensation for the delay"

Trip Verified | Calgary to Vancouver. It started as a 1:45 min delay then they boarded us and we waited another 30 min waiting for the ramp crew. The incompetence is astounding but it appears to be the norm for Air Canada that rarely in my experience makes a departure on time. Will avoid this airline if possible in the future. Also no compensation for the delay that creates hardship for passengers.
RouteCalgary to Vancouver
Date FlownApril 2018

"irritated with this policy"

Trip Verified | My review is specific to Air Canada's purchasing policy and not my flight experience. I purchased a ticket for my wife and I from Toronto to Calgary for a friend's wedding in June 2017. One of our family members passed away and as a result we needed to cancel our flight. We weren't able to obtain a full refund (due to their policy) which is understandable. I was, given a credit of a fraction of what I paid which I was told on the phone twice by different customer reps that will not expire. A series of family circumstances occurred which prevented my ability to fly. After 1 year, I decided to book a flight only to discover that my credit has expired. I emailed and appealed my case to their retention department and all they gave me was a 15% discount on my next flight. They even had the audacity to say it's out of their "goodwill" that they're offering me 15%. Very irritated with this policy.
RouteToronto to Mexico
Date FlownMay 2017

"staff said the flight was full"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Quebec to Toronto. Booked for 3Apr to Toronto thru Cathay Pacific, to connect CX to Hong Kong at 00:50 4Apr. Arrived early at 11am to send my son for 2pm Westjet flight to Montreal. After checking in my son, we asked AC counter if we could change earlier flight. There were no more seats for 12:20 flight, but could check in for 16:35. However, the staff did not tell us it's a standby boarding pass. When boarding at 16:05, the boarding gate staff said the flight was full, put us on 18:20. If you did not have seat why would you check us in. We could just walk out and spend time outside airport, instead of sitting for nothing for hours inside this small airport. We are still waiting now. Also, we could not buy anything from Quebec airport duty free, because of connecting flight, must buy in Toronto airport. Just wonder how a passenger could have enough time during short transit!
RouteQuebec City to Toronto
Date FlownMarch 2018

"very reluctant to help me"

Trip Verified | London to Havana via Toronto. The flights were fine. The staff were efficient and pleasant on board. However, prior to travel I contacted customer services by email for basic information about whether the airline covers the cost of the Cuban visa card and airport taxes (they do). They were very reluctant to help me. Customer Services actually told me they only deal with customers after flights have taken place! Eventually my travel agent gave me a telephone number to contact the carrier, and I got the information I needed. On the Toronto to Havana flight both ways with Air Canada rouge, no meal was provided, which came as a surprise on a scheduled flight. In Toronto, Air Canada ground staff were very dismissive and unhelpful when we sought information on baggage. Havana check in told us we needed to retrieve bags at Toronto, even though the baggage tag showed check in through to destination. Air Canada staff seemed unable to give clear guidance. Two members of staff told us to reclaim the baggage, but could not tell us what to do when we had reclaimed it. I had great difficulty getting another member of staff to focus on my question: she just wanted to turn away from me. Compared to travel with other national carriers recently, Air Canada was poor.
RouteLondon to Havana via Toronto
Date FlownMarch 2018

"check in all the roller bags"

Trip Verified | Portland to Vancouver. They change planes at the last minute which can cause all sorts of confusion at the gate, they told everyone that their carry on bags will not fit the new plane and they must be checked in. They could just sky check the bags and all would be okay, but they stopped that service also (second flight in two weeks they have done this to me on). They told us because it is a Q400 that they have to check in all the roller bags - this causes all sorts of delays upon arrival into Vancouver and is problematic if you have a connection due to a late inbound AC flight that delayed you to start with! The thing is, the sky check bags end up in the same place as the checked bags. Its just far more convenient for the business traveler to get your bag plane side and run to you connection.
AircraftBombardier Q400
RoutePortland to Vancouver
Date FlownMarch 2018

"Air Canada cancels this flight"

Trip Verified | Pittsburgh to Barbados via Toronto. Air Canada has a regularly scheduled 7am flight from Pittsburgh to Toronto that connects with many flights headed to the Caribbean. In our case, on Feb. 4 we intended to connect with a flight to Barbados, from where we would take a short flight to Union Island in the Grenadines and then a short ferry to Palm Island. Problem is: Air Canada cancels this flight - and not infrequently. On this day, Air Canada cited the reason as lack of crew. Really? You can't schedule adequate crew? And Air Canada didn't tell us it canceled the flight until we were on our way to the airport at 5 a.m. What are we to do then? In our case, we had only one other option, which was to buy a last-minute ticket on JetBlue via Fort Lauderdale for $772. Unfortunately, the flight got us in too late to make the connection to Union Island, which means we had to pay for a hotel in Barbados and repurchase the $285 non-refundable airfare to Union Island -- not to mention forfeit the first night at our final destination. Air Canada doesn't compensate you for the cancellation, other than to refund the original one-way ticket. They gave us coupons worth $300 Canadian. That barely makes up the difference between the original ticket and the Jet Blue ticket. Their comment was "schedules cannot be guaranteed and they do not form part of the contract of travel." That's ridiculous.
RoutePittsburgh to Barbados via Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"great attention from the Cabin Crew"

Trip Verified | As usual, on time service for my flight. I much rather going with Air Canada's professional and business service rather than the "let's be friends" attitude that you get with WestJet. Seats were older, but comfortable. Had great attention from the Cabin Crew throughout the whole flight. Only issue - my headphone jack didn't work very well.
AircraftA321-200