Air Canada

"We tried to file a complaint"

Verified Review | Charlotte to Gander via Toronto. I am one of 6 in our group that have the same complaints. In Charlotte, Air Canada charged us an antler/horn fee of $150 instead of a $50 firearms fee when we checked our guns for a Moose hunting trip to Newfoundland. They tried to tell us since we had rifles that we had to pay an antler/horn fee because they were hunting equipment and they no longer fall in the firearm category. We even got a TSA agent to try help us talk sense into the girls at the bag check but they wouldn't listen. Then we were told our luggage would go direct to Gander but we had to check guns in Toronto thru customs. Every person that we talked to employed by Air Canada gave us a different story concerning our guns and our luggage. In Toronto instead of bringing the guns out to us for an ID check we found them in the baggage claim area that anyone could have picked them up. Then in Toronto customs we saw all our luggage stacked in the corner that we were told would go straight to Gander. Also Toronto customs only had 2 people working the 15 check stations and 40 people were lined up for connecting flights and we barely made ours. We checked our luggage and guns again but when we got to Gander all 9 bags including our guns were lost. We missed a full day of a $4300 hunt waiting on luggage and guns. They didn't make it to the airport until the next evening. Then on the return trip home to Charlotte we were charged the correct firearm fee but we watched a girl throw our gun case on the carousel in Charlotte. Hard enough it hit and bounced almost off and another passenger caught it and placed it back on the carousel. These are very expensive guns and scopes. Also she did not bring the guns to us and check our ID to release them to us as she was supposed to. Anyone could have taken them again. We tried to file a complaint at the airport and talked to her supervisor and he said he would reprimand her as that was uncalled for but that we would have to file an online complaint. Also a brand new luggage bag came back with the handle ripped off. And the flight from Toronto to Charlotte had a problem with the fan that pressurizes the cabin so it was so hot on the plane you couldn't breath. It did get better as we flew but the pilot had to fly at a low altitude according to the flight attendants because of the cabin pressure issue. With the treatment we received from start to finish I wonder how an airlines could exist like this.
RouteCharlotte to Gander via Toronto
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Very nice flight, as usual"

Verified Review | Flew Air Canada from Toronto to Ottawa. Very nice flight, as usual. Bulkhead seats with limited space as usual but still OK. Staff are friendly with a nice attitude. Still surprising that passengers are accepted with baggage that are almost too big to be checked, particularly inside a cabin with limited storage space. Short flight but nice and smooth.
AircraftE90
RouteToronto to Ottawa
Date FlownOctober 2017

"disorganization in regards to baggage"

Verified Review | Vancouver to Victoria. I feel the need to leave a comment here in regards to the disorganization that Air Canada has in regards to baggage. I was delayed and missed our connecting flight home due to customs. I had asked every attendant or working persons that we had dealings with about whether I needed to get my luggage and everyone stressed due not worry about it. And like many would be, I was. I work hard for a living to have nice things, some of those of which I had brought on our trip. There is no system in place and the bag never made it back home. I have been calling into what seems to be a secondary bag check line with zero information as to where it is. I am being told it is still in tracking mode. How is there not a better system with bag tags.
RouteLas Vegas to Victoria via Vancouver
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Everything was okay except the food"

Verified Review | Frankfurt to Ottawa (after flying Lufthansa from Amsterdam to Frankfurt). I have flown this route many times via London but this time Air Canada only gave the option to transit in Frankfurt. Originally I had a good two-hour and a half transit time in Frankfurt but because the Lufthansa plane got delayed in Amsterdam the transit time got less and so I had to kinda rush to get to the gate. Going back to my flight experience, it didn't differ much from my previous ones. Everything was just okay except the food which is always below standards. The Boeing 767-300ER is an excellent plane, however it does feel a bit like it has done its time and I wonder when Air Canada will replace it with the 787 on the Ottawa-Europe routes.
AircraftBoeing 767-300ER
RouteFrankfurt to Ottawa

"Very basic needs met"

Verified Review | Ottawa to Vancouver. Very basic needs met however the airline doesn't care about customer service or high quality service. Very limited leg room and additional legroom costs $40. I was placed on a different flight after having paid for preferred seating on my initial flight due to my knee issues, but after they changed my flight without my consent, they put me in regular seating. Only pop/water available. Everything else is buy onboard on domestic flights.
RouteOttawa to Vancouver

"all quite excellent"

Verified Review | After reading some AC reviews I was doubting our decision to fly AC SFO-FLR via Montreal but they were both great flights. We were traveling on award tix. Focusing on the business segment Montreal to Florence, the seats, bedding, meals, and service were all quite excellent. Crew were competent and friendly; the seats and lie-flat beds comfortable. Our seats across from each other didn't allow for a lot of discourse - I had the left side "single-ish" seat and my husband was center seat oriented toward right side, but as a night flight it worked for us. Were we able to select our own seats we would have taken center-right or one in front of the other.
RouteMontreal to Florence
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"flight was 4 hours delayed"

Verified Review | Toronto to Montreal. My flight was 4 hours delayed, I understand weather plays a factor but there were no updates on the situation, several gate changes and the rudest customer service agent I have encountered at the airport. This was a horrible experience made worse by your staff and I will never fly this airline again.
RouteToronto to Montreal
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"seats are so uncomfortable"

Verified Review | Toronto to Delhi. I flew the Boeing 787-9 on a long 14 hour flight to Delhi. This aircraft is not suitable for long flights. Seat pitch and seats are so uncomfortable that you can barely sleep during flight. Aisles are so narrow that you get bumped by passengers moving back and forth. Service was okay and lack any surprise.
RouteToronto to Delhi
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"you have a very special pilot"

Verified Review | Toronto to Ottawa. The Pilot was flying out to Ottawa and overheard my conversation and distress of having to get to Ottawa General as my husband was in a coma. I was not sure where to go or how to get there and was worried about how long it would take till I was by my husbands side. This pilot came over to me and offered to bring me to the hospital once he landed the plane as he finished his shift and was going home as he lived in Ottawa. I want say thank you as I was overwhelmed and it took some ease and stress off me from the flight knowing I would not have to worry how I would get to the hospital after the flight. He was very humble and offered me assistance if I need anything while I was in Ottawa. I thanked him for his gracious act of kindness and want to ensure that he gets recognized for doing such a good deed. Air Canada you have a very special pilot. Thank you so much.
RouteToronto to Ottawa

"A great round trip"

Verified Review | Indianapolis to Shanghai return via Toronto/Montreal. A great round trip with Air Canada. This was the first time I flew their Montreal to Shanghai route on the Boeing 787. Exceptional service on their international service. I also had a chance to fly Canadian domestic on the YYZ->YUL leg. Even though the flight was short, the flight attendants did their best to distribute snacks/drinks in a short timeframe to a plane of 150 people. The transborder flights operated by Georgian airways were also good. The entertainment system worked without flaw and the seats were comfortable. No delays in any flights.
AircraftBoeing 777 / 787 / A320