WestJet Passenger Reviews and WestJet Customer Trip Reports

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

WestJet Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Merrie Howe    (Canada)

We flew on one of the first flights offered by WestJet to Dublin. The flight from Halifax to St.John's was not bad, but was very basic with hard seats and no legroom. We thought that we would certainly upgrade to a larger plane for the cross Atlantic flight, but we shocked when we got back on to the same plane. The fact that we had to re-book our seats for the second leg of the flight certainly led to the impression that we would not be getting back into the dinky seats that we had just left. It was the most miserable overseas flight I have ever had, and there was no way either of us could get comfortable. Our video screens did not work, and the staff only shrugged. On the return flight we upgraded to the Plus seats, at a cost of 65 Euros each ticket. More legroom, softer (but still narrow) seats and free but dry sandwiches. Free drinks not worth it, since all we wanted was tea and juice. The video screens worked, but I had purchased my own earbuds earlier in order to avoid the overpriced ones offered on the plane. A slight improvement, but not what you would want in an overseas flight. At least we weren't in pain when we landed, unlike the outbound journey. This was our first venture with WestJet. If I have anything to do with it, it will be our last. I shall gladly pay a higher price for more comfortable flight. When will airlines realize that the flight itself is a major part of a holiday experience?

WestJet Customer review :  14 October 2014 by C Fairfax    (Australia)

Flew into Canada and then returned to the US on Westjet. Both flights were delayed which caused us to miss our shuttle connection on arrival and had to wait three hours at the airport for the next one. I was expecting a standard international type flight and was astounded to find that in seat entertainment had to be paid for and that we were given a teensy packet of sesame sticks and drink only. Considering the high cost of the flights something more should have been standard. Each passenger is forced to watch never ending advertisements on the seat screen if you do not pay for entertainment. Given the delay it would have been good for customer relations to allow free entertainment. I will not choose or recommend Westjet to anyone.

WestJet Customer review :  14 October 2014 by D Allen    (USA)

Never flew WestJet but will again. Our flight from Quebec to Toronto to Ft. Myers Florida was great. Staff were friendly, seats comfortable and plane was clean.

WestJet Customer review :  29 September 2014 by P Duende    (Canada)

We went on a one-week vacation to beautiful Samana. Upon arrival to the Ottawa Airport we couldn't check in using my husbands passport due to WestJet making a mistake on his name. A very nice representative helped us at Ottawa airport to check in using my passport. On the flight from Toronto to Samana I ended up in the middle seat besides a drunken passenger who just shut the window blind down and spent the entire trip sleeping and invading my personal space. Those planes are small, so having to fight off your little space with another passenger is draining. My husband, sitting on the alley chair, had half his elbow bumped several times by one of the flight attendants. The plane was smelly, but at least it wasn't visibly dirty this time. In-flight food: Their free offerings were the poorest I've had the displeasure of experiencing: tiny glasses of water/soft drink/coffee and just two 14 grams bags of cookies or sesame sticks for a 4 hours flight. I understand this was supposed to be a value flight but it wasn't the least expensive in the bunch when compared with Air Canada offerings. All the above mentioned would have been forgiven and forgotten had it not been for the nightmarish experience we had on our flight back. As stated, we were among the first to arrive at Samana airport, once there we were given two seats together (window and middle): all nice until we got on the flight. The seats were not reclining and we had not been informed. Once the people in front of us reclined, we realized that it was impossible for us to do the same. My husband called the flight attendant thinking there was a way of reclining but she just said it was not possible in a rushed manner as if we were a nuisance. For four hours we had to sit uncomfortably, with our knees being constantly banged by the hyper kids sitting in front of us and without any possibility of rest. I do believe that if the airline is going to take away a passengers right to a reclining chair/cabin space they should at least offer some kind of compensation, be it in the way of a pillow for their sore-necks or a food voucher. To make things worse, the cabin on the flight back to Toronto was extremely dirty. The smell could be catalogued more as a stench. The cherry on top was that our connection to Ottawa was delayed for 30 minutes or more due to WestJet having a flight from Cancun being delayed also so we ended up missing our bus connection at the airport.

WestJet Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Carlson Bob    (UK)

Took first Westjet flights at end of August and early September 2014 and from many previous reviews expected the worst. First sector was on a new Boeing 737-800 from Toronto to Cayo Coco in Cuba. There was ample room for the shortish flight, service was good and crew were good humoured. Bought wine on board and not over priced for airline. Flight left and landed on time. One week later made return flight this time on Boeing 737 - 700 which was obviously an older plane judging by interior. Again no problem, good crew and flight to |Toronto was punctual. For a no frills airline we had no problems with them.

WestJet Customer review :  18 September 2014 by J Pritchit    (Canada)

(YVR-YYC: Vancouver to Calgary, Boeing 737-700/800) I fly this route for business at least once a month and for me, WestJet has slowly started to go down hill within the last 8 months. I have found the customer service WestJet had in the beginning is not there anymore. I usually take the 10am morning flight out of Vancouver, and have had no issues in the past. My last flight with them was on September 3rd to the 5th, and I was very disappointed. The flight was delayed for more then 2 hours (it happens when you fly a lot, no big deal), but, my problem was that they didn't keep anyone notified on the status of the flight. On the way back it was even worse. My flight back to Vancouver was supposed to depart around 7:50, but we got delayed for a half hour, which turned into 3 hours because of "mechanical" issues. Once again, no WestJet staff were there to answer any questions or give us any info on the flights status. We didn't end up departing until ten to midnight. Too many times this has happened the last few months. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I am going to start using Air Canada, and fly on the less cramped Embraer 175.

WestJet Customer review :  11 September 2014 by A Suleman    (Canada)

My sister took the 10.10pm, WJ412 flight on Aug 26 from YVR and her flight was delayed 35 mins. Next day, my other sister and I took WJ412 at 10.10pm from YVR and again, the flight was delayed half an hour. All three of us returned from YEG on Aug 31 on the 4.05pm, WJ109 flight - delayed (again) - over 45 mins! We will never fly Westjet again. Part of the delay on Aug 31 was that someone was sitting in our seats - same seat# on Boarding Pass - turns out they had been on the previous flight and no-one bothered to check that they had the next (5pm) connecting flight to YVR and should have got off the plane! They didn't speak much English so it took 15 mins just to get them (4 people) off.

WestJet Customer review :  11 September 2014 by Jessie Foley    (Canada)

On Tuesday, Sept 2, 2014, I took the early WestJet flight to Vancouver for work. The plane was very empty but my row, Row 4, was full. Once the plane was up in the air and the seat belt signed turned off, I moved forward one to row - Row 3 which is a plus row and was completely empty - all six seats. I didn't think there was any chance of picking up more passenger planning to sit in these seats unless they were waiting for us on a cloud somewhere. The Flight Attendant told me that although the row was completely empty, I couldn't sit there and needed to find a vacant row at the rear of the plane. I realize there are rules and they need to be enforced but I also think there are times to apply the rules and times to realize there really is no point.

WestJet Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Hunt Mike    (Canada)

Every week, from Victoria to Calgary, sick of full flights, when they leave late there is no explanation, its always a mad rush to get on because they never adhere to rules of boarding by row's. They also never adhere to baggage size, anyone can take any size bag and just take up all the room by putting it sideways in the overhead. Fed up seeing the long faces of the staff with the occasional false smile, not all their fault because the company is always trying to squeeze every cent of profit. Have travelled with Air Canada on same route, they are even worse. Look forward to the day when another company enters the route. The small seats and no leg room are another annoyance, looking forward to when the other competition gets in on this route, all it takes is another company who are not trying to squeeze quite as much profit, not a big ask.

WestJet Customer review :  29 August 2014 by G Butters    (Canada)

WestJet flight 543, Thursday August 21st, delayed 2 hours. No pre contact to customers, check-in employees said they knew of the delay 6 hours before flight time. WestJet had all of our contact info, email, cell phone, etc. No hardship compensation provided nor offered.

WestJet Customer review :  29 August 2014 by V Vogt    (Canada)

We were in Honolulu when hurricane Iselle arrived so our flight was cancelled due to high winds. I discovered the cancellation by checking online and made subsequent arrangements for a later flight. WJ arranged for an unscheduled, earlier flight home so I rebooked on that one. Aside from the usual airport confusion and lack of clear direction, we got on our flight ok. I guess the attendant crew were annoyed at having to work, they were obviously unhappy and let it show in their cranky demeanor while they performed their "service".

WestJet Customer review :  29 August 2014 by T Dafoe    (Canada)

I had a horrible flight from Hamilton to Calgary, I was seated beside a women who had to have weighed at least 350-400 lbs. She took her seat and half of mine, she also refused to allow the arm rest to be put down. I flew all the way squashed into the corner of my seat, I could not move. I discreetly asked to be moved to another seat, however none were available. At no time did the attendants acknowledge that I was being forcefully wedged into the other armrest, even when I was unable to accept a cup of tea as I could not use my arms.

WestJet Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Daren Ure    (Canada)

Really disappointed on my recent trip, Edmonton to Las Vegas! There were no television screens in the seat backs nor any tablets available to rent. No entertainment was provided whatsoever. Apparently Westjet is moving to this business model of making tablets available to rent for $5 each, but only on flights of 3 hr + 20 min or longer. Edmonton to Las Vegas is 3 hr. Passengers weren't informed of this condition until 10 minutes prior to boarding! At the very least, Westjet should have posted notice of this "discount service" flight online prior to our booking and reduced the price accordingly. Even the smiling, joking flight attendants couldn't make up for Westjet's poor judgement. If and when portable tablets are made available for rent, here again is another nickle-and-dime scheme from a once reputable airline. New discount airlines can't come soon enough, because that's the level of service that we received at Westjet's full-service prices.

WestJet Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Linda Ambrose    (Canada)

It was a gruelling long flight from Vancouver to Toronto, flight was full and of course no TV, movies or music whatsoever. The excuse was, its a new aircraft and could not accommodate the system but it was okay to buy the mini screen for your seat, at $5 a pop. This should all be included. Price gouging again from WestJet, and super- sizing. The staff were friendly bordering on condescending, when we all asked to take our seats for most of the flight. 5 hrs is a long time when your fed drinks and food and then told to take a seat since you were not allowed to use the restroom.

WestJet Customer review :  21 August 2014 by R Paterson    (USA)

JFK-YYC return. Check in was very frustrating, as the system would not allow me to check in via phone, online or on the mobile app, thus I wasn't able to select a seat until I got to the airport. Even arriving 2 hours early, reps told me only middle seats were left - trouble for me as I'm a 6'3" guy. They cheerfully told me I could "upgrade" to a Plus middle seat for $42. This didn't seem any bigger or more legroom than normal but at least food (which was tasty) was free. Otherwise, trip to YYC was in a clean, well maintained B737-700 and crew was friendly. Return check-in online worked fine, paid $42 to sit in 1F by the bulkhead as I thought it would be a lot more legroom. My mistake. A horrible seat. Crew on this leg were into making lots of jokes on the PA but when it came to service I found them a bit detached. Overall, I took this flight because it was direct to Calgary but at almost $800 all in for the ticket and upgrades, I'd hardly call it a low-cost carrier. Having satellite TV on the IFE helped, though, so I guess I'd fly them again for much, much cheaper.

WestJet Customer review :  16 August 2014 by D Brander    (Canada)

Calgary to Vancouver. The staff were overly familiar, and I didn't feel they approached their job with the seriousness it warrants. I didn't feel that in the event of an emergency that we were in competent hands. Plane was a Boeing 737 and because of the way the seats are built, you only get an airline standard under seat stowage if you get a window seat. If you aren't one of the first on the plane, you may not find stowage in the overhead bins either. I also found the seats were lacking in leg room, and they seemed to be too short and didn't provide enough support under the legs. By the end of the 90 minute flight, my legs were cramping. Inflight entertainment system was satellite TV and PPV movies. Complementary non alcoholic bevs, and alcohol and food available for purchase.

WestJet Customer review :  16 August 2014 by C McGinn    (Canada)

I write this review from YQR, one of the smaller airports in Canada. I further write this as one who travels frequently for both work and personal on this occasion with my husband and 2 children. We arrived at the cut off time for a 5.50 am flight. We were channelled into a line up for manual check-in. Note: for some reason, I didn't receive the usual check-in notice 24 hours in advance to do online. I tried to do so, but it wasn't allowing. We wait in line for manual check-in with one attendant. She continued to help one family for 20 mins (from the time we arrived). They appeared to be moving their lives from A to B. If we were earlier, given the circumstance, we still would have been notably late for check-in. No other attendant came over to help check people in. Meanwhile several people missed their flight to Calgary. Remember, this is Regina, SK. Finally our turn, I learn that between 11-13 people per flight are randomly selected for manual check in, and unable to do e-check-in. Odds are that 1 in our family of 4 was randomly selected, which resulted in our inability to e-check-in. OK, we accept missing the flight with the script from the attendant, "there is nothing we can do." We later find out that a person who was quite far behind us was accommodated and put on the flight. We had breakfast with the family as we wait 4 hours in Regina to catch a different flight. Long story short: rude service upon initial arrival at airport, short staffed at manual check-in, no responsiveness from walker by attendants to help our family shuffle along while others appeared to be moved along, others behind us accommodated. We received the text book verbiage from the attendant and was one of the more phoney/unauthentic explanations I've received. Disappointed beyond words and will do everything to not fly with WestJet. They apparently pride themselves on customer service. This was everything but customer service.

WestJet Customer review :  16 August 2014 by B Grove-White    (Canada)

Never flying WestJest again. Made it from Toronto to Vancouver fine, but connecting flight to Victoria was cancelled due to 'maintenance' issues. WestJet refused to rebook us on an Air Canada flight and worse, were out of hotel vouchers in Vancouver so gave us the non-option of flying to Calgary to stay in a hotel for approximately 6 hrs of sleep or leave us on our own to find our own accommodations. Not impressed.

WestJet Customer review :  8 August 2014 by Fairfex Dennis    (Canada)

I have been travelling on Westjet for many years now and the definite drop in service, reliability and quality is astounding. My last four flights have been delayed with no reasonable explanation as to why (No I am not exaggerating). Yesterday, my flight out of Victoria was delayed. When I asked the agent at the counter in Victoria why my last three flights were delayed she was very sarcastic and said I guess you are just unlucky” and turned to chat with another agent! To me, that was just an example of Westjets decline in customer service. Imagine my surprise when my connecting flight in Vancouver was also delayed. But it gets better, once on the aircraft, my seat was full of crumbs, the tray was stained with coffee (I paid the 30 dollars for the plus seat) and the entertainment system did not work.

WestJet Customer review :  8 August 2014 by Kevin Johnson    (Canada)

Flew from Prince George to Vancouver on the 737-700. Great smooth flight, staff were very friendly and helpful. At 6'2", the seats were adequate. Entertainment was good, snacks were good. Would definitely fly again.

WestJet Customer review :  26 July 2014 by Ben Anderson    (Canada)

Flight 146, Victoria to Toronto. Arrived at the airport 35 minutes before my flight. I was told by the customer agent that I had missed the "closure" time of the flight (didn't know it was 45 minutes) and he put me in a separate line to be re-accommodated. All very polite and no problem. My line was getting bigger. I counted 12 people, then 17! Eventually, I was re-booked via Calgary. My concern is that I found the cut-off times deep in Westjets website. Please make this info more visible or even on the Ticket.

WestJet Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Elizabeth Poole    (USA)

I booked with Delta to go to Vancouver from NYC and back. Was rerouted to Westjet both trips and was more than happy with Westjet service. Admittedly in-flight entertainment system left a lot to be desired but in reality, who really enjoys watching movies on tiny screens? The main thing to me is that all 4 legs of the trip were on time, the seats were comfortable - okay at only 5 foot tall I don't really need a lot of leg room - the staff were courteous and pleasant and the luggage was delivered intact and speedily. Considering these were short-haul trips, Westjet is as good as other airline and even better at keeping to schedules. Another plus is the helpfulness of the ground staff - they were so friendly and approachable. All in all a good experience.

WestJet Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Lou Hankins    (Canada)

Booked a WestJet Vacations package from Toronto to LaGuardia (New York) and paid extra to leave earlier in the day (12.25) on July 2, so we would have more time in NYC. After sitting on the runway for more than 1.5 hours, they informed us that no flights were landing in NYC due to Hurricane Arthur, we were returned to the gate and told to ask the attendant to move us to another flight. Since the attendant had no idea what was going on she told us to go to the main gate where we waited in line for an hour only to be told that the flight was delayed until 18.40. Later in the afternoon they told us that the flight was delayed further to 20.10. 3 flights worth of passengers were held in the waiting area and no one was offered water or a food voucher. Our flight was finally cancelled at 21.00 and without any shame WestJet handed out business cards with a number to call to rearrange our flights. The line was busy for at least an hour so we left the airport and were left to find our own accommodation for the evening in Toronto. We called WestJet Vacations and were offered the same flight the next day and with the only compensation being that they would arrange to have my friend and I in adjacent seats without a charge. The flight the next day was delayed one hour and there was no TV service available. WestJet made no such effort to do the same. On the return flight, we were delayed 1 hour and 5 minutes and again there was no TV service until mid- flight. No recommendation is given based on the non-chalant and casual way that WestJet handled the entire delay on both legs and the colossal mix up with the hotel reservations.

WestJet Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Colquhoun Alexandra    (Canada)

I pre-ordered my snack ahead of flight and online, the snack with cheese, cold cuts, olives, apricots and very thin bread slices did not resemble what was online. I was not happy. The flight attendants did not come around with coffee or tea after we ate, and they certainly had time to do so! Not impressed with this flight on #674 departing Calgary at 5.15 pm and headed to Toronto last Thursday. Sure hope the trip home is better.

WestJet Customer review :  14 July 2014 by L Shulman    (Canada)

We flew WJ for the first time in May 2014. I had booked a round-trip between Montreal and Fort Lauderdale. Our Plus seats 2 E/F for the first leg, and 3 A/B on the way back.  On the way to FLL, the entertainment system in our row did not work at all. We did not make an issue of this because neither one of us were going to use it. At 6’3, the seats offer enough room for me to not cramp up, but a standard emergency exit offers more. There is no extra shoulder room in these seats. The attendants were and the food/drink was fine. The flight was uneventful. On the way back to Montreal, our entertainment system did not initially work, and I upset this time because I wanted to watch a movie. I was offered the option to move seats, but the system came on and all was well after that. Everything else was the same as the other flight. Given the choice between economy on any or WJ plus, I will take the plus for the $40 upcharge.

WestJet Customer review :  9 July 2014 by Daman Malone    (Canada)

My wife and I traveled from YYC to YYZ on a trip to house hunt and visit friends. First issue was the flight out, we had a 20 minute delay due to issues with the plane, of course I'm glad they noticed the fuel leak before taking off but at least they could have done something to keep the over heated, boring wait a little more enjoyable like hand out free headsets. I'm sure the $1200 for the return flight should cover a $3 (Cost price) headset, also on the first flight the TV was jacked and flickering so watching any channel was a waste of time. Flight was "Sold out" so I could not change seats. Second issue was on the return flight. Is it ok for a father to encourage their child to scream and shout? I along with everyone in the 6 row radius heard these screaming kids, after explaining to the father, I don't want to hear your stories I just want a quiet flight back to YYC. I spoke to the stewardess and she just laughed and explained that she couldn't do anything. This was so bad and I had been told by friends who flew WestJet that there not good, but I like to judge myself - judgement made.

WestJet Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Richardson Maria    (Canada)

We took our first flight with WestJet this year, from Toronto to Vancouver and back. On the way to Vancouver, we had plus seats. Well, that was ok for me as I'm not a very big person, however it was not much of a *plus* for my husband who is not as small as I am. However, on our return trip, we arrived at the airport and found our trip had been cancelled. The reason, "due to a fire drill at the hotel our crew was at they did not acquire the proper amount of sleep". Keep in mind our flight out of Vancouver was for 3.50pm. They were unable to put us on any other flight, and set us to fly out of Vancouver at 10.45pm, and not arriving in Toronto until 6.07am the following day. We were given two vouchers from WestJet for $30 each to make up for the inconvenience of our journey. We will never fly WestJet again.

WestJet Customer review :  7 July 2014 by D Collard    (Canada)

Victoria-Toronto-Halifax (21/5/2014) and return (27/5/2014). About eight hours overall travel time each way, all four legs with B737-700 aircraft. Flights on time, luggage delivered promptly, cheerful and hard-working FAs throughout, making several water runs. The only negative aspect of WestJet is the lame, unprofessional attempt to inject humour into the in-flight announcements. AV doesn't offer much, but that doesn't matter because I always bring my own reading material. Didn't purchase on-board food items. (As most Canadians do for domestic flights, I bought things from a sandwich counter near the departure gate just before boarding.) I used to take transcontinental trips of this kind with Air Canada, but more and more AC flights are being downgraded to the AC Rouge division. With WestJet you don't run that risk, and WestJet's fares are no higher.

WestJet Customer review :  7 July 2014 by John Frewen-Lord    (UK)

Flew YOW to YYZ on 1st July, my first flight on WestJet. Wild takeoff, seems we hit 35000 feet in half the normal time. Small snack, but it was a 40 min flight, and I wasn't expecting anything. The two flight attendants were a bit childish in their demeanour, but otherwise friendly and professional. Nothing here to stop me flying WestJet again on my next visit to Canada.

WestJet Customer review :  4 July 2014 by Gilbert Flora    (UK)

17th June 2014 at 16.50, flight WS533, Halifax to Hamilton. Flew from Halifax NS to Hamilton on the 17th June and pilot was able to land in the storm where a Tornado hit Barrie earlier. He had to abort the first try and it was very scary. Commendation to the pilot and crew very professional all passengers breathed a sigh of relief and clapped when we got down in one piece. Would recommend this airline.

WestJet Customer review :  19 June 2014 by K McBurnie    (Canada)

Pearson - LaGuardia: Waited 7 hours at LaGuardia after first flight was cancelled with absolutely no information from Westjet. The staff (frustrated with customers) turn the TV off, and walked away from the gate. It would have been nice to have been given information about something like the AA and other flights at the other gates in the area. The staff were also very unfriendly anytime approached.

WestJet Customer review :  17 June 2014 by M Kroeker    (Canada)

Recently traveled YWG-LAS via YYC. Flights left on time and overall flight was ok. I have to say, the joking manner in which the flight attendants have is something to be desired. Why can't they just act professionally and be friendly? I was seated in the Plus section, extra leg room is nice, free liquor and snacks but seat width or pitch is no more. I traveled the last leg in a standard seat and I must say it's not too pleasant. Overall was satisfied but would take the competition over WJ any day.

WestJet Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Sam Jenny    (Canada)

Sitting in YVR waiting for flight 245 to YYC. Flight has been delayed for over 2 hours due to "technical difficulties" with the plane. So how did they apologize for the inconvenience? A $10 meal voucher. There are at least 2 other Westjet flights departing for Calgary before our rescheduled flight time, however the airline is refusing to transfer any of the passengers to other flights because "it would take too much time to re-tag luggage". Westjet used to be a fabulous airline years ago, however their quality of service, in-flight entertainment, and in-flight comfort have declined considerably. Air Canada is much better.

WestJet Customer review :  11 June 2014 by D Wolters    (Australia)

YVR-YYZ-LGA. Really enjoyed flying with Westjet on both flights. Great friendly service, nice complimentary snacks. On time departures and arrivals. Would not hesitate to fly again.

WestJet Customer review :  11 June 2014 by Eric Lund    (Canada)

HNL to YVR, flight # 1865, departing 10.18 pm, June 5th. I hurt my leg and could hardly walk. I had trouble bending my leg. When checking in, I asked if there were any empty seats. I was told there were 9. I asked if I could please be seated in a row with an empty seat so I could be in less pain, I was told yes and got my boarding pass. When I got to my seat I found my row full and I was crammed in where I could not use my cane and I was in pain. I asked the stewardess if she could help find me a better place to sit. She told me that although there were empty seats throughout the plane, there was nothing she could do for me. I spent the next 6 hours in agony. This is the first time I had ever requested this kind of consideration and I am extremely upset that no effort was made to help me. This flight crew seemed tired and in a hurry to have the flight over with. I have been a frequent flyer with Westjet I am going to find another carrier. I do not think I will fly with Westjet again.

WestJet Customer review :  9 June 2014 by F Joash    (Canada)

Flew Vancouver-Edmonton and return. Flights left on time, or within 15 minutes of scheduled departure time. Flight attendants were pleasant. Seats were comfortable enough for 1.5 hour flight, although they could be better. Did not appreciate the need to pay to watch movies. Bring your own earphones to access the inflight entertainment. Return trip from Edmonton-Vancouver was in Economy plus. The extra inches of legroom are worth it, and one gets complimentary alcoholic beverages and snacks. Westjet is good, but cannot compare with the 5 star Asian airlines, or even the 4 star European carriers.

WestJet Customer review :  9 June 2014 by R Lauria    (Canada)

Calgary to Montreal return trip - My wife and I paid extra for their new Plus class seats. While the extra legroom and priority boarding was good, the seats were no wider and you were still cheek to cheek with other passengers. Out of Calgary, some yahoos thought it was party time, which didn't let up for the whole flight. Out of Montreal, someone else with no regard for others put his seat back as soon as he got on the plane and left it there the entire flight. The staff always try their best, but the Plus seats leave a lot to be desired as well as some of the passengers. The drinks were free but if you don't drink you may not get the full value of this seating.

WestJet Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Martin Salvidar    (Canada)

The lack of inflight entertainment is rather a joke. 3 flights within a week 1 flight none of the TV's worked and then 2 flights and no TV's. There are advertisements for tablets for rental but "oh, they forgot to load them this morning" is the excuse given each time. I specifically prefer Westjet for the TV's in the back of the seats but seems they are taking these away to force you to purchase tablets. For years I felt they were the best and would only fly Westjet, but I guess its time to begin shopping around.

WestJet Customer review :  29 May 2014 by Attersley John    (Canada)

From Halifax to St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, on 24 May. Check-in staff very pleasant, gate staff good and onboard staff very pleasant. The flight was on time and as expected. Return to Halifax on 28 May. Again, all was on time with pleasant staff. Would fly Westjet again no hesitation, good value.

WestJet Customer review :  20 May 2014 by K Oben    (Canada)

Toronto - Puerto Plata return on Boeing 737-800. The crew were pleasant, TV on the first flight worked good. Not the best picture on the return flight though. The cart came twice out for drinks, snacks etc. We have flown this airline before and will continue to fly them in the future.

WestJet Customer review :  18 May 2014 by F Florenzo    (Austria)

Toronto to Las Vegas on Boeing 738 aircraft. Check in and boarding uneventful. Cabin crew member in charge made no effort to greet passengers upon entering, interior of the plane clean but worn. Inseat screens with poor quality and cannot be switched off. Two rounds of drinks and food for purchase. Crew appearance lacks professionalism. No farewell as crew already stuck with their heads between the seat rows cleaning the seat pockets. Checked Baggage arrived within time the belt and was free of charge. Would fly again but bring your own snacks, pillow and blanket.

WestJet Customer review :  13 May 2014 by L Simeon    (Canada)

One-hour flight from New York, LaGuardia, to Toronto took 25 hours! Endless delays and cancellations. Every hour, they kept telling us that our flight was going to be delayed until finally at midnight they cancelled our flight for good. They put us up for the night. But then our rescheduled flight the next morning was cancelled. Absolutely, this was a nightmare.

WestJet Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Tony Giantomaso    (Canada)

Kelowna to Calgary flight was the most affordable rate. Air Canada was 100$ more for some reason. I liked the price but the flight was still very uncomfortable for anyone as tall as me, 6 ft 1 and I had a premium upgrade. Service was just OK. Once again no TV's or entertainment that worked on this flight.

WestJet Customer review :  11 May 2014 by B McLeod    (Canada)

Beware the Q400 turbo prop! Although they were touted as being for low demand small market use, you will get stuck on them on main routes. If you pay for a Plus fare, you get ripped off, as there are no plus fares seats on these planes. Everyone gets the same hard as rock, tight and vibrating seats with lots of noise! And you get to enjoy all that discomfort for longer because they are slow! If it is winter, the Plus fare gives you the extra joy of being the first people to board and then freeze your butt off, because these planes board from the runway. So you are sitting near the door with the cold wind whipping in.

WestJet Customer review :  7 May 2014 by Maria Parson    (Trinidad)

My flight was from POS to YYZ (round trip). I must say I will recommend this airline. My fights to and from were smooth and no problems were experienced. The staff were beyond helpful, also their interaction with the passengers onboard was excellent! The check in counter staff are also more than pleasant! The inflight entertainment is perfect as their are individual screens where there are about 5 different channels all showing different movies! This is brilliant as you can choose which movie you prefer and when its done you can just switch to another channel for another movie (my flight was about 5.5 hours!). One thing I was disappointed in was the snacks even though they were served twice it was such a small quantity! Despite that I give WestJet the thumbs up!

WestJet Customer review :  4 May 2014 by G Cochrane    (Canada)

Toronto to Las Vegas with family and a lost passport. Staff were sympathetic, helpful, and did all they could. Checking bags, second person noted discrepancy in check-in and corrected. Some jokes by onboard staff were corny but they all have good attitude and they smile and try to please. As an AC refugee, I go out of my way to choose WestJet.

WestJet Customer review :  2 May 2014 by A Nanji    (Canada)

Flight from YYZ to YQB was re-directed back to YYZ with only vague explanation about poor conditions (no mention about this prior to leaving Toronto, first time we were told was 15 minutes before our expected arrival time in Quebec). I can completely understand that poor weather conditions are not Westjet's fault. However, during the same period of time, 2 Air Canada flights successfully landed at YQB (one from YUL and another from YYZ), with yet another leaving YYZ for YQB at the time as our plane arrived back in Toronto. Instead of refuelling and heading back to YQB, flight was cancelled and we were left to fly the following day, delaying arrival by 14 hours for a 1 hour flight. It is clear Westjet does not have the capacity to deal with extenuating circumstances leaving their customers out of luck.

WestJet Customer review :  30 April 2014 by C Dirks    (Canada)

Generally satisfied with this airline. Missed my flight (my fault) from Hawaii and change fee was reasonable In Vancouver staff did utmost to try to accommodate a satisfactory connection to Winnipeg. It seems that this airline actually cares about it's customers.

WestJet Customer review :  25 April 2014 by C Johnson    (Canada)

I just booked a trip from Winnipeg to Las Vegas. The departure and return times are ridiculous, that is if you want a direct flight. The departure time is at 21.50 while the return time is at 00.30. Not wanting to return at that time, I arranged to switch times and take a later flight in return only to discover that any later flights required a stop over which adds hours onto your travel time. Meanwhile there are more than one direct flight to other cities. Calgary springs to mind where there is one trip at 08.00 and the next around 10.00 or 11.00. A few years ago when I returned from Mexico again, having to stop in Calgary many of our companions were immediately able to get on connecting flights while those going to Winnipeg had to wait until the next day which added to our costs. I am beginning to think WestJet has something against Winnipeg, because after having to pay $266 for a return flight at a more reasonable time with now a stop in Calgary, I am not liking WestJet so much.

WestJet Customer review :  23 April 2014 by T Donaghy    (Canada)

Flew Calgary-Kamloops return. Paid full price to ride in a tiny airplane called a Q400. It arrived late, left late, and parked way out on the tarmac, in -20c with a wind. No room for Canadians wearing winter clothes, nor their luggage. Just booked Westjet to Vegas return - they did not allow the booking agent to seat my wife and I together, we were in middle seats, different rows. I made this booking a month ago - to change seats is $90. Air Canada does allow spouses booking at the same time to sit together, no charge. Westjet has lost its way. My expectations of better service are gone.

WestJet Customer review :  4 April 2014 by Gillian Fox    (Canada)

Traveled on a Westjet flight back from Antigua on March 30 2014. Once again I was seated next to a passenger that clearly did not fit into their seat. 5 hours of leaning towards the opposite side of my seat as most of the person body is still pressed up against me. I am really tired of this and I feel the airline needs to do something to change how their seats are or how they sell their seats. It may not be fair to the oversized passenger but what about me. The person who paid for a seat but can't sit in it!

WestJet Customer review :  4 April 2014 by Shannon Valoma    (Canada)

My husband flies 4 times a month from Edmonton to Vancouver and Westjet is always late so he always chooses AC but now we are moving and the only direct option is Westjet. Today was his first flight with this airline in ages and it's already 45 minutes late. I'm really hoping a new carrier comes in locally.

WestJet Customer review :  1 April 2014 by Van Veen Frank    (Canada)

We traveled from YYZ to SXM on Feb 23/14 and as usual the crew did an excellent job. Smooth flight and on time both ways. Keep up the great service and please start flying YYZ to anywhere in the EU. We'll take it from there.

WestJet Customer review :  22 March 2014 by J Lane    (Canada)

I have traveled Westjet since it first started flying in 2006. I have always been proud to fly this Calgary based Airline in Canada. I fly frequently, 5-6 times a year, and it was on a flight from Calgary-Toronto that I was bumped into Plus Seats, which was great. However, on my return flight from Ottawa a week later I was back in economy seating, as I had purchased economy for both inbound and outbound, but, when I sat down I had to squeeze myself into the seat. This has never been a problem before and I was sitting at the bulkhead on the 737-6, so I requested to move from a flight attendant. I am 6'4", so flights have always been a little tight, but this was like nothing I have experienced. The flight attendant accommodated my request to the seats in front of the exit row that don't recline. Same problem when the person in front of me put their seat back. I again requested to move into and the only seats available were in the exit row mid-cabin, which was empty, but I was told I couldn't sit there as they were Plus Fare seats. I was shocked! I can't help being tall, and had I known I would have purchased a plus fare in Ottawa. The flight attendant did not allow me to sit anywhere else and it was by far the worst flight I have been on. I contacted Westjet with my disappointment and received a standard auto-generated letter back. If you are over 6ft tall and/or have legs longer than 32inches, BUY PLUS FARE. I however will be flying another Canadian Airline (AC) from now on as their seat pitch is what Westjet's used to be in economy and are no extra charge. Big mistake.

WestJet Customer review :  21 March 2014 by Skakun Gord    (USA)

I am not a frequent flyer but do fly 2/3 times a year, I always use WestJet. On a recent flight back from Toronto I upgraded my seat to the first row, when I got up to leave the aircraft, looking back at the seats behind me i noticed a bunch of people that had adjustable head supports on their seats. When I checked mine it also had this. Every flight they spend time talking about all the safety features, how about letting people know about the comfort features like adjustable head rest's, and foot rests under the seat in front and how to select entertainment. That would make WestJet stand out even more in customer service.

WestJet Customer review :  18 March 2014 by Vince Brown    (Canada)

The staff were great and the overall cleanliness of the plane good. The flights were on time but the coach seats not have no leg room as they have reduced it to add economy plus seating. Not sure if this was the right move for this airline, not comfortable at all. Meal offering on board very limited and channel/movies limited.

WestJet Customer review :  17 March 2014 by A Lever    (Canada)

Return flight, March 12th, flight 1119 from Las Vegas to Toronto. Then supposed to be on Flight 358 from Toronto to Ottawa at 8am, but ended up on a 2pm flight to Ottawa instead. Terrible experience. Our first flight was delayed 2.5 hours so before we even left we knew we'd miss our connection. The rep told us not to book the next flight as they would hold the plane for us as there were many in the same boat. They didn't. We got stuck waiting another 5 hours even though there were many other carriers with flights they could have put us on. We were told to go to customer service to be first in line for standby. We did, and they told us to check back every 15 minutes. We did. There ended up being 2 spots on an earlier flight that they gave to someone who happened to just walk up to the gate. When we asked why we didn't get those seats, we were told nobody told them we were waiting. We were told lie after lie by 4 different reps. Will not fly WestJet again!

WestJet Customer review :  14 March 2014 by Mary Gomke    (Canada)

Outbound to Palm Springs from Calgary was #1468 on Feb 26/14 and return from Palm Springs to Calgary on March 11/14 was flight #1469. My parents just got back from Palm Springs and they as well as myself were so impressed with WestJet! My father who required a wheelchair had help from the moment the plane landed right to when their luggage arrived. The flight attendant wheeled him through to customs, the baggage area, helped them with their luggage and even brought it out to the concourse area. My parents would not be able to travel on their own without this kind of help.

WestJet Customer review :  13 March 2014 by Doucette Grasby Angela    (Canada)

Outbound to Las Vegas, March 7th and return to Toronto, March 10. The only complaint I can think of is the rude passengers who recline their seats! They should really think about how much space you are taking away from the person behind you! It makes it difficult for them to eat or work on their computer. Had one delay and it wasn't WestJets fault. My husband and I choose to pay $300 more for our trip in February just to get WestJet as our airline and would do it again! For the people who don't get the wagon with the drinks as often as you like there is a button up where the lights are just press it and I'm sure the staff would be more than happy to serve. I will be continuing to use this service!

WestJet Customer review :  10 March 2014 by Sturgeon Dan    (Canada)

Toronto Person, flight 2742 to Liberia, Costa Rica. Flight delayed over an hour. Return, Liberia, Costa Rica, flight 2743 to Toronto, first thing in the morning I log on to WestJet website to check the flight status, flight not found. Went to the airport and told that flight 2743 is now flight 4343. We board the plane and flight attendants inform everyone we are going to Mexico. WestJet changed the flight number from 2743 to 4343 but they did not import the passengers’ data from 2743 into 4343. Now you have passengers who paid for seat selection and Plus services and they are not getting what they paid for. I need an aisle seat for a medical issue and I need to get up a move around. Instead of getting an aisle seat I found myself in the middle seat.

WestJet Customer review :  10 March 2014 by Anthony Maxwell    (Canada)

Recently my wife and I flew from Calgary to Honolulu with a change of planes in Vancouver. The flight from Calgary to Vancouver took the usual one hour or so. However, our flight from Vancouver to Honolulu took an hour longer than I had experienced on past flights. I find it very annoying that, despite the excess charges levied on us unfortunate travellers, for baggage, seat selection and no decent food, we are forced to sit in uncomfortable conditions for another hour while the airline reduces speed to save on fuel!

WestJet Customer review :  10 March 2014 by G Toth    (Canada)

Flew from Montreal to Turks and Caicos. Tickets for this 4 hour RT flight were $1350 but the service was like we booked a cut-rate airline. On the flight out they kept us on the runway from 11.30-2.30 while dealing with fuel line issue and during this time served us 2 very small cookies. They then flew us to Toronto to get to a plane that could fly farther and served en route only alcohol or water. The flight was full of starving kids who had been on the plane for 4 hours but we were told no food or other drink because flight to Toronto "too short." We were in seats in front of the exit row which did not recline, and we were not warned about this. For the flight back, we could not check-in online because they wanted to charge us extra for our seats on the way out, even though our seat selection said zero dollars when we chose it. On the flight itself, in-flight entertainment broken, meals were cold sandwiches and by the third row they were out of all sandwiches except turkey. On arrival in Montreal, there was no attendant to connect that plane to the gate so the pilot had to call for one. Ten minutes later we saw him scampering up the ladder to the gate. Then they let us off but no one had opened the door from the gate hallway to the airport so another 10 minutes there. Then about 20 bags came out, then a 20 minutes delay with nothing, then the rest of the bags.

WestJet Customer review :  7 March 2014 by Blair McGregor    (Canada)

WestJet online booking system allows seat selection and charges for that ($21 usually). On several occasions in recent past my seat was changed from when I purchased it (and paid seat selection fee) to when I checked in. Went mysteriously from an aisle seat to a middle or window. No notice or explanation; found out when checking in and re-selected at that time. On one occasion had to pay $45 more for plus seat because no others were available. Check your seat assignment. Entertainment system poor and they've started putting on about 10 minutes worth of advertisements that you have to watch at beginning of flight and there are constant announcements during flight that interrupt the shows. Flight staff are friendly and helpful.

WestJet Customer review :  20 February 2014 by Premack Terry    (Canada)

Flight to and from Cancun, no TV's there or back. Flight took 7 hours 45 minutes return, with no explanation. Very unpleasant flight, will consider other carriers next vacation.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7