WestJet Airlines

"Very unpleasant service"

Verified Review | Québec to Toronto. This flight was my first with Westjet. Technicaly, it was a good flight, with the exception of the lack of seating comfort (like be seating on a school bus bench) and the unpleasant mood of the two flight attendants. They get very impatient with our two years girls, since she didn't want to seat during the landing and she was crying. Few minutes before the landing, one of them told me that if my daughter don't sit, the pilots will have to divert the flight to an other airport (!). Very, Very unpleasant service.
AircraftBombardier Q-400
RouteQuébec to Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Very friendly and professional"

Verified Review | Toronto to Orlando. Excellent flight. We left Toronto on time and we arrived in Orlando before the scheduled time. Very friendly and professional staff. They offer bilingual services. The plane was clean, but no individual entertainment flight system on each seat. That's the only negative point.
AircraftBoieng 737-700
RouteToronto to Orlando
Date FlownAugust 2017

"attendants were very friendly"

Verified Review | Toronto to Québec. Despite the lack of comfort of seats, the flight was pleasant. The flight attendants were very friendly. No delay, left and arried as schedule. I enjoy the flight. I would recommand to improve the comfort of the seating, since it was the only negative point of this flight.
AircraftBombardier Q-400
RouteToronto to Québec

"definitely recommend WestJet"

Verified Review | Orlando to Toronto. I enjoy my flight. Good service and professional flight attendant. I was served in French at the Westjet counter in Orlando, a service impossible to have in Toronto. I definitely recommend Westjet.
RouteOrlando to Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2017

"such an unorganized mess"

(Denmark)

Verified Review | Vancouver to Gatwick. The flight itself was nice; I got a seat on Economy Plus, and the 9 hours from Vancouver to Gatwick went by quickly. But once I got out of the plane, it was completely chaos. I had a layover in London, before going to my final destination in Copenhagen, and I was told in Vancouver that my baggage would be sent all the way to Copenhagen, however I had to verify with a Westjet Agent in London. Arriving in London I looked and asked for my baggage, but it didn't arrive and I was told that it should have arrived, because it only said "Gatwick" and not "Copenhagen" on the baggage strip, thus I hadn't been told the truth in Vancouver. I went to Denmark without my luggage, which didn't arrive in Copenhagen either. Then, a long struggle to get in contact with Westjet started - I wasn't provided with the right number to track my bag from the beginning, so I had to contact Westjet by facebook, because I didn't get a reply via email. When I finally got the right tracking number, they hadn't written my email and phone number properly, and didn't seem to care to check (the first days I wasn't contacted at all and didn't know what to do). The correspondance on Westjet's website was quite random and insuficient. I asked several questions I never received any answers to, furthermore I wrote emails directly to Westjet that were never replied. I was suddenly told that my baggage had arrived in an airport in Denmark, even though I wasn't provided with any information of the flight number, date or the new tracking number to my luggage. I rushed to the airport, where I was told that my bag hadn't arrived, and furthermore that I didn't have the right numbers to collect it. Several days went by where I still didn't get any proper answers to my questions on my lost bag, when it finally came and I was contacted directly from an agent from the Danish airport, who had been obliged to look up my phone number because Westjet had given the wrong number. The whole situation was very frustrating and confusing, and it seemed like nobody within westjet wanted to take any responsability - I was in contact with 8-9 different agents during the whole period. I got tons of insufficient information; single phrases and random info that didn't match. Furthermore, from the beginning I got 5-6 different numbers and had no idea which ones to use. Again, the trip from Vancouver to Gatwick was nice - but make sure you never lose your luggage with Westjet, because I've never experienced such an unorganized mess with any airline before in my life! And it's not the first time my baggage is delayed...
RouteVancouver to Gatwick
Date FlownJuly 2017

"Westjet cancelled my flight"

Verified Review | Montreal to Toronto. Westjet cancelled my flight to Toronto because of lack of staff. The problem is I was supposed to go to Korea from Toronto but since WestJet cancelled theirs, my flight to Korea was also interrupted and I ended up going to China through Air China. WestJet only offered me 100$ for cancellation. This is absurd and I would never take WestJet again.
RouteMontreal to Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2017

"ruined my first trip to Europe"

Verified Review | Orlando to Gatwick via Toronto. You pick the cheapest flight and you get the cheapest customer service. You get what you pay for. I was told on the plane before landing in Toronto to collect my bag and go back through Customs to get to my connecting flight to Gatwick. After waiting an hour in Toronto for my bag to show up, I finally asked a WestJet employee about my bag. He stated all flights from Florida will have their bags forwarded to their next flight. It wasn't. I arrived in London without my bag. The following day, with up to 8 agents standing around in Gatwick's WestJet check in area, I had to wait for the 1 person that was at lunch to get my bag. This caused me to miss my flight to Ireland. WestJet is taking no responsibility for having ill informed employees. They want to give me a voucher for a future flight, as if I would ever fly with them again. I understand mistakes happen, but you own them and you fix them. They ruined my first trip to Europe because I had to spend double what I expected to. Customer service is not their priority. They only get a 1 because the flight crew was decent.
RouteOrlando to Gatwick via Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2017

"was definitely disappointed"

Verified Review | My first time flying WestJet. You pay to pre-book your seat as with many airlines these days (no problem), but if you want to change your seats after that and before check-in, they make you pay again and then refund your first payment, even if the seats are the same price (makes no sense). I tried checking-in on their app which would give me an error message a number of times saying that it couldn't connect with their server. On the day of the flight the inbound flight from YVR was delayed almost two hours, delaying our HNL-YVR flight by two hours, meaning we wouldn't make our connecting flight to YUL (no reason given for the delay only their flights to Hawaii were delayed, all others were on time) Before calling WestJet, I went to check for a timetable on their website so I was prepared with our flight options - absolutely no timetables on their website; only a list with a city and the cities they fly to from there and how many times a day or a week. I was astounded. No help whatsoever. I was on hold for nearly half an hour when I called. The phone rep was very nice and helpful (she herself couldn't find out why our flight was delayed), but the soonest we could get in to YUL was 11pm, nearly 7 hours later than originally scheduled and going from YVR to YYZ to YUL (WestJet has at the most only 2 flights a day between YVR and YUL). I asked if we could switch to the flight the next day - we could and for no fee. So we left one day later than planned. I was able to get an exit row when checking in for no charge (seat had no recline, though). Flights were fortunately on time. Baggage drop was quick and easy at HNL. Exit row seats are able to board first - a nice perk. Seats were an average width, leg room pretty good, no recline not really a problem. Cabin crew were nice enough, but, upon walking back to the restroom during the flight, my husband found all 4 of them asleep (this was a red eye flight). I didn't consume any of their food or beverages, but they use Dasani water. Ugh. At YVR, WestJet has a nice part of the domestic terminal (gates B14-B18) and a not so nice part (gates B19-B23). The flight to YUL left from the not so nice part. The plane was an older 737-700. No exit row this time so the seat felt more cramped. I purchased their breakfast sandwich (cold ham and swiss on a croissant). It was fine and not too expensive. Cabin crew again were nice enough. I didn't use their streaming IFE for any of the flights. I had high hopes for WestJet and I was definitely disappointed. Yes, their staff on all levels are nice and friendly, but we got to our destination 24 hours later than planned with really no explination. I'd rather get there on time with an indifferent crew who don't feel a need to make cutesy comments and on-hold muzak with dumb jokes. Plus their internet-based services for passengers are awful. It just felt like a third-rate airline. Air Canada is two leagues ahead and about the same price. I won't be flying WestJet again.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 / 737-700
RouteHonolulu to Montreal via Vancouver
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Appalling for long haul"

Verified Review | Oh dear. Flew Glasgow to Vancouver via Toronto. This is an international airline with the comfort and convenience of cattle class. I know they're cheaper than the likes of Air Canada but in my opinion it's a false economy. First they don't include free baggage and bizarrely don't allow you to pre-purchase baggage until you check in. Secondly we chose to have 3 gluten free meals but none were available - indeed no meals at all are included in long haul flights. Third we'd prepaid for seats together including extra legroom but they changed the plane and assigned us seats in the back row leaving us to claim a refund on our return home. And as for the comfort of the seats! Appalling for long haul. I'll never fly with WestJet Airlines again.
RouteGlasgow to Vancouver via Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2017

"waited in line for 90 minutes"

Verified Review | Halifax to Victoria via Calgary. Recently Atlantic Canada experienced a complete meltdown due to Bell Aliant's service being cut, and added to that there were thunderstorms around the Toronto area. What does WestJet do to help their customers? Absolutely nothing. Rather than informing confirmed customers about possible changes, I waited in line for 90 minutes to be told that I was in the wrong line up. Then I was moved around several flights to finally get home. And that I wouldn't actually leave Halifax for 12 hours. Yet, other airlines were able to keep their flight schedules with some delays. WestJet really needs to expand their fleet if they want to be taken seriously.
RouteHalifax to Victoria via Calgary