WestJet Airlines

"not one member seemed to care whatsoever"

Trip Verified | Original trip was supposed to be Deer Lake to Halifax, then to Toronto, then to Edmonton. After multiple delays my girlfriend and I were given brand new itineraries in Halifax after 3 hrs of delay, ended up not being able to sit even close to each other, even though we originally booked and chose seating together. No Westjet member seemed to care at all. Our flights were changed to incorporate a stop in Calgary then to Edmonton, anyone who lives in central Alberta knows this is ridiculous especially to have a 1 hour layover in, after requesting our bags be dropped in Calgary and being put off numerous times, not only in Halifax, but Toronto, and Calgary, with no action, we wait and wait. We could have easily obtained our bags, and made it home 2 hours earlier. Westjet turned our 11 hr flight from Newfoundland into 21 hours total travelling and not one member seemed to care whatsoever. To add to all of this, not only did my girlfriend and I get separated, we got the worst seats on the plane, where you can’t recline, every single new departure time we were given was also exceeded by at least 45mins.
RouteToronto to Calgary
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"attendants were amazing also"

Trip Verified | Halifax to Fredericton. Westjet is amazing we were supposed to land in Fredericton on Christmas day but the weather was terrible and then we flew to Halifax and westjet gave us food vouchers and hotel at Halifax airport. The flight attendants were amazing also, thank you westjet.
RouteHalifax to Fredericton
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Los Angeles to Vancouver"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Vancouver. Airline is delayed by hours. After getting off a previous 16 hour flight to find my flight delayed by 4 hours and counting, I am not impressed by the service and lack of information given when inquiring into why there is a delay. This is also the only LAX flight to Vancouver with no option of a switch. Horrible.
RouteLos Angeles to Vancouver
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"professional and very friendly"

Trip Verified | Montego Bay to Toronto. It was the first time we flew with them. They are very professional and very friendly, the captain and crew kept us informed throughout the flight and especially at the delay at the end of flight. I will fly with them again!
AircraftB737
RouteMontego Bay to Toronto

"poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Punta Cana to Toronto. For our flight back from Punta Cana they had us sit on the runway for over 3 hours. No food, no water, and very limited instructions. The flight attendants were terrible and did nothing to alleviate the situation. They’d just stand around and play on their phones. Most airlines offer extended bar service and snacks when delayed on the runway and are informative. Worse yet, we finally get to the bag carousel, and it has been well over an hour for us with no signs of our luggage. There were flights that arrived well after ours and got their bags well before us. Our projected arrival was 7:59PM. We were hoping to get back around 9/10 PM. As we speak, it is past midnight and we will be lucky to get home by 2AM. Do not fly this airline unless you like long waits, poor customer service and cramped seats. Never flying this airline again.
RoutePunta Cana to Toronto

"huge delays every time"

Trip Verified | Ottawa to Kelowna. I honestly don’t think I’m going to fly with WestJet again. Every time I’ve flown with them there has been huge delays. Time is money people and this is ridiculous. Check your equipment before you have a hundred people on your aircraft and then have to take them all off and move to another. I know is better to be safe, but I’m still unimpressed. The staff is really good though so that’s a plus.
RouteOttawa to Kelowna
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"I am now stranded in Toronto"

Trip Verified | My flight to Montreal from Calgary was delayed and I missed my connecting flight to Boston as a result. I went through US pre-clearance in Montreal in an attempt to get to the gate to speak to a Westjet representative. Imagine my surprise when there were no Westjet representatives at the gate or in US departures section of Montreal airport. Instead, another customer and I attempted to call Westjet to attempt to enquire about our bags and alternatives, but were put on hold for upwards of 15 minutes and it was only after a United Airlines representative helped us out that we were able to enter Canada again in order get to the arrivals baggage carousel in Montreal. We then went to the Westjet counter at arrivals, again, the counter was empty and another United representative had to call a Westjet representative in Montreal. It took another 20 minutes for one to amble over to the abandoned Westjet counter at arrivals. It took over one and a half hours to talk to someone in person, by which time it was too late to even consider other Westjet flights to Boston. Of the four customers who were let down by your service, two are driving back to the United States and the other bought a last minute ticket with Air Canada. I am now stranded in Toronto until 1/5, where I was rerouted to. The process of ensuring I had a place to sleep and food to eat tonight was also ridiculous, I was only able to secure meal vouchers - despite asking specifically about them at Montreal and the Westjet rep there assuring me that they would be provided - after haggling with Westjet representatives at Gate B26 in Toronto. Again, another example of a failure at communication within Westjet. It is disgraceful that I was only able to access the right people via United representatives, who were infinitely more helpful than any of the non-existent reps at US departures in Montreal. Tight connections seem to be a recurring issue with Westjet. It is irresponsible of the airline to sell connecting flights when the second flight departs less than an hour from the landing time of the previous one. This would be an issue even without any delays but seeing as I have been delayed multiple times with Westjet (my previous flight from Boston > Toronto > Calgary being another example), it is frankly dumbfounding that the airline still has the gall to sell these flights. I do not plan on flying with Westjet again and will be encouraging my friends and family in the United States and Canada to similarly take their business elsewhere.
RouteCalgary to Boston via Montreal

"significantly delayed"

Trip Verified | Puerto Plata to Halifax via Toronto. Three out of four connections on this trip were significantly delayed with pathetic excuses. No snow, storms or any legitimate reasons. On one of the connection, Toronto to Halifax, the total delay was 3 hours. The plane was delayed arriving at the airport then 2 flight attendants arrived at 10:22 pm for a flight that was supposed to take off at 9:45 and took about 30 minutes after that to clear customs. Eventually we departed 45 minutes late from the twice delayed schedule. A truly pathetic airline.
RoutePuerto Plata to Halifax via Toronto
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"have no knowledge of customer service"

Trip Verified | On 12/30/17 our WestJet flight 1564 from Calgary to San Diego was to leave at 9.55. By 4.00 pm the flight was cancelled due to alleged "weather conditions". However we could see other flights departing. We waited until 7.00 pm to be given a voucher and no flight information as to when to return to San Diego. The female clerks were polite but the male clerks were extremely rude and unprofessional towards the female passengers. One of them told me if you don’t like me I can escort you to the door because "he" was "the supervisor". They have no knowledge of customer service.
RouteCalgary to San Diego
Date FlownDecember 2017

"almost an hour to get our luggage"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Edmonton. I have always given WestJet the benefit of the doubt whenever delays have occurred but I am now casting doubt on their credibility. On the outbound leg, everything was fine until we got to Edmonton baggage retrieval. We were misdirected first to the wrong luggage carousel and, when the second one did not work, directed to a third one. The long and the short of it was that it took almost an hour to get our luggage. On the inbound flight, we touched down 15 minutes early only to be told by the captain that because of frozen water pipes in the terminal we could not deplane. We did not need water to deplane so why not change the gate and let us off? We sat on the tarmac for about 45 minutes and, again, after deplaning, there was an interminable wait for our luggage. Apologies were forthcoming but, considering delays on my previous WestJet flights, I am really starting to wonder. On the plus side, all cabin staff were polite and friendly considering the full flights. The food and wine were not bad.
RouteToronto to Edmonton