WestJet Airlines

"Cramped spaces and unfriendly staff"

Trip Verified | Flew WestJet Airlines from Quebec City to Toronto. One of the worst airlines in terms of service and punctuality. First time for me and definitely the last. Cramped spaces and unfriendly staff. They should change their name to DelayJet. Our flight is delayed (currently waiting to board) and they have no clue when the plane will arrive. Don't fly them unless you have no schedule to adhere too.
RouteQuebec City to Toronto
Date FlownMarch 2018

"are they just passing the buck"

Trip Verified | La Guardia to Calgary via Toronto. Flights were cancelled and delayed, WestJet employees in New York were not helpful. Once on our flight to Toronto the stewards I ask for help said there would be staff that would assist us once we landed so we could catch a quick turnover to Calgary. Nobody there to help, no assistance given until after we got through customs, then we were told the flight was waiting and still no help, just told to hurry. Security walk through was slow with our bags being flagged for additional screening. We miss the flight by 2 min. Told we weren’t on the manifest by one person, then told we were by another as we had to take a later flight. We complained about the service a LaGuardia and was told those were not actual WestJet employees, and sorry for their behavior. Are any employees responsible for customer service? Or are they just passing the buck? Come on WestJet! Not the type of service you advertise.
RouteLa Guardia to Calgary via Toronto
Date FlownMarch 2018

"service is poor to worst"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Toronto. I flew around 200 flights in last 3 years with WestJet on diffrent routes. Their service is getting poor to worst. WestJet flights never leave on time and famous for endless delays. If you have a connection flight or looking for timely flight. Please do not use Westjet.
RouteMontreal to Toronto
Date FlownMarch 2018

"had the best experience"

Trip Verified | I just flew to and from LA from Toronto and had the best experience. They are an airline that doesn’t serve peanuts and other nut products in meals. It is an absolute nightmare flying with air canada and delta with a nut allergy. Westjet crew is nice, friendly and approachable. My most recent flight the flight attendant used comedic relief during the announcements and it was such a wonderful experience. I get stressed on flights and I felt really relaxed and was laughing during a big portion of the flight. Also because he kept us entertained I actually paid attention to the safety announcements for the first time ever.
RouteLos Angeles to Toronto
Date FlownMarch 2018

"flight cancelled for inclement weather"

Trip Verified | Victoria to Vancouver. The flight was cancelled for inclement weather with literally scarce flurries in the air. Vancouver had 2 inches of snow, yet everything else (Air Canada, Delta) were flying with some delay. Not only did WestJet cancel the flight, they tried to avoid compensating me for the cancelled flight. I have spent 4 days calling between Expedia, Delta and WestJet. WestJet was the only one who did not have the callback function, so I had to listen to their hellish music for more than an hour to get to the agent. A terrible service.
AircraftDash 8-400
RouteVictoria to Vancouver
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"no-service airline with exorbitant costs"

Trip Verified | Abbotsford to Calgary. I am livid right now with this airline. I have been flying exclusively with Westjet over the last year back to Calgary to visit my elderly parents and help them out during my father's chemotherapy. Every time I have flown with Westjet over the last 6 months my flight has been delayed at least half an hour to two hours. They always brush it off with their annoying brand of 'Westjet humor' on the plane which used to be kind of cute back in the day when it only happened here and there but has been an epidemic of late. I normally do not check a bag as I don't bring much with me. This trip I did check a bag because I had some things I couldn't check on the plane with me as gifts for a friend and some necessities my parents can't get in Calgary. I left for the airport with plenty of time and arrived almost an hour early to find the check in kiosks either busy or broken. I had already checked in online and paid for my checked bag, I just needed to print my bag tags and drop my bag. Once I got to the kiosk I inserted my card to get the tag and was refused check in because it was too close to my flight. Confused, I went to the customer service kiosk where I was directed by one of Westjets employees (she would have been better helping at an actual kiosk instead of wandering around). There were two people at the kiosk, plus another couple passengers who were refused check in as well. There was only one Westjet agent working. She was on the phone dealing with an issue with the two people at the kiosk who I found out were actually travelling on another airline, but because they didn't speak English well she was helping them out (???). Because of the line up forming I guess Westjet decided to bring in another agent to another kiosk. She proceeded to help the couple in front of me and when I got to the kiosk she said I was no longer allowed to take my scheduled flight because it was too late to check the bag. She said they need 45 minutes ahead and I was too late (6 minutes). I was at the airport on time, albeit right on time, due to some traffic issues and the BS I incurred at their kiosks. I asked if there was any way I could get on the plane because of my father's medical appointment and she said the only way was to bring my bag on the plane. I told her about what was in my bag and she said to check with security. I ran to security and was told I would have had to throw away over $100 worth of stuff, plus there was no offer by the westjet agent to refund my checked bag fee, so they would have taken my money for even though I wouldn't have checked it anyway. Even the security agent thought it was ridiculous. I made alternate arrangements for my father and went back to the kiosk to get on a later flight. I was greeted with attitude and indifference to my issues. I now get to wait for over three hours for a later flight. Westjet has gone from a customer friendly airline with no frills to keep costs down to a no-service airline with exorbitant costs and poor employee attitude. They have no qualms about delaying your flight on their end however when it comes to the customer they don't care. If they had enough employees working at their kiosks and were organized to deal with the immediate flights I would be on my plane right now. I will be looking elsewhere for my flying needs in the future and if I have to send anything to my parents I won't be bringing it with me if I ever fly Westjet again, I will give my business to Canada Post.
RouteAbbotsford to Calgary
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Horrible, costly experience"

Trip Verified | Horrible, costly experience. I was running late and the agent told me that they will close the gate 10 minutes before departure. I arrived 12 minutes before departure due to a long security line. The pretty girl standing in front of me got on the plane but they would not let me on. The only explanation I have received is that the pilot wanted to push early. Unbelievable! But sadly true. I am epically disappointed in WestJet Airlines today, they rescheduled me landing in BC, way too late for my needs.
RouteSaskatoon to Abbotsford via Calgary
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"flight attendants were incredibly rude"

Trip Verified | I have been waiting to cool off, and even debating about writing this review, but on Flight 426 on 1/26, the flight attendants were incredibly rude, disrespectful and offensive. During the safety briefing, I was told to remove my hearing aids. When I advised the male flight attendant that I was able to hear, he rudely said, I don't care! Take them out. Then the female flight attendant proceeded to lecture and berate me. I think that it is unbelievable in this day and age that a flight attendant would disrespect a customer for having a disability, but to berate them about language and then turn around with real profanities, is the greatest insult. This behavior is shockingly dis-respectable and unacceptable.
RouteKelowna to Boston via Edmonton
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"kind, patient and helpful"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Vancouver. The only airline that I can say consistently provides excellent customer service is WestJet. I don't normally post reviews, but I felt I had to as every encounter I've had with WestJet employees has been wonderful. They are kind, patient and helpful. If WestJet offered flights to all the places I need to go, it would be the only airline I use, period.
RouteToronto to Vancouver

"fly with anyone else"

Trip Verified | Fort Myers to Toronto. Please read earlier reveiw, it get's worse. We were prompted at the Fort Myers airport to call immediately to rebook our flight that had unexpectedly been cancelled. Because WestJet could not get us a hotel room (and never did) we were in the airport. They assured us it was toll free. We got our phone bill and it there was a charge for $127. Clearly not toll free, only when calling from Canada. This could have been smaller, but westjet had over a 40 minute wait and the call back option was not available. When contacting them about this they refused to even acknowledge anything, they are advising customers to call, only to wait (total time on phone was 85 minutes) and be charged. I called them to ask about this and was hung up on by customer service, clearly they dont know how to deal with their customers. Can't blame the customer service lady though, another 40 minutes wait to talk to them only to be hung up on. Our toll in extra costs is over $300 from just actual costs (phone, taxi, accommodations, and parking) but also extra day off work and missing appointment with renters). Not only does it seem that the cancellation could have been avoided (all other Toronto flights running) but it is absolutely unacceptable to treat customers like this. Once WestJet has your money you are forgotten, and it can get expensive. Save yourself the headache and literally fly with anyone else.
RouteFort Myers to Toronto