WestJet Airlines

"almost an hour to get our luggage"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Edmonton. I have always given WestJet the benefit of the doubt whenever delays have occurred but I am now casting doubt on their credibility. On the outbound leg, everything was fine until we got to Edmonton baggage retrieval. We were misdirected first to the wrong luggage carousel and, when the second one did not work, directed to a third one. The long and the short of it was that it took almost an hour to get our luggage. On the inbound flight, we touched down 15 minutes early only to be told by the captain that because of frozen water pipes in the terminal we could not deplane. We did not need water to deplane so why not change the gate and let us off? We sat on the tarmac for about 45 minutes and, again, after deplaning, there was an interminable wait for our luggage. Apologies were forthcoming but, considering delays on my previous WestJet flights, I am really starting to wonder. On the plus side, all cabin staff were polite and friendly considering the full flights. The food and wine were not bad.
RouteToronto to Edmonton
Date FlownNovember 2017

"never trust this airline"

Trip Verified | My connecting flight from Toronto to St John's NL was delayed by over 4 hours (delayed 8 times by 30 minutes each time). Then went back the next day and flight was delayed again by over 2 hours. They did not apologize - they are a joke - never trust this airline.
RouteToronto to St John's
Date FlownDecember 2017

"never had an on-time flight"

Trip Verified | Calgary to Toronto. Sat on the runway for over an hour because of a late crew member. Never have I had an on-time flight because of logistics issues. Friendly staff and good pilots, as of yet nobody has figured out how to schedule beyond the capability of a 10-year old. Argh.
RouteCalgary to Toronto
Date FlownDecember 2017

"never intentionally fly Westjet again"

Trip Verified | Saskatoon to Edmonton. Turned back to Saskatoon due to technical difficulties with the plane. Following a business call with employer, I was incredibly asked while inquiring about status of the delay, "if I had been drinking". What is this? The problem is not customer service, it's the choice of aircraft. I'll never intentionally fly Westjet again.
AircraftQ400
RouteSaskatoon to Edmonton
Date FlownNovember 2017

"try Air Canada"

Trip Verified | Yellowknife to Nanaimo via Calgary. Yellowknife boarded the flight on time and pushed back. Pilot made decision we needed to be de-iced which was a good one, except no one there qualified to operate the de-ice machine. Sit on the apron for 35 minutes until they find someone who can operate it. Aircraft Boeing 737 from YZF to YYC Seat leg room OK but I am only 5ft 10. I am not large but the seats felt quite narrow and not very comfortable. No entertainment centre although my experience with Westjet is their idea of entertainment is watching advertising about things not available "on this flight". YYC-YCD Aircraft Q400 seats incredibly uncomfortable with virtually no padding and very narrow. If you are a guy with over size 12 shoes make sure and go to the washroom before you board as your shoes might not fit in the washroom. The washroom is the smallest I have ever encountered and there is no sink to wash your hands after. I am serious. Person seated behind us had a small dog that barked most of the way. The highlight - they did offer those incredibly tasty pretzels (NOT), all 1/1000 of one oz. Our departure for this flight was from Gate A5 which is 300 yards (Guesstimate) from the real terminal through what is best described as a dungeon. The seating in this area is very poor, and often non existent as there are often triple the number of passengers for the limited seating available. concrete floor, one small kiosk about half way there. This is the worst. My suggestion is if the price is anywhere near try Air Canada.
AircraftBoeing 737- 600 / Q400
RouteYellowknife to Nanaimo via Calgary
Date FlownDecember 2017

"they are worse than rubbish"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Quebec via Vancouver / Toronto. Terrible. Would be well into the negative if this was possible. The problems started when I booked through them to get from Seattle to Quebec in 3 jumps. The Seattle Vancouver leg was with Delta. This was not made clear anywhere. It wasn't until I was trying to check in online to pay their exorbitant checked luggage fees that I deduced myself, with no assistance or prompting by the site, that I would have to check in via Delta. After landing in Vancouver, taking 45 minutes for people in line to be processed by 3 Customs Officers. Barely made boarding, only for the most inefficient boarding I have ever experienced. Would have taken 50 minutes to board a Max 8 3x3. Took equally as long to offload. No problem though, because our 3rd leg was delayed 45 minutes. Then 65 minutes. Then we boarded and sat on the tarmac without taking off nor explanation for over an hour. It was 2hrs 15 minutes late by the time we took off, and we were meant to have landed in Quebec at midnight. We landed at 1:55am. With kids. With no sleep on what was now a 17 hour travel day to fly about the same distance as Brisbane to Perth. Then we sat on the tarmac for 10 minutes. No explanation. It then took them 45 minutes to get the disembark gate sorted out. We left the plane at all 2:45am. Then they lost the bag. Unbelievable! And then because of all their endless stuff ups there were no cabs or uber at that ridiculous time of morning. None. Because their incompetence with the bags we were at the back of the cab line. Did not get out of the airport until 4am. Communication was appalling at ALL times. These guys are low cost, but they are worse than rubbish. Do not do it!
RouteSeattle to Quebec via Vancouver / Toronto

"Worst flight experience"

Trip Verified | Quebec City to Toronto. Worst flight experience I’ve had in North America. Our flight was delayed by 2 hours at 5:20am while we were already boarded so we had to sit in the airplane for those two hours. The leg room was atrocious. Then came the domino effect. Because of our flight delay we were not able to catch our connecting flight and got to the gate as soon as it closed. The airline obviously knew we would not make it, so they had already moved us to a flight that was leaving 4 hours after the flight we missed. The best part is (sarcasm) that we now went from a direct flight from Toronto to Ft. Lauderdale, to another connecting flight in New York. After arriving in New York we were informed that they were only using one runway and so our flight home would be delayed 2 hours on top of the 3 hour layover. After speaking to a manager in customer service named Jennifer, I was told that there was nothing they can do to compensate us in any way because the reason for the delay was uncontrollable due to weather conditions or other planes on the runway. However, we were the first flight to leave and took off with the same exact weather that we boarded the plane with. After expressing this to the manager she still refused to compensate us for the loss of money we paid for the direct flight that we missed due to their airlines delay. To recap, we went from a direct flight from Toronto to Ft. Lauderdale with an arrival time of 1:00pm (which obviously costed more than the connecting flight we were put on); were given another connecting flight with a layover of 5 total hours and 4 hours after our initial flights takeoff time; and given no compensation for being forced to take a flight that was cheaper and inconvenient compared to the flight we paid for. It is unfortunate that I paid for something that was not provided to me and had no control over why it was not provided to me. This is the complete opposite way on how to treat customers that contracted for one thing and received another with no fault at all. I will never allow Delta to move me to WestJet airlines again.
RouteQuebec City to Toronto
Date FlownDecember 2017

"seat was incredibly uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | Traveling Nanaimo to Yellowknife via Calgary. The aircraft appeared fairly new. I sat in seat 9d. The flight was on time and uneventful however the aircraft was relatively noisy in that location beside the starboard engine. The seat had comfortable leg room. The staff were pleasant. That is where the good part ends. The seat was incredibly uncomfortable with very little padding, with about one inch of recline. They offered the usual coffee, tea, and soft drinks with a cookie the size of a thimble. On arrival in Calgary we were at a gate that entered the airport at the end of a dungeon type walkway which for anyone not in shape was A real trek to the real airport which definitely ain't much to write home about. The travel Calgary to Yellowknife was an improvement on a 737. For the prices Westjet charge they need to step up their quality.
AircraftQ400
RouteNanaimo to Calgary
Date FlownDecember 2017

"shocked by his behavior"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Phoenix via Calgary on December 4th, flight WS 1494. A male attendant was extremely rude to me. I was shocked by his behavior. I was asked about tea or coffee by flight attendant. I asked for a cup of Tea, once tea was served, I asked for creamer and sugar. This attendant replied with a rude tone and told me you asked for Tea, not creamer or sugar. I was shocked by his behavior.
RouteGatwick to Phoenix via Calgary
Date FlownDecember 2017

"flight attendants were very attentive"

Trip Verified | Had a short flight from Halifax to Hamilton, which I forgot to check in early for. About 2 hours before the flight as I was getting ready to leave for the airport, I did a mobile check in and the only free seats that were left were 2 seats in row 20 and 1 seat in row 19 as well as most of the 'Economy Plus' for a charge of $50. I decided to take the Economy plus seats. Those seats are normally 2-4 time more expensive than a regular economy ticket at booking so I was happy to see Westjet offer them for a small surcharge on the day of the flight. In getting to my seat there was a bottle of water waiting. We took off on time and once the seatbelt sign was off the Economy Plus cabin had the first service. All food and drink was complementary, which was a nice touch. There were 2 services on the short flight and the flight attendants were very attentive in our cabin, and even made for great conversation between services. We landed on time in YHM and went from on the plane to out the door of the airport in less than 5 minutes.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy