TAP Air Portugal  Customer Reviews and TAP Portugal Passenger Trip Reports

TAP Portugal customer review :  21 August 2014 by Alvarez Maarit    (USA)

Had a two leg journey on TAP: Lisbon - Dakar, June 25. At check-in in Helsinki was informed that the flight will be delayed for at least 3 hours. It ended up being delayed 8 hours, and no representative was available to assist at the gate until much later - a 10 euro food coupon was issued! No talk of being sent to a hotel while waiting. As a result of this delay I arrived in Lisbon at 2.30 am local time, and despite assurances no-one met the arrivals who were transferring to other flights until several hours later. An agent shuffled various new flight coupons but there were none for our family. Obviously we had missed the continuing TAP flight hours before bound for Dakar. Now at Lisbon airport, no hotel room was available and we were not allowed access to a lounge either. We were each given a breakfast and lunch coupon, and I was given phone cards as I had no way of communicating to Dakar that we were delayed. My family ended up spending an entire day at the airport, and the next flight to Dakar, moreover, took off 2 hours later than scheduled. The total waiting time in Helsinki and Lisbon was 24 hours.

TAP Portugal customer review :  21 August 2014 by I Clark    (UK)

London Heathrow to Lisbon, days before we flew airline had cancelled flight and re-arranged it - did not tell us. On return we checked in and were allocated seats, at boarding nine passengers were prevented from boarding as they had overbooked the flight, they split families, only our daughter was allowed to fly. All our baggage was on the plane. Our daughter counted at least 5 empty seats on the plane, one next to her. Only offer from TAP was to make flights to Algiers, Geneva, Nice then Heathrow - taking over 24 hours. Manager refused to come and see us. TAP staff eventually gave up trying to resolve issue and left us to find solution with TAP staff in departures. Spent two hours with them, they arranged overnight hotel and taxi transfers. Flew back next day with B.A. through Madrid. Then spent another two hours trying to get our baggage back. B.A. service was brilliant compared to TAP. Will never fly with them again.

TAP Portugal customer review :  15 August 2014 by S Fatalla    (UK)

Flew from LHR to LIS and back from 30/07/14 to 04/08/14. Was initially really worried due to the extent of negative comments on this website but to my relief the whole trip went by without a single hiccup! We travelled in a party of 4, checked in the previous night online and printed off luggage tags and boarding passes at the kiosk at the airport, making the whole process very quick as all that was left was luggage drop-off and security. Our flights were on time and we even arrived at both destinations 10 mins ahead of schedule! Shame about the food but it's only a 2 hour and 40min flight so I'm not that bothered.

TAP Portugal customer review :  12 August 2014 by Porter Julian    (UK)

For the second year running TAP have re-scheduled our return flight to the UK giving us minimal time to make other arrangements. This year we have been offered a return flight from Porto to London via Madeira with a total journey time of 10 hours, as opposed to just over 2 hours for a direct flight. I would not use TAP again.

TAP Portugal customer review :  9 August 2014 by Antonio Coutinho    (Mozambique)

TP282, 28th June 2014, MPM-LIS. TP281, 26th July 2014, LIS-MPM. Business class to Africa is third world product! Old planes that are broken, food bad, you get three prawns for supper and some rice! Not lie flat seats. Movies are old and limited. Seats movements limited. Cabin Crew are unionised how could I tell they do not care one bit! Service really bad! Note worth a business class price.

TAP Portugal customer review :  4 August 2014 by L Jones    (UK)

Rio-Lisbon-London, 25th July 2014, 22.35. Flight delayed until 26th July at 05.20. No explanation given other than the incoming flight from Lisbon was delayed! Put up in local airport hotel but forced to leave hotel at 2am to check in. Checking in at the hotel for a 4 hour stay took ages as each customer had to fill in a form. Not acceptable in any way and no TAP rep to help. Old plane from Rio, worst legroom on long haul ever experienced and food (chicken?) was very dried out. IFE ancient. Most screens on a 10 hour flight did not work and those that did showed rolling programme of a few channels for which there was no info. At check-in at Rio we had been allocated a rearranged flight for Lisbon departure of 18.50 which was impossible to make and, quite predictably, the gates for this flight had closed as we arrived at Lisbon. No other flight was available until 10.10 the following morning. Another airport hotel which was reasonable. TAP insisted on 7am pickup. Queued at TAP customer services at 7.30 am to get a voucher for breakfast, which at first they very strongly and rudely refused. We were told that we would get a sandwich on the plane to London at 11am. After a very heated discussion a voucher was grudgingly given for 6 Euros! At no stage did we find any of the TAP staff at all apologetic. This was clearly a common experience. We eventually reached home 48 hours after leaving our Rio hotel. We will never use TAP again.

TAP Portugal customer review :  4 August 2014 by J Dewit    (Belgium)

Flew BRU-LIS-BRU. Both flights were on time. A small warm meal was served on both flights with a generous drink service. Friendly cabin crew. Seats a bit cramped. Would fly with TAP again.

TAP Portugal customer review :  4 August 2014 by D Naert    (Belgium)

BRU-LIS-GIG-OPO-BRU in economy. Confused check-in clerk at BRU. She needed 15 minutes to complete check-in. Uneventful BRU-LIS leg. LIS-GIG on A330. Horrible food. No wine served between meals on this 10 hour daytime flight. "It is not allowed." Toilets were not kept clean, and nearly all ran out of toilet paper and even paper tissues. Absolutely gross, I have never seen anything like it. Old-fashioned IFE on a loop system. Crew courteous, but distant. Food slightly better and friendlier crew on GIG-OPO leg, and luckily, video on-demand was available. We were upgraded to business on OPO-BRU (operated by Portugalia), which had the friendliest crew of all four legs. All in all, I would not recommend this airline.

TAP Portugal customer review :  4 August 2014 by Joel Valja    (Estonia)

TAP Portugal recently opened a direct route between Lisbon and Tallinn, the capital of Estonia and we took the chance to visit Lisbon because of the fantastic prices they were offering. I'm at a bit of loss how to rate this airline because the first leg of the trip was excellent and the second leg was non-existent (our flight was canceled). The leg from Tallinn to Lisbon was very enjoyable despite the long flight time (almost 5 hours). The staff were very friendly, the plane was nice and clean and the flight was smooth. The food was the best I've eaten on an aircraft so far. After spending a few days in Lisbon I got an e-mail that our return trip to Tallinn had been canceled. The next day I decided not to take risks and went directly to TAP Portugal's office in the city and got new tickets, from Lisbon to Frankfurt and Frankfurt to Tallinn. The Lisbon to Frankfurt flight was operated by a Bulgarian charter airline. Frankfurt to Tallinn was Lufthansa. Both of the flights went fine. However, the Frankfurt flight is a flight that is late 56% of the time! We were rather nervous whether we would catch the connecting flight to Tallinn or not. On top of that, because the flight to Frankfurt left so early (14.20 instead of 22.00, which was the original departure time to Tallinn) and because I had to run to TAP Portugal's office and then to the airport to check-in and print the boarding passes, we more or less lost an entire day of our vacation in Lisbon. The root of the problem is that TAP Portugal seems to have a very aggressive expansion policy, they are opening new routes but the capacity in terms of airplanes and crew are simply not there to support it. That's why for example the Frankfurt flight was flown by BH Air, the Bulgarian charter airline. On top of that, I think the Portuguese airline lacks the discipline and in-depth planning capability to make sure everything goes smoothly and that results in ruined vacations and people missing important events. The only saving grace is that TAP Portugal is a big airline and a member of Star Alliance, so even if their flights get cancelled you are likely to get home. However, I would think twice before using this airline again.

TAP Portugal customer review :  4 August 2014 by M Ryding    (UK)

Everything you have heard about TAP is true! They cancelled our first plane, meaning we lost two days of our holiday. Our return flight was hopelessly late, and then our luggage failed to make it on board! Their pilots go on strike this month, and the talk in Portugal was that they were about to be taken over.

TAP Portugal customer review :  30 July 2014 by Stephen Wickler    (Norway)

Recent journey from northern Norway to Porto was delayed by a full 24 hours and transformed from a straightforward trip to an exhausting marathon. I received an email on July 19 that my flight with TAP from Oslo to Lisbon on the 21st had been cancelled (no reason given) and I should contact them about the flight. After spending almost an hour on the phone before getting assistance, I was told that I had been put on a KLM flight to Amsterdam connecting with a TAP flight to Porto and sent a copy of the new routing. All went well until I arrived in Amsterdam to discover that the TAP flight to Porto had been cancelled. There was no TAP staff available at the transfer desk and I finally obtained help from the staff at the Star Alliance lounge. I was put on a TAP flight to Lisbon the next day at 11.45 am with a wait until 5.45pm for the connecting half hour flight to Porto. The flight to Porto was delayed 1.5 hours so that I missed the last bus from Porto airport to my final destination. Needless to say, I am a bit apprehensive about my return flights on TAP from Porto to Lisbon and onward to Oslo this coming Monday. All in all my experience with TAP has been frustrating and irritating and I will think twice before using them again in the future.

TAP Portugal customer review :  30 July 2014 by S Christian    (UK)

Recife to Londonvia Lisbon and the next day flew London to Kolkata via Mumbai with Jet Airways. The 2nd time now the flight from Recife to Lisbon has been cancelled and changed to another time, which is not so bad. But the second time on this leg that it was in fact not a TAP plane at all but a charter plane from 'Euro Atlantic' being operated by TAP. It was a terrible 1986 aircraft, no operational TV's for a long haul flight, seat did not go back at all and it was a night flight! TAP advertise all these great things about their cabin on their website and twice now out of 4 flights on this journey you end up paying the same but getting a far inferior product. What is wrong with TAP, do that not have or can they not maintain their own planes? It's a long way round but from now on I think we will fly via Rio or SP to Recife in order to avoid TAP.

TAP Portugal customer review :  30 July 2014 by K Rosenbergo    (Germany)

Worst Flight experience I have had so far (I am a frequent flyer). I had a flight from Lisbon to Recife (Brazil). The plane was old. My seat was loose and uncomfortable. After take off I complained about it. There was no inflight video service. On an 8 hour flight drinks were only served twice. When I asked for water she rejected my request. There was no alternative meal, only a sandwich with bad cheese, ham and no butter and rice with dry chicken, no sauce. Nothing else for eight hours. I am not tall, but my knees touched the seat in front of me.

TAP Portugal customer review :  21 July 2014 by J Nombro    (UK)

Booked a TAP flight from LHR to Fortaleza, Brazil for the world cup. Received a call from TAP the day before flying that the second leg from Lisbon to Fortaleza would be operated by Windrose (a Ukrainian company working with TAP) so no time to change your flight (rebooking or cancellation as you need to get to your destination). 1st leg from Heathrow was OK. The second leg operated by Windrose departed 1 hour later than scheduled from Lisbon including a wait of 30 mins inside the bus taking us from the gate to the aircraft. The aircraft was an old A330. It had no entertainment system (No movies, no music, no games - nothing). What do you do on a 7hr journey like this? Although the Windrose crew were friendly and should not be blamed for anything, this is a real disgrace for TAP selling a product that is below current long haul travel standards and not playing fair and transparent with the customer about the product which they are selling. Return trip left 1hr 30mins late but I'll leave this complaint for a different day. Will I fly TAP again? I'd rather pay for a direct flight from LHR to Brazil next time. They are definitely not doing themselves any favours.

TAP Portugal customer review :  28 July 2014 by V Aragon    (Sweden)

My husband and I booked a flight to see the World Cup in Rio at the beginning of June. We met some people on the flight who had problem with their flights from Portugal to Rio de Janeiro. The queue at the airport to get new flights was long. We could already see the problem the company had with delays. I have nothing to say about the service onboard, the food or the entertainment. Everything was nice. The problem is the administration and the schedules they have. On our way back from Rio we got the bad news that our flight to Portugal was delayed 8 hrs. Instead of flying that night at 22.30 we were supposed to fly the day after at 6.30 am. We got just vouchers for dinner. No hotel so we spent the night at the airport. No explanation about the delay. In Portugal we had another delay. I understand some planes have problems, my disappointment came later on with the impossible mission to get in touch with TAP by e-mail. This is the worst service I've experienced!

TAP Portugal customer review :  28 July 2014 by J Tung    (UK)

Flew TAP from Barcelona to Lisbon and then Lisbon to London Gatwick last week. Overall check in was smooth and friendly and the plane was well kept. The seats were comfortable perhaps due to a lower load factor. In fact the seating was better than the long haul of most airlines. Service was excellent. The crew always wore a smile and response to your request and they were well groomed. Their inflight magazine was also of top quality. I also enjoy the safety video a lot.

TAP Portugal customer review :  28 July 2014 by H Frederiksen    (Denmark)

Copenhagen-Lisbon-Funchal, 7/7/2014. This was a travel with delay, cancellation, more delay and on top: Luggage lost for 6 days (our vacation was 9 days). Nobody from TAP Portugal really cared: "Usually the luggage appears again!" Hotel said: "Big problem all year, but especially in the summer time." About 10-15 passengers from this plane lost their luggage this night, but this was not unusual, I was told. Never again TAP Portugal!

TAP Portugal customer review :  28 July 2014 by Barrett Tom    (UK)

Flew from London to Lisbon on 10 June (1 hour+ delay) and Lisbon to Salvador on 11 June (4.5 hours delay). In- flight entertainment not working throughout flight to Salvador and customer service at Lisbon airport dreadful. Handed completed complaint form to cabin crew on 11 June and resubmitted complaint online on 30 June but still no response or even acknowledgement. I will never use this airline again.

TAP Portugal customer review :  21 July 2014 by Irene Norman    (UK)

Due to fly to Lisbon on Thursday from Manchester 17/07/14 we were told the flight had been cancelled and the only alternative offered was for the following day via London and Madrid! A 9 hour journey plus travel time from home and to our hotel-another 4 hours. It emerged TAP had known the previous evening the flight would be cancelled and had they emailed to inform us I would now be sitting on a sunny beach in Portugal having flown via EasyJet instead of spending ages trying to contact TAP who are not responding and writing this in Wet Wales. A lousy experience all round with this airline.

TAP Portugal customer review :  18 July 2014 by Perrin Michel    (Brazil)

GIG-LIS-A330-200. An old ones (once Swissair). Seats are very new and very comfortable but inflight entertainment dates from last century. Note for an extremely friendly staff. Food was very pleasant, however Portuguese selection of wines was poor. Portugal has much better wines that deserve to be served. No French Champagne. An acid Sparkling wine. Late take off, on-time at arrival. Luggage very quick.

TAP Portugal customer review :  18 July 2014 by S Oliveira    (Brazil)

I flew GIG-LIS-PRG and GVA-LIS-SSA between June in July, and 3 out of these 4 flights were delayed. The first delayed flight, from Rio to Lisbon, had a delay of 4 hours. From the airport display (on June 14), it was the only delayed international flight that night. The last flight, from Salvador to Rio on July 5, delayed at least one hour. The third flight, to Geneva to Lisbon on July 4, was my worst flight ever. TAP managed again to have the only delayed flight in the display, gave up the flight to a Spanish company (Swift air) that had a terrible flight service and very outdated aircraft (some baggage compartments didn't close properly). We had problems in the arrival in Lisbon as well. After all, I planned to leave the airport by 1PM and take a tour in Lisbon, but thanks to TAP, this happened at 4pm.

TAP Portugal customer review :  18 July 2014 by Robert Jones    (UK)

We flew from London Heathrow at the start of our holidays and flight was 35 minutes late. On the return journey we flew from Porto to Lisbon, 30 minutes late and from Lisbon to London Heathrow 45 minutes late. Need I say more.

TAP Portugal customer review :  18 July 2014 by K Cassidy    (UK)

London - Lisbon, Lisbon - Miami. Delays all the way there with no communication, just sitting waiting. Delays all the way home with no communication. No in-flight entertaining (broken "unable to reset as the one staff member who could do it was off on leave) so no inflight entertainment travelling with four children! Nightmare. Food/snacks were good, but would never use them again.

TAP Portugal customer review :  18 July 2014 by J Michaels    (USA)

Flew TAP from Newark to Lisbon. Left on schedule. Nice flight attendants. The only problem I had was they had no cups in the lavatories and I went in there with my bag to take medication, but no cups for water. I exited and asked flight attendant that there were no cups in the bathroom, she stated they did not provide cups in the lavatories. Strange. The food was the worst airline food I have had and I could not eat it. I only ate the dessert. My return from Lisbon to Newark was a nightmare. Checked out of hotel for 2.45pm departure, only to be told at ticket counter that flight was 8 hours late, with expected departure at 10pm, no reason for delay was given, even though I asked. Was told to go to customer service counter and was given meal coupon. So needless to say, I spent the whole day in Lisbon airport and half the night. The departure was 10.20pm, there was no order at gate, hundreds of people just standing around waiting. No place to sit, had to stand. It was a nightmare. Finally boarded and took off. Once again, the meal was terrible, I could not eat it, so went hungry. Flight attendant offered cod or "meat". I asked what kind of meat and got nothing but a strange look. Overall, experience was a bad one.

TAP Portugal customer review :  18 July 2014 by T Jackson    (UK)

Up until now I've not had a list of airlines to absolutely avoid in the future. Congratulations, TAP - you are the first on that list. Never have I experienced such ridiculous service or felt so uncomfortable on a flight. Flying from London to Recife via Lisbon, and back from Rio to London via Lisbon, every single one of the flights was delayed by at least an hour. Crazy enough though, I think we were the 'lucky' ones, as on the outgoing leg most of the TAP flights on the Lisbon departure board were delayed by 5+ hours. What is going on?! There was absolutely no entertainment from Lisbon to Recife either, and the leg room was terrible, making the flight seem like an eternity. In addition, the food was just awful. Never again will I fly with this company - I will pay a lot more to avoid it.

TAP Portugal customer review :  14 July 2014 by Murray Klein    (Canada)

Flew from Malaga to Lisbon on TP 1077, June 23rd 2014 and paid an excess luggage fee of 150 euros. After arrival in Lisbon, waited for luggage to come down luggage carousel and only 1 piece of luggage, not mine, came down. Was told by TAP representative that luggage was not loaded onto this aircraft due to weight restrictions and to place a lost luggage claim. Late Wednesday night June 25th, the luggage finally arrived at my hotel in Lisbon after being routed from Malaga to Frankfurt and then to Lisbon. Totally unacceptable service.

TAP Portugal customer review :  14 July 2014 by D Freitas    (Portugal)

FNC-LIS-AGP-LIS-FNC. First flight took off on time though there was a passenger in front of me who had her seat fully reclined, so my flight was a nightmare and even lost my sandwich because I couldn't even spread my arms. The cabin crew saw this but did nothing. Flight LIS-AGP was late by half an hour, this was their inaugural flight using ATR 42 on the route which they used a Beechcraft 1900 before but if you didn't know you wouldn't notice it. The flight AGP-LIS was late by 2 hours and almost lost the connecting flight LIS-FNC. AGP-LIS had the most appalling flight attendant, I can't understand why TAP would pay a salary to have people like him who would be better driving a truck than hosting passengers. He just didn't care. On the flight LIS-FNC we were late by 1h and a half plus they emailed me a week before to say the flight had been rescheduled. Ended up flying more time than usual due to high winds in Madeira. However the food on all flights were quite good indeed. All in all the very usual mediocre service you get from TAP.

TAP Portugal customer review :  14 July 2014 by C Rocha    (Portugal)

Lisbon-Malaga and return (TAP 1076/1079) end of June and beginning of July. The first leg of the flight was fine in a Beechcraft 1900D with nineteen seats. The only "drama" was watching our fellow passengers when they had a good look at the kind of plane they were using for the trip. No problems at all and flight arrived on scheduled. Unfortunately in the return trip they managed to have a delay of three hours, on a flight that only last one hour and fifteen minutes in a ATR 72 from Helitt. The official reason was that the flight crew had exceeded their flight times.

TAP Portugal customer review :  9 July 2014 by M Mccarthy    (USA)

Flew from USA to Europe, round-trip, 4 flights, as connection through Lisbon. First flight, the Atlantic portion, they ran out of soap in the bathroom, and the last hours of the flight, some toilets not working/flushing. One of our seats was broken and would recline, the adjacent passenger's screen was not working, so he would look across the aisle at another screen. We were about 2 hours delayed so while we didn't miss our connections, others on board did. The return flight better, except again no soap in the bathroom. The entertainment on the screen was terrible, unless you consider one war movie, and the following movie, Mulan good choices for an 8 hour flight. The flight left timely, although the other passengers (about 5) we spoke to said their other flights were late. The food was fair/good. Would avoid this airline for future travels.

TAP Portugal customer review :  7 July 2014 by C Suffield    (UK)

Flew London - Lisbon then Lisbon - Recife, June 11th 2014. Flight cancelled to Brazil without notice even though TAP knew no plane from Lisbon available. Shipped to Marriot made to pay for beverages. Advised to get up at 3am for rescheduled next morning flight. Got up and then advised plane would be delayed until 7am departure. Another 2 hour delay occurred. No TAP representative at Hotel. No TAP Representative to meet us next morning at Lisbon airport. Speaking to fans at games TAP did this on Wednesday Thursday and Friday of this week! On return flight, 1 July, 11.25pm from Recife to Lisbon TAP swapped the plane to a charter airline Air Europa and emailed me 4 hours before departure saying I could change my flight if I desired. Having already checked out of Hotel and waiting in Recife for 6 hours what did they elect me to do. The charter plane was obviously known about days in advance so why did they not email sooner so I could have arranged alternative transport home. The staff on the plane were superb but the plane seating was a disaster, tiny seat pitch and no entertainment. The seating was cocked up by TAP staff at Recife issuing seats that did not exist and making the boarding process delayed.

TAP Portugal customer review :  7 July 2014 by Vasco Capela    (Portugal)

Lisbon to Rome and vice-versa (June 30th and July 4th) was late on both days. On the 4th of July, the plane was supposed to take off at 7.25pm (local hour) but at 9pm the plane was still taxiing to the runway. Except for this detail I enjoyed both flights. On the first flight (Lisbon-Rome) I found the breakfast surprisingly good (for an airline meal). The sandwich had a strange appearance, but I wanted another one when I finished. On the second flight a light meal (not a full dinner) was served. I also found the potato puree with turkey sausages and bacon pretty tasty. The flight crew were also very nice and attentive, although on the first flight they seemed a little tired. At least they were not rude and on the same flight I saw the flight attendants speaking Portuguese, English, Italian, French and Spanish to the passengers. The seats were comfortable and the plane, in general, was clean. I also thought both landings were quite rough. If you are going on shorts flights with TAP, please take a book or something else. If you don't, you might get stuck watching the cartoon version of Mr Bean. In general, if you are going on vacations and you don't mind getting late to your destination, TAP is surely a good airline. If you are going on business trips, don't fly with TAP: the flights can get late and the business class didn't seem much different from the economy class. It doesn't matter anyway: most of their planes only have one class (economy).

TAP Portugal customer review :  7 July 2014 by M Howe    (Australia)

Madrid to Lisbon. TAP Portugal is a very nice Airline. They gave everyone a complementary sandwich and a drink. Entertainment was okay, just a little hard if you are a bit far from the dropdown screen. Staff very helpful.

TAP Portugal customer review :  7 July 2014 by P Rudran    (UK)

Flight was cancelled on Wed 25th June 2014 and no organised communication or customer care was given by TAP staff. Very poor service for a Western Country based airline. Wasted our whole day. No compensation, no care was granted for a frequent traveller like me and it caused huge inconvenience and cost of taking a 120 taxi back home. TAP has to step up if they wish to compete and even perhaps survive without subsidies (if any) with not only the likes of BA but also the low cost carriers like EasyJet and Ryanair. I care about TAP and had been loyal to them for many years. However, it will not for long if they behave like they do now and lack pro-activeness.

TAP Portugal customer review :  7 July 2014 by Larry McElroy    (USA)

My son and I flew Portugalia Airlines from Malaga to Lisbon, June 2014. The leg was flown in a Beechcraft 1800D. We arrived in Lisbon without our luggage, as did a half dozen other passengers. We were on a 43 day trip around the world and this was day 3. Not good. After 3 days, our luggage arrived. My gripe is, why did it take 3 days, come to find out, our luggage was never boarded in Malaga. I would guess this was due to weight restrictions as we saw them unload the baggage and there were only a few pieces. There was plenty of space left in the baggage compartment. The luggage could have been with us early the next morning. as there were several flights that could make this happen. I believe there was a neglect on the airlines side that they didn't get it to us sooner. Especially since we filed a loss luggage report at once. This would have made it a lot less stressful on us. We were about to go shopping or new clothes on day 3 of the ordeal when the 2 pieces arrived. I would fly Portugalia Airlines again but not in this type of aircraft. Employees were helpful in tracing the lost luggage but updating the online information wasn't. When it arrived, it still said it was still searching for it.

TAP Portugal customer review :  4 July 2014 by Wilson Paul    (UK)

Just returned from the World Cup, flew London to Recife via Lisbon. On the outward sector they cancelled our flight from Lisbon to Recife, we only found out about this at the departure gate at Heathrow! Absolute disgrace. As for the flights (all sectors) it has to be one of the worst airlines I have had the unfortunate experience to fly. Inflight service appalling, the inflight entertainment consisted of a cartoon version of Mr Bean. Surprise surprise, delayed on the return leg at Lisbon thus missing connections in London, no apologies whatsoever from the crew. I will most definitely choose another airline over TAP, even on short haul.

TAP Portugal customer review :  2 July 2014 by R Tuck    (UK)

As a seasoned traveller to South America I'm disappointed to say that I'll try to avoid this airline in future. Flying to Sao Paulo via Lisbon for the World Cup both out going flights were delayed a total of 3 hours and on my return I'm informed there's yet another undetermined delay due to lack of cabin crew. Also my seat from Brazil to Lisbon had no inflight entertainment or light to read from (broken). I would also point out a good proportion of other flights were also delayed. Not the stress free travel I like and expect. They left it until the last minute to inform of delay-not helping my onward travel from Heathrow.

TAP Portugal customer review :  2 July 2014 by Alex Skidmore    (UK)

Lisbon-Brussels, A319, economy. Absolutely excellent airline, first time flying TAP and will certainly use again. Flew mid haul from LIS to BRU on a relatively new 319. Online check in was easy and allowed me to select my seats, and baggage drop at the airport was quick and efficient. Flight was delayed 45minutes due to strike action, but all issues were communicated early allowing me to arrive at the airport later than planned and not be affected by the delay. Economy seat was wider than most rival airlines, and leg room was certainly larger than usual on 319, seats were leather with full recline, only downside being immovable head rest, as being 6'3 it's usually too low, however legroom was comfortable which is a rarity. Drinks were served during the flight (complimentary soft drinks and alcohol) as well as a tasty sandwich snack. Staff were very polite and friendly, and switched effortlessly from English to Portuguese and French. Entertainment was provided in the form of drop down TV screens, mostly showing cartoons with very low sound throughout the cabin which wasn't distracting. Ultimately probably the best airline I've flown over such a short distance, very impressed and will be looking into using them ongoing.

TAP Portugal customer review :  2 July 2014 by Jeffrey Stranks    (Brazil)

Flew Brasilia-London-Lisbon-Brasilia in Business class, not for the first time. It's never been great but this time, the aircraft on the transatlantic legs were simply dreadful, offering Business class from about 1990. Really ancient A330s with basic seats and an IFE that doesn't allow you to stop/start films on request, and which offered only about six films anyway. These days, that's just pathetic. On the last leg (LIS-BSB) there were only nine (9) people in Business and still I couldn't get my first choice meal - attendant said "only two trays of the chicken were boarded" - so I had overcooked and tasteless veal instead. On more than one occasion, attendants on TAP have encouraged me to write and complain - they clearly feel passengers aren't getting a good deal. On these flights in June 2014, attendants were just great - thereby just about saving the airline in my view. We use TAP because I can get to the UK in only two flights from Brasilia, not three. If other airlines were to offer this, I'd take it - and Air France are starting to do so. So I'll be reviewing my bookings. TAP I think is getting away with using old and poor aircraft on their flights in and out of Brazil because they know they've got an almost captive market - hope they get some competition soon to jerk them into updating their sad old fleet.

TAP Portugal customer review :  2 July 2014 by S Whyte    (Portugal)

Quite appalling on a consistent basis on short haul flights to the rest of Europe from Lisbon. Delays of 1 hour are normal and today I have an 8 hour delay. And was lied to several times on the cause. Shocking. I am a gold card holder of TAP and I have decided not use them again. The flight timings have been awful and not replicated by other airlines on the same route, and the service at the counter as well as on the plane is very poor.

TAP Portugal customer review :  26 June 2014 by K Vosburg    (Hungary)

I am an experienced traveler through North America, the Caribbean and Europe and have never had a worst experience with an airline. My flight was scheduled to depart at 23.50 and at 23.50 we were told that our flight had been cancelled due to lack of crew (conveniently during the Portugal USA football match). We were not allowed to get our luggage and informed that everything would be at the hotel upon arrival. We were instructed at the gate that a new flight would be available for all of us the following morning. We were led to a bus and dropped off at the wrong hotel and abandoned by any TAP employee. We then picked up our belongings and walked 20 minutes to the proper hotel. Upon arrival here there was no information provided. After several calls to the front desk and the airline I was finally told that we could go for lunch at 13.00 with still no information on a new flight. I called several times until I finally booked with a new airline as I had to be back for another flight to North America. I arrived 24 hours after my original flight was scheduled. I will never use TAP Portugal nor recommend it to anyone.

TAP Portugal customer review :  26 June 2014 by R Costa    (Portugal)

Flight TP1827, LIS-TER, 21/06/2014. This flight was a nightmare, the worst airline customer service I have experienced. The flight was scheduled to depart at 6.20pm, at 8.30pm the information available was that the flight was delayed. At 10.00pm no one from TAP approached us or give us an explanation. At 11.00pm someone arrived and communicated that the flight was cancelled, no food or compensation, just a ride to a cheap hotel where a meal will be served. At the airport TAP told us the flight was cancelled, a new flight will be operated on Monday 23/06/2014. We felt totally abandoned without any luggage or information. On a 40 hour delay TAP only gave us two cheap meals and a five euro phone card. The flight on Monday 23 departed 1 hr 40 mins late and the food served on board was edible. I will never fly TAP again.

TAP Portugal customer review :  24 June 2014 by Smith Les    (UK)

Flight TP322, Lisbon-Manchester, 09/06/2014. On arrival at Baggage drop at Lisbon Airport informed 1hr delay. Boarded plane and engineers working on aircraft, captain said small tec fault and delay of 15-20 mins. After 30 mins air-con switched on and water distributed by cabin crew, captain said still working on fault and further delay of approx same length. After 1hr on plane Captain said fault could not be fixed and that we were to be put on another plane resulting in total delay of 3hrs. We were kept informed throughout, not kept in dark like some airlines. On flight back to Manchester made up 30 mins but on arrival had to wait 1hr 08mins for bags to be delivered to carousel (problem with Menzies ground staff, common event). Not what you want after 3hr delay.