TAP Air Portugal  Customer Reviews and TAP Portugal Passenger Trip Reports

TAP Portugal customer review :  24 June 2014 by J Maunders    (UK)

I have just returned from a trip to Brazil but I will never fly with TAP again. I had booked flights from Heathrow to Natal via Lisbon. The day before my departure I found out by chance that the Lisbon - Natal flight had been cancelled (after I had checked in online and printed my boarding pass). The same thing happened to the return flight. Each time there was no explanation. Furthermore, when I arrived in Lisbon to get my connecting flight to Heathrow, I discovered that this flight had also been cancelled - due to a lack of crew. They wanted to put passengers up in a hotel overnight but I went to customer services and was able to get on a flight later that evening, even though I was initially told that there were no available seats. That flight was delayed by over an hour but I was just relieved to be on a plane home. My experience was not unique. I had friends making the same trip on different flights and they all had similar experiences.

TAP Portugal customer review :  24 June 2014 by C Danielsson    (Sweden)

I flew June 17 from Lisbon to Rio de Janeiro in business class. The trip to Rio I do 3-4 times every year and this time took TAP because of the flights departure time. I have used most of the airlines flying the route but this was the second time with TAP. TAP was a more positive experience than I feared, everything was more or less ok apart from entertainment. The programs and the quality was low. The seat was comfortable but not high-class, the staff did their jobs - nothing more and the food was usual plane food. The aircraft felt old. I can imagine traveling with TAP again if necessary.

TAP Portugal customer review :  24 June 2014 by Smith Les    (UK)

Flight TP329, Manchester-Lisbon, 28/05/2014. Had most wonderful flight on arrival at check-in at Manchester informed economy cabin oversubscribed and I and several other passengers were being upgraded to Business class. Crew were very good and it was nice to see what goes on in front of the curtain.

TAP Portugal customer review :  11 June 2014 by K Niblo    (USA)

I had a flight from NY to Barcelona with a connecting flight in Lisbon. We landed at 7am with a 9am departure. We had to go through customs first and that's when problems began. There was a massive crowd ahead of us. Not wanting to chance it I asked a TAP employee if they could help us out. I was politely told not to worry. They would come get us out of the line and through customs to make sure we made our flight. As it got closer to 9am I as well as others asked several more times to TAP employees if they could help us. We were told the same answer. Finally myself and others demanded something be done. They let us go through only to see the doors for our flight closed and locked. I'm told this is typical in Lisbon. They lie to you to put you off and you're suppose to thank them for a meal voucher while you wait 6 hours for the next flight. Guess what, I'll never go through Lisbon after this trip or use TAP.

TAP Portugal customer review :  9 June 2014 by John Lynn    (UK)

TAP from Manchester UK to Funchal via Lisbon, Sunday 1st June, delayed 2 hours in Lisbon as they "couldn't find a crew". Seating on both legs very tight, inflight service virtually non existent, poor dry sandwich and half a glass of wine given begrudgingly. Return flight from Lisbon to Manchester is delayed today 8th June - told by at least 2 hours no further information given - no explanation - just a shrug. Very poor airline regarding timekeeping - wonder if I will get home tonight?

TAP Portugal customer review :  5 June 2014 by A Munoz    (Spain)

Barcelona - Lisbon - Barcelona. The delays on both flights cost me a lot, seams this is a daily problem. On the way back I arrived in Barcelona 3 hours late. The online check in only works by Phone call. Aircraft from Barcelona to Lisbon was dirty, additionally they have redefined the meaning of "meal" to refer to a minuscule triangle of dry bread and a small drink. Very bad on refills, only got 15cl of cheap orange juice. Staff should be more friendly.

TAP Portugal customer review :  3 June 2014 by R Silva    (Portugal)

LON - OPO. Flight delayed 1 hr 40 mins. Extremely rude crew on board, no food just a plastic snack I didn't touch. TAP needs to improve their service urgently.

TAP Portugal customer review :  30 May 2014 by Anthony Gibbons    (New Zealand)

TP486 from Lisbon to Nice on 27 May. Promo ticket for 60 euros. 2.25 hour flight. Was dreading TAP after all the bad reviews but had a great experience. Web check and bag drop at Lisbon Portela worked fine (Lisbon terminal 1 is great on departure). Warm welcome from crew with on time departure and early arrival into Nice. Only negatives were the old plane (an old Fokker) and the food (hot dinner of bacalhau fish pie. Bit stodgy for my liking. Crew warm and attentive and not stingy with the wine. Bonus about this old plane was the legroom and seat cushioning- obviously pre-dates the days of beancounters running airlines! Not sure about flying them longhaul though (flew Lufthansa from Rio to Europe enroute from NZ and they were competent). Great value for money paid. Will consider for future travels to/from Portugal.

TAP Portugal customer review :  28 May 2014 by R Silva    (Portugal)

Europe Round Trip - After what's been nearly a straight trimester of travel and suitcase living, I'm glad to now be home for a rest. This past month was especially brutal. What should have been an easy week in my home town Lisbon and a round trip to Warsaw, Barcelona, Madeira, Paris and Berlin had me racking up more travel follies in one trip than I've experienced in the past 3 years. I managed to have one of the worst flight experiences of my life with TAP, out of 5 flights for the week only one wasn't delayed for over 2 hours. You have to love when you leave the gate for a 2.5 hour flight only to have to sit on the plane an extra 2.5 hours before taking off (and then of due to the delays you miss your connection home and have to spend an extra night in a hotel and the flight home the next morning is delayed over 2 hours too). Despite the chronic delays, expensive tickets, old aircraft's and bad food, the experience was not good, TAP is an airline I will avoid at all cost in the future.

TAP Portugal customer review :  25 May 2014 by G Marsh    (UK)

LGW-LIS, what a shambling miserable experience! Cabin crew unfriendly, none smiled once during boarding or during the flight. One hour into the flight before any cabin crew were seen and even then made to feel as if they were doing you a favour. Food cold so it was not as if they were preparing a gastronomic delight which they certainly were not. I would suggest the crew from this flight look for other jobs if they are that miserable. I doubt I would fly with TAP again. Airline let down by their crew who could do with some customer focused training!

TAP Portugal customer review :  24 May 2014 by V Gorjanc    (Slovenia)

BRU-LIS-BRU. Nice flights. Mobile check-in worked fine both ways. Seating in the front part of the cabin was good and plenty of legroom. An old style aircraft seats are a bless. Flights on time. Unfortunately food is getting worse and worse.

TAP Portugal customer review :  22 May 2014 by B Teles    (Portugal)

Lisbon to Luanda Round Trip in economy class. This was my last flight with TAP Portugal on this route, the tickets are expensive compared with poor service you receive in exchange. Old aircraft with refurbished interiors, poor food and delays in both flights. The flight to Luanda was a nightmare, I endured 8 hours listening to a screaming child, was not kids fault, but crew fault. I ask to change seat and it was denied without any reason or explanation, I saw available seats on the back. After this episode not one cabin crew member to be seen for hours. On the way back (night flight) the food they served was inedible, many meals barely touched and passengers complaining. The cabin staff was more friendly but was visible that this situation was definitely harder for them to. If you value on-time flights, comfort, service and price, avoid TAP Portugal.

TAP Portugal customer review :  18 May 2014 by Cornelia Coser    (Romania)

Budapest - Lisbon - Porto and back. The food was really good and served with metal cutlery not plastic. The seats were good for TAP. I marked entertainment as "fair" but everybody is using tablets, kindles, so this is really not a problem, And most importantly my luggage not only arrived but it was unharmed, which has happened only once in my last six flights and made me really desperate.

TAP Portugal customer review :  9 May 2014 by R Duarte    (Belgium)

TP 619, BRU-LIS, Apr 30 and TP 574, LIS-FRA, May 3. Technically reliable airline, flying a relatively new fleet with generally friendly crews. Hopelessly incapable of flying on time though. Have flown them 8 times since December, only once was the flight on time, otherwise delays varied between 30 and 90 minutes. Moreover, hardly ever info is given to passengers or even an apology. Executive (Business) class is quite comfortable on long-haul flights, but seats in Economy are very uncomfortable and there is basically no space left when the passenger in front of you decides to recline his or her seat. Do not recommend if you value punctuality.

TAP Portugal customer review :  7 May 2014 by J Lynch    (Canada)

Thankfully, this flight was much better than the other reviews had us believe. It was a 3 hour flight to Lisbon from Frankfurt. The staff at check in and onboard were very friendly and full of life. The food and drinks were served efficiently. Very tasty too, but we skipped the octopus! Our seats in row1 on the 319 plane were comfortable, but we weren't looking to sleep. The incline isn't very much. We had our own movies on IPads, as there was no other "entertainment". It was an enjoyable flight.

TAP Portugal customer review :  28 April 2014 by G Justo    (UK)

I haven't flown TAP for over 10 years but have recently decided to try their business class on a flight from London to Recife in Brazil. What a disappointment! Both my flights were delayed and to find the small, overcrowded business lounge at Lisbon airport was a challenge. I had to go through customs and immigration and the TAP ground staff were very unhelpful. The flight experience was very poor. The seats were old fashioned and uncomfortable and the inflight entertainment was very limited. The food was just edible but the staff service was inconsistency and disorganised. A total waste of money and I would not recommend it to anyone.

TAP Portugal customer review :  26 April 2014 by R Deu    (Spain)

LIS-ZAG via BLQ, business. My return flight back within one month. At this occasion more or less the same thing. Uncomfortable seats, where the lumbar part is squeezing you inside. No pitch at all, and the middle seat 01E next to me was occupied even if there were 2 empty seats in row 2 and 3. As it was Easter Thursday some economy pax were upgraded to C, allowing us to have less space as usual. If I compare the 980 euro C class to other carriers, than it is definitely not worth spending that kind of money for the same cabin as economy. The food was one course only and acceptable. Cabin crew service was incompetent, unhelpful and mainly hidden in the rear galley during 5h flight. No welcome drink, no entertainment, no newspapers, no nothing. Fortunately on this occasion I did not pay for the flight, but would never buy such a product by myself. Last but not least, TAP did not find my lost bag from the outbound flight nor did they took any responsibility so far, almost 50 days later!

TAP Portugal customer review :  11 April 2014 by Carvalho Jose    (Germany)

DUS-LIS-DUS and again very nice experience, nice and smiling crews, fair food and beverages. TAP planes are very quiet inside compared to the same Airbus Types used by e.g. Lufthansa. Monitors at least exist, allowing passengers to see the usual movies and the flight routing. Very good value for money. Contrary to others I feel the "old" TAP seats are much more comfortable than the thin new seats used by other airlines. One last remark: The onboard magazine is for sure one of the best throughout the world.

TAP Portugal customer review :  10 April 2014 by Perrin Michel    (Brazil)

LIS-GIG. A330. I am a frequent traveller on this route. We arrived on time (which is not usual). Aircraft had Wi- FI, for a couple of Euros, and staff was smiling. I even saw the Cabin chief working. Food was more than acceptable, and lie-flat bed allowed me to sleep. Unfortunately they insist in serving cheap Portuguese wines.

TAP Portugal customer review :  1 April 2014 by Norman Jules    (UK)

Flew TAP Portugal from LHR to LIS for a long weekend in Lisbon. The price was cheaper then BA. Both flights arrived early to Heathrow what is awesome! The staff was friendly and was served with some lovely Portuguese wine! Cant say anything wrong!

TAP Portugal customer review :  31 March 2014 by S Walford    (Canada)

FNC-LIS on March 28 2014. Efficient check in, friendly flight attendants, reasonably comfortable seats, captain kept us well informed about slight turbulence, on time departure and arrival, an OK sandwich snack was served during this 1.5 hour flight and beverage service, including wine, was generous.

TAP Portugal customer review :  27 March 2014 by A Garrett    (USA)

EWR-OPO-BRU and AMS-LIS-EWR. Was pleasantly surprised by the practicality and quality of this airline. They fly the Newark - Porto route twice/week and the Newark - Lisbon route the remaining 5 days. I paid only $789 for the round trip multi city flight, and although I couldn't pick seats until 24 hours prior to departure, I got window seats both ways and a bulkhead window seat on the return from Lisbon to Newark (11j)! Food was decent/edible, although they were a little stingy on wine and tea/coffee ( they only fill glasses half way and are bad on refills). The A332 from Newark to Porto was newer then the return aircraft, and had touchscreen on demand entertainment with dozens of movies including new releases like 12 yrs a slave and Dallas Buyers Club. The return A332 had personal TVs as well but the movies were on channels 1-16 and started at a set time. Flew Portugalia operated Fokker 100 to Brussels from Porto, which was fine. They served a lox sandwich. Food on the return Lisbon to EWR flight had descent food - fish pie (like shepherds), and a prosciutto sandwich as a snack before landing. All edible, which is how I rate airline food (edible or non-edible).

TAP Portugal customer review :  26 March 2014 by S Kehe    (Germany)

MUC-LIS-MUC. My business trips this year resulted in booking of 6 flights with TAP to Lisbon. These were my very first flights with TAP. I must say they have a nice service from the check in counter to the flight itself. Check in was fair, more easy if the TAP mobile App work, not in my case. Flight attendants were friendly, with two small incidents in two flights. The downside is the aircraft itself, very old, sometimes dirty and no leg room. From those who come from Lufthansa flights with a new, minimal and slim cabin layout, TAP offers a 70's and 80's experience, who is not pleasant on this days. The food was fair and we had slight delays on all flights. I wouldn't recommend this airline, you pay a prime price and receive a service that's already outdated.

TAP Portugal customer review :  21 March 2014 by Perrin Michel    (Brazil)

LIS-FAO-LIS. Business Class. They are selling Business Class with no service and same seats as Economy. On the way to FAO, I had to ask for a cup of water. On the way back, they offered a cup of coffee. In both cases seats were uncomfortable (1F & 1A) no leg room. I just felt robbed.

TAP Portugal customer review :  17 March 2014 by R Deu    (Spain)

ZAG-LIS with stop in BLQ, 11 March 2014. No possibility to select seat online. The business class cabin is exactly the same as economy and the pitch is very narrow. Boarding was on time and we left on time. However the short stop in Bologna was 1 hour, for 48 passengers who boarded. The service was below average. Nothing served on the first leg of 50 minutes. When asked I got a drink and peanuts. The second leg was better with nice selection of food and wine, well presented. However the cabin crew were mostly in the galley chit-chatting, and only taking care of us when strictly necessary. No IFE at all during 5.5 hr flight! We arrived 15 minutes ahead of schedule in Lisbon, but parked in an outside position. It took us more than 30 mins to disembark due to very slow ground service provided. Finally my bag was lost.

TAP Portugal customer review :  14 March 2014 by Risi Thomas    (Switzerland)

Flew from Lisbon to Salvador in Business Class. On the positive, the first meal that was served was excellent and flight attendants (most of them) very friendly and attentive. There was a wide selection of food and good wines (incl. Port Wine). The second meal, a sandwich, was very average: I would not pay 2 Euros for it in a shop. But the main problem is with the seat and the entertainment system: it is all so old that one asks him/herself if it's really worth the 3500 Euros they charge for those flights? I would not fly Business with TAP again until they upgrade their seats and their entertainment system.

TAP Portugal customer review :  11 March 2014 by P Cartwright    (UK)

LIS-LHR on 10th March. Anyway after a seamless check-in there was a structured boarding and coached out to the aircraft. Very friendly welcome on board followed by in flight service of a sandwich, tea/coffee, wine or soft drink. In flight videos were also provided. Left on time and arrived early. As I was on a connecting flight to EDI I was concerned about my baggage transfer at LHR but no problems whatsoever. Good performance all around!

TAP Portugal customer review :  10 March 2014 by Carl Spurling    (UK)

I fly TAP quite frequently between MAN-LIS-FAO. I have always enjoyed the experience, crew are friendly, comfortable seating with complimentary food/drink (including very nice Portuguese red wine if you want). I could fly on one of the LoCo MAN or LPL to FAO direct, and do sometimes, but to fly with TAP in comparison is just so nice, its my first choice. Fares are good also, free hold luggage allowance.

TAP Portugal customer review :  10 March 2014 by Simon Channon    (UK)

LHR-LIS, LIS-FUN return, LIS-LHR. Four flights over six weeks, all on time. Friendly crews, reasonable refreshments, pre-bookable exit row seats. Not so good on the ground - changed flight times to our disadvantage and charged for excess baggage at LHR in Euros, but would only accept payment in sterling at a rip-off exchange rate. Overall, though, would definitely use the airline again.