Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Spirit Airlines
1.5 Star Rating: Very Poor

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 April 2015 by C Buckwalter    (USA)

Standard

My red eye to Phoenix from Chicago was scheduled to arrive at 11pm, it arrived at 2am with a 2 hour layover in Dallas. Return flight was supposed to leave at 12.55am, arriving in Chicago at 8.30am. Because the flight was "late all day" we did not leave until 2.45am. I missed my connecting flight and the only other option was another layover in Denver which also included a 4 hour wait. My final arrival time changed from 8.30am to 5.30pm. Additionally they moved me to first class assuming it would make everything ok, instead it just allowed me to listen to their unprofessional, inexperienced, young staff talk trash about customers inflight. Make sure you realize not only do they charge for checking bags which is also limited to 40lb, not like the standard 50lbs, they charge $40 for carryon. Spirit also charges for even water. Also the seats do not recline. Overall absolutely do not fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 April 2015 by C Lorenz    (USA)

Flew from Cleveland, Ohio to Las Vegas April 19. Spirit exceeded my expectations. Big front seats were great and worth the $55 each. We always buy water and snacks at airport anyway so did not purchase on flight. We always check luggage so I am glad the carry-on people get charged too. Maybe that will stop them from trying to get luggage too big in the overhead compartments. Did not require any assistance from Flight Crew. The seats are tight for a four hour flight but a two hour flight would be ok. Plane was clean and newer. On the way home flight was delayed 45 min. Not a big deal. Same experience on flight home. Printed boarding pass at Spirit kioks-no fee. Bring your own entertainment.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2015 by J Friend    (USA)

Standard

My wife and three kids flew from DFW to Tampa 3 weeks ago for spring break and it was great as expected. We have flown Spirit multiple times to Orlando, LAX, New Orleans, Las Vegas and Denver over the past three years and always plan ahead! I get a chuckle at the amount of complaining people do for their own mistake of not reading in advance the rules and charges that they are agreeing to or ignoring. You have to read the website when you are booking and they tell you the costs up front. Spirit hides nothing, people just need to read or call and ask questions. We always each carry a backpack and prepay for two check ons going and coming. I never pay for a seat assignment and they have always kept our family together on the same row!! Buy in advance when you book and you will save. We don't buy too many things onboard the plane and the crews are always very nice. Thank you Spirit for budget travel for us people who know how you work!!! I will continue to fly Spirit as it is only a means from getting from one point to the next. We will be flying them again this July to Vegas. As an air traffic controller I can tell you the pilots are also very professional and great to work with.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2015 by V Pulitzer    (USA)

Standard

Will never fly Spirit again! Horrible flight. Huge delays. No explanation until after 2 hours with no beverages and seatbelt sign on while sitting on the Tarmac in Atlantic City! Rude gate staff. Absolutely not worth the "savings." "Clerical error", according to the pilot, was the reason why we sat in Atlantic City! Really? Then we weren't even offered a free beverage, not even water! I'm done with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2015 by Renata Pulido    (USA)

Standard

O'Hare Chicago, April 14th 2015, flight 729 and return from Tampa FL, April 22nd 2015, flight 728. My first time flying with Spirit and like many consumers I read reviews, being that there were so many negative ones I was quite nervous, I read all the tips and used them, such as pay for my carry on in advance, check in and print boarding pass the day before. My flight boarded and left on time, I was comfortable, the stewardesses were nice, our flight to Tampa Florida arrived 20 minutes early! Going home was pretty much the same, smooth comfortable flight all on time. We paid a great price and I am very happy.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2015 by B Maddex    (USA)

Standard

Extremely uncomfortable. I am 6' tall with very long legs and my husband is 6'3". I felt like I was in a box. I had the middle seat and couldn't move at all. Thank goodness the seats didn't recline because the person in front of me would have been in my lap. My husband and I shared a large suitcase to avoiding having to pay for 2 bags, but we ended up having to pay extra anyway because the bag was overweight. We will not be flying Spirit anymore. It was not a positive experience.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2015 by R Strain    (USA)

Standard

We paid extra for the large seats, so the Seat was very comfortable. Getting to Vegas wasn't a real problem. On our returning flight we received numerous messages that our flight was being delayed. We get to the Airport about 1.5 hours before they say our flight was leaving and it had changed back to our original time. Very rude and told us it was our fault, we should have shown up at the original time. After speaking with an extremely rude supervisor she got us on the plane. On the way home, the two female flight attendants sat and giggled the whole trip, if we needed anything we had to go ask them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2015 by S Schmitz    (USA)

Big

Classic bait and switch. Found cheapest flight on Orbitz, Spirit came up, $246 round trip to LAX. Checked in on line for boarding pass, $111 dollars extra. If you try to bypass the baggage fees and carry on your luggage, $100 at boarding. They lost my luggage on the return flight home, they just called after two days and said they found my bag. They won't wave the $31 baggage fee, wanted me to pick it up, I said they could deliver it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2015 by J Duquette    (USA)

Standard

I was flying from LAX to Vegas on a Thursday with my friend. This was my first time flying Spirit and I was surprised at how cheap the tickets were. Warning sign #1. I own your typical small black roller carry-on bag that I've had for the past 6 years. It is not bulky or large in any way and I've carried-on with all other airlines without trouble. After jamming it into the clearly too-small "Spirit carry-on size required container", the Spirit attendant told me I would have to check-it. This bag was nowhere near full (it was a 2-day trip) but was a tight fit into their container with about 1 inch showing above the top bar. She then attempted to charge me $75 to check my bag! The round-trip ticket itself wasn't even that much! I began discussing with the attendant my options, and instead of helping she was quite rude and adamant about charging the fee and repeatedly asked me how I would like to pay the $75 (cash or card). This was beyond reasonable in my mind. I was basically stuck paying more than my ticket value to check a standard carry-on that had worked for years on every other airline. Other issues: Flight was late arriving and late to take-off, seats were extremely uncomfortable and rigid, no service provided on-board without a fee of some kind. Will NEVER fly this airline again no matter how cheap it is, I was duped and taken advantage of.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2015 by Rick Suitor    (USA)

Standard

I recently flew on Spirit Airlines from Detroit to Houston round-trip. Besides being late both ways, especially on my return trip. There was no communication to passengers as to why we were delayed for nearly two hours, they charged for everything on the flight including water, they charged for a carry on bag, and I had a couple of gate attendants who didn't speak English well. Others were simply rude to my wife.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2015 by R Mullins    (USA)

Big

I made the mistake of buying Spirit Airline tickets for a flight from Tampa to St Thomas USVI on 08/2015. I did so due to the price until I viewed the requirements after the purchase. You are not allowed any luggage other than personal handbag or backpack for travel free of charge. On top of that the items must meet their requirements of size. My husband and I managed to pack 2 backpacks with what we needed for our week on St. John USVI. Dodged the bullet on that! I upgraded our seats after reading the leg room for a charge of $50 Per Person Per Leg for each of our flights. This amounted an additional $400 for our flights economy out the window. When we finally got on the plane in Tampa we flew to Ft Lauderdale to St Thomas on time and a little less money as everything on the flight requires a payment. Our return flight was an entirely different story. The plane was completely full. A crying baby completely ignored by the mother lasted through the entire 2 hour plus flight. It made getting any rest or talking impossible. Our flight from Ft. Lauderdale was delayed for over 6 hours and equipment was changed. Therefore the Premium seats that I had paid for we not located in the same aisle and therefore we had regular tiny cramped seats. I am 5' 9" tall and have long thighs. My legs were cramped for the entire flight and I could not cross my legs as my knees were jammed against the back of the seat in from of me. We arrived in Tampa very tired hurting and angry. We will never fly spirit airlines again no matter what the cost as with all the extra and charges it actually cost us more than a major airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2015 by Sheryl Putney    (USA)

Standard

I, like many, will never fly Spirit again. Flight from Fort Myers, Fla to Key West delayed for 4 hours with no explanation! Weather was fine. Spirit employees left the desk so there was no one available to answer questions. When someone finally did show up, we asked about arranging for other flights. Told we could not because the "flight wasn't cancelled, just delayed" but couldn't tell us when, or if, we would actually get a flight. Ended up missing a good portion of day 1 of vacation. Book another airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2015 by Laurie McMahon    (USA)

Standard

This was my first time flying with Spirit Airlines and it will also be my last. I'm a frequent traveler and always willing to try something new especially when you might save a few dollars. I booked a flight from Chicago to San Diego. My flight was scheduled to leave at 10.44 am today. At 2am I received a notice that my flight was delayed. I continued to receive emails with the delay time changing so I figured I should head to the airport since it was clear there was something going on regarding my flight. I sat at the airport for 8 hours with my flight time still changing throughout the day. The attendants had no information and would not agree to put us on a flight that would connect to San Diego (Las Vegas) without charging us because they said the flight is coming "it's just late" and to be patient. At 5.30pm the flight was cancelled and now there were no other flights available today that would get us to San Diego. In addition the next flight they could get us on is at 3.30pm tomorrow which doesn't get us into San Diego until 7pm. We have now lost 1.5 days of our vacation at a cost of $700. This airline has the worst customer service I have experienced. They had the opportunity to get us out and would not give it to us and then would not move us to another flight on a different airline because they do not have "partner airlines." Families are traveling to see their loved ones and are paying a great deal to take these vacations and entrust the airlines to take responsibility when things go wrong. I will never use this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2015 by Erik Johnson    (USA)

Standard

Flight 199 on April 8 and flight 292 on April 11. I will never fly this airline again! They charge you 50 to 100 extra dollars to take a carry-on, plus all kinds of other fees to fly. Buyer beware! I just wish I could give this airline a negative number. Yes, it's that bad. Fly the other airlines. It will cost you less in the long run. Seats don't even recline!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 April 2015 by G Hung    (USA)

Standard

I decided to try them out because of their low airfare, but only to find out about all these hidden fees! They charge you for just about everything, checked bags, carry-on bags, seat assignments, checking in at the counter, and food and snacks onboard. All these things add up to the airfare, so what's the point of even having the fare being that low? So, if you really want to save money with them, might as well fly empty handed (no bags), go hungryand thirsty, and fly standing up (no assigned seats)! I just flew with them from Los Angeles to Houston on 10/10/14, and getting there was fine, despite all these hidden fees and not getting any drinks or snacks. But on the returning flight to LA on 10/12/14, they kept announcing that the flight was being delayed due to weather. The plane could not land in Houston, so it was diverted to Dallas. The weather was fine! The original departure time out of Houston was 4.46 pm, and because the plane had landed in Dallas, we had to wait for it to arrive in Houston. So, they announced that it would be delayed until 5.26, and then 6.26, and then 6.56, and then 7.53. Finally, after all this waiting, they announced that the flight was cancelled! When they announced the flight cancellation, we all had no choice but to rebook on another flight. After being in the long line to rebook, they said the earliest available flight would not be until two days later! I decided that I had it with Spirit Airlines, and took the refund. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 April 2015 by Lawrence G Hart    (USA)

I was charged an extra $100 at the gate after the ticket desk told me my small bag would be OK. My bag measured 12 inches by 17 inches. After boarding, the seats are so tight I could hardly move. I am an average man (6ft, 185lbs). A small cup of water was $3 and with a tiny bag of peanuts $5. The passengers were repeatedly solicited to purchase their credit card. This airlines should be avoided at all costs and I personally will never fly Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2015 by F John    (USA)

Standard

Checking in on a 5.15 am flight took 40 minutes waiting in line. There was only one check-in person these first 30 minutes with a line about 50 deep. A flight to Myrtle Beach will always have dozens of sets of golf clubs to be checked in. This should be accommodated for. The last 10 minutes of my waiting a second check-in worker became available. On my return flight back to Logan Airport after midnight we passengers had to wait one hour and five minutes on the plane before deboarding. The reason? The (one and only??) person responsible for operating the jet bridge called in sick according to the pilot. No coverage was found. The "supervisor" needed to be awoken from home to come to the airport to operate the jet bridge. The smaller and less comfortable, non reclining seats and little leg room multiplied the bad accommodation. My first and last flights using Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2015 by Dorothy Pasikowski    (USA)

Standard

Terrible experience. Somehow when we booked my family of 4 together, they were placed onto 2 different confirmation codes. We were unable to check the kids in because they are minors. So, we arrive at the Detroit airport 1 hour before check-in. Lines seem not that long, but it became clear that it was not moving. People were cutting the line because they knew they would be denied boarding if they were a minute late. I went over to 2 ladies that were checking in bags and asked for help because we were getting very close to that deadline! They said I had to wait like everyone else. Well, of course we were helped and it was a minute too late and the lady said "Sorry, kids can't board!" I was not happy and started to speak quite loudly about the customer service, it ended up taking one lady 2 seconds to print out their boarding passes! She said good luck if you miss it come back. Never again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2015 by Hiren Parikh    (USA)

Standard

Apr 2, flight 235. Apr 9, flight 218. A rip off airline. They can charge you for everything under the sun. The extra charges are not disclosed at the time you buy the tickets. The service is very average. It is so disappointing to see that this is allowed in a great country like ours. I would never travel Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2015 by Aimee Kauffman    (USA)

Standard

Our family was bumped (we purchased tickets months ago) after we were waiting to board the plane. They had already loaded our luggage and there was no way to get it back. We had to go all the way back to ticket area (with two kids in tow) find how we going get out of Orlando and back to Detroit. We had to talk to 4 different people before we were put on another flight. And they did nothing to make it right. All we got was a lousy "sorry for the inconvenience". Too many extra charges, cramped seating and unhelpful staff.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 April 2015 by Nancy Schaecher    (USA)

Standard

N8986Z, Flight 293, Mar 26, 2015. Flight 360, Mar 31, 2015. Had a great trip because I knew what to expect. I had a backpack, no carry on, printed out my boarding pass before going to the airport. It was only a two hour flight but I ate and drank before I boarded. I am 5'2" so the seats were comfortable. Entertained myself with my iPad. There were a lot of kids but the parents were on top of the situation and kept the kids calm.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2015 by R Anisya    (USA)

Standard

Flew round trip Kansas City - Chicago last week with my family and had good experiences on both flights. Cons: Standard seats don't recline (but it was okay for us since it was only an hour flight each way) and it doesn't look like the plane was cleaned between flights, there were crumbs on the floor and some trash in the seat pockets. Pros: Flights were on time, nice flight attendants (on our way home, after learning that my son wasn't feeling well, one of the flight attendant gave him ginger ale, for free). The low cost (even with paying for checking in our baggage and buying some drinks for the kids, we still saved at least a couple of hundreds).

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2015 by Susan Carolus    (USA)

Standard

I tried it, and I have to say, I fly frequently, and if I had to walk barefoot in the ice and snow, I would do it just so I don't have to ever fly Spirit again. It was ridiculous that we had to pay $631. which included a rental car. Then when we got to the airport they charged us $90 dollars for two bags, and were going to charge us another $10 each for our boarding passes unless we used the kiosks. During the flight from BWI to DFW the seating was horrible, they were the most uncomfortable and narrow seats I've sat in. I am so sorry that the answers have to appear to be answered. One star was not deserved. By the way, on our return flight we were supposed to take from E33, which we did, after it was changed to E32 and back and the changes were not announced until after the plane began to load.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2015 by Jevonah Khakbaz    (USA)

Big

I'm sitting on my plane waiting now 40 minutes for take off to Los Angeles from Las Vegas. The flight is 56 minutes total but I've been waiting 40 minutes because of a delay and I understand that. But why can't I get water while I wait? The attendants on this plane refused me water twice when I asked. I just want to get home already and I'm dehydrated!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2015 by Mary Taylor    (USA)

Big

Horrible service, poor customer service. The stewards and stewardess that were on flight Houston, TX to Los Angeles, California on March 20, 2015 - 3.24pm, were awful. There were too many hidden fees. Will never travel with you again. Too many charges for simple nuts and water.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 April 2015 by W Brown    (USA)

Standard

I am sitting in the boarding area as I write this review. Spirit has succeeded in overbooking a flight to Tampa for the Easter weekend. My family purchased these tickets last August (2014). We had hoped to have a great Spring Break with the kids. Now my family of 4 is being bumped to tomorrow. This is unbelievable and unacceptable. I would never ever fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 April 2015 by V Cover    (USA)

Standard

Cancun-DFW, flight 0748, on 3/29/15, DFW-Denver flight 0719 on 3/29/15. I felt Spirit was OK in general, but they still hide fees. After decades of flying, certain processes seem to be second nature for most travelers and you tend to assume things will be familiar, however, Spirit makes baggage and seat assignments more costly than you would think even if you read all the 'fine print'. While I picked the cheapest option for checked baggage, nowhere did I see that Spirit's weight limit is 40 pounds per bag, or about 20% less than the industry standard of 50 pounds. This resulted in bigtime overweight charges on all of my family's bags. The seat assignment fee was a bigger surprise. You assume that choosing 'better' seats will cost more (up front, more legroom, first class) but Spirit did not let me select seats until we were confirming within 24 hours of our flights, and only then did it became apparent that you have to pay for any seat that you want assigned! So if you want your family of five all together, and not spread around randomly, you need to pay for each and every seat, even if it is the poorest seat on the plane! You have to pay for every leg and pay the rate for whatever seats are left, which might be the most expensive on the plane. So, for the family of 5, on a connecting flight, you could pay $400 or more to just get the privilege of sitting together.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 March 2015 by Lori Kelchner    (USA)

Standard

Booked through a well known agency online for a extended weekend from Phila to Myrtle Beach SC. After reading everything on website about 40 lb weight requirement, minimal size carry on, paying and picking own seats, printing out the boarding passes, we already thought the cheaper flight was not worth the aggravation! Only to drive 1.5 hrs to Phila Airport to find out the flight was cancelled without any notification, no apology, or little assistance on getting another flight, as TSA watched us during the ordeal, I would never recommend this airline to anyone. The lower upfront cost is deceitful when you start adding in the "etxras" seat price, boarding pass price, luggage. Their lack of customer service and compassion on the loss of vacation and money made the whole ordeal worse. I would never fly Spirit Airlines!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 March 2015 by Amelia Van Handel    (USA)

Standard

I will never fly Spirit Airlines again. Their motto is "You only pay for the services you use", but what they actually mean is, "You pay a deceptively low price when you purchase your ticket, and then we charge you for everything that everyone uses in sneaky ways that therefore make your flight more expensive than any other airline." Want to print your boarding pass at the airport? $10.00. Want a water on the plane? $5.00. Want to check a bag on the plane? The cheapest that gets is $30 for the first bag, and $40 for the second bag, but that is only if you can figure out how to sign up online to check bags ahead of time. If you register for checked bags at the airport, it now costs $50 per bag. Oh, and there is no such thing as a carry-on bag for this airline. If it is bigger than a backpack, you have to check it. And if they fail to tell you that your backpack is too big to be considered a "personal item" and make you check the bag at the gate? Now it costs $100. If you call their customer service to help you jump through all of these ridiculously complicated hoops, you will be on hold for 20 minutes, followed by a conversation with a person who refers you to their website, where you have already been trying unsuccessfully to register an account. Then, when you tell them that, they will "lose the connection", even though you are calling them from a land line. Which would be understandable, if it didn't happen twice, from two separate phones. They have gotten their last dollar out of me.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2015 by J Burgess    (Canada)

Standard

The last two times I have travelled with Spirit, I have had my flight cancelled and been left stranded. This last trip was my final one as it was just one upsetting incident after another. The first incident started with me being forced to purchase another return flight home for my wife after her original was cancelled by the airline even though I personally called a customer service representative and was told that would not happen. The last straw was being stranded on Sunday night and told by the pilot that it was against FAA rules to take off because of the runway lighting at MYR and yet, 4 other planes departed behind us. The pilot lied to all of us and inconvenienced all 180 passengers on board. We should have been able to fly home if the pilot actually cared about customer service similar to what you might find with other companies such as WestJet or Delta. Sadly, Spirit does not care about it's customer.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2015 by Charles Wagner    (USA)

Standard

The flight was 3 hours late due to snow in Chicago. I can live with that. What I won't accept is that once we landed we sat waiting for a gate for over an 1.5 hours. Then after a number of excuses the stewardess tells us that we better put our seat belts on or it will be our fault we don't get to the gate first. The 100 bucks I saved flying Spirit wasn't worth the time I lost. I could have almost driven back from Denver to Chicago in the time I spent waiting for the plane, waiting for a gate, and than waiting for my luggage with Spirit. When we finally got to where the gates were we saw plenty of them open. Could it be that Spirit only has 1 or 2 gates at O'Hare? The stewardess kept telling us all the airlines were waiting. I don't care about the other airlines I just cared about the one I was on.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2015 by K O'Neill    (USA)

Standard

CHI to DEN. Stay away from this airline. The seats hurt, no comfort at all. Even a 2 hour flight was hard for me. No matter what seat you end up in, your done for. Aisle seat, everyone will bump in to you, middle seat your not going to move, and the window, don't even think about getting out to go to the bathroom. The service was bad as well, they tried to push their credit card the whole flight. Pay the extra money to fly somewhere else.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2015 by Shirley Cloutier    (USA)

Standard

I have traveled around the world and back, used many airlines in the process. The flight I took on March 9th with 2 other friends was the worst. We all took what would be acceptable as carryon's. Not realizing that the size you consider as a carryon is a lunch box. Arriving at the security gate, the person there told my other 2 travelers that both their bags were not considered carry-on's and had to go to the desk to pay for them. That same lady told me that mine was acceptable to carry on the plane. I waited for them and they were told that if I had purchased the carry-on bag online the fee would have been $30.00. Not doing that, they were charged $45.00. When I arrived at the gate to board, I was stopped and told I had to pay for my bag. After telling them of my experience at the security gate, they were quite rude and didn't care. Now because I didn't pay on-line or at the security gate, I was told the fee was $100. Again insane for a duffle bag that could actually fit under my seat! We not only paid $190 more for luggage going, but we paid online another $90 coming back. We went from Fort Lauderdale to Las Vegas and back for a total of $1003.00 for 3 of us. I could have gone US Airways for under $900. The plane was uncomfortable, very cramped and dirty. They even charge you $2.00 for a cup of coffee, anyone who flies knows how small that cup of coffee is. We did get the water for free after we made a fuss about it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2015 by P Tomi    (USA)

Standard

At first the service was nice because they did not charge extra for our luggage, but then everything went downhill. The flight was first delayed by an hour, and later three hours and then cancelled. We were sent out of the terminal to get our "new" tickets to other airlines, but no one knew what they were doing. We stood for two hours in a line that did not move, and no one could help us. Every other airline would've let us keep the same tickets. Then after two hours we left and booked new flights on the next day, on a different airline of course. No real service, 1.5 stars is too much for this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2015 by Patty Jerde    (USA)

Standard

This airline in not worth the "cheap" tickets. We left over 1.5 hours late, no explanation as to why, we arrived late to our destination, had to sit on the ground for over 20 minutes because there was not a gate to taxi to, absolutely no leg room, and far too cramped. Getting your luggage was a joke. Slow and not very efficient (waited 30 minutes for it to begin being delivered to baggage claim). We will never fly with Spirit Air again nor recommend them to anyone. Food or beverage, forget it, they charge for everything, luggage is only 40 pounds or it will cost you extra. You are only allowed a small carry on or you get charged.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2015 by John Igers    (USA)

Standard

We will never fly Spirit again. We chose Spirit because of schedule. Checking our bags was a blow: $45.00 per bag. We've never paid more than $25. My knees were jammed into the back of the seat in front of me. The attendants came around once in 3.5 hours to "sell" liquid refreshments. Once that trip was made, the attendants huddled together at the front of the plane to talk among themselves with little attention given to the passengers. Even if you have nothing to do, don't hold a party and give the impression you're not attending. What Spirit may have given with the right hand by way of a cheaper fare, it took with the left hand by way of fees for everything. The impression was one of cheapness and being squeezed for every penny. Attendants and pilots (some) ought to be schooled in proper diction and clarity when making PA announcements. Impossible to hear. Flight #325 from Mpls - Phoenix 3/9/15 and Flight 345 3/15/15 Phoenix-Mpls.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2015 by A Ruiz    (USA)

Standard

We (3) flew round trip from Philadelphia to Las Vegas on March 18-21. Although the outbound flight was late, I have no way of knowing where the delay initiated so I can't assume it was Spirit fault. I chose Spirit because it was non stop. Other similar priced flights had one stop. If you book online they make it quite clear why they are cheap and what you can do to save money. They give you packing tips, measurements requirements, and constant reminders: it's bare fare. If you are an informed consumer you know you are getting what you pay for and not a penny more. Flight attendant outbound was incredibly entertaining from the moment the flight started. It was like getting a mini Vegas act. Flight attendants both ways were always professional and polite. Food was pricey but you can bring your own if you're counting pennies. Didn't use the bathrooms. Leg space limited for 6'2" son but ok for us.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2015 by K Milner    (USA)

Standard

I flew with Spirit Airlines this past week for the first time. I was extremely nervous from the reviews. I was traveling with kids and I only was going to Florida for 4 nights. I was prepared and read up on all reviews and read the Spirit website so I had knowledge of everything. There would be no surprises. I realize now that everyone who complained did not read the website. I printed boarding passes at home so I would not be charged at airport. Went straight to gate. I packed light so no bags were checked so no cost. Have a bag with the correct dimensions. Boarded on time and landed early. The food on plane was not that expensive, I looked at menu but didn't buy. Bought stuff for plane already. Its not a super fancy plane my seat reclined. I'm 5'7" and the legroom isn't there really but I had the flight pick my seats on website at no cost and luckily we were still put together. Like they mention on website you get what you pay for. Had a great experience returning also. I will fly with them again if the price is right! IAH to FLL direct!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2015 by Kathi Earles    (USA)

Standard

On 3/20/15, I flew on flight NK 403 from Atlanta, Georgia to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Upon arrival, the flight attendant instructed the passengers that in order to not be detained in the plane, we needed to exit the plane within 4 minutes or risk having to wait upon an 800 passenger plane to unload. The passengers, including an 8 week old newborn, elderly couple, and 2 disabled passengers began to unload and were subsequently detained in the 80 degree jetway for approximately 20 minutes with no communication from the crew while the exit to the terminal was blocked. The jetway was extremely hot, unstable, and overcrowded with passengers while the crew made no attempt to provide an explanation or assistance.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 March 2015 by C Fernandez    (USA)

Standard

Spirit claims to be less expensive then you are hit with hidden fees, one right after another, carry on luggage fee $45 (each way), plus just to select a standard seat online you are charged up to $25 (each way)! The plane is dirty. If you have to call customer service, be prepared to hold for at least 30 min before getting anyone on the phone and don't expect to get an answer. Do expect to get rushed off the phone. There is no inflight entertainment option either.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 March 2015 by M Fritz    (USA)

Standard

We were originally lured to Spirit by their low bare-bones fares. The $25 here and there and $70 annual fee to obtain their low price discount, along with smelly, dirty, uncomfortable planes is no longer tolerable. Our last flight from Phoenix to Chicago was nearly 4.5 hours late on departure. Spirit gave no advance warning of the delay so we essentially had to camp out all night at the airport. The 2/4/15 flight was supposed to depart at 12.55 am, but left at 5.20 am. Spirit kept stringing us along at the airport, trickling out delay after delay. Staff was generally unavailable and discourteous. This is not a value proposition that interests us and we warn others to stay away.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 March 2015 by Villaruel Matt    (USA)

Standard

Had a round trip flight from Kansas City to Las Vegas. I took one small carry on bag, small enough to fit under the seat. The ticket says you have to pay $50 at the counter or $100 at the gate. So I went to the counter and the lady there said I didn't need to pay the $50 since the bag was small enough. Great, I went to the gate and got to Las Vegas no problems. On the return trip with the exact same bag, I went to the automatic Kiosk and checked in. At the gate I was stopped and informed I needed to pay $100 or leave my bag. I explained my story and she said she didn't care what the Kansas City folks said and I could pay the $100 or leave my bag. I understand the charge and would have paid the $50 at the counter but felt I got extorted at the gate. What choice do you have, leave your bag or pay $100?

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by R Miller    (USA)

Standard

I decided to fly Spirit because it was cheap and it had a direct flight to my destination. However, this was something that I greatly regret after loosing 1.5 days of my vacation after my flight was cancelled due to a mechanical issue. They also would not pay for a hotel and multiple people flying on my original flight had a flight 2-3 days after we were supposed to leave. The money saved by the cheaper flight was spent on a hotel and food. You would be better off paying to fly with a more reputable company. In addition I also heard many people complaining about the airline (that were not on my flight) when I had a connection that was required to get me to my destination a day late instead of my original non-stop flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by P Jerde    (USA)

Standard

First we were over 1.5 hours late for take off from the Minneapolis, then had to sit for over 20 minutes on the ground in Fort Lauderdale due to not having a gate because of our late departure. They charge you for every little thing. Not enough leg room, if you bag is a half a pound over 40 pounds, you get charged. All other airlines have a 50 pound limit. Leaving Fort Lauderdale, again late taking off to MSP. Waited forever for our bags at the airport. I would never fly this airline again and would not recommend them to anyone. Low cost, what a joke, especially after you add all the extra charges for everything.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by Lupe Luque    (USA)

Standard

First time flying with Spirit airlines. Last minute flight from Minneapolis/St Paul MN to Los Angeles for a funeral. Availability of times dates was good. Price was half of all other airlines. No problems or delays on initial flight. Staff were genuinely good. No hidden fees as people report. No free food but option to buy or carry on. Seating was comfortable, plane was clean and staff thanked us for cleaning up after ourselves. Remember you chose Spirit because you were flying for half the fair! Small setback on way back, we had a delay but good communication via schedule monitor and staff announcements. Plane staff courteous and even apologized for delay and thanked us for flying and patience for the delay. I would recommend and might fly Spirit again in future.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by Ronald Grein    (USA)

Big

Our return flight from Chicago to Denver, March 1, 2015, Flight 853 was canceled after being delayed 1.5 hours. The sad part was that the pilots for that flight were waiting with us. The younger of the two was talking to scheduling to swap to the flight to Phoenix Arizona that was at a gate but waiting for pilots. They changed to the Phoenix flight and ten minutes after our flight was canceled because it didn't have any pilots. We were told to go back to the ticket counters and rebook our flight because they couldn't do anything at the gate. 1 hour and 15 minutes (11.30pm) later we were told our only flight back was the same flight the next day (24 hours) they would not look to book anyone on another airline, they would only book Spirit flights. We needed to get back to Denver and were forced to rent a car (at a cost of $499.99) and drive for 16 hours straight. The refund for our tickets wasn't 1/2 of the cost of the round trip and was $20 short. Spent 2 hours on the phone with customer service and got nowhere. Remember, it's only a deal if they provide services like all the others. If they don't, you're just getting ripped off.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by David Givans    (USA)

Big

In the last month I've flown Spirit 3 times and another in a week. All from Houston to ATL, KC and Tampa. Yes they do charge $10 to pick your seat and the seats are rather uncomfortable, when you compare pricing you will find that after you have checked 1 bag per person and have paid the random fees most airlines charge you they come out a lot cheaper. I recommend you print your passes before you get to the airport as they charge for every little thing if you need anything. My first flight the flight attendants were excellent, they had a very funny safety presentation. That flight I flew in the base seats and it was rather uncomfortable. After my ATL flight I decided to upgrade to the big seats up front. They were very comfortable and very roomy. They are worth it. My flight to KC was delayed 2 hours. I joined the $9 fare club which paid for itself the first flight as I save an average of $40 per flight on tickets and luggage. I will say that there is merit to some of the bad reviews above but if you want or need to fly cheap Spirit is a quality airline and as I said before I read before I buy and Spirit has an average airline fleet age of 4.5 years which is 10 years less than the more popular airline. They do allow you to move seats next to your party after take off if you don't get seated next to your party. I booked my latest flight to Tampa for 8 people a week ago 2 weeks before travel and for 8 people, 5 in the big chairs and 3 in the small seats it was around $1100.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by F Sipidias    (Canada)

Standard

This was the first time I flew with Spirit. We flew to Fort Lauderdale from Niagara on Feb 25 with no issues. Everything went smoothly. However, on the way back on Mar 3, the flight got cancelled due to bad weather after several delays. We were lucky enough to get another flight 2 days later (due to me running to the ticket counter once the fight was cancelled) but some people couldn't get a flight until Mar 9 and 10. Thankfully, we had a place to stay for another 2 days. When we returned to the airport on Mar 5, everything went really smoothly. Flight was on time and we had an excellent counter service rep who was friendly and pleasant. We were on flight 416 and all the staff were so friendly and welcoming. Additional comments: Leg room was too tight. I'm 5'8" and my knees were right up against the seat in front of me. Headrest didn't have the flaps that turned in, so was very difficult for try and rest if you are in the middle seat. But for the price and for a flight under 3 hrs, it's manageable.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by Carole Lindsey    (USA)

Standard

Seats were uncomfortable and did not recline. Everything is extra, choosing a seat, beverages, carry on luggage not conforming to very strict guidelines, higher charge than other airlines for checked luggage with a 40 lb. weight restriction - 10 lbs. less than others. When you consider all the extra expenses, the price we paid for our trip to Florida was no lower than other airlines. When my son saw our flight itinerary and noted that we needed to fly from Kansas City to Detroit before flying south to Florida, he said I hope you're saving a bunch of money - nope.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by L Weeks    (USA)

Standard

I have flown many different airlines as I always choose the cheapest. I booked this flight on Spirit, my first time, through a third party travel agency. I was first surprised by the $10 fee to get a boarding pass at the counter but I let it go. But then the fees. I was never warned by the site or Spirit site about the carry on bag fees. So I was shocked when I heard an announcement that those in a later zone had 2 minutes to pay $50 for a carry on bag or else they would be charged $100! I kid you not, $100 for a carry-on! I could not believe how I had been tricked! I asked the spirit service counter what they do if someone literally does not have the money - she mentioned it does happen and so they cancel that person's current ticket and give them until the next flight to find the money! Unbelievable! Spirit Airlines has nothing but a spirit of corruption, deceit, and greed. My family and my friends agreed we will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by Odeli Castillo    (USA)

Standard

On a short business trip, I was delayed about 4 times by the airline, with multiple changes of gate, and very minimal notification they were doing this to the passengers. Everyone was very upset, and complaining, however the airline offered no more than an apology and hope that we would continue to fly with them in the future. Now on my way home, all passengers were all deboarded from the plane due to mechanical plane concerns they had before takeoff. Although I agree with "better safe than sorry", this airline should have been pertinent and professional enough to have dealt with this problem prior to boarding. As we all wait to retrieve our original tickets from the one spirit employee calling out 300 names with no microphone, people like myself are at the risk of missing connecting flights. Shame on Spirit for even considering themselves a decent airline. Time is precious. Time = Money, and as cheap as their tickets are, it would have been way worth my money to go with any other airline. I plan to do this from now on.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by Chin Nancy    (USA)

Standard

On Feb 5, my friend and I took a flight from BOS to PBI. I paid $30 online for my checked bag. When I got to the counter, we were informed that our tennis racquets were beyond the height limitations at Spirits and that I would have to pay $55 and have my racquet checked. My friend has to pay extra as well. So I paid $208 one way to fly to PBI. All other airlines that I have flown allow us to carry on our racquets. My friend flew back to BOS on Feb 8. She paid online to check her racquet. When she boarded, two passengers had their racquets on board as carry ons. Needless to day, I did not fly Spirit back to BOS.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by Samuel Fick    (USA)

Standard

About 3 weeks ago I set out on my trip home from LAX-PHI. I had one layover in Vegas, shouldn't have been a big deal due to great traveling weather for this time of year. My layover was supposed to be about 3 hours but ended up being 7 hours due to complications with the airplane. Due to the delay Spirit were nice enough to give out meal vouchers. When I got up to the desk to claim my voucher I noticed it was for 7 bucks, what can you buy in an airport for 7 bucks? Finally once we boarded they came around and asked what our drink orders were, I asked for a cup of water without ice. When they brought me my cup of water they asked for 3 bucks. I told them I didn't want the water. After spending a few days back home it was time for me to fly back to LA. I arrived at the airport at 8.30pm for my flight just to find out it was cancelled. I rescheduled the flight for the next day at the same time and went back home (because I lived within 2 hours of the hotel they couldn't put me up in a hotel). The next day I figured I would check my flight status before heading to the airport and good thing I did because once again my flight was cancelled. I called their service desk and worked with a travel agent who was the only bright spot of my encounter with Spirit. After about 30 minutes of trying to get me back to California he told me there was nothing he could do except refund me for the one way trip. So I took the refund and booked a one way home with Southwest. Do not fly with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by M Collins    (USA)

Standard

We were booked on a flight from Las Vegas to Portland. Our flight was delayed 3 times. After being told that our plane had boarded its last location and was on the way, they cancelled our flight. Cue the mass of 300 people storming the desk. With 6 attendants, one attendant was handling our flight, while the rest took care of their other flights. We waited in line for 3 hours! In the meantime, my husband called their 1-800 number and got nowhere. They told us they could not give us a new flight that wasn't Spirit (the next day at 4pm) and no hotel/taxi/food. So we waited. No announcements about progress, and no more than one attendant for most of the night. When we finally arrived at the desk, the attendant reprimanded us for not getting to the front sooner for an earlier flight-it was our fault that we weren't at the front of the line! I understand that flight cancellations are not the fault of the desk attendants. It was very frustrating that they wouldn't let us know what was going on. We got in line at 7:45 pm and didn't leave the airport until 11.00pm. Rumors were flying about flights and it was confusing. We were exhausted and completely unhappy with the level of service we received. I will never fly Spirit Airlines.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards