Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Spirit Airlines
1.5 Star Rating: Very Poor

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by A Rowell    (USA)

Standard

LAX to San Jose, Costa Rica with a layover in Ft. Lauderdale. The worst experience on all fronts. Checked-in at the counter as I wasn't sure if my bag was one that I would have to pay for. He told me that as long as I put my purse in my carry-on and only had one item, I would be fine. I showed him my bag and he confirmed that I would not be charged for it. However, when boarding in Ft. Lauderdale, I was stopped by one of their employees who asked me if I paid for my bag. I told her no, she asked me if I had used the overhead compartment on my way there and I said, yes. She informed me that if I planned to use an overhead bin then I would need to pay them $100 immediately or I would not be able to bring my bag on my flight. I ended up paying the $100 in order to board my flight and I was made to feel like the whole thing was my fault - it was terrible. On the way back home, my friend and I decided to go online the night before as we were told that if we pay online, we only have to pay $30. When we went to pay, their website told us that we were not eligible to make payments at that time. So we still ended up having to pay $50 at the airport check in. Even if that baggage fiasco hadn't happen, this flight still would have been awful. The seats are the airline equivalent of plastic picnic chairs and you have to pay for water (even if your flight is 5hrs long). Coming home from San Jose, after going through security, my friend decided to fill her plastic water bottle so that she could have a little for the flight. Before boarding, they announced that they were going to re-search our bags and that we would have to dump out all liquids that we were carrying, my friend didn't think that they would actually prevent her from bringing airport water on to the flight but when they checked her bag they told her she either had to dump it or chug it. She chugged it. It is clear that every thing Spirit does is an extra attempt to take more money from you. I understand that they offer affordable flights but it is not worth all of the extra out-of-pocket cash and stress that they cause. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by A Nelson    (USA)

Standard

I am pretty mixed about Spirit Airlines. They don't support Military or Elderly discounts, so me being Military going home on leave, I had to spent a lot of money for four bags. That was horrible, and then they "nickel and dime" you for everything and anything extra. The seats weren't all that pleasant when it came to comfort but they were more spacious than other airlines surprisingly. I did get to my destination on time and I got all my luggage. Overall, I would not recommend this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Ruth Botz    (USA)

Standard

Detroit to Lima with my husband and 3 year old baby, good service, employees were nice. When I returned I did have 2 changes in my itinerary, but was a nice experience. I will use this airline again. No food and beverages, but we took food in our carry-on bag. No Inflight Entertainment but I took my baby's DVD player for keep him busy. We did exactly what they requested and we didn't have to pay any extra money.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by R Sublett    (USA)

Standard

How is this airline in business? Low airfare attracts people who travel with children and there were lots of them on my flight. New Orleans to Ft. Lauderdale, 5 hours late. Concessions at the airport had been closed on our concourse for 4 hours by the time the airplane arrived. The staff would not even give the kids a drink of water unless mom or dad shelled out $3 bucks. There is a difference between being a discount no frills airline and a cheap one. Spirit is just cheap. So if you like flying with people that have five kids they do not control, if you like missing connecting flights or arriving very late, by all means fly Spirit. You will not see me there. And by the way, no matter what, the staff will always tell you the delay is "weather" related.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by M Wyszynska    (USA)

This is by far the worst airline I have ever had the displeasure of flying. When I flew to Boston less than a month earlier with Delta the experience was great, unfortunately this time Spirit airlines has made not want to travel for a long time to come. When I flew with Delta the flight left and arrived at the same airports yet it was 100$ less with Delta. Also a carry on, drinks and snacks were all complimentary with Delta. With Spirit a carry on (not check in, that's more) costs 50$ each way if you pay online and $100 each way if you pay at the gate, a small water bottle costs 3$ and poor quality snacks even more. The worst part was when I checked the flight status before heading to the airport the flight said on time. When I got here I found out that it would be almost 6 hours late. Even now over an hour and a half after the scheduled departure time the Spirit airlines website is still showing that the flight is on time. When Delta left late they apologized and offered complimentary drinks and snacks while we waited, Spirit airline hardly has an attendant at the counter and when he is here he's on the phone making personal calls.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Nefdavid Torres    (USA)

Big

Spirit has no standard operating procedures. I traveled from Houston to Orlando from Sept. 6th to Sept. 10th. I had the típica carry on suitcase that fits on the overhead compartment. Leaving Houston I was able to get on the plane free of charge. When I got to the gate at the Orlando Airport I was notified that I had to pay for the bag. I expressed to the gate supervisor that I was not charge at Houston airport and questioned him as of why I had to pay. He expressed that it was not their fault that Houston was not doing their job properly. He had no empathy towards me and or the couple that had the same situation beside me.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Sussex Paul    (USA)

Standard

Hands down the worst airline I have every flown on - small seats and horrible customer service. Marketing and charges are deceptive and intended to confuse. Never fly with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Raisa Brocco    (USA)

Standard

I traveled from Ft Lauderdale to Detroit and the flight was fine, uncomfortable airplane but for the price what can you do. On the way back to Fort Lauderdale the flight was delayed for 3 hours? I will never flight with Spirit again, even with free tickets!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by A Bonomo    (USA)

Big

Ft. Lauderdale, Sep 4, flight 657 to New Orleans and departed Flight 680, Sep 5 from New Orleans to Ft.Lauderdale. This airline is the worst. I have flown many airlines and have never had such a bad flying experience. The staff were very rude and all the unexpected fees doubled my price. It is no savings with a small carry on at $50 dollars and if I want to sit by my child had to pay $18 dollars for seats together. So my payment went up $136 each way.. not so great the plane smelled fowl and seats are cramped and very uncomfortable. Make sure you book a massage the next day, you will need it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Evans Yolanda    (USA)

Standard

I am normally an American Airlines passenger and vowed to never stray from them. However, when planning my trip to Vegas from Dallas Spirit had the best arrival time and departure time for me. So, I decided to give Spirit a try. I, as well as others, heard a lot of negative things about Spirit, but I like to try things out for myself and give my own opinion of the airline. I must say I did read all there were to read about Spirit so that I wouldn't be caught with unexpected "price" surprises. I must say that even though the flight was tight as far as room I enjoyed the airline. Yes, they do charge for choosing more leg rooms, luggage, and snacks, but overall it was worth the money that I paid. Checking in and checking baggage were no problem. Spirit also sent emails informing me of my flight status. I just might give them a try again for my future trip.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by Raj Banerjee    (USA)

Standard

Not sure how this airline is still around with the abysmal service and ridiculous delays. Flight to Chicago from Boston two days ago delayed by 3 hours. Today the return flight is delayed for three and a half and counting. Not weather delay mind you. Please avoid this airline. Not worth the meagre fare savings.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by Francois East    (Canada)

Standard

Economy flight is economy service, do not expect US Airways first class service for a fraction of the price. Seats are uncomfortable, no entertaining system in the headrest, no free drinks, user payer system, bare fare, smaller size and lighter weight allowance for luggage. There is still an economy. We had the choice driving down to Florida from Quebec with two young kids and two adults for holiday, or flying from Plattsburgh and rent a car. There was only a $200 total difference counting meals and motels plus 6 days of driving back and forth. So we took this. Expect a slow service and read all user rules and conditions and you will be satisfied. For sure if you do not read that the registered item is max 40 pounds and you bring a 45 pounds item you will be charged with no exceptions because its cheaper for the rest. Read what you agree to buy before buying and there will be no or not many complains.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by F G Ross    (USA)

Standard

My wife and I flew Spirit from Las Vegas to Houston Texas in Feb 2014. It was so cramped, it felt like we were in a sardine can. I just read in the news that Spirit is the cheapest on leg room in the entire industry and that on an Airbus 320 they pack 178 passengers into the plane while United only packs in 138 passengers. Spirit charge for everything. We will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by A Ellis    (USA)

Standard

Flight 484, DFW to PHL, 8/28/14. Flight 215, PHL to DFW. 9/2/14. We had a good experience with Spirit Airlines. Some people only see that they "nickel and dime" you, but the truth is they gave a reduced price so that all the other things can be optional. We liked the plane we flew going out to Philadelphia and coming back to Dallas too! It was great and one of the things I liked most was the great customer service from the crew.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by William McCall    (USA)

My wife and I booked a round trip flight from New Orleans to Fort Lauderdale, Florida to take a 20th Anniversary cruise on Carnival. I did take the time to read the information that Spirit publishes on their website so there were no surprises for us. Beginning with our arrival at the New Orleans airport their employees were all most courteous, helpful and this extended throughout both the originating and return flights. Spirit sells you what you want, and does not sell you what you don't want or need. We paid for the equivalent of first class seats as well as checked bags and still came out hundreds of dollars less than the cost of first class service on any other airline. Both flights were smooth and on time. The flight crews did a very good job of getting everyone on board and ready to go on time. We would not hesitate to fly them again. I'm thankful they offer the option of a-la- carte flying.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Mary Grant    (USA)

Big

I checked in the day before and printed the boarding pass, paid for the checked baggage which I have no problem with. The instructions said go to the Fast Bag Check. It was a holiday weekend at LAX, one of the busiest airports in the world. There was no "Fast Bag Check" and only one check in counter open. I was in line more than hour before the flight time with about 4 people in front of me. The line moved slowly until there was one customer in front of me. It then came to a complete halt for about 30 minutes. The customer was paying for baggage with cash and they had no change. The check in person walked aimlessly around to other airlines asking fir change and then just stood at his counter doing nothing. He refused to check in any other customers. When he eventually got change and I got to his counter he asked where are you going and I said Dallas, he laughed and said "too bad, the flight has left". I replied no my flight was in 30 mins to which he laughed and said "check in closes 45 mins before the flight". I said I was in line well before 45 minutes and he had spent 30 minutes waiting for change when he could have helped others. He ignored me and called out to the next person in line. They too were going to Dallas and so was everybody in line. Everybody complained but he refused to do anything. The next flight was 7pm that evening and it would be an extra $267. I paid the $267 reluctantly. He would not check me in and made a snide comment about making sure I wasn't late next time or I wouldn't be allowed on that flight. The 7pm flight was delayed "due to maintenance" until 8, 9 and then eventually 10 pm. While waiting at the airport. I decided to check the flight online. The price if the flight was $92 and I had been charged $87 plus an extra $267. That was it I went straight to the boarding desk. Luckily the agent at the desk was really sympathetic and acted like he wasn't surprised, apologized and without me asking refunded the $267 and upgraded my seat to the most expensive seat for free. The flight attendants were actually very pleasant and helpful but the plane was so cold. The flight attendants were wearing sweaters and thick tights. Several passengers complained about the temperature but nothing was done. I arrived in Dallas at 3am and had to spend another $100 on a taxi because I could not have the person who was picking me up be up until that time in the morning. Never again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by J Finlay    (USA)

Standard

4 hours late from Las Vegas to San Diego. Poor communications, no one at the gate. I was given a 7$ meal voucher 15 minutes before we boarded, and that was only because I asked.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by S Roy    (USA)

Standard

I was a first-time passenger on Spirit Airlines, and unfortunately my experience was not a good one. Before online check-in, I was unable to reach customer service by phone. The FAQ section did not address my concern, so I expected to "talk" to a person there. All one gets when calling the phone # provided is one prompt after another, with no "speak to rep" option. The 4 takeoff and landings for my destination were all 2+ hours late. If you want to get there on time or even slightly later, forget flying with Spirit Airlines. Their routes are ridiculous. My flight from Kansas City to Minneapolis took me to Chicago first, where I had a long layover, which ended up even longer due to bad weather in Chicago. That was understandable, but flight out of Chicago on return flight was delayed without explanation. A flight from KC to Mpls is actually only 1.5 hrs, but it took me all day in airports and in Spirit planes to get there.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by J Prassas    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit out of Philly to Las Vegas during Labor Day Weekend and I have to say this was by far the worst flying experience I've had. There is zero customer service skills among the staff - that and no communication between staff and customers regarding delays. I sat on the runway for a good hour before my friend asks the flight attendant what the delay was about and her response was "the jet is being fuelled", funny because there was absolutely no fuel truck in sight. We come to find out there was a mechanical issue with the plane. Where did they get those seats from. I'm by no means a large girl but those seats made me feel large, I was unbearably uncomfortable. The seats didn't recline, there was absolutely no leg room, and the seats were so close together that I could smell the breath of the person next to me. The temperature in the plane was so cold. If you think you're getting complimentary water think again - Spirit Airline nickles and dimes you for absolutely everything including water. $320 round trip from Philly to Vegas seems like a good deal until you add in the $90 for just a carry on and $3 for water and additional costs for any other drink or snack. If you are looking for a cheap flight you will find it on Spirit Airlines along with a cheap experience and lying staff members.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by A King    (USA)

Just yesterday I had the worst experience I've ever had with any airline We were booked to fly out of Cancun directly to Dallas with Spirit Airlines. They had overbooked the flight by about 7 people and everyone showed up, some people volunteered to give up their seats for the usual compensation package. My partner and I checked in online in the morning prior to the flight. We arrived to the airport and waited at the check in counter as they were getting another couple checked in, printed boarding passes, checked luggage, and sent those passengers on their way to the gate. They however, denied us help, denied offering any customer service or compensation because they said we had arrived too late to print off boarding passes, but they did admit to use that they had knowledge of our online check in. Then, while we were standing at the counter with 4 other passengers, Spirit Airlines proceeded to book flights, and offer hotel and ticket compensation to the other passengers. I will never fly Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Diana Oquendo    (USA)

Standard

Whatever little bit of money you save when you book your flight they are going to get back in outrageous fees. My dad came to visit us from Bogota. The flight here was delayed 2 hours for no apparent reason. No apologies or explanations given. They didn't even offer him a cup of coffee or water! This is an international flight. Water and crackers are pretty standard! He got lost in the airport because their flight attendants fail to tell the passengers where to claim their bags. Since they ended up arriving around 2am half of the airport (ATL) was not in service and there was nobody available to give any information. We dropped him off this morning to go back home and I am hoping things go better after the rough start we had this morning. I have never seen such terrible customer service. These people were rude. Their kiosk to do self check in was very slow to the point I wasn't sure if it was working. A woman from the airline started to come toward me so I thought she was coming to help me. She actually asked me where he was going and snatched his passport out of my hands stood in front of the computer and cancelled where I was trying to do the self check in. Then she told us to get in line. The we went to the very crowded counter only to get yelled at by to more of their employees. Then they proceed to charge him extra for an "overweight" bag. We were never told that their limit was 40lb instead of the standard 50 - his bag was 48lb! They were charging people for carry ons that were very small.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by T Matheny    (USA)

Standard

Flight 600 from Atlanta to Dallas, July 16th, and Flight 877 from Dallas to Atlanta on July 18th. I even question why there is a place to write a review on such an unbelievably classless company. The worst travel experience. The flight was delayed 3 hrs in arriving to our gate. The flight was delayed 1 hr after boarding. The flight was delayed yet again at the destination gate. On the flight, the flight attendants were very crude, and borderline confrontational to paying customers. When I asked for a cup of water, the flight attendant responded, "No way, this is Spirit Air where you don't get anything for free!" I understand the principal of a discount airline is to pass down the savings to the customer, however to do so at the expense of professionalism is certainly not worth the savings. This was my first, and certainly last flight with Spirt Airlines. Take heed and do not fly Spirit airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Toya Rajae Hasia    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines is the most awful business I've ever been forced to use. Not only did they charge me $45 dollars just to check my carry on, they delayed our flight three times, making us 4 hours late getting home. I missed my ride from the airport, missed an important meeting, and spent more money on airport dinner than expected because of these clowns. Then, they refused to compensate on the first delay! Will never use them again. Don't expect any complimentary water, it's $3 a bottle, right along with the $10 charged to print your boarding pass.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Joseph Sapp    (USA)

Standard

I flew with Spirit via round trip from BWI to LAS. Most of the time their website was down or didn't work. When I arrived at BWI, not a single person at the check in desk. Their so called carry on cost $50 at the counter or $100 at the gate. Once on the aircraft, the seats didn't even recline and felt like there was no padding at all! If you requested a seat, oh yes, another charge of at least $18. Now combined seat charge, carry on charge, you can expect to pay up to $236.00 on top of the so called "cheap flight". I will "never " fly on this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by K Mapstone    (USA)

Standard

I decided to fly Spirit in spite of negative publicity regarding baggage and other fee extortion because the times worked the best. I did not have a problem with my baggage because I was diligent about adhering to the size and weight restrictions. Unfortunately, my flights were delayed both ways (one due to flight crew not showing up and the other due to weather). This was the least legroom between seats that I have ever experienced on any flight. Not to mention, I had two people sitting next to me on the first flight who both were way too big for their seats, making it impossible to get up to go to the restroom during the flight. It would make sense for the flight crew to manage these situations because it is unsafe and unreasonably uncomfortable. The flight back was equally miserable. The elderly father and his son sitting next to me were also first time Spirit flyers, and we spent most of the flight discussing how we would never fly Spirit again since they had similar bad experiences. There were two empty rows in front of us, and the son - very tall - sitting next to me asked the flight attendant if he could move into one of them. The flight attendant said he had to wait until the plane was in the air, and then two very rude women were allowed to take seats in those rows about 30 seconds later (before the plane even moved from the gate). The woman who took the row of seats directly in front of us weighed approximately 350 lbs and spent the flight lying across all three seats snoring loudly, while we sat in our sardine accommodations behind her. I knew not to expect frills, but flying Spirit reminded me of an airborne Greyhound bus filled with the people of Walmart. Now that I have experienced it, I know that it's worth it to change my schedule and pay whatever it takes to fly another airline. I realize that Spirit is one of the most profitable US based airlines with more than enough people to market this low-end service to; however, I would strongly encourage my friends to pursue other options for their air travel. Most people I know care about service and would be equally disgusted by the Spirit experience.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Ann Scott    (USA)

Standard

You can only carry a purse or a small backpack not a carry on. A "carry on" is an additional $50. All refreshments are for purchase. To choose your seat is an additional $18. To get a boarding pass from a representative at the counter is an additional $10. I flew to Houston from LA. For my returning flight, 2 of the 4 kiosks were out of service to self check in. I had to wait in the same line as the people that were paying for all of their baggage and get boarding passes trying to avoid the $10 fee. My flight was at 11.25, I got to the kiosk at 10.41 and my pass wouldn't print. I get to the representative and he tells me I've missed my flight that leaves 40 minutes later. I had to check in by 10.40. They had no more flights leaving that day and the next day's flight was oversold. (What airline only has one flight to Los Angeles). They couldn't book me on another flight for 2 days. I had to buy a same-day one-way ticket on another airline or wait 2 days to get home. I will never fly Spirit again. The fair is not cheaper. By the time you're finished purchasing all the things you'll need, a fair ends up as much as, if not more than any of their competitors.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Onukwuru Chima    (USA)

Standard

Booked a flight to Dallas from Philadelphia that was to depart at 12.15pm. Get to the airport and try to check in, I get informed that my flight is now delayed for another 3 hours. It's understandable that things do occur but what upsets me is that, I got NO notification of the delay. It's very unprofessional for the Airline to not inform it's customers of a change such as that.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Anna Edmondson    (USA)

Standard

This was my partner and my first experience flying Spirit Air. Our flight out to Boston was flawless. After about 3 hours of delays in Boston MA where our return trip started, we were told despite the delays that the plane we were on would still be the one we stayed on all the way to Portland OR. We were told this twice in Boston airport by Spirit Airline personnel. In Chicago they asked us to stay on the plane, come through to take our tickets, and announced as we were taxiing onto the runway that the plane wouldn't be continuing on to San Diego after LV. Any passengers continuing on to Portland OR were all set because this plane would be going straight from Las Vegas to Portland OR after a brief stop. In Las Vegas we were asked to disembark while they changed flight crews and cleaned up. We were told to stay right at the gate so we could re-board as quickly as possible. When we got into the terminal, we double checked with the representative at the gate that this was where we would be re-boarding our flight and she barked back at us, rudely and accusingly, "No, this isn't your flight, you missed your flight. This plane is going to LA. Your flight took off hours ago". We were shocked. Ourselves and about 30 other passengers were sent to the next gate where we spent 2 hours trying to get an explanation and resolution. We were lied to by Spirit Airline Representatives multiple times. They offered 10% off two night stay in Las Vegas hotels and a spot on the Monday 4.30pm flight. Or a refund of the portion of our trip from Las Vegas to Portland OR. Most of us needed to get home for work Monday. We asked, both through the company representative at the gate, and through the customer service hotline, that Spirit Airlines rectify the problem they had created. Some of us were desperate enough to ride a bus all the way to Portland. When that was turned down as a solution by Spirit, we asked that at the very least, we be treated the same way overflow passengers are. Meal vouchers, a free round- trip ticket, and free hotel stays. That was also turned down. In the middle of the night, in an empty airport, my partner and I had to find a courtesy phone and book a Sunday morning flight with another airline, charging over $700 to my credit card, just so we could be home in time to go to work on Monday. The entire experience was stressful and the way Spirit Airlines handled the situation was ridiculous. Not I, nor anybody I know, will ever fly Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by S Layton    (USA)

Big

My son had a scheduled flight at 10.30am today. They pull out only to turn around and go back into the terminal for a problem. He has sat in the terminal since 10.30am and no news and they don't update. He is 18 and when he walked over to ticket counter to get an update, he was given a nasty answer and no info. We live 2 hours from the airport and would say spending 500$ to fly to Florida is not exactly cheap and the service is lousy! No news if his plane will ever leave!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by A Emanuel    (USA)

This airline is the worst! As I'm typing this review I'm sitting in an airport waiting on a delayed flight. It was Spirits first flight of the day from PHL to Myrtle Beach and the weather is perfect for a Labor Day weekend, so one would not think a flight would be delayed. The reason for the delay is that the flight staff got in really late last night so in order to stay in compliance with the employment rules they must rest. I completely understand that, but instead of Spirit sending the passengers an email/text because they had advance notice of this delay they just let people show up at the crack of dawn for nothing! Any savings you get from purchasing a Spirit ticket will be offset by extra fees (extra time spent for parking in the garage, seat fees, baggage fees, and tons of indirect fees), lost time (I could've slept in), headaches, and bad customer service. My first and last time flying with this airline. Future passengers you've been warned.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by S Lewis    (USA)

Standard

My husband's incoming flight (on another airline) decided to hold everyone on the plane for 45 minutes because customs was busy. This left him with (and a lot of other people) about 40 minutes before his Spirit flight was scheduled to depart (the last one). They wouldn't let him or anyone else check in! And there were no available flights for 2 days. Spending not just one but two nights in the airport is ridiculous. With fees, etc., it's more a case of buyer beware, but the absolute lack of a single damn given about your passengers is unacceptable. If you knew everyone was going to be stranded for 2 days, why decide it was too close to departure (at more than 30 minutes before) to let anyone check in? Instead, most people got to spend a glorious 3-day, 2-night vacation in the Ft. Lauderdale airport. With you know, no open restaurants, no place to lie down. And customer service? Laughable. Needless to say, we will never be flying Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Beryl Zhao    (USA)

Standard

Was nervous about the airline after reading all the negative reviews, but if you honestly know that you're getting into a discount airline with unbundled pricing - pay for each additional service you receive - it's really not bad. Pre-register and prepay for your bags beforehand. I mean, for its target demographic (apparently) of fun- spirited weekend travelers carrying only a duffel bag or a backpack on them, it's a steal. I will definitely fly if I have to interview in one of their cities they carry. My only complaint was that the flight attendants were goofing off and did not try to give an appearance of professionalism or competency. But that's just my thing -they were nice and helpful people overall.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by N Grimley    (USA)

Standard

I flew Detroit to Minneapolis. Flight on time, arrived early. No problems. This was my first flight on Spirit. I had low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised. Perhaps I was just lucky on this flight. I even checked a bag for $30. Cheaper than carrying one of, $35. So no carry on - I mean no - nothing carried on. I think as long as you know what you are possibly getting yourself in to, and you don't mind delays and no frills, the experience will be ok. That's my take for my first flight anyway. Who knows, my next flight might not go so smoothly.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Sanchez Pablo    (USA)

Standard

August 20th from Bogota Colombia to Orlando Florida, to Dallas/Ft.Worth. The worst airline I have ever flown. We were held on the aircraft for 2 hours before we were finally allowed to depart the plane. We missed our connecting flight and when we tried to work the issue out with the attendants they were absolutely rude. I do not recommend this airline to anyone and will no longer use this airline. There is no cost savings using the company.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Spence Anthony    (USA)

Spirit Airlines should be renamed "Broken Spirit Airlines", because their spirit is broken, and they want to break their passengers spirit too. Our flight from Boston to Atlanta was delayed 4 hours. The return flight was also delayed by around the same time. I flew first class, wasn't given anything extra, no free drink or snack.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by S Hickey    (USA)

They had a 6 hour delay from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale and the flight was to continue to Tampa but they took that flight #615 and made a new flight and left about 14 passengers stranded at 1am at the airport. They also told us the next flight going out was at 10pm that night. They offered us a partial credit of our flight which that leg was worth $69 or we could fly into Orlando. We fly into Orlando with no way to get to Tampa. No Spirit flights from Orlando to Tampa. Cost me another $100 for a rental since I was picking my vehicle up in Orlando and dropping off in Tampa. Customer service is horrendous. I spent 36 hours awake and landed at an airport I never asked to be at and it cost me more money thanks to Spirit. Whatever you think you will save forget it go with someone else otherwise you will regret it, I did. A water and tea cost $5.00.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by P Cosper    (USA)

Their "bare fare" is too bare. Not even water? Really? It is painfully obvious Spirit cares nothing about their customers and only about making money. I selected Spirit because the flight was going to get me in a few hours earlier and I needed to be there for business. Both flights on the way down to Vegas were delayed which caused me to be late to my meetings. After being stuck on the plane for over two hours more than I was supposed to be, I wasn't able to get complimentary water. The return flight was also delayed over an hour (but there was no mention of the delay at the gate and the flight duration was 30 minutes longer than stated). No apologies just snarky attitudes from the attendants. Those in the "budget seats" were crammed in tight and often reminded over the loud speaker that we were in the "budget" seats. When it was time to disembark, the attendant said "get out" over the loud speaker. The mobile app doesn't work properly on an iPhone. I couldn't even check in. I can't say one thing good about the experience.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Marsha Rollins    (USA)

Standard

I have used Spirit several times so far. Each time it gets worst! The tickets are inexpensive but the baggage fees are ridiculous. The seats are very uncomfortable! It was hot on the plane with a lot of babies screaming. The cabin and the laboratory were dirty. It were a very depressing flight. I don't think I will use them again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by E DiPego    (USA)

Standard

Flew to MN for the weekend delayed 3 times on the way there and on the way back twice. On the way home, they kept us on runway for an hour, deboarded us, another hour went by, reboarded us and when we were all on they announced that people with connections to Tampa should get off since they were going to miss connection. 2 minutes later, announced all passengers with connections to CA should get off as well. They also charged me $100 at the gate for a bag that they did not charge me for on the way there.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by M Voshell    (USA)

Standard

They canceled mine and many other passenger's connecting flight from Chicago to New York and I did not receive any explanation until two hours later. They offer you nothing but the chance at a partial refund or a flight two days later. No hotel, no food, no other transportation. The best they could begrudgingly offer was to live in the airport for two days while I wait for the "next available flight". When you sleep on the cots in the airport, they wake you up at 4am sharp and make you clear out. I suspect it's so as few other passengers as possible are aware of the shanty town that needed constructing. I only got 2.5 hours of sleep before getting booted. I was perfectly friendly throughout the entire ordeal and yet every Spirit employee showed overt contempt for the plight brought to Spirit customers by the company's own greed and ineptitude.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by John Snellings    (USA)

Standard

I just came off flight 404 from Atlanta to Dallas. It was the most uncomfortable flight I have ever been on. Not only was there no leg room - the cabin was so cold I was shivering, just miserable. Not worth it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Hugh Davis    (USA)

Standard

Flew from Las Vegas to Denver today. Flight was 2.5 hours late. I asked if they would at least give us a free coke during the flight since we all missed dinner. "Yes", the person scanning our tickets said. But when we were en-route, no freebies. Cokes were still $3, Coffee: $2. I think 1 person onboard ordered something. Everyone was too ticked off to give the airline another cent.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Joseph Hammer    (USA)

Standard

Before flying with Spirit, I actually looked to see what to expect. I mean, if someone hopes to be getting four star service, they should have already erased that idea after looking at the price! My departing flight from DFW to Portland was delayed by about 90 minutes because of weather from an earlier flight. That wasn't the airline's fault, and they were pretty nice about it. I looked up to see what to expect and got what I expected. Their great price is totally worth it because of the amount of money that you save. Yes I believe that this airline should be a 2-star airline, but when you want to get from point A to point B cheap, go Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Donna Cerreta    (USA)

Standard

This was our first experience with Spirit and probably the last. The flight was scheduled for 10.40, my son arrived early to check in and was told it would be delayed as they were awaiting a part? It was then pushed back further because they were awaiting a crew member so needless to say the flight didn't take off until 1.30. The airline has no regard for its passengers and its not worth the cheaper fares.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Raul Pool    (USA)

Standard

Flying home FL to LaGuardia NY (first attempt) was told I would miss my connecting flight in Ft. Lauderdale since the flight coming into Bogota was delayed. They blamed air traffic. When I went home again the next day they made us deplane in Ft Lauderdale, go through customs, wait for our luggage then bring it to our connecting flight. There was no way to make the connecting flight at all with only an hour between flights. If they knew we had to go through all this why do they offer a flight with times like that, we were told we could either get a room at our own expense or sleep at the airport. Be aware of no customer service and be ready to sleep in the airport.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Sheila Etienne    (USA)

Standard

DFW-PHL. No value for money here. Nickel and dimed at every point. This my first and last time on Spirit. You may save an initial $50 but you have to pay to select your seats. I wouldn't pay so my son sat at the other end of the plane. You have to pay for carry on and check in luggage and even any beverages. Never mind that we were delayed both ways. Departing from Philly they couldn't even give us a good reason.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Lynn Harris    (USA)

I booked my husband and his brother on a flight from MSP to Dallas. My husband had a small backpack and a small carry on bag - but with wheels. Both would get through okay on Sun Country and Delta - ones we are used to flying. He had to pay $45 to carry his wheeled one on and $100 on the way back. He said he couldn't believe how many people had to pay the $100 bag fee. We will never fly Spirit again. No beverages or snacks complimentary on board.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Maegan Fortune    (USA)

Standard

I have flown with Spirit several times in the past. Although not always a pleasant experience, this was, by far, the worst. I always check in the day before online and print my ticket. However, this occasion I was only able to check in. The email that Spirit sent with the ticket would not open or print. So I was left to print it at the airport. Unfortunately, a car accident delayed traffic and I was late getting to the airport. I got to the desk 45 minutes before the flight was supposed to take off, but because I didn't have a printed boarding pass, the customer service representative would not check in my luggage. I was told that the next available flight wouldn't be until two days later. No other airlines or nearby airports were checked for vacancy. The customer representative then proceeded to give me the information for my next flight and began talking to the customer behind me, as if I was not standing there. Three other families were in the same situation. I will never be flying with Spirit Airlines again. They certainly live up the their reputation of being the "most complained about airline," and rightly so! They deserve all of their 1/10 stars.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Mary Broderick    (USA)

Standard

My daughter and I traveled from Philadelphia to Dallas. I was aware of Spirit's policy of paying for only the amenities you are going to use, and packed accordingly. Before heading for the airport we checked to make sure our flight was on time, and the website indicated the flight was scheduled to leave at 12.15pm as planned. When we arrived at the extremely crowded gate we discovered that the plane we were supposed to fly on was scheduled to fly to Myrtle Beach before returning to Philadelphia to travel to Dallas. The Myrtle Beach flight which was supposed to leave at 7.30am had not departed because the plane had a flat tyre. Spirit had to send to their Atlantic City Facility for a replacement which was an an hour and 15 minutes away. When the replacement arrived, the crew discovered that they had brought the wrong tyre, so they had to make another 2.5 hour round trip drive to Atlantic. They finally got it right and the 7.30 flight to Myrtle beach finally left at 1.30pm. The plane finally arrived back in Philadelphia and we departed at 5.30pm for our 12.15pm flight: 6 hours late. Instead of arriving at 2.30pm in Dallas we arrived around 8.45pm. When we printed our boarding passes to return to Philly the next day we found that our reservation had been cancelled because we were listed as no shows for the trip from Philly to Dallas. We called Spirit, we were told that we were lying and hadn't been on the flight to Dallas. After spending an hour and a half on the phone the staff member agreed to schedule us for our flight to Philly, but we would have to present the other half of our boarding pass from the previous flight or be charged again for the full amount of the return trip. When we got to the Spirit desk at the airport we found that other customers had also had their return flight mysteriously cancelled. We eventually boarded the flight back to Philly, and arrived on time. I've been flying other airlines for may years and although we have had occasional delays, or lost bags we have never experienced this level of rudeness or incompetence. We were offered a fifty dollar voucher for another Spirit flight for our inconvenience, which we politely refused since we will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by E Murray    (USA)

Standard

Round trip Myrtle Beach to Boston. Flight in was supposed to arrive at 12.30am but we didn't get in until nearly 3am. The staff seemed to have no clue what they were doing, moving children and parents multiple times because of confusion over the emergency row. Flight back was just as frustrating. I booked my flight leaving plenty of time to get to my 10am class, yet my 5am flight was delayed again. I asked a staff member why and in very broken English she replied "plane need rest". I very calmly told her that it didn't leave me enough time and began to talk about how my previous flight was also delayed and she put a hand up and shooed me. Staff were rude. You think you're getting a deal and flying cheaper, but they nickel and dime you so much that you may as well have paid for the luxury of a more 'competent' airline. Never flying Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by R Jackson    (USA)

Standard

ATL to IAH and return was a good experience. On time (even with a rain storm coming into ATL), friendly, comfortable seats, quick luggage service at both airports, and fair priced snacks. Better than other trips on other airlines. I wish bag weight was 50 lbs instead of 40 lbs, but with a heavy personal carry on we made it work.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by S Gray    (USA)

Standard

I'm sitting on the plane waiting for my first Spirit flight to take off. This is by far the worst airline experience I have had and the flight has not even taken off yet! I fly 20-30 times a year - usually on Southwest - and due to timing opted for Spirit for this trip. We first arrive to check-in and we are instructed to use the kiosk to print boarding passes and check our bags. We start using the barely functioning, slow as molasses kiosk and it puts 2 bags on one person. First bag is $45 and second bag is $55. So $100. However there were two people checking in so it would've been more economical for us to charge one bag per person ($45 per bag each person = $90). But the system just decides to charge one person $100. Alright, we'll just get it fixed with the desk lady. Nope, not really! She "can't help". But she can inform us that our carry on bag costs $50 more too. They charge for every bag - carry on and checked, plus surcharges for more than one bag. The bag fees are one thing, but the fact that they don't communicate their fees in advance and clearly is whole other issue. I have never been through a check-in line being yelled at either. Some Spirit employee was taking it upon herself to bark commands at the customers checking in. If there was the option to rate in negative stars I would!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by N Sanchez    (USA)

My flight to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) was delayed over two hours leaving from Puerto Rico because of a controllable human error. My husband ended up missing my connecting flight to Denver. Spirit Airlines failed to provided me with any accommodations other than charging me for an additional two airline tickets. They provided me with a vague customer phone line that leads to nowhere because the voice recorder keeps repeating the same message. Once I was able to get a hold of a representative he acted like he couldn't hear me on the phone. After waiting for more than an hour they told me that they couldn't help me. This airline business practices are not only questionable, but unethical. I have been stuck at Fort Lauderdale airport over 12 hours. We are senior citizens and through the course of ten hours we have seen over 3 families with the same issue.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Praveen Hosdurg Ramdas    (USA)

Standard

I would never travel with Spirit in the future and would not recommend. I booked my tickets from MSP to TMP (via Chicago) on 25 Aug and the flight was delayed. Everyone was asked to board the flight and after a 1 hr delay sitting on the plane, flight attendants told passengers to deboard. After boarding again they asked all passengers traveling to Tampa to deboard again, told we could not be put on another flight until 27th Aug. After waiting almost 45 mins I asked for a refund. Staff were very unpleasant.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by B Devin    (USA)

Standard

I will never fly Spirit again. Not only are their staff disgracefully rude, but they make false claims about how cheap their fares are. They may not make their money on their flight fares, but they make up for it by charging hefty fares for carry on and checked luggage. I recently flew Spirit for an hour long flight. It was the first time I'd flown with them for a while and I was unaware of them charging for a carry on. I had a very small carry on luggage with me, and I thought nothing of it until I walked up to board my flight was told by the attendant, "young lady, step aside." The flight had already been delayed an hour and would cause me to miss my connecting flight. She pointed to another attendant, who was even more rude. She told me my bag would cost $100, a bag that could fit under the seat. There was no option but to pay or miss the flight I'd waited an extra hour on. I will never book another flight with the airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Emeric Bechi    (USA)

Standard

My flight was scheduled to leave Atlanta (5.59pm) to Dallas (7.10pm) and Dallas (7.45pm) to my final destination Detroit (11.22pm). Instead, my flight from Atlanta was delayed by 1hr for no apparent reason. So arriving in Dallas at around 8.00pm, my connecting flight to Detroit had already gone. We (about 15 of us with final destination Detroit) were told to talk to the Spirit concierge at our arrival gate in Dallas in order to get a new ticket issued with final destination Detroit. My new ticket was from Dallas to Kansas to Las Vegas and then to Detroit. Our flight leaving from Dallas to Kansas was delayed again but the concierge told us that we would not have to switch planes because they'd be using the same plane to go to Vegas. I wanted to double check so I asked the flight attendant on board the Dallas to Kansas flight and he told me the same thing and added that actually we would not have to switch planes on the way to our final destination Detroit. I believed him but when we arrived in Las Vegas they told us all to get off the plane and that we were going to use a different plane to Detroit. Our connecting plane to Detroit had already left again because of the delay we incurred in Dallas. It was around 11pm pacific time and the next available flight was schedule for the next day at 8am. This meant we had to spend the night in Vegas which is not necessarily a bad thing but they refused to offer any accommodation whatsoever. I had no choice but to sleep in the airport because this was unplanned! This was my first time flying them and is definitely going to be my last.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by B Terranova    (USA)

Standard

I am so disappointed with Spirit Airlines. Not only was my flight to my destination pushed back an hour, simply because they were running behind schedule, but my flight returning home was as well! This company is in no way efficient or effective. They overcharge for bags and provide nothing complimentary on the flight. Not even one beverage, or even peanuts. Moreover, even though I checked in only about an hour and a half before the flight they neglected to tell me it was running late causing me to rush to my flight only to find out I have to wait another hour. In all honesty, I will never fly with Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by L Falco    (USA)

Standard

Flying home from Bogota Colombia to Laguardia (first attempt) was told I would miss my connecting flight in Ft. Lauderdale since the flight coming into Bogota was delayed. (They blamed air traffic). When I went home again the next day they made us deplane in Ft Lauderdale, go through customs, wait for our luggage then bring it to our connecting flight. There was no way to make the connecting flight at all with only an hour between flights. If they knew we had to go through all this why do they offer a flight with times like that, we were told we could either get a room at our own expense or sleep at the airport.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Sidney Jordan    (USA)

Standard

This is the worst airline to fly on. No leg room for standard seating. You have to pay for everything separately and once your finish the cost is much higher. If I could change my ticket to another airline I would. But I will be leaving Florida on Monday 18th August. The 9 dollar club is a joke. Customer service is the awful. This is one customer Spirit has lost. Be aware. You're paying for bad service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by S Wickware    (USA)

Standard

My sister and I also had to pay $50 for a very small carry on at DFW. We traveled to Las Vegas. We had delays going and coming back, we were charged $100 for our bags! I can't believe the airlines can get away with this! We felt like we were robbed! Something should be done about this unfair practice! Travelers Beware.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Steve Johnson    (USA)

Standard

Horrible airline. Minneapolis to Denver. Aug. 13 to Aug. 17 and return trip. 3 hour delay before leaving and 1.5 hour delay before returning. After a 3 hour delay might expect a free complimentary drink but nothing is free on that airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Robert Bojarski    (USA)

Standard

Book if you like sleeping in airports. This is a review for my daughter and her friend. Flight from Lima arrived late. Missed connection to Baltimore. Waited 12 hours for next flight only to be told it's overbooked and the next flight is in 3 days. This is after they confirmed the seats for my daughter and her friend. But wait that's not all. They flew another airline home to Reagan National. Next day went to get luggage at BWI, surprise, surprise luggage lost.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by W Owen    (USA)

Standard

If you just want to get from point A to B cheaply with 1 bag and don't really care how you get there, as long as it gets you there, Spirit is perfect. If you want luxury, convenience, etc for a few hours hash out the extra $300 dollars for first class Delta. I've flown with Spirit about a dozen times and never had a bad moment. Most of the complaints are from people not paying attention to clearly printed baggage fees or whining that they weren't given a complimentary 25 cents worth of soda on a 4 hour or less flight. Seriously, pay attention, check in at a decent time like you're supposed to, show up to the airport at a decent time, again, like you're supposed to, and buy a soda or snack in the terminal if it's so important to you. You'll be just fine. Yes their baggage fees are a lot, but they're a discount carrier, this is what discount businesses do. Pay attention and you won't get burned. I managed to shove my 21 inch laptop, 4 days worth of fresh clothes, my 10 inch tablet, documents, books, a massive blanket, and more more into my assault pack and shove it under my seat for free. If you feel the need to bring your whole house with you on vacation, fly with someone else, pay a higher base ticket price for somewhat lower baggage fees. The staff are always kind and often very funny. All of my flights departed early or on time and arrived anywhere from 10 to 15, and in one case 40 minutes early. All the aircraft I flew on were very clean and looked brand new. The seats were sorta small and some don't tilt back, but you get what you pay for. I'm 5'11" and still had plenty of leg room and was comfortable. Even on my longest flight from MSP to LAX I was never so uncomfortable that I had to get up and walk around, and I have back and neck problems.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by D Doran    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit on my return flight this past weekend and to say the return trip was a disaster is an understatement. Naturally, most customers choose Spirit because it "appears" to be more economical. However, if you do a true cost comparison with other airlines, there is no real savings. They took me out of line and took my ticket and then proceeded to tell me it would be extra $$ for my carry on with wheels, it was a standard small size . I paid $100 at the gate, like the small wheels makes a big difference, less than 30 lbs, most airlines it is 50 lbs. I was shocked when I noticed the signs at the gate which charged $100 for a standard carry-on, this was simply incredulous! Like thieves, the only thing missing was the gate person using a gun to rob you! Once on board, I did not realize the seats did not recline, very uncomfortable for a flight. You have to purchase standard items, water and soda? Next thing for Spirit will probably charge you to go to the bathroom and only if the army sergeant stewardess would allow it? You have to pay extra for any common courtesies. The stewardess announced over the speaker that only 9 people had to pay extra $$, she made it sound like Spirit was doing us a favor by charging us extra $$$ and allowing us to fly with them. Do not fly Spirit. You do not save any money when you add in the normal courtesies.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by R Smith    (USA)

Did a round trip from Dallas to Portland, Oregon, the weekend of August 9. Decided to upgrade to the front seats, which for my brother and I, it was worth the extra cost of $50 per seat. The front seats do recline. The only hitch on this trip is that upon returning to DFW we could not get our checked luggage for over 1.5 hrs. It was very frustrating. But, if you need a cheap seat and you can pack light and either pay the carry on charge for you luggage or just put everything in a small backpack then Spirit may work for you. We also had to wait once we landed for a gate to open up so we sat on the ground an extra 15 minutes before our plane could get into a gate. I also brought my own snacks, so make sure you do that. I chose to purchase water after passing through security and getting inside the terminal. I took my bottled water in my small backpack along with my snacks onto the airplane and this was not a problem. Other than these problems, it went relatively well. I checked in online and printed my boarding passes online from my home. The Spirit staff and the airport and on both flights were acceptable. Also, Spirit was one of few airlines that offered DFW to PDX non-stop, which for me is important because I don't like multiple flights. Bottom Line. Spirit Airlines is a inexpensive airline with no frills. I really don't think I would book Spirit for a long flight, or for anything out of the USA.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by P Obriot    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines was horrible in the following ways: extremely poor flight trip, extremely poor timing (I waited 6 hours for my flight), staff were very unpleasant with their services and most of all very poor planning.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Del Rosario    (USA)

Standard

Flight 142 on 2 Aug and Flight 145, 9 Aug. All the years that I traveled with so many different airlines I have never had this type of service and other added costs. You want water, a soft drink or anything you have to pay. I made a reservation for a low cost trip from Dominican Republic to Fort Lauderdale, assumed cost of the plane travel was low. Now comes the additional cost of luggage, for any bag under 40 lb you pay $50, anything over that $100, carry-on $50, computer bags and other handbags $50, if its more than 18 inches high. Here is the catch, I was traveling with another person that had a computer bag the same as mine, he was able to go through at no cost.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by Wendell Gray    (USA)

Standard

I've flown Spirit a few times and although it is not my favorite, it has sufficed because the flights are not that expensive. Today however was a completely different story. As we are pulling out of the gate, (20 minutes late) the flight attendant tells us that the belt that carries the bags to the plane has broken so all of our bags couldn't get on the plane, but reassures us they will be flown on another aircraft. Once I arrive at my destination, I see that I and 85% of the people on my flight had no luggage. Once confronting Spirit about the problem, the workers moved very slow and showed no sympathy or care for the problem. They could care less whether I got my bags or not. Most people on my flight had a connecting flight some where else, but had no bags to make that happen. I got no guarantee about when I would receive my luggage so now I sit here with hardly any clothes or a toothbrush and do not know when I will have them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by B Lynch    (USA)

Standard

Absolutely the worst run airline in the world. Cheap fares are good only as far as the airline can deliver good service. This airline has failed on every front. The fare structure is just slightly cheaper than Southwest and much less flexible. In my case to save a few dollars I booked on Spirit to Detroit from Houston. The aircraft was dirty, the employees were unhelpful and the landings weren't that good. Low fare = low service and low quality at Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by J Saul    (USA)

Standard

I made reservations from Detroit to Oakland with a stop-off in Las Vegas without checking online reviews because I had no suspicions and had never been particularly finicky about airlines, as long as the flight got me to my destination. I read the reviews and like many people I came to the airport full of trepidation because of all these negative comments. I printed out my boarding pass and purchased optional seats (the cheapest that I could see online, but maybe next time I'll just waive that and try getting free seat assignments), and arranged my one check-in bag online in advance. Still, I was worried that the flight would be delayed or, worse yet, somehow cancelled for days. Well, the upshot is that everything worked out just fine, and I actually enjoyed it. The check-in was simple, it turned out that my bag weighed 39.9 pounds, just barely saving me from paying an extra $25. I also had a medium-size "personal item" bag, which was free. The seats on my two Spirit flights that day were large enough for me, a 6-foot tall male. The number of seats per row was no more than I've seen on any other airlines going that distance, so I can't understand where all the complaining about cramped seats comes from. The seats on the first flight looked a bit worn, but nonetheless clean and comfortable, so no big deal to me. Both Spirit flights left on time, and arrived even a bit early compared to the reservation times, which was great. There was no food or drinks served, which was just fine with me because I never order anything anyhow, and didn't especially need the generic small cup of coke and bag of peanuts on such journeys. The whole time, the staff were friendly and spoke clearly. I admittedly didn't have any special needs, but to the extent that they were performing their expected duties, I saw nothing amiss. I was also on the lookout for other passengers having problems, and yet saw nothing come up from start to end. The steward on the Vegas-Oakland stretch was like a stand-up comic in his announcements to the audience, which was actually quite amusing. Very memorable. Seriously, I had a perfectly good time, and everything went smoothly. I kept wanting to pinch myself to see if I was dreaming, because I was so impressed at my positive experience compared to the online reviews.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by John Gasper    (USA)

Standard

Spirit is the biggest rip off. They sell you a cheap ticket and then you have to pay for everything else. $50 for the first bag and also for the bag that goes in the overhead compartment too. They charge for your seat. The website is terrible and you cannot find a phone number to call and speak to someone to get help. I just cancelled my $9 club fee and my Spirit Airline card. I recommend everyone to use Southwest Airlines. They allow you 2 free check bags and one carry on. And you don't have to pay for the seat you sit in. I just saved $360 in baggage fees and seat fees compared to Spirit. They also give you snacks and a free non-alcoholic beverage.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by Denise Barbadoro    (USA)

Standard

I am done with this airline. My last few flights with them were delayed hours on end (1 hour and 8 hour delay due to mechanical failure, one 6 hour delay supposedly due to weather though all other flights coming from the area my flight was on time, another 2.5 hour delay for mechanical issues). The managers are rude and the customer service is non-existent. I would not fly with Spirit again if they gave me a ticket. I told them they need to change the name of their airline to Misery because that is what you have to go through time and again.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards