Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Spirit Airlines
1.5 Star Rating: Very Poor

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by S Long    (USA)

Standard

Flew round trip from Detroit to Ft. Myers Fl, April 12 and April 19th. What happened to Spirit? Last time I flew with this airline was 9 years ago and I did not have 1 complaint but this time? Filthy is the first word that comes to mind. Food on the floors, dirty, greasy seats, and when I told the attendant that the tray table was filthy she handed me a napkin. Before I left I looked in the seat pouch to see if there were any comment cards and found a used vomit bag. Used. Besides the crud the luggage prices are ridiculously high. They charge $45 for a carry-on bag when you use the 24 hour check-in services online ($55 if you check-in at the airport). These are only one-way, so for a round-trip flight double those amounts. To choose your seat, Spirit will charge you $18 one-way. Double that amount if you want it for a round-trip vacation. So if you would like to sit next to your friend, spouse, children, parents, etc., then it will cost you nearly $40 extra. I would never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by B Scarpa    (USA)

Standard

My daughter that is pregnant had an emergency surgery and I had to get from Tampa to Dallas ASAP on a minutes notice. All other airlines charged between $700-$900 for a same day flight. I found Spirit and purchased a ticket for less than $400. I read upfront about the extra cost with baggage and food and planned accordingly. I took my one small backpack and bought my snacks and water and got onboard. The airport staff, and the flight attendants onboard the aircraft were extremely courteous and kind. Yes, the seats are closer and not quite the same aisle space but for getting me where I needed to go - fast and at a decent price. I had no flight delays and arrived on time.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by C Lalonde    (USA)

Standard

I flew from Chicago to South Carolina and back. Yes the flight was cheap and even paying for our bag still cheaper than anything else we could get. It is extremely annoying to constantly be asked for money while traveling. For your bags, if you want a specific seat, for water etc. don't expect to get anything without paying for it! Be prepared to wait in a long line if checking a bag as everyone checks a bag. The staff in South Carolina were very nice regarding weight, I think they realized their weight restriction is less than other airlines as they gave us a little wiggle room (most airlines are 50lbs they are 40lbs). If you fly Spirit pay for bag before checking in online it's the cheapest. If your flying with someone else book tickets together because your seats will probably end up together and bring snacks.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by G Hulet    (USA)

Standard

Flying Detroit to Dallas, and the flight was delayed 4 hours because the tail of the plane was broken. Apparently there are no back up planes. Called Spirit customer service twice, and received attitude. They would not book us on another airline, and only offered a 60 day voucher, but they would not tell us the amount or cap for this voucher. They also would not cover the taxes and fees associated with the voucher, or any of the other nickel and dime fees that come standard with flying Spirit. They offer the cheapest tickets because no one wants to fly their terrible airline, and because they scrap their quality from the bottom of the barrel across the board.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Hommer Rebecca    (USA)

Standard

I am not a person who flies often. However, my experience with Spirit Airlines was the least enjoyable of any trip to date. The airports were dingy and dirty, the air planes were small and the seats were uncomfortable. These areas of discomfort would have been on the verge of acceptable if the cost of our flights really were less expensive than the other air lines. In the end, the cost of the bags (with a weight of 40 pounds max), the cost of a carry on and the fact that we had to pay to select our seat increased the cost of the flight to be equal of other carriers. The level of delays, not just for our flight but for every flight that day (and not related to weather) was unbelievable. The saving quality of Spirit was the staff. Everyone was pleasant and helpful even in the midst of cranky customers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Puneet Vaid    (Australia)

Standard

Bogota to Las Vegas via Fort Lauderdale. Terrible experience, very dirty flight and extremely disorganized passenger service and operations. This airline having know the fact that it takes time to go through border control and homeland security gave us less than 1 hour at Fort Lauderdale airport to go through the security and immigration check during peak hours with over 300 odd passengers in a queue. This was at 18.45 hrs, I was supposed to be on my next flight unfortunately with Spirit at 20.00 so we had roughly 35 mins. As a result I missed my flight. In spite of the fact that the airlines knew that so many passengers were stuck in the queue with immigration they didn't bother to delay the flight by few minutes and left us in limbo. I went to the service staff and they said they could not ud to Las Vegas that night but the day after. They wouldn't provide a hotel but said they could get me to LAX airport that night and I could make my way to Las Vegas by taxi (at my own cost ). This flight was delayed by nearly 3 hours and I reached LAX at 2.30 in the on 15th leaving me no way whatsoever to reach Las Vegas by 4 am to board my next flight. I had to buy another ticket for my international flight for roughly $900.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by J Richardson    (USA)

Standard

Sure get a cheap flight, but you'll get to spend hours and hours at the airport waiting to get on your flight. I am in the middle of 3 hour delay that has been upgraded to a 6 hour delay. I could have spent this time on something productive instead of sitting in an airport. My mother's last trip involving Spirit included a 2 hour delay and on my last flight with spirit it was a 3 hour delay. Change your name to Delay Airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by Amy Moorman    (USA)

I recently flew round-trip from Detroit, MI to Las Vegas, NV April 4th and April 7th, 2014. The airplanes that Spirit used for both of these flights were absolutely filthy (grease prints from foreheads on the backs of the seats and dirt on the floors). But this was the least of my complaints, really. Spirit charges $45 for a carry-on bag when you use the 24 hour check-in services online ($55 if you check-in at the airport). If you would like to check your bag when you use the 24 hour check-in services online, then it is $40 ($50 if you check-in at the airport). Oh, and these are only one-way, so for a round-trip flight double those amounts. I ended up paying $90 just to bring my carry-on bag on the plane with me. To choose your seat, Spirit will charge you $18 one-way. Double that amount if you want it for a round-trip vacation. So if you would like to sit next to your friend, significant other, children, parents, etc., then it will cost you nearly $40 extra. Those complimentary beverages? On Spirit they are not complimentary. $3 per beverage and obviously no free refills. So, while Spirit may advertise with those low prices flights, they will then screw you over by charging you a ridiculous amount for luggage (both carry-on and checked), your seat, and beverages that would otherwise be complimentary if you had chosen another airline. Do not fly with them!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by C Guthrie    (USA)

Standard

This is the worst airline I have booked through. There is a fee to pick your own seats, nothing is transferable if something beyond your control comes up. This is just not a consumer friendly airline, it's just plain greedy. It's not comfortable in the seats, and they make you pay for every single thing. I will NEVER book through this airline again, they are the most greedy airline imaginable. Anything they can possibly make you pay for, you better believe they will. The service is horrible. Nothing was good about this experience.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by N Silva    (USA)

Standard

Boston (BOS) - Fort Lauderdale (FLL) return. Just do your research, understand what you're getting, and how businesses operate. In my mind, this is the equivalent of taking the cheap Chinatown bus from Boston to NYC. No one takes said bus for comfort, or luxury, or great customer service, or poor in-flight food, they take it because it's cheap, and it'll get you there one way or another. Spirit's whole business model is based on what they consider "extras." Carry-on that's bigger than a medium-sized knap-sack is extra. Being picky about your seat assignment is extra. In-flight snacks, big seats, using staff at the ticket counter, all these are considered "extras." So when it comes down to it, it's all a big game. They set the rules, and you make the moves and manoeuvres to get through the maze with as few dings to your wallet as possible. With the "Spirit game," you don't pick your seats, you bring your own food, you pack as light as possible, you measure and/or weigh your baggage beforehand to avoid penalties for getting it wrong, you do your best to squeeze into small seats, you listen to headphones when they do their credit card shpeel on the loud speaker, if you can, you go to the airport to buy your tickets (buying online carries a convenience charge), you find out ahead of time when the ticket counter is open at the airports you'll be flying through (if you need them), you avoid using the ticket agents in any way possible. Those are the rules of the game. It's up to you which rules you want to abide by, and of course, it's up to you whether you want to play the game at all.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by Huettel Lisa    (USA)

Standard

My sister and I flew to South Carolina, and before we flew, my husband called Spirit to see what the procedure was for checking baggage. He was told that although the internet says to pay $25 online, or $50 at check-in or $100 at the gate, we didn't have to. We flew out of Chicago O'Hare Airport with no problem. When departing South Carolina we were told, as we were boarding, that we had to pay $100 to carry a back pack and 1 piece of luggage with us on the plane. We, and 3 other people had to pay $100 for nothing. It wasn't a problem going there, suddenly it's a problem? I will never fly with this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by R Baca    (USA)

Standard

Denver International Airport to Las Vegas Nevada airport. Flight number 719 on March 19th 2014 and back to Denver March 22nd on flight 562. Terrible experience both to my destination and back. I fly a lot and was very disappointed. The fees for the bags are crazy. I was able to get on the plane to my destination without a fee. Then on the way home they charged me for the exact same bag that had the exact same things in it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by S LaVita    (USA)

Standard

My sister and I flew from New Orleans to Dallas on April 4-8, 2014 and were pleased with their service! We read all the rules carefully and packed accordingly. No problem with our 1 checked bag a piece. We printed our boarding passes and prepaid our luggage both ways. The ticket agent in New Orleans even offered for us to choose our seats (free of charge) because the flight was not full. Pleasant flight attendants and they did not overly push their credit card. The return flight from Dallas was just as good and the cabin crew even better.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by Sheila Anderson    (USA)

Standard

Looks like cheaper airfare, but is not! Don't be fooled. Tons of add on expenses include: Baggage, seats, fare club membership, government's cut, security fee, passenger facility fee, segment fee and federal excise tax. I accidentally paid for 4 bags to check online, and only needed to check 2.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by J Surratt    (USA)

Big

I recently flew Spirit airlines for the first time. After reading all the reviews posted, I was nervous and somewhat sceptical about this airline. However, both to and from Orlando, I couldn't have asked for anything better! From the time I checked at Houston, the staff was fantastic, to the flight staff, to the members in Orlando, I was very happy with the service that I received. I would definitely recommend Spirit to others and will be using this airline again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by D VerMerris    (USA)

Standard

My wife and I recently flew round trip from Chicago to Orlando. I was somewhat leery of flying Spirit after reading the many reviews. However, my anxieties were alleviated after this trip. Why? Simple, I did my homework. I read, reread, and researched Spirit's baggage policies and followed them to the letter. We experienced no problems at all from check-in to deplaning on both legs of our trip. If you plan on taking advantage of Spirit's low rates, great. Enjoy the extra cash in your pocket. However, if you can't fit their guidelines for baggage weight and size limits, then plan on paying additional. By the way, my wife and I did have to pay additional money for three checked baggage, but the final cost was still over $500 cheaper than the other airlines that I was considering before booking my flights on Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by R Campbell    (USA)

Standard

The other day was the first time my wife and I have flown Spirit and it will be the last. Their bait and switch marketing is offensive. Save $100 on the ticket, only to see it go right back to the company via seat charges (assuming spouses want to sit together), a baggage fee of $30/bag and a weight of 40 lbs (not the standard 50 lbs for most carriers), a personal items list that for many likely results in a "carry-on" bag fee, the constant notice that you better get all of our a la carte pricing right or we will soak you $100/bag at the gate or charge you for not handling all ticketing and check-in online. There were charges for everything on the drink cart except tap water - which wasn't offered. I was waiting for them to announce a bathroom use fee. At the end of it all, we arrived early only to sit on the runway for 50 minutes more making us overall 30 minutes late. The baggage claim carrousel was changed with no announcement. The airlines touts that it is all about saving people money and statements that is completely up front with their policies is garbage! I've been in business for over 50 years and have flown a lot of miles. We will obviously never fly them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by Mai Xiong    (USA)

It wasn't as bad as everyone said it would be or it was, as a matter of fact, it feels the same as every other plane. I traveled with 4 children and my spouse, and were seated together to and from MN MPLS to LAX CA. We booked our check bag online and kept the luggage under 40lbs so it only cost $21, since I joined the $9 club. We saved over $350 for our entire trip.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by P Courtemanche    (Canada)

Standard

Don't expect a 5 star experience for a 1 star price! Read everything and prepare your baggage beforehand. We saved lots of money flying with spirit! Our expectations were low due to all the terrible reviews, but everything went fine! We didn't buy anything on the plane, nor extra baggage. Seat were okay, but I would consider larger seats as I am a tall person and leg room was a bit tight. Staff was pleasant at Plattsburg airport, a bit less at Fort Lauderdale but still reasonable. No entertainment was offered.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by S Mathupala    (USA)

Standard

I first flew Spirit in November 2013 on a return trip to and from Cancun, Mexico. Booked on Spirit after coming across the cheap prices on Kayak. I went to the airport ready to do battle but, much to my surprise, I was quickly processed through, there were no surprise extra costs, and the flights were in fact uneventful. I again flew last week to and from San Diego, and the experience was the same. Yes, I wish they had better seats with more leg room, and perhaps provide some sustenance during the flight, but I guess one has to prepare for lack of such amenities when flying budget. Would I fly with them again? Yes, I would. During the four flights I had with Spirit, I saw the ground/airport crew work overtime to make sure that we did not miss the connecting flights when there were delays, sometimes personally escorting/directing the passengers through the maze of airport hubs, and the on-air crews were always pleasant.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by J Feistel    (USA)

Standard

Hidden fees all over, terrible customer service, rude staff in every department! Every bag you have is extra money checked bags carry on bags and they tell you none of this until after you have bought your ticket. It even costs money to print your boarding pass at the airport. Your carry on can weigh 50 lbs which costs you different amounts based on when and where you tell them you have a carry on. Then if you check a bag it costs you another 50 bucks if it weighs over 40lbs! I have flown plenty, this is by far the worst experience I have had with an airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  12 April 2014 by Tom Chung    (USA)

Because their rate was much lower than all other carriers, I decided to try Spirit for my recent Chicago to Las Vegas round trip. I found the planes to be reasonably modern and the service to be fine, but what really bugged me was that they charged for everything! Seats, checked bag, carry on luggage (if you do not pay at time of booking it jumps to $100 per piece at the gate) beverages (including water and coffee!) and snacks. I understand that it is a low-fare and no frills airline, but, really, must you need to charge for everything? This cannot be a long term business model. You don't feel that you got the value for your money. I am a frequent business flyer who logs between 40-50 thousand miles per year. I have a few favorites, but I am always on the look out for options. Needless to say, Spirit has been erased from my list. I don't have much spirit for this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by T Lewis    (USA)

Standard

Flight from LaGuardia to MCO (Orlando) with a connecting flight in Detroit - absolutely mortified with the check in service at LaGuardia. My 17 year old son brought his skateboard on the flight as it is permitted with the TSA guidelines. When we got to check in, the man at the desk said Spirit has different policies but he would allow it if we pay extra $50 to bring the skateboard on the plane. He said he would call the gate to let them know. When we got to the gate, the people almost didn't allow us - the guy at check in didn't call. When we got into the plane my son had his board and the people on board said oh yeah that's fine! When we got to Detroit, we looked at the receipt to explain to the next flight attendants and we were shocked when we saw $110 on the receipt. The man at check in deliberately lied to us. Spirit flight was fine, no TVs but that's fine. Absolutely outraged by the check in service at LaGuardia.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by Andrew Fioramonti    (USA)

Standard

On Sunday, March 30, 2014 my husband and I endured the worst experience we have dealt with regarding any airline. From the moment we got into the line to proceed to the service counter where we engaged with the rudest of service reps, to the poor representation or should I say lack of representation when I called to check on a charge for our carry-on luggage and additional charge for so called extra poundage on our check-in bag. The bag (they said) was 7 lbs. over when on a previous flight with JetBlue it was 4 lbs. under. How does that work? Never, fly again with them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by David Sanford    (USA)

Standard

Had to find quick non-stop flight from Dallas to Orlando. Spirit fit the time frame and would have me there by 7.08pm. When we arrived at DFW flight was on time. Then at 1.30 the flight board showed a 90 minute delay. By 2.30 it was a 3 hour delay. Instead of leaving at 3.39pm it was now a 6.45pm departure. First time my wife and flew Spirit and was surprised at all of the added fees. Time was of the essence so we gave it a shot due to having 'lower' rates. Total cost would have been comparable to other rates from airlines with a better on time average which I learned while sitting waiting for my very delayed flight. I will always take a few minutes and always check an airline out online if I am not familiar with them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by Mary Flaherty    (USA)

The worst airline I have flown! Filthy, seats too small. Seats don't recline, jammed 3 in a row and you had to keep your body still or you hit the person either side. Stewardesses? Looked bored and put out when asked a question. Hit with baggage fees on check-in, pay to sit next to the person you traveled with! Will never fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by Stanka Disheva    (USA)

Standard

The worst flight experience my husband and I have had! It cost more for our 2 carry-ons than the cost of our tickets. The flight attendant who checked the boarding passes was terribly rude and unprofessional, the service on the plane was outrages. Nothing is free, even the water. Narrow seats, dehydration, one restroom out of order. We flew from O'Hare to San Diego on March 28 2014. At the gate I went first pulling my carry on, at the plane entrance I noticed my husband was not behind me. I went back to check and saw my husband being charged for his carry on. At that time, the attendant started yelling 'They have two, they have two' so the attendant charged my husband another $100 for my carry on! There was no explanation, no kindness. It wasn't my fault that the flight attendant let me go at first and then, when I came back she treated me like prey she has missed! I will never ever fly with Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by Sandra Lavigne    (Canada)

Big

People who complain about the fees and whatnot must not read before booking their flights. The site is very clear about the various fees all the way through the booking process. With the membership we saved a ton of money on our flight, even with baggage fees and the extra fees to reserve big front seats, it was still cheaper than flying a major airline, even if we cashed in airmiles. As far as customer service goes, we had no issues. Staff at Niagara airport were fine, we had no issues and because it's such a small airport we got through check-in and security in record time. The flight itself was fine. There was a technical issue with the gate, but even after having to switch gates we still departed on time. Big front seats are worth the extra money for sure. On the way home we had very friendly staff at Ft Lauderdale airport. There was an issue with the cleanliness of the plane on our return trip. Our seats weren't spotless but not gross, but it seems that the cleaning crew didn't notice that someone had been sick in the row across from us. A passenger unfortunately put her hand in it while getting to her seat and had to go back out to the terminal to wash it off. The flight attendant was very sincere and concerned, apologized to them and everyone in the area, got the cleaning crew back in asap to take care of it, sprayed some air freshener, apologized again and again, and had the passengers from that row seated in another row for the flight since there were some empty seats. It was unfortunate but the attendant handled it perfectly and we still left on time. The rest of the flight there were no issues. Even with major airlines I've almost always found garbage in the seat pocket that got missed, it happens. Overall I would fly Spirit again, but maybe not for a long flight. I recommend it if you want to save some money and don't care about inflight meals and movies (you can purchase snacks and drinks, this is pretty typical of most airlines now anyway, not many provide a free meal or snack these days). If you're a tall or heavy person definitely pay the extra for the big front seats. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. This is a discount airline, so go in with low expectations and you'll be fine.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by R Ponugoti    (USA)

Standard

One of the worst staff ever experienced. Onboard staff was so rude and don't help. They did not let us use the bathrooms when seat belt sign was turned off and bathroom was empty but staff was using it. Our child was coughing and needed a glass of water, first they asked me to pay $3 before giving him water. They charge for everything, bag, seat, water, food. Its looks cheap when we search for the deals but there are hidden prices which makes it expensive in the end. I will never go back and would not recommend them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by J Lauer    (USA)

Standard

Booked flight through Travelocity and had questions about seat selection, check-in, etc. Checked Spirit's site and needed assistance, called twice, girl who answered first call was annoyed with my questions and young man who answered second call was very helpful and courteous. Flew PHL to Vegas-delayed both ways but figure that can happen with any airline-however comfort was affected by broken seat backs and garbage in seat pockets (liquor bottle in one, water bottle and wad of papers with gum stuck to both) taking up leg room. Also had to brush peanut skins and crumbs from my seat to join the pile on the floor before sitting down. Never mind that beverages were not complimentary, they were served but once at the beginning of a 5.5 hour flight. I am truly glad that I finally did make sense of the site and the charges before flying, and knew to print boarding passes and pay for seat assignments and avoid the ridiculously high fees charged at the airport for luggage. I am satisfied only with the fact that we reached our destination safely.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by Edward Collins    (USA)

I had to fly last minute from SFO (San Francisco) to LAS (Las Vegas) one way and Spirit offered the lowest price out of any airline in the SF Bay Area, the trek to (OAK) Oakland Airport was a little further than I normally travel to get to an airport but the deal was too good to pass up. The flight was not full, although I checked in the day before, I was given a seat upgrade to a window seat near the front. The cabin crew was friendly and made the early morning flight easier with humor. Flight duration was exactly as advertised and actually landed a few minutes early and it was a pleasant flight in a brand new airplane. The one thing I did not like were the seats, far too close together, and much too thin. I'm only 5'6" and felt too big for the seats, if it had been a longer flight I would have been very uncomfortable for the for 1 hour and 20 minutes I was in the seat it was bearable, barely. A word of warning: Spirit charges fees for absolutely everything, you want to pick your seat? Fee please, want carry-on luggage? Fee please, You want to check baggage? Fee please, You want a snack on board? Fee please. Credit /debit only, we don't recognize $USD as real currency. However, if you know what you need for a flight, this can be a good deal.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by L Barrett    (USA)

Standard

I'm 5'11", and Spirit's seats may not be super comfortable, but at least there is the saving grace that seats do not recline. There's nothing worse than barely fitting your legs in the first place only to have the person in front of you lean their seat back! I've flown Spirit twice so far, round trip flights from Minneapolis to Chicago. The flight is only a little over an hour long, and for $35, I guess I can put up with a bit of discomfort for an hour. What really gets me, however, is not the size of the seat (to be honest, even higher-priced airline seats are hardly comfortable) but the deplorable customer service at check-in. I checked a bag on my latest return flight from Chicago, but had already checked in online. The system / boarding pass said that I could quick-check the bag - so I went to the airport not expecting to wait in line. After printing out my boarding pass at the kiosk, I stood for a while in the quick-check line section. When free, one of the four or five reps at the counter asked if she could help me, and I told her I just wanted to drop my bag, use the quick-check. She told me, "Oh, we don't have that this morning, you'll have to wait in line" (instead of just taking the bag, which would have taken the same amount of time). So, I went back to stand in line for about 20 minutes. When I finally get back to the counter, a different rep tells me, "You should really hurry, this flight is about to board." After getting through O'Hare's tediously slow security lines, I finally did manage to catch the flight - feeling frustrated and impatient about the whole experience. Next time, I will fly on a different airline. Even though cheap fares are tempting, I have a sneaking feeling that they're not worth the savings.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by A O'Neill    (USA)

Standard

My family traveled to Ft Lauderdale in February. The trip down was fine. The trip back very upsetting primarily due to extremely rude employees. We switched seats online prior to our return flight to the row behind the exit. It was clear we were traveling with an infant and car seat. We were seated at the beginning of the flight in the row behind the exit. We sat there with the employees passing by us for over 2.5 hours. In the last 30-45 minutes an attendant came up and said 'we have a problem' and she ordered us to move because we apparently couldn't be seated with a car seat behind the exit row. We questioned this order because there was only 30-45 minutes left on the flight. So we moved without any help. We accept the baggage limitations and paid for our suitcases. We accept it's a discount airline. We do not accept despicable treatment of paying customers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by J Arana    (USA)

Standard

Spirit airlines has been my worst experience flying. First of all who charges for carry on and still puts the most outrageous policies on check ins. The worst part is they don't bother to tell you when you are buying your ticket that way you don't know and you are forced to pay for it when you get there. Then they charge for boarding passes and for not having a random seat. The staff and their rude attitudes did not make it any better. Being a college student and thinking you got a deal with this flight only to realize that they charge you for everything else. I didn't know what to expect after that. I will never fly this airline again. I'd rather pay for an expensive flight that doesn't nickel and some you at every corner.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by J P McGlade    (USA)

Standard

Poor service, poor communication, poor quality. You couldn't even make up how bad they are. Oversold flight. We had a 6 hour delay that was identified 30 minutes prior to our departure, as a result, we missed our connecting flight. Missed two days of work. Only offered a 50 dollar voucher for all the inconvenience. Not even their 800 number is user friendly. Keep your voucher, I don't plan on traveling with Spirit again. Was told at the airport the plane had broken down in Boston, the pilot had a different story. Spent $1,000 for two tickets, what a deal.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by C Pierce    (USA)

Standard

I flew 3-19-14 and 3-26-14 from ATL to DFW and return. I was prepared for the worst, however was pleasantly surprised. I had only one carry on backpack. I checked the size requirements and had to bring one of my smallest backpacks to fit their requirements, but I had no problems. I brought my own snacks. I had one checked bag under weight limits, so no problem there. I did pay $60 RT for it. I am 5'10" and didn't have a problem. I didn't care about seat arrangements, so I let them seat me. I got an aisle and window seat. The crew were very pleasant, the plane was clean and looked new. Flights left and returned all on time. I paid under $200 for everything and made my reservations one week in advance! I printed my boarding pass in advance when leaving and upon returning. I had no extra or hidden charges as I had prepared myself. I highly recommend them, just decide if their specifications can fit your comfort level.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by T Watson    (USA)

Standard

It cost more for our luggage to fly than it did for my wife and I. Tried to check-in online, the Spirit system would not let me in, so if I wanted to pay for my bags online it was not possible. Spirit airlines has no idea what customer service means. Fees are fees and I pay them on all the airlines, but every other airline I do business with lets me know what the fees are when I'm making reservations, so I know my complete budget ahead of time. My wife's carryon fit in their little gage hole, but they said it was 2mm to high with the handle. I will pay higher rates to avoid ever having to be subjected to that again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by J Mulholland    (USA)

Standard

You get what you pay for. I was forced to give at least one star, otherwise I would have given zero for seat comfort and inflight entertainment (there is none). I am not a tall person and I have never had my knees so scrunched up on any other airline. Also, if you do decide to fly on the cheap with Spirit (not advisable in my opinion), wait to check in and you will get a better seat' if you check in 23 hours in advance, they'll give you the poorest seat unless you pay for it, but if you wait they will be forced to give you one of the "premium" seats for free.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Valerie Dickow    (USA)

Standard

Personnel and flights ok, but often delayed/late. In spite of fees for seats and carry-on luggage, you can save $$ by joining $9 club. Seat rows are closer than most others, so if you're tall, this can be quite uncomfortable. Seat backs are not adjustable-ugh! Trying to talk a live person and get help is impossible. I changed my internet provider and cannot make a reservation using my $9 club membership. I've called all of their phone numbers and cannot get to a live person other than someone "selling" me something who cannot help with changing my email address. Maddening and frustrating to say the least and I'm a $9 club member. I may never fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 April 2014 by J Musky    (USA)

My first (and last) flight with Spirit Airline very negative to say the least! I'd recommend anyone who considers this airline to read the fine print. The baggage fees are outrageous, they don't even give you a complimentary drink, the seats do not recline and there is little leg room, the flight attendants are not friendly, needless delayed flights, gate changes and just a downright greedy airline! There was no inflight entertainment and the "food" (snacks) and drinks were extremely overpriced.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 April 2014 by Steve Zazuri    (USA)

Standard

Delayed when we left LGA to Myrtle Beach by 1.5 hours. Delayed 2.5 hours returning. Computer glitch. We were on the runway and about to take off, had to go back to terminal. Took off 54 Golf bags. Refuelled and took off. Never told about the bags. Bunch of golfers standing around waiting for bags in baggage claim. After 30 minutes finally told. Still don't have my bag. 5 days and no one picks up phone when calling.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 April 2014 by L Schermock    (USA)

Standard

Traveled from Houston to Orlando round trip, Both flights were on time. Airline personnel were all courteous. Seats were comfortable. I read the rules about baggage, boarding passes and other charges ahead of time so there were so surprise expenses. It costs less to list a checked bag during registration and printing a boarding pass at home saves $10. Let them give you a random seat and there will not be a charge for a seat, I got a middle seat on one flight and aisle seat on the other. Good value for the price.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 April 2014 by Edwin Pagan    (USA)

Standard

Delayed about 1.5 hours leaving, and almost 4 hours on my trip back. Only offered a 50 dollar voucher for all the inconvenience. Not even their 800 number is user friendly. Keep your voucher, don't plan on traveling with Spirit again. Was told at the airport the plane had broken down, not what the pilot said when they finally arrived. Couldn't even offer a complementary drink for all the hassle, you had to buy. Low class service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 April 2014 by Saleh Michele    (USA)

Standard

I would try to avoid flying Spirit Airlines. You have to pay for carry on, you have to pay for checked baggage, they want you to pay extra for your seat. They aren't small costs, you pay for your flight and then have an extra $100-200 in other fees to pay. This is so frustrating.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 April 2014 by Dustin White    (USA)

Standard

Flight 939, Denver to Phoenix, March 28, 2014. The 'ol bait and switch. "Our prices are the best! We undersell our competitors by $20 on average!" Sounds great right? Then, you get an email the week of your trip: "Pay Only for What You Use!" Its their pay for your bag policy. Spirit actually charges between $25 and $50 for a carry on bag - depending on how far in advance you purchase. There go those highly touted savings. Good luck to you if you're one of those poor souls who doesn't see this before getting to the gate. Spirit's website lists that "modest fee" as $100 per bag, per passenger. I didn't fully appreciate how good I had it with United and Frontier prior to this experience.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by S Camila    (USA)

Standard

New York to Bogota. All of my flights departed on time and arrived earlier than estimated. The flight was ok, the prices for snacks were reasonable although there weren't many options, the biggest problem in the flight were that the chairs don't recline at all. Another big problem is that all low-cost airlines charge you for the checked bags but Spirit also charges for carry-on luggage, which I found out after I paid for the ticket, with that extra payment it ended up costing the same as a regular flight with United. Heads up! They also charge you for choosing seats! I wouldn't recommend it, because you can get a cheap flight with all of the comforts needed without paying more.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by Cameron Hollis    (USA)

Standard

O'Hare to LAX, didn't realize all the extra charges for bags, seating, etc. Flight was miserable. Ended up flying back with Virgin America instead.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by Lisa Anderson    (USA)

While they have luggage fees for carry-ons which most airlines have for free, your flight is still much cheaper. We found staff to be courteous and helpful from checkout counter to the flight attendants. Complain about not getting a free beverage, they charge 5 dollars for 2, I paid 8 dollars for chips and a cookie with United! It's not outrageous when you would pay more for the same item with a different airline. I paid 4 dollars for a water at the airport and 12 dollars for a cheeseburger so I didn't find the price for a beverage crazy as most but reasonable! If you don't want to pay baggage fees carry a backpack, it is free! We went from Baltimore to Las Vegas and found the flight pleasant. Will definitely book with them again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by Paul Descoteaux    (USA)

Big

I fly Spirit Airlines often, have been using this airlines for years. Yes, they do charge for nearly everything. However, flying from LGA to MYR Spirit is the way to go. Just be prepared, check in at LGA is a real pain. Make sure you get there early once checked in everything always seems to go smoothly. Check in at MYR is much easier and more efficient. Book way in advance and choose the seat you would like, my wife and I always spend the bucks for the wide seats, so much better than other seats. Check out other airlines, you will find Spirit to be the best going between the two airports listed above.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by Mayvelin Gamino    (USA)

Standard

I travelled to El Salvador in South America 10 days ago. When returning to NYC my first flight was delayed and that caused me to miss my connecting flight. Their only option was to stay in El Salvador from Sunday that I was supposed to leave, all the way to Wednesday! They offer to give me a partial refund but was not even going to cover a fraction of a new last minute ticket! I managed to convince them to put me on stand by for the following connecting flight, and after 10hrs delay, I was able to be in NYC on Sunday. When we arrived to NYC they called our names and the lady at baggage claim told us our bags could not be delivered. Today is Monday afternoon and I still do not know where my bags are.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by Ray Antonacci    (USA)

Standard

A disaster. Flight delayed 1.5 hours out and 7 hours back. Gate did not work at LaGuardia after we landed 6 hours late and everyone had to stay seated for an extra hour until we were towed to another gate. Then about 30-50 people never got their luggage on a non stop flight from Myrtle Beach to LaGuardia! No one to talk to when you call for baggage, voicemail tells you to call airport. Airport says call Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by Stephanie Kin    (USA)

My husband and I booked a last-minute trip on Spirit, when we had two previously planned trips cancelled, due to Noreaster snow storms. Beginning with check-in, there was no rhyme or reason to the process. A Spirit Airlines employee was randomly pulling the queue elastics this way and that, to create new lines. Individuals began pushing in front of others, in an attempt to get to the counter. In reading other reviews, it appears that there are random luggage (poundage) limits, at different times and locations. Some mentioned 45, some 50 (what most of us expect). In Baltimore, it was 40 pounds. An extra $105! Coming back, it was $50 for the same weight. Flight times offered for our route were very inconvenient and limited. Many reviews speak of rude employees. Our "attendants" were not rude. They did, however, appear that they showed up to work in whatever they had on at the moment. I cannot state how unprofessional this operation is. You will end up paying more for an incredibly inferior product. In return, you will have seats offering, literally, no room to move, zero ability to recline your seat back, no complimentary beverage (including water) and a distinct lack of professionalism and standards.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by Elaine Johnson    (USA)

Standard

Please ensure you understand all baggage policies and fees prior to booking with Spirit. While this airline markets good prices for tickets, you definitely end up paying more on the back end. Not worth the hassle on the extra fees and the poor customer service. One example, we experienced was the delayed landing into Ft. Lauderdale due to fog. I understand and respect the fact we could not land and had to fly to Ft. Myers, FL until we got clearance. However, I was appalled by the fact Spirit had to re-fuel in Ft. Myers. On top of that, they did not even offer complimentary water during the entire 3.5 hr delay while we were on flight. This is just to name one incident. There are more, but too many to list in this review. All I can say is, you should consider another airline, as you will end up paying the same amount considering their "extra baggage fees", check-in hassle and poor customer service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by D Nesmith    (USA)

Standard

Last month I flew from Myrtle Beach International to La Guardia in NYC. I must say I had a great experience! Check in was a breeze. Did quick bag drop. The crew on board were nice. Flight is only 1 hr 20 min. Same great service on the way back. Did quick bag drop at La Guardia. They had double booked a seat, but the crew were very efficient with solving the problem and we were all able to stay onboard! I'm flying using Spirit again in May! Only thing is the baggage fees which I was not thrilled about. Also there aren't any complimentary drinks or food but the trip was less than 90 minute so it's not that serious.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by Sara Smith    (USA)

Standard

My family has used Spirit twice in the last two months. The first time, my husband booked the flight and was very excited about getting my family of 5 tickets to Atlanta for around $70 a piece. I went onto their website and found that everything cost extra. Luggage, food, printing boarding passes, and even being able to sit with your family. It states that sitting with your family is not guaranteed, unless you reserve your seats starting at $10 a piece. I thought surely they would allow small children to sit with their parents but called to be sure. All they could say was "we cannot guarantee that your children will be able to sit with you, but we will try". My children are 1, 4, and 6, I could not leave that to chance. I was surprised, however, that my 1 year olds ticket was free because he could sit on our lap. They even allowed us to check his car seat for free. We arrived 2 hours early (5am) with plenty of staff to direct us where to go. The flight attendants were nice. The seats didn't recline, but the flight was smooth. The second time, my husband and my son were flying to ATL again. I went to help my husband check his bag and the car seat. We arrive at the Spirit area, there are 4 reps working the counters. We stand in line for 15 minutes with one person in front of us. During that time, several people joined the line behind us. A rep then walks up to replace one of the other ones, points at everyone and yells "if your checking bags your in the wrong line, these are just for people booking flights." She directs everyone to one representative and all of the people who were in front of the line are now at the back. After waiting 20 minutes, it is our turn. We walk up to the rep, and seeing that we don't have our boarding pass pre-printed. the first words out of his mouth are "you know your going to have to pay ten bucks for printing your boarding pass." I explain that we were not allowed to because of the "infant in lap." He then tries to tell me that we are in the wrong line and tries to direct me back to the line I was originally in. He acted like everything was an inconvenience. He checked out luggage and pointed to an area for oversized luggage for our car seat. I didn't go on the flight with my husband and son, so I can only hope that the customer service was better than what we received at the check in counter. So I have had one good experience and one bad experience with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2014 by Peter Panos    (USA)

Their "Fast Bag Drop" at MSP took longer than most normal check-ins at a regular airline and at LAX we had a line of over 100 people as they were having computer issues and the employee's stated it was a common occurrence. Once in the plane the seat arrangements are uncomfortable and unsafe for passengers and crew. Every passenger over 5'8" had to straddle the seat in front of them and everyone on the aisle row had their leg in the aisle, as you could not sit in your seat with your feet in front of you. Your knees would pushed up against the metal seat frame in front of you. When we landed at LAX and the pilot hit the brakes a bit hard to make a turnoff, myself and three others around me all jammed our knees into the metal frames. When I said something to the flight attendant, they stated it was a common occurrence and apologized for the seats being so close.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards