Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Spirit Airlines
1.5 Star Rating: Very Poor

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Pat McGahan    (USA)

Standard

Booked 10 months ahead, unable to check in online. Called and was assured we had guaranteed seats. Arrived and checked in at the desk, and went through to board. Told we had not seats. Only 2 out of 4 in our party were able to board after a long battle.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Daniel Glesby    (Canada)

Standard

FLL-MSP. I have never flown Spirit before but they were the only airline that had an evening FLL-MSP flight so I gave them a shot. Arrived at the airport about 2.5 hours in advance, good thing I did as the line was about 100 people long. I have never seen that before. They had about 8 counters open so it only took about 20 minutes. Prepaid my bag and my seat so no hassles in that regard. Was told that my gate was in the next terminal over so had to walk about 4 minutes to the other terminal, not a big deal as the exercise is good. Boarding was normal and left about 20 minutes late arrived on time. Seat was thin and hard as a rock and tray table was equally as bad. Flight attendants seemed pleasant enough. I live in Canada so I'll probably never have to use them again but might consider if I need to.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Jeffrey Valliere    (USA)

Standard

I have absolutely nothing to complain about on my first Spirit Airlines experience. I know the reputation of the airline, however on my trip I was impressed with the experience for the price I paid. I flew DFW-CLE round-trip just a few days after the route started. I took only a personal size item and made sure I followed all the rules to avoid extra fees. The trip cost me $68 round trip total out the door. Flights were on time, flight attendants were humorous and nice. I will say the experience was no worse than any other airline I have flown (I fly once every 1-2 months) and given the cost, may have been better. This route will allow me to visit family at home in CLE more often. I felt I needed to give credit where it was due given the majority of the reviews for Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Wendy Levenhagen    (USA)

We were traveling from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale and found what we thought was a good rate. But once we added luggage ($220) for three checked bags and 2 carry on's (which we later found out were personal bags that should not have been charged ($90). We asked for a refund which they refuse to do for luggage. Also, their weight limit is 40 lbs. where other airlines are 50 lbs. their website is suppose to look cute but instead it is very confusing and difficult to navigate or find numbers for customer service and get answers to questions.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by J Laird    (USA)

Standard

This is the worst airline I've ever flown with. After all the add ons for baggage ($ 35 for a carry on), seat assignments, boarding pass charges, etc., it cost more than other airlines. The seats were up against my knees (I'm not a large guy) and didn't recline. They even charged me $2 for a coffee. When my flight back to Boston was cancelled due to snow, they wouldn't work with me other than putting me on their plane four days later. Terrible airline. Do yourself a favor and don't fly with them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by K Jeff    (USA)

Standard

Having flown Spirit twice now, I can honestly say that some of the criticism is justified, but most of it is not. I flew to Dallas on Spirit out of Cleveland, which is a new market for Spirit. We actually bought our tickets at the airport to save the so-called "passenger usage fee." We did save that fee, but they charge you more to check your bag at the airport, even though we weren't taking our flight for another two months. So in the end, you do save some money, but probably not enough to justify a drive to the airport. It should also be noted that the people working the Spirit counter in CLE were pretty inept, and the "manager" at the counter seemed annoyed we would buy our tickets at the airport. There was one woman, though, who was very helpful, and tried her best to help us. Based on what I saw at the airport and online, most of Spirit's work staff is outsourced, and our experience makes for a pretty damning case against outsourcing. One step forward; two steps back. When we arrived at the airport for our flight, we had a "baggage drop" pass, since we had checked in online. This suggested that we would simply drop our bags off and go. Or that there was at least a separate line just for baggage drop. No such luck: We waited in line like everyone else. The only benefit is that the line was short. Another step back. The flight was delayed over an hour, though in fairness, much of the country was in the grip of a winter storm, and LOTS of airlines had delays. Now, for the flight itself: Much has been made about Spirit's filthy planes, non- existent legroom, and awful flight crew. I am 5'10", and while the legroom was tight, again, it was no worse than most other airlines. I will say that the seats are pretty thinly padded. The flight back was right on time, crew was even better. All of this came at a price that was well over $100 less than other carriers. And it was a direct flight. So there's the pay-off. I have the spirit to fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by D Bathke    (USA)

Big

I flew Spirit in Feb. with my daughter and her family. I paid for 2 big seats for my daughter and myself from Mpls to Chicago and back again from Chicago to Mpls. When we returned from our cruise my daughter went on line and saw they gave her big seat away. I reserved and paid for those seat a month in advance. How could Spirit just give them to someone else and give her a different seat? I will never fly Spirit again, nor would I recommend Spirit to anyone. They nickle and dime you to death. You must pay $60. for one checked bag and it must be under 40 pounds. You have to pay for water, soda and a simple snack. You get nothing for free.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Roberts Sam    (USA)

Standard

Don't be fooled by the cheap price. You get exactly what you paid for: poor customer service and travel headaches. Do yourself a favor pay little bit more and fly with a regular airline. Spirit is a gotcha airline. They lure you in with the initial cheap price and then they try to screw you in any way that they can with extra charge for carry-on and seat assignment.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Price Kristin    (USA)

Standard

Upon arriving at Myrtle Beach airport my Spirit flight was still scheduled and "on time" per the Spirit flight tracker on their website. I had pre-printed my boarding pass so I continued through security. After going through security, I saw on the flight board that my Spirit flight had been canceled. When I approached the gate where my flight should have been starting to board, there was no one there. Not even a Spirit employee who could answer my question, where is the plane and why is it canceled? I had to go back to the check-in desk to see what was going on. Everyone on that flight was standing in line as well, waiting to see when the next plane would be there. After waiting for 45 minutes to talk to a customer service rep, I was told that the next flight available would not be for 2 days. I asked why it was abruptly canceled and they kept saying "weather". Even though it was sunny in both my departing city and arrival city. I ended up canceling my flight with Spirit and getting my money back. I booked my flight home with another airlines that could get me home the next day. I will never fly Spirit again, and I strongly advise anyone from flying with this company. They do not have reasoning for their random canceled flights and extreme delays in re-booking.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by B Barth    (USA)

Standard

On day 2 sitting in the airport trying to get home after spirit canceled my flight and left me hanging. Will cost me $1000 to finish my travel. Be very careful when you pick your discount flights. I will take my business elsewhere. In fact I nor my family would fly spirit for free.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Manuel F Jaramillo    (USA)

Big

Flew from Armenia, Colombia, to Dallas TX. First leg of the flight was late for no reason. They resold the second leg even when I was actually on time. They just assumed I would be late. They gave me invalid hotel vouchers and left me stranded in the hotel lobby. I had to pay the room by myself. Also, I paid extra for the big seats, and I got a regular seat because they changed the plane and the new one did not have enough big seats.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by A Poli    (USA)

Standard

I will never use Spirit again. The little bit, and I do mean little bit that I saved was not worth it. My flight to Fort Lauderdale was delayed three hours because another Spirit plane that was broken down was blocking our gate. No updates were given beforehand so I was at the airport for five hours before we left. That is not fun with two small children! You would think that they might offer us a complimentary glass of water for that hassle, but they did not. Nothing at all! I was lucky, but some other passengers had no rental car when we got to the airport because of our late arrival! The saga continues for my return flight. We were sitting on the plane for a half hour before we took off due to "high traffic" in LaGuardia airport. What is that about? Then we arrive in NY and the pilot tells us, "when it rains it pours" and informs us that there is a gate door malfunction and we must wait for a power source. That and waiting for our bags took another hour. The stress was not worth the tiny savings. With all the extra fees, uncomfortable seats, and poor service I saved nothing. Do yourself a favor and don't use Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Anthony Broadus    (USA)

Standard

7/24, Baltimore to Bogota - flight 301 via Ft. Lauderdale - Flight 807. 9/2. Bogota to Baltimore - flight 400 via Ft. Lauderdale - Flight 240. I've never flown a budget airline before. Didn't even know it was a budget airline when I booked through Orbitz until a friend told me the reason why it was so inexpensive. Lucky for me, I am experienced traveller and I always pack light. My flight was from Baltimore to Bogota, Colombia (via Miami). These were short flights. All flights departed on and arrived time, planes were clean, crew and pilots were as professional as any other U.S. major airlines with a savings of nearly $250. Yes, I'll take $250 instead of a bag of peanuts, coke and unassigned seats. I got window seats as requested. I forgot to print my boarding pass when leaving Colombia; fortunately for me Colombia doesn't allow pre-printed boarding pass so everyone had to wait in this long line to get their tickets - which didn't bother me because I knew I would catch my flight because there was no way they were going to take off with 75% of passenger at the ticket counter - with all that, we still departed on time.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Robert Vazzo    (USA)

Standard

I flew from LAS-LAX on 2/12 for $20.10, and it was a great flight. First, you can save yourself the $17.99 (each way) Passenger Usage Fee (PUF) by purchasing your ticket in advance at the airport. The agent who sold me the ticket was very nice and even reserved a seat assignment for me at no extra charge. I took a personal item that meets their requirement, so I didn't have to pay to check any bags. My flight was 15 minutes late, but the captain made up for it, so we arrived in LAX well before the scheduled arrival time. I didn't buy any beverages because it's only a 40-minute flight. The flight attendants and staff were friendly and helpful. Let's face it: I can't even take a bus for $20.10!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by K Price    (USA)

Standard

Flying from Chicago to South Carolina. Flight was delayed 75 minutes. We sat on the plane without receiving any updates to what was taking so long for take off. We were then informed the plane would need to be de-iced. 45 minutes later we were finally ready to take off. I will never fly Spirit Airlines again. Poor service and not worth the hassle. We could have driven to our destination quicker than our time spent at the airport and waiting on the plane.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by E Brookins    (USA)

Standard

Hidden fees all over the place. I could have flown 1st class somewhere else and been far happier and a lot more comfortable after all the hidden fees. $10 to print your boarding pass, $50 per carry on (it says 1 is included) however, their carry on size is far smaller then every other airline we've traveled with. Staff in Fort Lauderdale airport were rude, from ticketing counter to the gate attendant.Would you like a soda on board? That'll be another $3.00. Our seats on the plane were similar to sitting on concrete. We also had to pay an additional fee to sit in the emergency exit row. We had 4 flight attendants on board not sure why, hardly anyone purchased drinks. They mainly stood in the front of the plane talking about their personal affairs. Myself and my husband were so disappointed in this airline, we would not recommend it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by S Borkowski    (USA)

Standard

LAS-ORD, Nov 15, 2014. ORD-MSY, Jan 14, 2014. MSY-ORD, Jan 17, 2014. Some people are just ruthless. Yes, you pay for everything, but even then it is probably still cheaper than a traditional airline. A simple google of their additional fees (such as their baggage fees, carryon fees, printed ticket feeds, etc.) and you will see them. Many flight delays and cancellations are not even controlled by the airline. I have flown them twice so far and it was uneventful. A situation arose in which I had to cancel two of my flights. Their cancellation fees are crazy (something like 130 bucks each booking), and the rest is credited to your account. Well instead of cancelling the flight instantly like so many people do, I waited a couple of weeks closer to the date. Sure enough they changed the flight time of my flight by only 15 minutes, which allowed me to cancel my flight at no charge, and receive a full flight credit back to be used on future air travel. I used my two round-trip tickets from Fort Myers to Chicago, and on a 50 dollar off promotion day, was able to book four total round-trip flights for only 15 bucks more (wanted a better flight time). I would have never been able to book like that on other airlines. Oh, and the round-trip flights that came from that, uneventful, on-time, sometimes early, and on a nearly empty plane. This airline is not for you if you struggle to read what the cost of everything is, and expect 5 star service. There is a reason this airline charges a "bare fare" because you are paying for you and a small bag, not a small army. I have flown major carriers many times that incur huge delays and cancellations, too. I understand the inconvenience that a delay or cancellation may cause, but sometimes it is a part of flying. Everyone is so adamant about "no cancellation fees" or free baggage when I saved over 200 bucks round-trip to the same destination nearly months apart on everyone's seemingly favorite airline that starts with an S (not Spirit). Yes, you get what you pay for, and if you want to pay more for no baggage fees, no cancellation fees, no boarding ticket printing fees, no carryon fees, no drink fees, etc. then pay for those items upfront like you do on other airlines. Me, on the other hand, I enjoy flying on an airline that charges me far less than other airlines and I can take twice as many trips with a little carryon than other airlines with a couple huge "free" bags and a little more leg room. At least Spirit charges by the item, and doesn't group them all together like other airlines. If it costs you more to fly on Spirit than other airlines, it is, dare I say it, probably your own responsibility. Nobody wants to take accountability for not reading these fees, and that just doesn't fly with me. I had to cancel my flights knowing when I booked that if I did have to, I would have to pay for it. And I did, on one of them. Plain and simple, just read, and if you want a cancellation security blanket to tuck you in at night, then please use another airline. Some of the delays and cancellations will happen on those airlines, too.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by J Jelincic    (USA)

Big

My wife and I flew Spirit the other night from Cleveland to Las Vegas. This is a new route for the airline. We bought two Big Front seats for cheap and it allowed us to have basically a business class seat compared to other airlines. Our flight left on time and arrived on time! I could not have been happier. I am glad Spirit is expanding in Cleveland since United has cut flights and charges too much for tickets. Make sure you understand the bag charges and pay for them if you can before you leave your house. Otherwise it will cost more at the airport. Some people complain that Spirit "nickels and dimes" customers but that is not how I see it. It is more like "a la carte" style where you pay for what you want. I highly recommend flying this airline!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Garza Dawn    (USA)

Big

This is not the first time I have flown on Spirit. We feel that their on going value pricing is deceitful, unreasonable and unfair. Bags should not cost $100 to check if you have to check them at the last minute. Situations come up during travels, not everything can be planned so nicely. Your seats, both regular and "big" are very uncomfortable. I have ridden in both. No seats on the plane recline and are thinly cushioned. The check-in procedures and policy to charge at the counter is unreasonable. Issues, and/or availability to a computer or smart phone can often change, the passenger should not be expected to incur expenses because of it. I was unable to confirm the purchase of seats for the person I made a reservation with, because they did not have an email account. I feel like they intentionally avoid giving important, specific information.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by J Senick    (USA)

Standard

It's 10.50pm. Sitting in Philadelphia waiting for the 8.50pm flight to Dallas. Latest guess from Spirit is 11.41pm. Why? Don't know and they aren't talking.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by R Gecko    (USA)

Standard

I travel Spirit a lot between Ft. Myers and Dallas in the winter to visit my girlfriend. Cheap tickets! If you go to the airport they are even cheaper than buying online 99.9% of the time. It even says on the bottom of the website, tickets may be cheaper at the airport! I have a round trip ticket to go this weekend for $30.22. I fly a lot this way, check your price online then if close run to your airport and get your ticket. I travel with my allowed small bag with no fee, and bring my own drinks! FYI for all you frequent travelers, if you take your water bottle or other drink and freeze it you can take it through TSA as it's a solid and not a liquid, I never pay $3-$4 for a bottle of water at the airport! Yes, seats are not roomy, but it's only 2 hours or so to get there, some times at the airport they even ask you what seat you want to get with no charge if they are 'nice', I got 7A for tomorrow's flight! Have flown several times this year and no problems!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by M Clark    (USA)

Standard

I just recently traveled to Ft. Lauderdale from Latrobe, PA. The flight back to Latrobe was cancelled due to weather. I understood the cancellation due to weather, but the way the cancellation was handled was unbelievable. First it was cancelled 15 minutes before boarding time, and the only way I knew that was because the people that were sitting next to me started to panic! We had to go retrieve our baggage, then we stood in line forever only to be told that the next flight out would not be until the following Thursday! When asked if they could check in to other available airlines they said "well JetBlue has some flights to Pittsburgh but I am only telling you this as a courtesy"!! They would do absolutely nothing to help you out and Pittsburgh was an hour and a half away from Latrobe. It was the worst experience I have had and I fly a lot. I read some comments and people stated "well, you get what you pay for". My flight was not cheap, it was almost $300. That is not cheap. They nickel and dime you every way they can. I ended up going to US Airways and they handled my situation with courtesy and the flight was reasonable for one way. Spirit needs to learn about customer service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by S Palma    (USA)

Standard

I was flying from FTL to LGA with about 5 other people. Upon arrival we came across one of the reps that led to the baggage drop off line, her attitude was out of this world! I have never met anyone so miserable and rude. Once we got up to the desk we were told our flight was delayed but all the screens showed on time. we spoke to 7 different people and all gave us different answers, different times, even cancellations. Absolutely no one knew what was going on. Staff on board was also very rude! Not to mention how dirty and uncomfortable the plane was!! Needless to say I will never travel with this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 February 2015 by M Donfack    (USA)

Standard

Traveled from Baltimore MD to Dallas TX on January 22 and return on January 27. The ticket was so cheap ($89 dollars), I could not believe I was going to board the plane without paying extra. I was very careful during the booking online because there are lot of options that add money to the ticket (seat selection, checking luggage etc..) but everything is on the website. The flight was on time. I missed my return flight from DFW, the lady at the counter was very nice and managed to put me on a different flight with a connection to Chicago (at no extra charge) and I finally arrived in Baltimore at 11.45pm. I would recommend you give Spirit a try.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by J Fakete    (USA)

Standard

Our family of four flew round-trip from Atlantic City to Orlando for $460. It was a great deal. We read the fine print, each packed a small bag for 2 nights [so no baggage fees] and snacks [so no refreshment fees]. Our flight to Orlando was flawless, on time and as promised. One of our family was in a wheelchair, and was accommodated politely, professionally and without incident. Our return flight was scheduled to leave Orlando at the height of the predicted 'Storm of Historic Proportion', but we were able to change our seats to an earlier flight for no charge [Weather Buster policy]. That departure was delayed about 3 hours due to the late arrival from AC [weather related] of our plane, and time it took to inspect it before boarding was allowed. We were the last plane out before everything on the East Coast closed down and all flights were cancelled. Despite 60 mph wind gusts and storm warnings our pilot got us to our destination safely and made a smooth landing. The plane was full of fussy children, but that is to be expected on a flight to/from The Happiest Place on Earth. The seats were small, but sufficient. The fees are annoying, but clearly posted and explained on their website. Our experience w/Spirit Airline was excellent, from customer service, both telephone and in person] to flight. Anyone who reads the fine print should not have any problem, in my opinion. We will definitely consider flying Spirit again on future short trips.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by Edith Collins    (USA)

Standard

My husband and I flew round trip from Boston, MA to West Palm Beach, FLA. Return leg worked very well because we requested aisle seats which gave him a little more leg room. He is 6ft tall and was extremely uncomfortable in a middle seat going down. Coming home a very pleasant Spirit check in person suggested 2 aisle seats. I would definitely fly Spirit again. Didn't buy any extras because they were unnecessary. It was only a 3 hr. flight. We barely beat a blizzard into Boston by an hour or two.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by Rita Okpalanma    (USA)

Standard

Took Spirit from LGA to Myrtle beach SC. On coming back, got to the airport at 9am, flight was for 12.30pm. They kept us in the airport until 11 pm and then decided to cancel the flight. They have no flights for another 4 days. I had to drive from SC to New York on a rented car. I will never take Spirit again. The customer service is the worst in the whole industry. They are rude, unprofessional and disorganized. Yes, refund was issued for the cancelled flight, but nothing said about the inconveniences. They charged for everything even your little carryon.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by R Garcia    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit because I was travelling with a group and they wanted to fly cheaply, we flew from Ft. Lauderdale to Denver, the tickets were cheap alright but they charge you extra for every little thing that you will be much better off getting a great fare from a regular airline. If you add baggage in the airport instead of online, there is an extra $20 surcharge, so our two luggage already an extra $50 for 2 bags became $90 dollars. Secondly, my daughter wanted to sit by her friends after all that was part of a group experience, I had to pay an extra $20 and no you cannot just request a seat assignment like normal airlines. The worst insult was that I paid an extra $25 dollars for sitting in the Exit Row but you know what I could have got it for free if you complained hard enough to the steward that your legs were too long and you would like an exit row seat. So the guy across the aisle from me got an extra seat for with nobody next to them for whining. If you want to fly this airline be obnoxious and you may get what you want for free, otherwise if you are a normal person don't bother, your whole back will just ache because the seat will not recline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 January 2015 by N Antakli    (USA)

Standard

NY LGA - Fort Lauderdale - Cartagena on 12/19/14. Cartagena - Fort Lauderdale - NY LGA on 01/05/14. Spirit Airlines possibly is the worst airline out there! Pretending to be cheap just to rip you off once you buy the ticket! They even charge $10 for printing your boarding pass if you do it at the airport at the counter. Soon they will charge for restroom use as well it would not surprise me. Their customer service is the most annoying in the world.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 January 2015 by Gert Ungerer    (South Africa)

Big

Jan 7 201, Los Angeles (LAX) - Chicago O'Hare (ORD). Chicago O'Hare (ORD) - Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL). You get what you pay for - that would have been good but no at Spirit you don't even get what you paid for and the rudest most unfriendly staff of any airline. I paid for extra leg room upgraded seat on a flight from LA to Ft Lauderdale very nice but they only supplied the seats from LA to Chicago and when we changed planes we were supposed to pay again and they gave us normal seats. Next time calculate all the cost and you will find for a few Dollars more you can fly in a total different class with most other airlines. This airline can only be described as Absolutely Terrible.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2015 by Nicole Picotte    (USA)

Standard

My fiancé and I recently traveled to Jamaica in January on Spirit Airlines. Avoid this airline at all costs. They have you believing you are saving money when you book your flight, but then they charge you an outrageous amount for checked bags, carry-ons, and water-yes, they charge you for water. Absolutely absurd. They also pack you in like sardines. There is absolutely no leg room at all. Oh, and their customer service is a joke. I was on the phone with a robot for like 45 minutes before I even got through to a real person. And even when I got through they were of no help whatsoever. You can't pay me enough money to fly with this airline again. Like I have already said, avoid at all costs!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2015 by S Hammel    (USA)

Standard

The seats are very crowded, if you are over 5'10" forget it. We waited 1 hour on the tarmac for another bay to empty after landing. Once we finally got off the plane we waited over an hour for our luggage to be delivered to the trolley and then they put it on the wrong one. Someone just happened to notice everyone's luggage two bays away. The airline staff wouldn't even let me use the bathroom while waiting on the tarmac for one hour!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2015 by V Ugarte    (USA)

Standard

I think this airline pretends to be cheaper but it is actually not. They charge you for your luggage (even for the carry-on), some of the seats cannot even be reclined, and they charge you for the cheapest snacks and drinks. I traveled to Costa Rica and the flight times were very bad. I had to pay a hotel in order to take my connecting flight the next day. In the end, I spent the same I would have spent in another airline for a worse service (and more inconveniences). I am not going to use Spirit anymore.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2015 by Mark Baron    (USA)

Standard

I will never fly Spirit again! Don't be fooled by their cheap rates. I can't believe how they nickel and dime you. It would have been cheaper to fly Delta and feel a little more comfort. Spirits new seats give you a little more leg room but are so uncomfortable. Made from formed plastic, can't recline and not a whole lot of cushion. When checking the bags in Tampa, the lines were long for fast bag drop off. It took an hour to get through that line. The counter person was courteous but complained about working too many hours and just wanted to go home. Flying back into Detroit, we ended up waiting for a gate to open for over an hour and half. I don't know why we could not have used another gate temporarily to at least get off the plane. Then the stewardess asked people that were not transferring to let some transfers go first. Well everyone decided they were a transfer because they just wanted off the airplane. Then, waiting for our bags was another story! We waited for over an 1 hour and half for the bags. People were getting angry and asking Spirit personnel what going on and all they could say was there were 7 planes arriving all at the same time, and then they closed the door. After waiting all this time the bags showed up on another carousel without even notifying anyone. Our ride waited 3 hours for us to get out of the airport. Other carriers were able to get in and get their customers out on a timely basis. Why can't Spirit?

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2015 by P Ginter    (USA)

Standard

On 12/24 and 1/10, four adults flew round trip from Los Angeles to Guatemala via Ft. Lauderdale. There were no surprises. All flights arrived on time or a little early. We saved at least $250/per round-trip ticket. Seats are cramped and me at 6'3" did take advantage of the aisle seat to stretch out-especially on the Florida to California leg. The newer planes have seats that don't recline-which I appreciate-but the older planes' seats do recline a few inches. Even though we had pre-printed boarding passes on the return flight from Guatemala to Los Angeles-we were issued new boarding passes. So I am thinking that the rule about printing the passes to avoid the $10/ticket fee does not apply to the flights originating in a foreign country. This should be clarified so those passengers don't fret the printing process which can be difficult in a foreign land.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Terri Keyes    (USA)

Standard

My family flew from Detroit to Miami and the flight was great. We had some connecting flights and all were on time with no delays. Staff were friendly and helpful. Read the fine print on the website and there will be no surprises. We were allowed to carry on one piece (personal luggage) that will fit under the seat. We used a backpack and a large handbag and had no problems. We printed our boarding pass at home and then at our hotel on the way back (free). Everything worked out fine and I would definitely fly Spirit again. I flew Delta last spring and it was a nightmare. Read the fine print and get to the airport early.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Charlie Leedle    (USA)

Standard

We will never fly spirit airlines because of the way we were treated. They bumped us from our flight saying we were late to the gate and then plane was running late and they still wouldn't let us on. On the bumped plane they were an hour and a half late leaving, but that's ok. On the return flight we were running an hour late due to a flight attendant running late. This was a horrible experience. Never again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by P Matijevich    (USA)

Standard

Going to my destination was not the problem, we boarded on time and made it safe to our destination, its coming home that was the issue. I arrived at the airport at 6am. on January 3 2015 which was a Saturday and was rudely informed by one of the Spirit attendants that my flight was going to be delayed until 10.30 that night. My flight was suppose to leave at 2.37 that afternoon but I was stuck at the airport for 17 hours. I had asked if I could possibly transfer to another flight. Well, she was no help. I was told that this delay was due to a broken down airplane - that was just one of the excuses they gave me. The only thing I was given was 2 meal vouchers of 7 dollars each. After sitting there for 17 hours, we finally boarded the plane, only to be stuck behind a group of screaming children. The plane landed at 2.30 in the morning on January 4, 2015 a Sunday. Overall, I will never recommend going on any Spirit flight ever again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by S Gaffney    (USA)

Standard

You do not get what you paid for - you get less. Our flight from Ft Lauderdale to LaGuardia was cancelled (with no advance notice), and they could not get us on a direct flight until four days later. They could get us on a non-direct flight (flying Lauderdale to Tampa to Detroit to NYC) but with an overnight (no hotel compensation) - the only compensation they offered for the four day wait was a 30% discount voucher for a hotel - we went over to Jet Blue and were treated well. My husband's brother was to fly on Spirit the day after us on the same route - we called him to let him know of our trouble, he, in turn, called Spirit to confirm that the next day flight was still scheduled and they assured him it was. Needless to say, the day after our problem with the airline, my brother-in-law showed up for his flight, which was also cancelled with no advance warning. Finally - the credit they give you is only partial! Needless to say, none of us will fly this airline again. P.S. Regarding the rating of Spirit - I would choose 0 if it were an option.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by L Hadfield    (USA)

Standard

The seats were small and uncomfortable. The low ticket price lures you in, but after you pay the outrageous baggage fees (including carry on baggage fees), you could've just spent a little bit more to fly on a better airline. You are not even given a complimentary drink (including water).

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by G Fain    (Israel)

Standard

Flight: 197, 6 Jan 2015. Flight: 174, 9 Jan 2015. LGA-FLL, FLL-LGA. The first flight was delayed by an hour due to the fact they decided to de-ice in the last minute. This is a safety must as I know, but they could do it sooner since there was almost no snow and no rain or hail at all. The 2nd time the delay was 3 hours. During the wait the announcement claimed that the reason is ATC delay. Eventually we found out from the gate agents that the Aircraft we were meant to fly on has arrived an hour and a half after the designated departure time. At that, boarding has started after 35 minutes, resulting in another delay. At both flights there were no staff members who spoke good English. On the 2nd one they barely spoke any English.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Anne Sandstrom    (USA)

Standard

Will not fly Spirit again. Not worth it. We (4 of us) just flew Spirit Jan 1st 2015 to Florida and back on the 10th. Cheap? Nothing about Spirit Airlines is cheap. It might look cheap compared to other flights but if you add in your luggage costs your not cheap. If you don't look into it and read the fine print you will be charged for everything including your carry on! We knew we had to pay for luggage but when told we can pay for luggage at check in we were unaware of the increase amount per luggage you would be charged. Also, you would have to pay extra to reserve a seat, isn't that what your tickets are for? Nope, you get what's left over unless you pay extra. Carry on in unable to fit under seat, you pay and that's more than your actual luggage cost! Seats tight fitting, no reclining seats, which is fine as with hardly any room to begin with if someone reclined you'd be pinned! Lets not forget no more peanuts or pretzels and a water or soft drink, if you want it bring it on with you or pay their prices! We would have probably saved money had we went with another airline when its all said and done.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Corey Sealy    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines is actually not the cheapest airlines. At the point of ticket purchase, you may think that you have saved $20, but think again. You will charged $50 for your carry-on item each way, so that's $100 extra dollars spent. Their customer service is horrible, even in person at the airport. Lastly, don't even think to reschedule your flight, because that will cost you over $120+. Not to mention the fact that their aircraft's seating is comparable to lawn chairs, with leg room comfortable for anyone under the height of 5'6".

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Eric Prince    (Canada)

Standard

I have used Spirit Airlines often over the last 3 years and am very happy with the company. I go from Plattsburgh to Fort Lauderdale as often as I can and am really happy that I can book trips for as cheap as Spirit puts them on for. I have booked trips this winter in September, October, November, December, January and February and all of the return flights have cost me $46.10 each. The plane is an airbus 300 and you feel like you are on a bus. There are no extras,t he seats are tight and do not recline but the flight is direct and I manage to bring my own extras as snacks and water and save on the cost of the flight. Instead of having a more comfortable seat with a free drink and a stop over along the way,I get there faster and put the 250 dollars I save on each trip towards lots more fun when I get there. They provide exactly what I want so I hope they do not change.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by L Hadfield    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Josephine Salemi    (USA)

Standard

This airline is unpredictable and unreliable, having worked in the hospitality service, I am astonished with the lack of communication and lack of helpfulness the staff provided. Once arriving from an international flight that departed late because of Spirit, the staff knew we were in the airport and did nothing to assist with getting on the flight even though it was clear that the flight left late and arrived late due to Spirit. The staff said quote "Run" when I asked for help in attempting to make my flight. Needless to say I will be arriving at my final destination with a bus 40 minute bus ride, and another layover and no financial compensation for this disaster. The flight itself was uncomfortable, had no provided entertainment, no snack or beverage and if a consumer wanted to purchase food or beverage it was told that cash was not acceptable and only could take credit cards. The pilot announced decent early with another 25 minutes in the air, exciting all passengers that needed to arrive on time to catch another flight. Spirit is not a comfortable or acceptable was to travel if you need to get where your going.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by John Ebersole    (USA)

Standard

We flew from DFW to Ft Myers on Dec 27 and back on Jan 3. I bought 6 tickets and after checking other airlines Spirit was so much less expensive so I decided to give them a try. I was a little worried after reading some poor reviews online but I have to say that the entire experience from check in to landing was excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful both in Dallas and Ft Myers, the flights were on time and the landings were some of the smoothest I've experienced. We prepaid for our checked luggage and printed boarding passes before we got to the airport so we didn't encounter any unexpected charges. No the seats don't recline but I really hate it when the person in front of me lays their seat down into my space so that is a plus for me. Yes I had to pay for drinks on the flight but since I saved approximately $2000 on the tickets I didn't mind too much. I recommend using this airline anytime but review the website before you go. They are upfront about all the additional charges but you have to read the information.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by N Cee    (USA)

Standard

First and last time flying Spirit, 1/2/15 - 1/5/15. 1) The bag dimensions I was given on the phone were smaller than the actual bin they have at the airport to double check. The luggage I was using was 2 inches larger so I stuffed everything into a small duffle bag. 2) Flight was delayed 4x due to "crew problem". I arrived in Tampa 4 hours later than scheduled and it took 2 more hours to get to our hotel because I had to keep calling and rescheduling the shuttle. We lost 1 full day of our short 3.5 day vacation because of Spirit. They offered no credit at all. 3) Flight going back to Chicago delayed an hour for no reason. They kept switching gates between A16 and A17 and people were so confused we all stood there looking at each other. Someone going to Dallas boarded the Chicago flight in the confusion and they had to run after him. Once we were on the plane, we had no pilots! When they finally showed up, they explained over the intercom that they had just flown the plane in the next gate in from Detroit and they thought they were flying it back to Detroit. I think we left 30 minutes after our delay time. At this point I am glad I arrived in one piece. If they had offered some small piece of something to show they cared, maybe I would consider flying them again, but absolutely not. If they gave me a free round trip I wouldn't accept.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Elisa Shafer    (USA)

Standard

They suck you in with cheap ticket prices, but then ravage you with extra charges and fees. The extras fees for us totalled $150! $40 per early checked bag (If we had checked in at the airport it would have been $100 per bag, and $10 per person. Oh and a carry-on would have been another $100.) Plus their weight limit is 40lbs, so if your bag is over that, it'll be an additional $25. Also, if you don't pay the $100 for a carry on to go in the overhead bin, they won't let you stow it up there, because it's reserved for those who did pay. Then we had to pay for our seats, which would be free if we were ok with random chance seating. Also because we had to take a connecting flight, we had to pay for seats on both planes. Then icing on the cake the regular $20 in taxes and fees. It should be considered fraud! In my opinion, if you want a no frills airline to save some money, check out Allegiant. They do it right. The way Spirit does it, by the time you're done with all their extra fees they're no cheaper than anyone else. Allegiant still keeps it cheap, despite the extra fees they charge. We paid the $18 for the "Big" seats, but when we boarded the plane, the ones we had chosen/paid for didn't even exist. They were just regular seats! The plane layout their website had given us to choose seats on was wrong!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Fleury Markos    (USA)

Granted, the prices are cheap, but you will more than likely be disappointed. My brother and I had a reservation to fly to New York from Ft. Lauderdale, and the flight was canceled, not delayed, but canceled due to "bad weather" and "air traffic." All weather updates displayed sunny weather at 20°+ temperature. All other airlines were still on track to fly to New York except for Spirit airlines. No attendant could explain as to this specific airline can't fly. All flights to New York were canceled for 4 days all due to again "bad weather" and "air traffic." As an added bonus, refunds take about 7-10 business days. Even if you were able to book another flight with a different airline, you possibly wouldn't be receiving your money back for anther two weeks. Spirit airlines is known for having many delays. Don't fall for the cheap prices. Save your time and money.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by R Atkins    (USA)

I bought a ticket with Spirit Airlines due to their low price. However, I didn't factor in the enormous amounts of extra fees that I'd be paying in the end, which is my fault for not having thoroughly researched an airline. After purchasing my ticket, we paid an extra $170 in fees. For a one way trip. $80 for two checked bags, $20 in government fees (this is normally included in the ticket price I assumed). Then we had to pay for our seats for both the initial flight and the connecting flight, so four more charges totalling $70. They have a random generated seating option which is free, but then my fiancé and I wouldn't have been sitting together for our vacation, which I think is absurd. Overall, the base fare is cheap, but with the nickle and diming that they do afterwords you're better off finding a different flight. I would recommend JetBlue.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Amy Borman    (USA)

Standard

We recently took an evening flight from Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Denver, CO. I was traveling with my husband and two young children, The plane was filthy - there were crumbs and pistachio shells on the floor. The airplane was a disaster throughout - the floor desperately needed to be swept and/or vacuumed. Water was $3. Seats do not recline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Michelle Rainey    (USA)

The only good thing I have to say about this airline, is that the seats were comfortable. Right from the start I realized my mistake, 90 dollars to check an under 25 pound bag round trip. Are you kidding me? Then failing and refusing to give me a receipt for the transaction. Everyone of clerks and flight attendants were rude and seemed to have a personal vendetta against their passengers. And the horrible experience of that flight was only topped by my return flight, where I was promptly informed that I had not paid to check my bag already. And that's when my life degraded into a 4 year old argument with a flight clerk, the back and forth of "No, you didnt" "Yes, I did!" Drawing every onlooker in the near vicinity. I had to demand a manager, I almost missed my flight. Then another 2 hour flight on the only airline that wants to charge you for juice.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by C Grussendorf    (USA)

Standard

Will never fly Spirit again. Seats were uncomfortable - staff not very attentive. You have to pay extra for everything and the prices are not cheap at all. We would have been money ahead flying with a different carrier. Our flight from Chicago to Vegas was delayed by 4 hours. We were originally told it was due to mechanical problems - we found out from the pilot when we were taking off that our plane was actually given to a different flight and we had to wait for a plane to be available for us. Not sure what made our time any less important then the passengers that got our plane.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Anthony Milbut    (USA)

I will never fly Spirit again. If you don't do your research prior to selecting Spirit, you will be angered by the all the charges levied upon arrival at the airport. First off they have a 40 pound limit for bags. There are charges for each bag, whether you check it online in advance or check at the ticket counter, it is expensive. If you have a personal bag and a carry-on you will get charged $50 at the counter and $100 at the plane. Spirit charges you over $50 to select your seat. There is no beverage service in-flight. Overall, it was a terribly expensive flight with no upside. Do not fly Spirit Airlines!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by D Jackson    (USA)

Standard

My flight to Chicago O'Hare was uneventful, but my return flight to Denver was awful. The flight arrived 1 hour and 20 minutes late even though it left on time, apparently it was just mis-advertised/scheduled. Once it finally arrived in Denver it took 45 minutes before the luggage started to show up, then only half the luggage actually made it to the carousel. After another 45 minutes, a conversation with an extremely unhelpful ticket agent, a supervisor, and an extremely rude spirit attendant (in the baggage claim area) the rest of the luggage finally arrived. Not once did any of the employees apologize for the inconvenience or actually try to remedy the situation. In addition the baggage fees are ridiculous, they even include a $32 fee for a carry-on. These fees alone negate any savings you think you are getting. I will never fly this airline again, I will willingly pay more for better service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by A Zich    (USA)

Standard

I assumed Spirit airlines was a traditional airline since I booked the tickets like I book all my tickets and there were no notifications of additional expenses or the non-traditional business model. Now that I know more about the model I think they may be onto something but not informing customers that the seats are cramped especially on longer flights and that you need to pay for all baggage is poor business practice. I actually paid more for this flight with the baggage fees than I would have for a major US airline. In other words I actually paid more for less comfort, no entertainment and a poor experience. This was once of my poorest flight experiences to date - this is based primarily on comfort and the fact that I felt duped. If Spirit had been up front with their business model I likely would have a different opinion. Businesses like this are made on repeat customers not a continuous stream of first time customers. Good business model if you really can provide seats for cheaper (mine wasn't cheaper) but poor execution. I will not be a repeat customer.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by Al Langman    (USA)

Standard

Terrible experience. Only 2nd time I've used this airline and will never use them again. My wife and I had a change of plans 4 days after booking for a flight 2 months in the future. Original tickets $440 - $312 in change fees = $128 refund that has to be used in 60 days on Spirit Airlines. You can be the judge if this is fair treatment. You get what you pay for!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by L Page    (USA)

Standard

Do not fly spirit airlines. A regular price ticket that was really no cheaper than the other airlines. The reason we chose Spirit is because the flight times were just what we wanted. A fee for carry-on baggage. When did this become acceptable? There were three different levels of payment - $35 if you paid online for early check-in, $50 if you paid during check-in or $100 if you paid at the gate. No complementary beverage service. On our 4 hour flight, no drink was offered without a fee. Not even water. All these extra fees added up to a trip which was actually $150 more expensive than using a different airline. The seats do not recline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by L Davis    (USA)

Standard

I was a member of their $9 fare club. I personally didn't notice a difference in anything! You pay for absolutely everything. I was flying from Michigan to Fort Myers. Customer Service is unfriendly. My plane was delayed two hours. Once finally on the plane it was delayed another hour due to the engine overheating or whatever. PA system was kind of garbled. Only at that point we were offered a complimentary drink and snack because of the delay. The seats are tiny and you're charged for picking your seat. (Delta doesn't charge you for that).

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by J Stein    (USA)

Standard

This is the worst airline out there. $10 for checking in. $50 for carry-on (make sure you pay for them at check-in or its a whopping $100 to carry on a bag at the gate), $45 for checked bags, $25 for anything over 40 lbs. Extra charge for seats. The prices aren't even that much better and the schedules often not good. In fact, what you save in ticket price, you more than double in fees.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by H Camielle    (USA)

Standard

This airline has to be the worst I have ever traveled with. I don't know if it's because of the holidays, or if they are just always like this. Their tickets might be cheap, but you pay for it in every other thing that they can think of to charge you for. Don't bother bringing carry on thinking you'll save money, 50$ to check carry on. Don't forget they charge you for a small cup of water. That's not really what irks me though - it's the fact that this airline doesn't seem to have anything together. Everyone of my flights were delayed by an hour to 2 hours for random and not clearly explained reasons. Everyone is fairly rude and not reassuring. Not only have these delays inconvenience myself, they also inconvenience the people coming to get me from the airport. All in all, poor service, poor comfort (the seats don't recline at all). Terrible prices for luggage and food. I am completely disappointed with this airline, and I don't think I will ever use them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by J Woodring    (USA)

Standard

I flew today with my family of 5 from Houston to Orlando, we arrived at the airport 2 hours prior to our 7:20am flight. When we arrived at the ticket counter for the "fast bag drop" the line was out the side doors of the Houston airport with 1 person working the baggage counter. We waited in that line over 40 minutes. When we were asked to come up to the counter the Spirit worker was very snappy and rude. We made it to the gate and started boarding an hour after boarding time.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by Dexter Kearney    (USA)

Standard

Sept 11-16, Flight 501, Flight 520 returning. We flew Spirit for the first time in sept 2014, Kansas City to Las Vegas. Our flight going was acceptable but the return flight was downright horrible. First we get to the airport and there is a line about 3 miles long. We tried to do online check in but the site was down. Then the worst of all the flight was delayed 3 times, I will never fly this outfit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by S Meyers    (USA)

Standard

I just booked a trip with Spirit but am going to cancel and take the loss. Talk about a rip off. They charge more for baggage than any other airline, including carry-on. You have to pay for a carry on unless it fits under the seat. Their cancellation fee is higher than any other airline and you have to pay for an assigned seat. While their fares seem reasonable at first, with all the add ons they are more expensive than most major carriers. It's almost impossible to reach a human being on their customer service line.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by D Snyder    (USA)

Our flight was reserved as part of a AAA vacation package to Cancun, Mexico. Had we known about the lack of free non-alcoholic beverages, not being able to recline the seats, and being wedged into a seat like a sardine I would have not flown with Spirit Airlines! Luckily, our hotel had a working computer and printer for the boarding passes. Otherwise we would have had to pay at the airport for not having boarding tickets. And, why did we pay to be in an early boarding group for the entire round-trip if our boarding group and the next boarding group were called to board at the same time? This happened at both legs to our destination and both legs from our destination! Luggage cost: Spirit charges $40 for a 40 lbs suitcase at the time of on-line check-in, $50 for additional suitcases. We had three suitcases. Yes, it's a bit cheaper if paying for suitcases at the time of reservation which we could not do because we booked through AAA. The cost per suitcase is even more for heavier suitcases and if paid for at the airport. Last I checked most other airlines accept up to 50 lbs per suitcase for about $25. By the way, some airlines allow up to 70 lbs per suitcase for international flights. We and several other passengers almost missed the connecting flight from Fort Lauderdale to Baltimore. We flew in from Cancun, picked up our luggage to take through customs and then followed the signs to the location for re-checking the luggage. No one was at the re-check location, all of us had to go upstairs and re-check our baggage at the regular ticket counter. Having said all this, the prices aren't that much cheaper and after all the nickel and diming the cost is nearly the same as other airlines. We rather pay a bit more up-front and have more leg room, free water/soda, recline our seats, not worry about being able to print boarding passes at our hotel, and have an agent on-site for luggage re-checking after going through international customs.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by K Logan    (USA)

Standard

I am sitting in a hotel room on Christmas Eve eating Chinese food due to the fact that two hours before departure, Spirit cancelled the flight from ACY to RSW. They could not book anyone on another flight to Florida because they were apparently already booked solid for the next week. I have been a loyal Spirit customer in the past, but will never fly with them again. Cancelling a flight on short notice Christmas eve is simply unconscionable.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by R Yang    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines invites all passengers with pre paid carry on to board first, so there is no way passengers won't get space above seats storage. I recently flew to Vegas from Philadelphia, then Vegas to Oakland/SF, then back few days later Vegas to Philadelphia. All of my flights were on time and arrived early.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by Gene Ryan    (USA)

Standard

Spent 4 hours on tarmac before getting to terminal, then 3 more hours in line waiting to get through customs. The staff were extremely rude. We then missed our connecting flight which was the last one for the day. We were supposed to have a 4 hour layover, but because of the unexplained delay, we were instead forced to wait until the next day for a flight. There was no explanation for the delays. The weather was good. There also was no courtesy from any of the Spirit staff. We were told to just deal with it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by Judith Lombardo    (USA)

Standard

My perplexing journey began when I sent a question to Spirits customer service the week before Thanksgiving, I am still waiting for a response. I learned very quickly and painfully that if you want to choose a seat on the plane, you do pay. If you want to bring a carry-on, you do pay. If you want a drink, you do pay. Another painful discovery I made on this journey is that they change prices on an apparent whim. When I went online to check in my bag, the information said it would cost $25. When I finally got to the payment page, there was a notice that the charge had increased to $27 due to the holiday, but when I actually submitted my payment, I was charged $30 for my checked bag. On the flight home, the online charge for the same bag was upped to $40 - with no explanation. I also discovered that when some people bring food onto the plane rather than buying it on the plane, the variety of smells can become nauseating. On the first flight, the seat backs had been scavenge, they had no padding or covering. The tray tables held one drink and one cup, but I'm guessing that they don't get much use anyway since you have to pay $2.00 for water. Then, when we arrived at the gate, no one came to let us out. The captain eventually said that the gate people didn't know we were there. I guess they didn't recognize the large object parked on the runway outside their window. This is only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. All-in-all, experiencing Spirits “bait and switch” tactics, I refuse to ever repeat that mistake.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by A Berthoud    (USA)

I recently traveled from Denver to Vegas for the first time on Spirit Airlines. As soon as I got to the airport I was not only surprised by the $40 checked bag fee but the $50 carry on fee. But knowing that a lot of airlines are charging bag fees I paid and moved on. We got to the seating section of the check in and it offered for me to select a seat for additional money or have it randomly picked. I was traveling with someone but thought surely they wouldn't separate passengers traveling together. I was wrong. Then of course they couldn't even offer a free drink. My seat just fit me and I had to have my arms crossed the entire flight. On the flight home I paid $81.00 for a checked bag and the privilege of sitting next to the person I was traveling with. The only positive was the flight attendants traveling home who were extremely funny. I will never fly this airlines again and will be sure to tell anyone thinking of flying with them not to.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by Ronald McAvoy    (USA)

Standard

At ATL booked on flight 877 to FFL at 10.15 am, it's currently 2.20 flight delay, very little info. No one at Spirit counter seems interested had to tell them they are suppose to give updates every 30 minutes.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by DJ Rall    (USA)

Standard

I looked for a flight from BWI to Las Vegas and all the other airlines where either completely booked or the fares were ridiculous. When I saw Spirit offering a flight for half price of the other airlines I jumped all over it without thinking or finding out why the fare was so much cheaper. If you thought the seats in other airlines where small, you should see these ones. You have to pay for your bags, even the small articles you have in your hands. Buy your bag pass online for $32 and do not carry a bag onboard. If you want assigned seats it will cost you $10 to $45 to get a seat, otherwise you have to take whatever they give you and let me tell you those seats are tight. Do not ask the flight attendant for anything, you will be charged handsomely. It was still a good deal for me and I am happy I got where I was going but it wasn't too pleasant.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2014 by J Johnson    (USA)

Standard

Poor customer service in-person and on the phone. Delays due to lack of organization. Failure to verify passenger carry-ons, leading to over-filled overhead bins. Passengers who paid for their carry-ons had to sit with them in their seats.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2014 by C Mays    (USA)

3 out of the 4 flights were delayed/late (had layover in Vegas). I am not going to focus on the no frills accommodations because I knew about them before we booked. I am going to point out that Spirit has to deliver on the most basic items they are promising and they did not. The planes were clean. My sons tray had food on it, the floor under our seats was dirty with crumbs, papers, etc. Our flight back to Chicago was supposed to arrive at approx 10.50pm, flight #356. Instead we made it to Chicago at approx 3am. I was traveling with my wife and 2 children ages 3 and 6. In San Diego, we arrived and were told at customer service that the plane was an hour late. Spirit gave our plane to another destination and we inherited a plane that was being repaired. We made our way to the gate and by the time we got through security our plane was delayed another hour or two. No one was providing updates to the crowd. We boarded, flew, landed in Vegas. My family was starving, needed to go to the bathroom, etc. We rushed to pick up a sandwich and then waited before boarding. Again, I have to remind you that I have a 3 and a 6 year old. I also overheard the gate attendant telling passengers that the flight was delayed because of weather which is an obvious lie. I was in San Diego and know the plane was being worked on. I have flown every airline out there and have experienced delays in the past. They take the cake. How they handle business is absurd.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2014 by H Lennart    (Netherlands)

If you just read what the maximum measurements are for luggage and know that you have to pay for drinks, there is nothing to be frustrated about and you get a great price for the flight. I just flew from Panama to Fort Lauderdale. Although a little delay (30 min or something), everything was perfect. In the beginning I thought that they would charge me 10USD for the check in since I couldn't do that online (international flight and not a US citizen). But since we tried we were not charged for that.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2014 by Dave Roemmich    (USA)

Big

Flight got canceled but other family members made it to same destination on other airlines (Southwest). Never received any text or e-mail notice until 10 hrs later. No help or assistance from counter just we will give you your money back. Walked over to United and they were more than happy to help us find flight. Flew back on Spirit as did not want to cancel and not have way home. Flight delayed due to attendant being late. Comfortable seat yes pay the extra $25.00 but regular seats all I heard was complaints of how tight the were. Staff on flight back tired unfriendly. Booked through them do to saving money never again spend the extra few dollars it is well worth it for other airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2014 by Gorodetzky Tamara    (USA)

Standard

One way flight from McCarran airport, Las Vegas to BWI in Baltimore, flight 696, Nov 29. When buying 4 cross country tickets for our family, flying is not inexpensive by any stretch. But, Spirit takes flying to a whole new low. The seats were so close together that my knees touched the seat in front of me. And, I am only 5 ft. 4 in. I felt so bad for the 6 foot tall man beside me. There were pretzel crumbs all over the floor, no complementary beverages (even water), and not even a sick bag in my seat pocket. Do I need to pay extra for that too? Finally, the seat reclined all of two inches which was no reprieve for my discomfort. It is probably the most inhumane way to travel. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2014 by Ehren Knappe    (USA)

Standard

Cheap base price doesn't translate to cheap overall prices. I implore anyone looking at the "low" fares on Spirit and thinking they're getting a deal to think again. This airline is, bar none, the worst airline out there. They will charge you to choose a seat, anywhere from $11-$45 on the flight I took. They will charge you fees to check in at the airport, $10. They will charge you an awful amount of money to the point where it is no longer cheaper than others. Want to bring a laptop? Well, that's an extra $45. Thinking about a drink on-board? More money out of your pocket. Service is horrendous. The flight attendants were rude and you're packed into a sardine can with far less room than you would have on a real airline. It turns out I would have saved more money flying Southwest or Delta. This was all while checking in on-line and trying my best to avoid those extra charges. I didn't choose a seat. I was forced to take one carry-on, and I didn't buy anything inflight. I will never fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2014 by A Rosata    (USA)

Standard

No matter how low their prices "look" because that's simply all it is, a facade with tons of hidden fees to come after you commit to their "low" ticket prices. Our tickets were $275 each which sounded great for a direct flight to FL from MA. Then the nightmare began, $20 per person to sit with my husband on the flight I just paid for. You have to pay for your bags in advance or the prices just go up - who knows what size bags they'll be bringing 3 months prior to their trip. We paid $70 per person for 1 checked bag each. Only a small purse or briefcase is allowed on the flight with you at no charge, if you want a carry on you pay for that too. So we put everything in our checked bags to save money. Planes wasn't very clean and the seats were tiny, don't recline and even better, nothing is free! No snack, no water, soda etc, everything costs money. The staff onboard were stuffy and not cheerful. If you don't check-in online before arriving at the airport they charge you another $10 per person each way. At check in for the flight home my bag (the same weight it was when we left Boston) would cost me $50 due to being overweight - now it's double for the same suitcase. Staff did not want to help and simply said I could either take things out or pay. On top of our $275 flight we spent $275 in "fees" which brought our tickets to $400 per person.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2014 by C Born    (USA)

Standard

This airline is horrible! Our flight ended up being only $30 cheaper by the time we added bags and seats, that's right you have to pay for the flight, the bags, then the seat you want and if you want anything at all on the flight its extra! The seats were cramped, really cramped! The flight was 2 hours late. The flight attendants were rude. Not worth the hassle.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2014 by Sue Failer    (USA)

Standard

Round-trip flight from Minneapolis to Vegas leaving 12/4/14. Upon arriving at the airport, as I was checking my bag today I was told the flight was cancelled. They said my money could be refunded or I could fly out the next day at 11pm. There was no offer to assist me in getting another flight today. As a result I spent 5 hours trying to get a flight out that same day but could find nothing under $1200. Horrible customer service from Spirit and as a result my entire vacation was cancelled.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2014 by Christine Beers    (USA)

Standard

Delayed a couple hours heading from Vegas to SD. Then from SD to Vegas it was delayed several hours. Ended up having to stay in SD an extra night. The staff are horrible and distant, not caring at all. No food or rooms offered. I am now at the airport for my flight that was supposed to board at 9.25am. It is currently 10:30 and the flight has been delayed until at least 12.30. I will not be surprised in the least if it is further delayed. Horrible airline!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2014 by R Yang    (USA)

Standard

Perfect scores on everything because Spirit met my expectation at all categories. Every rule and fee is right there on their websites. Spirit doesn't trick anyone to join their fare club or getting its credit card, it's always about choice of yes or no. Most people complaining didn't read carefully in the first place. Spirit is honest about its seat pitch and the recline - and you can upgrade to nicer seats. Spirit is not for those who can't pack lightly, or going to a job interviews, important event of lifetime. Delays and cancellations happen and many are not the airlines fault, by all means please fly legacy airlines. The key to save money and enjoy the Spirit rock bottom price is reading everything carefully, double check the name and itinerary before buying. Buy tickets at the airport - it waives the booking fee when buying directly at the counter. If the airport is close and there is cheap way to go there it's worth it to save some decent money. If the Spirit website is down when checking in online then by all mean print that screen error message out as written proof to the agents at the airport to print boarding pass for you for free.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2014 by Edward Larkin    (USA)

Big

The staff were so unprofessional! Instead of getting us seated, they were talking amongst each other. We had a big seat and the floor was filthy. We've been using Spirit for about 15 years and they were very good years ago, but we definitely see a big decline in personnel, dirty seats, floors, etc. It doesn't cost more money for at least the staff to be courteous and friendly. We are looking for a new airlines. Last night was the last straw!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2014 by T Ranck    (USA)

I am not one for negativity, but had a been slightly more knowledgeable about this airline, I mostly likely would have booked another carrier for the extra few hundred dollars. I have the feeling its our responsibility as consumers to research and be as informed as possible, within reason. The extra baggage charges, seat charges, etc I could deal with even though I found this out only 2 days before I left for my vacation. What left me with a huge dissatisfaction was the gate attendant. We heard cancellation announcements for other passengers and became concerned about ours. When we enquired, the attendant was very nonchalant and unapologetic and provided no solution to our issue. Had this employee been properly informed, we would have known in plenty of time to get leave the airport, rent a car and drive to Ft. Lauderdale to catch our connecting flight to Costa Rica. The nonchalant attitudes seem to be a common thread throughout this airline. All in all this vacation worked itself out, but it was too much stress because of the unprofessional and unorganized ways of this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by D Kenny    (USA)

Don't be deceived by their low base rate, They will charge> you for everything except the bathroom and squeeze every dollar out of you that they can! We paid extra for luggage over 40 pounds, which most airlines are 50 pounds. We paid extra to ensure we got to be seated together for our trip. Extra for snacks and water! And when you check-in online and you qualify for express baggage check-in, be prepared to wait 45 minutes to one hour! Do your homework and compare bottom-line prices including baggage, seating, check the allowable baggage weight, etc and whatever you do do not choose Spirit Airlines!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by Anthony W Smith    (USA)

Standard

Flight 224, Nov 16 2014, Chicago to NYC and return flight 847, Nov 18 2014. I read the bad on-time reviews and was prepared for the same results. I was pleasantly surprised. The flight was on time going and coming. I would recommend Spirit Airlines in the Chicago-NYC segment. The employees were friendly and helpful. They made my trip excellent.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by Peter Symes    (Denmark)

Standard

The ancillary fees are plainly excessive. From bag charges, small luggage allowances (40lb instead of common place 50lb) plus the fact that carry-on is charged for completely negates the base price is low. On a business trip from Europe our transatlantic fare included luggage fees was less than flying from Florida to Las Vegas with Spirit. We had no chance of printing out boarding passes and were then charged for that too. If there are any other way of going from A to B I will not fly this Company again. It's too stressful and aggravating.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by E Kardas    (USA)

Standard

Traveled from Boston to West Palm Beach for $58 - that wouldn't even pay for gas if I drove. New plane (A320) with great flight attendants and pilots! I highly recommend Spirit, and will fly them whenever I can.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2014 by A Hollick    (USA)

Standard

Flight was $200 compared to an average of $250 for other carriers. Got to gate and was told my "one and only" carry on bag (that fits in the overhead compartment) was too large to qualify and would cost me $100 round trip. That's 50% of the total flight charge. Had no choice as I was already at the airport. Got on plane. Charged $2.50 for a coffee. Lady next to me was also charged for a blanket. I will never fly this airline again. Seat was cramped and uncomfortable.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2014 by A Strauder    (USA)

Big

11/13/2014, Flight 298. Just flew to Houston Texas because of a death in our family. I had heard all the horror stories and did not know what we were in for. However I watched a youtube video on how to avoid fees and enjoy your flight, I followed the instructions and the flight was great. I am a big guy so we paid for the big seats and we were comfortable going and coming back. We checked bags and had carry on, but it was still cheaper than the other airlines. Spirit sent me a number of emails so we would not be nickel and dimed. We went on a sad occasion but the flight was great get the big seats and you will enjoy your flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Marc Rejtman    (USA)

Standard

Deceptive low ball pricing sucks you in - but they then hit you with hidden charges for everything. You will be repeatedly ripped off and end up paying 110% extra for an uncomfortable seat, on a filthy rundown plane, with a surly, rude crew and lousy service! Our round trip tickets (2 adults - One with a carry on bag and one with a checked bag) from Ft. Lauderdale to NY were supposed to cost $280.32 but ended up costing $612.36.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Z Robinson    (USA)

Standard

This was our first time flying with Spirit and we will never fly with them again. My best friend and I took a trip to Las Vegas and flew with Spirit. Myself, as an Entertainer and her as a Hospitality Manager, we travel a lot and work and deal with people. From start to finish, not a single worker was friendly, genuine, or even showed a smile. We received attitude from multiple workers only because they themselves were having a bad day and taking it out on their customers. Most airlines allow you to have your bags up to 50 pounds, but Spirit only allows 40 pounds. Along with that, their prices for luggage (including overweight fees) are ridiculously expensive, and you have to pay for your carry-on as well. There are no complimentary drinks or snacks on the flights and what they do offer you have to pay for and is, yes, expensive. I would not recommend Spirit Airlines to anyone.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Freel Stacey    (USA)

Standard

Used Spirit for our honeymoon to Puerto Rico. I thought I was getting a good deal and boy I was wrong. This airline charges you for everything. After buying our tickets months ahead of time, I then checked a day before we left for our trip and was charged over $400.00 for luggage and to pick our seats! When I checked in the flight was still leaving on time. I then checked our flight again before we left in the morning and it still said the flight was on time. When we arrived our flight had a 4 hour delay. After 3 hours, they then told us it would be another hour delay and that we would be unable to get to our destination that day if we had connecting flights. They put us in a hotel in Fort Lauderdale overnight. The next day after boarding after a 5 hour delay, they then told us all to get back off the for a security check of the plane they forgot to do. They assigned the seats that my husband and I paid for to another family. Ground staff and flight attendants were rude and showed no compassion!! No call back from customer service after a week of waiting.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by L Johnson    (USA)

Standard

I flew November (2014) from Detroit to Denver (and back). I was pleasantly surprised on the following: The plane to Denver was very clean and the flight was on time and staff were pleasant and personable. This flight was in the afternoon and staff did do a "pitch" for the Credit card, but they did not pressure us. They walked the craft, asking if we wanted to buy anything a couple times and walked the craft 3 or 4 times looking for trash - they seem to be on the move quite a bit, back and forth on the plane. They did have a few minutes of down time - where they congregated in the back near the restrooms. I didn't pre-order my seat or additional bags. I had one personal item that fit easily in their "check container. I did not see them question anyone about their carry-on bags, nor did I see anyone angry or any of the Staff acting rudely to the passengers, everyone seemed happy and pleasant. The plane was about 3/4 full. I let them choose my seat. I traveled alone. I was given an aisle seat - a pleasant couple sat next to me. There were children on this flight and 2 service dogs. I wasn't bothered by either of them - all in all a very pleasant flight. You can take food on the plane, and drink (drinks purchased or water bottles filled after security). The plane from Denver to Detroit was a little late leaving Denver (due to snowy conditions and the need for de-icing.) However, we arrived in Detroit very near to our scheduled time. This was a Red-eye type flight. That plane was a little dirty but not bad (crumbs on the seat and some smashed spots on the carpet - most likely from children). Staff were pleasant and they didn't make a sales pitch for their Credit Card during this flight. They did ask a couple times if we needed anything (to buy) and walked the craft a couple times for trash. This flight was less than 1/2 full, so they didn't have as many people to service. I notice they sat most of the flight in the last row reading and talking. Which didn't bother me - it was simply an easy flight for them. I did not witness anyone unhappy with the staff, nor did I see anyone being questioned about their bags. There were a couple children on this flight which did not bother me. I would definitely suggest this airline. However, before booking read their regulations/rules and cost of each service they provide, Do your research and see if it would be cost effective for you. It was for me, I flew for $106.00 (including the yearly $9 club fee). That fee paid for itself in this one flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 November 2014 by Stone Nancy    (USA)

Standard

I was super disappointed with my flying experience with Spirit. I didn't read the fine print on the cost of luggage and seats. I guess that is my fault but pretty sneaky on Spirit’s part. Those are costs that you should really make sure your customers can read. The cost of the flight attracted me, $336 round trip not bad! Then it was another $60 for my luggage and another $40 for my seat. You can imagine my surprise when I sat down in my $20 seat that was truly the most uncomfortable seat I have ever sat on in an airplane. When the flight attendants came around with beverages and snacks to purchase they even charge for water.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 November 2014 by Paul Berlin    (USA)

Standard

We just returned from a round trip flight on Spirit from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas. Cost of the flight approx $255, the next least expensive was $380. A great saving. You need to know their rules as they are a little different in order to save money. Do everything ahead online, print boarding pass, pay for checked luggage, accept random seat assignment. It was a new plane, attendants, young and could not have been more accommodating, none of the grouchy attendants that have been in the unfriendly skies for over 30 years. Left on time and arrived on time. Sure the seats are cramped as they do not recline, I'm OK with that as I do not have the person in front of me leaning back and putting the tray in my face. Both times our one suitcase was waiting for us when we got to the baggage area. Would we fly with them again, yes.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 November 2014 by Lynn Ford    (USA)

Standard

I will not be flying Spirit Airlines again! I would rather drive the 2 hours it takes to get to Charleston, SC so I can fly Southwest Airlines. We had 4 legs to our trip and had no problems until we got to the last leg of our trip. The staff were rude and obnoxious! We were told we had to check the bag that we'd been carrying with us the entire time! The cheap seats are no match for quality customer service!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2014 by Allison Shanholtzer    (USA)

Standard

Spirit's "cheap" flights are deceiving. If you compare the base cost to other airlines it will most likely be cheaper. However, Spirit is amazing at finding every single possible way they can get even one more dollar from you. You can't even get water on the plane without pulling out your credit card. 1 carry on bag is $50. You can't select any seat to ensure you stay with your party without paying at least $10. The seats are small and uncomfortable and don't even recline. Customer service is not a priority for Spirit Airlines. The employees I came across at BWI and LAX, as well as on the phone, were not friendly. Reps were clearly there only for a paycheck which seems to line up with Spirits over all mentality. The only reason I am giving Spirit more than one star in overall trip satisfaction is because both flights were on-time. All economy airlines were not created equally. Thanks for the reminder Spirit. I will forever pay a few more dollars on the base rate and remember that the included courtesy, reclining seats, water/soda are more than worth it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2014 by Keenan Holmes    (USA)

Standard

I needed an emergency flight from NYC to CHI on 10-28-14 returning on 11-2-14. I was able to book my flight for a pretty good price but boy was I in for a trip. Going there was good until I was told I would need to pay for my carry on bag, which would have been $50.00. I went to the rep at the airport gate, she looked at my bag and said it was fine. Everything on flight I had to pay for (snacks, beverage, no entertainment). None the less it was a night flight so I just went to sleep. Now on the return flight is where it went all downhill. I arrived at the airport an hour and a half before the flight, 30 minutes before takeoff they announce it is cancelled, due to crew and they had no other flights to put me on. Their only offer was to reschedule my flight for the next flight out at 6am, or get a refund. I asked for the refund so that I could book a flight on Jetblue. I will never recommend Spirit, nor subject myself to their services again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2014 by Cheryl Sternemann    (USA)

Standard

Once is definitely enough to experience a lousy flight with Spirit. Supposedly offers low airfares, to "nickel and dime" a customer to the point that the extra "hidden" costs equate the original cost of the ticket? For what should have cost $125.00 for a round trip flight from San Diego to Las Vegas, ended up costing me over $200.00. For less than that, I could have flown at least a couple other carriers with a reclining seat, with legroom, free wifi or video service (regardless if I used it or not), free water or soft drinks and a snack (again, regardless if used or not)! For anyone over 5' 3" tall, I strongly advise you go with any other carrier.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by Barbara Hafer    (USA)

I booked my trip, then read the airline reviews and I was quite concerned. But I figured, I was only flying from Baltimore to Myrtle Beach so how bad could it be for the cost - the cost of round trip for both my husband and myself, including baggage, was about $700 less than any other airline flying out of Baltimore, how can you not take advantage of it. First, the website clearly states about any additional baggage fees and carry on fees, so people that were complaining about that, just plainly did not read! I packed one checked bag for my husband and myself, paid for it in advance and made sure it was under 40 pounds. For our personal baggage I had a large pocket book and he had his c-pap machine. I printed my boarding pass the day before our trip and let them assign our seat at no extra cost! We were assigned seats together! Arrived at the airport and was able to go right through to Fast Bag Drop, since I paid for my checked bag in advance when purchasing our tickets. The person that checked us in couldn't have been any nicer! We ate breakfast at the airport then proceeded to wait for boarding which boarded on time and we took off about 6 minutes earlier since everyone was on board. Next our crew was excellent, they provided some entertaining comments which I thought were quite refreshing. One hour later we were in Myrtle Beach. The morning we came home, there was fog, and our plane left about 1/2 hour later but still, everyone was pleasant. The crew on the return flight wasn't as jovial as the flight down, but no complaints. I would fly this airline again to Myrtle Beach and if taking a longer flight, I would compare prices and make my judgement at that time. I think people just need to read. It's not like it's in fine print, it plainly states their rules which I read thoroughly before booking. Thanks, Spirit for making my first trip on your airline enjoyable!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by Mayhue Ike    (Canada)

Standard

Latrobe to Myrtle Beach September 15 and returned a week later. The outbound flight left early and arrived 30 minutes early. The return flight left on time and arrived on time. Service at check-in was friendly and helpful. Service on the aircraft was great too. The aircraft was clean and looked fairly new. There were no unexpected surprises and I was amazed that there was so much space available in the overheads once the doors were locked. All in all a great time. I have a permanent Gold card on American, and have been a gold flier on both United and Air Canada. Spirit is a great airline as long as you read and understand their website.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by K Ashley    (USA)

Standard

Flew into Fort Lauderdale from Boston - went to check in and was shocked at being charged $50 for carry-on baggage. Last minute aircraft change and numerous people were complaining about how dirty the plane was, trash was on the floor and stuffed into the seat pockets. No leg room with my knees crammed against the back of the seat and the person in front of complaining because I wouldn't let them recline their seat. On the return flight we spent over 2 hours online trying to print boarding passes with 2 other couples and none of could get past the log in. We called Customer Service were no help.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2014 by Brad Martinez    (USA)

Standard

First time flying on Spirit, Family of four saved about $800. Flying round trip MSP to LAX, (non-stop) the flight there left on time and landed a little early, yes seats are a little closer than most airlines but again 3.5 hour flight saving $800 not much of an issue for all 4 of us, on the flight back we sat in the Big front seats which are excellent. Yes they charge for everything - Drinks, snacks, carry-on bags, its posted all over their website and they are very upfront about all of the fees. We will definitely fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2014 by Dodds Hannah    (USA)

Standard

Worst flying experience ever. Not only is it cramped and extremely uncomfortable for longer periods of time, but their staff/flight attendants seem miserable and rude. Spirit is awful if you are a planner and don't want to be delayed or on time. I am thoroughly disappointed in my experiences and I will never purchase another "cheap airline" ticket. The $50 you save is not worth it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2014 by Laurie Price    (USA)

We flew out of Portland (an hour and a half late), got to Chicago late and since we were late we missed our connecting flight home to Houston. When we were trying to figure out our next flight the lady told us we could go to Atlanta and then Houston or wait at Chicago for about 7 hours and go to Houston later. So we chose to be active so we went to Atlanta then Houston. Well, the lady didn't tell us that we had to recheck our bags (we should have known to ask, but that's their job to make sure). So we get to Houston and guess what, we have no luggage or car seat for my 6 month old baby. So thank you Spirit for the most stressful 24 hours. I am now sitting in the baggage pick up at midnight waiting for my things when I should be home sleeping.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2014 by K Wilson    (USA)

Standard

Flew with spirit for the first time for our honeymoon to Costa Rica - we knew we had a lay over in Ft. Lauderdale (12 hours) with a connecting flight but we did not mind getting a hotel there - unfortunately our flight was delayed, we missed our reservations for dinner and made it to our hotel by midnight to sleep for 5 hours before we had to make our connecting flight. That flight was also delayed - reason unknown - they offered drinks but were out of most everything. The only thing for purchase was ramon noodles and coffee a strange combo at 7 am. The seats are so small and close together you can't move - the plane inside was filthy all over. On the way back once again our flight was delayed (mechanical reasons) by several hours. When we arrived back to Florida we had already missed our connecting flight - I will say that they took care of us in that instance and since it was their fault we missed our flight they put us up in a Holiday Inn, paid for food and transport and had us out on a flight the next day. That flight was also late - and once again they were out of most refreshments. Maybe I would fly again if I was desperate but probably not.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2014 by Robles Debbie    (USA)

Standard

We used Spirit Airlines on Oct.15th. We were going to Orlando from DFW. It was our first time on a plane ever. The prices were cheap so we went with it. Didn't read reviews till after. After reading reviews we were very worried that our experience would be very horrible. Not the case at all! Everything from the service to the checking in was so easy. The plane was clean and the flight attendants were very helpful and attentive. Would definitely fly Spirit again! Great prices and great service!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by Joanne Maury    (USA)

Standard

Myrtle Beach to Chicago round-trip. 10/15, return: 10/19. My flight was cheap, left on time, arrived early, terminal staff and air crew were pleasant and courteous and the cost was half of other air carriers. I don't need a BFF or ego stroking, just get me where I want to go! I will fly Spirit again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by T Easley    (USA)

Standard

Spirit exceeded my expectations! Before buying a round-trip ticket, I read many reviews from various websites, which all complained about additional costs, customer service, cramped seats, and delays. So I was really expecting the worst. Well, I must say I enjoyed Spirit. People need to do their research first before flying them. I flew from O'Hare to Vegas round-trip for $166. I did the bare fare, I just backpacked 3 pairs of clothing, toiletries, ipad, and few personal items so I would incur $0 in baggage fees. I printed out my boarding pass ahead of time to incur $0 of fees, so just got to the airport and went straight to the gate. I did notice the Spirit check in line was seriously backed up when I got to O'Hare, but flying them I would never bring checked in luggage considering the fees are high. Any snacks I brought in my backpack. So I never really encountered any service people besides the flight attendants on the flight. Both flights were on time, not delayed, and we arrived in Vegas 40 minutes ahead of time. Both flights were smooth and the attendants were fine. The seating to me was like any other normal US airline. The space may be cramped a small bit but the seats were like a fa ke leather and comfortable enough. So Spirit far exceeded my expectations after reading all the bad reviews. Spirit is best if you are going to take a 2-4 day trip, do the bare fare by only needing to pack everything in a small carryon or backpack for free. Print out your boarding passes at home for free. I would not be flying Spirit if you're checking in several bags, connecting flights, etc. I can see where the complaints would come in then. I will be definitely be using them from now on to go to Vegas and future non-stop destinations.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by J Mckeown    (Canada)

Standard

Spirit offers very low fares, and all you need to do is understand what you are getting for that very low fair, nothing but the flight. When I pay $110.00 for a return flight across the country (Detroit to Fort Lauderdale), I am willing to pay extra if required, but some planning ahead means you can avoid most fees. Our plane was new, I upgraded to an exit row seat for $25.00 more, we left on time, and my luggage arrived, what more do you expect for such a low cost? Better then some other airlines I have used. For the people who complain about paying for a carry on, or no free drink, plan ahead and purchase your luggage online when booking for a reduced rate, factor in the cost when comparing flights, or fly with someone else. The entire Spirit business model is you pay for everything, you have no one to blame but yourself if you didn't realize this until you got on the plane. I am happy to pay $110.00 and go without a free can of pop and not use the overhead bin!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by C Law    (USA)

Standard

I did my research ahead of time, prepared my personal item a few days ahead of time (for a 3 day trip) and was ready to experience the worst. I flew from Dallas to LAX and back. The flights left on time, I felt safe in the air, getting on and off the plane was no problem, staff was nice, pilots were nice, I was able to get food and drinks at the airport itself. The seats were small, but I'm short and I had my movies to keep entertained. I hope this wasn't a fluke, because I wouldn't mind starting to use Spirit for my shorter trips, where I would rather use more of my money on the trip itself.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by C Miguel    (Canada)

Standard

I do not understand what the negative reviews are all about. If you paid half the price the normal air ticket would cost then stop complaining. The add-on fees are clearly written in the conditions, if you do not take the time to read them then it is your problem. One thing you can save money is to travel light, bring only a backpack, there would be no additional charge. If the flight is canceled due to weather conditions it is not because of the company. Okay Spirit airlines flights are late, but other companies flights can be also late. If you pay less then you get what you paid for - you should have a higher tolerance level or else travel with Spirit is not for you. I traveled with Spirit to Costa Rica last year in May from New York, the round ticket cost me $367 - the flight was about 2 hours late (did not mind), but the plane was new and clean, staff smiley, and didn't get any unpleasant surprises. 10/10!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by S Greg    (USA)

Standard

Spirit is by far the most unreliable airline I have flown. Aside from the 2 plus hour delays, aside from the cheap seats with super thin backrests/the cramped space, aside from charging for any bag bigger than a size of a purse, it's been a cost effective experience - one in which I'll pay not to ever fly again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by Christine Krause    (USA)

Standard

We flew Chicago to Myrtle Beach and back just last week. All our flights left early and arrived early. Staff at the counters and on flights where courteous, polite and fun! We had plenty of leg and seat room, more than on some other commercial flights I've flown in the past year (my boyfriend is 5'10" and 220 lbs, I am 5'7" and 175 lbs). I was nervous reading all the reviews but will NOT hesitate to fly Spirit again. I am looking for flights for my daughter as I type. I did not purchase any food or beverages, I brought a snack for both of us. The only downside, is the 3.5 hour drive to Chicago. I wish Spirit was closer to Appleton, WI and we would take more long weekend trips. Spirit and Allegiant Airlines offer a wonderful service, great customer care at super rates.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by D Larson    (USA)

Standard

I was very wary about using Spirit Airlines after reading all of the bad reviews. I was pleasantly surprised by what I experienced. First off read the whole website about fees or you will be upset and pay more. If you bring a purse and laptop they will charge you for the laptop, unless you can fit it in your purse. Watch the videos about packing so you have no surprises. I left last Wed out of Minneapolis to Detroit. I printed by own boarding passes so I was not charged. Counter ladies very friendly. I went to my gate, again counter ladies very friendly. The people that were upset and mad were due to them not reading the website and understanding all the fees. If you do not read the website and all the fees you will pay extra at the gate to bring your bag on. Pilots, flight attendants very friendly. I chose not to pay for a seat, it was only an hour flight. So I was given a middle - again only an hour flight. If I was flying to Los Angeles from MPLS, I may have chosen the bigger seats and paid the additional money. Plane was new and very clean. Seats are narrow. If you are a bigger person, pay for the bigger seat. Very small tables. I noticed most did not buy refreshments, they are pricey. My flights were on time and I encountered no issues. I would fly Spirit again. I cannot re-iterate enough make sure you read the whole website, understand the fees and you will be just fine. Great fares!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by A Walker    (USA)

Standard

We are currently onboard Spirit Flight 710 that landed at LaGuardia airport on time on Sunday, October 19. Upon arrival the pilot announced that another aircraft was loading passengers at our gate and we would be at the gate within 15 minutes. It is now over an hour later and we are still not at our gate, no further announcements. The pilot has announced that the FAA is completing the log book and the flight attendants should provide us complimentary snacks and drinks. Only one gate for this flight and no plan B, is on of their continued problem and the lack of customer service is another major issues. Any consideration for sending a bus and have us deplane? The plane is freezing cold! We were doing fine until we finally landed and after not flying Spirit for a while owing to the poor and consistently horrific customer service, my return has been met with another horror ending. Spirit, do us a favour and do not expand until you improve your existing services.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by V Ng    (USA)

Standard

Took a flight from Phoenix to Lima, Peru for $650 (beating the $1300 on United - the next best option). Took every precaution and planned ahead (pre-paid carry on, printed tickets at home, brought my own snacks, etc). Didn't pay extra for assigned seating and still ended up sitting next to my travel partner. Had 2 layovers - one in Dallas and one in Ft. Lauderdale, neither one was delayed nor got cancelled. Maybe I just got beginner's luck and had no issues with my flights and didn't have to deal with their customer service? Seat comfort (or lack of) will be my biggest complaint - domestic flights are extra firm and do not recline, but the international flight to Peru and back was like any other economy seating you'd find on regular planes that have more cushion and do recline. After my flight experience to Peru, I opted to pay for a window seat on the return flight so I can be slightly more "comfy". I do recommend this airline for short trips - I probably won't make another 10+ hour trip because seats are just too uncomfortable. Do your research and read the small print on the Spirit website. The website clearly states exactly what you will need to purchase ahead of time and what you will get charged if you don't. I've flown other budget airlines like, JetStar and Tigerair in Asia and they pretty much operate the same way - they don't charge you what you don't use, that's why tickets are so cheap!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by H Waxweiler    (USA)

Big

May have saved a few dollars in airfare but paid more in the long run. Leaving Chicago, flight delayed 2 hours. When asked why, no response could be given, actually got a shoulder shrug. Arrived in Las Vegas 3 hours late, still do not know why. Leaving Vegas on Monday, check flight status before leaving for hotel, "on time". Flight supposed to leave at 8:29 am, at 7:45 post that the arriving flight just leaving from Dallas. You mean to tell me they did not know our flight was delayed when the arriving flight had not even left the airport? Would it kill to keep flight information updated and accurate? Most airlines send out update texts, which requires only an automated system. Spirit cannot be bothered with little things like Customer Service. I guess our time is worth nothing. When all said and done, baggage fees, seat assignment fees, $2 for water, and five extra hours in the airport means bye-bye.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by J Stevens    (USA)

Standard

Oct 3 2014, flight #189, Houston to Las Vegas. Oct 7 2014, flight #398, Las Vegas to Houston. Bad customer service! Flight delayed 4 hours and notification to passengers was not timely. Nickel and dime is true. My seat ridiculously tight and should come with a warning, seriously. Next time, I will just pay a bit more, fly a real airline and be semi-miserable.  Also, no internet or TV or music, etc.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by M Burdette    (USA)

Standard

I flew from DFW to Tampa Oct 18, 2014, and return flight Oct 22, 2014. First leg of flight was delayed 8 hours. I was scheduled to arrive 6.30 pm, and arrived at 2.30 am. I was not given a voucher for cab, food, or any viable alternative travel options. I was visiting a friend who was recovering from major surgery and could not ask anybody in her family to pick me up at that time of night/morning, so I paid for a $40 cab ride. The flight back to DFW was packed, and I was in a row with a man who had to have been well over 400 pounds, possibly closer to 500 pounds. A girl and I shared one seat, while the large man had two seats. I was terribly disappointed with Spirit Airlines. Although your flight attendants are wonderful, they can't make up for these ridiculous fails on your scheduling and overbooking. I would have paid an extra $500 to get to my destination on time, and to actually get a full seat on my flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by K Stearns    (USA)

Standard

The negative reviews almost prevented me from trying Spirit. I just completed my second round trip. The airline website and follow up email set expectations. If you read everything Spirit provides you will have a better experience because you'll know what to expect and expectations will be in alignment. If you don't like saving money, fly a non low-cost airline. My personal experience was much better than expected in all categories. On one flight the captain actually made the pre-flight announcement outside the cockpit for all to see. This is a great alternative to existing airline experiences.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by C Zegelbone    (USA)

Standard

The prices are tempting. Just keep in mind there is a charge for everything except using the bathroom on the plane, so be sure to add those charges in when figuring the actual price of your ticket. You are allowed one free "carry-on", as long as it will fit under the seat in front of you. For a carry-on-sized bag that is free on other airlines, you pay an additional $45.00 each way, so for a round-trip ticket, if you fly with a carry-on, add $90.00 to the fare. This is only if you pay at the ticket counter or on-line. If you wait until you get to the gate, it will cost you $100.00 one way for your carry-on. You are able to check-in online 24 hours before the flight. Do it, because they overbook. If you want to select a particular seat, the charge is $15.00 one way. There is a charge for all refreshments, including bottled water. On many planes the seats don't move. All of this I knew about before-hand. What I didn't know about was how poorly the airline treats their customers once they have the booking. The representatives of the airline either lie or intentionally ill informed. Either way it works against the customer. I was delayed from 8.30pm until midnight on my return flight. Always check on your flight before you leave for the airport. Sadly I didn't. No one was at the gate to inform people, and there were no announcements. The only way we found out anything was with our smartphones. No texts from the airline either. At 10:30 PM, finally there came an announcement: we were told that the flight was cancelled because of bad weather. We could either take a refund for one way or wait until the next night at 8.30pm and try again. No help looking for other flights on other airlines either. Where was the bad weather? Skies were clear. The flight originated in Houston, took off and went directly to Ft. Lauderdale, and by-passed my stop in New Orleans. Spirit reps didn't tell anyone about that either - found out about that piece of info through a friend who called the airline. I went to the ticket counter and was told Spirit had no other flights available until the next night. I found out about another flight on Spirit that left the next afternoon when I called the airline after I got back to my daughters house. Others were not so lucky. No hotel vouchers for that night because the airline doesn't issue vouchers for flights cancelled due to bad weather. Spirit is notorious for claiming bad weather as the excuse for flight cancellations. That night, the agent on the phone did book me on the afternoon flight the next day, no extra charge. But be warned - don't fly in the evening if you can help t or you can get stranded, make your own phone calls, and don't trust Spirit reps at the airport to help you or give you accurate information. I'm going to have to save a lot of money to ever fly this airline again. Not worth the aggravation!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by F Reitzel    (USA)

Standard

Oct 2nd from Oakland, CA to Dallas Fort-Worth TX. Flight 408, return October 5th. I read all the reviews after purchasing our tickets. However, our experience with Spirit Airlines was better than I expected. Our flight was delayed but that was due to weather. There were no other problems, we got what we paid for, a simple airline with no extras. We were satisfied and would fly with Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Jake Shearier    (USA)

Standard

First and last Spirit flight. Was warned by friends that the extra fees and consistently late or canceled flights wouldn't be worth the $20 savings. They were right. Delayed from MSP to LAS - 1 hr. Delayed 2.5 hours from LAS to MSP.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Robbie Smith    (USA)

Standard

Awful service, delayed flights, poor communication (attendant with poor mannerisms, made few announcements, did not know correct gate until last minute). On the first flight, the attendants did not know which gate the 2nd flight would be until they landed and opened the plane door (what is this, no abilities to call the airport ahead of time?). During layover, I had to deplane knowing I had to board the same plane again. I misplaced my ticket during the layover and hence had to wait until the very end to reprint my ticket and board again. This entire process could have been avoided if I stayed on the same plane to begin with.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Henry Hernandez    (USA)

Standard

Miami was my original place of departure we were run from gate 2,4,6,8 about ten times until finally we left on gate 10 after 45 minutes of the playing magical gate game. The price for the baggage was excessive and overcame the rest of the pleasant flight. Don't worry there are other airline with lower service rating like American Airline and lower of poll US Airways.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Karen Sawyer    (USA)

Big

We could not have been more satisfied with our trip. We left San Diego exactly on time and arrived at Dallas a bit early. The flight was smooth and service was satisfactory. People at the ticket counter were courteous and helpful. I see the other reviews and think some people need to think in advance. If a drink is important bring your own. If you want food, bring your own. Learn to pack light. Bring a book to read. You can avoid the extra charges if you are smart. You can't beat the prices for Spirit tickets. Our tickets were half from the other airlines. I will definitely fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Jenkinson Aaron    (USA)

Standard

Purchased airfare from Denver to Ft. Lauderdale with a connection in Chicago. After arriving at Denver airport and waiting at the gate for boarding I received an email saying the flight to Chicago was delayed an hour. No less than 15-20 minutes later I received a second email saying that the flight was actually on time and the customer service rep announced we would be boarding at 2pm. Wrong! Sat there at the gate another 20-30 minutes after 2pm and just as the plane is boarding, they call the names of all the Ft Lauderdale bound passengers and tell us that we aren't going to make our connection and the next available flight is on Sunday. This was a Tuesday! As if that wasn't bad enough, the service reps responses were extremely rude and amounted to "gee sorry, who cares". Already had paid their $50 bag fee, which they had originally charged me $80 for. Their employees kept telling us the issue was air traffic control in Chicago but coincidentally nearly every one of their flights from anywhere to Denver that day were late or delayed, not at all just Chicago. It was blatantly obvious that they were straight up lying and that the real issue was likely a mechanical problem. Eventually got sick of arguing and had them refund everything and re-booked the next day on a real airline which cost me an extra $300.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by R Caswell    (USA)

I will never fly this airline again. The tickets are cheap, but any savings are more than made up for as they proceed to nickel and dime you every chance they get. The checked bag fee is almost double what other airlines charge, but it's outrageous that they charge even more for carry on bags. They also charge to print your boarding pass, which I was asked to rip in half myself before boarding the plane. The seats don't recline so that they can pack more passengers on the plane - very uncomfortable. I expected to pay for food, but not for drinks - including water. The plane was filthy - as I boarded I noticed crumbs all over the seats and large pieces of food all over the floor. I will never fly with this airline again. I wont go business with a company that charges me hidden fees at every opportunity.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Joe Thielen    (USA)

Standard

Do not believe their hype that they are cheap. Spirit charges for everything. You pay for your flight and find out there is an additional fee when assigning your regular seats, water on the flight, and expensive luggage prices which includes carry on. Once you total all the added fees, you are paying more. They added more rows of seats, which means you have less room than normal. First time I used them and feel "hosed".

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Diana Byrne    (USA)

Standard

I traveled to Chicago O'Hare from Orlando on Sept 24th - all went well, left on time and arrived on time. A smooth flight and everyone was very courteous.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by J Moy    (USA)

Standard

This airline gave me what I was looking for - an inexpensive way to get me from point A to point B. Due to maintenance problems, we were held up for 4 hrs, but that tells me they're more concerned with their safety record than their on-time record. They gave a voucher for a meal at the terminal. The seats were fairly close together, but not horribly so. The desk staff and flight attendants were friendly and efficient. Good solid flight with a worthy aircraft. I'll fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by L Chiappetta    (USA)

Standard

Orlando (MCO), 9/29/14 to Latrobe (LBE), flight 878. LBE to MCO, flight 863, 10/4/14. I guess I was one of the lucky ones because both my flights were on time. As far as bare fare, if you can read, you know the rules. Why complain? Go somewhere else. The seats are not too roomy, true, but they are not so uncomfortable either. They are leather. The staff were friendly and I would fly with Spirit again. As far as food, there are basically only snacks you can purchase. You can get two drinks for a dollar each. So people again who complain must be really cheap.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by P Schweizer    (Australia)

Big

LAX-IAH return. Both flights on time, friendly crew, read the small print and printed boarding passes at home. Friendly check-in staff both in LAX and IAH. Both flights including big seats, checked-in luggage were about half the price as I would have paid on UA in first. Only downside, credit card machines did not work on both flights so could not purchase any drink/food on the plane. Would not hesitate to fly them again in the future.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by C Maitlin    (USA)

Standard

Worst trip ever. Flight was cancelled due to fire in air traffic control in Chicago (not the fault of Spirit). However, the customer service was horrendous. The next day, I checked in and the manager was training 5 new employees. The manager was taking her time to show them the process step by step and made me jump through hoops to show them how a customer checks luggage to make sure it's the right size. I asked if, considering the last 24 hours, she could skip the training and check me in faster. She was rude, inconsiderate, and showed 5 new employees that terrible customer service is OK with Spirit. I'll never fly them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Jack Marshfield    (USA)

Standard

I traveled on a flight from Myrtle Beach to St. John, Virgin Islands. My family had not read the rules and requirements for the airline, so we were surprised by the added fees of baggage, and had to work to try and get things straightened out. The desk clerk tried her best to be as helpful as possible to minimize any fees that needed to be paid. Once on the flight, the seats were a squeeze, but no more uncomfortable that most airline seats, with the exception that they do not recline in any way. No big loss, there. Any snacks or drinks on the flight have to be paid for, at airline inflated prices, and there was no in-flight video, no wi-fi, no entertainment of any sort. Those can be dealt with by bringing your own drink and snacks in your personal bag, piece of cake. It's not comfortable by any measure, but it's not bad considering the price was about a third of the price on any other airline I looked up.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Antoine Mose    (USA)

Standard

Flight from Chicago to Boston got cancelled due to bad weather. The customer service was very limited (extremely long wait time, it felt like speaking to a robot who kept repeating itself). The company only provided the option of booking the next available Spirit flight which was more than 24hours later or get a refund of the cancelled flight (so only 50% of total flight price). The company didn't provide the opportunity of booking a flight with another airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Vince Powling    (USA)

Standard

Horrible customer service, unprofessional staff, bad information. Flight out to Chicago was late 90 minutes. Was misinformed that my flight was canceled on the return and ended up having to pay for a hotel and dinner and catching a red-eye flight on my dime on the return. Worst ever experience flying and with customer service in general. These folks hire people that are unprofessional and have zero training in service. They also nickle and dime you for everything. I wouldn't fly them again, also they have the worst seats in the airline industry.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by M Harris    (USA)

Standard

The worst of the worst (and then it goes downhill from there). First time I flew them the flight took off 2 hours late. The second time (shame on me given their reputation) the flight was announced as late and then took off on time without announcement causing me to miss the flight. Even though several others missed the flight as well and after 1.5 hours in customer (non) service lines there was no refund or credit offered. When an interviewer suggested Spirit was the Walmart of airlines, he proudly stated that was not true, Spirit was the Dollar Store of Airlines. Odd thing to be proud about. Never on time, surly employees, no consideration or accommodation for anything. All of the employees I've spoken to hate them (which is probably why they're so surly). It is the airline equivalent of riding on top of a train in India. If you must patronize them, make very sure you are aware of their draconian policies or you will receive surprises that will not be enjoyable!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Edward Crouch    (USA)

Flight 660, Sept 6th, Kansas City to Chicago. Fight 659, Sept 10th, Chicago to Kansas City. I just completed my first round trip on Spirit Airlines and after reading the bad reviews, I have to write about what a good experience I had. The counter staff were extremely helpful and courteous to help me understand the nuances that Spirit clearly states on their website. The pilots were professional, the two A320's I flew on appeared to be in good condition and from my perspective were comfortable. The cabin crews were welcoming and attentive to safety issues  I felt Spirit is really good value.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by S Horton    (USA)

Standard

From Houston to Atlanta - Ticket Cost $353, to check in at the counter $10, Kiosk- free, Carry on Bag $50 at the Kiosk, $100, at the gate. For a reserve seat $5 to $25, a random Seat - free. Sodas and water $3 each, 2 sodas and bag of chips $7. All drinks and food were for purchase. They did not have a card reader so it was cash only. Flight attendants were not needed, because they didn't provide a service.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards