Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

Spirit Airlines
1.5 Star Rating: Very Poor
2087 reviews

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by D Doran    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit on my return flight this past weekend and to say the return trip was a disaster is an understatement. Naturally, most customers choose Spirit because it "appears" to be more economical. However, if you do a true cost comparison with other airlines, there is no real savings. They took me out of line and took my ticket and then proceeded to tell me it would be extra $$ for my carry on with wheels, it was a standard small size . I paid $100 at the gate, like the small wheels makes a big difference, less than 30 lbs, most airlines it is 50 lbs. I was shocked when I noticed the signs at the gate which charged $100 for a standard carry-on, this was simply incredulous! Like thieves, the only thing missing was the gate person using a gun to rob you! Once on board, I did not realize the seats did not recline, very uncomfortable for a flight. You have to purchase standard items, water and soda? Next thing for Spirit will probably charge you to go to the bathroom and only if the army sergeant stewardess would allow it? You have to pay extra for any common courtesies. The stewardess announced over the speaker that only 9 people had to pay extra $$, she made it sound like Spirit was doing us a favor by charging us extra $$$ and allowing us to fly with them. Do not fly Spirit. You do not save any money when you add in the normal courtesies.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by R Smith    (USA)

Did a round trip from Dallas to Portland, Oregon, the weekend of August 9. Decided to upgrade to the front seats, which for my brother and I, it was worth the extra cost of $50 per seat. The front seats do recline. The only hitch on this trip is that upon returning to DFW we could not get our checked luggage for over 1.5 hrs. It was very frustrating. But, if you need a cheap seat and you can pack light and either pay the carry on charge for you luggage or just put everything in a small backpack then Spirit may work for you. We also had to wait once we landed for a gate to open up so we sat on the ground an extra 15 minutes before our plane could get into a gate. I also brought my own snacks, so make sure you do that. I chose to purchase water after passing through security and getting inside the terminal. I took my bottled water in my small backpack along with my snacks onto the airplane and this was not a problem. Other than these problems, it went relatively well. I checked in online and printed my boarding passes online from my home. The Spirit staff and the airport and on both flights were acceptable. Also, Spirit was one of few airlines that offered DFW to PDX non-stop, which for me is important because I don't like multiple flights. Bottom Line. Spirit Airlines is a inexpensive airline with no frills. I really don't think I would book Spirit for a long flight, or for anything out of the USA.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by P Obriot    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines was horrible in the following ways: extremely poor flight trip, extremely poor timing (I waited 6 hours for my flight), staff were very unpleasant with their services and most of all very poor planning.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Del Rosario    (USA)

Standard

Flight 142 on 2 Aug and Flight 145, 9 Aug. All the years that I traveled with so many different airlines I have never had this type of service and other added costs. You want water, a soft drink or anything you have to pay. I made a reservation for a low cost trip from Dominican Republic to Fort Lauderdale, assumed cost of the plane travel was low. Now comes the additional cost of luggage, for any bag under 40 lb you pay $50, anything over that $100, carry-on $50, computer bags and other handbags $50, if its more than 18 inches high. Here is the catch, I was traveling with another person that had a computer bag the same as mine, he was able to go through at no cost.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by Wendell Gray    (USA)

Standard

I've flown Spirit a few times and although it is not my favorite, it has sufficed because the flights are not that expensive. Today however was a completely different story. As we are pulling out of the gate, (20 minutes late) the flight attendant tells us that the belt that carries the bags to the plane has broken so all of our bags couldn't get on the plane, but reassures us they will be flown on another aircraft. Once I arrive at my destination, I see that I and 85% of the people on my flight had no luggage. Once confronting Spirit about the problem, the workers moved very slow and showed no sympathy or care for the problem. They could care less whether I got my bags or not. Most people on my flight had a connecting flight some where else, but had no bags to make that happen. I got no guarantee about when I would receive my luggage so now I sit here with hardly any clothes or a toothbrush and do not know when I will have them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by B Lynch    (USA)

Standard

Absolutely the worst run airline in the world. Cheap fares are good only as far as the airline can deliver good service. This airline has failed on every front. The fare structure is just slightly cheaper than Southwest and much less flexible. In my case to save a few dollars I booked on Spirit to Detroit from Houston. The aircraft was dirty, the employees were unhelpful and the landings weren't that good. Low fare = low service and low quality at Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by J Saul    (USA)

Standard

I made reservations from Detroit to Oakland with a stop-off in Las Vegas without checking online reviews because I had no suspicions and had never been particularly finicky about airlines, as long as the flight got me to my destination. I read the reviews and like many people I came to the airport full of trepidation because of all these negative comments. I printed out my boarding pass and purchased optional seats (the cheapest that I could see online, but maybe next time I'll just waive that and try getting free seat assignments), and arranged my one check-in bag online in advance. Still, I was worried that the flight would be delayed or, worse yet, somehow cancelled for days. Well, the upshot is that everything worked out just fine, and I actually enjoyed it. The check-in was simple, it turned out that my bag weighed 39.9 pounds, just barely saving me from paying an extra $25. I also had a medium-size "personal item" bag, which was free. The seats on my two Spirit flights that day were large enough for me, a 6-foot tall male. The number of seats per row was no more than I've seen on any other airlines going that distance, so I can't understand where all the complaining about cramped seats comes from. The seats on the first flight looked a bit worn, but nonetheless clean and comfortable, so no big deal to me. Both Spirit flights left on time, and arrived even a bit early compared to the reservation times, which was great. There was no food or drinks served, which was just fine with me because I never order anything anyhow, and didn't especially need the generic small cup of coke and bag of peanuts on such journeys. The whole time, the staff were friendly and spoke clearly. I admittedly didn't have any special needs, but to the extent that they were performing their expected duties, I saw nothing amiss. I was also on the lookout for other passengers having problems, and yet saw nothing come up from start to end. The steward on the Vegas-Oakland stretch was like a stand-up comic in his announcements to the audience, which was actually quite amusing. Very memorable. Seriously, I had a perfectly good time, and everything went smoothly. I kept wanting to pinch myself to see if I was dreaming, because I was so impressed at my positive experience compared to the online reviews.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by John Gasper    (USA)

Standard

Spirit is the biggest rip off. They sell you a cheap ticket and then you have to pay for everything else. $50 for the first bag and also for the bag that goes in the overhead compartment too. They charge for your seat. The website is terrible and you cannot find a phone number to call and speak to someone to get help. I just cancelled my $9 club fee and my Spirit Airline card. I recommend everyone to use Southwest Airlines. They allow you 2 free check bags and one carry on. And you don't have to pay for the seat you sit in. I just saved $360 in baggage fees and seat fees compared to Spirit. They also give you snacks and a free non-alcoholic beverage.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by Denise Barbadoro    (USA)

Standard

I am done with this airline. My last few flights with them were delayed hours on end (1 hour and 8 hour delay due to mechanical failure, one 6 hour delay supposedly due to weather though all other flights coming from the area my flight was on time, another 2.5 hour delay for mechanical issues). The managers are rude and the customer service is non-existent. I would not fly with Spirit again if they gave me a ticket. I told them they need to change the name of their airline to Misery because that is what you have to go through time and again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  12 August 2014 by S Tarvis    (USA)

Standard

Worst airline! 2 hour delay leaving Houston, arrived in Vegas at almost 2 am and still had to wait almost 30 minutes before bags were available. Horrible, very inconsiderate of customers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by R Palmer    (USA)

Standard

This airline offers a low teaser rate and then overcharges the naive 1st time flyer by various deceptive means. They are trying to stick me with a charge of $295 for a trip I could have made on any reputable airline for $180. I was socked $50 for carry on at airport but told by agent If I had prepaid it would have been less. The night before my return, I tried to register on their site and had to pay $36 for baggage, +fee for boarding pass, $9.00 membership fee. Flight was hr late coming and 30 mins late on return. I would never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by K Strouthopoulos    (USA)

Standard

We booked a flight from Ft. Lauderdale to La Guardia and arrived an hour early. We tried to check in using the self serve kiosk which malfunctioned 3 times. When it finally took our information, it printed a time stamped slip that said we needed to see an agent. Our slip was time stamped at 6.20 am and our flight departed at 7.04 am. When we finally found an attendant she was not helpful, rude and directed us to a long line of angry customers. After waiting in line, the agent informed us that Spirit "closes" flights 45 minutes prior to departure and that our time stamped slip was 1 minute past their "cut off". We explained that the kiosks had malfunctioned 3 times, causing our delay and that we had arrived an hour early. She had absolutely no regard for our situation, was extremely rude and unwilling to take any responsibility for their equipment causing our delays. We asked for a supervisor which took 40 minutes. The supervisor told us the best she could do was charge us well over $200 more per ticket to book us on the next flight, almost 6 hrs later! We couldn't wait the six hours, and asked for a refund, when told that other airlines had earlier flights. We went to JetBlue, where we had a completely different experience as soon as we walked in. They were extremely friendly, apologized for our experience (which Spirit never did) and booked us on an earlier flight. Due to the situation and having to book new flights at the last minute, prices were much higher than if we would have just booked with them to begin with. If you're considering this airline because of the attractive pricing, believe me it's not worth the hassle!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by J Pluth    (USA)

Standard

Worst experience I've had with an airline. I thought I was getting a good deal for price, but did not expect to be charged for carry-on's, $50 a piece! So in the end flight is not cheaper than other airlines. In addition flight was cancelled in Chicago (flying from Oakland CA to Mlps, MN). I ended up driving with 3 others on the Spirit flight from Chicago to MINN. We were told they would reimburse leg we did not take but have not heard anything from them regarding this and its been a week! Now waiting for my return flight home and both planes have been delayed (out of MN and Chicago) and likely I will be stuck in Chicago again. Would never take this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  12 August 2014 by S Taylor    (USA)

Standard

I have absolutely no intentions of flying with Spirit Airlines in the future. Yes the price was much better than other airlines however, the overall trip was not worth it. I should have changed my mind after I saw their website. It looked like something my 2nd grader did for a class project. The site did not include a phone number either. I had to get the number through CheapoAir which is the site through which I booked the trip. The seats did not recline (not even an inch). Those 'big seats' they mention are only a little larger than the average seat. The food selection was very limited and costly ($3 for water). $50 for checked or carry-on (yes, you have to pay for a carry-on). This is $50 both ways. I will admit the crew were very funny and nice. But not funny enough to get me to fly with them again. By the way, my trip was from Philadelphia to Dallas.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by S Ashary    (USA)

Standard

By far, the worst flight experience I ever had. The service was terrible. The seats are great if you are no bigger than 3 by 2 feet. It was so uncomfortable, I am 5"6 and I barely had any leg room, I could barely fit a purse between my legs. Good airlines at least give complimentary drinks, we had to pay 3 dollars for a mini water bottle! There were no magazines and my row did not get sick bags. The worst however is that Spirit only allows you to bring one carry on, and any extra will be an extra charge of 100 dollars on the spot! The ticket price was only a bit cheaper than others, but the quality was a huge difference, everything looked like it was much cheaper!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by S Bradley    (Canada)

We have flown Spirit out of Detroit to Florida (several cities) in the past and have had good experiences. I totally understand why they charge for carry-ons because too many people bring oversized bags and hog the overhead bins. Spirit doesn't charge for Personal bags (smaller than a carry-on) and you can get more than enough in a personal bag. The night before our flight we picked our seats online and check 1 large bag for 3 of us. The people who show up at the airport unprepared should only be angry at themselves. We have priced other airlines and even with seat selection and luggage fees Spirit still comes out on top. The check-in staff and boarding staff have all been friendly and helpful too.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by R Zeldis    (USA)

Standard

I have flown Spirit for many years, always taking my handbag and a small backpack on board. This was never a problem. On a recent trip I was told that my handbag was a separate item and that there would be a charge of $50 to take my backpack (or handbag!) on the plane. Enough with the nickel and diming! I will never fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by I Greenberg    (USA)

Standard

Like everyone else we read the horrible reviews and were anxious, but money is money and the safety record seemed fine. We also read the small print and did all we could to minimize additional expenses - pre-paid for baggage, printed boarding passes, didn't pay for seat selection. We flew R/T DFW to LAX. Everything about the experience was FAR above our very low expectations. Flight to LAX on-time, with no additional fees. Flight back was 19 minutes delayed, but everything else was spot-on. We also saved hundreds of dollars.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by J Geck    (USA)

Standard

I have flown on Spirit 4 times now. Mostly from San Diego to Portland because that is where my family lives. I am lucky that this route is one of the cheapest routes Spirit has. I have had no complaints or issues with Spirit. Excellent Customer service and friendly staff. On 1 trip I took my step mom and we required a wheelchair. The gate person gave us a free upgrade to a bigger seat for my mom. I think the biggest complaint is listening to complaining customers who did not read the website details. I guess that is why they build a new website in simple cartoon looking format.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Kelly Vandenbroek    (Canada)

Standard

We have travelled on Spirit over 3 dozen times, Myrtle Beach, California, NYC, Florida, and have had no issues, service was great, flight on time and flights were smooth, no issues so easy for us. We live in Ontario and the DTW is 2 hours away, much easier and cheaper than flying from Toronto.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by F Fan    (USA)

Standard

Flight #310 - LAX to Ft. Lauderdale, 8/2/14. If I could give them 0/10 I would. Simply awful airline. There is a reason they are this cheap. Terrible, incompetent personnel. They don't care about their customers. Made is sit in the airport for over 10 hours, then cancelled the follow on flight. Refused to pay for our accommodation, then nickel and dimed us for even the cab to a hotel.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by V Deveny    (USA)

Standard

I booked a trip with Spirit because of the price and then read the reviews and was very scared. I couldn't have been more happily surprised! Our trip was completely excellent. The stewardesses were very professional. There was an inflight medical issue and they were fantastic. We were on time both ways, in fact, slightly early. No glitches anywhere. The seats were not small - we had better seats than previously on American, they did recline, and the headrests folded to where you could nap. We flew for less than half of other airlines, including the cost for our bags. If you know going in that it's going to cost $25 for a carry on at the time of booking, do it then! If you wait until check-in, it's $35 and if you wait until you get to the airport, surprise! - it's now $100. Pack light, and you will know ahead of time that there are no complimentary snacks or drinks. We will fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Forrest Tym    (USA)

Preium Economy

Spirit Airlines is of course the budget carrier in the US, however I was slightly unaware when I booked through cheaptickets just how budget it was. The plane tickets were a few hundred dollars less for our international trip, however we were charged to check our bags. We had to pay forty dollars per bag to get them to our destination, and then on the way home we had to pay forty dollars a bag twice because Spirit decided the last flight of our trip home (same city we departed from) was a separate trip and we would have to pay a second time to get our bags all the way home. Couple this with the fact that they did not allow any online check in so we had to be at the airport two hours early, as well as the fact that you do not even receive a seat assignment when purchasing a ticket, you are basically a standby passenger. You have to buy seats just to sit with the person you are travelling with, then if you don't want your knees jammed into the person in front of you, you have to pay for a larger seat as well. Coming back from Peru, we were not allowed to bring our own water on the plane and Spirit is the only carrier that charges for water, so on a 6 hour flight, we were only allowed to drink water if we purchased it from Spirit. After all was said and done, the additional costs more than balanced out any savings we received at the beginning, and we had a fair longer flight time and itinerary do to it originally "saving us money". No TVs or entertainment, so you better have something on your laptop or phone, although there will be nowhere to fit it on the plane and carry on baggage costs more than checked.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Monica Ajlouny    (USA)

Standard

BWI to Cancun with a stop in Ft. Lauderdale return. They nickel and dime customers, even checking in at the airport cost money. They charge for everything, except a purse size personal item. Not even a cup of water. Seats don't recline and they say so they can add more seats to keep fares low, but they are not low even higher than others after you pay all the fees. Flights were delayed, attendants were ok but some were very rude. The checked bag can't be over 40lbs which is 10 less than other airlines. I will never travel this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by J Richey    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit for the first time this past weekend and to say the trip was a disaster is an understatement. Naturally, most customers choose Spirit because it "appears" to be more economical. However, if you do a true cost comparison with other airlines, there is no real savings. I paid $47 to check a bag, was told that it just barely made the weight allowance - 40lbs, most airlines it is 50 lbs. I was shocked when I noticed the signs at the gate which charged $100 for a carry-on, this was simply incredulous! Once on board, did not realize the seats do not recline, very uncomfortable for a flight across the country. You have to purchase standard items, water and soda? You have to pay to select your seat and pay to have your boarding pass printed. My luggage was lost and at this current time they still don't know where it is located - 24 hours later. I checked it at the ticket counter, after paying $42, please note that it was 5 bucks less because I added the bag online for my return. The representative that filed the loss luggage claim even commented that Spirit always has problems. Do not fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Michael Donohue    (USA)

Standard

Absolutely terrible airline, like riding a ragged city bus in the sky. Uncomfortable seats, no leg room, and rattled more than any other plane I've experienced. Extra fees everywhere. We booked a month in advance and were told they could not check us in because cut off had passed by 2 minutes after they had us standing in line for over 20 minutes. We had to wait 6 six hours for another flight. Ft. Lauderdale Airport is some what responsible as well their facility is a disaster. Spend a little extra and go with an airline that doesn't have hidden fees and pathetic customer service at every turn. They will never get another penny from our family.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by A Bate    (USA)

Standard

Unless the traveler is truly desperate for the very lowest fare and can fit into a very small seat and carry only one "personal item", the bag and seat fees add up so fast that we ended up paying about the same as for larger and more efficiently run airlines. The airline staff on the ground and in the air appeared overburdened and exhausted. I will say the flight crew did seem alert and chipper. Even if I could have avoided the additional fees, it would not have been worth the poor service, cumbersome website, awkward information interface and ineffective communications. The final indignation was that several hours after having moved our departure to a different gate on the concourse, someone had neglected to notify the push-away cart of the change. This dropped ball resulted in a completely avoidable further twenty minute delay while we sat on the aircraft waiting for it to get to the new gate to push our aircraft away from the gate. We had already determined that we would not fly this airline again, but this experience really was the last straw. It's too bad - Southwest has figured out how to keep fares a little more reasonable and they do it with flair.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by M Keithley    (USA)

Standard

We were delayed 2 hours because of "mandatory crew rest" from Portland to Las Vegas. Endless amounts of hidden fees, around $200 just on luggage. Delayed on our way back from Las Vegas to Portland. We sat on the plane for a good 45 minutes before it actually took off. Awful customer service. No complimentary drinks, not even water. Would not recommend Spirit to anyone.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Janet Geier    (USA)

Big

We booked a trip to Chicago for June 23rd. When it was time to check in and print the boarding pass, that's when we found out about all the extra charges. They not only charge you for a checked bag, $40 per bag but charged $45 for our checked bag. We paid $25 to pick out each seat. If we hadn't done this online, our boarding pass, baggage check would've cost $100 each. On the return trip, they tried to charge me $25 extra because they said my checked bag was overweight. Funny because there was nothing more in it that when I started the trip. The flight ended up costing $270 more than the cost of tickets. I had an unstable person behind me that dug his knees into my back for the entire trip. My flight cost $1065. with all the extra charges when initially I paid $796. for 2 round trip tickets. Never fly Spirit! You can't even get a glass of water without paying for it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by L Kinkade    (USA)

Standard

We booked a four-day trip to NYC. Got to the counter 45 minutes before flight. We couldn't print tickets at home and had trouble at the kiosk so our first surprise was $10 print fee per boarding pass. Second surprise was $47.50 for my husband's checked bag. Even though I had a carry-on the agent didn't mention there was a charge for this. We got a new employee who was training and it took her forever to process the boarding pass printing and checked bag. As we were walking away she said she forgot to charge us for the bag. She asked a co-worker how to call the gate because she didn't know how. I went ahead to the gate while my husband stayed to pay. About 15 minutes later I was called back to the counter. She had taken so long that the system released our tickets and they were given to standby customers. Even though it was 15 minutes before the flight we were told there was nothing they could do. There were already people in our seats. To make a long story short, we spent over an hour trying to figure out all our options including buying new tickets on other airlines. The tickets on other airlines were too costly on short notice, so we ended flying to Philadelphia on Spirit 7 hours later. Her error cost us an extra $115 for the train from Philly to NY. On our flight to Philly we learnt that I would also have to pay $50 for my carry-on. As we were boarding, we were stopped because my boarding pass didn't show we paid for my carry-on. Even after we handed the gate agent our receipt for $97.50 for two bags, she was still telling us the system didn't show we paid. Then she said I owed an additional $16. When we asked to speak to a supervisor, he let us through. The additional baggage fees are ridiculous. These prices are so far off the industry standard that they should post the prices as part of the check out so the customer knows all fees up front.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by D Rivera    (USA)

Standard

Flight out of Las Vegas was supposed to leave at 9pm Sunday night to arrive in Oakland (1 hour flight) at 11.05pm. With flight delays, false starting down the runway, and delay in being able to open the door, final landing time is still to be determined considering we are still on the plane in Oakland at 4.06 am. The attendants are completely unapologetic, and seem frustrated. What they don't realize is that we have been at the airport since 8pm and it is now 4am.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by D Henning    (USA)

Standard

Just flew from Portland to Chicago with my husband and the kids. We read all the bag pricing and ticket printing before hand. Those that complain about the counter fees and bag fees have no one to blame but themselves. We checked in online and printed our own tickets. We pre-paid $20 each for two checked bags, that was it! Not $20 there and than $20 on the return flight. Delta was was $25 each way! The counter clerk was super helpful and polite doing the fast bag drop off. The biggest problem were the other passengers feeling they were entitled and crying babies on the red eye. My kids are 9+ so I'm not used to it and I never traveled with them on a plane as babies. Overall my experience was excellent. Oh if you're a family don't pick your seats if your staying in coach, the counter lady told me they will keep you all together no matter what if there is children. I could keep going on about how easy this airline was to deal with but most people listen to those that complain and want to spend less and expect more.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by D Sheinman    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines is nothing but a rip off organization with excessive carry-on baggage fees of $45 per flight and arbitrary changes to the schedule which include 12 hours of flight time and three or more stops. I'll never use this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by James M Glowenke    (USA)

Standard

Flight 903, July 29 2014, 8.10 departure, ORD to DFW. Not to mention the flight was an hour and a half late. The check-in procedure was no procedure at all. One entire section of kiosks were out of order. When you finally found one that worked, upon checking in, paying for your bag, securing a seat for more money, a line of 150 people were waiting for a bag tag. Now the instructions at the kiosk were to go to the express bag check, which was left vacant with no attendant. There were three gate agents doing nothing but putting tags on bags which took one hour. Thank goodness the flight was late. Oh, the instructions for this procedure were hand written and taped to the back of another sign which were holding the aisle separation bands. How long should it take to put on a tag? All passengers had already secured the boarding pass, paid for the bags, and hopefully pre-weighed them at home to make sure they did not exceed 40 lbs.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by J White    (USA)

Standard

Though the base fare was the lowest and the flight time/schedule good, the "nickle and dime" approach to basics (carry on, snack, water/beverage, seat selection - for seats that don't recline at all, too) along with the impatient attitude of the gate staff and flight attendants made for an unpleasant and actually more expensive experience. In addition, the plane was not cleaned between flights (wrappers, etc. in the seat back and crumbs all over the floor and seats). I was also disappointed in the website having to login or sign up just to get the flight status, for example, and that it doesn't offer any option to "contact us."

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Jeremy Bates    (USA)

I had read the airline policies on baggage fees, etc., and paid those while booking my ticket, so no surprises there. I also upgraded to a larger front seat which was very roomy and reclined. The only surprise was how great the ticket agent was. I had booked a one way ticket to Peru, I'm visiting friends and wasn't sure when I was coming home. When I checked in, the agent informed me that Peru didn't allow one way tickets for foreign passport holders. After getting out of line, I checked this information online, and found out she was correct. I got back in line and the agent booked me a return flight without charging me the extra fee, saying she understood the mix up. She also got me travel insurance in case I want to change the date for my return flight. My flight was delayed by one hour, as where flights with several other airlines. Even with the extra fees and upgraded seat, I still saved over the next cheapest airline, so needless to say, I am a very happy customer and will be using Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by K Stenzel    (USA)

Standard

If I could give this airline zero stars I would. When initially booking our trip Spirit beat the competitor by only a few dollars, but what I didn't know was that when you arrived at the airport with a very tiny carry on bag they would charge you 50 dollars! It doesn't stop there, when I received my itinerary on my phone and tried to check in online, the website recommended early check in because in some cases having to talk with an attendant would cost 10 more dollars! Once we finally got on the plane, the cheapest thing on the drink and food menu was coffee at the outrageous price of 2 dollars. Mixed nuts and a soft drink (free on every flight I have ever taken) were 5 dollars. The seats on the plane were the smallest I have seen. Stay far away from Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by R Toy    (USA)

Standard

We probably will never fly this airline again. We were delayed due to weather. We would miss our connection and the airline could not do anything about that. They cannot book you on another airline (they just don't do that and other airlines do though). Because we opted not to fly out because we were going to our connection, they could not get us anywhere else. The plane only flew out of PHL 3 times a day, there are no other alternatives if you miss your flight or if your flight is delayed. They finally found us a plane out but it was 5 days later (what did they expect us to do? Camp out at the airport until then?). They told us our only alternative was to take that ticket or get a refund. Needless to say, we took the refund and flew out on another airline. Also, their luggage check fee is $40 each way - a lot more than any other airline. So where are the savings? Speaking in favor of the airline: their seats are comfy and you have leg room, not cramped and it is sort of nice not having the attendants run up and down the aisle announcing drinks, etc. They simply don't serve at all! They were very cordial at PHL even though they could not help us - it wasn't their fault the planes were delayed.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by T Stroup    (USA)

Standard

You think you're getting a great deal on flights, until the night before when you go to check in. There you find that you have to pay $45 to carry on a bag both to and from, per person. Not only that, but hopefully you have a printer on hand because if you have to print at the airport it's an additional $10 per ticket. That doesn't seem like much of a deal to me. In the end, we could have traveled with a more spacious airline without all the hassle and without an unexpected $180 charge.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by J Chen    (USA)

Standard

7/17, Cancun to Fort Lauderdale supposed to depart around 4pm. Delayed to 7, then delayed to 8, then 9, then around 8pm, they just canceled it. They then proceeded to put us on a flight 22 hours later, and refused to pay for our hotels. My friends and I ended up staying the night at the airport which was terrible. The next day when we went to check in the staff simply refused to serve us. When finally they decided to serve us, we were told that our connecting flight would be 10 hours after we landed in Fort Lauderdale, which was a complete surprise to us. We tried to ask if they can put us on the regular flight that day which would go to our destination after Fort Lauderdale but they said it was overbooked. Do not be fooled by their cheaper ticket price. In the end it will not actually be cheaper. Avoid them at all cost.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by B Wikoff    (USA)

Had a round-trip flight for my minor son (16) booked to Atlantic City, went to get a guest pass to take to gate, woman at ticket counter was rude but gave me the pass. Went out to gate and was told by rude agent at gate that plane would be 2hrs late because of weather even though weather map showed no storms. On return flight went to pick my son up and went to ticket counter and was told they do not issue guest passes to pick up minors, had to argue with sales agent and finally told her my son was handicapped and she gave me a pass. Went to TSA supervisor and told him, he said there is no reason for them not to issue gate pass to pick up minors and to let the Spirit agent call him to verify. Went back to spirit airline agent and she would not call and just kept arguing with me that TSA would not let them issue passes.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by M Sullivan    (USA)

Big

We have not been on vacation for 3 years and desperately needed to get away and I was a nervous wreck that our flight would be delayed or cancelled. I went on Spirit's website and read about the baggage policy, etc. Thank goodness I did because I had booked it through Priceline or else I would not have had any idea. I also picked seats for all 4 flights for myself, husband and child. I ended up paying what I would have to fly another airline so not a big deal. All of my flights were on time. No issues at all. I have recently flown Delta and United and had issues with both of them. Bottom line I was pleasantly surprised with my experience and would fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Joel Wixson    (USA)

Standard

We booked a one way flight from Lima, Peru to Denver, Colorado. The price was okay, and I do like the idea of paying for only what you use, i.e. checked bags or carry on bags. However in our situation we have two stops in the US, one in Fort Lauderdale and the other in Chicago, since we will be changing planes in Chicago Spirit is charging us again for our extra bags. So now we have to pay for our checked bags twice even though we are on the same airlines and our flight to Chicago is a connecting flight to Denver. Also be sure to read all about the bag weights and size restrictions. We just had a wonderful surprise that we are only allowed one bag at 40lbs from Peru. The "Customer Service" agent at Spirit told me it's a limitation at the Lima airport. Which is false, other Airlines allow customer two bags each. Imagine moving from Peru with only one checked bag. I really wish I would have read some of these reviews before booking Spirit, never again will I fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Sonia Fiddler-Brown    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines is not the best choice to travel when you are returning or visiting Jamaica or anywhere in particular. The forty pounds restrictions for fifty plus dollars and seating is a crime. The hassle and stress one has to go through, just to be safe with your weights, is not worth your time, neither are you saving one penny. Cheapest airline, should not be associated with Spirit Airlines. Their adds are misleading. Their Customer Service is also sloppy. I corrected my misspelled name before I took my trip only to be told my name was not associated with my account and therefore could not access my account to pay for my baggage before check in time on my return. The fear of having to pay $100.00 per baggage at the counter had me going to the airport hours in advance only to wait until check in time, then to be told, their system was down and could not process my debit card. This process took me over an hour, huffing and puffing to my gate with the extra clothes I had to put on because I was ten pounds overweight. This was my last flight and I will encourage whomever returning to Jamaica to take another airline. I could not take back much because of my experience. Shame on you Spirit Airlines!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by C Woodruff    (USA)

Standard

Let me start by saying that I read at least 25 reviews on this site before we started packing. I read about the extra baggage fees. The surprise baggage fees at the gate. The delays. The date changing unknowingly during the ticket buying process (we had to go back afterwards and fix the changed dates). The rude staff. Not being given free food or beverages on the flight. The small seats. We were traveling (2 adults, 1 child) from Houston to Minnesota for a funeral. We didn't have time to save for this unexpected event, so we flew with a notoriously cheap airline, and didn't pay for checking or carrying on luggage. All bags were well within the size limit stated online for their one personal item. The flights to Minnesota and back both went smooth. We were not hassled about our purses and computer bag. Flights were on time. Arrived home 30 minutes earlier than expected which made the kid happy. We took food and drink onto the plane, so we didn't have to buy anything from the airline. We co- ordinated our seats to make sure that we all had enough leg room. The flight crew were excellent. No inflight entertainment (other than the announcer), but we had plenty of electronics and books to keep us happy. I don't know if it was research or sheer luck, but I was relieved that our experience wasn't one of the awful ones I've read about here.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by G Andresen    (USA)

Standard

We traveled from San Francisco to Las Vegas July 13, coming back July 16. Spirit charged us $50 per carry on baggage each way. The cabin both ways, were not quite clean. I can see almost all others reviews state the same. It's hard to believe they can stay in business. We will never fly with Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Dennis McZeal    (USA)

Standard

This is the worst airline I have flown. My flight was a round trip from LAX to Fort Lauderdale Florida and back. The baggage fee are ridiculous. They are very careful to make sure that your bag is not over sized. I had no problem checking out of LAX, but when I was ready to return home with the same baggage, they said my bag was too big. I spent more than 45 minutes trying to communicate with someone who could barely speak English. I then ask to speak to a supervisor. After waiting another five minutes the supervisor finally came to the phone and would not even offer a discount. Had I known that I was going to be charged for a carry on, I would have rearranged my luggage and put my so called carry-on with my checked in luggage. The employees were great at check in but the customer service department is very poor. I did pay the extra $50 but this airline will never get another penny from this family.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by J Ennis    (USA)

Standard

You get what you pay for. Once all the incidentals are paid for, you'll pay the same as any other airline, but if you don't need all the frills, you don't pay a lot. We saved a few hundred dollars over the other airlines for a direct flight because we carefully planned every detail. The carry-on fee is absurd (we didn't have carry on), but the food/drink extras are in line with other airlines. You can always bring food in, or get drinks from a vendor in the airport for less, but for a flight less than three hours, you don't really need it. The staff were by far the friendliest airline staff I have encountered.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Raquel Garcia    (USA)

Standard

My first time with Spirit. I will start off saying, $50 for a carry on? That's ridiculous. The "free" carry on has to be like a kids size. The normal charge is $47 each if it's under 50lbs. Not sure how other airlines work but that is expensive to me. Anyway, we had been delayed for an hour due to "weather" and while in the sky, we had to take an extra 45min route. That totalled up to 1hr and 45mins extra. Lets talk about the plane now: it was so loud! The seats are uncomfortable. There is no movies or any wifi and you must pay for all snacks. This includes everything (drinks too), they do not take cash, credit/debit only. The staff were nice but the airline is not worth it. You end up spending the same as a "normal" airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by D McZeal    (USA)

This is the worst airline I have flown. My flight was a round trip from LAX to Fort Lauderdale Florida and back. The baggage fees are ridiculous. They are very careful to make sure that your bag is not over sized to the inch degree. I had no problem checking out of LAX, but when I was ready to return home with the same baggage, they said my bag was too big. I spent more than 45 minutes trying to communicate with someone who could barely speak English. I then ask to speak to a supervisor. After waiting another five minutes the supervisor finally came to the phone and would not even offer a discount. Had I known that I was going to be charge for a carry on, I would have rearranged my luggage and put my so called carry-on with my checked-in luggage. The employees were great at check in but the customer service department sucks. I did pay the extra $50.00 but this airline will never get another Penny from this family, along with others who flew with us. The saving is not worth the trouble. Buyer (Flyer) beware!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by G Boisvert    (USA)

Standard

Spirit got me from A to B on time and without incident. In that respect, they did well. I was a little miffed at the carry on policy though, my average sized laptop didn't fit in any bag that met the size for a free personal item, so I ended up borrowing one from a family member to avoid paying the carry on fee. I think the ultimate problem with Spirit is that while they are cheaper than the competition, they still aren't cheap. If everyone got tickets for $10 round-trip, as you sometimes can in Europe, nobody would complain about the fees. But most people are still paying a couple hundred bucks just for the ticket, and it feels like that ought to buy you something besides transportation. Spirit saved me money and ultimately carried out its job, and I can't say I'd never fly them again. But given the hoops you have to jump through, I'd probably want them to save me more money than they did this time before I went back.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Jerry Bru    (USA)

Standard

I knew that this was a no-frills airline, and expected to have a sub-performance level of service, but I bought tickets anyway thinking that saving $50 was worth the try. Like another customer's posting, I thought I could bring at least one bag on board, but in the end I had to pay. So much for saving money on this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Sonia De Leon    (USA)

Standard

This was my first and my last experience with Spirit Airlines. I had scraped and saved for this trip to attend a family wedding a long time and do not have "extra" money to be spending so saving money was a big priority and only reason I flew with Spirit . I was told that Spirit charged extra for everything but that you were allowed to bring 1 carry on for free. When I finally printed my boarding pass after dealing with a very user unfriendly website the was an option for carry on or bag. I wasn't bringing a bag and I thought it referred to an extra carry on, I didn't mark anything and printed the boarding pass. After getting through security and getting to the gate I hear the representative saying several times about only 1 personal item allowed on board so I asked him If I was not allowed to bring my carry on and he said "you have to pay for it", I asked "how much"? I was told $100. They just billed my credit card and gave me another boarding pass. That was not all, not only was that fee outrageous but your beverage fees are excessive as well. Those "deals" don't benefit anyone but the airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by C Houlihan    (USA)

Standard

I had a wonderful experience on Spirit Airlines and have recommended it to several friends. I would much rather pay $3 for an unlimited cup of coffee and an Otis Spunkmeyer Blueberry Muffin handed to me with a smile, than have a bag of peanuts shoved at me as the stewards/stewardesses rush past me in an effort to get them to everyone in the other airlines overcrowded plane.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by G Williams    (USA)

Standard

15 July, flight 457. Waited over 30 min for a gate. Check-in was slow and staff left the counter routinely for other unrelated work activities. Seat broke and headrest would not adjust. Not worth the $50 I saved myself.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Anissa York    (USA)

Standard

Prices matched all other flights after you factor in the price of luggage and choosing your seats, really? I also love how they advertise "big seats for a price", there were 4 "big" seats. Flight delays both ways, with no apparent reason given. One delay was a 4 hour delay! It was already a red eye and a flight going to Ft Lauderdale at 1am was on time, while we had to continue waiting for 1 hour. Departure time is more like boarding time (actually it's earlier). Took almost 1 hour to receive our baggage. Terrible customer service. Leg room was claustrophobic. I do not think the seat space could get any smaller. Seats do not recline. No wifi, no TV's or movies on a 5-6 hour flight. We have to pay for water! Will never be a repeat customer.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Lou Cal    (USA)

Standard

My daughter had to fly back to LaGuardia Airport, she calls me to let me know the flight was delayed 40 minutes, ok delays are to be expected, she finally boards 1 hr later and sits for 2 hrs saying there was a delay by traffic control, 1/2 an hour later they head back to the gate where they have to get off on the runway. When passengers asked when is the next flight they were told to go inside, they don't know. When everyone was back at the gate they were told there will be no flights out, they would have to wait until Wednesday (this was Monday) to fly out again. I had to scrabble at 11.30 pm (flight was to arrive at 9.05 pm) to get her a flight with another airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by R Whitney    (USA)

In my opinion, it is better to fly with an airline that charges you more upfront. At least you know what you are getting up front. The flight was ok but by after paying for luggage I could have flown with another airline. I've never flown with an airline that nickle and dimes you at every turn, charging for non-alcoholic beverages, really? They do not offer any conveniences that one is accustomed to with other airlines. To add insult to injury, when my bags, that I paid $40.00/bag to check, got relocated the agents in the Ft. Lauderdale baggage claim airport office offered little to no help. I'm not suggesting that one forgoes flying with Spirit, but I never will again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Maria Levinson    (USA)

Standard

Book my ticket a month ahead, two hours before departure my flight was canceled due to "weather" in NY. Complete nonsense, other flights flew out just fine and the weather was fine as well. Could not put me on a different flight, I canceled my flight over the phone. The most ridiculous experience ever! P.S. I frequently fly MIA or FLL to LGA or JFK.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by P Buckalow    (USA)

I was on a flight from JFK. The flight at the gate before us was delayed 4 hours because of some mechanical problems with the plane so when our plane arrived that group took our plane which was fine we were assured their plane would be ready for us in no time. The plane wasn't ready for 5 hours and when we finally got on the runway we had to go back because some paperwork was filed incorrectly. That took another 3.5 hours. When we finally made it out again we were told that we had to be in the air in 30 min or the crew would time out and we would have to fly out tomorrow. We didn't make it and the crew was timed out. Spirit didn't even give us a free flight because they then said that the flight was cancelled due to weather and not because the crew timed out.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Pamela Gaylord    (USA)

Big

It is very much a no frills airline but doesn't try to advertise itself as anything different. We paid in advance for our baggage, chose our seats and paid the extra fee for the large seats. The flight was perfect, the seats were comfortable, the staff polite. If I had to come up with any negatives, I would say the fact that there was only one bathroom on the plane so there was a never ending line of people standing in the isle waiting, but that is really a non issue. I definitely would fly spirit again and would recommend it to friends/family. Just make sure you read the instructions about paying in advance and you won't be bogged down with any surprise fees.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by J Bottum    (USA)

Standard

First time flying in 13 years. Flew from ORD to LAS, and then from LAS to SAN. I was randomly assigned a seat in the aisle which worked out great for me being over 6 feet tall, as the legroom was kind of small. Shifting my position helped alleviate any weariness. For as cheap of a price as I got, I kind of figured there would be some things cut to help cost-efficiency. My departing flights left on time, and my returning flight was actually early by about 15-20 minutes. Did not purchase food or drink on board as I brought my own. No issues with boarding or luggage, as I was staying for a week in California, and was able to fit everything into my carry-on. Staff were very friendly. I can appreciate the no-frills type of service offered, since my main concern with going on vacation is the destination, not the extra stuff I don't need on the journey.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by H Valencia    (USA)

Big

Zero customer service. Plane delayed due to weather (DFW to Cancun). Weather got better-all other airlines were taking off and landing. Plane was then canceled, after we boarded, because the plane would not be able to make their flight back to Florida if they took us to Cancun. We were given a standard letter apologizing due to weather which was a lie. The pilot announced the real reason - not being able to return to Florida on time. It was not weather. They were more concerned about future flights in Florida than current flight-all boarded! Our first time and our last.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by B Hines    (USA)

Standard

After looking at reviews it appears most everyone has the same complaint - the baggage fees are as much as the plane ticket. Hard uncomfortable seats. Had to pay almost twice as much baggage fees coming from the Dominican Republic (in addition to paying a government fee to enter the country). To have to pay for water after paying for a ticket and those baggage fees shameful. I don't think we will ever fly Spirit again. We applied for a c card in order to get free miles. We are going to cancel the credit card.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Sara Lay    (USA)

Standard

My son got us tickets on Spirit because he thought it was the up and coming low fare airline. He didn't know what he was getting my into! Obviously he was uninformed, but he is now. First impression: signed in for boarding pass (didn't have to pay $10) and message came up that we had to pay $50 for each carryon, and we each had one so that was $100 that we did not expect on our carefully budgeted trip. I was fortunate to get a cup of water for my medication before we took off. One of our seatmates said she was on a flight where a lady needed medication and they wanted her to pay for water. By the way, water is not a complimentary item. For a budget airline, we are subsidizing their cheap fare policy, so I'll take the airline that at least I can feel comfortable on for an extra $100, which is usually Southwest, and they have lots of complimentary juice, water and soda. They won't lure me with anything.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by J Urgo    (USA)

Big

Atlanta to Atlantic City. 7/12/14. They should rename this airline "Nickel Dime Airline" because that is about all the service is worth and that's all they do, from the moment you book a flight - attempt to extort more and more money out of you. I'm surprised they don't sell passengers packets of toilet paper as you enter their very dirty, smelly on-board rest room. Spirit's excuse is that it's a "budget" airline. But by the time they are finished with all the add-on costs, a ticket that started out at a good (but really not rock-bottom) price usually ends up costing more than one on a non-budget airline - where you'll have bigger seats, cleaner restrooms, and a less confounding experience all around.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Elizabeth Bensend    (USA)

Standard

Never again! Our flight from LAX to Dallas Fort Worth was 2 hours late. When we boarded the plane the attendant that you usually see greeting you was busy on their phone. The attendant before take off checked the overhead compartment while sighing as if she didn't want to be there. The attendants were overall unpleasant. When we left Dallas Fort Worth to LAX we received the same greeting. The flight was an early morning 6.20 departure and I realize everyone is very tired in the morning and that perhaps the passengers have the right to sleep during the fight but I certainly don't think that the flight attendant should be sleeping in their seat at the back of the plane. My luggage is in Las Vegas and I am 4 hours North of LAX. The seats on the plane so small need not recline back. So uncomfortable! When I booked this flight I was excited that I had found airfare for family of 4 at such a low price, now I know why! I think what bothers me the most is that the attendants weren't very attentive and we're too busy with their social media to be bothered by the passengers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by C Duval    (France)

Standard

Flight 719 on Wednesday May 28th. I tried to fly on Spirit between Denver and Las Vegas, but the flight was canceled because of the absence of the crew. We spent one hour inside the aircraft itself waiting for them and finally, we had to spend the night at Denver airport after 5 hours waiting at the front desk to get a solution for the next day (with another company hopefully). The quality of the service was very poor. In addition, I was flying with a 7-month baby.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by K Riedl    (USA)

Standard

The total cost after paying all the fees was comparable to other airlines, so no real big saving with Spirit. Never flew Spirit and thought I'd give it a try. My flight to Oregon didn't happen because of mechanical failure (so cannot comment on in-flight experience), instead they would fly me from Pennsylvania, to Texas tonight (Friday), then to New Jersey overnight, and then depart for Vegas early Saturday morning. I would have 1.5 days in Vegas before getting on a flight to Oregon early Sunday evening. All of this "at no additional charge" said the clerk. They did not offer a hotel room in Vegas at no additional charge. My experiment blew up before getting off the ground, their business model has a lot of room for improvement, and I will not be booking with Spirit ever again. My weekend with my children was ruined.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Ronda Skube    (USA)

Standard

My husband and myself flew Spirit Airlines round-trip DFW to BWI in mid April. The first leg of the trip was fine, the return trip out of BWI was delayed by 4+ hours, as others have said it would have been nice to have a "free" soda onboard. They did give us a free $50 coupon for future travel, but it had to be used in 30 days, not a good deal. My daughter had the same trip in May, same problem, delayed out of BWI for hours! No free, I'm sorry for the delay offer of anything. My son and family (with 14 month old) had the same trip out of BWI and was delayed 7+ hours.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Pooja Kanani    (USA)

Standard

I was travelling from Houston to Vegas. I was allowed a carry on item inside the aircraft and was not informed that the carry on item was out of specification. With the same mindset, I was boarding my flight from Vegas and I was asked to pay $100 for the same bag which was within specification at Houston. I was not surprised as much by their inconsistent policy abiding attitude as much as I was by their rude staff. It was like they were trained to be rude. Luckily, I had a big paper bag where I could easily transfer my items and that's how a dodged the $100 extortion amount. I was definitely not ready to pay $100 for a bag that costs $40. I for one, will never fly this airline again. Their "cheap flights" are nothing but more expense in disguise.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by N Hubbard    (USA)

Big

I flew Spirit Airline on July 8 2014, Minneapolis to LAX. All staff including front desk, check-in and pilots were courteous and friendly. Plane was clean and the only challenge is people coming to board that did not read information about luggage size and one free carry on size despite this being posted all over Spirit Airline web site, people came with oversized luggage and were charged accordingly. Just know ahead you take your own food and drinks on board which many airlines do charge also and read expectations of seating. So worth the saved money of flying by flying this airline yes it's a no frills yet it is an Airline that does care about safety and cost effectiveness.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Joy Milwee    (USA)

Standard

This is one of the worst airlines that is flying in the USA, flight 912 from Orlando was delayed twice, customer service was called to find out the problem and was told that they had to do a lightning strike inspection. I can understand the safety aspect of this but to not offer any compensation to passengers that had been told to be at the gate one hour before the original schedule is very unreal. Will not recommend that anyone fly this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by L Moniz    (USA)

Standard

My boyfriend and I went to Fort Lauderdale last week from Boston. You think you are getting a great deal but once you get there they whack you with every luggage fee they possibly can. Don't think it's like every other airline and it's a 50lb max for checked luggage. No it's 40 and they will charge you for every pound over! They charge you for every soda/water and food that you get. To top it all off everything we saw said credit/debit only for food and drink. After a long wait we finally ordered two waters and were unable to buy them because the lady said it was cash only because the credit card machine was down. Fast forwarding to our flight home. We got to the airport 2.5 hours early. Sat in a Spirit check in line that was at least 100 people long with only one line open for check in and security. I honestly do not know if it was the airport or just spirit but needless to say we showed up to the gate at 9.22 when our flight was scheduled for 9.26 and the door was shut. They were so unhelpful in the situation I was shocked! When we asked when the next flight was it was not until 8.30 that night! We bought another flight for Delta.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Pauline Owens    (USA)

Standard

Flew to Vegas from Portland over Spring Break in April 2014. It's a bare bones operation for sure. Staff were fun and plane was clean. Baby cried all the way there, two little kids behind us screamed and fought the whole two hours, no one's fault but didn't make for a very pleasant trip down. No issues coming back, their baggage is very high, Southwest Airlines is a better buy for the money if you add in the $50 charge for 1 bag.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by J Hedger    (USA)

Standard

Terrible. One word to sum up Spirit airlines. The baggage fees are outrageous and the online baggage check never works so you have to pay at the airport. My wife waited in line because the online check in didn't work, missed her flight and was told to return the next day at 11. The never said 11pm. So she arrived at the airport and got all the way through security before anyone noticed her flight wasn't schedule for another 12 hours. This airline has the worst service, worst pricing, worst fees, smallest seats, and the worst most unprofessional website I have ever seen. I wouldn't fly on this airline if it were free.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by Dennis Serrao    (USA)

Standard

We flew from OAK to Las Vegas, 6/27/14. I was fully aware of their add on fees for everything so I won't be complaining about that. I have never flown Spirit so thought we would save some money but also worried that it was some type of chicken coup carrying fly by night airline and unfortunately it is. Not to mention I had 2 other couples with me and recommended Spirit to them. Now I understand there can be mechanical issues with planes but how it was handled was just horrible! Flight to leave at 2.10pm, pilot comes on "Ladies & Gentleman we need our mechanic to sign off on a repair should be 5-10 minutes". "Ladies & Gentlemen we can't find the mechanic and need to deplane should be 45 minutes". 2 hours later "we still can't find the mechanic", then - "we found the mechanic and he will be here in an hour". It's now about 4pm. "The mechanic is here and working on it", "the plane is fixed", "the plane is not fixed", now it's 6pm and they say "the plane is fixed and we will be boarding soon". Happy Roars from the crowd at Gate 5. 8 pm "we are sorry to say the plane is fixed but the pilots have timed out and we have no other pilots". No ground crew, no extra pilots just insane. Comedy of errors, lies/misinformation, no management, no help getting new flights on other airlines and on and on. We rushed to get our bags and I literally had to go behind the counter to help and grab my bags and run to a real airline and overpay for two one way tickets to Vegas. The absolute worst customer service. They only offered a lousy $50 voucher for our next flight which I am sure they know will never be used.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Jennifer Montano    (USA)

Standard

DFW to Boston on Sunday, June 29. Flight 254. Will never fly this airline again! As mentioned previously, they charge you for everything. You are not getting a good deal with this airline, the prices are very deceiving! I was shocked when the airline was going to charge me $25 at check in because my luggage was 45 lbs. I told them that I am under the max capacity. Well, at Spirit, 40lbs is their max for weight. What can a person pack for under 40lbs? In addition, the plane was dirty. The leather on the seats was fading, which gave the aircraft a dirty feel. I'm so used to flying Southwest and will continue with Southwest.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by C Cheek    (USA)

Standard

This is my first and will be my only experience with Spirit Airlines. I flew from Houston IAH to Orlando, and when I arrived at the ticketing counter in Houston, after I stood in line for 10 minutes told me that if the agent had to print off my ticket it would be $15, but that I could do it for free at the ticket kiosk. After I left line, waited for a kiosk, printed my ticket, returned to line, I was stunned to discover that Spirit Airlines charges a $45 fee for checked luggage, and $50 for carry-on luggage. After paying this egregious amount, they told me that my bag was 5 pounds overweight. When I finally reached the gate, boarded the plane, and began pulling away from the gate they informed us that there were problems with the plane's navigational system and we would have to return to the gate, but it would only take a few minutes to correct. Long story short, after the navigational system was fixed, the plane's toilet malfunctioned. 2.5 hours later we were still at the gate. To soothe irate passengers, they began passing out cookies. But they only had enough for less than half of the passengers. If you were in the 1/3 section of the rear of the plane, where I was, you didn't get a cookie. No complementary drinks either. They finally told us that we would have to deplane, and return to the terminal. We didn't leave Houston until 3 hours after the scheduled departure time. The seats don't recline. Learn from my mistake, don't fly Spirit Airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Rodney Harrison    (USA)

Standard

2 weeks ago I flew from Houston, TX to Detroit MI. Upon checking in at the front gate I was informed that even though I was active duty military personnel I still had to pay for my baggage. I have been serving our country for 6 years and I never had to pay for my baggage, however I was informed Spirit Airlines is the only airliner that does not honor the military incentive. After I paid $200 for my baggage I proceeded to my flight which was 45 mins late with no valid explanation. When I arrived in Detroit I waited 1 hr to receive my bags from the baggage claim. On my return flight once again I had to pay for my baggage,but I was forced to leave some things behind and return with 1 bag due to the baggage fees and the flight was late again. I usually don't write reviews but I was very dissatisfied with the service and the way Spirit Airlines conducts operations. I do not believe that I will ever use this airliner again or recommend their service to anyone.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Glenn Maertens    (USA)

Standard

Worst airline we have ever flown on. You think you are getting a fairly cheap flight which was only an hour flight from Vegas to San Diego. We had one check in bag and two carry on bags cost us $300. We were told to get on line and check our luggage 24 hours before our flight, when we went to do so, there was no way we could get on to do this. You had to create an account and enter a password which we did not have so you have to request one and was never sent to us, so no way to contact. So we start trying to call the airline, absolutely no way to get through. This airline is not only a rip off, but the staff is rude and after paying a total of $550 dollars for an hour flight have to pay for a water!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by R Smith    (USA)

Standard

We traveled from Baltimore to Ft.Lauderdale. To start off the flight was delayed once everyone was aboard, because of a mechanical issue. After sitting for an hour or so we take off. You would think they would have offered at least a free beverage for the delay, but no. They charge you for every little thing. The seats don't recline, the person behind me had their knees in my back, I didn't get too upset because they didn't know and the seats are so close together they probably could not help it. In addition, the industry standard of classifying a 50 pound bag as oversized is not the same with Spirit, their limit is 40 lbs and anything over that you start paying big money. Oh and don't forget to print out your boarding pass PRIOR to arriving at the airport or you will pay $10 for each one. I will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by S Manson    (USA)

Standard

Flew Spirit for first and last time. Sat on Tarmac at LGA for 1.5 hours, therefore missed connection arriving in Detroit approximately 8.30pm. At Detroit gate agent told three angry passengers we should not have been on flight. Gate agent further informed us earliest flight for us was next day at 3pm arriving at destination 9pm - 24 hours after scheduled arrival. Was further told that they would not provide hotel, food or ticket for another airline with more convenient flights. When questioned that other airlines do such routinely was told "We are not other airlines". Unless you enjoy cramped seats and lousy customer service and are on a very tight budget do not fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by J Burger    (USA)

Standard

Do not fly this airline. My outgoing flight was delayed twice. Then on my returning flight no one would help me put my bag in the over head storage, I have 3rd degree burns on my body and cannot lift heavy items. Once we landed I forgot something on the plane and it took an hour for them to get it to me. Very poor customer service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by John Marcus    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airline does not properly inform passengers of flight status changes or cancellations and costs more than equivalent flights on either United or American Airlines. When approached, representatives appear flustered and uninformed about flight status, refunds, etc. Do yourself a favor, book your flight on another carrier and save the headache, increased cost and loss of funds. In early May, my wife and I decided to take our eldest son and book a flight to visit family in Houston, Texas. At first glance, it appeared $50 cheaper per ticket to book our flight with Spirit Airlines. I had heard, by word of mouth, there were extra charges for checked in baggage. Where other airlines were charging $50/bag or so, Spirit charged $100. Since we only had carry-on baggage, we figured we'd save the $150 on our tickets. On June 18, 2014, we checked online with Spirit Airlines and learned our 7pm flight was delayed several times and the Spirit Representatives could only tell us about the delays 30 to 60 minutes after the scheduled departure time. This was totally useless. At 4am we were getting ready to board our plane to Houston, when we got the announcement that our flight was cancelled. No information or help was given. We were told to go to the main counter outside of security to see if they could help us. The line was 3 hours long, but fortunately my ticket agent, Cheaptickets.com helped on the phone. I was one of the fortunate individuals. I realized I was short-sided in my thought to save $150. Spirit Airlines is not a good alternative. Do not believe their marketing hype about getting the same flight for less.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by Karen Stevens    (USA)

March 12, 2014, flight 310 from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale. Awful. My red eye was delayed 2 hours, and I ended up losing my rental car reservation, so I had to pay double. The cabin smelt like exhaust fumes the whole time before take off, the plane must have been really old. When we landed, for some reason the plane took off again. The pilot did not have the courtesy to give us an explanation. We thought there was some mechanical problem, and couldn't land. The worst flight I've been on.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by T Tytam    (USA)

Standard

Absolutely the worst flying experience! I departed Atlanta with two bags, my purse and a small carry on that fit within the required personal bag space. The representative said my bag was ok, when departing DFW I was denied boarding unless I paid $100 dollars for my luggage. I explained to the gate personnel that I wasn't charged before and was told I could fly with the bag. I will not recommend anyone to fly this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by S John    (USA)

Big

I recently flew from Chicago to Minneapolis. I paid for the base fare which includes one personal item. Since I was staying for 4 days with friends I didn't need a large suitcase or carry on bag I was able to fit everything into a bag which meets the free bag policy and fits on the floor under the seat. The money I saved was enough to purchase one of the large seats in the front and I was quite comfortable and the seat in fact reclined and was not set to a fixed position. If you read carefully at the time you book you will see the baggage policy. If you want to use the overhead bin there is a charge of $35 at the time you book. When you check in online it will ask you if you need to check more bags and you will pay a little more then if you had your act together when you booked. If you just ignore it all and take your carry on to the gate and you didn't pay in advance yes to get to pay $100, that's on you, you should read as you book. My flight was delayed an hour and a half going because Air Force One went to Minneapolis the same day and about the same time, not Spirits fault. Also the trip back was delayed 15 minutes, not too bad. If you want to drink water or soda, being it on or you have to buy it. Do your homework, if you are taking a long vacation with baggage, something like Southwest may be better. But if you are going a short distance, don't need a free half can of soda and tiny bag of peanuts and can pack light and know how to check in o line and print your boarding pass, then Spirit is a good alternative and not nearly as bad as people here say. The gate agents and cabin crew were just fine, the same as any other I have flown with. I'm giving F & B and Inflight Entertainment a 1 because it's up to you if you want to buy a drink aboard, I didn't and I had my iPad for a movie.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by Brenda Baba    (USA)

Standard

I have flown to DFW from Michigan more times than I can remember, since my son moved to Texas. My first trip on Spirit Airlines, which I will dub, "Spirit Liarlines", was bad before we got off the ground in Detroit. They pretended the plane we boarded had a mechanical problem, so we all got off and was told only a couple of hours delay. After a five hour delay we were put on a different plane. On the trip back to Detroit from DFW the delays started long before I got to the airport, moving my departure time from 7.43pm to 9.47pm at 1.30 in the afternoon. Spirit Liarlines website says, Circumstances change quickly, so please arrive 60 minutes before original departure time to avoid potentially missing your flight.”So, it is a delay that might not be a delay and one that forced me to arrive at 6.43pm for a flight that did not depart until 11.20pm.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by A Withey    (USA)

Standard

June 17th and back on the 25t. I bought my bundle ticket through Expedia and regretted flying on Spirit when I found out I was going to be charged 150.00 going and another 150.00 coming back for carry on luggage. Service was horrible. They charged for even a cup of coffee. Seats did not go back and no videos while we flew. I wish I could give less than a one.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by Robert Jarvis    (USA)

Standard

Horrible experience sending my son and two granddaughters back to Latrobe this afternoon. Had pre booked this trip to Orlando a month ago, as we now know through Spirit Airlines. A real no frills flight program! Couldn't use money to buy condiments coming down, on the way back could. But that wasn't the horrible thing about this trip - scheduled to go out of Orlando at 3.26 so we get there at 2.15, standing in line and by the time my son gets to the counter he's told he's 3 minutes late and his baggage cannot be put on the plane! Next they have to figure out if they can get him onto the plane on a ticket he already has, so he and the two babies rush to the boarding dock while my wife and I wait to make sure we don't have to take him back home with us. Get the call and he and the girls are on the plane. A total lack of co-operation and understanding on part of the Spirit Airlines people, complete lack of empathy.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by D Taylor    (USA)

Standard

My family and I flew Spirit from Baltimore to Las Vegas. I had no idea the seats did not recline, and this was so very uncomfortable for a long flight. I feel the extra charges for one carry on bag for each person and to have to pay $3 per person for water is a bit much. As I was getting off the plane, one of the crew members, who did not say excuse me or thank you for flying with us, grabbed his luggage and just cut right in front of me. I would possibly recommend Spirit for a 90 min or less flight, but definitely not for a longer flight.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards