Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Spirit Airlines
1.5 Star Rating: Very Poor

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by Joanne Maury    (USA)

Standard

Myrtle Beach to Chicago round-trip. 10/15, return: 10/19. My flight was cheap, left on time, arrived early, terminal staff and air crew were pleasant and courteous and the cost was half of other air carriers. I don't need a BFF or ego stroking, just get me where I want to go! I will fly Spirit again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by T Easley    (USA)

Standard

Spirit exceeded my expectations! Before buying a round-trip ticket, I read many reviews from various websites, which all complained about additional costs, customer service, cramped seats, and delays. So I was really expecting the worst. Well, I must say I enjoyed Spirit. People need to do their research first before flying them. I flew from O'Hare to Vegas round-trip for $166. I did the bare fare, I just backpacked 3 pairs of clothing, toiletries, ipad, and few personal items so I would incur $0 in baggage fees. I printed out my boarding pass ahead of time to incur $0 of fees, so just got to the airport and went straight to the gate. I did notice the Spirit check in line was seriously backed up when I got to O'Hare, but flying them I would never bring checked in luggage considering the fees are high. Any snacks I brought in my backpack. So I never really encountered any service people besides the flight attendants on the flight. Both flights were on time, not delayed, and we arrived in Vegas 40 minutes ahead of time. Both flights were smooth and the attendants were fine. The seating to me was like any other normal US airline. The space may be cramped a small bit but the seats were like a fa ke leather and comfortable enough. So Spirit far exceeded my expectations after reading all the bad reviews. Spirit is best if you are going to take a 2-4 day trip, do the bare fare by only needing to pack everything in a small carryon or backpack for free. Print out your boarding passes at home for free. I would not be flying Spirit if you're checking in several bags, connecting flights, etc. I can see where the complaints would come in then. I will be definitely be using them from now on to go to Vegas and future non-stop destinations.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by J Mckeown    (Canada)

Standard

Spirit offers very low fares, and all you need to do is understand what you are getting for that very low fair, nothing but the flight. When I pay $110.00 for a return flight across the country (Detroit to Fort Lauderdale), I am willing to pay extra if required, but some planning ahead means you can avoid most fees. Our plane was new, I upgraded to an exit row seat for $25.00 more, we left on time, and my luggage arrived, what more do you expect for such a low cost? Better then some other airlines I have used. For the people who complain about paying for a carry on, or no free drink, plan ahead and purchase your luggage online when booking for a reduced rate, factor in the cost when comparing flights, or fly with someone else. The entire Spirit business model is you pay for everything, you have no one to blame but yourself if you didn't realize this until you got on the plane. I am happy to pay $110.00 and go without a free can of pop and not use the overhead bin!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by C Law    (USA)

Standard

I did my research ahead of time, prepared my personal item a few days ahead of time (for a 3 day trip) and was ready to experience the worst. I flew from Dallas to LAX and back. The flights left on time, I felt safe in the air, getting on and off the plane was no problem, staff was nice, pilots were nice, I was able to get food and drinks at the airport itself. The seats were small, but I'm short and I had my movies to keep entertained. I hope this wasn't a fluke, because I wouldn't mind starting to use Spirit for my shorter trips, where I would rather use more of my money on the trip itself.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by C Miguel    (Canada)

Standard

I do not understand what the negative reviews are all about. If you paid half the price the normal air ticket would cost then stop complaining. The add-on fees are clearly written in the conditions, if you do not take the time to read them then it is your problem. One thing you can save money is to travel light, bring only a backpack, there would be no additional charge. If the flight is canceled due to weather conditions it is not because of the company. Okay Spirit airlines flights are late, but other companies flights can be also late. If you pay less then you get what you paid for - you should have a higher tolerance level or else travel with Spirit is not for you. I traveled with Spirit to Costa Rica last year in May from New York, the round ticket cost me $367 - the flight was about 2 hours late (did not mind), but the plane was new and clean, staff smiley, and didn't get any unpleasant surprises. 10/10!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by S Greg    (USA)

Standard

Spirit is by far the most unreliable airline I have flown. Aside from the 2 plus hour delays, aside from the cheap seats with super thin backrests/the cramped space, aside from charging for any bag bigger than a size of a purse, it's been a cost effective experience - one in which I'll pay not to ever fly again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by Christine Krause    (USA)

Standard

We flew Chicago to Myrtle Beach and back just last week. All our flights left early and arrived early. Staff at the counters and on flights where courteous, polite and fun! We had plenty of leg and seat room, more than on some other commercial flights I've flown in the past year (my boyfriend is 5'10" and 220 lbs, I am 5'7" and 175 lbs). I was nervous reading all the reviews but will NOT hesitate to fly Spirit again. I am looking for flights for my daughter as I type. I did not purchase any food or beverages, I brought a snack for both of us. The only downside, is the 3.5 hour drive to Chicago. I wish Spirit was closer to Appleton, WI and we would take more long weekend trips. Spirit and Allegiant Airlines offer a wonderful service, great customer care at super rates.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by D Larson    (USA)

Standard

I was very wary about using Spirit Airlines after reading all of the bad reviews. I was pleasantly surprised by what I experienced. First off read the whole website about fees or you will be upset and pay more. If you bring a purse and laptop they will charge you for the laptop, unless you can fit it in your purse. Watch the videos about packing so you have no surprises. I left last Wed out of Minneapolis to Detroit. I printed by own boarding passes so I was not charged. Counter ladies very friendly. I went to my gate, again counter ladies very friendly. The people that were upset and mad were due to them not reading the website and understanding all the fees. If you do not read the website and all the fees you will pay extra at the gate to bring your bag on. Pilots, flight attendants very friendly. I chose not to pay for a seat, it was only an hour flight. So I was given a middle - again only an hour flight. If I was flying to Los Angeles from MPLS, I may have chosen the bigger seats and paid the additional money. Plane was new and very clean. Seats are narrow. If you are a bigger person, pay for the bigger seat. Very small tables. I noticed most did not buy refreshments, they are pricey. My flights were on time and I encountered no issues. I would fly Spirit again. I cannot re-iterate enough make sure you read the whole website, understand the fees and you will be just fine. Great fares!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by A Walker    (USA)

Standard

We are currently onboard Spirit Flight 710 that landed at LaGuardia airport on time on Sunday, October 19. Upon arrival the pilot announced that another aircraft was loading passengers at our gate and we would be at the gate within 15 minutes. It is now over an hour later and we are still not at our gate, no further announcements. The pilot has announced that the FAA is completing the log book and the flight attendants should provide us complimentary snacks and drinks. Only one gate for this flight and no plan B, is on of their continued problem and the lack of customer service is another major issues. Any consideration for sending a bus and have us deplane? The plane is freezing cold! We were doing fine until we finally landed and after not flying Spirit for a while owing to the poor and consistently horrific customer service, my return has been met with another horror ending. Spirit, do us a favour and do not expand until you improve your existing services.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by V Ng    (USA)

Standard

Took a flight from Phoenix to Lima, Peru for $650 (beating the $1300 on United - the next best option). Took every precaution and planned ahead (pre-paid carry on, printed tickets at home, brought my own snacks, etc). Didn't pay extra for assigned seating and still ended up sitting next to my travel partner. Had 2 layovers - one in Dallas and one in Ft. Lauderdale, neither one was delayed nor got cancelled. Maybe I just got beginner's luck and had no issues with my flights and didn't have to deal with their customer service? Seat comfort (or lack of) will be my biggest complaint - domestic flights are extra firm and do not recline, but the international flight to Peru and back was like any other economy seating you'd find on regular planes that have more cushion and do recline. After my flight experience to Peru, I opted to pay for a window seat on the return flight so I can be slightly more "comfy". I do recommend this airline for short trips - I probably won't make another 10+ hour trip because seats are just too uncomfortable. Do your research and read the small print on the Spirit website. The website clearly states exactly what you will need to purchase ahead of time and what you will get charged if you don't. I've flown other budget airlines like, JetStar and Tigerair in Asia and they pretty much operate the same way - they don't charge you what you don't use, that's why tickets are so cheap!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by H Waxweiler    (USA)

Big

May have saved a few dollars in airfare but paid more in the long run. Leaving Chicago, flight delayed 2 hours. When asked why, no response could be given, actually got a shoulder shrug. Arrived in Las Vegas 3 hours late, still do not know why. Leaving Vegas on Monday, check flight status before leaving for hotel, "on time". Flight supposed to leave at 8:29 am, at 7:45 post that the arriving flight just leaving from Dallas. You mean to tell me they did not know our flight was delayed when the arriving flight had not even left the airport? Would it kill to keep flight information updated and accurate? Most airlines send out update texts, which requires only an automated system. Spirit cannot be bothered with little things like Customer Service. I guess our time is worth nothing. When all said and done, baggage fees, seat assignment fees, $2 for water, and five extra hours in the airport means bye-bye.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by J Stevens    (USA)

Standard

Oct 3 2014, flight #189, Houston to Las Vegas. Oct 7 2014, flight #398, Las Vegas to Houston. Bad customer service! Flight delayed 4 hours and notification to passengers was not timely. Nickel and dime is true. My seat ridiculously tight and should come with a warning, seriously. Next time, I will just pay a bit more, fly a real airline and be semi-miserable.  Also, no internet or TV or music, etc.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by M Burdette    (USA)

Standard

I flew from DFW to Tampa Oct 18, 2014, and return flight Oct 22, 2014. First leg of flight was delayed 8 hours. I was scheduled to arrive 6.30 pm, and arrived at 2.30 am. I was not given a voucher for cab, food, or any viable alternative travel options. I was visiting a friend who was recovering from major surgery and could not ask anybody in her family to pick me up at that time of night/morning, so I paid for a $40 cab ride. The flight back to DFW was packed, and I was in a row with a man who had to have been well over 400 pounds, possibly closer to 500 pounds. A girl and I shared one seat, while the large man had two seats. I was terribly disappointed with Spirit Airlines. Although your flight attendants are wonderful, they can't make up for these ridiculous fails on your scheduling and overbooking. I would have paid an extra $500 to get to my destination on time, and to actually get a full seat on my flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by K Stearns    (USA)

Standard

The negative reviews almost prevented me from trying Spirit. I just completed my second round trip. The airline website and follow up email set expectations. If you read everything Spirit provides you will have a better experience because you'll know what to expect and expectations will be in alignment. If you don't like saving money, fly a non low-cost airline. My personal experience was much better than expected in all categories. On one flight the captain actually made the pre-flight announcement outside the cockpit for all to see. This is a great alternative to existing airline experiences.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by C Zegelbone    (USA)

Standard

The prices are tempting. Just keep in mind there is a charge for everything except using the bathroom on the plane, so be sure to add those charges in when figuring the actual price of your ticket. You are allowed one free "carry-on", as long as it will fit under the seat in front of you. For a carry-on-sized bag that is free on other airlines, you pay an additional $45.00 each way, so for a round-trip ticket, if you fly with a carry-on, add $90.00 to the fare. This is only if you pay at the ticket counter or on-line. If you wait until you get to the gate, it will cost you $100.00 one way for your carry-on. You are able to check-in online 24 hours before the flight. Do it, because they overbook. If you want to select a particular seat, the charge is $15.00 one way. There is a charge for all refreshments, including bottled water. On many planes the seats don't move. All of this I knew about before-hand. What I didn't know about was how poorly the airline treats their customers once they have the booking. The representatives of the airline either lie or intentionally ill informed. Either way it works against the customer. I was delayed from 8.30pm until midnight on my return flight. Always check on your flight before you leave for the airport. Sadly I didn't. No one was at the gate to inform people, and there were no announcements. The only way we found out anything was with our smartphones. No texts from the airline either. At 10:30 PM, finally there came an announcement: we were told that the flight was cancelled because of bad weather. We could either take a refund for one way or wait until the next night at 8.30pm and try again. No help looking for other flights on other airlines either. Where was the bad weather? Skies were clear. The flight originated in Houston, took off and went directly to Ft. Lauderdale, and by-passed my stop in New Orleans. Spirit reps didn't tell anyone about that either - found out about that piece of info through a friend who called the airline. I went to the ticket counter and was told Spirit had no other flights available until the next night. I found out about another flight on Spirit that left the next afternoon when I called the airline after I got back to my daughters house. Others were not so lucky. No hotel vouchers for that night because the airline doesn't issue vouchers for flights cancelled due to bad weather. Spirit is notorious for claiming bad weather as the excuse for flight cancellations. That night, the agent on the phone did book me on the afternoon flight the next day, no extra charge. But be warned - don't fly in the evening if you can help t or you can get stranded, make your own phone calls, and don't trust Spirit reps at the airport to help you or give you accurate information. I'm going to have to save a lot of money to ever fly this airline again. Not worth the aggravation!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by F Reitzel    (USA)

Standard

Oct 2nd from Oakland, CA to Dallas Fort-Worth TX. Flight 408, return October 5th. I read all the reviews after purchasing our tickets. However, our experience with Spirit Airlines was better than I expected. Our flight was delayed but that was due to weather. There were no other problems, we got what we paid for, a simple airline with no extras. We were satisfied and would fly with Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Jake Shearier    (USA)

Standard

First and last Spirit flight. Was warned by friends that the extra fees and consistently late or canceled flights wouldn't be worth the $20 savings. They were right. Delayed from MSP to LAS - 1 hr. Delayed 2.5 hours from LAS to MSP.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Robbie Smith    (USA)

Standard

Awful service, delayed flights, poor communication (attendant with poor mannerisms, made few announcements, did not know correct gate until last minute). On the first flight, the attendants did not know which gate the 2nd flight would be until they landed and opened the plane door (what is this, no abilities to call the airport ahead of time?). During layover, I had to deplane knowing I had to board the same plane again. I misplaced my ticket during the layover and hence had to wait until the very end to reprint my ticket and board again. This entire process could have been avoided if I stayed on the same plane to begin with.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Henry Hernandez    (USA)

Standard

Miami was my original place of departure we were run from gate 2,4,6,8 about ten times until finally we left on gate 10 after 45 minutes of the playing magical gate game. The price for the baggage was excessive and overcame the rest of the pleasant flight. Don't worry there are other airline with lower service rating like American Airline and lower of poll US Airways.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Karen Sawyer    (USA)

Big

We could not have been more satisfied with our trip. We left San Diego exactly on time and arrived at Dallas a bit early. The flight was smooth and service was satisfactory. People at the ticket counter were courteous and helpful. I see the other reviews and think some people need to think in advance. If a drink is important bring your own. If you want food, bring your own. Learn to pack light. Bring a book to read. You can avoid the extra charges if you are smart. You can't beat the prices for Spirit tickets. Our tickets were half from the other airlines. I will definitely fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Jenkinson Aaron    (USA)

Standard

Purchased airfare from Denver to Ft. Lauderdale with a connection in Chicago. After arriving at Denver airport and waiting at the gate for boarding I received an email saying the flight to Chicago was delayed an hour. No less than 15-20 minutes later I received a second email saying that the flight was actually on time and the customer service rep announced we would be boarding at 2pm. Wrong! Sat there at the gate another 20-30 minutes after 2pm and just as the plane is boarding, they call the names of all the Ft Lauderdale bound passengers and tell us that we aren't going to make our connection and the next available flight is on Sunday. This was a Tuesday! As if that wasn't bad enough, the service reps responses were extremely rude and amounted to "gee sorry, who cares". Already had paid their $50 bag fee, which they had originally charged me $80 for. Their employees kept telling us the issue was air traffic control in Chicago but coincidentally nearly every one of their flights from anywhere to Denver that day were late or delayed, not at all just Chicago. It was blatantly obvious that they were straight up lying and that the real issue was likely a mechanical problem. Eventually got sick of arguing and had them refund everything and re-booked the next day on a real airline which cost me an extra $300.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by R Caswell    (USA)

I will never fly this airline again. The tickets are cheap, but any savings are more than made up for as they proceed to nickel and dime you every chance they get. The checked bag fee is almost double what other airlines charge, but it's outrageous that they charge even more for carry on bags. They also charge to print your boarding pass, which I was asked to rip in half myself before boarding the plane. The seats don't recline so that they can pack more passengers on the plane - very uncomfortable. I expected to pay for food, but not for drinks - including water. The plane was filthy - as I boarded I noticed crumbs all over the seats and large pieces of food all over the floor. I will never fly with this airline again. I wont go business with a company that charges me hidden fees at every opportunity.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Joe Thielen    (USA)

Standard

Do not believe their hype that they are cheap. Spirit charges for everything. You pay for your flight and find out there is an additional fee when assigning your regular seats, water on the flight, and expensive luggage prices which includes carry on. Once you total all the added fees, you are paying more. They added more rows of seats, which means you have less room than normal. First time I used them and feel "hosed".

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Diana Byrne    (USA)

Standard

I traveled to Chicago O'Hare from Orlando on Sept 24th - all went well, left on time and arrived on time. A smooth flight and everyone was very courteous.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by J Moy    (USA)

Standard

This airline gave me what I was looking for - an inexpensive way to get me from point A to point B. Due to maintenance problems, we were held up for 4 hrs, but that tells me they're more concerned with their safety record than their on-time record. They gave a voucher for a meal at the terminal. The seats were fairly close together, but not horribly so. The desk staff and flight attendants were friendly and efficient. Good solid flight with a worthy aircraft. I'll fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by L Chiappetta    (USA)

Standard

Orlando (MCO), 9/29/14 to Latrobe (LBE), flight 878. LBE to MCO, flight 863, 10/4/14. I guess I was one of the lucky ones because both my flights were on time. As far as bare fare, if you can read, you know the rules. Why complain? Go somewhere else. The seats are not too roomy, true, but they are not so uncomfortable either. They are leather. The staff were friendly and I would fly with Spirit again. As far as food, there are basically only snacks you can purchase. You can get two drinks for a dollar each. So people again who complain must be really cheap.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by P Schweizer    (Australia)

Big

LAX-IAH return. Both flights on time, friendly crew, read the small print and printed boarding passes at home. Friendly check-in staff both in LAX and IAH. Both flights including big seats, checked-in luggage were about half the price as I would have paid on UA in first. Only downside, credit card machines did not work on both flights so could not purchase any drink/food on the plane. Would not hesitate to fly them again in the future.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by C Maitlin    (USA)

Standard

Worst trip ever. Flight was cancelled due to fire in air traffic control in Chicago (not the fault of Spirit). However, the customer service was horrendous. The next day, I checked in and the manager was training 5 new employees. The manager was taking her time to show them the process step by step and made me jump through hoops to show them how a customer checks luggage to make sure it's the right size. I asked if, considering the last 24 hours, she could skip the training and check me in faster. She was rude, inconsiderate, and showed 5 new employees that terrible customer service is OK with Spirit. I'll never fly them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Jack Marshfield    (USA)

Standard

I traveled on a flight from Myrtle Beach to St. John, Virgin Islands. My family had not read the rules and requirements for the airline, so we were surprised by the added fees of baggage, and had to work to try and get things straightened out. The desk clerk tried her best to be as helpful as possible to minimize any fees that needed to be paid. Once on the flight, the seats were a squeeze, but no more uncomfortable that most airline seats, with the exception that they do not recline in any way. No big loss, there. Any snacks or drinks on the flight have to be paid for, at airline inflated prices, and there was no in-flight video, no wi-fi, no entertainment of any sort. Those can be dealt with by bringing your own drink and snacks in your personal bag, piece of cake. It's not comfortable by any measure, but it's not bad considering the price was about a third of the price on any other airline I looked up.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Antoine Mose    (USA)

Standard

Flight from Chicago to Boston got cancelled due to bad weather. The customer service was very limited (extremely long wait time, it felt like speaking to a robot who kept repeating itself). The company only provided the option of booking the next available Spirit flight which was more than 24hours later or get a refund of the cancelled flight (so only 50% of total flight price). The company didn't provide the opportunity of booking a flight with another airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Vince Powling    (USA)

Standard

Horrible customer service, unprofessional staff, bad information. Flight out to Chicago was late 90 minutes. Was misinformed that my flight was canceled on the return and ended up having to pay for a hotel and dinner and catching a red-eye flight on my dime on the return. Worst ever experience flying and with customer service in general. These folks hire people that are unprofessional and have zero training in service. They also nickle and dime you for everything. I wouldn't fly them again, also they have the worst seats in the airline industry.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by M Harris    (USA)

Standard

The worst of the worst (and then it goes downhill from there). First time I flew them the flight took off 2 hours late. The second time (shame on me given their reputation) the flight was announced as late and then took off on time without announcement causing me to miss the flight. Even though several others missed the flight as well and after 1.5 hours in customer (non) service lines there was no refund or credit offered. When an interviewer suggested Spirit was the Walmart of airlines, he proudly stated that was not true, Spirit was the Dollar Store of Airlines. Odd thing to be proud about. Never on time, surly employees, no consideration or accommodation for anything. All of the employees I've spoken to hate them (which is probably why they're so surly). It is the airline equivalent of riding on top of a train in India. If you must patronize them, make very sure you are aware of their draconian policies or you will receive surprises that will not be enjoyable!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Edward Crouch    (USA)

Flight 660, Sept 6th, Kansas City to Chicago. Fight 659, Sept 10th, Chicago to Kansas City. I just completed my first round trip on Spirit Airlines and after reading the bad reviews, I have to write about what a good experience I had. The counter staff were extremely helpful and courteous to help me understand the nuances that Spirit clearly states on their website. The pilots were professional, the two A320's I flew on appeared to be in good condition and from my perspective were comfortable. The cabin crews were welcoming and attentive to safety issues  I felt Spirit is really good value.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by S Horton    (USA)

Standard

From Houston to Atlanta - Ticket Cost $353, to check in at the counter $10, Kiosk- free, Carry on Bag $50 at the Kiosk, $100, at the gate. For a reserve seat $5 to $25, a random Seat - free. Sodas and water $3 each, 2 sodas and bag of chips $7. All drinks and food were for purchase. They did not have a card reader so it was cash only. Flight attendants were not needed, because they didn't provide a service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by L Yock    (USA)

Standard

Having flown during most of my career I've experienced about every airline and every travel situation imaginable. Yesterday I was completing my first round trip on Spirit. I was traveling through Chicago, this was the morning of the fire in a Chicago area air traffic control facility. Needless to say air travel was a mess. The Spirit staff at MSP was as professional and efficient as I've ever experienced. They were facing a very difficult set of circumstances and they were doing their very best to accommodate many people who were much more stressed than what the situation required. Also, all 4 legs of my flights were as comfortable as any other airline seat - the onboard crew members were friendly and efficient. The entire experience was as positive as the other 20+ flights I've had this year on several different airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by B Ferguson    (USA)

Standard

No value, not satisfied, not using this company any longer. I saved money on the tickets, but after my bag and carry-on fees I spent more than the other airlines was charging, oh and don't fly back into the USA and go through customs at Ft. Lauderdale unless you have 5 hours to waste. 5 hours in line and office told me they were short 25 employees and those that were on staff were knew which meant they were slow.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by M Murtagh    (USA)

Standard

9/18, TPA-DFW, flight 813, 9/22, DFW-TPA, flight 812. I read the reviews and was prepared for "no frills" service. Flights were on time seats were not noticeably smaller. Attendants were pleasant. No real difference from United. If you pay luggage fees when booking, it is cheaper.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Karen Harrison    (USA)

Standard

Spirit is a scam. Its approach is to make you believe you are getting a deal, but there is a charge for everything and the seats are so uncomfortable unless you purchase a a big seat. I was going to my graduation on a simple flight from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando, which should have been a simple flight, however, both flights were delayed over an hour coming and going within two days. I missed my graduation exercise because of the terrible service!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Chris Jeffery    (USA)

Standard

From LGA to FLL - no bag sizer next to the kiosks at LGA, so I was not sure if I should pay the 50$ fee for bags or not. I did for fear of having to pay 100$ per bag at the gate. There was a bag sizer in the boarding area I measured my bags (2) and called the attendant over to verify that both were of size to go on the plane for free. The attendant agreed but said that they couldn't give a refund now because they were already starting the boarding process and this was the only attendant working at the gate. He said that we could get the refund from customer service upon arrival with no problem - that was a lie. Customer service was less than useless and refused to issue a refund even after placing our bags in the sizer again and seeing that they qualified to travel for free. We later called the airline and spent 45 min on the phone which lead to more excuses - bottom line, this airline is a giant scam and I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Nelson John    (USA)

Flight 971 running late due to crew arriving late. Airline only allows 1 personal bag, the other you must pay $50 to place it in the overhead compartment - $45 to check it to your final destination. 1st and last time I fly with them!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Sid Sab    (USA)

Standard

From beginning to end, my experience with Spirit Airlines supported the negative reputation that I have born witness to. Several flights were delayed several hours and there was no consideration for the passenger/customer through the inconvenience to our plans. Being charged for drinks on board a flight that was delayed and ultimate tacked on 6 more hours onto a trip is a slap in the face. The inability to seat myself and my wife in another pair of seats, because her seat did not lock in the upright position, while their are seats available is insulting. I presume locking the seat in the upright position is stressed for safety reasons. Why wasn't sitting in a seat that locks in the upright position? I originally thought flying this airline would prove to be a bargain, but after being charged for carry-on and/or check-in luggage, seating, refreshments, catching up on wasted time, flying with Spirit proved to be very costly.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by S J Kerwin    (USA)

Cheap airline but not so cheap when you get to airport, $30 for checked luggage but only 40lbs, the usual is 50 lbs so then they hit you with an additional $25 and then a carryon is another $25 - then seats are so close together that sardines have it better. We usually fly United but got a really good deal on seats so decided to try. Never again, in the long run any other airline would have been cheaper and certainly more service. Thank goodness the flight was only 2 hrs.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Mary Psihogios    (USA)

On Tuesday, September 23rd, I had a flight out of BWI airport in Maryland scheduled for take off at 12.41 which of course was delayed and delayed and delayed. I realize that it comes with the territory when you fly and it's bound to happen when you fly often which I do. The problem I had most was there was no real explanation for the delay, the plane was there, the weather was good in both locations. When it would get close to the time they predicted we should board or pass it then they would say something like, it wasn't "cleared" to fly. None of us knew if we were getting out of Baltimore that day or not and as time ticked away they did not offer any alternatives. We did finally take off around 6.15 or something with a $7 voucher in our hands that didn't cover the cost of an entire meal and a $50 credit tied to our confirmation number so everyone better not loose that but they still made us pay for a soda on the plane. I don't know it's just me but I think they could have done better.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by K Engstrom    (USA)

Chicago to Orlando, September 17th. Return flight September 21st Orlando to Chicago. First and last flight. No second chance. The round trip was plenty of experience. Delayed both flights and not weather related. They charge for every last thing and you pay more for carry in than checked. Do I get to charge them for cleaning up the food droppings, peanut shells and dirty Kleenex in my seat? The staff is rude probably from getting grief regarding the fees and delays. I would gladly pay $50 more to be treated like human.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2014 by M Cherchelanova    (USA)

Standard

My husband made a reservation from Chicago to Las Vegas. We were supposed to depart at 5.09pm but their representatives at the gate told us that the flight was delayed to 8.38 pm. Than at 8.00 pm we understood that the flight was delayed again to 10.10pm and the "empty airplane" which was specifically for us (feeling very special) just left Myrtle Beach. Every time I fly with Spirit Airlines there is some problem. This is the last time that I'm flying with them. Spirit Airlines doesn't care for their customers at all. Delays all the time. You pay for your carry on bag more than the regular bag (of course you don't have one free bag at all). If it's going like this soon we'll be forced to pay for our personal items as well. I will not fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2014 by J Smith    (USA)

Standard

While sitting waiting for my departing flight I read some terrible reviews. This was a family medical emergency flight to Orlando. Booked less than 24 hrs prior. All the other airlines wanted $700 plus. Spirit came in at a reasonable $391, out of a tiny airport in PA - free parking - yes that small. The flight crew were fantastic, I think they got their training from Southwest! The low numbers for food beverage and inflight entertainment are due to the fact there was no option for NA. Trip home was a little exciting, landing was aborted due to last minute change in weather. Our competent flight crew were on top of it. I will certainly be a return customer.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2014 by M Benham    (USA)

Standard

To be fair, Spirit warns you that it is a bare bones on the cheap airline. it is the Greyhound of the sky and proud of it. My flight was delayed 7 hours due to the crew not showing up to the fly the plane. The worst part about it though, was the fact that I arrived at the airport 10 hours early to try and get an earlier flight. when I checked in they informed me of the delay. They knew of the problem 10 hours out and did nothing. I gave up the fight because this was an experiment to see if it would be worth using them again. Obviously you really get what you pay for. However, about 40 passengers where loud enough to get someone, manager?, to try to calm the situation. She then spent 30 minutes flipping back and forth between excuses, what she could do to help, and what not. in the end she informed everyone that they could cancel their flight for a 150 dollar fee or get comfortable. It is unfortunate there is not recourse the passenger have in a situation like this. Again, the airline knew 10 hours in advance of the problem and just did nothing. Just a live and learn situation. did get a 7 dollar meal voucher. Got me a large water for $7.50.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2014 by M Montgomery    (USA)

Standard

Dallas to NYC-no problem. Return flight on 9/22 is a different story. We were boarding the plane with the exact same luggage we had on the original flight. One of the gate attendants insisted that my wife's bag was over sized and we would have to pay $50 to take it on board. I read all of the requirements when we got our boarding passes that morning, and it said clearly that each person was allowed 1 carry on bag, and 1 personal item like a purse, etc. When I placed the bag in question into the container that is used to measure allowable size, it fit perfectly. Another passenger walked by and said the same thing had happened to her on this flight as well. After the attendant noticed that the bag was ok, she said that if my wife's purse and a small camera bag that I was carrying would not fit into a carry on bag we would have to pay $50. I told her that her company's written policy stated that we could board with what we had, and that we had traveled on previous occasions with no problem, her only response was that no one else was doing their job right but her. We were backed into a corner, the plane was boarding and there is only 1 flight per day from NYC to Dallas, so I had no choice but to pay. When I told another attendant there that we would never fly Spirit again, she said that she didn't care. This attitude is unacceptable. Having been in the customer service field for over 20 years, I could not believe this attitude is condoned by the airline, but after reading other reviews here, I see that it is an accepted behavior. I will pay double before I fly on Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2014 by Pete Gau    (USA)

Standard

After paying the bag fees Spirit was no longer the cheapest option from Minneapolis to Vegas. In my opinion I felt like I had been tricked by Spirit. This was my third trip to Vegas in eight months and it will be the last with Spirit if they continue to have a bag fee.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by Tina Weikert    (USA)

Standard

Ft Lauderdale-BWI. Flight delayed 2 hours, cabin was dirty, including bathroom - the sink was clogged and floor had water all over it. When I let flight attendant know she just laughed and waved it off. The captain advised us that drinks would be served and that normally credit card is usually the way that you can purchase but the machine was down, so cash would be accepted. I did not have cash since I spent it on a drink that I thought I could bring onboard due to a medical condition however the gate lady said I had to throw it out. I asked for a glass of water and explained my medical condition, I never received my water. After I purchased the ticket thinking I had a great buy since I'm disabled and live on tight budget then got the shock of the baggage charge. I will go back to flying another airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by P Devoogd    (USA)

Standard

My $200 flight became $345 after all their additional fees per ticket. I didn't know I had to play for carry-on bags that they hit you at check in for. $50 a bag for each member of my family. We booked at different times and one of the confirmation numbers never arrived so I was not able to check in online the night before so I was charged more. When I called customer service and followed their menu and hit the number for what I needed, the menu started over. It took 15 minutes to find a number where I could speak to someone. What kind of airline does not tell you that you have a seat, you can't choose a seat, pay for carry-on (checked bags were less), require you to check in online so you can pay less for your bag (but I can't print boarding pass while on trip with no printer) etc. I just wasted 45 minutes and now spent more money than I would have if I booked on any normal airline. I will never fly on Spirit again regardless of the cost because of the headache it gives me.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by B Kallis    (USA)

Sep 12 2014, Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX - Chicago, IL - O'Hare, return Sep 14 2014. After looking at past reviews, I was concerned that I had made a mistake. I'm pleasantly surprised to have been mistaken. The majority of the complaints I have seen are related to spirits pricing. I was well aware that I was purchasing a "bare fare" and exactly what this meant. For me, it's not worth the additional fare charged by other airlines to have a "complimentary" snack and drink. I don't always require a larger carry-on, so their fee for carry-on bags is no problem for me. I appreciate having the option to decide on a per/trip basis exactly what I wish to pay for. The remainder of the complaints appear to be regarding delays, etc. I don't think these types of issues are unique to Spirit, as I have experienced similar hassles on other airlines, which charge higher fares. My flight out of Dallas was delayed (due to weather) and I received an email notifying me of the delay! No full-price airline has ever done this. This was a nice surprise. They also sent an email to my son, who was picking me up, as I had sent my itinerary to him from their site. Very helpful. The flight back was perfectly on time. The flight was great, staff on both trips were courteous, and as for space it did not feel any more cramped than other airlines. It's true, the seats do not "recline" if that's what you call the meagre movement the other airlines provide. The bottom line for me is Spirit provided me with affordable transportation from point A to point B without the so-called frills. I would definitely consider flying Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Edward Crouch    (USA)

NK660 Sept 6th Kansas City to Chicago, NK659 Sept. 10th. Chicago to Kansas City. I just completed my first round trip on Spirit Airlines and after reading the bad reviews, I have to write about what a totally good experience I had. The counter staff were extremely helpful and courteous to help me understand the nuances that Spirit clearly states on their website. The pilots were professional, the two A320's I flew on appeared to be in good condition and from my perspective were even comfortable.  The flight cabin crews were welcoming and attentive to safety issues. I felt Spirit was good value.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Kenneth Thompson    (USA)

Standard

In the past month I have flown with Spirit Airlines four times, and not by choice. I am a freelance designer and my travel was arranged by the company I was working for. However, I will never choose to travel with Spirit and strongly advise people to look elsewhere for a discounted fare. I understand the idea behind cutting amenities for a cheap ticket, but that does not mean the aircraft has to be completely filthy. Every one of my eight flights were delayed, and twice I was stranded overnight and left to my own devices to find lodging for the night. I have never experienced more deplorable customer service. Every single employee behind the Spirit counter looked and acted as though they would rather be shoving bamboo under their fingernails than helping anyone arrange flights or seating. It was so ludicrous at one point I honestly thought I was on a hidden camera show. This was not just one airport, it was at every airport I have been to.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Kirsten Blaikie    (UK)

Las Vegas to Ft Lauderdale, NK954. Fr Lauderdale to Orlando, NK138 on the red eye on 04/09/2014. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this airline at all! If you follow protocol and actually read the add on prices etc. you will get what you pay for. Budget airline that acts as a flying bus, if you want anything more than this you should pay for a more expensive airline. It gets you to exactly where you need to go. Staff couldn't have been anymore helpful and explained fully to us about the interconnecting flight as I was weary. If you can't handle their operation then use a different airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Gayle Kay    (USA)

Standard

Poor Customer Service, Poor Problem Solving, and Promises Unfulfilled. Spirit Airlines is the worst airline I've flown on. I needed to make last minute arrangements for my mother and I to fly to Los Angeles from O'Hare in June. Spirit Airlines provided transportation to our destination, but it was certainly cut-rate all the way. They charged $50 extra for any bag carried in addition to our purse. They also charged for water and peanuts. The seats were tightly squeezed together as I expected, but I didn't expect them not to recline. The return flight stopped in Dallas. In Dallas we were told about weather problems in Chicago. They kept us on the Dallas tarmac for 3 hours. After 3 hours our flight was cancelled and we waited in line for hours to reschedule. We were told there were no more Spirit flights available for the next 3 days, they were all sold out. The attendants at the Spirit counter promised a full refund for our return flight, which Spirit later would not honor. They did not fully refund the cost of the flight home, nor the baggage fees they charged us. Not only were we left on our own to find a seat on another airline at a much higher fare, they would not help with any basic needs for a frail women in her 80s, like water. Spirit’s offer to assist us find a hotel ended up with them overbooking us in a budget hotel already sold out of rooms. No one (including other passengers) was aware the hotel was sold out until after they arrived at the hotel. No additional help was offered to find a different hotel. No reimbursement was provided for the hotel or food. This was my first and last time flying on this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by D Matson    (USA)

Standard

I traveled round trip from Philadelphia to Myrtle Beach, a trip my son makes at least twice a year on Spirit. We would both highly recommend Spirit Airlines. Their fees were clearly outlined on their website when I was making the reservation and also in the multiple emails I received ahead of time. The service on the plane was excellent and both of my flights were on time if not early. My son's flights have consistently been on time as well. They're definitely bare bones as they advertise but nothing was hidden and their value can't be beat.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by A Muszynski    (USA)

We flew from Detroit to Myrtle Beach the flight there was fine however, the flight home the seats had crumbs and the tray tables had smeared food and were just plain awful. I brought the condition of our seats to the flight attendants attention and she said "if we can we will try to move you" needless to say she never come back to check on us or give us something to clean up with, luckily I had wipes to clean the seats and the tray tables - I was thankful it was only a two hour flight. A very long two hours.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by A Rowell    (USA)

Standard

LAX to San Jose, Costa Rica with a layover in Ft. Lauderdale. The worst experience on all fronts. Checked-in at the counter as I wasn't sure if my bag was one that I would have to pay for. He told me that as long as I put my purse in my carry-on and only had one item, I would be fine. I showed him my bag and he confirmed that I would not be charged for it. However, when boarding in Ft. Lauderdale, I was stopped by one of their employees who asked me if I paid for my bag. I told her no, she asked me if I had used the overhead compartment on my way there and I said, yes. She informed me that if I planned to use an overhead bin then I would need to pay them $100 immediately or I would not be able to bring my bag on my flight. I ended up paying the $100 in order to board my flight and I was made to feel like the whole thing was my fault - it was terrible. On the way back home, my friend and I decided to go online the night before as we were told that if we pay online, we only have to pay $30. When we went to pay, their website told us that we were not eligible to make payments at that time. So we still ended up having to pay $50 at the airport check in. Even if that baggage fiasco hadn't happen, this flight still would have been awful. The seats are the airline equivalent of plastic picnic chairs and you have to pay for water (even if your flight is 5hrs long). Coming home from San Jose, after going through security, my friend decided to fill her plastic water bottle so that she could have a little for the flight. Before boarding, they announced that they were going to re-search our bags and that we would have to dump out all liquids that we were carrying, my friend didn't think that they would actually prevent her from bringing airport water on to the flight but when they checked her bag they told her she either had to dump it or chug it. She chugged it. It is clear that every thing Spirit does is an extra attempt to take more money from you. I understand that they offer affordable flights but it is not worth all of the extra out-of-pocket cash and stress that they cause. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by A Nelson    (USA)

Standard

I am pretty mixed about Spirit Airlines. They don't support Military or Elderly discounts, so me being Military going home on leave, I had to spent a lot of money for four bags. That was horrible, and then they "nickel and dime" you for everything and anything extra. The seats weren't all that pleasant when it came to comfort but they were more spacious than other airlines surprisingly. I did get to my destination on time and I got all my luggage. Overall, I would not recommend this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Ruth Botz    (USA)

Standard

Detroit to Lima with my husband and 3 year old baby, good service, employees were nice. When I returned I did have 2 changes in my itinerary, but was a nice experience. I will use this airline again. No food and beverages, but we took food in our carry-on bag. No Inflight Entertainment but I took my baby's DVD player for keep him busy. We did exactly what they requested and we didn't have to pay any extra money.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by R Sublett    (USA)

Standard

How is this airline in business? Low airfare attracts people who travel with children and there were lots of them on my flight. New Orleans to Ft. Lauderdale, 5 hours late. Concessions at the airport had been closed on our concourse for 4 hours by the time the airplane arrived. The staff would not even give the kids a drink of water unless mom or dad shelled out $3 bucks. There is a difference between being a discount no frills airline and a cheap one. Spirit is just cheap. So if you like flying with people that have five kids they do not control, if you like missing connecting flights or arriving very late, by all means fly Spirit. You will not see me there. And by the way, no matter what, the staff will always tell you the delay is "weather" related.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by M Wyszynska    (USA)

This is by far the worst airline I have ever had the displeasure of flying. When I flew to Boston less than a month earlier with Delta the experience was great, unfortunately this time Spirit airlines has made not want to travel for a long time to come. When I flew with Delta the flight left and arrived at the same airports yet it was 100$ less with Delta. Also a carry on, drinks and snacks were all complimentary with Delta. With Spirit a carry on (not check in, that's more) costs 50$ each way if you pay online and $100 each way if you pay at the gate, a small water bottle costs 3$ and poor quality snacks even more. The worst part was when I checked the flight status before heading to the airport the flight said on time. When I got here I found out that it would be almost 6 hours late. Even now over an hour and a half after the scheduled departure time the Spirit airlines website is still showing that the flight is on time. When Delta left late they apologized and offered complimentary drinks and snacks while we waited, Spirit airline hardly has an attendant at the counter and when he is here he's on the phone making personal calls.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Nefdavid Torres    (USA)

Big

Spirit has no standard operating procedures. I traveled from Houston to Orlando from Sept. 6th to Sept. 10th. I had the típica carry on suitcase that fits on the overhead compartment. Leaving Houston I was able to get on the plane free of charge. When I got to the gate at the Orlando Airport I was notified that I had to pay for the bag. I expressed to the gate supervisor that I was not charge at Houston airport and questioned him as of why I had to pay. He expressed that it was not their fault that Houston was not doing their job properly. He had no empathy towards me and or the couple that had the same situation beside me.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Sussex Paul    (USA)

Standard

Hands down the worst airline I have every flown on - small seats and horrible customer service. Marketing and charges are deceptive and intended to confuse. Never fly with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Raisa Brocco    (USA)

Standard

I traveled from Ft Lauderdale to Detroit and the flight was fine, uncomfortable airplane but for the price what can you do. On the way back to Fort Lauderdale the flight was delayed for 3 hours? I will never flight with Spirit again, even with free tickets!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by A Bonomo    (USA)

Big

Ft. Lauderdale, Sep 4, flight 657 to New Orleans and departed Flight 680, Sep 5 from New Orleans to Ft.Lauderdale. This airline is the worst. I have flown many airlines and have never had such a bad flying experience. The staff were very rude and all the unexpected fees doubled my price. It is no savings with a small carry on at $50 dollars and if I want to sit by my child had to pay $18 dollars for seats together. So my payment went up $136 each way.. not so great the plane smelled fowl and seats are cramped and very uncomfortable. Make sure you book a massage the next day, you will need it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Evans Yolanda    (USA)

Standard

I am normally an American Airlines passenger and vowed to never stray from them. However, when planning my trip to Vegas from Dallas Spirit had the best arrival time and departure time for me. So, I decided to give Spirit a try. I, as well as others, heard a lot of negative things about Spirit, but I like to try things out for myself and give my own opinion of the airline. I must say I did read all there were to read about Spirit so that I wouldn't be caught with unexpected "price" surprises. I must say that even though the flight was tight as far as room I enjoyed the airline. Yes, they do charge for choosing more leg rooms, luggage, and snacks, but overall it was worth the money that I paid. Checking in and checking baggage were no problem. Spirit also sent emails informing me of my flight status. I just might give them a try again for my future trip.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by Raj Banerjee    (USA)

Standard

Not sure how this airline is still around with the abysmal service and ridiculous delays. Flight to Chicago from Boston two days ago delayed by 3 hours. Today the return flight is delayed for three and a half and counting. Not weather delay mind you. Please avoid this airline. Not worth the meagre fare savings.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by Francois East    (Canada)

Standard

Economy flight is economy service, do not expect US Airways first class service for a fraction of the price. Seats are uncomfortable, no entertaining system in the headrest, no free drinks, user payer system, bare fare, smaller size and lighter weight allowance for luggage. There is still an economy. We had the choice driving down to Florida from Quebec with two young kids and two adults for holiday, or flying from Plattsburgh and rent a car. There was only a $200 total difference counting meals and motels plus 6 days of driving back and forth. So we took this. Expect a slow service and read all user rules and conditions and you will be satisfied. For sure if you do not read that the registered item is max 40 pounds and you bring a 45 pounds item you will be charged with no exceptions because its cheaper for the rest. Read what you agree to buy before buying and there will be no or not many complains.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by F G Ross    (USA)

Standard

My wife and I flew Spirit from Las Vegas to Houston Texas in Feb 2014. It was so cramped, it felt like we were in a sardine can. I just read in the news that Spirit is the cheapest on leg room in the entire industry and that on an Airbus 320 they pack 178 passengers into the plane while United only packs in 138 passengers. Spirit charge for everything. We will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by A Ellis    (USA)

Standard

Flight 484, DFW to PHL, 8/28/14. Flight 215, PHL to DFW. 9/2/14. We had a good experience with Spirit Airlines. Some people only see that they "nickel and dime" you, but the truth is they gave a reduced price so that all the other things can be optional. We liked the plane we flew going out to Philadelphia and coming back to Dallas too! It was great and one of the things I liked most was the great customer service from the crew.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by William McCall    (USA)

My wife and I booked a round trip flight from New Orleans to Fort Lauderdale, Florida to take a 20th Anniversary cruise on Carnival. I did take the time to read the information that Spirit publishes on their website so there were no surprises for us. Beginning with our arrival at the New Orleans airport their employees were all most courteous, helpful and this extended throughout both the originating and return flights. Spirit sells you what you want, and does not sell you what you don't want or need. We paid for the equivalent of first class seats as well as checked bags and still came out hundreds of dollars less than the cost of first class service on any other airline. Both flights were smooth and on time. The flight crews did a very good job of getting everyone on board and ready to go on time. We would not hesitate to fly them again. I'm thankful they offer the option of a-la- carte flying.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Mary Grant    (USA)

Big

I checked in the day before and printed the boarding pass, paid for the checked baggage which I have no problem with. The instructions said go to the Fast Bag Check. It was a holiday weekend at LAX, one of the busiest airports in the world. There was no "Fast Bag Check" and only one check in counter open. I was in line more than hour before the flight time with about 4 people in front of me. The line moved slowly until there was one customer in front of me. It then came to a complete halt for about 30 minutes. The customer was paying for baggage with cash and they had no change. The check in person walked aimlessly around to other airlines asking fir change and then just stood at his counter doing nothing. He refused to check in any other customers. When he eventually got change and I got to his counter he asked where are you going and I said Dallas, he laughed and said "too bad, the flight has left". I replied no my flight was in 30 mins to which he laughed and said "check in closes 45 mins before the flight". I said I was in line well before 45 minutes and he had spent 30 minutes waiting for change when he could have helped others. He ignored me and called out to the next person in line. They too were going to Dallas and so was everybody in line. Everybody complained but he refused to do anything. The next flight was 7pm that evening and it would be an extra $267. I paid the $267 reluctantly. He would not check me in and made a snide comment about making sure I wasn't late next time or I wouldn't be allowed on that flight. The 7pm flight was delayed "due to maintenance" until 8, 9 and then eventually 10 pm. While waiting at the airport. I decided to check the flight online. The price if the flight was $92 and I had been charged $87 plus an extra $267. That was it I went straight to the boarding desk. Luckily the agent at the desk was really sympathetic and acted like he wasn't surprised, apologized and without me asking refunded the $267 and upgraded my seat to the most expensive seat for free. The flight attendants were actually very pleasant and helpful but the plane was so cold. The flight attendants were wearing sweaters and thick tights. Several passengers complained about the temperature but nothing was done. I arrived in Dallas at 3am and had to spend another $100 on a taxi because I could not have the person who was picking me up be up until that time in the morning. Never again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by J Finlay    (USA)

Standard

4 hours late from Las Vegas to San Diego. Poor communications, no one at the gate. I was given a 7$ meal voucher 15 minutes before we boarded, and that was only because I asked.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by S Roy    (USA)

Standard

I was a first-time passenger on Spirit Airlines, and unfortunately my experience was not a good one. Before online check-in, I was unable to reach customer service by phone. The FAQ section did not address my concern, so I expected to "talk" to a person there. All one gets when calling the phone # provided is one prompt after another, with no "speak to rep" option. The 4 takeoff and landings for my destination were all 2+ hours late. If you want to get there on time or even slightly later, forget flying with Spirit Airlines. Their routes are ridiculous. My flight from Kansas City to Minneapolis took me to Chicago first, where I had a long layover, which ended up even longer due to bad weather in Chicago. That was understandable, but flight out of Chicago on return flight was delayed without explanation. A flight from KC to Mpls is actually only 1.5 hrs, but it took me all day in airports and in Spirit planes to get there.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by J Prassas    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit out of Philly to Las Vegas during Labor Day Weekend and I have to say this was by far the worst flying experience I've had. There is zero customer service skills among the staff - that and no communication between staff and customers regarding delays. I sat on the runway for a good hour before my friend asks the flight attendant what the delay was about and her response was "the jet is being fuelled", funny because there was absolutely no fuel truck in sight. We come to find out there was a mechanical issue with the plane. Where did they get those seats from. I'm by no means a large girl but those seats made me feel large, I was unbearably uncomfortable. The seats didn't recline, there was absolutely no leg room, and the seats were so close together that I could smell the breath of the person next to me. The temperature in the plane was so cold. If you think you're getting complimentary water think again - Spirit Airline nickles and dimes you for absolutely everything including water. $320 round trip from Philly to Vegas seems like a good deal until you add in the $90 for just a carry on and $3 for water and additional costs for any other drink or snack. If you are looking for a cheap flight you will find it on Spirit Airlines along with a cheap experience and lying staff members.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by A King    (USA)

Just yesterday I had the worst experience I've ever had with any airline We were booked to fly out of Cancun directly to Dallas with Spirit Airlines. They had overbooked the flight by about 7 people and everyone showed up, some people volunteered to give up their seats for the usual compensation package. My partner and I checked in online in the morning prior to the flight. We arrived to the airport and waited at the check in counter as they were getting another couple checked in, printed boarding passes, checked luggage, and sent those passengers on their way to the gate. They however, denied us help, denied offering any customer service or compensation because they said we had arrived too late to print off boarding passes, but they did admit to use that they had knowledge of our online check in. Then, while we were standing at the counter with 4 other passengers, Spirit Airlines proceeded to book flights, and offer hotel and ticket compensation to the other passengers. I will never fly Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Diana Oquendo    (USA)

Standard

Whatever little bit of money you save when you book your flight they are going to get back in outrageous fees. My dad came to visit us from Bogota. The flight here was delayed 2 hours for no apparent reason. No apologies or explanations given. They didn't even offer him a cup of coffee or water! This is an international flight. Water and crackers are pretty standard! He got lost in the airport because their flight attendants fail to tell the passengers where to claim their bags. Since they ended up arriving around 2am half of the airport (ATL) was not in service and there was nobody available to give any information. We dropped him off this morning to go back home and I am hoping things go better after the rough start we had this morning. I have never seen such terrible customer service. These people were rude. Their kiosk to do self check in was very slow to the point I wasn't sure if it was working. A woman from the airline started to come toward me so I thought she was coming to help me. She actually asked me where he was going and snatched his passport out of my hands stood in front of the computer and cancelled where I was trying to do the self check in. Then she told us to get in line. The we went to the very crowded counter only to get yelled at by to more of their employees. Then they proceed to charge him extra for an "overweight" bag. We were never told that their limit was 40lb instead of the standard 50 - his bag was 48lb! They were charging people for carry ons that were very small.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by T Matheny    (USA)

Standard

Flight 600 from Atlanta to Dallas, July 16th, and Flight 877 from Dallas to Atlanta on July 18th. I even question why there is a place to write a review on such an unbelievably classless company. The worst travel experience. The flight was delayed 3 hrs in arriving to our gate. The flight was delayed 1 hr after boarding. The flight was delayed yet again at the destination gate. On the flight, the flight attendants were very crude, and borderline confrontational to paying customers. When I asked for a cup of water, the flight attendant responded, "No way, this is Spirit Air where you don't get anything for free!" I understand the principal of a discount airline is to pass down the savings to the customer, however to do so at the expense of professionalism is certainly not worth the savings. This was my first, and certainly last flight with Spirt Airlines. Take heed and do not fly Spirit airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Toya Rajae Hasia    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines is the most awful business I've ever been forced to use. Not only did they charge me $45 dollars just to check my carry on, they delayed our flight three times, making us 4 hours late getting home. I missed my ride from the airport, missed an important meeting, and spent more money on airport dinner than expected because of these clowns. Then, they refused to compensate on the first delay! Will never use them again. Don't expect any complimentary water, it's $3 a bottle, right along with the $10 charged to print your boarding pass.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Joseph Sapp    (USA)

Standard

I flew with Spirit via round trip from BWI to LAS. Most of the time their website was down or didn't work. When I arrived at BWI, not a single person at the check in desk. Their so called carry on cost $50 at the counter or $100 at the gate. Once on the aircraft, the seats didn't even recline and felt like there was no padding at all! If you requested a seat, oh yes, another charge of at least $18. Now combined seat charge, carry on charge, you can expect to pay up to $236.00 on top of the so called "cheap flight". I will "never " fly on this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by K Mapstone    (USA)

Standard

I decided to fly Spirit in spite of negative publicity regarding baggage and other fee extortion because the times worked the best. I did not have a problem with my baggage because I was diligent about adhering to the size and weight restrictions. Unfortunately, my flights were delayed both ways (one due to flight crew not showing up and the other due to weather). This was the least legroom between seats that I have ever experienced on any flight. Not to mention, I had two people sitting next to me on the first flight who both were way too big for their seats, making it impossible to get up to go to the restroom during the flight. It would make sense for the flight crew to manage these situations because it is unsafe and unreasonably uncomfortable. The flight back was equally miserable. The elderly father and his son sitting next to me were also first time Spirit flyers, and we spent most of the flight discussing how we would never fly Spirit again since they had similar bad experiences. There were two empty rows in front of us, and the son - very tall - sitting next to me asked the flight attendant if he could move into one of them. The flight attendant said he had to wait until the plane was in the air, and then two very rude women were allowed to take seats in those rows about 30 seconds later (before the plane even moved from the gate). The woman who took the row of seats directly in front of us weighed approximately 350 lbs and spent the flight lying across all three seats snoring loudly, while we sat in our sardine accommodations behind her. I knew not to expect frills, but flying Spirit reminded me of an airborne Greyhound bus filled with the people of Walmart. Now that I have experienced it, I know that it's worth it to change my schedule and pay whatever it takes to fly another airline. I realize that Spirit is one of the most profitable US based airlines with more than enough people to market this low-end service to; however, I would strongly encourage my friends to pursue other options for their air travel. Most people I know care about service and would be equally disgusted by the Spirit experience.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Ann Scott    (USA)

Standard

You can only carry a purse or a small backpack not a carry on. A "carry on" is an additional $50. All refreshments are for purchase. To choose your seat is an additional $18. To get a boarding pass from a representative at the counter is an additional $10. I flew to Houston from LA. For my returning flight, 2 of the 4 kiosks were out of service to self check in. I had to wait in the same line as the people that were paying for all of their baggage and get boarding passes trying to avoid the $10 fee. My flight was at 11.25, I got to the kiosk at 10.41 and my pass wouldn't print. I get to the representative and he tells me I've missed my flight that leaves 40 minutes later. I had to check in by 10.40. They had no more flights leaving that day and the next day's flight was oversold. (What airline only has one flight to Los Angeles). They couldn't book me on another flight for 2 days. I had to buy a same-day one-way ticket on another airline or wait 2 days to get home. I will never fly Spirit again. The fair is not cheaper. By the time you're finished purchasing all the things you'll need, a fair ends up as much as, if not more than any of their competitors.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Onukwuru Chima    (USA)

Standard

Booked a flight to Dallas from Philadelphia that was to depart at 12.15pm. Get to the airport and try to check in, I get informed that my flight is now delayed for another 3 hours. It's understandable that things do occur but what upsets me is that, I got NO notification of the delay. It's very unprofessional for the Airline to not inform it's customers of a change such as that.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Anna Edmondson    (USA)

Standard

This was my partner and my first experience flying Spirit Air. Our flight out to Boston was flawless. After about 3 hours of delays in Boston MA where our return trip started, we were told despite the delays that the plane we were on would still be the one we stayed on all the way to Portland OR. We were told this twice in Boston airport by Spirit Airline personnel. In Chicago they asked us to stay on the plane, come through to take our tickets, and announced as we were taxiing onto the runway that the plane wouldn't be continuing on to San Diego after LV. Any passengers continuing on to Portland OR were all set because this plane would be going straight from Las Vegas to Portland OR after a brief stop. In Las Vegas we were asked to disembark while they changed flight crews and cleaned up. We were told to stay right at the gate so we could re-board as quickly as possible. When we got into the terminal, we double checked with the representative at the gate that this was where we would be re-boarding our flight and she barked back at us, rudely and accusingly, "No, this isn't your flight, you missed your flight. This plane is going to LA. Your flight took off hours ago". We were shocked. Ourselves and about 30 other passengers were sent to the next gate where we spent 2 hours trying to get an explanation and resolution. We were lied to by Spirit Airline Representatives multiple times. They offered 10% off two night stay in Las Vegas hotels and a spot on the Monday 4.30pm flight. Or a refund of the portion of our trip from Las Vegas to Portland OR. Most of us needed to get home for work Monday. We asked, both through the company representative at the gate, and through the customer service hotline, that Spirit Airlines rectify the problem they had created. Some of us were desperate enough to ride a bus all the way to Portland. When that was turned down as a solution by Spirit, we asked that at the very least, we be treated the same way overflow passengers are. Meal vouchers, a free round- trip ticket, and free hotel stays. That was also turned down. In the middle of the night, in an empty airport, my partner and I had to find a courtesy phone and book a Sunday morning flight with another airline, charging over $700 to my credit card, just so we could be home in time to go to work on Monday. The entire experience was stressful and the way Spirit Airlines handled the situation was ridiculous. Not I, nor anybody I know, will ever fly Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by S Layton    (USA)

Big

My son had a scheduled flight at 10.30am today. They pull out only to turn around and go back into the terminal for a problem. He has sat in the terminal since 10.30am and no news and they don't update. He is 18 and when he walked over to ticket counter to get an update, he was given a nasty answer and no info. We live 2 hours from the airport and would say spending 500$ to fly to Florida is not exactly cheap and the service is lousy! No news if his plane will ever leave!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by A Emanuel    (USA)

This airline is the worst! As I'm typing this review I'm sitting in an airport waiting on a delayed flight. It was Spirits first flight of the day from PHL to Myrtle Beach and the weather is perfect for a Labor Day weekend, so one would not think a flight would be delayed. The reason for the delay is that the flight staff got in really late last night so in order to stay in compliance with the employment rules they must rest. I completely understand that, but instead of Spirit sending the passengers an email/text because they had advance notice of this delay they just let people show up at the crack of dawn for nothing! Any savings you get from purchasing a Spirit ticket will be offset by extra fees (extra time spent for parking in the garage, seat fees, baggage fees, and tons of indirect fees), lost time (I could've slept in), headaches, and bad customer service. My first and last time flying with this airline. Future passengers you've been warned.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by S Lewis    (USA)

Standard

My husband's incoming flight (on another airline) decided to hold everyone on the plane for 45 minutes because customs was busy. This left him with (and a lot of other people) about 40 minutes before his Spirit flight was scheduled to depart (the last one). They wouldn't let him or anyone else check in! And there were no available flights for 2 days. Spending not just one but two nights in the airport is ridiculous. With fees, etc., it's more a case of buyer beware, but the absolute lack of a single damn given about your passengers is unacceptable. If you knew everyone was going to be stranded for 2 days, why decide it was too close to departure (at more than 30 minutes before) to let anyone check in? Instead, most people got to spend a glorious 3-day, 2-night vacation in the Ft. Lauderdale airport. With you know, no open restaurants, no place to lie down. And customer service? Laughable. Needless to say, we will never be flying Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Beryl Zhao    (USA)

Standard

Was nervous about the airline after reading all the negative reviews, but if you honestly know that you're getting into a discount airline with unbundled pricing - pay for each additional service you receive - it's really not bad. Pre-register and prepay for your bags beforehand. I mean, for its target demographic (apparently) of fun- spirited weekend travelers carrying only a duffel bag or a backpack on them, it's a steal. I will definitely fly if I have to interview in one of their cities they carry. My only complaint was that the flight attendants were goofing off and did not try to give an appearance of professionalism or competency. But that's just my thing -they were nice and helpful people overall.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by N Grimley    (USA)

Standard

I flew Detroit to Minneapolis. Flight on time, arrived early. No problems. This was my first flight on Spirit. I had low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised. Perhaps I was just lucky on this flight. I even checked a bag for $30. Cheaper than carrying one of, $35. So no carry on - I mean no - nothing carried on. I think as long as you know what you are possibly getting yourself in to, and you don't mind delays and no frills, the experience will be ok. That's my take for my first flight anyway. Who knows, my next flight might not go so smoothly.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Sanchez Pablo    (USA)

Standard

August 20th from Bogota Colombia to Orlando Florida, to Dallas/Ft.Worth. The worst airline I have ever flown. We were held on the aircraft for 2 hours before we were finally allowed to depart the plane. We missed our connecting flight and when we tried to work the issue out with the attendants they were absolutely rude. I do not recommend this airline to anyone and will no longer use this airline. There is no cost savings using the company.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Spence Anthony    (USA)

Spirit Airlines should be renamed "Broken Spirit Airlines", because their spirit is broken, and they want to break their passengers spirit too. Our flight from Boston to Atlanta was delayed 4 hours. The return flight was also delayed by around the same time. I flew first class, wasn't given anything extra, no free drink or snack.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by S Hickey    (USA)

They had a 6 hour delay from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale and the flight was to continue to Tampa but they took that flight #615 and made a new flight and left about 14 passengers stranded at 1am at the airport. They also told us the next flight going out was at 10pm that night. They offered us a partial credit of our flight which that leg was worth $69 or we could fly into Orlando. We fly into Orlando with no way to get to Tampa. No Spirit flights from Orlando to Tampa. Cost me another $100 for a rental since I was picking my vehicle up in Orlando and dropping off in Tampa. Customer service is horrendous. I spent 36 hours awake and landed at an airport I never asked to be at and it cost me more money thanks to Spirit. Whatever you think you will save forget it go with someone else otherwise you will regret it, I did. A water and tea cost $5.00.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by P Cosper    (USA)

Their "bare fare" is too bare. Not even water? Really? It is painfully obvious Spirit cares nothing about their customers and only about making money. I selected Spirit because the flight was going to get me in a few hours earlier and I needed to be there for business. Both flights on the way down to Vegas were delayed which caused me to be late to my meetings. After being stuck on the plane for over two hours more than I was supposed to be, I wasn't able to get complimentary water. The return flight was also delayed over an hour (but there was no mention of the delay at the gate and the flight duration was 30 minutes longer than stated). No apologies just snarky attitudes from the attendants. Those in the "budget seats" were crammed in tight and often reminded over the loud speaker that we were in the "budget" seats. When it was time to disembark, the attendant said "get out" over the loud speaker. The mobile app doesn't work properly on an iPhone. I couldn't even check in. I can't say one thing good about the experience.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Marsha Rollins    (USA)

Standard

I have used Spirit several times so far. Each time it gets worst! The tickets are inexpensive but the baggage fees are ridiculous. The seats are very uncomfortable! It was hot on the plane with a lot of babies screaming. The cabin and the laboratory were dirty. It were a very depressing flight. I don't think I will use them again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by E DiPego    (USA)

Standard

Flew to MN for the weekend delayed 3 times on the way there and on the way back twice. On the way home, they kept us on runway for an hour, deboarded us, another hour went by, reboarded us and when we were all on they announced that people with connections to Tampa should get off since they were going to miss connection. 2 minutes later, announced all passengers with connections to CA should get off as well. They also charged me $100 at the gate for a bag that they did not charge me for on the way there.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by M Voshell    (USA)

Standard

They canceled mine and many other passenger's connecting flight from Chicago to New York and I did not receive any explanation until two hours later. They offer you nothing but the chance at a partial refund or a flight two days later. No hotel, no food, no other transportation. The best they could begrudgingly offer was to live in the airport for two days while I wait for the "next available flight". When you sleep on the cots in the airport, they wake you up at 4am sharp and make you clear out. I suspect it's so as few other passengers as possible are aware of the shanty town that needed constructing. I only got 2.5 hours of sleep before getting booted. I was perfectly friendly throughout the entire ordeal and yet every Spirit employee showed overt contempt for the plight brought to Spirit customers by the company's own greed and ineptitude.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by John Snellings    (USA)

Standard

I just came off flight 404 from Atlanta to Dallas. It was the most uncomfortable flight I have ever been on. Not only was there no leg room - the cabin was so cold I was shivering, just miserable. Not worth it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Hugh Davis    (USA)

Standard

Flew from Las Vegas to Denver today. Flight was 2.5 hours late. I asked if they would at least give us a free coke during the flight since we all missed dinner. "Yes", the person scanning our tickets said. But when we were en-route, no freebies. Cokes were still $3, Coffee: $2. I think 1 person onboard ordered something. Everyone was too ticked off to give the airline another cent.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Joseph Hammer    (USA)

Standard

Before flying with Spirit, I actually looked to see what to expect. I mean, if someone hopes to be getting four star service, they should have already erased that idea after looking at the price! My departing flight from DFW to Portland was delayed by about 90 minutes because of weather from an earlier flight. That wasn't the airline's fault, and they were pretty nice about it. I looked up to see what to expect and got what I expected. Their great price is totally worth it because of the amount of money that you save. Yes I believe that this airline should be a 2-star airline, but when you want to get from point A to point B cheap, go Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Donna Cerreta    (USA)

Standard

This was our first experience with Spirit and probably the last. The flight was scheduled for 10.40, my son arrived early to check in and was told it would be delayed as they were awaiting a part? It was then pushed back further because they were awaiting a crew member so needless to say the flight didn't take off until 1.30. The airline has no regard for its passengers and its not worth the cheaper fares.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Raul Pool    (USA)

Standard

Flying home FL to LaGuardia NY (first attempt) was told I would miss my connecting flight in Ft. Lauderdale since the flight coming into Bogota was delayed. They blamed air traffic. When I went home again the next day they made us deplane in Ft Lauderdale, go through customs, wait for our luggage then bring it to our connecting flight. There was no way to make the connecting flight at all with only an hour between flights. If they knew we had to go through all this why do they offer a flight with times like that, we were told we could either get a room at our own expense or sleep at the airport. Be aware of no customer service and be ready to sleep in the airport.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Sheila Etienne    (USA)

Standard

DFW-PHL. No value for money here. Nickel and dimed at every point. This my first and last time on Spirit. You may save an initial $50 but you have to pay to select your seats. I wouldn't pay so my son sat at the other end of the plane. You have to pay for carry on and check in luggage and even any beverages. Never mind that we were delayed both ways. Departing from Philly they couldn't even give us a good reason.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Lynn Harris    (USA)

I booked my husband and his brother on a flight from MSP to Dallas. My husband had a small backpack and a small carry on bag - but with wheels. Both would get through okay on Sun Country and Delta - ones we are used to flying. He had to pay $45 to carry his wheeled one on and $100 on the way back. He said he couldn't believe how many people had to pay the $100 bag fee. We will never fly Spirit again. No beverages or snacks complimentary on board.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Maegan Fortune    (USA)

Standard

I have flown with Spirit several times in the past. Although not always a pleasant experience, this was, by far, the worst. I always check in the day before online and print my ticket. However, this occasion I was only able to check in. The email that Spirit sent with the ticket would not open or print. So I was left to print it at the airport. Unfortunately, a car accident delayed traffic and I was late getting to the airport. I got to the desk 45 minutes before the flight was supposed to take off, but because I didn't have a printed boarding pass, the customer service representative would not check in my luggage. I was told that the next available flight wouldn't be until two days later. No other airlines or nearby airports were checked for vacancy. The customer representative then proceeded to give me the information for my next flight and began talking to the customer behind me, as if I was not standing there. Three other families were in the same situation. I will never be flying with Spirit Airlines again. They certainly live up the their reputation of being the "most complained about airline," and rightly so! They deserve all of their 1/10 stars.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Mary Broderick    (USA)

Standard

My daughter and I traveled from Philadelphia to Dallas. I was aware of Spirit's policy of paying for only the amenities you are going to use, and packed accordingly. Before heading for the airport we checked to make sure our flight was on time, and the website indicated the flight was scheduled to leave at 12.15pm as planned. When we arrived at the extremely crowded gate we discovered that the plane we were supposed to fly on was scheduled to fly to Myrtle Beach before returning to Philadelphia to travel to Dallas. The Myrtle Beach flight which was supposed to leave at 7.30am had not departed because the plane had a flat tyre. Spirit had to send to their Atlantic City Facility for a replacement which was an an hour and 15 minutes away. When the replacement arrived, the crew discovered that they had brought the wrong tyre, so they had to make another 2.5 hour round trip drive to Atlantic. They finally got it right and the 7.30 flight to Myrtle beach finally left at 1.30pm. The plane finally arrived back in Philadelphia and we departed at 5.30pm for our 12.15pm flight: 6 hours late. Instead of arriving at 2.30pm in Dallas we arrived around 8.45pm. When we printed our boarding passes to return to Philly the next day we found that our reservation had been cancelled because we were listed as no shows for the trip from Philly to Dallas. We called Spirit, we were told that we were lying and hadn't been on the flight to Dallas. After spending an hour and a half on the phone the staff member agreed to schedule us for our flight to Philly, but we would have to present the other half of our boarding pass from the previous flight or be charged again for the full amount of the return trip. When we got to the Spirit desk at the airport we found that other customers had also had their return flight mysteriously cancelled. We eventually boarded the flight back to Philly, and arrived on time. I've been flying other airlines for may years and although we have had occasional delays, or lost bags we have never experienced this level of rudeness or incompetence. We were offered a fifty dollar voucher for another Spirit flight for our inconvenience, which we politely refused since we will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by E Murray    (USA)

Standard

Round trip Myrtle Beach to Boston. Flight in was supposed to arrive at 12.30am but we didn't get in until nearly 3am. The staff seemed to have no clue what they were doing, moving children and parents multiple times because of confusion over the emergency row. Flight back was just as frustrating. I booked my flight leaving plenty of time to get to my 10am class, yet my 5am flight was delayed again. I asked a staff member why and in very broken English she replied "plane need rest". I very calmly told her that it didn't leave me enough time and began to talk about how my previous flight was also delayed and she put a hand up and shooed me. Staff were rude. You think you're getting a deal and flying cheaper, but they nickel and dime you so much that you may as well have paid for the luxury of a more 'competent' airline. Never flying Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by R Jackson    (USA)

Standard

ATL to IAH and return was a good experience. On time (even with a rain storm coming into ATL), friendly, comfortable seats, quick luggage service at both airports, and fair priced snacks. Better than other trips on other airlines. I wish bag weight was 50 lbs instead of 40 lbs, but with a heavy personal carry on we made it work.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by S Gray    (USA)

Standard

I'm sitting on the plane waiting for my first Spirit flight to take off. This is by far the worst airline experience I have had and the flight has not even taken off yet! I fly 20-30 times a year - usually on Southwest - and due to timing opted for Spirit for this trip. We first arrive to check-in and we are instructed to use the kiosk to print boarding passes and check our bags. We start using the barely functioning, slow as molasses kiosk and it puts 2 bags on one person. First bag is $45 and second bag is $55. So $100. However there were two people checking in so it would've been more economical for us to charge one bag per person ($45 per bag each person = $90). But the system just decides to charge one person $100. Alright, we'll just get it fixed with the desk lady. Nope, not really! She "can't help". But she can inform us that our carry on bag costs $50 more too. They charge for every bag - carry on and checked, plus surcharges for more than one bag. The bag fees are one thing, but the fact that they don't communicate their fees in advance and clearly is whole other issue. I have never been through a check-in line being yelled at either. Some Spirit employee was taking it upon herself to bark commands at the customers checking in. If there was the option to rate in negative stars I would!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by N Sanchez    (USA)

My flight to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) was delayed over two hours leaving from Puerto Rico because of a controllable human error. My husband ended up missing my connecting flight to Denver. Spirit Airlines failed to provided me with any accommodations other than charging me for an additional two airline tickets. They provided me with a vague customer phone line that leads to nowhere because the voice recorder keeps repeating the same message. Once I was able to get a hold of a representative he acted like he couldn't hear me on the phone. After waiting for more than an hour they told me that they couldn't help me. This airline business practices are not only questionable, but unethical. I have been stuck at Fort Lauderdale airport over 12 hours. We are senior citizens and through the course of ten hours we have seen over 3 families with the same issue.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Praveen Hosdurg Ramdas    (USA)

Standard

I would never travel with Spirit in the future and would not recommend. I booked my tickets from MSP to TMP (via Chicago) on 25 Aug and the flight was delayed. Everyone was asked to board the flight and after a 1 hr delay sitting on the plane, flight attendants told passengers to deboard. After boarding again they asked all passengers traveling to Tampa to deboard again, told we could not be put on another flight until 27th Aug. After waiting almost 45 mins I asked for a refund. Staff were very unpleasant.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by B Devin    (USA)

Standard

I will never fly Spirit again. Not only are their staff disgracefully rude, but they make false claims about how cheap their fares are. They may not make their money on their flight fares, but they make up for it by charging hefty fares for carry on and checked luggage. I recently flew Spirit for an hour long flight. It was the first time I'd flown with them for a while and I was unaware of them charging for a carry on. I had a very small carry on luggage with me, and I thought nothing of it until I walked up to board my flight was told by the attendant, "young lady, step aside." The flight had already been delayed an hour and would cause me to miss my connecting flight. She pointed to another attendant, who was even more rude. She told me my bag would cost $100, a bag that could fit under the seat. There was no option but to pay or miss the flight I'd waited an extra hour on. I will never book another flight with the airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Emeric Bechi    (USA)

Standard

My flight was scheduled to leave Atlanta (5.59pm) to Dallas (7.10pm) and Dallas (7.45pm) to my final destination Detroit (11.22pm). Instead, my flight from Atlanta was delayed by 1hr for no apparent reason. So arriving in Dallas at around 8.00pm, my connecting flight to Detroit had already gone. We (about 15 of us with final destination Detroit) were told to talk to the Spirit concierge at our arrival gate in Dallas in order to get a new ticket issued with final destination Detroit. My new ticket was from Dallas to Kansas to Las Vegas and then to Detroit. Our flight leaving from Dallas to Kansas was delayed again but the concierge told us that we would not have to switch planes because they'd be using the same plane to go to Vegas. I wanted to double check so I asked the flight attendant on board the Dallas to Kansas flight and he told me the same thing and added that actually we would not have to switch planes on the way to our final destination Detroit. I believed him but when we arrived in Las Vegas they told us all to get off the plane and that we were going to use a different plane to Detroit. Our connecting plane to Detroit had already left again because of the delay we incurred in Dallas. It was around 11pm pacific time and the next available flight was schedule for the next day at 8am. This meant we had to spend the night in Vegas which is not necessarily a bad thing but they refused to offer any accommodation whatsoever. I had no choice but to sleep in the airport because this was unplanned! This was my first time flying them and is definitely going to be my last.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by B Terranova    (USA)

Standard

I am so disappointed with Spirit Airlines. Not only was my flight to my destination pushed back an hour, simply because they were running behind schedule, but my flight returning home was as well! This company is in no way efficient or effective. They overcharge for bags and provide nothing complimentary on the flight. Not even one beverage, or even peanuts. Moreover, even though I checked in only about an hour and a half before the flight they neglected to tell me it was running late causing me to rush to my flight only to find out I have to wait another hour. In all honesty, I will never fly with Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by L Falco    (USA)

Standard

Flying home from Bogota Colombia to Laguardia (first attempt) was told I would miss my connecting flight in Ft. Lauderdale since the flight coming into Bogota was delayed. (They blamed air traffic). When I went home again the next day they made us deplane in Ft Lauderdale, go through customs, wait for our luggage then bring it to our connecting flight. There was no way to make the connecting flight at all with only an hour between flights. If they knew we had to go through all this why do they offer a flight with times like that, we were told we could either get a room at our own expense or sleep at the airport.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Sidney Jordan    (USA)

Standard

This is the worst airline to fly on. No leg room for standard seating. You have to pay for everything separately and once your finish the cost is much higher. If I could change my ticket to another airline I would. But I will be leaving Florida on Monday 18th August. The 9 dollar club is a joke. Customer service is the awful. This is one customer Spirit has lost. Be aware. You're paying for bad service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by S Wickware    (USA)

Standard

My sister and I also had to pay $50 for a very small carry on at DFW. We traveled to Las Vegas. We had delays going and coming back, we were charged $100 for our bags! I can't believe the airlines can get away with this! We felt like we were robbed! Something should be done about this unfair practice! Travelers Beware.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Steve Johnson    (USA)

Standard

Horrible airline. Minneapolis to Denver. Aug. 13 to Aug. 17 and return trip. 3 hour delay before leaving and 1.5 hour delay before returning. After a 3 hour delay might expect a free complimentary drink but nothing is free on that airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Robert Bojarski    (USA)

Standard

Book if you like sleeping in airports. This is a review for my daughter and her friend. Flight from Lima arrived late. Missed connection to Baltimore. Waited 12 hours for next flight only to be told it's overbooked and the next flight is in 3 days. This is after they confirmed the seats for my daughter and her friend. But wait that's not all. They flew another airline home to Reagan National. Next day went to get luggage at BWI, surprise, surprise luggage lost.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by W Owen    (USA)

Standard

If you just want to get from point A to B cheaply with 1 bag and don't really care how you get there, as long as it gets you there, Spirit is perfect. If you want luxury, convenience, etc for a few hours hash out the extra $300 dollars for first class Delta. I've flown with Spirit about a dozen times and never had a bad moment. Most of the complaints are from people not paying attention to clearly printed baggage fees or whining that they weren't given a complimentary 25 cents worth of soda on a 4 hour or less flight. Seriously, pay attention, check in at a decent time like you're supposed to, show up to the airport at a decent time, again, like you're supposed to, and buy a soda or snack in the terminal if it's so important to you. You'll be just fine. Yes their baggage fees are a lot, but they're a discount carrier, this is what discount businesses do. Pay attention and you won't get burned. I managed to shove my 21 inch laptop, 4 days worth of fresh clothes, my 10 inch tablet, documents, books, a massive blanket, and more more into my assault pack and shove it under my seat for free. If you feel the need to bring your whole house with you on vacation, fly with someone else, pay a higher base ticket price for somewhat lower baggage fees. The staff are always kind and often very funny. All of my flights departed early or on time and arrived anywhere from 10 to 15, and in one case 40 minutes early. All the aircraft I flew on were very clean and looked brand new. The seats were sorta small and some don't tilt back, but you get what you pay for. I'm 5'11" and still had plenty of leg room and was comfortable. Even on my longest flight from MSP to LAX I was never so uncomfortable that I had to get up and walk around, and I have back and neck problems.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by D Doran    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit on my return flight this past weekend and to say the return trip was a disaster is an understatement. Naturally, most customers choose Spirit because it "appears" to be more economical. However, if you do a true cost comparison with other airlines, there is no real savings. They took me out of line and took my ticket and then proceeded to tell me it would be extra $$ for my carry on with wheels, it was a standard small size . I paid $100 at the gate, like the small wheels makes a big difference, less than 30 lbs, most airlines it is 50 lbs. I was shocked when I noticed the signs at the gate which charged $100 for a standard carry-on, this was simply incredulous! Like thieves, the only thing missing was the gate person using a gun to rob you! Once on board, I did not realize the seats did not recline, very uncomfortable for a flight. You have to purchase standard items, water and soda? Next thing for Spirit will probably charge you to go to the bathroom and only if the army sergeant stewardess would allow it? You have to pay extra for any common courtesies. The stewardess announced over the speaker that only 9 people had to pay extra $$, she made it sound like Spirit was doing us a favor by charging us extra $$$ and allowing us to fly with them. Do not fly Spirit. You do not save any money when you add in the normal courtesies.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by R Smith    (USA)

Did a round trip from Dallas to Portland, Oregon, the weekend of August 9. Decided to upgrade to the front seats, which for my brother and I, it was worth the extra cost of $50 per seat. The front seats do recline. The only hitch on this trip is that upon returning to DFW we could not get our checked luggage for over 1.5 hrs. It was very frustrating. But, if you need a cheap seat and you can pack light and either pay the carry on charge for you luggage or just put everything in a small backpack then Spirit may work for you. We also had to wait once we landed for a gate to open up so we sat on the ground an extra 15 minutes before our plane could get into a gate. I also brought my own snacks, so make sure you do that. I chose to purchase water after passing through security and getting inside the terminal. I took my bottled water in my small backpack along with my snacks onto the airplane and this was not a problem. Other than these problems, it went relatively well. I checked in online and printed my boarding passes online from my home. The Spirit staff and the airport and on both flights were acceptable. Also, Spirit was one of few airlines that offered DFW to PDX non-stop, which for me is important because I don't like multiple flights. Bottom Line. Spirit Airlines is a inexpensive airline with no frills. I really don't think I would book Spirit for a long flight, or for anything out of the USA.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by P Obriot    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines was horrible in the following ways: extremely poor flight trip, extremely poor timing (I waited 6 hours for my flight), staff were very unpleasant with their services and most of all very poor planning.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Del Rosario    (USA)

Standard

Flight 142 on 2 Aug and Flight 145, 9 Aug. All the years that I traveled with so many different airlines I have never had this type of service and other added costs. You want water, a soft drink or anything you have to pay. I made a reservation for a low cost trip from Dominican Republic to Fort Lauderdale, assumed cost of the plane travel was low. Now comes the additional cost of luggage, for any bag under 40 lb you pay $50, anything over that $100, carry-on $50, computer bags and other handbags $50, if its more than 18 inches high. Here is the catch, I was traveling with another person that had a computer bag the same as mine, he was able to go through at no cost.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by Wendell Gray    (USA)

Standard

I've flown Spirit a few times and although it is not my favorite, it has sufficed because the flights are not that expensive. Today however was a completely different story. As we are pulling out of the gate, (20 minutes late) the flight attendant tells us that the belt that carries the bags to the plane has broken so all of our bags couldn't get on the plane, but reassures us they will be flown on another aircraft. Once I arrive at my destination, I see that I and 85% of the people on my flight had no luggage. Once confronting Spirit about the problem, the workers moved very slow and showed no sympathy or care for the problem. They could care less whether I got my bags or not. Most people on my flight had a connecting flight some where else, but had no bags to make that happen. I got no guarantee about when I would receive my luggage so now I sit here with hardly any clothes or a toothbrush and do not know when I will have them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by B Lynch    (USA)

Standard

Absolutely the worst run airline in the world. Cheap fares are good only as far as the airline can deliver good service. This airline has failed on every front. The fare structure is just slightly cheaper than Southwest and much less flexible. In my case to save a few dollars I booked on Spirit to Detroit from Houston. The aircraft was dirty, the employees were unhelpful and the landings weren't that good. Low fare = low service and low quality at Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by J Saul    (USA)

Standard

I made reservations from Detroit to Oakland with a stop-off in Las Vegas without checking online reviews because I had no suspicions and had never been particularly finicky about airlines, as long as the flight got me to my destination. I read the reviews and like many people I came to the airport full of trepidation because of all these negative comments. I printed out my boarding pass and purchased optional seats (the cheapest that I could see online, but maybe next time I'll just waive that and try getting free seat assignments), and arranged my one check-in bag online in advance. Still, I was worried that the flight would be delayed or, worse yet, somehow cancelled for days. Well, the upshot is that everything worked out just fine, and I actually enjoyed it. The check-in was simple, it turned out that my bag weighed 39.9 pounds, just barely saving me from paying an extra $25. I also had a medium-size "personal item" bag, which was free. The seats on my two Spirit flights that day were large enough for me, a 6-foot tall male. The number of seats per row was no more than I've seen on any other airlines going that distance, so I can't understand where all the complaining about cramped seats comes from. The seats on the first flight looked a bit worn, but nonetheless clean and comfortable, so no big deal to me. Both Spirit flights left on time, and arrived even a bit early compared to the reservation times, which was great. There was no food or drinks served, which was just fine with me because I never order anything anyhow, and didn't especially need the generic small cup of coke and bag of peanuts on such journeys. The whole time, the staff were friendly and spoke clearly. I admittedly didn't have any special needs, but to the extent that they were performing their expected duties, I saw nothing amiss. I was also on the lookout for other passengers having problems, and yet saw nothing come up from start to end. The steward on the Vegas-Oakland stretch was like a stand-up comic in his announcements to the audience, which was actually quite amusing. Very memorable. Seriously, I had a perfectly good time, and everything went smoothly. I kept wanting to pinch myself to see if I was dreaming, because I was so impressed at my positive experience compared to the online reviews.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by John Gasper    (USA)

Standard

Spirit is the biggest rip off. They sell you a cheap ticket and then you have to pay for everything else. $50 for the first bag and also for the bag that goes in the overhead compartment too. They charge for your seat. The website is terrible and you cannot find a phone number to call and speak to someone to get help. I just cancelled my $9 club fee and my Spirit Airline card. I recommend everyone to use Southwest Airlines. They allow you 2 free check bags and one carry on. And you don't have to pay for the seat you sit in. I just saved $360 in baggage fees and seat fees compared to Spirit. They also give you snacks and a free non-alcoholic beverage.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by Denise Barbadoro    (USA)

Standard

I am done with this airline. My last few flights with them were delayed hours on end (1 hour and 8 hour delay due to mechanical failure, one 6 hour delay supposedly due to weather though all other flights coming from the area my flight was on time, another 2.5 hour delay for mechanical issues). The managers are rude and the customer service is non-existent. I would not fly with Spirit again if they gave me a ticket. I told them they need to change the name of their airline to Misery because that is what you have to go through time and again.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards