Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Spirit Airlines
1.5 Star Rating: Very Poor

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2015 by A Jones    (USA)

Flew with Spirit from Baltimore to Las Vegas. The flight was fine, plane was clean, we arrived on time. Already had a problem with having to pay for our bags, get to Vegas waited for the bags at the carousel after 15 mins of waiting for the bags to start coming off the entire flight was told that our bags were not put on the plane, they were still in Baltimore. Was told our bags would be delivered to us by noon the next day. So here we are in Vegas with nothing waiting for it to be convenient for spirit to send us our bags. The bags should have been placed on a flight once they realized the mistake they made. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2015 by J Carlton    (USA)

Absolutely terrible. I knew it was budget, but the customer service and queue times are horrendous. Flying IAH to ORD, there's consistently a 30 minute wait to begin deboarding the flight. The planes are outdated and I honestly feel in need of a shower and Laundromat after a 2 hour flight in their terrible seats.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2015 by Shamir Kansakar    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines doesn't seem to care for passengers' convenience and miss every opportunity to make them happy! My weekend trip started with a delayed flight 108 from San Diego to Dallas. However the circumstances were understandable: the plane landed in the international terminal and took time to get re-positioned at the respective gate. Fine! The return flight 107 was an excruciating deal-breaker. Due to a glitch in engine all the passengers were asked to disembark the plane. The repair took 2.5 hours. We were left on our own mercy! When we boarded again, the whole gig took off as if nothing ever happened except for a rambling mentioning of 'a slight delay'. I'm thankful for the crew's decision to take their time to investigate, what was almost hurtful was the lack of accountability! Most of the passengers were hoping for some free drinks - but when the pilot announced "drinks for purchase", there was an audible growl amid the passengers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2015 by T Koonce    (USA)

Standard

We flew from Baltimore to Las Vegas. One flight was straight through and the other one we had to get a connecting flight. Every flight was on time. We had no problems with any staff. There wasn't a lot of leg room and not only did our first group of flight attendants apologize for that fact, but my husband and daughter who are taller than my 5'6" did not complain. It would be better if they provided more of the roomier seats.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2015 by M Fisher    (USA)

They try to hook you in with the "bare fare". Which is code for al a cart. Aka, they charge you for everything. First the flight cost. It seems low. But then you have to pay for a seat, pay for a bag (each way, no round trip baggage). By the time it was all said and done, I came to realize the "cheap flight" with 2 layovers before I would arrive would have been cheaper through Southwest on a direct flight. My flight was delayed, and then delayed again, and then delayed again. I received the information from my email, not from the lady behind the counter at the gate while waiting. During my layover, my next flight said on time. Past the boarding time. Past the flight time. Finally it was cancelled a half hour after it should have taken off. Due to no pilots. Then, we're told to form a line. 4.5 hours into the line. I still have not been helped. Not with a hotel, not with a new flight, nothing was offered to eat or drink and by the time they announced the cancellation, all of the eateries in the airport had closed. None of the employees knew what they were doing, they had no direction. People that were being helped were told to hold while employees disappeared for 30mins, and one employee said she would be right back to finish with a customer and never came back. I will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2015 by R Save    (USA)

Standard

Every week I travel to Chicago from Houston. Good part about flight is it departs on time most of the time. Worst part is when you land. Very rarely you have gate available for the flight that reaches on time. Whoever is scheduling flights for Spirit needs to be fired for not doing their jobs. I can't understand why they have 4 flights coming in at the same time when they have only 2 gates available.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2015 by C Lobb    (USA)

Standard

April 28, flight 832 to Orlando. May 2, flight 713 to Houston. This was the first time I had flown Spirit so I was a little apprehensive. My total experience was very positive! The cost of the flight was amazingly low. The Spirit personnel were friendly and the plane itself was clean and comfortable. The flight itself was smooth and on time.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2015 by M Jenney    (USA)

Standard

April 8 2015, flight 323 and April 13 2015, flight 424. When we booked with Spirit I was terrified for our flight due to all these awful reviews. After flying with them, I feel like a lot of people only write reviews when they get bad service. I know a lot of people actually have had bad experiences, but ours was fine. Yes, you do have to pay for everything, but they do tell you that on the website. I flew to LAX from MSP with my husband and two little girls. Flights were all on time. Everyone was nice. No problems at all. If you're thinking of flying Spirit, don't let all these bad reviews deter you.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 May 2015 by H Anderson    (USA)

Standard

Flying with Spirit is like playing roulette. Sometimes you get a great deal and everything goes relatively smoothly, but sometimes you lose big and end up spending triple when they make you wait 8 hours for a flight that they end up cancelling once it's too late to book anything else. I've flown with them several times before and had a few complications but nothing terrible until this past mother's day weekend (May 10, 2015). I booked a 6 am flight from Minneapolis to Baltimore with a connection in Chicago. I was supposed to arrive in Baltimore at 11.30am Sunday in time for mother's day, but I didn't get home until 2am on Tuesday. I only made it then because I booked a last-minute flight on United. My $130 Spirit ticket ended up costing $480. If you have to be somewhere by a certain date, do not book with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 May 2015 by Tatiana Ortega    (USA)

Standard

We booked with Spirit to fly to Puerto Rico (round trip). We flew out of MCO airport in Orlando and were very disappointed with the flight there and back. First off we had to pay 90$ to check in our bag because it was over 40 pounds. 90$ there and back. $180 alone in luggage costs! Next we get on the plane and the seating space is very small and uncomfortable! Only people that will feel comfortable in those seats are children. My boyfriend is 6 feet 4 inches and his legs were cramped the entire flight. Regardless of being able to purchase "Big Room" seats, every person should be comfortable while flying. It was miserable. Secondly there was an AC problem where the entire flight was 60 degrees. It was freezing. It was impossible to rest during the flight because there was no leg room and it was so cold. Thirdly we have to purchase drinks and snacks. After paying 90 dollars for luggage you think people are going to pay for snacks! On the way back we bought a blanket for the plane not mentioning already spending 90$ for our luggage. We even decided to purchase bigger spaced seats since we were so uncomfortable last night which was 16$ per person. We paid 32$ for more leg room and when we got on the plane it was just as small. We fly all the time and we are never going to fly on Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 May 2015 by Amy Brokaw    (USA)

Standard

We got a package deal to Vegas from Kansas City to get married. The price was right in the beginning. We checked in only to find out the normal sized carry on was too big for this particular airline! We flew with a group, so it was interesting to see the inconsistency of prices. Our bag was $55, another $50, another $45. The plane itself was fine. Smaller seats, less leg room, but the good news is, you can get in the luggage rack if need be for all of the empty space! Both flight to and from our destination were late with no apparent explanation. We did receive an email stating our flight was delayed, however, you get there in a timely manner only to hear horror stories of how people's flights are canceled for no reason, with no refunds, or my favorite, people receiving an email of a delay to find the flight was on time so they missed it resulting in them having to purchase another ticket! No snacks or drink provided. Without a doubt, the worst airline ever! Never again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 May 2015 by D Baldwin    (USA)

Standard

On May 10 2015, flight #365 from New Orleans to DFW was canceled due to inclement weather in North Texas. The customers were definitely not a priority for the airlines. The customer service lines were non existent, was on hold for an hour. When I reached the ticket counter the ticket agents couldn't have cared less about our predicament. The only option given was a refund. No options for hotel or rental car vouchers were offered. We were even told that we would have to pay and extra $90 fee if we wanted to book the next available flight home the next day! Never again Spirit. I'd rather drive.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 May 2015 by Joe Robert    (USA)

Standard

I had booked a ticket from Atlantic City to Chicago. The flight was supposed to leave at 4.49pm. However due to some scheduling issues the flight was rescheduled for 8pm. This was not done in one go but multiple times. It was first changed to 5.24pm then back to 4.49pm, then 5.55, 6.30, 7.24, 7.40, 8pm. This threw our plans. There were three gate changes once we were in the airport. The flight we were supposed to travel came in at 7.02pm and we were all set to travel by 8. In another 15 minutes, just before boarding we were told that the flight will again be delayed because the pilot had not arrived. We waited for another hour outside and half an hour in the plane before the pilot arrived. No proper explanations from the member of the staff. The plane took off at 9.28pm and reached Chicago at 10.45pm. We were 4.5 hours late. This is my second bad experience in a year. Try your best to avoid it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2015 by Robert Ghitea    (USA)

Standard

On April 22 I returned home from ORD to PDX on Spirit Airlines departing at 8.35pm. The flight was uneventful and got me to Portland safely and on time. The airplane was new and I did not buy anything onboard. I only had a backpack, which was free and I did online check-in and boarding pass printing at the hotel to avoid the $10 fee at O'Hare Airport. I have their credit card so I redeemed 5000 miles and paid $13.10 for this one way. I can not complain about the experience, because I know their rules and I come out ahead, without paying any extra fees.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2015 by Sarah Wormann    (USA)

Standard

On May 9, 2015 I attempted to fly Spirit Airlines flight 332 from Atlantic City to Boston. After 6 hours of delays that were not fully explained, the flight was cancelled at 10pm. While I received a full refund, the staff were extremely unhelpful and customer service was seriously lacking. A few examples: Gate agents spoke in a rude, arrogant manner to any passenger who tried to get more information about the flight. We were told the delay was due to the previous night's weather in the Midwest, which did not explain why our 5pm flight from New Jersey was late (and our plane was supposed to be coming from Florida). No food or hotel vouchers were offered, even after the flight was canceled and passengers were stranded until the next available flight 48 hours later. At 9pm, a gate attendant announced that our plane to Boston had landed and we would board soon, and to form a line to board. After 15 minutes without any update (and a gate attendant standing at the desk with her back turned to avoid passenger's questions), I had to ask nearby pilots what was going on. They informed me that the plane had not actually landed but was circling overhead because of fog. 10 minutes later our flight was canceled. I will never fly Spirit again and I hope this review helps other people make the same decision!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2015 by Robert Ghitea    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit Airlines on April 18 from PDX to ORD. I flew them before several times, so I knew the rules of online checking and printing the boarding pass at home, only bring a small backpack to avoid luggage fees and have them select the seats for you in order to avoid paying extra. The plane was new, although the seat space is the smallest in the industry. There is no entertainment, so bring your own. Food and water costs extra, so bring your own. Carry-ons cost extra, so don't bring any. Check in online at home and print your boarding pass and save the $10 it costs to do at the kiosk at the airport. Just bring a backpack like I did and you don't have to pay any luggage fees. We took off early and arrived into Chicago early. Since I have their credit card, I was able to redeem 5000 miles and pay just $13.10 for the one way ticket to Chicago. I can't emphasize enough how you must know what the fees are when you fly this airline. All the complaints come from people who did not do their homework and then have to pay at the airport. Spirit Airlines got me to Chicago safely, at a fantastic price, and for that I can't complain.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 May 2015 by Sandra Dorn    (USA)

Standard

I flew from Minneapolis to Baltimore on April 28th and came back on May 6th. Both flights were on time and the plane was very comfortable. Also, you definitely can't beat the price. I will fly Spirit any time I have to fly again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 May 2015 by J Witthoft    (USA)

Standard

Flight 871 from Minneapolis - Denver, repeatedly delayed hour after hour after hour. 2.55pm flight was finally due to be in Minneapolis at 7.53. Gate agent announced that the plane was finally in the air and on the way to us, to claps and cheers. Said that they would do their best for a quick de-plane, and have us in Denver at 9pm, a mere 5 hours after we were supposed to be there. Ten minutes later, gate agent announces the flight is cancelled. No explanation. Since we were only taking a two day trip, this destroyed the weekend. Then a badly-managed group shuffle to the ticket desk, where five Spirit personnel stood around for ten minutes, presumably to figure out what they were allowed to say and do. Long story short, not much. No vouchers, nothing to recompense us for hours waiting and a ruined trip, no effort to find us other options beyond "there's another flight tomorrow". Just a refund, and the ticketing personnel handled the entire situation poorly (or resignedly). When we told people we were flying Spirit to Denver, we heard two people say "Oh, no. Bad idea. Get ready for a lot of delays." We were sure it would be fine. It wasn't, and the kicker is that it was ineptly handled. I have had some delays in many years of flying, and I understand mechanical issues and weather happen, but they are generally handled in a manner that suggests the company would like my business in the future. Due to the very poor experience I will never book with this airline again and I will be vocal with my results in booking with Spirit today.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 May 2015 by John Danzey    (USA)

Standard

Just got home from the worst trip of my life thanks to the way we were treated and stranded by Spirit Airlines. I am sixty years old and have traveled around the world quite a bit. Have been a Spirit Airlines customer many times. April 19th we flew Spirit from Ft. Lauderdale to San Jose Costa Rica. Return flight was scheduled for Friday 25th. Got to the airport and was told the flight was cancelled due to volcanic ash. No other flights appeared to be cancelled just this one. After waiting in line for an hour we were told our choices were a refund or get re-booked on a flight leaving May 2nd. That's right. May 2nd. Eight days later. The supervisor was very rude and unhelpful. Just wanted to get rid of us. We scrambled around and found a flight the next day on United and paid $477 for a one way flight to Ft. Lauderdale through Houston. Landed in Ft. Lauderdale Saturday night at midnight. We had an extra day of rental car and hotel.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 May 2015 by N Darcy    (USA)

Standard

Had a horrible experience with Spirit for what was to be a 2-hour flight between Minneapolis and Denver. First off, checking in the night before, they reveal that it will cost $90 more to take baggage along carried on, $80 checked in! Up to $60 more for a reserved seat. Plane was to leave at 3 pm, no notice until arriving at the airport that it would leave at 4.30. Around 3.30, learned it might not leave at all or it might leave at 7.30 or 8 pm. We were told to wait because it might be fine, then told plane was in the air and we'd leave at 8. Came back in plenty of time to find out the flight was cancelled! By then, no opportunities to be rebooked on Spirit or any other airline until 24 hours later that was then extended to even later the next evening. No hotel vouchers unless you lived in another state. All passengers agreed they would never fly Spirit again. I've learned this sort of thing happens repeatedly with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 May 2015 by C Stanton    (USA)

Our recent experience with this airline was a nightmare. We arrived at MCO (Orlando) to discover that our flight to Detroit (DTW) had been cancelled. Along with at least 100 other passengers, we stood in line for more than 3 hours waiting for some sort of assistance in booking another flight. There was only 1 clerk working the desk and he was not only overwhelmed but highly inefficient. Passengers from other Spirit flights, who were desperately trying to drop off bags so they would not miss THEIR flights, were finally shifted to another line and the lone clerk at the desk set about helping them-leaving the rest of us to stand and wait yet again. We finally gave up and booked a flight on another airline (which we suspect was what Spirit hoped we'd do so they wouldn't have to deal with the problem) because we had commitments in Detroit that could not be altered. Even after numerous calls and emails to Spirit, we were never offered any assistance or compensation of any kind (not even a meal voucher) for our trouble.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 May 2015 by Fernelys Santana    (USA)

Standard

On May 4th 2015, flight 145 out from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic was delayed for 4 hours. My connection to Orlando was delayed for 2 hours. The airplane came in, we boarded and 30 minutes later we had to get out of the plane because maintenance problems. So we had to take an other airplane that it scheduled to depart at 12.15am. Horrible service! I won't use it again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 May 2015 by Dominic Belzile    (Canada)

Standard

Took a flight last week from Plattsburgh to Fort Lauderdale. The flight was on time and we arrived at the right time. Be sure to read carefully their website about additional fees if you want no surprises. Boarding passes were printed at home so no 10 $ charge at the airport. My seat was pretty uncomfortable and pretty much no room for a 6 foot 2 guy like me but beside of that everything went just fine. Will fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 May 2015 by John Lemon    (USA)

Standard

I flew from Phoenix-Dallas-Fort Lauderdale-Cancun and return. Late arrivals caused a miss on connecting flights in Fort Lauderdale on both outgoing and incoming. On the incoming flight I was stranded in Fort Lauderdale for 24 hours! In both cases Spirit blamed "ground control". In other words, they would take not responsibility for the late flights and therefore would not contribute to hotel, food, wait time, or restitution for lost hotel reservation costs. Speaking with hotel personnel in Fort Lauderdale, I noted that Spirit is well know for this tactic. In fact, the Fort Lauderdale people told me they get 8 or 10 reservations every day because of Spirit. This company does not schedule properly, takes no responsibility for it mismanagement and should be avoided!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 May 2015 by Jacqueline Sit    (Canada)

Standard

I am so disappointed. I booked a flight with Spirit Air to a cruise if Fort Lauderdale. Flight was for 8.20am and was delayed twice before telling us that the flight had been cancelled. By that time, we could not get a flight that would guarantee that I would get there in time for our cruise. It was a celebration of our 25th anniversary to boot.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 May 2015 by H Rieken    (USA)

Standard

I flew last weekend from DFW to Cleveland. On the outbound trip, my flight was delayed about 1.5 hrs, but I did receive emails alerting me to the delay and the gate agent did make several announcement to keep us posted. The pilots did a great job of making up for lost time and got us there in 2 hours. The flight attendants were courteous and service was about what you'd expect from other airlines. Yes, this airline is a-la-carte, so you do pay for what you use, whether it's paying for checked baggage, carry-ons, or even beverages. Since my airfare was cheap, even with buying an assigned seat, I had no problem paying 3 dollars for an apple juice, you are paying for and getting the whole can. Yes, the seats do not recline, but they weren't necessarily uncomfortable, and you don't have to worry about the guy in front of you reclining his seat at all, which is a plus. I'm a shorter than average person, so I had plenty of knee room. In conclusion, if you are thinking about flying Spirit Airlines, be sure and do your homework. If you do your homework and figure out what they charge for certain services, you can plan on what to pay and still probably make out cheaper than other airlines. It's always good to shop around and depending on the circumstances, Spirit can save you money on your flight. They might not always be the cheapest, but in my case, I was able to fly to Cleveland round-trip for $118 including seat assignment. I didn't check a bag; I just had a small duffle bag that qualified to be brought on for free. Again, do your homework with Spirit so you can navigate their fees; I cannot stress that enough. Lastly, would I consider flying them again? My answer is Yes.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 May 2015 by Adarsh Agrawala    (USA)

Standard

Flight 351, 4/23/15. Flight 352, 4/27/15. This is how my entire experience panned out: As a student I needed the best possible deal, after looking up online I had to choose between Frontier and Spirit, and ended up saving some bucks on Spirit. Honestly, with the kind of deal I got, I was expecting bad service (like any other budget airline). But, they surprised me! It is one of the best flying experiences I've had. Starting from check-in (which takes less than 5 mins at the airport with prior online check-in) to the in-flight experience, they deliver exactly what they pitch, you cant expect world class menus and inflight entertainment but it gets you from A to B on time and in comfort.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 May 2015 by Slawik Pech    (USA)

Standard

4/13/2015, flight 660 from MCI-ORD. Thank goodness there is at least one true budget airline operating again in the US! All the usual trappings of the no-frill airlines, but I was quite surprised what huge bags the women at security in front of me smuggled onto the plane as the "free personal item". My leg space was very limited as I am 6'3 with long legs, but I really liked the fact that the passenger in front of me couldn't recline his seat. Leg room was actually better than on Air Berlin's Airbus last month. The plane was brand new (compared to the 20-year old planes I'm used to flying on AA). We arrived in Chicago early, no rude employees anywhere but then again I had no reason to talk to anyone except TSA employees (since everything's done online and there is no beverage service).

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  1 May 2015 by Walter N Shih    (USA)

Standard

April 25, flight 199. April 28, flight 298. First, they charge $35 for luggage online, if you don't do it online then they charge $50 at check in. If you still have gotten to the gate without checking in your luggage they will charge you 100 dollars. Then secondly, upon boarding for Las Vegas on Saturday 25th April they put all passengers on the wrong plane. Thirdly, arrived at the airport for flight home it was delayed 85 minutes. No notice sent via my phone which I had signed up for and given my email. The worst airline I have ever used.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 April 2015 by Daryl Slowinski    (USA)

Standard

April 23, 2015, fight 0605, Detroit MI to Fort Meyers FL. Worst flying experience I have experienced. Seats were very uncomfortable with no leg room whatsoever. My knees were literally pressing into the back of the seat in front of me. Unfortunately, the passenger behind me had the same problem and I could feel their every movement as it translated into my lower back. I was almost embarrassed for the poor flight attendants as they attempted to hawk their wares pushing that little cart charging exorbitant fees costing three times as much for those purchased on the ground. Didn't see many takers. Being charged extra for seat placement was the final straw.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 April 2015 by T Burnham    (USA)

My flight from Chicago to Las Vegas on 4/23 was okay, delayed about a half hour and completely unorganized as far as gate departures for all Spirit flights leaving that evening, but I made it through. Leaving Las Vegas (4/27), absolute nightmare. Five minutes before boarding we are told over the intercom that our flight has been cancelled. Surely they'd be helpful in accommodating. Wrong. To begin there was no explanation of why the flight was cancelled. Come to find out - no crew. The options to book another flight were very slim. By the time I reached the counter (an hour and a half later) the next option was a 5pm standby flight the next day. This was an 8am flight. The staff at the counter were rude. Offered little to no help in regards to finding a new flight, even when asked. At this point I figured I'd cut my losses and take my refund to make accommodations on my own. I must have been lucky on that end. Got my refund ticket.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2015 by Shelley Ploe    (USA)

You could not pay me any amount of money to fly on Spirit Airlines again. They treat their passengers like cattle. They book connecting flights from international destinations (Mex) within one (1) hour of the next flight departing. In that time, they expect you to go through Customs, Immigration, Security and recheck your bag and catch the other flight. We cut every line, got escorts, ran like crazy, etc. No way we could make it. Then they blame the missed connection on 'ground delays' so they can claim its not technically their fault. They won't pay for a shuttle, hotel, food, etc and you are stuck in a different city for another 24 hours until their next flight out. The most awful part? They tell you that your bags made it onto the flight and you now have nothing for the next 24 hrs. We all know that TSA/airline policies strictly forbid bags on a plane without the accompanying passenger. So its all a lie. You show up the next day to fly out and miraculously your bags are still there - so you could have had them overnight. Don't hang around for an apology.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2015 by Michaela Sanchez    (USA)

Standard

Spirit may seem cheaper than other airlines when booking a flight but the cost of bags are high, the flights get delayed more than twice going out and ok returning back, and then their front desk are rude! I've flown twice with Spirit and both times (6 months in between) have been absolutely horrible! I've never had so many delays with any other airline. The delays go from one hour difference to four! My suggestion to you: be well prepared for a delayed flight by scheduling return flights on weekends so that if you need to be to work by Monday or so, you'll make it. One more thing, this airline does not make sure their passengers are comfortable or compensated when constant delays occur.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2015 by J Carter    (USA)

Standard

A group of four of us decided to gamble on Spirit because we were able to find four seats at $77 round trip from KC to Houston. I read all of the reviews, and was prepared for a miserable experience. We packed it all light (small backpack), printed out our boarding passes at home, and were on our way. I found the plane to be quite clean (even though it just landed from Las Vegas on a red-eye). The counter staff and flight attendants were courteous and friendly. Our return was equally pleasant, and the flight crew was even better. Are the seats comfy? Well, they're $77 comfy. I'd gladly fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 April 2015 by C Buckwalter    (USA)

Standard

My red eye to Phoenix from Chicago was scheduled to arrive at 11pm, it arrived at 2am with a 2 hour layover in Dallas. Return flight was supposed to leave at 12.55am, arriving in Chicago at 8.30am. Because the flight was "late all day" we did not leave until 2.45am. I missed my connecting flight and the only other option was another layover in Denver which also included a 4 hour wait. My final arrival time changed from 8.30am to 5.30pm. Additionally they moved me to first class assuming it would make everything ok, instead it just allowed me to listen to their unprofessional, inexperienced, young staff talk trash about customers inflight. Make sure you realize not only do they charge for checking bags which is also limited to 40lb, not like the standard 50lbs, they charge $40 for carryon. Spirit also charges for even water. Also the seats do not recline. Overall absolutely do not fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 April 2015 by C Lorenz    (USA)

Flew from Cleveland, Ohio to Las Vegas April 19. Spirit exceeded my expectations. Big front seats were great and worth the $55 each. We always buy water and snacks at airport anyway so did not purchase on flight. We always check luggage so I am glad the carry-on people get charged too. Maybe that will stop them from trying to get luggage too big in the overhead compartments. Did not require any assistance from Flight Crew. The seats are tight for a four hour flight but a two hour flight would be ok. Plane was clean and newer. On the way home flight was delayed 45 min. Not a big deal. Same experience on flight home. Printed boarding pass at Spirit kioks-no fee. Bring your own entertainment.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2015 by J Friend    (USA)

Standard

My wife and three kids flew from DFW to Tampa 3 weeks ago for spring break and it was great as expected. We have flown Spirit multiple times to Orlando, LAX, New Orleans, Las Vegas and Denver over the past three years and always plan ahead! I get a chuckle at the amount of complaining people do for their own mistake of not reading in advance the rules and charges that they are agreeing to or ignoring. You have to read the website when you are booking and they tell you the costs up front. Spirit hides nothing, people just need to read or call and ask questions. We always each carry a backpack and prepay for two check ons going and coming. I never pay for a seat assignment and they have always kept our family together on the same row!! Buy in advance when you book and you will save. We don't buy too many things onboard the plane and the crews are always very nice. Thank you Spirit for budget travel for us people who know how you work!!! I will continue to fly Spirit as it is only a means from getting from one point to the next. We will be flying them again this July to Vegas. As an air traffic controller I can tell you the pilots are also very professional and great to work with.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2015 by V Pulitzer    (USA)

Standard

Will never fly Spirit again! Horrible flight. Huge delays. No explanation until after 2 hours with no beverages and seatbelt sign on while sitting on the Tarmac in Atlantic City! Rude gate staff. Absolutely not worth the "savings." "Clerical error", according to the pilot, was the reason why we sat in Atlantic City! Really? Then we weren't even offered a free beverage, not even water! I'm done with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2015 by Renata Pulido    (USA)

Standard

O'Hare Chicago, April 14th 2015, flight 729 and return from Tampa FL, April 22nd 2015, flight 728. My first time flying with Spirit and like many consumers I read reviews, being that there were so many negative ones I was quite nervous, I read all the tips and used them, such as pay for my carry on in advance, check in and print boarding pass the day before. My flight boarded and left on time, I was comfortable, the stewardesses were nice, our flight to Tampa Florida arrived 20 minutes early! Going home was pretty much the same, smooth comfortable flight all on time. We paid a great price and I am very happy.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2015 by B Maddex    (USA)

Standard

Extremely uncomfortable. I am 6' tall with very long legs and my husband is 6'3". I felt like I was in a box. I had the middle seat and couldn't move at all. Thank goodness the seats didn't recline because the person in front of me would have been in my lap. My husband and I shared a large suitcase to avoiding having to pay for 2 bags, but we ended up having to pay extra anyway because the bag was overweight. We will not be flying Spirit anymore. It was not a positive experience.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2015 by R Strain    (USA)

Standard

We paid extra for the large seats, so the Seat was very comfortable. Getting to Vegas wasn't a real problem. On our returning flight we received numerous messages that our flight was being delayed. We get to the Airport about 1.5 hours before they say our flight was leaving and it had changed back to our original time. Very rude and told us it was our fault, we should have shown up at the original time. After speaking with an extremely rude supervisor she got us on the plane. On the way home, the two female flight attendants sat and giggled the whole trip, if we needed anything we had to go ask them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2015 by S Schmitz    (USA)

Big

Classic bait and switch. Found cheapest flight on Orbitz, Spirit came up, $246 round trip to LAX. Checked in on line for boarding pass, $111 dollars extra. If you try to bypass the baggage fees and carry on your luggage, $100 at boarding. They lost my luggage on the return flight home, they just called after two days and said they found my bag. They won't wave the $31 baggage fee, wanted me to pick it up, I said they could deliver it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2015 by J Duquette    (USA)

Standard

I was flying from LAX to Vegas on a Thursday with my friend. This was my first time flying Spirit and I was surprised at how cheap the tickets were. Warning sign #1. I own your typical small black roller carry-on bag that I've had for the past 6 years. It is not bulky or large in any way and I've carried-on with all other airlines without trouble. After jamming it into the clearly too-small "Spirit carry-on size required container", the Spirit attendant told me I would have to check-it. This bag was nowhere near full (it was a 2-day trip) but was a tight fit into their container with about 1 inch showing above the top bar. She then attempted to charge me $75 to check my bag! The round-trip ticket itself wasn't even that much! I began discussing with the attendant my options, and instead of helping she was quite rude and adamant about charging the fee and repeatedly asked me how I would like to pay the $75 (cash or card). This was beyond reasonable in my mind. I was basically stuck paying more than my ticket value to check a standard carry-on that had worked for years on every other airline. Other issues: Flight was late arriving and late to take-off, seats were extremely uncomfortable and rigid, no service provided on-board without a fee of some kind. Will NEVER fly this airline again no matter how cheap it is, I was duped and taken advantage of.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2015 by Rick Suitor    (USA)

Standard

I recently flew on Spirit Airlines from Detroit to Houston round-trip. Besides being late both ways, especially on my return trip. There was no communication to passengers as to why we were delayed for nearly two hours, they charged for everything on the flight including water, they charged for a carry on bag, and I had a couple of gate attendants who didn't speak English well. Others were simply rude to my wife.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2015 by R Mullins    (USA)

Big

I made the mistake of buying Spirit Airline tickets for a flight from Tampa to St Thomas USVI on 08/2015. I did so due to the price until I viewed the requirements after the purchase. You are not allowed any luggage other than personal handbag or backpack for travel free of charge. On top of that the items must meet their requirements of size. My husband and I managed to pack 2 backpacks with what we needed for our week on St. John USVI. Dodged the bullet on that! I upgraded our seats after reading the leg room for a charge of $50 Per Person Per Leg for each of our flights. This amounted an additional $400 for our flights economy out the window. When we finally got on the plane in Tampa we flew to Ft Lauderdale to St Thomas on time and a little less money as everything on the flight requires a payment. Our return flight was an entirely different story. The plane was completely full. A crying baby completely ignored by the mother lasted through the entire 2 hour plus flight. It made getting any rest or talking impossible. Our flight from Ft. Lauderdale was delayed for over 6 hours and equipment was changed. Therefore the Premium seats that I had paid for we not located in the same aisle and therefore we had regular tiny cramped seats. I am 5' 9" tall and have long thighs. My legs were cramped for the entire flight and I could not cross my legs as my knees were jammed against the back of the seat in from of me. We arrived in Tampa very tired hurting and angry. We will never fly spirit airlines again no matter what the cost as with all the extra and charges it actually cost us more than a major airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2015 by Sheryl Putney    (USA)

Standard

I, like many, will never fly Spirit again. Flight from Fort Myers, Fla to Key West delayed for 4 hours with no explanation! Weather was fine. Spirit employees left the desk so there was no one available to answer questions. When someone finally did show up, we asked about arranging for other flights. Told we could not because the "flight wasn't cancelled, just delayed" but couldn't tell us when, or if, we would actually get a flight. Ended up missing a good portion of day 1 of vacation. Book another airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2015 by Laurie McMahon    (USA)

Standard

This was my first time flying with Spirit Airlines and it will also be my last. I'm a frequent traveler and always willing to try something new especially when you might save a few dollars. I booked a flight from Chicago to San Diego. My flight was scheduled to leave at 10.44 am today. At 2am I received a notice that my flight was delayed. I continued to receive emails with the delay time changing so I figured I should head to the airport since it was clear there was something going on regarding my flight. I sat at the airport for 8 hours with my flight time still changing throughout the day. The attendants had no information and would not agree to put us on a flight that would connect to San Diego (Las Vegas) without charging us because they said the flight is coming "it's just late" and to be patient. At 5.30pm the flight was cancelled and now there were no other flights available today that would get us to San Diego. In addition the next flight they could get us on is at 3.30pm tomorrow which doesn't get us into San Diego until 7pm. We have now lost 1.5 days of our vacation at a cost of $700. This airline has the worst customer service I have experienced. They had the opportunity to get us out and would not give it to us and then would not move us to another flight on a different airline because they do not have "partner airlines." Families are traveling to see their loved ones and are paying a great deal to take these vacations and entrust the airlines to take responsibility when things go wrong. I will never use this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2015 by Erik Johnson    (USA)

Standard

Flight 199 on April 8 and flight 292 on April 11. I will never fly this airline again! They charge you 50 to 100 extra dollars to take a carry-on, plus all kinds of other fees to fly. Buyer beware! I just wish I could give this airline a negative number. Yes, it's that bad. Fly the other airlines. It will cost you less in the long run. Seats don't even recline!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 April 2015 by G Hung    (USA)

Standard

I decided to try them out because of their low airfare, but only to find out about all these hidden fees! They charge you for just about everything, checked bags, carry-on bags, seat assignments, checking in at the counter, and food and snacks onboard. All these things add up to the airfare, so what's the point of even having the fare being that low? So, if you really want to save money with them, might as well fly empty handed (no bags), go hungryand thirsty, and fly standing up (no assigned seats)! I just flew with them from Los Angeles to Houston on 10/10/14, and getting there was fine, despite all these hidden fees and not getting any drinks or snacks. But on the returning flight to LA on 10/12/14, they kept announcing that the flight was being delayed due to weather. The plane could not land in Houston, so it was diverted to Dallas. The weather was fine! The original departure time out of Houston was 4.46 pm, and because the plane had landed in Dallas, we had to wait for it to arrive in Houston. So, they announced that it would be delayed until 5.26, and then 6.26, and then 6.56, and then 7.53. Finally, after all this waiting, they announced that the flight was cancelled! When they announced the flight cancellation, we all had no choice but to rebook on another flight. After being in the long line to rebook, they said the earliest available flight would not be until two days later! I decided that I had it with Spirit Airlines, and took the refund. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 April 2015 by Lawrence G Hart    (USA)

I was charged an extra $100 at the gate after the ticket desk told me my small bag would be OK. My bag measured 12 inches by 17 inches. After boarding, the seats are so tight I could hardly move. I am an average man (6ft, 185lbs). A small cup of water was $3 and with a tiny bag of peanuts $5. The passengers were repeatedly solicited to purchase their credit card. This airlines should be avoided at all costs and I personally will never fly Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2015 by F John    (USA)

Standard

Checking in on a 5.15 am flight took 40 minutes waiting in line. There was only one check-in person these first 30 minutes with a line about 50 deep. A flight to Myrtle Beach will always have dozens of sets of golf clubs to be checked in. This should be accommodated for. The last 10 minutes of my waiting a second check-in worker became available. On my return flight back to Logan Airport after midnight we passengers had to wait one hour and five minutes on the plane before deboarding. The reason? The (one and only??) person responsible for operating the jet bridge called in sick according to the pilot. No coverage was found. The "supervisor" needed to be awoken from home to come to the airport to operate the jet bridge. The smaller and less comfortable, non reclining seats and little leg room multiplied the bad accommodation. My first and last flights using Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2015 by Dorothy Pasikowski    (USA)

Standard

Terrible experience. Somehow when we booked my family of 4 together, they were placed onto 2 different confirmation codes. We were unable to check the kids in because they are minors. So, we arrive at the Detroit airport 1 hour before check-in. Lines seem not that long, but it became clear that it was not moving. People were cutting the line because they knew they would be denied boarding if they were a minute late. I went over to 2 ladies that were checking in bags and asked for help because we were getting very close to that deadline! They said I had to wait like everyone else. Well, of course we were helped and it was a minute too late and the lady said "Sorry, kids can't board!" I was not happy and started to speak quite loudly about the customer service, it ended up taking one lady 2 seconds to print out their boarding passes! She said good luck if you miss it come back. Never again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2015 by Hiren Parikh    (USA)

Standard

Apr 2, flight 235. Apr 9, flight 218. A rip off airline. They can charge you for everything under the sun. The extra charges are not disclosed at the time you buy the tickets. The service is very average. It is so disappointing to see that this is allowed in a great country like ours. I would never travel Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2015 by Aimee Kauffman    (USA)

Standard

Our family was bumped (we purchased tickets months ago) after we were waiting to board the plane. They had already loaded our luggage and there was no way to get it back. We had to go all the way back to ticket area (with two kids in tow) find how we going get out of Orlando and back to Detroit. We had to talk to 4 different people before we were put on another flight. And they did nothing to make it right. All we got was a lousy "sorry for the inconvenience". Too many extra charges, cramped seating and unhelpful staff.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 April 2015 by Nancy Schaecher    (USA)

Standard

N8986Z, Flight 293, Mar 26, 2015. Flight 360, Mar 31, 2015. Had a great trip because I knew what to expect. I had a backpack, no carry on, printed out my boarding pass before going to the airport. It was only a two hour flight but I ate and drank before I boarded. I am 5'2" so the seats were comfortable. Entertained myself with my iPad. There were a lot of kids but the parents were on top of the situation and kept the kids calm.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2015 by R Anisya    (USA)

Standard

Flew round trip Kansas City - Chicago last week with my family and had good experiences on both flights. Cons: Standard seats don't recline (but it was okay for us since it was only an hour flight each way) and it doesn't look like the plane was cleaned between flights, there were crumbs on the floor and some trash in the seat pockets. Pros: Flights were on time, nice flight attendants (on our way home, after learning that my son wasn't feeling well, one of the flight attendant gave him ginger ale, for free). The low cost (even with paying for checking in our baggage and buying some drinks for the kids, we still saved at least a couple of hundreds).

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2015 by Susan Carolus    (USA)

Standard

I tried it, and I have to say, I fly frequently, and if I had to walk barefoot in the ice and snow, I would do it just so I don't have to ever fly Spirit again. It was ridiculous that we had to pay $631. which included a rental car. Then when we got to the airport they charged us $90 dollars for two bags, and were going to charge us another $10 each for our boarding passes unless we used the kiosks. During the flight from BWI to DFW the seating was horrible, they were the most uncomfortable and narrow seats I've sat in. I am so sorry that the answers have to appear to be answered. One star was not deserved. By the way, on our return flight we were supposed to take from E33, which we did, after it was changed to E32 and back and the changes were not announced until after the plane began to load.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2015 by Jevonah Khakbaz    (USA)

Big

I'm sitting on my plane waiting now 40 minutes for take off to Los Angeles from Las Vegas. The flight is 56 minutes total but I've been waiting 40 minutes because of a delay and I understand that. But why can't I get water while I wait? The attendants on this plane refused me water twice when I asked. I just want to get home already and I'm dehydrated!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2015 by Mary Taylor    (USA)

Big

Horrible service, poor customer service. The stewards and stewardess that were on flight Houston, TX to Los Angeles, California on March 20, 2015 - 3.24pm, were awful. There were too many hidden fees. Will never travel with you again. Too many charges for simple nuts and water.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 April 2015 by W Brown    (USA)

Standard

I am sitting in the boarding area as I write this review. Spirit has succeeded in overbooking a flight to Tampa for the Easter weekend. My family purchased these tickets last August (2014). We had hoped to have a great Spring Break with the kids. Now my family of 4 is being bumped to tomorrow. This is unbelievable and unacceptable. I would never ever fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 April 2015 by V Cover    (USA)

Standard

Cancun-DFW, flight 0748, on 3/29/15, DFW-Denver flight 0719 on 3/29/15. I felt Spirit was OK in general, but they still hide fees. After decades of flying, certain processes seem to be second nature for most travelers and you tend to assume things will be familiar, however, Spirit makes baggage and seat assignments more costly than you would think even if you read all the 'fine print'. While I picked the cheapest option for checked baggage, nowhere did I see that Spirit's weight limit is 40 pounds per bag, or about 20% less than the industry standard of 50 pounds. This resulted in bigtime overweight charges on all of my family's bags. The seat assignment fee was a bigger surprise. You assume that choosing 'better' seats will cost more (up front, more legroom, first class) but Spirit did not let me select seats until we were confirming within 24 hours of our flights, and only then did it became apparent that you have to pay for any seat that you want assigned! So if you want your family of five all together, and not spread around randomly, you need to pay for each and every seat, even if it is the poorest seat on the plane! You have to pay for every leg and pay the rate for whatever seats are left, which might be the most expensive on the plane. So, for the family of 5, on a connecting flight, you could pay $400 or more to just get the privilege of sitting together.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 March 2015 by Lori Kelchner    (USA)

Standard

Booked through a well known agency online for a extended weekend from Phila to Myrtle Beach SC. After reading everything on website about 40 lb weight requirement, minimal size carry on, paying and picking own seats, printing out the boarding passes, we already thought the cheaper flight was not worth the aggravation! Only to drive 1.5 hrs to Phila Airport to find out the flight was cancelled without any notification, no apology, or little assistance on getting another flight, as TSA watched us during the ordeal, I would never recommend this airline to anyone. The lower upfront cost is deceitful when you start adding in the "etxras" seat price, boarding pass price, luggage. Their lack of customer service and compassion on the loss of vacation and money made the whole ordeal worse. I would never fly Spirit Airlines!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 March 2015 by Amelia Van Handel    (USA)

Standard

I will never fly Spirit Airlines again. Their motto is "You only pay for the services you use", but what they actually mean is, "You pay a deceptively low price when you purchase your ticket, and then we charge you for everything that everyone uses in sneaky ways that therefore make your flight more expensive than any other airline." Want to print your boarding pass at the airport? $10.00. Want a water on the plane? $5.00. Want to check a bag on the plane? The cheapest that gets is $30 for the first bag, and $40 for the second bag, but that is only if you can figure out how to sign up online to check bags ahead of time. If you register for checked bags at the airport, it now costs $50 per bag. Oh, and there is no such thing as a carry-on bag for this airline. If it is bigger than a backpack, you have to check it. And if they fail to tell you that your backpack is too big to be considered a "personal item" and make you check the bag at the gate? Now it costs $100. If you call their customer service to help you jump through all of these ridiculously complicated hoops, you will be on hold for 20 minutes, followed by a conversation with a person who refers you to their website, where you have already been trying unsuccessfully to register an account. Then, when you tell them that, they will "lose the connection", even though you are calling them from a land line. Which would be understandable, if it didn't happen twice, from two separate phones. They have gotten their last dollar out of me.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2015 by J Burgess    (Canada)

Standard

The last two times I have travelled with Spirit, I have had my flight cancelled and been left stranded. This last trip was my final one as it was just one upsetting incident after another. The first incident started with me being forced to purchase another return flight home for my wife after her original was cancelled by the airline even though I personally called a customer service representative and was told that would not happen. The last straw was being stranded on Sunday night and told by the pilot that it was against FAA rules to take off because of the runway lighting at MYR and yet, 4 other planes departed behind us. The pilot lied to all of us and inconvenienced all 180 passengers on board. We should have been able to fly home if the pilot actually cared about customer service similar to what you might find with other companies such as WestJet or Delta. Sadly, Spirit does not care about it's customer.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2015 by Charles Wagner    (USA)

Standard

The flight was 3 hours late due to snow in Chicago. I can live with that. What I won't accept is that once we landed we sat waiting for a gate for over an 1.5 hours. Then after a number of excuses the stewardess tells us that we better put our seat belts on or it will be our fault we don't get to the gate first. The 100 bucks I saved flying Spirit wasn't worth the time I lost. I could have almost driven back from Denver to Chicago in the time I spent waiting for the plane, waiting for a gate, and than waiting for my luggage with Spirit. When we finally got to where the gates were we saw plenty of them open. Could it be that Spirit only has 1 or 2 gates at O'Hare? The stewardess kept telling us all the airlines were waiting. I don't care about the other airlines I just cared about the one I was on.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2015 by K O'Neill    (USA)

Standard

CHI to DEN. Stay away from this airline. The seats hurt, no comfort at all. Even a 2 hour flight was hard for me. No matter what seat you end up in, your done for. Aisle seat, everyone will bump in to you, middle seat your not going to move, and the window, don't even think about getting out to go to the bathroom. The service was bad as well, they tried to push their credit card the whole flight. Pay the extra money to fly somewhere else.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2015 by Shirley Cloutier    (USA)

Standard

I have traveled around the world and back, used many airlines in the process. The flight I took on March 9th with 2 other friends was the worst. We all took what would be acceptable as carryon's. Not realizing that the size you consider as a carryon is a lunch box. Arriving at the security gate, the person there told my other 2 travelers that both their bags were not considered carry-on's and had to go to the desk to pay for them. That same lady told me that mine was acceptable to carry on the plane. I waited for them and they were told that if I had purchased the carry-on bag online the fee would have been $30.00. Not doing that, they were charged $45.00. When I arrived at the gate to board, I was stopped and told I had to pay for my bag. After telling them of my experience at the security gate, they were quite rude and didn't care. Now because I didn't pay on-line or at the security gate, I was told the fee was $100. Again insane for a duffle bag that could actually fit under my seat! We not only paid $190 more for luggage going, but we paid online another $90 coming back. We went from Fort Lauderdale to Las Vegas and back for a total of $1003.00 for 3 of us. I could have gone US Airways for under $900. The plane was uncomfortable, very cramped and dirty. They even charge you $2.00 for a cup of coffee, anyone who flies knows how small that cup of coffee is. We did get the water for free after we made a fuss about it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2015 by P Tomi    (USA)

Standard

At first the service was nice because they did not charge extra for our luggage, but then everything went downhill. The flight was first delayed by an hour, and later three hours and then cancelled. We were sent out of the terminal to get our "new" tickets to other airlines, but no one knew what they were doing. We stood for two hours in a line that did not move, and no one could help us. Every other airline would've let us keep the same tickets. Then after two hours we left and booked new flights on the next day, on a different airline of course. No real service, 1.5 stars is too much for this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2015 by Patty Jerde    (USA)

Standard

This airline in not worth the "cheap" tickets. We left over 1.5 hours late, no explanation as to why, we arrived late to our destination, had to sit on the ground for over 20 minutes because there was not a gate to taxi to, absolutely no leg room, and far too cramped. Getting your luggage was a joke. Slow and not very efficient (waited 30 minutes for it to begin being delivered to baggage claim). We will never fly with Spirit Air again nor recommend them to anyone. Food or beverage, forget it, they charge for everything, luggage is only 40 pounds or it will cost you extra. You are only allowed a small carry on or you get charged.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2015 by John Igers    (USA)

Standard

We will never fly Spirit again. We chose Spirit because of schedule. Checking our bags was a blow: $45.00 per bag. We've never paid more than $25. My knees were jammed into the back of the seat in front of me. The attendants came around once in 3.5 hours to "sell" liquid refreshments. Once that trip was made, the attendants huddled together at the front of the plane to talk among themselves with little attention given to the passengers. Even if you have nothing to do, don't hold a party and give the impression you're not attending. What Spirit may have given with the right hand by way of a cheaper fare, it took with the left hand by way of fees for everything. The impression was one of cheapness and being squeezed for every penny. Attendants and pilots (some) ought to be schooled in proper diction and clarity when making PA announcements. Impossible to hear. Flight #325 from Mpls - Phoenix 3/9/15 and Flight 345 3/15/15 Phoenix-Mpls.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2015 by A Ruiz    (USA)

Standard

We (3) flew round trip from Philadelphia to Las Vegas on March 18-21. Although the outbound flight was late, I have no way of knowing where the delay initiated so I can't assume it was Spirit fault. I chose Spirit because it was non stop. Other similar priced flights had one stop. If you book online they make it quite clear why they are cheap and what you can do to save money. They give you packing tips, measurements requirements, and constant reminders: it's bare fare. If you are an informed consumer you know you are getting what you pay for and not a penny more. Flight attendant outbound was incredibly entertaining from the moment the flight started. It was like getting a mini Vegas act. Flight attendants both ways were always professional and polite. Food was pricey but you can bring your own if you're counting pennies. Didn't use the bathrooms. Leg space limited for 6'2" son but ok for us.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2015 by K Milner    (USA)

Standard

I flew with Spirit Airlines this past week for the first time. I was extremely nervous from the reviews. I was traveling with kids and I only was going to Florida for 4 nights. I was prepared and read up on all reviews and read the Spirit website so I had knowledge of everything. There would be no surprises. I realize now that everyone who complained did not read the website. I printed boarding passes at home so I would not be charged at airport. Went straight to gate. I packed light so no bags were checked so no cost. Have a bag with the correct dimensions. Boarded on time and landed early. The food on plane was not that expensive, I looked at menu but didn't buy. Bought stuff for plane already. Its not a super fancy plane my seat reclined. I'm 5'7" and the legroom isn't there really but I had the flight pick my seats on website at no cost and luckily we were still put together. Like they mention on website you get what you pay for. Had a great experience returning also. I will fly with them again if the price is right! IAH to FLL direct!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2015 by Kathi Earles    (USA)

Standard

On 3/20/15, I flew on flight NK 403 from Atlanta, Georgia to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Upon arrival, the flight attendant instructed the passengers that in order to not be detained in the plane, we needed to exit the plane within 4 minutes or risk having to wait upon an 800 passenger plane to unload. The passengers, including an 8 week old newborn, elderly couple, and 2 disabled passengers began to unload and were subsequently detained in the 80 degree jetway for approximately 20 minutes with no communication from the crew while the exit to the terminal was blocked. The jetway was extremely hot, unstable, and overcrowded with passengers while the crew made no attempt to provide an explanation or assistance.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 March 2015 by C Fernandez    (USA)

Standard

Spirit claims to be less expensive then you are hit with hidden fees, one right after another, carry on luggage fee $45 (each way), plus just to select a standard seat online you are charged up to $25 (each way)! The plane is dirty. If you have to call customer service, be prepared to hold for at least 30 min before getting anyone on the phone and don't expect to get an answer. Do expect to get rushed off the phone. There is no inflight entertainment option either.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 March 2015 by M Fritz    (USA)

Standard

We were originally lured to Spirit by their low bare-bones fares. The $25 here and there and $70 annual fee to obtain their low price discount, along with smelly, dirty, uncomfortable planes is no longer tolerable. Our last flight from Phoenix to Chicago was nearly 4.5 hours late on departure. Spirit gave no advance warning of the delay so we essentially had to camp out all night at the airport. The 2/4/15 flight was supposed to depart at 12.55 am, but left at 5.20 am. Spirit kept stringing us along at the airport, trickling out delay after delay. Staff was generally unavailable and discourteous. This is not a value proposition that interests us and we warn others to stay away.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 March 2015 by Villaruel Matt    (USA)

Standard

Had a round trip flight from Kansas City to Las Vegas. I took one small carry on bag, small enough to fit under the seat. The ticket says you have to pay $50 at the counter or $100 at the gate. So I went to the counter and the lady there said I didn't need to pay the $50 since the bag was small enough. Great, I went to the gate and got to Las Vegas no problems. On the return trip with the exact same bag, I went to the automatic Kiosk and checked in. At the gate I was stopped and informed I needed to pay $100 or leave my bag. I explained my story and she said she didn't care what the Kansas City folks said and I could pay the $100 or leave my bag. I understand the charge and would have paid the $50 at the counter but felt I got extorted at the gate. What choice do you have, leave your bag or pay $100?

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by R Miller    (USA)

Standard

I decided to fly Spirit because it was cheap and it had a direct flight to my destination. However, this was something that I greatly regret after loosing 1.5 days of my vacation after my flight was cancelled due to a mechanical issue. They also would not pay for a hotel and multiple people flying on my original flight had a flight 2-3 days after we were supposed to leave. The money saved by the cheaper flight was spent on a hotel and food. You would be better off paying to fly with a more reputable company. In addition I also heard many people complaining about the airline (that were not on my flight) when I had a connection that was required to get me to my destination a day late instead of my original non-stop flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by P Jerde    (USA)

Standard

First we were over 1.5 hours late for take off from the Minneapolis, then had to sit for over 20 minutes on the ground in Fort Lauderdale due to not having a gate because of our late departure. They charge you for every little thing. Not enough leg room, if you bag is a half a pound over 40 pounds, you get charged. All other airlines have a 50 pound limit. Leaving Fort Lauderdale, again late taking off to MSP. Waited forever for our bags at the airport. I would never fly this airline again and would not recommend them to anyone. Low cost, what a joke, especially after you add all the extra charges for everything.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by Lupe Luque    (USA)

Standard

First time flying with Spirit airlines. Last minute flight from Minneapolis/St Paul MN to Los Angeles for a funeral. Availability of times dates was good. Price was half of all other airlines. No problems or delays on initial flight. Staff were genuinely good. No hidden fees as people report. No free food but option to buy or carry on. Seating was comfortable, plane was clean and staff thanked us for cleaning up after ourselves. Remember you chose Spirit because you were flying for half the fair! Small setback on way back, we had a delay but good communication via schedule monitor and staff announcements. Plane staff courteous and even apologized for delay and thanked us for flying and patience for the delay. I would recommend and might fly Spirit again in future.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by Ronald Grein    (USA)

Big

Our return flight from Chicago to Denver, March 1, 2015, Flight 853 was canceled after being delayed 1.5 hours. The sad part was that the pilots for that flight were waiting with us. The younger of the two was talking to scheduling to swap to the flight to Phoenix Arizona that was at a gate but waiting for pilots. They changed to the Phoenix flight and ten minutes after our flight was canceled because it didn't have any pilots. We were told to go back to the ticket counters and rebook our flight because they couldn't do anything at the gate. 1 hour and 15 minutes (11.30pm) later we were told our only flight back was the same flight the next day (24 hours) they would not look to book anyone on another airline, they would only book Spirit flights. We needed to get back to Denver and were forced to rent a car (at a cost of $499.99) and drive for 16 hours straight. The refund for our tickets wasn't 1/2 of the cost of the round trip and was $20 short. Spent 2 hours on the phone with customer service and got nowhere. Remember, it's only a deal if they provide services like all the others. If they don't, you're just getting ripped off.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by David Givans    (USA)

Big

In the last month I've flown Spirit 3 times and another in a week. All from Houston to ATL, KC and Tampa. Yes they do charge $10 to pick your seat and the seats are rather uncomfortable, when you compare pricing you will find that after you have checked 1 bag per person and have paid the random fees most airlines charge you they come out a lot cheaper. I recommend you print your passes before you get to the airport as they charge for every little thing if you need anything. My first flight the flight attendants were excellent, they had a very funny safety presentation. That flight I flew in the base seats and it was rather uncomfortable. After my ATL flight I decided to upgrade to the big seats up front. They were very comfortable and very roomy. They are worth it. My flight to KC was delayed 2 hours. I joined the $9 fare club which paid for itself the first flight as I save an average of $40 per flight on tickets and luggage. I will say that there is merit to some of the bad reviews above but if you want or need to fly cheap Spirit is a quality airline and as I said before I read before I buy and Spirit has an average airline fleet age of 4.5 years which is 10 years less than the more popular airline. They do allow you to move seats next to your party after take off if you don't get seated next to your party. I booked my latest flight to Tampa for 8 people a week ago 2 weeks before travel and for 8 people, 5 in the big chairs and 3 in the small seats it was around $1100.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by F Sipidias    (Canada)

Standard

This was the first time I flew with Spirit. We flew to Fort Lauderdale from Niagara on Feb 25 with no issues. Everything went smoothly. However, on the way back on Mar 3, the flight got cancelled due to bad weather after several delays. We were lucky enough to get another flight 2 days later (due to me running to the ticket counter once the fight was cancelled) but some people couldn't get a flight until Mar 9 and 10. Thankfully, we had a place to stay for another 2 days. When we returned to the airport on Mar 5, everything went really smoothly. Flight was on time and we had an excellent counter service rep who was friendly and pleasant. We were on flight 416 and all the staff were so friendly and welcoming. Additional comments: Leg room was too tight. I'm 5'8" and my knees were right up against the seat in front of me. Headrest didn't have the flaps that turned in, so was very difficult for try and rest if you are in the middle seat. But for the price and for a flight under 3 hrs, it's manageable.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by Carole Lindsey    (USA)

Standard

Seats were uncomfortable and did not recline. Everything is extra, choosing a seat, beverages, carry on luggage not conforming to very strict guidelines, higher charge than other airlines for checked luggage with a 40 lb. weight restriction - 10 lbs. less than others. When you consider all the extra expenses, the price we paid for our trip to Florida was no lower than other airlines. When my son saw our flight itinerary and noted that we needed to fly from Kansas City to Detroit before flying south to Florida, he said I hope you're saving a bunch of money - nope.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by L Weeks    (USA)

Standard

I have flown many different airlines as I always choose the cheapest. I booked this flight on Spirit, my first time, through a third party travel agency. I was first surprised by the $10 fee to get a boarding pass at the counter but I let it go. But then the fees. I was never warned by the site or Spirit site about the carry on bag fees. So I was shocked when I heard an announcement that those in a later zone had 2 minutes to pay $50 for a carry on bag or else they would be charged $100! I kid you not, $100 for a carry-on! I could not believe how I had been tricked! I asked the spirit service counter what they do if someone literally does not have the money - she mentioned it does happen and so they cancel that person's current ticket and give them until the next flight to find the money! Unbelievable! Spirit Airlines has nothing but a spirit of corruption, deceit, and greed. My family and my friends agreed we will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by Odeli Castillo    (USA)

Standard

On a short business trip, I was delayed about 4 times by the airline, with multiple changes of gate, and very minimal notification they were doing this to the passengers. Everyone was very upset, and complaining, however the airline offered no more than an apology and hope that we would continue to fly with them in the future. Now on my way home, all passengers were all deboarded from the plane due to mechanical plane concerns they had before takeoff. Although I agree with "better safe than sorry", this airline should have been pertinent and professional enough to have dealt with this problem prior to boarding. As we all wait to retrieve our original tickets from the one spirit employee calling out 300 names with no microphone, people like myself are at the risk of missing connecting flights. Shame on Spirit for even considering themselves a decent airline. Time is precious. Time = Money, and as cheap as their tickets are, it would have been way worth my money to go with any other airline. I plan to do this from now on.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by Chin Nancy    (USA)

Standard

On Feb 5, my friend and I took a flight from BOS to PBI. I paid $30 online for my checked bag. When I got to the counter, we were informed that our tennis racquets were beyond the height limitations at Spirits and that I would have to pay $55 and have my racquet checked. My friend has to pay extra as well. So I paid $208 one way to fly to PBI. All other airlines that I have flown allow us to carry on our racquets. My friend flew back to BOS on Feb 8. She paid online to check her racquet. When she boarded, two passengers had their racquets on board as carry ons. Needless to day, I did not fly Spirit back to BOS.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by Samuel Fick    (USA)

Standard

About 3 weeks ago I set out on my trip home from LAX-PHI. I had one layover in Vegas, shouldn't have been a big deal due to great traveling weather for this time of year. My layover was supposed to be about 3 hours but ended up being 7 hours due to complications with the airplane. Due to the delay Spirit were nice enough to give out meal vouchers. When I got up to the desk to claim my voucher I noticed it was for 7 bucks, what can you buy in an airport for 7 bucks? Finally once we boarded they came around and asked what our drink orders were, I asked for a cup of water without ice. When they brought me my cup of water they asked for 3 bucks. I told them I didn't want the water. After spending a few days back home it was time for me to fly back to LA. I arrived at the airport at 8.30pm for my flight just to find out it was cancelled. I rescheduled the flight for the next day at the same time and went back home (because I lived within 2 hours of the hotel they couldn't put me up in a hotel). The next day I figured I would check my flight status before heading to the airport and good thing I did because once again my flight was cancelled. I called their service desk and worked with a travel agent who was the only bright spot of my encounter with Spirit. After about 30 minutes of trying to get me back to California he told me there was nothing he could do except refund me for the one way trip. So I took the refund and booked a one way home with Southwest. Do not fly with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by M Collins    (USA)

Standard

We were booked on a flight from Las Vegas to Portland. Our flight was delayed 3 times. After being told that our plane had boarded its last location and was on the way, they cancelled our flight. Cue the mass of 300 people storming the desk. With 6 attendants, one attendant was handling our flight, while the rest took care of their other flights. We waited in line for 3 hours! In the meantime, my husband called their 1-800 number and got nowhere. They told us they could not give us a new flight that wasn't Spirit (the next day at 4pm) and no hotel/taxi/food. So we waited. No announcements about progress, and no more than one attendant for most of the night. When we finally arrived at the desk, the attendant reprimanded us for not getting to the front sooner for an earlier flight-it was our fault that we weren't at the front of the line! I understand that flight cancellations are not the fault of the desk attendants. It was very frustrating that they wouldn't let us know what was going on. We got in line at 7:45 pm and didn't leave the airport until 11.00pm. Rumors were flying about flights and it was confusing. We were exhausted and completely unhappy with the level of service we received. I will never fly Spirit Airlines.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards