Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

Spirit Airlines
1.5 Star Rating: Very Poor
2044 reviews

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Sonia Fiddler-Brown    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines is not the best choice to travel when you are returning or visiting Jamaica or anywhere in particular. The forty pounds restrictions for fifty plus dollars and seating is a crime. The hassle and stress one has to go through, just to be safe with your weights, is not worth your time, neither are you saving one penny. Cheapest airline, should not be associated with Spirit Airlines. Their adds are misleading. Their Customer Service is also sloppy. I corrected my misspelled name before I took my trip only to be told my name was not associated with my account and therefore could not access my account to pay for my baggage before check in time on my return. The fear of having to pay $100.00 per baggage at the counter had me going to the airport hours in advance only to wait until check in time, then to be told, their system was down and could not process my debit card. This process took me over an hour, huffing and puffing to my gate with the extra clothes I had to put on because I was ten pounds overweight. This was my last flight and I will encourage whomever returning to Jamaica to take another airline. I could not take back much because of my experience. Shame on you Spirit Airlines!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by C Woodruff    (USA)

Standard

Let me start by saying that I read at least 25 reviews on this site before we started packing. I read about the extra baggage fees. The surprise baggage fees at the gate. The delays. The date changing unknowingly during the ticket buying process (we had to go back afterwards and fix the changed dates). The rude staff. Not being given free food or beverages on the flight. The small seats. We were traveling (2 adults, 1 child) from Houston to Minnesota for a funeral. We didn't have time to save for this unexpected event, so we flew with a notoriously cheap airline, and didn't pay for checking or carrying on luggage. All bags were well within the size limit stated online for their one personal item. The flights to Minnesota and back both went smooth. We were not hassled about our purses and computer bag. Flights were on time. Arrived home 30 minutes earlier than expected which made the kid happy. We took food and drink onto the plane, so we didn't have to buy anything from the airline. We co- ordinated our seats to make sure that we all had enough leg room. The flight crew were excellent. No inflight entertainment (other than the announcer), but we had plenty of electronics and books to keep us happy. I don't know if it was research or sheer luck, but I was relieved that our experience wasn't one of the awful ones I've read about here.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by G Andresen    (USA)

Standard

We traveled from San Francisco to Las Vegas July 13, coming back July 16. Spirit charged us $50 per carry on baggage each way. The cabin both ways, were not quite clean. I can see almost all others reviews state the same. It's hard to believe they can stay in business. We will never fly with Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Dennis McZeal    (USA)

Standard

This is the worst airline I have flown. My flight was a round trip from LAX to Fort Lauderdale Florida and back. The baggage fee are ridiculous. They are very careful to make sure that your bag is not over sized. I had no problem checking out of LAX, but when I was ready to return home with the same baggage, they said my bag was too big. I spent more than 45 minutes trying to communicate with someone who could barely speak English. I then ask to speak to a supervisor. After waiting another five minutes the supervisor finally came to the phone and would not even offer a discount. Had I known that I was going to be charged for a carry on, I would have rearranged my luggage and put my so called carry-on with my checked in luggage. The employees were great at check in but the customer service department is very poor. I did pay the extra $50 but this airline will never get another penny from this family.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by J Ennis    (USA)

Standard

You get what you pay for. Once all the incidentals are paid for, you'll pay the same as any other airline, but if you don't need all the frills, you don't pay a lot. We saved a few hundred dollars over the other airlines for a direct flight because we carefully planned every detail. The carry-on fee is absurd (we didn't have carry on), but the food/drink extras are in line with other airlines. You can always bring food in, or get drinks from a vendor in the airport for less, but for a flight less than three hours, you don't really need it. The staff were by far the friendliest airline staff I have encountered.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Raquel Garcia    (USA)

Standard

My first time with Spirit. I will start off saying, $50 for a carry on? That's ridiculous. The "free" carry on has to be like a kids size. The normal charge is $47 each if it's under 50lbs. Not sure how other airlines work but that is expensive to me. Anyway, we had been delayed for an hour due to "weather" and while in the sky, we had to take an extra 45min route. That totalled up to 1hr and 45mins extra. Lets talk about the plane now: it was so loud! The seats are uncomfortable. There is no movies or any wifi and you must pay for all snacks. This includes everything (drinks too), they do not take cash, credit/debit only. The staff were nice but the airline is not worth it. You end up spending the same as a "normal" airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by D McZeal    (USA)

This is the worst airline I have flown. My flight was a round trip from LAX to Fort Lauderdale Florida and back. The baggage fees are ridiculous. They are very careful to make sure that your bag is not over sized to the inch degree. I had no problem checking out of LAX, but when I was ready to return home with the same baggage, they said my bag was too big. I spent more than 45 minutes trying to communicate with someone who could barely speak English. I then ask to speak to a supervisor. After waiting another five minutes the supervisor finally came to the phone and would not even offer a discount. Had I known that I was going to be charge for a carry on, I would have rearranged my luggage and put my so called carry-on with my checked-in luggage. The employees were great at check in but the customer service department sucks. I did pay the extra $50.00 but this airline will never get another Penny from this family, along with others who flew with us. The saving is not worth the trouble. Buyer (Flyer) beware!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by G Boisvert    (USA)

Standard

Spirit got me from A to B on time and without incident. In that respect, they did well. I was a little miffed at the carry on policy though, my average sized laptop didn't fit in any bag that met the size for a free personal item, so I ended up borrowing one from a family member to avoid paying the carry on fee. I think the ultimate problem with Spirit is that while they are cheaper than the competition, they still aren't cheap. If everyone got tickets for $10 round-trip, as you sometimes can in Europe, nobody would complain about the fees. But most people are still paying a couple hundred bucks just for the ticket, and it feels like that ought to buy you something besides transportation. Spirit saved me money and ultimately carried out its job, and I can't say I'd never fly them again. But given the hoops you have to jump through, I'd probably want them to save me more money than they did this time before I went back.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Jerry Bru    (USA)

Standard

I knew that this was a no-frills airline, and expected to have a sub-performance level of service, but I bought tickets anyway thinking that saving $50 was worth the try. Like another customer's posting, I thought I could bring at least one bag on board, but in the end I had to pay. So much for saving money on this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Sonia De Leon    (USA)

Standard

This was my first and my last experience with Spirit Airlines. I had scraped and saved for this trip to attend a family wedding a long time and do not have "extra" money to be spending so saving money was a big priority and only reason I flew with Spirit . I was told that Spirit charged extra for everything but that you were allowed to bring 1 carry on for free. When I finally printed my boarding pass after dealing with a very user unfriendly website the was an option for carry on or bag. I wasn't bringing a bag and I thought it referred to an extra carry on, I didn't mark anything and printed the boarding pass. After getting through security and getting to the gate I hear the representative saying several times about only 1 personal item allowed on board so I asked him If I was not allowed to bring my carry on and he said "you have to pay for it", I asked "how much"? I was told $100. They just billed my credit card and gave me another boarding pass. That was not all, not only was that fee outrageous but your beverage fees are excessive as well. Those "deals" don't benefit anyone but the airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by C Houlihan    (USA)

Standard

I had a wonderful experience on Spirit Airlines and have recommended it to several friends. I would much rather pay $3 for an unlimited cup of coffee and an Otis Spunkmeyer Blueberry Muffin handed to me with a smile, than have a bag of peanuts shoved at me as the stewards/stewardesses rush past me in an effort to get them to everyone in the other airlines overcrowded plane.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by G Williams    (USA)

Standard

15 July, flight 457. Waited over 30 min for a gate. Check-in was slow and staff left the counter routinely for other unrelated work activities. Seat broke and headrest would not adjust. Not worth the $50 I saved myself.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Anissa York    (USA)

Standard

Prices matched all other flights after you factor in the price of luggage and choosing your seats, really? I also love how they advertise "big seats for a price", there were 4 "big" seats. Flight delays both ways, with no apparent reason given. One delay was a 4 hour delay! It was already a red eye and a flight going to Ft Lauderdale at 1am was on time, while we had to continue waiting for 1 hour. Departure time is more like boarding time (actually it's earlier). Took almost 1 hour to receive our baggage. Terrible customer service. Leg room was claustrophobic. I do not think the seat space could get any smaller. Seats do not recline. No wifi, no TV's or movies on a 5-6 hour flight. We have to pay for water! Will never be a repeat customer.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Lou Cal    (USA)

Standard

My daughter had to fly back to LaGuardia Airport, she calls me to let me know the flight was delayed 40 minutes, ok delays are to be expected, she finally boards 1 hr later and sits for 2 hrs saying there was a delay by traffic control, 1/2 an hour later they head back to the gate where they have to get off on the runway. When passengers asked when is the next flight they were told to go inside, they don't know. When everyone was back at the gate they were told there will be no flights out, they would have to wait until Wednesday (this was Monday) to fly out again. I had to scrabble at 11.30 pm (flight was to arrive at 9.05 pm) to get her a flight with another airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by R Whitney    (USA)

In my opinion, it is better to fly with an airline that charges you more upfront. At least you know what you are getting up front. The flight was ok but by after paying for luggage I could have flown with another airline. I've never flown with an airline that nickle and dimes you at every turn, charging for non-alcoholic beverages, really? They do not offer any conveniences that one is accustomed to with other airlines. To add insult to injury, when my bags, that I paid $40.00/bag to check, got relocated the agents in the Ft. Lauderdale baggage claim airport office offered little to no help. I'm not suggesting that one forgoes flying with Spirit, but I never will again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Maria Levinson    (USA)

Standard

Book my ticket a month ahead, two hours before departure my flight was canceled due to "weather" in NY. Complete nonsense, other flights flew out just fine and the weather was fine as well. Could not put me on a different flight, I canceled my flight over the phone. The most ridiculous experience ever! P.S. I frequently fly MIA or FLL to LGA or JFK.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by P Buckalow    (USA)

I was on a flight from JFK. The flight at the gate before us was delayed 4 hours because of some mechanical problems with the plane so when our plane arrived that group took our plane which was fine we were assured their plane would be ready for us in no time. The plane wasn't ready for 5 hours and when we finally got on the runway we had to go back because some paperwork was filed incorrectly. That took another 3.5 hours. When we finally made it out again we were told that we had to be in the air in 30 min or the crew would time out and we would have to fly out tomorrow. We didn't make it and the crew was timed out. Spirit didn't even give us a free flight because they then said that the flight was cancelled due to weather and not because the crew timed out.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Pamela Gaylord    (USA)

Big

It is very much a no frills airline but doesn't try to advertise itself as anything different. We paid in advance for our baggage, chose our seats and paid the extra fee for the large seats. The flight was perfect, the seats were comfortable, the staff polite. If I had to come up with any negatives, I would say the fact that there was only one bathroom on the plane so there was a never ending line of people standing in the isle waiting, but that is really a non issue. I definitely would fly spirit again and would recommend it to friends/family. Just make sure you read the instructions about paying in advance and you won't be bogged down with any surprise fees.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by J Bottum    (USA)

Standard

First time flying in 13 years. Flew from ORD to LAS, and then from LAS to SAN. I was randomly assigned a seat in the aisle which worked out great for me being over 6 feet tall, as the legroom was kind of small. Shifting my position helped alleviate any weariness. For as cheap of a price as I got, I kind of figured there would be some things cut to help cost-efficiency. My departing flights left on time, and my returning flight was actually early by about 15-20 minutes. Did not purchase food or drink on board as I brought my own. No issues with boarding or luggage, as I was staying for a week in California, and was able to fit everything into my carry-on. Staff were very friendly. I can appreciate the no-frills type of service offered, since my main concern with going on vacation is the destination, not the extra stuff I don't need on the journey.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by H Valencia    (USA)

Big

Zero customer service. Plane delayed due to weather (DFW to Cancun). Weather got better-all other airlines were taking off and landing. Plane was then canceled, after we boarded, because the plane would not be able to make their flight back to Florida if they took us to Cancun. We were given a standard letter apologizing due to weather which was a lie. The pilot announced the real reason - not being able to return to Florida on time. It was not weather. They were more concerned about future flights in Florida than current flight-all boarded! Our first time and our last.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by B Hines    (USA)

Standard

After looking at reviews it appears most everyone has the same complaint - the baggage fees are as much as the plane ticket. Hard uncomfortable seats. Had to pay almost twice as much baggage fees coming from the Dominican Republic (in addition to paying a government fee to enter the country). To have to pay for water after paying for a ticket and those baggage fees shameful. I don't think we will ever fly Spirit again. We applied for a c card in order to get free miles. We are going to cancel the credit card.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Sara Lay    (USA)

Standard

My son got us tickets on Spirit because he thought it was the up and coming low fare airline. He didn't know what he was getting my into! Obviously he was uninformed, but he is now. First impression: signed in for boarding pass (didn't have to pay $10) and message came up that we had to pay $50 for each carryon, and we each had one so that was $100 that we did not expect on our carefully budgeted trip. I was fortunate to get a cup of water for my medication before we took off. One of our seatmates said she was on a flight where a lady needed medication and they wanted her to pay for water. By the way, water is not a complimentary item. For a budget airline, we are subsidizing their cheap fare policy, so I'll take the airline that at least I can feel comfortable on for an extra $100, which is usually Southwest, and they have lots of complimentary juice, water and soda. They won't lure me with anything.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by J Urgo    (USA)

Big

Atlanta to Atlantic City. 7/12/14. They should rename this airline "Nickel Dime Airline" because that is about all the service is worth and that's all they do, from the moment you book a flight - attempt to extort more and more money out of you. I'm surprised they don't sell passengers packets of toilet paper as you enter their very dirty, smelly on-board rest room. Spirit's excuse is that it's a "budget" airline. But by the time they are finished with all the add-on costs, a ticket that started out at a good (but really not rock-bottom) price usually ends up costing more than one on a non-budget airline - where you'll have bigger seats, cleaner restrooms, and a less confounding experience all around.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Elizabeth Bensend    (USA)

Standard

Never again! Our flight from LAX to Dallas Fort Worth was 2 hours late. When we boarded the plane the attendant that you usually see greeting you was busy on their phone. The attendant before take off checked the overhead compartment while sighing as if she didn't want to be there. The attendants were overall unpleasant. When we left Dallas Fort Worth to LAX we received the same greeting. The flight was an early morning 6.20 departure and I realize everyone is very tired in the morning and that perhaps the passengers have the right to sleep during the fight but I certainly don't think that the flight attendant should be sleeping in their seat at the back of the plane. My luggage is in Las Vegas and I am 4 hours North of LAX. The seats on the plane so small need not recline back. So uncomfortable! When I booked this flight I was excited that I had found airfare for family of 4 at such a low price, now I know why! I think what bothers me the most is that the attendants weren't very attentive and we're too busy with their social media to be bothered by the passengers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by C Duval    (France)

Standard

Flight 719 on Wednesday May 28th. I tried to fly on Spirit between Denver and Las Vegas, but the flight was canceled because of the absence of the crew. We spent one hour inside the aircraft itself waiting for them and finally, we had to spend the night at Denver airport after 5 hours waiting at the front desk to get a solution for the next day (with another company hopefully). The quality of the service was very poor. In addition, I was flying with a 7-month baby.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by K Riedl    (USA)

Standard

The total cost after paying all the fees was comparable to other airlines, so no real big saving with Spirit. Never flew Spirit and thought I'd give it a try. My flight to Oregon didn't happen because of mechanical failure (so cannot comment on in-flight experience), instead they would fly me from Pennsylvania, to Texas tonight (Friday), then to New Jersey overnight, and then depart for Vegas early Saturday morning. I would have 1.5 days in Vegas before getting on a flight to Oregon early Sunday evening. All of this "at no additional charge" said the clerk. They did not offer a hotel room in Vegas at no additional charge. My experiment blew up before getting off the ground, their business model has a lot of room for improvement, and I will not be booking with Spirit ever again. My weekend with my children was ruined.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Ronda Skube    (USA)

Standard

My husband and myself flew Spirit Airlines round-trip DFW to BWI in mid April. The first leg of the trip was fine, the return trip out of BWI was delayed by 4+ hours, as others have said it would have been nice to have a "free" soda onboard. They did give us a free $50 coupon for future travel, but it had to be used in 30 days, not a good deal. My daughter had the same trip in May, same problem, delayed out of BWI for hours! No free, I'm sorry for the delay offer of anything. My son and family (with 14 month old) had the same trip out of BWI and was delayed 7+ hours.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Pooja Kanani    (USA)

Standard

I was travelling from Houston to Vegas. I was allowed a carry on item inside the aircraft and was not informed that the carry on item was out of specification. With the same mindset, I was boarding my flight from Vegas and I was asked to pay $100 for the same bag which was within specification at Houston. I was not surprised as much by their inconsistent policy abiding attitude as much as I was by their rude staff. It was like they were trained to be rude. Luckily, I had a big paper bag where I could easily transfer my items and that's how a dodged the $100 extortion amount. I was definitely not ready to pay $100 for a bag that costs $40. I for one, will never fly this airline again. Their "cheap flights" are nothing but more expense in disguise.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by N Hubbard    (USA)

Big

I flew Spirit Airline on July 8 2014, Minneapolis to LAX. All staff including front desk, check-in and pilots were courteous and friendly. Plane was clean and the only challenge is people coming to board that did not read information about luggage size and one free carry on size despite this being posted all over Spirit Airline web site, people came with oversized luggage and were charged accordingly. Just know ahead you take your own food and drinks on board which many airlines do charge also and read expectations of seating. So worth the saved money of flying by flying this airline yes it's a no frills yet it is an Airline that does care about safety and cost effectiveness.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Joy Milwee    (USA)

Standard

This is one of the worst airlines that is flying in the USA, flight 912 from Orlando was delayed twice, customer service was called to find out the problem and was told that they had to do a lightning strike inspection. I can understand the safety aspect of this but to not offer any compensation to passengers that had been told to be at the gate one hour before the original schedule is very unreal. Will not recommend that anyone fly this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by L Moniz    (USA)

Standard

My boyfriend and I went to Fort Lauderdale last week from Boston. You think you are getting a great deal but once you get there they whack you with every luggage fee they possibly can. Don't think it's like every other airline and it's a 50lb max for checked luggage. No it's 40 and they will charge you for every pound over! They charge you for every soda/water and food that you get. To top it all off everything we saw said credit/debit only for food and drink. After a long wait we finally ordered two waters and were unable to buy them because the lady said it was cash only because the credit card machine was down. Fast forwarding to our flight home. We got to the airport 2.5 hours early. Sat in a Spirit check in line that was at least 100 people long with only one line open for check in and security. I honestly do not know if it was the airport or just spirit but needless to say we showed up to the gate at 9.22 when our flight was scheduled for 9.26 and the door was shut. They were so unhelpful in the situation I was shocked! When we asked when the next flight was it was not until 8.30 that night! We bought another flight for Delta.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Pauline Owens    (USA)

Standard

Flew to Vegas from Portland over Spring Break in April 2014. It's a bare bones operation for sure. Staff were fun and plane was clean. Baby cried all the way there, two little kids behind us screamed and fought the whole two hours, no one's fault but didn't make for a very pleasant trip down. No issues coming back, their baggage is very high, Southwest Airlines is a better buy for the money if you add in the $50 charge for 1 bag.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by J Hedger    (USA)

Standard

Terrible. One word to sum up Spirit airlines. The baggage fees are outrageous and the online baggage check never works so you have to pay at the airport. My wife waited in line because the online check in didn't work, missed her flight and was told to return the next day at 11. The never said 11pm. So she arrived at the airport and got all the way through security before anyone noticed her flight wasn't schedule for another 12 hours. This airline has the worst service, worst pricing, worst fees, smallest seats, and the worst most unprofessional website I have ever seen. I wouldn't fly on this airline if it were free.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by Dennis Serrao    (USA)

Standard

We flew from OAK to Las Vegas, 6/27/14. I was fully aware of their add on fees for everything so I won't be complaining about that. I have never flown Spirit so thought we would save some money but also worried that it was some type of chicken coup carrying fly by night airline and unfortunately it is. Not to mention I had 2 other couples with me and recommended Spirit to them. Now I understand there can be mechanical issues with planes but how it was handled was just horrible! Flight to leave at 2.10pm, pilot comes on "Ladies & Gentleman we need our mechanic to sign off on a repair should be 5-10 minutes". "Ladies & Gentlemen we can't find the mechanic and need to deplane should be 45 minutes". 2 hours later "we still can't find the mechanic", then - "we found the mechanic and he will be here in an hour". It's now about 4pm. "The mechanic is here and working on it", "the plane is fixed", "the plane is not fixed", now it's 6pm and they say "the plane is fixed and we will be boarding soon". Happy Roars from the crowd at Gate 5. 8 pm "we are sorry to say the plane is fixed but the pilots have timed out and we have no other pilots". No ground crew, no extra pilots just insane. Comedy of errors, lies/misinformation, no management, no help getting new flights on other airlines and on and on. We rushed to get our bags and I literally had to go behind the counter to help and grab my bags and run to a real airline and overpay for two one way tickets to Vegas. The absolute worst customer service. They only offered a lousy $50 voucher for our next flight which I am sure they know will never be used.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Jennifer Montano    (USA)

Standard

DFW to Boston on Sunday, June 29. Flight 254. Will never fly this airline again! As mentioned previously, they charge you for everything. You are not getting a good deal with this airline, the prices are very deceiving! I was shocked when the airline was going to charge me $25 at check in because my luggage was 45 lbs. I told them that I am under the max capacity. Well, at Spirit, 40lbs is their max for weight. What can a person pack for under 40lbs? In addition, the plane was dirty. The leather on the seats was fading, which gave the aircraft a dirty feel. I'm so used to flying Southwest and will continue with Southwest.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by C Cheek    (USA)

Standard

This is my first and will be my only experience with Spirit Airlines. I flew from Houston IAH to Orlando, and when I arrived at the ticketing counter in Houston, after I stood in line for 10 minutes told me that if the agent had to print off my ticket it would be $15, but that I could do it for free at the ticket kiosk. After I left line, waited for a kiosk, printed my ticket, returned to line, I was stunned to discover that Spirit Airlines charges a $45 fee for checked luggage, and $50 for carry-on luggage. After paying this egregious amount, they told me that my bag was 5 pounds overweight. When I finally reached the gate, boarded the plane, and began pulling away from the gate they informed us that there were problems with the plane's navigational system and we would have to return to the gate, but it would only take a few minutes to correct. Long story short, after the navigational system was fixed, the plane's toilet malfunctioned. 2.5 hours later we were still at the gate. To soothe irate passengers, they began passing out cookies. But they only had enough for less than half of the passengers. If you were in the 1/3 section of the rear of the plane, where I was, you didn't get a cookie. No complementary drinks either. They finally told us that we would have to deplane, and return to the terminal. We didn't leave Houston until 3 hours after the scheduled departure time. The seats don't recline. Learn from my mistake, don't fly Spirit Airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Rodney Harrison    (USA)

Standard

2 weeks ago I flew from Houston, TX to Detroit MI. Upon checking in at the front gate I was informed that even though I was active duty military personnel I still had to pay for my baggage. I have been serving our country for 6 years and I never had to pay for my baggage, however I was informed Spirit Airlines is the only airliner that does not honor the military incentive. After I paid $200 for my baggage I proceeded to my flight which was 45 mins late with no valid explanation. When I arrived in Detroit I waited 1 hr to receive my bags from the baggage claim. On my return flight once again I had to pay for my baggage,but I was forced to leave some things behind and return with 1 bag due to the baggage fees and the flight was late again. I usually don't write reviews but I was very dissatisfied with the service and the way Spirit Airlines conducts operations. I do not believe that I will ever use this airliner again or recommend their service to anyone.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Glenn Maertens    (USA)

Standard

Worst airline we have ever flown on. You think you are getting a fairly cheap flight which was only an hour flight from Vegas to San Diego. We had one check in bag and two carry on bags cost us $300. We were told to get on line and check our luggage 24 hours before our flight, when we went to do so, there was no way we could get on to do this. You had to create an account and enter a password which we did not have so you have to request one and was never sent to us, so no way to contact. So we start trying to call the airline, absolutely no way to get through. This airline is not only a rip off, but the staff is rude and after paying a total of $550 dollars for an hour flight have to pay for a water!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by R Smith    (USA)

Standard

We traveled from Baltimore to Ft.Lauderdale. To start off the flight was delayed once everyone was aboard, because of a mechanical issue. After sitting for an hour or so we take off. You would think they would have offered at least a free beverage for the delay, but no. They charge you for every little thing. The seats don't recline, the person behind me had their knees in my back, I didn't get too upset because they didn't know and the seats are so close together they probably could not help it. In addition, the industry standard of classifying a 50 pound bag as oversized is not the same with Spirit, their limit is 40 lbs and anything over that you start paying big money. Oh and don't forget to print out your boarding pass PRIOR to arriving at the airport or you will pay $10 for each one. I will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by S Manson    (USA)

Standard

Flew Spirit for first and last time. Sat on Tarmac at LGA for 1.5 hours, therefore missed connection arriving in Detroit approximately 8.30pm. At Detroit gate agent told three angry passengers we should not have been on flight. Gate agent further informed us earliest flight for us was next day at 3pm arriving at destination 9pm - 24 hours after scheduled arrival. Was further told that they would not provide hotel, food or ticket for another airline with more convenient flights. When questioned that other airlines do such routinely was told "We are not other airlines". Unless you enjoy cramped seats and lousy customer service and are on a very tight budget do not fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by J Burger    (USA)

Standard

Do not fly this airline. My outgoing flight was delayed twice. Then on my returning flight no one would help me put my bag in the over head storage, I have 3rd degree burns on my body and cannot lift heavy items. Once we landed I forgot something on the plane and it took an hour for them to get it to me. Very poor customer service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by John Marcus    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airline does not properly inform passengers of flight status changes or cancellations and costs more than equivalent flights on either United or American Airlines. When approached, representatives appear flustered and uninformed about flight status, refunds, etc. Do yourself a favor, book your flight on another carrier and save the headache, increased cost and loss of funds. In early May, my wife and I decided to take our eldest son and book a flight to visit family in Houston, Texas. At first glance, it appeared $50 cheaper per ticket to book our flight with Spirit Airlines. I had heard, by word of mouth, there were extra charges for checked in baggage. Where other airlines were charging $50/bag or so, Spirit charged $100. Since we only had carry-on baggage, we figured we'd save the $150 on our tickets. On June 18, 2014, we checked online with Spirit Airlines and learned our 7pm flight was delayed several times and the Spirit Representatives could only tell us about the delays 30 to 60 minutes after the scheduled departure time. This was totally useless. At 4am we were getting ready to board our plane to Houston, when we got the announcement that our flight was cancelled. No information or help was given. We were told to go to the main counter outside of security to see if they could help us. The line was 3 hours long, but fortunately my ticket agent, Cheaptickets.com helped on the phone. I was one of the fortunate individuals. I realized I was short-sided in my thought to save $150. Spirit Airlines is not a good alternative. Do not believe their marketing hype about getting the same flight for less.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by Karen Stevens    (USA)

March 12, 2014, flight 310 from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale. Awful. My red eye was delayed 2 hours, and I ended up losing my rental car reservation, so I had to pay double. The cabin smelt like exhaust fumes the whole time before take off, the plane must have been really old. When we landed, for some reason the plane took off again. The pilot did not have the courtesy to give us an explanation. We thought there was some mechanical problem, and couldn't land. The worst flight I've been on.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by T Tytam    (USA)

Standard

Absolutely the worst flying experience! I departed Atlanta with two bags, my purse and a small carry on that fit within the required personal bag space. The representative said my bag was ok, when departing DFW I was denied boarding unless I paid $100 dollars for my luggage. I explained to the gate personnel that I wasn't charged before and was told I could fly with the bag. I will not recommend anyone to fly this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by S John    (USA)

Big

I recently flew from Chicago to Minneapolis. I paid for the base fare which includes one personal item. Since I was staying for 4 days with friends I didn't need a large suitcase or carry on bag I was able to fit everything into a bag which meets the free bag policy and fits on the floor under the seat. The money I saved was enough to purchase one of the large seats in the front and I was quite comfortable and the seat in fact reclined and was not set to a fixed position. If you read carefully at the time you book you will see the baggage policy. If you want to use the overhead bin there is a charge of $35 at the time you book. When you check in online it will ask you if you need to check more bags and you will pay a little more then if you had your act together when you booked. If you just ignore it all and take your carry on to the gate and you didn't pay in advance yes to get to pay $100, that's on you, you should read as you book. My flight was delayed an hour and a half going because Air Force One went to Minneapolis the same day and about the same time, not Spirits fault. Also the trip back was delayed 15 minutes, not too bad. If you want to drink water or soda, being it on or you have to buy it. Do your homework, if you are taking a long vacation with baggage, something like Southwest may be better. But if you are going a short distance, don't need a free half can of soda and tiny bag of peanuts and can pack light and know how to check in o line and print your boarding pass, then Spirit is a good alternative and not nearly as bad as people here say. The gate agents and cabin crew were just fine, the same as any other I have flown with. I'm giving F & B and Inflight Entertainment a 1 because it's up to you if you want to buy a drink aboard, I didn't and I had my iPad for a movie.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by Brenda Baba    (USA)

Standard

I have flown to DFW from Michigan more times than I can remember, since my son moved to Texas. My first trip on Spirit Airlines, which I will dub, "Spirit Liarlines", was bad before we got off the ground in Detroit. They pretended the plane we boarded had a mechanical problem, so we all got off and was told only a couple of hours delay. After a five hour delay we were put on a different plane. On the trip back to Detroit from DFW the delays started long before I got to the airport, moving my departure time from 7.43pm to 9.47pm at 1.30 in the afternoon. Spirit Liarlines website says, Circumstances change quickly, so please arrive 60 minutes before original departure time to avoid potentially missing your flight.”So, it is a delay that might not be a delay and one that forced me to arrive at 6.43pm for a flight that did not depart until 11.20pm.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by A Withey    (USA)

Standard

June 17th and back on the 25t. I bought my bundle ticket through Expedia and regretted flying on Spirit when I found out I was going to be charged 150.00 going and another 150.00 coming back for carry on luggage. Service was horrible. They charged for even a cup of coffee. Seats did not go back and no videos while we flew. I wish I could give less than a one.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by Robert Jarvis    (USA)

Standard

Horrible experience sending my son and two granddaughters back to Latrobe this afternoon. Had pre booked this trip to Orlando a month ago, as we now know through Spirit Airlines. A real no frills flight program! Couldn't use money to buy condiments coming down, on the way back could. But that wasn't the horrible thing about this trip - scheduled to go out of Orlando at 3.26 so we get there at 2.15, standing in line and by the time my son gets to the counter he's told he's 3 minutes late and his baggage cannot be put on the plane! Next they have to figure out if they can get him onto the plane on a ticket he already has, so he and the two babies rush to the boarding dock while my wife and I wait to make sure we don't have to take him back home with us. Get the call and he and the girls are on the plane. A total lack of co-operation and understanding on part of the Spirit Airlines people, complete lack of empathy.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by D Taylor    (USA)

Standard

My family and I flew Spirit from Baltimore to Las Vegas. I had no idea the seats did not recline, and this was so very uncomfortable for a long flight. I feel the extra charges for one carry on bag for each person and to have to pay $3 per person for water is a bit much. As I was getting off the plane, one of the crew members, who did not say excuse me or thank you for flying with us, grabbed his luggage and just cut right in front of me. I would possibly recommend Spirit for a 90 min or less flight, but definitely not for a longer flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by McDonnell Teresa    (USA)

Big

I do not travel often, but the experience I had with Spirit leaves little to be desired. The plane that was to be mine was delayed several hours, coming from Denver. When we finally boarded, we sat on the tarmac for 1 hour with no AC. The pilot came on and said that we had to return to the gate because we would not make curfew flying into LaGuardia. This was a Wednesday and we were told that the next available flight would be on Saturday. I needed to be in NYC by Thursday! Unacceptable. No hotel vouchers to be had. The money I spent for the shuttle to the airport was non-refundable. There were only 2 agents at the counter to deal with all these people who had nowhere to go. Needless to say, they were not very accommodating, they were not able to deal well with the situation. What a disappointing experience flying with Spirit!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Laci Greer    (USA)

Standard

Not only did I have to pay $100 for one suitcase and laptop bag, but they didn't even honor the fact that I am military and that any other airlines wouldn't charge military for their bags. Once paying the ridiculous fees, I get on the plane and find out that everything costs including the water. When I was preparing to head to the airport for departure from California, I decided to check online for boarding times and three different times my flight was delayed. I didn't arrive back to Texas until 1.30 in the morning. So if you want to purchase a cheap ticket for a trip with rude customer service, baggage fees, and non-complimentary anything, then pick Spirit. But for all you're going to pay them, you would be better off just buying a ticket at another well known airlines. Never again. I guess you live and you learn.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by S Edlin    (USA)

Standard

Just like the rest of the bad reviews, all the extra charges for everything that is standard and custom on most other airlines. This is a new high for how bad customer service was for our entire family. We were to get on a flight from Minneapolis to Las Vegas on June 18th, after 4 hours of waiting they cancel the entire flight stranding our family in the airport. From here it gets worse, the only thing they will allow is to get a voucher for a future ticket or a partial refund of our money. So we get into line and wait and wait, the ticketing personnel just sit at their desk and do nothing. We ask for a supervisor, they respond they are busy, this is about 2am in the morning. We all are still waiting to get some type of resolve. We ended up by only getting a partial refund, had to pay for the hotel stay that we couldn't use had to cancel are rental vehicle and then had to rebook another flight with another carrier. Then on top of it the original destination for the Spirit flight was Las Vegas and it had to be change to Salt Lake City instead and now we had to rent a vehicle from there.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by S Jones    (USA)

Standard

Absolutely horrible customer service at the Atlanta Spirit check-in. 1 person in line in front of me took 45 minutes to speak with anyone. They allowed people not in line to walk right up to the counter. I finally got to speak with the rudest person in ATL, which trust me there are plenty. All I needed was a security pass to pick my juvenile son at the gate. This useless customer service agent said I couldn't pick my child up because I wasn't listed to pick him up I showed him my receipt where I paid for the ticket, my identification (with the same name), however this was not enough. After calling me "careless", he decided to allow me to pick him up. The worst ever!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by L Laurentis    (USA)

Standard

We experienced delays both ways without any explanation. After a last minute gate change from Chicago to NY, there was virtually no procedure to the boarding process. Instead of boarding by zones, the agent just called everyone up to get on the plane which we had to walk down a steep stairway and go outside to board. Suffice it to say, it was very stressful and disorderly. Do not join the $9 Fare Club thinking it is $9 to join to receive discount rates on checked-in luggage. It costs $59.95 which they state only at the very bottom of the page in smaller type which I missed because I was doing this last minute during online check-in when I saw how much $$ they charge for bags. Then they don't even send you a receipt for joining so you can catch it in time to cancel. The plane on the returning trip was filthy and delayed by more than 2 hours. This airline nickel and dimes you for everything. By the time I paid for all the fees, I ended up paying an additional $120. This is the first and last time on Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Speed Cathy    (USA)

Never again will we fly this airline. The plane was filthy with food all over the floor, my son sat in gum on the seat, his seatbelt did not work, they charged for a cup of water for my child (not a bottle, a plastic cup of tap water), trash all over the floor of plane, extremely hot with no a/c, and they charged us extra for asking to be seated together since we had small children (apparently it is ok to let the strangers on plane have to deal w/ your kids). Charged $400 round trip for 4 ordinary size bags. Never fly with Spirit Airlines!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Gonzalo Maureira    (USA)

Standard

I am a frequently traveler and this is the worst airline that I have experienced. I purchased a round trip ticket from Houston to Las Vegas. The trip from Houston Las Vegas was cancelled 3 hours after the departure time, the airline staff did not provide any meaningful reason about such cancellation (no manager showed up at all either). The solution given was to take another flight three days later, no hotel stay, not even a glass of water for the long wait. Finally I had no choice but to keep the return flight with Spirit and to buy a one way ticket on short notice with another airline, the price for that ticket was $1,300 (out of my pocket). As you can see I'm very frustrated of having purchased a ticket on such unreliable and unprofessional airline. If you are thinking of using Spirit for your further travel plans, you should think twice!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by J Leather    (USA)

My wife and I have flown Spirit to several destinations over many years. Most recently, we traveled to San Francisco via Las Vegas. I wish we could get direct flights to the Bay Area, but an overnight stay in Las Vegas is not too hard to take. Our return trip was not so un-troubled. It's true that the current policy of "your fare entitles you to a seat on the plane - all else is an extra charge" seems unfair to some travelers, but Spirit is up front about it, and nobody should feel they were trapped into unexpected charges for e.g. luggage. We travel with one checked bag (just under the 40 lb. limit) and each have a free backpack as carry-on. Those back packs are big enough to hold water bottles, snacks, a change of clothes in case of "delayed luggage", medication, toiletries, books, etc. We only reserve seats together on longer flights, and take our chances on the short hops. That saves us $40 on a round-trip. We have never been treated by any Spirit employee in any way but a courteous and helpful manner. I wish I could say the same about major airline personnel. I don't mind paying $8 for a gin and tonic while flying, (it's cheaper if my wife joins me). I've paid more than that at airport bars. Our last return trip from Oakland to Philadelphia was our worst experience. We had anticipated about a 7 hour layover in Las Vegas, and planned to hop a shuttle to one of the hotels, have dinner and maybe spend some time in the casino before getting a shuttle back to the airport. Weather conditions all over the country played havoc with those plans, and the schedules of all airlines as well. There were a few passengers embarrassingly stupid enough to take out their frustration caused by the weather on the crew. We arrived at Las Vegas with just about enough time to check in for the LAS to PHL flight. Since I could not book the trip as a fight from OAK to PHL, changing planes in LAS, I had to book it as two separate flights. I doubt if Spirit, or any airline would take responsibility for us if we missed our flight from LAS to PHL since they did not schedule it as a connection they planned for our journey. If we missed the plane we had designated as a "connection", the fault would be ours. That's something to keep in mind if you are planning a trip on Spirit, or any airline that uses a lot of "hub and spokes" in designing their routes. Overall, we have been pleased with the service and prices that Spirit offers the public. The "hardships" we have had to endure have been minor, and well worth the savings. I hope to start planning our next trip very soon.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Joan Philips    (USA)

I read the reviews here after I had bought a non-refundable ticket with Spirit, so I was very nervous. But it turned out very well. Here are my experiences: 1. Being on time. One flight was 1.5 hours late due to weather, but a Delta flight the same day was 7 hours late! If I absolutely have to be on time, I will take another airline. But otherwise I am okay with taking my chances. 2. Cramped seats. I am very nervous about flying. But the tightly packed seats made me feel more secure and it felt safer. 3. Lack of amenities such as drinks and snacks, extra pay for luggage. One reason I don't fly much is because of how it contributes so much to global warming. Spirit tries to reduce weight on their flights, and that helps reduce the negative environmental impact of flying. So extra pay for extra weight is for me a plus! 4. Pleasantness of employees I had a good experience. One flight attendant was cracking jokes like "Put on your oxygen mask and insert credit card for oxygen." This made the flight a lot more fun.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Ravini Johnson    (USA)

June 24 2014, flight 630, Chicago O'Hare (ORD) - New York, NY - LaGuardia (LGA). Don't know where to start, overall the worst experience ever. They canceled the flight and didn't pay for anything. Staff are rude, no supervisor available and zero customer service. I was warned about flying Sprit unfortunately only after I had purchased the tickets. Believe me pay the few extra dollars and fly any other airline because at the end the day you will pay a lot more with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by M Angelini    (USA)

Standard

Without a doubt the worst airline we have used. They will rip you off seven ways to Sunday and twice on Monday. We booked our flight via Priceline and were never told that in order not to be raked over the coals in baggage fees we needed to pay for our bags in advance. When we learned this at the airport while checking in it cost $90 for two bags - she never even told us there was an additional fee for the checked bag we had, despite telling her that we had one. We were told that had we booked with Spirit directly we would not have had to pay as much. What they neglected to tell us was that when we paid for the return bags online in advance, that we needed to do it more than 24 hours before the return flight or suffer near equally outlandish fees. Furthermore, when trying to pay for them in advance via the iPad apparently their poor software cannot handle such a simple transaction yet when you call to take care of it over the phone you can't or you'll have to pay the same amount as you would if you checked them at the airport!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by C Farrel    (USA)

Big

They get non suspecting first time travelers and then they stick it to you. A Red eye from Vegas with seats that do not even recline. Never again. Take a greyhound bus, you will arrive at your destination faster. Horrible customer service, deceptive advertising, bad plane amenities. By the time they nickel and dime you, you can fly a better carrier. Final note: be careful with online booking, you think you are booking what you saw, but they may in fact put you on another flight. Be careful and watch when you confirm your trip booking.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by R Gardner    (USA)

Standard

Flight was cancelled on 6/25 from Las Vegas due to bad weather in Dallas. Spirit said the soonest they could fly us out would be Monday 6/30 (5 days later) or give us a refund. No accommodation at all. Cost $2176 to buy 4 one way tickets on Southwest with a change in Chicago.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by H Zhang    (USA)

Standard

Fool me once, shame on me. Never again, Spirit Airlines. Flew round trip between Los Angles (LAX) and Chicago (O'Hare). As I checked in, I discovered that carry-on luggage is $35 before online check-in, $45 during online check-in, $50 at the counter, and $100 at the gate. $100! There is nothing "economical" about this. When I woke up the morning of my flight that was supposed to leave at 8.30am, I saw that I had received an email from Kayak (where I booked the flight) saying that it would be 2 hours delayed. No notification from Spirit. I called Spirit, after waiting 30 minutes, I finally got through, only to be told very curtly and rudely that he "can see what I can see". When I asked if there is a different number or someone else in customer service who can help, he said no and told me to go to the airport. Got to the airport and walked up to the counter to drop off my pre-paid, "fast drop off bag". The person at the counter pointed to the line that was 100 people deep all the way down the hallway and out the door to the curb of the airport where 50+ people were waiting. "That's the line to drop my bag off?" "Yes." "But I pre-paid for fast bag drop?" "You still need to go through the line." "But why is it called fast bag drop?" "I don't know." 45 minutes later, after I finally get up to the counter. The same person who gave me the "I don't know." asked how my day was, and I responded with "Terrible." "Why?" he asked. "Well, my flight's been delayed for 2 hours, I didn't receive any notification from you guys, I've had to wait on the phone and in line for very routine requests, and I'm probably going to miss my pre-paid appointment in Chicago because you can't give me an estimate of when we will arrive." He gave me a smirk and said "Only 2 hours delayed? That's not bad." Never again, Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by K Soltesz    (USA)

This is by far the worst company I have encountered. Not only do they nickel and dime you for every single thing down to charging you $20 per seat per flight (not round trip) but the staff are incapable of providing any type of customer service. When it was my turn to check my bag in, the staff member asks "where is your boarding pass", I showed her my phone which had the pass on it. She said she "doesn't know how to use that" so I have to either pay $15 for her to print one or I have to exit the line to print one at the kiosk and wait in the line all over again. Clearly I just paid it so I didn't have to interact with her any longer. Then upon boarding the actual plane all flight attendants were sucking lollipops and were just straight rude. I learned my lesson. Never again will I fly Spirit Airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Sandra Christensen    (USA)

Standard

My flight from MSP to ORD was cancelled the morning of 6/19/14 due to weather. The line at Spirit Airlines was very long and didn't move the first hour I stood in it. I got on the phone and all I was offered was a refund and a flight 3 days later. I needed to be in Chicago that night. I asked to talk to that persons manager. Guess what? A seat magically opened up on a flight later that evening. Having already returned my rental car, I hung out at the airport for my late afternoon flight. Our plane arrived, and we're all ready to board when we get the news that the flight is delayed. Long story short, they strung us along until a little past midnight. The customers were so irritated and tired by this time that the desk employee called a gate change. We all packed up and walked to the other end to a new gate. We waited there for a good half hour. That's when we were informed the flight had been canceled a half hour ago and we were all to go to the Spirit desk for other arrangements. Another long line. No rental cars to be had. No hotel rooms available. I finally found a hotel quite a distance away. By the time I got to my room it was 2am. I found a flight on SunCountry Airlines departing the next morning at 8am and finally made my destination to Chicago.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by T Mahaney    (USA)

Standard

Unfortunately this may have been my worst experience ever with an airline. What they seem to fail to tell you is that the check-in policy is different when traveling from Costa Rica (unless this is the case everywhere). Although check-in policy says 2 hours prior to scheduled or displayed departure, you better be there 2 hours prior to the scheduled time, even if the flight is delayed 8 hours! Not only did we receive notice from Kayak about the delay but Spirit's own website displayed the 8 hour delay. When we arrived to check-in 3 hours before our flight we were told that we had missed the flight and it was closed. It didn't matter that the plane wasn't even in Costa Rican airspace. They refused to take responsibility, or put us up for the night and acted as if we should be happy that they rescheduled us for the next day. I feel bad for the people who sat there for 10 hours waiting for the plane because then the flight cancelled because the crew became illegal (too many hours). I have no idea how many hours everyone else waited. In addition, how could they not know that by the time the plane arrived that the crew would not be able to turn the plane? This was the first and last time we will even fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by D Muhammad    (USA)

Standard

June 13th, I was to fly out to Denver but it was delayed due to weather. Once the flight was cleared to leave we boarded the plane and taxied out. After sitting on the runway for approx 15 minutes the pilot stated he needed to go back to the gate because the plane did not have enough fuel. By the time the plane was fuelled up the flight crew timed out and the flight was then canceled. I was then booked onto a flight to Las Vegas but my connection to Colorado wasn't until the next day. I was offered a hotel room at a reduced rate (it should have been free) and no meal voucher.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by P Cooper    (USA)

Standard

On June 16, 2014, I decided to book a last minute trip to Ft. Lauderdale from Atlanta. I checked in 24 hours in advance at home and printed off my boarding pass. This was my first time flying with Spirit, when I was asked did I want to check a bag during the online check-in process, I declined, thinking I would bring a carry-on bag which is usually free. Once at the gate, I overheard some ladies on my flight talking about how you must pay to carry-on a bag! I approached the counter at the gate to speak with the Spirit representative to ask if what I heard was correct and he confirmed it. At this point I tried to go online and pay, no luck. Going back to the ticket counter was out of the question. I ended up calling the Customer Service 1-800 number and was able to pay $45 over the phone for my bag. The $45 fee was a one-way fee and I was not allowed to carry-on my bag! I had to place my bag underneath the airplane and pick-up at the baggage claim once we landed in Ft. Lauderdale. On my return flight back to Atlanta which was at 3.07 pm, I was running late to the airport. I got to the ticket counter at 2.20 pm to check-in and print off my boarding pass. The representative told me they had sold my seat because I didn't check- in early enough! At this point I should have 47 minutes to get through this tiny airport and make my flight. I asked her to check the surrounding airports for flights going to Atlanta, she said Spirit doesn't fly out of Miami and there were no flights out of West Palm Beach airport. All the representative told me is, "we can put you on a 9.40 am flight in the morning". I had to purchase a $347 last minute ticket on Delta to get home.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Kaylee Schabatka    (USA)

Standard

Paid 160$ to check two normal size and weight suitcases. All went ok flying into Chicago, not many complaints except for all the fees. When we got to Chicago Airport we had everything ready and were 1.5 hours early for our flight. When we went to check our luggage we were notified that our connecting flight was cancelled. We received no email, no phone call, nothing. We were told we could either get a complete refund, or fly to Dallas and wait a full 24 hours for our next flight. I asked the attendant if we would be receiving a hotel voucher anything. He said no they don't provide them. So we got to Dallas airport 2 hours late and were told that shuttles don't run after midnight. I asked the Spirit attendant if they would let us back into the terminal if we checked in so we would at least have a safe place to rest for the night. The Spirit worker said no and that normally they give out cots but not after midnight. I slept in a freezing airport last night on the ground, going on hour 18 in the airport now. Just six more to go. Spirit may appear cheap but after they charge you $200 in fees and then cancel your flight its not worth it. I will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by F Harry    (USA)

Big

Flight was 2 hours late leaving and then spent an hour on the runway with no air conditioning in San Juan. PR in June 2014. The heat got so bad someone had an asthma attack and the plane was forced to return to the gate. The medical case person was removed and then maybe 6 or 8 more people just got off. The delay made our group of 9 miss our connection. They offered us 3 hotel rooms and $21 in vouchers for food for a 24 hour layover. The vouchers were written wrong and only 1 restaurant would take them and 3 people had to use the same voucher. When the tickets were issued for the flight they left off all the paid carry-on bags. Not a single agent could even figure out how to add them back. This caused more trouble.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Hana Catak    (USA)

Standard

Our flight was scheduled to depart at 6.10am, which required us to get up at 3am. Upon arrival at the airport at 5am, we were informed, by a very non sympathetic Spirit employee that our flight was delayed 6 hours due to weather conditions in Dallas. Our friends that joined us a few minutes later were told that the weather issue was in Chicago. We did inquire as to why no one contacted us, but were not given an answer. As per Spirit's Customer Service Terms and Conditions, they say that they make a reasonable effort to inform passengers of changes. No such attempt was made until we reached the Spirit counter. We decided to wait at the airport and around 8.30 headed to our gate. As we sat down, we overheard the Spirit employee tell a few other passengers to start looking for alternate transportation. Our options were extremely limited. We were not able to get a flight until the following day at an additional expense of $400. This kind of service is simply unacceptable in this day and age where the world revolves around customer service. And to offer no resolution for the customers was just as unacceptable. The purpose of our trip was a vacation, so we were able to move plans around. At a much larger cost, but we made it work. Long story short, we will never be choosing Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by R Walstead    (USA)

Big

Less than 30 minutes before boarding, the flight from Denver was cancelled due to crew unavailability. 150 passengers were directed to the main ticket counter for options. We were told that we would be rebooked on the next available flight. The next available flight was the following day and there were about 6 seats available at the beginning of the process. I was about 100 passengers back in the line being serviced by a single gentleman. After over an hour in line, I managed to use my phone to book a Frontier flight later in the afternoon.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by L Garvey    (USA)

We lucked out, but I won't fly Spirit again! My daughter and I took a last-minute trip to Chicago from Minneapolis, and decided to fly Spirit since we didn't need to take any bags-which would have almost made the price equal to a more reputable competitor! Our outgoing trip was on schedule and fine. Our return trip turned out OK, but the mess at the airport made me realize that we were very lucky to get home only 30 minutes late! Every flight in the Spirit gate area was delayed or cancelled (one that was supposed to leave at 10.30am was finally cancelled at 7.30pm), and there was one poor gate agent who was trying her best to help and give information (information that she obviously wasn't getting from the company). People were screaming, swearing, etc at her and finally airport security had to come stand by her! There was no explanation for why flights were delayed or cancelled, or why my flight, which was scheduled to leave after most of the delayed flights was boarded and we left 30 minutes late! I won't take my chances again, but happy that I won the Spirit lottery this time!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by J Coppotelli    (USA)

Standard

Flight was cancelled out of Ft Lauderdale due to bad weather at our destination. Instead of rescheduling they offered a flight 2 days later with 4 layovers. Was originally a direct flight. New flight offered was 11 hours. Traveling with 2 small children this is not an option. Had to get a refund and spend an extra 500 dollars to fly a different airline. Will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by J Blythe    (USA)

Standard

This is the worst airline. The are always late and there are hidden fees everywhere - from choosing a seat to carry-on luggage. Their employees are far from friendly and borderline rude. I booked a flight to Las Vegas in June of 2013 and the one thing good about the flight was that it was smooth, everything else was substandard.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by L Garlinghouse    (USA)

Standard

Round-trip from LAS to HOU on May 13. Cancelled because of weather. Next flight 2 days later. No apology, no comps, just rude service. Coming back on May 27, 2014, again bad weather. Spirit employees at ticket desk, said TSA closed and needed to take bags through security. When explained we paid to checked these bags because of the contents, we were told to throw belongings away or scheduled FedEx pickup or rebook for flight (next day). Long story short, we had to pay FedEx $75 to pick up belongings that should of been in our check bags. And almost missed our flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by A Bird    (USA)

Standard

Big mistake using this airline. There were no non-stop flights from Sacramento to Dallas so I took a chance on Spirit flying out of Oakland. Flight was delayed 2 hours 20 minutes, which put me in Dallas after 2 am. This is the first and last time I fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Roman Gross    (USA)

Standard

They nickel and dime you for everything possible. Our flight was delayed an hour and a half which caused us to miss our connecting flight. We had to stay in Florida for 12.5 hours until the next available flight, which caused 5 of us to miss work the next day. They wouldn't try to get us on another flight with a different airline because they are too cheap and don't care about their customers. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Kent Israel    (USA)

Standard

First trip with Spirit was 6/12/14 to 6/16/14. Worst trip ever. Deceptive additional charges for seat and carry on, totaling $100.00. Every boarding was late. Last boarding from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando waited over six hours. I will not travel with Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Patty Hoppe    (USA)

Standard

Arrived at the gate at Denver International Airport this morning at 8.15 for my flight to Orlando at 9.00. I waited 40 minutes then was told the flight would be delayed 1 hour. 15 minutes later, the flight was cancelled. Spirit Airlines said they can get me to Orlando 2 days from now, or a refund. I can't tell you how angry I am. I need to be in Florida for a conference. I will never fly Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by B Stone    (USA)

Standard

We were delayed due to weather. Sat on the plane for an hour. After an hour they announce that they will fly around the storm. 15 minutes later they come on saying we don't have enough fuel. So we wait another hour for fuel. 99% of the plane was making a connecting flight. They then announced that every flight that was connecting would not be delayed to wait for us to arrive. They said we can get you to Ft Lauderdale but there are no flights out of there for 3 days. Most of us got off the plane and ran around the airport trying to find a different airline. They told us we had to get to the ticket counter and cancel our flight in able to be refunded. We also waited another hour for our luggage to get off the plane that many of us exited. Seriously, what airline doesn't keep adequate fuel to fly around a storm? I will walk, swim, or ride a bike before I ever use Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by S Edlin    (USA)

When pricing your ticket between different carriers be sure to know the hidden costs after you purchase your ticket. Pretty much bait and switch with Spirit! Need to check-in prior to flight, the earliest is 24hrs. prior and can do so up 1 hr. prior. But, here is where you can throughout economy flying with Spirit, everything has a charge for it for us it was an extra $72 per person for seat assignment (X) 4, each of our bags that normally consider carry-on and less than 25 lbs. was $80 (X) 4. The customer service representatives barely speak English and are extremely rude. If you don't pre print your boarding pass at your office or home it is another $10. The sad thing is we continue to allow and support bad behavior from companies such as this. In the future my dollars will be spent with other carriers, and I advise people to do the same.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by M Evans    (USA)

Standard

My flight was June 17th from Myrtle Beach to DFW. When we went to get on the plane they did end up putting my nephew in an Exit row seat which we had to change because he was not over 15 yrs. old. Once on the plane everything was fine, the only complaint about the actual plane was that it seemed a little dirty and the seats were pretty worn. The flight staff were very nice, friendly and funny. Overall very pleasant flying experience. If you read on their website it tells you everything you are charged for so I don't know why people are so surprised about information that is in broad daylight. As long as you do your homework you should be just fine. And come on people complaining about a few dollars for a snack or drink really? They do let you bring on snacks and drinks if you want to. I would for sure book through their website instead of a 3rd party because you will get all the correct information that way. I would probably take Spirit again if need be. One more thing, there was plenty of leg room, I think even more than American Airlines has.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by T Coley    (USA)

Standard

Any money you save is negated by $35 carry-on bag fee and $10 fee to reserve your seat of choice! Not even a soft drink for free. Flight attendants zip down the aisle with the beverage cart because nobody is foolish enough to pay for a drink! Seat backs do not recline (except in emer. exit rows) and seats themselves are very uncomfortable after 2-hour flight. Avoid Spirit and pay the few extra dollars for a "regular" carrier. Spirit just takes "no-frills" way too far!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Debbie Daniels    (USA)

Standard

My daughter plays volleyball, and they had to go to Dallas for qualifiers. Being a single mother, I had to find the best flight I could. We book with Spirit because of the price. We didn't make a beef over the fee for luggage because it was still the cheapest airfare. However, we were scheduled for a 7.30 flight. The flight was delayed over 5 hours. As a result, she nearly missed her first game, and more tired than if we drove. They did not even seem remorseful whatsoever, What a miserable airline. And to think, I joined their club to get better deals in the future. Boy, did I ever get duped.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by J Gustafson    (USA)

Standard

Went to Las Vegas McCarran Airport 2 hours early. 2 huge lines and a Spirit rep is yelling Minneapolis flight is cancelled because of bad weather in Chicago. I get on my smartphone and check flighttracker which reported 98% of the flights were leaving on time with only light rain in Chicago. Then they tell us they won't have a flight for us for 2 more days! Never again. It is total waste of your time, effort and money.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Caleb Bean    (USA)

Standard

June 19th 2014, flight 832, listed 1.11pm departure, Houston to Orlando. I am sitting on the Spirit aircraft as I write this review. We have been sitting on the plane at the gate for 2 hours. First there was a problem with the computer, in which they had to re-boot the entire system. After that hour, the pilot let us know that the toilets were broken. So we continued to sit on the plane for an additional hour so far. On top of all of this I have a wife in labor with our first child. Of course you will have mechanical failure, but the way this was handled is completely unacceptable.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 June 2014 by Hailey B Morris    (USA)

Standard

I just took a trip to DAL from ATL at the beginning of June 2014. I did all of my homework and researched Spirit before I made my final decision. I was not taking a long trip therefore I only needed a carry-on that I paid 70$ total for (35$ there and 35$ back). Spirit allows one free small bag and I was able to take my tote. I also printed my boarding pass online, at home, so I was able to go straight to security. The flight process was very easy and laid out and I did not experience any severe trouble with the flight staff. The only bad comment that I have to make about my trip was that it was delayed an hour on my flight back home because the plane had traveled internationally and had to be thoroughly checked in customs. I consider myself lucky to only have that one hiccup. The pilot also sped up the flight and we only ended up being 30 minutes behind schedule. I have no bad comments about food and staff service considering I slept the majority of the trip and I ate before boarding the plane on the trip there and the trip back. There is no inflight entertainment but I did not expect any for the price that I paid, plus, I brought my tablet and a book to read during the flight. Overall, I would highly recommend Spirit Airlines for quick travel. You get what you pay for and for the cost, I was beyond satisfied with what I got!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Dennis Wallace    (USA)

Big

Flew out to Las Vegas on flt 245 leaving Chicago 05/30 and returned on flt 356 out of Las Vegas on 06/03. Well I signed on here to complain about my flight to Vegas, but it looks like I'm preaching to the choir. It's nice to know we get just what we pay for in this case one notch up from nothing. Rude flight attendant's, little or no service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by J Cho    (USA)

Standard

I flew from LAX to Chicago during the memorial day weekend. Don't get tricked by their low-priced flight, because it is not low at all. Let me tell you why. I booked my flight through priceline which lists all different types of airlines. Spirit came up on the very top because of its "low" price. We picked Spirit because of its price and the flight schedule. Little did we know, right after we booked, found out that they charge for every carry on or check-in luggage. I've never seen any airlines that charge for carry on, so we wanted to cancel it, but it was too late (no full refunds, only partial flight credit). We decided to just have one huge bag to check-in (it's cheaper than a carry on if you pay before you get there). Service was slow and horrible. No snacks/beverage provided. Seats were tight/uncomfortable. Flight was shaky both times. I saw a lot of people who didn't know about the luggage fee so they had to pay upfront which was $100 for a carry on. I'm sure most of people, including myself, paid more than any other airlines because of all these additional fees.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by K Thompson    (USA)

Standard

My assistant booked me on Spirit from LaGuardia to O'Hare because their flight times fit my schedule. I didn't really know anything about this airline so I got blindsided by fees and poorly communicated flight changes. Round trip, both flights were delayed without explanation. On my return trip, the gate was changed but the information was not updated on the boards - which caused panic and chaos. To board, we walked down this employee-only stairway, outside and threading through construction cones and baggage carts to walk up a plank to the airplane. There aren't words to describe how degrading the whole experience was. Note: I'd like to be able to rate seat comfort, inflight food and entertainment but there was none.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards