Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Read Spirit Airlines Passenger Reviews and Spirit Airlines customer trip Reports

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by D Kline    (USA)

Standard

I never flew Spirit in the summer months, but I can comment on Feb-March service. First of all, I think Spirit is a great deal and would put up with inconveniences to save a sizeable chunk of change. However, a word to the wise, if you are on prescription medication, take at least a weeks worth of extra medication with you and do not plan on positively coming home on the date of your return ticket. When conditions are bad at your departure site, arrival site, or point of the planes original departure, you can easily be stranded for 2, 3, 7 days. Spirit makes no attempt to reschedule you other than their next flight. They will offer to give your money back, but that usually leaves you to purchase a much more expensive flight on another airline. Take extra money and be prepared to stay on for awhile i ncase you become delayed! Also, the passenger in the seat in front of me was voluntarily moved from his "extra legroom" seat. Mid-flight the attendant offered to move him to an exit row, but when the passenger asked about refunding his $18 that he had paid for the original seat, he was out of luck! They would not offer him anything other than to move him to an exit row. That would have meant moving other people out of the way, so he declined. This is a no-frills airline so be prepared!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by Cheong Kian Kok    (Malaysia)

Standard

I took this airlines from Chicago (ORD) to LaGuardia, New York (LGA) on January 18, 2014 and January 23, 2014. I reached the airport and printed out the boarding pass from the Self Service Printing Machine in front of the counters. I was not charged for anything. Going into boarding area is fuss free as well as the boarding experience. My wife seated on the aisle while I'm at the middle of the three seater. I didn't bring any check in luggage or any carry in that is too big. I only have a small bag with me that I need to put in front of my leg. I slept a bit during the flight. The flight attendant was nice. Overall we had a safe and efficient (no incident) flight. Probably due to low season (but the flight is almost full).

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by Sun Vivian    (USA)

Standard

Flight 729, Feb 3rd 2015. Cheap fares! If everything goes smoothly then its a no brainer. But if anything goes wrong, such as delay or cancellation, there will be no customer support whatsoever. No support of any kind! You are stuck! They only have one flight outbound per destination per day. Nothing they can do to get you on any faster flight. No hotel accommodation! When it comes to redeeming credited vouchers? Even though I have a $50 credit, but after trying to use it, the credit comes to $8.24 even though my base fare is over $80. Called their customer support and got told that basically even though the credit is for $50, it may not exactly be $50. Be aware that all your questions will be answered “I am sorry, its our policy.” Its their policy to pick up phone calls and has no power to do whatsoever. You are better off not wasting time with their customer support.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by C Santiago    (USA)

Big

Awful experience and even worse customer service. Had a flight from Orlando delayed due to weather in Ft. Lauderdale and final destination in Medellin, Colombia. I was told no planes were coming or leaving so we would not miss our connecting flight. We finally took off and landed only to hear from a very rude gate agent that the plane took off early and left me and 20+ other passengers stranded. Mind you, they give us 5 minutes from the time our plane landed to the time when we have to be at the gate to board the connecting flight. I was given a discount coupon for a room, which was useless since all the rooms were booked. I had to pay 180 dollars for an awful room at a red carpet inn. Also they change gates and departing times while you are at 36,000 feet! Save yourself the hassle and unreasonable rude individuals and just pay a little more.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by M Robinson    (USA)

Standard

My very first time flying with Spirit. It was absolutely horrible! My friends and I took a last minute trip to Vegas and decided to try Spirit since they had lower prices. At least we thought that was the case. We paid a total 385 for a round trip to Vegas from DFW after the bag fees, boarding pass fees, seat fees and whatever other crazy fees they don't tell you about upfront. We board the cramped tight space plane and the seats are torn and dirty, the floors looked like they hadn't ever been cleaned! There was gum on the trays! We were so uncomfortable next to each other and the person in front was literally in our laps and their seats weren't reclined! To top it all off our return flight got canceled at the last minute. Every other airline was running smoothly. Not only did we have to purchase another ticket with Southwest but we had to go through the dreaded process of getting a refund with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by James Julie    (USA)

Standard

Had a flight that was supposed to leave at 9.29 am on Feb 23 2015. After being at the airport 2.5 hours before our flight we were told the pilot had not been located and it would be 11.30 before a pilot could fly in from Denver. At 11.45 staff said sorry but there had been confusion and the pilot would not be there until after 12.30. We finally started to board the plane that had been sitting there since before 5am, we did not get off the ground until after 1.30 delaying our people waiting to get us from the airport in Phoenix for over 5 hours. I understand things happen but two incidents with incorrect info as to the pilot I don't buy that. The flight was full so there should have been a pilot booked all along. The other big problem I have is all the added costs. We have to pay to put our luggage bag on for each person and pay for assigned seats? That added 126.00 flying to Arizona and home so your tickets are not cheaper then other flights and the seats are poor and the unorganized mess caused by poor communication made everyone of us suffer and then to pay the high fees. On the plane the toilets were frozen and they could not make coffee because the flight had sat for so many hours. The flight offered everyone a small bottle of water and cookies saying it's complimentary. We were also informed by the flight attendants they were low on several drinks and beers because the plane was not stocked. This was the worst flight I have been on and I will not fly it again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by A Cristaudo    (USA)

Standard

I flew with Spirit for the first time round trip from Las Vegas to Dallas with my 8 year old little girl. We were worried that our night flight would be canceled due to the weather in Dallas, therefore we arrived at the airport early in the morning to fly on standby for an 11am flight. We were able to fly on the 11am flight with no cost increase, and we were even given the more spacious seats. We carried two backpacks on the plane (1 per each) with all of our stuff, therefore we had no luggage fees. Coming home we printed our boarding passes out at the rental car facility and there was no charge. To be honest I read all the rules, called Spirit to double check everything and wound up saving a lot of money. Total cost was $180 round trip for both of us. I will definitely be using them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Mohammed Alshehri    (Canada)

Standard

We flew from Minneapolis to Las Vegas on Feb 14 and the return flight was on Feb 21 with our 9.5 month son. We were happy with their service. We booked our flight for $312! Two adults, one infant, one checked in bag and we chose our seats at the time of booking. All for $312 including taxes and the charges. No hidden fees. We went to the airport after checking in online to avoid charges. (Clearly mentioned on website and email). We traveled with one checked in bag, two backpacks, my son's diaper bag and stroller with a car seat (the stroller and the car seat were free of charge). The flight was good, seats do not recline but were comfy. You have to pay for food and snacks, I wish they would provide at least water for free. The staff were ok. Some were friendly and some didn't say anything. There was a one hour delay on our return flight. Overall I would recommend Spirit and will travel again with them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by N Matthew    (USA)

Standard

Flew from LGA to OAK. Worst flight I've taken, and I will never fly Spirit again. I've flown plenty of airlines, and so I didn't think twice about flying a different one this time, as they've always been relatively similar. Their baggage fees are out of this world, and the weight limit on baggage is less, while costing more. There is no in-flight food or entertainment. You have to pay extra to pick a seat (which I didn't know, since I had already picked my seat on Hotwire when booking the flight.) Spirit also did not allow me to check-in pre-flight, or print a boarding pass until I got there. The whole point behind booking with Spirit would be to save money, as they're supposedly worlds cheaper than booking with anyone else. This was not the case. I unknowingly booked this flight, and it was barely cheaper than other airlines. The baggage fees made the trip significantly more expensive than if I were to book with someone else. Never again will I be flying Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Michael Vinocur    (USA)

Standard

This airline has taken unbundled pricing to such an extreme that I'd rather pay more to fly on any other airline. The idea that I couldn't know whether my family of 5 would be seated together until 24 hours before the flight nor have the other family flying with us seated next to us without paying a premium turned me off to ever using Spirit unless I have no other choice. Also, there were three seats together in last row and attendants wouldn't let my two kids move back one row so their friend could join them there, claiming a weight and balance issue. Furthermore, my boarding pass said I was eligible for "Fast Bag Drop." It took us about 30 minutes online to do our "fast bag drop." as the attendants at the fast bag drop counters seemed to be processing people who clearly had changes to make in their travel. Then, after spending all that time in line, we were forced to sign waiver tags clearing Spirit of any obligation if our bags didn't make it onto the plane on time because we were "late". If there really was a Fast Bag Drop, we wouldn't have been late. Then the representative told us that the Spirit website said we were expected to be at the airport 2 hours before our flight. I've never heard any other airline demand this for domestic travel. Also, we were subject to obnoxious credit card commercials from the plane attendants at the end of every flight. Both my outbound and return flights had a stop, which meant we had to listen to the same sales pitch 4 times. I'm a customer, not just a spigot for Spirit to try to pull additional dollars from.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Lorri Valdez    (USA)

Big

We planned to fly from DFW to Las Vegas on Feb 22 2015, I had been checking the weather report and the airlines all day for changes. We arrived at the airport at 8 pm the flight was at 11 pm so we had lots of time, went to the kiosk and it printed me a paper that said speak to agent. We were in line for and hour to find out they cancelled the flight and not just ours everyone that was flying with them to other locations. They were saying because of bad weather but then I asked why other airlines were still flying they said because all their flights cancelled due to fewer flights allowed to fly. So because they are a smaller, lower level airlines that don't want to pay for the slots to fly they get bumped?

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Renneke Karen    (USA)

Standard

I booked a flight on Spirit for a vacation from MSP to AZ, it was 3 hours late, as the pilots had to rest before taking off, then on Monday 2/18/15. Then my return flight from AZ to MSP was suppose to be at 3pm, 2/23/15, it got cancelled because of mechanical problems (they have no inventory for back-up planes). They left us hanging in the airport until 7pm, before we had the news it was cancelled. No time to book another flight, then they gave us voucher to a hotel known for its cockroaches and bed bugs. No we did not stay there. Then they had a plane for us at 6am, so I never slept. I book hundreds of flight for the college I work for, and was thinking this might be an option to book flights for faculty, speakers and guests, but after loosing a day of work. Poor customer service, nickle and dimes you to death.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by R Moore    (USA)

Standard

I had never booked with Spirit previously. I flew home from Dallas to Cleveland only because American canceled my flight due to weather. Spirit was the only option to get me home without spending two days in the airport. I only wish that I had another option, actually any option would have been better. Their "e-tickets" cannot be scanned by TSA agents. The counter staff were absolutely the worst I have ever encountered. Worst customer service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by R Koenig    (USA)

Standard

Today I flew with Spirit and had only a briefcase with me. 2x12x17 inches. The locks on my briefcase made it the one inch too wide. Result: I had to pay $50. A couple in front of me had a rucksack which they squeezed in the checking frame and they did not have to pay. I call this bullying and find it unacceptable.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by J Ringgaard    (USA)

Standard

Flew from Minneapolis, MN to Las Vegas. Flight was a 2 hour delay. They didn't notify us through the text program they have you sign up for, so we were at the airport for 4 hours. First we were told it was a rain delay in Las Vegas, then it was maintenance. When we boarded, the pilot said it was due to rain in Houston, Texas. Seems a little suspicious to me. We knew about all the cheap fares and bare fares about the airline. I had also flown this airline before and had not had a problem. Our flight was full on the way to Las Vegas. We felt packed in so tight to those seats. It was possibly the most uncomfortable flight I've ever flown and it was only 3 hours. On our return home, we found a way to print our tickets before getting to the airport. But, in the process, I tried to check us in via online and the website all of a sudden crashed. It took 2 hours to get the site back up. Finally we got them printed and just felt relieved to do that. All day we checked our flight time due to the fact that our first flight was delayed. It was actually set to arrive 15 mins earlier than planned, which was great and we had planned accordingly. We set up our transportation to the airport and as we were on our way the flight changed to a delay of 2 Hours again. We all felt defeated. We completely understand that there are some things that can't be fixed. But with the way it happened both times it seemed as though it was poor planning on Spirit's end. Why schedule a flight for 12am when you're really going to leave at 2am? Again 4 hours in an airport is no way to spend a vacation. The attendants at the airport for spirit were rude. On both ends. We will never fly Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Tameca Clifton    (USA)

Standard

I've flown Spirit a few times, the first time I flew was with my four children and I have to admit it was pretty smooth! I read ahead so I wasn't surprised with any additional fees and for the price, considering the flight was last minute it was an all around great deal. My most recent flight was just as good, I flew to Atlanta, again last minute. And it was great. I took advantage of the "bare fare". I will admit the flight attendants were a little crabby but hey for the price I'll take a little attitude. My next flight will most likely be Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by B Clay    (USA)

I traveled to Orlando, Florida last week from Dallas via Spirit Airlines. The round-trip flight was surprisingly wonderful despite my apprehension after reading so many negative reviews about Spirit. The flight attendants were friendly and welcoming, the airplane was large and seats were comfortable, both inbound and outbound flights departed and arrived on time. Having checked in my bag online and printed my boarding pass before I arrived at the airport, made the experience effortless when no additional costs. I am so glad I decided to give Spirit a chance instead of listening to the negativity. Wonderful experience and now Spirit will be my plane of choice going forward.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by H Eves    (Canada)

Standard

My husband and I took our five kids to Florida on Spirit Airlines. It was easy and excellent. It was super cost effective. We didn't have to pay for any carry-ons as our backpacks were accepted easily as our "personal item." All flights were on time. Planes were clean, seats were great for the short flight (3 hours) and all the staff there and back were friendly and helpful! Loved saving money and would absolutely fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by R DeCesare    (USA)

Standard

My wife and I had booked seats on a flight leaving Cancun Airport on Feb 21st with a connecting flight in Fort Lauderdale to LaGuardia Airport in NYC. This flight was delayed one hour in Cancun because of weather problems in Detroit. Delayed, we eventually reached Fort Lauderdale but had to clear customs. Presumably due to customs- related delays in Fort Lauderdale, the connecting flight to NYC took off, stranding 101 passengers. We were not given any official explanation as to why the connecting flight took off without us. We were advised to re-book our flights and were told that the soonest available seats were for Feb 24th (72 hours later). For Boston the lay-over was 96 hours with the soonest available seats on Feb 25th. There was no management representation at Fort Lauderdale and there was a justifiably angry group of stranded passengers. When asked about hotel accommodations we were advised to find our own and that there would be no compensation. When asked about assistance in locating seats on other airlines we were similarly advised that they wouldn't be able to assist us. Since my wife and I weren't able to wait the 72 hours we spent the night in the airport, trying to locate seats on an other carrier (which we knew would have to pay for). We got seats on a JetBlue flight the following morning paying the full, non-discounted fare, which was considerable. The major problem was the connecting flight not waiting for us to clear customs in Fort Lauderdale. Why would the flight not wait for 101 people? I've been flying for more than 40 years and had to wait on many an occasion for other passengers' connections and other reasons, which is par for the course. This was an extremely poor management decision which showed a complete disregard for Spirit Airlines' customers. This was then exacerbated by the lack of any meaningful assistance rendered on the ground. I realize that Spirit Airlines is a "discount (i.e., cheap) airline. However, any successful business knows that its fortunes rise or fall with its customer relations. If there was a "crewing" issue (not being able to hold airlines staff beyond a certain time) this should have been anticipated in the airlines normal operations plan with staff back-up in Fort Lauderdale-after all, this is the winter and, hence, presumably, Spirit Airlines' busy season. This was our first trip with Spirit. However, due to the airline's extremely poor management decision coupled with its complete lack of meaningful customer support, I could not possibly recommend this airline to anyone. In general, you get what you pay for, but even a discount carrier needs to appreciate its customers especially in difficult circumstances. By the way, I was going to discuss this matter on the phone with a customer services representative, but they kept me waiting for 45 minutes.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Carmelo Lemmo    (USA)

Big

Booked with Spirit for a Las Vegas trip. Was to leave Sunday 2/22/15 at 7:31 p.m. Checked in with airport 2 hrs before leaving Philadelphia (40 minute delay) checked again on the way to airport still 45 min. delay. Arrived at airport line was extensive at least forty people on line after waiting an hour in line, found out flight was canceled due to snow when there was no snow on ground. After an hour and waiting over another hour to get a taxi back home, people will still arriving hoping to take their flight to Vegas. Only to find it was delayed. Will never take or advise anyone to fly with Spirit poor management. Cost us over $100 dollars in cab service, not to mention aggravation we went through.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by S Cotton    (USA)

This is the first time I have flown on Spirit. The price published if very deceiving. It listed airfare round- trip from LAX to LAS as $152. By the time I pre-paid for one bag, selected by seat (purchasing the least expensive), the total cost was well over $220. It cost more to carry-on one bag than it did to check it. The seats are so cramped, that even a 10-year old would be uncomfortable. The seats on the plane do not recline. Had issues at the counter even though I did an early check-in. The weight limit for baggage is less than other airlines (40lbs vs 50lbs). I needed to delay my return flight and the additional cost to delay it by one week was $130 even though I had already prepaid for the baggage and seat, but only $56 to purchase another one way ticket. Of course, the baggage and seat cost would raise it to $100. What a rip-off! I have purchased a ticket on another airline and will forfeit my return ticket because I will never fly Spirit again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Pat McGahan    (USA)

Standard

Booked 10 months ahead, unable to check in online. Called and was assured we had guaranteed seats. Arrived and checked in at the desk, and went through to board. Told we had not seats. Only 2 out of 4 in our party were able to board after a long battle.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Daniel Glesby    (Canada)

Standard

FLL-MSP. I have never flown Spirit before but they were the only airline that had an evening FLL-MSP flight so I gave them a shot. Arrived at the airport about 2.5 hours in advance, good thing I did as the line was about 100 people long. I have never seen that before. They had about 8 counters open so it only took about 20 minutes. Prepaid my bag and my seat so no hassles in that regard. Was told that my gate was in the next terminal over so had to walk about 4 minutes to the other terminal, not a big deal as the exercise is good. Boarding was normal and left about 20 minutes late arrived on time. Seat was thin and hard as a rock and tray table was equally as bad. Flight attendants seemed pleasant enough. I live in Canada so I'll probably never have to use them again but might consider if I need to.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Jeffrey Valliere    (USA)

Standard

I have absolutely nothing to complain about on my first Spirit Airlines experience. I know the reputation of the airline, however on my trip I was impressed with the experience for the price I paid. I flew DFW-CLE round-trip just a few days after the route started. I took only a personal size item and made sure I followed all the rules to avoid extra fees. The trip cost me $68 round trip total out the door. Flights were on time, flight attendants were humorous and nice. I will say the experience was no worse than any other airline I have flown (I fly once every 1-2 months) and given the cost, may have been better. This route will allow me to visit family at home in CLE more often. I felt I needed to give credit where it was due given the majority of the reviews for Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Wendy Levenhagen    (USA)

We were traveling from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale and found what we thought was a good rate. But once we added luggage ($220) for three checked bags and 2 carry on's (which we later found out were personal bags that should not have been charged ($90). We asked for a refund which they refuse to do for luggage. Also, their weight limit is 40 lbs. where other airlines are 50 lbs. their website is suppose to look cute but instead it is very confusing and difficult to navigate or find numbers for customer service and get answers to questions.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by J Laird    (USA)

Standard

This is the worst airline I've ever flown with. After all the add ons for baggage ($ 35 for a carry on), seat assignments, boarding pass charges, etc., it cost more than other airlines. The seats were up against my knees (I'm not a large guy) and didn't recline. They even charged me $2 for a coffee. When my flight back to Boston was cancelled due to snow, they wouldn't work with me other than putting me on their plane four days later. Terrible airline. Do yourself a favor and don't fly with them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by K Jeff    (USA)

Standard

Having flown Spirit twice now, I can honestly say that some of the criticism is justified, but most of it is not. I flew to Dallas on Spirit out of Cleveland, which is a new market for Spirit. We actually bought our tickets at the airport to save the so-called "passenger usage fee." We did save that fee, but they charge you more to check your bag at the airport, even though we weren't taking our flight for another two months. So in the end, you do save some money, but probably not enough to justify a drive to the airport. It should also be noted that the people working the Spirit counter in CLE were pretty inept, and the "manager" at the counter seemed annoyed we would buy our tickets at the airport. There was one woman, though, who was very helpful, and tried her best to help us. Based on what I saw at the airport and online, most of Spirit's work staff is outsourced, and our experience makes for a pretty damning case against outsourcing. One step forward; two steps back. When we arrived at the airport for our flight, we had a "baggage drop" pass, since we had checked in online. This suggested that we would simply drop our bags off and go. Or that there was at least a separate line just for baggage drop. No such luck: We waited in line like everyone else. The only benefit is that the line was short. Another step back. The flight was delayed over an hour, though in fairness, much of the country was in the grip of a winter storm, and LOTS of airlines had delays. Now, for the flight itself: Much has been made about Spirit's filthy planes, non- existent legroom, and awful flight crew. I am 5'10", and while the legroom was tight, again, it was no worse than most other airlines. I will say that the seats are pretty thinly padded. The flight back was right on time, crew was even better. All of this came at a price that was well over $100 less than other carriers. And it was a direct flight. So there's the pay-off. I have the spirit to fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by D Bathke    (USA)

Big

I flew Spirit in Feb. with my daughter and her family. I paid for 2 big seats for my daughter and myself from Mpls to Chicago and back again from Chicago to Mpls. When we returned from our cruise my daughter went on line and saw they gave her big seat away. I reserved and paid for those seat a month in advance. How could Spirit just give them to someone else and give her a different seat? I will never fly Spirit again, nor would I recommend Spirit to anyone. They nickle and dime you to death. You must pay $60. for one checked bag and it must be under 40 pounds. You have to pay for water, soda and a simple snack. You get nothing for free.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Roberts Sam    (USA)

Standard

Don't be fooled by the cheap price. You get exactly what you paid for: poor customer service and travel headaches. Do yourself a favor pay little bit more and fly with a regular airline. Spirit is a gotcha airline. They lure you in with the initial cheap price and then they try to screw you in any way that they can with extra charge for carry-on and seat assignment.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Price Kristin    (USA)

Standard

Upon arriving at Myrtle Beach airport my Spirit flight was still scheduled and "on time" per the Spirit flight tracker on their website. I had pre-printed my boarding pass so I continued through security. After going through security, I saw on the flight board that my Spirit flight had been canceled. When I approached the gate where my flight should have been starting to board, there was no one there. Not even a Spirit employee who could answer my question, where is the plane and why is it canceled? I had to go back to the check-in desk to see what was going on. Everyone on that flight was standing in line as well, waiting to see when the next plane would be there. After waiting for 45 minutes to talk to a customer service rep, I was told that the next flight available would not be for 2 days. I asked why it was abruptly canceled and they kept saying "weather". Even though it was sunny in both my departing city and arrival city. I ended up canceling my flight with Spirit and getting my money back. I booked my flight home with another airlines that could get me home the next day. I will never fly Spirit again, and I strongly advise anyone from flying with this company. They do not have reasoning for their random canceled flights and extreme delays in re-booking.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by B Barth    (USA)

Standard

On day 2 sitting in the airport trying to get home after spirit canceled my flight and left me hanging. Will cost me $1000 to finish my travel. Be very careful when you pick your discount flights. I will take my business elsewhere. In fact I nor my family would fly spirit for free.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Manuel F Jaramillo    (USA)

Big

Flew from Armenia, Colombia, to Dallas TX. First leg of the flight was late for no reason. They resold the second leg even when I was actually on time. They just assumed I would be late. They gave me invalid hotel vouchers and left me stranded in the hotel lobby. I had to pay the room by myself. Also, I paid extra for the big seats, and I got a regular seat because they changed the plane and the new one did not have enough big seats.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by A Poli    (USA)

Standard

I will never use Spirit again. The little bit, and I do mean little bit that I saved was not worth it. My flight to Fort Lauderdale was delayed three hours because another Spirit plane that was broken down was blocking our gate. No updates were given beforehand so I was at the airport for five hours before we left. That is not fun with two small children! You would think that they might offer us a complimentary glass of water for that hassle, but they did not. Nothing at all! I was lucky, but some other passengers had no rental car when we got to the airport because of our late arrival! The saga continues for my return flight. We were sitting on the plane for a half hour before we took off due to "high traffic" in LaGuardia airport. What is that about? Then we arrive in NY and the pilot tells us, "when it rains it pours" and informs us that there is a gate door malfunction and we must wait for a power source. That and waiting for our bags took another hour. The stress was not worth the tiny savings. With all the extra fees, uncomfortable seats, and poor service I saved nothing. Do yourself a favor and don't use Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Anthony Broadus    (USA)

Standard

7/24, Baltimore to Bogota - flight 301 via Ft. Lauderdale - Flight 807. 9/2. Bogota to Baltimore - flight 400 via Ft. Lauderdale - Flight 240. I've never flown a budget airline before. Didn't even know it was a budget airline when I booked through Orbitz until a friend told me the reason why it was so inexpensive. Lucky for me, I am experienced traveller and I always pack light. My flight was from Baltimore to Bogota, Colombia (via Miami). These were short flights. All flights departed on and arrived time, planes were clean, crew and pilots were as professional as any other U.S. major airlines with a savings of nearly $250. Yes, I'll take $250 instead of a bag of peanuts, coke and unassigned seats. I got window seats as requested. I forgot to print my boarding pass when leaving Colombia; fortunately for me Colombia doesn't allow pre-printed boarding pass so everyone had to wait in this long line to get their tickets - which didn't bother me because I knew I would catch my flight because there was no way they were going to take off with 75% of passenger at the ticket counter - with all that, we still departed on time.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Robert Vazzo    (USA)

Standard

I flew from LAS-LAX on 2/12 for $20.10, and it was a great flight. First, you can save yourself the $17.99 (each way) Passenger Usage Fee (PUF) by purchasing your ticket in advance at the airport. The agent who sold me the ticket was very nice and even reserved a seat assignment for me at no extra charge. I took a personal item that meets their requirement, so I didn't have to pay to check any bags. My flight was 15 minutes late, but the captain made up for it, so we arrived in LAX well before the scheduled arrival time. I didn't buy any beverages because it's only a 40-minute flight. The flight attendants and staff were friendly and helpful. Let's face it: I can't even take a bus for $20.10!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by K Price    (USA)

Standard

Flying from Chicago to South Carolina. Flight was delayed 75 minutes. We sat on the plane without receiving any updates to what was taking so long for take off. We were then informed the plane would need to be de-iced. 45 minutes later we were finally ready to take off. I will never fly Spirit Airlines again. Poor service and not worth the hassle. We could have driven to our destination quicker than our time spent at the airport and waiting on the plane.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by E Brookins    (USA)

Standard

Hidden fees all over the place. I could have flown 1st class somewhere else and been far happier and a lot more comfortable after all the hidden fees. $10 to print your boarding pass, $50 per carry on (it says 1 is included) however, their carry on size is far smaller then every other airline we've traveled with. Staff in Fort Lauderdale airport were rude, from ticketing counter to the gate attendant.Would you like a soda on board? That'll be another $3.00. Our seats on the plane were similar to sitting on concrete. We also had to pay an additional fee to sit in the emergency exit row. We had 4 flight attendants on board not sure why, hardly anyone purchased drinks. They mainly stood in the front of the plane talking about their personal affairs. Myself and my husband were so disappointed in this airline, we would not recommend it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by S Borkowski    (USA)

Standard

LAS-ORD, Nov 15, 2014. ORD-MSY, Jan 14, 2014. MSY-ORD, Jan 17, 2014. Some people are just ruthless. Yes, you pay for everything, but even then it is probably still cheaper than a traditional airline. A simple google of their additional fees (such as their baggage fees, carryon fees, printed ticket feeds, etc.) and you will see them. Many flight delays and cancellations are not even controlled by the airline. I have flown them twice so far and it was uneventful. A situation arose in which I had to cancel two of my flights. Their cancellation fees are crazy (something like 130 bucks each booking), and the rest is credited to your account. Well instead of cancelling the flight instantly like so many people do, I waited a couple of weeks closer to the date. Sure enough they changed the flight time of my flight by only 15 minutes, which allowed me to cancel my flight at no charge, and receive a full flight credit back to be used on future air travel. I used my two round-trip tickets from Fort Myers to Chicago, and on a 50 dollar off promotion day, was able to book four total round-trip flights for only 15 bucks more (wanted a better flight time). I would have never been able to book like that on other airlines. Oh, and the round-trip flights that came from that, uneventful, on-time, sometimes early, and on a nearly empty plane. This airline is not for you if you struggle to read what the cost of everything is, and expect 5 star service. There is a reason this airline charges a "bare fare" because you are paying for you and a small bag, not a small army. I have flown major carriers many times that incur huge delays and cancellations, too. I understand the inconvenience that a delay or cancellation may cause, but sometimes it is a part of flying. Everyone is so adamant about "no cancellation fees" or free baggage when I saved over 200 bucks round-trip to the same destination nearly months apart on everyone's seemingly favorite airline that starts with an S (not Spirit). Yes, you get what you pay for, and if you want to pay more for no baggage fees, no cancellation fees, no boarding ticket printing fees, no carryon fees, no drink fees, etc. then pay for those items upfront like you do on other airlines. Me, on the other hand, I enjoy flying on an airline that charges me far less than other airlines and I can take twice as many trips with a little carryon than other airlines with a couple huge "free" bags and a little more leg room. At least Spirit charges by the item, and doesn't group them all together like other airlines. If it costs you more to fly on Spirit than other airlines, it is, dare I say it, probably your own responsibility. Nobody wants to take accountability for not reading these fees, and that just doesn't fly with me. I had to cancel my flights knowing when I booked that if I did have to, I would have to pay for it. And I did, on one of them. Plain and simple, just read, and if you want a cancellation security blanket to tuck you in at night, then please use another airline. Some of the delays and cancellations will happen on those airlines, too.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by J Jelincic    (USA)

Big

My wife and I flew Spirit the other night from Cleveland to Las Vegas. This is a new route for the airline. We bought two Big Front seats for cheap and it allowed us to have basically a business class seat compared to other airlines. Our flight left on time and arrived on time! I could not have been happier. I am glad Spirit is expanding in Cleveland since United has cut flights and charges too much for tickets. Make sure you understand the bag charges and pay for them if you can before you leave your house. Otherwise it will cost more at the airport. Some people complain that Spirit "nickels and dimes" customers but that is not how I see it. It is more like "a la carte" style where you pay for what you want. I highly recommend flying this airline!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Garza Dawn    (USA)

Big

This is not the first time I have flown on Spirit. We feel that their on going value pricing is deceitful, unreasonable and unfair. Bags should not cost $100 to check if you have to check them at the last minute. Situations come up during travels, not everything can be planned so nicely. Your seats, both regular and "big" are very uncomfortable. I have ridden in both. No seats on the plane recline and are thinly cushioned. The check-in procedures and policy to charge at the counter is unreasonable. Issues, and/or availability to a computer or smart phone can often change, the passenger should not be expected to incur expenses because of it. I was unable to confirm the purchase of seats for the person I made a reservation with, because they did not have an email account. I feel like they intentionally avoid giving important, specific information.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by J Senick    (USA)

Standard

It's 10.50pm. Sitting in Philadelphia waiting for the 8.50pm flight to Dallas. Latest guess from Spirit is 11.41pm. Why? Don't know and they aren't talking.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by R Gecko    (USA)

Standard

I travel Spirit a lot between Ft. Myers and Dallas in the winter to visit my girlfriend. Cheap tickets! If you go to the airport they are even cheaper than buying online 99.9% of the time. It even says on the bottom of the website, tickets may be cheaper at the airport! I have a round trip ticket to go this weekend for $30.22. I fly a lot this way, check your price online then if close run to your airport and get your ticket. I travel with my allowed small bag with no fee, and bring my own drinks! FYI for all you frequent travelers, if you take your water bottle or other drink and freeze it you can take it through TSA as it's a solid and not a liquid, I never pay $3-$4 for a bottle of water at the airport! Yes, seats are not roomy, but it's only 2 hours or so to get there, some times at the airport they even ask you what seat you want to get with no charge if they are 'nice', I got 7A for tomorrow's flight! Have flown several times this year and no problems!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by M Clark    (USA)

Standard

I just recently traveled to Ft. Lauderdale from Latrobe, PA. The flight back to Latrobe was cancelled due to weather. I understood the cancellation due to weather, but the way the cancellation was handled was unbelievable. First it was cancelled 15 minutes before boarding time, and the only way I knew that was because the people that were sitting next to me started to panic! We had to go retrieve our baggage, then we stood in line forever only to be told that the next flight out would not be until the following Thursday! When asked if they could check in to other available airlines they said "well JetBlue has some flights to Pittsburgh but I am only telling you this as a courtesy"!! They would do absolutely nothing to help you out and Pittsburgh was an hour and a half away from Latrobe. It was the worst experience I have had and I fly a lot. I read some comments and people stated "well, you get what you pay for". My flight was not cheap, it was almost $300. That is not cheap. They nickel and dime you every way they can. I ended up going to US Airways and they handled my situation with courtesy and the flight was reasonable for one way. Spirit needs to learn about customer service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by S Palma    (USA)

Standard

I was flying from FTL to LGA with about 5 other people. Upon arrival we came across one of the reps that led to the baggage drop off line, her attitude was out of this world! I have never met anyone so miserable and rude. Once we got up to the desk we were told our flight was delayed but all the screens showed on time. we spoke to 7 different people and all gave us different answers, different times, even cancellations. Absolutely no one knew what was going on. Staff on board was also very rude! Not to mention how dirty and uncomfortable the plane was!! Needless to say I will never travel with this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 February 2015 by M Donfack    (USA)

Standard

Traveled from Baltimore MD to Dallas TX on January 22 and return on January 27. The ticket was so cheap ($89 dollars), I could not believe I was going to board the plane without paying extra. I was very careful during the booking online because there are lot of options that add money to the ticket (seat selection, checking luggage etc..) but everything is on the website. The flight was on time. I missed my return flight from DFW, the lady at the counter was very nice and managed to put me on a different flight with a connection to Chicago (at no extra charge) and I finally arrived in Baltimore at 11.45pm. I would recommend you give Spirit a try.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by J Fakete    (USA)

Standard

Our family of four flew round-trip from Atlantic City to Orlando for $460. It was a great deal. We read the fine print, each packed a small bag for 2 nights [so no baggage fees] and snacks [so no refreshment fees]. Our flight to Orlando was flawless, on time and as promised. One of our family was in a wheelchair, and was accommodated politely, professionally and without incident. Our return flight was scheduled to leave Orlando at the height of the predicted 'Storm of Historic Proportion', but we were able to change our seats to an earlier flight for no charge [Weather Buster policy]. That departure was delayed about 3 hours due to the late arrival from AC [weather related] of our plane, and time it took to inspect it before boarding was allowed. We were the last plane out before everything on the East Coast closed down and all flights were cancelled. Despite 60 mph wind gusts and storm warnings our pilot got us to our destination safely and made a smooth landing. The plane was full of fussy children, but that is to be expected on a flight to/from The Happiest Place on Earth. The seats were small, but sufficient. The fees are annoying, but clearly posted and explained on their website. Our experience w/Spirit Airline was excellent, from customer service, both telephone and in person] to flight. Anyone who reads the fine print should not have any problem, in my opinion. We will definitely consider flying Spirit again on future short trips.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by Edith Collins    (USA)

Standard

My husband and I flew round trip from Boston, MA to West Palm Beach, FLA. Return leg worked very well because we requested aisle seats which gave him a little more leg room. He is 6ft tall and was extremely uncomfortable in a middle seat going down. Coming home a very pleasant Spirit check in person suggested 2 aisle seats. I would definitely fly Spirit again. Didn't buy any extras because they were unnecessary. It was only a 3 hr. flight. We barely beat a blizzard into Boston by an hour or two.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by Rita Okpalanma    (USA)

Standard

Took Spirit from LGA to Myrtle beach SC. On coming back, got to the airport at 9am, flight was for 12.30pm. They kept us in the airport until 11 pm and then decided to cancel the flight. They have no flights for another 4 days. I had to drive from SC to New York on a rented car. I will never take Spirit again. The customer service is the worst in the whole industry. They are rude, unprofessional and disorganized. Yes, refund was issued for the cancelled flight, but nothing said about the inconveniences. They charged for everything even your little carryon.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by R Garcia    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit because I was travelling with a group and they wanted to fly cheaply, we flew from Ft. Lauderdale to Denver, the tickets were cheap alright but they charge you extra for every little thing that you will be much better off getting a great fare from a regular airline. If you add baggage in the airport instead of online, there is an extra $20 surcharge, so our two luggage already an extra $50 for 2 bags became $90 dollars. Secondly, my daughter wanted to sit by her friends after all that was part of a group experience, I had to pay an extra $20 and no you cannot just request a seat assignment like normal airlines. The worst insult was that I paid an extra $25 dollars for sitting in the Exit Row but you know what I could have got it for free if you complained hard enough to the steward that your legs were too long and you would like an exit row seat. So the guy across the aisle from me got an extra seat for with nobody next to them for whining. If you want to fly this airline be obnoxious and you may get what you want for free, otherwise if you are a normal person don't bother, your whole back will just ache because the seat will not recline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 January 2015 by N Antakli    (USA)

Standard

NY LGA - Fort Lauderdale - Cartagena on 12/19/14. Cartagena - Fort Lauderdale - NY LGA on 01/05/14. Spirit Airlines possibly is the worst airline out there! Pretending to be cheap just to rip you off once you buy the ticket! They even charge $10 for printing your boarding pass if you do it at the airport at the counter. Soon they will charge for restroom use as well it would not surprise me. Their customer service is the most annoying in the world.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 January 2015 by Gert Ungerer    (South Africa)

Big

Jan 7 201, Los Angeles (LAX) - Chicago O'Hare (ORD). Chicago O'Hare (ORD) - Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL). You get what you pay for - that would have been good but no at Spirit you don't even get what you paid for and the rudest most unfriendly staff of any airline. I paid for extra leg room upgraded seat on a flight from LA to Ft Lauderdale very nice but they only supplied the seats from LA to Chicago and when we changed planes we were supposed to pay again and they gave us normal seats. Next time calculate all the cost and you will find for a few Dollars more you can fly in a total different class with most other airlines. This airline can only be described as Absolutely Terrible.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2015 by Nicole Picotte    (USA)

Standard

My fiancé and I recently traveled to Jamaica in January on Spirit Airlines. Avoid this airline at all costs. They have you believing you are saving money when you book your flight, but then they charge you an outrageous amount for checked bags, carry-ons, and water-yes, they charge you for water. Absolutely absurd. They also pack you in like sardines. There is absolutely no leg room at all. Oh, and their customer service is a joke. I was on the phone with a robot for like 45 minutes before I even got through to a real person. And even when I got through they were of no help whatsoever. You can't pay me enough money to fly with this airline again. Like I have already said, avoid at all costs!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2015 by S Hammel    (USA)

Standard

The seats are very crowded, if you are over 5'10" forget it. We waited 1 hour on the tarmac for another bay to empty after landing. Once we finally got off the plane we waited over an hour for our luggage to be delivered to the trolley and then they put it on the wrong one. Someone just happened to notice everyone's luggage two bays away. The airline staff wouldn't even let me use the bathroom while waiting on the tarmac for one hour!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2015 by V Ugarte    (USA)

Standard

I think this airline pretends to be cheaper but it is actually not. They charge you for your luggage (even for the carry-on), some of the seats cannot even be reclined, and they charge you for the cheapest snacks and drinks. I traveled to Costa Rica and the flight times were very bad. I had to pay a hotel in order to take my connecting flight the next day. In the end, I spent the same I would have spent in another airline for a worse service (and more inconveniences). I am not going to use Spirit anymore.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2015 by Mark Baron    (USA)

Standard

I will never fly Spirit again! Don't be fooled by their cheap rates. I can't believe how they nickel and dime you. It would have been cheaper to fly Delta and feel a little more comfort. Spirits new seats give you a little more leg room but are so uncomfortable. Made from formed plastic, can't recline and not a whole lot of cushion. When checking the bags in Tampa, the lines were long for fast bag drop off. It took an hour to get through that line. The counter person was courteous but complained about working too many hours and just wanted to go home. Flying back into Detroit, we ended up waiting for a gate to open for over an hour and half. I don't know why we could not have used another gate temporarily to at least get off the plane. Then the stewardess asked people that were not transferring to let some transfers go first. Well everyone decided they were a transfer because they just wanted off the airplane. Then, waiting for our bags was another story! We waited for over an 1 hour and half for the bags. People were getting angry and asking Spirit personnel what going on and all they could say was there were 7 planes arriving all at the same time, and then they closed the door. After waiting all this time the bags showed up on another carousel without even notifying anyone. Our ride waited 3 hours for us to get out of the airport. Other carriers were able to get in and get their customers out on a timely basis. Why can't Spirit?

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2015 by P Ginter    (USA)

Standard

On 12/24 and 1/10, four adults flew round trip from Los Angeles to Guatemala via Ft. Lauderdale. There were no surprises. All flights arrived on time or a little early. We saved at least $250/per round-trip ticket. Seats are cramped and me at 6'3" did take advantage of the aisle seat to stretch out-especially on the Florida to California leg. The newer planes have seats that don't recline-which I appreciate-but the older planes' seats do recline a few inches. Even though we had pre-printed boarding passes on the return flight from Guatemala to Los Angeles-we were issued new boarding passes. So I am thinking that the rule about printing the passes to avoid the $10/ticket fee does not apply to the flights originating in a foreign country. This should be clarified so those passengers don't fret the printing process which can be difficult in a foreign land.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Terri Keyes    (USA)

Standard

My family flew from Detroit to Miami and the flight was great. We had some connecting flights and all were on time with no delays. Staff were friendly and helpful. Read the fine print on the website and there will be no surprises. We were allowed to carry on one piece (personal luggage) that will fit under the seat. We used a backpack and a large handbag and had no problems. We printed our boarding pass at home and then at our hotel on the way back (free). Everything worked out fine and I would definitely fly Spirit again. I flew Delta last spring and it was a nightmare. Read the fine print and get to the airport early.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Charlie Leedle    (USA)

Standard

We will never fly spirit airlines because of the way we were treated. They bumped us from our flight saying we were late to the gate and then plane was running late and they still wouldn't let us on. On the bumped plane they were an hour and a half late leaving, but that's ok. On the return flight we were running an hour late due to a flight attendant running late. This was a horrible experience. Never again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by P Matijevich    (USA)

Standard

Going to my destination was not the problem, we boarded on time and made it safe to our destination, its coming home that was the issue. I arrived at the airport at 6am. on January 3 2015 which was a Saturday and was rudely informed by one of the Spirit attendants that my flight was going to be delayed until 10.30 that night. My flight was suppose to leave at 2.37 that afternoon but I was stuck at the airport for 17 hours. I had asked if I could possibly transfer to another flight. Well, she was no help. I was told that this delay was due to a broken down airplane - that was just one of the excuses they gave me. The only thing I was given was 2 meal vouchers of 7 dollars each. After sitting there for 17 hours, we finally boarded the plane, only to be stuck behind a group of screaming children. The plane landed at 2.30 in the morning on January 4, 2015 a Sunday. Overall, I will never recommend going on any Spirit flight ever again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by S Gaffney    (USA)

Standard

You do not get what you paid for - you get less. Our flight from Ft Lauderdale to LaGuardia was cancelled (with no advance notice), and they could not get us on a direct flight until four days later. They could get us on a non-direct flight (flying Lauderdale to Tampa to Detroit to NYC) but with an overnight (no hotel compensation) - the only compensation they offered for the four day wait was a 30% discount voucher for a hotel - we went over to Jet Blue and were treated well. My husband's brother was to fly on Spirit the day after us on the same route - we called him to let him know of our trouble, he, in turn, called Spirit to confirm that the next day flight was still scheduled and they assured him it was. Needless to say, the day after our problem with the airline, my brother-in-law showed up for his flight, which was also cancelled with no advance warning. Finally - the credit they give you is only partial! Needless to say, none of us will fly this airline again. P.S. Regarding the rating of Spirit - I would choose 0 if it were an option.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by L Hadfield    (USA)

Standard

The seats were small and uncomfortable. The low ticket price lures you in, but after you pay the outrageous baggage fees (including carry on baggage fees), you could've just spent a little bit more to fly on a better airline. You are not even given a complimentary drink (including water).

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by G Fain    (Israel)

Standard

Flight: 197, 6 Jan 2015. Flight: 174, 9 Jan 2015. LGA-FLL, FLL-LGA. The first flight was delayed by an hour due to the fact they decided to de-ice in the last minute. This is a safety must as I know, but they could do it sooner since there was almost no snow and no rain or hail at all. The 2nd time the delay was 3 hours. During the wait the announcement claimed that the reason is ATC delay. Eventually we found out from the gate agents that the Aircraft we were meant to fly on has arrived an hour and a half after the designated departure time. At that, boarding has started after 35 minutes, resulting in another delay. At both flights there were no staff members who spoke good English. On the 2nd one they barely spoke any English.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Anne Sandstrom    (USA)

Standard

Will not fly Spirit again. Not worth it. We (4 of us) just flew Spirit Jan 1st 2015 to Florida and back on the 10th. Cheap? Nothing about Spirit Airlines is cheap. It might look cheap compared to other flights but if you add in your luggage costs your not cheap. If you don't look into it and read the fine print you will be charged for everything including your carry on! We knew we had to pay for luggage but when told we can pay for luggage at check in we were unaware of the increase amount per luggage you would be charged. Also, you would have to pay extra to reserve a seat, isn't that what your tickets are for? Nope, you get what's left over unless you pay extra. Carry on in unable to fit under seat, you pay and that's more than your actual luggage cost! Seats tight fitting, no reclining seats, which is fine as with hardly any room to begin with if someone reclined you'd be pinned! Lets not forget no more peanuts or pretzels and a water or soft drink, if you want it bring it on with you or pay their prices! We would have probably saved money had we went with another airline when its all said and done.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Corey Sealy    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines is actually not the cheapest airlines. At the point of ticket purchase, you may think that you have saved $20, but think again. You will charged $50 for your carry-on item each way, so that's $100 extra dollars spent. Their customer service is horrible, even in person at the airport. Lastly, don't even think to reschedule your flight, because that will cost you over $120+. Not to mention the fact that their aircraft's seating is comparable to lawn chairs, with leg room comfortable for anyone under the height of 5'6".

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Eric Prince    (Canada)

Standard

I have used Spirit Airlines often over the last 3 years and am very happy with the company. I go from Plattsburgh to Fort Lauderdale as often as I can and am really happy that I can book trips for as cheap as Spirit puts them on for. I have booked trips this winter in September, October, November, December, January and February and all of the return flights have cost me $46.10 each. The plane is an airbus 300 and you feel like you are on a bus. There are no extras,t he seats are tight and do not recline but the flight is direct and I manage to bring my own extras as snacks and water and save on the cost of the flight. Instead of having a more comfortable seat with a free drink and a stop over along the way,I get there faster and put the 250 dollars I save on each trip towards lots more fun when I get there. They provide exactly what I want so I hope they do not change.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by L Hadfield    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Josephine Salemi    (USA)

Standard

This airline is unpredictable and unreliable, having worked in the hospitality service, I am astonished with the lack of communication and lack of helpfulness the staff provided. Once arriving from an international flight that departed late because of Spirit, the staff knew we were in the airport and did nothing to assist with getting on the flight even though it was clear that the flight left late and arrived late due to Spirit. The staff said quote "Run" when I asked for help in attempting to make my flight. Needless to say I will be arriving at my final destination with a bus 40 minute bus ride, and another layover and no financial compensation for this disaster. The flight itself was uncomfortable, had no provided entertainment, no snack or beverage and if a consumer wanted to purchase food or beverage it was told that cash was not acceptable and only could take credit cards. The pilot announced decent early with another 25 minutes in the air, exciting all passengers that needed to arrive on time to catch another flight. Spirit is not a comfortable or acceptable was to travel if you need to get where your going.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by John Ebersole    (USA)

Standard

We flew from DFW to Ft Myers on Dec 27 and back on Jan 3. I bought 6 tickets and after checking other airlines Spirit was so much less expensive so I decided to give them a try. I was a little worried after reading some poor reviews online but I have to say that the entire experience from check in to landing was excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful both in Dallas and Ft Myers, the flights were on time and the landings were some of the smoothest I've experienced. We prepaid for our checked luggage and printed boarding passes before we got to the airport so we didn't encounter any unexpected charges. No the seats don't recline but I really hate it when the person in front of me lays their seat down into my space so that is a plus for me. Yes I had to pay for drinks on the flight but since I saved approximately $2000 on the tickets I didn't mind too much. I recommend using this airline anytime but review the website before you go. They are upfront about all the additional charges but you have to read the information.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by N Cee    (USA)

Standard

First and last time flying Spirit, 1/2/15 - 1/5/15. 1) The bag dimensions I was given on the phone were smaller than the actual bin they have at the airport to double check. The luggage I was using was 2 inches larger so I stuffed everything into a small duffle bag. 2) Flight was delayed 4x due to "crew problem". I arrived in Tampa 4 hours later than scheduled and it took 2 more hours to get to our hotel because I had to keep calling and rescheduling the shuttle. We lost 1 full day of our short 3.5 day vacation because of Spirit. They offered no credit at all. 3) Flight going back to Chicago delayed an hour for no reason. They kept switching gates between A16 and A17 and people were so confused we all stood there looking at each other. Someone going to Dallas boarded the Chicago flight in the confusion and they had to run after him. Once we were on the plane, we had no pilots! When they finally showed up, they explained over the intercom that they had just flown the plane in the next gate in from Detroit and they thought they were flying it back to Detroit. I think we left 30 minutes after our delay time. At this point I am glad I arrived in one piece. If they had offered some small piece of something to show they cared, maybe I would consider flying them again, but absolutely not. If they gave me a free round trip I wouldn't accept.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Elisa Shafer    (USA)

Standard

They suck you in with cheap ticket prices, but then ravage you with extra charges and fees. The extras fees for us totalled $150! $40 per early checked bag (If we had checked in at the airport it would have been $100 per bag, and $10 per person. Oh and a carry-on would have been another $100.) Plus their weight limit is 40lbs, so if your bag is over that, it'll be an additional $25. Also, if you don't pay the $100 for a carry on to go in the overhead bin, they won't let you stow it up there, because it's reserved for those who did pay. Then we had to pay for our seats, which would be free if we were ok with random chance seating. Also because we had to take a connecting flight, we had to pay for seats on both planes. Then icing on the cake the regular $20 in taxes and fees. It should be considered fraud! In my opinion, if you want a no frills airline to save some money, check out Allegiant. They do it right. The way Spirit does it, by the time you're done with all their extra fees they're no cheaper than anyone else. Allegiant still keeps it cheap, despite the extra fees they charge. We paid the $18 for the "Big" seats, but when we boarded the plane, the ones we had chosen/paid for didn't even exist. They were just regular seats! The plane layout their website had given us to choose seats on was wrong!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Fleury Markos    (USA)

Granted, the prices are cheap, but you will more than likely be disappointed. My brother and I had a reservation to fly to New York from Ft. Lauderdale, and the flight was canceled, not delayed, but canceled due to "bad weather" and "air traffic." All weather updates displayed sunny weather at 20°+ temperature. All other airlines were still on track to fly to New York except for Spirit airlines. No attendant could explain as to this specific airline can't fly. All flights to New York were canceled for 4 days all due to again "bad weather" and "air traffic." As an added bonus, refunds take about 7-10 business days. Even if you were able to book another flight with a different airline, you possibly wouldn't be receiving your money back for anther two weeks. Spirit airlines is known for having many delays. Don't fall for the cheap prices. Save your time and money.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards