Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Read Spirit Airlines Passenger Reviews and Spirit Airlines customer trip Reports

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  12 August 2014 by S Tarvis    (USA)

Standard

Worst airline! 2 hour delay leaving Houston, arrived in Vegas at almost 2 am and still had to wait almost 30 minutes before bags were available. Horrible, very inconsiderate of customers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by R Palmer    (USA)

Standard

This airline offers a low teaser rate and then overcharges the naive 1st time flyer by various deceptive means. They are trying to stick me with a charge of $295 for a trip I could have made on any reputable airline for $180. I was socked $50 for carry on at airport but told by agent If I had prepaid it would have been less. The night before my return, I tried to register on their site and had to pay $36 for baggage, +fee for boarding pass, $9.00 membership fee. Flight was hr late coming and 30 mins late on return. I would never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by K Strouthopoulos    (USA)

Standard

We booked a flight from Ft. Lauderdale to La Guardia and arrived an hour early. We tried to check in using the self serve kiosk which malfunctioned 3 times. When it finally took our information, it printed a time stamped slip that said we needed to see an agent. Our slip was time stamped at 6.20 am and our flight departed at 7.04 am. When we finally found an attendant she was not helpful, rude and directed us to a long line of angry customers. After waiting in line, the agent informed us that Spirit "closes" flights 45 minutes prior to departure and that our time stamped slip was 1 minute past their "cut off". We explained that the kiosks had malfunctioned 3 times, causing our delay and that we had arrived an hour early. She had absolutely no regard for our situation, was extremely rude and unwilling to take any responsibility for their equipment causing our delays. We asked for a supervisor which took 40 minutes. The supervisor told us the best she could do was charge us well over $200 more per ticket to book us on the next flight, almost 6 hrs later! We couldn't wait the six hours, and asked for a refund, when told that other airlines had earlier flights. We went to JetBlue, where we had a completely different experience as soon as we walked in. They were extremely friendly, apologized for our experience (which Spirit never did) and booked us on an earlier flight. Due to the situation and having to book new flights at the last minute, prices were much higher than if we would have just booked with them to begin with. If you're considering this airline because of the attractive pricing, believe me it's not worth the hassle!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by J Pluth    (USA)

Standard

Worst experience I've had with an airline. I thought I was getting a good deal for price, but did not expect to be charged for carry-on's, $50 a piece! So in the end flight is not cheaper than other airlines. In addition flight was cancelled in Chicago (flying from Oakland CA to Mlps, MN). I ended up driving with 3 others on the Spirit flight from Chicago to MINN. We were told they would reimburse leg we did not take but have not heard anything from them regarding this and its been a week! Now waiting for my return flight home and both planes have been delayed (out of MN and Chicago) and likely I will be stuck in Chicago again. Would never take this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  12 August 2014 by S Taylor    (USA)

Standard

I have absolutely no intentions of flying with Spirit Airlines in the future. Yes the price was much better than other airlines however, the overall trip was not worth it. I should have changed my mind after I saw their website. It looked like something my 2nd grader did for a class project. The site did not include a phone number either. I had to get the number through CheapoAir which is the site through which I booked the trip. The seats did not recline (not even an inch). Those 'big seats' they mention are only a little larger than the average seat. The food selection was very limited and costly ($3 for water). $50 for checked or carry-on (yes, you have to pay for a carry-on). This is $50 both ways. I will admit the crew were very funny and nice. But not funny enough to get me to fly with them again. By the way, my trip was from Philadelphia to Dallas.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by S Ashary    (USA)

Standard

By far, the worst flight experience I ever had. The service was terrible. The seats are great if you are no bigger than 3 by 2 feet. It was so uncomfortable, I am 5"6 and I barely had any leg room, I could barely fit a purse between my legs. Good airlines at least give complimentary drinks, we had to pay 3 dollars for a mini water bottle! There were no magazines and my row did not get sick bags. The worst however is that Spirit only allows you to bring one carry on, and any extra will be an extra charge of 100 dollars on the spot! The ticket price was only a bit cheaper than others, but the quality was a huge difference, everything looked like it was much cheaper!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by S Bradley    (Canada)

We have flown Spirit out of Detroit to Florida (several cities) in the past and have had good experiences. I totally understand why they charge for carry-ons because too many people bring oversized bags and hog the overhead bins. Spirit doesn't charge for Personal bags (smaller than a carry-on) and you can get more than enough in a personal bag. The night before our flight we picked our seats online and check 1 large bag for 3 of us. The people who show up at the airport unprepared should only be angry at themselves. We have priced other airlines and even with seat selection and luggage fees Spirit still comes out on top. The check-in staff and boarding staff have all been friendly and helpful too.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by R Zeldis    (USA)

Standard

I have flown Spirit for many years, always taking my handbag and a small backpack on board. This was never a problem. On a recent trip I was told that my handbag was a separate item and that there would be a charge of $50 to take my backpack (or handbag!) on the plane. Enough with the nickel and diming! I will never fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by I Greenberg    (USA)

Standard

Like everyone else we read the horrible reviews and were anxious, but money is money and the safety record seemed fine. We also read the small print and did all we could to minimize additional expenses - pre-paid for baggage, printed boarding passes, didn't pay for seat selection. We flew R/T DFW to LAX. Everything about the experience was FAR above our very low expectations. Flight to LAX on-time, with no additional fees. Flight back was 19 minutes delayed, but everything else was spot-on. We also saved hundreds of dollars.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by J Geck    (USA)

Standard

I have flown on Spirit 4 times now. Mostly from San Diego to Portland because that is where my family lives. I am lucky that this route is one of the cheapest routes Spirit has. I have had no complaints or issues with Spirit. Excellent Customer service and friendly staff. On 1 trip I took my step mom and we required a wheelchair. The gate person gave us a free upgrade to a bigger seat for my mom. I think the biggest complaint is listening to complaining customers who did not read the website details. I guess that is why they build a new website in simple cartoon looking format.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Kelly Vandenbroek    (Canada)

Standard

We have travelled on Spirit over 3 dozen times, Myrtle Beach, California, NYC, Florida, and have had no issues, service was great, flight on time and flights were smooth, no issues so easy for us. We live in Ontario and the DTW is 2 hours away, much easier and cheaper than flying from Toronto.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by F Fan    (USA)

Standard

Flight #310 - LAX to Ft. Lauderdale, 8/2/14. If I could give them 0/10 I would. Simply awful airline. There is a reason they are this cheap. Terrible, incompetent personnel. They don't care about their customers. Made is sit in the airport for over 10 hours, then cancelled the follow on flight. Refused to pay for our accommodation, then nickel and dimed us for even the cab to a hotel.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by V Deveny    (USA)

Standard

I booked a trip with Spirit because of the price and then read the reviews and was very scared. I couldn't have been more happily surprised! Our trip was completely excellent. The stewardesses were very professional. There was an inflight medical issue and they were fantastic. We were on time both ways, in fact, slightly early. No glitches anywhere. The seats were not small - we had better seats than previously on American, they did recline, and the headrests folded to where you could nap. We flew for less than half of other airlines, including the cost for our bags. If you know going in that it's going to cost $25 for a carry on at the time of booking, do it then! If you wait until check-in, it's $35 and if you wait until you get to the airport, surprise! - it's now $100. Pack light, and you will know ahead of time that there are no complimentary snacks or drinks. We will fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Forrest Tym    (USA)

Preium Economy

Spirit Airlines is of course the budget carrier in the US, however I was slightly unaware when I booked through cheaptickets just how budget it was. The plane tickets were a few hundred dollars less for our international trip, however we were charged to check our bags. We had to pay forty dollars per bag to get them to our destination, and then on the way home we had to pay forty dollars a bag twice because Spirit decided the last flight of our trip home (same city we departed from) was a separate trip and we would have to pay a second time to get our bags all the way home. Couple this with the fact that they did not allow any online check in so we had to be at the airport two hours early, as well as the fact that you do not even receive a seat assignment when purchasing a ticket, you are basically a standby passenger. You have to buy seats just to sit with the person you are travelling with, then if you don't want your knees jammed into the person in front of you, you have to pay for a larger seat as well. Coming back from Peru, we were not allowed to bring our own water on the plane and Spirit is the only carrier that charges for water, so on a 6 hour flight, we were only allowed to drink water if we purchased it from Spirit. After all was said and done, the additional costs more than balanced out any savings we received at the beginning, and we had a fair longer flight time and itinerary do to it originally "saving us money". No TVs or entertainment, so you better have something on your laptop or phone, although there will be nowhere to fit it on the plane and carry on baggage costs more than checked.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Monica Ajlouny    (USA)

Standard

BWI to Cancun with a stop in Ft. Lauderdale return. They nickel and dime customers, even checking in at the airport cost money. They charge for everything, except a purse size personal item. Not even a cup of water. Seats don't recline and they say so they can add more seats to keep fares low, but they are not low even higher than others after you pay all the fees. Flights were delayed, attendants were ok but some were very rude. The checked bag can't be over 40lbs which is 10 less than other airlines. I will never travel this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by J Richey    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit for the first time this past weekend and to say the trip was a disaster is an understatement. Naturally, most customers choose Spirit because it "appears" to be more economical. However, if you do a true cost comparison with other airlines, there is no real savings. I paid $47 to check a bag, was told that it just barely made the weight allowance - 40lbs, most airlines it is 50 lbs. I was shocked when I noticed the signs at the gate which charged $100 for a carry-on, this was simply incredulous! Once on board, did not realize the seats do not recline, very uncomfortable for a flight across the country. You have to purchase standard items, water and soda? You have to pay to select your seat and pay to have your boarding pass printed. My luggage was lost and at this current time they still don't know where it is located - 24 hours later. I checked it at the ticket counter, after paying $42, please note that it was 5 bucks less because I added the bag online for my return. The representative that filed the loss luggage claim even commented that Spirit always has problems. Do not fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Michael Donohue    (USA)

Standard

Absolutely terrible airline, like riding a ragged city bus in the sky. Uncomfortable seats, no leg room, and rattled more than any other plane I've experienced. Extra fees everywhere. We booked a month in advance and were told they could not check us in because cut off had passed by 2 minutes after they had us standing in line for over 20 minutes. We had to wait 6 six hours for another flight. Ft. Lauderdale Airport is some what responsible as well their facility is a disaster. Spend a little extra and go with an airline that doesn't have hidden fees and pathetic customer service at every turn. They will never get another penny from our family.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by A Bate    (USA)

Standard

Unless the traveler is truly desperate for the very lowest fare and can fit into a very small seat and carry only one "personal item", the bag and seat fees add up so fast that we ended up paying about the same as for larger and more efficiently run airlines. The airline staff on the ground and in the air appeared overburdened and exhausted. I will say the flight crew did seem alert and chipper. Even if I could have avoided the additional fees, it would not have been worth the poor service, cumbersome website, awkward information interface and ineffective communications. The final indignation was that several hours after having moved our departure to a different gate on the concourse, someone had neglected to notify the push-away cart of the change. This dropped ball resulted in a completely avoidable further twenty minute delay while we sat on the aircraft waiting for it to get to the new gate to push our aircraft away from the gate. We had already determined that we would not fly this airline again, but this experience really was the last straw. It's too bad - Southwest has figured out how to keep fares a little more reasonable and they do it with flair.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by M Keithley    (USA)

Standard

We were delayed 2 hours because of "mandatory crew rest" from Portland to Las Vegas. Endless amounts of hidden fees, around $200 just on luggage. Delayed on our way back from Las Vegas to Portland. We sat on the plane for a good 45 minutes before it actually took off. Awful customer service. No complimentary drinks, not even water. Would not recommend Spirit to anyone.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Janet Geier    (USA)

Big

We booked a trip to Chicago for June 23rd. When it was time to check in and print the boarding pass, that's when we found out about all the extra charges. They not only charge you for a checked bag, $40 per bag but charged $45 for our checked bag. We paid $25 to pick out each seat. If we hadn't done this online, our boarding pass, baggage check would've cost $100 each. On the return trip, they tried to charge me $25 extra because they said my checked bag was overweight. Funny because there was nothing more in it that when I started the trip. The flight ended up costing $270 more than the cost of tickets. I had an unstable person behind me that dug his knees into my back for the entire trip. My flight cost $1065. with all the extra charges when initially I paid $796. for 2 round trip tickets. Never fly Spirit! You can't even get a glass of water without paying for it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by L Kinkade    (USA)

Standard

We booked a four-day trip to NYC. Got to the counter 45 minutes before flight. We couldn't print tickets at home and had trouble at the kiosk so our first surprise was $10 print fee per boarding pass. Second surprise was $47.50 for my husband's checked bag. Even though I had a carry-on the agent didn't mention there was a charge for this. We got a new employee who was training and it took her forever to process the boarding pass printing and checked bag. As we were walking away she said she forgot to charge us for the bag. She asked a co-worker how to call the gate because she didn't know how. I went ahead to the gate while my husband stayed to pay. About 15 minutes later I was called back to the counter. She had taken so long that the system released our tickets and they were given to standby customers. Even though it was 15 minutes before the flight we were told there was nothing they could do. There were already people in our seats. To make a long story short, we spent over an hour trying to figure out all our options including buying new tickets on other airlines. The tickets on other airlines were too costly on short notice, so we ended flying to Philadelphia on Spirit 7 hours later. Her error cost us an extra $115 for the train from Philly to NY. On our flight to Philly we learnt that I would also have to pay $50 for my carry-on. As we were boarding, we were stopped because my boarding pass didn't show we paid for my carry-on. Even after we handed the gate agent our receipt for $97.50 for two bags, she was still telling us the system didn't show we paid. Then she said I owed an additional $16. When we asked to speak to a supervisor, he let us through. The additional baggage fees are ridiculous. These prices are so far off the industry standard that they should post the prices as part of the check out so the customer knows all fees up front.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by D Rivera    (USA)

Standard

Flight out of Las Vegas was supposed to leave at 9pm Sunday night to arrive in Oakland (1 hour flight) at 11.05pm. With flight delays, false starting down the runway, and delay in being able to open the door, final landing time is still to be determined considering we are still on the plane in Oakland at 4.06 am. The attendants are completely unapologetic, and seem frustrated. What they don't realize is that we have been at the airport since 8pm and it is now 4am.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by D Henning    (USA)

Standard

Just flew from Portland to Chicago with my husband and the kids. We read all the bag pricing and ticket printing before hand. Those that complain about the counter fees and bag fees have no one to blame but themselves. We checked in online and printed our own tickets. We pre-paid $20 each for two checked bags, that was it! Not $20 there and than $20 on the return flight. Delta was was $25 each way! The counter clerk was super helpful and polite doing the fast bag drop off. The biggest problem were the other passengers feeling they were entitled and crying babies on the red eye. My kids are 9+ so I'm not used to it and I never traveled with them on a plane as babies. Overall my experience was excellent. Oh if you're a family don't pick your seats if your staying in coach, the counter lady told me they will keep you all together no matter what if there is children. I could keep going on about how easy this airline was to deal with but most people listen to those that complain and want to spend less and expect more.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by D Sheinman    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines is nothing but a rip off organization with excessive carry-on baggage fees of $45 per flight and arbitrary changes to the schedule which include 12 hours of flight time and three or more stops. I'll never use this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by James M Glowenke    (USA)

Standard

Flight 903, July 29 2014, 8.10 departure, ORD to DFW. Not to mention the flight was an hour and a half late. The check-in procedure was no procedure at all. One entire section of kiosks were out of order. When you finally found one that worked, upon checking in, paying for your bag, securing a seat for more money, a line of 150 people were waiting for a bag tag. Now the instructions at the kiosk were to go to the express bag check, which was left vacant with no attendant. There were three gate agents doing nothing but putting tags on bags which took one hour. Thank goodness the flight was late. Oh, the instructions for this procedure were hand written and taped to the back of another sign which were holding the aisle separation bands. How long should it take to put on a tag? All passengers had already secured the boarding pass, paid for the bags, and hopefully pre-weighed them at home to make sure they did not exceed 40 lbs.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by J White    (USA)

Standard

Though the base fare was the lowest and the flight time/schedule good, the "nickle and dime" approach to basics (carry on, snack, water/beverage, seat selection - for seats that don't recline at all, too) along with the impatient attitude of the gate staff and flight attendants made for an unpleasant and actually more expensive experience. In addition, the plane was not cleaned between flights (wrappers, etc. in the seat back and crumbs all over the floor and seats). I was also disappointed in the website having to login or sign up just to get the flight status, for example, and that it doesn't offer any option to "contact us."

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Jeremy Bates    (USA)

I had read the airline policies on baggage fees, etc., and paid those while booking my ticket, so no surprises there. I also upgraded to a larger front seat which was very roomy and reclined. The only surprise was how great the ticket agent was. I had booked a one way ticket to Peru, I'm visiting friends and wasn't sure when I was coming home. When I checked in, the agent informed me that Peru didn't allow one way tickets for foreign passport holders. After getting out of line, I checked this information online, and found out she was correct. I got back in line and the agent booked me a return flight without charging me the extra fee, saying she understood the mix up. She also got me travel insurance in case I want to change the date for my return flight. My flight was delayed by one hour, as where flights with several other airlines. Even with the extra fees and upgraded seat, I still saved over the next cheapest airline, so needless to say, I am a very happy customer and will be using Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by K Stenzel    (USA)

Standard

If I could give this airline zero stars I would. When initially booking our trip Spirit beat the competitor by only a few dollars, but what I didn't know was that when you arrived at the airport with a very tiny carry on bag they would charge you 50 dollars! It doesn't stop there, when I received my itinerary on my phone and tried to check in online, the website recommended early check in because in some cases having to talk with an attendant would cost 10 more dollars! Once we finally got on the plane, the cheapest thing on the drink and food menu was coffee at the outrageous price of 2 dollars. Mixed nuts and a soft drink (free on every flight I have ever taken) were 5 dollars. The seats on the plane were the smallest I have seen. Stay far away from Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by R Toy    (USA)

Standard

We probably will never fly this airline again. We were delayed due to weather. We would miss our connection and the airline could not do anything about that. They cannot book you on another airline (they just don't do that and other airlines do though). Because we opted not to fly out because we were going to our connection, they could not get us anywhere else. The plane only flew out of PHL 3 times a day, there are no other alternatives if you miss your flight or if your flight is delayed. They finally found us a plane out but it was 5 days later (what did they expect us to do? Camp out at the airport until then?). They told us our only alternative was to take that ticket or get a refund. Needless to say, we took the refund and flew out on another airline. Also, their luggage check fee is $40 each way - a lot more than any other airline. So where are the savings? Speaking in favor of the airline: their seats are comfy and you have leg room, not cramped and it is sort of nice not having the attendants run up and down the aisle announcing drinks, etc. They simply don't serve at all! They were very cordial at PHL even though they could not help us - it wasn't their fault the planes were delayed.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by T Stroup    (USA)

Standard

You think you're getting a great deal on flights, until the night before when you go to check in. There you find that you have to pay $45 to carry on a bag both to and from, per person. Not only that, but hopefully you have a printer on hand because if you have to print at the airport it's an additional $10 per ticket. That doesn't seem like much of a deal to me. In the end, we could have traveled with a more spacious airline without all the hassle and without an unexpected $180 charge.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by J Chen    (USA)

Standard

7/17, Cancun to Fort Lauderdale supposed to depart around 4pm. Delayed to 7, then delayed to 8, then 9, then around 8pm, they just canceled it. They then proceeded to put us on a flight 22 hours later, and refused to pay for our hotels. My friends and I ended up staying the night at the airport which was terrible. The next day when we went to check in the staff simply refused to serve us. When finally they decided to serve us, we were told that our connecting flight would be 10 hours after we landed in Fort Lauderdale, which was a complete surprise to us. We tried to ask if they can put us on the regular flight that day which would go to our destination after Fort Lauderdale but they said it was overbooked. Do not be fooled by their cheaper ticket price. In the end it will not actually be cheaper. Avoid them at all cost.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by B Wikoff    (USA)

Had a round-trip flight for my minor son (16) booked to Atlantic City, went to get a guest pass to take to gate, woman at ticket counter was rude but gave me the pass. Went out to gate and was told by rude agent at gate that plane would be 2hrs late because of weather even though weather map showed no storms. On return flight went to pick my son up and went to ticket counter and was told they do not issue guest passes to pick up minors, had to argue with sales agent and finally told her my son was handicapped and she gave me a pass. Went to TSA supervisor and told him, he said there is no reason for them not to issue gate pass to pick up minors and to let the Spirit agent call him to verify. Went back to spirit airline agent and she would not call and just kept arguing with me that TSA would not let them issue passes.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by M Sullivan    (USA)

Big

We have not been on vacation for 3 years and desperately needed to get away and I was a nervous wreck that our flight would be delayed or cancelled. I went on Spirit's website and read about the baggage policy, etc. Thank goodness I did because I had booked it through Priceline or else I would not have had any idea. I also picked seats for all 4 flights for myself, husband and child. I ended up paying what I would have to fly another airline so not a big deal. All of my flights were on time. No issues at all. I have recently flown Delta and United and had issues with both of them. Bottom line I was pleasantly surprised with my experience and would fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Joel Wixson    (USA)

Standard

We booked a one way flight from Lima, Peru to Denver, Colorado. The price was okay, and I do like the idea of paying for only what you use, i.e. checked bags or carry on bags. However in our situation we have two stops in the US, one in Fort Lauderdale and the other in Chicago, since we will be changing planes in Chicago Spirit is charging us again for our extra bags. So now we have to pay for our checked bags twice even though we are on the same airlines and our flight to Chicago is a connecting flight to Denver. Also be sure to read all about the bag weights and size restrictions. We just had a wonderful surprise that we are only allowed one bag at 40lbs from Peru. The "Customer Service" agent at Spirit told me it's a limitation at the Lima airport. Which is false, other Airlines allow customer two bags each. Imagine moving from Peru with only one checked bag. I really wish I would have read some of these reviews before booking Spirit, never again will I fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Sonia Fiddler-Brown    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines is not the best choice to travel when you are returning or visiting Jamaica or anywhere in particular. The forty pounds restrictions for fifty plus dollars and seating is a crime. The hassle and stress one has to go through, just to be safe with your weights, is not worth your time, neither are you saving one penny. Cheapest airline, should not be associated with Spirit Airlines. Their adds are misleading. Their Customer Service is also sloppy. I corrected my misspelled name before I took my trip only to be told my name was not associated with my account and therefore could not access my account to pay for my baggage before check in time on my return. The fear of having to pay $100.00 per baggage at the counter had me going to the airport hours in advance only to wait until check in time, then to be told, their system was down and could not process my debit card. This process took me over an hour, huffing and puffing to my gate with the extra clothes I had to put on because I was ten pounds overweight. This was my last flight and I will encourage whomever returning to Jamaica to take another airline. I could not take back much because of my experience. Shame on you Spirit Airlines!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by C Woodruff    (USA)

Standard

Let me start by saying that I read at least 25 reviews on this site before we started packing. I read about the extra baggage fees. The surprise baggage fees at the gate. The delays. The date changing unknowingly during the ticket buying process (we had to go back afterwards and fix the changed dates). The rude staff. Not being given free food or beverages on the flight. The small seats. We were traveling (2 adults, 1 child) from Houston to Minnesota for a funeral. We didn't have time to save for this unexpected event, so we flew with a notoriously cheap airline, and didn't pay for checking or carrying on luggage. All bags were well within the size limit stated online for their one personal item. The flights to Minnesota and back both went smooth. We were not hassled about our purses and computer bag. Flights were on time. Arrived home 30 minutes earlier than expected which made the kid happy. We took food and drink onto the plane, so we didn't have to buy anything from the airline. We co- ordinated our seats to make sure that we all had enough leg room. The flight crew were excellent. No inflight entertainment (other than the announcer), but we had plenty of electronics and books to keep us happy. I don't know if it was research or sheer luck, but I was relieved that our experience wasn't one of the awful ones I've read about here.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by G Andresen    (USA)

Standard

We traveled from San Francisco to Las Vegas July 13, coming back July 16. Spirit charged us $50 per carry on baggage each way. The cabin both ways, were not quite clean. I can see almost all others reviews state the same. It's hard to believe they can stay in business. We will never fly with Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Dennis McZeal    (USA)

Standard

This is the worst airline I have flown. My flight was a round trip from LAX to Fort Lauderdale Florida and back. The baggage fee are ridiculous. They are very careful to make sure that your bag is not over sized. I had no problem checking out of LAX, but when I was ready to return home with the same baggage, they said my bag was too big. I spent more than 45 minutes trying to communicate with someone who could barely speak English. I then ask to speak to a supervisor. After waiting another five minutes the supervisor finally came to the phone and would not even offer a discount. Had I known that I was going to be charged for a carry on, I would have rearranged my luggage and put my so called carry-on with my checked in luggage. The employees were great at check in but the customer service department is very poor. I did pay the extra $50 but this airline will never get another penny from this family.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by J Ennis    (USA)

Standard

You get what you pay for. Once all the incidentals are paid for, you'll pay the same as any other airline, but if you don't need all the frills, you don't pay a lot. We saved a few hundred dollars over the other airlines for a direct flight because we carefully planned every detail. The carry-on fee is absurd (we didn't have carry on), but the food/drink extras are in line with other airlines. You can always bring food in, or get drinks from a vendor in the airport for less, but for a flight less than three hours, you don't really need it. The staff were by far the friendliest airline staff I have encountered.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Raquel Garcia    (USA)

Standard

My first time with Spirit. I will start off saying, $50 for a carry on? That's ridiculous. The "free" carry on has to be like a kids size. The normal charge is $47 each if it's under 50lbs. Not sure how other airlines work but that is expensive to me. Anyway, we had been delayed for an hour due to "weather" and while in the sky, we had to take an extra 45min route. That totalled up to 1hr and 45mins extra. Lets talk about the plane now: it was so loud! The seats are uncomfortable. There is no movies or any wifi and you must pay for all snacks. This includes everything (drinks too), they do not take cash, credit/debit only. The staff were nice but the airline is not worth it. You end up spending the same as a "normal" airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by D McZeal    (USA)

This is the worst airline I have flown. My flight was a round trip from LAX to Fort Lauderdale Florida and back. The baggage fees are ridiculous. They are very careful to make sure that your bag is not over sized to the inch degree. I had no problem checking out of LAX, but when I was ready to return home with the same baggage, they said my bag was too big. I spent more than 45 minutes trying to communicate with someone who could barely speak English. I then ask to speak to a supervisor. After waiting another five minutes the supervisor finally came to the phone and would not even offer a discount. Had I known that I was going to be charge for a carry on, I would have rearranged my luggage and put my so called carry-on with my checked-in luggage. The employees were great at check in but the customer service department sucks. I did pay the extra $50.00 but this airline will never get another Penny from this family, along with others who flew with us. The saving is not worth the trouble. Buyer (Flyer) beware!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by G Boisvert    (USA)

Standard

Spirit got me from A to B on time and without incident. In that respect, they did well. I was a little miffed at the carry on policy though, my average sized laptop didn't fit in any bag that met the size for a free personal item, so I ended up borrowing one from a family member to avoid paying the carry on fee. I think the ultimate problem with Spirit is that while they are cheaper than the competition, they still aren't cheap. If everyone got tickets for $10 round-trip, as you sometimes can in Europe, nobody would complain about the fees. But most people are still paying a couple hundred bucks just for the ticket, and it feels like that ought to buy you something besides transportation. Spirit saved me money and ultimately carried out its job, and I can't say I'd never fly them again. But given the hoops you have to jump through, I'd probably want them to save me more money than they did this time before I went back.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Jerry Bru    (USA)

Standard

I knew that this was a no-frills airline, and expected to have a sub-performance level of service, but I bought tickets anyway thinking that saving $50 was worth the try. Like another customer's posting, I thought I could bring at least one bag on board, but in the end I had to pay. So much for saving money on this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Sonia De Leon    (USA)

Standard

This was my first and my last experience with Spirit Airlines. I had scraped and saved for this trip to attend a family wedding a long time and do not have "extra" money to be spending so saving money was a big priority and only reason I flew with Spirit . I was told that Spirit charged extra for everything but that you were allowed to bring 1 carry on for free. When I finally printed my boarding pass after dealing with a very user unfriendly website the was an option for carry on or bag. I wasn't bringing a bag and I thought it referred to an extra carry on, I didn't mark anything and printed the boarding pass. After getting through security and getting to the gate I hear the representative saying several times about only 1 personal item allowed on board so I asked him If I was not allowed to bring my carry on and he said "you have to pay for it", I asked "how much"? I was told $100. They just billed my credit card and gave me another boarding pass. That was not all, not only was that fee outrageous but your beverage fees are excessive as well. Those "deals" don't benefit anyone but the airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by C Houlihan    (USA)

Standard

I had a wonderful experience on Spirit Airlines and have recommended it to several friends. I would much rather pay $3 for an unlimited cup of coffee and an Otis Spunkmeyer Blueberry Muffin handed to me with a smile, than have a bag of peanuts shoved at me as the stewards/stewardesses rush past me in an effort to get them to everyone in the other airlines overcrowded plane.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by G Williams    (USA)

Standard

15 July, flight 457. Waited over 30 min for a gate. Check-in was slow and staff left the counter routinely for other unrelated work activities. Seat broke and headrest would not adjust. Not worth the $50 I saved myself.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Anissa York    (USA)

Standard

Prices matched all other flights after you factor in the price of luggage and choosing your seats, really? I also love how they advertise "big seats for a price", there were 4 "big" seats. Flight delays both ways, with no apparent reason given. One delay was a 4 hour delay! It was already a red eye and a flight going to Ft Lauderdale at 1am was on time, while we had to continue waiting for 1 hour. Departure time is more like boarding time (actually it's earlier). Took almost 1 hour to receive our baggage. Terrible customer service. Leg room was claustrophobic. I do not think the seat space could get any smaller. Seats do not recline. No wifi, no TV's or movies on a 5-6 hour flight. We have to pay for water! Will never be a repeat customer.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Lou Cal    (USA)

Standard

My daughter had to fly back to LaGuardia Airport, she calls me to let me know the flight was delayed 40 minutes, ok delays are to be expected, she finally boards 1 hr later and sits for 2 hrs saying there was a delay by traffic control, 1/2 an hour later they head back to the gate where they have to get off on the runway. When passengers asked when is the next flight they were told to go inside, they don't know. When everyone was back at the gate they were told there will be no flights out, they would have to wait until Wednesday (this was Monday) to fly out again. I had to scrabble at 11.30 pm (flight was to arrive at 9.05 pm) to get her a flight with another airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by R Whitney    (USA)

In my opinion, it is better to fly with an airline that charges you more upfront. At least you know what you are getting up front. The flight was ok but by after paying for luggage I could have flown with another airline. I've never flown with an airline that nickle and dimes you at every turn, charging for non-alcoholic beverages, really? They do not offer any conveniences that one is accustomed to with other airlines. To add insult to injury, when my bags, that I paid $40.00/bag to check, got relocated the agents in the Ft. Lauderdale baggage claim airport office offered little to no help. I'm not suggesting that one forgoes flying with Spirit, but I never will again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Maria Levinson    (USA)

Standard

Book my ticket a month ahead, two hours before departure my flight was canceled due to "weather" in NY. Complete nonsense, other flights flew out just fine and the weather was fine as well. Could not put me on a different flight, I canceled my flight over the phone. The most ridiculous experience ever! P.S. I frequently fly MIA or FLL to LGA or JFK.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by P Buckalow    (USA)

I was on a flight from JFK. The flight at the gate before us was delayed 4 hours because of some mechanical problems with the plane so when our plane arrived that group took our plane which was fine we were assured their plane would be ready for us in no time. The plane wasn't ready for 5 hours and when we finally got on the runway we had to go back because some paperwork was filed incorrectly. That took another 3.5 hours. When we finally made it out again we were told that we had to be in the air in 30 min or the crew would time out and we would have to fly out tomorrow. We didn't make it and the crew was timed out. Spirit didn't even give us a free flight because they then said that the flight was cancelled due to weather and not because the crew timed out.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Pamela Gaylord    (USA)

Big

It is very much a no frills airline but doesn't try to advertise itself as anything different. We paid in advance for our baggage, chose our seats and paid the extra fee for the large seats. The flight was perfect, the seats were comfortable, the staff polite. If I had to come up with any negatives, I would say the fact that there was only one bathroom on the plane so there was a never ending line of people standing in the isle waiting, but that is really a non issue. I definitely would fly spirit again and would recommend it to friends/family. Just make sure you read the instructions about paying in advance and you won't be bogged down with any surprise fees.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by J Bottum    (USA)

Standard

First time flying in 13 years. Flew from ORD to LAS, and then from LAS to SAN. I was randomly assigned a seat in the aisle which worked out great for me being over 6 feet tall, as the legroom was kind of small. Shifting my position helped alleviate any weariness. For as cheap of a price as I got, I kind of figured there would be some things cut to help cost-efficiency. My departing flights left on time, and my returning flight was actually early by about 15-20 minutes. Did not purchase food or drink on board as I brought my own. No issues with boarding or luggage, as I was staying for a week in California, and was able to fit everything into my carry-on. Staff were very friendly. I can appreciate the no-frills type of service offered, since my main concern with going on vacation is the destination, not the extra stuff I don't need on the journey.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by H Valencia    (USA)

Big

Zero customer service. Plane delayed due to weather (DFW to Cancun). Weather got better-all other airlines were taking off and landing. Plane was then canceled, after we boarded, because the plane would not be able to make their flight back to Florida if they took us to Cancun. We were given a standard letter apologizing due to weather which was a lie. The pilot announced the real reason - not being able to return to Florida on time. It was not weather. They were more concerned about future flights in Florida than current flight-all boarded! Our first time and our last.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by B Hines    (USA)

Standard

After looking at reviews it appears most everyone has the same complaint - the baggage fees are as much as the plane ticket. Hard uncomfortable seats. Had to pay almost twice as much baggage fees coming from the Dominican Republic (in addition to paying a government fee to enter the country). To have to pay for water after paying for a ticket and those baggage fees shameful. I don't think we will ever fly Spirit again. We applied for a c card in order to get free miles. We are going to cancel the credit card.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Sara Lay    (USA)

Standard

My son got us tickets on Spirit because he thought it was the up and coming low fare airline. He didn't know what he was getting my into! Obviously he was uninformed, but he is now. First impression: signed in for boarding pass (didn't have to pay $10) and message came up that we had to pay $50 for each carryon, and we each had one so that was $100 that we did not expect on our carefully budgeted trip. I was fortunate to get a cup of water for my medication before we took off. One of our seatmates said she was on a flight where a lady needed medication and they wanted her to pay for water. By the way, water is not a complimentary item. For a budget airline, we are subsidizing their cheap fare policy, so I'll take the airline that at least I can feel comfortable on for an extra $100, which is usually Southwest, and they have lots of complimentary juice, water and soda. They won't lure me with anything.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by J Urgo    (USA)

Big

Atlanta to Atlantic City. 7/12/14. They should rename this airline "Nickel Dime Airline" because that is about all the service is worth and that's all they do, from the moment you book a flight - attempt to extort more and more money out of you. I'm surprised they don't sell passengers packets of toilet paper as you enter their very dirty, smelly on-board rest room. Spirit's excuse is that it's a "budget" airline. But by the time they are finished with all the add-on costs, a ticket that started out at a good (but really not rock-bottom) price usually ends up costing more than one on a non-budget airline - where you'll have bigger seats, cleaner restrooms, and a less confounding experience all around.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Elizabeth Bensend    (USA)

Standard

Never again! Our flight from LAX to Dallas Fort Worth was 2 hours late. When we boarded the plane the attendant that you usually see greeting you was busy on their phone. The attendant before take off checked the overhead compartment while sighing as if she didn't want to be there. The attendants were overall unpleasant. When we left Dallas Fort Worth to LAX we received the same greeting. The flight was an early morning 6.20 departure and I realize everyone is very tired in the morning and that perhaps the passengers have the right to sleep during the fight but I certainly don't think that the flight attendant should be sleeping in their seat at the back of the plane. My luggage is in Las Vegas and I am 4 hours North of LAX. The seats on the plane so small need not recline back. So uncomfortable! When I booked this flight I was excited that I had found airfare for family of 4 at such a low price, now I know why! I think what bothers me the most is that the attendants weren't very attentive and we're too busy with their social media to be bothered by the passengers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by C Duval    (France)

Standard

Flight 719 on Wednesday May 28th. I tried to fly on Spirit between Denver and Las Vegas, but the flight was canceled because of the absence of the crew. We spent one hour inside the aircraft itself waiting for them and finally, we had to spend the night at Denver airport after 5 hours waiting at the front desk to get a solution for the next day (with another company hopefully). The quality of the service was very poor. In addition, I was flying with a 7-month baby.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by K Riedl    (USA)

Standard

The total cost after paying all the fees was comparable to other airlines, so no real big saving with Spirit. Never flew Spirit and thought I'd give it a try. My flight to Oregon didn't happen because of mechanical failure (so cannot comment on in-flight experience), instead they would fly me from Pennsylvania, to Texas tonight (Friday), then to New Jersey overnight, and then depart for Vegas early Saturday morning. I would have 1.5 days in Vegas before getting on a flight to Oregon early Sunday evening. All of this "at no additional charge" said the clerk. They did not offer a hotel room in Vegas at no additional charge. My experiment blew up before getting off the ground, their business model has a lot of room for improvement, and I will not be booking with Spirit ever again. My weekend with my children was ruined.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax