Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Read Spirit Airlines Passenger Reviews and Spirit Airlines customer trip Reports

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by L Yock    (USA)

Standard

Having flown during most of my career I've experienced about every airline and every travel situation imaginable. Yesterday I was completing my first round trip on Spirit. I was traveling through Chicago, this was the morning of the fire in a Chicago area air traffic control facility. Needless to say air travel was a mess. The Spirit staff at MSP was as professional and efficient as I've ever experienced. They were facing a very difficult set of circumstances and they were doing their very best to accommodate many people who were much more stressed than what the situation required. Also, all 4 legs of my flights were as comfortable as any other airline seat - the onboard crew members were friendly and efficient. The entire experience was as positive as the other 20+ flights I've had this year on several different airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by B Ferguson    (USA)

Standard

No value, not satisfied, not using this company any longer. I saved money on the tickets, but after my bag and carry-on fees I spent more than the other airlines was charging, oh and don't fly back into the USA and go through customs at Ft. Lauderdale unless you have 5 hours to waste. 5 hours in line and office told me they were short 25 employees and those that were on staff were knew which meant they were slow.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by M Murtagh    (USA)

Standard

9/18, TPA-DFW, flight 813, 9/22, DFW-TPA, flight 812. I read the reviews and was prepared for "no frills" service. Flights were on time seats were not noticeably smaller. Attendants were pleasant. No real difference from United. If you pay luggage fees when booking, it is cheaper.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Karen Harrison    (USA)

Standard

Spirit is a scam. Its approach is to make you believe you are getting a deal, but there is a charge for everything and the seats are so uncomfortable unless you purchase a a big seat. I was going to my graduation on a simple flight from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando, which should have been a simple flight, however, both flights were delayed over an hour coming and going within two days. I missed my graduation exercise because of the terrible service!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Chris Jeffery    (USA)

Standard

From LGA to FLL - no bag sizer next to the kiosks at LGA, so I was not sure if I should pay the 50$ fee for bags or not. I did for fear of having to pay 100$ per bag at the gate. There was a bag sizer in the boarding area I measured my bags (2) and called the attendant over to verify that both were of size to go on the plane for free. The attendant agreed but said that they couldn't give a refund now because they were already starting the boarding process and this was the only attendant working at the gate. He said that we could get the refund from customer service upon arrival with no problem - that was a lie. Customer service was less than useless and refused to issue a refund even after placing our bags in the sizer again and seeing that they qualified to travel for free. We later called the airline and spent 45 min on the phone which lead to more excuses - bottom line, this airline is a giant scam and I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Nelson John    (USA)

Flight 971 running late due to crew arriving late. Airline only allows 1 personal bag, the other you must pay $50 to place it in the overhead compartment - $45 to check it to your final destination. 1st and last time I fly with them!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Sid Sab    (USA)

Standard

From beginning to end, my experience with Spirit Airlines supported the negative reputation that I have born witness to. Several flights were delayed several hours and there was no consideration for the passenger/customer through the inconvenience to our plans. Being charged for drinks on board a flight that was delayed and ultimate tacked on 6 more hours onto a trip is a slap in the face. The inability to seat myself and my wife in another pair of seats, because her seat did not lock in the upright position, while their are seats available is insulting. I presume locking the seat in the upright position is stressed for safety reasons. Why wasn't sitting in a seat that locks in the upright position? I originally thought flying this airline would prove to be a bargain, but after being charged for carry-on and/or check-in luggage, seating, refreshments, catching up on wasted time, flying with Spirit proved to be very costly.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by S J Kerwin    (USA)

Cheap airline but not so cheap when you get to airport, $30 for checked luggage but only 40lbs, the usual is 50 lbs so then they hit you with an additional $25 and then a carryon is another $25 - then seats are so close together that sardines have it better. We usually fly United but got a really good deal on seats so decided to try. Never again, in the long run any other airline would have been cheaper and certainly more service. Thank goodness the flight was only 2 hrs.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Mary Psihogios    (USA)

On Tuesday, September 23rd, I had a flight out of BWI airport in Maryland scheduled for take off at 12.41 which of course was delayed and delayed and delayed. I realize that it comes with the territory when you fly and it's bound to happen when you fly often which I do. The problem I had most was there was no real explanation for the delay, the plane was there, the weather was good in both locations. When it would get close to the time they predicted we should board or pass it then they would say something like, it wasn't "cleared" to fly. None of us knew if we were getting out of Baltimore that day or not and as time ticked away they did not offer any alternatives. We did finally take off around 6.15 or something with a $7 voucher in our hands that didn't cover the cost of an entire meal and a $50 credit tied to our confirmation number so everyone better not loose that but they still made us pay for a soda on the plane. I don't know it's just me but I think they could have done better.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by K Engstrom    (USA)

Chicago to Orlando, September 17th. Return flight September 21st Orlando to Chicago. First and last flight. No second chance. The round trip was plenty of experience. Delayed both flights and not weather related. They charge for every last thing and you pay more for carry in than checked. Do I get to charge them for cleaning up the food droppings, peanut shells and dirty Kleenex in my seat? The staff is rude probably from getting grief regarding the fees and delays. I would gladly pay $50 more to be treated like human.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2014 by M Cherchelanova    (USA)

Standard

My husband made a reservation from Chicago to Las Vegas. We were supposed to depart at 5.09pm but their representatives at the gate told us that the flight was delayed to 8.38 pm. Than at 8.00 pm we understood that the flight was delayed again to 10.10pm and the "empty airplane" which was specifically for us (feeling very special) just left Myrtle Beach. Every time I fly with Spirit Airlines there is some problem. This is the last time that I'm flying with them. Spirit Airlines doesn't care for their customers at all. Delays all the time. You pay for your carry on bag more than the regular bag (of course you don't have one free bag at all). If it's going like this soon we'll be forced to pay for our personal items as well. I will not fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2014 by J Smith    (USA)

Standard

While sitting waiting for my departing flight I read some terrible reviews. This was a family medical emergency flight to Orlando. Booked less than 24 hrs prior. All the other airlines wanted $700 plus. Spirit came in at a reasonable $391, out of a tiny airport in PA - free parking - yes that small. The flight crew were fantastic, I think they got their training from Southwest! The low numbers for food beverage and inflight entertainment are due to the fact there was no option for NA. Trip home was a little exciting, landing was aborted due to last minute change in weather. Our competent flight crew were on top of it. I will certainly be a return customer.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2014 by M Benham    (USA)

Standard

To be fair, Spirit warns you that it is a bare bones on the cheap airline. it is the Greyhound of the sky and proud of it. My flight was delayed 7 hours due to the crew not showing up to the fly the plane. The worst part about it though, was the fact that I arrived at the airport 10 hours early to try and get an earlier flight. when I checked in they informed me of the delay. They knew of the problem 10 hours out and did nothing. I gave up the fight because this was an experiment to see if it would be worth using them again. Obviously you really get what you pay for. However, about 40 passengers where loud enough to get someone, manager?, to try to calm the situation. She then spent 30 minutes flipping back and forth between excuses, what she could do to help, and what not. in the end she informed everyone that they could cancel their flight for a 150 dollar fee or get comfortable. It is unfortunate there is not recourse the passenger have in a situation like this. Again, the airline knew 10 hours in advance of the problem and just did nothing. Just a live and learn situation. did get a 7 dollar meal voucher. Got me a large water for $7.50.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2014 by M Montgomery    (USA)

Standard

Dallas to NYC-no problem. Return flight on 9/22 is a different story. We were boarding the plane with the exact same luggage we had on the original flight. One of the gate attendants insisted that my wife's bag was over sized and we would have to pay $50 to take it on board. I read all of the requirements when we got our boarding passes that morning, and it said clearly that each person was allowed 1 carry on bag, and 1 personal item like a purse, etc. When I placed the bag in question into the container that is used to measure allowable size, it fit perfectly. Another passenger walked by and said the same thing had happened to her on this flight as well. After the attendant noticed that the bag was ok, she said that if my wife's purse and a small camera bag that I was carrying would not fit into a carry on bag we would have to pay $50. I told her that her company's written policy stated that we could board with what we had, and that we had traveled on previous occasions with no problem, her only response was that no one else was doing their job right but her. We were backed into a corner, the plane was boarding and there is only 1 flight per day from NYC to Dallas, so I had no choice but to pay. When I told another attendant there that we would never fly Spirit again, she said that she didn't care. This attitude is unacceptable. Having been in the customer service field for over 20 years, I could not believe this attitude is condoned by the airline, but after reading other reviews here, I see that it is an accepted behavior. I will pay double before I fly on Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2014 by Pete Gau    (USA)

Standard

After paying the bag fees Spirit was no longer the cheapest option from Minneapolis to Vegas. In my opinion I felt like I had been tricked by Spirit. This was my third trip to Vegas in eight months and it will be the last with Spirit if they continue to have a bag fee.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by Tina Weikert    (USA)

Standard

Ft Lauderdale-BWI. Flight delayed 2 hours, cabin was dirty, including bathroom - the sink was clogged and floor had water all over it. When I let flight attendant know she just laughed and waved it off. The captain advised us that drinks would be served and that normally credit card is usually the way that you can purchase but the machine was down, so cash would be accepted. I did not have cash since I spent it on a drink that I thought I could bring onboard due to a medical condition however the gate lady said I had to throw it out. I asked for a glass of water and explained my medical condition, I never received my water. After I purchased the ticket thinking I had a great buy since I'm disabled and live on tight budget then got the shock of the baggage charge. I will go back to flying another airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by P Devoogd    (USA)

Standard

My $200 flight became $345 after all their additional fees per ticket. I didn't know I had to play for carry-on bags that they hit you at check in for. $50 a bag for each member of my family. We booked at different times and one of the confirmation numbers never arrived so I was not able to check in online the night before so I was charged more. When I called customer service and followed their menu and hit the number for what I needed, the menu started over. It took 15 minutes to find a number where I could speak to someone. What kind of airline does not tell you that you have a seat, you can't choose a seat, pay for carry-on (checked bags were less), require you to check in online so you can pay less for your bag (but I can't print boarding pass while on trip with no printer) etc. I just wasted 45 minutes and now spent more money than I would have if I booked on any normal airline. I will never fly on Spirit again regardless of the cost because of the headache it gives me.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by B Kallis    (USA)

Sep 12 2014, Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX - Chicago, IL - O'Hare, return Sep 14 2014. After looking at past reviews, I was concerned that I had made a mistake. I'm pleasantly surprised to have been mistaken. The majority of the complaints I have seen are related to spirits pricing. I was well aware that I was purchasing a "bare fare" and exactly what this meant. For me, it's not worth the additional fare charged by other airlines to have a "complimentary" snack and drink. I don't always require a larger carry-on, so their fee for carry-on bags is no problem for me. I appreciate having the option to decide on a per/trip basis exactly what I wish to pay for. The remainder of the complaints appear to be regarding delays, etc. I don't think these types of issues are unique to Spirit, as I have experienced similar hassles on other airlines, which charge higher fares. My flight out of Dallas was delayed (due to weather) and I received an email notifying me of the delay! No full-price airline has ever done this. This was a nice surprise. They also sent an email to my son, who was picking me up, as I had sent my itinerary to him from their site. Very helpful. The flight back was perfectly on time. The flight was great, staff on both trips were courteous, and as for space it did not feel any more cramped than other airlines. It's true, the seats do not "recline" if that's what you call the meagre movement the other airlines provide. The bottom line for me is Spirit provided me with affordable transportation from point A to point B without the so-called frills. I would definitely consider flying Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Edward Crouch    (USA)

NK660 Sept 6th Kansas City to Chicago, NK659 Sept. 10th. Chicago to Kansas City. I just completed my first round trip on Spirit Airlines and after reading the bad reviews, I have to write about what a totally good experience I had. The counter staff were extremely helpful and courteous to help me understand the nuances that Spirit clearly states on their website. The pilots were professional, the two A320's I flew on appeared to be in good condition and from my perspective were even comfortable.  The flight cabin crews were welcoming and attentive to safety issues. I felt Spirit was good value.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Kenneth Thompson    (USA)

Standard

In the past month I have flown with Spirit Airlines four times, and not by choice. I am a freelance designer and my travel was arranged by the company I was working for. However, I will never choose to travel with Spirit and strongly advise people to look elsewhere for a discounted fare. I understand the idea behind cutting amenities for a cheap ticket, but that does not mean the aircraft has to be completely filthy. Every one of my eight flights were delayed, and twice I was stranded overnight and left to my own devices to find lodging for the night. I have never experienced more deplorable customer service. Every single employee behind the Spirit counter looked and acted as though they would rather be shoving bamboo under their fingernails than helping anyone arrange flights or seating. It was so ludicrous at one point I honestly thought I was on a hidden camera show. This was not just one airport, it was at every airport I have been to.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Kirsten Blaikie    (UK)

Las Vegas to Ft Lauderdale, NK954. Fr Lauderdale to Orlando, NK138 on the red eye on 04/09/2014. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this airline at all! If you follow protocol and actually read the add on prices etc. you will get what you pay for. Budget airline that acts as a flying bus, if you want anything more than this you should pay for a more expensive airline. It gets you to exactly where you need to go. Staff couldn't have been anymore helpful and explained fully to us about the interconnecting flight as I was weary. If you can't handle their operation then use a different airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Gayle Kay    (USA)

Standard

Poor Customer Service, Poor Problem Solving, and Promises Unfulfilled. Spirit Airlines is the worst airline I've flown on. I needed to make last minute arrangements for my mother and I to fly to Los Angeles from O'Hare in June. Spirit Airlines provided transportation to our destination, but it was certainly cut-rate all the way. They charged $50 extra for any bag carried in addition to our purse. They also charged for water and peanuts. The seats were tightly squeezed together as I expected, but I didn't expect them not to recline. The return flight stopped in Dallas. In Dallas we were told about weather problems in Chicago. They kept us on the Dallas tarmac for 3 hours. After 3 hours our flight was cancelled and we waited in line for hours to reschedule. We were told there were no more Spirit flights available for the next 3 days, they were all sold out. The attendants at the Spirit counter promised a full refund for our return flight, which Spirit later would not honor. They did not fully refund the cost of the flight home, nor the baggage fees they charged us. Not only were we left on our own to find a seat on another airline at a much higher fare, they would not help with any basic needs for a frail women in her 80s, like water. Spirit’s offer to assist us find a hotel ended up with them overbooking us in a budget hotel already sold out of rooms. No one (including other passengers) was aware the hotel was sold out until after they arrived at the hotel. No additional help was offered to find a different hotel. No reimbursement was provided for the hotel or food. This was my first and last time flying on this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by D Matson    (USA)

Standard

I traveled round trip from Philadelphia to Myrtle Beach, a trip my son makes at least twice a year on Spirit. We would both highly recommend Spirit Airlines. Their fees were clearly outlined on their website when I was making the reservation and also in the multiple emails I received ahead of time. The service on the plane was excellent and both of my flights were on time if not early. My son's flights have consistently been on time as well. They're definitely bare bones as they advertise but nothing was hidden and their value can't be beat.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by A Muszynski    (USA)

We flew from Detroit to Myrtle Beach the flight there was fine however, the flight home the seats had crumbs and the tray tables had smeared food and were just plain awful. I brought the condition of our seats to the flight attendants attention and she said "if we can we will try to move you" needless to say she never come back to check on us or give us something to clean up with, luckily I had wipes to clean the seats and the tray tables - I was thankful it was only a two hour flight. A very long two hours.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by A Rowell    (USA)

Standard

LAX to San Jose, Costa Rica with a layover in Ft. Lauderdale. The worst experience on all fronts. Checked-in at the counter as I wasn't sure if my bag was one that I would have to pay for. He told me that as long as I put my purse in my carry-on and only had one item, I would be fine. I showed him my bag and he confirmed that I would not be charged for it. However, when boarding in Ft. Lauderdale, I was stopped by one of their employees who asked me if I paid for my bag. I told her no, she asked me if I had used the overhead compartment on my way there and I said, yes. She informed me that if I planned to use an overhead bin then I would need to pay them $100 immediately or I would not be able to bring my bag on my flight. I ended up paying the $100 in order to board my flight and I was made to feel like the whole thing was my fault - it was terrible. On the way back home, my friend and I decided to go online the night before as we were told that if we pay online, we only have to pay $30. When we went to pay, their website told us that we were not eligible to make payments at that time. So we still ended up having to pay $50 at the airport check in. Even if that baggage fiasco hadn't happen, this flight still would have been awful. The seats are the airline equivalent of plastic picnic chairs and you have to pay for water (even if your flight is 5hrs long). Coming home from San Jose, after going through security, my friend decided to fill her plastic water bottle so that she could have a little for the flight. Before boarding, they announced that they were going to re-search our bags and that we would have to dump out all liquids that we were carrying, my friend didn't think that they would actually prevent her from bringing airport water on to the flight but when they checked her bag they told her she either had to dump it or chug it. She chugged it. It is clear that every thing Spirit does is an extra attempt to take more money from you. I understand that they offer affordable flights but it is not worth all of the extra out-of-pocket cash and stress that they cause. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by A Nelson    (USA)

Standard

I am pretty mixed about Spirit Airlines. They don't support Military or Elderly discounts, so me being Military going home on leave, I had to spent a lot of money for four bags. That was horrible, and then they "nickel and dime" you for everything and anything extra. The seats weren't all that pleasant when it came to comfort but they were more spacious than other airlines surprisingly. I did get to my destination on time and I got all my luggage. Overall, I would not recommend this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Ruth Botz    (USA)

Standard

Detroit to Lima with my husband and 3 year old baby, good service, employees were nice. When I returned I did have 2 changes in my itinerary, but was a nice experience. I will use this airline again. No food and beverages, but we took food in our carry-on bag. No Inflight Entertainment but I took my baby's DVD player for keep him busy. We did exactly what they requested and we didn't have to pay any extra money.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by R Sublett    (USA)

Standard

How is this airline in business? Low airfare attracts people who travel with children and there were lots of them on my flight. New Orleans to Ft. Lauderdale, 5 hours late. Concessions at the airport had been closed on our concourse for 4 hours by the time the airplane arrived. The staff would not even give the kids a drink of water unless mom or dad shelled out $3 bucks. There is a difference between being a discount no frills airline and a cheap one. Spirit is just cheap. So if you like flying with people that have five kids they do not control, if you like missing connecting flights or arriving very late, by all means fly Spirit. You will not see me there. And by the way, no matter what, the staff will always tell you the delay is "weather" related.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by M Wyszynska    (USA)

This is by far the worst airline I have ever had the displeasure of flying. When I flew to Boston less than a month earlier with Delta the experience was great, unfortunately this time Spirit airlines has made not want to travel for a long time to come. When I flew with Delta the flight left and arrived at the same airports yet it was 100$ less with Delta. Also a carry on, drinks and snacks were all complimentary with Delta. With Spirit a carry on (not check in, that's more) costs 50$ each way if you pay online and $100 each way if you pay at the gate, a small water bottle costs 3$ and poor quality snacks even more. The worst part was when I checked the flight status before heading to the airport the flight said on time. When I got here I found out that it would be almost 6 hours late. Even now over an hour and a half after the scheduled departure time the Spirit airlines website is still showing that the flight is on time. When Delta left late they apologized and offered complimentary drinks and snacks while we waited, Spirit airline hardly has an attendant at the counter and when he is here he's on the phone making personal calls.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Nefdavid Torres    (USA)

Big

Spirit has no standard operating procedures. I traveled from Houston to Orlando from Sept. 6th to Sept. 10th. I had the típica carry on suitcase that fits on the overhead compartment. Leaving Houston I was able to get on the plane free of charge. When I got to the gate at the Orlando Airport I was notified that I had to pay for the bag. I expressed to the gate supervisor that I was not charge at Houston airport and questioned him as of why I had to pay. He expressed that it was not their fault that Houston was not doing their job properly. He had no empathy towards me and or the couple that had the same situation beside me.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Sussex Paul    (USA)

Standard

Hands down the worst airline I have every flown on - small seats and horrible customer service. Marketing and charges are deceptive and intended to confuse. Never fly with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Raisa Brocco    (USA)

Standard

I traveled from Ft Lauderdale to Detroit and the flight was fine, uncomfortable airplane but for the price what can you do. On the way back to Fort Lauderdale the flight was delayed for 3 hours? I will never flight with Spirit again, even with free tickets!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by A Bonomo    (USA)

Big

Ft. Lauderdale, Sep 4, flight 657 to New Orleans and departed Flight 680, Sep 5 from New Orleans to Ft.Lauderdale. This airline is the worst. I have flown many airlines and have never had such a bad flying experience. The staff were very rude and all the unexpected fees doubled my price. It is no savings with a small carry on at $50 dollars and if I want to sit by my child had to pay $18 dollars for seats together. So my payment went up $136 each way.. not so great the plane smelled fowl and seats are cramped and very uncomfortable. Make sure you book a massage the next day, you will need it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Evans Yolanda    (USA)

Standard

I am normally an American Airlines passenger and vowed to never stray from them. However, when planning my trip to Vegas from Dallas Spirit had the best arrival time and departure time for me. So, I decided to give Spirit a try. I, as well as others, heard a lot of negative things about Spirit, but I like to try things out for myself and give my own opinion of the airline. I must say I did read all there were to read about Spirit so that I wouldn't be caught with unexpected "price" surprises. I must say that even though the flight was tight as far as room I enjoyed the airline. Yes, they do charge for choosing more leg rooms, luggage, and snacks, but overall it was worth the money that I paid. Checking in and checking baggage were no problem. Spirit also sent emails informing me of my flight status. I just might give them a try again for my future trip.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by Raj Banerjee    (USA)

Standard

Not sure how this airline is still around with the abysmal service and ridiculous delays. Flight to Chicago from Boston two days ago delayed by 3 hours. Today the return flight is delayed for three and a half and counting. Not weather delay mind you. Please avoid this airline. Not worth the meagre fare savings.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by Francois East    (Canada)

Standard

Economy flight is economy service, do not expect US Airways first class service for a fraction of the price. Seats are uncomfortable, no entertaining system in the headrest, no free drinks, user payer system, bare fare, smaller size and lighter weight allowance for luggage. There is still an economy. We had the choice driving down to Florida from Quebec with two young kids and two adults for holiday, or flying from Plattsburgh and rent a car. There was only a $200 total difference counting meals and motels plus 6 days of driving back and forth. So we took this. Expect a slow service and read all user rules and conditions and you will be satisfied. For sure if you do not read that the registered item is max 40 pounds and you bring a 45 pounds item you will be charged with no exceptions because its cheaper for the rest. Read what you agree to buy before buying and there will be no or not many complains.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by F G Ross    (USA)

Standard

My wife and I flew Spirit from Las Vegas to Houston Texas in Feb 2014. It was so cramped, it felt like we were in a sardine can. I just read in the news that Spirit is the cheapest on leg room in the entire industry and that on an Airbus 320 they pack 178 passengers into the plane while United only packs in 138 passengers. Spirit charge for everything. We will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by A Ellis    (USA)

Standard

Flight 484, DFW to PHL, 8/28/14. Flight 215, PHL to DFW. 9/2/14. We had a good experience with Spirit Airlines. Some people only see that they "nickel and dime" you, but the truth is they gave a reduced price so that all the other things can be optional. We liked the plane we flew going out to Philadelphia and coming back to Dallas too! It was great and one of the things I liked most was the great customer service from the crew.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by William McCall    (USA)

My wife and I booked a round trip flight from New Orleans to Fort Lauderdale, Florida to take a 20th Anniversary cruise on Carnival. I did take the time to read the information that Spirit publishes on their website so there were no surprises for us. Beginning with our arrival at the New Orleans airport their employees were all most courteous, helpful and this extended throughout both the originating and return flights. Spirit sells you what you want, and does not sell you what you don't want or need. We paid for the equivalent of first class seats as well as checked bags and still came out hundreds of dollars less than the cost of first class service on any other airline. Both flights were smooth and on time. The flight crews did a very good job of getting everyone on board and ready to go on time. We would not hesitate to fly them again. I'm thankful they offer the option of a-la- carte flying.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Mary Grant    (USA)

Big

I checked in the day before and printed the boarding pass, paid for the checked baggage which I have no problem with. The instructions said go to the Fast Bag Check. It was a holiday weekend at LAX, one of the busiest airports in the world. There was no "Fast Bag Check" and only one check in counter open. I was in line more than hour before the flight time with about 4 people in front of me. The line moved slowly until there was one customer in front of me. It then came to a complete halt for about 30 minutes. The customer was paying for baggage with cash and they had no change. The check in person walked aimlessly around to other airlines asking fir change and then just stood at his counter doing nothing. He refused to check in any other customers. When he eventually got change and I got to his counter he asked where are you going and I said Dallas, he laughed and said "too bad, the flight has left". I replied no my flight was in 30 mins to which he laughed and said "check in closes 45 mins before the flight". I said I was in line well before 45 minutes and he had spent 30 minutes waiting for change when he could have helped others. He ignored me and called out to the next person in line. They too were going to Dallas and so was everybody in line. Everybody complained but he refused to do anything. The next flight was 7pm that evening and it would be an extra $267. I paid the $267 reluctantly. He would not check me in and made a snide comment about making sure I wasn't late next time or I wouldn't be allowed on that flight. The 7pm flight was delayed "due to maintenance" until 8, 9 and then eventually 10 pm. While waiting at the airport. I decided to check the flight online. The price if the flight was $92 and I had been charged $87 plus an extra $267. That was it I went straight to the boarding desk. Luckily the agent at the desk was really sympathetic and acted like he wasn't surprised, apologized and without me asking refunded the $267 and upgraded my seat to the most expensive seat for free. The flight attendants were actually very pleasant and helpful but the plane was so cold. The flight attendants were wearing sweaters and thick tights. Several passengers complained about the temperature but nothing was done. I arrived in Dallas at 3am and had to spend another $100 on a taxi because I could not have the person who was picking me up be up until that time in the morning. Never again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by J Finlay    (USA)

Standard

4 hours late from Las Vegas to San Diego. Poor communications, no one at the gate. I was given a 7$ meal voucher 15 minutes before we boarded, and that was only because I asked.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by S Roy    (USA)

Standard

I was a first-time passenger on Spirit Airlines, and unfortunately my experience was not a good one. Before online check-in, I was unable to reach customer service by phone. The FAQ section did not address my concern, so I expected to "talk" to a person there. All one gets when calling the phone # provided is one prompt after another, with no "speak to rep" option. The 4 takeoff and landings for my destination were all 2+ hours late. If you want to get there on time or even slightly later, forget flying with Spirit Airlines. Their routes are ridiculous. My flight from Kansas City to Minneapolis took me to Chicago first, where I had a long layover, which ended up even longer due to bad weather in Chicago. That was understandable, but flight out of Chicago on return flight was delayed without explanation. A flight from KC to Mpls is actually only 1.5 hrs, but it took me all day in airports and in Spirit planes to get there.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by J Prassas    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit out of Philly to Las Vegas during Labor Day Weekend and I have to say this was by far the worst flying experience I've had. There is zero customer service skills among the staff - that and no communication between staff and customers regarding delays. I sat on the runway for a good hour before my friend asks the flight attendant what the delay was about and her response was "the jet is being fuelled", funny because there was absolutely no fuel truck in sight. We come to find out there was a mechanical issue with the plane. Where did they get those seats from. I'm by no means a large girl but those seats made me feel large, I was unbearably uncomfortable. The seats didn't recline, there was absolutely no leg room, and the seats were so close together that I could smell the breath of the person next to me. The temperature in the plane was so cold. If you think you're getting complimentary water think again - Spirit Airline nickles and dimes you for absolutely everything including water. $320 round trip from Philly to Vegas seems like a good deal until you add in the $90 for just a carry on and $3 for water and additional costs for any other drink or snack. If you are looking for a cheap flight you will find it on Spirit Airlines along with a cheap experience and lying staff members.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by A King    (USA)

Just yesterday I had the worst experience I've ever had with any airline We were booked to fly out of Cancun directly to Dallas with Spirit Airlines. They had overbooked the flight by about 7 people and everyone showed up, some people volunteered to give up their seats for the usual compensation package. My partner and I checked in online in the morning prior to the flight. We arrived to the airport and waited at the check in counter as they were getting another couple checked in, printed boarding passes, checked luggage, and sent those passengers on their way to the gate. They however, denied us help, denied offering any customer service or compensation because they said we had arrived too late to print off boarding passes, but they did admit to use that they had knowledge of our online check in. Then, while we were standing at the counter with 4 other passengers, Spirit Airlines proceeded to book flights, and offer hotel and ticket compensation to the other passengers. I will never fly Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Diana Oquendo    (USA)

Standard

Whatever little bit of money you save when you book your flight they are going to get back in outrageous fees. My dad came to visit us from Bogota. The flight here was delayed 2 hours for no apparent reason. No apologies or explanations given. They didn't even offer him a cup of coffee or water! This is an international flight. Water and crackers are pretty standard! He got lost in the airport because their flight attendants fail to tell the passengers where to claim their bags. Since they ended up arriving around 2am half of the airport (ATL) was not in service and there was nobody available to give any information. We dropped him off this morning to go back home and I am hoping things go better after the rough start we had this morning. I have never seen such terrible customer service. These people were rude. Their kiosk to do self check in was very slow to the point I wasn't sure if it was working. A woman from the airline started to come toward me so I thought she was coming to help me. She actually asked me where he was going and snatched his passport out of my hands stood in front of the computer and cancelled where I was trying to do the self check in. Then she told us to get in line. The we went to the very crowded counter only to get yelled at by to more of their employees. Then they proceed to charge him extra for an "overweight" bag. We were never told that their limit was 40lb instead of the standard 50 - his bag was 48lb! They were charging people for carry ons that were very small.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by T Matheny    (USA)

Standard

Flight 600 from Atlanta to Dallas, July 16th, and Flight 877 from Dallas to Atlanta on July 18th. I even question why there is a place to write a review on such an unbelievably classless company. The worst travel experience. The flight was delayed 3 hrs in arriving to our gate. The flight was delayed 1 hr after boarding. The flight was delayed yet again at the destination gate. On the flight, the flight attendants were very crude, and borderline confrontational to paying customers. When I asked for a cup of water, the flight attendant responded, "No way, this is Spirit Air where you don't get anything for free!" I understand the principal of a discount airline is to pass down the savings to the customer, however to do so at the expense of professionalism is certainly not worth the savings. This was my first, and certainly last flight with Spirt Airlines. Take heed and do not fly Spirit airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Toya Rajae Hasia    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines is the most awful business I've ever been forced to use. Not only did they charge me $45 dollars just to check my carry on, they delayed our flight three times, making us 4 hours late getting home. I missed my ride from the airport, missed an important meeting, and spent more money on airport dinner than expected because of these clowns. Then, they refused to compensate on the first delay! Will never use them again. Don't expect any complimentary water, it's $3 a bottle, right along with the $10 charged to print your boarding pass.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Joseph Sapp    (USA)

Standard

I flew with Spirit via round trip from BWI to LAS. Most of the time their website was down or didn't work. When I arrived at BWI, not a single person at the check in desk. Their so called carry on cost $50 at the counter or $100 at the gate. Once on the aircraft, the seats didn't even recline and felt like there was no padding at all! If you requested a seat, oh yes, another charge of at least $18. Now combined seat charge, carry on charge, you can expect to pay up to $236.00 on top of the so called "cheap flight". I will "never " fly on this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by K Mapstone    (USA)

Standard

I decided to fly Spirit in spite of negative publicity regarding baggage and other fee extortion because the times worked the best. I did not have a problem with my baggage because I was diligent about adhering to the size and weight restrictions. Unfortunately, my flights were delayed both ways (one due to flight crew not showing up and the other due to weather). This was the least legroom between seats that I have ever experienced on any flight. Not to mention, I had two people sitting next to me on the first flight who both were way too big for their seats, making it impossible to get up to go to the restroom during the flight. It would make sense for the flight crew to manage these situations because it is unsafe and unreasonably uncomfortable. The flight back was equally miserable. The elderly father and his son sitting next to me were also first time Spirit flyers, and we spent most of the flight discussing how we would never fly Spirit again since they had similar bad experiences. There were two empty rows in front of us, and the son - very tall - sitting next to me asked the flight attendant if he could move into one of them. The flight attendant said he had to wait until the plane was in the air, and then two very rude women were allowed to take seats in those rows about 30 seconds later (before the plane even moved from the gate). The woman who took the row of seats directly in front of us weighed approximately 350 lbs and spent the flight lying across all three seats snoring loudly, while we sat in our sardine accommodations behind her. I knew not to expect frills, but flying Spirit reminded me of an airborne Greyhound bus filled with the people of Walmart. Now that I have experienced it, I know that it's worth it to change my schedule and pay whatever it takes to fly another airline. I realize that Spirit is one of the most profitable US based airlines with more than enough people to market this low-end service to; however, I would strongly encourage my friends to pursue other options for their air travel. Most people I know care about service and would be equally disgusted by the Spirit experience.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Ann Scott    (USA)

Standard

You can only carry a purse or a small backpack not a carry on. A "carry on" is an additional $50. All refreshments are for purchase. To choose your seat is an additional $18. To get a boarding pass from a representative at the counter is an additional $10. I flew to Houston from LA. For my returning flight, 2 of the 4 kiosks were out of service to self check in. I had to wait in the same line as the people that were paying for all of their baggage and get boarding passes trying to avoid the $10 fee. My flight was at 11.25, I got to the kiosk at 10.41 and my pass wouldn't print. I get to the representative and he tells me I've missed my flight that leaves 40 minutes later. I had to check in by 10.40. They had no more flights leaving that day and the next day's flight was oversold. (What airline only has one flight to Los Angeles). They couldn't book me on another flight for 2 days. I had to buy a same-day one-way ticket on another airline or wait 2 days to get home. I will never fly Spirit again. The fair is not cheaper. By the time you're finished purchasing all the things you'll need, a fair ends up as much as, if not more than any of their competitors.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Onukwuru Chima    (USA)

Standard

Booked a flight to Dallas from Philadelphia that was to depart at 12.15pm. Get to the airport and try to check in, I get informed that my flight is now delayed for another 3 hours. It's understandable that things do occur but what upsets me is that, I got NO notification of the delay. It's very unprofessional for the Airline to not inform it's customers of a change such as that.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Anna Edmondson    (USA)

Standard

This was my partner and my first experience flying Spirit Air. Our flight out to Boston was flawless. After about 3 hours of delays in Boston MA where our return trip started, we were told despite the delays that the plane we were on would still be the one we stayed on all the way to Portland OR. We were told this twice in Boston airport by Spirit Airline personnel. In Chicago they asked us to stay on the plane, come through to take our tickets, and announced as we were taxiing onto the runway that the plane wouldn't be continuing on to San Diego after LV. Any passengers continuing on to Portland OR were all set because this plane would be going straight from Las Vegas to Portland OR after a brief stop. In Las Vegas we were asked to disembark while they changed flight crews and cleaned up. We were told to stay right at the gate so we could re-board as quickly as possible. When we got into the terminal, we double checked with the representative at the gate that this was where we would be re-boarding our flight and she barked back at us, rudely and accusingly, "No, this isn't your flight, you missed your flight. This plane is going to LA. Your flight took off hours ago". We were shocked. Ourselves and about 30 other passengers were sent to the next gate where we spent 2 hours trying to get an explanation and resolution. We were lied to by Spirit Airline Representatives multiple times. They offered 10% off two night stay in Las Vegas hotels and a spot on the Monday 4.30pm flight. Or a refund of the portion of our trip from Las Vegas to Portland OR. Most of us needed to get home for work Monday. We asked, both through the company representative at the gate, and through the customer service hotline, that Spirit Airlines rectify the problem they had created. Some of us were desperate enough to ride a bus all the way to Portland. When that was turned down as a solution by Spirit, we asked that at the very least, we be treated the same way overflow passengers are. Meal vouchers, a free round- trip ticket, and free hotel stays. That was also turned down. In the middle of the night, in an empty airport, my partner and I had to find a courtesy phone and book a Sunday morning flight with another airline, charging over $700 to my credit card, just so we could be home in time to go to work on Monday. The entire experience was stressful and the way Spirit Airlines handled the situation was ridiculous. Not I, nor anybody I know, will ever fly Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by S Layton    (USA)

Big

My son had a scheduled flight at 10.30am today. They pull out only to turn around and go back into the terminal for a problem. He has sat in the terminal since 10.30am and no news and they don't update. He is 18 and when he walked over to ticket counter to get an update, he was given a nasty answer and no info. We live 2 hours from the airport and would say spending 500$ to fly to Florida is not exactly cheap and the service is lousy! No news if his plane will ever leave!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by A Emanuel    (USA)

This airline is the worst! As I'm typing this review I'm sitting in an airport waiting on a delayed flight. It was Spirits first flight of the day from PHL to Myrtle Beach and the weather is perfect for a Labor Day weekend, so one would not think a flight would be delayed. The reason for the delay is that the flight staff got in really late last night so in order to stay in compliance with the employment rules they must rest. I completely understand that, but instead of Spirit sending the passengers an email/text because they had advance notice of this delay they just let people show up at the crack of dawn for nothing! Any savings you get from purchasing a Spirit ticket will be offset by extra fees (extra time spent for parking in the garage, seat fees, baggage fees, and tons of indirect fees), lost time (I could've slept in), headaches, and bad customer service. My first and last time flying with this airline. Future passengers you've been warned.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by S Lewis    (USA)

Standard

My husband's incoming flight (on another airline) decided to hold everyone on the plane for 45 minutes because customs was busy. This left him with (and a lot of other people) about 40 minutes before his Spirit flight was scheduled to depart (the last one). They wouldn't let him or anyone else check in! And there were no available flights for 2 days. Spending not just one but two nights in the airport is ridiculous. With fees, etc., it's more a case of buyer beware, but the absolute lack of a single damn given about your passengers is unacceptable. If you knew everyone was going to be stranded for 2 days, why decide it was too close to departure (at more than 30 minutes before) to let anyone check in? Instead, most people got to spend a glorious 3-day, 2-night vacation in the Ft. Lauderdale airport. With you know, no open restaurants, no place to lie down. And customer service? Laughable. Needless to say, we will never be flying Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Beryl Zhao    (USA)

Standard

Was nervous about the airline after reading all the negative reviews, but if you honestly know that you're getting into a discount airline with unbundled pricing - pay for each additional service you receive - it's really not bad. Pre-register and prepay for your bags beforehand. I mean, for its target demographic (apparently) of fun- spirited weekend travelers carrying only a duffel bag or a backpack on them, it's a steal. I will definitely fly if I have to interview in one of their cities they carry. My only complaint was that the flight attendants were goofing off and did not try to give an appearance of professionalism or competency. But that's just my thing -they were nice and helpful people overall.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by N Grimley    (USA)

Standard

I flew Detroit to Minneapolis. Flight on time, arrived early. No problems. This was my first flight on Spirit. I had low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised. Perhaps I was just lucky on this flight. I even checked a bag for $30. Cheaper than carrying one of, $35. So no carry on - I mean no - nothing carried on. I think as long as you know what you are possibly getting yourself in to, and you don't mind delays and no frills, the experience will be ok. That's my take for my first flight anyway. Who knows, my next flight might not go so smoothly.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Sanchez Pablo    (USA)

Standard

August 20th from Bogota Colombia to Orlando Florida, to Dallas/Ft.Worth. The worst airline I have ever flown. We were held on the aircraft for 2 hours before we were finally allowed to depart the plane. We missed our connecting flight and when we tried to work the issue out with the attendants they were absolutely rude. I do not recommend this airline to anyone and will no longer use this airline. There is no cost savings using the company.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Spence Anthony    (USA)

Spirit Airlines should be renamed "Broken Spirit Airlines", because their spirit is broken, and they want to break their passengers spirit too. Our flight from Boston to Atlanta was delayed 4 hours. The return flight was also delayed by around the same time. I flew first class, wasn't given anything extra, no free drink or snack.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by S Hickey    (USA)

They had a 6 hour delay from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale and the flight was to continue to Tampa but they took that flight #615 and made a new flight and left about 14 passengers stranded at 1am at the airport. They also told us the next flight going out was at 10pm that night. They offered us a partial credit of our flight which that leg was worth $69 or we could fly into Orlando. We fly into Orlando with no way to get to Tampa. No Spirit flights from Orlando to Tampa. Cost me another $100 for a rental since I was picking my vehicle up in Orlando and dropping off in Tampa. Customer service is horrendous. I spent 36 hours awake and landed at an airport I never asked to be at and it cost me more money thanks to Spirit. Whatever you think you will save forget it go with someone else otherwise you will regret it, I did. A water and tea cost $5.00.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by P Cosper    (USA)

Their "bare fare" is too bare. Not even water? Really? It is painfully obvious Spirit cares nothing about their customers and only about making money. I selected Spirit because the flight was going to get me in a few hours earlier and I needed to be there for business. Both flights on the way down to Vegas were delayed which caused me to be late to my meetings. After being stuck on the plane for over two hours more than I was supposed to be, I wasn't able to get complimentary water. The return flight was also delayed over an hour (but there was no mention of the delay at the gate and the flight duration was 30 minutes longer than stated). No apologies just snarky attitudes from the attendants. Those in the "budget seats" were crammed in tight and often reminded over the loud speaker that we were in the "budget" seats. When it was time to disembark, the attendant said "get out" over the loud speaker. The mobile app doesn't work properly on an iPhone. I couldn't even check in. I can't say one thing good about the experience.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Marsha Rollins    (USA)

Standard

I have used Spirit several times so far. Each time it gets worst! The tickets are inexpensive but the baggage fees are ridiculous. The seats are very uncomfortable! It was hot on the plane with a lot of babies screaming. The cabin and the laboratory were dirty. It were a very depressing flight. I don't think I will use them again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by E DiPego    (USA)

Standard

Flew to MN for the weekend delayed 3 times on the way there and on the way back twice. On the way home, they kept us on runway for an hour, deboarded us, another hour went by, reboarded us and when we were all on they announced that people with connections to Tampa should get off since they were going to miss connection. 2 minutes later, announced all passengers with connections to CA should get off as well. They also charged me $100 at the gate for a bag that they did not charge me for on the way there.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by M Voshell    (USA)

Standard

They canceled mine and many other passenger's connecting flight from Chicago to New York and I did not receive any explanation until two hours later. They offer you nothing but the chance at a partial refund or a flight two days later. No hotel, no food, no other transportation. The best they could begrudgingly offer was to live in the airport for two days while I wait for the "next available flight". When you sleep on the cots in the airport, they wake you up at 4am sharp and make you clear out. I suspect it's so as few other passengers as possible are aware of the shanty town that needed constructing. I only got 2.5 hours of sleep before getting booted. I was perfectly friendly throughout the entire ordeal and yet every Spirit employee showed overt contempt for the plight brought to Spirit customers by the company's own greed and ineptitude.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by John Snellings    (USA)

Standard

I just came off flight 404 from Atlanta to Dallas. It was the most uncomfortable flight I have ever been on. Not only was there no leg room - the cabin was so cold I was shivering, just miserable. Not worth it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Hugh Davis    (USA)

Standard

Flew from Las Vegas to Denver today. Flight was 2.5 hours late. I asked if they would at least give us a free coke during the flight since we all missed dinner. "Yes", the person scanning our tickets said. But when we were en-route, no freebies. Cokes were still $3, Coffee: $2. I think 1 person onboard ordered something. Everyone was too ticked off to give the airline another cent.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Joseph Hammer    (USA)

Standard

Before flying with Spirit, I actually looked to see what to expect. I mean, if someone hopes to be getting four star service, they should have already erased that idea after looking at the price! My departing flight from DFW to Portland was delayed by about 90 minutes because of weather from an earlier flight. That wasn't the airline's fault, and they were pretty nice about it. I looked up to see what to expect and got what I expected. Their great price is totally worth it because of the amount of money that you save. Yes I believe that this airline should be a 2-star airline, but when you want to get from point A to point B cheap, go Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Donna Cerreta    (USA)

Standard

This was our first experience with Spirit and probably the last. The flight was scheduled for 10.40, my son arrived early to check in and was told it would be delayed as they were awaiting a part? It was then pushed back further because they were awaiting a crew member so needless to say the flight didn't take off until 1.30. The airline has no regard for its passengers and its not worth the cheaper fares.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Raul Pool    (USA)

Standard

Flying home FL to LaGuardia NY (first attempt) was told I would miss my connecting flight in Ft. Lauderdale since the flight coming into Bogota was delayed. They blamed air traffic. When I went home again the next day they made us deplane in Ft Lauderdale, go through customs, wait for our luggage then bring it to our connecting flight. There was no way to make the connecting flight at all with only an hour between flights. If they knew we had to go through all this why do they offer a flight with times like that, we were told we could either get a room at our own expense or sleep at the airport. Be aware of no customer service and be ready to sleep in the airport.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Sheila Etienne    (USA)

Standard

DFW-PHL. No value for money here. Nickel and dimed at every point. This my first and last time on Spirit. You may save an initial $50 but you have to pay to select your seats. I wouldn't pay so my son sat at the other end of the plane. You have to pay for carry on and check in luggage and even any beverages. Never mind that we were delayed both ways. Departing from Philly they couldn't even give us a good reason.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Lynn Harris    (USA)

I booked my husband and his brother on a flight from MSP to Dallas. My husband had a small backpack and a small carry on bag - but with wheels. Both would get through okay on Sun Country and Delta - ones we are used to flying. He had to pay $45 to carry his wheeled one on and $100 on the way back. He said he couldn't believe how many people had to pay the $100 bag fee. We will never fly Spirit again. No beverages or snacks complimentary on board.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Maegan Fortune    (USA)

Standard

I have flown with Spirit several times in the past. Although not always a pleasant experience, this was, by far, the worst. I always check in the day before online and print my ticket. However, this occasion I was only able to check in. The email that Spirit sent with the ticket would not open or print. So I was left to print it at the airport. Unfortunately, a car accident delayed traffic and I was late getting to the airport. I got to the desk 45 minutes before the flight was supposed to take off, but because I didn't have a printed boarding pass, the customer service representative would not check in my luggage. I was told that the next available flight wouldn't be until two days later. No other airlines or nearby airports were checked for vacancy. The customer representative then proceeded to give me the information for my next flight and began talking to the customer behind me, as if I was not standing there. Three other families were in the same situation. I will never be flying with Spirit Airlines again. They certainly live up the their reputation of being the "most complained about airline," and rightly so! They deserve all of their 1/10 stars.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Mary Broderick    (USA)

Standard

My daughter and I traveled from Philadelphia to Dallas. I was aware of Spirit's policy of paying for only the amenities you are going to use, and packed accordingly. Before heading for the airport we checked to make sure our flight was on time, and the website indicated the flight was scheduled to leave at 12.15pm as planned. When we arrived at the extremely crowded gate we discovered that the plane we were supposed to fly on was scheduled to fly to Myrtle Beach before returning to Philadelphia to travel to Dallas. The Myrtle Beach flight which was supposed to leave at 7.30am had not departed because the plane had a flat tyre. Spirit had to send to their Atlantic City Facility for a replacement which was an an hour and 15 minutes away. When the replacement arrived, the crew discovered that they had brought the wrong tyre, so they had to make another 2.5 hour round trip drive to Atlantic. They finally got it right and the 7.30 flight to Myrtle beach finally left at 1.30pm. The plane finally arrived back in Philadelphia and we departed at 5.30pm for our 12.15pm flight: 6 hours late. Instead of arriving at 2.30pm in Dallas we arrived around 8.45pm. When we printed our boarding passes to return to Philly the next day we found that our reservation had been cancelled because we were listed as no shows for the trip from Philly to Dallas. We called Spirit, we were told that we were lying and hadn't been on the flight to Dallas. After spending an hour and a half on the phone the staff member agreed to schedule us for our flight to Philly, but we would have to present the other half of our boarding pass from the previous flight or be charged again for the full amount of the return trip. When we got to the Spirit desk at the airport we found that other customers had also had their return flight mysteriously cancelled. We eventually boarded the flight back to Philly, and arrived on time. I've been flying other airlines for may years and although we have had occasional delays, or lost bags we have never experienced this level of rudeness or incompetence. We were offered a fifty dollar voucher for another Spirit flight for our inconvenience, which we politely refused since we will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by E Murray    (USA)

Standard

Round trip Myrtle Beach to Boston. Flight in was supposed to arrive at 12.30am but we didn't get in until nearly 3am. The staff seemed to have no clue what they were doing, moving children and parents multiple times because of confusion over the emergency row. Flight back was just as frustrating. I booked my flight leaving plenty of time to get to my 10am class, yet my 5am flight was delayed again. I asked a staff member why and in very broken English she replied "plane need rest". I very calmly told her that it didn't leave me enough time and began to talk about how my previous flight was also delayed and she put a hand up and shooed me. Staff were rude. You think you're getting a deal and flying cheaper, but they nickel and dime you so much that you may as well have paid for the luxury of a more 'competent' airline. Never flying Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by R Jackson    (USA)

Standard

ATL to IAH and return was a good experience. On time (even with a rain storm coming into ATL), friendly, comfortable seats, quick luggage service at both airports, and fair priced snacks. Better than other trips on other airlines. I wish bag weight was 50 lbs instead of 40 lbs, but with a heavy personal carry on we made it work.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by S Gray    (USA)

Standard

I'm sitting on the plane waiting for my first Spirit flight to take off. This is by far the worst airline experience I have had and the flight has not even taken off yet! I fly 20-30 times a year - usually on Southwest - and due to timing opted for Spirit for this trip. We first arrive to check-in and we are instructed to use the kiosk to print boarding passes and check our bags. We start using the barely functioning, slow as molasses kiosk and it puts 2 bags on one person. First bag is $45 and second bag is $55. So $100. However there were two people checking in so it would've been more economical for us to charge one bag per person ($45 per bag each person = $90). But the system just decides to charge one person $100. Alright, we'll just get it fixed with the desk lady. Nope, not really! She "can't help". But she can inform us that our carry on bag costs $50 more too. They charge for every bag - carry on and checked, plus surcharges for more than one bag. The bag fees are one thing, but the fact that they don't communicate their fees in advance and clearly is whole other issue. I have never been through a check-in line being yelled at either. Some Spirit employee was taking it upon herself to bark commands at the customers checking in. If there was the option to rate in negative stars I would!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by N Sanchez    (USA)

My flight to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) was delayed over two hours leaving from Puerto Rico because of a controllable human error. My husband ended up missing my connecting flight to Denver. Spirit Airlines failed to provided me with any accommodations other than charging me for an additional two airline tickets. They provided me with a vague customer phone line that leads to nowhere because the voice recorder keeps repeating the same message. Once I was able to get a hold of a representative he acted like he couldn't hear me on the phone. After waiting for more than an hour they told me that they couldn't help me. This airline business practices are not only questionable, but unethical. I have been stuck at Fort Lauderdale airport over 12 hours. We are senior citizens and through the course of ten hours we have seen over 3 families with the same issue.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Praveen Hosdurg Ramdas    (USA)

Standard

I would never travel with Spirit in the future and would not recommend. I booked my tickets from MSP to TMP (via Chicago) on 25 Aug and the flight was delayed. Everyone was asked to board the flight and after a 1 hr delay sitting on the plane, flight attendants told passengers to deboard. After boarding again they asked all passengers traveling to Tampa to deboard again, told we could not be put on another flight until 27th Aug. After waiting almost 45 mins I asked for a refund. Staff were very unpleasant.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by B Devin    (USA)

Standard

I will never fly Spirit again. Not only are their staff disgracefully rude, but they make false claims about how cheap their fares are. They may not make their money on their flight fares, but they make up for it by charging hefty fares for carry on and checked luggage. I recently flew Spirit for an hour long flight. It was the first time I'd flown with them for a while and I was unaware of them charging for a carry on. I had a very small carry on luggage with me, and I thought nothing of it until I walked up to board my flight was told by the attendant, "young lady, step aside." The flight had already been delayed an hour and would cause me to miss my connecting flight. She pointed to another attendant, who was even more rude. She told me my bag would cost $100, a bag that could fit under the seat. There was no option but to pay or miss the flight I'd waited an extra hour on. I will never book another flight with the airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Emeric Bechi    (USA)

Standard

My flight was scheduled to leave Atlanta (5.59pm) to Dallas (7.10pm) and Dallas (7.45pm) to my final destination Detroit (11.22pm). Instead, my flight from Atlanta was delayed by 1hr for no apparent reason. So arriving in Dallas at around 8.00pm, my connecting flight to Detroit had already gone. We (about 15 of us with final destination Detroit) were told to talk to the Spirit concierge at our arrival gate in Dallas in order to get a new ticket issued with final destination Detroit. My new ticket was from Dallas to Kansas to Las Vegas and then to Detroit. Our flight leaving from Dallas to Kansas was delayed again but the concierge told us that we would not have to switch planes because they'd be using the same plane to go to Vegas. I wanted to double check so I asked the flight attendant on board the Dallas to Kansas flight and he told me the same thing and added that actually we would not have to switch planes on the way to our final destination Detroit. I believed him but when we arrived in Las Vegas they told us all to get off the plane and that we were going to use a different plane to Detroit. Our connecting plane to Detroit had already left again because of the delay we incurred in Dallas. It was around 11pm pacific time and the next available flight was schedule for the next day at 8am. This meant we had to spend the night in Vegas which is not necessarily a bad thing but they refused to offer any accommodation whatsoever. I had no choice but to sleep in the airport because this was unplanned! This was my first time flying them and is definitely going to be my last.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by B Terranova    (USA)

Standard

I am so disappointed with Spirit Airlines. Not only was my flight to my destination pushed back an hour, simply because they were running behind schedule, but my flight returning home was as well! This company is in no way efficient or effective. They overcharge for bags and provide nothing complimentary on the flight. Not even one beverage, or even peanuts. Moreover, even though I checked in only about an hour and a half before the flight they neglected to tell me it was running late causing me to rush to my flight only to find out I have to wait another hour. In all honesty, I will never fly with Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by L Falco    (USA)

Standard

Flying home from Bogota Colombia to Laguardia (first attempt) was told I would miss my connecting flight in Ft. Lauderdale since the flight coming into Bogota was delayed. (They blamed air traffic). When I went home again the next day they made us deplane in Ft Lauderdale, go through customs, wait for our luggage then bring it to our connecting flight. There was no way to make the connecting flight at all with only an hour between flights. If they knew we had to go through all this why do they offer a flight with times like that, we were told we could either get a room at our own expense or sleep at the airport.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Sidney Jordan    (USA)

Standard

This is the worst airline to fly on. No leg room for standard seating. You have to pay for everything separately and once your finish the cost is much higher. If I could change my ticket to another airline I would. But I will be leaving Florida on Monday 18th August. The 9 dollar club is a joke. Customer service is the awful. This is one customer Spirit has lost. Be aware. You're paying for bad service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by S Wickware    (USA)

Standard

My sister and I also had to pay $50 for a very small carry on at DFW. We traveled to Las Vegas. We had delays going and coming back, we were charged $100 for our bags! I can't believe the airlines can get away with this! We felt like we were robbed! Something should be done about this unfair practice! Travelers Beware.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Steve Johnson    (USA)

Standard

Horrible airline. Minneapolis to Denver. Aug. 13 to Aug. 17 and return trip. 3 hour delay before leaving and 1.5 hour delay before returning. After a 3 hour delay might expect a free complimentary drink but nothing is free on that airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Robert Bojarski    (USA)

Standard

Book if you like sleeping in airports. This is a review for my daughter and her friend. Flight from Lima arrived late. Missed connection to Baltimore. Waited 12 hours for next flight only to be told it's overbooked and the next flight is in 3 days. This is after they confirmed the seats for my daughter and her friend. But wait that's not all. They flew another airline home to Reagan National. Next day went to get luggage at BWI, surprise, surprise luggage lost.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by W Owen    (USA)

Standard

If you just want to get from point A to B cheaply with 1 bag and don't really care how you get there, as long as it gets you there, Spirit is perfect. If you want luxury, convenience, etc for a few hours hash out the extra $300 dollars for first class Delta. I've flown with Spirit about a dozen times and never had a bad moment. Most of the complaints are from people not paying attention to clearly printed baggage fees or whining that they weren't given a complimentary 25 cents worth of soda on a 4 hour or less flight. Seriously, pay attention, check in at a decent time like you're supposed to, show up to the airport at a decent time, again, like you're supposed to, and buy a soda or snack in the terminal if it's so important to you. You'll be just fine. Yes their baggage fees are a lot, but they're a discount carrier, this is what discount businesses do. Pay attention and you won't get burned. I managed to shove my 21 inch laptop, 4 days worth of fresh clothes, my 10 inch tablet, documents, books, a massive blanket, and more more into my assault pack and shove it under my seat for free. If you feel the need to bring your whole house with you on vacation, fly with someone else, pay a higher base ticket price for somewhat lower baggage fees. The staff are always kind and often very funny. All of my flights departed early or on time and arrived anywhere from 10 to 15, and in one case 40 minutes early. All the aircraft I flew on were very clean and looked brand new. The seats were sorta small and some don't tilt back, but you get what you pay for. I'm 5'11" and still had plenty of leg room and was comfortable. Even on my longest flight from MSP to LAX I was never so uncomfortable that I had to get up and walk around, and I have back and neck problems.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by D Doran    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit on my return flight this past weekend and to say the return trip was a disaster is an understatement. Naturally, most customers choose Spirit because it "appears" to be more economical. However, if you do a true cost comparison with other airlines, there is no real savings. They took me out of line and took my ticket and then proceeded to tell me it would be extra $$ for my carry on with wheels, it was a standard small size . I paid $100 at the gate, like the small wheels makes a big difference, less than 30 lbs, most airlines it is 50 lbs. I was shocked when I noticed the signs at the gate which charged $100 for a standard carry-on, this was simply incredulous! Like thieves, the only thing missing was the gate person using a gun to rob you! Once on board, I did not realize the seats did not recline, very uncomfortable for a flight. You have to purchase standard items, water and soda? Next thing for Spirit will probably charge you to go to the bathroom and only if the army sergeant stewardess would allow it? You have to pay extra for any common courtesies. The stewardess announced over the speaker that only 9 people had to pay extra $$, she made it sound like Spirit was doing us a favor by charging us extra $$$ and allowing us to fly with them. Do not fly Spirit. You do not save any money when you add in the normal courtesies.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by R Smith    (USA)

Did a round trip from Dallas to Portland, Oregon, the weekend of August 9. Decided to upgrade to the front seats, which for my brother and I, it was worth the extra cost of $50 per seat. The front seats do recline. The only hitch on this trip is that upon returning to DFW we could not get our checked luggage for over 1.5 hrs. It was very frustrating. But, if you need a cheap seat and you can pack light and either pay the carry on charge for you luggage or just put everything in a small backpack then Spirit may work for you. We also had to wait once we landed for a gate to open up so we sat on the ground an extra 15 minutes before our plane could get into a gate. I also brought my own snacks, so make sure you do that. I chose to purchase water after passing through security and getting inside the terminal. I took my bottled water in my small backpack along with my snacks onto the airplane and this was not a problem. Other than these problems, it went relatively well. I checked in online and printed my boarding passes online from my home. The Spirit staff and the airport and on both flights were acceptable. Also, Spirit was one of few airlines that offered DFW to PDX non-stop, which for me is important because I don't like multiple flights. Bottom Line. Spirit Airlines is a inexpensive airline with no frills. I really don't think I would book Spirit for a long flight, or for anything out of the USA.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by P Obriot    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines was horrible in the following ways: extremely poor flight trip, extremely poor timing (I waited 6 hours for my flight), staff were very unpleasant with their services and most of all very poor planning.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Del Rosario    (USA)

Standard

Flight 142 on 2 Aug and Flight 145, 9 Aug. All the years that I traveled with so many different airlines I have never had this type of service and other added costs. You want water, a soft drink or anything you have to pay. I made a reservation for a low cost trip from Dominican Republic to Fort Lauderdale, assumed cost of the plane travel was low. Now comes the additional cost of luggage, for any bag under 40 lb you pay $50, anything over that $100, carry-on $50, computer bags and other handbags $50, if its more than 18 inches high. Here is the catch, I was traveling with another person that had a computer bag the same as mine, he was able to go through at no cost.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by Wendell Gray    (USA)

Standard

I've flown Spirit a few times and although it is not my favorite, it has sufficed because the flights are not that expensive. Today however was a completely different story. As we are pulling out of the gate, (20 minutes late) the flight attendant tells us that the belt that carries the bags to the plane has broken so all of our bags couldn't get on the plane, but reassures us they will be flown on another aircraft. Once I arrive at my destination, I see that I and 85% of the people on my flight had no luggage. Once confronting Spirit about the problem, the workers moved very slow and showed no sympathy or care for the problem. They could care less whether I got my bags or not. Most people on my flight had a connecting flight some where else, but had no bags to make that happen. I got no guarantee about when I would receive my luggage so now I sit here with hardly any clothes or a toothbrush and do not know when I will have them.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by B Lynch    (USA)

Standard

Absolutely the worst run airline in the world. Cheap fares are good only as far as the airline can deliver good service. This airline has failed on every front. The fare structure is just slightly cheaper than Southwest and much less flexible. In my case to save a few dollars I booked on Spirit to Detroit from Houston. The aircraft was dirty, the employees were unhelpful and the landings weren't that good. Low fare = low service and low quality at Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by J Saul    (USA)

Standard

I made reservations from Detroit to Oakland with a stop-off in Las Vegas without checking online reviews because I had no suspicions and had never been particularly finicky about airlines, as long as the flight got me to my destination. I read the reviews and like many people I came to the airport full of trepidation because of all these negative comments. I printed out my boarding pass and purchased optional seats (the cheapest that I could see online, but maybe next time I'll just waive that and try getting free seat assignments), and arranged my one check-in bag online in advance. Still, I was worried that the flight would be delayed or, worse yet, somehow cancelled for days. Well, the upshot is that everything worked out just fine, and I actually enjoyed it. The check-in was simple, it turned out that my bag weighed 39.9 pounds, just barely saving me from paying an extra $25. I also had a medium-size "personal item" bag, which was free. The seats on my two Spirit flights that day were large enough for me, a 6-foot tall male. The number of seats per row was no more than I've seen on any other airlines going that distance, so I can't understand where all the complaining about cramped seats comes from. The seats on the first flight looked a bit worn, but nonetheless clean and comfortable, so no big deal to me. Both Spirit flights left on time, and arrived even a bit early compared to the reservation times, which was great. There was no food or drinks served, which was just fine with me because I never order anything anyhow, and didn't especially need the generic small cup of coke and bag of peanuts on such journeys. The whole time, the staff were friendly and spoke clearly. I admittedly didn't have any special needs, but to the extent that they were performing their expected duties, I saw nothing amiss. I was also on the lookout for other passengers having problems, and yet saw nothing come up from start to end. The steward on the Vegas-Oakland stretch was like a stand-up comic in his announcements to the audience, which was actually quite amusing. Very memorable. Seriously, I had a perfectly good time, and everything went smoothly. I kept wanting to pinch myself to see if I was dreaming, because I was so impressed at my positive experience compared to the online reviews.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by John Gasper    (USA)

Standard

Spirit is the biggest rip off. They sell you a cheap ticket and then you have to pay for everything else. $50 for the first bag and also for the bag that goes in the overhead compartment too. They charge for your seat. The website is terrible and you cannot find a phone number to call and speak to someone to get help. I just cancelled my $9 club fee and my Spirit Airline card. I recommend everyone to use Southwest Airlines. They allow you 2 free check bags and one carry on. And you don't have to pay for the seat you sit in. I just saved $360 in baggage fees and seat fees compared to Spirit. They also give you snacks and a free non-alcoholic beverage.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by Denise Barbadoro    (USA)

Standard

I am done with this airline. My last few flights with them were delayed hours on end (1 hour and 8 hour delay due to mechanical failure, one 6 hour delay supposedly due to weather though all other flights coming from the area my flight was on time, another 2.5 hour delay for mechanical issues). The managers are rude and the customer service is non-existent. I would not fly with Spirit again if they gave me a ticket. I told them they need to change the name of their airline to Misery because that is what you have to go through time and again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  12 August 2014 by S Tarvis    (USA)

Standard

Worst airline! 2 hour delay leaving Houston, arrived in Vegas at almost 2 am and still had to wait almost 30 minutes before bags were available. Horrible, very inconsiderate of customers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by R Palmer    (USA)

Standard

This airline offers a low teaser rate and then overcharges the naive 1st time flyer by various deceptive means. They are trying to stick me with a charge of $295 for a trip I could have made on any reputable airline for $180. I was socked $50 for carry on at airport but told by agent If I had prepaid it would have been less. The night before my return, I tried to register on their site and had to pay $36 for baggage, +fee for boarding pass, $9.00 membership fee. Flight was hr late coming and 30 mins late on return. I would never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by K Strouthopoulos    (USA)

Standard

We booked a flight from Ft. Lauderdale to La Guardia and arrived an hour early. We tried to check in using the self serve kiosk which malfunctioned 3 times. When it finally took our information, it printed a time stamped slip that said we needed to see an agent. Our slip was time stamped at 6.20 am and our flight departed at 7.04 am. When we finally found an attendant she was not helpful, rude and directed us to a long line of angry customers. After waiting in line, the agent informed us that Spirit "closes" flights 45 minutes prior to departure and that our time stamped slip was 1 minute past their "cut off". We explained that the kiosks had malfunctioned 3 times, causing our delay and that we had arrived an hour early. She had absolutely no regard for our situation, was extremely rude and unwilling to take any responsibility for their equipment causing our delays. We asked for a supervisor which took 40 minutes. The supervisor told us the best she could do was charge us well over $200 more per ticket to book us on the next flight, almost 6 hrs later! We couldn't wait the six hours, and asked for a refund, when told that other airlines had earlier flights. We went to JetBlue, where we had a completely different experience as soon as we walked in. They were extremely friendly, apologized for our experience (which Spirit never did) and booked us on an earlier flight. Due to the situation and having to book new flights at the last minute, prices were much higher than if we would have just booked with them to begin with. If you're considering this airline because of the attractive pricing, believe me it's not worth the hassle!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by J Pluth    (USA)

Standard

Worst experience I've had with an airline. I thought I was getting a good deal for price, but did not expect to be charged for carry-on's, $50 a piece! So in the end flight is not cheaper than other airlines. In addition flight was cancelled in Chicago (flying from Oakland CA to Mlps, MN). I ended up driving with 3 others on the Spirit flight from Chicago to MINN. We were told they would reimburse leg we did not take but have not heard anything from them regarding this and its been a week! Now waiting for my return flight home and both planes have been delayed (out of MN and Chicago) and likely I will be stuck in Chicago again. Would never take this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  12 August 2014 by S Taylor    (USA)

Standard

I have absolutely no intentions of flying with Spirit Airlines in the future. Yes the price was much better than other airlines however, the overall trip was not worth it. I should have changed my mind after I saw their website. It looked like something my 2nd grader did for a class project. The site did not include a phone number either. I had to get the number through CheapoAir which is the site through which I booked the trip. The seats did not recline (not even an inch). Those 'big seats' they mention are only a little larger than the average seat. The food selection was very limited and costly ($3 for water). $50 for checked or carry-on (yes, you have to pay for a carry-on). This is $50 both ways. I will admit the crew were very funny and nice. But not funny enough to get me to fly with them again. By the way, my trip was from Philadelphia to Dallas.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by S Ashary    (USA)

Standard

By far, the worst flight experience I ever had. The service was terrible. The seats are great if you are no bigger than 3 by 2 feet. It was so uncomfortable, I am 5"6 and I barely had any leg room, I could barely fit a purse between my legs. Good airlines at least give complimentary drinks, we had to pay 3 dollars for a mini water bottle! There were no magazines and my row did not get sick bags. The worst however is that Spirit only allows you to bring one carry on, and any extra will be an extra charge of 100 dollars on the spot! The ticket price was only a bit cheaper than others, but the quality was a huge difference, everything looked like it was much cheaper!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by S Bradley    (Canada)

We have flown Spirit out of Detroit to Florida (several cities) in the past and have had good experiences. I totally understand why they charge for carry-ons because too many people bring oversized bags and hog the overhead bins. Spirit doesn't charge for Personal bags (smaller than a carry-on) and you can get more than enough in a personal bag. The night before our flight we picked our seats online and check 1 large bag for 3 of us. The people who show up at the airport unprepared should only be angry at themselves. We have priced other airlines and even with seat selection and luggage fees Spirit still comes out on top. The check-in staff and boarding staff have all been friendly and helpful too.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by R Zeldis    (USA)

Standard

I have flown Spirit for many years, always taking my handbag and a small backpack on board. This was never a problem. On a recent trip I was told that my handbag was a separate item and that there would be a charge of $50 to take my backpack (or handbag!) on the plane. Enough with the nickel and diming! I will never fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by I Greenberg    (USA)

Standard

Like everyone else we read the horrible reviews and were anxious, but money is money and the safety record seemed fine. We also read the small print and did all we could to minimize additional expenses - pre-paid for baggage, printed boarding passes, didn't pay for seat selection. We flew R/T DFW to LAX. Everything about the experience was FAR above our very low expectations. Flight to LAX on-time, with no additional fees. Flight back was 19 minutes delayed, but everything else was spot-on. We also saved hundreds of dollars.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by J Geck    (USA)

Standard

I have flown on Spirit 4 times now. Mostly from San Diego to Portland because that is where my family lives. I am lucky that this route is one of the cheapest routes Spirit has. I have had no complaints or issues with Spirit. Excellent Customer service and friendly staff. On 1 trip I took my step mom and we required a wheelchair. The gate person gave us a free upgrade to a bigger seat for my mom. I think the biggest complaint is listening to complaining customers who did not read the website details. I guess that is why they build a new website in simple cartoon looking format.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Kelly Vandenbroek    (Canada)

Standard

We have travelled on Spirit over 3 dozen times, Myrtle Beach, California, NYC, Florida, and have had no issues, service was great, flight on time and flights were smooth, no issues so easy for us. We live in Ontario and the DTW is 2 hours away, much easier and cheaper than flying from Toronto.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by F Fan    (USA)

Standard

Flight #310 - LAX to Ft. Lauderdale, 8/2/14. If I could give them 0/10 I would. Simply awful airline. There is a reason they are this cheap. Terrible, incompetent personnel. They don't care about their customers. Made is sit in the airport for over 10 hours, then cancelled the follow on flight. Refused to pay for our accommodation, then nickel and dimed us for even the cab to a hotel.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by V Deveny    (USA)

Standard

I booked a trip with Spirit because of the price and then read the reviews and was very scared. I couldn't have been more happily surprised! Our trip was completely excellent. The stewardesses were very professional. There was an inflight medical issue and they were fantastic. We were on time both ways, in fact, slightly early. No glitches anywhere. The seats were not small - we had better seats than previously on American, they did recline, and the headrests folded to where you could nap. We flew for less than half of other airlines, including the cost for our bags. If you know going in that it's going to cost $25 for a carry on at the time of booking, do it then! If you wait until check-in, it's $35 and if you wait until you get to the airport, surprise! - it's now $100. Pack light, and you will know ahead of time that there are no complimentary snacks or drinks. We will fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Forrest Tym    (USA)

Preium Economy

Spirit Airlines is of course the budget carrier in the US, however I was slightly unaware when I booked through cheaptickets just how budget it was. The plane tickets were a few hundred dollars less for our international trip, however we were charged to check our bags. We had to pay forty dollars per bag to get them to our destination, and then on the way home we had to pay forty dollars a bag twice because Spirit decided the last flight of our trip home (same city we departed from) was a separate trip and we would have to pay a second time to get our bags all the way home. Couple this with the fact that they did not allow any online check in so we had to be at the airport two hours early, as well as the fact that you do not even receive a seat assignment when purchasing a ticket, you are basically a standby passenger. You have to buy seats just to sit with the person you are travelling with, then if you don't want your knees jammed into the person in front of you, you have to pay for a larger seat as well. Coming back from Peru, we were not allowed to bring our own water on the plane and Spirit is the only carrier that charges for water, so on a 6 hour flight, we were only allowed to drink water if we purchased it from Spirit. After all was said and done, the additional costs more than balanced out any savings we received at the beginning, and we had a fair longer flight time and itinerary do to it originally "saving us money". No TVs or entertainment, so you better have something on your laptop or phone, although there will be nowhere to fit it on the plane and carry on baggage costs more than checked.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Monica Ajlouny    (USA)

Standard

BWI to Cancun with a stop in Ft. Lauderdale return. They nickel and dime customers, even checking in at the airport cost money. They charge for everything, except a purse size personal item. Not even a cup of water. Seats don't recline and they say so they can add more seats to keep fares low, but they are not low even higher than others after you pay all the fees. Flights were delayed, attendants were ok but some were very rude. The checked bag can't be over 40lbs which is 10 less than other airlines. I will never travel this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by J Richey    (USA)

Standard

I flew Spirit for the first time this past weekend and to say the trip was a disaster is an understatement. Naturally, most customers choose Spirit because it "appears" to be more economical. However, if you do a true cost comparison with other airlines, there is no real savings. I paid $47 to check a bag, was told that it just barely made the weight allowance - 40lbs, most airlines it is 50 lbs. I was shocked when I noticed the signs at the gate which charged $100 for a carry-on, this was simply incredulous! Once on board, did not realize the seats do not recline, very uncomfortable for a flight across the country. You have to purchase standard items, water and soda? You have to pay to select your seat and pay to have your boarding pass printed. My luggage was lost and at this current time they still don't know where it is located - 24 hours later. I checked it at the ticket counter, after paying $42, please note that it was 5 bucks less because I added the bag online for my return. The representative that filed the loss luggage claim even commented that Spirit always has problems. Do not fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Michael Donohue    (USA)

Standard

Absolutely terrible airline, like riding a ragged city bus in the sky. Uncomfortable seats, no leg room, and rattled more than any other plane I've experienced. Extra fees everywhere. We booked a month in advance and were told they could not check us in because cut off had passed by 2 minutes after they had us standing in line for over 20 minutes. We had to wait 6 six hours for another flight. Ft. Lauderdale Airport is some what responsible as well their facility is a disaster. Spend a little extra and go with an airline that doesn't have hidden fees and pathetic customer service at every turn. They will never get another penny from our family.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by A Bate    (USA)

Standard

Unless the traveler is truly desperate for the very lowest fare and can fit into a very small seat and carry only one "personal item", the bag and seat fees add up so fast that we ended up paying about the same as for larger and more efficiently run airlines. The airline staff on the ground and in the air appeared overburdened and exhausted. I will say the flight crew did seem alert and chipper. Even if I could have avoided the additional fees, it would not have been worth the poor service, cumbersome website, awkward information interface and ineffective communications. The final indignation was that several hours after having moved our departure to a different gate on the concourse, someone had neglected to notify the push-away cart of the change. This dropped ball resulted in a completely avoidable further twenty minute delay while we sat on the aircraft waiting for it to get to the new gate to push our aircraft away from the gate. We had already determined that we would not fly this airline again, but this experience really was the last straw. It's too bad - Southwest has figured out how to keep fares a little more reasonable and they do it with flair.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by M Keithley    (USA)

Standard

We were delayed 2 hours because of "mandatory crew rest" from Portland to Las Vegas. Endless amounts of hidden fees, around $200 just on luggage. Delayed on our way back from Las Vegas to Portland. We sat on the plane for a good 45 minutes before it actually took off. Awful customer service. No complimentary drinks, not even water. Would not recommend Spirit to anyone.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Janet Geier    (USA)

Big

We booked a trip to Chicago for June 23rd. When it was time to check in and print the boarding pass, that's when we found out about all the extra charges. They not only charge you for a checked bag, $40 per bag but charged $45 for our checked bag. We paid $25 to pick out each seat. If we hadn't done this online, our boarding pass, baggage check would've cost $100 each. On the return trip, they tried to charge me $25 extra because they said my checked bag was overweight. Funny because there was nothing more in it that when I started the trip. The flight ended up costing $270 more than the cost of tickets. I had an unstable person behind me that dug his knees into my back for the entire trip. My flight cost $1065. with all the extra charges when initially I paid $796. for 2 round trip tickets. Never fly Spirit! You can't even get a glass of water without paying for it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by L Kinkade    (USA)

Standard

We booked a four-day trip to NYC. Got to the counter 45 minutes before flight. We couldn't print tickets at home and had trouble at the kiosk so our first surprise was $10 print fee per boarding pass. Second surprise was $47.50 for my husband's checked bag. Even though I had a carry-on the agent didn't mention there was a charge for this. We got a new employee who was training and it took her forever to process the boarding pass printing and checked bag. As we were walking away she said she forgot to charge us for the bag. She asked a co-worker how to call the gate because she didn't know how. I went ahead to the gate while my husband stayed to pay. About 15 minutes later I was called back to the counter. She had taken so long that the system released our tickets and they were given to standby customers. Even though it was 15 minutes before the flight we were told there was nothing they could do. There were already people in our seats. To make a long story short, we spent over an hour trying to figure out all our options including buying new tickets on other airlines. The tickets on other airlines were too costly on short notice, so we ended flying to Philadelphia on Spirit 7 hours later. Her error cost us an extra $115 for the train from Philly to NY. On our flight to Philly we learnt that I would also have to pay $50 for my carry-on. As we were boarding, we were stopped because my boarding pass didn't show we paid for my carry-on. Even after we handed the gate agent our receipt for $97.50 for two bags, she was still telling us the system didn't show we paid. Then she said I owed an additional $16. When we asked to speak to a supervisor, he let us through. The additional baggage fees are ridiculous. These prices are so far off the industry standard that they should post the prices as part of the check out so the customer knows all fees up front.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by D Rivera    (USA)

Standard

Flight out of Las Vegas was supposed to leave at 9pm Sunday night to arrive in Oakland (1 hour flight) at 11.05pm. With flight delays, false starting down the runway, and delay in being able to open the door, final landing time is still to be determined considering we are still on the plane in Oakland at 4.06 am. The attendants are completely unapologetic, and seem frustrated. What they don't realize is that we have been at the airport since 8pm and it is now 4am.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by D Henning    (USA)

Standard

Just flew from Portland to Chicago with my husband and the kids. We read all the bag pricing and ticket printing before hand. Those that complain about the counter fees and bag fees have no one to blame but themselves. We checked in online and printed our own tickets. We pre-paid $20 each for two checked bags, that was it! Not $20 there and than $20 on the return flight. Delta was was $25 each way! The counter clerk was super helpful and polite doing the fast bag drop off. The biggest problem were the other passengers feeling they were entitled and crying babies on the red eye. My kids are 9+ so I'm not used to it and I never traveled with them on a plane as babies. Overall my experience was excellent. Oh if you're a family don't pick your seats if your staying in coach, the counter lady told me they will keep you all together no matter what if there is children. I could keep going on about how easy this airline was to deal with but most people listen to those that complain and want to spend less and expect more.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by D Sheinman    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines is nothing but a rip off organization with excessive carry-on baggage fees of $45 per flight and arbitrary changes to the schedule which include 12 hours of flight time and three or more stops. I'll never use this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by James M Glowenke    (USA)

Standard

Flight 903, July 29 2014, 8.10 departure, ORD to DFW. Not to mention the flight was an hour and a half late. The check-in procedure was no procedure at all. One entire section of kiosks were out of order. When you finally found one that worked, upon checking in, paying for your bag, securing a seat for more money, a line of 150 people were waiting for a bag tag. Now the instructions at the kiosk were to go to the express bag check, which was left vacant with no attendant. There were three gate agents doing nothing but putting tags on bags which took one hour. Thank goodness the flight was late. Oh, the instructions for this procedure were hand written and taped to the back of another sign which were holding the aisle separation bands. How long should it take to put on a tag? All passengers had already secured the boarding pass, paid for the bags, and hopefully pre-weighed them at home to make sure they did not exceed 40 lbs.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by J White    (USA)

Standard

Though the base fare was the lowest and the flight time/schedule good, the "nickle and dime" approach to basics (carry on, snack, water/beverage, seat selection - for seats that don't recline at all, too) along with the impatient attitude of the gate staff and flight attendants made for an unpleasant and actually more expensive experience. In addition, the plane was not cleaned between flights (wrappers, etc. in the seat back and crumbs all over the floor and seats). I was also disappointed in the website having to login or sign up just to get the flight status, for example, and that it doesn't offer any option to "contact us."

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Jeremy Bates    (USA)

I had read the airline policies on baggage fees, etc., and paid those while booking my ticket, so no surprises there. I also upgraded to a larger front seat which was very roomy and reclined. The only surprise was how great the ticket agent was. I had booked a one way ticket to Peru, I'm visiting friends and wasn't sure when I was coming home. When I checked in, the agent informed me that Peru didn't allow one way tickets for foreign passport holders. After getting out of line, I checked this information online, and found out she was correct. I got back in line and the agent booked me a return flight without charging me the extra fee, saying she understood the mix up. She also got me travel insurance in case I want to change the date for my return flight. My flight was delayed by one hour, as where flights with several other airlines. Even with the extra fees and upgraded seat, I still saved over the next cheapest airline, so needless to say, I am a very happy customer and will be using Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by K Stenzel    (USA)

Standard

If I could give this airline zero stars I would. When initially booking our trip Spirit beat the competitor by only a few dollars, but what I didn't know was that when you arrived at the airport with a very tiny carry on bag they would charge you 50 dollars! It doesn't stop there, when I received my itinerary on my phone and tried to check in online, the website recommended early check in because in some cases having to talk with an attendant would cost 10 more dollars! Once we finally got on the plane, the cheapest thing on the drink and food menu was coffee at the outrageous price of 2 dollars. Mixed nuts and a soft drink (free on every flight I have ever taken) were 5 dollars. The seats on the plane were the smallest I have seen. Stay far away from Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by R Toy    (USA)

Standard

We probably will never fly this airline again. We were delayed due to weather. We would miss our connection and the airline could not do anything about that. They cannot book you on another airline (they just don't do that and other airlines do though). Because we opted not to fly out because we were going to our connection, they could not get us anywhere else. The plane only flew out of PHL 3 times a day, there are no other alternatives if you miss your flight or if your flight is delayed. They finally found us a plane out but it was 5 days later (what did they expect us to do? Camp out at the airport until then?). They told us our only alternative was to take that ticket or get a refund. Needless to say, we took the refund and flew out on another airline. Also, their luggage check fee is $40 each way - a lot more than any other airline. So where are the savings? Speaking in favor of the airline: their seats are comfy and you have leg room, not cramped and it is sort of nice not having the attendants run up and down the aisle announcing drinks, etc. They simply don't serve at all! They were very cordial at PHL even though they could not help us - it wasn't their fault the planes were delayed.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by T Stroup    (USA)

Standard

You think you're getting a great deal on flights, until the night before when you go to check in. There you find that you have to pay $45 to carry on a bag both to and from, per person. Not only that, but hopefully you have a printer on hand because if you have to print at the airport it's an additional $10 per ticket. That doesn't seem like much of a deal to me. In the end, we could have traveled with a more spacious airline without all the hassle and without an unexpected $180 charge.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by J Chen    (USA)

Standard

7/17, Cancun to Fort Lauderdale supposed to depart around 4pm. Delayed to 7, then delayed to 8, then 9, then around 8pm, they just canceled it. They then proceeded to put us on a flight 22 hours later, and refused to pay for our hotels. My friends and I ended up staying the night at the airport which was terrible. The next day when we went to check in the staff simply refused to serve us. When finally they decided to serve us, we were told that our connecting flight would be 10 hours after we landed in Fort Lauderdale, which was a complete surprise to us. We tried to ask if they can put us on the regular flight that day which would go to our destination after Fort Lauderdale but they said it was overbooked. Do not be fooled by their cheaper ticket price. In the end it will not actually be cheaper. Avoid them at all cost.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by B Wikoff    (USA)

Had a round-trip flight for my minor son (16) booked to Atlantic City, went to get a guest pass to take to gate, woman at ticket counter was rude but gave me the pass. Went out to gate and was told by rude agent at gate that plane would be 2hrs late because of weather even though weather map showed no storms. On return flight went to pick my son up and went to ticket counter and was told they do not issue guest passes to pick up minors, had to argue with sales agent and finally told her my son was handicapped and she gave me a pass. Went to TSA supervisor and told him, he said there is no reason for them not to issue gate pass to pick up minors and to let the Spirit agent call him to verify. Went back to spirit airline agent and she would not call and just kept arguing with me that TSA would not let them issue passes.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by M Sullivan    (USA)

Big

We have not been on vacation for 3 years and desperately needed to get away and I was a nervous wreck that our flight would be delayed or cancelled. I went on Spirit's website and read about the baggage policy, etc. Thank goodness I did because I had booked it through Priceline or else I would not have had any idea. I also picked seats for all 4 flights for myself, husband and child. I ended up paying what I would have to fly another airline so not a big deal. All of my flights were on time. No issues at all. I have recently flown Delta and United and had issues with both of them. Bottom line I was pleasantly surprised with my experience and would fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Joel Wixson    (USA)

Standard

We booked a one way flight from Lima, Peru to Denver, Colorado. The price was okay, and I do like the idea of paying for only what you use, i.e. checked bags or carry on bags. However in our situation we have two stops in the US, one in Fort Lauderdale and the other in Chicago, since we will be changing planes in Chicago Spirit is charging us again for our extra bags. So now we have to pay for our checked bags twice even though we are on the same airlines and our flight to Chicago is a connecting flight to Denver. Also be sure to read all about the bag weights and size restrictions. We just had a wonderful surprise that we are only allowed one bag at 40lbs from Peru. The "Customer Service" agent at Spirit told me it's a limitation at the Lima airport. Which is false, other Airlines allow customer two bags each. Imagine moving from Peru with only one checked bag. I really wish I would have read some of these reviews before booking Spirit, never again will I fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Sonia Fiddler-Brown    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines is not the best choice to travel when you are returning or visiting Jamaica or anywhere in particular. The forty pounds restrictions for fifty plus dollars and seating is a crime. The hassle and stress one has to go through, just to be safe with your weights, is not worth your time, neither are you saving one penny. Cheapest airline, should not be associated with Spirit Airlines. Their adds are misleading. Their Customer Service is also sloppy. I corrected my misspelled name before I took my trip only to be told my name was not associated with my account and therefore could not access my account to pay for my baggage before check in time on my return. The fear of having to pay $100.00 per baggage at the counter had me going to the airport hours in advance only to wait until check in time, then to be told, their system was down and could not process my debit card. This process took me over an hour, huffing and puffing to my gate with the extra clothes I had to put on because I was ten pounds overweight. This was my last flight and I will encourage whomever returning to Jamaica to take another airline. I could not take back much because of my experience. Shame on you Spirit Airlines!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by C Woodruff    (USA)

Standard

Let me start by saying that I read at least 25 reviews on this site before we started packing. I read about the extra baggage fees. The surprise baggage fees at the gate. The delays. The date changing unknowingly during the ticket buying process (we had to go back afterwards and fix the changed dates). The rude staff. Not being given free food or beverages on the flight. The small seats. We were traveling (2 adults, 1 child) from Houston to Minnesota for a funeral. We didn't have time to save for this unexpected event, so we flew with a notoriously cheap airline, and didn't pay for checking or carrying on luggage. All bags were well within the size limit stated online for their one personal item. The flights to Minnesota and back both went smooth. We were not hassled about our purses and computer bag. Flights were on time. Arrived home 30 minutes earlier than expected which made the kid happy. We took food and drink onto the plane, so we didn't have to buy anything from the airline. We co- ordinated our seats to make sure that we all had enough leg room. The flight crew were excellent. No inflight entertainment (other than the announcer), but we had plenty of electronics and books to keep us happy. I don't know if it was research or sheer luck, but I was relieved that our experience wasn't one of the awful ones I've read about here.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by G Andresen    (USA)

Standard

We traveled from San Francisco to Las Vegas July 13, coming back July 16. Spirit charged us $50 per carry on baggage each way. The cabin both ways, were not quite clean. I can see almost all others reviews state the same. It's hard to believe they can stay in business. We will never fly with Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Dennis McZeal    (USA)

Standard

This is the worst airline I have flown. My flight was a round trip from LAX to Fort Lauderdale Florida and back. The baggage fee are ridiculous. They are very careful to make sure that your bag is not over sized. I had no problem checking out of LAX, but when I was ready to return home with the same baggage, they said my bag was too big. I spent more than 45 minutes trying to communicate with someone who could barely speak English. I then ask to speak to a supervisor. After waiting another five minutes the supervisor finally came to the phone and would not even offer a discount. Had I known that I was going to be charged for a carry on, I would have rearranged my luggage and put my so called carry-on with my checked in luggage. The employees were great at check in but the customer service department is very poor. I did pay the extra $50 but this airline will never get another penny from this family.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by J Ennis    (USA)

Standard

You get what you pay for. Once all the incidentals are paid for, you'll pay the same as any other airline, but if you don't need all the frills, you don't pay a lot. We saved a few hundred dollars over the other airlines for a direct flight because we carefully planned every detail. The carry-on fee is absurd (we didn't have carry on), but the food/drink extras are in line with other airlines. You can always bring food in, or get drinks from a vendor in the airport for less, but for a flight less than three hours, you don't really need it. The staff were by far the friendliest airline staff I have encountered.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Raquel Garcia    (USA)

Standard

My first time with Spirit. I will start off saying, $50 for a carry on? That's ridiculous. The "free" carry on has to be like a kids size. The normal charge is $47 each if it's under 50lbs. Not sure how other airlines work but that is expensive to me. Anyway, we had been delayed for an hour due to "weather" and while in the sky, we had to take an extra 45min route. That totalled up to 1hr and 45mins extra. Lets talk about the plane now: it was so loud! The seats are uncomfortable. There is no movies or any wifi and you must pay for all snacks. This includes everything (drinks too), they do not take cash, credit/debit only. The staff were nice but the airline is not worth it. You end up spending the same as a "normal" airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by D McZeal    (USA)

This is the worst airline I have flown. My flight was a round trip from LAX to Fort Lauderdale Florida and back. The baggage fees are ridiculous. They are very careful to make sure that your bag is not over sized to the inch degree. I had no problem checking out of LAX, but when I was ready to return home with the same baggage, they said my bag was too big. I spent more than 45 minutes trying to communicate with someone who could barely speak English. I then ask to speak to a supervisor. After waiting another five minutes the supervisor finally came to the phone and would not even offer a discount. Had I known that I was going to be charge for a carry on, I would have rearranged my luggage and put my so called carry-on with my checked-in luggage. The employees were great at check in but the customer service department sucks. I did pay the extra $50.00 but this airline will never get another Penny from this family, along with others who flew with us. The saving is not worth the trouble. Buyer (Flyer) beware!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by G Boisvert    (USA)

Standard

Spirit got me from A to B on time and without incident. In that respect, they did well. I was a little miffed at the carry on policy though, my average sized laptop didn't fit in any bag that met the size for a free personal item, so I ended up borrowing one from a family member to avoid paying the carry on fee. I think the ultimate problem with Spirit is that while they are cheaper than the competition, they still aren't cheap. If everyone got tickets for $10 round-trip, as you sometimes can in Europe, nobody would complain about the fees. But most people are still paying a couple hundred bucks just for the ticket, and it feels like that ought to buy you something besides transportation. Spirit saved me money and ultimately carried out its job, and I can't say I'd never fly them again. But given the hoops you have to jump through, I'd probably want them to save me more money than they did this time before I went back.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Jerry Bru    (USA)

Standard

I knew that this was a no-frills airline, and expected to have a sub-performance level of service, but I bought tickets anyway thinking that saving $50 was worth the try. Like another customer's posting, I thought I could bring at least one bag on board, but in the end I had to pay. So much for saving money on this airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Sonia De Leon    (USA)

Standard

This was my first and my last experience with Spirit Airlines. I had scraped and saved for this trip to attend a family wedding a long time and do not have "extra" money to be spending so saving money was a big priority and only reason I flew with Spirit . I was told that Spirit charged extra for everything but that you were allowed to bring 1 carry on for free. When I finally printed my boarding pass after dealing with a very user unfriendly website the was an option for carry on or bag. I wasn't bringing a bag and I thought it referred to an extra carry on, I didn't mark anything and printed the boarding pass. After getting through security and getting to the gate I hear the representative saying several times about only 1 personal item allowed on board so I asked him If I was not allowed to bring my carry on and he said "you have to pay for it", I asked "how much"? I was told $100. They just billed my credit card and gave me another boarding pass. That was not all, not only was that fee outrageous but your beverage fees are excessive as well. Those "deals" don't benefit anyone but the airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by C Houlihan    (USA)

Standard

I had a wonderful experience on Spirit Airlines and have recommended it to several friends. I would much rather pay $3 for an unlimited cup of coffee and an Otis Spunkmeyer Blueberry Muffin handed to me with a smile, than have a bag of peanuts shoved at me as the stewards/stewardesses rush past me in an effort to get them to everyone in the other airlines overcrowded plane.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by G Williams    (USA)

Standard

15 July, flight 457. Waited over 30 min for a gate. Check-in was slow and staff left the counter routinely for other unrelated work activities. Seat broke and headrest would not adjust. Not worth the $50 I saved myself.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Anissa York    (USA)

Standard

Prices matched all other flights after you factor in the price of luggage and choosing your seats, really? I also love how they advertise "big seats for a price", there were 4 "big" seats. Flight delays both ways, with no apparent reason given. One delay was a 4 hour delay! It was already a red eye and a flight going to Ft Lauderdale at 1am was on time, while we had to continue waiting for 1 hour. Departure time is more like boarding time (actually it's earlier). Took almost 1 hour to receive our baggage. Terrible customer service. Leg room was claustrophobic. I do not think the seat space could get any smaller. Seats do not recline. No wifi, no TV's or movies on a 5-6 hour flight. We have to pay for water! Will never be a repeat customer.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Lou Cal    (USA)

Standard

My daughter had to fly back to LaGuardia Airport, she calls me to let me know the flight was delayed 40 minutes, ok delays are to be expected, she finally boards 1 hr later and sits for 2 hrs saying there was a delay by traffic control, 1/2 an hour later they head back to the gate where they have to get off on the runway. When passengers asked when is the next flight they were told to go inside, they don't know. When everyone was back at the gate they were told there will be no flights out, they would have to wait until Wednesday (this was Monday) to fly out again. I had to scrabble at 11.30 pm (flight was to arrive at 9.05 pm) to get her a flight with another airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by R Whitney    (USA)

In my opinion, it is better to fly with an airline that charges you more upfront. At least you know what you are getting up front. The flight was ok but by after paying for luggage I could have flown with another airline. I've never flown with an airline that nickle and dimes you at every turn, charging for non-alcoholic beverages, really? They do not offer any conveniences that one is accustomed to with other airlines. To add insult to injury, when my bags, that I paid $40.00/bag to check, got relocated the agents in the Ft. Lauderdale baggage claim airport office offered little to no help. I'm not suggesting that one forgoes flying with Spirit, but I never will again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Maria Levinson    (USA)

Standard

Book my ticket a month ahead, two hours before departure my flight was canceled due to "weather" in NY. Complete nonsense, other flights flew out just fine and the weather was fine as well. Could not put me on a different flight, I canceled my flight over the phone. The most ridiculous experience ever! P.S. I frequently fly MIA or FLL to LGA or JFK.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by P Buckalow    (USA)

I was on a flight from JFK. The flight at the gate before us was delayed 4 hours because of some mechanical problems with the plane so when our plane arrived that group took our plane which was fine we were assured their plane would be ready for us in no time. The plane wasn't ready for 5 hours and when we finally got on the runway we had to go back because some paperwork was filed incorrectly. That took another 3.5 hours. When we finally made it out again we were told that we had to be in the air in 30 min or the crew would time out and we would have to fly out tomorrow. We didn't make it and the crew was timed out. Spirit didn't even give us a free flight because they then said that the flight was cancelled due to weather and not because the crew timed out.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Pamela Gaylord    (USA)

Big

It is very much a no frills airline but doesn't try to advertise itself as anything different. We paid in advance for our baggage, chose our seats and paid the extra fee for the large seats. The flight was perfect, the seats were comfortable, the staff polite. If I had to come up with any negatives, I would say the fact that there was only one bathroom on the plane so there was a never ending line of people standing in the isle waiting, but that is really a non issue. I definitely would fly spirit again and would recommend it to friends/family. Just make sure you read the instructions about paying in advance and you won't be bogged down with any surprise fees.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by J Bottum    (USA)

Standard

First time flying in 13 years. Flew from ORD to LAS, and then from LAS to SAN. I was randomly assigned a seat in the aisle which worked out great for me being over 6 feet tall, as the legroom was kind of small. Shifting my position helped alleviate any weariness. For as cheap of a price as I got, I kind of figured there would be some things cut to help cost-efficiency. My departing flights left on time, and my returning flight was actually early by about 15-20 minutes. Did not purchase food or drink on board as I brought my own. No issues with boarding or luggage, as I was staying for a week in California, and was able to fit everything into my carry-on. Staff were very friendly. I can appreciate the no-frills type of service offered, since my main concern with going on vacation is the destination, not the extra stuff I don't need on the journey.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by H Valencia    (USA)

Big

Zero customer service. Plane delayed due to weather (DFW to Cancun). Weather got better-all other airlines were taking off and landing. Plane was then canceled, after we boarded, because the plane would not be able to make their flight back to Florida if they took us to Cancun. We were given a standard letter apologizing due to weather which was a lie. The pilot announced the real reason - not being able to return to Florida on time. It was not weather. They were more concerned about future flights in Florida than current flight-all boarded! Our first time and our last.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by B Hines    (USA)

Standard

After looking at reviews it appears most everyone has the same complaint - the baggage fees are as much as the plane ticket. Hard uncomfortable seats. Had to pay almost twice as much baggage fees coming from the Dominican Republic (in addition to paying a government fee to enter the country). To have to pay for water after paying for a ticket and those baggage fees shameful. I don't think we will ever fly Spirit again. We applied for a c card in order to get free miles. We are going to cancel the credit card.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Sara Lay    (USA)

Standard

My son got us tickets on Spirit because he thought it was the up and coming low fare airline. He didn't know what he was getting my into! Obviously he was uninformed, but he is now. First impression: signed in for boarding pass (didn't have to pay $10) and message came up that we had to pay $50 for each carryon, and we each had one so that was $100 that we did not expect on our carefully budgeted trip. I was fortunate to get a cup of water for my medication before we took off. One of our seatmates said she was on a flight where a lady needed medication and they wanted her to pay for water. By the way, water is not a complimentary item. For a budget airline, we are subsidizing their cheap fare policy, so I'll take the airline that at least I can feel comfortable on for an extra $100, which is usually Southwest, and they have lots of complimentary juice, water and soda. They won't lure me with anything.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by J Urgo    (USA)

Big

Atlanta to Atlantic City. 7/12/14. They should rename this airline "Nickel Dime Airline" because that is about all the service is worth and that's all they do, from the moment you book a flight - attempt to extort more and more money out of you. I'm surprised they don't sell passengers packets of toilet paper as you enter their very dirty, smelly on-board rest room. Spirit's excuse is that it's a "budget" airline. But by the time they are finished with all the add-on costs, a ticket that started out at a good (but really not rock-bottom) price usually ends up costing more than one on a non-budget airline - where you'll have bigger seats, cleaner restrooms, and a less confounding experience all around.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Elizabeth Bensend    (USA)

Standard

Never again! Our flight from LAX to Dallas Fort Worth was 2 hours late. When we boarded the plane the attendant that you usually see greeting you was busy on their phone. The attendant before take off checked the overhead compartment while sighing as if she didn't want to be there. The attendants were overall unpleasant. When we left Dallas Fort Worth to LAX we received the same greeting. The flight was an early morning 6.20 departure and I realize everyone is very tired in the morning and that perhaps the passengers have the right to sleep during the fight but I certainly don't think that the flight attendant should be sleeping in their seat at the back of the plane. My luggage is in Las Vegas and I am 4 hours North of LAX. The seats on the plane so small need not recline back. So uncomfortable! When I booked this flight I was excited that I had found airfare for family of 4 at such a low price, now I know why! I think what bothers me the most is that the attendants weren't very attentive and we're too busy with their social media to be bothered by the passengers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by C Duval    (France)

Standard

Flight 719 on Wednesday May 28th. I tried to fly on Spirit between Denver and Las Vegas, but the flight was canceled because of the absence of the crew. We spent one hour inside the aircraft itself waiting for them and finally, we had to spend the night at Denver airport after 5 hours waiting at the front desk to get a solution for the next day (with another company hopefully). The quality of the service was very poor. In addition, I was flying with a 7-month baby.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by K Riedl    (USA)

Standard

The total cost after paying all the fees was comparable to other airlines, so no real big saving with Spirit. Never flew Spirit and thought I'd give it a try. My flight to Oregon didn't happen because of mechanical failure (so cannot comment on in-flight experience), instead they would fly me from Pennsylvania, to Texas tonight (Friday), then to New Jersey overnight, and then depart for Vegas early Saturday morning. I would have 1.5 days in Vegas before getting on a flight to Oregon early Sunday evening. All of this "at no additional charge" said the clerk. They did not offer a hotel room in Vegas at no additional charge. My experiment blew up before getting off the ground, their business model has a lot of room for improvement, and I will not be booking with Spirit ever again. My weekend with my children was ruined.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards