Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Read Spirit Airlines Passenger Reviews and Spirit Airlines customer trip Reports

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by McDonnell Teresa    (USA)

Big

I do not travel often, but the experience I had with Spirit leaves little to be desired. The plane that was to be mine was delayed several hours, coming from Denver. When we finally boarded, we sat on the tarmac for 1 hour with no AC. The pilot came on and said that we had to return to the gate because we would not make curfew flying into LaGuardia. This was a Wednesday and we were told that the next available flight would be on Saturday. I needed to be in NYC by Thursday! Unacceptable. No hotel vouchers to be had. The money I spent for the shuttle to the airport was non-refundable. There were only 2 agents at the counter to deal with all these people who had nowhere to go. Needless to say, they were not very accommodating, they were not able to deal well with the situation. What a disappointing experience flying with Spirit!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Laci Greer    (USA)

Standard

Not only did I have to pay $100 for one suitcase and laptop bag, but they didn't even honor the fact that I am military and that any other airlines wouldn't charge military for their bags. Once paying the ridiculous fees, I get on the plane and find out that everything costs including the water. When I was preparing to head to the airport for departure from California, I decided to check online for boarding times and three different times my flight was delayed. I didn't arrive back to Texas until 1.30 in the morning. So if you want to purchase a cheap ticket for a trip with rude customer service, baggage fees, and non-complimentary anything, then pick Spirit. But for all you're going to pay them, you would be better off just buying a ticket at another well known airlines. Never again. I guess you live and you learn.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by S Edlin    (USA)

Standard

Just like the rest of the bad reviews, all the extra charges for everything that is standard and custom on most other airlines. This is a new high for how bad customer service was for our entire family. We were to get on a flight from Minneapolis to Las Vegas on June 18th, after 4 hours of waiting they cancel the entire flight stranding our family in the airport. From here it gets worse, the only thing they will allow is to get a voucher for a future ticket or a partial refund of our money. So we get into line and wait and wait, the ticketing personnel just sit at their desk and do nothing. We ask for a supervisor, they respond they are busy, this is about 2am in the morning. We all are still waiting to get some type of resolve. We ended up by only getting a partial refund, had to pay for the hotel stay that we couldn't use had to cancel are rental vehicle and then had to rebook another flight with another carrier. Then on top of it the original destination for the Spirit flight was Las Vegas and it had to be change to Salt Lake City instead and now we had to rent a vehicle from there.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by S Jones    (USA)

Standard

Absolutely horrible customer service at the Atlanta Spirit check-in. 1 person in line in front of me took 45 minutes to speak with anyone. They allowed people not in line to walk right up to the counter. I finally got to speak with the rudest person in ATL, which trust me there are plenty. All I needed was a security pass to pick my juvenile son at the gate. This useless customer service agent said I couldn't pick my child up because I wasn't listed to pick him up I showed him my receipt where I paid for the ticket, my identification (with the same name), however this was not enough. After calling me "careless", he decided to allow me to pick him up. The worst ever!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by L Laurentis    (USA)

Standard

We experienced delays both ways without any explanation. After a last minute gate change from Chicago to NY, there was virtually no procedure to the boarding process. Instead of boarding by zones, the agent just called everyone up to get on the plane which we had to walk down a steep stairway and go outside to board. Suffice it to say, it was very stressful and disorderly. Do not join the $9 Fare Club thinking it is $9 to join to receive discount rates on checked-in luggage. It costs $59.95 which they state only at the very bottom of the page in smaller type which I missed because I was doing this last minute during online check-in when I saw how much $$ they charge for bags. Then they don't even send you a receipt for joining so you can catch it in time to cancel. The plane on the returning trip was filthy and delayed by more than 2 hours. This airline nickel and dimes you for everything. By the time I paid for all the fees, I ended up paying an additional $120. This is the first and last time on Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Speed Cathy    (USA)

Never again will we fly this airline. The plane was filthy with food all over the floor, my son sat in gum on the seat, his seatbelt did not work, they charged for a cup of water for my child (not a bottle, a plastic cup of tap water), trash all over the floor of plane, extremely hot with no a/c, and they charged us extra for asking to be seated together since we had small children (apparently it is ok to let the strangers on plane have to deal w/ your kids). Charged $400 round trip for 4 ordinary size bags. Never fly with Spirit Airlines!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Gonzalo Maureira    (USA)

Standard

I am a frequently traveler and this is the worst airline that I have experienced. I purchased a round trip ticket from Houston to Las Vegas. The trip from Houston Las Vegas was cancelled 3 hours after the departure time, the airline staff did not provide any meaningful reason about such cancellation (no manager showed up at all either). The solution given was to take another flight three days later, no hotel stay, not even a glass of water for the long wait. Finally I had no choice but to keep the return flight with Spirit and to buy a one way ticket on short notice with another airline, the price for that ticket was $1,300 (out of my pocket). As you can see I'm very frustrated of having purchased a ticket on such unreliable and unprofessional airline. If you are thinking of using Spirit for your further travel plans, you should think twice!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by J Leather    (USA)

My wife and I have flown Spirit to several destinations over many years. Most recently, we traveled to San Francisco via Las Vegas. I wish we could get direct flights to the Bay Area, but an overnight stay in Las Vegas is not too hard to take. Our return trip was not so un-troubled. It's true that the current policy of "your fare entitles you to a seat on the plane - all else is an extra charge" seems unfair to some travelers, but Spirit is up front about it, and nobody should feel they were trapped into unexpected charges for e.g. luggage. We travel with one checked bag (just under the 40 lb. limit) and each have a free backpack as carry-on. Those back packs are big enough to hold water bottles, snacks, a change of clothes in case of "delayed luggage", medication, toiletries, books, etc. We only reserve seats together on longer flights, and take our chances on the short hops. That saves us $40 on a round-trip. We have never been treated by any Spirit employee in any way but a courteous and helpful manner. I wish I could say the same about major airline personnel. I don't mind paying $8 for a gin and tonic while flying, (it's cheaper if my wife joins me). I've paid more than that at airport bars. Our last return trip from Oakland to Philadelphia was our worst experience. We had anticipated about a 7 hour layover in Las Vegas, and planned to hop a shuttle to one of the hotels, have dinner and maybe spend some time in the casino before getting a shuttle back to the airport. Weather conditions all over the country played havoc with those plans, and the schedules of all airlines as well. There were a few passengers embarrassingly stupid enough to take out their frustration caused by the weather on the crew. We arrived at Las Vegas with just about enough time to check in for the LAS to PHL flight. Since I could not book the trip as a fight from OAK to PHL, changing planes in LAS, I had to book it as two separate flights. I doubt if Spirit, or any airline would take responsibility for us if we missed our flight from LAS to PHL since they did not schedule it as a connection they planned for our journey. If we missed the plane we had designated as a "connection", the fault would be ours. That's something to keep in mind if you are planning a trip on Spirit, or any airline that uses a lot of "hub and spokes" in designing their routes. Overall, we have been pleased with the service and prices that Spirit offers the public. The "hardships" we have had to endure have been minor, and well worth the savings. I hope to start planning our next trip very soon.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Joan Philips    (USA)

I read the reviews here after I had bought a non-refundable ticket with Spirit, so I was very nervous. But it turned out very well. Here are my experiences: 1. Being on time. One flight was 1.5 hours late due to weather, but a Delta flight the same day was 7 hours late! If I absolutely have to be on time, I will take another airline. But otherwise I am okay with taking my chances. 2. Cramped seats. I am very nervous about flying. But the tightly packed seats made me feel more secure and it felt safer. 3. Lack of amenities such as drinks and snacks, extra pay for luggage. One reason I don't fly much is because of how it contributes so much to global warming. Spirit tries to reduce weight on their flights, and that helps reduce the negative environmental impact of flying. So extra pay for extra weight is for me a plus! 4. Pleasantness of employees I had a good experience. One flight attendant was cracking jokes like "Put on your oxygen mask and insert credit card for oxygen." This made the flight a lot more fun.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Ravini Johnson    (USA)

June 24 2014, flight 630, Chicago O'Hare (ORD) - New York, NY - LaGuardia (LGA). Don't know where to start, overall the worst experience ever. They canceled the flight and didn't pay for anything. Staff are rude, no supervisor available and zero customer service. I was warned about flying Sprit unfortunately only after I had purchased the tickets. Believe me pay the few extra dollars and fly any other airline because at the end the day you will pay a lot more with Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by M Angelini    (USA)

Standard

Without a doubt the worst airline we have used. They will rip you off seven ways to Sunday and twice on Monday. We booked our flight via Priceline and were never told that in order not to be raked over the coals in baggage fees we needed to pay for our bags in advance. When we learned this at the airport while checking in it cost $90 for two bags - she never even told us there was an additional fee for the checked bag we had, despite telling her that we had one. We were told that had we booked with Spirit directly we would not have had to pay as much. What they neglected to tell us was that when we paid for the return bags online in advance, that we needed to do it more than 24 hours before the return flight or suffer near equally outlandish fees. Furthermore, when trying to pay for them in advance via the iPad apparently their poor software cannot handle such a simple transaction yet when you call to take care of it over the phone you can't or you'll have to pay the same amount as you would if you checked them at the airport!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by C Farrel    (USA)

Big

They get non suspecting first time travelers and then they stick it to you. A Red eye from Vegas with seats that do not even recline. Never again. Take a greyhound bus, you will arrive at your destination faster. Horrible customer service, deceptive advertising, bad plane amenities. By the time they nickel and dime you, you can fly a better carrier. Final note: be careful with online booking, you think you are booking what you saw, but they may in fact put you on another flight. Be careful and watch when you confirm your trip booking.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by R Gardner    (USA)

Standard

Flight was cancelled on 6/25 from Las Vegas due to bad weather in Dallas. Spirit said the soonest they could fly us out would be Monday 6/30 (5 days later) or give us a refund. No accommodation at all. Cost $2176 to buy 4 one way tickets on Southwest with a change in Chicago.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by H Zhang    (USA)

Standard

Fool me once, shame on me. Never again, Spirit Airlines. Flew round trip between Los Angles (LAX) and Chicago (O'Hare). As I checked in, I discovered that carry-on luggage is $35 before online check-in, $45 during online check-in, $50 at the counter, and $100 at the gate. $100! There is nothing "economical" about this. When I woke up the morning of my flight that was supposed to leave at 8.30am, I saw that I had received an email from Kayak (where I booked the flight) saying that it would be 2 hours delayed. No notification from Spirit. I called Spirit, after waiting 30 minutes, I finally got through, only to be told very curtly and rudely that he "can see what I can see". When I asked if there is a different number or someone else in customer service who can help, he said no and told me to go to the airport. Got to the airport and walked up to the counter to drop off my pre-paid, "fast drop off bag". The person at the counter pointed to the line that was 100 people deep all the way down the hallway and out the door to the curb of the airport where 50+ people were waiting. "That's the line to drop my bag off?" "Yes." "But I pre-paid for fast bag drop?" "You still need to go through the line." "But why is it called fast bag drop?" "I don't know." 45 minutes later, after I finally get up to the counter. The same person who gave me the "I don't know." asked how my day was, and I responded with "Terrible." "Why?" he asked. "Well, my flight's been delayed for 2 hours, I didn't receive any notification from you guys, I've had to wait on the phone and in line for very routine requests, and I'm probably going to miss my pre-paid appointment in Chicago because you can't give me an estimate of when we will arrive." He gave me a smirk and said "Only 2 hours delayed? That's not bad." Never again, Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by K Soltesz    (USA)

This is by far the worst company I have encountered. Not only do they nickel and dime you for every single thing down to charging you $20 per seat per flight (not round trip) but the staff are incapable of providing any type of customer service. When it was my turn to check my bag in, the staff member asks "where is your boarding pass", I showed her my phone which had the pass on it. She said she "doesn't know how to use that" so I have to either pay $15 for her to print one or I have to exit the line to print one at the kiosk and wait in the line all over again. Clearly I just paid it so I didn't have to interact with her any longer. Then upon boarding the actual plane all flight attendants were sucking lollipops and were just straight rude. I learned my lesson. Never again will I fly Spirit Airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Sandra Christensen    (USA)

Standard

My flight from MSP to ORD was cancelled the morning of 6/19/14 due to weather. The line at Spirit Airlines was very long and didn't move the first hour I stood in it. I got on the phone and all I was offered was a refund and a flight 3 days later. I needed to be in Chicago that night. I asked to talk to that persons manager. Guess what? A seat magically opened up on a flight later that evening. Having already returned my rental car, I hung out at the airport for my late afternoon flight. Our plane arrived, and we're all ready to board when we get the news that the flight is delayed. Long story short, they strung us along until a little past midnight. The customers were so irritated and tired by this time that the desk employee called a gate change. We all packed up and walked to the other end to a new gate. We waited there for a good half hour. That's when we were informed the flight had been canceled a half hour ago and we were all to go to the Spirit desk for other arrangements. Another long line. No rental cars to be had. No hotel rooms available. I finally found a hotel quite a distance away. By the time I got to my room it was 2am. I found a flight on SunCountry Airlines departing the next morning at 8am and finally made my destination to Chicago.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by T Mahaney    (USA)

Standard

Unfortunately this may have been my worst experience ever with an airline. What they seem to fail to tell you is that the check-in policy is different when traveling from Costa Rica (unless this is the case everywhere). Although check-in policy says 2 hours prior to scheduled or displayed departure, you better be there 2 hours prior to the scheduled time, even if the flight is delayed 8 hours! Not only did we receive notice from Kayak about the delay but Spirit's own website displayed the 8 hour delay. When we arrived to check-in 3 hours before our flight we were told that we had missed the flight and it was closed. It didn't matter that the plane wasn't even in Costa Rican airspace. They refused to take responsibility, or put us up for the night and acted as if we should be happy that they rescheduled us for the next day. I feel bad for the people who sat there for 10 hours waiting for the plane because then the flight cancelled because the crew became illegal (too many hours). I have no idea how many hours everyone else waited. In addition, how could they not know that by the time the plane arrived that the crew would not be able to turn the plane? This was the first and last time we will even fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by D Muhammad    (USA)

Standard

June 13th, I was to fly out to Denver but it was delayed due to weather. Once the flight was cleared to leave we boarded the plane and taxied out. After sitting on the runway for approx 15 minutes the pilot stated he needed to go back to the gate because the plane did not have enough fuel. By the time the plane was fuelled up the flight crew timed out and the flight was then canceled. I was then booked onto a flight to Las Vegas but my connection to Colorado wasn't until the next day. I was offered a hotel room at a reduced rate (it should have been free) and no meal voucher.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by P Cooper    (USA)

Standard

On June 16, 2014, I decided to book a last minute trip to Ft. Lauderdale from Atlanta. I checked in 24 hours in advance at home and printed off my boarding pass. This was my first time flying with Spirit, when I was asked did I want to check a bag during the online check-in process, I declined, thinking I would bring a carry-on bag which is usually free. Once at the gate, I overheard some ladies on my flight talking about how you must pay to carry-on a bag! I approached the counter at the gate to speak with the Spirit representative to ask if what I heard was correct and he confirmed it. At this point I tried to go online and pay, no luck. Going back to the ticket counter was out of the question. I ended up calling the Customer Service 1-800 number and was able to pay $45 over the phone for my bag. The $45 fee was a one-way fee and I was not allowed to carry-on my bag! I had to place my bag underneath the airplane and pick-up at the baggage claim once we landed in Ft. Lauderdale. On my return flight back to Atlanta which was at 3.07 pm, I was running late to the airport. I got to the ticket counter at 2.20 pm to check-in and print off my boarding pass. The representative told me they had sold my seat because I didn't check- in early enough! At this point I should have 47 minutes to get through this tiny airport and make my flight. I asked her to check the surrounding airports for flights going to Atlanta, she said Spirit doesn't fly out of Miami and there were no flights out of West Palm Beach airport. All the representative told me is, "we can put you on a 9.40 am flight in the morning". I had to purchase a $347 last minute ticket on Delta to get home.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Kaylee Schabatka    (USA)

Standard

Paid 160$ to check two normal size and weight suitcases. All went ok flying into Chicago, not many complaints except for all the fees. When we got to Chicago Airport we had everything ready and were 1.5 hours early for our flight. When we went to check our luggage we were notified that our connecting flight was cancelled. We received no email, no phone call, nothing. We were told we could either get a complete refund, or fly to Dallas and wait a full 24 hours for our next flight. I asked the attendant if we would be receiving a hotel voucher anything. He said no they don't provide them. So we got to Dallas airport 2 hours late and were told that shuttles don't run after midnight. I asked the Spirit attendant if they would let us back into the terminal if we checked in so we would at least have a safe place to rest for the night. The Spirit worker said no and that normally they give out cots but not after midnight. I slept in a freezing airport last night on the ground, going on hour 18 in the airport now. Just six more to go. Spirit may appear cheap but after they charge you $200 in fees and then cancel your flight its not worth it. I will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by F Harry    (USA)

Big

Flight was 2 hours late leaving and then spent an hour on the runway with no air conditioning in San Juan. PR in June 2014. The heat got so bad someone had an asthma attack and the plane was forced to return to the gate. The medical case person was removed and then maybe 6 or 8 more people just got off. The delay made our group of 9 miss our connection. They offered us 3 hotel rooms and $21 in vouchers for food for a 24 hour layover. The vouchers were written wrong and only 1 restaurant would take them and 3 people had to use the same voucher. When the tickets were issued for the flight they left off all the paid carry-on bags. Not a single agent could even figure out how to add them back. This caused more trouble.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Hana Catak    (USA)

Standard

Our flight was scheduled to depart at 6.10am, which required us to get up at 3am. Upon arrival at the airport at 5am, we were informed, by a very non sympathetic Spirit employee that our flight was delayed 6 hours due to weather conditions in Dallas. Our friends that joined us a few minutes later were told that the weather issue was in Chicago. We did inquire as to why no one contacted us, but were not given an answer. As per Spirit's Customer Service Terms and Conditions, they say that they make a reasonable effort to inform passengers of changes. No such attempt was made until we reached the Spirit counter. We decided to wait at the airport and around 8.30 headed to our gate. As we sat down, we overheard the Spirit employee tell a few other passengers to start looking for alternate transportation. Our options were extremely limited. We were not able to get a flight until the following day at an additional expense of $400. This kind of service is simply unacceptable in this day and age where the world revolves around customer service. And to offer no resolution for the customers was just as unacceptable. The purpose of our trip was a vacation, so we were able to move plans around. At a much larger cost, but we made it work. Long story short, we will never be choosing Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by R Walstead    (USA)

Big

Less than 30 minutes before boarding, the flight from Denver was cancelled due to crew unavailability. 150 passengers were directed to the main ticket counter for options. We were told that we would be rebooked on the next available flight. The next available flight was the following day and there were about 6 seats available at the beginning of the process. I was about 100 passengers back in the line being serviced by a single gentleman. After over an hour in line, I managed to use my phone to book a Frontier flight later in the afternoon.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by L Garvey    (USA)

We lucked out, but I won't fly Spirit again! My daughter and I took a last-minute trip to Chicago from Minneapolis, and decided to fly Spirit since we didn't need to take any bags-which would have almost made the price equal to a more reputable competitor! Our outgoing trip was on schedule and fine. Our return trip turned out OK, but the mess at the airport made me realize that we were very lucky to get home only 30 minutes late! Every flight in the Spirit gate area was delayed or cancelled (one that was supposed to leave at 10.30am was finally cancelled at 7.30pm), and there was one poor gate agent who was trying her best to help and give information (information that she obviously wasn't getting from the company). People were screaming, swearing, etc at her and finally airport security had to come stand by her! There was no explanation for why flights were delayed or cancelled, or why my flight, which was scheduled to leave after most of the delayed flights was boarded and we left 30 minutes late! I won't take my chances again, but happy that I won the Spirit lottery this time!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by J Coppotelli    (USA)

Standard

Flight was cancelled out of Ft Lauderdale due to bad weather at our destination. Instead of rescheduling they offered a flight 2 days later with 4 layovers. Was originally a direct flight. New flight offered was 11 hours. Traveling with 2 small children this is not an option. Had to get a refund and spend an extra 500 dollars to fly a different airline. Will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by J Blythe    (USA)

Standard

This is the worst airline. The are always late and there are hidden fees everywhere - from choosing a seat to carry-on luggage. Their employees are far from friendly and borderline rude. I booked a flight to Las Vegas in June of 2013 and the one thing good about the flight was that it was smooth, everything else was substandard.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by L Garlinghouse    (USA)

Standard

Round-trip from LAS to HOU on May 13. Cancelled because of weather. Next flight 2 days later. No apology, no comps, just rude service. Coming back on May 27, 2014, again bad weather. Spirit employees at ticket desk, said TSA closed and needed to take bags through security. When explained we paid to checked these bags because of the contents, we were told to throw belongings away or scheduled FedEx pickup or rebook for flight (next day). Long story short, we had to pay FedEx $75 to pick up belongings that should of been in our check bags. And almost missed our flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by A Bird    (USA)

Standard

Big mistake using this airline. There were no non-stop flights from Sacramento to Dallas so I took a chance on Spirit flying out of Oakland. Flight was delayed 2 hours 20 minutes, which put me in Dallas after 2 am. This is the first and last time I fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Roman Gross    (USA)

Standard

They nickel and dime you for everything possible. Our flight was delayed an hour and a half which caused us to miss our connecting flight. We had to stay in Florida for 12.5 hours until the next available flight, which caused 5 of us to miss work the next day. They wouldn't try to get us on another flight with a different airline because they are too cheap and don't care about their customers. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Kent Israel    (USA)

Standard

First trip with Spirit was 6/12/14 to 6/16/14. Worst trip ever. Deceptive additional charges for seat and carry on, totaling $100.00. Every boarding was late. Last boarding from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando waited over six hours. I will not travel with Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Patty Hoppe    (USA)

Standard

Arrived at the gate at Denver International Airport this morning at 8.15 for my flight to Orlando at 9.00. I waited 40 minutes then was told the flight would be delayed 1 hour. 15 minutes later, the flight was cancelled. Spirit Airlines said they can get me to Orlando 2 days from now, or a refund. I can't tell you how angry I am. I need to be in Florida for a conference. I will never fly Spirit Airlines again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by B Stone    (USA)

Standard

We were delayed due to weather. Sat on the plane for an hour. After an hour they announce that they will fly around the storm. 15 minutes later they come on saying we don't have enough fuel. So we wait another hour for fuel. 99% of the plane was making a connecting flight. They then announced that every flight that was connecting would not be delayed to wait for us to arrive. They said we can get you to Ft Lauderdale but there are no flights out of there for 3 days. Most of us got off the plane and ran around the airport trying to find a different airline. They told us we had to get to the ticket counter and cancel our flight in able to be refunded. We also waited another hour for our luggage to get off the plane that many of us exited. Seriously, what airline doesn't keep adequate fuel to fly around a storm? I will walk, swim, or ride a bike before I ever use Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by S Edlin    (USA)

When pricing your ticket between different carriers be sure to know the hidden costs after you purchase your ticket. Pretty much bait and switch with Spirit! Need to check-in prior to flight, the earliest is 24hrs. prior and can do so up 1 hr. prior. But, here is where you can throughout economy flying with Spirit, everything has a charge for it for us it was an extra $72 per person for seat assignment (X) 4, each of our bags that normally consider carry-on and less than 25 lbs. was $80 (X) 4. The customer service representatives barely speak English and are extremely rude. If you don't pre print your boarding pass at your office or home it is another $10. The sad thing is we continue to allow and support bad behavior from companies such as this. In the future my dollars will be spent with other carriers, and I advise people to do the same.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by M Evans    (USA)

Standard

My flight was June 17th from Myrtle Beach to DFW. When we went to get on the plane they did end up putting my nephew in an Exit row seat which we had to change because he was not over 15 yrs. old. Once on the plane everything was fine, the only complaint about the actual plane was that it seemed a little dirty and the seats were pretty worn. The flight staff were very nice, friendly and funny. Overall very pleasant flying experience. If you read on their website it tells you everything you are charged for so I don't know why people are so surprised about information that is in broad daylight. As long as you do your homework you should be just fine. And come on people complaining about a few dollars for a snack or drink really? They do let you bring on snacks and drinks if you want to. I would for sure book through their website instead of a 3rd party because you will get all the correct information that way. I would probably take Spirit again if need be. One more thing, there was plenty of leg room, I think even more than American Airlines has.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by T Coley    (USA)

Standard

Any money you save is negated by $35 carry-on bag fee and $10 fee to reserve your seat of choice! Not even a soft drink for free. Flight attendants zip down the aisle with the beverage cart because nobody is foolish enough to pay for a drink! Seat backs do not recline (except in emer. exit rows) and seats themselves are very uncomfortable after 2-hour flight. Avoid Spirit and pay the few extra dollars for a "regular" carrier. Spirit just takes "no-frills" way too far!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Debbie Daniels    (USA)

Standard

My daughter plays volleyball, and they had to go to Dallas for qualifiers. Being a single mother, I had to find the best flight I could. We book with Spirit because of the price. We didn't make a beef over the fee for luggage because it was still the cheapest airfare. However, we were scheduled for a 7.30 flight. The flight was delayed over 5 hours. As a result, she nearly missed her first game, and more tired than if we drove. They did not even seem remorseful whatsoever, What a miserable airline. And to think, I joined their club to get better deals in the future. Boy, did I ever get duped.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by J Gustafson    (USA)

Standard

Went to Las Vegas McCarran Airport 2 hours early. 2 huge lines and a Spirit rep is yelling Minneapolis flight is cancelled because of bad weather in Chicago. I get on my smartphone and check flighttracker which reported 98% of the flights were leaving on time with only light rain in Chicago. Then they tell us they won't have a flight for us for 2 more days! Never again. It is total waste of your time, effort and money.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Caleb Bean    (USA)

Standard

June 19th 2014, flight 832, listed 1.11pm departure, Houston to Orlando. I am sitting on the Spirit aircraft as I write this review. We have been sitting on the plane at the gate for 2 hours. First there was a problem with the computer, in which they had to re-boot the entire system. After that hour, the pilot let us know that the toilets were broken. So we continued to sit on the plane for an additional hour so far. On top of all of this I have a wife in labor with our first child. Of course you will have mechanical failure, but the way this was handled is completely unacceptable.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 June 2014 by Hailey B Morris    (USA)

Standard

I just took a trip to DAL from ATL at the beginning of June 2014. I did all of my homework and researched Spirit before I made my final decision. I was not taking a long trip therefore I only needed a carry-on that I paid 70$ total for (35$ there and 35$ back). Spirit allows one free small bag and I was able to take my tote. I also printed my boarding pass online, at home, so I was able to go straight to security. The flight process was very easy and laid out and I did not experience any severe trouble with the flight staff. The only bad comment that I have to make about my trip was that it was delayed an hour on my flight back home because the plane had traveled internationally and had to be thoroughly checked in customs. I consider myself lucky to only have that one hiccup. The pilot also sped up the flight and we only ended up being 30 minutes behind schedule. I have no bad comments about food and staff service considering I slept the majority of the trip and I ate before boarding the plane on the trip there and the trip back. There is no inflight entertainment but I did not expect any for the price that I paid, plus, I brought my tablet and a book to read during the flight. Overall, I would highly recommend Spirit Airlines for quick travel. You get what you pay for and for the cost, I was beyond satisfied with what I got!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Dennis Wallace    (USA)

Big

Flew out to Las Vegas on flt 245 leaving Chicago 05/30 and returned on flt 356 out of Las Vegas on 06/03. Well I signed on here to complain about my flight to Vegas, but it looks like I'm preaching to the choir. It's nice to know we get just what we pay for in this case one notch up from nothing. Rude flight attendant's, little or no service.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by J Cho    (USA)

Standard

I flew from LAX to Chicago during the memorial day weekend. Don't get tricked by their low-priced flight, because it is not low at all. Let me tell you why. I booked my flight through priceline which lists all different types of airlines. Spirit came up on the very top because of its "low" price. We picked Spirit because of its price and the flight schedule. Little did we know, right after we booked, found out that they charge for every carry on or check-in luggage. I've never seen any airlines that charge for carry on, so we wanted to cancel it, but it was too late (no full refunds, only partial flight credit). We decided to just have one huge bag to check-in (it's cheaper than a carry on if you pay before you get there). Service was slow and horrible. No snacks/beverage provided. Seats were tight/uncomfortable. Flight was shaky both times. I saw a lot of people who didn't know about the luggage fee so they had to pay upfront which was $100 for a carry on. I'm sure most of people, including myself, paid more than any other airlines because of all these additional fees.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by K Thompson    (USA)

Standard

My assistant booked me on Spirit from LaGuardia to O'Hare because their flight times fit my schedule. I didn't really know anything about this airline so I got blindsided by fees and poorly communicated flight changes. Round trip, both flights were delayed without explanation. On my return trip, the gate was changed but the information was not updated on the boards - which caused panic and chaos. To board, we walked down this employee-only stairway, outside and threading through construction cones and baggage carts to walk up a plank to the airplane. There aren't words to describe how degrading the whole experience was. Note: I'd like to be able to rate seat comfort, inflight food and entertainment but there was none.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by C Lees    (USA)

Standard

Very disappointing experience not to be repeated. First, there is a hard edge to the flight attendants. On the flight to Detroit one was so shrill into the microphone that several of us plugged our ears with our fingers. The flight attendants must be told to hawk the promotional credit card because on the flight to and from Detroit they spent quite a bit of time just before the final descent trying to hawk the cards. The departure to Detroit was delayed by 100 minutes. I paid an extra ten dollars on both flights for extra leg room. For the first time ever, my knees touched the seat pocket of the chair in front of me and I was unable to cross my legs without extreme contortions. Charge of 3.00$ for everything (including water). That money grabbing attitude of grab every buck you can is very off-putting. Also, the one personal item allowed (and charging for a carry on) is also money grabbing. The round trip cost of 435.00$ from Orlando to Detroit was no bargain. Inflight entertainment is non-existent as is staff service. Seat comfort is a joke. The seats recline about two inches.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by S Brown    (USA)

Standard

LAX to Dallas/Ft. Worth. Flight 866 on June 10 and return on 869 from Dallas on June 13th, 2014. This is the worst airline ever booked! Deceptive prices on all travel sites with exorbitant excessive charges. Rude service, old plane. 4 hour flight delay without notification. Do not book with them thinking it's a good deal. You are very lucky if anything goes as you expect.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Angela Sikkema    (USA)

Standard

My son was booked to go from Detroit to Los Angeles. With the only explanation of we don't have enough stewardess for the flight the flight was cancelled. No help getting a 17 year old on another flight - no help with a hotel. And forget about the 3 hour drive to and from the airport with gas at $4 a gallon. They don't care about any inconvenience at all. They are not cheap and then nickel and dime you to death. Save your money - go with Southwest any day!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by K Donley    (USA)

Big

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Costa Rica where we flew on Spirit for the first time. I should have had the first clue when they charged for carry-on luggage! When we started on our trip we couldn't believe that they charged for everything including water! On a 4 hour flight! Then to continue the abuse they didn't have pillows or blankets even for purchase so I was freezing for 4 hours and bought 2 blankets during our layover to continue on to Costa Rica. Then on our return trip from Costa Rica they charged us another $25 because we were supposedly over-weight on our luggage. They weighed a total of 91 pounds for 2 suitcases which was the same as when we left LAX since we really didn't buy much. Usually international flights allow 50 pounds! They wouldn't allow water or drinks on the plane even when purchased in the airport after we had been through security so they checked our carry on luggage again right before we boarded at the gate. This is obviously an effort to force you to buy on the plane. Needless to say this was our first and will be our last flight on Spirit Airlines.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by S Bergere    (USA)

Standard

This was my first trip with Spirit. They are awful. I had a round trip with four segments. Their turnover is abysmal, with filthy seats and missing seatback information all along the way. From LAX to Houston, seats did not recline - not an option. On NK561 from Las Vegas to LAX, there was no water in the bathrooms. On segment from DTW to Las Vegas same day, only one bathroom was operational! They cancelled a last flight out of DTW on me, then went ahead and still charged me yet again for seat selection. They have a policy that also charges you a fee for water. Highly recommend opting for any other airline option you can find.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by Bill Ramos    (USA)

Standard

3 of us were booked on a flight to Chicago, flight was delayed 3 times. Their boarding process seems like a mob rush as they said we had to board before 12pm after being delayed so many times. We finally got to our destination over 3 hours late. On the way back to NY same fiasco which actually got worse: flight was also delayed several times, and just before finally waiting to be boarded flight was cancelled. They said the next available flight would be in 2 days, they provided us no help in getting booked on another flight. They actually left us in the dark. Will never ever never fly Spirit again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by Donna Hurley    (USA)

Standard

I booked what I was lead to believe was an AA flight through Expedia and got stuck in some bate and switch scam that trapped me in flights with Spirit. A discount flight ended up being the most expensive flight I have paid for going into LAX. Over crowded seating, no drink service, and terrible customer support.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by Kim Carlucci    (Canada)

Standard

Flew Spirit for the first time for a trip to Las Vegas. Horrible! Very cramped. I complained to my friend who was sitting beside me and was then harassed by the flight attendant. Will never fly with them ever again. They don't inform you that there is no entertainment and no food or beverage service. You can purchase a beverage or snack, but only by credit card. Customers should be made aware of this.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by Hina Lakhani    (USA)

Last month traveled with my husband and daughter. We had a connecting flight from Dallas to Chicago which was delayed twice, finally they boarded us and brought us back to the gate due the weather and was told flight would be delayed an hour, but later it was canceled and next flight offered was not until two days later. No accommodation was offered and crew at the desk had no idea what they were doing. I paid $1100 dollars to take A flight back to Chicago with A different airline. Worst airline and customer service I have ever had.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by T Thompson    (USA)

Standard

This is the first and last time I will fly Spirit. I would catch a greyhound bus to my destination before I bother to book a flight with them again. This Airline is terrible and they have extremely poor customer service. When you buy your tickets you think that you are getting a deal because they are cheap! But if you plan to board the plan with a carry-on bag and checked luggage your in for a rude awakening! If you know what's best for you, stay far away from this airline! That was just the beginning of my terrible experience!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by Jaime Terryah    (USA)

Standard

I fly at least 6 times a year. I have a certain bag that I use, and have used for over 10 years now as a carry on. It fits in every overhead bin I've ever encountered, I've never had to check it, as I don't check bags ever. So I was flying to a few states to do various things last week, and had booked a few one way tickets, one being a Spirit flight. I checked in online and went to my gate to board and they made me pay $100 to carry on my carry on! I was astounded. I have never had to do that in my entire life. No other airline has ever done this, and to pay that much is atrocious. Their hidden fees are robbery. I will never fly this airline again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by James Sligar    (USA)

Big

The whole experience was bad. The purchase of the ticket, then the purchase of a seat, then to have to pay to carry my briefcase onboard, then the charges for a bag to be carried on were higher than checking a bag and finally the lines at check - in were very long and slow. It felt like a 3rd world country, government owned airline. The website was not user friendly. The seats were very uncomfortable. The one positive comment that I can make was that the flight staff was very nice and had good customer service. The whole experience was rinky dink. I will go out of my way to avoid Spirit. I fly about 60 times a year and I will take my business elsewhere.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by Charles Grounds    (USA)

Big

First and last time I will fly with this airline. The crew were friendly and helpful but that is where the good things stop. Their "low price" only gets you a ticket unless you want to fly on the wing or cargo hold. You have to pay extra for any seat, baggage fees are far more than any other airline and you can't even fly with a carry on much larger than a purse or you pay $30.00. Once we landed we waited for about an hour just to get our bags. The management of Spirit airlines seems to be working very hard at making this airline the worst of the worst.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by Dale Flowers    (USA)

Standard

I've flown Spirit 5 times in the last three months. Every single flight has been significantly late. My flight tonight was scheduled to depart at 9pm, now saying delayed until 10.30. It's not weather, I checked. And all the other flights are running on time. Delay, delay, delay. The equipment is fine and the staff are friendly so as long as you don't actually need to get to your destination, its not bad.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by C Smith    (USA)

Standard

I was flying back from Vegas into Oakland and my plane was 5 hours late due to not having a flight crew. They had to fly in a crew from Detroit. We got no warning even though they had to know that the crew wouldn't be there on time. I came to find out that out of my group of friends flying with Spirit that weekend, I was the lucky one. I had 8 different people flying out on 4 different flights. One flight was 9 hours late, another was 10 hours late and the last one was canceled altogether. I had to pay $90 to carry on a small bag when it should have been $70 but since there was a problem with their site I couldn't log in so I had to call and by the time I got done waiting on hold and they fixed the site it was then within 24 hours of my flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by W Charles    (USA)

I didn't wait in any lines for more than 10 seconds, and the people who worked there were fairly nice, no complaints about that. Basically everything was perfect until you're about to board. Their 'zone' boarding process should be reconsidered. The first two zones are small amounts of people, then become mobs trying to form a line when they call for the third and fourth zones. You really get what you pay for with Spirit when it comes to the seat, being that I'm 6'2, the seat didn't offer me anywhere near the necessary amount of space to travel with comfort. No TVs and no complementary food and drinks. At the end of the day, they got me there and back in one piece, quickly and for a low cost.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Tiffany Negron    (USA)

Standard

I traveled from New York to Detroit, then to Vegas, round trip. My first and last time I will fly with Spirit. All 4 flights were beyond dirty. Food crumbs all over the floor and seats, the tray tables were so dirty they were stuck closed, and on one flight I could see someone's face still imprinted on the seat in front of me. The seats have got to be the most uncomfortable seats I have sat in. It felt like I was sitting on a rock for 4 hours. To top it all off, the seats do not recline and leg room is non-existent. Do not be deceived by the low price, it does not included baggage fees and drinks and snacks on the plane. Unless you are traveling with nothing but a purse, you are forced to pay for your bags. $35 for carry-on and $30 to check them, and that's only one way. If you are dying of thirst or hunger, prepare to spend $3 for a can of soda or $5 for a small snack. Never Again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2014 by S Lipniskis    (USA)

Standard

Just flew Spirit Airlines for the first time last week and was very pleased. They are great with little kids (I have 2) and the attendants and all staff were very kind and helpful. I did my homework online ahead of time so I knew what to order as far as my luggage when I booked our tickets. There's no fine print, they don't hide anything. I compared to other airlines and it was far cheaper for us to fly Spirit. If the snack and beverage and free suitcase mean that much to you then do the math. you still pay for all that with the other airlines. Our flight was on time and our return flight made amazing time from Orlando to Pitts. We will definitely use Spirit in the future!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 June 2014 by L Hannegan    (USA)

Standard

Our flight from MSP was scheduled to leave at 11:.30am and it didn't leave until 5.45pm. We were told it was due to weather, mechanical problems and not having a crew available to fly the plane. The first delay stated we would leave at 1.30, then 3.30 and at noon we were told a plane was on it's way. The plane arrived 2 hours later (from Chicago which is a 45 min flight) and sat there until 5.45 because the pilots weren't available. Spirit offered a $7 food voucher and a $50 credit for a future flight - which is laughable and something we'll never use. Lesson learned - you get what you pay for. Spend the extra money to buy a ticket on a more reliable airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  4 June 2014 by Judy Bess    (USA)

Standard

I recently took a trip with Spirit and it was about the worst experience I have had traveling. I do quite a bit of travel and on this particular trip the flight was delayed 4.5 hours for mechanical problems. I was never informed of the delay until I got to the airport. Fortunately had a family member taking me and I was able to spend some extra time with her. We were given $7.00 food vouchers in an airport where the restaurants close at 7.00, what does one eat for $7.00. I was told to go to Hudson news and get candy or drinks.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2014 by Pamela Romine    (USA)

Big

I flew from DFW to Myrtle Beach and back. Only airline that offered a non-stop flight. Both flights were on time. No over booking. Very polite and accommodating employees. No complaints. It was a very pleasant experience, and will fly Spirit again. Just go to their website and pay for your carry on or checked bag ahead of time. You can carry on water or food. They also provide them for a small fee. You are allowed to carry on a small bag , purse, or back pack for free 16x14x12. I didn't purchase any food or beverages and there was no Entertainment.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2014 by M Kally    (USA)

Standard

Flight delayed 7 hours with no notification or explanation. Waited 40 minutes on hold to speak with a customer service rep who had no information for me and offered no solutions. Horrible experience, will never fly with them again! Horrible customer service not to mention ridiculous fees. No mobile boarding passes and they charge $10 to print your boarding pass at the airport. No complimentary beverages, no inflight entertainment, seats are small and crammed and all rows recline like the emergency exit isle seats- an inch or less.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2014 by B Percy    (USA)

Standard

My family visited from overseas, 6 of us were booked to fly from Houston-Vegas on 12 May. For the 10.20pm flight, no announcements made until 1am, then at 2am they cancelled the flight. No announcements whatsoever. Spirit did not offer another flight until 2 June. We had already paid for our hotel, show tickets purchased - does Spirit care for their Customers? Not come across such poor service in the airline industry (and I fly all over the world).

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2014 by J Hawkins    (USA)

Standard

Had the opportunity to fly Spirit from Baltimore to Las Vegas r/t. Can sum up the experience in one word - awful. Never again will I (or the 5 others from Baltimore on the same flight) fly Spirit. While in Vegas I met someone from another city who had flown Spirit also. Their opinion - never again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2014 by R Toller    (USA)

Standard

We flew Spirit Airlines last week from Detroit to Costa Rica and our experience was beyond our expectations. We were greeted by the customer service representatives during our check in process and encountered no problems. We did our homework ahead of time reviewing bag weight limitations, seat assignments and we did come prepared with our boarding passes printed. All of these instructions are available to you when you purchase your ticket online. There are no hidden surprises as long as you read and go through all the instructions when booking your flight. Once we boarded the plane we were once again greeted by the attendants and they were very well dressed and represented by Spirit in a professional manner. We received professional service on the plane by the staff. On our return flight, we received the same treatment as our first flights. Our savings were $ 350.00 per person by using Spirit Airlines. Our group had a total of 27 people flying together and that added up very quickly to a huge savings. I'm not sure where all the negatives come from since our group experience was very well received by Spirit Airlines. My suggestion to those reading reviews and thinking about booking with Spirit is when you are booking your ticket is to take the extra time and read thoroughly through all the instructions and options and you will have no problems once you get to the airport because you will be prepared as we were.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  30 May 2014 by T Strickland    (USA)

Standard

My flight was delayed an hour. I did not receive any notification. We boarded the plane another 30 minutes behind schedule. It gets even better! We waited another 2 hours on the plane while they fixed an issue with the plane. There were no apologies for the inconvenience. The flight attendants were very rude and avoided eye contact with the passengers. I've never been treated so poorly by an airline.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 May 2014 by Lisa Butcher    (USA)

My father in law flew in to Denver from Las Vegas over the Memorial day weekend on Spirit. Paid $45 each way for his bag, so $90 total in addition to the flight! His flight back on Sunday was to come from Dallas to Denver and then on to Vegas, and was listed on their website as on time at all points that we checked it. However, they finally informed them, at the scheduled departure time, that it was cancelled due to weather in Dallas. They offered no meal voucher, no hotel voucher, nothing. And we asked, but they evidently have no partner airline willing to work with them to re book passengers on. They rescheduled him to Monday at 6.34pm. Again, all online and live operators told us the flight was on time. And yet again, they told them at their scheduled departure time that it was once again delayed due to mechanical issues. But they “thought” they would have it fixed and have them in the air by 10pm. They did give them a $7 food voucher, but what exactly can you buy for $7 in an airport? Finally at 9pm (too late to book with any other airline) they tell them that this flight too is cancelled. Again, no partner airlines to book them on and again, all website info still said it was on time.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  29 May 2014 by Gandy Thomas    (USA)

Standard

Great trip, friendly service. Flew return DFW-Denver. On time both ways. Flew the r/t for about $100. This was my second trip with Spirit and would definitely use them again, I have no complaints at all.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 May 2014 by M Arterburn    (USA)

Standard

Being kind, they are the worst airline I have ever "flown." They said that out flight would be delayed because they could not find a plane, and then they strung us along, found a plane, boarded us, deplaned us, and finally canceled the flight. The representatives at the service desk were so rude and did not seem like they wanted to help me at all. They treated me like a kid! I am still trying to decide if I want to rebook my flight with them or just eat the cost and fly with a real airline. The tickets may be cheap, buy they nickel and dime the hell out of you. Also, when we boarded, there was not enough leg room for me, a man at 6ft. It was so cramped. I think they try to cram as many people on the plane to make up for the cheap airfare. Don't waste your money, go and spend it with a real airline like United, American, or yes, even Delta.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 May 2014 by D Ray    (USA)

The worst airline in existence. We traveled from New York to Dallas this past weekend. We hovered over Dallas for 30 minutes because of weather and were then told we would have to re-route to Houston. After flying to Houston our plane and 2 others sat on the tarmac for 2 hours waiting to fly back to Dallas. Spirit apparently only has 3 pilots because they couldn't find one to fly us back so they ended up putting all passengers on the 3 planes on buses to go back to DFW. We ended up renting a car and driving back as we had paid for an airline ticket not a bus ticket. I will never use Spirit again. They are unorganized and not very helpful. Huge waste of money after the all of charges for seats and luggage.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2014 by Erika McLaughlin    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines lures you in under the guise that you are receiving a cheap ticket, but they make you buy your bags and your seat. When all was said and done I could have booked a JetBlue flight for the same amount of money and a much nicer airline. My flight flew into Detroit on the way to Las Vegas, next set of crew was 1 hour late. Flight was delayed in Detroit one hour with no explanation of delay.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2014 by Gloria Rice    (USA)

Standard

Spirit has been traveled by my family and I on three separate occasions because the fare was lower. Unfortunately we did not communicate with each other about the hidden fees and poor customer service at the airports. The seats are too small, they try to force you to pay for seating, if there is standard seating available and chosen it's liable to change once on flight. When attempting to print boarding passes for return flight it will not allow until seat is purchased and charge additional to check-in at the airport. Forced to pay $45 for carry on piece of luggage because it has wheels? No assistance to passengers with long delay lines in security when flight time is close. Flight times change continuously when booking early and checking flight information online is impossible. No problem with flight attendants - only customer service prior to boarding.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2014 by Ann Stauffer    (USA)

Standard

When I booked my ticket to Las Vegas, Spirit was the cheapest, little did I know that 24hrs before my flight I had to pay another $100 for my seat choice (window nothing special) and pay to check my bag-it was more if I carried it on. I called customer service, it took me 8 tries to get to talk to a live person. I finally get through and the lady told me that I have to pay to pick my window seat $18 each way. I get to O'Hare and get in line to check my bag, the young lady that helped me never talked to me, she only motioned for me to give her my ID and gate pass - she was busy on her cell phone. She tagged my bag and pointed for me to take it to another guy. No complimentary beverage on the flight. Coming home: Spirit only allows 40lb for a checked bag or they will charge another $25. Never again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2014 by S Gardner    (USA)

Standard

Our flight from Chicago to Houston was cancelled on Sunday by "air traffic" according to the ticket counter. So therefore Spirit was not responsible for finding us another flight, helping with hotels or anything. Basically they said you are on your own. We could take a refund or wait until Tuesday when they could rebook us. So we took our refund, booked with another airline and made it out of Chicago. We will never again fly Spirit. You get what you pay for.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 May 2014 by P Spivey    (USA)

Standard

This is an economy airline and if you are cheap like I am and willing to do some research, Spirit Airlines offers a great product at a very affordable price. Three of us traveled from Chicago to Atlantic City and back with three checked bags for a little over $500. Yes, they will charge you for everything extra but plan on packing lightly, bringing your own snack and printing your own boarding pass, and you will avoid the extra fees. They are serious about the size of carry ons and personal items so simply be careful when you pack. We found the staff professional and competent, the flights on time and appreciate the opportunity to fly frugally.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 May 2014 by R Garner    (USA)

Standard

My family and I (2 adults/2 kids) just returned from a Spirit Airlines roundtrip from Houston to Orlando. Airplane was new, flight attendants were professional and courteous, and though the seats were a bit closer than some other carriers, they were still reasonably comfortable - and I'm 6'2". I think much of the concern voiced with Spirit is for those who may have not fully read all of the charges/fees that are broken out. This is definitely a different business model; however, even with paying for some checked bags and seat assignments, we still saved more than $400.00 as a family. Yes, they charged for a coke, however it was still cheaper than at the airport stands/kiosks. As a family of 4 we only had to check/pay for one bag and we each had a backpack that was free. It may take a bit of strategy in your packing; however, we stayed in Orlando for 8 days and did not have any problems with what we brought. I can certainly understand how shocking it might be to see all of these fees - but you must consider the final cost in comparison. I had never flown Spirit before, but was positively impressed. I think the real key to flying Spirit is to engage in a "Spirit 101" course, by really examining their website for all costs and services, so that there are no surprises. I also noted that things like car seats, umbrellas, food, reading materials, and so forth can be taken on the plane with no additional cost and these items do not count against your personal bag/backpack.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 May 2014 by T Fredericks    (USA)

Standard

This past week, I flew with Spirit Airlines for the first and last time. Every single person that my husband and I dealt with besides the flight attendants, were rude to us. “Well if you don't remove something for your bag to get the weight down we will have to charge you extra for that.” No eye contact, no smile, no “Hello”or Good Morning.” When we got to the ticket counter with our boarding passes already printed, the woman behind the counter didn't even look up at us to acknowledge that we were standing in front of her for three minutes. It took every bit of my patience to not ask if she was blind. This is a very unwelcome airline. There is absolutely nothing complimentary on this airline. My husband and I paid for everything, from our one checked bag ($40 to start, if overweight, you'll be paying an extra $25 on top of that), to water and soft drinks on the plane ($3 and up). Anything that you bring onto the plane, besides one carry-on is $50 before you hit the terminal, and $100 at the terminal. To boot, when we purchased our tickets, we were given the option to pick our seats on the aircraft for a fee which was $36 a seat. Never in my life did I ever pay for seat assignments and I certainly didn't do it this time. My husband had absolutely no room to move his legs, I couldn't even put my head on his shoulder without getting jabbed by the armrest that couldn't be pushed in an upright position enough to be out of my way. The button to recline my seat didn't work. The tray table for my husband's seat wouldn't adjust to sit properly and was wobbling, so we had to share my tray table between us. There is no inflight entertainment. No TV's.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 May 2014 by P Harris    (USA)

Standard

Just got off my first Spirit flight (Boston-Ft. Lauderdale-Tampa). Schedule matters most to me, and tonight Spirit was my only option. I actually like Spirit's pay-for-carry-on program. By paying for a large carry-on, you get to board the plane first. That relieves huge stress and clearly reduces the number of people dragging large suitcases onto the plane. The boarding time was pretty fast. The flight attendants were very courteous. The space between the seats is very tight. I'm 6/0” and my knees were jammed in. That said, both of my flights were full. So obviously Spirit is meeting a market demand. I think all these negative reviews are from non-frequent fliers. But Spirit makes it possible for people to fly who may otherwise not be able to.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 May 2014 by T Polak    (USA)

Standard

The plane was fully booked, including 5 extra rows that didn't exist. I paid extra for an exit row, because i am tall. My ticket said exit row, but when I got on the plane, all of the rows were shifted 2 rows, so I ended up in a regular row and a family with a 6 month old ended up in the exit. As i am sitting here, they are forcing anyone who can't find their ticket stub off the plane to reprint a new one. I will never fly this airline again!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 May 2014 by M Gustafson    (USA)

Standard

Flight delayed 2 hours - given 2500 bonus miles, have tried online and can't get a telephone number to speak to anyone about not being able to register this certificate. Online registration tells me incorrect cert #, but number typed is correct, and since no one available by phone, have to assume Spirit does not actually want to have anyone use these bonus miles. Corporate number listed online not in use, can't get a live person on phone, only canned instructions and then when followed they don't work. A joke of an airline and I shall never use again. Worst website ever!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  22 May 2014 by A Dillaway    (USA)

Standard

Spirit Airlines is the worst airline we have ever traveled on. This was our first, and will definitely be our last time we will ever travel with them. You have to pay for everything; seat assignment, Carry-on bag, checked bags; any drinks or snacks on board. No complementary water, no free coffee, no free soft drinks. Everything has a price. I'm surprised they don't charge to use the toilet? If you don't prepay for your carry-on bag on-line, you get charged $100.00 for it at the terminal. We saw several people discover that when they were in line to board the plane –needless to say they were very upset! There is basically no leg room at all. I am about 5’-8” (short by today’s standards) and I had only about 2 inches of room between my knees and the seat back in front of me. On 3 out of the 4 of the planes we traveled on the seat-backs were locked in one fixed position with no adjustments available -– great for ones back on flights of over 3 and 4 hours, particularly for seniors? Or outgoing flight from Oakland, CA went smoothly until we got to Chicago, IL for our connecting flight to Ft. Lauderdale. We had flight delay of over 3 hours and finally arrived at our destination in Ft. Lauderdale, FL at 1:00 am, too late for the free shuttle to our hotel. It cost us $50.00 to get another shuttle. If you don't down-load your boarding pass on-line, you have to pay extra for it at the terminal. After downloading your boarding passes on-line, the heading of your boarding pass states "Congratulation! You are eligible for Fast Bag Drop" Then it goes on to state that customers wanting to check bags must do so 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure time. n our return flight from Ft. Lauderdale, FL our shuttle dropped us off at the terminal with 1 hr. 15 min. to spare before our scheduled flight. The problem with that is when you arrive at the counter for "Fast Bag Drop" there was only one agent handling that, and the line was like a Disney World line waiting for a popular ride. There were about 6 other agents waiting patiently for customers who had to pay for their checked bags; carry-on bag and boarding passes. My wife and I who are over 70 year old seniors attempted to use one of these "observing agents" to give them our bags and was directed to get back in the long curving line. I questioned where the “Fast Bag Drop” is and was totally ignored. Spirit should rename it to “Snail Pace Bag Drop” which would be far more appropriate! On 2 of our 4 flights we had to listen to an annoying lengthy sales pitch by the flight attendants who were attempting to get customers to sign up for Spirit’s frequent flyer Master Card. I should point out that two positive things about Spirit Airlines are that the flight attendants were mostly friendly and polite, and our checked bags arrived safely with us at our destinations. Spirit Airlines advertises itself as the first no frills airline and I must congratulate them on that -– they most certainly are!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by Priscilla Lauriano    (Canada)

Big Seat

I just flew from Florida to Boston a few days ago. We were in the standard seats. It was the worst experience I have ever had in an aircraft. If there were negative reviews I would have given it a negative 5. First off, there is a hidden baggage fee that you must pay over $50 for a carry on suitcase. Once, Spirit tried charging a seat fee, a hidden fee that charges you for being seated (not the actual ticket, ticket was already bought). I was so enraged and complained because I would rather go standing if they tried to charge me to sit. The planes are uncomfortable, crowded, and they charge you for one drink (non alcoholic). The plane seemed to be in horrible condition, very cheap. The group I was in agreed to never fly on such a terrible airline again. To anyone who reads this, please never fly Spirit.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by Peter Siven    (USA)

Big Seat

I have been flying Spirit Air since I compare their price to that of Southwest and difference was outrageous. I want to save and anything that helps me save is the way to go. Been flying Spirit regularly between Chicago and Dallas for under a $150 round trip. I have recommended Spirits to all my friend but let them know the baggage policy. I don't carry a lot of stuff other than my little bag and my computer bag.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by D Butler    (Canada)

Big Seat

Detroit flight cancelled after on board for 2 hrs. Lost a night in Vegas, we had to reserve rooms we did not use at our cost. Return flight, 2 hrs late taking off plus 2 hrs for luggage to be unloaded in Detroit. You would think that extra fees for luggage equals better service. Paid extra for EXIT seats, 32 inch legroom impossible for tall person.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by John Ogden    (USA)

Standard

Dallas to Boston and return. All went as expected. Seat spacing was not a problem for my 5-7 build. Would definitely do again for the price savings.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by M Cwiklinski    (USA)

Standard

We flew in on Spirit Airlines (LAX to ORD), and were so offended by how poorly the airline perceived customers (the staff were fine), that we decided to stay longer, so we wouldn't have to use the airline on the way back. It can be more expensive to fly Spirit, and you get less than the other airlines. The flight attendants didn't even have a cart. They had to bring all the food, and hot coffee two by two by hand.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2014 by K O'Hara    (USA)

Standard

NYC to Fort Lauderdale last weekend. The flight cost $340. I ended up paying an extra $150 at the airports to bring my carry on bag. I booked this through a third party and was not warned about this extra charge. The overall price was outrageous. Flight attendants were not the friendliest. When I placed a drink order, instead of getting my order, the flight attendants hung out at the front of the plane laughing and talking together.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  20 May 2014 by Felecia Kelley    (USA)

Standard

Booked 2 tickets to fly using Spirit. One for my daughter, the other for myself. Due to an emergency, plans changed and needed to change my flight. Spirit Airlines unwilling to accommodate - charge me $125 PLUS $33.98 for a total of $158.98 just to cancel and the trip was a month away. Rude Customer Service reps with the most horrendous language barrier!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 May 2014 by D Whipple    (USA)

Standard

Recent flight from Minneapolis to Fort Lauderdale Round trip - I appreciate the fact that you know up front that there will be additional fees, you definitely pay for everything extra but with that said for the actual money spent it was still cheaper for this particular route than any other carrier. As a previous review had stated the scale on the bag drop is 3 pounds off than the sale at the desk so be aware of that. You also must check to make sure your personal item fits into their dimensions otherwise they will charge you $100 as a carry on (saw this happen to someone). My biggest negative issue was that magazine holders behind the seats were either broken or just so old that they were hanging loose so that when you sat down your knees were pressed against the seat in front of you. Definitely not comfortable for any length of time flying. Compared to other airlines the seating was very close and cramped. Would not recommend Spirit regular seating if you like to have space for your knees. Everything else was as expected for no frills, no beverage, no snack, no movie, just a "bus" ride and not on a coach bus.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  19 May 2014 by Diego Morcillo    (USA)

Standard

My wife and I were going to Detroit Michigan to see her family, when we got a call the her cousin mother had a stroke. We were forced to cancel our trip so we call Spirit to explain the situation. They gave us two options: 1- re-schedule the trip for a fee of $125 per ticket ($250 total) or option 2 - cancel for the same fee plus $16 more per ticket for cancellation fees. Now the second option still does not give your money back. They give you the money in credit and with the condition that you will have to use that credit to buy a ticket within 60 days, and the trip can be schedule within a year. Therefore not only they eat up 60% of your money but you cannot get your money back you can only get a credit that in order to use that credit you also have conditions. This means that after taking the penalty for not being able to use the tickets you still penalized by not being able to get what is left of your money plus the penalization of having to reschedule within 60 days plus the penalization of having to flight with them, an unreasonable and abusive company. After this event I am sure I will lose 100% of my money, since I won't be able to buy an extra ticket with that credit plus the reason that I don't know when will I have time and chances to go anywhere. I will never buy with Spirit Airlines again, I feel sorry for the employees that have to work for this type of company and their fliers.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  18 May 2014 by Jill Zaslavsky    (USA)

Standard

Detroit to Fort Lauderdale, Flight delayed 30 minutes, got to check in, already printed out boarding pass and pre-paid for checked bag, said I could get in the fast check in lane - the line was very long! The scale prior to check in weighed three pounds lighter than check in scale. Many seats on my flight were double booked and had to wait for everything to get fixed before take off.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by Bill Eaton    (USA)

Standard

Maybe the worst experience I have had with an airline. The apathy is almost unbelievable. My flight is delayed for almost 3 hours due to "weather". It is perfectly sunny right now from Houston to Denver.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by S Martin    (USA)

Standard

We flew Spirit Airlines from Portland, Oregon to Las Vegas, Nevada and our flight left PDX 1 hour and a half late due to a starter problem with the engine. We were told that the plane had to be started at the gate due to the starter issue. To me, the plane should have not been flying with an issue like that. Also, we had to pay for our luggage as well as pay extra if we wanted to pick out own seats.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by L Miller    (USA)

Standard

I had seen a lot of negative reviews online but chose to fly with Spirit anyway because of their very cheap fares. After experiencing flying with them I thought it was important to throw in my two cents. It was an extremely positive experience. They do not hide their baggage model and conforms practically to their "pay for what you use" ethic. I missed my flight but check in was very helpful in finding me another flight without any hassle. The flight itself was on time, the staff was friendly and productive. I look forward to flying with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by Carla Bush    (USA)

Standard

Multiple delayed departures. Cancelled flight. Horrible customer service. No airline partners. The low fare was not worth the headaches. My trip in the end cost me more than if i would of bought a first class ticket with a reputable airline. What was suppose to be a 2.5hr flight, turned into 2 day nightmare. Had to rent a car to get to my next destination. Spirit refunded some customers but I needed to jump thru more hoops to maybe get a refund for cancelled flight. My relatives who likwise flew spirit this weekend different departure airport where likwise delayed coming and going. Avoid this airline, cheap fare not worth it.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 May 2014 by A Wallace    (USA)

Standard

Round-trip Latrobe to Myrtle Beach to visit family. Flight was delayed 3 hours in LTB to fix something on the plane - understandable. But what is really horrible about this airline is that the service is atrocious. I have not encountered a single nice or understanding employee of Spirit. They are unaccommodating and just plain rude. They advertise their flights as cheap but they simply are not by the time you pay all the fees at the end. Also, the $9 Fair Club is an absolute joke - none of the fairs are below $40, and you simply cannot get a flight for under $100 after bags and seats.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 May 2014 by Michael Wigington    (USA)

Standard

My college kids went to Cancun. Their return flight was Cancun to Ft. Lauderdale to Chicago. Bad weather in Texas caused a long delay before a cancelation of their flight: there's only one flight in and out per day and that was their jet. Spirit representatives told stranded passengers the next flight available was 4 days later! They would only refund tickets, not re-route on another airline. Their excuse was a weather related problem which relieved them of any obligation of food vouchers, hotels, or compensation. It cost the students an extra $400 for buying tickets on United to get back home the next day after an all nighter in the airport.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  14 May 2014 by D Tyler    (USA)

Standard

I flew from Chicago to Vegas and it was fine for the most part. Employees were friendly and the plane arrived on time. There was basically no leg room (I'm 6'0, 185 lbs) but it's not like my knees were on the seat in front of me. I joined the $9 club and had everybody I booked tickets for split that cost; our trip there and back was a couple hundred less than any other airline I looked at. The complaints about the lack of free food/drinks and high baggage fees are ridiculous to me. There is a reason the base price is so low so understand what you're buying first because I had zero surprises when I showed up at the airport. I wouldn't want to be on a Spirit plane for any kind of international flight (unless I made the seat upgrade) but for a 2-3 hour trip, the savings are worth it. This is especially true if you're traveling light. My only legitimate complaint was they lost my bag from Vegas back to Chicago but they shipped it to my house within a few days. I was the only one on the flight who lost his bags and I know losing bags is not an isolated occurrence for just Spirit. I'd give my experience an 8/10 and I would fly Spirit again for a domestic flight.

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards