Spirit Airlines Customer Reviews and Spirit Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

a World 2-Star Airline

a World 2-Star Airline

Read Spirit Airlines Passenger Reviews and Spirit Airlines customer trip Reports

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2014 by Sarah Poisson-Osiro    (USA)

Standard

From ORD on March 21 to Las Vegas, returning 3/25/14. Some of the time on our flights the staff were great but on the return flight the staff patronized everyone on the plane. I have not been a child for over 20 years, I have never been told that if you need to use lavatory on an airplane that one needs to wait in their seat until no one is in the lavatory because we are not allowed to congregate. If you want to get screwed by hidden fees, delayed flights, and not even a glass of complementary water go to Spirit. I have traveled a lot via planes and now I realize that saving $30.00 in the beginning is a gimmick. I have never checked in a bag that only allowed 40lbs and charged $50.00 to check it in I think $1.25 a pound is a little extreme. I am glad that I had a heads up about the fees but many foreigners on this airline were being charged $100.00 because they did not understand these crazy fees. The only explanation they were given was its on our website.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2014 by S Klass    (USA)

Standard

ACY-FLL return. Having read the reviews here, I was prepared for the worst. However, I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. Perhaps flying out of Atlantic City's small airport helped. Both flights were on time, ground crew and cabin crew got to work and were pleasant enough. I must admit I scoured their website for all their travel conditions and was well aware of all details and ensured all check in baggage was within the weight limit and dimensions before I got to the airport. I did see quite a number of people complaining and carrying on about being charged for their bags at both FLL and ACY. Its not that hard to avert these situations at the airport. The trick is to just be extra vigilant with things like baggage weight and all the conditions of your ticket with Spirit before you get to the airport. It is a budget carrier so it seems ridiculous to pay bottom dollar and then expect Emirates style service. On board, as everyone knows, their legroom is notoriously minimal and probably not going to kill you on a short 2-3 hour flight. A longer trans-continental, though might just begin to. There's only buy on board snacks, so bring your own. That's pretty much par for the course even if you fly with one of the bigger legacy carriers. BYO Entertainment too. For this short trip, Spirit made sense and delivered. United and AA were both about $200 more for a comparable route and while they might offer frequent flyer mileage, possibly entertainment, there was little else that would have been dramatically different, sad to say.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by S Mitchell    (USA)

Standard

My husband and I flew from Phoenix, AZ to Dallas, TX on Spirit Airlines. We purchased 2 one way tickets separately leaving from Phoenix then returning from Dallas back to Phoenix. It was cheaper this way. The tickets in total were $336 which was great, but paid another $66 going for a checked bag and seat assignments. Returning was even worse! This time 1 carry on $45, and 1 checked bag $35. Then when we got to the airport it was another $25 for the checked bag so in total $110 for bags. So in total for this trip it cost $512. I advise anyone to steer clear of this airline due to all of the extra charges. Low airfares yes, however they make up for it in so many other ways. The leg room was horrible, and the seats don't recline at all. It was an extremely, unpleasant flight.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by K Mackie    (Canada)

Standard

Mpls to Orlando during spring break. Plane was clean and comfortable, staff pleasant at every turn. Original departure was delayed 2 hours due to "maintenance issues". Boarding staff kept us updated on our timeline. Cash cannot be used on the plane for food and beverages. CC only. Two small things. Seats are close together. If you are over 6 feet tall, you might feel cramped. Second, we overheard a conversation between a customer and flight attendant where the attendant wanted the customer to change seats to accommodate a family that did not pre-pay for seat selection and was spread over the plane. The trouble was the customer being asked to change seats HAD pre- paid for his seat selection but was still being pressured to move even after he explained he had paid for current seat. The attendant was insistent and the guy ended up moving.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by J Jaeger    (USA)

Standard

My favorite airline, JetBlue, was impossibly expensive for one way from Ft Myers, FL to Boston, so I didn't have much of a choice except to give them a try. I booked online, adding $35 for carry on and $14 for seat selection of an aisle seat and still came in under $200 - way below any others for a non-stop late reservation. I printed out my boarding pass before leaving home. I carried on a sandwich and drink. The aircraft, Airbus 320 with 3-3 seating, seemed brand new. Everything was spotless and unscratched. The seats were tight and close, but not any more so than AirTran. Half way through the flight I realized the seats didn't recline, but it was just a 3 hour flight, so endurable. The boarding process was painless; it was a full flight and we left on time and arrived early. I didn't get out of my seat, so can't comment on the bathroom facilities. Also, I had to answer all the questions, but I had no experience with staff service, food and beverages and inflight entertainment, so only rated them 1 star, which might affect my overall rating. I recommend Spirit, with the caveat that it definitely is no frills and would fly them again if price and a non-stop flight are my only concerns.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by J Bayer    (USA)

Standard

My daughter and 3 friends flew to Ft Lauderdale last week. This is the worst airline out there! Flight delayed then diverted (I called for update on flight and was told flight didn't even take off and passengers were put on JetBlue to arrive the next day! Flight was in Atlantic City refuelling). They nickel and dime you for everything, even water, seats tOo close to each other, flight attendants are obviously not paid well because they were miserable! I don't care how cheap they are I would never use again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 March 2014 by S Kenny    (USA)

Standard

I flew from Detroit to Vegas last week. I arrived to check in and there were 50 in line and two people working. There was one kios machine that wasn't working. I couldn't believe all the hidden fees especially the cost for a carry on bag or if you don't have a boarding pass. They also charge you for drinks. There was a CBS special on Sunday morning showing how terrible as far as hidden costs, and no leg room this airline is and how they squeeze 30 extra seats on the plane. No wonder they are trying to limit the weight of bags to help save on fuel because there are 30 extra people on board the flights! Never again will I fly Spirit. I'd rather spend the money up front, get more leg room and drinks. I don't like the failure to be up front about costs.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 March 2014 by T Jowers    (USA)

Standard

I will not be foolish enough to use this airline again. Make sure to read the small print about carry on luggage. I have a very small carry on roller that they would not let me carry on even though it was under weight and would have fit easily in the overhead. They claimed that it would not because the Airbus 319 did not have big enough overhead bins and it would not fit under the seat - I had to pay an extra $45 each way to bring my bag - which far surpassed the savings. Add to that the unhelpful and slightly rude check in crew, and you end up with a less than desirable experience.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  26 March 2014 by Maria Peters    (USA)

March 20 2014. I paid $491 rt from LAX to Fort Lauderdale plus a $100 for my tiny carry on, plus $32 for the seats - total $629. I have never flown this airline before and never will again! Horrible customer service, cramped seats, no radio or TV, smelly and the dirtiest bathrooms I have used! I will never recommend or fly this airline!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2014 by Paula Blankenship    (USA)

Standard

Flew from Chicago to Ft Lauderdale, 3/17/14. Horrible service. $190 to check our bag plus $25 for 8# overage. Very rude staff at airport. They didn't help with anything! Nothing complimentary on this flight. I will never fly with them again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2014 by Javon Stephens    (USA)

Standard

Flight #428, TPA-MSP, March 23rd 2014. The worst flying experience I have had. Departure was delayed 5 hrs into the wee hours of the morning, I had to call my family 4 times when departure kept being changed. I can truly say that I will never fly Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2014 by J Jackson    (USA)

Standard

Family had tickets to fly from Latrobe PA to Orlando on Mar 22, 2014 - was told to arrive at airport 2 hrs early. flight was to leave at 5.50pm. Around the time when passengers should have boarded the plane, they announced the plane was delayed due to hitting a bird on the way in to PA. Was told the plane would leave around 8pm. Needless to say, had to stay at a hotel until the next morning, was told to arrive at 6am plane was scheduled to leave at 8am - this never happened. Plane left at 1pm. Family had to cancel trip since they could not arrive in Orlando port in time. They are rude and do not communicate to their passengers, when they do communicate, it is all lies. Never fly this airlines - the small discount in price is not worth all the headaches you will experience with Spirit!

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by Conner Lee    (USA)

Standard

I have used many airlines but Spirit is the worst one of all. They charge you for both carry-on and check-in bags. I understand check-in bags but charging for carry-on? Carry-on is more expensive than check in. I ended up spending $80 just to check in my bag round trip. Only reason I chose spirit was because their tickets were cheap but in the end it caused far more inconvenience for the same price. I did not make the flight and I ended up having to stay at the Arizona sky harbor airport for over 10 hours extra. I called customer service line and all they kept saying was that they can't do anything over the phone and I have to talk to the gate agent. Needless to say I will not be flying Spirit again.

Spirit Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by Travis Whitfill    (USA)

Standard

I will never fly Spirit Airlines again. They slap on ridiculous fees for everything - including (1) fees for checked bags and carry-on bags, (2) fees for the option to select your seat, and (3) $3 for even water! I am 6'5" and generally have no problem fitting in airline seats, but was not even able to fit into the seats on Spirit Airlines. Most cramped I've ever been. When I called Spirit trying to ask questions, their phone service was horrendous and I couldn't even talk to a real person!

Spirit Airlines Reviews Spirit Airlines Passenger Opinions Spirit Airlines product service standards

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax