Malaysia Airlines Customer Reviews and Malaysia Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2014 by JH Tou    (Singapore)

Flying from Singapore to Beijing on 03 November 2014 (MH606 and MH360) and returning on 12 November 2014 (MH361 and MH611) with transit at Kuala Lumpur. 3 of the 4 sectors were near to perfection. Most of the cabin crews were polite. The food and beverage served on board were nice and tasty. The only problem to be mentioned could be the malfunction toilet at the rear of the cabin on the Singapore - Kuala Lumpur sector (MH606).

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2014 by Ross Clark    (UK)

LHR-KUL-AKL-KUL-LHR. A mixed bag. Positives: The A380s are superb, esp in top deck economy, and they have a very good IFE (if limited in choice compared with EK's). The service was fine, and I got this at an excellent fare. Areas which need work: you can't choose your seating online, as with EK, and have to go through the airline instead; the online check in asks you to print your boarding passes, but (at AKL, anyway) these had to be reprinted - took extra time; the IFE on the B777 services (to/from AKL) is now next to obsolete, and is very limited in its selection. I would fly with them again, but they are still somewhat behind the 8-ball.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2014 by M Deacon    (UK)

I flew from Heathrow to Sydney stopping over in Kuala Lumpur for 2nights 3days. On my return trip I travelled back on my own. My family upgraded me to business class with assistance in place because of health issues. I was looked after from start to finish, the service and staff were excellent, I have flown with them before and would fly with them again.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2014 by Fahimi Husain    (Malaysia)

KUL-BKI-KUL (transit in LBU and MYY on the way back). Pleasant experience in all sectors. Good food, generous portion. Aircraft clean, crews very attentive and helpful. No hotels for transit passengers (more than 6hrs). MH should look on this matter as other major airlines do provide accommodation for transit customers.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by David Meyer    (Germany)

I flew FRA-KUL-SIN with Malaysia on the 23rd of November 2014 in economy and it has been a good experience: The seating in the 777-200 is really good - I like the 2-5-2-configuration, at least as long as my wife and I get on the double seats at the windows, sitting in the row of 5 would be bothersome, on the other hand, sitting at the window in a 3-3-3 configuration is nearly the same - 2 persons have to rise if you want to get out. The seat comfort is excellent. I'm traveling a lot and the pitch of 34 inches in economy is world-class, in addition to that the seats, even if they look a little bit worn, have a lumbar support and a good recline. The screens for the IFE are very small, but the choice of movies is great, so this is ok. The food was the best I ever had in economy class, warm, tasty and enough, staff offered drinks all the time, even the wine was of good quality. The only point that should be better is the kindliness if the staff - they did what they had to do, but there was no smile at all. The flight KUL-SIN was on a brand-new 737-800 and very short, not much to say about that.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by D Cook    (UK)

Flew LHR-KUL-PER on MH3 and MH125 with my wife and 2 year old son. Contrary to what I read about MAS' policy on seating children on top deck in economy I was happy that we had been seated there in the middle row of 4 seats. I was even happier when before take off the stewardess moved the gentleman sat next to us to an exit seat so that we all had more room, he was also very pleased. The cabin decor I must say is fantastic, compared to the SQ route we took last year it is far ahead. Both planes were also in very good condition compared to other airlines on similar routes e.g. EK and SQ. The seats were well designed but as Mr Walsh has pointed out previously they are not as good as the old 747 seats on older MAS flights. I am also 6"3' and we are talking about economy after all so it can only be bearable. The food on the flight was pretty good for economy, there were plenty of beverages served throughout the flight and my wife's veg and sons child's meal were always served first and his tray was always cleared before the remainder of the cabin. The only thing that's worth pointing out is that on EK and SQ for such a long flight there is usually a selection of sandwiches to snack on however we were only given chocolate bars and crips which I thought was a bit cheap. Appreciate the airline is struggling financially but I fail to see how depriving passengers on which is already a long and tiring flight a decent snack. The cabin crew were polite but lacked the Malaysian hospitality that I have come to expect from MAS. Having flown with them regularly since 2004 they were not quite up to the previous standard. They were not rude or anything like that, just that they were going through their motions as quickly as possible. Considering the cost of the tickets were several hundred pounds less than SQ or EK I would definitely recommend MH.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2014 by M Walsh    (UK)

20th Nov 2014, MH002, Kuala Lumpur (dep 2355) to London Heathrow. Minus points: 1) Uncomfortable seat. I generally find seating less supportive and comfortable than those used on MH and SQ's 747-400 fleets of yesteryear, and I have found the seating on SQs and MH's A380 and QR's A330 and A340 to be much of the same. This particular seat felt like it was worn down, and it was the emergency exit row seat 42K, which I had paid extra for, so this was particularly annoying. 2) Cold cabin, but nowhere near as cold as the outbound MH001 flight I took on 31st October, which I also reviewed. 3) As mentioned in my aforementioned review of the 31st October MH001 flight, the in-flight entertainment is lagging behind - slow, poorly laid out and not intuitive. Plus points: 1) Attentive and friendly cabin crew, as ever. 2) Informative and friendly Captain. 3) Good quality food. 4) The content of in-flight entertainment is sound. General thoughts: An enjoyable flight again, but one in which I could not sleep well or get comfortable in. In-flight service is exemplary.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by J Teoh    (Australia)

SYD-LHR-SYD in Business Class. SYD-KUL-SYD on A330-300 and KUL-LHR-KUL on A380. All flights on time. Aircraft on all four flights were new and clean. Cabin crew were excellent on all flights. They were polite, helpful, friendly and always addressed me by name. Booked meals via Chef-on-call, all of which were honoured. Meals were tasty and of a decent portion. IFE was AVOD and had a reasonably good selection of latest releases as well as older favourites. Seats on the A330-300 were comfortable in the sitting and reclining positions but are angled flat and not that comfortable for sleeping. Storage space is severely lacking in these seats. Seats on the A380 are far superior. They are very comfortable in all positions and are completely flat, which allowed me to get a good amount of sleep. There is also an excellent amount of storage space, especially for window seats. MAS now provide covers for their business class seats that help to smooth out the seat and add a little more padding. Bathrooms were always kept clean on all flights. Priority for premium classes and elite level passengers was provided when available for things such as check-in, security and immigration, boarding, disembarking, baggage delivery and customs. Overall an excellent product that is let down a little by the seats on their A330-300, which really need to be completely flat. My only other suggestion for MAS would be to serve champagne as a pre-departure beverage, as it is currently their policy not to. Otherwise, it was an excellent flight experience from beginning to end and it was also competitively priced, which made it excellent value for money. I would not hesitate to fly with them.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by M Walsh    (UK)

31st Oct 2014, Flight: MH001, London Heathrow (2200 dep) to Kuala Lumpur. Minus points: 1) This was nowhere near a full flight yet, when serving dinner shortly after take-off they quickly ran out of one of the two standard options on offer. 2) The cabin was very cold. I was in the window seat 43K and had no one sat next to me, so I turned off all 3 vents and used to blankets, despite wearing 3 layers, including my hoody with the hood up. Still cold. 3) The in-flight entertainment user interface sorely needs updating - it is slow, cumbersome and far from intuitive, and there really isn't a need for the old-style dual-hole headphone jacks to be retained. Refer to Dragonair as an example of a modern system. Plus points: 1) Cabin crew friendly as ever, MH's true asset. 2) Nice in-flight meals, although the dinner option that was left (tuna lasagne) might be considered an acquired taste. 3) Despite criticisms of in-flight entertainment, there was ample content and of a wide range. General notes: Contrary to what my notes and scores might suggest, I did enjoy this flight, and very much looked forward to it - my first flight with MH in 7 years, and my first on their A380. But flying with them certainly isn't the experience that it used to be. I had flown on 31 MH flights prior to this, and can say that they deserved those Skytrax 5-Star Airline ratings, but right now they're not quite there. A simple measure like not running out of certain food on a 2/3 full flight would help, as something like that isn't acceptable.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  17 November 2014 by C Machado    (Australia)

Travelled KL to Adelaide on 11/11/2014. Seats OK but sleep quality poor. Cabin crew polite but impersonable - no warmth or sincerity - travelled Economy Class and I felt that we were made to feel that way. Instead of serving peanuts to passengers first, drinks (water/juice) should be served first. Refreshments seemed to take aeons to arrive. Food unappetizing. Breakfast of a chicken/tuna sandwich short of appalling. Toilets were not spruced up during the course of the flight OR if they were, poor job was done - they were disgusting by the time the flight approached Adelaide. In short, irrespective of fares, I will never fly MAS again.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  17 November 2014 by J Boonzaier    (Singapore)

Flew SIN-KUL-HCM-KUL-DXB-KUL-SIN. All economy class. Clean, modern planes. Seating on the B737 was a bit tight but the longhaul A330 was quite spacious, even for a tall person like me. On all flights the staff were warm, friendly and efficient. No request was too much trouble. Food and entertainment were good. MAS seems to have gotten its groove back.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2014 by Gunawanto Johannes Tamawidjaja    (Indonesia)

MH726 and MH764 on October 28, 2014 from Jakarta to Siem Reap via Kuala Lumpur and flew back to Kuala Lumpur on MH765 on October 30, 2014. In essence, meal given to us was pretty simple. Simpler than a couple years ago. Pudding was not the fresh one - looked like it was made in a factory. Meal was presented in small box with two options to choose. Drink service was fine. Service given by the cabin crews varied. Some were nice, some were not in the mood and some looked unhappy. It seemed there was no set standard. The cabin was clean and in flight entertainment was fine on new B737-800 Series (there was no personal TV on MH726 unfortunately and the cabin looked rather old). On the way back to Jakarta on MH727 on October 31, 2014, the flight was very full. Long queues at the gate and flight boarded 40 minutes late.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2014 by Darren Weng    (China)

7 Nov PVG/KUL/LHR MH389/MH002, the service is very great. But the inflight entertainment needs to improve, especial for the music selection.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2014 by G Ghazi    (Australia)

SYD-KL-HAN. Extremely disappointed in the MA service. We ordered vegetarian meals on all four flights however there was a huge mix-up and were given everything but vegetarian meals. We called the booking line when we arrived at our destination to make sure that our meals were vegetarian on the way back. They confirmed that they would be. We got on our return flight and we were only served one vegetarian meal and one meal with meat. We spoke to the air hostess who said it was our fault because we didn't order a vegetarian meal with our booking. This was incorrect. Treating us as hindrances rather than being accommodating or apologetic, the attendant offered the staff meal which was vegetarian slop served cold. As you can imagine, we were extremely unimpressed. Further, the MA planes are dated and seating is uncomfortable. The attendants don't clean the toilets throughout the flight, so the floors were wet and the toilets smelt. Hands down the worst four flights of my life and will never fly MA again.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  11 November 2014 by K Williams    (UK)

I recently flew from Tokyo to Melbourne via Kuala Lumpur with Malaysian in Business Class. The whole experience was great, well organised boarding, smart attentive crew who really seemed to enjoy their job-unlike many European airlines, when you seem to be an inconvenience to the crew. The meals served on both sectors were the best I had ever experienced in Business Class, and I have flown on some of the big players in Europe and the USA. I was. Pleased to see the flight full and will be using Malaysian whenever possible in the future.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2014 by Nigel Parsons    (Australia)

Flew MH143 from SYD-KUL early in October, in economy. The meal service was a very small portion. I was surprised to find that the second meal was just a pastry and a beverage! The return leg was the same - breakfast was another pastry. I often fly SYD-SIN-KUL with another airline and get two full meals on the long sector. This time, I chose to support MH following the two recent disasters. I truly wish the airline a very prosperous future, but inflight catering must be improved.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by Rishad Patel    (India)

Mumbai to Siem Reap Via KL and back in economy. We managed to do a seat reservation all the way so we got the seats we wanted. Strangely the website would not let me do this and finally I called the office in Mumbai and they did the same for us. Flight from BOM to KUL was uneventful as its a night flight. Food served after take off and was quite awful. The BOM to KUL route is served by what seems like a very tired and old 777 and the 2-5-2 seating is great if you booked the 2 but seemed crammed for the rest. Leg room good. PTV options okay. From KUL to REP the flights were on a 737. Lunch served- once again the food was terrible. Staff and service all the way through was okay - nothing outstanding. Packed flight on all 4 sectors. Main reason for choosing MAS was the price was the cheapest way to get to Cambodia from India.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by Liao Christopher    (Malaysia)

MH143 on 7/10/2014. Just flew KL to Sydney. Service, food and inflight entertainment were excellent. Flight was 100% full. Will definitely continue to support MAS.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2014 by R Gonzaga    (Malaysia)

KUL-ADL return, out on 18 Oct and return on 25 Oct. Outbound flight was a red eye. On the outbound sector, service was generally good, albeit a little perfunctory by a male flight attendant who was occasionally a little rushed and gruff. Otherwise, the rest of the staff were great. In contrast to previous journeys, there was no rush to get the meal service over. There was a good choice of wine and spirits. Inflight entertainment was extensive but not to my liking, but that's a personal choice. They supply you with a duvet, pillows and a rather sad amenity bag which is embarrassingly cheap and tacky (apart from the creams and moisturizers). The seat is angled flat and is terrible for sleep. I am 183 cm tall and was constantly sliding down and ended up setting the chair at an armchair recline to try and get some sleep. The return flight was great, just 6 people in business class so there was lots of attention and the attendants were truly warm and friendly . They got it right in that they were unobtrusive but yet managed to keep their eye on your glass and plate, offering second helpings of food and topping up wine regularly. I used the book-the-cook service and my main meal of nasi lemak was just okay, nothing special. Bear in mind that nasi lemak out of Adelaide is not to be recommended! Generally, I was quite satisfied apart from the angled-flat seats. MAS, do something about these seats in your A330's!

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by Bazlee Matzain    (Australia)

Flew 18 Oct, MH127, KUL-PER. Got lucky by the airline upgrade program and sat on business class 1st row. Food was plentiful and entertainment system was full with many latest movies. Temperature in the cabin were a bit too low. The journey was smooth throughout but the landing was rough. The weather at airport was bad and with the pilot aborted landing at 1st attempt. Loud applause could be heard when the pilot landed the plane safely after 2nd attempt. As a frequent flyer, this was a memorable experience.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by Danny Tang    (Malaysia)

Flew MAS on 1st September, Penang to Kuala Lumpur and then Kuala Lumpur to Kuching. Price was reasonable and cheaper than AirAsia, surprisingly. Check-in was alright. Food was nice. Only peanut and fruit juice were served on flight from Penang to KL, but I think it's sufficient for a short flight. Took only 25 minutes for the flight to fly from Penang to KL. I noticed they no longer produce their own peanut butter, it's now supplied by a Malaysian company unrelated to MAS. The only complaint on this flight was the extremely rough landing. Flight from KL to Kuching was nice. Flight attendants were nice. Choice of food was either frittata or nasi lemak. Frittata was not served hot, sadly, and the potato wedges were soggy. Besides that, I have no other complaints. MAS may be going through a difficult time, but it is coping well in my opinion. I'll definitely fly MAS again.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by Mark Niall    (Australia)

Flew MH31 IST to KLIA 11/10/14 then MH135 to BNE. Flights on time. Service and all crew excellent. Good food and beverage. This airline is really trying. We could not have had better or easier flights.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by Anders Pedersen    (Denmark)

SGN-KUL-SGN on 11-12 October 2014. There were very few passengers on the first flight (Boeing 737-800), 5 in business and approx. 15 in economy. Second flight were full in economy due to a large Malaysian sports team Service and FA in business was top notch in both directions! Special meal provided perfectly, food options available, wine-list, and champagne, though the flight lasts 2 hour only. Real business seats are in old, solid, heavily polstered style (reclining). IFE and headphones (though tiny) worked fine. Tables are small and not very stable. KUL Malaysia Airlines' Golden Lounge in KUL is airy, spacious, and very good. Space for approx. 250 pax, I slept there overnight in the Relaxation Room (4 beds), had shower, and local, hot food (some 3 dishes offered) MH is still bleeding as there is only very few persons in the lounge partly because of weekend. This airline deserves to survive with glamour and is on par with QR and EK.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by M Bartrock    (Australia)

Melbourne - Frankfurt (Return). The flights to Germany were actually quite good. Was in a Boeing 777-200 and while the plane was probably a little old, the seats were comfortable with good leg room and entertainment was fine. Flights ran on time and service was professional and attentive. I will say that that the fact that the flight was not full helped as I was able to get two seats to myself. With food, an important point to realise is that the food is usually made and loaded onto the plane at the departure point. So the Melbourne - KL food was good, but the food from KL to FRA was fairly ordinary. On the way back, FRA to KL was fine, but the KL to Melbourne flight was pretty bad. Service was poor and sloppy, food was dreadful, seats uncomfortable (expected given it was an airbus). It seemed to be more of a code share flight as most passengers were Sri Lanka Airlines and KLM passengers connecting to Melbourne. Would fly again, but choose my flights a bit more carefully next time. Not as good as it was about 18 months ago, but standards haven't fallen away that much. I left in September and came back in October, yet had the same entertainment program on outbound and inbound which wasn't too pleasing given long hauls involved.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by Tan Kim Ming    (Malaysia)

Was on board MH2047, SDK-BKI on 17 Oct 2014. Was a 737-800, not a full flight. FA was great. Drinks was serve twince. IFE was so- so as not headphone was gived. USB Port was not in working condition. Flight took off and landed early. KKIA was like a dead town - peace and quiet.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by S Bailey    (Thailand)

BKK-KUL-SIN-KUL-SIN in Business. Great value for money. Service from check-in staff and on-board was just excellent.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by A Gautam    (Nepal)

KUL-KTM, 9 Oct, MH 114. Below average service from the FA and disgusting food. It took them an hour and a half after takeoff to serve meals and there was no turbulence to delay it. Platinum status not acknowledged as well as names not used at all by the unfriendly lead stewardess and her crew. It's a pity the way this once great airline is headed.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  16 October 2014 by Anders Pedersen    (Denmark)

SGN-KUL-SGN on 11-12 October 2014. There were very few passengers on the first flight (Boeing 737-800), 5 in business and approx. 15 in economy. Second flight were full in economy due to a large Malaysian sports team Service and FA in business was top notch in both directions! Special meal provided perfectly, food options available, wine-list, and champagne, though the flight lasts 1½hour only. Real business seats in old, solid style (reclining). IFE and headphones worked fine. Tables are small and not very stable. KUL Malaysia Airlines' Golden Satay Lounge in KUL is airy, spacious, and very good. Space for approx. 250 pax, I slept there overnight in the Relaxation Room (4 beds), had shower, and local, hot food (some 3 dishes offered) MH is still bleeding as there is only very few persons in the lounge partly because of weekend. This airline deserves to survive with glamour and is on par with QR and EK.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Noor Muzamil Mohamad    (Malaysia)

KUL-CDG (Paris) A380-800 Upper Deck (31 August 2014) LHR (London)-KUL A380-800 Upper Deck (7 September 2014). Very good service for both route. But a bit delay on arrival to Kuala Lumpur from London. Inflight entertainment should be upgraded.

Malaysia Airlines Customer review :  13 October 2014 by J Martin    (UK)

MAS is truly an airline that has lost its way. For long-haul they used to be a byword for comfort and good service, with their old 747s having a greater-than-average seat pitch. Since taking delivery of their A380s this has all changed for the worse. Seats are now as crammed-in as with almost all airlines but, worse still, are actually uncomfortable to sit on. Cabin service is far worse, with many staff appearing to wish they were anywhere but on duty with MAS. Meal quality is mediocre except for special meals that are generally good. Added to all this are very high fares and what I regularly find to be the worst and most unworkable website of all the airlines I have used in the electronic ticket age. "MH" is supposed to mean "Malaysian Hospitality" - but the Malaysian government might like to lean on this airline to make this a realistic claim if they really want people to visit Malaysia. Sorry MAS but you are a once-good now poor airline.