Malaysia Airlines

"They seem to be really penny pinching"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Flew Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok. I have tried my best to support Malaysia Airlines over the past few years and found they were always good despite their troubles and cutbacks but I must admit this lastest business class trip was extremely disappointing and really puts their standing into doubt. The first thing I noticed is that their system no longer allows you to select a seat using online check-in. Surely this helps the check in process at the airport as it’s 1 less thing for check-in staff to have to do. I know they have removed alcohol from their shorter flights and this needed to be addressed as some years ago you were offered alcohol on a 1 hour domestic flight at 7.30 in the morning! Obviously ridiculous and unnecessary. But this was a mid afternoon international business class flight, I don’t intend getting completely drunk on a flight but it is nice to have a wine with dinner on an international flight, especially in business class, this is very disappointing. They seem to be really penny pinching and slowly getting worse and worse, there is little that is endearing me to them any more and so they will no longer be my automatic first choice, they don’t deserve the custom.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Bangkok
Date FlownDecember 2017

"cabin crew were very attentive"

Trip Verified | The trip from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur with Malaysia Airlines was wonderful. I had a restful flight on the Airbus 330-300 and the cabin crew were very attentive. The signature satay is not to be missed, and don't be embarrassed to ask for more. However, from Kuala Lumpur to Taipei, it was only a Boeing 737-800 aircraft. Cabin crew were great, but the seats were old-school business class seats - they were not lie-flat ones. During our layover in KUL, the flagship Golden Lounge was closed for renovations. So, we had to use a smaller lounge.
AircraftA330-300 and Boeing 737-800
RouteMelbourne to Taipei via Kuala Lumpur

"Simply unacceptable"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Simply unacceptable for Malaysia Airlines to operate a single-aisle plane on a 5.50 hour long flight from Kuala Lumpur to Perth. Was a horrible experience especially after flying from Europe. Price was 2.5% more than usual due to holiday pricing. So many airline options flying from Perth. Use them!
RouteKuala Lumpur to Perth
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"a lot of areas could be improved"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | This is the second time I have flown the Kuala Lumpur - London Heathrow with Malaysia Airlines since 2013. I had checked in online and printed my boarding pass, and in the end I had the seat I initially choose. Inside of the aircraft was rather clean and tidy, their blanket was nice and cozy and earphones were comfortable to wear. The displayed information regarding the safety instructions is easy to reach. Toilets are very clean as well and the cabin crews on this particular flight were rather pleasant and responded quickly to my request. The flight overall was quiet though there was some turbulence, to be fair this is beyond the airlines control. I unfortunately felt under the weather during the flight and the crews were able to accommodate my requests. A couple of issues which could be improved is that their entertainment system is certainly not the easiest to navigate. I ended up taking out my laptop to work and listen to my own music instead of using their system. The food they provided has fallen below par with the reputation they had, whilst the food is served warm, it certainly lacks flavour. You get what you pay for, the price they offered for this particular trip was competitive enough for me to take it. For a 13 hours plus flight I did have the amenities they promised and did not regret my decision. To summarise, "Good value for money, but a lot of areas could be improved".
RouteKuala Lumpur to London Heathrow
Date FlownDecember 2017

"FA's were courteous and observant"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Travelled SGN-KUL-PNH, 10 Jan 2018 on one of their old B373-800. Ticket bought online, MHs website and the design and ticket issuing has been revamped and modernised. Takes me less than 10 minutes to buy a ticket and the price is clear and fixed from beginning till end. At SGN-airport, check-in was quick and perfect. Onboard, recommended by staff to change my seat to get a spacious section to myself, which is a pro-active, positive effort by the FAs. Pre-departure drinks offered. No alcoholic drinks on these short flights, but they normally allow discrete, modest consumption of own supplies. Food menu dished out. 3 hot dishes offered on flights less than 100 minutes. Had a wonderful noddle-prawn dish (mee Siam), which went down with pleasure. Offered sparkling water, and they gave me a full bottle and inserted a lemon boat to beef it up – well done. FA's were courteous and observant. IFE excellent, quality headphone dishes out. Lounge access granted in Saigon ("Apricot") and in KLIA ("Golden regional"), both lounges of high quality. Basically a 5-star experience, though the ageing aircraft and limitation of drink varieties deduct a little bit on rating. Went on a sales ticket (“End of Year”-promotion) from MH-website and paid only 148 usd for these 2 legs (287 USD/return). Faultless travel - a true gift. The proof is that I spend gladly ½ day travelling this huge deviation between SGN and PNH instead of going direct which takes only 1 hour. Furthermore, I earned a substantial amount of miles to my OneWorld FFP-card, inserted within 6 days.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh via Kuala Lumpur

"food has improved"

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to London Heathrow. Excellent service, food has improved. The staff has been great. They offer friendly attentive service and did many drinks round. During the flight, the passenger in front of me spilled coffee over her shirt. The crew noticed it and swiftly passed her a wet towel. They also responded to an array of unusual drink requests efficiently, all with a smile. I fly frequently between Kuala Lumpur and London. The flight time is 13.5 hours. In the past, Malaysia Airlines tend to serve a hot meal 2 hours after departure, a snack 6 hours after departure, then another hot meal 10 hours departure. As a result, some passengers can feel hungry between the 2 hot meals service. On this occasion, the inflight supervisor announced that they are trialling a new meal service timing. This time the first hot meal was served 2 hour after take-off. The second hot meal was moved forward, being served around 7 or 8 hours after take off. Then, they handed out a snack box for passengers to consume at their leisure. A few hours later, they also handed out packs of peanuts. Passengers didn't feel the hunger and in fact I noted my fellow passengers joked that the airlines keep on feeding them. I like this new service. It also increases the cabin crew service frequency. I also noted the snack box has improved both in terms of quantity and quality. It used to be a pack of nuts plus a slice of cake. Now, it consist of a croissant with meat filling plus a chocolate. For the vegetarian, they get a foccacia filled with ratatouille. The thin blankets have also been replaced with warmer fleece blanket. The food quality has improved. We were served chicken satay with fried rice! Nonetheless, there are still room for improvement to the food, such as in the presentation and introducing healthier salad, as done by Delta Airlines. Overall, the Malaysia Airlines is taking steps to improve the customer experience.
RouteKuala Lumpur to London Heathrow
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"IFE wasn’t even updated"

(Indonesia)

Trip Verified | I flew from Delhi to Jakarta via Kuala Lumpur. Firstly our plane was delayed by an hour. Once the plane arrived I realized that the plane was so small compared to the one we came with. The IFE wasn’t even updated because on the KL to Jakarta flight there were more movies. The flight wasn’t that bad though. 5 hours later we landed in KL, since our flight was the next day we decided that we should look around KL. The next day our flight was at 6 pm, we woke up had breakfast and did some shopping and then headed to the airport. As the connection was less than 24 hours the checked in bags stayed at the airport. Again the plane was small, but we were not concerned as it was a 2 hr flight. Once we landed we were walking to the conveyer belt when we realized that 3/4 of our bags were at the lost and found. On the tag it said MH725 the correct one and a sticker on top of it with the word Rush and MH711 which is the early morning flight. We were missing our last bag so we checked with the staff about our bag. They checked it in the system and it said file not found. We finally got it on the conveyor belt as the last baggage.
RouteDelhi to Jakarta via Kuala Lumpur

"FA's were professional"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Hong Hong to Ho Chi Minh via Kuala Lumpur on 4-5 January 2018. Checked in 10 hours early in HKG and was granted lounge access (elite flier). First flight on time, 2nd flight delayed almost 1 hour. Both boarding cards issued instantly. Lounge in KUL also good though only the Golden Lounge in main terminal was open and only from 05 o’clock morning. Slept in the open terminal. Onboard seating next to my son was automatically granted. Special meals accommodated. IFE does not work well but was OK. FA's were professional. Good information from captain. Luggage (3 pieces) arrived smoothly. No alcohol on the short sector. A big minus is that they stopped serving people already 1 full hour prior to landing – this is a mean cost cutting measure, and it came cowardly without any prior notice.
RouteHong Hong to Ho Chi Minh via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"disappointed with the ground crew"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Manila via Kuala Lumpur. My second time flying with Malaysia Airlines. Check-in counters at Changi Airport supposed to be opened 3 hours before the departure time, but were opened 2 hours before the departure time. We had to queue and we waited for almost an hour before the counters opened. I was disappointed with the ground crew - however, the cabin crew is friendly. Food is not good as it looks, like the one being served by the budget airlines. They should update their IFE as there very few selection of new movies.
RouteSingapore to Manila via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownDecember 2017

"efficient but not so attentive"

(China)

Trip Verified | Shanghai to London via Kuala Lumpur in business class. PVG to KUL on A330. Cabin was spacious and complete clean. Cabin crew was friendly, attentive and professional. Food was tasteful. The only complaint is that seat is a bit narrow and I could not find good sleep position. I was seated 7K. Maybe I have to choose 7A for my next trip. Anyway it was a very pleasant flight. From KUL to LHR on A380. Cabin was spacious but terribly messy. My seat was full of bread crumbs and dust. It was a flight starting from Malaysia Airlines hub. I could not understand how cabin had been cleaned. Cabin crew was efficient but not so attentive, because of midnight flight? Seat was quite comfortable. But seat topper and quilt were not comfortable at all. One more complaint I was their food. I pre-ordered seafood meal. But all meals I got on both flights, including breakfast before arriving at LHR were the same, the same fish! Incredible! Two flights on the same airline on the same day gave me two totally different impression. I have flown Malaysia Airlines several times in C class. I would expect that KUL to LHR flight was an exception.
AircraftA330 / A380