Malaysia Airlines

"It was a bad experience"

Trip Verified | The flight from Kuala Lumpur to Hyderabad (Jul 8th, 21:40) was announced canceled just at the moment we should be boarding (20:40). We were stuck inside at the Transfer Counter where it has taken about 2 hours or more to get our voucher for hotel stay that night. Worst part was that the shuttle to hotel that was about to start at 12 AM started around 1:15 AM. They waited for an hour at the airport for other passengers. The kids were very tired and when we reached the hotel, it was almost 2:20 AM. We hardly had any sleep. And had to get up by 5 AM to rush back by 6 AM shuttle to airport. It was better to stay back at the airport rather be awake all night, waiting in the shuttle for an hour and travelling back and forth to the hotel 1 hour each way. We opted for vegetarian meal and the food was worst. And for vegetarians, there are not many options at the airport though the airline gave vouchers. It was a bad experience.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Hyderabad
Date FlownJuly 2018

"All 4 flights had delays"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Singapore via Kuala Lumpur. All 4 flights had delays over an hour even for the short KUL-SIN sectors. KUL-HKG / HKG-KUL sector was both over 3 hours delayed and had me arrive at HKG past 2am! Not only would I miss the train but had me took a very expensive cab ride home to HK Island. As for the hard product, dont get me started with that ageing 737 where J really feel like Premium Economy. On the bright side, kudos to the crew, it was hard to fault them.
RouteHong Kong to Singapore via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJuly 2018

"crews were pretty friendly"

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to New Delhi in May for birthday trip, it was like 5 hours flight, the inflight meal was horrible, I ordered seafood meal ahead of time online, but I did enjoy the prawn salad before the main course. The cabin design was nice and comfortable, the pillow was small with purple color blanket. Cabin crews were pretty friendly on board.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Delhi
Date FlownMay 2018

"still not had any response"

Trip Verified | London to Kota Kinabalu via Kuala Lumpur. I've flown business class on MH regionally and domestic six times in the past 2 years and been very happy (apart from the no alcohol policy), so decided to book this long haul business class flight. MH3 LHR-KUL had a creeping delay which ended up at 5 hours 50 mins late. New onboard business product on A350 is very cramped and a big disappointment. While in Sabah MH reservations removed my return booking from their system which caused me problems and humiliation at check in at Kota Kinalablu and again at KL transfer desk (30mins plus 45mins), as they couldn't get my booking back to be live on their system to issue boarding passes. When we did eventually get on the flights we didn't have the seats we'd selected. I submitted a complaint 20 June and still not had any response 1 month later. Shockingly poor service to a bus class pax and OneWorld Sapphire card holder. They seem to be ignoring their legal obligations to pay delay compensation for an EU originating flight.
AircraftA350-900 / Boeing 737-800
RouteLondon to Kota Kinabalu via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJune 2018

"the lack of beer or wines"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Flew Ho Chi Minh City to Bangkok via Kuala Lumpur on their ageing B737’s on 21st July 2018. Check-in in SGN was a breeze as usual – I always get the feeling that they just are waiting for me at the counter. This time there were 6 Biz-pax in front of me, but they spotted me as I apparently travelled without inscribed luggage. Thus I was picked aside by the MH-manager who personally checked me in and changed my seats without even asking: he just by his own reassigned me other seats – at first I did not discover – but then later while in the lounge: I checked the aircraft’s configuration: he had given me other, better seats, much appreciated. It took him two Minutes at the counter to issue BPs throughout. I) was granted 50 kg luyggage that I did not use. They respect other Oneworld elite travellers and gave me the earned privileges to “their” SGN-lounge – they use Apricot, a 3rd-party lounge of good quality with excellent views of the tarmac. That lounge improves day by day, I really like the effort. Had some stuff printed out from the Lounge’s business-centre within Minutes. However, the amazing regional “Golden-lounge” in KLIA is even better, inc. sparkling wines and domesticated buffet with hot dishes. One senior staff helped me to make a complicated rebooking and spent over 1 hour for me and eventually we succeeded for a modest ticket change fee; well done. First flight on time – second flight delayed 45 Minutes waiting on the tarmac. On board the FAs are good – even in economy. Special meal pre-ordered and effectuated to perfection. Flights on time – have neither had serious delays nor luggage problem with this airline. Thus, at times when I read several of the reviews in this forum I cannot recognise that it’s the same airline. IFE fair/good on 2nd leg but lacking on 1st leg. Seats OK and spacious for economy. MH are opting their game. However, the lack of beer or wines served onboard on short and medium-haul flights are a big minus that put the airline at max. 4 stars out of 5.
AircraftB737-800
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Bangkok via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Overall a bad experience"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Flight was supposed to be at 11:45am on 21/7/18. We were told at approximately 10:32am that the flight was “retimed” (fancy way of saying “delayed” I suppose) to 1:40pm. Just under 2 hours. It is now 2:49pm and I have been sitting in the aircraft for the last 1.5 hours and it hasn’t moved. No concession of any sort given to passengers. You say it’s an under two hour delay but in actual fact it is more than 3 hours. This is very frustrating and shame on you for allowing such delays like this. To make matters worse you don’t provide ear phones for us to watch movies. We can’t order drinks because it’s a short flight apparently. Overall a bad experience.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Singapore
Date FlownJuly 2018

"gave me the meal vouchers"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Kuala Lumpur. I took MH606 on 21 Jul and there was a flight delay of more than 2 hours. It was known on Malaysia airlines website that meals compensation should be provided if delay exceeds 2 hours. However, meal vouchers was not given automatically until I asked for it. The officer claim compensation only provided if delay more than 2 hours but finally gave me the meal vouchers. There were many people in the line who queued for 45min and receive nothing. MH should provide compensation automatically to passengers inconvenience without people asking for it. This is even so especially compensation note was published officially on the website.
RouteSingapore to Kuala Lumpur

"Ticket shamelessly cheap"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City via Kuala Lumpur on their ageing B737’s on 20th July 2018. Both flights almost full in both classes. First flight delayed 30 Minutes (well announced!), next flight on time. Check-in in Phnom Penh was tedious with an annoying junior 3rd part staff. He wanted to force me to inscribe 1 of 2 pieces of hand-luggage which I tried to refuse and eventually succeeded. There is only 1½ hour check-in time in Phnom Penh which is far too little for full flights like this. As the only Oneworld Airline in the Airport, the staff do not allow you to use your check-in online boarding cards – just waste of time as you have to go through all the check in formalities in Airport anyway. Lounge granted is Plaza Premium, a nicely designed and furbished lounge, but with residing food and drink offerings. Their Bakery is closed. The amazing “Golden-lounge” in KLIA main terminal is nice and spacious. On board FAs are professional and kind. Seat selection and special meals are all free when ticket is purchased on their website. I ordered seafood meal and it was fine on both legs. I tasted other offerings from the menu as well. IFE systems good with touch screens. The big classic business class chairs are extremely nice - better than new lie flat seats. No alcoholic drinks offered. 2 months ago they stopped stand-by options to take earlier flight – a clear service deterioration. Ticket shamelessly cheap but was also purchased 6 months earlier at a sale – when purchased so early the risk of pricey changes/cancellations increase a lot.
RoutePhnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City via Kuala Lumpur

"It was a good flight"

(Malaysia)

Not Verified | Johor Bahru to Kuching via Kuala Lumpur. No high expectation since i paid only around MYR300 for this flight. Check in was efficient around 20 minutes in senai airport. Departed on time. First sector was in an old B737 with no ife, only overhead screen. Peanut and orange juice were served. Arrived on time in KLIA and i made to my next gate for next flight. Boarding was fast, flight around 75% full and i was in their new B737-800 with PTV. PTV was slow, but full of content. As expected, flight went very well with hot meals served as dinner. Made it to KCH on time, my luggage were not damaged and intact. It was a good flight.
RouteJohor Bahru to Kuching via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownMay 2018

"average, unremarkable experience"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Perth to Kuala Lumpur. Malaysia Airlines use a B737 which is not a comfortable jet for a 5.5 hour flight. The queue for the toilet gets long as in Y class they are located at the end of the aircraft. Boarding was handled very well by ground staff in PER. The aircraft was clean but dated. Seats were narrow and seat pitch on the B737 is a measly 30 inches. IFE was okay but the sound was scratchy over the headphones, despite trying a different pair. The food portions were tasty but really small. The flight from Perth leaves at 350pm and they serve you a full meal at that time. Why not wait for actual dinner time and serve the hot meal before landing? Alcohol was not offered readily and they don't get that you should have a drink WITH your meal and not after your meal. In one half of the aircraft, the FA was handing out meals with no drinks on her trolley. No hot drinks for most of the flight as there was turbulence half way through the flight but the seat belt sign was then left on for the remainder of the time. FA's were helpful and efficient but were not friendly in anyway. Overall, an average, unremarkable experience.
RoutePerth to Kuala Lumpur