Malaysia Airlines

"no IFE on short domestic flight"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Penang to Kuala Lumpur in May 2017. Flew in the morning, the check in was smooth. But the plane is quite old, no IFE on this short domestic flight. The seat is old and lousy. The flight attendant was okay, only snack in this 50 mins flight. The take off was smooth, and the landing too.
RoutePenang to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownMay 2017

"service was quick and the food adequate"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok. Used the efficient downtown KL Sentral check-in facility which alleviates the need to queue at KLIA. Friendly check-in staff. Train connection fast, stress free and comfortable. A short boarding delay but gate staff kept passengers informed. Boarding itself well organised and managed. Captain apologised for the delay (“operational reasons”). No mucking around with aircraft pushing back before last passenger seated. The usual standard two food options of chicken or fish, but service was quick and the food adequate. Arrival into Bangkok 15 minutes late, with baggage promptly delivered on conveyor belt. Pleasantly surprised to see bag priority tagged although not qualifying for this. Overall, a pleasant short-haul flight with no complaints. Aircraft clean, seat pitch fine, efficient staff and reasonable airfare. Would definitely use again.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Bangkok
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Nothing impressive on this flight"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Penang. I’m from Jakarta and take a transit around 1 hour here. Move to their domestic terminal, and get an older Malaysia Airlines plane for this domestic route. There is no meal, only snack. IFE was so so. Nothing impressive on this flight.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Penang
Date FlownMay 2017

"Okay but nothing impressive"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur. Morning flight with Malaysia Airlines, check in staff in Jakarta was okay. We going to Penang, and will transit in KLIA airport. Flight attendant was ok, the meals was so so. I don't like the leg room - its quite small for full service airlines comparing to GA and Malindo. IFE was ok, I enjoy it. Okay but nothing impressive.
RouteJakarta to Kuala Lumpur

"Overall it is okay"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Jakarta, everything on schedule - but when boarding is a bit a mess. The boarding staff is not capable enough. The seat is not wide enough comparing to other full service competitor in the region.The meals was OK, a bit salty for me. The flight attendant is just good. The take off is smooth and the landing too. Overall it is okay.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Jakarta
Date FlownMay 2017

"sent luggage to my hotel 20 hours later"

(Bangladesh)

Verified Review | Dhaka to Singapore via Kuala Lumpur. I am a One World Gold Card Member and I choose to fly Malaysia Airlines along with 2 colleagues and our luggage were tagged as priority. On arrival in Singapore, my priority luggage was missing and they sent my luggage to my hotel 20 hours later. Astonishingly same trouble I had experience traveling back from Singapore to Dhaka, my luggage is still missing for 22 hours and no update yet to be received. I am undone. My question is whether they understand the meaning of priority or not?
RouteDhaka to Singapore via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownNovember 2017

"cabin service was not all that special"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Jakarta-Bangkok via Kuala Lumpur return, so we had 4 legs of flight all with 737 planes. The plane was all old, and the interior showed its age though. One particular thing: Meal is not served in a big disposable tray as other airlines, but in a smaller box, which means less food is served. My biggest disappointment was that, in the last 3 legs, food choice offered was all the same - rice with fish and chicken with noodle. Since I don't eat fish, I would always choose the latter, and the taste, serving and even looks are all even exactly the same every time in all those legs! Fortunately for me, the IFE worked fine, and overall the cabin service was not all that special, seat was OK but not bad though, so I didn't have anything to complain other than the food. I hear that Malaysia Airlines has declined considerably since the two tragic incidents in 2014, and as a result they had their budget cut. However, considering that they were once a five star airline, I didn't expect their service to drop drastically as such (no meal tray provided!). The good news is, they announce sales promo frequently, and now they are cheaper than before. So if you don't demand much of an airline service and you're in a budget, in Southeast Asia, MH is a flight you might consider.
RouteJakarta to Bangkok via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownOctober 2017

"they dealt with it professionally"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Flew Ho Chi Minh - Kuala Lumpur - Phnom Penh on 7 November 2017. Regional Flights on B737-800 throughout. I bought a heavily discounted business class ticket from a dubious online agency. Booked for 2 days earlier than actually travelled but could not make my domestic connection to SGN due to typhoons upcountry. Thus, had to cancel at the last minute and retime to 1-2 days later to be sure to catch the international flight as the typhoon was very persistent. While the OTA was useless, impossible to contact, and provided vertically no information apart from a ticket number and schedule, I was desperate and saw my ticket as likely lost. However, I made a call to MH directly (through Saigon Office) and they dealt with it professionally, took over the booking from the OTA, and rebooked me with amble time at almost no cost. And suddenly I could access my booking on their system and order seats and special meals etc. At check-in in Saigon everything went smooth and quick. I took me less than 5 minutes from arriving until I had all my boarding passes in hand. I thereupon had a positive chat with the check-in counter as they were not busy. Lounge is third-party and called Apricot, good service tarmac views, and cooperative lounge staff. A flight delay of 75 Minutes incurred but was announced in full and clearly already 2½ hours prior to departure. Later 30 Minutes were added to the delay. However, as the delays were clearly announced they just extended my lounge stay in Saigon and shortened my lounge stay in KLIA. Onboard, special meals were accommodated, FAs are professional, and service is good. Only problems is that on shorter regional flights the Airline is “dry” – even in business class. Not even beer is served. Transfer in KLIA was tight but went smooth as the departing flight was the gate next to the one arrived to. The next flight equally good and arrived on time in PNH. Special meals and three hot meals were offered. Had seat 1C with a legspace that I impossibly could use up as I could not even reach/touch the galley in front of me. My luggage was comprehensive (2 big pieces plus hand-luggage but was ready on the belt after I passed immigration. Miles credited to my Qatar FFP within a week. Could have been rated 10/10 but I deduct a bit for delay and for lack of varieties of drinks onboard. In summary: well done Malaysia Airlines – you are a rising star!
RouteHo Chi Minh to Phnom Penh via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownNovember 2017

"a rather disappointing trip"

Verified Review | London to Perth via Kuala Lumpur, returning from Melbourne between June and August 2017. Booked because of very good price but eventually got what I paid for. London - Kuala Lumpur - Perth was a disaster to start with. Those days Malaysia Airlines were upgrading their systems and no online check-in was available, had to queue for roughly 2hrs 55 mins at Heathrow (try and imagine a queue for a packed A380) because 2 out 4 agents couldn't care less about the situation and decided to show up just 2 hrs prior to take-off. I mean, really? You know you are going to get massive queues, put more people to work for those 2/3 days of emergency. Obviously flight was delayed, roughly 80 mins - but arrived to KUL with just a 30 mins delay. Flight itself was less than remarkable. Food bland, entertaining system not brilliant, seats just OK and I didn't like the cabin crew's attitude as they all were rather uninterested and cold although not openly rude. One male member in particular acted like he was the owner of the airplane and was doing everybody a favor to be there. Transit in KUL was rather smooth and 737 to PER left on time. One of the bags didn't make it to our destination despite the connection being quite comfortable and received that with the following flight - lucky I had insurance to cover the emergency expenses. MEL-KUL on A330. No delays, same comments as above about food/cabin crew etc real problem for this flight was the state of the toilets. 3/4 hours into the flight they were filthy, smelly and just disgusting and no one cared to clean them. Been flying around the world and never seen something like that. KUL-LHR on A380 luckily enough I had booked preferred economy seats on the upper deck and the flight was smooth. Couldn't eat their food, I tried but it was just awful, but at least it departed on time, crew were better than what I had gotten until then and they managed not to misplace my bags. All in all a rather disappointing trip. Good if you want to save money but otherwise there are tons of better airlines out there.
AircraftA380, Boeing 737
RouteLondon to Perth via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownAugust 2017

"this was a terrible experience"

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Melbourne. This airline is probably the worst airline we have flown for few reasons. The plane itself was quite old. The crew members were rude and abrupt and could not care less about the passengers throughout the flight - an example is when we had sat in the wrong seats by pure accident, one of the flight attendants rudely exclaimed 'You are in her seat!'. She could have asked politely to check our boarding passes that we were in the correct seat or even said something like sorry but I think you may be in the wrong seats. We had no issues with changing the seats as it was an accident on our part but would have appreciated some politeness. After serving dinner and lights turned off for people to go to sleep, we did not see a single crew member for about 4-5 hours (this was an 8 hour flight). On other airlines on flights of this duration crew members walk down the aisles with glasses of water every hour or so which my family would have appreciated as we were quite thirsty. Toilets did not seem to be cleaned throughout the flight and were in a terrible state a couple of hours before landing. Headphones were taken off passengers 45 minutes before landing so in-flight entertainment could not be used which is an issue particularly when travelling with kids. I have never seen this occur with any other airline. Seats were small and uncomfortable. Overall, this was a terrible experience I would have been better off paying a little extra and travelling with a better airline. Never again!
RouteKuala Lumpur to Melbourne