Malaysia Airlines

"have to have a 8-9 hour wait"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Male via Colombo. After booking a vacation in September 2016 to Maldives, on April 6th my wife called to check our seating arrangements. The MH agent said our connecting flight to Male from Colombo was cancelled to our surprise, which meant we would have to have a 8-9 hour wait in Colombo. Knowing some friends were on this flight but book via Sri Lankan airlines, we checked with them, finding out the flight was not cancelled at all. Then we called Sri Lanka airlines and they also confirmed the flight was fine. So my wife initially called MH customer service spending 3-4 hours (3-4 calls) trying to sort out the problem. She was put on hold for hours only to be cut off. Many times they promised to call back, no call was ever returned. After her frustration, I called, similar responses, on hold for over 4 hours (4 calls), called hung up after being put on hold, promises made for returned call, etc. What was frustrating is that we told the agents clearly the flight was not cancelled, Why could they not escalate? On the date of our flight we went to the airport hoping possibly getting on our correct flight, but when we went to Sri Lankan airlines, they said they could not book us in. No only was our 2nd flight changed but we could not even get on the flight we booked on. After back and forth between the two airlines, MH put us back on the flight which we booked and had never changed anyway by reissuing the ticket. After arriving in Colombo, we realized that the mistake of our 2nd flight would not be resolved, and we had to wait 8-9 hours in the Colombo airport. Now to find out that our flight back to KL from Colombo was moved 1 day. We called long distance, only to have the same issues with the customer service staff. On hold, no answer, no return call, etc. The agents response was that they could not put us back on the same flight we booked, as the rates went up, amazing but we never changed the flight, MH did.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Male via Colombo
Date FlownApril 2017

"Very pleasant flight"

Verified Review | Perth to London via Kuala Lumpur. Very pleasant flight on both sectors. The cabin crew were very obliging and were very prompt when pressing the call button. The A380 is very spacious and much prefer the layout to the compartment design of other airlines. The layover in Kuala Lumpur is short and also gates are close to each other. Food was ok and drinks pretty good. Will definitely choose this airline for future trips to UK on the A380.
AircraftA330 / A380
RoutePerth to London via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownAugust 2017

"numerous pearls in the chain"

(Vietnam)

Verified Review | Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City return via Kuala Lumpur, a ticket bought for 166 USD for 8 hours net time travel which is a good deal for being with a legacy carrier. Boeing 737-800 aircraft. The trip was basically faultless and on time - only tainted by these few minor things: Only 2 hours check in time in PNH is not enough, they are constantly cutting this. Used to be 3 hours, them 2½ hours and now 2 hours. 4 check-in desks are not enough, as I came way early and wasted 30 minutes to check in – in the elite queue. Boarding cards could not be provided throughout – not even at check-in desk in PNH. Internet net check in is a joke – you sit and mingle and waste time again and again to come to the Salomonic reply: ”Please finalise check-in in Airport to have your BPs provided” No alcohol on board on any classes at any time. This is a crime against flyer buffs and a completely unnecessary mean of patronizing customers. If you want a beer you have to cling to the lounges. Food mediocre, but nice with a hot meal – it was quite filling. On the positive side there are numerous pearls in the chain: Luggage checked in throughout (even without the last Boarding Pass). Lounge in PNH is a pleasure, though showing a decline during the last 1 year: they use 3rd party lounge Plaza Premium – good, airy, and spacy. Drinks limited (no champagne, no beer apart from local draught beer, etc.). Bakery has become dormant. On board: Special meals accommodated to perfection. Drink round provided but only 1 on each of 4 two-hours flight is not enough. Go to the galley and you shall receive more drinks. Coffee served was absolutely top notch – Starbuck can go home! Check in good and luggage transferred throughout. The missing BP that they could not issue in PNH was issued in 10 seconds (!) when I came to the desk in KUL. Mileage granted even for this low fare. Lounge in KUL perfect for an Emerald flyer. I stayed overnight in their premises. Staff onboard were all very friendly, energetic, and tolerated that I consumed my own drink purchased in airport – at times I buy supplies, as I know about the MH drinking (saving cost?) fear. IFE onboard is a joke: no hearing device, no screens opened, so absent in economy. Old, worn aircraft, however, the seats in are soft and spacious and table trays had been rehabilitated and were firm and good. I could stretch out my legs completely in row no. 5 (the first one after business class). They kept middle seats free (as much as possible) in the 3x3 configuration. A pleasurable journey and I will gladly take the trouble again diverting my travels through KUL – at least as long I am elite flyer in Oneworld (at Qatar) and they have these incredible bargains. Toilets were clean – it helps that they virtually prevent people from drinking by extremely limited choice of drinks using small paper mugs. However, I assume that I have become addicted to this airline in my attempts to revive it. Helped by the discounts campaigns I take the troubles extending my time. Of course my Oneworld elite status helps a lot to make my travels smooth. But having travelled on MH for years I have never missed a flight or lost a suitcase.
RoutePhnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh via KUL
Date FlownAugust 2017

"very slow to refund money"

Verified Review | Darwin to London via Kuala Lumpur. We had the first leg of our flight from Darwin cancelled without any explanation or follow up, so we asked for a refund. 9 weeks later and numerous phone calls and emails, we are still waiting. Very quick to take our money for the booking but very slow to refund money for a flight they cancelled! Very poor PR Malaysia Airlines!
RouteDarwin to London via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Seats were clean with a leather covering"

Verified Review | I was pleasantly surprised with this Malaysia Airlines flight from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur. A late inbound arrival was soon amended to a virtually on time departure with an on time arrival into KUL T1. The plane was 65% full so plenty of space at the back. Seats were clean with a leather covering. I watched The Sound Of Music on the IFE and the crew let me keep the headphones so I watched it to shutdown. The food was bland (I chose the fish on rice (3 tiny morsels) and no alcohol due to the flight being under 2 hours. Easy disembarkation at KL1a and easy immigration at less than 10 minutes.
RouteBangkok to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownAugust 2017

"warmly greeted by the cabin crew"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | It is a red eye flight from Perth to Kuala Lumpur departing at 2.20am! Check in is open about 3 hours before and it was bliss. Qantas lounge is offered, it is basic but still quite nice, shower facilities are impressive, food offering average. Boarding is orderly and I was warmly greeted by the cabin crew. For maximum comfort, try to choose the "throne" seat if possible, 1K, 4K or 6K, offering exceptional personal space and storage. A "Breakfast" of 3 choices were offered after take off, although of course you may choose to sleep a bit first and eat a bit later. Being only 5:30 hours long, it is hard to choose between dine now and sleep later or the opposite. Crew were very hard working and present. I only managed a shut-eye for an hour, and stayed up most of the time. Crew offered me array of hot drinks and snacks. I was quite impressed by the service and food quality on board. The nasi lemak I chose was surprisingly authentic and delicious, considered it's made in Perth.
RoutePerth to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownAugust 2017

"company has gone down hill"

Verified Review | The flight from Kuala Lumpur to London had incompetent and lazy staff who were not interested in customers. They just did their bit and no more, the seats were shabby with broken IFE handset, foot locker broken. I used the book the cook. It was awful so I asked for something else only to be told there was only a pack of nuts left and no other food of any sort. There used to be a place close to the stairs (on the top deck) where you could help yourself to soft drinks, snacks and a magazine. Not now, nothing there, empty. When I fly Thai or Singapore Airlines on a long haul the staff are constantly coming round with water or a juice. Not Malaysia Airlines, not once did a member of staff walk through the business class aisle to ask or serve anyone. I fly quite a lot to South East Asia and many times with MH but this was the last time, the company has gone down hill fast. Their customer services are slow to answer emails if at all. My luggage was damaged in transit and they have admitted liability (I have email verification from their claims dept). They offered me a renumeration package which I accepted but I have yet to receive it.
RouteKuala Lumpur to London
Date FlownApril 2017

"the crew were wonderful "

Verified Review | Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur. Very efficient check in at Melbourne Airport 3 hours prior to departure and informed MAS Lounge is closed for renovation and invited to use Qantas Business Class lounge. After clearing security and passport control went to the lounge which was really below the normal Qantas standard. No food on offer until an hour after I had arrived. Very little to eat though the self-service bar was open. Boarding called and a designated Business Class boarding lane. Seat 2A next to the window. Juice or water offered prior to take-off but no champagne! After take off the drinks trolley appeared and ordered a gin and tonic. On the downside there were no menus for food and drink offered but the standard satay trolley was next and they were wonderful. Following that orders were taken for lunch but still no menu. I ordered the Beef Rendang which was excellent and some ice-cream which came in plastic tub. No cheese and biscuits with a post lunch wine was offered. Movie selection was just ok but had to use the touchscreen as the remote on my seat wasn't working so had a feeling there were a lot more movies in the system but hard to get to them. Snacks were chips or biscuits and an extra ice-cream if you wanted. Prior to landing was offered a Lamb Pie which was very good and another glass of the excellent white wine. Overall a pleasant but not outstanding flight but I give full credit to the crew who were wonderful and the seat which was very comfortable. Just bring back a menu and wine list and cheese and biscuits after a nice meal!! Landed ahead of time and breezed through immigration and customs and then the KL Express into Kuala Lumpur. For the cost of the return Business Class ticket vs Singapore Airlines et al it was well worth it!
AircraftA330-200
RouteMelbourne to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownAugust 2017

"One hour late departing, no apologies"

Verified Review | Flew Kuala Lumpur to Sydney. One hour late departing, no apologies. Two of the toilets were out or order, very long queues to use the one at the rear of the aircraft. Food was awful. Check in was awful. I had to ask six times for my preferred seat. I know it was a night flight but that should not excuse the lack of response when I press the call button. However in 18 flights with Malaysia Airlines this is the only bad one.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Sydney
Date FlownAugust 2017

"I was extremely uncomfortable"

Verified Review | Colombo to Kuala Lumpur. This is my second flight with Malaysia Airlines, the first was great and I was very comfortable on board. However, the service I encountered during my second flight (before I boarded the airplane) was terrible. I checked in online and received my boarding pass sent to my email. I was confused about whether this boarding pass would let me on the plane or if I needed to go to the checkin counter, but the security officer checking tickets and IDs said my ticket was okay. The immigration officer also confirmed that my ticket was okay, but pointed me to information if I had questions. After a lot of calls, information got in touch with a Malaysia Airlines representative who said they would give me a different ticket at the gate, but information said they weren't sure if the boarding pass on my phone was acceptable or not. Then I went through another security check with the boarding pass on my phone. I arrive at the gate and a kind flight attendant scans the boarding pass on my phone and I thought everything was fine. But then a male representative for Malaysia Airlines brought me the tickets and yelled at me about why I used the boarding pass on my phone and how it was possible that I got through all the security. At this point, everyone at the gate was watching and I was extremely uncomfortable. He then informed me that none of this was his fault and yelled at me more about how much I inconvenienced the staff. I made an honest mistake and I apologized to him, but I am shocked that an airline employee would yell at a passenger in such a manner. I am also disappointed that it took so long to determine whether the boarding pass on my phone was acceptable. Looking back on the email I received from the airline with my boarding deal my pass, there is conflicting and unclear information, but I also should have called the airline before to clarify. I felt extremely uncomfortable and nervous after this employee left because I was worried I would encounter him again on the plane.
RouteColombo to Kuala Lumpur