Etihad Airways Passenger Reviews and Etihad Airways Customer Trip Reports

Not Rated

Airline not Rated

Etihad Airways
3.0 Star Rating: Fair

Etihad Airways Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Salman Khan    (UAE)

I flew LHR-AUH-LHE, the flight from LHR to AUH was ok, the food was fine and the entertainment was fine too, however, the flight from AUH to LHE was awful, we were made to sit in the plane for two hours while the passengers from connecting flight boarded the plane. There was no choice in meal, rice with chicken, there were three pieces of chicken in the whole meal and the desert was a small chocolate bar! I fly Emirates usually and made the mistake of taking Etihad, not again.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  14 October 2014 by P Gebara    (UAE)

Am a frequent traveller on both Etihad and Emirates, and Etihad are way ahead in service, friendliness, tasty food, and making the experience memorable compared to Emirates, which has become stale, rude, poor tasting food, and nothing special. Flight from Dusseldorf to Abu Dhabi (Business Class) - A330. Check-in in Dusseldorf was smooth and straight-forward. No Etihad lounge, but can use Air Berlin (not very good lounge). Toilets small, dirty and shared between a number of airlines. Boarded flight, but departure was delayed slightly. Must commend Etihad staff, as the flight was superb - excellent food, excellent service, attentive and friendly. Seat comfortable, but prefer the window seat as it offers more privacy than the aisle seat. I have now travelled with Etihad 8-10 times this year, and their standard has certainly improved and continues to do so. Well done. The only comment I would say is that the inflight entertainment, although was good on this flight, it was not very good on the outward and previous flights.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  13 October 2014 by A Genders    (Australia)

Flew business class, Sydney to Abu Dhabi. Couldn't fault the experience. Flew cattle class Abu Dhabi to Sydney and couldn't find anything good to say about the experience apart from the fact we actually made it back. Food appalling, service almost as bad. My review is based on the economy class flight.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  13 October 2014 by C Ros    (Australia)

Flew return Melbourne to London. This was my first Etihad experience and was unsure after reading some reviews but was pleasantly surprised at the efficiency. Only a slight delay on my return flight but I didn't mind because it decreased my stopover in Abu Dhabi. Quick and efficient check-in, friendly staff. Having always flown Qantas or SIA, I decided to give Etihad ago and would definitely travel with them again. I consider myself a low maintenance passenger so rarely ask the cabin crew for anything but did notice that they were not particularly friendly or helpful to other passengers. I rarely eat on a plane and so can't really comment on the food but it looked like usual plane fayre.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  13 October 2014 by S Majid    (Malaysia)

We flew KUL-AUH-ZRH that was operated by Etihad and the service was good. Coming back via ZRH-DUS-AUH-KUL was complete hell because we had to use Air Berlin and Jet Airways. Paying full-frill fare with 1/3 journey by full- frill airline and 2/3 journey using budget airlines means Etihad has brought air travel to a new level of mockery.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  13 October 2014 by McDonell Kate    (Australia)

SYD-LHR early September 2014 and return early October First Class. What a waste of money. We had travelled twice before with this airline to Europe in Business class and once in First Class but never again. The food, service, airport lounges and entertainment were very second rate. Their first class boasts that they have an in-flight chef, but he does nothing other than heat and supply the food already mentioned in the menu. Nothing special and what meals we did have were almost inedible - although we had particularly requested seafood, the only seafood was baked salmon. Years ago, lobster tails, but no more. The staff were very pleasant. The seats that turned into beds were not as comfortable as we had in Business and the noise from the aircraft was so bad that we ended up trying to sleep with noise cancelling head phones on. One entertainment unit did not work properly and had very little choice for any TV or movies programs. The staff could not fix it. Also the selection left a lot to be desired, as it seemed to cater well for children but not adults. When you have a 14 and 9 hour flight you need a good selection. The first class lounges in both Sydney, Abu Dhabi and London were all shared with Business and all were every full. We were advised at the time that the First Class lounges were being 'renovated' - and in both London and Abu Dhabi the queue for the ladies was very long. So much for the extra attention and privileges we should have been accorded with the extra money paid for First Class - non-existent. How this airline gets to be the so-called "Worlds Leading Airline" beggars belief.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  6 October 2014 by R Young    (Australia)

BNE-SIN in Business was very polished. The crew were attentive and friendly, the wine of high quality and generous. The food was very good. A330 cabin was comfortable and the flight went quickly. Departed and arrived on time, bags waiting for us and the limousine pick up was an added extra. Flight home was overnight and not nearly as good, including the food which was plentiful but bland. Decided not to eat and slept comfortably on the flat bed instead. Overall for my first flights with Etihad I was impressed.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  2 October 2014 by Bourne Denzil    (UK)

AUH-LHR on B777. I was asked by the cabin crew to change my aisle seat to a middle, exit row sea with another pax. Wish I hadn't. The exit row seats, while offering leg room are very narrow. The snack pack offered on the early EY11 departure was sufficient just before sleeping. The pre-landing breakfast was OK. It was a shame one isn't able to use the great IFE gate to gate.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Rose Penhale    (Canada)

EY141 to Toronto - Sept 23, 2014. Flight attendant ignored me (seated by window) a few times as they brought snacks and drinks to the two men beside me. I had to speak up and do a hand signal for them to attend to me. The light call for an attendant was ignored for over an hour that I had to flick the switch on and off after that to even get their attention as I was just too parched and finally when they showed up I had to asked for 2 full glasses of water. It was pretty slow service all along. Even retrieval of food trays took ages. The meals were unappealing compared with other airlines I've flown with previously - and 2x they did not give me an choice but just gave me whatever. I do not know why and at this point I could not care - as I feel I have a better choice of airlines in the future.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  20 September 2014 by B Tunnicliffe    (Australia)

August 8th 2014, left Brisbane for Manchester. Our first leg of the flight to Singapore was very uncomfortable, seats too narrow and hard and when the person in front of me decided to recline well that was it, I knew we were in for a very long flight. It was the same again from Singapore to Abu Dhabi, the food was not much better, attendants were very good. The last leg did improve from Abu Dhabi to Manchester as it was a bigger plane. Will not use them again.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  18 September 2014 by A Althani    (Qatar)

Upgraded from business to first class, I wish they had not. I have a problematic lower back - the First Class suite is very private but the seat gave very little lower back support and for me the business class seat is more comfortable. The staff on board were very attentive and helpful, the Chef came and saw I was not interested in the meal options, so he offered to make me a Teryiaki Chicken which was delicious, although the Pumpkin Soup was lacking in both consistency and taste. The cooler wasn't working on the personal mini bar and those two drinks were undrinkable. The entertainment system was good - it had a few nice classics and also a very good selection on new releases . We arrived with a ten minute delay into Abu Dhabi from Paris CDG but my connecting flight into Doha was delayed by an hour because a few passengers checked in their luggage but did not make the flight. Etihad has excellent on board service, but airport services, baggage handling and crisis management really let their passengers down!

Etihad Airways Customer review :  18 September 2014 by A Newton    (UK)

LHR-AUH-BKK-AUH-LHR. I'm realistic about what to expect in Economy, I'm a budget student traveller after all, but the service was so indifferent on all legs of the journey. All flights were delayed by at least 2 hours, luckily they all had a large amount of connecting passengers, so the following flights were held for us. Food was terrible, I've had a lot better in economy on Qatar and Emirates. Cabin crew were ok, nothing more, nothing less, no one smiled, no one cared, never really experienced such indifferent service from crew on any airline. Last time I flew Etihad was in 2010 on the same route, and they were great, they seem to off fallen hard. I'll stick to my trusted Qatar next time.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Matthew McGrath    (UK)

LHR-AUH-SYD return. Just returned from a trip to Australia. The chauffeur pick up worked well and the lounge at T4 was very good. Staff very attentive. On A340 on both outbound legs and food and wine of good quality. On the way out visited the crowded lounge in Abu Dhabi but managed to have a shower and the staff helped find me a place to sit. Inbound, first leg on code share Virgin Australia. Etihad seats far superior as every seat has an aisle access. On the Virgin flight (777) I had a window seat and had to climb over the passenger next to me when he was sleeping. Pleasantly surprised to find the new premium lounge was opened in Abu Dhabi on the return leg. Staff very welcoming and lounge at least 3 times the size of the old one. Food and wine again good on return legs. My only criticism is that the entertainment on offer is nowhere near what it is on Emirates or Qantas.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  18 September 2014 by F Weeren    (Oman)

Flew (August 24) MCT-AUH-GVA. A320 plane supplied for the MCT-AUH flight was tired, filthy and should not be in service without a complete cabin redecoration. Seats were stained, carpets filthy and the seat pitch was best designed for circus midgets. We were delayed 30 minutes at MCT with absolutely no explanation in English, perhaps one was given in Arabic. In AUH, I hurried to my next gate for the AUH-GVA leg of the journey, I made the plane, which pleased me. The A330 was noticeably cleaner, although the seat pitch was still better designed for research monkeys than human beings. After being rushed on board, we sat for quite a while until someone from the flight deck finally explained that there had been an oil spill on the airport and that we would be sitting another two hours at the gate until the runway was open again. Being a sound and reasonable man, I understood why passengers could not be let off the aircraft again. Water and paper "hot towels" were their only attempt at service in 150 minutes? Their first step should have been prompt announcements in both Arabic and English explaining what was happening, then informing us that we would be served beverages and that the inflight entertainment system would be turned on. Food served was a joke on this flight - first a snack (late night flight) consisting of awful sandwich rollups, with the advice that we would have a "full breakfast" an hour before landing in GVA. The full breakfast was tired and ridiculous - nothing approaching a full breakfast anywhere. Upon arrival at GVA, I was one of about a half dozen passengers whose baggage hadn't "made the flight" despite 150 minutes extra time at the gate. It took three days to get my bag to me. Now let's turn to the return trip, flown two days ago from ZRH-AUH-MCT. In ZRH, we were boarded promptly and the aircraft, another A330, was cleaner than the A330 from AUH-GVA. That sort of tells me that you need to better supervise or replace your cleaning staff at AUH, your home airport. The flight was not full, so there was room to spread out, which many passengers did immediately after "boarding completed" was announced. We pushed back with Swiss precision on the dot. Food served was delicious, plentiful, catered by Swissport/LSG. In AUH, I made my way to my departure gate in another Terminal, weaving through what have got to be some of the longest walks in any airport anywhere. Luckily, here and there were moving sidewalks, although these were usually clogged, so I was actually worried I would miss my connection in the relatively short transfer time allotted by Etihad of only 70 minutes between flights. I needn't have been worried. After reaching the gate, it was again a story of sit sit sit. No explanation. No communication from the airline. Suddenly, almost an hour late, we were rushed onto the bus to the aircraft. The air conditioning was not on. After 10 minutes of waiting, there was a terrific lurch and air conditioning came on. On the (same) plane, familiar conditions - filthy, tired upholstery, dirty carpets, ridiculous seat pitch. And again we sat. This time, however, the captain communicated with us in excellent English. He didn't provide any explanation for the delay, but at least gave us accurate estimates of when we would actually take off. And he apologized, which surely must have been regarded as unusual by the crew, as they seemed shocked when he did so. The only silver lining in this very cloudy tale? This time the delay must have been enough time for my luggage to make the flight.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  15 September 2014 by James Ross    (Australia)

I travel at least four times a month with my business around the world and I was excited and also nervous after reading the reviews of prior guests in using Ethiad. The route was Perth to Manchester with the normal stop over. Well what I can say is that the below reviews are spot on. The seat is far too narrow, I'm 6ft and weigh 84kgs and I struggled in the seat, compared to the other major airlines very disappointing. The meals were ok but again I've had better economy food, the soup was running down the side, the fish was well over done etc however the breakfast into Manchester was good. I will not be using this airline again for the money paid I wish I had stuck to the normal trusted airlines that deliver.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  15 September 2014 by S Kumar    (Australia)

I flew Etihad for the first time this August because I found an incredibly cheap fare. I flew 4 sectors and I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with the overall service standards. The aircraft's were clean and everything worked well. Most importantly the toilets were clean on most sectors. Very disappointing that passengers dirtied and water clogged toilets on the Istanbul - Abu Dhabi sector. The IFE was adequate even though I found it repetitive during the 3 week period. I feel the content should be changed every 15 days. I had ordered special meals, AVML and was served on all 4 legs. However I also found that the person in charge of menu planning needs to look at a little change. On all 4 legs I was given Green lentils in the salad. I am sure a little more variety will not cost anymore. On one leg I had a Green lentil salad and a yellow lentil dhal curry, so two lentil items in one meal. On the AUH-MEL sector the flight took off 2 hours late. The boarding commenced late and were kept seated in the aircraft for over an hour. Were advised due to congestion. Still a 2 hour delay is unacceptable without a good reason. We arrived at least 1 hour late in Melbourne. If the fare is reasonable I will fly Etihad again.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  15 September 2014 by G Seymour    (Australia)

Flew Brisbane-Singapore-Brisbane. Hard uncomfortable seats, freezing air conditioning, inflight entertainment not working on return leg, couldn't turn it off! My first flight ever was delayed over an hour, waiting for it to come from Abu Dhabi. Was supposed to be contacted for an apology of sorts, nothing. Back to Qantas I go.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  10 September 2014 by Janet D Hansen    (UAE)

Took the Jet Airways operated by Etihad Airways flight from JFK on Sept 5th Business Class. Was told that the flight would be just like an Etihad Flight. No such luck. The layout of the seats in Business Class is completely different. Privacy of the seats is less and the middle seats cannot be combined like the normal Etihad cabin layout. Next the menu - All the entrees and appetizers were Indian. The ice cream which they served from the all day dining was quite inferior. No steak or sandwich choices like the flight to the USA a couple of months earlier. No Wifi on the plane as an option either. Choice of videos does not seem to be quite as extensive but not sure on this.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  10 September 2014 by E Albasini    (UK)

LHR to Abu Dhabi. Thurs 14 August, EY 12. Abu Dhabi to LHR, Thurs 28 August, EY 17. Check-in at LHR was fast and efficient, flight left 1 hour late (approx), female flight attendants were sullen and any normal request eg asking for a glass of water was met with a disapproving look. Service was slow, food ok although the cafeteria service was advertised as a choice of sandwiches we were just given 1 which was almost thrown on to our trays. The return flight was completely different service was efficient and with a smile and any request answered in a professional manner.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  10 September 2014 by Malik Qadeer    (USA)

On July 1 2014, travelled with family from JFK to Islamabad Via Abu Dhabi. At JFK there were long lines to check in. Luckily our sky cap was able to get us checked in right away. We had checked in online night before, but it did not matter. Flight was full. Food was mediocre. However, during the flight cabin crew were pretty good in service. This airline needs to improve quality of food if it is to compete with Qatar and Emirates.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  10 September 2014 by H Peter    (Australia)

MEL-AUH, GVA-AUH-MEL. Im 6.3 and found the seat right on the cusp of being too small so if you are 6.4 you'll have to bend your legs a little and may find it a little cramped. I travelled with my wife and for the long 14 hour trip we had the middle buddy seats and we really enjoyed it, with the divider down of course. The shorter flight I had a window seat and found it to have slightly more leg room than the middle seats. I'm around the 90kg, medium build mark. All the seats were comfortable. The pillows were proper pillows and the blankets very comfortable. Amenity pack also provided. Throughout the entire journey, all staff were friendly and helpful, whether it be at check in, aircraft or the lounge. I do believe Etihad are in the process of having dedicated lounges which will also add to the whole experience. The Melbourne lounge is shared with several other airlines and not the greatest but its quiet and offers the basics. Abu Dhabi lounge is to small but for an hour stop over was adequate and had a large variety of food and drink on offer. Meals were very good and having the anytime menu is also a plus. Inflight entertainment was excellent. I would have liked noise cancelling headphones as is offered with some other airlines in business class but they were nevertheless comfortable. Aircraft were in excellent condition and pretty close to brand new. So overall a very good experience and wouldn't have a problem booking with them again.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  10 September 2014 by Kaushik Vemareddy    (USA)

EY 285, Aug 29th. EY 131, Aug 30th. Flew IAD-AUH-BLR round trip in Economy. 3 out of the 4 segments were delayed, two were delayed for more than an hour. Had air conditioner issues for nearly 30 minutes on IAD-AUH segment. No reasoning for delays, no proper announcements. No liquids service before the meals, IFE is just ok. AUH doesn't have great transit facilities either, overall would refer this airline only if the fares are way below the other carriers.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  10 September 2014 by S King    (UK)

Kathmandu-Abu Dhabi-Manchester. Excellent flight with very good attendants and range of food. IFE could be better, difficult to use and limited music choice. The lounge at Abu Dhabi was pretty full when we arrived in the evening as this was peak 'hub' time for Etihad and we had a long layover between connecting flights so not as quiet as anticipated.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  7 September 2014 by K Seweryn    (Japan)

Tokyo - Abu Dhabi and back on A330 in business for 2 adults and 2 children (4,6 years). Both flights on time. Flight from Tokyo with (much) better food than from Abu Dhabi (requested child meal was not available from Abu Dhabi, also normal/Japanese food was much tastier, delicious orange juice from Tokyo). Service hit and miss, on one side of plane nice, on another not so much. Flying nanny was very good with entertaining my children. Seats nice, but too narrow, especially on seats "outside" when you get bumped frequently. No much new movies in entertainment system. Overall nice flights but inconsistent.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  7 September 2014 by B OSullivan    (Australia)

Flight from Brisbane to Dublin via Melbourne Abu Dhabi, Return CDG, Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Brisbane. I have been a loyal Gold Member supporter of Etihad for many years, and written many positive reviews so I guess it was only a matter of time before a negative one would take place! Traveled with Etihad Gold Guest, Brisbane - Melb code shared with Virgin Australia. Check in easy at Brisbane, lounge quite good (maybe 5.5 out of 10) and no glaringly obvious issues. Melbourne - Abu Dhabi upgraded to business class. (8 out of 10), good service. However business class beds really not as big or comfortable as represented in advertising (I am 6ft1). Abu Dhabi to Dublin - average - 6 out of 10. Arrived Dublin and luggage not there. Farcical is a polite way of describing what happened next. Assured it would be on next flight ex Abu Dhabi. All problems were blamed on Aer Lingus. Went to service desk at Dublin airport prior to leaving. Left Dublin for France a week later with still no luggage. Two weeks later return flight to Brisbane. Check in at (CDG Paris). Business / Gold member lounge excellent (10 out of 10). Flight CDG to Abu Dhabi, (freezing cold), IFE Good, meal service amateur at the most and they ran out of meals. (2 out of 10). Abu Dhabi airport on return trip a total complete and utter shambles. Completely out grown what it was designed for. Flight one hour late, and using the same excuse that has been used for my past 7 flights. Arrive Singapore - excellent - good staff who want to do their jobs. In round and out quickly and professionally. Flight Singapore - Brisbane (4 out of 10). Staff appeared disinterested, not enough drink runs (water), staff very busy chatting amongst themselves at the back of plane. Time for Etihad to really pull their finger out and improve to regain the quality airline they once were.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  7 September 2014 by M Vir    (Australia)

SIN to BNE in October 2013. Check-in was pretty uneventful. As for the flight itself, I did not expect to have my economy seat to feel so cramped. Maybe because of the dark brown color scheme that it felt so cramped. Also, that distinct Middle Eastern aircraft smell made my allergies act up throughout the flight. I wasn't able to enjoy the inflight entertainment because of my allergic condition. The meals were ok but nothing spectacular. Overall, pretty much an average airline for economy class despite all the hoopla and press releases about it.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Weerasinghe Wickrama    (UK)

Travelled for the first time on Etihad flying from LHR via ABU to Colombo, Sri Lanka. Check-in at Heathrow was excellent. Had 8 hours layover in Abu Dhabi. Got upgraded on the Abu Dhabi - Colombo leg. Service onboard was OK, nothing to complain. Staff were polite. Even Business class staff were just OK. Coming back got upgraded again on the Colombo-Abu Dhabi leg, excellent Cabin staff. Very nice and polite staff and very attentive. Abu Dhabi - LHR flight was delayed by 1 hour. Not much explanation from the Captain. Staff were not so polite, service average on this flight. They left the menu card when passengers were sleeping and when passengers asked (including us) what was for Breakfast they said look in the menu and all of us were looking for this menu. One passenger found it and handed it over to about 5 others. I thought this was very rude, wouldn't hurt them to say what was for breakfast since there were only two options. Overall flight was cheap and good - will recommend and travel again.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  2 September 2014 by S Zuiderduin    (New Zealand)

Okay service onboard with an ok selection of entertainment. Although the IFE starts well after taking off and gets taken away almost an hour before landing! Food was mediocre at best and very bland. There also seems to be a problem at Abu Dhabi airport (which is Etihad's home base) with luggage handling. Items get lost a lot, ours included although we were one of the lucky ones whose bag was located and returned even if on the return journey. Customer service is shocking. Will never fly them again given the choice. Flight was also delayed for almost an hour leaving Abu Dhabi without explanation.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  2 September 2014 by M Siddiqui    (USA)

Recently flew business class from NY to Abu Dhabi For the amount of money I paid I would expect staff to treat passengers with respect, they were very inattentive and frankly even rude to the business class customers. I fly to the Middle East on a regular basis and I have never experienced such inhospitable staff. The cabin temperature was far too cold and everyone was wrapped up in blankets. My food service was poor and the flight attendant kept bringing me the wrong order. When politely asked to change the temperature of the cabin or bring me the correct order, the flight attendants gave inadequate responses. My inflight entertainment experience was also poor since they brought me damaged headphones and when I asked for a replacement they gave me cheap economy class headphones. Overall the ground staff and the onboard service was rude.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  29 August 2014 by C Povey    (South Africa)

Shocking. Delayed departure flight, missed connecting flight as a result and technical problems on return flight causing hot cabin for almost an hour on tarmac in Abu Dhabi with no air-conditioning. Bad entertainment. I have never heard a pilot apologise as many times before for inconveniences - at least 15 times. Baggage lost as well.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  29 August 2014 by O Soliman    (UK)

LHR-AUH-SYD return in Pearl Business. First impressions mixed. I was trying to secure a single window seat throughout the journey but I kept receiving error messages on their website. I had to call their call centre multiple times to get this sorted. Chauffeur service in London was great. Check-in was smooth and staff provide you with Express cards for security and immigration. I saw that I was assigned a new seat and when I questioned this I was informed that there was an aircraft change but that I still had a window seat. Our planned B77W was substituted for with the A346 (F1 livery) in old Business Class configuration. The inbound flight from AUH was delayed over an hour but the Etihad Lounge at T4 was excellent with great food and very friendly staff. Upon boarding, a steward approached me and asked if I would like to change my seat with a mother and her kid, since I had a bulkhead seat (11A). I asked where the new seat would be and was told it would be a middle seat. I politely declined, but he kept insisting. Following a lengthy argument, he finally decided to leave me alone, but whenever I encountered him later on in the flight he gave me nasty looks. The old Business Class seat was ok, not too comfortable and quite narrow (and probably not suitable at all for tall passengers). Once in the air, service commenced and I was fortunate to have a lovely English lady serving my row who provided excellent service. Food was excellent and offered in generous quantities. Abu Dhabi airport is absolute mayhem. The walk from the gate to security was too long, and it wasn't quite clear while standing in the security line that premium passengers enjoyed a separate lane. Once cleared, I asked a member of Etihad staff for the whereabouts of the smoking lounge and she sent me on a goose chase to a closed lounge which was 10 minutes walking distance. When I came back, I informed her that the lounge no longer existed and then proceeded to the Business Class lounge (which ironically had it's own smoking lounge). The lounge was excellent and there were tons of food options available but really very limited seating. The flight to Sydney was on a B77W with the new Business Class configuration, which was a marked improvement. Seat was bigger and wider and quite comfortable, but you can't help but regularly bump your legs into the tray, which is a design fault. Once again, flight was late to depart but service was top notch and all meals of outstanding quality. On the return flight, I had the pleasure of experiencing the Etihad Lounge in Sydney, one of the best I have ever been to, with superb staff and a la carte dining. Flights to AUH and LHR both departed and arrived late. Overall, Etihad is a great airline. They have some things to iron out (buggy website, all my flights were delayed, lounge in Abu Dhabi, etc.) but I would definitely fly them again.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  27 August 2014 by Annette Marks    (Australia)

We recently flew business class Brisbane-Singapore-Abu Dhabi-Brussels and return Paris-Abu Dhabi-Singapore- Brisbane. I am a coeliac so ordered gluten free meals. The standard of the meals can only be described as very poor and inedible in some cases. My husband's meals were also very ordinary. We have both had far better meals in economy on other carriers! The service from the flight attendants was also very mediocre with requests for tea/coffee going unanswered. There was little recognition of business class with priority boarding etc. When you pay extra I think it is reasonable to assume you would expect extra. We were bussed for what seemed miles in 40 plus degree heat to our plane in Abu Dhabi and were late leaving with no explanation. This resulted in us being late for the remainder of the journey. Two pluses I can mention are the bed configuration and the new lounge at Charles de Gaulle Airport.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  27 August 2014 by S Paranandi    (USA)

EY 170, LAX-AUH, 5 Aug 2014 and EY 274, AUH-HYD, 7-Aug 2014. We recently flew from LAX to HYD and back with a stop-over in Abu Dhabi. Our nightmare started from LAX, EY 170 was delayed over 2 hrs and we missed the EY 274 AUH-HYD. Monitors on EY 170 gave incorrect information that EY 274 was also delayed by about 2 hrs. Upon arrival at AUH, we were told by Etihad staff that EY 274 had departed and we had to stay overnight to catch the next flight in 12 hrs. Waited in line for over 90 mins. to get processed to the hotel etc. When angry passengers asked about this, the ground staff said the on-board monitor information was incorrect - no apologies offered. Repeat of above on the return flight EY 275, HYD-AUH on August 18, again delayed take-off at HYD and missed connection at AUH. This time we literally ran to the LAX EY 171 gate as the AUH airport monitors showed EY 171 "boarding soon", but about half-way to the gate, were told by an Agent that EY 171 had taken off. Again stayed overnight to take EY 171 the next day (August 19). Economy class seats hard, uncomfortable and "sliding seats" not recliners, flight attendants unfriendly, drinks first offered about 14 hrs. into the AUH-HYD flight! Meals sub-standard/small portions. Overall, terrible experience with Etihad which started LAX-AUH service in June, poor on-time performance, disorganized ground staff, poor in-flight service and callous attitude.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  27 August 2014 by Paul Chacko    (USA)

Our saga started on Aug 18th from Cochin Airport. Abu Dhabi bound flight (EY281) was scheduled to depart at 4.25am. The Boarding Pass said Gate 2 but the electronic display in the airport was showing Gate 6. ETD remained 4.25am until around 4.15am and that's when the announcement came: EY 281 was delayed until 6am because the inbound flight was delayed. As we waited, the next announcement came at around 5.30 with a new ETD which is 6.30am. We approached the Etihad desk and they promised the connection flights would wait for us. Our EY 281 flight finally took off around 7.07am and touched down at Abu Dhabi airport at 9.47am. The (cold and stale) breakfast was served 2 hours after departure. When we landed in Abu Dhabi, connection flights to various destinations had already gone. There were agents at the airport who directed us to the Transfer Desk. An Etihad agent approached the NY bound passengers and told us there was a flight leaving to NY in 2 hours and there were seats available. 20-25 passengers whizzed out to the gate the agent directed but when we got there, the gate was already closed. We turned around frustrated and came back to the Transfer Desk. Cries from 20-25 passengers were ignored. We had to wait another 2 plus hours before we could talk to the ticket agent. He found seats for us on a flight 14 hours later but to our surprise, they could not provide us with accommodation. After about 20 minutes of pleading they agreed to give us rooms outside the airport so we were transferred to a limo waiting area. We waited there for about 40 minutes and got transferred to a hotel. Eventually, the 2.10am flight took off at 3.40am. They started to serve the meal about an hour later, but to my dismay, turbulence started and the pilot ordered the cabin crew to return to their seats. It took another 30-40 minutes before they resumed the food service. We finally landed the 8.55am flight in NY at 9.07am. I waited for about an hour but there was no sign of my luggage.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  27 August 2014 by A Faccioni    (Australia)

Sydney to Abu Dhabi - August 14th, Flight 455. Abu Dhabi - Istanbul - August 15th, Flight 97. We paid $8000 for a business class trip to Europe from Australia. 2nd leg on the way over we were downgraded to economy with no warning, no explanation (until we complained) and a totally inadequate $200 "bribe" to shut us up. Add to this a 1 hour delay taking off, several staff not caring at all of our inconvenience, a broken AV system in my economy seat and I am sure you can guess that I would never recommend this airline ever again.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  21 August 2014 by C Bellman    (Bahrain)

Aug 14-17, BAH-AUH-CMN / CMN-AUH-BAH. Etihad markets itself as a 'leading' airline of the world. I must say they fall well short of such grandiose marketing. Cabin crew are cold, unhelpful, and frankly have an attitude in dealing with pax. Abu Dhabi airport ground staff are totally overwhelmed and unable to effectively manage the transit pax arriving at AUH everyday. One need only look as far as Etihad's abysmal on-time performance statistics for testament to how poorly the logistics are run. Aircraft are generally outfitted well, although IFE is second rate, but this does not go very far for pax experience when complemented by the horrible service on board.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  19 August 2014 by Ndaba Simamile    (South Africa)

I flew Etihad Airways flight 601 from Johannesburg to Abu Dhabi on 30 July 2014. The cabin crew on this flight was exceptional. They turned up the cabin temperature when asked and they were very friendly. The seats were the most comfortable I've sat in in economy class, however this plane dud not have power points as expected. Departure was more than an hour later than expected. The connecting from Abu Dhabi to Rome was on flight 83: departure was late and complimentary grooming kits were not provided. It was on this flight that I realized that Etihad does not pay any attention to detail. The return leg of our trip was on flight 84 from Rome to Abu Dhabi on 9 August 2014. Departure was more than an hour late. The cabin crew was as cold as the cabin pressure which was freezing despite numerous requests from "guests" to turn up the temperature. This is unforgivable. I have never been so cold on a flight. We connected in Abu Dhabi to Johannesburg on flight 602. This flight had power points but was also more than an hour late. 45 minutes due to the airline and 30 minutes due to a customer. The cabin crew on this flight were helpful and efficient.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  19 August 2014 by Banigallapati Giridhar    (USA)

EY 100, JFK-AUH, 9 Aug 2014 and EY 274, AUH-HYD, 10-Aug 2014. We recently flew from JFK to HYD with a stop over in Abu Dhabi. Our nightmare started on the last leg (Abu Dhabi to HYD). There is no AC at the gate. There is no information given to the waiting passengers. Flight is delayed by 1 hr. Again no info. To our surprise there is no AC onboard while sat on the runway. Again no info. When angry passengers asked about this, the flight attendant mentioned some problems with AC and that it would work after take off. Flight attendants often skipped passengers when serving food and beverages.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  15 August 2014 by Maurice Huze    (Australia)

What a disappointment. I flew London to Abu Dhabi and onto Melbourne, August 11/12th. Both flights were delayed, although connection was made, the flight out of Abu Dhabi was an hour late with no explanation. I chose my seat online, 54K, as recommended, however all seats are hard and very narrow, and watching the screen was not a comfortable experience. Surprisingly, with so much content to view, the movies on offer were woeful. Meals were below average, and partly frozen! Worst of all was the indifference by the flight attendants to the blind gentleman sitting next to me. I had to call them to assist, otherwise they would have done nothing. I had to open his meals, cut it up, and put fork in his hand, and in effect, do their work.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  15 August 2014 by Sylvain Ercoli    (UK)

A friend and I booked two tickets to Seychelles in Economy, London Heathrow - Mahe via Abu Dhabi, then we decided to upgrade to Business Class via the upgrade offer. Our experience at Heathrow Terminal 4 Etihad Business Lounge was amazing, great people, smiling, great food and great service. On our journey back home we did the same, upgrade in Business Class. It was fine from Mahe to Abu Dhabi but our stopover in Abu Dhabi was 8 Hours. We were not afraid as, based on our experience in Heathrow we thought it would be just great. What a disappointment! At 2am in the morning on 5th August we came to the reception of Etihad Business lounge and we were declined access for the simple reason that our tickets were upgraded from economy. Furthermore the Staff at desk were both arrogant and unhelpful. So we had to wait in this ugly airport with all coffee shops closed until 6am to have a coffee. I complained to customer service and just received a polite answer but no compensation. I will never fly again with this airline.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  12 August 2014 by A Barduagni    (Australia)

I had a flight from Rome (Italy) to Abu Dhabi - Perth - Sydney. All flights were delayed and on the last connection (Perth - Sydney) once landed in Perth with 1.5 hours delay, Etihad had cancelled me from the list of passengers catching the next flight to Sydney, they booked me on one leaving 9 hrs later. I was at the check in of Virgin Blue and I have been answered "Sorry Etihad decided to move you on the next flight" and we cannot do anything about it. So my flight instead of being 26hrs long, it was 35hrs!

Etihad Airways Customer review :  12 August 2014 by A Althani    (Qatar)

Most of my travel is for holidays and two of my last two trips were on Etihad. The first was to South Africa on Etihad and South African, the latest was on Etihad and Alitalia - both disastrous. We travelled from Doha through Abu Dhabi to Rome and onto Venice waiting for our Cruise in the Mediterranean, now Alitalia ground staff have been on strike. Etihad knew of this strike but still checked my bags through to Venice knowing my bags could have not made it through. It has been three days without our bags and they can't even locate them and I will have to go on a 12 day cruise without luggage, other than that I will have to fly with them to go back home.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  12 August 2014 by A Althani    (Qatar)

We flew today from Doha to Venice on Etihad via Abu Dhabi and Rome, the flight from Rome to Venice was on Alitalia code share, the service on Etihad was very good, but again they failed to warn us that baggage handling in Rome were on strike and we ended up arriving in Venice and getting ready to go on a cruise short of three bags, why they keep failing to warn their passengers with equipment issues and service problems is just horrible, I think I need to take my business elsewhere from now onwards! Please do not take my criticism wrongly, Etihad's service on board is one of the best in the business, but the end result is what lasts and when you end up in a hotel room getting ready to get on a long awaited cruise holiday without your clothes you begin to ask yourself why on earth did I fly with these people, and why did they not re-route me when they knew about the problem but still took the risk with my holiday!

Etihad Airways Customer review :  12 August 2014 by M Azmy    (UAE)

I've flown with Etihad for more than 20 times in the past 3 years, mostly from CAI to AUH. Pros: The planes are new and in good shape. Fabulous IFE so you're entertained, which is a crucial factor for me. Cons: Seats are too cramped. More importantly, on most occasions staff are unfriendly. Every time I travel I say I'll give them another chance, but same old unfriendly staff attitude. You feel you need to beg them to do their job! Despite the above, I'm still using Etihad as sadly my other alternative would be Egyptair, who don't have an IFE on AUH flights, so I'm stuck with Etihad.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  12 August 2014 by E Smith    (Australia)

We upgraded to Business Class from Manchester to Abu Dhabi and were underwhelmed. Both flights were late (although not significantly) with no explanation. The seats are quite comfortable although a bit narrow, and clearly it is better than flying economy. But the service was very below par. On the first leg the crew were pleasant and attentive but got several things wrong (eg bringing the wrong meals). On the second leg, though, (a long one) the crew were awful. In my view we didn't even get economy class service. Nobody introduced him or herself, they staff were off-hand to the point of rudeness, the meals took forever to come, and the staff didn't respond to any minor requests. For example, I wanted a little sugar to sprinkle on my breakfast cereal-I was told that only sugar lumps were available, and it wasn't until I suggested that I could go myself and collect some from economy that some appeared! This is just one example of the inadequate and even offensive service. My main course at dinner was almost stone cold, and because I had waited so long for it I didn't send it back, but it was really horrible. This has never happened to me in scores of long-haul economy flights. Also our trays did not have the correct cutlery on them, so we had to keep asking for appropriate utensils. Again this doesn't happen in economy! Another issue was that when one pushed the button for service nothing happened. On two occasions we waited for over ten minutes and nobody appeared. Altogether - very poor, we would never fly Etihad again. I have no idea where they get the good ratings that they boast about. The only good thing about the airline is that the call centre staff are very pleasant and helpful.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  12 August 2014 by Michael Schade    (United Arab Emirates)

AUH-BKK. Morning flight. Smooth check in at AUH airport. Security check as always long queues since AUH airport has not been able to catch up with the growth in pass anger numbers. Boarding chaotic and unorganized. Flight departed an hour late due to heavy traffic. Seat the usual hard and narrow affair. The very busy FA's tried their best, but they were clearly understaffed on this full flight, something I've noticed on another flight a month ago. What really upset me was the "breakfast" they served. I opted for the Asian option, beef congee. It was about 100 ml of rice soup with a drop of Soya sauce and a few pieces of ginger. Beef could not be found. This was the most disgraceful meal I ever had on a flight, and I fly a lot. Etihad claims to be the world leading airlines, but I wonder who voted for them, certainly not y class passenger.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Dave Houlihan    (UAE)

AUH-DUB return J class. Limo pick up on time and friendly, check in a breeze, the one negative thing I find with this review is AUH airport and this is not Etihad's fault. The place was manic, lounge is not up to the mark, place packed, looks shabby, too small. Queue for the flight no Biz class lane, had to fight to get to the front, all biz passengers totally confused whilst Y class Pax gave dirty looks as we were finally let through to board first. On board all great staff, food, wines, seat and on time. Return lounge in Dublin is fantastic, very comfortable, fine dining, staff professional. Again return staff great, food and beverage super, etc. Arrival fast track and into limo in 20 minutes. good job just sort out AUH airport.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  4 August 2014 by V Sharpe    (Australia)

To be perfectly honest two of the four flights by Etihad were ok. However, the other two were so bad that they are hard to forget. The cabin crew on these two trips were mostly indifferent and disorganised. The seats were hard, narrow and uncomfortable and with two tired children crying as well due to the huge delays, it all added up! We had a bassinet seat and were told on the phone that we could use a bassinet, but when we got there, they said the baby was too big. The baby never got fed on any of the trips without asking and literally begging. After one hour and 40 minutes after adult meals were served and asking six times we were given tinned baby food! Buzzers elicited no response. After a huge unexplained delay with no food or water for the children, we were allowed on the plane. The food situation was disorganised and haphazard-the food was awful. The missed connections were covered, but there was more waits for hotels and transport etc. After all the fuss we got about 2 hours sleep before our connecting flight the next day. The two trips that were better, were shorter (6.5 hours) and had less people on them. On both these trips we got help from an excellent nanny and some good service from that person. On one of these trips we got champagne, but this was after my finger got jammed in the TV. Food was bad on all trips-seats were poor and the baby not catered for at all.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Regina Smith    (Australia)

Disorganised ground staff and process, particularly at Abu Dhabi. Late departures, poor lounges/terminals/gates at Heathrow and Abu Dhabi. Chaotic boarding. I had not flown with Etihad before. Won't fly again. Qantas a much better flying experience. Food service outside of meals on 7 hour flight was poor - I had to ask three times for a cup of tea. Staff polite but uninterested. Disappointed.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  1 August 2014 by S Martin    (Australia)

Flew SYD-AUH-GRU-AUH-SYD. My SYD-AUH flight was operated by Virgin Australia and was an excellent experience that I will not comment on here. The other three flights were operated by Etihad, which were fine enough. AUH-GRU and return was on an A340 - the planes felt a little old but there was plenty of space compared to most economy seats I've been in. However, AUH-SYD was on a B777 with quite possibly the worst economy long-haul seat I've experienced. The plane was nice and new, and the IFE was excellent, but the 3-4-3 layout meant the seat width was very narrow and uncomfortable, even for a skinny guy like myself. It was hard to walk up and down the aisles to get to the bathrooms due to lack of space - kept bumping into people, and I'm glad I wasn't sitting in an aisle seat otherwise I would have been extremely annoyed by this. Virgin Australia use a 3-3-3 layout on the exact same plane and it was very comfortable. Etihad need to learn something from their partner.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  30 July 2014 by J Roberts    (UK)

I flew back from Bangkok to Manchester via Abu Dhabi on 16th/17th July. Firstly, my outgoing journey to BKK was pretty good - I have no complaints other than the usual for me, not enough leg room (I am 6ft 3) however I am yet to fly with any carrier that I wouldn't say this about. The return journey was okay initially, the flight left BKK on time and arrived in Abu Dhabi as scheduled. We boarded the Abu Dhabi - Manchester flight about 30 minutes late and were removed from the aircraft because of a 'maintenance issue' about 20 minutes after embarking. We were then told we could 'show our boarding pass to any of the restaurants in the departure lounge and we'd be able to get some food and a drink. Attempting this proved impossible, I was told I needed a voucher from Etihad and wouldn't get anything unless I did. So a 25 minute queue for the voucher. Back to get some food. Oh, the voucher only entitles me to what? A doughnut and a coffee! A 6.5 hr delay and this is all that was offered, I was pretty disappointed and felt like this was in contradiction to Etihad's excellent reputation. We were eventually boarded on a flight some 7hrs later and whilst on-board the crew and staff were very attentive and professional. They provided a great service however the huge delay put a dampener on my return trip.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  30 July 2014 by L Manley    (Singapore)

Very disappointed. Flew Singapore to Brisbane in July and from the moment we were ushered from the very average lounge to the gate (only to find flight delayed 1.5hours) things went downhill. Seats extremely small for business class. I am an average size western female and found the business class space tight in comparison to other airlines. Champagne served immediately. After discussing our need to make a tight connection in Brisbane with the cabin crew we were assured each time we enquired (3 during flight) that our daughter would be bought through from economy so we could exit quickly, that the ground crew had been notified and that there would be ground crew to assist us to make connection. None of this happened! We fly on average twice per month and will not fly Etihad again!

Etihad Airways Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Hendrik Bentjes    (Netherlands)

AMS-BKK, 17 July 2014 with a stopover in Abu-Dhabi. Packed madhouse on the EY 408. The flight EY408 - Abu Dhabi- BKK was just cancelled and merged with EY 404. The reason was that both aircraft's were half full. Packed accordingly and left 3 hours later. Originally I had carefully selected window seat 52A but had now been put down in the middle on seat 47E. Cabin layout seats was 3-4-3. Seats are so tight. After hours of waiting, I discovered my suitcase was not on the plane! My luggage was supplied one day later to my hotel.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Michael Schade    (United Arab Emirates)

AUH-DUS return. The started on a rather bad note as the limousine did not show up. Calling the call center is a waste of time as they are rude and never call back. I took a cab and rushed to the airport. I had to fight for my taxi money, but got it back. The flights were uneventful, the usual long, but very narrow sleeper beds, well presented, but not very tasty meals, and the overworked and understaffed crew in C class. Etihad is an ok carrier, but cannot be compared with its South East Asian competitors.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  23 July 2014 by E Rogers    (Australia)

We had 3 flights with Ethiad (Australia - Europe - return) and the staff were miserable - we felt we couldn't even ask for a glass of water outside of the food service. There was no pre-boarding for families with kids which a few years ago for us was invaluable (with SIA of course). Our last flight, Abu Dhabi to Perth today was over booked and an employee stood at the gate and announced "boarding now" so it wasn't done in seat order - absolute chaos. A family of 4 with kids under 3 was sat 2 and 2 on opposite sides of the aircraft. Abu Dhabi airport is chaotic and officious (although the Premier Inn for an overnight stay when we had an 8 hr layover outbound was the highlight and very good). The aircraft spent ages taxiing after landing (outbound and inbound) with no communication from the cockpit and likewise our last flight left an hour late with no announcement as to why. The attendant call button is very loud and seems to sound continuously throughout the flight - why can't the volume be turned down or the staff rely on a light? The temperature kept going from hot to cold and back again - very unpleasant. Overall not great and we won't go again - what you see on the advert is definitely not what you get.

Etihad Airways Customer review :  23 July 2014 by P Priyanu    (Germany)

20/7/2014, Bangkok - Abu Dhabi : Business Class, 777-300er. Nothing special compared to the Business Class of other airlines. Abu Dhabi - Munich: First Class, A340-600: I was so looking forward to be seated in the First Class again and Etihad never fail to impress me from the chef to the cabin crew. So nice and friendly from Abu Dhabi until we landed in Munich.

| Home | Airline Opinions | Legal Notice | Airline Ranking | Airport Ranking| Advertise | Surveys| Site Map| Contact Us | Links |

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax