Cathay Pacific Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  23 September 2013 by Adil Mehta    (USA)

The Business class, alas, is not for families and those who want to sit next to each other and talk. It is designed almost exclusively for people traveling by themselves. I have a 3 year old (and he was 2 years old and I had still purchased a separate seat for him), but a child this young needs someone next to him for all the obvious reasons. Unfortunately the designers did not make any allowance for people like myself. What a pity. The staff were nice and helpful, but I will not want to travel in Business class in Cathay again unless I am by myself, which is hardly ever the case.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  20 September 2013 by Michael A Bogdanovskiy    (Israel)

HKG-TSA-KIX and return. Very nice staff, but its the only good thing that I can say about this flight. In both flights I flew 777 but different cabin types. First time it was old type Economy, seats was ok, very poor entertainment on flight, but in return it was New Economy Class and its terrible, even in 5 hours flights. I don't know what they were thinking when they made seats that do not actually recline!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  16 September 2013 by Andrew Riches    (UAE)

Dubai - Hong Kong - Sydney. I have flown this route with Cathay now 3 times in the last 5 months in the new business class. It takes me an extra six odd hours on this route with the stop over rather than with Qantas direct, however, that's where the negatives stop. Considering the price which is consistently 2000 dollars less expensive return and what I regard as a better product than QF (seats all have aisle access much more privacy etc), it's a no brainer. Cathay every time as the saving/product far out weighs the extra travel time. The inflight service, food and all round package has for me, Has been consistently excellent as well. Will continue with them for all my travel!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  13 September 2013 by C Goddard    (UK)

I had not flown CX for some time but was massively disappointed. 3 of the 4 business class flights (UK - Hong Kong - Singapore) were in seats that should have been scrapped years ago (747 especially). It was like travelling in an old coffin. The equipment was ancient, I have not seen such poor seats and screens in other airlines for at least ten years. The screen at one time gave a message that Heathrow terminal 5 would be opening in March 2008 and that care should be taken when using Heathrow. This is amazingly poor. The food was more like economy standard than business. The choice of films and other entertainment was limited with very few recent films. The whole experience was not what I expect from a 'quality' airline. The only redeeming factor was that most of the staff were very helpful.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  12 September 2013 by Nick Roberts    (UK)

MNL-HKG-LHR. While the new, reclining, economy seats on its 777s are certainly appreciated, service levels continue to be eroded. Online check-in did not open until 12 hours before the flight - I suspect because I was departing from MNL - which meant that there were hardly any seats available to select on the HKG-LHR flight. Food was generally bad, and of course they ran out of options. Cathay now serves tap water, which would be fine were it not that there was a very bleachy aftertaste in the water served on the flight to London. Cathay seems unable to serve cold drinks. Having recently flown long haul with Singapore Airlines, I would say that there is a vast difference between these two airlines' economy offerings, with Cathay much the worse.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  12 September 2013 by J Malherbe    (Australia)

Business class, Sydney-Hong Kong-Milan, (points reward ticket). Excellent flights . Seats very comfortable, service superb in all aspects. Would definitely recommend.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  12 September 2013 by Scott Williams    (Australia)

Id originally booked my SYD-LHR flight with Virgin Atlantic. The day before my flight, I was informed that the incoming flight to HKG from LHR had been sent back to LHR due to engine problems. I was then rebooked on Qantas SYD to HKG then Cathay Pacific HKG to LHR. I was upgraded to Business on the SYD-HKG leg then had a 6 hour lay over in HKG. All attempts to get the window seat I had requested met with apologies as the flight was full. I am used to a little more room given the fact that I am spending the extra dollars on the Premium Economy cabin. The configuration was 2-4-2. I was stuck in the middle and as soon as the meal service had ended and the trays collected the whole row in front of my row reclined their seats making it impossible to get out of the seat without disturbing my neighbour. Which meant that for the entire 12 hour flight from HKG to LHR I was only able to get up once during the flight to go to the toilet. It would make more sense to remove an entire row and space the cabin accordingly. I can't imagine how bad the Economy section was. I will never travel Cathay Pacific again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  11 September 2013 by Jim Ash    (USA)

NRT-HKG, SIN-HKG and HKG-SFO, September 1st, 3rd and 5th respectively. First two flights were in Business Class on an A330 - lots of room, great service and food. Studio C entertainment worked well and flights were on time. HKG-SFO flight was in First Class and on a 747-400. There were 4 passengers in the cabin and the service was excellent. 3 Flight Attendants and I felt like I was in a 5-Star hotel and restaurant. Having flown them before on the 777-300ER in First, I was aware of their service/food etc. but this flight surpassed previous experiences. It is one of those times when you wished it did not have to end. The bed on the 747 and 777-300ER is the best I have experienced. The seat alone at 36 inches wide is enough space for two people. I hope to fly Cathay Pacific again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  11 September 2013 by M Vejvar    (Austria)

I booked a flight from Moscow to Hong Kong - it was horrible. The plane was malfunctioning, and instead of getting us off the plane, they left us sitting there for 7 hours. They finally let us off the plane, and sent us to the transit area - without information or water, for 3 hours. Then, they let us wait another 12 hours, at least in the Business Lounge. After the 12 hours, they announced that we would have to wait for another 18 hours to get our flight - that's when we snapped, and they re-booked us with Emirates via Dubai. Cathay lost our luggage that arrived three days later.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  10 September 2013 by Tim Short    (Australia)

Hong Kong - Sydney, Premium Economy. After a pretty poor experience Sydney - Hong Kong earlier in the year I was quite pleased with this flight. Received a champagne after boarding, the business class main course was very nice. Korean member of crew on my aisle was very customer focused. Seats are decent sized and allowed about 5 hours sleep before a nice hot breakfast. Only downsides were limited choice and refilling of drinks and long way and wait for the bathroom.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  10 September 2013 by Erwin Lee    (Canada)

I flew CX 827 from Toronto-Hong Kong originally I was supposed to be on CX 826 but was cancelled due to engine failure. I was rescheduled on the next flight and was given $100 to spend on food at the airport. I have been flying with the airline since 2000 and I enjoy the service, friendly flight attendants, and the flight although the food could use some improvement. I recommend the airline.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  9 September 2013 by Rich McLafferty    (USA)

Just flew HKG-SFO in Premium Economy. It's ok, nothing special. I am a vegetarian and ordered a special meal. They serve your special meal at least 30 minutes prior to serving the other passengers so it seems quite strange (you're there eating and nobody else is), then you don't get a drink until they serve the other passengers so I was done with my meal and my tray sat there for about 1.5 hours. Did not get any other amenities, they are supposed to give you a small amenity kit but nobody got one on this flight. Not really sure it's worth the extra cost of the ticket. If you're used to business class, premium economy will be a big disappointment in my opinion.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  3 September 2013 by A Thompson    (New Zealand)

Checked in for my flight at Rome International Airport to Auckland, New Zealand via Hong Kong. Queued to board when a Cathay Pacific hostess said there was a delay, to go have lunch, then return at 1pm. I returned at 1pm. My flight was still not boarding and no staff present. Waited a further 2 hours before any staff were present to answer questions. Told the flight had been delayed until 9am the next morning, to go to the Hilton hotel and those with connecting flights will receive information once there. No explanation for the delay. In the morning we were told that connecting flights would be arranged once we landed at Hong Kong. No boarding gate was given, security would not let us through as our boarding passes were for the day before, Cathay Pacific staff failed to inform them we were coming. Once at the gate we were told of a further delay until 4pm. Told there were no seats on that days flight to Hong Kong. I was informed my connecting flight from Hong Kong to Auckland would be rescheduled and would be available when I landed. This did not happen. Staff at Hong Kong put me on a later flight. I am extremely annoyed at how the situation was handled. I will never fly Cathay Pacific again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  2 September 2013 by M Krahl    (Australia)

Just returned from Germany on PE Cathay Pacific. Flew SYD to HKG seated in 30 D and E. Priority Check In and Boarding in Sydney, plenty of Legroom (Bulkhead Seat). Champagne as promised, good Meal, good Seat Comfort except short Seat Base for good under thigh support. Footrest useless, only suitable for very short people, used Pillow on lower part of Legrest instead. HKG to FRA seated in 31 D and E. No Priority Boarding, found out on return leg that we could have boarded with Business and First (no Announcements). Less Legroom because Bulkhead was closer, but still plenty of room. PE Cabin had their own toilet, unlike previous Flight where we had to share Economy Toilet. Same Seats, Champagne and good Food. On Return, Priority Check in and Boarding in Frankfurt, same Seats as previously. Food was worse and Service less friendly. On the last leg from HKG to SYD not as attentive as on the way over. All up good Product, but could be improved in some Areas.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  28 August 2013 by R Adams    (Australia)

I just flew for the first time with Cathay Pacific Premium Economy and was very disappointed. Plastic glasses, slanted TV screens in first row, thin blankets, extremely mediocre food even for the "Hong Kong chef special", only one wine choice for either white or red and red wine was freezing cold. The service was very inattentive - no refills on wine, for example. Poor wine quality. Uncomfortable seats and very weak selection of movies. Also, lots of confusion at boarding whether premium economy can board with business or just economy. Compare this to Qantas premium economy: nice food on a white tablecloth with real plates and real glasses. good selection of wines. thick blanket. attentive service-you feel almost like business class. comfortable and attractive seats. How does Cathay get a good reputation?

1999-2013  Skytrax. All rights reserved.