Cathay Pacific Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  17 February 2014 by J Huang    (Australia)

Flew in Business from Brisbane to Hong Kong and return. Check-in both ways was efficient and friendly. Qantas business lounge in Brisbane was not very good with limited selection of food, and unfortunately did not have a chance to sample CX's many lounges in HK. On board the flight, staff were friendly and efficient - especially the customer service managers on both flights. Service from other staff varied, and whilst efficient, some were not very proactive (though this is a very minor complaint). Food was of excellent quality and portions plentiful. I particularly liked the Cathay signature drinks offered on the menu. The business seat is fantastic and well appointed. IFE was good, however the movie selections were a little limited for my preferences.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  10 February 2014 by Patt Tav    (Thailand)

CX708 and CX709, 17-19 Jan 2014. My friend and I booked our flight specifically with confirmation that we would have flown with the new business class seat on Boeing 747. Upon check in, we were told that we were to fly on an Airbus 330. We boarded the plane and I was in shock. The seats were exactly the same as 10 years ago but older due to aging. The seats were old and ugly with a width of other '5-star' airlines premium economy class and recline of their economy! Lights were flickering during take off. My seat was broken and could not upright to 90 degrees for take off and landing. I was told at least 3 times by a steward to adjust my seat upright before he accepted the fact that my seat was broken. I was not offered another seat as the flight was fully booked. Personal TV screen was even smaller than my Samsung Galaxy phone with broken, green and flickering display. When I tried to ask if there was power socket to charge my phone I was told that there wasn't one available! I tried to sleep but I could not because the seat was so uncomfortable with almost economy class recline. Instead of flying a bigger, newer plane to replace reduced flight, they decided to fly the oldest of the oldest. We were greeted with at least 5 idle Boeing 747 upon our arrival in Hong Kong. My flight back was the same plane type with the same discomfort, but with a worse selection of food. The flight was not the cheapest but the most uncomfortable of all the choices I have.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  10 February 2014 by Clive V Drake    (UK)

HKG-KUL - one way. My wife and I are touring the Far East and this one way trip of 4 hours with CP was very good indeed. The plane was newish and the seats as good as International BA Club World. Its sort of odd in the recline as the whole thing seems to go up - vertically. But very comfortable when you get the hang of it. Food very tasty - had smoked salmon and Asian Chicken followed by fruit. All good. Drinks all chilled. FAs on the mark - friendly and efficient. Was it worth the 1,000 each - actually I thought it was. The lounge was a odd experience - good food and booze etc - but weird plastic seats and tables that looked like a local HK bog standard eating house. All in all though a good flight and I would recommend the airline.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 February 2014 by B Becker    (USA)

Recently flew from Okinawa Japan to Sydney Australia round-trip (used Dragon Air to go from Hong Kong and Okinawa). One recommendation is try to avoid flying during the Chinese New Year which is very busy, we flew January 19th and return flight was Feb. 4th and both flights were full. Our return flight was on a Tuesday (from Sydney to Hong Kong) and was absolutely chaotic and full. I found the Flight Attendants to be very helpful and extremely nice (compared to US Carriers). Our 2 yo daughter was screaming/crying and they were very attentive. Tried to upgrade to Economy Plus but not available. Economy is not going to be comfortable on any airline you choose (9 hr flight from Hong Kong to Sydney). Plan on little to no sleep on if in Economy with the seating. Most flights are red eyes to and from Hong Kong and Sydney. Food was ok and they do feed you no matter the time. We were annoyed as we flew back from Sydney as they fed us at 11pm, we were hoping they would darken the cabin to help our daughter sleep, no such luck. Inflight entertainment system was great. I would recommend Cathay Pacific but try to upgrade to Premium Economy if you can and again avoid flying 2 weeks before and after Chinese New Year if going through Hong Kong because it will be busy!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  7 February 2014 by Nag Gautam Prasad    (India)

Myself and my wife visit Melbourne, Australia to see our children almost every 2 years. We by choice travel Singapore Airlines. This time, for a change we travelled Cathay Pacifc from Kolkata, India, via Hong Kong. We boarded flight CX 105, scheduled on 19th Dec 2013 which actually took off from Hong Kong in the early hours of 20th Dec 2013. When dinner was served, my wife asked for an extra bun. She was told that there was no extra bun available. I asked for red wine, when I was waiting for a second serving, by the time the hostess came to me after serving others seated ahead of me, she poured into my glass whatever little left in bottle and said sorry!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 February 2014 by Kwai Cindy    (Hong Kong)

CX549, HND-HKG booked in Premium Economy class upgrade to Business Class. Very nice long-haul Business Class seat. I have a single seat window and aisle. Welcome drink, nice greeting with meal menu. The food need to improve in Business Class. Taste is worst than before. Cabin Crew are friendly. Once again, the flight arrived 20mins early into HKG.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 February 2014 by Casper Yap    (USA)

KUL-HKG. Found things pleasant. New plane with responsive staff. Used FF, so paid a small fee to cover taxes.

JFK-HKG. Took the same flight last year. Newer plane with acceptable seat. Flight 99% full. Biggest issue is timing of meals. Flight left at 2pm, first meal started before 4pm and second/last meal at 10pm. No further meals for next 8 hours. some snack available but not enough to keep the belly occupied. Will not fly this flight again. Return flight was more standard, with both meals spaced properly.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 February 2014 by M Whitmore    (UK)

Business Class LHR to AKL. LHR to Hong Kong leg was with Cathay and the HK to AKL leg provided by Air NZ as code share. On the whole, Cathay was superior, with the exception of the food, which was excellent on Air NZ. Cathay business class seating provided excellent space and storage, and the configuration 1x2x1 with each seat angled away from the aisle ensured privacy. This contrasted with Air NZ which had less storage and not as much privacy as seats have lower screens and are angled towards each other. The Air NZ lie flat bed with mattress was comfortable but requiring the crew to make up the bed was an irritation. The inflight entertainment was far superior on Cathay Pacific. The Air NZ controls were very dated and the screen was small compared to other airlines. Overall, service from flight crew was very good with both airlines. Disappointing that a lounge pass was not provided at check-in because of the codeshare status and I was instructed to use the Air NZ lounge at Hong Kong but on arrival discovered Air NZ shares the Thai lounge which was disappointing to say the least. Codeshare also meant that I couldn't check in on line for the non Cathay legs. I chose the code share flight combination as it offered the opportunity to experience two different business class services. Next time I would select flights only from Cathay pacific as Air NZ was disappointing. I understand that the Hong Kong to AKL route is provided by older fleet and it felt like it.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  3 February 2014 by Mansfield Chu    (Singapore)

We travelled on Business Class from Singapore to Colombo. Tickets were booked on expedia. There were some confusion over the name on the boarding pass and passport. Staff at check-in assured us that it had been changed after an argument but found out that it had not. Departure from Singapore was delayed an hour. Now departure from Colombo has also been delayed for an hour. Staff at check-in should be less surly. The airline should maintain a level of punctuality.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  3 February 2014 by Serge Grynkewich    (Philippines)

Cathay's cabins on regional flights were in need of a re-do and a clean up. Cathay has rolled out a new "regional business class" seat that has partially addressed the upgrade, but has totally ignored passenger comfort in the seat. First, the seat is hard. On a short sector, Manila/Hong Kong, I found the seat uncomfortably hard and actually found my back aching. How can they have padded the seat so sparsely? Secondly, the seat does offer some recline and an opportunity to snooze, although not quite enough especially if one is tall. I'm short, 5'8", and my feet were bumping the apparatus in front of me that housed the next seats. Truly, 2" more of leg room would have been very good and one wonders why Cathay made the pitch so tight. Thirdly, the seat has no foot rest - a true failing. How did this happen? In all, Cathay's service is good and attentive but the seat in the new regional business class needs a respectable amount of padding, 2" more pitch, and a place to rest one's feet when reclined!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  30 January 2014 by Jennifer Bentley    (UK)

Flew SYD-HKG on a codeshare so didn't pay CX prices but this was by far the best carrier of the trip. Staff are attentive and pleasant, nothing is too much trouble for them, and seat (A330) was very comfortable. If I could afford it I'd definitely fly the whole trip to NZ and back with Cathay.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  29 January 2014 by Kwai Cindy    (Hong Kong)

CX548, HKG-HND, Premium Economy. This is a 777-300ER. I like this aircraft because it has a separate washroom in the Premium Economy Cabin. This is the second time that I have taken Premium Economy from HKG to HND. On ground, welcome drink is nice. Food is ok, but it can improve a bit. Cabin crews are nice and friendly. As usually Cathay Pacific flights on-time. If they add a mid-night flight from HKG to HND will be better, just like CX524 HKG-NRT.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  28 January 2014 by L Kong    (Canada)

YVR-JFK round trip. This flight is a bit weird because it carries passengers from HKG to JFK via YVR. It collects some passengers from YVR to JFK. Captain greeted passengers with weather and flight information. Flight to JFK was full, but flight crew served drinks and food together, then with another round of drinks before shutting off the lights to let people sleep. An hour before landing, flight crew walked the aisles with water jugs to serve water. On the way back from JFK to YVR, the flight was only a third full. Check-in staff gave me a full row to myself. My phone charger broke, so I asked for one and the FA gave me her personal charger. The 777 has touch screen entertainment with USB access, massive collection of movies and TV shows. Good airline overall, the HKG-YVR-JFK route however is mostly going to be a red eye flight, the return flight was less stressful.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  28 January 2014 by N Petersen    (France)

HKG-TPE. I have travelled several times with Cathay Pacific, and I am always very impressed with their service. On my return flight, I arrived early at the airport. At the check-in, they told me that my flight was slightly delayed. Because they feared that I might miss my connection to Europe in Hong Kong, they automatically rebooked me on the flight one hour earlier very professional! The flight experience itself was, as always impeccable.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  28 January 2014 by Smith Nanette    (Australia)

I have travelled Cathay Pacific in the past and enjoyed the experience but have to say my last two flights from Perth to Hong Kong then Hong Kong to Tokyo Haneda were very average. The plane was looking old (in economy, noted that first class and business looked like they had been renovated). My entertainment system did not work on the first flight. Rarely have I found an airline meal so bad I would not eat it, but the Hake was disgusting and the scrambled eggs the next morning also awful. On the first flight the cabin crew were abrupt, I realise it was a full flight but I still expect pleasantness. The service was minimal and seemed rushed and a bit sloppy. I thought it might have been just me but when I caught up with my husband and son who had flown the same route two days earlier, we laughed because they too had exactly the same experience. I'm hoping to enjoy my return trip in a weeks time more.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  25 January 2014 by Roger Tilling    (UK)

CX270, AMS-HKG and CX767, HKG-SGN. Flight from Amsterdam in an A340 had the old herringbone Business Class seats - I actually really liked having my own private 'pod'. The cabin crew were some of the friendliest, courteous and most genuine I have ever been served by in the sky - nothing was a problem to them. The inflight food was beautifully presented and cooked. I admit, being 6ft 5ins tall, the flat bed is too short to lie flat, but even though I wish they designed seats for taller people it is still possible to get some sleep. Their lounges at Hong Kong Airport are outstanding - there are 6 of them! The flight to Ho Chi Minh City was on an A330 with the old regional seating, not the new 777 with new business class seating (aircraft change) but still the serene, comfortable, professional service and great food. I'm not surprised that Cathay Pacific is a 5-Star airline - other airlines like BA could learn so much from them. An absolutely brilliant experience!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  23 January 2014 by J Short    (USA)

CX807, March 24 2013 and CX 709, March 25 2013. I have never experienced a more enjoyable travel experience. Cathay is truly on their game, and puts other top airlines to shame. I felt at home and cared for, which made for a great trip.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  22 January 2014 by M New    (Hong Kong)

HKG-KUL. The plane is embarrassingly old. My seat was broken as was the entertainment system. The flight attendants do their best but the airline really leaves them high and dry with the product they are putting up. It happened that my schedule was such that I returned to HK on Malaysian Airlines (a code share with Cathay) and that was much better. The Malaysian Airlines staff were excellent, the plane was new and it all worked very nicely. Cathay's best days appear to be well behind them.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  20 January 2014 by Kwai Cindy    (Hong Kong)

CX100, SYD-HKG in Premium Economy class. On ground welcome drink and hot towel. I took the first row window seat and it was nice that next to my seat was empty. The meal was great, not worse than Business Class. Inflight snack you can choose noodles, chips, biscuit or apple. One thing is not good enough in PEY cabin is that they do not have a restroom on Airbus A330-300. The 773-300ER has one restroom. I am glad that they still provide Business class headsets in PEY cabin. It helps reduce engine sound. The seat was just like regional Business seats. Flight arrived 35 mins early.

1999-2013  Skytrax. All rights reserved.