Cathay Pacific Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  18 November 2013 by Iweif Jeh    (Hong Kong)

I flew from Narita Airport with CX 501 and the staff service was fabulous. The beef was very tender and juicy. So overall, it was the best flight and best service of all the other airlines! I strongly recommend this airline.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  18 November 2013 by Lo Sing Hung    (Hong Kong)

Hong Kong to Narita, B777-300ER. The seat is comfortable and one of the best in the world. Boarding was quick and economy seats were plush and comfy. Cabin crew were excellent as always. People who aren't happy with Economy Class service must have been spoilt by First Class too much.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  14 November 2013 by D Borillo    (Spain)

NRT-HKG. A330-300. Check-in and boarding very fast and efficient. Full load but crew proactively help pax to sit. Seat a bit narrow but still quite comfortable for a 5 hour flight. Food not good at all. No choice of hot meal, just a chicken with rice and a strange gravy I hardly touched. Crew very friendly and IFE didn't use. Flight back HKG-NRT a few days later a a pretty new 777-300 with the shell seats I found quite spacious and comfortable, there was no one sitting next to me so that helped. The male cabin crew attending my zone was friendly and engaging. This time you could opt for pork or pasta. I chose pasta and must say delicious together with a turkey salad which was very tasty. This time I used the IFE and music selection was good but movies had a too small selection in any other language than English. Overall a very good experience and wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  5 November 2013 by Catherine Watmough    (Australia)

My husband and I recently flew from Melbourne to Rome and returned London to Melbourne arriving yesterday. We were in Economy and the experience was the worst I have had on an International Flight. Two flights were delayed by 3 hours, the first resulted in landing in Milan instead of Rome and then on Alitalia to Rome, arriving several hours late. The seats were horribly uncomfortable, my bottom was numb after a few hours - supposedly their fantastic new shell seats! The fourth flight was on a very old plane, no new seats however the backs did not recline at all. Service was appalling, cold, unfriendly and unhelpful flight attendants. The toilet floors were sticky and wet after a short time, and not cleaned All flights had 5-7 hours between meals with no offer of drinks at all. Our one request for a drink of wine outside of meal times was met with a grudging response and a 15 minute wait. The food was average, the inflight entertainment basic. The only positive was that the check in staff in Melbourne, Milan, London and Hong Kong were friendly and welcoming. Never again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  4 November 2013 by M Reno    (USA)

Have flown 6 USA to Hong Kong round trips over the past 18 months. First time on Cathay Pacific. The economy premium is a great product. I was lured to it by the seat, and by the reputation for great service. They only deliver on the seat. The seat is much nicer than the premium economy seat in any USA-based carrier. By a lot. More legroom, more recline, slightly bigger screen. But the service is marginal. The attendants are SUPER friendly. But they are never around. They huddle in the far back galley, and you need to dodge your way to the back of the plane if you want anything. They make 3 runs through the cabin on a 15 hour flight. I have since read that this is by design. That CP believes that they are offering "privacy" by not coming through the cabin. They seem to want you to ring the call button, and that they will handle your requests with friendly urgency. This approach might be appropriate for domestic Chinese flights. But it just doesn't work with flights to/from America, where we have been conditioned by surly flight attendants to keep our hands off the button except in cases of extreme emergency. I found myself wondering if I preferred the grouchy, but available service of USA- based carriers, or instead preferred the friendly, but absent service of Cathay Pacific attendants. In the end, the seat wins. My observation is that CP really wants to be a great airline, and I think they are sincere in trying. They just need to better understand the markets they serve. Food was ok, not great. Entertainment options were ok, not great. Beverage selection was very poor. Limited choices. Inadequate supply.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  4 November 2013 by K Taylor    (Australia)

Flew economy Melbourne to Hong Kong trip, to HK was ok but the return was not. Delayed for a couple of hours needed another plane. Service on board was good, staff seem remote, no smiles. I was surprised to see they seem to be using the older A330 's fleet - might need an upgrade. In all I was disappointed.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  4 November 2013 by Sara O'Toole    (Australia)

Recent trip from LHR to HK in PE. Footrest jammed in the up position all the way. Unable to get out of seat without a lot of difficulty. Couldn't even put it down for landing so no chance of brace position if necessary. An all round awful experience. Never again.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  1 November 2013 by D Weiss    (USA)

Have flown 4 round trips, all between LAX-HKG-BKK, BKK-HKG-LAX. Both old and new business class seats are great, but regarding to long haul flights between LAX-HKG, the newer one is far better than the old one, but not being as spoiled person, the old one is still excellent. Even on 15hr 30 min flights, it never bored due to excellent food, sleeping on flat bed, and entertainment. These are in 773ER. The regional flights between HKG-BKK, all 773, 772, and AB333 seats are not as big as 773ER, but still really comfortable for short haul flights. All service are excellent!

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  29 October 2013 by Amanda Brown    (Australia)

I am usually a fan of Cathay but they dropped the ball this time. MEL-HKG, Scheduled 00.40 am, take off came and passed before they let us known there was a problem. Kept telling us they would update us in 15 mins, this went on for 2 hours before we received an SMS saying the plane was delayed to 3pm. This saw passengers approach staff at the desk who had no idea what was going on or about the new take off time. Finally they told us the plane needed a part which would be flown in from Brisbane so we would have to go home as there only a few hotel rooms available. After several hours we were given a cab voucher and finally had to leave through immigration and customs all off whom looked really peeved. Left the airport at about 4am to find no taxi's. Melbourne Airport staff made frantic calls to taxi companies. 45 mins later we were on the way home. Up at 11 am to get ready to head back to airport to find an SMS saying the flight was delayed to 10.30 pm that night. Finally boarded to find another problem with plane which thankfully they fixed and off we went. Service on board was fine, PE seats ok with added leg room. Far to tired to care and tried to sleep most of the way. Cathay staff at Melbourne lost the plot when confronted with a problem. Get your act together.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  29 October 2013 by A Wang    (Australia)

CX565 from Osaka to Hong Kong, 20th Sep 13. This flight stop over is in Taipei. Staff on this flight not very courteous and not very helpful. When we reached Taipei, the crew just hid, they acted as if they had nothing to do with the passenger, cleaners hopped on anto d clean up. A female crew came over to ask whether my child wanted a children's meal. I said there was no need to prepare a children's meal. I also have a baby, I asked if my baby could have the children's meal. After a while, a staff member came over to tell me that because the baby travels for free, they are not supposed to have a meal. I just didn't realise the service from Business to Economy could can be so different.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  28 October 2013 by C Jamie    (Philippines)

LAX to MNL with my handicapped sister, May 2013, took business class to make sure that my sister was comfortable since she could not move the left side of her body and was in a wheelchair. Although I was told before I booked my flight that I will have to be responsible for transferring my sister to and from the wheelchair to her seat, I was hoping that there would be kind people willing to help me out in case I needed it. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised that the airplane we took had some apparatus that would aid the handicapped to transfer to their seats (one was a long board that she could sit on and would slide her to the seat, while the other was a lift sling that needed 3 people to carry her to her seat). The flight attendants were trained to do the manoeuvres although it did seem that not all of them were so familiar with how to use it but they were very eager to help us out. Although a mechanical error occurred during our flight from HKG to MNL and caused us to go back to MNL 20 mins into the flight to change airplanes (meaning repeating the whole process of transferring her from her seat to an inflight wheelchair to a regular wheelchair and then back to an inflight wheelchair and onto her airplane seat again). I was just very thankful that the staff of Cathay Pacific were very accommodating to us and would recommend this to those who have to travel with someone who is handicapped.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  28 October 2013 by A Willis    (Canada)

HKG-YYZ a few months ago. First of all, got thoroughly duped on their website with their infamously tricky pricing process. When they say 'total price', they still have not added their 15-20% additional carrier fees which they disguise as taxes. After arriving at the airport, I am informed the flight is delayed 30 minutes. Once arriving at the gate, I am then informed they have changed the gate and that the flight is now 45 minutes delayed. When I arrive at the new gate, they have extended the delay by 15 minutes and then a few minutes later, they covertly increase it by 15 minutes. So we're an hour and 15 minutes late out of the gate and the captain comes on and blames the typhoon (which was only a T1 and no other flights were delayed that I could see). The aircraft is tired, and the cabin crew look about the same. After 15 hours of a very uncharming and shameless money grabbing experience (advertisements everywhere - before every video you watch, about 3 of them and about 5 reminders of the duty free items being offered), we arrive at YYZ with the pilots not having made up any time at all, likely to save fuel. The airline is obviously in financial distress (see the latest report) and it's been consistently poorly managed for the last few years. Another legacy carrier to add to the 3-4 star category methinks.

Cathay Pacific Airways Customer review :  26 October 2013 by E Edmond    (Australia)

MEL-HKG-AMS on 340-300. Truly terrible. Long Haul from HKG-AMS was 13 hours and was given 1 meal, then 10 hours later we got breakfast which consisted of a sloppy omelette. Sure everyone complains about economy class food, but 10 hours without even a cracker and cheese? I counted 7 hours without even being offered even a glass of water. If I needed a drink, I had to take my water bottle to the rear and ask for it to be filled. The seats - they don't recline at the back, but the bottom of the seat, the part you sit on, slides forward so your knees are pushed into the seat pocket in front, offering no support whatsoever for your lower back. The seat pocket, the elastic edge had lost it spring, so did not hold magazines etc, but just flopped onto your knees. And what is with the pouch that is on the strap of the seat beat, so uncomfortable and bulky. Seat is very hard too and for a 13 hour flight, very bad for circulation. The service was the worst of it, I just don't understand where the staff were during all that time they were absent in the cabin. I'll never fly them again, except I the return ticket for this trip I've already purchased.

1999-2013  Skytrax. All rights reserved.