China Southern Airlines Customer Reviews and Passenger Trip Reports

4 Star Airline

a World 4-Star Airline

China Southern Airlines
2.5 Star Rating: Average

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Robert Walbeek (China)

I fly CZ at least 6-10 times a month, all domestic flights in China - I am a Gold member of SkyTeam. Cannot complain about the food as I do not eat airline food. In general this airline is not too bad. Flights are 80% on time. Very limited English skills both on the ground and in the air. But what do you expect? Even pilots do not speak good English and a pilot announcement from the cockpit is unheard off. Many Gold benefits like priority boarding, luggage handling, security etc do not work here - very frustrating.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by Jones Richard (New Zealand)

We travelled four legs with China Southern. Auckland to Guangzhou, Guangzhou to Amsterdam, Paris to Guangzhou in business class very comfortable, food average, service good. Lounge in Guangzhou adequate only. Fourth leg, Guangzhou to Auckland very disappointing. Departure gate very disorganized with other flights intermingled and no air bridge. On board in back section of business class we were not able to choose what we wanted from food menu for either meal. The inflight TV system was not working. During the night there was a constant number of economy passengers walking through the business class section during the night. The beds were comfortable and the staff were pleasant but we have no ability to communicate in Chinese and the girls had little English.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2014 by M Davis (Australia)

I booked with China Southern solely because of the unbeatable price - $1300 from Brisbane to Vancouver return. I flew from Brisbane to Guangzhou on one of CSAIR new airbuses which was relatively roomy with great inflight entertainment. The only downside of this flight was some very ordinary food. I'm not a fan of airplane food at the best of times but this food was close to unidentifiable. The next leg was from Guangzhou to Vancouver on one of the new Dreamliners which was great. CSAIR certainly have some of the most modern aircraft. The food on this leg was much better. The air stewards were good. Obviously English wasn't their first language but they did their best to understand English speaking customers. They don't bowl you over with friendliness but overall the trip was great especially when offered free accommodation due to a long stopover - only problem was I had already paid for accommodation. One thing, if China really wants to crack the Western market, they need to work on their 'people skills' at their airports. In Guangzhou we were made to feel very unwelcome with unhelpful airport staff. The 72hr transit visa waver is a bit of a nightmare with no one clearly explaining you need the boarding pass for your next leg, even if it is 2 days away, to get through customs - the airline ticket doesn't cut it. This meant being yelled at in Cantonese by customs officials - not exactly encouraging.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by Jones Clive (New Zealand)

A really good effort from CZ on my first experiences. To tell the truth I was sceptical on how the long four sectors would go but overall they were great. Booked in business but upgraded to first I think due to my status on another alliance and possibly that I travel quite a bit. Flights were on time, in fact boarded quite early in every instance which I like as I'd rather be in a peaceful plane that noisy busy terminal most often. Crew friendly and welcoming and while English is limited I had absolutely no problem getting what I wanted fast and efficiently on all sectors. Food was absolutely fine and up to a standard I was happy with both presentation and size and quality of range. They definitely know they must do this to reach the high yield European long haul market and they seem to do it well. Guangzhou premium lounge is only ok, certainly not up to other airlines with limited range of food but there are good showers and wifi. Get a wifi code from the ground floor reception before you head to the top floor. CZ website and apps are rubbish so take care with these any use a travel agent unless you are Chinese and can make your way around the problems. Seating was good but not at the standard of Singapore or Etihad but not that far off. First class seat sent dead flat and they provide a nice bed cover and duvet. I don't sleep well on planes and I got several solid hours on multiple sectors on CZ, both 787 and A330-200. Watch for cold red wine and warm every other wine and drink but if that the biggest complaint then it's not a major for the price.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Jay Deng (USA)

CZ327, CAN-LAX, 14-hour trip in A380. Typical Asian service with mainly female cabin crew. Traditional uniform and polite service. All efficient with English. Many up-to-date movies and TV channels. Food was okay and not much to complain about. Seats in Economy are never good for long flights. Satisfied with the legroom though. Price is rather competitive, no problems flying CZ again in the future.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by R Sherer (Australia)

Flew CSA from Melbourne, Australia to Guangzhou and also on our return trip from London to Melbourne. We were very satisfied - there was more leg room and the seats were bigger than on many other airlines we have flown with. The planes were new and clean and the service was pleasant. The food was no worse than most airline food but the time between meals was a bit too long. Entertainment system had limited, but adequate English TV shows and movies. I would definitely recommend this airline for long haul flights.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by S Lu (Australia)

I flew from Guangzhou to Sydney on 11th Sept 2014 (CZ301). I was very satisfied with the flight. The entertainment system was great: it had a huge variety of Hollywood films, as well as Chinese and other foreign films. The TV series selection could have been wider. The service was friendly. The seats in Premium Economy were wide and there was plenty of leg room. I booked months in advance, so the flight was cheap. The only thing I didn't like about my flight experience was the fact that all window shades and cabin lights were dimmed even though it was a daytime flight (8.20am departure time).

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by T Giffordmoore (New Zealand)

We flew Heathrow to Guangzhou with an 8 hours stopover, and on to Auckland, New Zealand. Check-in at Heathrow was confusing. After queuing for some time, we were told Business and First class was around the corner in a separate part of the terminal. The VIP lounge was very good. At Guangzhou we were taken from the airbridge side to a small bus and several miles to Business lounge where we cooked at 27 degrees Celsius. Back on the aircraft it was a meal and off to sleep in our lie flat seats. Breakfast time and we were firstly offered butter and jam, I am not sure why as no breads on the menu. we were in the last row of business so that is why we did not always get our first choice and had to settle for something else, not necessarily to our liking. Breakfast arrived and was soup with noodles and meat. This might be alright for Chinese passengers, but if flying Australasian routes why not cater to people from those countries? I think the airline could do better.

My wife and I flew Auckland to Guangzhou and on to Heathrow in July this year in first class and enjoyed the experience. Only 4 seats and 2 cabin staff to look after us.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Goryana Knezevic (Australia)

I travelled with my quadriplegic nephew to Kunming China and our experience on the ground at the airports Kunming and Guangzhou were the worst in all of my travels. My nephew is just under 2 meters tall, in Kunming the wheelchair China Southern provided to get my nephew from the check in desk to the aircraft was too small for him to fit in so he was allowed to use his chair to the door of the aircraft, we had to carry him onboard, and as he is so tall this was extremely difficult. When we got him onto the aircraft the airline staff said they could not check his wheelchair all the way to Sydney, we would have to claim the chair in our transit airport Guangzhou and then re check it in to Sydney. After trying to argue the point for 1 hour and delaying the flight we had to agree as I feared they would not allow us to fly. In Guangzhou we had one of the staff help us, again we had to carry my nephew off the aircraft, put him into a wheelchair that he didn't fit in. The airport was so hot and we had to rush so much to find the chair at baggage collection, go and check the chair in to Sydney and instead of the chair being taken by staff and put on the aircraft we had to wheel the chair with us all the way on to the aircraft and then the staff there put it into the luggage area. The flight was delayed because of us again. I would never travel with them again.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Michael Yang (Hong Kong)

Sep 1st, CZ310 from Beijing to Hong Kong on A320, economy class. It was my first time with China Southern on this route, it satisfied me. The plane had comfortable seats and legroom for a man of average height, which is the most important thing that I am concerned about. A pity is that the entertainment was not so good. Attendants were polite and provided good service during the trip, the food was OK, so as a whole, it was worth it.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Zeng Yixie (China)

Aug 1st, CZ3968 and Aug 3rd, CZ3967. SHA-CSX return, booked the ticket on the day of travel. In premium economy class, China Southern have done surprisingly well. On this 70-minute flight, they provided the warm towel service, beverage service then meal service. They distributed candy before landing. Baggage arrived very fast. Inflight entertainment, on this 1-year old A321, all the premium economy passengers had an individual TV. Cabin crew performed well and kept smiling.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Hyperion Han (USA)

CZ327 from Guangzhou to Los Angels, economy class, in last month. It was a satisfactory trip. The A380 is a pretty good plane with comfortable seats. One thing that impressed me was that when I got hungry during the flight I told one staff member that I wanted to buy some food. Even though she told me that there was no additional food for sale, she gave me some cookies for free. Many latest Chinese movies can be found on the plane, which made my long trip less boring. It disappointed me a bit as the food was not that good.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by A Jenkins (USA)

We flew the new JFK-CAN route, then transferred to a Beijing flight. It was the worst airline I've experienced. Incompetent and unprofessional ground crew who have zero problem solving skills. Sour-faced service from the flight attendants, their English skills were inexcusably bad. The food was awful, it wasn't served frequently enough, they were stingy with drinks. The transit experience in CAN (Baiyun) is long and uncomfortable. On the return trip it was late at night. We had to walk for 20 minutes. The "free" shuttle wasn't running. There was no one around to help. I strongly suggest that the elderly and disabled avoid this airline. Once you make it through all the immigration and security checks, you are stuck in a tacky area with limited food and drinks and extortionate prices which are completely out of line with what other "international" transit terminals charge. The only positives: decent in-flight entertainment, the plane was new; the landings for the international segments were very smooth.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2014 by Gao Ruiting (France)

CZ347 Business class from Guangzhou to Paris. This recent flight is one of the most satisfactory international trips both in terms of the service and the facilities. I chose this flight because it was not that expensive. Plenty of choices of beverages and meals. The legroom is sufficient for a good rest which is important for a long journey. The only pity is that the entertainment didn't come up to expectations. But as a whole, it is worth it.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by M Schaap (New Zealand)

CZ336, CZ307, CZ308, CZ335. 19-20 May 2014 and 17 19 June 2014. The most disappointing and awful flights ever experienced in all my travelling years! Flew return from mid May - mid June 2014 from Auckland via Guangzhou to Amsterdam. Leg room was for midgets, am only 5ft 7 and felt my knees were under my chin. The flight staff were very unfriendly, always cross looking, never saw a smile! Their English is almost non-existent. When kindly asked what the 2 food types were for dinner - the stewardess shoved a tray at me saying "Western food". The Canadian man next to me was equally appalled! Wine was not offered and when asked for, a 'hint' was poured in a small glass. Sadly one would like to have it with a meal which only arrived half an hour later. The TV/Movies did not work on 2 of the 4 flights - 12hrs each! Guangzhou Airport is very disappointing, old, dilapidated with unfriendly staff everywhere. Shops, seating, dirty, no wifi. Impression gained that furniture etc was obtained from other old airports that had been updated. Sadly this is a case of 'you get what you pay for'. I did my homework before I bought the ticket and read that China Southern wanted to break into the Western market. I felt confident that it would be good, sadly it was terrible. Have since spoken with 3 other people whom will never fly with it again for the same reasons. It helps to pay extra and fly via decent airports. Interesting enough - Auckland Airport has Chinese instructions everywhere and on NZ flights etc. No English instructions on China Southern airlines or at Guangzhou airport. Only one positive - great price!

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  19 August 2014 by Yang Xi (New Zealand)

CZ306, 7 June, from Auckland, NZ to Guangzhou, then CZ305, 17th July, back to Auckland. The service of flight attendants was superb and entertainment was good and had plenty of choices. Seat could be improved as I am taller than average.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  14 August 2014 by Alan Gurevich (USA)

First Class on a 787 from Guangzhou to Vancouver. Airport check-in was good. The China Southern Lounge is far below the standard for 4 star airlines. It is very small, and only has tables and chairs. There is food available, including 2 freshly made hot dishes to order. The beverages are average. This is not to say that it is not comfortable, and there is wif-fi. But compared to what I would consider 4-star "standard", such as ANA, United, etc., is does not come near that. There is only one row of First Class seating on the 787, and the seats were semi-pod. They did go fully flat and were comfortable for sleeping, though if you are over 6 ft. tall you might find them a bit short. In the non-bed position they were comfortable, though they do not really have foot rests - the leg rests stop mid-calf. There is a small shelf at the far end of the pod that does work, so I would say the seating is quite adequate. VOD was, in my opinion, quite good, with a large selection of Hollywood, European, Asian, and Chinese films, and lots of TV, music, and games options. The only negative is that the screen is fixed at the opposite end of the pod from the seat, so it's a bit far away. The English proficiency of the cabin staff is not great, so asking for anything that isn't in a narrow band of expectations can lead to confusion, or your not getting what you wanted. This was as basic, in my case, as asking if they had any type of drinks beside red and white wine. Ends up they did, but it took the purser to recognize my request. She then provided an extensive list of the drinks available on board, which was very good. The food was good as well - no complaints. The staff was also quite attentive and ready to please. If you care about the sleeping suit, I found it sized quite small. Overall a good experience which I would recommend and repeat, if the routing called for it.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  14 August 2014 by Peters Christine (New Zealand)

I travelled via Guangzhou to London this month in Business Class and had the most fantastic trip. Lots of room, good food with lots of fruit and great service from very attentive hostesses. I could not have been more happy with the service and the flight which was considerably cheaper than other airlines. The whole journey including the obvious experience of the pilots, check in, immigration and being able to have a shower in the Business lounge complex in transit was fantastic. I will definitely be booking my flights with China Southern in the future as it was a wonderful beginning and ending to my holiday.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  14 August 2014 by M Drubetsky (Australia)

I am writing this review in the terminal for a flight from Guangzhou to Shanghai. Initially the flight was delayed for an hour, without any reason given. We boarded the plane and then disembarked back into the terminal 20 minutes later. Still no reason was given. So now all the passengers of flight CZ3547 China Southern Airlines are sitting in the terminal with no idea if this flight will ever leave. For my first flight with this company it has been appalling and I would definitely not recommend it to anyone.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Jens Kronau (Germany)

CZ348, July 19th. CZ347, July 27th. I flew Guangzhou-Paris and back in July 2014, economy class. On both flights the IFE haven't been working to half of the passengers, the food was horrible, with the exception of one steward, nobody spoke English and nobody was able to help with the broken IFE. I apologize to Lufthansa and Air France for all my previous criticisms.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  7 August 2014 by Raymond Xie (Australia)

Flew CZ302, 12 July then 21st July, CZ307 back to Guangzhou, 1st August, CZ 308 business class They are all reasonable new aircraft's A330 with 180 degree flat beds, welcome champagne available by request. The service was superb and inflight entertainment was more than enough to cover my 3 long haul flights. Multi language flight attendants are an extra bonus. Food has improved.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by R Singletary (USA)

CZ6347, 23 May 2014. DLC-XIY was a rather good experience. Because the flight was short there was of course no in- flight entertainment system but as I checked in with a group they seemed to be rather efficient in getting everyone on their way. Communicating with the staff in English was also quite easy which I didn't expect so much on a domestic flight in China but was glad to not have that problem.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by J Tam Sin (Maritius)

Mauritius-Shenzhen-Mauritius in business class. This is a new route and was my first time flying with a Chinese carrier. I consider this trip very good value. The aircraft was young and the product in business class is very nice. I slept well during the night. Tried Chinese food served on board, they have a wonderful soup in canton style before the main course. Shenzhen airport also has a brand new terminal, very large and modern with a lot of shops and restaurants. All staff at the check-in counter were attentive and helpful. I will definitely fly with them again.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Drever Doug (Australia)

Brisbane to Guangzhou, Guangzhou to Amsterdam, in April 2014, returning after 7 weeks away travelling Guangzhou back to Brisbane. My wife and I couldn't rate it higher. The plane seemed new, seats good, reservation of seats were made early and honoured when checking in. Staff were excellent. Meals were nice and plentiful. We did find the air-conditioning a little hot. This probably is hard to get right as some may prefer the warmth. The aircraft was full on all sectors and we were surprised by the lack of Australians travelling. English isn't the first language of the crew, and for some crew it may not be one that they understand well. But that wasn't a barrier as our command of China's languages is zero. We had a smile when offered pasta for breakfast coming in to Brisbane. To our surprise it was a lovely warm omelette, hash brown, sausage etc. If this lack of English would offend some travellers then maybe they shouldn't travel at all. Our meals were lovely, with fruit fresh. We enjoyed any little surprise because both we and the staff didn't always communicate well. The transit in Guangzhou of 7 hours was long on our trip to Amsterdam, but this isn't a fault of the airline. Guangzhou Airport has a place where you can get free hot water. If you have tea bags or coffee you can fill up your thermos and have a hot drink as often as you want. It saves on high hot drink prices at the airport. We were surprised how popular this hot water dispenser was and so well used during our transit time. I hope your China Southern journey mirrors our experience.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Bromfield John (Australia)

Return flights Heathrow to Guangzhou, CZ0304 on 25/6/2014. Guangzhou to Sydney, CZ0325, 26/6/2014. My wife and I found it excellent. Stops were only 1 each way and very short, I will certainly travel with them again. I am a regular traveller overseas and found the service equal to any other airline on which we have travelled.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Zhou Chuanxiang (Australia)

BNE-CAN, 5 Dec 2013. CAN-BNE, 1 Jan 2014. CZ381/382. The plane was very modern and the seats were very comfortable. The inflight entertainment was alright with enough movies to watch for 9 hours. The food is what you'd expect from economy class. The overall experience is positive as there was a smooth connection to domestic flight which was a nice time to get some sleep. Mixture of Chinese and Western passengers. CZ canton route seems very popular and it's not hard to find out why. Hard product 10/10.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Mark Do (New Zealand)

KIX-CAN with Airbus 320 and CAN-AKL with B787 Dreamliner both on economy class. There was no individual entertainment screen for the first leg from Osaka to Guangzhou. I was so bored during the 4 hour flight. The food was incredibly bad. The second leg on a B787 was a little better. B787 is a wonderful aircraft. The plane was clean and new, but the seat and legroom was very cramped. The entertainment programs were very poor, the sound system sometimes didn't work. Meals were small and still awful. The crew were friendly enough, but their English ability was pretty limited. I will avoid this so-called 4 star airlines in the future if I can.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Sergio Mellon (USA)

7/1/2014, CZ327. Guangzhou to Los Angeles. The service was great. Most staff were courteous and friendly with good English language skills. The seat was comfortable and there were a variety of security equipment. Moreover, most of the food tasted good (choice of Chinese dish and a lot of drinks). One possible drawback was the entertainment, which was not so rich. Strongly recommended.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  16 July 2014 by V Sklyankin (Australia)

Flew Sydney - Guangzhou - Bangkok - Guangzhou - Sydney in June-July 2014. The aircraft on Sydney - Guangzhou - Sydney was almost brand new with excellent in-flight entertainment. The food, though was not just terrible, it was offensive. On return leg to Sydney I ended up with munching on Cup-A-Noodle soup and chocolates purchased in BKK following my experience with in-flight meal on my leg to Guangzhou. There are no snacks on the plane. When asked for a snack, the stewardess offered me a bread roll from someone else's meal. The staff are extremely rude and ineffective with very basic English skills. They gather at the galley to have a cosy chit-chat, and if interrupted, you are offered an "evil look" and then they pretend not to understand your request. The beverages? You are lucky if you get flat Coke and a quarter of a cup of wine, which I believe is limited to a bottle per flight, or so I was told by the crew. I certainly wouldn't rate this airline as "fool service" airline. It's a budget carrier with an urgent need for staff training. My trip CAN-BKK-CAN was even worse because the airplane looked and felt like a first generation of jets with the added "benefits" of meals literally offensive to both look and smell and served by rude staff. Of course, a note on on-line check in. If someone has any success to solve this constantly crushing puzzle, please, provide instructions in your review for others to use. To be honest the tickets were very cheap, though. Yet it's not the case of "you get what you pay for".

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Harold John (New Zealand)

Travelled from Auckland NZ to Paris 1/6/14 Business Class. This was an excellent flight, good service, good range of food. They could extend the range of wine available. This was not a problem as we seldom have wine on a flight. The rest rooms were clean and serviced throughout the flight. As we had a long stop over between connecting flights in Guangzhou we were put up in a 5 star Pullmans Hotel with breakfast provided. We were met by a young man who guided us through immigration etc and through the large airport to our hotel by the airport. He showed us where our departure lounge was for that evening. This was a great service and added to a very pleasant and stress free flight. Will be looking for opportunities to fly with them again.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by C Denson (UK)

Flew Guilin to Chengdu. New comfortable plane. Lots of legroom. Cabin crew very friendly. Nice hot meal with two choices of menu served even though it was a short flight. Just before take-off there was a massive thunderstorm right over the airport but the pilot skirted the clouds and we had a smooth flight. Very pleasant experience.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by J Liam (Australia)

Outbound: 18/06/2014, CZ326 and CZ3067. Return: 26/06/2014, CZ3068 and CZ301. Flew from Sydney to Kathmandu with a stopover in Guangzhou then back from Kathmandu to Sydney again with a stopover in Guangzhou. Flight to Kathmandu was great. But the return flight was delayed then cancelled, so I had to spend another night in Kathmandu, and I had to share a hotel room with a stranger. Our next flight was then delayed as well. Then, due to the cancellation, I missed my connecting flight and so, had to spend a night in Guangzhou. We arrived at the motel at midnight and had to leave at 5am the next morning. Then when I finally got my connecting flight, they didn't have a vegetarian meal for me there either. At least I got two pieces of fruit and a golf ball sized bread roll.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by J Solomkin (USA)

Flew DLC-PEK and then PEK-AMS, both in business. This was a mistake. The aircraft are dirty. Both not picked up or even vacuumed. Everything, trays, seat backs, needs to be washed. The food, particularly on the long haul, was a bowl of rice dumped upside down onto a plate, a few steamed vegetables, and fried little bits of something I was told was fish. The IFE was minimalist. Amazing that "New Releases" and "Hollywood/Europe" were the same 8 movies. The seats are OK. Lie flat, but I felt like I was on a park bench. with little padding.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by C Blomfield (New Zealand)

Auckland-Guangzhou-Heathrow-Dublin and returned Paris-Guangzhou-Auckland. This was our second return flight with China Southern as we had enjoyed our previous experience two years before and the price was again very competitive. This time we were in a 787 Dreamliner for three legs. This is a wonderful plane with better pressure and more fresh air. There were many large screens in the cabin showing where we were flying over (Russia and China on the second leg) where previously this was not shown. We had individual screens for our entertainment. Instead of just two adult films in English there were numerous recent box office films and TV shows. Gone were the strange Chinese isometric exercises before landing. The hostesses were professional and polite but still with little understanding of English or non Asian cuisine. Half the menu is European food. For our 18 hour wait on our return at Guangzhou airport we were again put in the Pullman just across the road from the airport at their expense. Altogether my husband and I had an excellent return trip.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Chris Lim (Australia)

My wife and I flew with China Southern Airlines from Sydney to Guangzhou on 8 June 2014 then transit to Kunming. The luggage was checked in direct to Kunming without hassle in Sydney and arrived in Kunming safely. The flight was good, the cabin crew were pleasant and helpful. From Kunming we flew to Changsha on 16 June and finally from Chongqing via Guangzhou on 26 June back to Sydney. The same pleasant experience throughout and check in was also quick and efficient despite of multiple luggage collected throughout the trip. We would definitely fly again with this airline in the future.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Liang Zhong (China)

CZ332 from Frankfurt to Guangzhou on June 24th. In general, the service is above average. The staff are polite and professional. The seat is comfortable for long-distance flight. I am satisfied with the service.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Judi Parker (Australia)

On the +ve side: We obtained without difficulty, transit visas, temporary accommodation and ground transport in Guangzhou for our forced 17 hour stop over. Found all ground crew and flight crew to be courteous, efficient and equal to any other well regarded international carriers that we have used. All flights were on time and the service equal to or better than most other airlines. Leg space (in Economy) was noticeably larger than any we have experienced, domestically or internationally, over the last 10 years. The cleanliness of the toilets and public areas of Guangzhou airport, we found to be no different to Melbourne, Fiumicino Rome or Paris CDG. On the -ve side: The numerous changes to our itinerary was, in our view, so unacceptably disruptive, we consequently will never fly China Southern again. We made our original reservation August 2013, 8 months before initial departure. Subjected to at least 3 minor changes to our itinerary and then cancellations of both our forward and return journeys. 3 months after our initial reservation our return journey was cancelled. 5 months after our initial reservation, our forward journey was cancelled. The minor changes were not particularly significant and were related, I believe, to small adjustments for daylight saving between different time zones. However, given that we had paid our full fare at the time of booking 8 months before departure, the complete cancellations were intolerable. For our forward journey: Melb-Guangzhou-Paris in mid April, our flight was changed from an am to a late pm departure. This meant a need (and cost to us) to cancel and rebook our flight from Tasmania, and cancel our Melbourne accommodation. This forced change also included a 17 hours stop over in Guangzhou. Unfortunately, despite being given by the airlines, accommodation where we could lie down, it just wasn't useful for catching up on sleep. Arrived in Paris one full day later than we originally planned. The cancellation of our return journey meant the change of departure to one day later than originally scheduled, meant we were forced to stay one day more than originally planned.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by R Wang (Canada)

I took the flight CZ329 from Guangzhou to Vancouver about 2 months ago. A really pleasant experience in general. Departure on time and arrived actually a little bit earlier than scheduled. The staff are nice and helpful, and most importantly, they speak both Chinese and English fluently. You can always expect your requirements satisfied, reasonable requirements of course. Provides several meals, not bad, compared with other airlines. A little bit cold, however, in the cabin, remember to bring one more piece of clothes with you. Overall satisfied with the experience, will choose again in the future.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Rajagopal Akila (Singapore)

Return trip to Singapore-Los Angeles via Guangzhou. I primarily chose this airline for the amazingly low prices they offered. I flew economy. I was wary but to my surprise, I did have a pleasant flight. Its was very neat A380 Airbus and very clean toilets. The seats were comfortable and at my request they did manage to find the aisle seat. Good range of movies as part of inflight entertainment. Staff and crew were kind. No issues during onward journey. But only the return trip was in such a time that we were boarding past midnight and the staff just skimmed through the rows without really asking every passenger what drink they cared to have. If your a vegetarian or vegan the food could be a let down but I did manage to carry on my meals so no issues there. I will definitely choose to fly this airline again.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Lloyd William (New Zealand)

My Wife and I flew Auckland to Heathrow Via Guangzhou on 8th and 9th June on 787 Dreamliners and we were really pleased with the experience, comfort and food. We found the seats good, but we were in them for 2 lots of 12 hours. We found the staff all attentive and did their best to understand our requests. We came off the plane feeling better than expected and not so dehydrated as previous longhaul flights. We fly back on July 14th on CZ 304/305 and look forward to a good experience again.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Mountford Alan (Australia)

Travelled from Brisbane to Amsterdam with my wife and 2 children, after reading all the negative comments was a bit concerned about using China Southern, but I can honestly say we had no problems, check in was fast, the seating on the A330 was great lots of leg room, good choice of entertainment. The meals were what you would expect of any airline food, I have in the last month travelled to London on a major European airline, and except for the crew speaking English, and the meals being western I could not see any major difference, over all a very pleasant experience. If there was one complaint it would be the airport in Guangzhou, very expensive to eat there.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax