China Southern Airlines Customer Reviews and Passenger Trip Reports

4 Star Airline

a World 4-Star Airline

China Southern Airlines
2.5 Star Rating: Average

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Drever Doug (Australia)

Brisbane to Guangzhou, Guangzhou to Amsterdam, in April 2014, returning after 7 weeks away travelling Guangzhou back to Brisbane. My wife and I couldn't rate it higher. The plane seemed new, seats good, reservation of seats were made early and honoured when checking in. Staff were excellent. Meals were nice and plentiful. We did find the air-conditioning a little hot. This probably is hard to get right as some may prefer the warmth. The aircraft was full on all sectors and we were surprised by the lack of Australians travelling. English isn't the first language of the crew, and for some crew it may not be one that they understand well. But that wasn't a barrier as our command of China's languages is zero. We had a smile when offered pasta for breakfast coming in to Brisbane. To our surprise it was a lovely warm omelette, hash brown, sausage etc. If this lack of English would offend some travellers then maybe they shouldn't travel at all. Our meals were lovely, with fruit fresh. We enjoyed any little surprise because both we and the staff didn't always communicate well. The transit in Guangzhou of 7 hours was long on our trip to Amsterdam, but this isn't a fault of the airline. Guangzhou Airport has a place where you can get free hot water. If you have tea bags or coffee you can fill up your thermos and have a hot drink as often as you want. It saves on high hot drink prices at the airport. We were surprised how popular this hot water dispenser was and so well used during our transit time. I hope your China Southern journey mirrors our experience.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Bromfield John (Australia)

Return flights Heathrow to Guangzhou, CZ0304 on 25/6/2014. Guangzhou to Sydney, CZ0325, 26/6/2014. My wife and I found it excellent. Stops were only 1 each way and very short, I will certainly travel with them again. I am a regular traveller overseas and found the service equal to any other airline on which we have travelled.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Zhou Chuanxiang (Australia)

BNE-CAN, 5 Dec 2013. CAN-BNE, 1 Jan 2014. CZ381/382. The plane was very modern and the seats were very comfortable. The inflight entertainment was alright with enough movies to watch for 9 hours. The food is what you'd expect from economy class. The overall experience is positive as there was a smooth connection to domestic flight which was a nice time to get some sleep. Mixture of Chinese and Western passengers. CZ canton route seems very popular and it's not hard to find out why. Hard product 10/10.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Mark Do (New Zealand)

KIX-CAN with Airbus 320 and CAN-AKL with B787 Dreamliner both on economy class. There was no individual entertainment screen for the first leg from Osaka to Guangzhou. I was so bored during the 4 hour flight. The food was incredibly bad. The second leg on a B787 was a little better. B787 is a wonderful aircraft. The plane was clean and new, but the seat and legroom was very cramped. The entertainment programs were very poor, the sound system sometimes didn't work. Meals were small and still awful. The crew were friendly enough, but their English ability was pretty limited. I will avoid this so-called 4 star airlines in the future if I can.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Sergio Mellon (USA)

7/1/2014, CZ327. Guangzhou to Los Angeles. The service was great. Most staff were courteous and friendly with good English language skills. The seat was comfortable and there were a variety of security equipment. Moreover, most of the food tasted good (choice of Chinese dish and a lot of drinks). One possible drawback was the entertainment, which was not so rich. Strongly recommended.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  16 July 2014 by V Sklyankin (Australia)

Flew Sydney - Guangzhou - Bangkok - Guangzhou - Sydney in June-July 2014. The aircraft on Sydney - Guangzhou - Sydney was almost brand new with excellent in-flight entertainment. The food, though was not just terrible, it was offensive. On return leg to Sydney I ended up with munching on Cup-A-Noodle soup and chocolates purchased in BKK following my experience with in-flight meal on my leg to Guangzhou. There are no snacks on the plane. When asked for a snack, the stewardess offered me a bread roll from someone else's meal. The staff are extremely rude and ineffective with very basic English skills. They gather at the galley to have a cosy chit-chat, and if interrupted, you are offered an "evil look" and then they pretend not to understand your request. The beverages? You are lucky if you get flat Coke and a quarter of a cup of wine, which I believe is limited to a bottle per flight, or so I was told by the crew. I certainly wouldn't rate this airline as "fool service" airline. It's a budget carrier with an urgent need for staff training. My trip CAN-BKK-CAN was even worse because the airplane looked and felt like a first generation of jets with the added "benefits" of meals literally offensive to both look and smell and served by rude staff. Of course, a note on on-line check in. If someone has any success to solve this constantly crushing puzzle, please, provide instructions in your review for others to use. To be honest the tickets were very cheap, though. Yet it's not the case of "you get what you pay for".

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Harold John (New Zealand)

Travelled from Auckland NZ to Paris 1/6/14 Business Class. This was an excellent flight, good service, good range of food. They could extend the range of wine available. This was not a problem as we seldom have wine on a flight. The rest rooms were clean and serviced throughout the flight. As we had a long stop over between connecting flights in Guangzhou we were put up in a 5 star Pullmans Hotel with breakfast provided. We were met by a young man who guided us through immigration etc and through the large airport to our hotel by the airport. He showed us where our departure lounge was for that evening. This was a great service and added to a very pleasant and stress free flight. Will be looking for opportunities to fly with them again.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by C Denson (UK)

Flew Guilin to Chengdu. New comfortable plane. Lots of legroom. Cabin crew very friendly. Nice hot meal with two choices of menu served even though it was a short flight. Just before take-off there was a massive thunderstorm right over the airport but the pilot skirted the clouds and we had a smooth flight. Very pleasant experience.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by J Liam (Australia)

Outbound: 18/06/2014, CZ326 and CZ3067. Return: 26/06/2014, CZ3068 and CZ301. Flew from Sydney to Kathmandu with a stopover in Guangzhou then back from Kathmandu to Sydney again with a stopover in Guangzhou. Flight to Kathmandu was great. But the return flight was delayed then cancelled, so I had to spend another night in Kathmandu, and I had to share a hotel room with a stranger. Our next flight was then delayed as well. Then, due to the cancellation, I missed my connecting flight and so, had to spend a night in Guangzhou. We arrived at the motel at midnight and had to leave at 5am the next morning. Then when I finally got my connecting flight, they didn't have a vegetarian meal for me there either. At least I got two pieces of fruit and a golf ball sized bread roll.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by J Solomkin (USA)

Flew DLC-PEK and then PEK-AMS, both in business. This was a mistake. The aircraft are dirty. Both not picked up or even vacuumed. Everything, trays, seat backs, needs to be washed. The food, particularly on the long haul, was a bowl of rice dumped upside down onto a plate, a few steamed vegetables, and fried little bits of something I was told was fish. The IFE was minimalist. Amazing that "New Releases" and "Hollywood/Europe" were the same 8 movies. The seats are OK. Lie flat, but I felt like I was on a park bench. with little padding.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by C Blomfield (New Zealand)

Auckland-Guangzhou-Heathrow-Dublin and returned Paris-Guangzhou-Auckland. This was our second return flight with China Southern as we had enjoyed our previous experience two years before and the price was again very competitive. This time we were in a 787 Dreamliner for three legs. This is a wonderful plane with better pressure and more fresh air. There were many large screens in the cabin showing where we were flying over (Russia and China on the second leg) where previously this was not shown. We had individual screens for our entertainment. Instead of just two adult films in English there were numerous recent box office films and TV shows. Gone were the strange Chinese isometric exercises before landing. The hostesses were professional and polite but still with little understanding of English or non Asian cuisine. Half the menu is European food. For our 18 hour wait on our return at Guangzhou airport we were again put in the Pullman just across the road from the airport at their expense. Altogether my husband and I had an excellent return trip.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Chris Lim (Australia)

My wife and I flew with China Southern Airlines from Sydney to Guangzhou on 8 June 2014 then transit to Kunming. The luggage was checked in direct to Kunming without hassle in Sydney and arrived in Kunming safely. The flight was good, the cabin crew were pleasant and helpful. From Kunming we flew to Changsha on 16 June and finally from Chongqing via Guangzhou on 26 June back to Sydney. The same pleasant experience throughout and check in was also quick and efficient despite of multiple luggage collected throughout the trip. We would definitely fly again with this airline in the future.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2014 by Liang Zhong (China)

CZ332 from Frankfurt to Guangzhou on June 24th. In general, the service is above average. The staff are polite and professional. The seat is comfortable for long-distance flight. I am satisfied with the service.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Judi Parker (Australia)

On the +ve side: We obtained without difficulty, transit visas, temporary accommodation and ground transport in Guangzhou for our forced 17 hour stop over. Found all ground crew and flight crew to be courteous, efficient and equal to any other well regarded international carriers that we have used. All flights were on time and the service equal to or better than most other airlines. Leg space (in Economy) was noticeably larger than any we have experienced, domestically or internationally, over the last 10 years. The cleanliness of the toilets and public areas of Guangzhou airport, we found to be no different to Melbourne, Fiumicino Rome or Paris CDG. On the -ve side: The numerous changes to our itinerary was, in our view, so unacceptably disruptive, we consequently will never fly China Southern again. We made our original reservation August 2013, 8 months before initial departure. Subjected to at least 3 minor changes to our itinerary and then cancellations of both our forward and return journeys. 3 months after our initial reservation our return journey was cancelled. 5 months after our initial reservation, our forward journey was cancelled. The minor changes were not particularly significant and were related, I believe, to small adjustments for daylight saving between different time zones. However, given that we had paid our full fare at the time of booking 8 months before departure, the complete cancellations were intolerable. For our forward journey: Melb-Guangzhou-Paris in mid April, our flight was changed from an am to a late pm departure. This meant a need (and cost to us) to cancel and rebook our flight from Tasmania, and cancel our Melbourne accommodation. This forced change also included a 17 hours stop over in Guangzhou. Unfortunately, despite being given by the airlines, accommodation where we could lie down, it just wasn't useful for catching up on sleep. Arrived in Paris one full day later than we originally planned. The cancellation of our return journey meant the change of departure to one day later than originally scheduled, meant we were forced to stay one day more than originally planned.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by R Wang (Canada)

I took the flight CZ329 from Guangzhou to Vancouver about 2 months ago. A really pleasant experience in general. Departure on time and arrived actually a little bit earlier than scheduled. The staff are nice and helpful, and most importantly, they speak both Chinese and English fluently. You can always expect your requirements satisfied, reasonable requirements of course. Provides several meals, not bad, compared with other airlines. A little bit cold, however, in the cabin, remember to bring one more piece of clothes with you. Overall satisfied with the experience, will choose again in the future.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Rajagopal Akila (Singapore)

Return trip to Singapore-Los Angeles via Guangzhou. I primarily chose this airline for the amazingly low prices they offered. I flew economy. I was wary but to my surprise, I did have a pleasant flight. Its was very neat A380 Airbus and very clean toilets. The seats were comfortable and at my request they did manage to find the aisle seat. Good range of movies as part of inflight entertainment. Staff and crew were kind. No issues during onward journey. But only the return trip was in such a time that we were boarding past midnight and the staff just skimmed through the rows without really asking every passenger what drink they cared to have. If your a vegetarian or vegan the food could be a let down but I did manage to carry on my meals so no issues there. I will definitely choose to fly this airline again.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Lloyd William (New Zealand)

My Wife and I flew Auckland to Heathrow Via Guangzhou on 8th and 9th June on 787 Dreamliners and we were really pleased with the experience, comfort and food. We found the seats good, but we were in them for 2 lots of 12 hours. We found the staff all attentive and did their best to understand our requests. We came off the plane feeling better than expected and not so dehydrated as previous longhaul flights. We fly back on July 14th on CZ 304/305 and look forward to a good experience again.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Mountford Alan (Australia)

Travelled from Brisbane to Amsterdam with my wife and 2 children, after reading all the negative comments was a bit concerned about using China Southern, but I can honestly say we had no problems, check in was fast, the seating on the A330 was great lots of leg room, good choice of entertainment. The meals were what you would expect of any airline food, I have in the last month travelled to London on a major European airline, and except for the crew speaking English, and the meals being western I could not see any major difference, over all a very pleasant experience. If there was one complaint it would be the airport in Guangzhou, very expensive to eat there.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax