China Southern Airlines Customer Reviews and Passenger Trip Reports

4 Star Airline

a World 4-Star Airline

China Southern Airlines
2.5 Star Rating: Average

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by A Lim (New Zealand)

Flew Auckland to Guangzhou and return in the past week. The in-flight service was terrible on the way back to New Zealand and services were carried out without a single smile from any of the cabin crew. All the cabin crew had minimal English and were abrupt and inclined to give passengers any meal or drink irrespective of what was requested. They made assumptions that just because we spoke English, we would therefore have an English meal. A smile would go a long way. Snacks were seen down in the kitchen area of the plane but we did not once have any of this offered. Hygiene standards questionable. When I went down to the back of the plane for a stretch and to ask for a glass of water, I was ignored. Another hostess on her return trip back to that area answered my request once I caught her eye but all done without any eye contact or smile or any verbal exchange. Would not fly this airline again. For an international airline one would expect a better level of English language. At the end of the flight only one cabin crew in sight at the aircraft door and she was busy doing things so even if one wished to say thank you there was no one to say it to.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by L Jenkins (UK)

Impressed. For economy class, felt this was comparable with Singapore. New planes, good individual entertainment systems. Flew London to Sydney. Can't see the point paying extra in the future to fly with anyone else.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by Richard Wong (Australia)

I was travelling from Amsterdam to Guangzhou on CZ308. The flight was smooth, the entertainment unit was very good and always available and the food selection was reasonable. We were told because of severe storms at Guangzhou, the plane would be diverted to Shenzhen and we would soon be given instructions. I thought this was a reasonable idea as quite possibly we would be able to catch a train to Guangzhou saving time or at least be let off the plane and have a stretch after such a long flight inside the airport terminal. Little did I know that we would have to wait an arduous 6.5 hours in the plane itself with barely any information relayed to us after about 1/2 an hour. This was most unsatisfactory and inconsiderate. What didn't help either was that the air stewards' English was as bad as my Chinese with any queries in English not understood replied to with a "What?". I hope this extremely long wait is not a recurring event for any airline.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by Davoren Brian (Australia)

Travelled in Business Class, Guangzhou to Sydney, the seats are comfortable, good range of movies to select, food and drinks very good and good service.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by G Ritchie (UK)

LHR-CAN-MEL/SYD-CAN-LHR (22 March - 6 April 2014). 787 aircraft seating was a little more cramped than the A330-300. The seat pocket is low and therefore equates to less leg room. The seat was also narrower than the A330. All aircraft were fitted with adequate entertainment systems (on demand movies, your own screen, etc). Staff were competent. English is not fluent for most but they are eager to assist and did understand all of our requests. In my experience this is consistent with airlines such as Qatar and Emirates. The food was regular and very tasty. All flights were on time or early. Guangzhou Airport is basic. You cannot buy your way into a lounge. There were 2 lounges for frequent flyers only. Overall my wife and I found the experience in Economy comparable with 5 star carriers who we have flown frequently in the past 4 years. We chose China Southern for our flights to Australia due to the price difference. Provided China Southern continue to undercut the competition, I will always fly with them.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by Wayne Zhou (Canada)

CZ3189 from Shenzhen to Beijing on April 2nd. The weather in Shenzhen was terrible. I was told the flight would be delayed for almost 4 hours. Fortunately, while I was staying in the lounge, the ground staff were very patient and nice. They kept me informed of the latest information on my flight every half hour until take off. Although my flight was delayed, I believe I still will choose China Southern next time.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by I Majoli (UK)

CZ304, London to Guangzhou, Business class. Staff very friendly, attentive and helpful. Our seats 14 K and H were not reclining so we changed to 14 G and D which were reclining but a bit loose as they were happily swinging. Our TV screens were not working. Stop in Guangzhou, wait in the lounge. Ok but if you are vegetarian, no much to eat. We had a refreshing shower. Boarding next flight, CZ305 to Auckland, Business class. From the start, a strong argument in Chinese with a lady economy class passenger. 4 economy passengers were seated in business class for take off, after which two of them refused to move. Finally they were sent back to economy class. Curtains do not work. All the flight through, economy class passengers were strolling through business class, talking loudly. My seat 14A was not reclining so I had to move seat again. The food was good for my husband and for me (vegetarian option), friendly staff. But at one time, our crew member apologised as she was called to help in economy class. Landing in Auckland. Already the huge wave of economy class passengers were rushing through the curtains and was contained by two ladies cabin crew. Luggage collection: We should have got our luggage in priority being business class passengers. Our luggage were the last ones to arrive. It was a very unpleasant experience, with many passengers pushing through and piling their numerous pieces of luggage next to you. We have to travel back in two weeks time. Hope that the trip will be more pleasant and of a better quality. On the good side, the planes are new and the pilots excellent.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2014 by Jasmine Lufti (UK)

Heathrow to Bangkok, Thailand via Guangzhou, China. I was pleasantly surprised about how great the flight was both ways. We flew a Boeing 787, economy seats. We were provided with a blanket, soft pillow and headphones for the in- flight entertainment system and the seats were comfy. On the way out my boyfriend, who is 6ft, did not mind the amount of leg room (although we cheekily asked the China Southern check in rep to book us in the seats with more legroom just before the start of first class on the way back, which was excellent as we could fully stretch out). We were fed twice on each 12 hour leg of the journey. We were also offered plenty of drinks and were given snacks by the cabin crew, who were all Chinese, polite and spoke good English. My only disappointment on the way out was that my entertainment screen was broken, but instead of asking to be moved I just shared my boyfriend's screen as there were two headphone sockets. There was plenty of choice of new, classic, Asian, etc movies, music, games and so on to keep us occupied. In comparison to other long haul flights I've taken, the seat belt signs did go on quite a bit due to mild turbulence, but I appreciate being safe than sorry! Lastly the toilets were fine and clean, the connecting flights were fine (received another meal then) and the ground crew were helpful at Guangzhou. All in all, I had no problem with this airline.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  29 March 2014 by Harry Clark (UK)

LHR-CAN-LHR. Brand new Boeing 787, very modern and clean. The price for a full service airlines flight was by far the cheapest and most valuable. For this rate, I was happy that it's a safe and comfortable flight and anything on top of that was a plus. The inflight entertainment, catering and communication were average but if you wish to pay more for movies, gourmet food and native English, then CZ isn't your choice.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by R Stanton (New Zealand)

Very attentive staff, easy to communicate with. Nice comfortable reclining seat and the food was ok. Flying from Auckland to Moscow via Guangzhou. When I arrived at Guangzhou an airline staff member met me and offered me hotel accommodation as I had a long wait over. I had not asked for this. He then guided me through customs. I have never had that level of service before on any airline! The seats on the 787 were very nice and the entertainment section was fine. The staff were using English as their second language, and possibly third, so one must expect some less than perfect communication. I hope the return journey is going to be as good.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  19 March 2014 by Laura Humphries (USA)

14th March, flight number CZ327. Flew from Guangzhou to Los Angeles on 330-200 for a business trip. Good facilities at the airport, very kind and helpful staff, good baggage allowance. No delays. The seat on this plane was comfortable. They could do better on the food and entertainment.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by Dave McCormick (Canada)

Oct 12/13, YVR-CAN, flight CZ330. Oct 13/13, CAN-KTM, flight CZ3067. Nov 17/13, KTM-CAN, flight CZ3068. Nov 18/13, CAN-YVR, flight CZ329. I flew from Vancouver to Guangzhou to Kathmandu and back in Oct/Nov 2013.Flights were on time, I liked the food, my luggage arrived, the cost was better than the competition, the plane was clean, the staff helpful, including office staff in Kathmandu where we had to change our flights. Can't really ask for more than that. The only possibly negative thing I could mention is the 8-hour layover in Guangzhou connecting from our flight from KTM to our flight to YVR. Guangzhou airport isn't all that interesting for an extended wait. However, things like that can't be helped.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  13 March 2014 by Ingrid Davies (Canada)

Our flight to China from Vancouver was far below an acceptable level. The televisions didn't work, staff were less than helpful and not once did they come around to collect trash. Passengers were congregating in the back of the plane asking for water and other beverages while staff sat eating their lunch and snacks. We understand that they are entitled to breaks, but they were hardly visible in the cabin other than to deliver meals. Although our flight home was on a new plane and staff were much more accommodating, we were unable to do online check in, and were told that our seats were pre-selected for us. My husband and I were seated at least six rows apart.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  11 March 2014 by P Wilson (Canada)

The flight from Vancouver to Guangzhou was terrible, tight cramped seats in a less than clean plane. Washrooms were smelly and poorly maintained. Service was minimal, had to go to the back of the plane where staff were socializing, to request a beverage. The return flight was on their new Dreamliner, which was clean, however seating was small and very cramped. We had booked these flights months in advance but there was no option to book seats and were forced to sit apart!

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  11 March 2014 by Maarten Jonkman (Netherlands)

Amsterdam - Guangzhou - Auckland v.v. in Boeing 787 and Airbus A330-200. Good modern planes with friendly and helpful staff. Food good for an airplane. Legroom good enough for my 1.90m. Seats rather hard to sit on. No delays or other incidents. Most passengers were Chinese speaking, but a considerable number not. Overall the command of English of the FA's was poor.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by Kevin Noss (USA)

A frequent flyer of China Southern, mostly flying between Chinese major cities. Unlike the other reviews, I think their service is excellent, flight attendants are nice and helpful. Last week from Shanghai to Shenzhen, we were given a free upgrade as they noticed we were with a 5 month old baby. Food was ok and the leg room makes the flight more enjoyable. The ground service is much more than we expected as we speak only a little Chinese and they did a pretty good job on explaining everything to us.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by Lisa Douglas (Australia)

I have flown China Southern many times. Melbourne to Guangzhou leg is not great compared to other airlines. However, I fly during the night so pretty much sleep anyway and don't have any need for entertainment system. Food is not to my taste so I take my own to get through. In terms of value it is unbeatable. Guangzhou to Amsterdam leg is a different plane and much better. Thoroughly recommend but don't get on expecting top tier bells and whistles. Great for the additional luggage allowance.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by P Hollin (UK)

Travelled London to Bangkok and back from Manila both via Guangzhou. Out of the 4 flights the staff on 3 of them were very poor and in cases extremely rude. On one flight a stewards jacket was over the back of my seat I took it off so not to lay back and crease it, asked a member of staff to take it who with a slight grumble literally snatched it out of my hand. As I was sat at the very back of one flight on take off I turned round to notice one staff member slumped in her take off seat asleep. These new Dreamliners they use have terribly uncomfortable seats, I didn't want to sit in them for 2 hours never mind 13hrs. I found I got a lot more space and nicer seating on the 2 short haul connection flights which used older aircraft. They were the cheapest though and had the route we wanted so would use them again but only if the price and route was right though.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by Hui Li (USA)

Beijing to Los Angels, CZ3162 (Beijing to Guangzhou) and flight CZ327 (from Guangzhou to Los Angels). My flights (2 in total) were all good. I spent more than 12 hours on the longest one and it was ok. I enjoyed the comfortable seat and the fantastic entertainment system. The food service was as good as other business class flights I have taken. Staffs were nice and helpful. Provided with a pillow and blanket that allowed me to sleep during the flight.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  28 February 2014 by D Simonson (Canada)

Flew from Vancouver to Delhi, bumped in Guangzhou. No explanation. Return trip 3 weeks later. Food was poor, special diets were not observed (Hindu given beef, celiac given wheat noodles), staff indifferent and were not visible for hours at a time. Bathrooms smelt, no inflight entertainment (paid or otherwise), asked to upgrade (not possible), small seats with only slight recline, booked months ago but were seated apart, staff had poor English skills. The longest stretch was 13.5 hours.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by Y Hu (Australia)

I am a regular customer with China Southern. From the past 5 years of Sydney-Guangzhou and Guangzhou-Sydney experience, I can tell the improvements the CS air has made. They have employed Australian flight attendants as part of the crew to facilitate the communication with non-Chinese speaking passengers. I flew on 19th Feb, CZ 301 from Guangzhou to Sydney, the new service style impressed me a lot. Cabin crew were patient and considerate.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  19 February 2014 by J Zhou (USA)

Dalian to Seoul. Dalian airport is convenient due to its small size. The in-flight service is great, the chief attendant noticed my 1.5 year old son sitting on my lap, and she managed to find two spare seats for us without me asking for it. Overall, I had a very good experience with CS Air.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by R O'Neill (UK)

LHR-SIN via CAN. After reading all the negative reviews, I was slightly worried about my trip to Singapore via Guangzhou. The Dreamliner was used between London and Guangzhou (12.5 hours) and this flight was lovely. The food was delicious and the entertainment good. Seats were also very comfortable. London to Guangzhou was very enjoyable (this flight was the most important for me in terms of comfort due to the length). Between Guangzhou and Singapore (4 hours), this flight wasn't as nice. I never imagined you could get such horrible food on a flight. I would definitely fly China Southern again, the price is hard to beat!

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by Lois Peterson (Canada)

Enroute to Delhi from Vancouver, a six hour delay in Canton. Crew had no English to answer passenger questions, deal with customs paperwork, etc. No entertainment on 13 hr flight. Headed home, stranded overnight in Delhi with 12-hr delay, expected to share room at hotel with stranger or pay 50% of cost.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  11 February 2014 by Devastotra Poddar (New Zealand)

29 May, Auckland NZ - Guangzhou CN, CZ 306. The seat was broken and wouldn't recline and I had to fly sitting up straight for the 12 hour journey from Auckland to Guangzhou. Was not happy with their service. Would prefer not to fly with China Southern.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  7 February 2014 by Mundy John (Australia)

SYD to LHR on 03/02/14. Excellent trip. Service was better than expected, especially since reading many negative reviews of CSA. The A380 flight to Guangzhou was almost empty in business class, which explains why CSA is taking this plane off the Sydney route, I feel if they were to keep with it their patronage would certainly increase if my flight was anything to go by. The food service was as good as the other business class flights I take. Others complain about lack of English and flight deck announcements, but I did not find either a problem. The A380 and the 787 make for a great combination for the Canton route and I appreciate the hotel offered for the layover.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  4 February 2014 by P Lylou (Belgium)

I flew from Seoul (South Korea) to Auckland (New Zealand) with this company and I don't have any complaints. I was worried at first because of all the bad reviews I read online, but my flights (4 in total) were all good. I spent more than 12 hours for the longest one and it was ok. The comfort of the seat is normal in comparison to other companies. The food is good, the staff are nice and helpful and there are plenty of movies, TV shows and music.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  4 February 2014 by Mike Orszag (UK)

First Class 787 route between London and Guangzhou. China Southern is the only airline with First Class on the 787 and it has a cabin with four excellent seats (the ones on the plane from London to Guangzhou were a different colour but otherwise the same as on the trip back). The service was outstanding - in both directions I was the only customer in First Class and I had 3 flight attendants assisting me. It was particularly easy to get on and off the plane - no hassles with secondary visa checks or other issues normal with trips to China.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  3 February 2014 by Colin Hughes (Australia)

Great value business class. I travelled from Sydney Australia to Manchester UK in January 2014 in business class on A380 and A330-200. Lie flat seats on all long haul flights which were very comfortable. Cabin and ground staff were all helpful, but could have been friendlier. Food was not up to usual business class standard. Overall a very good travel experience.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  3 February 2014 by Zhu Zhijie (China)

Guangzhou to Paris, check-in at was fast with my baggage. Nice entertainment system, the movies are new. Clean and quiet cabin. Cabin crew are friendly and efficient.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  31 January 2014 by M Bennett (UK)

On 3/12/13 we checked in at LHR for flight CZ304 and were kept waiting 1.5 hrs for someone to bring a wheelchair - it never arrived so my partner had to push me through to the aircraft. On arrival at Guangzhou the plane off loaded via steps to the tarmac. However as there was no lift available, and only two small framed men who thought they were going carry me, I had no choice but to negotiate the steps and I then I had to climb very steep steps onto the waiting bus. The return journey on 16/1/14 from Melbourne, flight CZ322 to Guangzhou. This time the aircraft went to the terminal and a young lady waited for me with a wheelchair- only to push me around the corner to yet another flight of stairs! After much ado a young man came and pushed about 2 miles and then onto a bus to passport control, this had taken approximately 1.5 hours.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  29 January 2014 by A Kudrewicz (Russia)

Moscow to Sanya and back. Flight to Sanya (with one change and stop) was ok, though food and inflight service is quite poor. Return to Moscow was horrible. Flight from Sanya to Guangzhou was delayed 2 hrs, so we missed our plane to Moscow from Guangzhou. Ground service of the airline was very bad. They were slow and spoke poor English. We spent almost 3 hrs after arrival to re-book our tickets, collect luggage and wait for the hotel transfer. Flight CZ6001 was very difficult. After check-in the whole flight was taken for a security check 20 min before boarding: you go for the check, wait, get a card in addition to a boarding pass, wait in another zone, then go downstairs to a bus, collect the card, then almost 30 minutes on a bus to the plane. Stop in Urumqi for passport control, you leave the plane, wait in line for passport control, go to wait for the boarding back, then take off. They feed you just twice - once between CAN-URC and then once between URC-MOW.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  25 January 2014 by A Pittaway (UK)

LHR-CAN-MNL and return. I must admit that when I booked with China Southern I was a bit nervous about it as I had read several poor reviews, but I needn't have worried as all the flights were fine. We were travelling with a 6 month old baby which proved to be no problem. There was no bassinets available on the LHR-CAN leg (which was fine as my daughter will not sleep in a bassinet at all) so they gave us a row to ourselves so we had plenty of room. They gave us a row to ourselves on all legs thereafter. Flights were on time. Dreamliner was all fresh and new. Food was as good if not better than other airlines I have flown with. All the staff were pleasant and very helpful - especially with the baby. The layover in Guangzhou was overnight on both outward and return and they provided hotels each time. Both hotels were of the highest quality. We managed to miss the bus to the hotel on the outward leg, so they upgraded us to the Pullman Hotel at the airport which is only a few mins walk. We will definitely fly with them again.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  22 January 2014 by Sarah Howe (Indonesia)

CGK-CAN-YVR-CAN-CGK, Christmas 2013. Best price by far. If you don't care about inflight entertainment, food, drinks, or service - but love saving that $1,000+, then just be ready. My partner and I prepared our fully-loaded and powered-up tablets, two foot long subs each plus copious snacks, a bottle of wine and a six pack (all bought inside the secure zone). China Southern does provide you a hotel - we had two 23-hour layovers - but you are way out of the city. We splurged and spent one night at a hotel closer to the uber-urban city center and it was worth it. The plane was safe, we were on schedule - efficient check-in. a sturdy airline I would fly again if time and comfort are again not the issue.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax