China Southern Airlines Customer Reviews and Passenger Trip Reports

4 Star Airline

a World 4-Star Airline

Read China Southern Airlines Passenger Reviews and China Southern Airlines customer trip Reports

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2014 by Ramsden Amy (UK)

My husband and I flew from London to Ho Chi Minh City via Guangzhou and Hanoi to London via Guangzhou. Flight from London to Guangzhou was on the new Dreamliner which was very nice and inflight entertainment was good, food was good and we slept most of the way as it was a night flight. Then had a 2 hour stopover in Guangzhou, as it was New Years Eve decided to have a few beers in the airport, this cost around 5 each but there was limited options to do anything else. Flight from Guangzhou to Ho Chi Minh City was ok, food was not good and the drink selection poor. Our return flight from Hanoi to Guangzhou was nice, it was a smallish plane with 2x2 seats on each side and the food was good. When we arrived in Guangzhou we had a 19 hour stopover and hoped to explore Guangzhou however the transit hotel we were given was a 40 minute drive from the airport. Dropped back at Baiyun airport 2.5 hours before our flight so were hanging around for a long time and the airport is very expensive. The flight back from Guangzhou to London left at 9.30am and I would say this was the worst of all the China Southern flights we had. An hour into the flight the stewards came round with drinks however the selection is limited, my husband is a diabetic so cannot drink coca cola or other sugary fizzy drinks, they had no diet drinks so the only options were tea or water. They did not have any alcoholic drinks. We were given a meal after the drinks were served and it was a choice of chicken or beef, I had chicken with rice, the chicken tasted awful. After the meal we were left to relax and watch movies, there wasn't a great selection but enough to keep you going for 11 hours. The second meal was actually quite nice although I would have eaten anything at that point. I feel it is unacceptable to feed people twice on an 11.5 hour day flight, on other airlines they usually provide a small sandwich or something in the middle and offer more drinks. Overall my experience just proves you get what you pay for and I have decided I am only flying direct from now onwards.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  17 January 2014 by R Garcia (Australia)

MEL-CAN-MAD-CDG-CAN-MEL, December 2013/January 2014. Decided to give it another go, however no major changes. On the positive side departed and arrived on time, entertainment system good and it was the cheapest fare available at the time. On the negative side no online check-in, food very plain and with strange combinations, drinks are always hot and have to request ice, the English language is lacking. If it was not for the cheap fare we would not fly with them. We feel sorry for the passengers that pay for Air France service and instead get China Southern service due to the code sharing.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  17 January 2014 by L Freeman (UK)

Flight from Heathrow to Guangzhou to Brisbane - very good, easy transfer. Return flight spoilt by confusion with overnight accommodation in Guangzhou, took 3.5 hrs between arrival and reaching hotel. Very poor information re. delay we just got moved about and nobody would answer our queries. Hotel was excellent. Only other comment is the difficulty of understanding in-flight information-needs more pre-recorded announcements to be sure everybody understands. Overall very good value for money.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  17 January 2014 by Karuniadi Shuni (Indonesia)

The English version of their website is complicated. Somewhat a lottery. Then when it comes to a form where I have to specify whether to book as a member or non-member, if I select "non-member", I will have to enter my mobile number. However, it seems that the entry is programmed only for Chinese mobile numbers. I tried various formats, all failed. The entries aren't flexible for international use. I couldn't get through just by filling in the form. Due to the locations in China I have been traveling to, I have no other choice than CSA. During those bookings online, payment failure has frequently occurred. I can try ten times in a row and fail ten times. Getting through until successful payment with CSA online in the English version is like winning a lottery. Although serving an international flight, the crews on board barely speak a word of English. The English announcement heard through the loudspeaker on board requires high intelligence to understand. I saw fellow passengers playing with their mobile phones and crew saw them but said nothing. But when I did the same, I was required to turn off mine. It wasn't during take off or landing. I tried to explain that I have set my mobile phone to "Airplane Mode On". However, no matter how hard I tried to explain, the stewardess didn't accept it. Would I recommend CSA? Yes, but only if you don't have any other option for your destination.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  15 January 2014 by Philip Pellatt (UK)

First Class new planes, badly fitted out by China Southern, The seats in the new Boeing Dreamliner are cramped and very badly padded. Why oh why would they do this on planes used for 14hr flights. The food is by far the worst I have had. Very poor quality and selection and worst of all served cold, which in my mind is dangerous. The staff however I thought were very pleasant and helpful.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  15 January 2014 by Samantha Jones (Australia)

Perth-to LAX via Guangzhou was on time but the food was not good. They didn't have any ice or any diet fizzy drinks. LAX-to-Perth via Guangzhou with a 16 hour layover. LAX staff arranged a hotel for the 16 hour ahead of time and upon arrival we were handled very professionally and taken to a hotel about 30 min drive from the airport and picked up and taken back to the airport with no problems. The hotel was clean and had a great breakfast for us. It was half the price of Qantas so I'd do it again.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by S Avant (Australia)

SYD-CAN-LHR return. Out on an A330 late at night so a good sleep on a flat bed although my IFE was not working well and the FA's, I think because they couldn't speak much English, were not able to do much about it. CAN to LHR on 787. Great seats/beds. No noise cancelling headphones, amenities to speak of and dumplings for breakfast! Asked for a drink but there is no menu. Explained Whisky and so when the FA turned up with a bottle to ask if this was Whisky I was pleased. Served in a Martini glass! Food was ok. Picked up 1 hr plus on the return trip but how would you know, not one single announcement from the flight deck. Asked for Eggs for breakfast but whilst there was only 8 in our class, they were sold out! Dumplings for breakfast. A380 CAN to Sydney. Lovely seats and setup. Bulgari pack and noise cancelling head phones on a quiet plane. Overall a real interesting experience.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by Denis Sullivan (Australia)

Just returned from a trip Oz - Guangzhou plus an internal flight. The planes (A380 and A320) were very satisfactory being modern and adequately comfortable, albeit with minimal seat and aisle sizes. Every flight seemed full. I would strongly recommend a home-packed picnic basket for self catering on board, including a screw- top bottle of wine from the duty free shop airside. I considered the food served minimalist, unpalatable and easily bypassed. The cabin attendants are well below international standard. Could even learn from Lufthansa and KLM! If CSA were the most convenient and best value option I would travel again with them but follow my own advice above.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2014 by D Huynh (USA)

19 Dec 2013 from LAX to MEL with layover in China. 28 hours of flying. 29 Dec 2013 Mel to Ho Chi Minh and back home on 11 Jan 2014. Flight was $500 cheaper than anyone else. CS got me there in a timely matter. I was relatively comfortable. had no problem eating the food, I'm not very picky. My partner couldn't eat the cooked/main dish, she just filled up on bread and fruits. On our flight they had some noodle bowls as snacks for people who couldn't eat the food. English is not their strong point but I just pointed at what I wanted and they helped me. Movies were good but I tried to sleep as much as possible. The point is if you don't have money and you are not picky go ahead and fly with CS if they are the cheapest. The flight is just a small part of your vacation, you get more bang for your buck spending it on something else. If you want good food, go to a nice restaurant. If you want to be pampered, go to a spa. Will I fly with them again? Who knows, I always buy the cheapest airline ticket.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2014 by N Stewart (Australia)

Business Class, SYD-CAN, A380. Great aircraft as always. Nice and quiet. Crew pleasant with enough English to get by. No pilot announcements as is typical of Chinese airlines. Seat very similar to Emirates version albeit without a lot of the bells and whistles. Gone is the soft drinks minibar replaced with a solitary small bottle of water - probably all you need though. Seat is fully flat and plenty of room and foot room. No massage function but again, is it really necessary? Never got to try mattress or quilt. I hear they give PJs too but never saw any. Storage is plentiful especially for a window seat where there are two storage boxes under the windows. AVOD is pretty good. OK not the vast selection of Emirates but enough to keep you occupied with reasonably recent films. Not far off Qantas. Screen is maybe 17" and touchscreen that responds well. Controls are under the screen as is headphone socket. Brought my own headphones which were just long enough to work from a comfortably seated position. Food. Not too bad but: the cabin crew bring out the main (lamb rack) and I'm not even half way through the entree (nice salmon and beef pastrami). Attendant left the main on top of the side storage. What's the rush? We've got eight hours left. For the next meal, it was a very tasty chicken pie with a fruit plate. To become a 'great' service, this should've been brought out one plate at a time. And the pie was lukewarm at best but tasty and I was hungry. Plenty of seat belt sign action throughout the flight but he crew didn't seem too bothered about it to the extent Qantas would be. All in all, good on A380 but potential to be great if they bothered. Shame rumours are CZ are to cease flying the A380 on this route later in the year. Nothing can touch it at the price.

First Class, CAN-NGB. Flight late departing but arrived only 5 mins late. A319 aircraft. Standard regional biz class type seat. AVOD was provided after takeoff via portable Panasonic unit. Food was nice, tasty and served hot. Only issue was being served a glass with a crack in it. Cabin crew were diligent as there were only two seats used in the eight seats at the front of the plane.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  13 January 2014 by Dmitry Kuzin (Russia)

HKG-PEK. Flight CZ309. New aircraft A321. Clean cabin. Good seat comfort. Flight attendants are efficient and attentive. Departure and arrival according to the schedule. Food was very good and served in due time. Nice choice of beverages. Baggage arrived shortly. Very easy to find an airline representative at the airport.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  10 January 2014 by J Alvizo (UK)

CDG (Air France) - CAN-BKK-CAN-LHR. By jointly selling their flights with Air France, China Southern has fully demonstrated just how below average their service actually is. CZ seriously needs to reconsider their service on their shorter sectors (CAN-BKK-CAN). The language skill for their cabin staff on these sectors were laughable. Food is virtually inedible. Drinks served warm, only red or white wine, and on the return flight - a male flight attendant simply handed out meals without asking what the passenger would like (despite there being choices of chicken or fish). Transit in Guangzhou is efficient, however the quality of ground staff seriously needs addressing. I had a slight issue with my booking when checking in at CDG and was strongly advised to check with customer service once landed in CAN. At the counter, the staff simply wrote down the phone number of the call centre and was told to go away. The long flight (787) was comfortable and food marginally better than shorter flights. However still relatively poor in quality compared with other Asian or European airlines flying a comparable route. The command of English was also marginally better, but still not great. No communication whatsoever from the flight crew for any of the flights despite delays, stacking and turbulent flights.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  10 January 2014 by Margaret Johnston (UK)

Just returned from New Zealand via Guangzhou. Aircraft great, service very poor. Not enough supplies ie drinks food etc. Ran out of soft drinks, wine, beer half way through first service on all four legs. Left with only choice of water or orange juice.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  10 January 2014 by S White (Japan)

China Southern changed my flights twice. Travellers lose peace of mind when this happens too often. Onboard, the touch function on the entertainment screen did not work, so no music or TV. Airline staff customer care skills (major weak point). Cabin crew show a very low level of courtesy and customer care skills. New aircraft with third-world service. Female cabin crew rush past calling out arrival cards, they don't look at passengers, so I had to call her back. Some flight options are cheap, if the low service is acceptable, make your choice. I will pay more for basic service in future. Eat the cooked meal at your own risk - fruit and salad were good.

China Southern Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by M Collins (New Zealand)

CZ304 and CZ305, flew out 28th Nov, back 3rd Jan. Had a great trip in Dec 2013 from Auckland to Gatwick on the new 787, business class. Comfort and service were excellent, would fly them again.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax