Air Canada rouge Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

Air Canada rouge
1.0 Star Rating: Very poor

1 2 3 4

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 June 2014 by S Dancausse    (Canada)

Higher priced than competition such as Air Transat, Sunwing or Westjet, but not much comfort, you pay for everything, even for blankets. Audio or video is not for anyone anymore. You need an ipad and you receive multimedia via wifi streaming. For half of passengers, it does not work because prior to boarding you had to download an app to watch movies, and for the other half, a good proportion did not use headphones and had their ipads at full volume. People hang their ipads on the seat in front of them and it falls during turbulence, not very safe. For legs it is not comfortable. If the passenger in front of you reclines and there is an emergency, you're stuck, impossible to get out of your seat except if you're a contortionist. Tables are not adapted for North American market, if you have a belly, something you see more and more in Canada, the table rests on your belly and can't be flat. But there are some good points, flight attendants are smiling and courteous, and the flight went well in general, on time. But mainly because the lack of comfort during the whole flight, my girlfriend and I will avoid Air Canada knowing that at any moment we can be "Rouged". It sounds like someone found a good way to sabotage Air Canada.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 June 2014 by G Headrick    (USA)

AC 1908, Toronto to Dublin, 5/28/14 and AC 1909, Dublin to Toronto, 6/6/14. Worst International flight I've ever had and, having lived out of the country for 10 years, I been on innumerable flights. Seats feel like they were reclaimed off of a discarded school bus. Thinnest I've seen. No leg room and sardines would feel relieved. I'm surprised they didn't charge to turn on the air as they charge for everything else and the chicken didn't even taste like chicken. We were so tired on landing that it ruined the first day in Dublin so no value. I use to live in Canada and thought AC was pretty decent but they really screwed up with this.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 June 2014 by L Nat    (Canada)

I have tried Rouge twice. They first time was awful, but as always I give everything a second chance. The second time was even worse. There is no leg room at all, none. I am 6 foot tall 205 lbs, which is average, and my knees were almost in my chest. Shame on you Air Canada for doing this. Its impossible for a guy like me to sit in those seats. No entertainment so I stared at the back of my seat for 3 hours. The second time I bought my Ipad and they entertainment was way outdated. Come on air Canada really? I do like the new outfits and younger more pleasant attendants. But, my personal experiences are not good. Will avoid them at all costs, even if I have to use 2 planes.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 June 2014 by John Schuit    (Canada)

In the middle of a 3-week stay in Barbados. Dread the thought of the trip home. AC Rouge was startlingly inadequate. The tray would not come down when the seat was tilted back. Very cramped. Insult to injury, the attendants and the pilot said numerous times, "sit back and enjoy the flight." Really! Last time for the Peoples' Airline for me if I can help it.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 June 2014 by Marco Gilbert    (Canada)

Flight 1914 on May 22 from Toronto to Barcelona / Flight 1915 on June 4 from Barcelona to Toronto. Onboard I began to look for the headphone plug and I was shocked to find out that there is no entertainment system available.…No TV, movies or music for a flight that is over 8 hours long. Only option was to rent an iPad and connect to the plane's WiFi but what do you do when you travel with all your family? You rent many iPads? Moreover, what happens when your battery is empty, again you are left with nothing to do but sit in the uncomfortable limited space that you have. Other bad points for Rouge, on the flight back the overhead light was not working so we could not even read a book. Rouge does not offer individual climate control so if you are too hot there is nothing you can do to get a little more air. The crew wasn't so good, they seem very disorganized and service was bad. When the meal service got to us we had no choice. We got our beverage long after the meal, and again they ran out of a lot of selections. I would accept a lot of those inconveniences for a short/medium length flight, but I cannot accept such conditions for long flights. Our experience with Air Canada Rouge was a disaster and I would never recommend Air Canada Rouge to anyone. And I will do all I can to avoid it in the future.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 June 2014 by A Cowan    (Canada)

We flew Air Canada 2 weeks ago (not Rouge) Toronto - Munich on an outbound leg to Athens. While boarding the craft in Toronto was a little disorganized, the flight and service was great and the flight would have rated full stars across the board. Our return flight was AC 1901 Athens-Toronto, only gets 3 stars for satisfaction as we did arrive safely and on time. That is really the only good thing to be said for it. This was an 11 hour flight through 7 times zones. The flight was half full so staff were not overworked. Unless you pushed the call attendant light, they were only in evidence when the very poor meals were delivered (not served). No choice available, limited beverage service followed 15 minutes later. One mid-flight trip down the aisle to slide some pretzels and 4 ounces of pop or juice onto your tray, and two silent passes of an attendant with a bottle of water, and the staff disappeared, at least in our cabin. No entertainment available at the seat unless you were willing to pull out a credit card again to rent the airline tablet. The worst of it all was the total lack of comfort provided by the seat. We do not like having the seats in front of us recline so that is not really a problem, however the seat design offers no support in the lower back and has restricted both aisle and window passengers from stretching their legs. The arm rest design means that you can inadvertently call the attendant or turn your light on or off. Others have commented on the lack of personal ventilation at the seat so I won't. A mixed blessing was having blankets and pillows provided prior to take-off. At 1pm this seemed a little like telling someone that they are being "put down for a nap". If you don't want them you must give up your limited space to store the items in the event that might want them. On the plus side, overhead baggage storage was adequate (however this was not a full flight and might be a problem if fully loaded). Washrooms were adequate but masking tape holding dispensers and bins closed does not inspire confidence. As has become the norm, the audio system was poor - either the airline staff need a lesson in microphone use and diction, or the system needs an overhaul as most announcements were so "mushy" as to be indecipherable. Finally, while we recognize that the airport is responsible at this point, the baggage pick-up was a bit of a problem as the overhead monitors specified one carousel but the baggage actually arrived on a different one.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 June 2014 by J Wiesner    (Canada)

May 30, I left Las Vegas on AC 1854, taking the overnight flight to Toronto. Check in at McCarran was disorganized. Not an auspicious start to my journey. As for the Air Canada Rouge flight, I will rate the following aspects as poor: 1) Professionalism: Upon boarding the aircraft, I was greeted by the flight attendants with a rather chummy, “Hi guys! How was Vegas?”2) Comfort: The seats are now very close together, with little or no leg room. 3) In-flight entertainment: Non-existent. I realize that I could have rented an iPad for $10, but why would I want to use something that has been handled by other travellers? This can't be sanitary. 4) Passenger information: The interior cabin lights remained on for the entire flight. I did finally find out why, but at the outset, no announcement was made by the in-flight crew to explain the situation. This left a lot of passengers both wondering what was going on and feeling very inconvenienced. This was an overnight flight. To leave the lights on (since the reading lights were apparently not operational) in order to allow a few passengers to read, is unacceptable. I am looking forward to a return visit to Las Vegas in October. This time I will be taking our two daughters with me. I would not want to subject them to the unacceptable in-flight experience that I experienced with Air Canada Rouge. We will be flying with West Jet. In the future, I will never fly Air Canada Rouge again. Lowering service standards is not the way to keep customers. You have lost this one.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 June 2014 by B Fisher    (Canada)

I flew Air Canada Rouge round trip to Dublin in their so called Premium/Business class. While we had executive class check-in, the quality that I have come to know in AC Business class stopped there. No access to the lounge or a priority check-in line. The seats were very uncomfortable with very little decline-trying to get some sleep on the over night to Dublin was almost impossible due to the dis-comfort. Breakfast prior to arriving in Dublin was almost non-existent-very poor. On the return flight to Toronto, no Cdn newspaper, wine served in plastic class, did not have the choice of meal I wanted. At least our luggage was first out. I also try to fly AC but in the case of Rouge, I will try to avoid it if I have other options available to me.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  10 June 2014 by A McLeod    (Canada)

Flew on Rouge from Toronto to Montego Bay and back. Great flight attendants and staff. I am a 6ft average male and the seats are slightly more cramped than I'm used to on Air Canada but on my last vacation on Westjets and previously Sunwing are no better or seats were about the same. Flight was on time both ways and I enjoyed the wifi streaming of movies and music on my iPad. Food for sale on board was fresh and lots of choice. Overall I felt very safe and that's the most important thing.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  10 June 2014 by S Liscano    (Canada)

On May 8, 2014, my husband and I boarded AC1894 to Tampa. It turned out to be one of the worst Air Canada flights we have endured. The seats were very uncomfortable, and extremely tight. The leg space was so tight in fact, that I was not able to open up the in-flight magazine and read it properly. In addition, the flight attendants were very young, and inexperienced, which gave us cause for concern. The French announcements were made by an attendant who was clearly not bilingual, as she struggled. The other issue we encountered was the in-accessibility to an entertainment system. The only option is an ITunes system available only to users who operate Apple products. The in-cabin hospitality was terribly slow, mostly due to the inexperience of the staff. There was little co-ordination between the food cart staff, and the drink cart staff. Consequently we had to wait more than 20 minutes for the drinks to catch up to our meals. To further add to our dissatisfaction, the hotel arranged and paid for by Air Canada, for the inconvenience of the overnight stay in Toronto, was not of a very high standard. The hotel was clearly old and smelled of smoke. The room was very small, and the climate control equipment extremely noisy and had to be shut off in order to get any sleep. The main reason for our dissatisfaction is that, we had booked Air Canada flights, and expected to receive the Air Canada service we were accustomed to and had paid for. We did not select Rouge. Rouge was forced upon us. We were not offered any suitable replacement flights, and did not receive any compensation for the loss of services and amenities. In future, we will be very strongly considering other airline companies and other options when we fly. Air Canada Rouge will not be an option or a preference again. It is our belief that Air Canada will be losing a lot of customers due to this change.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  10 June 2014 by M Cooley    (USA)

Flight 1901 on June 3rd and I was very disappointed. 1) There was no free entertainment, if a passenger did not have their own device for accessing the internet using the plane's WiFi. We were charged $10 CAN to rent an ipad. 2) The overhead reading light did not work for my seat. 3) There was no individual climate control (overhead cool air blower) available in economy class. Therefore I found the cabin temperature quite warm and uncomfortable during my 11 hour flight. 4) The emergency exit lights on the floor which the cabin crew referred to prior to take-off were not apparent. This was cause for concern about our safety in the event of an emergency evacuation. 5) The movie/music selection on the rental iPad was limited and unsatisfactory. 6) No magazines or newspapers were offered to passengers prior to take-off. This was disappointing in view of the long 11 hour flight. 7) The cabin crew were polite but rather unprepared, inefficient, and immature. They ran out of orange juice while serving beverages and I had to wait until the next beverage run hours later in order to get my beverage of choice. 8) There was no video flight map available on the airplane and the captain failed to provide periodic verbal communication to the passengers regarding our whereabouts. 9) No fresh towelettes were offered to us prior to meals. Thus I was obliged to get up and go to the washroom to wash my hands prior to my meals. This was not ideal given that the cabin crew was in the isles serving passengers. My overall experience was extremely poor and I shall never fly Air Canada Rouge ever again!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 June 2014 by Dan O'Neill    (Ireland)

Premium Rouge

I took AC Rouge for the first time yesterday from Dublin to Toronto with my wife and two children. Having read all of the negative comments on this and other sites I was prepared for the worst. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. First class it is not, but neither are the fares. Inflight staff were great, service was outstanding, food was so-so but certainly edible. I have certainly had many better flights, but I have had many worse flights as well. They are good value for money and I will fly them again. As for the in flight entertainment, we are pretty tech savvy, and I like old and obscure films, so it was great, but it may not suit everyone.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 June 2014 by B Mutton    (Canada)

I travelled to Florida in March and was quite surprised at the services offered by Rouge. I was shocked to think that we had a 3 hour flight with no inflight TV screen to be able to watch movies etc. I detest the assumption that everyone has a device to be able to watch a movie etc. and always considered it part of the entertainment provided on my flight. I had my 90 year old mother with me and she was very frustrated at not being able to watch anything while travelling. If the flights were dramatically cheaper I could understand not having all of the conveniences but we definitely did not pay a cheaper flight. We are giving Air Canada another chance in flying to Las Vegas in July but if we do not have a better experience will reconsider future flying with Air Canada. Based on the reviews that I see here Air Canada better rethink it's Rouge airline set up before it loses all of its customers.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 June 2014 by Selva Wahan    (Canada)

Travelled to Las Vegas from Toronto on May 30 2014. Flight seats were tight and very old. No more Air Canada.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 June 2014 by N Williams    (Canada)

YYZ-LAS return on as part of an AC Vacations package. I'd read the negative reviews online but thought I could suffer the inconvenience for the 4-5 hour flight. Got onboard and was greeted by smiling, cheery FA's dressed like they were going to a high school prom as opposed to being professionals, but as has been said they were friendly. I managed to squeeze into my seat (15C-aisle) which was not much fun and the plane hadn't even moved yet. I'm 6'3" and even with legs crossed one knee was in the aisle and the other was encroaching into the space of the middle seat. There is no inflight entertainment (IFE) which is fine as I always bring my iPad anyway but to see the FA's trying to flog rental iPads for $10 was in my opinion a bit tacky, especially considering the limited numbers. The FA's appeared very young and generally inexperienced. The dreaded return flight home was equally as bad and I was even looking for alternative routings which would allow me to avoid suffering another 4 hours of discomfort and general amateur performance. Unfortunately I was not so fortunate and flew back to YYZ on the 'red eye' departing LAS at 2330Hrs due to delays (flight was due to depart shortly past 2300 hrs). Again, the inexperience and amateur behaviour of supposedly trained FA's was on display with one looking as though he'd just spent all night in a casino as he wandered up and down the aisle with a dishevelled uniform, tie loosely done and top button open. Once the initial drink service was completed I expected the main cabin lights to be dimmed so people could sleep, but no the lights remained ON during the entirety of the overnight flight which I couldn't understand but of course given the rest of the performance it wouldn't have surprised me if the FA's didn't know how to turn down the lights! Overall, Rouge is a discount product being offered as a full fare, premium product which is wrong on so many levels. I've flown many low cost carriers in various parts of the world and they all share the same features (or lack thereof) as Rouge yet they're openly advertised and priced as 'low cost' and 'no frills' which is something Air Canada is not doing with Rouge. Never again will I fly this pitiful excuse for an airline, lack of legroom not withstanding and if Air Canada does not smarten up and listen to its customer base I will be moving all of my business elsewhere.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 June 2014 by D Maxwell    (Canada)

Calgary to Las Vegas direct, flight AC1896. Rouge is a clear statement of Air Canada's utter disdain for its 'leisure' traveller. God forbid there is an emergency I fear what might happen due to hampered ability to get in and out of seats with the reduced space - hard to articulate how tight it is but many men had their knees pressed into the seat in front of them and no room to bend over to put their things under front seat. Air Canada charges full AC fares - provides no fare discount to fly Rouge but the experience in every way is to fly a discount airline - but at full AC fare, which will ultimately negatively impact their bottom line - despite timing and routing options. The fact that AC flights can be bumped to Rouge makes me hesitant to book AC again - if I pay for a transatlantic business class - a pod - I don't want to be crammed in a small seat -3 per section! Never again will I fly Rouge! One upside - the FAs are, in a word, sweet.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 June 2014 by L Garrett    (USA)

I booked my daughter and her friend from Toronto to Athens. They were in row 27 Emergency Exit seats. My daughter said it was horrific and never to be repeated. Freezing in the cabin, to the degree shivering so hard she couldn't sleep. Served drinks once when took off and once 1 hour prior to landing. No service and she couldn't imagine how much worse it would have been in non-emergency row seats.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 June 2014 by Donna Baruch    (USA)

AC1914, May 17 2014. Flew from Toronto to Barcelona. A little over 8 hours. The seats were cramped with no legroom. I am 5' 3", 118 lbs and could barelyfit. No entertainment unless you had an IPAD. Then you could use their system, or rent one for 10 bucks! Asked for a blanket. Another 10 bucks for purchase only. Asked for a glass ofwine. Another $6.50! The one meal that we received was horrible. The "snack" was a dry piece of cake.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 June 2014 by S Lau    (Canada)

Took the inaugural flight from Montreal to Athens on a Rouge 767. I was expecting the worst given the extremely bad reviews given here, but surprisingly it turned out to be a rather pleasant flight that was pretty much on par with any of the many long-haul AC flights I have taken in the past. Seating and legroom were equivalent to regular AC flights (I am 5 '11"), and the food was even a bit better quality (although portions were slightly smaller). Wifi-based entertainment system seems to be Apple-centric and did not work properly with my Android tablet, although movies were shown on the overhead screens. Departed from the domestic terminal in YUL, which was a bit odd. Based on the other reviews I see, I would guess that the experience on the transatlantic flights on the 767 is markedly better than NA flights on the A319.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  6 June 2014 by Jim Noon    (Canada)

Rouged in March for a May YVR-LAX flight. Too late to change to anyone else. So annoyed I did an interview on CBC which went National. Crew was pleasant, seats were extremely uncomfortable being 6"2". Never ever again. It's all about the money.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  5 June 2014 by A Pedersen    (Canada)

Booked a trip to Vegas and thought we were flying with Air Canada until we got our itinerary that said Air Rouge. The airplane itself was run down and dirty. The seats were uncomfortable, but thankfully we paid for the exit rows so we had more leg room. The overhead bins are small and you likely won't get 2 roller cases in the bins. We sat in Row 27 A and C on flight 1851 to Vegas and my boyfriend froze the left side of his body on the flight down. The crew seem very disorganized and no one seems to really know what is going on. There would be an announcement in French only and as an Anglophone I have no idea what they were saying so here's hoping it wasn't overly important. During the flight we had some turbulence and the seat belt sign was on but people continued to use the washrooms and the crew allowed them to do so. Don't think they actually have inflight entertainment as this isn't the case. We downloaded the app onto our Ipad and truthfully it was a waste of time. Their idea of inflight entertainment is to allow you to watch 10 mins of a show and then it crashes, forcing you to have to log back on and try and find where you were in the show. This happened to us several times and finally we gave up because a 44 min show would have taken us well over an hour to watch and it was frustrating to have to keep logging back in. One gentleman on our flight even returned his $10 Ipad he borrowed as it's a waste of money when the entertainment doesn't work. We have decided that if we can't fly with Air Canada not Rouge then we will book with another airline regardless of price because this was horrible.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  5 June 2014 by W Nadeau    (Canada)

As a long time customer of Air Canada I will now be looking at other airlines for my frequent trips from Vancouver to California. Rouge represents a major drop in quality from Air Canada. There is no entertainment centre and the leg room is the same that I experienced on an Air Transat charter flight when we were packed in like sardines - my knees were touching the seat in front of me. Anyone over 5' 11' is simply not going to fit in the tiny seats. From my perspective this has severely damaged the Air Canada brand and presents a big opportunity for its competitors.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Tom McIntosh    (USA)

We flew Rouge from Venice to Toronto on May 25th. The flight had mechanical problems, which certainly can't be forecast. Hence, we were about 5.5 hours late. The crew was delightful, they did what they're supposed to do about the delay. The praise stops there. The seats were unbearably uncomfortable, and we were in the Economy Plus section. Our leg room was fine, it was the seat itself that was the problem. The poor folks behind us were packed in like sardines. This is the first 767-300 I've ever seen with 53 rows of seats. My wife and I both got swollen legs, even though we got up and walked frequently. I don't think we'll choose Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  5 June 2014 by J Wilcox    (Canada)

Flew from Montreal to Nice and then Rome to Montreal. Didn't realize when I booked that Rouge was AC's new discount holiday carrier. My fault. But really shocked at the age of the planes with the old drop down ceiling screens. I knew they had the new inflight streaming entertainment, Westjet is going this way too, but I didn't realize it was because the planes were so old! Don't think they have been cleaned since they were new either, the floors, crevices, bathrooms, walls of both planes were filthy. My seat from Rome was broken and slanted towards the centre. The flight attendants were very sweet, all of them barely out of high school. They giggled when they mispronounced words or messed up the announcement. Very cute but wondered who would ever lead whom should an emergency arise. I didn't like my odds. Would not fly Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  5 June 2014 by J Martin    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Booked a trip to Cancun from Toronto and was surprised to arrive on board and see the business class cabin had been replaced by some awful seats. You no longer get the business class you paid for, just a regular economy seat with nobody in the middle. Food and beverages were the same but completely lacking in seat comfort, complete bait and switch by Air Canada on this one, should have received a refund. Only good thing was I had two tray tables to play with. No IFE either and the streaming they offered, the newest movie I could find was Cliffhanger! Truly pathetic.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  5 June 2014 by L Johnson    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

I was switched to Rouge after booking a business class ticket on a regular Air Canada flight to Phoenix. The Rouge version of business class is shocking. It is the same small uncomfortable seats in economy but they do not book the middle seat. There is little to no overhead storage and people in business class ended up having their bags stored in economy, which made disembarking a delayed and frustrating experience. This month, Air Canada "rouged" me again by switching a business class flight I had booked to Hawaii. We demanded - and received - a full refund. I will never, ever fly Rouge again and I will make every effort to avoid Air Canada in general.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  5 June 2014 by Bob Cook    (Canada)

NAS-YYZ, 06/03/14. Worst flight taken. Legroom was non existent. I cannot agree more with comments from previous reviews. $10 dollars to rent an ipad! On the positive side the flight was on time.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  5 June 2014 by J Kornder    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Took 2 trips on Premium rouge (out of necessity, not by choice). One was paid as exec ticket YVR to MCO but YYZ to MCO was rouge without notice. Horrid seats. No space. Now they are expanding, wish they had kept at least one flight a day on mainline AC on these routes. I am a million Mile member, and not very happy with AC Rouge.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  3 June 2014 by J Lawrence    (Ireland)

Recently flew DUB-YYZ return with Rouge. Absolutely awful flight, the seats were absolutely tiny, the food was intolerable. I wouldn't regard myself as claustrophobic but I definitely felt a little panicky because I couldn't move my legs properly, and the seat in front was uncomfortably close to my face. I'd fly with Aer Lingus if I went again, or go out of my way to find a connection from another European airport because I definitely couldn't withstand the torture of this trip again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  3 June 2014 by R Brown    (Canada)

Dangerous lack of legroom. Knees touched back of seat and I am only 5' 8". Could not get my carry-on under the seat because the seats were too close. No wonder they ask people to check their carry-ons. Changed my return flight to another airline. Catering only to Apple products is unfair. Bring back in-flight entertainment centers, free movies. Not worth any supposed savings. Will never fly this airline again and I am long time Aeroplan member and always fly Air Canada. Revamp this airline now.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 June 2014 by D Schwartz    (USA)

We flew from Toronto to Barcelona (Flt 1914) on 5/29. It was the worst (non-weather related) air travel we've ever had. We spent $180 for extra legroom and the seats turned out to be in a bulkhead, something we never choose even when free because it's actually less room if you need to stretch your legs. (The bulkhead location had not been shown online during the purchase.) The plane was so cold we used blankets over our overcoats. Somehow the "ice" water and juice we requested were warmer than the plane. We couldn't get comfortable in the seats and couldn't get the air to work. The dinner was barely edible, and when breakfast came, we did not even open the saran wrapped bagels that felt more like dog biscuits. The flight attendants did not seem to understand they had a responsibility to attend. Beverages were not offered nearly often enough. We had trash on our trays for hours at a time. Bathrooms were littered and had no toilet paper nor tissues. We'll avoid Air Canada Rouge in the future.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 June 2014 by G Cardinal    (Canada)

Booked on Air Canada only to find out our flight from Toronto to San Diego was switched to Rouge. Too late to change or do anything about it. The seats are awful, sitting in the middle seat is torture if you are a bit claustrophobic. Being short I could not even see the flight attendant doing the safety demonstration and of course no entertainment. I don't know if it is another "benefit" of Rouge but you never hear the pilot and you have no idea where your flight is at (no map, no screen, no communication). When I asked the flight attendant how long until we get to destination it was "like about 2 or 3 hours but I will check". Never heard back from her (it was an hour). I don't know how the AC spokesperson can keep a straight face when she says passengers are happy with Rouge. I guess if they keep saying it they will eventually believe it. I will never fly Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  30 May 2014 by M Giancola    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Phoenix to Toronto, business class, May 30th, 2014. An absolute insult to people like us who paid for business class. How Air Canada is getting away with this boggles the mind. We have already looked into traveling WestJet for our next trip to PHX. AC will be a last choice from now on - enough is enough. The seats are identical to those in cabin area. Only difference is there are two pillows stacked on the centre seat which makes it unusable. Armrests do not lift either. Tight and very uncomfortable seats. Tray could barely support the weight of my Macbook laptop. These are old planes that are retrofitted. Very young crew did not inspire confidence. Tried telling me my seat # was B25 - I explained that was the Gate #. No beverage cart service. No snacks.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  2 June 2014 by Richard Paul    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

This was my second flight on Air Canada Rouge. Paid J fare for Las Vegas to Toronto in May. Leg room tight, no closet for jackets, no newspapers, meal service all over the map, ran out of wine and most disappointing once again the crew was poorly trained although pleasant. The only positive - it was a non stop flight. Will avoid Rouge whenever possible making my overseas loyalty to AC mainline more tenuous.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  30 May 2014 by Maryn Anderson    (Canada)

I recently travelled from Toronto to Athens Greece on Air Canada rouge - it was a most unpleasant experience. I would never do it again if I can avoid it! No leg room - could not cross legs. No entertainment features. Bathrooms very dirty after 10 hours.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  30 May 2014 by Eve Stevens    (Canada)

Booked our trip from the Bahamas to Canada on May 15th from Air Canada. After hearing about Rouge I wondered and checked the reservation. It was Air Canada Rouge, where the seats have been taken out, replaced with cheaper, shorter seats with no inflight entertainment or even a plug and they have added 2 rows. Not wanting to endure that flight with nothing to do I loaded the laptop with stuff to watch. We boarded and found out the man in the window seat had taken my aisle seat. After we fixed that, I found out why. He said he had been flying Air Canada for 22 years and had never had that little leg room. After we were in the air, I pulled out the laptop case from under my feet and found out I did not have enough room to open it. I slid it into the aisle to open, was told not to do that, but got the laptop out. I pulled out my tray, put the laptop on it, opened the laptop, to find out there wasn't enough room to open the screen high enough to view it. I am a thin woman so I pulled the tray into my chest and the laptop closer too. That worked and I watched a movie the whole flight. Every time somebody went down the aisle they hit my seat which jabbed the laptop into my chest a bit more. I can no longer fly the real Air Canada to the Bahamas, WestJet flies there too and they have normal legroom and inflight entertainment.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  29 May 2014 by James McLean    (Canada)

Have been a long time supporter of AC but after this first experience flying Rouge I will avoid it at all cost, unfortunately still have my return ticket. I always appreciated that even in normal economy AC provided reasonable room in seating - today my knees were pressed against seat in front of me, and then the person in front of me reclined their seat to allow me to get to know my tray table on a very intimate basis. Lack of services in flight just gave everything a very cheap feeling - except when I looked at the fare I paid I realized not all was "cheap". Time to stop worrying about accumulating points and start looking for a better airline choice. Found it interesting that they switched me from regular AC to Rouge on my Toronto-Phoenix flight the sent email saying we understand people are unhappy and if you contact us you can get your money back in full - no questions! Makes me think I am not the only one and even AC knows deep down they haven't got it right.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  28 May 2014 by Karen Hersey    (Canada)

I needed to fly to Orlando for a conference May 16 2014 and booked on Air Canada Rouge because it was the only option on the day/time I needed to fly. I was not aware that Rouge was the new "vacation line", the term the flight crew used when I expressed astonishment at the lack of personal entertainment systems. As a business traveler, I expect better options and was unhappy with the (lack of) comfort in the cramped seats, the lack of power at the seats, the slow food/beverage service due to the first 70 minutes of service dedicated to renting the i-Pads for movie/Wi-Fi. The crew were very attention and pleasant, which was a nice surprise from the usual variable AC crew. Regretfully, crew alone will not get me back on a Rouge flight unless there are absolutely no other options.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  28 May 2014 by S Rom    (Canada)

LAS-YYZ: tight seats, had an aisle seat and had to keep my legs in the aisle as there was no space in my seat (for a 6 foot guy). I don't know how long Air Canada will be able to get away with this, but I will do everything in my power to avoid Rouge. Overpriced, cramped and minimal value for money.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  28 May 2014 by B Melvin    (Canada)

We were jammed in like cattle on flights from Montreal to Orlando return on Air Canada Rouge. Legroom was substandard. You pay substantially less to fly on Sunwing and Ryanair for this type of service so why is Air Canada allowed to sell regular priced tickets for Sunwing and Ryanair type service.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  28 May 2014 by Gerry Mulgrew    (Ireland)

Decided to visit Toronto and Vancouver for a month. Wanted to miss London so agent found us a direct flight from Dublin to Toronto as leg one of the trip. Got tickets. Later that day the flight was cancelled. A week later flight re-instated. Two days before leaving flight time delayed two hours. On arrival at airport flight again delayed 1.5 hours. Lots of jollity, singing, dancing and dignitaries to launch this 'NEW ROUGE' enterprise. We the passengers not involved, totally ignored if the truth be known, after 'another' hour the flight finally takes off - 4 hours and 20 minutes after the time we booked. As so many others have said the crew were officious and diffident, the food was worse than poor, no entertainment even though we had bought an 'Android' tablet for the trip, so we had 7 hours and 20 minutes of utter boredom. Couldn't read either, none of my armrest lights worked.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  28 May 2014 by R Schellenberg    (Canada)

AC booked ticket got changed to Rouge with loss of seat selection. Seats were very small and uncomfortable. Staff on the flight down did manage to serve the entire cabin but did not offer iPads for rent to anyone in economy. On the return flight there was no food stocked. Staff appear to be uncoordinated amongst themselves to get the service completed or attend to passengers needs.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  27 May 2014 by D Domier    (Canada)

Calgary to LAX: 45 min delayed departure due to some issue with a seat belt, poor flight attendant service (last 10 rows did not appear to get served beverages due to poor coordination between attendants), little leg room. To top it all off, this flight was originally booked with Air Canada (with advance seat selection included). Our flights were switched by AC to Rouge, and they would not honour our original seat reservations. As we were traveling with a disabled adult and wanted to sit together, we had to pay AC another $208 (4 seats - 2 flights) to get confirmed seats. On the return flight (LAX to Calgary), our Rouge flight (along with another Rouge flight) was cancelled due to "engine problems". Imagine that, two flights within hours of each other, both with engine problems! AC did give us breakfast vouchers, but also promised lunch vouchers once we were through security. Unfortunately, after that point, no body at AC knew anything about lunch vouchers. The only good thing about this whole sorry episode was the replacement plane was not a "Rouge" plane. It had decent leg room and in flight entertainment. AC also mysteriously, credited back $104 to my mastercard. Could it be they felt guilty about charging me for seat selection on the return flight (seats that I had when I originally booked this trip)?

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  27 May 2014 by Gilles Lapointe    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

I booked 2 tickets from Montreal to Las Vegas in business class and paid more than $ 5,000. I was seated in the first row and have never had so little leg room in any airline ,including economy class. I moved to a back seat during the flight and I had more room than where I was seated. No place to put my jacket, no place to .ut my carry on, as first four bins were full with Air Canada equipment. No entertainment screen. They give you an Ipad so you can watch 15 year old movies. No place under my seat to store my computer. The flght attendant took it away during takeoff and landing and I had to ask to get it back after take off. The tray in the first row is very small and no place to put a glass. A passenger to my right spilled his coffee twice. Very inexperienced staff. She spilled water on me and no excuses. He would serve men before women. My travelling companion received a wet towel but not me or at least 5 other travelers in business class. The toilets at the front were available to everyone on the plane. I asked to hang my jacket and they told me that they do not have any room and to put in on the middle seat. When you book a seat in business class, you expect quality and comfort. The way I see it, I ended up paying $ 3,000 for our two meals.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  26 May 2014 by C Gottfried    (Canada)

For a transatlantic flight, it was not up to par. Many have complained about the seats. That isn't my biggest complaint. It is the overhead compartments - they are undersized. You cannot fit 2 standard carry-on sized bags inside them. I had to place mine about 8 rows back. The lack of decent entertainment/info system is wanting. Unless you have a mobile device and previously uploaded the player app, you will need to rent an ipad. I was pleasantly surprised that despite the notice saying that there is no power supply for devices, I did find there was one. The notice recommended having your ipad/mobile fully charged prior to boarding, but even so, I don't know of any device that can last 6+ hours. I know Air Canada is often criticized for poor service, and Rouge is not helping their reputation.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  26 May 2014 by Linda Egan    (Canada)

Montreal to Las Vegas. Many passengers I saw had tags on bags showing they were Elite status or higher. This was my first experience with Rouge, and I will do everything I can to make sure it's my last. The comments noted by so many; cramped seating, non existent inflight entertainment, etc, don't need to be repeated again. The level of frustration shown by most passengers who flew on Rouge shows such a blatant disregard for passenger comfort that it makes one ashamed to call this our Legacy airline.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  26 May 2014 by A Simmons    (Canada)

Montreal to Athens and returned Athens to Toronto. The airfare was the same as my Air Canada flight to Athens the year previous, so there was definitely no savings. Instead, for the same price I was herded into a Boeing 767 that should have retired from service 10 years ago. Dingy is all I have to say. I am horrified that Air Canada is now replacing all of its mainline flights between Vancouver and Los Angeles with Rouge.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  26 May 2014 by Laura Squires    (Canada)

I got switched to Rouge on a Barbados to Toronto 6 hour flight without warning. The lack of entertainment was not an issue for me as I prefer to read but the seat size (I am quite small) is not acceptable for a long flight. My other complaint is that the Caribbean is not considered International and therefore meals are not served!! Purchased meals are unpalatable! I am a senior who has travelled Air Canada (and TCA before) all her life, but will definitely be looking for alternatives.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  25 May 2014 by Jennifer Hooper    (Canada)

When people book Air Canada flights and pay full price, they should be told that they will be flying Rouge so that they have the choice to decline. The seats were very uncomfortable, there was no TV and the plane really looked decrepid. The flight attendants seemed to just be an extension of the the whole sad situation. I have flown Air Canada since the 50's and was always proud of our Canadian airline. I find it a shame that we do no longer compete with other fine airlines of the world. From now on, unless it is an extreme emergency, I will never fly Air Canada again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  25 May 2014 by B Parrish    (Canada)

I was on an Air Canada Rouge flight from Venice to Toronto May 2014. The plane had no TV's and customers are expected to download an air Canada app in advance to their own smart phones, i pads etc. They rent ipads for those without their own. The stewardess spent much of of the trip trying to trouble shoot problems with access to the system. Most people gave up and spent 10 hours with nothing to watch. That makes for a very long flight and makes the assumption that everyone is travelling with such a mobile device and wants to watch tv on their phone screen. This is not good customer service for such long flights. Also unless you had accessed the app before your flight, it would not run movies or TV shows. Despite over an hour delay taking off in Venice to Toronto no Air Canada rep bother to advise travellers to download it in advance from the Venice airport internet service. Also there are no "new releases" in the movie options. The movies are "classics" and as old as the ruins in Rome. The flight was late back into Toronto and we were given incorrect info from the crew as to the gate for our flight connection in Toronto and we had to complete our journey standby.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  25 May 2014 by H Millar    (Canada)

I paid for an Air Canada fare from Halifax to Barbados. Toronto-Barbados portion was on Rouge. What a horribly plane. Luckily, even with our flight almost full, there was no one in the center seat. I am 6ft 1in, I had to have my left leg over in the middle seat and my right leg into the aisle to get any measure of comfort and needless to say that was uncomfortable for 5hrs 45 mins. It actually made more sense for me to stand up during the flight. And the lack of individual monitors? Renting iPAds to watch movies? That's a curse in itself. The staff tried to be very helpful, but how can they help you get more room when there is none.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  22 May 2014 by T Fields    (Canada)

Premium rouge

I am only 5'8" and my knees touched the seat in front. Anyone 5'10" or over will not be able to fit in these seats without angling their legs. Staff young and friendly but inexperienced, and their cavalier attitudes did not sit well after being cramped for a few hours. I purchased AC flights but was "Rouged" with no compensation. Air Canada was really improving the last few years and has taken a huge turn for the worse.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  22 May 2014 by F Reddick    (Canada)

Premium rouge

I booked a ticket from Calgary to Anchorage with a stopover in Vancouver and like many other commentators on here, got my flight switched from Air Canada to Rouge to Anchorage (YVR-ANC). Fortunately I was sitting in the "bulkhead row" of economy, otherwise my knees would have been going into the seat in front me. On both the flight there and back (3 hours), the flight attendants came through once to serve drinks and offer food. I found their cheery attitude even more annoying given that the service they gave was subpar. When I checked in they had an offer to "upgrade" to premium rouge on this flight for $300 (which I did not opt to do). You get more leg room and 2 free checked bags, but that's about it since the seats are as narrow as economy. Getting free cheap booze and an okay meal is not worth that kind of money.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  21 May 2014 by Tim Leech    (Canada)

Premium rouge

As someone who is over 6 feet and 220 pounds the only word I can use to describe Air Canada Rouge seating is inhumane. I can live with wireless movies, no meals, and pay for baggage but I do need a seat I can sit in without skinning my knees. I can honestly say Rouge seating is the worst I have had to endure.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  21 May 2014 by T Brydon    (Canada)

Premium rouge

Great vacation except we were put on Air Canada Rouge flights by Air Canada (Toronto-cancun and back)- even though our original booking was on Air Canada. We were not given a choice or told of the change or what the change would mean (and it did not equate to any kind of discount). I have never been so cramped on a plane - I'm only 5'5" and my knees touched the back of the next chair when it was reclined - I couldn't lift my purse from under the seat in front (and bags bigger then a purse will not fit under the seat). My husband is 5'10 and couldn't fit his legs in front of him so had to encroach on my space. The person to my left was over 6' and also encroached on my space - claustrophobic. The first thing the flight attendant said to me as I reached my seat was "do you like the legroom" and laughed. One of the bathrooms was out of order for the flight. There are no movies unless you purchase a tablet for $10. We didn't try any of the purchased food so can't comment about it. Added to all this - originally we booked a 2 hour layover back from Mexico in Toronto to have time make it through customs and having to go through security again before connecting flights (sadly happens at TO airport)- our "itinerary" change to a rouge flight lowered this to not much more than an hour. Flight crew very friendly and young and inexperienced. This has put a very bad taste in our mouth re: Air Canada who we have flown dozens of times with in the past. We mentioned it on our air Canada trip home and it seems that others feel the same.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 May 2014 by K Herman    (Canada)

Premium rouge

I've been Rouged! Low cost, really? I paid for an AC flight and got Rouged. I didn't receive any refund as it was the the same price as an AC flight. Business class is a joke. Don't waste your money as the only difference is you get 2 checked bags and a meal. Seats are 3x3 with no one in the middle. Why put the 3rd seat in? Entertainment is worse than before. I have 2 more flights that have been Rouged and then never again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  19 May 2014 by T Feltham    (Canada)

I just flew Rouge for the first and likely the last time YUL- CAN. The first thing you notice are the seats. I am 6'0" tall and found the seats to be very cramped, uncomfortable and claustrophobic. If the person in front of you chooses to recline, your eye-to-seatback distance becomes very small. This situation may be barely tolerable for flights under 2 hrs but for the 4.5 hrs to CAN, it was tantamount to cruel and unusual punishment. The next thing you notice is that there is no traditional entertainment system. It is WiFi only and currently appears limited to iPad and some Windows devices. I have an Android tablet and therefore was not able to access their movie selection. What is surprising here is that an entertainment system that is designed around a bring-your-own-device concept provides no AC or USB access to power/charge your device. You also notice the "fun" attitude of the crew seems forced and disingenuous.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  18 May 2014 by P Shroff    (Canada)

Premium rouge

I travelled on AC/Rouge inaugural flight 02 May Dublin/Toronto in economy class. Much to my surprise this was on a new B767 My first class seat got transferred to Air Canada Rouge version of first class from Los Angeles to Vancouver, BC, which is a joke. This was done without my permission and without refunding any difference. They have 3 economy seats in the first class cabin on either side of the aisle and just do not sell the middle seat. The seats are narrow and uncomfortable. I feel like they are cheating first class passengers by selling economy seats in "first class". They provided a meal but that hardly covers the $500 plus cost difference from an economy seat.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 May 2014 by W Cooke    (UK)

I travelled on AC/Rouge inaugural flight 02 May Dublin/Toronto in economy class. Much to my surprise this was on a new B767 with wingtips and a good crew and the food was good too, except for those awful wraps on the second meal service. Seating was normal and didn't feel cramped. The crew were fun and always around to help. The problems with Rouge seems to be on the A319 domestic/transborder flights as I have nothing to complain about on the B767 International flights.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 May 2014 by Girard Benoit    (Canada)

These seem to be very old aircraft, repainted though, refurbished with the slim line seats which are perfect for slim line passengers - which I am not, even though only 5'3", my knees are touching the seat in front. In the washrooms, the doors still had an old metal ashtray. Crew is apparently paid to smile and be friendly. But after a half hour sitting on the runway, they disappear, and reappear when it's time to sell the $10 chicken wraps. I don t mind getting a low-cost carrier, but if I don't get the low cost, what is the use?

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 May 2014 by M Benninger    (Canada)

My wife got Rouged today, paid for an AC seat, got moved to Rouge without permission or compensation, old planes, poor leg room, no power, no food she can eat, no options. She has to fly it to get home, then we're WestJet and Delta out of Buffalo from now on. I'll be getting Rouged on Monday when I join her in Vegas, WestJet from now on.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 May 2014 by Kate Wilson    (Canada)

My husband and I planned a nice trip to Cuba with Air Canada Vacations - Toronto to Varadero and back, in March. Everything was great - except for the flights on AC Rouge. We are both tall, and were hideously cramped in the tiny Rouge seats. The food was expensive and terrible, if I'd known how bad it was I would have taken my own. Both flights were crammed, and on the way back we were not seated together, and were seated in the middle of a huge group of high-school students. Fortunately the kids were pretty well-behaved. I am now going to Las Vegas, and my flights have been Rouged even though we thought we were going with the real Air Canada. I am a frequent flyer, and will stick with AC because I like the lounge and use the points - but they are going to hear from me about Rouge. As others have said, it's a bait-and-switch. The late NationAir was better than Rouge - and they were awful!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 May 2014 by S Alleyne    (Canada)

Air Canada Rouge from Toronto to Barbados on May 12th. The worst flight of my life! I am only 5'2" and I have to say it was tight for me. The seats recline about 4 inches in total. When the person in front of my seat reclined the back of the seat was in my face! I felt sorry for the fellow in the window seat who was over 6' tall. I really don't know how he managed for the 5hr plus flight. His legs were stretched out the entire time so that he could fit into the seat. 2 guys behind me were hacking and coughing for the entire flight (not the fault of Rouge - but they should have worn masks or not be allowed on the plane). The staff was great and were cheerful throughout the entire flight. The overhead luggage bins are smaller than those on other planes. Then I discovered one of the reasons the bin space was further limited was that the crew had at least 3 of their bags in the bins so the paying customers had even less space for their items. I hope that reviews like this will be taken into consideration and that Rouge is not used on flights to Barbados. Also, the seats were hard and uncomfortable. For 2 days since the flight my back and neck have been in a terrible state. I will not fly Air Canada again between Barbados and Toronto until more comfortable planes are in use.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 May 2014 by M Dumestre    (Canada)

They are now the only AC option from Calgary to Vegas, which I fly 6 to 8 times a year. Awful experience with Rouge on my last, and hopefully only flight with them (Westjet here I come). I am only 5' 7" and my knees were just about touching the back of the seat in front of me. I did bring my fully charged ipad to view the entertainment. Unlike regular AC flight which offer the latest movies, the selection consisted of old movies, most of which I had already seen. The image was often grainy, reflecting the poor streaming quality of the WIFI. Staff extremely young and inexperienced, and no, i do not need their false cheeriness!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 May 2014 by Ray Mowling    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

My wife and I were on AC 590 from Phoenix to Toronto May 5 when we were told at check in that there were aircraft problems. Much later it came out that the plane was inoperable but instead of another AC plane they had to find a Rouge plane-which they did in San Diego so it went to Toronto then Phoenix so a 10 hour delay for us. The ground crew said they have fielded nothing but complaints since Rouge started. This was just the latest. I am a million mile for life AC client and my wife is super elite for the last 3 years. The Rouge experience is bad - no leg room, limited overhead baggage room (more people, same space), no entertainment system and every flight we have been on leaves late. It is the overhead baggage that creates the problems. At one point Rouge did not allow the same aeroplan point saving until clients complained and it was changed. Whoever came up with this concept did not consider their current clients. The price of tickets is the same and now Westjet will fly from Toronto to Phoenix beginning in the fall and they will take AC customers for sure. Rouge started with the short hauls and leg room can be tolerated for 2 hours but now they are on long hauls. Dressing the crew in designer clothing will not overcome these issues and in fact this situation is not fare to these staff and ground personal that are handling these complaints.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 May 2014 by J Casey    (Canada)

Last week I flew Air Canada Rouge for the first time, not realizing the difference from Air Canada when I made the booking. The leg room is absolutely ridiculous. I took a picture while seated. My hand reached from my seat to the one in front of me, and I don't have big hands. Service was lackadaisical. I asked for coffee, but was told it couldn't be served as the seat belt sign was on, which is understandable. On "real" Air Canada flights this has happened to me and the flight attendant has brought coffee once the light goes off, but not on Rouge. Rouge is not recommended unless the price is really great.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 May 2014 by Kari Alguire    (Canada)

LAS-YYC. I never brought my iPad and it would not have mattered due to the fact that the system didn't function. I was travelling on my own on this trip but had I had my children it would have been even worse. We travel quite frequently but only have 1 iPad so I guess we will have to rent them now for the rest of the family. I also see we can't use them for the first 20 mins or the last 20 mins either. Why bother to watch a movie on a 2-3 hr flight as you would never get to see it all. No more place to charge devices either. Air Canada had a pretty good thing going and now it has taken a turn for the worse again. Whom ever thought up Rouge was obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer. These types of major changes should have been piloted properly and reviews taken seriously. Very disappointed!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  16 May 2014 by J Csrroll    (Canada)

Awful customer service. The flight attendants care more about talking to each other than taking care of customers. Don't expect much water service -- expect to be dehydrated. There is a war at the gate over luggage due to the cramped seating - expect a lot of airline staff to be yelling at you. Seating is cramped, awful, uncomfortable. Avoid this airline.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 May 2014 by U Chatterton-Gilboe    (Canada)

Reserved and paid for regular Air Canada round trip Toronto to Puerto Vallarta last year for travel this April. Wound up on Rouge with a person with a dog in a carrier under the seat next to me. This left no space for the passenger's legs so he took part of my space which was tight enough already. When I politely asked for another seat I was told there were none. I walked the length of the plane and there were seats at the back. No entertainment, tablets for $10 that did not work, mushy sandwich, and knees in my back. Thanks, but no thanks - no more Air Canada for me. Rouge me once, but not twice.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 May 2014 by A Adamson    (Canada)

My flight was changed to Rouge. I didn't have enough leg room, seats were horrible and when I put my tray down it was so tight it touched my stomach. I have been a supporter of Air Canada but I have had enough. Flying another airline now. Will never touch an air Canada flight again. If you want to feel what a sardine feels like in a can, fly Air Canada Rouge.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 May 2014 by L Kolody    (Canada)

Rouge is a great disappointment. Air Canada has labelled it as a "leisure" airline, which is code for poor service, cramped seating space and price gouging. The number of "Air Canada" flight routes are rapidly dwindling with the carrier moving routes to Rouge service. Last week, I flew Toronto return to Tampa. The seating pitch is cramped. The passenger next to me continually had their head in my lap while trying to access their under seat storage. When the passenger in front fully reclined their seat, I briefly thought about offering them money to return their seat back so that I could have a few more inches of space. The entertainment system is not well thought out. Passengers on both my flights were not using headphones to watch their devices. Volume levels were on high to compete with the jet noise and their hearing aids. With the in-flight entertainment system, headphones are required to access the entertainment sound. None of the flight attendants addressed the lack of headphone use issue, but instead preferred to ignore it. The entertainment selection on the Rouge app is not appealing. Very sad is that the cost to fly Rouge in May was more than 40% higher than to fly Air Canada less than a year ago with the same advance booking time. I will not fly Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  14 May 2014 by A Jordon    (Canada)

I recently used the last 2 credits of my Air Canada Sunpass (YUL-LAS), that I purchased in August 2013, fully Decided to take Air Canada Rouge to Orlando from Winnipeg. The only problem we needed to get to Toronto. No big deal since Air Canada flies out of that city. Well, a typical Air Canada flight was then met with a fresh and fun flight on Rouge to Orlando. Inflight entertainment was easy to use and reliable. Young, hardworking staff. Both pilots stood at the front and said goodbye to passengers, something you don't always see. Was it cramped - not really as I'm 6'1 and was able to stretch my legs beneath the seat.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 May 2014 by J Raza    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

I recently used the last 2 credits of my Air Canada Sunpass (YUL-LAS), that I purchased in August 2013, fully expecting the full J experience I had paid for. Took the first return flight in September, and it was the mainline, perfect. Then my route got Rouged. Had 4 credits left, and I got to be the guinea pig on one of the very first Rouge flights to LAS. Late, broken plane. Inexperienced crew. IPADs didn't work. Then they did. Saw the selection, and was wishing it didn't work again. Service was poor to passable, seats were broken. Lumpy metal boxes blocking the under seat space for feet or bags. I just used my final 2 credits a few days ago and expected some kinks to be worked out, nope, same crummy IFE.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 May 2014 by Peter Adermann    (Germany)

Worst flying experience in a very long time. Flew AC Rouge back from Vegas to Calgary. First irritant was paying Worst flying experience I have had. Las Vegas-Toronto. Unfriendly and no service, nothing to eat, no entertainment. Very hot on the plane.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 May 2014 by A Feather    (Canada)

Flew Toronto to Las Vegas with Air Canada Rouge. Didn't realize when booking that this was the new discount airline. Had to pay $25 each, each way to check a bag. When we got to the airport, flight was delayed by an hour due to issues with the plane. Kept announcing more and more delays. Flight crew showed up, then left. When our plane was finally ready to go, no one could get a hold of the crew, had to wait another 10 minutes for them to show up. Carry-on compartments were small, attendants spent forever trying to rearrange them to fit everyone's bags. Maybe if checked bags were free, people wouldn't be trying to cram so much into their carry-ons? Seats were cramped, no TV screens at all. You can download an app for your iPad to watch movies, which they tell you about on the plane (app has to be downloaded before boarding). Or you can rent one of Air Canada's iPads for $10. Food was awful, not worth the $30 it cost. Usually like Air Canada, but will never fly with Air Canada Rouge again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 May 2014 by S Eder    (Canada)

Worst flying experience in a very long time. Flew AC Rouge back from Vegas to Calgary. First irritant was paying to have my bag checked. Apparently because I was flying on airmiles, I couldn't check in online. Got to the check in area at airport and the desk clerks were insistent I use self check in, which didn't work properly for us, so eventually they let me (and my party of 5) check in at the counter. If I wanted to change seats, they were going to charge me $25 per seat (by the way, these are all things that another airline provides free of charge). No entertainment system other than their "rent an ipad" system, I tried to connect my tablet as they indicated with free wi-fi, but because I had not pre loaded some app it did not work. Glad I did not rent an iPad for $10, because they only passed them out nearly an hour into the flight, and collected them an hour prior to landing (which left less than an hour for viewing). Leg room is a bit of a joke, and the speaker system above my head nearly blew my eardrums out, which was more than just a small irritant. Oh yes, nearly forgot to mention that for no explained reason, they changed the time of my flight to more than one hour earlier. I will do everything in my power to avoid flying this airline in the future. I think it might be time to trade in my Aeroplan miles for some other rewards.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  13 May 2014 by J Taylor    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Earlier this year I bought a flight pass (an 8 flt SunPass to be used from YYC-LAS) all the flight were AC. My first return booking with my flight pass, my trip there is AC with all the regular amenities - and leg room. My trip back however was on Rouge and all further flights on the pass look to be Rouge as well. I am tall, 6'2" and I actually "upgraded" to Rouge Premier which is their version of Business Class. My knees still touched the seat in front of me and the seats were no wider. Still 3x3 in "Business Class" upfront so if you pay for an upgrade (I used points), be very careful as you can still get a middle seat. Still the same as the back, no power, no entertainment. but they do offer an iPad with the App pre-loaded, which still makes me shake my head. No real place to put it with the exception that it came with a cover and you could sort of hang it from the seat back in front of you where in other airlines, the entertainment was supposed to go. Two problems with this. 1) the earphone cable has to stretch over the tray and if you're using that for a drink or food the risk of knocking something off of that with the earphone cable rises sharply, and of more concern 2), if the plane hits some unexpected turbulence, all of a sudden you've got iPads flying everywhere - at least far more than you would on an AC flt. All this aside, I still felt like I've paid for an 8 pass with an AC and got a 'bait and switch' to Rouge with no options. Some of us have to travel (it's not for vacation) and when we do and have paid for and expected a certain level of service (which I felt was fair and competitive with AC) and suddenly you are still paying the same price but the level of service, comfort, and even safety, has dropped dramatically, I can't feel but that I got bait and switched.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Stephen Greenberg    (Canada)

Purchased Business Class, Toronto to Las Vegas, horrible surprise. Very uncomfortable. We had to hold iPads to watch the entertainment. Staff advised to hang on headrest in front of us. iPad fell and spilled drinks several times. Paid for business class for extra comfort, very surprised of smaller seat than usual Air Canada business class.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Ken Gracey    (Canada)

Flew from Jamaica on a Boeing 767, good headroom, pleasant crew, but horrible placing of the 'press for service button' on the armrest, meant constant and irritable sounds of sometimes very loud multiple alarms going off. Even the crew were upset and they had to put up with it going and coming! If you can, fly a different airplane, I will definitely avoid the 767s.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Alyssa Taylor    (Canada)

After booking my flight to Disneyland in August 2013, we had a fabulous vacation. Tired and hungry we (the group of 9 of us) boarded our flight in LA to Vancouver, with a dead cell phone, fully anticipating being able to charge it on the plane. To my surprise, the flight had no way of charging my phone, nor did we have video to occupy our 3 hour long flight with our knees in the back of the seats of other unlucky passengers in front of us. My 9 year old son also had his knees touching the seat in front of him and a seat in the face as the other uncomfortable passenger tilted their seat back in hopes of finding some extra space. The flight crew were insistent on asking us how we were enjoying the flight, numerous times. It got annoying. Fortunately, we had bought snacks to prepare us for the dinner we would miss during the flight, and thankful we did because we weren't even offered so much as a bag of peanuts. As we were flying internationally, we needed to fill out declaration cards. Someone didn't stock them on the flight, so we had to fight our way through the small table outside of customs to fill out our declaration cards. This could have occupied some of the boring time we spent on the flight looking at the obvious hole in the seats where the video consoles had been removed. The good news was it gave us a great place to put our hands on so we could attempt to nap on our forearms. Oh and to hold onto when we landed. Fortunately we had wifi for our ipad! This was a saving grace - we tried to connect, no luck. This was when they came over the system to proudly tell us we could use the wifi for free and hopefully we had previously downloaded their app to view inflight movies. Much to our surprise, the wifi would only work within their app. But no worries, we could pay 10.00 to use a complimentary ipad that had said downloaded app on it. I had never heard of Rouge before, but I do now. I suggest you do not fly them. If I wanted to fly in a cattle car, I would have booked through a cheaper carrier. Shame on you Air Canada! Shame on you!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  12 May 2014 by M Bratt    (Canada)

April 24, AC 7971. It is hard to imagine what management thinks about when they make decisions totally focused on the bottom line rather than customer service. So with service now inferior, flight comfort at an all time low then why use AC? I was loyal but no longer. After a series of awful trips, horrible service and basically no compensation, then I will now be an airline shopper. I get they want to make money and I support that but Service and Comfort are what count. Rouge is just awful, it is like a charter flight with higher prices. Plus with no entertainment unless you have an Apple device, they don't tell you that so I wasted a few hours trying to download their entertainment onto my PC laptop. Worked out better as I spent the time reading. They launch this ridiculously confusing distinction program which I still have no idea what it is for! PS if you are going to Europe try Swiss or Lufthansa, both offer great service and comfort.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Stevens Eve    (Canada)

I have not boarded my Rouge flight yet, that will be this Thursday. I am not looking forward to it after reading the above comments. I looked at prices from the Bahamas to Toronto in March and wondered why after mid April, prices increased. I finally booked the flight I'm leaving on. I could have left April 17th for 240 Canadian but it was too cold in Ontario to go back. Now we are paying 271.05 each to return on a less than comfortable flight. I will see how it is but just losing the entertainment part is annoying. Does AC think we all have I-pads and i- phones? I will be flying Westjet from now on. Air Canada, not one dime of taxpayer money do you get for wrecking your own business.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 May 2014 by B Brandes    (Canada)

Air Canada 1873, April 22nd. Lousiest airline I have ever been on. Extremely small spaces between rows. Flight attendants cannot even speak French properly, they all seem like they just got out of high school, very non- professional staff. Will never fly Air Canada again.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 May 2014 by David Carter    (Canada)

Brand new "Rouge" - I am a frequent flyer with Air Canada but was "forced" onto their new "Rouge" service on a recent pleasure trip to Cuba. Flew "Rouge" Montreal-Holguin on May 1 return on May 8. Connected each way to YVR on regular AC. Massively unhappy with Rouge. Pretty new exterior paint, odd uniforms (what were you thinking?) but the bottom line is AC is forcing people to use Rouge and it is just a "bait and switch". Crew were pleasant and flights on time - but this trip was charter by another name! Seat pitch very poor, seats thin and anything happening in seat pocket behind ands up communicated to your lower back. The "entertainment" system (bring your own tablet or rent one for $10.00 from them. I had pre-loaded their required software and it worked perfectly on way down but on way back - failed and failed (same for man next to me). Crew suggested I needed newer software (hey it was new and worked 7 days previously). Next time if they force (and they do) Rouge on me - I am switching to a different charter airline (for that is what Rouge is - it is a bait and switch) for lower service levels - lack of comfort (oh and no business class cabin not even premium economy). I am retired and felt beat-up on this trip. Not happy. Better of with a "real charter" - next time I will avoid anything "Rouge".

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 May 2014 by Sharon Carter    (Canada)

A new expression for airline travel! "We have been "rouged". My husband is a very frequent flyer (Elite status) and always tries to use Air Canada. We flew AC May 1, YVR-MON-Holguin (return on 8th). The Vancouver-MON were fine (usual economy with Air Canada). Rouge is horrible, Seats are jammed in like Sunwing or similar, seats too thin and you spent hours being nudged and bumped by any movement behind you, food not good (as usual), but worst is the "entertainment" system. You bring your own and we did - our iPad all pre-loaded as they asked, worked one way but not on return. Crew were polite but suggested our operating system needed updating (in a week). Never again. There is no price advantage, there was no premium economy, sets are very cheap and above all Air Canada is trapping it's loyal customers into this trick.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 May 2014 by R Cannon    (Canada)

Booked two economy tickets on Air Canada in April 2013 to fly to Grenada from YYZ and paid over $1000 per ticket for a flight in March 2014. Paid extra for bulkhead seats. Air Canada switched flights to Rouge without even notifying us and gave away the seat selection we had paid extra for. Not only that but they changed from flying on Saturdays to Mondays. The seat pitch on Rouge flights is 29". This is one of the lowest in the airline industry. To add insult to injury, they awarded us a fraction of the Aeroplan points because the flight was operated by Rouge and not Air Canada. Wish there was a star rating for 0.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 May 2014 by R Brothers    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Never again. After so many years of loyalty but now feel completely "rouged". There is no deal, there are no option on routes - its Rouge or nothing. Business class is a joke! 9 hours waiting for a plane to arrive because they could not substitute with regular AC fleet. So why not inconvenience passengers who paid the same price as AC fares and then refuse to post comments on their website. Goodbye Rouge, Hello Westjet!

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 May 2014 by Doug Edwards    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

What a ripoff! Had business class seats but ended up flying Rouge from Orlando to Toronto in their so-called "premium" seats. What a joke, not even close to business and only marginally better than the horror story that was economy class. Crowded, rushed, and rude attendants. I learned a lesson here - to stay away from Rouge.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 May 2014 by Christina Mulcahy    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

My sister and I decided to go to Barbados for Easter. Booked business class. We were very shocked when we got on the plane and saw what Rouge defines as business class. Paid the same price as a regular Air Canada business ticket but definitely did not feel that we were flying business. Staff were young and trying their best but could not pacify the unhappy passengers in "business class". I decided to make the best of it but its difficult to enjoy your flight when everyone around you is so angry. The iPad we were given was a joke! Movies were not even close to be current releases. Every time I paused the movie, I was forced back to the beginning. Very frustrating. I think the worst part was the passengers from economy coming up to "business class" to use the lavatory. I had an aisle seat with people from the back of the plane forming a line beside me. If I wanted people to hover around me, I would have booked economy. When I asked the attendant if they should be up here she said no but did nothing about it. The attendants had no control over the situation. We were in the last row of "business" on the way home and had the first row economy person constantly pushing on my seat. Again, this is something you expect in economy class. It was a long flight which I usually don't mind when I am sitting in business. But this is not business! I am very hesitant to book Air Canada ever again as I am afraid that it will be another Rouge flight.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 May 2014 by G Herrmann    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

May 5 return from Phoenix. What's the value proposition for the customer. I still can't get an answer. We just spent 10 hours in the Phoenix spirit because of a Rouge malfunction with the plane coming from Toronto. Because it's Rouge and not Air Canada they had to wait for a Rouge plane coming from San Diego. We got this great service. Poor legroom and no inflight entertainment and at the same normal Air Canada fare. I'm a long time super elite. Westjet will be flying Toronto - Phoenix. Why wouldn't I fly that way in the future. I am so, so disappointed.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 May 2014 by R Macdonald    (Canada)

26 Aug, AC1924. 2 Sep, AC1925. Flew to Costa Rica, could not wait to get off that plane. Staff were too young, inexperienced and rude. Forget service, it was as if you were bothering them if you asked for anything. No in- flight entertainment unless you provided your own, unfortunately if your computer, iPad etc ran out of power there are no outlets for charging your equipment. Was planning a trip to Ireland with AC and once we found out it was with Rouge the 5 of us are now going to fly Westjet. On future trips will still fly AC but will not fly Rouge again nor will I book clients on Rouge flights. Sorry Rouge, gave you a fair shot and you failed so badly I can not give you another chance unless you drastically lower your prices to match what you offer.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 May 2014 by C Hopkinson    (Canada)

Flew from Phoenix to Toronto this week on Rouge. Boarding was delayed as the staff spent at least a half hour trying to get passengers to check their carry ons due to the fact that the Rouge planes have a much smaller overhead bin. That's not the only thing that is smaller and uncomfortable. The seats are tight, (this says a lot coming from someone who is 5' 3"), the entertainment choices are dated/if they work, staff are young and inexperienced, service was disorganized and slow. We will do anything we can not to take a Rouge flight ever again. I understand that they might want to offer a lower priced alternative to travellers, but there are no deals on their flights compared to their previous Air Canada flights. We're stuck with this as the only option until Westjet begins their service YYZ to PHX - with luck this fall. Can't imagine who thought this would be a good idea - whoever it was should be made to sit in a middle seat for a 5 hour flight and rethink all that Rouge has to offer.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 May 2014 by Gunther Trageser    (Canada)

On May 1st my wife, son and I were on the inaugural Rouge flight from Toronto to Dublin with regular flights from Edmonton to Toronto. We booked last summer and knew the flight would be on Rouge and the price seemed to be OK. Interestingly our daughter and her boyfriend later booked on regular Air Canada through London and paid over $100 each less than us. There goes the low cost airline, unless low cost means low cost for the airline which translates into rip off for the customer. The plane we travelled on was a Boeing 767. The plane we originally boarded had a broken windshield wiper and therefore had to be abandoned in favor of a second plane. This delayed our departure by over two hours. We were seated in economy class. Looking at the six abreast "premium class" seats my wife and I were glad we hadn't paid for an upgrade. The economy class seats are very slim and rows are close together. This might be ok for short flights of up to three hours but nothing to look forward to for a transatlantic flight. Further the seats hardly recline at all. Lacking blankets and pillows, good luck for some sleep and welcome to aches and pains arriving in Dublin. Entertainment is via WiFi through iPads or lap top computers with flash player. No option for Android devices. Anyway, I could not get it to work on my computer. $5 saved. The cabin crew was young and inexperienced in silly uniforms. Food quality was airline minus minus. A free soft drink was provided but alcoholic beverages had to be paid for (free on my daughter's cheaper regular Air Canada flight). All together, Air Canada Rouge is a rip off approaching Ryan Air quality. At least Ryanair is open about its cattle truck approach. After having failed with two attempts at budget airlines, what is Air Canada thinking? I expect Rouge to die and unceremonious death - the sooner, the better.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 May 2014 by B Harper    (Canada)

AC1760, Toronto to Holguin, Cuba, March 16, 2014. Return flight AC1761, March 23. Booked an Air Canada Vacations package to Cuba. I would generally use ACV because service tended to be a bit better than other vacation companies.I guess those days are gone. The flight was terribly uncomfortable. Seat padding is thin, inadequate leg room (I'm 6'3"), no entertainment unless you own or rent an ipad, and all this for the price of a regular flight. I'll be looking for other options from now on.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  11 May 2014 by S Ropes    (Canada)

Only problem I had with the plane was the seats. The entertainment was poor but it didn't bother me. Flight staff were good. I would pay more to fly on a non rouge flight but they don't offer any to Florida. For our next flight I have paid the extra $40 for premium seats, still in economy though so I hope the extra $ is worth it.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 May 2014 by C Turner    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

Round trip Toronto to San Jose, Costa Rica in Feb. 2014. We paid an additional, substantial fee for the upgrade, which provided slightly more leg room and the middle seat blocked off with pillows, providing more room to aisle and window seat passengers. Pillows! We sent Air Canada a complaint email regarding many problems we experienced in booking our tickets, finding out at the last minute that we were bumped down to economy, etc. and have not yet heard back from them. Next time we travel to Costa Rica, it's with WestJet.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 May 2014 by L Kolarik    (Canada)

I traveled AC Rouge on flight 1851, March 17 and returned on flight 1852, March 20. We found that we were on a newer version of the 767-300 with the wing tips turned up. The first class cabin had been reduced in size so that it was hard to get our carry on past the passengers already sitting without bumping them. When we got to our seats in a row near the back of the plane it was impossible to get our two regulation AC carry on bags in the same overhead. Seating was very cramped and my knees were tight against the seat in front of me. I had a window seat and it was very cold sitting there. My husband is 72 years old and has some circulation issues and could not move at all even though there was no baggage under the seat in front of him. We will not be able to travel AC Rouge anymore and will look for another carrier! We found the cabin crew was young and seemed stressed and not well trained. This gave me a very uneasy feeling if there happened to be an emergency.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 May 2014 by R Pierce    (Canada)

AC Rouge 1836, May 6 2014, Phoenix to Ottawa. This used to be an enjoyable flight until it was converted to Rouge. When we booked we did not know that this would be a Rouge flight for which we were charged for seat selection even though we selected within the 24 hour window of the flight. I am 6 feet and the seating/leg room was really cramped and not pleasant. Thankfully the person in front of me did not recline their seat. One of the washrooms was out of order which created long lines and difficult passage through the aisle and no doubt inconvenience and annoyance for those seated in last several rows. The crew made only one pass with the beverage cart. While I bring my own iPad for entertainment, others were left wondering where the inflight TVs went. The crew were very young-and likely inexperienced-their dress was unprofessional and I have doubts that they would have performed to the same level in an emergency as a more experienced crew. Good luck getting everyone out of the plane in an emergency, especially through the over the wing exits with less space to manoeuvre in. While we arrived safely, I am left wondering why Air Canada worked so hard to make air travel less enjoyable. I will not be flying Rouge again regardless of price. I will seek out alternatives even if it means driving to Syracuse to fly an American airline.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 May 2014 by S Robert    (Canada)

Premium Rouge

I flew Rouge from Toronto to Tampa for the first time a couple of weeks ago and upgraded to business using my e- upgrade credits - what a joke! seats are crammed, no entertainment and staff are very new to the industry. As a super elite member with Air Canada, I was more than upset that I had used six e-upgrade credits for such a terrible "business class" - these planes are awful and its clear it's all about quantity and no regard for the comfort of the traveler.

Air Canada rouge Customer review :  9 May 2014 by B Jon    (Canada)

Regularly commute between LA and YVR. Was shocked by the sudden change to Rouge - and that's the only AC option now. The tightest legroom of any plane I have been on - have to be under 5'5". All language is around "leisure" so it appears they have abandoned interest in serving the frequent or business traveler. Web site does not even have new routes on them. Premium service is a joke with economy seats that just leave the middle seat empty - but still charge you business class prices ($700+ one way). Paid the same price as I always have for less service and less room.

1 2 3 4