Air Canada Customer Reviews and Air Canada Passenger Trip Reports

Air Canada Customer review :  26 June 2014 by R Bradley   (Canada)

Flown Air Canada 100s of times and used to like them. Recently flew return Montreal to Edmonton. Paid for the flights because Aeroplan points are now essentially useless unless you book a year ahead. Also paid for extra legroom premium economy seats because of my height. On checking in discovered that we had been bumped to regular economy seats with my wife and I now on different rows! No advance notice from Air Canada regarding this. So I spent between takeoff and landing standing in the galley! Air Canada customer service - absolutely non-existent.

Air Canada Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Tercon Bojan   (Singapore)

Air Canada used the CRJ705 for this quick 80 min trip from Ottawa to Halifax. And you know what? The first class configuration of 1-2 is perfect. Nearly feels like a private jet! Nearly. Was also surprised that we got full meal service. Well done AC.

Air Canada Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Tercon Bojan   (Singapore)

Air Canada used a small and (24yr) old A319 on this Vancouver to Ottawa route. The first class seats are wide, however, with not much legroom, so you feel a bit squashed on this 4+ hour flight. The IFE kept breaking down, so they had to reboot several times during the flight. The service though was good, and they had a really great healthy breakfast option that I really enjoyed.

Air Canada Customer review :  26 June 2014 by D Hovland   (Canada)

Flew to YQR on June 20 and had a great flight throughout. Declined the lunch and the flight attendant was very attentive throughout the entire flight. Too bad my return to YYZ on flt 1116 on June 23 was not the same. None of the crew bothered to introduce themselves. Declined the lunch again due to health issues and asked for a sandwich instead. Told I would have to pay the $7.00 odd for the sandwich I was brought from economy! It was almost impossible to get a top up of my wine as the crew were safely ensconced behind the tightly closed front galley curtain and could be heard giggling away like school girls (all male crew). I have usually received excellent service in J but made to pay for a chicken roll sandwich was over the top I hope this is not going to be the norm on AC otherwise Westjet here I come.

Air Canada Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Pettifer Tim   (Canada)

Air Canada - Canada's discount airline! I fly 100+ flights on Air Canada every year and have done so for 10 yrs. It's sad to see the decline of our national carrier in recent years. Operations at most US stations are now run by outsourced contractors who poorly represent the airline and generally have no interest in providing customer service. Air Canada has relocated many of its US gates from main terminals with good services and lounge options, to 2nd tier facilities serving discount or charter carriers. The mainline now operates very few flights in North America, subcontracting most flights to Jazz, Sky Regional, and now "Rouge". The product has become so inconsistent, that unless one flies AC very regularly, it would be almost impossible to now what to expect when you book a flight. Hint - avoid Rouge like the plague! To offer Rouge as a low cost / low service alternative is fine - to discontinue mainline service and replace it with Rouge is not fine! It's good to see that the airline has become profitable, however if the product continues to decline, and competitors continue to expand their offering and provide a viable option to Air Canada's long held virtual monopoly, the profitability will be short lived.

Air Canada Customer review :  24 June 2014 by T Lovenuk   (Canada)

Travelled AC 001-002, YYZ-NRT, B777-300. Two class layout with the classic pods herringbone layout. Always love these layouts. Flew round trip June 5-11. Everything was excellent. Always impressed by AC service. Went to bed as soon as we took off and opted for the dine on demand service instead of the regular meal service. Crew made sure everything stayed warm until I was ready to eat. The food was great for 35,000ft up. Bar service always great, never have to worry about not having anything to drink. Usual breakfast before landing was so so. Only recommendation would be to time the meals for the time of day. We landed at 5PM, continental breakfast at 3pm isn't exactly exciting, but its better than nothing. Crew were fantastic always attentive asking if they could you anything else. Seats super comfy. Air Canada just introduced a new duvet and pillow with the launch of the 787 and they are super comfy. All in all great product.

Air Canada Customer review :  21 June 2014 by G Keith   (Canada)

May 28, AC 854. June 5, AC 855. For many years I have preferred Air Canada for my several flights a year between Vancouver and London. After a trip on their newly configured 777-300 with 10 abreast economy seating, never again regardless of price. The absolute worst seating ever encountered. There are options, and I shall use them.

Air Canada Customer review :  19 June 2014 by Woon Wei Seng   (Singapore)

YYZ-NRT on 77W (2-class, i.e. older) AC2 on 15 June. Return leg from earlier NRT-YYZ flight on 31 May. Again another full flight, so I couldn't change my seat in the rear. Thankfully for good weather in Toronto that day, the flight actually departed early and landed more than 30 minutes earlier at NRT! Staff service was pleasant. Food was again above expectations: the chicken with couscous was great! Unfortunately, the plane that day was out of potable water (only bottled water), hence no hot beverages or cup noodles could be served - disappointment. Thankfully in-flight entertainment was better than on NRT-YYZ: volume or sound system was still not reliable - conversation too soft but background music too loud. But the variety of movies was good, managed to catch up on old movies that I've been wanting to watch but missed. Kudos also to a particular flight attendant (should have gotten her name, she was also serving us on my NRT-YYZ leg) who provided me with Tylenol for my headache when I asked her at the end of my flight. By and large a good flight besides minor quibbles. I sure hope they keep up the good work.

Air Canada Customer review :  18 June 2014 by J Fox   (UK)

I flew recently from Vancouver to LHR on a new style 777-300ER. The seats are crammed in nine across in Economy with minimal legroom in a way which Mr O'Leary of Ryanair would admire. The problem is that what may work on a short European hop does not on an almost 10 hour flight and the full plane was unbearably cramped. Avoid if you can. The food was terrible, the Inflight Entertainment OK and the staff, who did their best in impossible conditions, friendly.

Air Canada Customer review :  18 June 2014 by J Humphreys   (Canada)

AC856, YYZ to LHR. June 3 2014. Seat 31K absolutely horrendous. Do not fork out extra $90 for this seat. You are on window side but there is no window. Leg room is good but the exit door bulks out in front of you. It is by the galley and the washrooms so lots of traffic. It is also narrower than normal due to tray table and TV being in the side of the seat. You definitely feel scrunched into this seat. Food was the usual awful economy stodge, all carbs, no fresh veg or fruit. So called continental breakfast was a slab of cake! Staff were the usual harried and not friendly bunch intent on getting everyone fed and watered in as little time as possible. I wish Virgin flew this route to allow for some competition.

Air Canada Customer review :  18 June 2014 by J Humphreys   (Canada)

AC 849, LHR to YYZ. June 13 2014. Seat 50K. Do not pay the extra $90 for this seat. It is a terrible seat, the only benefit being it has legroom. Everything else about it is uncomfortable, from being scrunched into the corner, to no window, to tray table and TV being in the side of the seat thus narrowing it. Armrests do not lift. It is by the galley and the washrooms so lots of traffic. Staff were indifferent, rushed and not overly friendly. Food was the usual economy stodge, loads of carbs, not much else. I had the chicken which comprised a dried out 2 inch piece of chicken, instant mashed potato, and 2 tiny broccoli florets so overcooked as to be almost unrecognizable. Dinner tray included a rock hard roll, no butter and unidentifiable salad offering. I used to think no airline could be worse than Air Transat but have now found a worthy replacement.

Air Canada Customer review :  18 June 2014 by P Anderson   (Canada)

I am a frequent traveller between Toronto and Orlando (at least twice a month). When Air Canada added this route to its Rouge system, I knew I would have a problem. The seats in business class are terrible, the food is awful and the legroom is non-existent. However, the price for a business ticket remains the same! This is what happens when there is no other way to travel (business class) directly between Toronto and Orlando. The staff are helpful, but they know with every flight, most passengers will be disappointed. If you are trying to compete with discount airline, charge discount prices. I pray that a competitor enter this route in the near future. I will move over immediately!

Air Canada Customer review :  18 June 2014 by Derek Cathcart   (Canada)

We flew the Dreamliner from ZUR to YYZ on June 1st. Found the environment in the new 787 to be an improvement but wonder who at AC signed off on the configuration and details. On our flight alone, we had a number of "spills" because the earphone cords come out of the forward seatback and cross the table (in both Y and Premium Y). Then there is the issue of the controls on top of the armrest that are constantly being touched either by your arm or the person to your side. Mid section washrooms should have been back 5 or more rows to balance 'demand' front and rear. Cabin staff were well aware of this after a week of operation and blamed Boeing - not their fault as each airline does their own interior. Have been on at least 6 other 787 aircraft from other carriers (AC's first is #160 that Boeing made) and the others did not have these faux pas. AC needs to address these issues ASAP as they have nearly 40 more 787 coming! Food was the worst I have endured in the past 2-3 on any carrier.

Air Canada Customer review :  17 June 2014 by J Kneijber   (Australia)

Sitting at Ottawa airport one hour after flight was meant to have left. No announcements, flight information boards useless. It would be nice if someone would at least let us know what was happening. I have learnt not to expect much from Air Canada, but this plummets new depths. Wouldn't mind so much if this was a budget carrier, but Air Canada is not the cheapest by any means.

Air Canada Customer review :  17 June 2014 by W Woon   (Singapore)

NRT-YYZ on 77W (2-class, i.e. older) AC2 on 31 May. It was a full flight, I wanted to change my seat from the rear but I couldn't. Thought that AC deserved a little more credit amidst all the negative reviews on Skytrax, which did scare me a little. I guess in general, where delays or problems don't occur, AC probably performs fine. Staff service was pleasant (occasionally a little less friendly). Food was surprisingly better than I expected: food looked and tasted decent (maybe it's catering from NRT), we were rather well-fed (2 meals + instant noodles), drink runs conducted regularly. Seat comfort was alright: standard fare comparable to other airlines, cant really complain especially when their new 77W product seems so much worse. Quibbles arise from the in-flight entertainment: mine worked fine but the volume or sound system was not good - volume was at maximum but sound was still terribly muffled (I could only hear half of the conversation while watching movies, making movies with heavy narration un-watchable). Other quibbles include the (at least 20 minutes) delays on departure and the very shaky ride we had due to turbulence - I suspect my seated at the rear of the plane meant more shaking. Overall I guess there has to be a reason why they're a Skytrax 4-star airline and winner of Best Airline in North America for 4 years in a row? I sure hope my return journey YYZ-NRT remains like this or better.

Air Canada Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Kowal Zdzislaw   (Canada)

We booked our flights 7 months ahead of our trip and were rescheduled 3 times by the time we flew. Left Winnipeg late on flight AC 270 and arrived late in Toronto. Staff onboard were great and they asked everybody to wait in their seats until passengers needing to catch connecting flights were off the plane. That is exactly what happened and we and some other passengers were off the plane proceeding quickly to a gate where we were supposed to board AC 876. The connecting plane was still there, yet we and some other passengers (10 in total) were not allowed to board. Sent to a customer service desk, given hotel and food vouchers and told to arrange new flights ourselves! It took about an hour and half on the phone to do that.

Air Canada Customer review :  11 June 2014 by J Khan   (Canada)

I booked on Air Canada in January. They sent me a revised itinerary in March. They then sent another revised itinerary in Late April just before my flight. I checked the time and saw that the seats I had reserved and paid for were correct. I ended up being rebooked by Air Canada on Rouge. It was horrible. There was no legroom. You can't recline the seat more than an inch. There was an entertainment system that required you to have your own tablet but when you went to the app there were no first rum movies. My initial flight was on a different type of plane so my original seats didn't match up and my husband and I had someone sitting between us. When I complained to Air Canada I was told that they can bump people to a lower class ticket than you purchased and they hoped to see me soon on another Air Canada flight. They couldn't understand why having booked Air Canada I was upset being downgraded to Rouge.

Air Canada Customer review :  10 June 2014 by C Shannon   (Canada)

My partner and I have had sporadic good/bad service with Air Canada in the past, and until this year I have been fairly neutral about them. However my partners continued poor service through Air Canada for his work trips since February has made me rethink my opinion on them. He has had multiple flights with AC from Toronto to Newark Intl for work, and it seems over the last 4 months the service has continued to degrade. AC has continued to overbook flights. On top of overbooking, every flight seems to range between late and very late. This level of tardiness could be explained away in February as bad weather, but now with not even a cloud in the sky the excuse has gone to continual maintenance issues. As I type this my partner is still sitting in his now 4 hour delay with no explanation why the crew can't seem to get the plane off the ground. I understand things happen sometimes, but the way problems are handled is clearly an issue this airline needs to work on. Not all of our service has been bad, but all of the recent service has been rather poor. The additional seat area with more legroom is a very nice option for customers, and the little TV screens offering movies and music are also very welcome and help with longer flights. However, food options are questionable, and as I mentioned, tardiness and rude attending staff at the terminals, coupled with recent check-in issues (like not being able to print boarding passes online) really sour the service.

Air Canada Customer review :  9 June 2014 by Joe Stephan   (Switzerland)

Flew Zurich ZRH to Toronto YYZ on new 787 Dreamliner. Good air quality and I felt noticeably great after the flight. Flight arrived in Toronto 1/2 hour early. The food was nothing special for economy but what can one expect. Staff were friendlier than usual, but still in their no-nonsense manner. Seats are not wide, but comfortable. They have a problem with the position of the controls on the armrest, just by putting your hand on the rest activates the staff call button. Was disappointed about the movie selection, just a few blockbusters.

Air Canada Customer review :  9 June 2014 by Simon Reusch   (Denmark)

Travelled Copenhagen - Toronto on May 30 2014 and return on June 7 2014. Overall one of the best transatlantic flights I've experienced in economy class. The entertainment system is top of the class. Large clear screen, and a lot of brand new movies to choose from. Of course you should bring your own favourite headset for an optimized experience. Food was excellent on the outbound flight, and mediocre on the return. Seating pitch as good as it gets on economy.